Re: Medican Holdings Ltd., 2013 ABQB 224
Opinion
Court of Queen ’ s Bench of Alberta Citation: Re: Medican Holdings Ltd., 2013 ABQB 224 Date: 20130423 Docket: 1001 07852 Registry: Calgary In the Matter of The Companies ’ Creditors Arrangement Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. C-36, as Amended and The Judicature Act , R.S.A. 2000, c.
J-2, as Amended Between: And the Matter of a Plan of Compromise or Arrangement of Medican Holdings Ltd., Medican Developments Inc., R7 Investments Ltd., Medican Construction Ltd., Medican Concrete Inc., 1090772 Alberta Ltd., 1144233 Alberta Ltd., 1344241 Alberta Ltd., 9150- 3755 Quebec Inc., Axxess (Sylvan Lake) Developments Ltd., Canva (Calgary) Developmentxs Ltd., Elements (Grande Prairie) Developments Ltd., Medican (Edmonton Twrwillegar) Developments Ltd., Medican (Grande Prairie) Holdings Ltd., Medican (Kelowna Move) Developments Ltd., Medican (Lethbridge - Fairmnt Park) Developments Ltd., Medican (Red Deer - Michener Hill) Developments Ltd., Medican (Sylvan Lake) Developments Ltd., Medican (Westbank) Development Ltd., Medican (Westbank) Land Ltd., Medican Concrete Forming Ltd., Medican Les Entreprises Medican Inc., Medican Equipment Ltd., Medican Framing Ltd., Medican General Contractors Ltd., Medican General Contractors 2010 Ltd., Riverstone (Medicine Hat) Developments Ltd., Sanderson of Fish Creeek (*calgary) Developments Ltd., Sierras of Eaux Claires (Edmonton) Developments Ltd., Sonata Ridge (Kelowna) Developments Ltd.
Sylvan Lake Marina Developments Ltd., the Estates of Valleydale Developments Ltd., the Legend (Winnipeg) Developments Ltd., and Watercrest (Sylvan Lake) Developments Ltd. Petitioners _______________________________________________________ Reasons for Judgment of the Honourable Madam Justice K.M. Horner _______________________________________________________
Introduction [ 1 ] The applicant, MCAP Financial Corporation ("MCAP") is seeking a declaration that no monetary amount be allocated to it on account of certain charges arising under an Order made pursuant to the Companies Creditors' Arrangement Act , RSC 1985, c C-36 (“CCAA”). It argues that it should not have to bear any portion of the proposed allocated costs because it received no benefit from the CCAA proceedings, eventually was released from the proceedings and incurred separate fees to enforce its security. The Medican Group and the Monitor submit that MCAP should pay $397,500 in charges.
For the reasons given below MCAP's application is denied. Background [ 2 ] Medican Holdings Ltd. is the parent entity of the Medican Projects division of the Medican Group of companies [1] . The various Medican Project entities are all affiliated companies engaged in the business of residential real estate development.
Both Medican (Westbank) Development Inc. ("Medican Development") and Medican (Westbank) Land Ltd. ("Medican Land") are wholly owned subsidiaries of Medican Holdings. [ 3 ] MCAP is the senior secured lender of the initial phases of a multiunit condominium project in Westbank, British Columbia, known as the Kaleido Project. The Kaleido Project was developed on lands owned by Medican Land as bare trustee on behalf of Medican Development (together the "Kaleido Companies").
MCAP held a first mortgage over the Kaleido Project. [ 4 ] In 2010 the Medican Group sought protection under the CCAA in an attempt to restructure its affairs. The Kaleido Companies were among the petitioners. The initial order which included a stay of proceedings was granted on May 26, 2010 and provided, inter alia, that secured creditors of Medican were liable to pay certain court-ordered charges in relation to the proceedings, including the suppliers' charge, a directors' and officers' indemnification charge, an administration charge, and the debtor-in-possession ("DIP") lender's charge (the "Charges").
