2020 NBCA 27, 2020 NBCA 27
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK N.C. and L.C. APPELLANTS 23-20-CA N.C. et L.C. APPELANTS - and - - et - THE MINISTER OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT RESPONDENT LA MINISTRE DU DÉVELOPPEMENT SOCIAL INTIMÉE N.C. and L.C. v. The Minister of Social Development, 2020 NBCA 27 N.C. et L.C. c.
La Ministre du développement social, 2020 NBCA 27 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: February 3, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 3 février 2020 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: April 23, 2020 Judgment rendered: April 30, 2020 Appel entendu : le 23 avril 2020 Jugement rendu : le 30 avril 2020 Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Maria M. Conroy and Peter R. Short For the respondent: Jason J. Caissie, Sarah M.M. Fitzpatrick Rachelle L. Standing Counsel for the child: Ben Reentovich Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Maria M. Conroy et Peter R. Short Pour l’intimée : Jason J. Caissie et Sarah Fitzpatrick Avocat de l’enfant : Ben Reentovich THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. Reasons for decision will follow. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. Les motifs de la décision suivront. COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK
N.C. and L.C. APPELLANTS 23-20-CA N.C. et L.C. APPELANTS - and - - et - THE MINISTER OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT RESPONDENT LA MINISTRE DU DÉVELOPPEMENT SOCIAL INTIMÉE N.C. and L.C. v. The Minister of Social Development, 2020 NBCA 27 N.C. et L.C. c.
La ministre du Développement social, 2020 NBCA 27 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: February 3, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 3 février 2020 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard and judgment rendered: April 23, 2020 Reasons delivered: September 10, 2020 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 23 avril 2020 Motifs déposés : le 10 septembre 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French
Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Maria M. Conroy and Peter R. Short For the respondent: Sarah M.M. Fitzpatrick and Rachelle L. Standing Counsel for the child: Ben Reentovich Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Maria M. Conroy et Peter R. Short Pour l’intimée : Sarah M.M. Fitzpatrick et Rachelle L. Standing Avocat de l’enfant : Ben Reentovich THE COURT The appeal was dismissed with reasons to follow. These are the reasons.
LA COUR L’appel a été rejeté, avec motifs à suivre. Voici les motifs. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] N.C. and L.C. applied to the Minister of Social Development to adopt a child who had been in their care, since birth, under a foster care agreement.
Once it was discovered L.C. had been convicted of a criminal offence, fraud, the Minister advised them they did not meet the criteria to be approved as “prospective adopting parents” under the Adoptive Applicant Regulation – Family Services Act ( Regulation 85-14). [ 2 ] The Minister is required to determine “ according to criteria established in this Part and in the regulations” whether an applicant for adoption is “suitable for consideration as a prospective adopting parent” ( s. 67(2) of Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 ).
One of the criteria prescribed in the Regulation is that “neither the applicant nor a member of the applicant’s household has been convicted of an offence under the Criminal Code set out in
Schedule A” (s. 3(1)(e.6)). Fraud (s. 380) is one of the specified offences. [ 3 ] The couple applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench for judicial review of the Minister’s decision. A judge dismissed their application and they appeal her decision to this Court.
[ 4 ] The appellants maintain the application judge erred in law by misinterpreting s. 3(1)(e.6) to be a mandatory condition, which, if not satisfied, bars the Minister from determining an applicant to be suitable under s. 67(2) . They also submit the judge erroneously concluded the best interests of the then 18-month-old child , including the acknowledged loving and strong bond between them, was not relevant to their application.
The appellants contend the intent of s. 67(2) is for the Minister to determine whether an applicant is suitable, after considering all the criteria set out in s. 3(1), and the best interests of the child must not only be considered as part of the determination but be the paramount consideration. [ 5 ] Alternatively, the appellants contend the Regulation is invalid, being ultra vires the authority of the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, on the basis that it conflicts with the dominant obligation under the Act to “put above all other circumstances the best interests of the child” (s. 71(1)).
Lastly, in view of what the appellants assert is an obvious gap in the legislation, they submit the court should have exercised its parens patriae jurisdiction and rendered a decision based on the best interests of the child. [ 6 ] The Minister acknowledges that, were it not for L.C.’s fraud conviction, the appellants’ application would have continued to proceed through the assessment process; however, she submits she had no choice but to simply notify the appellants they could not be determined to be suitable to adopt under s. 67(2).
The Minister maintains the Regulation establishes mandatory minimum criteria, which must be satisfied in order for it to be possible for her to determine an applicant to be suitable. The Minister’s position is that she has no discretion where the criteria are not met, and she has no authority to make an exception, as the appellants contend the Minister ought to have done based on the best interests of the child.
The Minister says notifying the appellants they did not meet the criteria was an administrative act; it was not a decision that involved the exercise of discretion on her part. [ 7 ] The appeal was dismissed with reasons to follow. These are the reasons. II. Context [ 8 ] When the child was born in August 2017, she suffered from drug addictions and was placed in the neonatal intensive care unit, where L.C. stayed with her until she was released from the hospital, into the appellants’ care, more than two weeks later. [ 9 ] The appellants had become foster parents earlier in 2017.
When they brought the child home from the hospital, they were foster parents to seven other children. [ 10 ] In late August 2017, L.C. was charged with criminal offences in relation to her position with a previous employer. The charges were not brought to the attention of the Minister. [ 11 ] In February 2018, the Minister obtained a guardianship order regarding the child and the appellants advised the child’s social worker of their desire to adopt her. Since the child has special needs, the application proceeded on the basis that the adoption, if approved, would be subsidized.
It appears matters did not proceed quickly, and, in October 2018, they were advised an assessment of their home would be undertaken. In January 2019, they were advised the assessment would commence in May 2019. [ 12 ] However, in January 2019, the Minister learned that L.C. pled guilty to fraud under $5,000 (s. 380).
In March, she received a 10-month intermittent sentence. [ 13 ] The Minister then advised the appellants that their foster home would be closed, and all the children in their care were removed immediately, except the then 18-month-old child, who was scheduled to be removed a few weeks later, following a brief transition to a new foster home. [ 14 ] The Minister also advised the appellants their application to adopt the child could not proceed further.
[ 15 ] On April 23, 2019, before the child’s transition to the new foster home was complete, the appellants filed a Notice of Application, seeking custody of the child, and a Notice of Motion, seeking an interim order that the child remain with them until the hearing of the application.
A judge issued the interim order requested. [ 16 ] The court also appointed counsel for the child, who filed a separate notice of motion seeking: That the Court find that the automatic exclusion of the Applicants as adoptive parents as per s. 3(1)(e.6) of the Adoptive Applicant Regulation - Family Services Act (the “ Regulation ”) is a violation of the child’s s. 7 right under the Charter, and that the appropriate remedy as per s. 24 (1) of the Charter is that s. 3(1) (e.6) of the Regulation be of no force and effect with respect to the Applicants’ adoption application. [ 17 ] The appellants filed an Amended Notice of Application, seeking judicial review of the Minister’s decisions to close their foster home and deny their request to adopt the child.
However, at the hearing of the application in December 2019, they abandoned all claims except for judicial review of the decision determining they were not suitable prospective adopting parents. [ 18 ] In her reasons for decision, the application judge addressed first the Minister’s position that the impugned decision simply reflected the fact the applicants did not satisfy the criteria established by that Regulation , it did not involve the exercise of discretion, and, as a consequence, it was not reviewable by the court.
The judge agreed, stating: Interpreted together, section 67(2) of the FSA and section 3(1) , criterion (e.6) and
Schedule A of the Regulation lead to only one conclusion: L.C. and N.C. were deemed unsuitable adoptive applicants following L.C.’s conviction and prior to their adoption of A. In my opinion the Minister was not at liberty to make any other decision. The act does not create any discretion. There is no legal authority for the Minister’s representative to make any exemption for an individual who commits an offence listed in
Schedule A. There is also no gap in the legislation, nor any apparent conflict between the FSA and its Regulation which would permit the exercise of any type of discretion. The Minister agrees that were it not for L.C.’s criminal conviction, she would have continued to move forward with the Applicants’ request to adopt A. The Applicants were seriously being considered as prospective adoptive parents…. Regrettably, prior to this assessment and the finalization of A’s adoption L.C. was convicted of fraud. My duty as a judge is to apply the law.
