2023 NBCA 9, 2023 NBCA 9
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 82-20-CA
B E T W E E N: POTASH CORPORATION OF SASKATCHEWAN INC. APPELLANT - and - HB CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LTD. RESPONDENT B E T W E E N: HB CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LTD. (formerly COMSTOCK CANADA LTD.) APPELLANT - and - POTASH CORPORATION OF SASKATCHEWAN INC. and WOOD CANADA LIMITED (formerly AMEC AMERICAS LIMITED) RESPONDENTS B E T W E E N: POTASH CORPORATION OF SASKATCHEWAN INC. APPELLANT - and - HB CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LTD. (formerly COMSTOCK CANADA LTD.) RESPONDENT E N T R E : POTASH CORPORATION OF SASKATCHEWAN INC. APPELANTE - et - HB CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LTD.
INTIMÉE 83-20-CA E N T R E : HB CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LTD. (auparavant COMSTOCK CANADA LTD.) APPELANTE - et - POTASH CORPORATION OF SASKATCHEWAN INC. et WOOD CANADA LIMITED (auparavant AMEC AMÉRIQUES LIMITÉ
E) INTIMÉES 27-22-CA E N T R E : POTASH CORPORATION OF SASKATCHEWAN INC. APPELANTE - et - HB CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LTD. (auparavant COMSTOCK CANADA LTD.) INTIMÉE
Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. v. HBConstruction Company Ltd., 2023 NBCA 9 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LaVigne The Honourable Justice LeBlond Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. c.
HBConstruction Company Ltd., 2023 NBCA 9 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LaVigne l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: March 7, 2022 Continuation of appeal from decisions rendered onAugust 11, 2022 (2022 NBCA 82 and 2022 NBCA 83) Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de laReine : le 7 mars 2022 Continuation de l’appel des décisions rendues le11 août 2022 (2022 NBCA 82 et 2022 NBCA 83) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decisions under appeal: 2020 NBQB 180 and 2022 NBQB 59 Décisions frappées d’appel : 2020 NBQB 180 , 2020 NBBR 180 et2022 NBBR 59 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: 2020 NBQB 180 , [2020] N.B.J.
No. 255 [2020] N.B.J. No. 319 [2020] N.B.J. No. 332 [2021] N.B.J. No. 67 [2021] N.B.J. No. 92 [2021] N.B.J. No. 217 [2021] N.B.J. No. 238 [2021] N.B.J. No. 356 [2021] N.B.J. No. 358 Unreported decision filed September 30, 2021 2022 NBCA 40 , [2022] N.B.J. No. 185 2022 NBCA 39 , [2022] N.B.J.
No. 188 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : 2020 NBQB 180 , [2020] A.N.-B. no 255 [2020] A.N.-B. no 319 [2020] A.N.-B. no 332 [2021] A.N.-B. no 67 [2021] A.N.-B. no 92 [2021] A.N.-B. no 217 [2021] A.N.-B. no 238 [2021] A.N.-B. no 356 [2021] A.N.-B. no 358 Décision inédite déposée le 30 septembre 2021 2022 NBCA 40 , [2022] A.N.-B. no 185 2022 NBCA 39 , [2022] A.N.-B. no 188 Appeal heard: November 29, 2022 Appel entendu : le 29 novembre 2022 Judgment rendered: February 9, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 9 février 2023
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For HB Construction Company Ltd.: Robert M. Creamer, K.C., Mark Dunn and Christopher D.J. Isnor For Potash Corporation: Peter T. Zed, K.C., and John P. F. Morrissy For Wood Canada Limited: Frederick C. McElman, C.M., K.C., and Lara J. Greenough Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LaVigne Avocats à l’audience : Pour HB Construction Company Ltd. : Robert M.
Creamer, c.r., Mark Dunn et Christopher D.J. Isnor Pour Potash Corporation : Peter T. Zed, c.r., et John P. F. Morrissy Pour Wood Canada Limited : Frederick C. McElman, C.M., c.r., et Lara J. Greenough THE COURT Following the hearing of argument in both appeals, the parties advised the Court that all outstanding issues had been settled, and one of the appeals was discontinued. The Court therefore makes no further disposition.
LA COUR Après l’audition des observations dans les deux appels, les parties ont indiqué à la Cour que toutes les questions qu’il restait à trancher avaient été réglées et il y a eu désistement de l’un des appels. La Cour ne rend donc aucune autre décision. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I. Introduction and Overview [ 1 ] On October 2, 2020, the trial judge issued a single decision in HB Construction v. Potash Corporation et al . , 2020 NBQB 180 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 255 (QL) .
Before the trial, HB acquired assets of Comstock Canada Ltd., including Comstock’s rights and interest in the subject construction contract and related litigation. [ 2 ] The decision dealt with two separate actions. Comstock commenced the first action on November 9, 2010, under the Mechanics’ Lien Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. M-6 , as it then was, claiming relief under the Act against Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. (PCS). The trial judge did not deal with all the relief claimed by Comstock under the Act but did grant judgment in its favour in the amount of the lien holdback.
The award of costs was the only outstanding issue in this action.
[3] Comstock commenced the second action on August 3, 2010, naming PCS and Wood Canada Limited(formerly AMEC Americas Limited (AMEC)), as defendants. PCS filed a counterclaim against Comstock. The action and counterclaimdealt with substantive claims related to the contract and the contractual relationship. PCS was ordered to pay an amount of damages toComstock, but the claim against AMEC was dismissed.
The PCS counterclaim was also dismissed. [4] In her decision, the trial judge set aside the issues of pre- and post-judgment interest as well as costs in bothactions and retained jurisdiction to deal with them later should the parties fail to settle them. [5] Comstock and PCS both appealed the trial dispositions. On August 11, 2022, this Court released twodecisions dealing separately with issues on appeal in each of the actions. The first decision addressed and dismissed both appeals on thesubstantive issues: Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. v. HB Construction Company Ltd., 2022 NBCA 39, [2022] N.B.J.