In order to pay for the Charges proceeds from the sale of condominium units of projects over which creditors held security were deposited into a separate account (the "Charge Levy"). [ 5 ] The Medican Group obtained a DIP loan from Paragon Capital Corporation Ltd. which ultimately totalled $3.5 million. It was secured as a first priority against all of the Medican Group's assets including those of the Kaleido Companies. As stated, the DIP lender's charge formed part of the Charges.
On several occasions project-specific financing was arranged (known as "Mini DIPs"); however, the DIP loan was approved on the basis that it would be used to support the general funding requirements of the Medican Group. [ 6 ] As a part of the restructuring, and with the approval of MCAP, the Medican Group engaged a listing agent (Coldwell Banker) to market the unsold condo units in the Kaleido Project of which only Phase I had been completed. During the time the units were listed with Coldwell Banker none were sold.
MCAP expressed dissatisfaction with the restructuring efforts. [ 7 ] On December 5, 2011 MCAP obtained an Order permitting it to apply to court in British Columbia to appoint a receiver (and ultimately a trustee in bankruptcy) over its collateral in the Kaleido Companies. This occurred following the approval of a related agreement between MCAP and the Medican Group whereby the Kaleido Companies' property and assets were released into the possession of the receiver upon consent of the Medican Group.
As a part of the court approved agreement the Medican Group consented to the receivership on the basis that, inter alia , the Charges were to remain in existence and that nothing in the agreement "shall determine the allocation to be made against the [Kaleido] Property in respect of the Charges and the parties hereto reserve all rights and remedies in connection with the allocation to be made".
The stay of proceedings was lifted for the limited purpose of allowing such receivership to proceed. [ 8 ] At the same time the Medican Group lodged a consolidated Plan of Compromise and Arrangement (the "Plan") dealing with all Medican Group entities subject to the CCAA proceedings excepting the Kaleido Companies and another Medican company. The CCAA proceedings provided that the DIP lender's charge was to be repaid by the Medican Group in part through the Charge Levy and in part through operating cash flow.
The Monitor submits that the Kaleido Companies' outstanding contribution to the Charge Levy should be $397,500. The Monitor further estimates that due to the Charge Levy surplus this amount will be reduced to approximately $279,300 following the allocation of a portion of the anticipated surplus back to the Kaleido Companies.
[ 9 ] On January 11, 2012, MCAP was granted an order nisi by the British Columbia Supreme Court declaring that the outstanding balance owing to MCAP was $18,216,064. Following the appointment of a receiver MCAP advanced $2.5 million more than $1.6 million of which was used to pay strata fee arrears, fix building deficiencies, pay security deposits, and pay fees associated with the National Home Warranty Program. MCAP submits this was done in order make the condo units in the Kaleido Project marketable by the receiver. The receiver is still in the process of completing the sale of units in the Kaleido Project.
MCAP submits that when the final sales figures are available it will have sustained a shortfall of approximately $10.6 million. I note that MCAP did file a proof of claim to participate in the Plan as an unsecured creditor. [ 10 ] MCAP's position through the proceedings has been that even though the Kaleido Project was subject to the CCAA proceedings this did not amount to an agreement on behalf of MCAP that it would bear any obligation for the Charge Levy. The parties disagree as to whether MCAP is obliged to contribute to the Charge Levy.
Issue [ 11 ] This court must determine whether the proposed portion of the CCAA Charge Levy allocated against the Kaleido Project should be reduced or illuminated. Argument [ 12 ] The parties' positions on the application can be summarized as follows: a. MCAP [ 13 ] Essentially, Counsel for MCAP submits that it would be inequitable to allocate the Charge Levy against it as though it were an affected secured creditor under the Plan.
In particular, it submits that the following factors should be taken into account in determining its allocation: first, it submits that the entities under the Medican Group are distinct with each entity undertaking the development of stand-alone real estate projects such as the Kaleido Project. MCAP stresses that this is not a situation in which a group of debtors carries on a common consolidated purpose.
In addition, counsel for MCAP drew attention to the fact that there was no cross-collateralization in that MCAP did not hold security over any other assets of the Medican Group for the obligations arising under the Kaleido Project. [ 14 ] Second, MCAP submits that it received no benefit in connection with the CCAA proceedings. It states that none of the DIP financing was spent on the Kaleido Project. In particular post-filing obligations were not paid during the stay and the Kaleido Project deteriorated during the course of the CCAA proceedings.