This may seem trite, but I say this because I am aware the result of my decision will impact a two-year-old child who is bonded and loves the Applicants as her “parents.” L.C. and N.C. deeply care for A and want to adopt her. The Minister does not deny the love and bond between A and the Applicants. The Minister had no alternative course of action considering section 67(2) of the FSA , section 3(1) , criteria (e.6) [sic] and
Schedule A of the Regulation . The relevant legislation and regulation are clear that once a person is convicted of an offence enumerated at
Schedule A of the Regulation , they are not suitable to adopt a child. The Minister merely followed the law. The Minister did not have the discretion to “decide” any other remedy. I therefore conclude that the Minister’s determination is not reviewable . [paras. 21-24] [Emphasis added.] [ 19 ] The application judge decided it was not necessary to address the merits of the motion filed by counsel for the child. That decision has not been appealed. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 20 ] The grounds of appeal, as reflected in the appellants’ written and oral submissions, may be summarized as asserting the application judge erred by:
1. misinterpreting s. 67(2) of the Act and s. 3(1)(e.6) of the Regulation by concluding L.C.’s conviction excluded the appellants fromconsideration as suitable adopting parents; 2. alternatively, failing to determine the Regulation is ultra vires the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, and 3. failing to exercise the court’s parens patriae jurisdiction and render a decision based on the best interests of the child sought to beadopted. IV. Analysis A.
Interpretation of s. 67(2) of the Act and s. 3(1)(e.6) of the Regulation [21] Principles applicable to statutory
interpretation were most recently summarized by this Court inAlexander v. Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Director of Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods, 2020 NBCA 55,[2020] N.B.J. No. 187 (QL). LeBlond JA, writing for the Court, said: The modern principle of statutory
interpretation was recently restated by this Court in Province of New Brunswick v. Grant Thornton,2020 NBCA 18, [2020] N.B.J. No. 70 (QL). At para. 90, Drapeau J.A. wrote that the meaning of a particular legislative provision “[…]stand[s] to be determined on its
interpretation in accordance with the contextual approach adopted in Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 27, [1998] S.C.J. No. 2 (QL). In that case, the Court agreed ‘the words of
an Act are to be read intheir entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the Act, the object of the Act, and theintention of Parliament’ (para. 21).” The interpretive approach is informed by the
Interpretation Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-13, notably s.17. 17. Every Act and regulationand every provision thereofshall be deemed remedial, andshall receive such fair, largeand liberal construction andinterpretation as best ensuresthe attainment of the object ofthe Act, regulation orprovision. 17. Toute loi, tout règlementet toute disposition de ceux-ci sont réputés réparateurs etdoivent faire l’objet del’interprétation large, juste etlibérale, la plus propre àassurer la réalisation de leursobjets. This principle has spawned what is commonly referred to as the purposive approach to statutory
interpretation. Professor Ruth Sullivan, in her text “Construction of Statutes,” 6th ed., (Markham, Ont.: LexisNexis, 2014), states the purposive approach is based on threepropositions: 1) the legislation is presumed to have a purpose; 2) that purpose must be taken into account in every case and at every stage of
interpretation; and 3)
interpretations which are consistent with or promote the purpose should be adopted (see p. 259). The purpose of the legislation can be inferred from the structure of the Act, the relationship among the provisions of the Act and whetherthey are grouped under specific parts. When they are grouped under a part, it signals they may be related to one another in someparticular way and that they have a shared object or common feature. Conversely, the placement of provisions elsewhere under a separatepart suggests the absence of such a relationship. The Act is indeed framed as such. An important principle of statutory
interpretation is that the Legislature did not intend for results that are inconsistent with the purpose ofthe Act. […] [paras. 6-9] [22] Subsections 67(1) and (2) of the Act, provide as follows:
Application for adoption 67
(1) Any person wishing to adopt a child, whether a specific child or not , may apply to the Minister or to a community social service agency approved under paragraph 3(1)(b.1). 67
(2) The Minister , or the community social service agency applied to under subsection (1), shall determine according to criteria established in this Part and in the regulations , whether the applicant is suitable for consideration as a prospective adopting parent and shall inform the applicant as to the determination. [Emphasis added.] Demande d’adoption 67
(1) Toute personne qui veut adopter un enfant, qu’il s’agisse d’un enfant en particulier ou non, peut en faire la demande au ministre ou à une agence de services sociaux communautaires agréée en application de l’alinéa 3(1)b.1). 67
(2) Le ministre ou l’agence de services sociaux communautaires qui reçoit une demande en application du paragraphe (1) décide, en se fondant sur les critères établis à la présente
partie et aux règlements , si le demandeur est digne d’être pris en considération comme adoptant possible et lui communique sa décision. [J’ ai souligné.] [ 23 ] Subsection 3(1) (e.6) of the Regulation is as follows (the full
section is attached to this decision as Appendix “A”): 3
(1) The criteria for approving an applicant as a prospective adopting parent for the purposes of subsection 67(2) of the Act are : (e.6) neither the applicant nor a member of the applicant’s household has been convicted of an offence under the Criminal Code (Canada) set out in
Schedule A ; [Emphasis added] 3
(1) Les critères pour l’agrément d’un demandeur à
titre d’adoptant possible aux fins du paragraphe 67(2) de la Loi sont les suivants: e.6) ni le demandeur ni aucun membre de son ménage n’ont été condamnés d’une infraction au Code criminel (Canada) énumérée à l’annexe A ; [J’ ai souligné.] [ 24 ]
Schedule A, specifying the criminal offences referenced in s. 3(1)(e.6), is attached to this decision (as Appendix “B”). [ 25 ] Both parties, naturally, submit the
interpretation they advance flows from a reading of the words of s. 67(2) and s. 3(1)(e.6) “in their entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme” and the object of the Act. [ 26 ] It is common ground the object of the Act , and in particular the object of the parts related to protective services of children (Part III), children in the care of the Minister (Part IV), adoption (Part
V) and foster home’s/community placement resources (Part II), is the protection of children, and the pursuit of their best interests. As this Court stated in L.P. v. Minister of Families and Children , 2019 NBCA 83 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 338 (QL) : The overarching consideration in child protection legislation across Canada is the “best interests of the child.” This accords with art. 3 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child , Can. T.S. 1992 No. 3, which requires it to be a “primary consideration” in all actions concerning children. [para. 12] [ 27 ] As noted, the appellants contend a plain reading of s. 67(2) does not indicate the criteria, or
even some of the criteria, are to be interpreted as mandatory minimum conditions, which, if not satisfied, exclude applicants and render the Minister’s obligation to “determine” suitability unnecessary. By providing that the Minister “ shall determine … whether the applicant is suitable ,” they maintain the legislative intent is for the Minister to assess all of the criteria, in a manner that treats the criteria as factors to be considered in the analysis.
To do otherwise, they contend, would relieve the Minister of the s. 67(2) obligation to determinate suitability and preclude a case specific determination of the child’s best interests, in response to an application. [ 28 ] The appellants’ interpretive position is grounded in two further submissions. First, they argue that, had the intent been to establish minimum requirements for consideration as prospective adopting parents, as the Minister contends, the Legislature would have used language similar to that used in relation to the approval of foster homes.
Second, they maintain interpreting the criteria as minimum requirements to consideration is inconsistent with the Minister’s statutory obligation to make all such decisions by putting first the best interests of the child, as provided in s. 71(1). [ 29 ] In relation to the first submission, the appellants point to s. 5 of the Children in Care Services Regulation – Family Services Act ( Regulation 91-170), which, in relation to the approval of foster homes (a child placement resource), evidenced a clear intention to require applicants to meet certain conditions and to exclude those who did not.
The conditions included not having been convicted of a criminal offence specified in the regulation. The offences that would preclude approval as a foster home/parent are virtually identical to the offences listed in
Schedule A to s. 3(1) (e.6) of the Regulation relating the adoption of children. [ 30 ] The approval of community placement resources (which includes foster homes) is addressed in s. 26(1) of the Act . It provides: 26
(1) The Minister shall approve community placement resources that meet the criteria and standards prescribed by the Minister or by regulation. [Emphasis added.] 26
(1) Le ministre agrée les centres de placement communautaire qui satisfont aux critères et aux normes qu’il a, ou que les règlements ont prescrits . [J’ ai souligné.] [ 31 ]
Section 5 of the Children in Care Services Regulation provides: 5 The Minister shall not issue an approval of a child placement resource unless each care provider in the child placement resource meets the following criteria and standards: (
a) the care provider has not been convicted of an offense under any
section of the Criminal Code (Canada) listed in
Schedule A… […] (
c) the care provider meets all other criteria and standards that the Minister may prescribe respecting the qualifications of a care provider. [Emphasis added.] 5 Le ministre ne peut agréer un centre de placement pour enfants que si chaque fournisseur de soins du centre de placement pour enfants satisfait aux critères et aux normes suivants :
a) le fournisseur de soins n’a pas été déclaré coupable d’une infraction prévue par tout
article du Code Criminel (Canada) dont la liste figure à l’Annexe A; […]
c) le fournisseur de soins satisfait à tous les autres critères et normes que le ministre peut prescrire relativement aux qualifications d’un fournisseur de soins. [J’ ai souligné.] [ 32 ] These provisions illustrate the type of language that could have been used to establish minimum conditions, or exclude applicants who do not meet certain criteria, a point that was well made by counsel for the appellants; however, as is explained above and acknowledged by the parties, the
interpretation of s. 67(2) and s. 3(1)(e.6) requires the provisions be read in their entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme and the object of the Act.
