2021 NBCA 27, 2021 NBCA 27
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 33-20-CA M.L. APPELLANT M.L. APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJEST É LA REINE INTIMÉE M.L. v. R., 2021 NBCA 27 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond M.L. c.
R., 2021 NBCA 27 CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: February 12, 2020 (conviction) February 25, 2020 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 12 février 2020 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 25 février 2020 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported A publication ban in this matter was issued by the Provincial Court on February 6, 2020. It remains in effect.
Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Le 6 février 2020, la Cour provinciale a rendu en l’espèce une ordonnance de non-publication qui est toujours en vigueur. Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: January 26, 2021 Appel entendu : le 26 janvier 2021
Judgment rendered: May 20, 2021 Jugement rendu : le 20 mai 2021 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Kevin J. Haché For the respondent: Marc A. Bourgeois Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Kevin J. Haché Pour l’intimée : Marc A. Bourgeois
THE COURT The appeal against conviction for the charge of sexual exploitation (s. 153(1.1)(a)) is allowed and an acquittal is entered. The appeal against conviction for the charge of sexual assault is allowed, and a stay of proceedings is entered. The application for leave to appeal the sentence for sexual assault and sexual interference is granted, and the sentence for sexual assault is set aside. The sentence for sexual interference, while no longer concurrent, is confirmed for the term imposed by the trial judge and is consecutive to any sentence M.L. was serving at the time of sentencing in the lower court.
The appeal against conviction for sexual interference (s. 151(a)) and for uttering threats (s. 264.1(2)(a)) is dismissed. The application for leave to appeal the sentence imposed for uttering threats, one year consecutive, is dismissed. All ancillary orders imposed by the Provincial Court judge remain unaffected. LA COUR L’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour le chef d’exploitation sexuelle (al. 153(1.1)a)) est accueilli et l’acquittement est prononcé. L’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour le chef d’agression sexuelle est accueilli, et l’arrêt des procédures est ordonné.
La demande d’autorisation d’appel contre la peine prononcée pour les chefs d’agression sexuelle et de contacts sexuels est accueillie, et la peine pour agression sexuelle est annulée. La peine pour contacts sexuels, bien qu’elle ne soit plus concurrente, est confirmée pour la période fixée par la juge du procès et sera purgée de façon consécutive à toute peine purgée par M.L. au moment du prononcé de la peine en première instance. L’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour contacts sexuels (al. 151a)) et pour avoir proféré des menaces (al. 264.1(2)a)) est rejeté.
La demande d’autorisation d’appel contre la peine d’un an d’emprisonnement infligée pour avoir proféré des menaces, à purger consécutivement, est rejetée. Toutes les ordonnances accessoires qui ont été rendues par la juge de la Cour provinciale demeurent en vigueur. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [ 1 ] En février 2020, M.L. a subi un procès pour quatre infractions prévues au Code criminel : agression sexuelle ( al. 271a) ), contacts sexuels ( al. 151a) ), exploitation sexuelle (al. 153(1.1)a)) et avoir proféré des menaces (al. 264.1(2)a)).
Ces infractions auraient été commises entre le 1 er janvier 2012 et le 31 décembre 2014 [TRADUCTION] « à Eel River Crossing ou près de cet endroit, dans la province du Nouveau-Brunswick ». [ 2 ] Le 12 février 2020, M.L. a été déclaré coupable des quatre chefs d’accusation. Un arrêt des procédures a ensuite été ordonné à l’égard du chef d’accusation d’exploitation sexuelle. Le 25 février 2020, M.L. s’est vu infliger une peine totale de sept ans d’emprisonnement.
Il appelle à présent de ces déclarations de culpabilité et demande l’autorisation d’appeler de la peine. [ 3 ] L’avocat du ministère public a consenti à une prolongation du délai pour faire appel de la déclaration de culpabilité pour exploitation sexuelle (al. 153(1.1)a)) et a accepté que la déclaration de culpabilité soit annulée et qu’un verdict
d’acquittement soit inscrit, puisque la victime n’avait pas encore 16 ans lorsque les événements en cause ont eu lieu. Nous avons accordé la prolongation sollicitée, accueilli l’appel et inscrit un acquittement. [ 4 ] Pour les motifs exposés ci-dessous, je suis d’avis :
a) d’accueillir l’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour le chef d’agression sexuelle et d’ordonner l’arrêt des procédures;
b) d’accueillir la demande d’autorisation d’appel contre la peine prononcée pour les chefs d’agression sexuelle et de contacts sexuels et d’annuler la peine pour agression sexuelle. La peine pour contacts sexuels cesse donc d’être concurrente. Je confirmerais toutefois la peine de six ans d’emprisonnement prononcée par la juge du procès;
c) de rejeter l’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour contacts sexuels (al. 151a)) et pour avoir proféré des menaces (al. 264.1(2)a)) et de rejeter la demande d’autorisation d’appel contre la peine infligée pour cette dernière infraction. II. Contexte [ 5 ] Les déclarations de culpabilité de M.L. concernent divers événements au cours desquels il a agressé sexuellement A., sa fille, ou eu des contacts sexuels avec elle. En 2011, M.L. a communiqué avec son ex-conjointe et a faussement prétendu qu’il était atteint d’un cancer et grièvement malade et souhaitait rétablir le contact avec ses enfants.
En raison de sa séparation de leur mère et d’une période d’incarcération, il n’avait pas entretenu des contacts continus avec ses enfants. Son ex-conjointe a accédé à sa demande et ses deux enfants, sa fille A. et son fils, ont commencé à lui rendre visite à l’occasion. [ 6 ] Le premier incident mentionné dans la dénonciation est survenu en 2012 dans la salle de bain de la maison de M.L. à Eel River Crossing, alors que A. avait 11 ans. M.L., vêtu d’un caleçon boxeur, a dit à A. d’enfiler un maillot de bain et de le rejoindre dans le bain.
Une fois A. dans le bain, M.L. a glissé sa main sous le maillot de bain de A., l’a pénétrée avec ses doigts et l’a caressée. Une fois tous deux sortis du bain, M.L. a sorti son pénis de son caleçon boxeur et a commencé à se masturber. M.L. a ensuite pris le bras de A. afin de tenter de mettre sa main sur son pénis, mais elle a réussi à s’enfuir de la salle de bain avant de toucher le pénis. [ 7 ] Le deuxième incident a eu lieu en 2013, à la résidence de M.L., alors que A. avait environ 12 ans. A. est allée se coucher dans la chambre de M.L. et de sa conjointe de fait.
Alors que A. était couchée sur le ventre, M.L. s’est placé au-dessus d’elle, lui a enlevé son pantalon et a commencé à toucher ses fesses et son vagin. Il a ensuite essayé de pénétrer A. par l’arrière. A. a senti son pénis entre ses cuisses. A. a serré ses jambes pour les garder fermées et M.L. n’a pas réussi à la pénétrer. [ 8 ] Le dernier incident s’est produit à la maison de M.L. à l’été 2014. A. était alors âgée d’environ 14 ans. M.L., assis à côté d’elle sur le divan, lui a caressé les seins et a essayé de glisser sa main dans son pantalon.
A. a alors couru se cacher sous l’escalier dans le sous-sol et elle a crié : [TRADUCTION] « [T]u n’es pas censé me faire ça, tu n’es pas censé me toucher de cette façon. » M.L. a accepté de la ramener chez elle. Il lui a dit : [TRADUCTION] « [T]rès bien, je vais aller te reconduire chez ta grand- mère. » Tandis que A. mettait ses bottes pour partir, M.L. lui a dit : [TRADUCTION] « [N]e raconte pas ça à personne, sinon je vais te faire du mal ». [ 9 ] En 2015, A. a fait une déclaration à un agent de la GRC au sujet de ces incidents.
Elle avait rencontré cet agent par l’entremise d’un programme d’approche à son école. Elle a ensuite révélé les incidents à sa mère. Le 21 novembre 2015, M.L. a été arrêté par la GRC de Campbellton. Il a ensuite été remis en liberté sur promesse de comparaître le 21 mars 2016. Le 17 mars 2016, un peu avant la date de comparution, un agent de la GRC a communiqué avec M.L. et lui a dit de ne pas se rendre au tribunal le 21 mars 2016. On l’a informé que les conditions de sa remise en liberté demeuraient en vigueur.
Le dossier a été présenté au Service des poursuites pénales de Campbellton afin d’obtenir l’approbation du ministère public le 30 mai 2016. Le 15 décembre 2017, M.L. a été condamné à une peine d’emprisonnement de cinq ans pour des infractions sexuelles non connexes commises sur une jeune fille. La dénonciation en l’espèce a été faite sous serment le 27 août 2018. [ 10 ] Lors de sa première comparution, le 15 octobre 2018, M.L. a inscrit un plaidoyer de non-culpabilité. Il a demandé deux autres ajournements et la date du procès a été fixée initialement au 9 avril 2019.
