2022 NBCA 68, 2022 NBCA 68
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 75-22-CA AVIVA INSURANCE COMPANY OF CANADA APPELLANT Aviva, Compagnie d'assurance du Canada APPELANTE - and - - et - JOYCE MACDONALD RESPONDENT JOYCE MACDONALD INTIMÉE Aviva Insurance Company of Canada v. MacDonald, 2022 NBCA 68 Aviva, Compagnie d’Assurance du Canada c.
MacDonald, 2022 NBCA 68 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: July 13, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 13 juillet 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2022 NBQB 140 Décision frappée d’appel : 2022 NBBR 140 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2022] N.B.J.
No. 259 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2022] A.N.-B. n o 259 Appeal heard: October 19, 2022 Appel entendu : le 19 octobre 2022 Judgment rendered: December 1, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 1 er décembre 2022
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlanc Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Donald V. Keenan For the respondent: Virginia Gillmore Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Donald V. Keenan Pour l’intimée : Virginia Gillmore THE COURT The appeal of the motion judge’s decision granting Ms. MacDonald
summary judgment is allowed and the judgment is set aside. The parties agreed at the hearing that the record before the Court permits adjudication of Aviva’s motion for
summary judgment and
summary judgment is granted in its favour. In the circumstances of this case, Ms. MacDonald is not entitled to any further
Section B weekly indemnity benefits for loss of income beyond those already paid. Costs are awarded and payable to Aviva in the amount of $1,500. No costs were awarded in the court below and that disposition is left undisturbed. LA COUR L’appel de la décision du juge saisi de la motion accordant un jugement
sommaire à M me MacDonald est accueilli et le jugement est annulé. Les parties ont convenu à l’audience que le dossier dont dispose la Cour permet de statuer sur la motion en jugement
sommaire d’Aviva et un jugement
sommaire lui est accordé. Dans les circonstances de l’espèce, M me MacDonald n’a pas droit à des indemnités hebdomadaires pour perte de revenu prévues au
chapitre B autres que celles déjà versées. Des dépens de 1 500 $ sont adjugés et payables à Aviva. Aucuns dépens n’ont été adjugés par la cour d’instance inférieure et cette décision n’est pas modifiée. The judgment of the Court was delivered by
LEBLOND, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] This appeal focuses on the
interpretation of
Part II of the N.B.P.F. No. 1, the New Brunswick Automobile (Owner’
s) Policy, and in particular, the loss of income benefits payable therein. The policy provides for two types of benefits for loss of income:
(1) First, as long as an insured meets the qualifying requirements to be entitled to receive these benefits, the insurer is required to make weekly payments for the period during which the insured establishes substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his/her own occupation or employment up to an initial maximum of 104 payments.
(2) Second, if, after having received the first 104 such payments, and while still in receipt of them because of continuing inability to perform the essential duties of his/her own occupation or employment, an insured establishes the accident-related injuries prevent him/her from engaging in any occupation or employment for which he/she is reasonably suited by education, training or experience, the insurer is required to continue making the weekly payments for as long as the insured remains unable to perform the essential duties of his/her own occupation. [ 2 ] Clause 4 of
Part II provides that if a person in receipt of weekly benefits related to his/her own occupation or employment attempts to return to that occupation or employment and, within 30 days of doing so, is unable to continue working because of the accident-related injury, that person is entitled to continue receiving weekly benefits regardless of when the up-to 30-day resumption of work occurred. [ 3 ] The issue before the court below was whether the respondent, Joyce MacDonald, qualified for benefits beyond the 104 payments she received given that she returned to her pre-accident employment after receiving the last such payment and worked for 13 months.
The court below was also asked to determine whether her on-going complaints of pain during the period of work resumption, when read with the provisions of Clause 4, entitled her to receive further weekly indemnity benefits once she was declared unable to do any work at the conclusion of the 13 month period of work resumption. [ 4 ] Ms. MacDonald filed a motion for
summary judgment arguing she was entitled to continuing benefits and her insurer, the appellant Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, filed its own
summary judgment motion seeking a declaration Ms. MacDonald was not entitled to any further benefits. The motion judge granted Ms. MacDonald’s motion and, while he did not specifically dismiss Aviva’s, the denial of its motion was implied. [ 5 ] Aviva framed its Notice of Appeal in two ways: (1) by asking that the
summary judgment granted in favour of Ms. MacDonald be set aside, in which case no leave to appeal was required; and (2) by requesting that the dismissal of its own motion be reversed or a new hearing ordered. The latter is an appeal of an interlocutory decision for which leave is required. To the extent leave was required, it was granted. [ 6 ] For the reasons that follow, I would allow Aviva’s appeal and set aside the motion judge’s decision granting Ms. MacDonald’s
summary judgment. I would further allow the appeal of the dismissal of Aviva’s motion and grant
summary judgment in its favour. II. Factual context [ 7 ] On February 7, 2011, Ms. MacDonald was involved in a motor vehicle accident. She was born on August 22, 1965, and, at the time of the accident, was 45 years of age. Prior to the accident, she was employed as a nurse with the Veterans Unit of the Campbellton Regional Hospital. Although she had a part-time contract with the hospital, she worked full-time hours. It is acknowledged her work was physically demanding. [ 8 ] The injuries she sustained from the accident included a fractured sternum as well as injuries to
her left hip, lower back, left knee and neck. She also suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and later developed anxiety and depression. She was placed off work by her treating physicians as she was determined to be substantially unable to perform the essential duties of her employment. As a result, she qualified for and was paid loss of income weekly indemnity benefits by Aviva with respect to loss of income relating to her own employment. She received 104 such payments. [ 9 ] During the time she was in receipt of benefits, Ms. MacDonald received treatment and her condition gradually improved.