For example, nothing was paid to the strata corporation, the municipal taxing authority, or to utility providers in relation to the Kaleido Project. MCAP argues that this negatively affected its security over the Project. It submits that the situation became severe enough that the strata corporation (which was stayed from enforcing its rights) approached MCAP directly for funding which it refused to provide absent the ability to appoint a receiver.
During this period the National Home Warranty Program ultimately cancelled its coverage, notwithstanding the stay. [ 15 ] In addition, MCAP argues that its ability to realize on any condo unit sales was negatively impacted by the CCAA Proceedings. The initial order was granted on May 26, 2010. MCAP states that it waited approximately 18 months for the Medican Group to come up with a plan in relation to the Kaleido Project or propose some other alternative acceptable to MCAP; all the while MCAP was stayed from enforcing its remedies.
During this period, the Medican Group retained Coldwell Banker to market unsold condo units in the Medican Group properties. The Monitor implemented a course of action known as the "MCAP Protocol" to market the unsold units in the Kaleido Properties with a range of proposed square footage listing prices for the units ranging from $260 to $280 depending on the unit. MCAP submits that given the deteriorating state of the Kaleido Project and deficiencies in the units the price per square foot was too high and in any event no units were sold during the CCAA Proceedings.
Subsequent to the appointment of the Receiver 46 of the 47 saleable units have been sold at an average square foot price of $186.
[ 16 ] Third, MCAP argues that the case at bar can be distinguished from the authorities before this court in that the existing case law involved failed CCAA proceedings with the eventual appointment of a receiver. MCAP submits that in the present case the Medican Group's Plan sanctioned by the Court excludes the Kaleido Companies. As such, the affected creditors - other than MCAP - benefit from the Plan's pool of funds with the Monitor estimating an average payout of 10 cents on the dollar.
MCAP takes the position that it should not have to pay any portion of the aggregate charges for a plan from which it was excluded. It submits that it did not want the Kaleido Project included in the CCAA proceedings from the outset and in getting the stay lifted there was an express reservation of rights. b. The Monitor [ 17 ] The Monitor takes the position that a portion that MCAP's obligation to contribute to the Charge Levy flows from the fact that the developers of the Kaleido Project were petitioners in the CCAA proceedings whether MCAP was in favour of their inclusion or not.
Monitoring the Kaleido Project was a part of the Monitor’s mandate in the proceedings and therefore MCAP should bear the associated costs. It argues that although the Kaleido Project was ultimately not included in the Plan this does not detract from the fact that the Project formed part of the monitor's responsibilities throughout the CCAA proceedings prior to the lifting of the stay and the adoption of the Plan. [ 18 ] The Monitor acknowledges that during the CCAA proceedings no units in the Kaleido Project were sold.
In its brief, the Monitor suggests that its marketing efforts in relation to the Kaleido Project condo units were "hand-cuffed" by the MCAP Protocol. I note that in the Monitor's "Kaleido Report" dated February 15, 2013 the Monitor states that it proposed the MCAP Protocol and it was accepted by MCAP. This is consistent with correspondence outlining the Protocol.
The Monitor argues that in any event MCAP did receive a benefit from the CCAA proceedings in that the stay prevented priority claims being enforced by either the strata corporation for unpaid fees or the municipality for unpaid taxes. [ 19 ] The formula used by the Monitor to allocate contributions to the Charge Levy was to assess the sum of $8,500 from the sale of condominium units in Medican Group projects for the purposes of addressing the Charge Levy.
During oral argument the Monitor submitted that although the global contribution figure was $8,500 per unit MCAP was only assessed $7,500 per unit as a result of negotiations surrounding the lifting of the stay and the appointment of the receiver. Although counsel for MCAP agrees that the assessment is $7,500 it denies that it agreed to any sort of a concession in connection for lifting the stay but reserved its right to challenge its contribution. [ 20 ] The Monitor takes the position that equity demands a contribution from MCAP.