Celle-ci a finalement été ajournée à la demande de M.L. Le 6 février 2020, M.L. a présenté une motion préliminaire dans laquelle il sollicitait l’arrêt des procédures alléguant que le délai antérieur à l’accusation, de 26 mois et 28 jours, enfreignait ses droits protégés par l’art. 7 et l’ al. 11
d) de la Charte
canadienne des droits et libertés et qu’il avait été assujetti à des conditions de mise en liberté [TRADUCTION] « à tort » pour unepériode totale de 20 mois et 29 jours. La juge du procès a rejeté la motion et a instruit l’affaire. Cette décision n’a pas été portée en appel. [11] Le procès a eu lieu les 6 et 12 février 2020. À l’issue du procès, le 12 février 2020, la juge du procès a déclaréM.L. coupable à l’égard des quatre chefs d’accusation.
Le 25 février 2020, M.L. a été condamné à une peine de six ansd’emprisonnement pour l’infraction d’agression sexuelle (al. 271a)), à une peine concurrente de six ans d’emprisonnement pourl’infraction de contacts sexuels (al. 151a)) et à une peine consécutive d’un an d’emprisonnement pour l’infraction d’avoir proféré desmenaces (al. 264.1(2)a)), pour une peine totale de sept ans d’emprisonnement devant être purgée consécutivement à toute peine qu’ilpurgeait déjà. III.
Moyens d’appel [12] M.L. appelle des déclarations de culpabilité pour les trois accusations qui n’ont pas fait l’objet d’un arrêt desprocédures en invoquant les moyens suivants : 1) la juge du procès a commis une erreur dans son application du principe dégagé de l’arrêt Kienapple; 2) la juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en admettant un témoignage narratif inadmissible, et ce malgré l’objection de ladéfense; 3) la juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en déclarant M.L. coupable de l’infraction d’avoir proféré des menaces prévue àl’alinéa 264.1(2)a). [13] M.L. demande en outre la permission d’appeler de la peine, faisant valoir de façon générale que[TRADUCTION] « la juge du procès a commis une erreur dans la peine infligée ».
V. Analyse [14] Au tout début de l’audition de l’appel, l’avocat de M.L. a informé la Cour que, bien que M.L. eût étéreprésenté par avocat, il souhaitait pouvoir assister à l’audition par vidéoconférence. Cela aurait nécessité un ajournement. L’avocat duministère public a consenti.
Après une brève pause, la Cour a décidé, en application du par. 688(2) du Code criminel, de refuserl’ajournement et de procéder à l’audition de l’appel et de la demande d’autorisation. [15] Comme je l’ai indiqué, l’avocat du ministère public a consenti à une prolongation du délai prescrit pour appelerde la déclaration de culpabilité pour exploitation sexuelle (par. 153(1)) et a accepté que la déclaration de culpabilité soit annulée et qu’unverdict d’acquittement soit inscrit, parce que la victime n’avait pas encore 16 ans au moment des événements sous-jacents (par. 153(2)).Nous avons accordé la prolongation sollicitée, accueilli l’appel et inscrit l’acquittement.
A. Principe de l’arrêt Kienapple [16] La juge du procès a déclaré M.L. coupable d’avoir enfreint à la fois l’al. 271a) du Code criminel (agressionsexuelle) et l’al. 151a) (contacts sexuels), et a infligé à M.L. une peine pour chacune de ces deux infractions, bien qu’elles soient àpurger de façon concurrente. Il s’agit d’une erreur, car la juge du procès a omis d’ordonner l’arrêt des procédures pour l’un des chefsd’accusation, comme le prescrit l’arrêt Kienapple c. La Reine, (CSC), [1975] 1 R.C.S. 729. L’avocat du ministère publica reconnu qu’il s’agissait d’une erreur.
Dans l’arrêt Kienapple, les co-accusés ont été déclarés coupables de deux infractions sexuelles,soit celles de viol et de rapports sexuels avec une personne du sexe féminin âgée de moins de 14 ans. S’exprimant au nom de la majorité,le juge Laskin, alors juge puîné, fait remarquer que ces deux infractions se chevauchent. Ainsi, lorsque les faits étayant un verdict deculpabilité à l’égard des deux infractions sont les mêmes, ces deux infractions doivent être traitées comme offrant un choix.
Lejuge Laskin a dit : « La question pertinente pour ce qui est de l’autorité de la chose jugée est de savoir si la même cause ou chose (plutôt
que la même infraction) se trouve comprise dans deux infractions ou plus » (Kienapple, p. 750). [17] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Prince, (CSC), [1986] 2 R.C.S. 480, [1986] A.C.S. no 63 (QL), le juge enchef Dickson, s’exprimant au nom d’une Cour unanime, explique qu’il existe deux conditions préalables à l’application du principe quise dégage de l’arrêt Kienapple. D’abord, il doit y avoir un « lien factuel suffisant entre les accusations » (par. 17), et ensuite, « un lienjuridique suffisant » entre les infractions (par. 22).
En ce qui concerne les infractions de contacts sexuels et d’agression sexuelle, il estpossible d’être coupable d’agression sexuelle tout en n’étant pas coupable de contacts sexuels. Lorsque ce n’est pas le cas, le lienjuridique nécessaire entre les infractions existe et elles sont essentiellement les mêmes : R. c. S.J.M., 2009 ONCA 244, [2009] O.J.No. 1130 (QL), aux par. 8 et 9. [18] Par conséquent, M.L. n’aurait pas dû être déclaré coupable des deux chefs d’accusation puisqu’ils découlentdes mêmes actes.
Une déclaration de culpabilité aurait plutôt dû être inscrite pour la plus grave des deux infractions, et l’autre aurait dûfaire l’objet d’un arrêt des procédures : R. c. J.F., 2008 CSC 60, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 215, au par. 93. Récemment, la Cour suprême a confirmé ce principe dans l’arrêt R. c.
R.V., 2021 CSC 10, [2021] A.C.S. no 10 (QL), dans lequel elle a inscrit une déclaration deculpabilité à l’égard de l’accusation de contacts sexuels et a ordonné l’arrêt des procédures quant à l’accusation d’agression sexuelle,précisant ceci : De plus, comme l’ont fait observer les juges majoritaires de la Cour d’appel, avec raison selon moi, le fait que la Couronne intente unprocès sur des chefs d’accusation qui se chevauchent, dans les cas comme celui qui nous occupe, ouvre la porte à des verdictsincompatibles. Un tel chevauchement est particulièrement illogique lorsque, comme en l’espèce, l’arrêt Kienapple c.
La Reine, (CSC), [1975] 1 R.C.S. 729, de notre Cour, entraînera l’arrêt des procédures pour au moins un des chefs d’accusation à l’étapede la détermination de la peine.
Le cadre que j’ai décrit offre une solution au problème que présentent les verdicts incompatibles, mais lasolution idéale serait que la Couronne évite de multiplier inutilement les chefs d’accusation (Rodgerson, par. 45). [par. 79] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [19] Comme le principe énoncé dans l’arrêt Kienapple s’applique en l’espèce, il doit y avoir arrêt des procédures àl’égard de l’accusation de l’infraction moindre pour laisser place à l’infraction la plus grave (Prince, au par. 33).
Un examen de lajurisprudence indique que les tribunaux ont récemment appliqué le principe de l’arrêt Kienapple pour déterminer que les al. 151a) et271a) pouvaient être considérées comme des infractions offrant un choix et que, suivant ce qui ressort de la preuve, il n’était pas possibled’inscrire une déclaration de culpabilité à l’égard des deux : R. c. S.J.M., 2009 ONCA 244, [2009] O.J. No. 1130 (QL). Dans R. c. T.Q.,2019 NUCJ 5, [2019] Nu.J.
No. 6 (QL), le juge Sharkey a examiné l’évolution des infractions d’agression sexuelle et de contacts sexuelsafin de déterminer laquelle des deux constitue l’infraction moindre : [TRADUCTION] Selon moi, la règle qui se dégage de l’arrêt Kienapple doit être appliquée selon une démarche plus raisonnée : une démarche qui tientcompte de la spécificité et de la nature insidieuse des crimes en cause, ainsi que de l’incidence de la déclaration de culpabilité sur ledélinquant. […] La décision R. c.
Innerebner, 2010 ABQB 188, 39 Alta L.R. (5th) 131 [Innerebner], s’inscrit dans la première vague (de 2005 à2012), lorsque l’infraction de contacts sexuels entraînait une peine minimale obligatoire et que ce n’était pas le cas pour celle d’agressionsexuelle. La Cour a conclu qu’en raison de l’existence de la peine minimale obligatoire, le législateur a voulu que la plus grave des deuxinfractions soit celle de contacts sexuels.