By May 2013, she was medically cleared to begin a gradual return to work program and her progress continued to be monitored. It is not disputed that she continued to have pain symptoms after she returned to work. Although she did not reach her pre-accident levels of work performance, the evidence shows her hours of work and earnings reached approximately 85% of pre-accident levels. In addition, much of what she was able to do was accomplished with the assistance of co-workers and on-going treatment.
At the end of a shift, she would on occasion limp and grimace because of the pain and avoided some tasks. [ 10 ] In June 2014, Ms. MacDonald underwent a functional capacity evaluation commissioned by her counsel. The occupational therapist who performed the assessment, Lloyd Richard, interviewed Ms. MacDonald and she provided him the information with respect to the work shifts she was doing. She reported being able to do two consecutive 12 hour shifts and with that proviso, she told Mr. Richard her work duties were “… livable, maintainable and doable.” After conducting a series of tests, Mr. Richard concluded Ms.
MacDonald met the physical demands of her job provided she did not work more than two consecutive 12-hour shifts at any given time. [ 11 ] However, because of continuing symptoms and physical restrictions, on September 18, 2014, Ms. MacDonald was placed off work indefinitely by her family physician. She had worked for thirteen months since returning to her pre- accident job.
There were attempts to identify possible alternate employment for her, which might have been suitable based on her education, training and experience; however, no such employment was available and the family physician deemed her totally unable to work at any occupation. At this time, Ms. MacDonald was 49 years of age. [ 12 ] In September 2014, Ms. MacDonald applied for a resumption of loss of income weekly indemnity benefits but they were denied by Aviva on the ground she did not qualify for them under the terms of
Part II of the policy. For convenience, the relevant sections of the policy are reproduced below in English and French.
Part II — Loss of Income Subject to the provisions of this Part, the insurer will pay a weekly payment for the loss of income from employment for the period during which the insured person suffers substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his or her occupation or employment, provided, (
a) such person was employed at the date of the accident; (
b) within thirty (30) days from the date of the accident, and as a result of the accident, the insured person suffers substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his or her occupation or employment for a period of not less than seven (7) days; (
c) no payments shall be made for any period in excess of one hundred and four (104) weeks except that if at the end of the one hundred and four (104) week period, it has been established that such injury continuously prevents such person from engaging in any occupation or employment for which he or she is reasonably suited by education, training or experience, the insurer agrees to make such weekly payments for the duration of such inability to perform the essential duties. […] For the purposes of this Part, (4) a person receiving a weekly payment who, within thirty (30) days of resuming his or her occupation or employment, is unable to continue such occupation or employment as a result of such injury, is not precluded from receiving further weekly payments[.]
Partie II -- Perte de revenu
Sous réserve des autres dispositions de la présente partie, en cas d'empêchement sérieux de la personne assurée d'accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi, il est payé, pendant la durée de l'invalidité, une indemnité hebdomadaire de perte de revenu, pourvu que :
a) la personne assurée soit employée à la date de l'accident;
b) l'empêchement sérieux de la personne assurée d'accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi se manifeste dans les trente jours qui suivent la date de l'accident et dure au moins sept jours;
c) l'indemnité soit payée pendant une période maximale de cent quatre semaines; cependant, s'il est démontré, à la fin de cette période, que les dommages corporels continuent d'empêcher la personne d'exercer une profession ou un emploi pour lequel elle est raisonnablement adaptée par ses études, sa formation ou son expérience, l'assureur s'engage à verser l'indemnité hebdomadaire tant que l'empêchement sérieux persiste. [...] Pour l'application de la présente
partie :
(4) La personne ayant repris le travail après avoir eu droit à une indemnité hebdomadaire ne perd pas de ce fait ses droits à la reprise du versement de l'indemnité si, dans les trente jours de son retour au travail, elle est, en raison de ses blessures, incapable de continuer à travailler. [ 13 ] I emphasize that Clause (
c) of
Part II provides that weekly payments relating to the ongoing inability of the insured to perform the substantial duties of his/her occupation or employment are to continue for any period which exceeds the period for which the initial 104 weekly payments are made only if : […] at the end of the one hundred and four (104) week period , it has been established that such injury continuously prevents such person from engaging in any occupation or employment for which he or she is reasonably suited by education, training or experience […]. [Emphasis added.]
The insurer agrees if no suitable alternate employment can be identified, payments are to continue “for the duration of such inability to perform the essential duties”. The reference to “essential duties” is a reference to the essential duties mentioned in the opening paragraph of
Part II, i.e., the essential duties of the insured’s own occupation. [ 14 ] If the above criteria had been met by Ms. MacDonald, and while she was still in receipt of weekly benefits, Aviva would have been required to continue making weekly indemnity payments for as long as she was unable to perform the essential duties of her occupation. But, as noted, that is not what happened. [ 15 ] Ms. MacDonald sued to recover benefits and later filed a motion for
summary judgment seeking entitlement to them. Aviva filed a parallel
summary judgment motion seeking a determination Ms. MacDonald did not meet the policy requirements to entitle her to those benefits. As noted, the motion judge granted Ms. MacDonald’s motion and, while he did not specifically dispose of Aviva’s motion, it was deemed to be dismissed. Aviva appealed. III. The motion judge’s decision [ 16 ] In ruling in Ms. MacDonald’s favour, the motion judge’s analysis begins with an assertion that her inability to continue working after the 13 month resumption period following her receipt of the initial series of benefits was an “important consideration”.