[ 33 ] The appellant’s second submission regarding the best interests of the child was a concern shared by counsel for the child; it was the focus of his motion and it was addressed in his submissions to this Court. As noted, the concern is that the
interpretation advanced by the Minister, and accepted by the application judge, automatically excludes applicants from being considered as prospective adopting parents without any opportunity for the Minister to factor in the best interests of the child sought to be adopted. The appellants submit such an
interpretation is inconsistent with the statutory obligation for the Minister to “put above all other circumstances” the best interests of the child, as required by s. 71(1). It provides: 71
(1) In placing a child for adoption the Minister or the parent shall put above all other circumstances the best interests of the child. 71
(1) Le ministre ou le parent doit, lorsqu’il place un enfant en vue de l’adoption, faire passer l’intérêt supérieur de celui-ci avant toutes autres considérations. [ 34 ] In relation to the
interpretation of the criteria and the best interests of the child, both parties refer to P.T. and S.T. v. The Department and Minister of Social Development for the Province of New Brunswick and J.M.N., 2011 NBQB 318 , 382 N.B.R. (2d) 95 . In this case, Walsh J. concluded the s. 3(1) criteria were minimum requirements to the Minister determining an applicant to be suitable under s. 67(2). As the appellants note, the issue before him was not whether the failure to satisfy one of the criteria would be fatal to an application and, arguably, to that extent, some of his observations in his decision are obiter.
However, the Minister submits Walsh J.’s conclusion that the criteria were minimum requirements for a favourable determination of suitability is significant since he reasoned such an
interpretation worked harmoniously with the Minister’s obligation under the Act to approve both the suitability of prospective adoptive parents and the placement of a specific child for adoption, based on the best interests of the child. He concluded that, even if the criteria were satisfied, the Minister nevertheless had an obligation to make both decisions by considering the best interests of the child. [ 35 ] P.T. involved the application of prospective adopting parents of an 11-month-old child, who had been placed with them for adoption two days after the child’s birth (with the consent of the birth mother).
They sought judicial review of the Minister’s subsequent determination that they were not suitable for the private adoption of the child. The Minister’s initial record check of the applicants had not included a search of the previous married name of one of the applicants; had it done so, it would have disclosed that the prospective mother’s daughter from a previous marriage had been a victim of sexual assault. Following the discovery of information regarding the assault, the Minister concluded the mother had failed both to protect her daughter and report that she had been abused.
It was on this basis the Minister determined the applicants were not suitable as prospective adopting parents. Additionally, after being advised by the Minister of the circumstances, the biological mother withdrew her consent to the adoption. Walsh J. concluded the policies followed by the Minister to arrive at her determination were not authorized by the Act or Regulation .
He also concluded there was no legal basis for finding that the prospective adoptive mother had failed to meet either of the two criteria specified by the Minister because of the delay in her disclosure of the abuse years before. [ 36 ] Walsh J. quashed the Minister’s decision and, since he remitted the matter back to the Minister for fresh consideration, he provided legal directions for the reconsideration, pursuant to Rule 69(7).
In doing so, he addressed the Minister’s determination of whether an applicant is a suitable prospective adopting parent and, in particular, his view the s. 3(1) criteria establish minimum requirements to the determination of suitability under s. 67(2). He said: In this contextual exercise the interpretative route must obviously be animated by the “best interests of the child”. The primary legislation is the FSA itself. I begin my
interpretation by accepting that the legislature did not intend for a gap to exist in the adoption assessment criteria. The legislature, by requiring in Section 71(1) that a child’s “best interests” be “put above all other considerations” in an adoption placement, intended that all circumstances be taken into account by the Minister, guided by the definition set out in
Section 1 . This conclusion drives the
interpretation of the criteria set out in the subordinate legislation, Regulation 85-14 . A provision of a regulation that cannot be interpretatively reconciled with its mother statute must give way (See: Carter Brothers Ltd. v. The Registrar of Motor Vehicles for the Province of New Brunswick , supra, at para. 2 ). In my opinion, there is no apparent conflict between the FSA and Regulation 85-14 , if the criteria set out in
Section 3 of the Regulation is interpreted as minimum criteria to be met by a prospective adoptive parent, rather than the only criteria to be met. Otherwise gaps might appear, i.e. a circumstance might exist that does not fit the criteria. If the specified criteria in the regulation were the only measure then a child might be at risk, not a situation envisioned by the Act .
This is all to say that, in any ministerial decision as to the suitability of prospective adoptive parents and as to the suitability of any placement, it is the “best interests” of the child that is the test, informed by all the circumstances. The criteria in the regulation are but the minimum threshold requirements in guide of the overall decision. This
interpretation, it seems to me, is also in accord with the
Interpretation Act , s. 17 … [paras. 75-77]
[37] In my opinion, the words of s. 3(1)(e.6) clearly indicate an intent to exclude an applicant foradoption who has been convicted of a specified offence. This is reinforced by reading the other criteria and considering s. 3(1) as awhole. First, it provides for the submission of a completed application. It sets out additional criteria, which, if not provided or satisfied,are undoubtedly intended to operate as a bar to determining an applicant to be a suitable prospective adopting parent.
For example, itrequires a home visit, the successful completion of training, the supply of medical or financial information and references from at leastthree unrelated persons. Although, some of the criteria might require the Minister to assess and decide if they have been satisfied, in mostcases there is no room to dispute whether a particular criterion has been satisfied. Further, contrary to the appellants’ submission that thecriteria must all be assessed collectively, as factors to be considered, s. 3(1)(
f) requires that “the applicant has met all the other criteriaset out in the Regulation.” [38] Interpreting the criteria as requirements is consistent with s. 67(2), and the scheme and object ofthe Act. [39] It is beyond dispute the Minister is obligated to consider the best interests of a child beforeplacing a child for adoption, or otherwise proceeding with a child’s adoption. However, it is important to recognize that what theappellants assert to be an
interpretation of the criteria that fails to give any consideration to the best interests of the child, is, the Ministercontends, a consequence of the application of minimum criteria established under the Act in the pursuit of the best interests of children tobe adopted. The difficulty identified by the appellants arises only where the criteria are not met. [40] Although the appellants challenge an
interpretation of the criteria that “automatically” excludesan applicant, they acknowledge the Legislature’s power to establish conditions to adoption, which it does by, for example, providing thatan applicant must be an adult (s. 66(1)). The Legislature has given the power to establish criteria, by regulation, to determine who aresuitable prospective adopting parents (s. 143(hh.1)). [41] Wooder J. commented on this authority in H.C. v. New Brunswick (Minister of Family andCommunity Services), 2003 NBQB 196, 263 N.B.R. (2d) 106.
In this case, the Minister had removed from a foster mother two childrenwho had been in her care for four years and placed them in another foster home. By application, the foster mother sought an orderrequiring the Minister to place the children with her for adoption. The foster mother applied for adoption before the Minister moved thechildren to the other foster home. The foster mother’s motion sought an order for the children to be returned to her pending thedisposition of her application.
The Minister’s position was that the children were the Minister’s responsibility and there was no basis torequire the Minister to return the children to the foster mother pending any type of proceeding, adoption or otherwise. [42] While Wooder J.’s reasons were focused on responding to the foster mother’s assertion thecourt should exercise its parens patriae jurisdiction, due to deficiencies in the legislation, she adopted the reasoning in Perteet v. BritishColumbia (Superintendent of Family and Child Service)), (BC CA), [1988] B.C.J.