In its 15th Report it states, at paras 68-69: Clearly, without the Kaleido Project contribution to the CCAA Charge Levy, the CCAA Charge Levy Surplus is significantly lower, negatively impacting those Medican Group entities (and ultimately the secured creditors remaining in those entities, if there are any or no subsequent settlements reached with such secured creditors) that are to receive a refund. Unless the Kaleido Project makes a proportionate contribution to the CCAA Charge Levy, certain of the Company's secured creditors will have disproportionately funded the CCAA Charge Levy.
This would appear inherently unfair given that all assets of the Medican Group were encumbered by the Priority Charges. c. The Medican Group [ 21 ] Counsel for the Medican Group adopts a position similar to that of the Monitor. Medican submits that the DIP loan approved under the Initial Order was sought and obtained on the basis that it would be used to support general funding requirements for the whole of the Medican Group and was not contemplated to fund any particular project.
Rather, project-specific financing was arranged through the establishment of "Mini Dips", which have not been included in the proposed allocation. [ 22 ] The Medican Group also raised an argument similar to that of the Monitor concerning equity; namely, that if MCAP does not contribute to the Charge Levy this will increase the cost of repayment for all of the other Medican entities. It submits that increasing the contribution of the remaining creditors to the exclusion of MCAP would be unfair.
[23] In discussing the proper approach to MCAP's contribution the Medican Group asserts that the Kaleido Project was notignored during the CCAA proceedings. It submits that an extensive memorandum including a detailed market analysis and listingproposal for completed condo units in the Kaleido Project (being the MCAP Protocol) was prepared and delivered to MCAP. TheMedican Group also argues that the listing terms of the MCAP Protocol were agreed to by MCAP as opposed to it being unilaterallyimposed upon MCAP.
In addition, the Medican Group asserts that the saleability issues concerning the Kaleido Project, including unpaid strata fees, utilitiesand property taxes, as well as deficiencies in the units themselves, constituted pre-filing claims as opposed to being issues which arosesolely during the stay. The Law [24] There is a limited body of case law providing guidance on the principles of cost allocation.
In arguing their positions beforeme, counsel referred to the following authorities: Re Respect Oilfield Services, 2010 ABQB 277, 28 Alta LR (5th) 239; Re HuntersTrailer & Marine Ltd, 2001 ABQB 1094, 305 AR 175; Re Winnipeg Motor Express Inc, 2009 MBQB 204, 243 Man R (2d) 31, aff'd2009 MBCA 110, 245 Man R (2d) 274; Re Hickman Equipment
(1985) Ltd, 2004 NLSCTD 164, 5 CBR (5th) 56; Re Western ExpressAir Lines Inc, 2005 BCSC 53, 10 CBR (5th) 154; Re Hujan International Inc (2006), (ON SC), 21 CBR (5th) 276(ONSCJ); and, Bank of Nova Scotia v Norpak Manufacturing Inc (2003), (ON CA), 180 OAC 40 (ONCA). [25] The parties all agree that the case law instructs that any allocation under the Charge Levy must be fair and equitable and thateach case is to be decided on the facts. However, they disagree as to what amounts to an equitable allocation on the facts at bar.
Inparticular, MCAP argues that the unique facts of this case dictate an approach that, while equitable, would not result in an equalallocation. In so doing it relies on this Court's statement in Hunters Trailer & Marine, at para 15 that: Equity informs the decisions made by courts in the exercise of their jurisdiction under the CCAA.
While each case must be judged on itsown facts, in my view it is equitable in the present case that all of the major secured creditors be liable for a portion of the CCAA costs.That is not to say that equity calls for an equal allocation of costs. [26] In Hunters the Court examined whether super-priority DIP financing and administrative costs in relation to CCAAproceedings should be allocated equally between a number of major secured creditors.
One of the creditors, UMC FinancialManagement, held a first and second mortgage on the debtor's real property as well as an assignment of certain life insurance proceeds.UMC argued that it would be inequitable to bear the costs on the basis proposed by the other creditors as it would be liable for adisproportionate share of the costs. UMC took the position that it was a 'passive' creditor that gave loans on the value of land as opposedto the value of the business as a going concern.
