2020 NBCA 63, 2020 NBCA 63
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 38-20-CA GEORGE BARRETT APPELLANT GEORGE BARRETT APPELANT - and - - et - WORKPLACE HEALTH, SAFETY AND COMPENSATION COMMISSION and [THE] CITY OF FREDERICTON RESPONDENTS COMMISSION DE LA SANTÉ, DE LA SÉCURITÉ ET DE L’INDEMNISATION DES ACCIDENTS AU TRAVAIL et [THE] CITY OF FREDERICTON INTIMÉES Barrett v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission and The City of Fredericton, 2020 NBCA 63 Barrett c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et The City of Fredericton, 2020 NBCA 63 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Tribunal: February 12, 2020 Appel d’une décision du Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail : le 12 février 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard and judgment rendered: September 22, 2020 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 22 septembre 2020
Reasons delivered: November 12, 2020 Motifs déposés : le 12 novembre 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrit aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: George A. McAllister, Q.C. For the respondent Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission: Matthew R. Letson For the respondent The City of Fredericton: Ryan Burgoyne and Véronique Guitard Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : George A.
McAllister, c.r. Pour l’intimée la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail : Matthew R. Letson Pour l’intimée The City of Fredericton : Ryan Burgoyne et Véronique Guitard THE COURT All prerequisites for the immunity provided by s. 11(1) of the Workers’ Compensation Act in favour of the respondent City are met. It follows, as the Appeals Tribunal correctly determined, the appellant’s right of action against the City is barred. It is for this reason the appeal was dismissed promptly after hearing the parties. Costs of $1,500 are payable by the appellant to the City.
There is no further order of costs. LA COUR Toutes les conditions préalables à l’application de l’immunité prévue par le par. 11(1) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail en faveur de la municipalité intimée sont remplies. Il s’ensuit, comme le Tribunal d’appel l’a décidé avec raison, que le droit d’action de l’appelant contre la municipalité est irrecevable. C’est pour ce motif que l’appel a été rejeté promptement après l’audition des parties. L’appelant devra payer des dépens de 1 500 $ à la municipalité. Aucuns autres dépens ne sont adjugés. The judgment of the Court was delivered by DRAPEAU and GREEN, JJ.A. I. Introduction
[ 1 ] Under s. 12 of the Workers’ Compensation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. W-13 (the “ Act ”), the provisions of
Part I are in lieu of all claims and rights of action of a worker against his or her employer that relate to an accident in respect of which benefits are payable under that Part. The immunity provided by s. 12 is straightforward and comprehensive. However, in the present case, the underlying action for damages resulting from a trip and fall on a municipal sidewalk is against a
Part I employer other than the appellant’s, which brings into play s. 11(1). [ 2 ] Section 11(1) states that, in any case where a worker of an employer within the scope of
Part I has the option of claiming compensation benefits or suing for damages, he or she does not have a right of action against another employer within the scope of
Part I or any worker of “that employer, where the workers of both employers were in the course of their employment at the time of the accident […]”. The appellant contends the s. 11(1) immunity in favour of the employer, in this case The City of Fredericton, applies solely to cases of vicarious liability where the plaintiff worker and the at-fault worker were both in the course of their employment at the time of the accident. We respectfully disagree. [ 3 ] In our view, the employer-benefitting immunity provided by s. 11(1) applies, subject to the exceptions specified in s. 11(1.1), to all forms of liability, whether direct or imputed, so long as the injured person was a “worker” of a
Part I employer at the time of the accident, it occurred in the course of this worker’s employment, the defendant was also an “employer” under
Part I and the cause of action relates to the last-mentioned employer’s “industry”. [ 4 ] After hearing the parties, the Court promptly dismissed the appeal, with reasons to follow. In abridged form, the crux of our reasons is simply that the conditions for the application of the immunity under s. 11(1) in favour of The City of Fredericton are met. Accordingly, as the Appeals Tribunal correctly determined, the appellant’s right of action against the City is barred. Our reasons for decision are fulsomely explained in the text that follows. II.
Context [ 5 ] On June 12, 2012, George Barrett was engaged in his work as an employee of S.A. Deliveries, a Fredericton-based local delivery company. At approximately 9:43 a.m., Mr. Barrett was making a delivery to a civic address located on King Street in The City of Fredericton. [ 6 ] Mr. Barrett alleged that while making his delivery, he tripped and fell on an uneven
section of sidewalk, suffering personal injuries as a result. These Mr. Barrett enumerated as including lacerations and contusions to his mouth, the loss of seven teeth, pain and discomfort in his mouth and jaw, and connective tissue injuries. [ 7 ] On June 12, 2012, Mr. Barrett signed a Report of Accident or Industrial Disease, known as a Form 67, thereby giving notice to the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission that an accident had occurred, and initiating the process that would allow Mr. Barrett as an injured worker to apply for and receive benefits under the Act . Mr.
Barrett subsequently received what were referred to as “medical aid benefits” under the compensation scheme, but as there was no evidence provided to the Commission that he had lost time from his employment, no benefits for wage replacement were paid. [ 8 ] At the time the accident occurred, S.A. Deliveries was a registered employer under the Act . [ 9 ] In a letter dated December 12, 2012, the Commission advised Mr. Barrett it would not be “bringing an action against the person(
s) who may be responsible for your injuries”. The letter goes on to state: The Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission will not pursue this matter any further. The Commission returns the right of action to you. It is your decision whether or not you choose to begin legal proceedings on your own. […] The Commission’s subrogated interest pursuant to the Workers’ Compensation Act remains in effect. This means that the Commission must be repaid by you all of the costs of the benefits of your claim that were either paid by the Commission to you or on your behalf or to which you are entitled to receive in the future, if you receive a settlement or judgment in this matter.
[…] Our knowledge of the causation for your accident and injuries is limited. Therefore, we do not know whether any legal action may be barred by the operation of the Workers’ Compensation Act . [ 10 ] Mr.
Barrett commenced legal action against The City of Fredericton on June 7, 2013, with the filing of a Notice of Action with Statement of Claim Attached. [ 11 ] Relying upon s. 11(2) of the Act , which provides that “[a]ny party to an action may apply to the Commission for adjudication and determination of the plaintiff’s right to compensation under this Part, or as to whether the action is one which the right to bring is taken away by this Part,” The City of Fredericton submitted to the Commission such an application. The sole issue was straightforward: whether or not Mr.
Barrett’s right of action against the City was taken away by operation of the provisions of
Part I of the Act . [ 12 ] Following the normal procedural course, the City’s application was adjudicated by the Office of the General Counsel of the Commission. In reaching his determination, the Commission’s General Counsel focused on four central questions. Given their contextual importance for this case, we reproduce here the General Counsel’s conclusions on each: 1. Was the Plaintiff a worker within the meaning of the Act ? In my opinion, the answer to this is yes. The Respondent refers to himself as an employee of S.A.
Deliveries and has also provided me with a copy of his Form 67 in which he notifies WorkSafeNB of the workplace accident and applies for benefits as a worker of that company. 2. If so, were the injuries sustained in the course of his or her employment? Following on the answer to question one, in my opinion the answer to question two is also in the affirmative. The facts submitted to me are that the Respondent’s injuries were caused while he was in the course of his employment making a delivery at 515 King Street in Fredericton, New Brunswick. 3. Is the defendant an employer within the meaning of the Act ?
In my opinion the answer to this question is also in the affirmative. The City of Fredericton is a registered employer under the Act , has workers and pays assessments on the wages of those workers. As such the City of Fredericton has all the obligations and benefits imposed on and afforded to any registered employer within the province of New Brunswick under the Workers’ Compensation Act . 4.
If the defendant is an employer within the meaning of the Act , does the claim arise out of the acts or defaults of the employer or of the employer’s employees while engaged in, about or in connection with the industry or employment in which the employer or worker of such employer causing the injury is engaged? The answer to this question is, in my opinion, also in the affirmative. The evidence presented to me is that the defective sidewalk in front of 515 King Street in Fredericton was municipal property and subject to inspection and maintenance by City of Fredericton workers.
The allegation is that those City of Fredericton workers were negligent and did not inspect or repair the sidewalk is required as part of their duties. It was the disrepair of the municipal sidewalk at 515 King Street that caused the Respondent’s injuries. As such, I find that the immunity from suit provisions as found in the New Brunswick Workers’ Compensation Act and relevant and applicable case law from Superior Courts in Canada, including the Supreme Court of Canada, operate to bar the Respondent’s legal
action against the Defendants. [13] In light of the General Counsel’s May 3, 2016 decision, Mr. Barrett exercised his right of appealand took the matter before the Worker’s Compensation Appeals Tribunal. The Tribunal issued its decision on February 12, 2020,wherein the Chairperson held as follows: I reach the same conclusion as the Commission’s general counsel. Subsection 11(1) does not require that a worker of a third-partyemployer be in the course of his or her employment at the time of the accident.
