2016 NBCA 36, 2016 NBCA 36
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK MARK FRANCIS TEAKLES APPELLANT 19-15-CA MARK FRANCIS TEAKLES APPELANT - and - - et - CATHERINE ELIZABETH DUBEE RESPONDENT CATHERINE ELIZABETH DUBEE INTIMÉE Teakles v. Dubee, 2016 NBCA 36 Teakles c.
Dubee, 2016 NBCA 36 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 7, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 7 octobre 2014 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: May 31, 2016 Judgment rendered: July 28, 2016 Appel entendu : le 31 mai 2016 Jugement rendu : le 28 juillet 2016
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: Mark Francis Teakles appeared in person Catherine Elizabeth Dubee appeared in person Motifs de jugement: l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Mark Francis Teakles a comparu en personne Catherine Elizabeth Dubee a comparu en personne THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I.
Introduction and Background [ 1 ] This appeal concerns an order rendered by a judge of the Court of Queens’s Bench, Family Division which required the appellant to discharge outstanding arrears of child support at a rate of $400 per month. [ 2 ] Mr. Teakles and Ms. Dubee resided together in a common law relationship for approximately nine years. They separated in January 2007. There were two children born during the term of their cohabitation, who are now aged seventeen and fifteen years respectively. Shortly following the separation, Ms.
Dubee filed a Notice of Application pursuant to the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2, in which she claimed an order for the custody of the children, access and visitation to Mr. Teakles, child support and a division of the assets they had accumulated during their cohabitation. [ 3 ] In 2009, an interim court order was issued which obligated Mr. Teakles to pay monthly child support in the amount of $442 pursuant to the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR-97/175 (the “ Guidelines ”), and which was based on his income at that time. Mr.
Teakles paid the court ordered child support; however, the parties later negotiated an arbitrary increase in the amount of child support to $600 monthly, ostensibly premised on the fact Mr. Teakles’ income had increased following the issuance of the interim court order.
[4] In September 2014, a hearing on the merits of the Notice of Application was scheduled, but was adjourned bythe judge, due to the fact Mr. Teakles had failed to provide the court with proof of his current income, nor had he produced a swornfinancial statement. On October 2, 2014, Mr. Teakles appeared with his sworn financial statement and his current pay stub was faxed tothe court by his employer. [5] During the second court appearance, counsel for Ms. Dubee presented the court with a detailed
summary ofthe child support payments Mr. Teakles had made for the previous three years, and she calculated the arrears of child supportoutstanding to January 1, 2011, to be $16,652. Mr. Teakles takes no issue with the amount of the child support arrears so calculated;however, before us, he suggested the arrears should not have been assessed on the basis he and Ms. Dubee had reached an oral agreementshe would not pursue the full amount of child support required by the Guidelines.
As has been stated on many occasions, child support isthe right of the child, and it cannot be extinguished or bargained away by a parent. See D.B.S. v. S.R.G.; L.J.W. v. T.A.R.; Henry v.Henry; Hiemstra v. Hiemstra, 2006 SCC 37, [2006] 2 S.C.R. 231, para. 104. I conclude the hearing judge was not bound by anagreement of that nature, in those circumstances. [6] Mr. Teakles does not raise the issue of the quantification of the arrears as a ground of appeal, so I declinefurther comment on this issue. Mr.
Teakles asserts, however, the hearing judge erred when he ordered the arrears to be discharged at therate of $400 monthly, on the basis he has re-married, his wife is a Chinese immigrant and is not able to work, and he has the soleresponsibility for her care and her financial needs. Mr. Teakles’ re-marriage pre-dated the hearing on October 2, 2014. His currentstatement of expenses and his monthly budget were before the court in Appendix IV to his financial statement. The hearing judgeconsidered Mr. Teakles’ income and expenses and concluded there was a monthly surplus of approximately $700.
It was on thisprincipled basis he made his order. [7] In F.M. v. T.H., 2016 NBCA 29, the issue of how the arrears of child support would be paid was remitted tothe hearing judge for the purpose of receiving updated financial information from the payor spouse. We concluded an order whichrequires a payor spouse to make monthly payments on outstanding arrears of child support, must not be arbitrary.