No. 245 (C.A.) (QL), and made thefollowing observations regarding the Act providing a comprehensive and exclusive code relating to the custody of children in the care ofthe Minister: In my view, the same analysis and conclusion apply in the within case. The legislature has seen fit to enact a statute and to give to theMinister various powers and responsibilities, including the power to fix and apply criteria to determine who should act as fosterparents, to fix and apply criteria to select suitable adopting parents and to consent to the adoption of children in care as aconsequence of a guardianship order.
The Act establishes a comprehensive scheme which grants certain authority to, and imposes various obligations on, the Ministeralong with an absolute discretion to exercise her authority and discharge those duties. The issue of whether the Minister hasexercised her authority and discretion appropriately, for example, by meeting the duty to act bona fide, is not before this court.
The matter of judging the best interests of a child for whom the Minister is the parent, in the context of foster and adoptionplacements, has been given to the Minister. [Emphasis added.] [43] In my opinion, interpreting s. 3(1)(e.6) as a requirement that must be satisfied in order for anapplicant to be determined suitable under s. 67(2) is not inconsistent with an obligation under the Act to put the best interests of a child
first. It is worth noting that, in relation to a specific child sought to be adopted, the criteria require the applicant to demonstrate that his or her “motives for the prospective adoption are consistent with the best interests of the child to be adopted” ( s. 3(1) (e.7)).
Additionally, at the stage of placing a child for adoption with prospective adopting parents, who have often been, but not always, previously determined by the Minister to be suitable under s. 67(2), the Minister must put the best interests of the child above all other circumstances, as provided in s. 71(1). [ 44 ] It is not difficult to appreciate the angst caused in an individual case as a result of an application of the criteria for the determination of suitable prospective adopting parents.
However, this does not flow from the Legislature or the Lieutenant-Governor in Council establishing minimum conditions that disregard the best interests of children. Rather, it arises from the sense that the criteria, including the offences specified by
Schedule A, are too strict or exclusionary in the face of the acknowledged loving relationship between the child and the appellants. The criteria established by Regulation do not exclude the best interests of children, as the appellants contend; rather they embody the best interests of the child consistently with the scheme of the Act and the intention of the Legislature.
The best interests of the child infuse every stage in the adoption process under the Act and the criteria are established for the benefit and protection of children. [ 45 ] Indeed, it was not submitted that there can be no minimum requirements and it was acknowledged that precluding as prospective adopting parents those who, for example, have been convicted of crimes related to the abuse of children was clearly in the best interests of children.
The debate may arise in relation to other offences, but the Lieutenant- Governor in Council, in making the regulation in question, determined that precluding adoption by people found guilty of such offences was also in a child’s best interests. [ 46 ] It is no answer to say, in this case , it would be in the child’s best interests to be adopted by someone who fails to meet the criteria. That would merely be replacing the judgment made by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council about the best interests of a child with the judgment of the court.
In making a regulation without discretionary exceptions, the legislator must have been alive to the issue of hard cases like this one, and must have concluded that, on balance, the best interests of the child favoured excluding adoption by those convicted of fraud.
That I might have come to a different conclusion is no ground for saying the legislator is wrong. [ 47 ] In conclusion, I could not agree with the appellants that the application judge erred in her determination the Minister had no choice but to conclude she could not proceed with the appellants’ application once it was established they did not meet the criteria under s. 3(1) (e.6) of the Regulation . B. Regulation is ultra vires the Lieutenant-Governor in Council [ 48 ] The appellants maintain that, to the extent an
interpretation of the Regulation bars the consideration of the appellants due to the criminal conviction, the Regulation is ultra vires . [ 49 ]
Section 143 of the Act provides as follows: 143 The Lieutenant-Governor in Council may make regulations […] (hh.1) establishing criteria for the purposes of subsection 67(2); 143 Le lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil peut établir des règlements […] hh.1) établissant des critères pour l’application du paragraphe 67(2); [ 50 ] The appellants assert the Regulation and/or s. 3(1)(e.6) are ultra vires because they conflict with the statutory obligation to put the child’s best interest first, as required by s. 71(1). [ 51 ] There is no merit to this ground of appeal.
Section 71(1) refers to the Minister’s obligation when placing a child for adoption. Admittedly, the definition of “place” is broad and includes any act of solicitation or negotiation that can be construed as contributing to the transfer of a child (s. 1). However, as explained above, s. 3(1) (e.6) represents a specific criterion
established under s. 143 of the Act to protect the best interests of children to be adopted. The provisions are neither inconsistent nor incompatible. On the contrary, they are complementary and apply at different stages of the adoption process. C.
The court’s parens patriae jurisdiction [ 52 ] The appellants submit that, to the extent s. 3(1) (e.6) of the Regulation is interpreted to exclude consideration of the appellants from the adoption of the child, there is a gap in the legislation requiring the exercise of the court’s parens patriae jurisdiction to consider the best interests of the child. [ 53 ] This jurisdiction gives the court the ability to intervene in special circumstances, where there is a material gap in legislation, to protect children or those who are unable to care for themselves (see W.A. v.
Minister of Family and Community Services, 2002 NBCA 100 , 254 N.B.R. (2d) 153 , at para. 46 and J.M. v. I.L. 2020 NBCA 14 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 84 (QL) , at para. 39 ). The court has the ability to intervene to protect those who are unable to care for themselves when, in special circumstances, material gaps exist in legislation. [ 54 ] In reality, the alleged gap is simply the difference between the appellants’ view that they have been excluded as adopting parents without the Minister having considered the best interests of the child and the legal requirement of s. 3(1) (e.6) that excludes them from consideration.
That is not a gap in the Act . It is the result of its application in a manner that reflects its intention.
Section 64 provides that “[n]o adoption shall be made except in accordance with this part...” of the Act . V. Conclusion [ 55 ] It was for these reasons I joined with my colleagues in dismissing the appeal and would order the appellants pay costs of $1,500. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] N.C. et L.C. ont présenté une demande auprès de la ministre du Développement social pour adopter une enfant qu’ils ont prise en charge, depuis sa naissance, aux termes d’un contrat de placement en milieu d’accueil.
Une fois qu’il a été découvert que L.C. avait été déclarée coupable d’une infraction criminelle, en l’occurrence la fraude, la ministre les a avisés qu’ils ne satisfaisaient pas aux critères d’agrément à
titre d’« adoptants possibles » qui sont établis dans le Règlement sur les demandeurs en adoption –
Loi sur les services à la famille (Règlement 85-14). [2] La ministre doit décider, « en se fondant sur les critères établis à la présente
partie et aux règlements », si un demandeur est « digne d’être pris en considération comme adoptant possible » (par. 67(2) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille, L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2 ) . Un des critères établis dans le Règlement est que « ni le demandeur ni aucun membre de son ménage n’ont été condamnés d’une infraction au Code criminel énumérée à l’annexe A » (al. 3(1)e.6)). La fraude (art. 380) est l’une des infractions parmi celles qui y sont énumérées. [3] Le couple a saisi la Cour du Banc de la Reine d’une requête en révision de la décision de la ministre. Une juge a rejeté la requête du couple, lequel a interjeté appel de la décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine devant notre Cour.
[4] Les appelants soutiennent que la juge saisie de la requête a commis une erreur de droit dans son interprétation voulant que l’al. 3(1) e.6) soit une condition obligatoire qui, si elle n’est pas satisfaite, empêche la ministre de décider qu’un demandeur est digne au sens du par. 67(2). Ils soutiennent également que la juge a erronément conclu que l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant alors âgée de 18 mois y compris l’amour et les liens solides reconnus entre eux n’étaient pas pertinents pour ce qui est de leur requête.
Les appelants soutiennent que le par. 67(2) vise à permettre à la ministre de décider si un demandeur est digne, après examen de tous les critères établis au par. 3(1) , et l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant doit non seulement être pris en considération dans la décision, mais il doit constituer le critère prépondérant . [5] Subsidiairement, les appelants soutiennent que le Règlement est invalide du fait qu’il outrepasse la compétence du lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil, sur le fondement que le Règlement est incompatible avec l’obligation prédominante prévue par la Loi de « faire passer l’intérêt supérieur de [l’enfant] avant toutes autres considérations » (par. 71(1)).
Finalement, eu égard à la prétention des appelants selon laquelle il existe une lacune importante dans la législation, ils soutiennent que le tribunal aurait dû exercer sa compétence parens patriae et rendre une décision fondée sur l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. [6] La ministre reconnaît que, si ce n’était de la déclaration de culpabilité pour fraude de L.C., la requête des appelants aurait suivi son cours dans le processus d’évaluation; toutefois, elle soutient qu’elle n’avait d’autre choix que de simplement aviser les appelants qu’elle ne pourrait décider qu’ils sont dignes d’être pris en considération comme adoptants possibles ainsi que le prescrit le par. 67(2).