Moreover, contrary to the appellant’s submission, theCommission’s December 12, 2012 letter did not authorize his cause of action, as it expressly took no position on whether it was barredunder subsection 11(2). The appeal is denied. [14] Mr. Barrett now turns to this Court in the hope we will grant him “leave to proceed with hisaction in the Court of Queen’s Bench”. III. Analysis and Decision [15] Under s. 21(12) of the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission Act, S.N.B.1994, c. W-14, all decisions of the Appeals Tribunal are subject to appeal to this Court on questions of law.
The outcome of the presentappeal depends on the scope of the immunity conferred by s. 11(1) upon The City of Fredericton as an “employer” under
Part I. Section11(1) reads as follows: 11(1) In any case within
section 10, noemployer and no worker of an employerwithin the scope of this Part or dependent ofthat worker shall have a right of action againstany employer within the scope of this Part oragainst any worker of that employer, wherethe workers of both employers were in thecourse of their employment at the time of theaccident, but in any case where it appears tothe satisfaction of the Commission that aworker of an employer in any class wasinjured or killed owing to the negligence of anemployer or the worker of an employer inanother class, the Commission may directthat the compensation awarded in that caseshall be charged against the class to which thelast mentioned employer belongs. [Emphasis added.] 11(1) Dans tous les cas prévus à l’article 10,aucun employeur ni aucun travailleur d’unemployeur entrant dans le champd’application de la présente Partie, ni aucunepersonne à la charge du travailleur n’ont ledroit de poursuivre un employeur rentrantdans le champ d’application de la présentePartie ni un travailleur de cet employeurlorsque les travailleurs des deux employeursexerçaient leurs fonctions au moment del’accident, mais dans tous les cas où laCommission estime qu’un travailleur d’unemployeur d’une catégorie quelconque a étéblessé ou tué par suite de la négligence d’unemployeur ou du travailleur d’un employeurd’une autre catégorie, la Commission peutordonner que l’indemnité accordée dans cecas soit imputable sur la catégorie à laquelleappartient l’employeur mentionné en dernierlieu. [Nous avons souligné.] [16] It bears noting s. 11(1) does not apply where the worker is injured or killed while transported inthe course of employment by any mode of transportation in respect of which public liability insurance is required, or as a result of amotor vehicle accident (see s. 11(1.1) and Spellman v.
Gulf Operators Ltd. et al. (1994), (NB CA), 143 N.B.R. (2d)382, [1994] N.B.J. No. 27 (C.A.) (QL)). As well, under s. 11(2), the Commission has exclusive jurisdiction, on application by any partyto an action, to adjudicate and determine whether “the action is one which the right to bring is taken away” by
Part I. [17] The precise issue for determination is whether the phrase “where the workers of both employerswere in the course of employment at the time of the accident” (“key phrase”) imposes a limit on an employer’s immunity from suit. Theappeal is premised on the theory that the bar prescribed by s. 11(1) applies to both the defendant employer and that employer’s allegedlyat-fault worker only where the following condition is met: both the injured worker and the worker at fault were in the course of theirrespective employments at the time of the accident. Unless this requirement of contemporaneity is satisfied, the bar in favour of, not only
the worker at fault, but, as well, the employer of that worker would not apply. Interestingly, at various points in the debates before theCommission and the Appeals Tribunal, the scope of the contemporaneity requirement was described in terms that limited the bar toinstances where the worker at fault was physically present at the scene of the accident when it occurred. [18] On application by the City pursuant to s. 11(2), the Commission determined the appellant’saction was barred.
The Appeals Tribunal subsequently dismissed an appeal from that determination after concluding the key phrase didnot apply to the bar in favour of the employer under s. 11(1). We agree with that determination, but for reasons that occasionally diverge,expand upon or supplement those put forward by the Tribunal. Since no City worker is a defendant in the underlying action, we are freeto dispose of the appeal without identifying the precise meaning of the key phrase, one that has been described as “a drafting error” (see Terence G.
Ison, Workers’ Compensation in Canada, 2nd ed. (Toronto: Butterworths, 1989) at p. 164). When that question will requirean answer from the Court, the parties would be well advised to bear in mind the Act’s particular wording in drawing interpretativeassistance from the leading textbooks, including Workers’ Compensation in Canada and Garth Dee, Nick McCombie & Gary Newhouse,Workers’ Compensation in Ontario (Toronto and Vancouver: Butterworths, 1987), and cases such as Meyer v. Waycon InternationalTrucks Ltd.; McDermott (next friend of) v. Waycon International Trucks Ltd., [1986] O.J. No. 511 (C.A.) (QL).
The differences inwording between the Act and workers’ compensation legislation elsewhere may or may not be significant. In delivering the Court’sreasons in Spellman v. Gulf Operators, Hoyt, C.J.N.B. offered the following caution: The task of interpreting some of the provisions of the Workers’ Compensation Act is not always easy. The Act is a patchwork ofamendments. The language employed often differs, sometimes only slightly, from that used in comparable legislation in other provinces.Thus, decisions from those jurisdictions must be carefully reviewed to see if they have application. [para. 21] A.
The Standard of Review [19] The appeal raises a question of law: the proper
interpretation of the Act. Correctness is thereforethe governing standard of review. This point was made by the Court at least a half-century ago, and it has steadfastly adhered to thatapproach. An inventory of the pre-2000 pertinent cases is provided in Gallant v. Workplace, Health, Safety and CompensationCommission (N.B.) (2000), (NB CA), 228 N.B.R. (2d) 98, [2000] N.B.J. No. 320 (QL): […] the meaning of the words found in the Act is a question of law. See Lanteigne v.
Workmen’s Compensation Board (N.B.) (1973), (NB CA), 7 N.B.R. (2d) 36 (C.A.), at para. 11, dealing with the meaning of the word “dependent” as used in the Act,Crothers and Sussex Farm & Garden Ltd. v. Martin and Ascon Ltd. and Workers’ Compensation Board (N.B.) (1982), (NB CA), 44 N.B.R. (2d) 59; 116 A.P.R. 59 (C.A.), dealing with the meaning of “employer” and “workman” as found in s. 1 of theAct, Boissonneault v. Workmen’s Compensation Board (1977), (NB CA), 18 N.B.R. (2d) 621; 26 A.P.R. 621 (C.A.),affd. (1977) 18 N.R. 540; 19 N.B.R. (2d) 539; 30 A.P.R. 539 (S.C.C.) and Kinney v.
Workmen’s Compensation Board (N.B.) (1972), (NB CA), 4 N.B.R. (2d) 705 (C.A.), affd. (1973) (NB CA), 5 N.B.R. (2d) 784 (S.C.C.), on themeaning of the expression “arising out of and in the course of employment” as used in the Act. The meaning of the expression “incometax ... that would be payable by the worker based on those [average] earnings” found in the definition of “average net earnings” providedby s. 38.1(1) of the Act is a question of law. [para. 12] See, as well, VSL Canada Ltd. v.
Workplace Health Safety and Compensation Commission and Duguay et al., 2011 NBCA 76, 376N.B.R. (2d) 292, Workplace Health Safety and Compensation Commission v. St-Onge, 2018 NBCA 53, [2018] N.B.J. No. 198 (QL),Perry v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission et al., 2018 NBCA 80, [2018] N.B.J. No. 291 (QL) and Longphee v.Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission, 2020 NBCA 45, [2020] N.B.J. No. 157 (QL), at para. 18.
Importantly, thecorrectness of our Court’s time-honoured approach was recently vindicated by the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in Canada(Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v. Vavilov, 2019 SCC 65, [2019] S.C.J. No. 65 (QL). B. The Principles of Statutory
Interpretation [20] The appellant submits the bar-creating part of s. 11(1) should be interpreted narrowly since itpurports to eliminate a right of action at common law for fault or negligence, and related damages. We respectfully reject this submissionfor the following reasons. [21] In Keddy v.
Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission, Region 3 HospitalCorporation and Anne Brown, 2002 NBCA 24, 247 N.B.R. (2d) 284, Robertson J.A., writing for himself and a colleague, spurned,admittedly in obiter dicta and without the benefit of arguments on point, the very interpretative submission put forward by the appellantin the present case, namely that s. 11(1) should be construed narrowly because it closes the courtroom doors to adjudication of a
common law right of action: […] I note that the appellant does not argue that s. 11(1) of the Workers’ Compensation Act should be construed narrowly because itabrogates her common law right to pursue a tort claim. That type of argument runs contrary to the essence of every no-faultcompensation scheme and s. 17 of the
Interpretation Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-13. That
section dictates that every enactment must begiven a “fair, large and liberal construction” that best ensures the attainment of the object of the Act or provision thereof. […] [para. 78] Having considered the parties’ thorough submissions on the salient principles of statutory
interpretation, we unhesitatingly endorseJustice Robertson’s opinion. [22] In our view, s. 11(1) stands to be interpreted in accordance with the framework adopted in Rizzo& Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 27, [1998] S.C.J. No. 2 (QL): Although much has been written about the
interpretation of legislation (see, e.g., Ruth Sullivan, Statutory
Interpretation (1997); RuthSullivan, Driedger on the Construction of Statutes (3rd ed. 1994) (hereinafter “Construction of Statutes”); Pierre-André Côté, TheInterpretation of Legislation in Canada (2nd ed. 1991)), Elmer Driedger in Construction of Statutes (2nd ed. 1983) best encapsulates theapproach upon which I prefer to rely. He recognizes that statutory
interpretation cannot be founded on the wording of the legislationalone. At p. 87 he states: Today there is only one principle or approach, namely, the words of
an Act are to be read in their entire context and in their grammaticaland ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the Act, the object of the Act, and the intention of Parliament. [para. 21] [23] As is well known, the context is invariably critical in ascertaining a provision’s correctmeaning. For interpretative purposes, context includes the wording of the specific statutory provision at issue and of associatedprovisions, as well as the history, scheme and purpose of the legislation. In the latter regard, we can do no better than repeat theobservations on point in Pasiechnyk v.