Or, la Cour a également conclu que, indépendamment de la peine minimale, l’infraction de contacts sexuels était la plus grave des deuxparce qu’elle consistait essentiellement en une agression [sexuelle] à l’endroit d’une personne mineure.
Voici ce qu’affirme le juge Readau par. 36 : [TRADUCTION] Même si j’avais tort et que le législateur n’avait pas l’intention, par le seul fait de prescrire une peine minimale obligatoire, d’indiquerque l’infraction la plus grave était celle de contacts sexuels, on ne peut à mon avis conclure que les contacts sexuels, qui présupposent unacte sexuel commis à l’endroit d’un enfant par un adulte, sont d’une gravité moindre que l’agression sexuelle. En outre […] l’infraction
de contacts sexuels […] décrit plus précisément l’infraction perpétrée par ce délinquant[…] La décision R. c. Hussein, 2017 ONSC 4202, 141 WCB (2d) 231 [Hussein], s’inscrit dans la vague législative moderne, où lespeines prévues pour contacts sexuels et agression sexuelle sont – lorsque le ministère public procède par voie de mise en accusation –identiques, en ce qui concerne à la fois la peine maximale et la peine obligatoire.
Par conséquent, tout en respectant le paradigme de Kienapple, le « nombre d’années » à lui seul n’était d’aucune utilité dans la décisionHussein pour déterminer laquelle des deux infractions est la plus grave et celle à l’égard de laquelle la déclaration de culpabilité doit êtreinscrite. Dans Hussein, c’est en fait le ministère public qui avait avancé que les contacts sexuels correspondaient davantage à la nature des gestesposés par l’agresseur, ce que la défense n’a pas contesté. Toujours dans Hussein, le juge Code a décidé de suivre le jugement [TRADUCTION] « bien motivé » du juge LeMay, dans l’affaire R.c.
F.L., 2016 ONSC 1215, où il (le juge LeMay) s’exprime ainsi aux par. 21 à 25 : [TRADUCTION] […] Je suis d’avis que l’accusation de contacts sexuels présente une explication plus précise et plus complète du crime qui a été commisen l’espèce. Elle comporte la reconnaissance du fait que le crime a été commis à l’endroit d’une victime qui était un enfant. Il s’agit là,selon moi, d’un élément clé de la présente affaire.
Je suis convaincu que la démarche raisonnée adoptée dans l’arrêt Hussein est celle qui convient lorsque la règle de l’arrêt Kienapple estappliquée dans des scénarios comportant des faits graves, voire d’une extrême gravité, où un accusé est inculpé à la fois de contactssexuels et d’agression sexuelle.
Et aujourd’hui, dans ces affaires où les infractions reprochées sont graves, il est évident que la déclaration de culpabilité qu’il convientd’inscrire est celle se rapportant aux contacts sexuels. […] À mon avis, l’infraction de contacts sexuels correspond mieux à la nature des gestes qui ont été posés par le défendeur et constitue unedescription plus précise du crime qu’il a commis.
Une déclaration de culpabilité à l’égard de l’infraction plus générale d’agressionsexuelle ne renseigne aucunement le public quant à l’âge de la victime – elle ne l’informe même pas du fait que le crime commis par ledélinquant visait un enfant. [par. 48, 50 à 57 et 60] [20] Comme il est expliqué dans l’arrêt T.Q., les décisions récentes ont tendance à traiter l’infraction de contactssexuels comme si elle était la plus grave des deux. Sous la plume du juge en chef Wagner et du juge Rowe, dans R. c.
Friesen, 2020 CSC 9, [2019] A.C.S. no 100, la Cour suprême reconnaît que l’infraction de contacts sexuels n’est pas une infraction moindre : C’est une erreur de droit que de traiter les contacts sexuels comme étant moins graves que les agressions sexuelles. Comme nous l’avonsmentionné précédemment, le législateur a fixé les mêmes peines maximales pour les contacts sexuels et les agressions sexuelles à l’égardd’une personne âgée de moins de 16 ans.
Les éléments de l’infraction sont également similaires et une déclaration de culpabilité pouragression sexuelle à l’égard d’un enfant et pour contacts sexuels à l’égard d’un enfant repose souvent sur les mêmes faits (R. c. M. (S.J.),2009 ONCA 244, 247 O.A.C. 178, par. 8). [par. 120] [21] Même si l’avocat du ministère public a accepté de substituer un arrêt des procédures à l’infraction de contactssexuels, il s’agirait d’une application erronée du droit.
Comme le souligne la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Friesen, des peines maximalesidentiques sont prévues pour les infractions de contacts sexuels et d’agression sexuelle; la première infraction n’est donc pas moins graveque la seconde. Dans des situations comme celle en l’espèce, j’adopterais la démarche plus [TRADUCTION] « raisonnée » mise del’avant dans l’arrêt T.Q. afin de déterminer la gravité relative de deux infractions subsidiaires.
[ 22 ] Une démarche raisonnée consisterait en un examen de l’échelle des peines établies par le législateur, en particulier la peine maximale. Si une des infractions entraîne une peine plus élevée que l’autre, cela serait alors probablement considéré comme un facteur déterminant ( Friesen , par. 96 ). Toutefois, lorsque ce n’est pas le cas, le tribunal doit en outre considérer la spécificité de l’infraction et déterminer quelle infraction correspond le mieux à la conduite reprochée.
Certaines situations pourraient étayer une déclaration de culpabilité pour ce qui est de l’agression sexuelle et non des contacts sexuels ( R. c. Plehanov, 2020 BCCA 249 , [2020] B.C.J. No. 1473 (QL) ). Comme l’indique le juge LeMay dans R. c. F.L. , 2016 ONSC 1215 , [2016] O.J. No. 844 (QL) : [TRADUCTION] Le délinquant fait valoir que l’accusation d’agression sexuelle est la plus grave des accusations. Je ne suis pas d’accord avec lui, et ce pour deux raisons.
Premièrement, compte tenu de l’âge de la plaignante et du fait que le ministère public a procédé par voie de mise en accusation, les peines sont les mêmes pour les deux infractions. Deuxièmement, l’un des éléments requis de l’infraction de contacts sexuels est que la victime doit avoir été âgée de moins de quatorze ans au moment des agressions. Ce n’est pas un élément de l’infraction d’agression sexuelle. J’en viens maintenant aux raisons pour lesquelles une déclaration de culpabilité pour contacts sexuels est plus appropriée en l’espèce.
Je suis d’avis que l’accusation de contacts sexuels présente une explication plus précise et plus complète du crime qui a été commis en l’espèce. Elle comporte la reconnaissance du fait que le crime a été commis à l’endroit d’une victime qui était un enfant.
Il s’agit là, selon moi, d’un élément clé de la présente affaire. [par. 22 et 23] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 23 ] Selon moi, ceci réconcilie l’objectif du principe qui se dégage de l’ arrêt Kienapple , qui est de prévenir les déclarations de culpabilité multiples pour les mêmes actes, respectant ainsi la règle de la chose jugée, et le fait que la société comprend davantage la gravité des crimes commis à l’endroit des enfants ( Friesen , aux par. 1, 5, 35 et 50 à 74 ).
Lorsque la victime d’une infraction est un enfant, la déclaration de culpabilité devrait correspondre au crime qui représente le mieux la nature de l’infraction commise. L’ arrêt Kienapple ne devrait pas être utilisé pour camoufler la gravité de l’infraction. J’accueillerais l’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour agression sexuelle. B. L’ a dmissibilité du témoignage narratif [ 24 ] Ce moyen d’appel est soulevé parce que A. a témoigné au sujet de deux incidents de violence sexuelle qui se sont déroulés à Madran, au Nouveau-Brunswick, et qui n’étaient pas visés par la dénonciation.
L’avocat de la défense de M.L. s’est opposé à ce témoignage. Sans fournir de détails, la juge du procès a autorisé A. à témoigner au sujet des incidents survenus à Madran parce que ce témoignage offrait des éléments contextuels et que ces incidents marquaient le début du récit des violences sexuelles. Elle n’a pas permis à A. de témoigner pleinement au sujet d’un incident qui avait eu lieu en Ontario.
Le dossier révèle que la juge du procès a fait des déclarations indiquant qu’elle savait que le témoignage narratif au sujet des incidents survenus à Madran ne pouvait être utilisé pour établir la véracité de son contenu ou pour corroborer les incidents faisant l’objet de la dénonciation. Il pouvait seulement être utilisé à des fins de mise en contexte. [ 25 ] M.L. affirme que la juge a commis une erreur de droit en tenant compte du témoignage narratif de A.