It argued that as the risk of loss was greater for operating lenders these creditors shouldbear a larger portion of the CCAA costs. [27] In directing that UMC bear a proportion of the DIP costs, the Court held that it would be unfair to ignore differences in thetype of security held by creditors and the degree of potential benefit that they might obtain from CCAA proceedings. In allocating 15percent of the Monitors fees and 5 percent of the DIP costs to UMC the Court noted that a strict accounting on a cost-benefit basis wouldbe impractical.
Of particular note to the case at bar the Court opined at para 23 that: Not only UMC but all of the secured creditors can point to costs that cannot be attributed to the assets over which they hold security,However, DIP financing was granted to meet the debtor company's urgent needs during the sorting-out period. That was of the benefit, atleast the potential benefit, of all creditors. [28] Respec Oilfield Services dealt with a number of applications to apportion CCAA costs incurred with respect to a failed attemptto reorganize.
In Respec, the debtor was placed into receivership and a number of pieces of heavy equipment were sold via auction.Pursuant to a court order those creditors who wished to remove equipment subject to their security from the auction were entitled to doso upon paying the monitor a deposit on the proportion of allocated costs it would ultimately have to pay. Certain parties (including GEand JPL) paid this deposit and removed their equipment.
Two separate banks, Canadian Western and the Business Development Bank,held a first and second priority claim, respectively, over the debtor's assets excepting a considerable number of pieces of equipmentwhich were subject to a priority Purchase Money Security Interest (“PMSI”).
[ 29 ] The monitor recommended that all costs associated with the auction and all DIP related costs be allocated on a pro rata basis amongst all secured creditors based upon actual or estimated recovery. This would result in the two banks contributing to the indirect costs on the auction notwithstanding that they were unlikely to receive any of the auction proceeds given that their security status ranked behind the PMSI holders.
The court confirmed at para 22 that it was under no obligation to allocate costs on the basis of a cost-benefit analysis as to which creditor benefitted to what degree as a result of the CCAA proceedings. [ 30 ] GE opted to remove the equipment over which it held security from the auction but failed to sell it. It produced evidence that the unsold equipment was worth less than the guaranteed auction price.
The court held that the pro rata share of the allocated costs would not be reduced based upon the reduced value of the equipment as this would reward GE for making what ended up being a poor business decision by placing the differential upon the other creditors. [ 31 ] JPL also opted to remove its equipment from the auction. However, the Court held that in this instance JPL should not be allocated any costs, as it was a "true" lessor of equipment and therefore received no benefit from the CCAA proceedings.
A similar result was reached in Western Express Air Lines where the court held that the lessors of certain aircraft were not obliged to pay any portion of the charges under the CCAA proceedings as the lessors were not creditors and did not receive any benefit from a successful restructuring. [ 32 ] In Hunjan International the Court confirmed that the allocation of costs is to be analyzed on a case-by-case basis, that a strict accounting to allocate costs is neither necessary nor desirable in all cases and that a creditor need not directly benefit from a proceeding before costs can be allocated against it. [ 33 ] In Hickman Equipment the company initially sought protection by obtaining a CCAA order.
The debtor went bankrupt and the court subsequently issued a receivership order covering all property of the debtor in the same manner and to the same extent as the CCAA order. The receiver developed a cost allocation plan which included a holdback of 15 percent of the proceeds of sale of assets as a contribution to the plan on the understanding that the final allocation of costs would occur upon the completion of the realization process. GMAC Leasco, a first secured creditor, brought an interlocutory application to seek payment of proceeds arising from security taken in assets which the receiver had sold.
Specifically it argued that no costs/holdback should be allocated in respect to 18 vehicles which were sold solely through the effort and expense of its agent and not through any effort or expense of the receiver. [ 34 ] The receiver argued that generally speaking it did not make a distinction between the assets that the debtor had in its possession and that the costs incurred in the management of the receivership were generally incurred in relation to all property. It argued that the plan applied to numerous matters, in addition to the simple cost of realizing assets.