Saskatchewan (Workers’ Compensation Board), (SCC), [1997] 2 S.C.R. 890,[1997] S.C.J. No. 74 (QL): The history and purpose of workers’ compensation supports the proposition that the Board in this case had exclusive jurisdiction todecide the question of whether the statutory bar applies, because this question is intimately related to one side of the historic trade-offembodied in the system. Workers’ compensation is a system of compulsory no-fault mutual insurance administered by the state.
Its origins go back to 19thcentury Germany, whence it spread to many other countries, including the United Kingdom and the United States. In Canada, the historyof workers’ compensation begins with the report of the Honourable Sir William Ralph Meredith, one-time Chief Justice of Ontario, whoin 1910 was appointed to study systems of workers’ compensation around the world and recommend a scheme for Ontario. He proposedcompensating injured workers through an accident fund collected from industry and under the management of the state. His proposal wasadopted by Ontario in 1914. The other provinces soon followed suit.
Saskatchewan enacted The Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1929,S.S. 1928-29, c. 73, in 1929. Sir William Meredith also proposed what has since become known as the “historic trade-off” by which workers lost their cause of actionagainst their employers but gained compensation that depends neither on the fault of the employer nor its ability to pay. Similarly,employers were forced to contribute to a mandatory insurance scheme, but gained freedom from potentially crippling liability. Initially inOntario, only the employer of the worker who was injured was granted immunity from suit.
The Act was amended one year after itspassage to provide that injured
Schedule 1 workers could not sue [any]
Schedule 1 employer. This amendment was likely designed toaccount for the multi-employer workplace, where employees of several employers work together. The importance of the historic trade-off has been recognized by the courts. In Reference re Validity of Sections 32 and 34 of the Workers’Compensation Act, 1983 (1987), (NL CA), 44 D.L.R. (4th) 501 (Nfld.
C.A.), Goodridge C.J. compared the advantagesof workers’ compensation against its principal disadvantage: benefits that are paid immediately, whether or not the employer is solvent,and without the costs and uncertainties inherent in the tort system; however, there may be some who would recover more from a tortaction than they would under the Act.
Goodridge C.J. concluded at p. 524: While there may be those who would receive less under the Act than otherwise, when the structure is viewed in total, this is but anegative feature of an otherwise positive plan and does not warrant the condemnation of the legislation that makes it possible.
I would add that this so-called negative feature is a [necessary] feature. The bar to actions against employers is central to the workers’compensation scheme as Meredith conceived of it: it is the other half of the trade-off. It would be unfair to allow actions to proceedagainst employers where there was a chance of the injured worker’s obtaining greater compensation, and yet still to force employers tocontribute to a no-fault insurance scheme. Montgomery J. also commented on the purposes of workers compensation in Medwid v. Ontario (1988), (ON SC), 48D.L.R. (4th) 272 (Ont. H.C.). He stated at p. 279 that the scheme is based on four fundamental principles:
a) compensation paid to injured workers without regard to fault;
b) injured workers should enjoy security of payment;
c) administration of the compensation schemes and adjudication of claims handled by an independent commission, and
d) compensation to injured workers provided quickly without court proceedings. I would note that these four principles are interconnected. For instance, security of payment is assured by the existence of an injury fundthat is maintained through contributions from employers and administered by an independent commission, the Workers’ CompensationBoard. The principle of quick compensation without the need for court proceedings similarly depends upon the fund and the adjudicationof claims by the Board.
The principle of no-fault recovery assists the goal of speedy compensation by reducing the number issues thatmust be adjudicated. The bar to actions is not ancillary to this scheme but central to it. If there were no bar, then the integrity of thesystem would be compromised as employers sought to have their industries exempted from the requirement of paying premiums towardan insurance system that did not, in fact, provide then with any insurance. [pp. 907-910] [Emphasis added.] [24] Moreover, s. 17 of the
Interpretation Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-13, requires “such fair, large andliberal construction and
interpretation as best ensures the attainment of the object” of the Act and s. 11(1), as described in the precedingparagraph. As well, when interpreting legislation that establishes a scheme for administrative action of any kind, it is important tointerpret the enabling provisions having in mind that the Legislature is presumed to have created “a coherent, consistent and harmoniousstatutory scheme”: R. v. Summers, 2014 SCC 26, [2014] 1 S.C.R. 575, at para. 59.
Finally, in this Province, both the French and theEnglish versions of a provision must be considered as they are equally authoritative (see s. 10 of the Official Languages Act, S.N.B.2002, c. O-0.5, and Province of New Brunswick v. Grant Thornton, 2020 NBCA 18, [2020] N.B.J. No. 70 (QL), at para. 91). C.
The correct scope of the bar under s. 11(1) in favour of the employer [25] We begin by acknowledging s. 11(1) has no application where the employer in question isneither directly nor indirectly liable, and is called upon to answer in damages solely because of its ownership of the motor vehicle orconveyance involved in the accident and by application of an exception under s. 11(1.1). That was the case in Spellman v. Gulf Operatorswith respect to the owner of the loader, J. D.
Irving Ltd. [26] That said, as the Appeals Tribunal noted, the English version of s. 11(1) is arguably ambiguous,at least from a textual standpoint, regarding the application of the key phrase to the bar in favour of the employer. The ambiguity arisesfrom the commas that bookend the phrase. Those commas open the door, ever so slightly, to the argument that the phrase downsizes thescope of both the bar in favour of “any employer within the scope of this Part” and the one in favour of “any worker of that employer”.
Inour view, any ambiguity evaporates once all indicators of legislative intent are considered. [27] If the key phrase were to apply to the bar in favour of the employer, this would mean that thebar is only engaged in cases of vicarious liability for fault or negligence on the part of a worker. The employer, who might well be a“natural” person, would not be protected from other lawsuits, including those based on personal or direct liability. This would be anoutcome at odds with the history and object of the Act and, more specifically, the immunity under s. 11(1), as described in Pasiechnyk v.
Saskatchewan (Workers’ Compensation Board) . Indeed, it would also be disharmonious with the wording of s. 11(1). [ 28 ] Section 11(1) contemplates the application of the bar to instances of “negligence” on the part of the employer. Recall the latter part of s. 11(1) invests the Commission with discretion to direct any award of workers’ compensation benefits be charged to the class of the employer whose “negligence” caused the compensable injury or death. A fair, large and liberal
interpretation of the unqualified word “negligence” suggests it includes both direct and imputed negligence.
Given the presumption that a coherent, consistent and harmonious scheme was intended, if the s. 11(1) bar in favour of the employer were limited to cases of imputed negligence (through the doctrine of vicarious liability), the Legislature would not have seen fit to refer to employer “negligence”, without any limiting qualification, in the very provision that creates the bar. [ 29 ] Moreover, the French version of s. 11(1) does not lend itself to the understanding that the key phrase qualifies the otherwise textually unlimited employer-favoring bar.