Il fait valoir qu’elle a commis une erreur en admettant le témoignage de A. concernant les événements qui ont eu lieu à Madran, car ces déclarations ne constituent pas de la preuve narrative. L’avocat du ministère public soutient que le témoignage au sujet de Madran a été admis légitimement en tant que
partie intégrante du récit des faits et que la juge du procès était consciente de la valeur à accorder à ce témoignage. [ 26 ] La juge du procès n’a pas commis d’erreur en admettant le témoignage sur les incidents survenus à Madran. Ce témoignage décrivait les premiers incidents de violence. Pour être admises à
titre de témoignage purement narratif, les déclarations doivent permettre au décideur de mieux comprendre la chronologie des événements ( R. c. Khan , 2017 ONCA 114 , [2017] O.J. No. 745 (QL) ; Bright c. R. , 2020 NBCA 79 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 314 (QL) ). Si les déclarations ne sont pas essentielles au récit, elles ne seront pas admises. Dans le cas qui nous occupe, ces déclarations peuvent être considérées comme essentielles au récit.
Le témoignage au sujet des événements qui ont eu lieu à Madran, même s’il ne concerne pas directement les événements survenus à Eel River Crossing ou près de cet endroit, est essentiel à la compréhension du récit, car il offre des détails sur la première fois que A. a senti que quelque chose allait de travers dans sa relation avec son père. La juge du procès a reconnu que ce témoignage ne pouvait être admis pour prouver la véracité des allégations concernant les événements survenus à Eel River Crossing; il ne fait qu’établir le récit des faits.
Par conséquent, selon moi, ce n’était pas une erreur de droit que d’admettre le témoignage au sujet des incidents survenus à Madran.
[27] M.L. fait valoir que si le témoignage concernant les événements de Madran a été admis à bon droit, alors il en aété tenu compte de façon inappropriée pour établir sa culpabilité. Selon l’avocat du ministère public, quand elle a examiné l’ensemble descirconstances, la juge du procès a traité comme il se doit le témoignage sur les événements survenus à Madran. [28] La Cour suprême explique ce qui suit dans R. c. Dinardo, 2008 CSC 24, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 788 : Dans certaines circonstances, les déclarations antérieures compatibles peuvent être admissibles en tant que
partie intégrante du récit desfaits. Une fois admises en preuve, ces déclarations peuvent être utilisées dans le but limité d’aider le juge des faits à comprendrecomment les faits relatés par le plaignant ont été divulgués à l’origine.
La difficulté, c’est de faire la distinction entre [TRADUCTION]« l’utilisation du récit des faits dans le but inadmissible de “confirmer la véracité des déclarations faites sous serment” » et « l’utilisationdu témoignage narratif dans le but admissible d’établir l’existence d’une plainte et le moment de son dépôt, ce qui pourrait alors aider lejuge des faits dans son appréciation de la véracité ou de la crédibilité des déclarations » McWilliams’ Canadian Criminal Evidence (4e éd. (feuilles mobiles)), p. 11-44 et 11-45 (en italique dans l’original); voir aussi R. c.
F. (J.E.) (1993), (ON CA),85 C.C.C. (3d) 457 (C.A. Ont.), p. 476). Dans R. c. G.C., [2006] O.J. No. 2245 (QL), la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario a fait remarquer que les déclarations antérieures compatiblesd’un plaignant pouvaient aider le tribunal à évaluer la probabilité qu’il soit sincère, notamment dans les cas d’allégations d’agressionssexuelles commises contre des enfants.
Le juge Rouleau, qui a rédigé les motifs unanimes de la Cour d’appel, s’est exprimé ainsi : [TRADUCTION] Bien qu’elle ait été admise à bon droit au procès, la preuve d’une plainte antérieure ne peut servir à corroborer la survenance del’incident en cause. Elle ne peut servir à prouver la véracité de son contenu. Toutefois, cette preuve peut servir à « étayer l’allégationprincipale en constituant un cadre logique pour sa présentation », comme nous l’avons vu plus haut, et à apprécier la sincérité de laplaignante. À cet égard, l’arrêt R. c.
F. (J.E.) précise ce qui suit, à la p. 476 : Le fait que les déclarations ont été faites est admissible en preuve pour aider le jury à suivre le déroulement des événements, de laperpétration de l’infraction jusqu’à l’engagement de poursuites, afin qu’il puisse comprendre la conduite de la plaignante et apprécier sasincérité. Toutefois, il faut prévenir les jurés de l’importance de ne pas considérer le contenu des déclarations comme une preuve de laperpétration d’un crime.
Le juge du procès était conscient de l’utilisation limitée qui pouvait être faite de cette preuve, comme le montrent ses motifs : [J]’ai été vraiment frappé, même si le fait de dire à quelqu’un qu’on a été agressé ne confirme pas en soi l’agression. J’ai été frappé parla manière dont elle en a parlé, cela tend à confirmer le récit [de la plaignante] – c’est-à-dire comment ils lisaient un livre et comment ilsen sont venus à parler de l’abus sexuel des enfants.
Dans les cas d’agressions sexuelles commises contre de jeunes enfants, les tribunaux ont reconnu qu’il était difficile d’obtenir de lavictime un récit détaillé des faits. Dans certains cas, la manière dont l’enfant finit par divulguer les faits peut servir d’outil utile au jugedu procès dans son appréciation de la sincérité de l’enfant, soit en renforçant ou en affaiblissant la force probante logique de sontémoignage.
Il en est ainsi en l’espèce. [par. 20 à 22] [par. 37 et 38] [Soulignement dans l’original.] [29] Le témoignage concernant les incidents survenus à Madran n’a pas été utilisé pour prouver ou corroborer lasurvenance des incidents qui font l’objet de la dénonciation ou la véracité de la plainte. La juge du procès, après avoir entendul’objection formulée par l’avocat de la défense et les arguments des deux avocats, a compris ce qui était en jeu. Elle était consciente desconséquences de l’admission de ce témoignage et l’a traité avec les considérations nécessaires.
Autrement dit, elle savait que letémoignage narratif ne pouvait être utilisé pour prouver la véracité de son contenu ou pour corroborer les incidents allégués dans ladénonciation; il pouvait seulement être utilisé à des fins de mise en contexte. Selon moi, rien dans la preuve n’indique que la juge duprocès a utilisé la preuve de la violence survenue à Madran pour étayer sa décision quant à la culpabilité. Le dossier indique qu’elle a
simplement utilisé le témoignage narratif pour mettre en contexte le début des violences sexuelles jusqu’aux événements qui ont mené àla plainte. C. Menaces [30] M.L. affirme que la juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en omettant de tenir compte de la mens rea del’infraction de proférer des menaces prévue à l’al. 264.1(2)a). L’avocat du ministère public est d’avis qu’aucune erreur de la sorte n’a étécommise, puisque la juge a examiné la mens rea en même temps que l’ensemble du contexte.
L’actus reus est établi si une personneraisonnable tout à fait consciente des circonstances dans lesquelles les mots ont été proférés ou transmis les avait perçus comme unemenace de mort ou de lésions corporelles : R. c. McRae, 2013 CSC 68, [2013] 3 R.C.S. 931. Pour établir la mens rea de l’infraction,l’accusé doit avoir souhaité que les mots employés intimident ou soient pris au sérieux. En l’espèce, l’actus reus des événements a étéclairement présenté.
La juge du procès a indiqué s’être fiée au témoignage de A. au sujet des menaces et avoir été convaincue que M.L. aproféré les mots qui lui sont reprochés. [31] Un examen du dossier révèle que la juge du procès a fait les observations suivantes : Et quatre, les menaces, autant que les menaces sont un peu vagues, je suis quand même satisfaite et la défense n’a jamais vraimenttouché a part du fait que « ça pas été dit ou je ne l’aurais jamais dit ça; » je suis satisfaite. Elle l’a dit à plusieurs reprises que ça été dit.Qu’il aurait dit à un moment donné c’est que « je vais te blesser toi et ta famille ».
Ensuite y’a dit « je vais te faire du mal ». Je suissatisfaite qu’il aurait proféré ces menaces. Donc, sur chacun des chefs, [M.L.], je vous trouve coupable. Une personne raisonnable placée dans ces circonstances aurait perçu les mots proférés à A. par M.L., selon lesquels il ferait du mal à A.ou à sa famille, comme une menace de lésion corporelle. [32] La Cour suprême, dans l’arrêt R. c.
R.E.M., 2008 CSC 51, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3, s’exprime en ces termes : La cour d’appel doit se demander, en faisant preuve de retenue, si les motifs considérés avec la preuve versée au dossier, les observationsdes avocats et les questions en litige au procès font ressortir le fondement du verdict. Elle doit examiner les motifs dans leur contexteglobal. Elle doit déterminer si, de ce point de vue, le juge du procès semble avoir saisi l’essentiel des questions fondamentales en litigeau procès.
