2017 NBCA 58, 2017 NBCA 58
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 96-16-CA THE NEW BRUNSWICK POLICE COMMISSION APPELLANT COMMISSION DE POLICE DU NOUVEAU- BRUNSWICK APPELANTE - and - - et - JEFF SMILEY RESPONDENT JEFF SMILEY INTIMÉ The New Brunswick Police Commission v. Smiley, 2017 NBCA 58 Commission de police du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Smiley, 2017 NBCA 58 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: November 18, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 novembre 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 206 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 206 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: February 24, 2017 Appel entendu : le 24 février 2017 Judgment rendered: November 23, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 23 novembre 2017
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: James F. LeMesurier, Q.C. For the respondent: Thomas J. Burke, Q.C. and Daniel P.L. Leger Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : James F. LeMesurier, c.r. Pour l’intimé : Thomas J. Burke, c.r., et Daniel P.L.
Leger THE COURT The appeal is allowed, the cross-appeal is dismissed, and the decision of the arbitrator, dated December 2, 2015, is restored. The respondent is ordered to pay costs of $3,000 on the judicial review, and $2,000 on the appeal. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli, l’appel reconventionnel rejeté et la décision arbitrale datée du 2 décembre 2015 rétablie. Il est ordonné à l’intimé de payer les dépens qui sont fixés à 3 000 $ pour le contrôle judiciaire et à 2 000 $ en appel. The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] The New Brunswick Police Commission (the appellant) assumed the processing of a complaint made against Constable Jeff Smiley (the respondent), an officer with the City of Fredericton Police Force, by his Chief of Police. The matter went before an arbitrator, pursuant to the provisions of the Police Act , S.N.B. 1977, c. P-9.2 (the “ Act ”), who ordered the dismissal of the respondent from his position with the Force. The respondent sought judicial review of his dismissal before a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Trial Division.
In a decision dated November 18, 2016, the decision of the arbitrator was removed into the court and quashed. It is from this decision the New Brunswick Police Commission now appeals. The respondent has filed a cross-appeal challenging certain aspects of the reviewing judge’s decision, which upheld findings of the arbitrator with respect to misconduct.
II. Background [ 2 ] The respondent was charged on February 28, 2014, with assault, contrary to s. 266 of the Criminal Code . The charge related to incidents alleged to have occurred on February 17, 2014. It was withdrawn by the Crown prior to trial. However, in connection with that charge, the respondent had executed an undertaking to “abstain from possessing a firearm and to surrender to Fredericton Police Force any firearm in [his] possession”. It was alleged he breached this undertaking, and he was charged on that basis. A trial was held before a judge of the Provincial Court on December 9, 2014.
The breach charge against the respondent was dismissed. [ 3 ] On March 19, 2014, the respondent was served with a Notification of Substance of Conduct Complaint under the Act regarding the complaint made against him by the Chief of Police for the City of Fredericton . [ 4 ] The appellant chose to exercise its authority under s. 26.1(1) of the Act , and took over the processing of the complaint against the respondent on December 17, 2014, having considered it to be in the public interest to do so: 26.1
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Division, if the Commission considers it to be in the public interest, it may, at any time before an arbitrator has been appointed, process a conduct complaint or take over from a chief of police or civic authority the processing of a conduct complaint. 26.1
(1) Nonobstant toute autre disposition de la présente section, la Commission peut, en tout temps avant la nomination d’un arbitre et lorsque la Commission est d’avis qu’il est dans l’intérêt public de le faire, traiter une plainte pour inconduite ou se saisir d’une plainte pour inconduite qui est traitée par un chef de police ou une autorité municipale. [ 5 ] The appellant appointed Darrell Scribner, pursuant to s. 28.1(3) of the Act , to investigate the complaint: 28.1
(3) If the Commission processes a conduct complaint or takes over from a chief of police the processing of a conduct complaint under
section 26.1, it shall appoint as an investigator a police officer of another police force who is of a higher rank than the police officer being investigated, or appoint an investigator from the list it establishes and maintains under
section 26.2. 28.1
(3) Si la Commission traite une plainte pour inconduite ou se saisit d’une plainte pour inconduite qui est traitée par un chef de police en vertu de l’article 26.1, elle nomme, à
titre d’enquêteur, soit un agent de police d’un autre corps de police et qui est d’un grade supérieur à l’agent de police faisant l’objet de l’enquête, soit une personne dont le nom figure sur la liste établie et tenue en vertu de l’article 26.2. [ 6 ] Upon completing its review of the Investigation Report prepared by Mr. Scribner, the appellant determined there was sufficient evidence to establish the respondent had committed breaches of the Code of Professional Conduct . [ 7 ] A Settlement Conference was conducted on April 29, 2015, pursuant to s. 28.7(1) (
a) of the Act , but the parties were unable to reach a settlement. [ 8 ] In a Notice of Arbitration Hearing dated June 5, 2015, the respondent received official notice the appellant was moving forward with the complaint, pursuant to s. 29.4(4) of the Act and s. 9(1) (
b) of the Code of Professional Conduct Regulation , NB Reg. 2007-81. [ 9 ] The Notice of Arbitration Hearing set out “the particulars of the acts or omissions that constitute the alleged breaches of the Code under
section 35 thereof, as disclosed by the Investigation Report”: Count 1 – Discreditable Conduct It is alleged that you, Constable Jeff Smiley of the Fredericton Police Force, engaged in discreditable conduct by committing domestic
violence upon your common law partner, […], on a number of occasions over the period of your relationship, contrary to and in violation of section 36(1)( d )(
i) of the Code . This constitutes a breach of the Code under