Indeed, in the French version, there is no comma before the key phrase, a state of affairs conducive to an
interpretation that excludes any link between the phrase and the bar in favour of the employer. [ 30 ] As well, s. 11(1) applies “[i]n any case within
section 10 ” and, under that provision, a worker, who sustains a compensable injury and who is entitled to an action against someone other than his or her employer, may elect to prosecute an action instead of claiming workers’ compensation benefits. Where the worker has claimed such benefits, the Commission is subrogated to the worker’s rights and may maintain an action in its name or in the name of the worker. Importantly for our present purposes, where an action is brought, s. 10(12) comes into play. It reads as follows: 10
(12) Where an action is brought by a worker, his dependents or by the Commission, and one or more of the persons found to be at fault or negligent is the employer of the worker, or any other employer within the scope of this Part, or any worker of that employer in the course of his employment at the time of the happening of the accident, and subsection 11(1) or
section 12 applies, no damages, contributions or indemnity are recoverable for the portion of the loss or damage caused by the fault or negligence of that employer or worker, but the portion of the loss or damage caused by that fault or negligence shall be determined although that employer or worker is not a party to the action. 10
(12) Lorsqu’une action est intentée par un travailleur, par les personnes à sa charge ou par la Commission, et que l’une ou plusieurs des personnes déclarées être en défaut ou négligentes sont l’employeur du travailleur ou tout autre employeur rentrant dans le champ d’application de la présente
Partie ou tout travailleur de cet employeur au cours de son travail au moment de l’accident, et que le paragraphe 11(1) ou l’article 12 sont applicables, aucun dommage-intérêt, aucune contribution ni indemnité ne sont recouvrables pour la fraction de la perte ou du dommage causée par la faute ou la négligence de cet employeur ou ce travailleur, mais cette fraction de la perte ou du dommage causée par cette faute ou cette négligence doit être déterminée même si cet employeur ou ce travailleur n’est pas
partie à l’action. [ 31 ] As can be seen, s. 10(12) is thematically linked to s. 11(1). The former provides no damages, contributions or indemnity are recoverable for the portion of the loss or damage caused by the “fault or negligence” of an employer under
Part I. The quoted phrase indisputably embraces more than vicarious liability. On any reasonable view of the provision’s wording, the other phrase “in the course of his employment at the time of the accident” relates only to the at-fault or negligent worker.
That conclusion is also inescapable upon consideration of the French version. [ 32 ] Additionally, if the requirement under s. 11(1) that the wrongdoing worker be in the course of employment applied to the bar in favour of the employer, the statutory scheme would become disharmonious: s. 11(1) would not take away the plaintiff worker’s right of action in damages for direct or personal fault or negligence against the employer, but the worker could not recover any consequential damages from that employer.
In our view, ss. 10(12) and 11(1) are companion provisions that stand to be read in tandem, the former providing, inter alia , fallback protection in circumstances where an action based on the fault or negligence, direct or imputed, of an employer with s. 11(1) immunity was, for whatever reasons, allowed to proceed to trial. [ 33 ] Finally, other features of the statutory scheme also weigh against interpreting s. 11(1) narrowly to delineate the contours of the bar in favour of the employer.
While s. 10(12) insulates against court-ordered awards, it provides no relief for the employer against the often-prohibitive cost of litigation, despite that employer’s ongoing liability for contribution to the accident fund. Defining the employer-benefitting bar as applicable to both personal and imputed liability obviates “wasteful adjudicative costs in
deciding whether the alleged liability of each employer was personal or vicarious” (see Workers’ Compensation in Canada, at p. 164,footnote 12). The purpose of the s. 11(1) bar in favour of the employer includes immunity “from the costs of participation in civillitigation” (ibid, para. 8.1.18, at p. 171). [34] The employer-benefitting immunity under s. 11(1) is part of “the other half” of the historictrade-off that is embodied in the Act, and the associated bar is central to the statutory scheme (see Pasiechnyk v. Saskatchewan (Workers’Compensation Board).
Given those fundamental considerations and other features of the context detailed above, there is every reason togive effect to the plain and undiluted immunity prescribed by s. 11(1) for the benefit of any employer within the scope of
Part I: in anycase within s. 10, there is no right of action against such an employer by either another employer under
Part I or a worker of the last-mentioned employer. To be clear, where the plaintiff is a worker and the defendant is an employer, the employer-benefitting immunityunder s. 11(1) relates to any and all liability, no matter its basis in law, so long as the following conditions are met: (1) the plaintiff was a“worker” of an employer within the scope of
Part I; (2) the plaintiff “worker” sustained the harm at issue in the course of his or heremployment; (3) the defendant employer was a
Part I “employer” within the meaning of the Act; (4) the accident arose out of thedefendant employer’s “industry”, a term defined in s. 1 as “the whole or any part of any industry, operation, undertaking or employmentwithin the scope of [Part I]”; and (5) the exceptions identified in s. 11(1.1) are not in play. Those conditions are satisfied in this case. [35] A few closing observations. In Workers’ Compensation in Canada, at p. 165, footnote 13,Professor Ison suggests our Court’s decision in Crothers and Sussex Farm & Garden Ltd. v.
Martin and Ascon Limited and Workers’Compensation Board (1982), (NB CA), 44 N.B.R. (2d) 59, [1982] N.B.J. No. 392 (C.A.) (QL), is not bindingauthority for the proposition that s. 11(1) provides employer immunity only where a worker of the employer in question was responsiblefor the harm-causing event. We share that view. Crothers dealt with a scenario that pre-dated the adoption of the vehicular exceptions ins. 11(1.1), specifically a two-vehicle highway collision involving a truck owned by a corporate employer and driven, “as a favour”, bythe son of its vice-president.
There was no discussion in that case regarding the scope of the bar under s. 11(1) in favour of the corporateemployer, and the appeal was argued on another ground, namely whether the driver was a “worker” within the meaning of the Act. TheCourt found he was not and, given how the appeal was narrowly framed, determined there was no immunity in favour of either thecorporate employer or the driver. It appears neither the corporate employer nor the driver sought immunity for the former unlessimmunity could also be obtained for the latter. IV.
Conclusion [36] All prerequisites for the immunity provided by s. 11(1) of the Workers’ Compensation Act infavour of the respondent City are met. It follows, as the Appeals Tribunal correctly determined, the appellant’s right of action against theCity is barred. It is for this reason that we joined our colleague in dismissing the appeal promptly after hearing the parties. We would award costs of $1,500 payable by the appellant to the City. We would make no further order of costs. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par Les juges DRAPEAU et GREEN I. Introduction [1] Aux termes de l’art. 12 de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. W-13 (laLoi), les dispositions de la
partie I remplacent tous les droits de réclamation et de poursuites d’un travailleur contre son employeurrelativement à un accident pour lequel des prestations sont payables en application de cette partie. L’immunité établie par l’art. 12 estexplicite et globale. Toutefois, en l’espèce, l’action en dommages-intérêts sous-jacente, intentée parce que l’appelant a trébuché et faitune chute sur un trottoir municipal, vise un employeur auquel la
partie I s’applique, mais qui n’est pas l’employeur de l’appelant, ce quifait intervenir le par. 11(1).
[2] Le paragraphe 11(1) prévoit que, dans tous les cas où un travailleur d’un employeur entrant dans le champ d’application de la
partie I a le choix de réclamer des indemnités ou d’intenter une poursuite en dommages-intérêts, il n’a pas le droit de poursuivre un autre employeur rentrant dans le champ d’application de la
partie I ni un travailleur de « cet employeur lorsque les travailleurs des deux employeurs exerçaient leurs fonctions au moment de l’accident ». L’appelant soutient que l’immunité prévue par le par. 11(1) en faveur de l’employeur, The City of Fredericton en l’espèce, s’applique uniquement aux cas de responsabilité du fait d’autrui où le travailleur demandeur et le travailleur fautif exerçaient tous deux leurs fonctions au moment de l’accident.
En toute déférence, nous ne sommes pas de cet avis. [3] À notre avis, l’immunité établie en faveur de l’employeur par le par. 11(1) s’applique, sous réserve des exceptions précisées au par. 11(1.1), à toutes les formes de responsabilité, directe ou imputée, pourvu que la personne blessée soit un « travailleur » d’un employeur auquel la
partie I s’appliquait au moment de l’accident, que l’accident ait eu lieu pendant que ce travailleur exerçait ses fonctions, que le défendeur soit également un « employeur » auquel la
partie I s’applique et que la cause d’action se rapporte à l’« industrie » de ce dernier employeur. [4] Après avoir entendu les parties, la Cour a promptement rejeté l’appel en indiquant que les motifs suivraient. En un mot, l’essentiel de nos motifs est simplement que les conditions d’application de l’immunité prévue par le par. 11(1) en faveur de The City of Fredericton sont remplies. En conséquence, comme le Tribunal d’appel l’a décidé avec raison, les droits d’action de l’appelant contre la municipalité sont irrecevables. Nos motifs de décision sont expliqués à fond dans le texte ci-après. II.
Contexte [5] Le 12 juin 2012, George Barrett faisait son travail comme employé de S.A. Deliveries, une compagnie de livraison locale établie à Fredericton. Vers 9 h 43, M. Barrett faisait une livraison à une adresse municipale sur la rue King, à Fredericton. [6] M. Barrett a affirmé qu’en faisant sa livraison, il a trébuché et est tombé à cause d’une
section de trottoir inégale et a subi des blessures en conséquence. Il les a énumérées ainsi : lacérations et contusions à la bouche, perte de sept dents, douleurs et malaises à la bouche et à la mâchoire, et lésions aux tissus conjonctifs, entre autres. [7] Le 12 juin 2012, M.
Barrett a signé un rapport sur l’accident ou la maladie professionnelle, soit le formulaire 67, donnant ainsi avis à la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail qu’un accident avait eu lieu et amorçant le processus qui lui permettrait, en tant que travailleur blessé, de demander et de recevoir des prestations en vertu de la Loi . M.