We observed theproper approach was to grant an adjournment to enable the payor parent to present evidence of his or her ability to pay, complete with asworn financial statement and proof of current income for this purpose (paras. 42-44). [8] In the case at bar, the adjournment was correctly granted by the hearing judge. Armed with Mr. Teakles’financial disclosure, the hearing judge exercised his discretion and crafted an order that would not interfere with Mr. Teakles’ ability tomeet his monthly expenses. I conclude the hearing judge did not err either in law, in fact or in mixed law or fact. Mr.
Teakles suggestedin his Statement of Relevant Facts and Issues, that the court order will cause him undue hardship. The issue of undue hardship was raisedas a ground of appeal, but it was not before the hearing judge. [9] In passing, I observe pursuant to s. 10 of the Guidelines the person who asserts the claim of undue hardship isrequired to provide the court with very specific mathematical calculations which are formulated in
Schedule II of the Guidelines. Oncethe court has conducted a comparative household standard of living test, it can exercise some discretion to deviate from the Table amountof child support in consideration of undue hardship, provided the test set out in the
Schedule has been met. Mr. Teakles did not properlyraise the claim of undue hardship with the hearing judge, so there is no finding, nor is there an order to appeal from in this regard. [10] In Butler v. Butler (1998), (NB CA), 195 N.B.R. (2d) 156, [1998] N.B.J. No. 75 (C.A.)(QL), the Court relied on Messier v. Delage, (SCC), [1983] 2 S.C.R. 401, [1983] S.C.J. No. 80, (QL), where ChouinardJ. made it clear that trial judges cannot disregard present factors submitted for consideration with respect to speculative or unforeseeableevents. This principle was re-iterated by the court in Vaughan v.
Vaughan, 2014 NBCA 6, 415 N.B.R. (2d) 286, in the context of futureretirement and spousal support orders. In other words, if Mr. Teakles’ financial situation changes in the future, and he is unable to work,or his income decreases as a result of unemployment, he has the right to return to the court of first instance by way of Notice of Motion.Mr. Teakles advised in his Submission he had been laid off; however, during the appearance before this Court he acknowledged he andMs. Dubee reached an agreement before another judge in the Judicial District of Saint John, the day before the appearance before us.
Ineed not address the issue further. [11] A careful reading of the hearing judge’s decision reveals he did not make an order with respect to unduehardship. I am satisfied the hearing judge had sufficient, and comprehensive financial disclosure to enable him to make an appropriateorder both with respect to prospective child support as well as to formulate an order on a principled basis with respect to the payment ofthe arrears of child support. II. Standard of Review
[12] This Court does not re-try cases. An appellant who may be dissatisfied with a court order or a decision mustsatisfy the conditions which permit appellate intervention. Those conditions, simply stated, require the appellant to establish the lowercourt erred in law, erred in the application of a principle of law, or the judge made a “palpable and overriding” error in the assessment ofthe evidence. [13] This standard was succinctly summarized by Quigg J.A. writing for the Court in Smith v.
Smith, 2011 NBCA66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208, when she stated : In family matters, trial judges’ decisions are given considerable deference. In MacDonald v. MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, [2011] N.B.J.No. 81 (QL), Larlee J.A. says: The standard of review that applies to family matters generally is that the judge’s decision must be given considerable deference. Anappellate court is empowered to set aside or vary a decision or order where it is the product of an error of law, an error in principle, asignificant misapprehension of the evidence or if it is clearly wrong (see Hickey v.
Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518,[1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL) para. 11; Van de Perre v. Edwards, 2001 SCC 60, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014; Savoie v. Levesque, 2009 NBCA 47,[2009] N.B.J. No. 282 (QL); Ms. P.H. v. Mr. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, [2008] N.B.J. No. 52 (QL); Milton v. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338N.B.R. (2d) 300, para. 14.; J.E.J. v. S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, [2007] N.B.J. No. 249 (QL), para. 35; S.H. v. V.B., 2007 NBCA 69, 321N.B.R. (2d) 314, para. 2). [para. 7] The standard of review in spousal support cases is discussed in Milton v.
Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 N.B.R. (2d) 300, where LarleeJ.A. stated: [...] In addition we will only interfere with a support order where there has been an error in principle, a significant misapprehension of theevidence, or the award is clearly wrong (see Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518, [1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL),at para. 11 and Pollock v. Rioux (2004), 278 N.B.R. (2d) 351, [2004] N.B.J. No. 467 (QL), 2004 NBCA 98, para. 27). [para. 14] [paras. 10-11] [14] The onus was on Mr. Teakles to establish he fits one of the criteria above. In Burke Estate v.