Si les éléments de preuve sont embrouillés ou contradictoires, la cour d’appel doit se demander si le juge du procès amanifestement relevé et résolu les contradictions. En présence d’une question de droit épineuse ou de droit nouveau, elle doit sedemander si le juge du procès a relevé et résolu cette question. Si les réponses à ces questions sont affirmatives, les motifs ne sont pas déficients, malgré l’absence de détails et malgré le fait qu’ilssoient loin d’être parfaits.
On ne doit pas conclure que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit parce qu’il a omis de décrirechaque facteur qui l’a mené à une conclusion sur la crédibilité, ou à la conclusion de culpabilité ou d’innocence. On ne doit pas non plusconclure à l’erreur de droit parce que le juge du procès a omis de concilier chacune des faiblesses de la preuve ou de faire allusion àchaque principe de droit applicable. Nul n’est besoin d’énoncer les inférences raisonnables.
Si, par exemple, dans une cause dont l’issuerepose sur la crédibilité, le juge du procès explique avoir écarté la preuve offerte par l’accusé, mais ne précise pas qu’il a un douteraisonnable, il ne s’agit pas d’une erreur de droit. En pareil cas, la déclaration de culpabilité permet en soi d’inférer que la preuve del’accusé ne soulève pas un doute raisonnable. Enfin, les cours d’appel doivent se garder de simplement passer le dossier en revue etsubstituer leur propre analyse de la preuve à celle du juge du procès parce que les motifs ne correspondent pas à l’idée qu’ils se font demotifs parfaits.
Comme l’a établi l’arrêt Harper c.
La Reine, (CSC), [1982] 1 R.C.S. 2, p. 14, « [u]n tribunal d’appel n’ani le devoir ni le droit d’apprécier à nouveau les preuves produites au procès afin de décider de la culpabilité ou de l’innocence. […] S’ilse dégage du dossier, ainsi que des motifs de jugement, qu’il y a eu omission d’apprécier des éléments de preuve pertinents et, plusparticulièrement, qu’on a fait entièrement abstraction de ces éléments, le tribunal chargé de révision doit alors intervenir ». [par. 55-56] [33] Bien que les motifs de la juge aient été très brefs en ce qui concerne la déclaration de culpabilité pour avoirproféré des menaces, ils n’empêchent pas l’examen en appel.
Sa décision quant à la culpabilité repose sur son acceptation du témoignagede la victime. Ses commentaires répondent aux questions dont elle était saisie et se fondent sur la preuve et les observations formuléespar les avocats au cours de l’audience. [34] Rien ne justifie l’intervention de notre Cour à l’égard de la conclusion de la juge du procès selon laquelle M.L.
a proféré des menaces comme l’allègue la dénonciation. D. Appel contre la peine [35] M.L. demande à notre Cour l’autorisation de porter sa peine en appel. Les facteurs dont il faut tenir comptesont examinés dans l’arrêt R. c.
Lacasse, 2015 CSC 64, [2015] 3 R.C.S. 1089 : À mon avis, la présence d’une erreur de principe, l’omission de tenir compte d’un facteur pertinent ou encore la considération erronéed’un facteur aggravant ou atténuant ne justifiera l’intervention d’une cour d’appel que lorsqu’il appert du jugement de première instancequ’une telle erreur a eu une incidence sur la détermination de la peine. [par. 44] [36] Notre Cour a, à maintes reprises, confirmé que la norme de contrôle de la peine est celle qui est décrite dans l’arrêt R. c. LeBlanc, 2003 NBCA 75, 264 R.N.-B. (2e) 341.
Selon le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), afin de pouvoirmodifier une peine, la Cour doit répondre par l’affirmative à au moins l’une des questions suivantes : Un certain nombre d’arrêts récents, savoir, notamment, R. c. H.S.L. (2000), 2000 NBCA 54 , 231 R.N.-B. (2e) 358 (C.A.), au par. 28, R. c. Parent (D.) (2001), 2001 NBCA 60 , 236 R.N.-B. (2e) 370 (C.A.), au par. 8, R. c. R.P. (2001), 2001 NBCA 115 , 245 R.N.-B. (2e) 179 (C.A), au par. 11, R. c. Daigle (M.), [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 4 (C.A.), au par. 8, R. c.
Kerton (R.E.) et al. (2002), 2002 NBCA 40 , 250 R.N.-B. (2e) 177 (C.A), au par. 25, et R. c. Kuriya, 2003 NBCA 63 , [2003] A.N.-B. no 336 (Q.L.) [aux par. 20 et 21], appuient la proposition voulant que lorsqu’il y a appel de la peine ou de la sentence,l’intervention soit contre-indiquée à moins que l’on ne réponde par l’affirmative à au moins une des questions suivantes :
(1) La peineest-elle le résultat d’une erreur de droit?
(2) Le juge qui a déterminé la peine a-t-il commis une erreur de principe dans l’exercice de sonpouvoir discrétionnaire?
(3) La peine est-elle manifestement déraisonnable compte tenu de l’objet et des objectifs fondamentaux de ladétermination de la peine (art. 718) ainsi que des principes énoncés aux articles 718.1 et 718.2 du Code criminel? [par. 17] Voir aussi Sa Majesté la Reine c.
Pond, 2020 NBCA 54, [2020] A.N.-B. no 181 (QL). [37] Le quantum des peines prononcées par la juge du procès n’est pas le résultat d’une erreur de droit; elle n’a pascommis d’erreur de principe en exerçant son pouvoir discrétionnaire; les peines pour les infractions de contacts sexuels et d’avoir proférédes menaces ne sont pas déraisonnables compte tenu de l’objet et des principes énoncés aux art. 718 et 718.2 du Code criminel. Lespeines infligées s’inscrivent parfaitement dans l’échelle de peines définie par la jurisprudence récente.
La peine totale infligée estraisonnable et rien ne justifie l’intervention de notre Cour, sauf dans la mesure précisée dans le dispositif. VI. Conclusion et dispositif [38] L’avocat du ministère public a consenti à une prolongation du délai pour faire appel de la déclaration deculpabilité pour exploitation sexuelle (al. 153(1.1)a)) et a accepté que la déclaration de culpabilité soit annulée et que l’acquittement soitinscrit, puisque la victime n’avait pas encore 16 ans lorsque les événements en cause ont eu lieu.
Nous avons accordé la prolongationsollicitée, accueilli l’appel et inscrit l’acquittement. [39] En outre, et pour les motifs énoncés précédemment, je suis d’avis :
a) d’accueillir l’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour le chef d’agression sexuelle et d’ordonner l’arrêt des procédures;
b) d’accueillir la demande d’autorisation d’appel contre la peine prononcée pour les chefs d’agression sexuelle et de contacts sexuelset d’annuler la peine pour agression sexuelle. La peine pour contacts sexuels cesse donc d’être concurrente. Je confirmerais toutefois lapeine de six ans infligée par la juge du procès (à purger consécutivement à toute peine purgée par M.L. au moment du prononcé de lapeine en Cour provinciale);
c) de rejeter l’appel contre la déclaration de culpabilité pour contacts sexuels (al. 151a)) et pour avoir proféré des menaces (al. 264.1(2)a)) et de rejeter la demande d’autorisation d’appel de la peine infligée pour cette dernière infraction (un an consécutivement à la peine pour contacts sexuels). [ 40 ] Toutes les ordonnances accessoires qui ont été rendues par la Cour provinciale demeureraient en vigueur. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I.
Introduction [1] In February 2020, M.L. stood trial for four Criminal Code offences: sexual assault ( s. 271 (a)), sexual interference ( s. 151 (a)), sexual exploitation (s. 153(1.1)(a)), and uttering threats (s. 264.1(2)(a)). These offences were alleged to have taken place between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2014, “at or near Eel River Crossing in the Province of New Brunswick.” [2] On February 12, 2020, M.L. was convicted of all four charges. Subsequently, a stay of proceedings was entered in respect of the charge of sexual exploitation. On February 25, 2020, M.L. was given a total sentence of seven years.
He now appeals these convictions and seeks leave to appeal sentence. [3] Crown counsel consented to an extension of time to appeal from the conviction for sexual exploitation (s. 153(1.1)(a)) and agreed the conviction should be set aside and an acquittal entered, because the victim had not reached the age of 16 years at the time the underlying events took place. We granted the sought-after extension, allowed the appeal, and entered an acquittal. [4] For the reasons that follow, I would:
a) allow the conviction appeal for the charge of sexual assault and enter a stay of proceedings;
b) allow the application for leave to appeal the sentence for sexual assault and sexual interference and set aside the sentence for sexual assault. In the result, the sentence for sexual interference ceases to be concurrent. However, I would confirm the term of six years imposed by the trial judge; and
c) dismiss the appeal against conviction for sexual interference (s. 151(a)) and for uttering threats (s. 264.1(2)(a)) and dismiss the application for leave to appeal the sentence imposed for the latter offence. II. Background [5] M.L.’s convictions result from several instances during which he sexually assaulted, or sexually interfered with, A., his daughter. In 2011, M.L. contacted his former spouse and falsely stated he was seriously ill with cancer and wished to re- establish contact with his children.