With respect, as will be seen below, that set his analysis on an incorrect path. The motion judge pursued his analysis by finding that because Clause 4 is contained under a heading in the policy titled “For the purposes of this part”, Clause 4 applies to all of
Part II including the part dealing with weekly indemnity benefits payable under Clause (
c) after the initial 104 payments even if these payments are interrupted by more than 30 days of work resumption. [ 17 ] The judge went on to find that, although Clause (c) “appears to imply” an insured is not entitled to any further weekly benefits beyond the initial 104 if that insured was able to and did return to work, he felt to the extent both Clauses (
c) and 4 speak of weekly payments, that could be construed to mean Clause 4 does apply to “any occupation” benefits regardless of an intervening period of work between the end of “own occupation” benefits and cessation of work after the period of return to work. He was of the view this was as reasonable an
interpretation as the one asserted by Aviva and any ambiguity in that regard had to be interpreted in favour of Ms. MacDonald. On that basis, he granted her motion for
summary judgment. IV. Grounds of appeal [ 18 ] Aviva’s grounds of appeal raise the following question: in the circumstances of this case, was Ms. MacDonald entitled to receive weekly indemnity benefits beyond the 104 payments made to her after her return to work for a period of 13 months, given her subsequent inability to continue working? V. Standard of review [ 19 ] The appeal calls for an
interpretation of the relevant sections of a standard form contract and will be of precedential value. There is no meaningful factual matrix in dispute between the parties which might affect the
interpretation process. As a result, the
interpretation is categorized as a question of law subject to the correctness standard of review (see Ledcor Construction Ltd. v. Northbridge Indemnity Insurance Co. , 2016 SCC 37 , [2016] 2 S.C.R. 23 ). VI. Analysis [ 20 ] Loss of income benefits are payable for the period during which the insured person suffers substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his or her occupation or employment. The “inability” relates strictly to the insured’s own occupation or employment. Provided the insured meets the qualifying criteria of Clauses (
a) and (b), which Ms. MacDonald did, immediately following her accident, the first stream of weekly payments begin and are payable up to a maximum of 104 payments. [ 21 ] After receipt of the 104 th payment, Clause (
c) provides that if “such injury continuously prevents” the insured from engaging in another reasonably suitable employment, the insurer continues to make the weekly payments “for
the duration of such inability to perform the essential duties.” The term “continuous” refers to the insured’s immediate inability to engage in any other suitable employment while still in receipt of weekly benefits. In such a case, the insured continues to qualify for those benefits for as long as he or she continues to be unable to perform the essential duties of his or her own occupation or employment. The French version is entirely consistent with this
interpretation and is even clearer. It speaks of “l’empêchement sérieux (…) d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi” and the continuous payments beyond the 104 weeks « tant que l’empêchement sérieux persiste ». [ 22 ] The criteria for entitlement to payments beyond the 104 weeks are therefore twofold: the accident-related injury must immediately prevent the insured from engaging in any reasonably suitable occupation or employment. That, of course, refers to employment other than the insured’s own occupation.
In addition, the accident-related injury must continuously prevent the insured from performing the essential duties of his or her own occupation. [ 23 ] The purpose of Clause 4 is to not prejudice or penalize an insured who attempts to resume working at his or her own occupation or employment but, within 30 days of doing so, is unable to continue. That individual continues to qualify for weekly benefits for as long as the qualifying criteria continue to be satisfied.
The legislators picked the period of 30 days for this caveat given that if an insured is truly unable to continue working during that timeframe, that inability will presumably be supported by medical evidence justifying continuing weekly payments and the “up to 30-day” interruption should not result in termination of benefits indefinitely. Courts have interpreted Clause 4 as creating a presumption of disability if a person who has returned to work is unable to continue working within the 30 days of the resumption. In Clark v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. , [1982] O.J. No. 2543 (Ont.
County Court) (QL) : It seems to me that clause (4) under
Part II must be interpreted to mean that if a person who has received a weekly benefit because he had suffered substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his occupation or employment within 30 days from the date of the accident, returns to work but cannot continue then he is entitled to support from the loss of income provision again. There may be a presumption that he is still disabled if he has returned to work for less than 30 days. […] The general thrust of loss of income benefits refers to substantial inability to perform the essential duties of the occupation or employment.
Clause (4) is in the negative in that if the claimant returns to work and within 30 days thereafter becomes disabled again, such does not preclude him from collecting. There is no clause which states the grounds upon which he is precluded from payment except those clauses in the first part of
Part II of
Schedule C. It seems to me, therefore, that Clause (4) is merely a guideline as argued by counsel for the plaintiff and that what he has to prove to recover the income benefit again are the requirements of
Part II, that is that he was employed at the date of the accident and within 30 days of the date of the accident he suffered substantial inability to perform his duties and such continues. [paras. 8-10] [ 24 ] However, if an insured is medically cleared to return to the pre-accident employment, the policy makes no provision for payment of benefits which are dependant upon a certain level of performance required of an insured upon resuming such employment. Clause 4 speaks only of an inability “to continue” such occupation or employment and not an inability to perform duties of any particular description.
Clearly, in Ms. MacDonald’s case, she was medically cleared to resume her employment and “continued” working for 13 months after returning to her nursing job. She was therefore not “a person receiving a weekly payment” as contemplated in Clause 4 when she stopped working at the end of the 13-month period and therefore could not qualify for any further weekly indemnity benefits. [ 25 ] Clauses (
c) and 4 address different issues. Clause (
c) deals with the requirements or conditions for payment of weekly benefits. Clause 4 addresses a presumption of disability for someone who attempts to return to the pre-accident employment but, within 30 days of doing so, is unable to continue. Clause 4 does not address the requirements or conditions for payment of benefits beyond 104 weeks. There is no overlap between these two clauses and certainly none which might create uncertainty or an ambiguity. If Clause 4 is engaged, it is necessary to return to Clauses (a), (
b) or (
c) to determine entitlement to further benefits. [ 26 ] In Newton v. General Accident Assurance Co. , [1988] O.J. No. 153 (QL) , Steele J. of the Supreme Court of Ontario, High Court of Justice addressed a situation where, like Ms. MacDonald, an insured returned to his pre- accident employment after receiving 104 weekly payments and remained at work for more than 30 days before being unable to continue because of the accident-related injury.