La ministre soutient que le Règlement établit des critères minimaux obligatoires qu’un demandeur doit satisfaire pour qu’elle puisse décider que ce dernier est digne. La ministre fait valoir qu’elle n’a aucun pouvoir discrétionnaire lorsque les critères ne sont pas satisfaits, et elle n’a aucune compétence pour faire une exception, contrairement à ce que les appelants soutiennent, soit qu’elle aurait dû faire une exception sur le fondement de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
La ministre mentionne que l’avis aux appelants les informant qu’ils ne satisfaisaient pas aux critères constituait un acte administratif; il ne s’agissait pas d’une décision nécessitant l’exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire de sa part. [7] L’appel a été rejeté, avec motifs à suivre. Voici les motifs. II.
Context e [8] À la naissance de l’enfant en août 2017, cette dernière souffrait de toxicomanie et elle a été placée dans une unité de soins intensifs néonatals, où L.C. est restée à ses côtés jusqu’à ce que l’enfant obtienne son congé de l’hôpital et soit prise en charge par les appelants, plus de deux semaines plus tard. [9] Les appelants étaient devenus des parents nourriciers au début de 2017.
Au moment où l’enfant a quitté l’hôpital et a été emmenée à la maison, ils étaient les parents nourriciers de sept autres enfants. [10] À la fin du mois d’août 2017, L.C. a été accusée d’infractions criminelles en relation avec ses fonctions auprès d’un ancien employeur. Les accusations n’ont pas été portées à la connaissance de la ministre . [11] Au mois de février 2018, la ministre a obtenu une ordonnance de tutelle concernant l’enfant et les appelants ont avisé le travailleur social de l’enfant de leur désir de l’adopter.
Puisque l’enfant a des besoins particuliers, la demande a été présentée en partant du principe que l’adoption, si elle était approuvée, serait subventionnée. Il semble que les choses ne se soient pas déroulées rapidement et, en octobre 2018, ils ont été informés de la tenue ultérieure d’une évaluation de leur foyer. En janvier 2019, ils ont été informés que l’évaluation commencerait en mai 2019. [12] Toutefois, en janvier 2019, la ministre a appris que L.C. avait plaidé coupable à une accusation de fraude de moins de 5 000 $ (art. 380).
En mars, elle a été condamnée à une peine discontinue de 10 mois. [13] La ministre a ensuite informé les appelants de la fermeture de leur foyer nourricier et du retrait immédiat de tous les enfants dont ils avaient la charge, à l’exception de l’enfant alors âgée de 18 mois, dont le retrait était prévu quelques semaines plus tard, après une brève transition vers un nouveau foyer d’accueil.
[14] La ministre a également informé les appelants que leur demande en adoption de l’enfant ne pouvait pas aller plus loin. [15] Le 23 avril 2019, avant la réalisation de la transition de l’enfant vers le nouveau foyer d’accueil, les appelants ont déposé un avis de requête sollicitant la garde de l’enfant et un avis de motion sollicitant une ordonnance provisoire pour que l’enfant reste avec eux jusqu’à l’audition de la requête. Un juge a rendu l’ordonnance provisoire sollicitée. [16] Le tribunal a également désigné un avocat de l’enfant et cet avocat a déposé un avis de motion distinct sollicitant : [TRADUCTION] Une conclusion de la Cour portant que l’exclusion automatique des demandeurs à
titre d’adoptants par application de l’al. 3(1)e.6) du Règlement sur les demandeurs en adoption –
Loi sur les services à la famille (le Règlement) constitue une violation du droit de l’enfant garanti par l’art. 7 de la Charte, et que la réparation appropriée au
titre du par. 24(1) de la Charte est de rendre l’ al. 3(1) e.6) du Règlement inopérant à l’égard de la demande d’adoption des demandeurs. [17] Les appelants ont déposé un avis de requête modifié sollicitant la révision des décisions de la ministre concernant la fermeture de leur foyer nourricier et le rejet de leur demande en adoption de l’enfant.
Toutefois, lors de l’audition de la requête en décembre 2019, ils ont renoncé à toutes leurs revendications sauf celle concernant la révision de la décision voulant qu’ils ne soient pas dignes d’être pris en considération comme adoptants possibles. [18] Dans ses motifs de décision, la juge saisie de la requête s’est d’abord penchée sur la position de la ministre selon laquelle la décision contestée ne faisait que refléter le fait que les demandeurs ne satisfaisaient pas aux critères établis dans le Règlement et ne concernait pas l’exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire et que, par conséquent, cette décision ne donnait pas lieu à une révision par le tribunal.
La juge a souscrit à cette position en disant ceci : [TRADUCTION] Interprétés ensemble, le par. 67(2) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille et le critère énoncé au par. 3(1)e.6) et l’annexe A du Règlement mènent à une seule conclusion : L.C. et N.C. ont été jugés ne pas être dignes d’être pris en considération comme demandeurs en adoption par suite de la déclaration de culpabilité de L.C. et avant l’adoption de A. À mon avis, il n’était pas loisible à la ministre de rendre une autre décision. La loi ne crée aucun pouvoir discrétionnaire. Le représentant de la ministre n’est pas légalement habilité à faire une exception pour un demandeur ayant commis une infraction visée à l’annexe A. De plus, il n’existe aucune lacune dans la législation ni contradiction apparente entre la
Loi sur les services à la famille et son Règlement rendant possible l’exercice d’un quelconque pouvoir discrétionnaire . La ministre convient que si ce n’était de la déclaration de culpabilité en matière criminelle de L.C., elle aurait continué à faire cheminer la demande des requérants en adoption de A. Les requérants étaient sérieusement considérés comme adoptants possibles […] Malheureusement, avant cette évaluation et la finalisation de l’adoption de A, L.C. a été déclarée coupable de fraude. Mon devoir en tant que juge est d’appliquer la loi.
Cela peut sembler un truisme, mais je le mentionne parce que je suis consciente que le résultat de ma décision aura une incidence sur une enfant de deux ans ayant tissé des liens avec les requérants et qui les aime comme ses « parents ». L.C. et N.C. sont profondément attachés à A et souhaitent l’adopter. La ministre ne nie pas l’amour et les liens entre A et les requérants. La ministre ne pouvait prendre d’autres mesures étant donné le par. 67(2) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , le critère énoncé au par. 3(1)e.6) et l’annexe A du Règlement. La législation et le règlement pertinents indiquent clairement qu’une fois qu’une personne est reconnue coupable d’une infraction énumérée à l’annexe A du Règlement, elle est inapte à adopter un enfant. La ministre a simplement suivi la loi. La ministre n’avait pas le pouvoir discrétionnaire de « décider » une autre réparation. Je conclus donc que la décision de la ministre ne donne pas lieu à une révision. [par. 21 à 24] [J’ai souligné.] [19] La juge saisie de la requête a décidé qu’il n’était pas nécessaire de se pencher sur le fond de la
motion déposée par l’avocat de l’enfant. Cette décision n’a pas fait l’objet d’un appel. III.
Moyens d’appel [20] Les moyens d’appel, comme en ont fait état les observations écrites et orales des appelants,peuvent se résumer en faisant valoir que la juge saisie de la requête a commis une erreur : 1. en faisant une mauvaise interprétation du par. 67(2) de la Loi et de l’al. 3(1)e.6) du Règlement lorsqu’elle a conclu que ladéclaration de culpabilité de L.C. a fait en sorte que les appelants ne soient pas dignes d’être pris en considération comme adoptants; 2. subsidiairement, en ne décidant pas que le Règlement outrepasse la compétence du lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil; 3. en n’exerçant pas sa compétence parens patriae pour rendre une décision fondée sur l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant visée par lademande en adoption.