Barrett a par la suite reçu ce qu’on a appelé des « prestations d’aide médicale » sous le régime d’indemnisation, mais, comme la Commission n’a reçu aucune preuve indiquant qu’il avait perdu du temps à son emploi, aucune prestation pour perte de gains ne lui a été versée. [8] Au moment de l’accident, S.A. Deliveries était un employeur inscrit sous le régime de la Loi . [9] Dans une lettre datée du 12 décembre 2012, la Commission a avisé M. Barrett qu’elle [TRADUCTION] « n’intentera pas de poursuite contre la ou les personnes qui pourraient être responsables de vos blessures ».
La lettre continue ainsi : [TRADUCTION] La Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail ne poussera pas cette affaire plus loin. La Commission vous rend le droit d’action. C’est à vous de décider si vous choisissez ou non d’introduire une action en justice pour votre propre compte. […] L’intérêt par subrogation de la Commission qui découle de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail demeure. Cela signifie que, si vous obtenez
un règlement amiable ou un jugement dans cette affaire, vous devrez rembourser à la Commission le coût des prestations au
titre de votre réclamation qui vous ont été payées ou qui ont été payées pour votre compte par la Commission ou que vous aurez le droit de recevoir dans l’avenir. […] Notre connaissance de la cause de votre accident et de vos blessures est limitée. En conséquence, nous ne savons pas si une poursuite en justice pourrait être irrecevable par effet de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail . [10] M. Barrett a introduit une poursuite contre The City of Fredericton le 7 juin 2013 en déposant un avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande. [11] Invoquant le par. 11(2) de la Loi , lequel prévoit que « [t]oute
partie à une action peut demander à la Commission de prendre une décision et une résolution sur les droits du demandeur de recevoir une indemnité en application de la présente
Partie ou de décider si le droit d’intenter l’action est supprimé par la présente
Partie », The City of Fredericton a présenté une telle demande à la Commission. L’unique question en litige était simple : le droit d’action de M. Barrett contre la municipalité était-il supprimé par effet des dispositions de la
partie I de la Loi ? [12] Dans le cours de la procédure normale, une décision sur la demande de la municipalité a été rendue par le bureau de l’avocat général de la Commission. En parvenant à sa décision, l’avocat général de la Commission a approfondi quatre questions centrales. Étant donné leur importance contextuelle dans la présente affaire, nous reproduisons ici les conclusions de l’avocat général sur chacune d’elles : [TRADUCTION] 1. Le demandeur était-il un travailleur au sens de la Loi ? À mon avis, la réponse est oui. L’intimé déclare être un employé de S.A.
Deliveries, et il m’a également fourni une copie de son formulaire 67, dans lequel il avise Travail sécuritaire NB de l’accident du travail et demande des prestations en tant que travailleur de cette compagnie. 2. Si oui, les blessures ont-elles été subies dans l’exercice de ses fonctions? Pour donner suite à la réponse à la question 1, à mon avis, la réponse à la question 2 est également affirmative. Selon les faits qui me sont présentés, les blessures de l’intimé ont été causées dans l’exercice de ses fonctions, pendant qu’il faisait une livraison au 515, rue King, à Fredericton, au Nouveau-Brunswick. 3.
La défenderesse est-elle un employeur au sens de la Loi ? À mon avis, la réponse à cette question est également affirmative. The City of Fredericton est un employeur inscrit sous le régime de la Loi , elle a des travailleurs et paie des cotisations sur les salaires de ces travailleurs. De ce fait, The City of Fredericton a toutes les obligations imposées et tous les avantages accordés à tout employeur inscrit au Nouveau-Brunswick sous le régime de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail . 4. Si la défenderesse est un employeur au sens de la Loi , la réclamation découle-t-elle d’actes ou d’omissions de la part de l’employeur ou d’employés de l’employeur qui participent directement ou indirectement à l’industrie ou à l’emploi auxquels est rattaché l’employeur ou le travailleur d’un tel employeur à l’origine de la blessure? La réponse à cette question, à mon avis, est également affirmative. La preuve qui m’est présentée indique que le trottoir délabré devant le
515, rue King, à Fredericton, était un bien municipal et faisait l’objet d’inspections et d’entretien par les travailleurs de The City of Fredericton. Il est allégué que ces travailleurs de The City of Fredericton ont été négligents et n’ont pas inspecté ou réparé le trottoir comme ils devaient le faire dans l’exercice de leurs fonctions. C’est l’état de délabrement du trottoir municipal au 515, rue King qui a causé les blessures de l’intimé. En conséquence, je conclus que les dispositions de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail du Nouveau-Brunswick sur l’immunité contre les poursuites, ainsi que la jurisprudence pertinente et applicable des tribunaux supérieurs du Canada, y compris la Cour suprême du Canada, ont pour effet de rendre irrecevable la poursuite en justice de l’intimé contre les défenderesses. [13] Vu la décision du 3 mai 2016 de l’avocat général, M. Barrett a exercé son droit d’appel et a saisi le Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail de l’affaire.
Le Tribunal a rendu sa décision le 12 février 2020; le président y a déclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] J’en viens à la même conclusion que l’avocat général de la Commission. Le paragraphe 11(1) ne prescrit pas qu’un travailleur d’un tiers employeur doit exercer ses fonctions au moment de l’accident. De plus, contrairement à l’assertion de l’appelant, la lettre du 12 décembre 2012 de la Commission n’a pas autorisé sa cause d’action, car elle n’a expressément adopté aucune position quant à savoir si l’action était irrecevable par application du par. 11(2). L’appel est rejeté. [14] M.
Barrett se tourne maintenant vers notre Cour dans l’espoir que nous lui accorderons [TRADUCTION] « l’autorisation de faire instruire sa poursuite à la Cour du Banc de la Reine ». III. Analyse et décision [15] Selon le paragraphe 21(12) de la
Loi sur la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et le Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail , L.N.-B. 1994, ch. W-14 , toute décision du Tribunal d’appel peut faire l’objet d’un appel devant notre Cour concernant des questions de droit. L’issue du présent appel dépend de la portée de l’immunité conférée par le par. 11(1) à The City of Fredericton en tant qu’« employeur » auquel la
partie I s’applique. Voici le libellé du par. 11(1) : 11
(1) In any case within
section 10 , no employer and no worker of an employer within the scope of this Part or dependent of that worker shall have a right of action against any employer within the scope of this Part or against any worker of that employer, where the workers of both employers were in the course of their employment at the time of the accident, but in any case where it appears to the satisfaction of the Commission that a worker of an employer in any class was injured or killed owing to the negligence of an employer or the worker of an employer in another class, the Commission may direct that the compensation awarded in that case shall be charged against the class to which the last mentioned employer belongs. [Emphasis added.] 11
(1) Dans tous les cas prévus à l’
article 10 , aucun employeur ni aucun travailleur d’un employeur entrant dans le champ d’application de la présente Partie, ni aucune personne à la charge du travailleur n’ont le droit de poursuivre un employeur rentrant dans le champ d’application de la présente
Partie ni un travailleur de cet employeur lorsque les travailleurs des deux employeurs exerçaient leurs fonctions au moment de l’accident, mais dans tous les cas où la Commission estime qu’un travailleur d’un employeur d’une catégorie quelconque a été blessé ou tué par suite de la négligence d’un employeur ou du travailleur d’un employeur d’une autre catégorie, la Commission peut ordonner que l’indemnité accordée dans ce cas soit imputable sur la catégorie à laquelle appartient l’employeur mentionné en dernier lieu. [Nous avons souligné.] [16] Il vaut la peine de remarquer que le par. 11(1) ne s’applique pas dans les cas où le travailleur est blessé ou tué lors d’un transport au cours de son emploi par quelque moyen que ce soit, relativement auquel l’assurance de la
responsabilité civile est obligatoire, ou à la suite d’un accident de véhicule à moteur (voir le par. 11(1.1) et Spellman c. Gulf Operators Ltd. et al. (1994), (NB CA), 143 R.N.-B. (2e) 382, [1994] A.N.-B. no 27 (C.A.) (QL)). De plus, parapplication du par. 11(2), la Commission a la compétence exclusive, sur demande de toute
partie à une action, de décider et dedéterminer si « le droit d’intenter l’action est supprimé » par la
partie I. [17] La question précise à trancher est celle de savoir si le membre de phrase « lorsque lestravailleurs des deux employeurs exerçaient leurs fonctions au moment de l’accident » (le membre de phrase clé) impose une limite àl’immunité d’un employeur contre les poursuites.
L’appel est fondé sur la théorie voulant que l’interdiction prévue par le par. 11(1)s’applique à la fois à l’employeur défendeur et au travailleur prétendu fautif de l’employeur seulement si la condition suivante estremplie : le travailleur blessé et le travailleur fautif exerçaient tous deux leurs fonctions respectives au moment de l’accident. Ainsi, àmoins que l’exigence de simultanéité ne soit satisfaite, l’interdiction en faveur non seulement du travailleur fautif, mais aussi del’employeur de ce travailleur ne s’appliquerait pas.