He held: In my opinion, if, at the end of the 104-week period, an insured is able to pursue employment for which he is reasonably suited, there is no obligation upon the insurer to continue such payments. If at some later time the injuries from the motor vehicle accident should
preclude the insured from continuing in such employment, there is no obligation upon the insurer to recommence the payments. The word "continuously" in paragraph (
c) reinforces this view. [para. 12] The same rationale applies whether the individual returns to the pre-accident employment or engages in any other suitable employment after the 104 th payment. [ 27 ] The Ledcor guiding principles of
interpretation are apposite. The
interpretation must be consistent with the reasonable expectation of the parties as long as it is supported by the language of the policy. The
interpretation should not give rise to uncertain results which neither party could have contemplated in the context of entering into the policy (at para. 50). [ 28 ] While Clause 4 is “insured friendly” in that a period of up to 30 days of an unsuccessful attempt of work resumption does not disentitle the insured to “continue” to receive weekly benefits, it would not be reasonable for an insured to argue the wording of Clause 4 should be ignored and that much longer periods of work resumption, such as 13 months in this case, should not disentitle an insured to have benefits reinstated.
As noted, the legislators drew the “presumption of continuing disability” line at 30 days to derogate from the “continuous” inability to work criterion. However, beyond that, there can be no further entitlement to benefits for any insured who has continued to work, whether at his own employment or at another suitable occupation. [ 29 ] I would point out that this
interpretation does not penalize or prejudice an insured who has returned to work for more than 30 days. The policy, generally, clearly underscores an insured’s contractual duty to return to work when medically cleared to do so. There is no entitlement to weekly indemnity benefits for loss of income for individuals who are medically cleared but simply refuse to return to work. The policy is not an unconditional guarantee of payments. Indeed, qualifying criteria are required to be met for entitlement and, if not met, that is the end of the matter. [ 30 ] I do not subscribe to Ms.
MacDonald’s argument that she is being penalized for returning to work only to now be deprived of weekly benefits because her resumption of work had to be abandoned after 13 months. I also do not subscribe to the notion that being paid by her employer during the period of resumption of work is not conclusive of total disability on the basis it may equally be evidence of her employer’s accommodations, tolerance or compassion for her. With respect, those types of arguments would require reading into the policy contractual provisions which are absent and cannot be implied.
Those arguments do not square with the reasonable expectation of the parties. An insured cannot be heard to argue he/she is being penalized for doing what the policy requires them to do. VII. Disposition [ 31 ] I would allow the appeal of the motion judge’s decision granting Ms. MacDonald
summary judgment and set aside that decision. The parties agreed at the hearing that the record before the Court permits adjudication of Aviva’s motion for
summary judgment and I would grant
summary judgment in its favour. Under the circumstances of this case, Ms. MacDonald is not entitled to any further
Section B weekly indemnity benefits for loss of income beyond those already paid. [ 32 ] I would order costs payable to Aviva in the amount of $1,500. No costs were awarded in the court below and I would leave that disposition undisturbed. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Introduction
[1] Le présent appel porte sur l’interprétation de la
partie II de l’avenant F.P.N.-B. n o 1, la police d’assurance automobile (du propriétaire) du Nouveau-Brunswick et, notamment, sur les indemnités pour perte de revenu à verser au
titre de celle-ci. La police prévoit deux types d’indemnités pour perte de revenu :
(1) Premièrement, tant qu’un assuré satisfait aux critères donnant droit aux indemnités, l’assureur est tenu d’effectuer des paiements hebdomadaires pour la période pour laquelle l’assuré démontre un empêchement sérieux d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi jusqu’à une période initiale maximale de 104 versements.
(2) Deuxièmement, si, après avoir reçu les 104 premiers versements et alors qu’il touche toujours ces indemnités parce qu’il ne peut toujours pas accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi, l’assuré démontre que les dommages corporels continuent de l’empêcher d’exercer une profession ou un emploi pour lequel il est raisonnablement adapté par ses études, sa formation ou son expérience, l’assureur est tenu de continuer de verser les indemnités hebdomadaires tant que l’empêchement de l’assuré d’accomplir les tâches essentielles persiste. [2] L’article 4 de la
partie II stipule que, si une personne qui reçoit des indemnités hebdomadaires liées à sa profession ou son emploi tente de reprendre son travail et, dans les trente jours suivant son retour au travail, elle est, en raison de ses blessures liées à l’accident, incapable de continuer à travailler, elle ne perd pas de ce fait ses droits à la reprise du versement des indemnités, et ce, peu importe le moment de la reprise de son emploi pour une période maximale de trente jours. [3] La question dont était saisie la cour d’instance inférieure était celle de savoir si l’intimée, Joyce MacDonald, était en droit de toucher des indemnités après avoir reçu les 104 paiements étant donné que, après avoir reçu le dernier versement, elle a repris l’emploi qu’elle occupait avant l’accident pendant treize mois.