It was unable to determine which costs and fees were directly attributable to the units eventually sold by GMAC. In finding that GMAC was entitled to a reduction in the holdback cost allocation due to the fact that the receiver did not have to expend its efforts on the sale of the equipment the court formulated the following principles, at para 17:
(1) The allocation of costs ought to be fair and evenhanded amongst all creditors upon an objective basis of allocation;
(2) The fairest basis of allocation would be a uniform percentage of the sale price received for the asset over which the paying creditor had a realizable security interest;
(3) There must be a recognition that the Cost Allocation Plan acknowledges that costs are not limited to the cost of realization alone but relates to all receivership costs whether direct sales cost or indirect cost;
(4) Exceptions to a uniform application of cost to creditors ought not to be lightly granted. Nonetheless it must be recognized that certain activities of the Receiver in managing the affairs of the receivership may have been less intensive or less advantageous with respect to certain groups of assets as opposed to other groups of assets and that the extent of this intensity or disadvantage may not be immediately or easily determinable.
To require the Receiver to calculate and determine an absolutely fair value for its services for one group of assets vis-a-vis another would likely not be cost effective, would drive up the overall receivership cost and would likely be a fool's errand in any event;
(5) Exceptions to the rule of uniform cost allocation should only be made where the requirement for such variation is reasonably articulable.
[ 35 ] Winnipeg Motor Express also dealt with a dispute over the appropriate allocation of DIP financing and administrative costs incurred since the granting of a stay. The monitor recommended that the costs be allocated among secured creditors based on pro rata recovery. Paccar, which had entered into a financing lease with the debtor under which it leased certain equipment opposed the monitor's proposed allocation on the grounds that it was inequitable. It argued that it received no benefit from the restructuring and that its equipment actually deteriorated during the stay.
In discussing the applicable legal principles, the court held, at para 41: I turn, then, to the question of principles of allocation of Court Ordered Charges under the CCAA. This is a matter of discretion for the court. Each case must be judged on its facts, but fundamentally any allocation must be fair and equitable. This does not mean equal, however, as observed by the court in Hunters Trailer & Marine Ltd., Re, 2001 ABQB 1094 , (2001), 305 A.R. 175.
While it is unfair to ignore the degree of potential benefit that each creditor might derive, it is also accepted that any means of calculating a precise percentage will be arbitrary. The nature of proceedings under the CCAA make a strict accounting on a cost benefit basis impractical and ultimately defeating.
It is also accepted that the concept of potential benefit versus direct benefit be utilized, otherwise the process would dissolve into a cost benefit analysis. [ 36 ] In noting that the purpose of a stay under the CCAA is to provide a struggling company with the opportunity to restructure in the hopes of achieving viability, the court stated that based upon the monitor's expertise and familiarity with the events surrounding the restructuring period, the onus is on an objecting creditor to demonstrate inequity in instances where the proposal is prima facie fair.
A number of creditors argued that they would have been better off had they realized on their security and not participated in the CCAA proceedings. In addressing this argument the court found "that may or may not have been so, but of course the point of the CCAA is that the collective good and the benefit to all stakeholders governs": para 45. [ 37 ] After reviewing the factors espoused in Hickman , the court made the following observations in adopting the monitor's recommendations for a uniform costs application: 49 So, then, is there a basis to deviate from the proposal?
As noted earlier, while exceptions to a uniform application of costs should not be lightly granted, and the basis for any exception must be reasonably articulable, the court can take into account the different nature of the security held by various creditors, and the potential benefit to them when deciding if the allocation is fair and equitable.
This was the focus of much of the argument raised by the secured creditors here. 50 As I said, for the most part, each minimized the benefit or potential benefit to them of the restructuring process, and pointed to how certain expenditures or actions taken were detrimental to their interests. […] 52 Who benefitted more? If a meaningful answer could be given to that question, it would require a careful accounting and cost benefit analysis of each party's circumstance. This is exactly what courts repeatedly have said should not be done.
It is economically self-defeating and the cost and the time involved in finding such an answer would only serve to benefit the professionals hired to assist in the process. It is antithetical to objectives of the CCAA. [ 38 ] On appeal, Paccar reiterated its position that it never stood to gain from the CCAA proceedings and that it suffered under the stay. It further argued that the lower court erred in treating all secured lenders equally despite differences in their security and the benefit received.