Royal & SunAlliance Insurance Co. of Canada, 2011 NBCA 98, 381 N.B.R. (2d) 81, Drapeau, C.J.N.B. states the following: […] This understanding of the law is in synch with the equally well-settled view that the party making an assertion carries the burden ofits proof (see Townsend-Grant v. Grant, 2011 NBCA 12, 369 N.B.R. (2d) 202 at para. 12, per Bell J.A.). [para. 66] [15] It is my conclusion Mr. Teakles has not met the onus he had to meet, the hearing judge did not err in law, nordid he apply an incorrect principle of law, his findings of fact were not challenged, and his decision is unassailable. III.
Disposition [16] I would dismiss the appeal. Ms. Dubee was self-represented. On the same basis as the Court’s decision inNewman v. Tibbetts, 2005 NBCA 37, 283 N.B.R. (2d) 63, I would make no order of costs.
___________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. WE CONCUR: ____________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. ____________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par La juge Baird I. Introduction et contexte [1] L’appel porte sur une ordonnance rendue par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, qui enjoignait à l’appelant de verser des mensualités de 400 $ pour le paiement de l’arriéré de la pension alimentaire pour enfants. [2] M. Teakles et M me Dubee ont vécu en union de fait pendant environ neuf ans.
Ils se sont séparés en janvier 2007. Deux enfants sont nés de leur union; le premier est maintenant âgé de dix-sept ans, alors que le second est maintenant âgé de quinze ans. Peu de temps après la séparation, M me Dubee a déposé, sous le régime de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2, un avis de requête dans lequel elle demandait une ordonnance de garde des enfants – avec un droit d’accès pour M. Teakles –, des aliments pour enfants et la répartition des biens qu’ils ont accumulés durant leur cohabitation. [3] En 2009, la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rendu une ordonnance provisoire obligeant M. Teakles à verser des aliments pour enfants de 442 $ par mois, conformément aux Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 (les « Lignes directrices »), d’après le revenu qu’il gagnait à l’époque. M.
Teakles a versé les aliments pour enfants prescrits par l’ordonnance judiciaire; toutefois, les parties ont par la suite négocié une augmentation arbitraire du montant des aliments pour enfants à 600 $ par mois, en raison apparemment de l’augmentation du revenu de M. Teakles après que la Cour a rendu l’ordonnance provisoire. [4] Une audience sur le fond de la requête avait été fixée en septembre 2014, mais le juge l’a reportée, puisque M. Teakles n’avait pas produit à la Cour du Banc de la Reine d’attestation récente de son revenu ni d’état financier fait
sous serment. Le 2 octobre 2014, M. Teakles a comparu avec son état financier fait sous serment, et son bordereau de paie le plus récenta été transmis par télécopieur à la Cour par son employeur. [5] Au cours de la seconde comparution en cour, l’avocate de Mme Dubee a présenté à la Cour unrésumé détaillé des aliments pour enfants versés par M. Teakles au cours des trois années précédentes, et, selon son calcul, l’arriéré des aliments pour enfants s’élevait à 16 652 $ au 1er janvier 2011. M.
Teakles ne conteste pas ce montant; toutefois, devant nous, il a fait valoir qu’il estimait que l’arriéré n’aurait pas dû être exigé du fait que Mme Dubee et lui étaient parvenus à une entente verbale selon laquelle Mme Dubee renonçait au montant intégral des aliments pour enfants prescrit par les Lignes directrices. Comme on l’a maintesfois souligné, le droit aux aliments appartient à l’enfant, et un parent ne peut y renoncer ou en être déchu (voir la décision D.B.S. c.S.R.G.; L.J.W. c. T.A.R.; Henry c. Henry; Hiemstra c. Hiemstra, 2006 CSC 37, [2006] 2 R.C.S. 231, par. 104).
Je suis d’avis que le jugesaisi de la motion n’était pas lié par une entente de cette nature, dans de telles circonstances. [6] M. Teakles ne soulève pas la question de la détermination du montant de l’arriéré commemoyen d’appel, alors je m’abstiendrai de tout commentaire sur cette question. M.