On a en outre demandé à la cour d’instance inférieure de déterminer si ses plaintes continues de douleur pendant la période de reprise du travail, lues conjointement avec les dispositions de la clause (4), lui permettaient de percevoir d’autres indemnités hebdomadaires une fois qu’elle a été déclarée incapable d’accomplir quelque travail que ce soit à la fin de la période de reprise du travail de treize mois. [4] M me MacDonald a déposé une motion en jugement
sommaire prétendant qu’elle avait le droit de continuer de recevoir des indemnités et son assureur, l’appelante Aviva, Compagnie d’Assurance du Canada, a déposé sa propre motion en jugement
sommaire pour obtenir une déclaration portant que M me MacDonald n’avait pas droit à d’autres indemnités. Le juge saisi de la motion a accueilli la motion de M me MacDonald et, bien qu’il n’ait pas expressément rejeté celle d’Aviva, le rejet de la motion de cette dernière était sous-entendu. [5] Aviva a formulé son avis d’appel de deux façons : (1) elle a sollicité l’annulation du jugement
sommaire accordé à M me MacDonald, ce pour quoi aucune autorisation d’interjeter appel n’était requise; (2) elle a sollicité l’annulation du rejet de sa propre motion ou une ordonnance prescrivant la tenue d’une nouvelle audience, ce qui constitue un appel d’une décision interlocutoire pour lequel l’obtention de l’autorisation d’interjeter appel est requise. Dans la mesure où l’autorisation était nécessaire, elle a été accordée. [6] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel d’Aviva et d’annuler la décision du juge saisi de la motion d’accorder un jugement
sommaire à M me MacDonald. Je suis également d’avis d’accueillir l’appel du rejet de la motion d’Aviva et de lui accorder un jugement
sommaire. II. Contexte factuel [7] Le 7 février 2011, M me MacDonald a été impliquée dans un accident de la route. Elle est née le 22 août 1965 et était âgée de 45 ans au moment de l’accident. Avant l’accident, elle était employée comme infirmière à l’Unité des anciens combattants de l’Hôpital régional de Campbellton. Même si elle avait un contrat à temps partiel avec l’hôpital, elle travaillait à temps plein.
Il est reconnu que son travail était physiquement exigeant. [8] Parmi les blessures qu’elle a subies lors de l’accident, il y avait une fracture du sternum ainsi que des blessures à la hanche gauche, au bas du dos, au genou gauche et au cou. Elle a également éprouvé un trouble de stress post-
traumatique et a plus tard commencé à souffrir d’anxiété et de dépression. Elle a été mise en arrêt de travail par ses médecins traitants, ces derniers ayant déterminé qu’elle était essentiellement incapable d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de son emploi. Par conséquent, elle était admissible à des indemnités hebdomadaires pour la perte de revenu liée à son emploi, indemnités qu’Aviva lui a versé. Elle a reçu 104 versements. [9] Durant la période pendant laquelle elle touchait des indemnités, M me MacDonald a reçu des traitements et son état s’est graduellement amélioré.
En mai 2013, elle a été autorisée par ses médecins à commencer un programme de retour progressif au travail et on a continué de suivre ses progrès. Il n’est pas contesté qu’elle a continué d’éprouver des symptômes de douleur après son retour au travail. Même si elle n’a pas atteint le niveau de rendement au travail qu’elle avait avant l’accident, la preuve démontre que ses heures de travail et sa rémunération ont atteint environ 85 % de ses niveaux antérieurs à l’accident. En outre, une grande
partie de ce qu’elle pouvait faire a été accomplie avec l’aide de collègues et d’un traitement continu. Parfois, à la fin d’un quart de travail, elle boitait et grimaçait à cause de la douleur, et elle évitait certaines tâches. [10] En juin 2014, M me MacDonald a subi une évaluation de ses capacités fonctionnelles à la demande de ses avocats. L’ergothérapeute qui a effectué l’évaluation, Lloyd Richard, s’est entretenu avec M me MacDonald et cette dernière lui a fourni des renseignements relatifs aux quarts de travail qu’elle effectuait.
Elle a indiqué qu’elle était capable d’effectuer deux quarts de travail consécutifs de douze heures, si bien qu’elle a dit à M. Richard que ses tâches étaient [TRADUCTION] « … tolérables, supportables et faisables ». Après avoir effectué une série de tests, M.
Richard a conclu que M me MacDonald répondait aux exigences physiques de son emploi, à condition qu’elle ne travaille pas plus de deux quarts de travail consécutifs de douze heures à la fois. [11] Toutefois, le 18 septembre 2014, en raison de symptômes persistants et de restrictions physiques, M me MacDonald a été mise en arrêt de travail pour une durée indéterminée par son médecin de famille. Elle avait travaillé pendant treize mois depuis qu’elle avait repris l’emploi qu’elle occupait avant l’accident.
On a tenté de lui trouver un autre emploi pour lequel elle aurait été raisonnablement adaptée par ses études, sa formation ou son expérience; toutefois, aucun emploi de ce genre n’était offert et son médecin de famille l’a jugée totalement incapable d’accomplir les tâches d’une profession quelconque. À ce moment-là, M me MacDonald était âgée de 49 ans. [12] En septembre 2014, M me MacDonald a sollicité la reprise du versement des indemnités hebdomadaires pour perte de revenu, mais Aviva a refusé sa demande au motif que M me MacDonald ne répondait pas aux critères de la
partie II de la police. Par souci de commodité, les dispositions pertinentes de la police sont reproduites ci-dessous en anglais et en français.
Part II — Loss of Income Subject to the provisions of this Part, the insurer will pay a weekly payment for the loss of income from employment for the period during which the insured person suffers substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his or her occupation or employment, provided, (
a) such person was employed at the date of the accident; (
b) within thirty (30) days from the date of the accident, and as a result of the accident, the insured person suffers substantial inability to perform the essential duties of his or her occupation or employment for a period of not less than seven (7) days; (
c) no payments shall be made for any period in excess of one hundred and four (104) weeks except that if at the end of the one hundred and four (104) week period, it has been established that such injury continuously prevents such person from engaging in any occupation or employment for which he or she is reasonably suited by education, training or experience, the insurer agrees to make such weekly payments for the duration of such inability to perform the essential duties. […] For the purposes of this Part, (4) a person receiving a weekly payment who, within thirty (30) days of resuming his or her occupation or employment, is unable to continue such occupation or employment as a result of such injury, is not precluded from receiving further weekly payments[.]