In denying application for leave to appeal the court of appeal noted that the trial judge had been alive to the fact that she could take into account the different nature of the securities held by, as well as the potential benefit to, creditors in determining whether a proposed allocation was equitable. She noted that that Paccar, as well as other contesting creditors, did in fact receive a benefit under the proceedings. In particular, the cost, effort, delay and risk involved in recovering their equipment had been reduced pursuant to the restructuring efforts.
Analysis [ 39 ] The law is clear that where a monitor's proposed allocation is prima facie fair the onus falls on the objecting creditor to demonstrate an inequity in the circumstances: Hunjan , paras 58 and 73; Winnipeg Motor Express (QB), para 48.
[ 40 ] MCAP argues that the facts in this case do not demonstrate an allocation which, on the face of it, is fair and reasonable. It states that an inherent unfairness exists in that MCAP has been allocated costs on the same basis as those creditors who were included in and benefited under the Plan. In addition, it argues that the Monitor should not be able to rely on arguments in equity when its proposed allocations do not treat all creditors equally.
In support of this position, MCAP submits that although the Monitor is purporting to treat senior secured lenders equally those secured lenders who did not suffer a shortfall in the realization of their security are not included in the allocation of the Charge Levy. In addition, MCAP submits that the actual calculation of the $397,500 it is being called upon to contribute does not relate to the same "per unit charge" basis that the Monitor used in calculating the amount owing by other creditors.
MCAP's per unit allocation equated to $7,500 per unit while the Monitor indicated that the global per unit allocation would be $8,500 per unit. While MCAP agrees this discrepancy is favourable to it it suggests that it is nonetheless inequitable. [ 41 ] Given the above MCAP thus submits that the burden remains with the Monitor to demonstrate the fairness of the proposed allocation. [ 42 ] The Monitor takes the position that its proposal is both reasonable and fair.
As an officer of the court, the Monitor’s allocation is a discretionary decision and is therefore entitled to deference: Winnipeg Motor Express (QB), para 48. While the Monitor acknowledges that there may have been a number of different approaches in this instance it asserts that its choice of method was reasonable and reflects the potential benefit to creditors under the CCAA proceedings. [ 43 ] I find that notwithstanding the distinction in the per unit charge allocated by the Monitor the Monitor's proposed Charge Levy treats MCAP like the other senior secured lenders.
While the proposal may not be equal (given the $1,000 per unit charge distinction), it is prima facie equitable. Therefore the onus lies with MCAP to demonstrate that the allocation is unfair. [ 44 ] I do not find that MCAP has satisfied this onus. With respect, its arguments are based upon a cost-benefit analysis utilizing any actual benefits received under the CCAA proceedings. The courts have consistently rejected this approach in favour of one based upon a potential benefit analysis.
Exceptions to a monitor's proposed allocations are not to be lightly granted and should only be made where the necessity for departure is reasonable articulable: Hickman , para 17. [ 45 ] This court cannot accept MCAP's position that its suggested contribution of nothing is grounded in equity. In essence, MCAP participated in the CCAA process for 18 months in cooperation with the monitor in the hopes that the process might yield some benefit. It accepted the Medican Protocol and the sales process established under Coldwell Banker.
At any point it could have applied, on appropriate notice and evidence, to have its own receiver put into place but it did not. If it had a serious concern about the sales process or pricing, it could have brought a court application to amend the Protocol; again it did not. It cannot say that it participated, but with no result, so it does not now wish to contribute. The allocation of the Charge Levy is not to be determined with the benefit of hindsight. [ 46 ] There are other factors which bear on whether MCAP's proposed allocation is equitable or not.
MCAP would have been aware of the outstanding strata fees and the possible termination of utility services. In a letter from the Strata Corporation's legal counsel to MCAP dated July 26, 2010 the 'dire financial straits' of the Strata Corporation is outlined, along with a forecast that "…the resulting disarray will not enhance the value of the individual strata lots." MCAP acknowledged that it was aware that pre-funding strata fees were not being paid. It acknowledged that it had no reason to believe that the DIP funds were being used to correct these arrears. Yet it waited out the 18 month stay period.