IV. Analyse A. L’interprétation du par. 67(2) de la Loi et de l’al. 3(1)e.6) du Règlement [21] Les principes applicables à l’interprétation législative ont été résumés par notre Cour le plusrécemment dans Alexander c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le directeur chargé de la sécurité des communautés et des voisinages, 2020 NBCA 55, [2020] A.N.-B. no 187 (QL). Le juge d’appel LeBlond, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour, a dit ceci : Tout récemment, notre Cour a réitéré le principe moderne d’interprétation législative dans l’arrêt Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Grant Thornton, 2020 NBCA 18, [2020] A.N.-B. no 70 (QL). Au par. 90, le juge d’appel Drapeau écrit que le sens d’une dispositionlégislative donnée « […] doi[t] être détermin[é] en interprétant cette disposition conformément à la méthode contextuelle qui a été adoptée dans l’arrêt Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 R.C.S. 27, [1998] A.C.S. no 2 (QL). Dans cetteaffaire, la Cour a reconnu qu’“il faut lire les termes d’une loi dans leur contexte global en suivant le sens ordinaire et grammatical quis’harmonise avec l’esprit de la loi, l’objet de la loi et l’intention du législateur” (par. 21). »
La méthode d’interprétation s’inspire de laLoi d’interprétation, L.R.N-B. 1973, ch. I-13, notamment l’art. 17. 17. Every Act and regulationand every provision thereofshall be deemed remedial, andshall receive such fair, largeand liberal construction andinterpretation as best ensuresthe attainment of the object ofthe Act, regulation orprovision. 17. Toute loi, tout règlementet toute disposition de ceux-ci sont réputés réparateurs etdoivent faire l’objet del’interprétation large, juste etlibérale, la plus propre àassurer la réalisation de leursobjets.
Ce principe a donné lieu à ce que l’on appelle couramment la démarche téléologique en matière d’interprétation législative.
Dans son ouvrage intitulé Construction of Statutes, 6e éd., (Markham, Ont.: LexisNexis, 2014), la professeure Ruth Sullivan déclare que ladémarche téléologique se fonde sur les trois propositions suivantes : 1) la Loi en cause est présumée avoir un objectif; 2) cet objectif doit être pris en considération dans tous les cas et à toutes les étapes de l’interprétation; 3) les interprétations qui sont compatibles avec cet objectif ou qui en favorisent la réalisation devraient être adoptées (voir lap. 259).
L’objectif de la Loi peut être inféré de sa structure, des rapports qui existent entre ses dispositions et du regroupement de certaines dispositions dans des parties précises. Le regroupement de dispositions dans une
partie indique la possibilité qu’elles soient liées les unes aux autres d’une certaine manière et qu’elles aient un même objet ou une caractéristique commune. Inversement, le fait que des dispositions soient placées ailleurs dans une
partie distincte indique l’absence d’un tel lien. Effectivement, la Loi est ainsi rédigée. Selon un important principe d’interprétation législative, l’intention du législateur n’était pas d’aboutir à des résultats incompatibles avec l’objectif de la Loi . […] [par. 6 à 9] [22] Les paragraphes 67(1) et (2) de la Loi sont ainsi libellés : Application for adoption 67
(1) Any person wishing to adopt a child, whether a specific child or not , may apply to the Minister or to a community social service agency approved under paragraph 3(1)(b.1). 67
(2) The Minister , or the community social service agency applied to under subsection (1), shall determine according to criteria established in this Part and in the regulations , whether the applicant is suitable for consideration as a prospective adopting parent and shall inform the applicant as to the determination. [Emphasis added.] Demande d’adoption 67
(1) Toute personne qui veut adopter un enfant, qu’il s’agisse d’un enfant en particulier ou non , peut en faire la demande au ministre ou à une agence de services sociaux communautaires agréée en application de l’alinéa 3(1)b.1). 67
(2) Le ministre ou l’agence de services sociaux communautaires qui reçoit une demande en application du paragraphe (1) décide, en se fondant sur les critères établis à la présente
partie et aux règlements , si le demandeur est digne d’être pris en considération comme adoptant possible et lui communique sa décision. [J’ai souligné.] [23] L’ alinéa 3(1) e.6) du Règlement est ainsi libellé (la version intégrale est reproduite à l’annexe A de la présente décision) : 3
(1) The criteria for approving an applicant as a prospective adopting parent for the purposes of subsection 67(2) of the Act are : (e.6) neither the applicant nor a member of the applicant’s household has been convicted of an offence under the Criminal Code (Canada) set out in
Schedule A ; [Emphasis added] 3
(1) Les critères pour l’agrément d’un demandeur à
titre d’adoptant possible aux fins du paragraphe 67(2) de la Loi sont les suivants: e.6) ni le demandeur ni aucun membre de son ménage n’ont été condamnés d’une infraction au Code criminel (Canada) énumérée à l’annexe A ; [J’ai souligné.] [24] L’annexe A, qui précise les infractions criminelles mentionnées à l’al. 3(1)e.6), est reproduite à l’annexe B de la présente décision. [25] Il va de soi que chacune des deux parties fait valoir que l’interprétation qu’elle avance découle d’une lecture des termes du par. 67(2) et de l’al. 3(1)e.6) « dans leur contexte global en suivant le sens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec l’esprit » et l’objet de la Loi .
[26] Il est reconnu que l’objet de la Loi , et en particulier l’objet des parties relatives aux services de protection des enfants (partie III), aux enfants pris en charge par la ministre (partie IV), à l’adoption (partie
V) et aux foyers nourriciers ou aux centres de placement communautaire (partie II), est la protection des enfants et la poursuite de leur intérêt supérieur. Comme l’indique notre Cour dans L.P. c. La ministre des Familles et des Enfants , 2019 NBCA 83 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 338 (QL) : La principale considération dans la législation pancanadienne en matière de protection de l’enfant est l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ». Cette considération concorde avec l’art. 3 de la Convention relative aux droits de l’enfant des Nations-Unies, R.T.
Can. 1992 n o 3, qui prévoit la nécessité de faire de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant une « considération primordiale » dans toutes les décisions qui concernent les enfants . [par. 12] [27] Comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment, les appelants soutiennent que le sens ordinaire du par. 67(2) n’indique pas que les critères, ou même certains des critères, doivent être interprétés comme des conditions minimales obligatoires qui, si elles ne sont pas satisfaites, excluent les appelants et rendent inutile l’obligation de la ministre de « décider » s’ils sont dignes d’être pris en considération.
Les appelants soutiennent que, en prévoyant que la ministre « décide […] si le demandeur est digne d’être pris en considération », l’intention législative est que la ministre évalue tous les critères, et ce d’une manière qui traite les critères comme des facteurs à prendre en considération dans l’analyse.
Selon eux, agir autrement libérerait la ministre de l’obligation prévue à l’art. 67(2) de décider si le demandeur est digne d’être pris en considération et l’empêcherait de déterminer l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant dans une affaire particulière, en réponse à une demande. [28] La position des appelants pour ce qui est de l’interprétation est fondée sur deux autres prétentions.
Premièrement, ils soutiennent que si l’intention avait été d’établir des exigences minimales pour qu’une personne soit prise en considération comme adoptant possible, comme le soutient la ministre, le législateur aurait utilisé un libellé similaire à celui utilisé pour l’approbation des foyers nourriciers.
Deuxièmement, ils soutiennent que l’interprétation des critères comme des exigences minimales à prendre en considération est incompatible avec l’obligation légale de la ministre de prendre toutes ces décisions en faisant passer l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant en premier, comme le prévoit l’art. 71(1). [29] En ce qui concerne la première prétention, les appelants avancent qu’il ressort de l’art. 5 du Règlement sur les services aux enfants pris en charge –
Loi sur les services à la famille (Règlement 91-170), portant sur l’agrément des foyers nourriciers (un centre de placement pour enfants), une intention claire d’exiger des demandeurs qu’ils remplissent certaines conditions et d’exclure ceux qui ne les remplissent pas. Figure parmi ces conditions le fait de ne pas avoir été déclaré coupable d’une infraction criminelle indiquée dans le règlement.