Partie II – Perte de revenu
Sous réserve des autres dispositions de la présente partie, en cas d’empêchement sérieux de la personne assurée d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi, il est payé, pendant la durée de l’invalidité, une indemnité hebdomadaire de perte de revenu, pourvu que :
a) la personne assurée soit employée à la date de l’accident;
b) l’empêchement sérieux de la personne assurée d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi se manifeste dans les trente jours qui suivent la date de l’accident et dure au moins sept jours;
c) l’indemnité soit payée pendant une période maximale de cent quatre semaines; cependant, s’il est démontré, à la fin de cette période, que les dommages corporels continuent d’empêcher la personne d’exercer une profession ou un emploi pour lequel elle est raisonnablement adaptée par ses études, sa formation ou son expérience, l’assureur s’engage à verser l’indemnité hebdomadaire tant que l’empêchement sérieux persiste. […] Pour l’application de la présente
partie :
(4) La personne ayant repris le travail après avoir eu droit à une indemnité hebdomadaire ne perd pas de ce fait ses droits à la reprise du versement de l’indemnité si, dans les trente jours de son retour au travail, elle est, en raison de ses blessures, incapable de continuer à travailler. [13] Je souligne que l’alinéa c) de la
partie II prévoit que les versements hebdomadaires relatifs à l’incapacité continue de l’assuré d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi ne continueront pour une période supérieure à la période pour laquelle les 104 versements hebdomadaires initiaux sont effectués que si : […] il est démontré, à la fin de cette période [de cent quatre semaines], que les dommages corporels continuent d’empêcher la personne d’exercer une profession ou un emploi pour lequel elle est raisonnablement adaptée par ses études, sa formation ou son expérience […] [Gras ajouté.]
L’assureur convient que, si aucun autre emploi convenable ne peut être trouvé, les versements doivent continuer « tant que l’empêchement sérieux persiste ». La mention des « tâches essentielles » se rapporte aux tâches essentielles visées au premier paragraphe de la
partie II, c’est-à-dire les tâches essentielles de la profession de la personne assurée. [14] Si M me MacDonald avait répondu aux critères ci-dessus et qu’elle avait encore touché des indemnités hebdomadaires, Aviva aurait été tenue de continuer à lui verser des indemnités hebdomadaires tant qu’elle aurait été incapable d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession. Mais, comme nous l’avons indiqué, ce n’est pas ce qui s’est passé. [15] M me MacDonald a intenté une action pour recouvrer des indemnités et a par la suite déposé une motion en jugement
sommaire déclarant son droit aux indemnités. Aviva a déposé une motion parallèle en jugement
sommaire visant à obtenir une décision déclarant que M me MacDonald ne répondait pas aux exigences de la police donnant droit à ces indemnités. Comme il a été mentionné, le juge saisi de la motion a accueilli la motion de M me MacDonald et, bien qu’il n’ait pas expressément statué sur la motion d’Aviva, celle-ci a été réputée rejetée. Aviva a interjeté appel. III.
La décision du juge saisi de la motion [16] L’analyse du juge saisi de la motion, qui tranche en faveur de M me MacDonald, commence avec une affirmation que son incapacité de continuer à travailler après la période de reprise de treize mois suivant la première période de versement d’indemnités était une [TRADUCTION] « considération importante ». Avec égards, comme nous le verrons ci-dessous, cela a engagé son analyse dans la mauvaise voie. Le juge saisi de la motion a poursuivi son analyse en concluant que, puisque la clause (4) figure sous la rubrique « Pour l’application de la présente
partie » de la police, elle s’applique à l’ensemble de la
partie II, y compris à la
partie portant sur les indemnités hebdomadaires payables au
titre de l’alinéa c) après les 104 premiers versements, même si ces versements sont interrompus par une période de retour au travail supérieure à trente jours. [17] Le juge a ensuite conclu que, bien que l’alinéa c) [TRADUCTION] « semble sous-entendre » qu’un assuré n’aurait pas droit à d’autres indemnités hebdomadaires après les 104 premiers versements si cette personne était en mesure de reprendre son emploi et qu’elle était effectivement retournée travailler, il estimait que, dans la mesure où l’alinéa c) et la clause (4) traitaient tous deux d’indemnités hebdomadaires, cela pourrait être interprété comme signifiant que la clause (4) s’applique aussi aux indemnités de [TRADUCTION] « toute profession », malgré une période de retour au travail entre la fin de la période de versement des indemnités de sa [TRADUCTION] « profession habituelle » et l’arrêt de travail après la période de retour au travail.
Il était d’avis qu’il s’agissait là d’une interprétation aussi raisonnable que celle avancée par Aviva et que toute ambiguïté à cet égard devait être interprétée en faveur de M me MacDonald. Sur ce fondement, il a accueilli la motion en jugement
sommaire de M me MacDonald. IV. Moyens d’appel [18] Les moyens d’appel d’Aviva soulèvent la question suivante : dans les circonstances de l’espèce, M me MacDonald était-elle admissible à recevoir des indemnités, au-delà des 104 versements qui lui avaient été faits, après son retour au travail pendant treize mois , compte tenu de son incapacité subséquente de continuer à travailler? V. Norme de contrôle [19] L’appel commande une interprétation des clauses pertinentes d’un contrat type et aura valeur de précédent.