That MCAP believed it stood to possibly benefit from the CCAA proceedings and the MCAP Protocol is implicit in its choice to remain under and cooperate within the process. MCAP was aware throughout the process that the ultimate allocation was reserved for future determination. [ 47 ] It is agreed that the CCAA proceedings did not yield any direct benefits to MCAP. No DIP funding was directly allocated to the Kaleido Project and no Mini DIP was established in relation to Kaleido. However, the Charges relate to general expenses associated with the entirety of the CCAA proceeding.
The MCAP Protocol was established and condo units were marketed. There was an unsuccessful attempt to sell the Kaleido Project en bloc . The National Home Warranty Program (for the majority of the stay period) did not cancel its coverage. The Strata Corporation was prevented from claiming unpaid fees and the municipality for unpaid taxes. The Kaleido Project fell within the scope of the CCAA proceedings and formed a part of the Monitor's responsibilities. Effort was expended in dealing with the Kaleido sales process. DIP funding allowed Medican to meet urgent financial needs during the stay.
As such, while no direct benefit was obtained, MCAP acquired the above-mentioned indirect benefits (maintenance of the status quo) as well as "potential" benefits in the form of possible unit sales under the MCAP Protocol. Indeed, the degree of potential benefit to MCAP under the sales Protocol was far from negligible. The Monitor is not obliged to perform an analysis as to which creditors benefited and to what degree. Here, costs incurred as a part of the Charges were borne in the management of the CCAA proceedings and generally incurred in
relation to all Medican property including that of the Kaleido Companies. [ 48 ] Moreover, it is not entirely accurate to argue that MCAP received zero benefits under the proceedings. In addition to its position as a secured creditor of the Kaleido Project, MCAP also stood as a potential unsecured creditor to Medican.
In this latter position, MCAP did in fact participate in the Plan and, although there was little evidence before the court in this regard, seemingly benefitted by filing its proof of claim. [ 49 ] I note also that the stay period allowed MCAP to attempt to "wait out" what was clearly a downturn in the residential real estate market although the condominium units were eventually marketed at a reduced price per square foot. Again, MCAP cannot now advance an argument grounded in hindsight.
Nor, as per Respec Oilfield Services , should it be rewarded for what may have ultimately amounted to a poor business decision. [ 50 ] MCAP argues that its position is analogous to situations in which the courts have refused to allocate priority charges against true lessors. It relies on Respec Oilfield Services and Western Express Airlines in this regard. I do not find MCAP's position in the current case to be analogous to that of a true lessor.
While the courts in Respec and Western Express clearly held that a true lessor was exempt from contribution towards a cost levy, such cases can be clearly distinguished on the basis that, as property owners, a true lessor does not stand to gain a potential benefit from CCAA proceedings. As an owner of the collateral, a lessor is entitled to a return of the collateral regardless of the outcome of the restructuring attempt. There is no reason on the facts before me to liken MCAP's situation to that of a lessor. [ 51 ] MCAP held the same type of security as other secured creditors.
It suffered the same fate as other secured creditors who experienced a shortfall. While it did not receive direct benefits as a result of the Charges the potential for direct benefit clearly existed. It would be inequitable to redistribute MCAP's proposed contribution upon the remainder of the secured creditors given that all assets of the Medican Group were encumbered by the Charges. There is simply no basis upon which to deviate from the Monitor's proposed Charge Levy allocation. For these reasons the Application is denied. Heard on the 21st day of February, 2013.
Dated at the City of Calgary, Alberta this 23rd day of April, 2013. K.M. Horner J.C.Q.B.A. Appearances: David W. Mann/Scott D. Kurie of Denton’s for Medican Holdings Ltd. et al Sean Collins of McCarthy Tetrault for MCAP
A. Aaron Stephenson of Norton Rose for the Monitor [1] There are 39 applicant entities comprising the Medican Group, 36 of which filed the consolidated plan of arrangement under the CCAA (excepting the Kaleido companies and Sanderson)