Teakles allègue, toutefois, que le juge saisi de lamotion a commis une erreur lorsqu’il lui a ordonné de verser des mensualités de 400 $ pour le paiement de l’arriéré des aliments pourenfants, étant donné qu’il s’est remarié, que sa femme est une immigrante chinoise et qu’elle n’est pas en mesure de travailler, que celle-ci est à sa charge et qu’elle dépend financièrement de lui. Le remariage de M. Teakles est antérieur à l’audience du 2 octobre 2014.L’état de ses dépenses actuelles et son budget mensuel figuraient à l’Annexe IV de son état financier présenté à la Cour.
Le juge saisi dela motion a examiné le revenu et les dépenses de M. Teakles et a conclu qu’il y avait un excédent mensuel d’environ 700 $. C’est sur cefondement qu’il a rendu son ordonnance. [7] Dans F.M. c. T.H., 2016 NBCA 29, la question de la façon dont l’arriéré alimentaire seraitacquitté a été renvoyée à la juge saisie de la motion aux fins de la réception de renseignements financiers à jour du conjoint débiteur.Nous avons conclu qu’une ordonnance prescrivant à un conjoint débiteur des mensualités de remboursement d’un arriéré alimentaire nedoit pas être arbitraire.
Nous avons également fait remarquer que la démarche appropriée est d’accorder un ajournement afin de donner lapossibilité au parent débiteur de produire une preuve faisant état de sa capacité de payer, accompagnée d’un état financier fait sousserment et d’une attestation récente de revenu à cette fin (par. 42 et 44). [8] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a ajourné l’audience à bon droit. Grâce auxrenseignements financiers communiqués par M. Teakles, le juge saisi de la motion a exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire et a rendu uneordonnance qui ne nuirait pas à la capacité de M.
Teakles de payer ses dépenses mensuelles. Je suis d’avis que le juge saisi de la motionn’a pas commis d’erreur de droit ou de fait ni d’erreur mixte de droit et de fait. M. Teakles laissait entendre dans son exposé des faitspertinents et des questions en litige que l’ordonnance judiciaire lui causera des difficultés excessives.
La question des difficultésexcessives a été invoquée comme moyen d’appel, mais elle n’a pas été soumise au juge saisi de la motion. [9] Soit dit en passant, je note que conformément à l’article 10 des Lignes directrices, la personnequi fait valoir en justice une demande pour difficultés excessives doit fournir à la Cour des calculs mathématiques très précis qui sontformulés à l’annexe II des Lignes directrices.
Une fois que la Cour a appliqué la méthode de comparaison des niveaux de vie desménages, elle peut exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire pour fixer un montant d’aliments différent de celui des tables des Lignesdirectrices afin de tenir compte des difficultés excessives, à condition de suivre la méthode de comparaison prévue à l’annexe.M. Teakles n’a pas convenablement soulevé sa demande pour difficultés excessives devant le juge saisi de la motion; par conséquent, lejuge n’a tiré aucune conclusion et n’a rendu aucune ordonnance à cet égard qui peut être portée en appel. [10] Dans l’arrêt Butler c.
Butler (1998), (NB CA), 195 R.N.-B. (2e) 156, [1998] A.N.-B. no 75 (C.A.) (QL), la Cour s’est fondée sur l’arrêt Messier c. Delage, (SCC), [1983] 2 R.C.S. 401, [1983] A.C.S. no 80, (QL), où le juge Chouinard a clairement précisé que les juges de procès ne peuvent pas faire abstraction desfacteurs actuels soumis à leur considération en ce qui concerne des événements hypothétiques et imprévisibles. La Cour a repris ce principe dans Vaughan c. Vaughan, 2014 NBCA 6, 415 R.N.-B. (2e) 286, dans le contexte d’une retraite future et d’ordonnancesalimentaires au profit de l’épouse.
Autrement dit, si la situation financière de M. Teakles devait changer dans l’avenir, et qu’il n’est pasapte à travailler, ou qu’il subit une baisse de revenu en raison du chômage, il a le droit de revenir devant le tribunal de première instancepar voie d’avis de motion. M. Teakles a indiqué dans son mémoire qu’il avait été licencié; toutefois, lors de sa comparution devant notre Cour, M. Teakles a reconnu que Mme Dubee et lui étaient parvenus à une entente devant un autre juge de la circonscription judiciaire deSaint-Jean, le jour précédant sa comparution devant notre Cour.