Il n’y a pas de fondement factuel significatif en litige entre les parties qui pourrait avoir une incidence sur l’exercice d’interprétation. Par conséquent, l’interprétation est une question de droit assujettie à un contrôle selon la norme de la décision correcte ( voir Ledcor Construction Ltd. c. Société d’assurance d’indemnisation Northbridge , 2016 CSC 37 , [2016] 2 R.C.S. 23 ). VI.
Analyse [20] Les indemnités hebdomadaires pour perte de revenu sont payables pour la période pendant laquelle la personne assurée souffre d’un empêchement sérieux d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi. L’« empêchement » se rapporte uniquement à la profession ou à l’emploi de l’assuré. Si l’assuré répond aux critères d’admissibilité des
alinéas
a) et b), ce qui était le cas pour M me MacDonald immédiatement après son accident, les premiers versements d’indemnités hebdomadaires commencent et ces indemnités sont payables jusqu’à concurrence du maximum de 104 versements. [21] L’alinéa c) stipule que si, après le 104 e versement, « les dommages corporels continuent d’empêcher » l’assuré d’exercer un autre emploi pour lequel il est raisonnablement adapté, l’assureur continue de verser les indemnités hebdomadaires « tant que l’empêchement sérieux [d’accomplir les tâches essentielles] persiste ».
Le terme « continuent » a trait à l’empêchement immédiat de l’assuré d’exercer un autre emploi pour lequel il est raisonnablement adapté alors qu’il touche toujours des indemnités hebdomadaires. Dans un tel cas, la personne assurée continue d’avoir droit à ces indemnités tant qu’elle est incapable d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi. La version française est tout à fait conforme à cette interprétation et est encore plus claire.
Elle traite de « l’empêchement sérieux […] d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi » et du versement continu après la période de 104 semaines, « tant que l’empêchement sérieux persiste ». [22] Les critères donnant droit aux indemnités au-delà de la période de 104 semaines ont donc deux volets : la blessure subie par suite de l’accident doit empêcher immédiatement l’assuré d’exercer une profession ou un emploi pour lequel il est raisonnablement adapté. Il s’agit, bien sûr, d’un emploi autre que celui de l’assuré.
En outre, la blessure subie par suite de l’accident doit continuer d’empêcher l’assuré d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa propre profession. [23] La clause (4) n’a pas pour objet de porter atteinte à un assuré qui tente de reprendre son travail, mais qui, dans les trente jours suivant cette date, n’est pas en mesure de continuer, ou de le pénaliser. Cette personne continue d’être admissible aux indemnités hebdomadaires tant qu’elle répond aux critères.
Les législateurs ont choisi une période de trente jours pour cette exception, car, si un assuré est réellement dans l’incapacité de continuer à travailler pendant cette période, cette incapacité sera vraisemblablement appuyée par une preuve médicale justifiant la poursuite du versement des indemnités hebdomadaires et l’interruption [TRADUCTION] « d’une période maximale de trente jours » ne devrait pas entraîner la cessation des indemnités indéfiniment.
Les tribunaux ont interprété la clause (4) comme créant une présomption d’invalidité pour le cas où une personne qui est retournée au travail est incapable de continuer à travailler dans les trente jours suivant son retour. Dans Clark c. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. , [1982] O.J. No. 2543 (c. de c té Ont.) (QL), la Cour indique ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] J’estime que la clause (4) de la
partie II doit être interprétée comme signifiant que, si une personne qui a reçu une indemnité hebdomadaire parce qu’elle a subi un empêchement sérieux d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de sa profession ou de son emploi dans les trente jours suivant la date de l’accident retourne au travail, mais ne peut pas continuer, elle est en droit de toucher de nouveau aux indemnités prévues par la disposition relative à la perte de revenu.
Il peut y avoir une présomption selon laquelle elle est toujours invalide si elle a repris le travail pendant moins de trente jours. […] Dans l’ensemble, les indemnités pour perte de revenu portent sur un empêchement sérieux d’accomplir les tâches essentielles de la profession ou de l’emploi. La clause (4) est négative, c’est-à-dire que si le demandeur retourne au travail et redevient invalide dans les trente jours qui suivent, cela ne l’empêche pas de toucher des indemnités. Aucune clause n’énonce de raison pour laquelle il n’aurait pas droit aux indemnités, à l’exception de celles de la première
partie de la
partie II de l’annexe C. Il me semble donc que, comme le fait valoir l’avocat du demandeur, la clause (4) n’est qu’une balise et que, pour toucher de nouveau aux indemnités pour perte de revenu, le demandeur doit prouver qu’il répond aux exigences de la
partie II, c’est-à-dire qu’il était employé à la date de l’accident et que, dans les trente jours suivant la date de l’accident, il a subi un empêchement sérieux d’accomplir ses tâches essentielles et que cet empêchement persiste. [par. 8 à 10] [24] Toutefois, si un assuré est autorisé par son médecin à reprendre l’emploi qu’il occupait avant l’accident, la police ne contient aucune disposition relative au versement d’indemnités qui dépendent d’un certain niveau de rendement requis d’un assuré lors de la reprise de cet emploi.
La clause 4 ne traite que de l’incapacité de « continuer » d’exercer une profession ou un emploi et non d’une incapacité d’accomplir des tâches d’une description particulière. De toute évidence, dans le cas de M me MacDonald, elle a été autorisée par son médecin à reprendre son emploi et a « continué » de travailler pendant treize mois après avoir repris son emploi d’infirmière.