Chose intéressante, à divers moments des débats devant la Commission et devant leTribunal d’appel, la portée de l’exigence de simultanéité a été décrite en des termes qui limitaient l’interdiction aux cas où le travailleurfautif était physiquement présent sur les lieux de l’accident lorsqu’il s’est produit. [18] Sur demande faite par la municipalité en vertu du par. 11(2), la Commission a jugé que l’actionde l’appelant était irrecevable.
Le Tribunal d’appel a rejeté par la suite un appel de cette décision après avoir conclu que le membre dephrase clé ne s’appliquait pas à l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur qui est prévue au par. 11(1).
Nous souscrivons à cette décision,mais pour des motifs qui, à l’occasion, diffèrent de ceux formulés par le Tribunal d’appel, les approfondissent ou les complètent.Puisqu’aucun travailleur de la municipalité n’est un défendeur dans l’action sous-jacente, il nous est loisible de trancher l’appel sansdéterminer le sens précis du membre de phrase clé, lequel a été décrit comme une [TRADUCTION] « erreur de rédaction » (voir Terence G. Ison, Workers’ Compensation in Canada, 2e éd. (Toronto : Butterworths, 1989), à la p. 164).
Quand la Cour sera appelée à répondre àcette question, les parties feraient bien de tenir compte du libellé particulier de la Loi en cherchant à l’interpréter à l’aide des ouvrages deréférence, y compris Workers’ Compensation in Canada et l’ouvrage de Garth Dee, Nick McCombie et Gary Newhouse intituléWorkers’ Compensation in Ontario (Toronto et Vancouver : Butterworths, 1987), et de décisions telles que Meyer c. WayconInternational Trucks Ltd.; McDermott (next friend of) c. Waycon International Trucks Ltd., [1986] O.J. No. 511 (C.A.) (QL).
Lesdifférences dans le libellé de la Loi et celui de la législation d’autres ressorts sur l’indemnisation des travailleurs peuvent êtreimportantes ou sans conséquence. Dans les motifs qu’il a donnés au nom de la Cour dans l’arrêt Spellman c. Gulf Operators Ltd. et al., lejuge Hoyt, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, a fait la mise en garde suivante : [TRADUCTION]L’interprétation de certaines dispositions de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail n’est pas toujours facile. Cette Loi est un ensembledisparate de modifications. Le texte diffère souvent, parfois très légèrement, de celui des lois semblables adoptées dans d’autresprovinces. Aussi les décisions prononcées dans ces provinces doivent-elles être examinées soigneusement pour vérifier si elless’appliquent chez nous. [par. 21] A. La norme de contrôle [19] L’appel soulève une question de droit : l’interprétation correcte de la Loi. La norme de contrôleapplicable est donc celle de la décision correcte.
Notre Cour l’a affirmé il y a au moins un demi-siècle, et elle s’en est tenue constammentà cette règle. On trouve une recension des décisions pertinentes avant l’an 2000 dans l’arrêt Gallant c. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission (N.B.) (2000), (NB CA), 228 R.N.-B. (2e) 98, [2000] A.N.-B. no 320 (QL) : [TRADUCTION] […] le sens des mots employés dans la Loi est une question de droit. Voir l’arrêt Lanteigne c.
Workmen’s Compensation Board (N.B.)(1973), (NB CA), 7 N.B.R.(2d) 36 (C.A.), au par. 11, qui portait sur le sens de l’expression « personne à charge »employée dans la Loi, l’arrêt Crothers and Sussex Farm & Garden Ltd. c. Martin and Ascon Ltd. and Workers’ Compensation Board(N.B.) (1982), 44 N.B.R.(2d); 116 A.P.R. 59 (C.A.), qui portait sur le sens des mots « employeur » et « ouvrier » employés à l’article 1de la Loi, et les arrêts Boissonneault c.
Workmen’s Compensation Board (N.B.) (1977), (NB CA), 18 N.B.R.(2d) 621;26 A.P.R. 621 (C.A.), confirmé (1977) 18 N.R. 540; 19 N.B.R.(2d) 539; 30 A.P.R. 539 (C.S.C.), et Kinney c. Workmen’s CompensationBoard (N.B.) (1972), (NB CA), 4 N.B.R.(2d) 705 (C.A.), confirmé (1973), (NB CA), 5 N.B.R.(2d)784 (C.S.C.), qui portaient sur le sens de l’expression « du fait et au cours d’un emploi » employée dans la Loi.
Le sens de l’expression« l’impôt sur le revenu… qu’il doit payer… du fait de ces gains [moyens] » que l’on trouve dans la définition de « salaire net moyen »au paragraphe 38.1(1) de la Loi est une question de droit. [par. 12] Voir aussi les arrêts VSL Canada Ltée c. Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et Duguay et autres, 2011 NBCA 76, 376 R.N.-B. (2e) 292, Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail c. St-Onge, 2018 NBCA 53, [2018] A.N.-B. no 198 (QL), Perry c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et autre, 2018 NBCA 80, [2018] A.N.-B. no 291 (QL), et Longphee c. Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail, 2020 NBCA 45, [2020] A.N.-B. no 157 (QL), au par. 18. Chose importante, le bien-fondé de
cette démarche traditionnelle de notre Cour a été confirmé récemment par la décision de la Cour suprême du Canada dans l’affaire Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration) c. Vavilov, 2019 CSC 65, [2019] A.C.S. no 65 (QL). B. Les principes d’interprétation législative [20] L’appelant soutient que la
partie du par. 11(1) qui établit l’interdiction devrait être interprétée defaçon étroite, puisqu’elle prétend éliminer un droit d’action en common law pour faute ou négligence ainsi que les dommages-intérêtsconnexes. Avec égards, nous rejetons cette assertion, pour les motifs suivants. [21] Dans l’arrêt Keddy c.
Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission (N.B.) et al., 2002 NBCA 24, 247 R.N.-B. (2e) 284, le juge Robertson, en son nom et au nom d’un collègue, a rejeté, dans une remarque incidente, ilfaut le reconnaître, et sans le bénéfice d’arguments sur ce point, la même prétention interprétative qui est avancée en l’espèce parl’appelant, à savoir que le par. 11(1) devrait être interprété de façon étroite parce qu’il ne permet pas aux tribunaux de rendre unedécision sur un droit d’action en common law : [TRADUCTION] […] je tiens à faire remarquer que l’appelante ne prétend pas que le paragraphe 11(1) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail devrait fairel’objet d’une interprétation étroite parce qu’il annule son droit d’intenter une action en responsabilité civile délictuelle en common law.Ce genre d’argument va à l’encontre de l’essence de chaque régime d’indemnisation sans égard à la faute et de l’article 17 de la Loid’interprétation, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-13. Cet
article prescrit que tout texte doit faire l’objet de l’« interprétation large, juste et libérale »la plus propre à assurer la réalisation de l’objet de la loi ou de ses dispositions. […] [par. 78] Après avoir examiné les plaidoiries approfondies des parties sur les grands principes d’interprétation législative, nous souscrivons sanshésiter à l’opinion du juge Robertson. [22] À notre avis, le par. 11(1) doit être interprété conformément au cadre adopté dans l’arrêt Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 R.C.S. 27, [1998] A.C.S. no 2 (QL) : Bien que l’interprétation législative ait fait couler beaucoup d’encre (voir par ex. Ruth Sullivan, Statutory
Interpretation (1997); Ruth Sullivan, Driedger on the Construction of Statutes (3e éd. 1994) (ci-après « Construction of Statutes »); Pierre-André Côté, Interprétation des lois (2e éd. 1990)), Elmer Driedger dans son ouvrage intitulé Construction of Statutes (2e éd. 1983) résume le mieux laméthode que je privilégie. Il reconnaît que l’interprétation législative ne peut pas être fondée sur le seul libellé du texte de loi.
À la p. 87,il dit : [traduction] Aujourd’hui il n’y a qu’un seul principe ou solution : il faut lire les termes d’une loi dans leur contexte global en suivant lesens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec l’esprit de la loi, l’objet de la loi et l’intention du législateur. [par. 21] [23] Il est bien connu que le contexte est toujours essentiel pour déterminer le sens correct d’unedisposition. Aux fins d’interprétation, le contexte inclut le libellé de la disposition législative particulière en question et des dispositionsconnexes, ainsi que l’historique, le régime et l’objet du texte de loi.
Sur ce dernier point, nous ne pouvons rien faire de mieux que derépéter les observations faites à ce sujet dans l’arrêt Pasiechnyk c. Saskatchewan (Workers’ Compensation Board), (SCC), [1997] 2 R.C.S. 890, [1997] A.C.S. no 74 (QL) : L’historique et l’objet de l’indemnisation des accidents du travail étayent la proposition selon laquelle la Commission avait, en l’espèce,compétence exclusive pour trancher la question de savoir si l’interdiction de la Loi s’applique, parce que cette question est intimementliée à l’un des aspects du compromis historique incorporé dans le régime.