Les infractions qui empêcheraient l’agrément en tant que foyer nourricier ou parent nourricier sont pratiquement identiques aux infractions prévues à l’annexe A de l’al. 3(1)e.6) du règlement relatif à l’adoption des enfants . [30] L’agrément de centres de placement pour enfants (dont les foyers nourriciers) est abordé au par. 26(1) de la Loi , qui est ainsi libellé : 26
(1) The Minister shall approve community placement resources that meet the criteria and standards prescribed by the Minister or by regulation. [Emphasis added.] 26
(1) Le ministre agrée les centres de placement communautaire qui satisfont aux critères et aux normes qu’il a, ou que les règlements ont prescrits . [J’ai souligné.] [31] L’article 5 du Règlement sur les services aux enfants pris en charge est ainsi libellé :
5 The Minister shall not issue an approvalof a child placement resource unless eachcare provider in the child placementresource meets the following criteria andstandards: (
a) the care provider has not beenconvicted of an offense under any
section ofthe Criminal Code (Canada) listed inSchedule A; […] (
c) the care provider meets all othercriteria and standards that the Minister mayprescribe respecting the qualifications of acare provider. [Emphasis added.] 5 Le ministre ne peut agréer un centre deplacement pour enfants que si chaquefournisseur de soins du centre de placementpour enfants satisfait aux critères et auxnormes suivants :
a) le fournisseur de soins n’a pas étédéclaré coupable d’une infraction prévue partout
article du Code Criminel (Canada) dontla liste figure à l’Annexe A; […]
c) le fournisseur de soins satisfait à tous lesautres critères et normes que le ministrepeut prescrire relativement aux qualificationsd’un fournisseur de soins. [J’ai souligné.] [32] Ces dispositions indiquent le genre de libellé qui aurait pu être utilisé pour établir les conditionsminimales ou exclure les demandeurs qui ne remplissent pas certains critères, un point que l’avocat des appelants a bien fait valoir;toutefois, comme je l’ai expliqué précédemment et les parties l’ont reconnu, l’interprétation du par. 67(2) et de l’al. 3(1)e.6) nécessiteque les dispositions soient lues dans leur contexte global en suivant le sens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec l’esprit etl’objet de la Loi. [33] La deuxième prétention des appelants sur l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant rejoignait unepréoccupation soulevée par l’avocat de l’enfant; cette préoccupation constituait l’élément central de la motion de ce dernier et elle a ététraitée dans ses observations à notre Cour.
Comme je l’ai mentionné précédemment, la préoccupation est que l’interprétation de laministre, interprétation qui a été acceptée par la juge saisie de la requête, exclut automatiquement des demandeurs d’une prise enconsidération comme adoptants possibles sans que la ministre ait la possibilité de prendre en compte l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant quel’on cherche à adopter. Les appelants soutiennent qu’une telle interprétation est incompatible avec l’obligation légale de la ministre de« faire passer [l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant] avant toutes autres considérations », comme l’exige le par. 71(1).
Ce paragraphe est ainsilibellé : 71(1) In placing a child for adoption theMinister or the parent shall put above allother circumstances the best interests of thechild. 71(1) Le ministre ou le parent doit, lorsqu’ilplace un enfant en vue de l’adoption, fairepasser l’intérêt supérieur de celui-ci avanttoutes autres considérations. [34] En ce qui concerne l’interprétation des critères et l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, les deux partiesrenvoient à P.T. et al. c. New Brunswick (Minister of Social Development) et al., 2011 NBQB 318 , 2011 NBBR 318, 382 R.N.- B. (2e) 95.
Dans cette affaire, le juge Walsh a conclu que les critères énoncés au par. 3(1) sont des exigences minimales pour que laministre décide si un demandeur est digne au sens du par. 67(2). Comme les appelants l’ont mentionné, le juge n’était pas saisi de laquestion de savoir si le non-respect de l’un des critères serait fatal à une demande et, il est permis de penser, dans cette mesure, quecertaines des observations qu’il a faites dans sa décision sont incidentes.
Toutefois, la ministre soutient que la conclusion du juge Walshselon laquelle les critères constituent des exigences minimales pour qu’il soit décidé qu’une personne est digne d’être prise enconsidération est importante, car il a estimé qu’une telle interprétation s’harmonisait avec l’obligation législative de la ministred’approuver à la fois si les adoptants possibles sont dignes et le placement d’un enfant donné en vue de l’adoption, en se fondant surl’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
Il a conclu que, même si les critères étaient remplis, la ministre avait néanmoins l’obligation de prendreles deux décisions en tenant compte de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. [35] L’affaire P.T. se rapportait à la demande d’adoptants possibles d’un enfant de 11 mois, qui avaitété placé auprès d’eux pour adoption deux jours après sa naissance (avec le consentement de la mère de naissance). Ils ont sollicité larévision judiciaire de la décision ultérieure de la ministre selon laquelle ils n’étaient pas dignes d’être pris en considération pourl’adoption privée de l’enfant.
La vérification initiale par la ministre du dossier des demandeurs ne comportait aucune recherche sousl’ancien nom marital d’un des demandeurs; si elle avait fait cette recherche, celle-ci aurait révélé que la fille de l’adoptante possible issue
d’un premier mariage avait été victime d’une agression sexuelle. Après la découverte de renseignements concernant l’agression, la ministre a conclu que la mère avait omis à la fois de protéger sa fille et de déclarer que cette dernière avait été agressée. Sur ce fondement, la ministre a décidé que les demandeurs n’étaient pas dignes d’être pris en considération comme adoptants possibles. Par ailleurs, une fois que la ministre a informé la mère biologique des circonstances, cette dernière a retiré son consentement à l’adoption.
Le juge Walsh a conclu que les directives suivies par la ministre pour parvenir à sa décision n’étaient pas autorisées par la Loi ou le Règlement.
Il a également conclu qu’il n’existait aucun fondement juridique à la conclusion selon laquelle l’adoptante possible avait enfreint l’un ou l’autre des deux critères invoqués par la ministre en raison de sa divulgation tardive de l’agression survenue des années auparavant. [36] Le juge Walsh a annulé la décision de la ministre et, puisqu’il a renvoyé l’affaire à la ministre pour qu’elle la réexamine, il a donné des directives sur le plan du droit, par application de la règle 69(7).
Ce faisant, il s’est penché sur la décision de la ministre quant à la question de savoir si un demandeur est digne d’être pris en considération comme adoptant possible et il a, notamment, donné son avis selon lequel les critères énoncés au par. 3(1) établissent des exigences minimales pour décider si une personne est digne au sens du par. 67(2). Voici ce qu’il a dit : [TRADUCTION] Dans cet exercice contextuel, l’interprétation retenue doit être animée par l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ». Le texte de loi primaire est la
Loi sur les services à la famille . Je commence mon interprétation en acceptant qu’il n’était pas dans l’intention du législateur que les critères d’évaluation d’une adoption présentent une lacune. En prescrivant au paragraphe 71(1) de faire passer « l’intérêt supérieur » de l’enfant « avant toutes autres considérations » dans un placement en vue de l’adoption, l’intention du législateur était que la Ministre tienne compte de l’ensemble des circonstances en étant guidée par la définition énoncée à l’article 1.
Cette conclusion guide l’interprétation des critères énoncés dans le règlement d’application, le Règlement 85-14 . Lorsqu’un règlement renferme une disposition dont l’interprétation est inconciliable avec la loi dont il relève, cette dernière doit l’emporter (voir l’arrêt Carter Brothers Ltd. c. Registraire des véhicules à moteur de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick , précité, au par. 2). À mon avis, il n’existe pas de contradiction apparente entre la
Loi sur les services à la famille et le Règlement 85-14 si les critères énoncés à l’
article 3 du Règlement sont interprétés comme les critères minimums auxquels doit répondre un adoptant possible, plutôt que les seuls critères qu’il doit remplir. Autrement, des lacunes pourraient apparaître, en ce sens qu’il pourrait exister une circonstance qui ne correspond pas aux critères. Si les critères précis énoncés dans le règlement étaient les seuls points de référence, alors un enfant pourrait courir un danger, ce qui n’est pas une situation prévue par la Loi .
Tout cela pour dire que dans toute décision ministérielle quant à l’aptitude d’adoptants possibles et au caractère convenable de tout placement, c’est l’« intérêt supérieur » de l’enfant qui est le critère, à la lumière de l’ensemble des circonstances. Les critères énoncés dans le règlement ne sont que les exigences préliminaires minimales auxquelles doit satisfaire la décision d’ensemble. À mes yeux, cette interprétation concorde avec l’art. 17 de la
Loi sur l’interprétation […] [par. 75 à 77] [37] À mon avis, les termes employés à l’al. 3(1)e.6) évoquent manifestement l’intention d’exclure un demandeur en adoption ayant été déclaré coupable d’une infraction précisée. La lecture des autres critères et du libellé du par. 3(1) dans son ensemble renforcent cette intention. Le premier critère est la présentation d’une demande dûment remplie.
Ensuite, il y a d’autres critères qui, s’ils ne sont pas respectés ou remplis, sont sans aucun doute censés faire en sorte qu’il ne puisse être décidé qu’un demandeur est digne d’être pris en considération comme adoptant possible. Entre autres critères, il y a l’accomplissement d’une visite à la résidence, la réussite d’une formation, la remise de renseignements médicaux ou financiers et la recommandation d’au moins trois personnes sans lien de parenté.