He had not maintained consistent contact with them due to his separation from their mother and a period of incarceration. His former spouse agreed, and both children, his daughter, A., and his son, began to visit M.L. sporadically.
[6] The first incident referred to in the Information occurred in 2012, when A. was 11 years of age, in the bathroom of M.L.’s home in Eel River Crossing. A. was told to put on a bathing suit and to get into the bathtub with M.L., who was wearing boxer shorts. Once A. was in the bathtub, M.L. put his hand under her bathing suit and digitally penetrated and fondled her. After they both got out of the bathtub, M.L. pulled his penis out of his boxer shorts and began to masturbate.
M.L. then pulled on A.’s arm in an attempt to put her hand on his penis, but she managed to flee the room before contact was made. [7] The second incident occurred in 2013, at M.L.’s residence, when A. was approximately 12 years of age. A. went to sleep in M.L.’s and his common-law partner’s room. A. was lying on her abdomen when M.L. positioned himself on top of her, removed her pants and began to touch her buttocks and vagina. He then tried to penetrate A. from behind. A. felt his penis enter between her thighs.
A. squeezed her legs shut, and M.L. failed in his attempt. [8] The final incident occurred at M.L.’s home in the summer of 2014. A. was approximately 14 years of age. While seated next to her on the couch, M.L. fondled her breasts and attempted to put his hand down her pants. A. then ran and hid under the staircase in the basement and yelled: “you are not supposed to be doing this to me, you are not supposed to touch me like that.” M.L. agreed to take her home.
M.L. told her, “that’s fine, I am going to take you to your grandmother.” As A. was putting her boots on to leave, M.L. told her: “do not tell this to anyone or I will hurt you.” [9] In 2015, A. provided a statement regarding these incidents to an RCMP officer with whom she was acquainted through an outreach program at her school. She then disclosed the incidents to her mother. On November 21, 2015, M.L. was arrested by the Campbellton RCMP. He was subsequently released on a promise to appear on March 21, 2016.
On March 17, 2016, shortly before the appearance date, an RCMP officer contacted M.L. and told him not to go to court on March 21, 2016. He was told the conditions of his release were still in effect. The file was submitted to Public Prosecution Services in Campbellton for Crown approval on May 30, 2016. On December 15, 2017, M.L. was incarcerated for a term of five years for unrelated sexual offences on a young female. The Information in the present case was sworn on August 27, 2018. [10] M.L.’s first appearance was October 15, 2018, at which time he entered a not guilty plea.
He requested two further adjournments, and the initial trial date was set for April 9, 2019. It was eventually adjourned at M.L.’s request. On February 6, 2020, M.L. brought a pretrial motion requesting a stay of proceedings alleging that his rights under ss. 7 and 11(
d) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms had been breached as a result of a pre-charge delay of 26 months and 28 days and he had been “falsely” placed on release conditions for a total of 20 months and 29 days. The trial judge rejected the motion and proceeded to trial. This ruling was not appealed. [11] The trial occurred on February 6 and 12, 2020. At the end of the trial on February 12, 2020, M.L. was found guilty on the four counts by the trial judge.
On February 25, 2020, M.L. was sentenced to six years of imprisonment on the charge of sexual assault ( s. 271 (a)); six years of imprisonment concurrent on the charge of sexual interference (s. 151(a)); and one year of imprisonment consecutive on the charge of uttering threats (s. 264.1(2)(a)) for a total of seven years of imprisonment to be served consecutively to any sentence he was serving. III.
Grounds of Appeal [12] M.L. appealed against conviction for the three unstayed charges on the following grounds: 1) the trial judge erred in her application of the Kienapple principle; 2) the trial judge erred in law by admitting inadmissible narrative evidence despite the objection of the defence; and 3) the trial judge erred in law in finding M.L. guilty of uttering threats under s. 264.1(2)(a). [13] M.L. also seeks leave to appeal sentence, broadly contending “the trial judge erred in the sentence imposed.”
V. Analysis [14] At the outset of the appeal hearing, counsel for M.L. raised the issue that, although represented by counsel, hewished to be present via video conference. This would have required an adjournment. Crown counsel consented.
After a brief recess, theCourt decided, under s. 688(2) of the Criminal Code, to deny the adjournment and proceed with the hearing of the appeal and theapplication for leave. [15] As noted, Crown counsel consented to an extension of time to appeal from the conviction for sexualexploitation (s. 153(1)) and agreed the conviction should be set aside and an acquittal entered because the victim had not reached the ageof 16 years at the time the underlying events took place (s. 153(2)). We granted the sought-after extension, allowed the appeal, andentered an acquittal. A.
Kienapple principle [16] The trial judge found M.L. guilty of breaching both s. 271(
a) of the Criminal Code (sexual assault) and s.151(a) (sexual interference), and sentenced M.L. for both offences, albeit concurrently. This is an error as the trial judge failed to stayone of the charges, as instructed by Kienapple v. R., (CSC), [1975] 1 S.C.R. 729. Crown counsel agreed this was anerror. In Kienapple, the co-accused were convicted of two sexual offences, rape and unlawful carnal knowledge of a female under 14years of age. Laskin J., as he then was, writing for the majority, noted there was an overlap with respect to these offences.
As such, whenthe underlying facts supporting a guilty verdict on both offences are the same, they must be treated as alternatives. He stated, “Therelevant inquiry so far as res judicata is concerned is whether the same cause or matter (rather than the same offence) is comprehendedby two or more offences” (Kienapple, at p. 750). [17] In R. v. Prince, (CSC), [1986] 2 S.C.R. 480, [1986] S.C.J. No. 63 (QL), Dickson C.J.C.,writing for a unanimous Court, explained there are two conditions precedent to the operation of the Kienapple principle.
First, there mustbe a “sufficient factual nexus between the charges” (para. 17); and second, there must be “an adequate legal nexus” between the offences(para. 22). With respect to the charges of sexual interference and sexual assault, it is possible to be guilty of sexual assault and not sexualinterference. When that is not the case, the necessary legal nexus between the offences exists, and they are substantially the same: R. v.S.J.M., 2009 ONCA 244, [2009] O.J.
No. 1130 (QL), at paras. 8-9. [18] Therefore, M.L. should not have been convicted of both charges because they arose from the same acts.Instead, a conviction should have been entered on the more serious charge and the other resolved by stay of proceedings: R. v. J.F., 2008SCC 60, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 215, at para. 93. The Supreme Court has most recently confirmed this in R. v.
R.V., 2021 SCC 10, [2021] S.C.J.No. 10 (QL), where it entered a conviction on a sexual interference charge and a stay on a sexual assault charge, and stated: Moreover, as the Court of Appeal majority observed, correctly in my view, the Crown proceeding on duplicative counts, in jury trialssuch as this one, is a recipe for inconsistent verdicts. Such duplication is particularly illogical where, as here, this Court’s decision inKienapple v. The Queen, (CSC), [1975] 1 S.C.R. 729, will result in at least one of the charges being stayed at thesentencing stage.
The framework I have described outlines a solution to the problem presented by inconsistent verdicts, but the optimalsolution would be for the Crown to avoid needless duplication in the first place (Rodgerson, at para. 45). [para. 79] [Emphasis added.] [19] Since the Kienapple principle applies, the charge for the lesser offence must be stayed in favour of the moreserious (Prince, at para. 33). A review of the jurisprudence indicates courts have lately applied the Kienapple principle to determine thatss. 151(
a) and 271(
a) may be alternative offences and, depending upon the evidence, a conviction may not be entered for both: R. v.S.J.M., 2009 ONCA 244, [2009] O.J. No. 1130 (QL). In R. v. T.Q., 2019 NUCJ 5, [2019] Nu.J. No. 6 (QL), Sharkey J. canvassed thedevelopment of the sexual assault and sexual interference charges to determine which is the lesser offence: In my view, the Kienapple rule must be applied on a more principled basis: a basis which takes into account the specificity and insidiousnature of the crimes involved, as well as the impact of a conviction upon the individual offender. […]
R v Innerebner, 2010 ABQB 188, 39 Alta LR (5th) 131 [Innerebner], is from the first era (2005 until 2012) when sexualinterference carried a mandatory minimum penalty and sexual assault did not. The Court concluded that because of the mandatoryminimum penalty, Parliament intended that the more serious of the two charges was sexual interference. However, the Court also concluded that, independently of the minimum sentence, sexual interference was the more serious of the twooffences because it was essentially [sexual] assault of a minor.