L’indemnisation des accidents du travail est un régime d’assurance mutuelle obligatoire sans égard à la responsabilité, qui est administré par l’État. Son origine remonte à l’Allemagne du XIXe siècle, d’où elle s’est étendue à de nombreux autres pays, dont le Royaume-Uni etles États-Unis. Au Canada, l’historique de l’indemnisation des accidents du travail commence par le rapport présenté par sir WilliamRalph Meredith, ancien juge en chef de l’Ontario, qui, en 1910, s’est vu confier le mandat d’étudier les régimes d’indemnisation des
accidents du travail dans le monde et de recommander un régime pour l’Ontario. Il a proposé d’indemniser les travailleurs blessés aumoyen d’une caisse des accidents gérée par l’État, dont les fonds seraient perçus auprès de l’industrie. Sa proposition a été adoptée parl’Ontario en 1914. Les autres provinces ont suivi peu après. La Saskatchewan a adopté sa Workmen’s Compensation Act, 1929, S.S.1928-29, ch. 73, en 1929.
Sir William Meredith a également proposé ce qu’on en est venu à appeler le « compromis historique » aux termes duquel les travailleursperdraient leur cause d’action contre leur employeur, mais obtiendraient une indemnité qui ne dépendrait ni de la responsabilité del’employeur ni de sa capacité de payer. De même, les employeurs étaient tenus de contribuer à un régime d’assurance obligatoire, maisils échappaient à une responsabilité potentiellement écrasante. Au début en Ontario, seul l’employeur du travailleur blessé jouissait del’immunité contre les poursuites judiciaires.
La Loi a été modifiée, un an après son adoption, de manière à prévoir que les travailleursblessés mentionnés à l’annexe 1 ne pourraient poursuivre en justice [aucun] des employeurs mentionnés à l’annexe 1. Cette modificationvisait vraisemblablement à tenir compte des lieux de travail où les employés de plusieurs employeurs travaillent ensemble. Les tribunaux ont reconnu l’importance de ce compromis historique.
Dans Reference re Validity of Sections 32 and 34 of the Workers’Compensation Act, 1983 (1987), (NL CA), 44 D.L.R. (4th) 501 (C.A.T.-N.), le juge en chef Goodridge a comparé lesavantages de l’indemnisation des accidents du travail à son principal désavantage: les prestations qui sont versées immédiatement, quel’employeur soit solvable ou non, et sans les frais et les incertitudes inhérents au régime de responsabilité civile délictuelle; toutefois,certains pourraient peut-être obtenir une indemnité plus élevée au moyen d’une action en responsabilité civile délictuelle qu’en vertu dela Loi.
Le juge en chef Goodridge conclut, à la p. 524 : [traduction] Bien qu’il puisse y avoir ceux qui recevraient moins en vertu de la Loi que d’une autre manière, quand on en considèrel’économie dans son ensemble, c’est seulement une caractéristique négative d’un régime par ailleurs positif et cela ne justifie pas decondamner la loi qui le rend possible. J’ajouterais que cette caractéristique soi-disant négative est une caractéristique [nécessaire].
L’interdiction des actions contre desemployeurs est d’une importance cruciale pour le régime d’indemnisation des accidents du travail conçu par Meredith: c’est l’autrerevers du compromis. Il serait injuste de permettre que des actions soient intentées contre des employeurs lorsqu’il existe une chance quele travailleur blessé obtienne une indemnité plus élevée, et, en même temps, de forcer les employeurs à contribuer à un régimed’assurance sans égard à la responsabilité.
Le juge Montgomery a également commenté les objets de l’indemnisation des accidents du travail dans la décision Medwid c.Ontario (1988), (ON SC), 48 D.L.R. (4th) 272 (H.C. Ont.). Il a affirmé, à la p. 279, que le régime repose sur quatreprincipes fondamentaux : [traduction]
a) l’indemnisation des travailleurs sans égard à la responsabilité;
b) les travailleurs blessés devraient jouir de la sécurité de paiement;
c) l’administration des régimes d’indemnisation et le traitement des demandes effectués par une commission indépendante;
d) l’indemnisation rapide des travailleurs blessés, sans poursuites judiciaires. Je souligne que ces quatre principes sont étroitement liés. Par exemple, la sécurité de paiement est assurée par l’existence d’une caissedes accidents maintenue au moyen des contributions des employeurs et gérée par une commission indépendante, la commission desaccidents du travail. Le principe de l’indemnisation rapide sans nécessité de recourir à des poursuites judiciaires dépend également de lacaisse et du traitement des demandes par la Commission.
Le principe du recouvrement sans égard à la responsabilité aide à réaliserl’objectif d’indemnisation rapide par la réduction du nombre de questions à trancher. L’interdiction de poursuivre en justice est non pasaccessoire à ce régime mais essentielle à celui-ci. En l’absence d’interdiction, l’intégrité du régime serait compromise, car lesemployeurs chercheraient à faire exempter leurs industries de l’obligation de verser des cotisations pour un régime d’assurance qui, enfait, ne leur offre aucune assurance. [p. 907 à 910] [Nous avons souligné.]
[24] De plus, l’art. 17 de la Loi d’interprétation , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-13, prescrit « l’interprétation large, juste et libérale, la plus propre à assurer la réalisation de [l’objet] » de la Loi et du par. 11(1), comme il est expliqué au paragraphe précédent. De plus, dans l’interprétation d’une loi qui établit un régime pour n’importe quel genre de mesure administrative, il est important d’interpréter les dispositions habilitantes en n’oubliant pas que le législateur est présumé avoir créé « un régime législatif cohérent, uniforme et harmonieux » : R. c.
Summers , 2014 CSC 26 , [2014] 1 R.C.S. 575 , au par. 59 . Enfin, dans notre province, les deux versions, française et anglaise, d’une disposition doivent être considérées comme ayant également force de loi (voir l’art. 10 de la
Loi sur les langues officielles , L.N.-B. 2002, ch. O-0.5 , et l’arrêt Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c. Grant Thornton , 2020 NBCA 18 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 70 (QL) , au par. 91 ). C.
La portée exacte de l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur prévue par le par. 11(1) [25] Pour commencer, nous reconnaissons que le par. 11(1) ne s’applique pas si l’employeur en question n’est responsable ni directement ni indirectement et est appelé à verser des dommages-intérêts uniquement parce qu’il est propriétaire du véhicule à moteur ou du moyen de transport impliqué dans l’accident et parce qu’une exception prévue au par. 11(1.1) s’applique. Tel a été le cas dans l’affaire Spellman c. Gulf Operators Ltd. et al. à l’égard de la propriétaire de la chargeuse, J.D.
Irving Limited. [26] Cela dit, comme le Tribunal d’appel l’a fait remarquer, la version anglaise du par. 11(1) peut être considérée comme ambiguë, du moins du point de vue textuel, quant à l’application du membre de phrase clé à l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur. L’ambiguïté est créée par l’emploi des virgules qui encadrent le membre de phrase. Ces virgules laissent une place, si petite soit-elle, à l’argument voulant que le membre de phrase restreigne la portée tant de l’interdiction en faveur d’« un employeur rentrant dans le champ d’application de la présente
Partie » que de l’interdiction en faveur d’« un travailleur de cet employeur ». À notre avis, toute ambiguïté se dissipe une fois considérés tous les indicateurs de l’intention du législateur. [27] Si le membre de phrase clé devait s’appliquer à l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur, cela signifierait que l’interdiction ne s’appliquerait qu’aux cas de responsabilité du fait d’autrui pour une faute ou une négligence commise par un travailleur.
L’employeur, qui pourrait bien être une personne physique, ne serait pas protégé contre les autres poursuites, y compris celles qui sont fondées sur une responsabilité personnelle ou directe. Ce résultat irait à l’encontre de l’historique et de l’objet de la Loi et, plus précisément, de l’immunité prévue par le par. 11(1) et décrite dans l’arrêt Pasiechnyk c. Saskatchewan (Workers’ Compensation Board) . En fait, il serait aussi incompatible avec le libellé du par. 11(1). [28] Le paragraphe 11(1) envisage l’application de l’interdiction aux cas de « négligence » de la part de l’employeur.
Je rappelle que la dernière
partie du par. 11(1) confère à la Commission le pouvoir discrétionnaire d’ordonner que toute indemnité accordée soit imputable sur la catégorie à laquelle appartient l’employeur dont la « négligence » a causé la lésion ou la mort indemnisable. Une interprétation large, juste et libérale du terme « négligence » non qualifié appelle l’inclusion de la négligence tant directe qu’imputée.