Elle n’était donc pas une « personne ayant [eu droit à] une indemnité hebdomadaire » au sens de la clause (4) lorsqu’elle a cessé de travailler à la fin de la période de treize mois, et elle ne pouvait donc être en droit de toucher d’autres indemnités hebdomadaires. [25] L’alinéa c) et la clause (4) traitent de questions différentes. L’alinéa c) traite des critères ou
conditions afférents au versement d’indemnités hebdomadaires. La clause (4) traite d’une présomption d’invalidité pour une personne qui tente de reprendre l’emploi qu’elle occupait avant l’accident, mais qui, dans les trente jours qui suivent, est incapable de continuer. La clause (4) ne traite pas des critères ou conditions afférents au versement d’indemnités au-delà de la période de 104 semaines. Il n’y a pas de chevauchement entre ces deux dispositions et certainement aucun chevauchement qui pourrait susciter une incertitude ou une ambiguïté. Si la clause (4) est engagée, il faut revenir aux alinéas a),
b) ou
c) pour déterminer le droit à d’autres indemnités. [26] Dans Newton c. General Accident Assurance Co. , [1988] O.J. No. 153 (QL) , le juge Steele, de la Cour suprême de l’Ontario, Division de la Haute Cour, a traité d’une situation où, comme M me MacDonald, un assuré est retourné à l’emploi qu’il occupait avant l’accident après avoir reçu 104 versements d’indemnités hebdomadaires et a continué de travailler pendant plus de trente jours avant de se retrouver dans l’incapacité de continuer en raison de la blessure subie dans l’accident.
Il a conclu ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] J’estime que si, à la fin de la période de 104 semaines, l’assuré est capable d’exercer un emploi pour lequel il est raisonnablement adapté, l’assureur n’est nullement obligé de continuer à verser les indemnités. Si, à une date ultérieure, il advient que les dommages corporels découlant de l’accident de véhicule à moteur empêchent l’assuré de continuer à exercer cet emploi, l’assureur n’est nullement tenu de recommencer à verser des indemnités.
L’expression « continuent d’empêcher » employée à l’alinéa c) renforce cette opinion. [par. 12] La même logique s’applique peu importe si, après le 104 e versement, la personne reprend l’emploi qu’elle occupait avant l’accident ou si elle exerce tout autre emploi pour lequel elle est raisonnablement adaptée. [27] Les principes directeurs d’interprétation énoncés dans l’arrêt Ledcor sont pertinents. L’interprétation doit être conforme aux attentes raisonnables des parties, pourvu qu’elle soit appuyée par le libellé de la police.
L’interprétation ne devrait pas donner lieu à des résultats imprévisibles qu’aucune des parties n’aurait pu envisager dans le contexte où la police a été contractée (par. 50). [28] Bien que la clause (4) soit [TRADUCTION] « favorable à l’assuré » en ce sens qu’une période de tentative infructueuse de reprise du travail pouvant aller jusqu’à trente jours ne prive pas l’assuré du droit de « continuer » à toucher des indemnités hebdomadaires, il ne serait pas raisonnable pour un assuré de prétendre qu’on devrait faire fi du libellé de la clause (4) et que des périodes beaucoup plus longues de reprise du travail, comme treize mois en l’espèce, ne devraient pas priver un assuré du droit à la reprise du versement des indemnités.
Comme nous l’avons indiqué, le législateur a tracé la ligne de la [TRADUCTION] « présomption de poursuite de l’invalidité » à trente jours pour déroger au critère de l’incapacité « continue » de travailler. Toutefois, un assuré qui a continué de travailler, que ce soit en exerçant l’emploi qu’il occupait avant l’accident ou tout autre emploi pour lequel il est raisonnablement adapté, ne peut avoir droit à d’autres indemnités après cela. [29] Je soulignerais que cette interprétation ne porte pas atteinte à un assuré qui est retourné travailler pendant plus de trente jours et ne le pénalise pas.
En général, la police indique clairement l’obligation contractuelle d’un assuré de retourner au travail après que son médecin lui a donné l’autorisation de le faire. Les personnes qui ont une autorisation médicale de retourner au travail, mais qui refusent simplement de le faire n’ont aucun droit aux indemnités hebdomadaires pour perte de revenu. La police n’est pas une garantie inconditionnelle de versement d’indemnités.
En effet, des critères doivent être remplis pour y avoir droit et, s’ils ne le sont pas, l’affaire est close. [30] Je ne souscris pas à l’argument de M me MacDonald selon lequel elle est pénalisée pour être retournée au travail, car elle est maintenant privée d’indemnités hebdomadaires parce qu’elle a dû cesser sa reprise du travail après treize mois.
Je ne souscris pas non plus à la notion selon laquelle le fait qu’elle ait été payée par son employeur pendant la période de reprise du travail ne permet pas de conclure à l’existence d’une invalidité totale, car il peut également s’agir d’une preuve de mesures d’adaptation, de tolérance ou de compassion de son employeur à son égard. Avec égards, pour souscrire à ce type d’argument, il faudrait interpréter la police comme comportant des dispositions contractuelles qui sont absentes et ne peuvent pas être sous-entendues. Ces arguments ne sont pas conformes aux attentes raisonnables des parties.
Un assuré ne saurait prétendre être pénalisé pour avoir fait ce que la police lui exige de faire. VII. Dispositif [31] J’accueillerais l’appel de la décision du juge saisi de la motion accordant le jugement
sommaire
à M me MacDonald et j’annulerais cette décision. Les parties ont convenu à l’audience que le dossier dont dispose la Cour permet de statuer sur la motion en jugement
sommaire d’Aviva, et j’accorderais un jugement
sommaire en sa faveur. Dans les circonstances de l’espèce, M me MacDonald n’a pas droit à d’autres indemnités hebdomadaires pour perte de revenu prévues au
chapitre B autres que celles qui lui ont déjà été versées. [32] J’adjugerais à Aviva des dépens de 1 500 $. La cour d’instance inférieure n’a pas adjugé de dépens et je maintiendrais cette décision.