Read J, stated at para 36: Even if I am wrong, however, and Parliament did not intend to indicate merely by imposing a mandatory minimum sentence that themore serious charge is that of sexual interference, to my mind, sexual interference, which presupposes a sexual act on a child by an adult,cannot be said to be less serious than sexual assault. Furthermore ... sexual interference ... more accurately describes the offenceperpetrated by this offender...
R v Hussein, 2017 ONSC 4202, 141 WCB (2d) 231 [Hussein], is a case from today's legislative era wherein the penalties forsexual interference and sexual assault are – when the Crown proceeds by Indictment –identical, both with respect to the maximumpenalty as well as the mandatory penalty. Thus, within the Kienapple paradigm, ‘numbers’ alone were no use in Hussein to determine which of the offences is the most severe orserious – and for which a conviction should be registered.
In Hussein, it was actually the Crown position, which the Defence did not dispute, that sexual interference best captured the nature ofwhat the offender had done. And in Hussein, Code J, decided to follow the “well reasoned” judgment of LeMay J, in the case of R v L(F), 2016 ONSC 1215, wherehe (LeMay
J) stated at paras 21-25: ...In my view, the sexual interference charge is a more precise and complete explanation of the crime that was committed in this case. Itincludes a recognition that the crime was committed against a victim who was a child. This is, in my view, a key element of this case. I am persuaded that the principled approach in Hussein is the correct one when applying the Kienapple rule in serious or high-end factscenarios where an accused is charged with both sexual interference and sexual assault.
And today, in such serious cases, it is clear the appropriate conviction is one for sexual interference. […] In my view, the offence of sexual interference best captures the nature of what a defendant has done, and is a more precise description ofthe crime they have committed.
Indeed, a conviction for the more generic offence of sexual assault tells the public nothing about the ageof the victim – or even the fact the offender has committed a crime against a child. [paras. 48, 50-57 and 60] [20] As explained in T.Q., the recent trend in the jurisprudence has been to treat the interference offence as the moreserious. In R. v. Friesen, 2020 SCC 9, [2019] S.C.J. No. 100, Wagner C.J.C. and Rowe J., writing for the Court, acknowledge that sexualinterference is not a lesser offence: It is an error of law to treat sexual interference as less serious than sexual assault.
As stated above, Parliament has established the samemaximum sentences for both sexual interference and sexual assault of a person under the age of 16. The elements of the offence are alsosimilar, and a conviction for sexual assault of a child and for sexual interference with a child can frequently be supported on the samefactual foundation (R. v. M. (S.J.), 2009 ONCA 244, 247 O.A.C. 178, at para. 8). [para. 120]
[21] Although Crown counsel agreed to substituting a stay of proceedings for sexual interference, this would be a misapplication of the law. As the Supreme Court pointed out in Friesen, sexual interference and sexual assault have identical maximum sentences, and interference is no less serious .
In situations such as these, I would adopt the more “principled approach,” suggested in T.Q. , to determine the relative gravity of two alternative offences . [22] A principled approach would consider the sentencing ranges set out by Parliament, particularly the maximum sentence, and, where one offence carries a higher maximum than the other, this would likely be determinative ( Friesen , at para. 96 ). However, where that is not the case, the court should also consider the specificity of the offence and decide which offence best captures the impugned conduct.
There are situations where the facts might support a conviction for sexual assault, but not sexual interference: R. v. Plehanov , 2020 BCCA 249 , [2020] B.C.J. No. 1473 (QL). As LeMay J. said in R. v. F.L. , 2016 ONSC 1215 , [2016] O.J. No. 844 (QL): The offender argues that the sexual assault charge is the most serious of the charges. I do not agree for two reasons. First, given the age of the Complainant and the fact that the Crown has proceeded by way of indictment, the sentences for both offences are the same.
Second, one of the required elements of the sexual interference charge is that the victim must have been under the age of fourteen at the time that the assaults took place. This is not an element of the offence of sexual assault. This brings me to why a conviction for sexual interference is more appropriate in this case. In my view, the sexual interference charge is a more precise and complete explanation of the crime that was committed in this case. It includes a recognition that the crime was committed against a victim who was a child.
This is, in my view, a key element of this case. [paras. 22-23] [Emphasis added.] [23] In my view, this reconciles the purpose of the Kienapple principle, which is to prevent multiple convictions for the same acts thereby respecting the rule of res judicata, with society’s increased understanding of the severity of crimes committed against children ( Friesen , at paras. 1, 5, 35 and 50-74 ). When a child is abused, the conviction should be for the crime that best encapsulates the nature of the offence committed. Kienapple should not operate so as to obfuscate the gravity of the offence.
I would allow the appeal against the conviction for sexual assault. B. Admissibility of narrative testimony [24] This ground of appeal is raised because A. testified to two incidents of sexual abuse that occurred in Madran, New Brunswick, that were not covered by the Information. M.L.’s defence lawyer objected to this testimony. The trial judge allowed A. to testify, without providing specifics, to incidents that occurred in Madran because the testimony provided context and was the beginning of the history of sexual abuse. She prohibited A. from testifying in full about an incident that occurred in Ontario.
The record reveals the trial judge made statements that indicated she knew the narrative evidence about the “Madran” incidents could not be used for the truth of its content or to corroborate the incidents referenced in the Information. It could only provide context. [25] M.L. submits the judge erred in law in considering A.’s narrative testimony. He argues she erred in admitting A.’s testimony regarding the events that occurred in Madran, as these statements did not qualify as narrative evidence.
The Crown submits the testimony regarding Madran was properly admitted as part of the narrative, and the trial judge was aware of the proper value of this evidence. [26] The trial judge did not err in admitting the testimony regarding the Madran incidents. This testimony described the first instances of abuse. To be admitted as pure narrative evidence, the statements must allow the decision-maker to better understand the chronology of events ( R. v. Khan , 2017 ONCA 114 , [2017] O.J. No. 745 (QL); Bright v. R . , 2020 NBCA 79 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 314 (QL)).
If statements are not essential to the narrative, they will not be admitted. In the case before us, these statements can be considered essential to the narrative. The testimony regarding the events in Madran, while not relating directly to the charges regarding the events that occurred at or near Eel River Crossing, is essential to the narrative as it details the first time A. felt something was not right in her relationship with her father. The trial judge recognized this testimony was not to be admitted as proof the allegations in Eel River Crossing were true; it merely established the narrative.
Therefore, in my view, the admission of the testimony regarding the Madran incidents was not an error of law. [27] M.L. argues that if the testimony regarding the events in Madran was properly admitted, it was improperly
considered in determining his guilt. The Crown says, in considering all circumstances, the trial judge properly treated the Madrantestimony. [28] In R. v. Dinardo, 2008 SCC 24, [2008] 1 S.C.R. 788, the Supreme Court explains: In some circumstances, prior consistent statements may be admissible as part of the narrative. Once admitted, the statements may be usedfor the limited purpose of helping the trier of fact to understand how the complainant’s story was initially disclosed.
The challenge is todistinguish between “using narrative evidence for the impermissible purpose of ‘confirm[ing] the truthfulness of the sworn allegation’”and “using narrative evidence for the permissible purpose of showing the fact and timing of a complaint, which may then assist the trierof fact in the assessment of truthfulness or credibility” McWilliams’ Canadian Criminal Evidence (4th ed. (loose-leaf)), at pp. 11-44 and11-45 (emphasis in original); see also R. v. F. (J.E.) (1993), (ON CA), 85 C.C.C. (3d) 457 (Ont. C.A.), at p. 476). In R. v. G.C., [2006] O.J.
No. 2245 (QL), the Ontario Court of Appeal noted that the prior consistent statements of a complainant mayassist the court in assessing the complainant's likely truthfulness, particularly in cases involving allegations of sexual assault againstchildren. As Rouleau J.A. explained, for a unanimous court: Although properly admitted at trial, the evidence of prior complaint cannot be used as a form of self-corroboration to prove that theincident in fact occurred. It cannot be used as evidence of the truth of its contents.
However, the evidence can “be supportive of thecentral allegation in the sense of creating a logical framework for its presentation”, as set out above, and can be used in assessing thetruthfulness of the complainant. As set out in R. v. F. (J.E.) at p. 476: The fact that the statements were made is admissible to assist the jury as to the sequence of events from the alleged offence to theprosecution so that they can understand the conduct of the complainant and assess her truthfulness.