Étant donné que le législateur est présumé avoir voulu un régime cohérent, uniforme et harmonieux, si l’interdiction prévue au par. 11(1) en faveur de l’employeur se limitait aux cas de négligence imputée (selon la doctrine de la responsabilité du fait d’autrui), le législateur n’aurait pas trouvé à propos de parler de « négligence » de l’employeur, sans qualification restrictive, dans la disposition même qui établit l’interdiction. [29] De plus, la version française du par. 11(1) ne se prête pas à l’interprétation voulant que le membre de phrase clé qualifie l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur, textuellement illimitée par ailleurs.
De fait, dans la version française, il n’y a pas de virgule avant le membre de phrase clé, ce qui favorise une interprétation excluant tout lien entre le membre de phrase et l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur. [30] De plus, le par. 11(1) s’applique « [d]ans tous les cas prévus à l’article 10 », disposition selon laquelle un travailleur qui subit une lésion indemnisable et qui a le droit de poursuivre une personne autre que son employeur peut choisir d’intenter une poursuite au lieu de réclamer des indemnités des travailleurs.
Si le travailleur a réclamé de telles indemnités, la Commission est subrogée aux droits du travailleur et peut intenter une poursuite en son propre nom ou au nom du travailleur. Chose importante pour les fins de l’espèce, si une poursuite est intentée, le par. 10(12) entre en jeu. Voici le texte de cette disposition :
10(12) Where an action is brought by aworker, his dependents or by theCommission, and one or more of the personsfound to be at fault or negligent is theemployer of the worker, or any otheremployer within the scope of this Part, or anyworker of that employer in the course of hisemployment at the time of the happening ofthe accident, and subsection 11(1) or section12 applies, no damages, contributions orindemnity are recoverable for the portion ofthe loss or damage caused by the fault ornegligence of that employer or worker, butthe portion of the loss or damage caused bythat fault or negligence shall be determinedalthough that employer or worker is not aparty to the action. 10(12) Lorsqu’une action est intentée par untravailleur, par les personnes à sa charge oupar la Commission, et que l’une ou plusieursdes personnes déclarées être en défaut ounégligentes sont l’employeur du travailleurou tout autre employeur rentrant dans lechamp d’application de la présente
Partie outout travailleur de cet employeur au cours deson travail au moment de l’accident, et que leparagraphe 11(1) ou l’article 12 sontapplicables, aucun dommage-intérêt, aucunecontribution ni indemnité ne sontrecouvrables pour la fraction de la perte oudu dommage causée par la faute ou lanégligence de cet employeur ou ce travailleur,mais cette fraction de la perte ou dudommage causée par cette faute ou cettenégligence doit être déterminée même si cetemployeur ou ce travailleur n’est pas
partie àl’action. [31] Comme on peut le voir, l’objet du par. 10(12) se rattache à celui du par. 11(1). Le premierprévoit qu’aucuns dommages-intérêts ni aucune contribution ou indemnité ne sont recouvrables pour la fraction de la perte ou dudommage causée par la « faute ou la négligence » d’un employeur auquel la
partie I s’applique. Il est indiscutable que le membre dephrase cité a une portée plus large que la seule responsabilité du fait d’autrui. Selon toute interprétation raisonnable du libellé de ladisposition, l’autre membre de phrase, « au cours de son travail au moment de l’accident », vise uniquement le travailleur fautif ounégligent.
Cette conclusion est également inévitable si on examine la version anglaise. [32] De plus, si l’exigence du par. 11(1) voulant que le travailleur fautif exerce ses fonctionss’appliquait à l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur, le régime législatif deviendrait incompatible : le par. 11(1) n’enlèverait pas autravailleur demandeur son droit de poursuivre l’employeur en dommages-intérêts pour faute ou négligence directe ou personnelle, mais letravailleur ne pourrait pas recouvrer des dommages-intérêts connexes de cet employeur.
À notre avis, les par. 10(12) et 11(1) sont desdispositions complémentaires qui doivent être interprétées ensemble, la première prévoyant entre autres une protection supplémentairepour les cas où il serait permis, pour quelque raison que ce soit, d’instruire une action fondée sur la faute ou la négligence, directe ouimputée, d’un employeur bénéficiant de l’immunité prévue au par. 11(1). [33] Enfin, d’autres caractéristiques du régime législatif militent également contre une interprétationétroite du par. 11(1) qui tracerait des limites à l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur.
Le paragraphe 10(12), bien qu’il protège contre lesjugements de la Cour, n’offre aucun recours à l’employeur contre les coûts souvent prohibitifs des litiges, malgré l’obligationpermanente qu’il a de cotiser à la caisse des accidents.
La définition de l’interdiction en faveur de l’employeur comme étant applicable àla fois à la responsabilité personnelle et à la responsabilité imputée prévient [TRADUCTION] « le gaspillage de frais judiciaires engagéspour décider si la responsabilité présumée de chaque employeur était personnelle ou du fait d’autrui » (voir Workers’ Compensation inCanada, à la p. 164, note de bas de page 12). L’objet de l’interdiction prévue au par. 11(1) en faveur de l’employeur inclut l’immunité[TRADUCTION] « contre les frais de participation à des poursuites civiles » (ibid., au par. 8.1.18, à la p. 171). [34] L’immunité en faveur de l’employeur prévue par le par. 11(1) fait
partie de « l’autre revers » ducompromis historique qui est incorporé dans la Loi, et l’interdiction qui l’accompagne est essentielle au régime législatif (voirPasiechnyk c. Saskatchewan (Workers’ Compensation Board). Étant donné ces considérations fondamentales et d’autres caractéristiquesdu contexte expliqué ci-dessus, on a toutes les raisons de rendre effective l’immunité simple et non limitée prévue par le par. 11(1) enfaveur de tout employeur auquel la
partie I s’applique : dans tous les cas visés à l’art. 10, il n’existe aucun droit d’action contre un telemployeur, soit par un autre employeur auquel la
partie I s’applique, soit par un travailleur de ce dernier employeur. Pour le direclairement, si le demandeur est un travailleur et si le défendeur est un employeur, l’immunité en faveur de l’employeur prévue par lepar. 11(1) couvre toute responsabilité, quel que soit son fondement en droit, pourvu que les conditions suivantes soient remplies : 1) ledemandeur était un « travailleur » d’un employeur entrant dans le champ d’application de la
partie I; 2) le « travailleur » demandeur asubi le dommage litigieux dans l’exercice de ses fonctions; 3) l’employeur défendeur était un « employeur » entrant dans le champd’application de la
partie I; 4) l’accident a découlé de l’« industrie » de l’employeur défendeur, « industrie » étant un terme défini àl’art. 1 comme « tout ou
partie d’une industrie, d’une opération, d’une entreprise ou d’un emploi entrant dans le champ d’application dela [partie I]; et 5) les exceptions indiquées au par. 11(1.1) ne s’appliquent pas. Ces conditions sont remplies en l’espèce. [35] Terminons par quelques observations. Le professeur Ison, dans Workers’ Compensation inCanada, à la p. 165, note de bas de page 13, affirme que la décision de notre Cour dans l’affaire Crothers and Sussex Farm & Garden Ltd. c.
Martin and Ascon Limited and Workers’ Compensation Board (1982), (NB CA), 44 R.N.-B. (2e) 59, [1982] A.N.-B. no 392 (C.A.) (QL), n’a pas force de précédent pour ce qui est de la proposition voulant que le par. 11(1) assurel’immunité à l’employeur seulement si un travailleur de l’employeur en question était responsable de l’incident qui a causé le dommage.
Nous sommes du même avis. L’arrêt Crothers concernait un scénario antérieur à l’adoption des exceptions du par. 11(1.1) portant sur les véhicules, plus précisément une collision routière entre deux véhicules, dont l’un était un camion dont le propriétaire employeur était une société et qui était conduit, « pour rendre service », par le fils de son vice-président.
Dans cette affaire, on n’a pas débattu la portée de l’interdiction prévue par le par. 11(1) en faveur de la société employeuse, et l’appel a été débattu sur un autre moyen d’appel, soit la question de savoir si le conducteur était un « travailleur » au sens de la Loi . La Cour a conclu qu’il ne l’était pas et, étant donné que l’appel était formulé en termes étroits, elle a jugé qu’il n’y avait d’immunité ni en faveur de la société employeuse ni en faveur du conducteur.
Il semble que ni la société employeuse ni le conducteur n’a demandé l’immunité pour la société à moins que l’immunité ne puisse également être obtenue pour le conducteur. IV. Conclusion [36] Toutes les conditions préalables à l’immunité prévue par le par. 11(1) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail en faveur de la municipalité intimée sont remplies. Il s’ensuit, comme le Tribunal d’appel l’a déclaré avec raison, que le droit d’action de l’appelant contre la municipalité est irrecevable. C’est pour cette raison que nous nous sommes joints à notre collègue pour rejeter l’appel promptement après avoir entendu les parties. Nous sommes d’avis de condamner l’appelant à payer à la municipalité des dépens de 1 500 $. Nous n’adjugerions pas d’autres dépens.