Bien que certains des critères pourraient nécessiter que la ministre évalue et détermine s’ils ont été remplis, dans la plupart des cas, il n’est pas possible de contester la décision quant à savoir si un critère précis est rempli. De plus, contrairement à la prétention des appelants selon laquelle les critères doivent tous être évalués ensemble, en tant que facteurs à prendre en considération, l’ al. 3(1)
f) exige que « le demandeur [ait] satisfait aux autres critères indiqués au […] règlement ». [38] L’interprétation des critères en tant qu’exigences concorde avec le par. 67(2) ainsi qu’avec l’esprit et l’objet de la Loi . [39] Il ne fait aucun doute que la ministre a l’obligation de prendre en considération l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant avant de le placer en adoption ou de procéder autrement à son adoption.
Il est cependant important de reconnaître que la prétention des appelants selon laquelle l’interprétation des critères ne tient pas compte de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant est, selon la ministre, une conséquence de l’application des critères minimaux établis par la Loi dans la poursuite de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants à adopter.
La difficulté que les appelants ont fait observer se pose seulement lorsque les critères ne sont pas remplis. [40] Bien que les appelants contestent une interprétation des critères qui excluent [TRADUCTION] « automatiquement » un demandeur, ils reconnaissent le pouvoir du législateur d’établir des conditions à l’adoption, pouvoir qu’il exerce en prévoyant, notamment, qu’un demandeur doit être un adulte (par. 66(1)). Le législateur a confié le pouvoir d’établir des critères, par réglementation, servant à déterminer les personnes qui sont dignes d’être prises en considération comme adoptants possibles
(al. 143(hh.1)). [41] La juge Wooder s’est prononcée sur ce pouvoir dans H.C. c. New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services), 2003 NBBR 196, 263 R.N.-B. (2e) 106. Dans cette affaire, la ministre avait retiré d’une mèrenourricière deux enfants qui étaient sous sa charge durant quatre ans et les avait placés dans un autre foyer nourricier. Par voie derequête, la mère nourricière a sollicité une ordonnance enjoignant à la ministre de placer les enfants en adoption auprès d’elle.
La mèrenourricière a présenté une demande en adoption avant que la ministre ne place les enfants dans l’autre foyer nourricier. La motion de lamère nourricière sollicitait une ordonnance afin que les enfants retournent auprès d’elle jusqu’à l’issue de sa requête.
La position de laministre était que les enfants relevaient de sa responsabilité et qu’il n’y avait aucune raison de lui enjoindre de retourner les enfantsauprès de la mère nourricière en attendant l’issue d’une procédure quelconque, en adoption ou autre. [42] Bien que les motifs de la juge Wooder se soient concentrés sur la réponse à l’affirmation de lamère nourricière selon laquelle le tribunal devrait exercer sa compétence parens patriae en raison des lacunes dans la législation, elle aadopté le raisonnement suivi dans Perteet c.
British Columbia (Superintendent of Family and Child Service), (BC CA), [1988] B.C.J. no 245 (C.A.) (QL), et a fait les observations suivantes relativement à la Loi qui, selon elle, constituait un codecomplet et exclusif sur la garde des enfants confiés à la charge de la ministre : [TRADUCTION] À mon avis, la même analyse et la même conclusion s’appliquent en l’espèce.
Le législateur a jugé bon d’adopter une loi etd’accorder à la ministre divers pouvoirs et responsabilités, notamment le pouvoir de fixer et d’appliquer des critères pourdéterminer les personnes qui devraient agir en tant que parents nourriciers, de fixer et d’appliquer des critères pour sélectionnerdes parents adoptifs aptes et de consentir à l’adoption d’enfants pris en charge par suite d’une ordonnance de tutelle.
La Loi établit un régime complet qui accorde certains pouvoirs à la ministre et lui impose diverses obligations, ainsi que l’entièrediscrétion pour exercer ses pouvoirs et s’acquitter de ces fonctions. Notre Cour n’est pas saisie de la question de savoir si la ministrea exercé ses pouvoirs, notamment son pouvoir discrétionnaire, de manière appropriée, en remplissant, par exemple, son obligation d’agirde bonne foi.
La question de l’appréciation de l’intérêt supérieur d’un enfant à l’égard duquel la ministre agit comme parent, dans le cadredes placements en foyer nourricier et en adoption, a été confiée à la ministre. [J’ai souligné.] [43] À mon avis, l’interprétation de l’al. 3(1)e.6) comme une exigence qu’un demandeur doitsatisfaire pour que l’on conclue qu’il est digne au sens du par. 67(2) n’est pas incompatible avec une obligation prescrite par la Loi defaire passer l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant en premier.
Il convient de souligner que, en ce qui concerne un enfant particulier visé par unedemande en adoption, les critères exigent que le demandeur démontre que les « motifs qui l’animent à faire une demande en adoptionsont compatibles avec l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » (al. 3(1)e.7)).
En outre, à l’étape du placement d’un enfant en vue de son adoptionauprès d’adoptants possibles, qui ont souvent, mais pas toujours, été préalablement jugés dignes par la ministre au sens du par. 67(2), laministre doit faire passer l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant avant toutes autres considérations, comme le prévoit le par. 71(1). [44] Il n’est pas difficile de comprendre l’angoisse causée dans une affaire donnée par suite del’application des critères servant à déterminer si un demandeur est digne d’être pris en considération comme adoptant possible.
Toutefois,cela ne relève pas de l’établissement par le législateur ou le lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil de conditions minimales ne tenant pascompte de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants, mais plutôt du sentiment que la relation d’amour reconnue entre l’enfant et les appelants soitsoumise à des critères, notamment les infractions visées à l’annexe A, trop stricts ou d’exclusion.
Les critères établis par le Règlementn’excluent pas l’intérêt supérieur des enfants, comme le prétendent les appelants; ils mettent plutôt en application l’intérêt supérieur del’enfant conformément à l’esprit de la Loi et à l’intention du législateur.
L’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant joue un rôle à chaque étape duprocessus d’adoption prévu par la Loi et les critères sont établis pour le bien-être et la protection des enfants. [45] En effet, il n’a pas été prétendu qu’il ne peut y avoir d’exigences minimales et il a été reconnuqu’il était manifestement dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants d’exclure comme adoptants possibles ceux qui, par exemple, ont étédeclarés coupables de crimes liés à des actes qui constituent de mauvais traitements à l’endroit d’enfants.
Le débat peut se poser parrapport à d’autres infractions, mais le lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil, en prenant le règlement en question, a estimé qu’il étaitégalement dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant d’écarter les personnes déclarées coupables de telles infractions du processus d’adoption. [46] Ce n’est pas une réponse que de dire qu’en l’espèce, il serait dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant
d’être adopté par une personne qui ne remplit pas les critères. Il s’agirait simplement de remplacer la décision prise par le lieutenant- gouverneur en conseil au sujet de l’intérêt supérieur d’un enfant par la décision du tribunal. En établissant un règlement sans exception discrétionnaire, le législateur doit avoir été conscient de la question des cas difficiles comme celui en l’espèce, et il doit avoir tiré la conclusion que, tout bien considéré, l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant favorisait l’exclusion des personnes déclarées coupables de fraude du processus d’adoption.
Le fait que j’aurais pu arriver à une conclusion différente ne constitue pas un motif pour dire que le législateur a tort. [47] En conclusion, je ne saurais me rallier à la position des appelants selon laquelle la juge saisie de la requête a commis une erreur en concluant que la ministre n’avait d’autre choix que de conclure qu’elle ne pouvait pas donner suite à la demande des appelants une fois qu’il avait été établi qu’ils ne satisfaisaient pas aux critères de l’ al. 3(1) e.6) du Règlement. B.
Le Règlement outrepasse la compétence du lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil [48] Les appelants soutiennent que, dans la mesure où une interprétation du Règlement les empêche d’être pris en considération en raison de la déclaration de culpabilité en matière criminelle, le Règlement est ultra vires . [49] Voici le libellé de l’art. 143 de la Loi : 143 The Lieutenant-Governor in Council may make regulations […] (hh.1) establishing criteria for the purposes of subsection 67(2); 143 Le lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil peut établir des règlements […] hh.1) établissant des critères pour l’application du paragraphe 67(2); [50] Les appelants affirment que le Règlement ou l’ al. 3(1) e.6), ou les deux, sont ultra vires parce qu’ils sont incompatibles avec les obligatio