Je n’irai donc pas plus loin sur cette question. [11] Une lecture attentive de la décision du juge saisi de la motion révèle qu’il n’a pas rendud’ordonnance à l’égard des difficultés excessives. Je suis convaincue qu’il disposait de renseignements financiers suffisants, exhaustifsmême, pour être en mesure de rendre une ordonnance appropriée en ce qui concerne le soutien pour enfants pour l’avenir et de formulerune ordonnance fondée sur des principes en ce qui concerne le paiement des arriérés de soutien pour enfants.
II. Norme de contrôle [12] Notre Cour ne peut juger les affaires de nouveau. Un appelant mécontent d’une ordonnancejudiciaire ou d’une décision doit satisfaire aux conditions qui justifient l’intervention de la Cour d’appel. En termes simples, cesconditions nécessitent que l’appelant établisse que le tribunal inférieur a commis une erreur de droit, que ce tribunal a commis une erreurdans l’application d’un principe de droit ou que le juge a commis une erreur « manifeste et dominante » dans l’appréciation de la preuve. [13] La juge d’appel Quigg a succinctement résumé cette norme dans Smith c.
Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 208, où elle a dit, au nom de la Cour, ce qui suit : S’agissant d’affaires relevant du droit de la famille, il faut faire preuve d’une grande retenue à l’égard des décisions des juges de première instance. Dans MacDonald c. MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, [2011] A.N.-B. no 81 (QL), la juge d’appel Larlee affirme ce quisuit : La norme de contrôle qui s’applique généralement aux affaires familiales exige une grande retenue face à la décision du juge.
Untribunal d’appel a le pouvoir d’annuler ou de modifier une décision ou une ordonnance lorsqu’elle est le fruit d’une erreur de droit, d’uneerreur de principe, d’une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou si elle est manifestement erronée (voir Hickey c. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), par. 11, Van de Perre c. Edwards, 2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, Savoie c. Levesque, 2009 NBCA 47, [2009] A.N.-B. no 282 (QL), Mme P.H. c. M. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, [2008] A.N.-B. no 52 (QL), Milton c. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 R.N.-B. (2e) 300, par. 14, J.E.J. c.
S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, [2007] A.N.-B. no 249 (QL) par. 35, et S.H. c. V.B., 2007 NBCA 69, 321 R.N.-B. (2e) 314, par. 2). [Par. 7] La norme de contrôle applicable aux affaires de pension alimentaire au profit de l’époux a été abordée dans Milton c. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 R.N.-B. (2e) 300, où la juge Larlee a mentionné ce qui suit : […] De plus, nous ne modifierons une ordonnance alimentaire qu’en cas d’erreur de principe ou d’erreur significative dansl’interprétation de la preuve, ou encore si la décision est manifestement erronée (voir Hickey c.
Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), au par. 11, et J.P. c. R.R. (2004), 278 R.N.-B. (2e) 351, [2004] A.N.-B. no 467 (QL), 2004NBCA 98, par. 27). [Par. 14] [par. 10 et 11] [14] Il appartenait donc à M. Teakles d’établir qu’il répondait à l’un des critères précédemmentmentionnés. Dans sa décision Succession de Michael Burke et 1021256 Ontario Inc. c.
Royal & Sun Alliance du Canada, société d’assurance, 2011 NBCA 98, 381 R.N.-B. (2e) 81, le juge en chef Drapeau dit ce qui suit : [...] Cette interprétation du droit est également en harmonie avec l’opinion tout aussi bien établie selon laquelle il incombe à la
partie qui fait une assertion d’en apporter la preuve (voir Townsend-Grant c. Grant, 2011 NBCA 12, 369 340 R.N.-B. (2e) 202, au par. 12, motifsdu juge d’appel Bell). [par. 66] [15] Je conclus que M. Teakles ne s’est pas acquitté du fardeau qui lui incombait. Le juge saisi de lamotion n’a pas commis d’erreur de droit et n’a pas, non plus, appliqué un principe de droit erroné, ses conclusions de fait n’ont pas étécontestées et sa décision est inattaquable. III. Dispositif [16] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. Mme Dubee n’était pas représentée par un avocat.
En me fondant sur les mêmes motifs que ceux de la décision de notre Cour dans l’affaire Newman c. Tibbetts, 2005 NBCA 37, 283 R.N.-B. (2e) 63, je
n’accorderais aucuns dépens.