However, the jury must be instructedthat they are not to look to the content of the statements as proof that a crime has been committed. The trial judge understood the limited use that could be made of this evidence as appears from his reasons: [I]t certainly struck me while the fact that you go and tell somebody that you were molested doesn’t confirm the fact that you weremolested. I’m struck by the manner or the way it came out, tends to confirm [the complainant’s] story – how they were reading thisbook, and how the thing came up about child sexual abuse.
In cases involving sexual assault on young children, the courts recognize the difficulty in the victim providing a full account of events. Inappropriate cases, the way the complaint comes forth can, by adding or detracting from the logical cogency of the child’s evidence, be auseful tool in assisting the trial judge in the assessment of the child’s truthfulness. This was such a case. [paras. 20-22.] [paras. 37-38] [Emphasis in original.] [29] The evidence regarding the Madran incidents was not used to prove or corroborate the occurrence of theincidents in the Information or the veracity of the complaint.
The trial judge, after an objection by defence counsel and arguments madeby both counsel, understood what was at play. She was aware of the implications of admitting this testimony and treated it with thenecessary consideration. In other words, she knew the narrative evidence could not be used for the truth of its content or to corroboratethe incidents alleged in the Information; it could only provide context. In my view, there is nothing to indicate the trial judge used theevidence of the abuse that occurred in Madran to support her determination of guilt.
The record indicates she merely used the narrativeevidence for background respecting the commencement of the sexual abuse in the context leading up to the eventual complaint. C. Threats [30] M.L. submits the trial judge committed an error of law in failing to consider the mens rea of uttering threatsunder s. 264.1(2)(a). The Crown says no such error was committed, as the mens rea was addressed when the judge considered the entirecontext. The actus reus is established if a reasonable person aware of the circumstances would perceive the words as a threat of death orbodily harm: R. v.
McRae, 2013 SCC 68, [2013] 3 S.C.R. 931. In order to make out the mens rea, an accused must have intended for the
words to intimidate or be taken seriously. In this case, the actus reus of the events was clearly presented. The trial judge indicated herreliance on A.’s testimony regarding the threats and was convinced M.L. uttered the words attributed to him. [31] A review of the record reveals the trial judge’s remarks were as follows: [TRANSLATION] And, fourthly, the threats, as much as the threats are somewhat vague, I am nonetheless satisfied, and the defence never really touchedupon them except to say that [TRANSLATION] “that was never said or I would never have said that;” I am satisfied.
She said severaltimes that those words were said. That what he would have said, at a certain point, was [TRANSLATION] “I am going to hurt you andyour family.” After that, he said “I am going to hurt you.” I am satisfied that he did utter those threats. Therefore, with respect to each ofthose charges, [M.L.], I find you guilty. A reasonable person in the circumstances would perceive M.L. telling A. he would harm her or her family as a threat of bodily harm. [32] In R. v.
R.E.M., 2008 SCC 51, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3, the Supreme Court stated: The appellate court, proceeding with deference, must ask itself whether the reasons, considered with the evidentiary record, thesubmissions of counsel and the live issues at the trial, reveals the basis for the verdict reached. It must look at the reasons in their entirecontext. It must ask itself whether, viewed thus, the trial judge appears to have seized the substance of the critical issues on the trial.
Ifthe evidence is contradictory or confusing, the appellate court should ask whether the trial judge appears to have recognized and dealtwith the contradictions. If there is a difficult or novel question of law, it should ask itself if the trial judge has recognized and dealt withthat issue. If the answers to these questions are affirmative, the reasons are not deficient, notwithstanding lack of detail and notwithstanding the factthat they are less than ideal.
The trial judge should not be found to have erred in law for failing to describe every consideration leading toa finding of credibility, or to the conclusion of guilt or innocence. Nor should error of law be found because the trial judge has failed toreconcile every frailty in the evidence or allude to every relevant principle of law. Reasonable inferences need not be spelled out.
Forexample if, in a case that turns on credibility, a trial judge explains that he or she has rejected the accused’s evidence, but fails to statethat he or she has a reasonable doubt, this does not constitute an error of law; in such a case the conviction itself raises an inference thatthe accused’s evidence failed to raise a reasonable doubt. Finally, appellate courts must guard against simply sifting through the recordand substituting their own analysis of the evidence for that of the trial judge because the reasons do not comply with their idea of idealreasons. As was established in Harper v.
The Queen, (CSC), [1982] 1 S.C.R. 2, at p. 14, “[a]n appellate tribunal hasneither the duty nor the right to reassess evidence at trial for the purpose of determining guilt or innocence... Where the record, includingthe reasons for judgment, discloses a lack of appreciation of relevant evidence and more particularly the complete disregard of suchevidence, then it falls upon the reviewing tribunal to intercede.” [paras. 55-56] [33] Although the judge provided very brief reasons relating to the conviction for uttering threats, they do notpreclude appellate review.
She based her finding of guilt on her acceptance of the victim’s testimony. Her comments responded to thequestions before her, based on all the evidence and the submissions by the lawyers during the hearing. [34] There is no reason for this Court to interfere with the trial judge’s determination that M.L. uttered threats asalleged in the Information. D. Appeal against sentence [35] M.L. requires leave from this Court to appeal his sentence.
The factors to be considered are discussed in R. v.Lacasse, 2015 SCC 64, [2015] 3 S.C.R. 1089: In my view, an error in principle, the failure to consider a relevant factor or the erroneous consideration of an aggravating or mitigatingfactor will justify appellate intervention only where it appears from the trial judge’s decision that such an error had an impact on the
sentence. [para. 44] [36] This Court has repeatedly stated the standard of review for sentencing is as delineated in R. v. LeBlanc, 2003NBCA 75, 264 N.B.R. (2d) 341. Drapeau C.J.N.B., as he then was, wrote that the Court must answer at least one of the followingquestions in the affirmative in order to vary a sentence: A number of recent decisions including, among others, R. v. H.S.L. (2000), 2000 NBCA 54 , 231 N.B.R. (2d) 358 (C.A.), atpara. 28, R. v. Parent (D.) (2001), 2001 NBCA 60 , 236 N.B.R. (2d) 370 (C.A.), at para. 8, R. v. R.P. (2001), 2001 NBCA 115, 245 N.B.R. (2d) 179 (C.A.), at para. 11, R. v.
Daigle (M.), [2002] N.B.J. No. 56, [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 4 (C.A.), atpara. 8, R. v. Kerton (R.E.) et al. (2002), 2002 NBCA 40 , 250 N.B.R. (2d) 177 (C.A.), at para. 25, and R. v. Kuriya, 2003NBCA 63 , [2003] N.B.J. No. 336 (Q.L.) (C.A.) [at paras. 20-21], stand for the proposition that intervention on appeal againstsentence is inappropriate unless at least one of the following questions is answered affirmatively:
(1) Is the sentence the result of an errorof law?
(2) Did the sentencing judge err in principle in the exercise of his or her discretion?
(3) Is the sentence clearly unreasonablehaving regard to the fundamental purpose and objectives of sentencing (s. 718), as well as the principles enunciated in sections 718.1 and718.2 of the Criminal Code? [para. 17] See also Her Majesty the Queen v. Pond, 2020 NBCA 54, [2020] N.B.J.
No. 181 (QL). [37] The quantum of the sentences imposed by the trial judge is not the result of an error of law; she did not err inprinciple in the exercise of her discretion; and the sentences for the offences of sexual interference and uttering threats are notunreasonable taking into consideration the purpose and principles set out in ss. 718 and 718.2 of the Criminal Code. The sentencesimposed were well within the appropriate range of sentence according to recent jurisprudence.
The overall sentence imposed wasreasonable, and intervention by this Court is not warranted, except to the extent specified in the disposition. VI. Conclusion and Disposition [38] Crown counsel consented to an extension of time to appeal from the conviction for sexual exploitation (s.153(1.1)(a)) and agreed the conviction should be set aside and an acquittal entered, because the victim had not reached the age of 16years at the time the underlying events took place. We granted the sought-after extension, allowed the appeal, and entered an acquittal. [39] Moreover, and for the reasons set out above, I would:
a) allow the conviction appeal for the charge of sexual assault and enter a stay of proceedings;
b) allow the application for leave to appeal the sentence for sexual assault and sexual interference and set aside the sentence forsexual assault. In the result, the sentence for sexual interference ceases to be concurrent. However, I would confirm the term of six yearsimposed by the trial judge (consecutive to any sentence M.L. was serving at the time of sentencing in the Provincial Court); and
c) dismiss the appeal against conviction for sexual interference (s. 151(a)) and for uttering threats (s. 264.1(2)(a)) and dismiss theapplication for leave to appeal the sentence imposed for the latter offence (one year consecutive to the sentence for sexual interference). [40] All ancillary orders rendered in Provincial Court would remain unaffected.