No. 188(QL). The second allowed in part the appeal on the lien action: HB Construction Company Ltd. v. Potash Corporation of SaskatchewanInc., 2022 NBCA 40, [2022] N.B.J. No. 185 (QL). In both decisions, as is noted below, the Court deferred its determination of costs onappeal. [6] Between the hearing of the appeals and the release of the Court’s decisions, the trial judge held a furtherhearing on the issue of costs and interest. Her decision was released on March 7, 2022: HB Construction Co. v. Potash Corp. ofSaskatchewan Inc., 2022 NBQB 59, [2022] N.B.J. No. 114 (QL).
PCS appealed the portion of that decision that relates to the interestaward, but no appeal was taken of the costs award. As a result, this Court advised the parties it would hear them on the issue of costs onappeal at the hearing of the appeal of the interest award. The Court requested these further submissions to fully canvass the principlesrelating to costs on appeal given the magnitude of the amounts involved. [7] On November 29, 2022, the Court heard the PCS appeal along with arguments on the issue of costs onappeal.
While a decision was in reserve, the parties advised the Court they had settled the costs issue in both the lien action and thecontract disputes action. PCS has since filed a discontinuance of its appeal of the interest decision. II. Conclusion and Disposition [8] The costs issue has become moot and the appeal pertaining to the interest award having been discontinued, inaccordance with the Rules of Court, no further disposition is required. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND I.
Introduction et aperçu [1] Le 2 octobre 2020, la juge de première instance a rendu une seule décision dans HB Construction Co. c. Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc., 2020 NBQB 180 , 2020 NBBR 180, [2020] A.N.-B. no 255 (QL) [intitulé QL]. Avant leprocès, HB a acquis les actifs de Comstock Canada Ltd., y compris les droits et intérêts de Comstock dans le contrat de construction encause et les litiges connexes. [2] La décision portait sur deux actions distinctes. Comstock a intenté la première action le 9 novembre 2010,sous le régime de la
Loi sur le privilège des constructeurs et des fournisseurs de matériaux, L.R.N.-B 1973, ch. M-6 (en vigueur àl’époque), et sollicitait, sous le régime de la Loi, des mesures réparatoires contre Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. (PCS). La jugede première instance n’a pas traité de toutes les mesures réparatoires sollicitées par Comstock sous le régime de la Loi, mais elle a renduun jugement en sa faveur pour le montant de la retenue. L’adjudication des dépens était la seule question qu’il restait à trancher danscette action.
[3] Le 3 août 2010, Comstock a intenté la deuxième action dans laquelle elle nommait PCS et Wood Canada Limitée (auparavant AMEC Amériques Limitée (AMEC)) comme défenderesses. PCS a déposé une demande reconventionnelle contre Comstock. L’action et la demande reconventionnelle portaient sur des demandes sur le fond liées au contrat et au rapport contractuel. PCS a été condamné à payer des dommages-intérêts à Comstock, mais la demande formée contre AMEC a été rejetée.
La demande reconventionnelle de PCS a également été rejetée. [4] Dans sa décision, la juge de première instance a écarté les questions qui portaient sur les intérêts antérieurs et postérieurs au jugement et les dépens dans les deux actions et elle est demeurée saisie de l’affaire pour pouvoir régler ces questions ultérieurement si les parties ne parvenaient pas à le faire. [5] Comstock et PCS ont toutes les deux interjeté appel des décisions rendues en première instance. Le 11 août 2022, notre Cour a rendu deux décisions qui traitent séparément des questions en appel dans chacune des actions.
La première décision a traité et rejeté les deux appels sur les questions de fond : Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. c. HB Construction Company Ltd. , 2022 NBCA 39 , [2022] A.N.-B. n o 188 (QL) . La deuxième a accueilli en
partie l’appel concernant l’action fondée sur le privilège : HB Construction Company Ltd. c. Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc. , 2022 NBCA 40 , [2022] A.N.-B. n o 185 (QL) . Dans les deux décisions, comme il est indiqué ci-dessous, la Cour a reporté sa décision sur les dépens en appel. [6] Entre l’audition des appels et la publication des décisions de la Cour, la juge de première instance a tenu une autre audience sur la question des dépens et des intérêts. Sa décision a été rendue le 7 mars 2022 : HB Construction Co. c. Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. , 2022 NBBR 59 , [2022] A.N.-B. n o 114 (QL) [intitulé QL] . PCS a interjeté appel de la
partie de cette décision qui porte sur l’adjudication d’intérêts, mais aucun appel n’a été interjeté de l’adjudication des dépens. Par conséquent, notre Cour a indiqué aux parties qu’elle les entendrait sur la question des dépens en appel au moment d’entendre l’appel de l’adjudication d’intérêts. Compte tenu de l’importance des montants en cause, la Cour a demandé ces observations supplémentaires afin de procéder à un examen complet des principes applicables aux dépens en appel. [7] Le 29 novembre 2022, la Cour a entendu l’appel de PCS ainsi que les arguments sur la question des dépens en appel.
Pendant que la décision était en délibéré, les parties ont indiqué à la Cour qu’elles avaient réglé la question des dépens dans l’action fondée sur le privilège et dans l’action fondée sur le litige contractuel. PCS a depuis déposé un désistement de son appel de la décision qui porte sur les intérêts. II. Conclusion et dispositif [8] La question des dépens est devenue théorique et, puisqu’il y a eu désistement de l’appel de l’adjudication d’intérêts, conformément aux Règles de procédure , aucune autre décision ne s’impose.