section 35(
a) thereof. Count 2 – Party to a Breach of the Code It is alleged that you, Constable Jeff Smiley of the Fredericton Police Force, on or about February 27, 2014, was a party to a breach of the Code when you counselled Constable Samantha McInnis of the Fredericton Police Force to not disclose that you had firearms in your possession while bound by an undertaking to turn over any firearms in your possession, contrary to and in violation of
section 47 of the Code. This constitutes a breach of the Code under
section 35(
l) thereof. Count 3 – Improper Use and Care of Firearms It is alleged that you, Constable Jeff Smiley of the Fredericton Police Force, between December 24, 2013 and February 28, 2014 improperly used and cared for firearms when you failed to exercise sound judgement and restraint in respect to the use and care of firearms in that your Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) expired on December 24, [2013], contrary to and in violation of
section 42(
c) of the Code. This constitutes a breach of the Code under
section 35(
g) of the Code. Count 4 – Improper Use and Care of Firearms It is alleged that you, Constable Jeff Smiley of the Fredericton Police Force, on or about February 27, 2014 improperly used and cared for firearms when you failed to exercise sound judgement and restraint in respect of the use and care of firearms in that you were in possession of a Lakefield Mossberg 12 gauge pump action shotgun loaded with two shells in the magazine, contrary to and in violation of
section 42(
c) of the Code. This constitutes a breach of the Code under
section 35(
g) of the Code. [ 10 ] The arbitration began with a telephone conference call on June 15, 2015. It was agreed the arbitration would recommence in the City of Fredericton on November 2, 2015. Evidence was heard from November 2 nd to 5 th . No oral arguments were heard at the conclusion of the evidence, but the parties provided extensive post-hearing written submissions. [ 11 ] On December 2, 2015, in a 50-page written decision, the arbitrator found all four counts had been made out, and the respondent to be in breach of the Code .
He imposed a disciplinary order, and terminated the respondent’s employment with the Fredericton Police Force. [ 12 ] In his Notice of Application for judicial review, the respondent set out 13 grounds alleging errors in the arbitrator’s decision. Only the last of these, identified as ground “m”, related to the sanction imposed, i.e. dismissal. [ 13 ] With respect to the arbitrator’s determination the respondent was in breach of the Code , the reviewing judge held as follows: Arbitrator Haines’ reasons in regard to breaches of the Code of Conduct are clear and meet the test of reasonableness.
I find the outcome on the discreditable conduct issues is a possible acceptable outcome. […] In Arbitrator Haines’ findings with respect to the conduct complained of and whether or not the reasons were sufficient on the standard of reasonableness to indicate why he reached his conclusions in counts 1-4, I find that Arbitrator Haines did provide justification, transparency and intelligibility in regard to his findings and conclusions […] as I stated previously. [paras. 25 and 32] [ 14 ] However, with respect to the sanction imposed, she had this to say:
[…] the second part of Arbitrator Haines’ decision in regard to Constable Smiley’s dismissal is not justified, transparent and intelligible […] […] […] Arbitrator Haines did not conduct any analysis with respect to disciplinary or corrective measures. There was no discussion of any service record of discipline with respect to Constable Smiley. There were no factors set out for consideration with respect to the severe disciplinary action. There was no discussion of exacerbating circumstances; the finding was simply bereft of reasons and to do so, in my view, is a fatal flaw.
There must be reasons provided, especially when there is no information provided to Constable Smiley on regard to why no other disposition was considered. In assessing the seriousness of the misconduct, the arbitrator must conduct some analysis. He did not. For that reason the decision to dismiss Constable Smiley does not meet the test of reasonableness, and the decision of Arbitrator Cedric L. Haines Q.C. is removed into the Court and quashed. [paras. 25 and 33] III. Issues [ 15 ] The grounds of appeal allege error on the part of the reviewing judge as follows: 1.
By granting judicial review on a ground not raised by the respondent in his written or oral submissions, or otherwise dealt with at the hearing before the reviewing judge, specifically whether termination as imposed by the arbitrator was the appropriate penalty. 2. By considering whether or not the reasons for decision provided by the arbitrator were adequate as a stand-alone ground of judicial review. 3. By finding the reasons of the arbitrator for ordering the respondent’s dismissal were inadequate. 4.
By misapplying the appropriate standard of review by failing to consider whether dismissal was within the range of possible outcomes, and by reviewing the arbitrator’s decision on an issue-by-issue basis. 5. By failing to consider other arguments that could have supported the arbitrator’s decision to order dismissal, and that would bring it within the range of possible acceptable outcomes. 6.
By quashing the decision of the arbitrator rather than remitting the matter to the arbitrator for determination, after finding his decision was otherwise reasonable, and without any determination his decision on sanction was outside the range of possible acceptable outcomes. [ 16 ] The cross-appeal alleges the reviewing judge erred in finding the first twelve grounds set out in the respondent’s Notice of Application, dealing with the misconduct allegations, were subject to the reasonableness standard, and her determination the arbitrator’s findings on point were reasonable. IV.
Law and Analysis [ 17 ] It is my intention to deal with grounds two through five of the Notice of Appeal as an amalgam, and dispose of the matter on that basis. A. The Sanction Imposed
[ 18 ] The arbitrator’s reasons with respect to sanction are at the heart of this appeal, and are set out below: The Code of Professional Conduct provides for a range of disciplinary and corrective measures that may be applied in appropriate circumstances. 6 The parties to a settlement conference may agree to or an arbitrator may impose one of the following disciplinary and corrective measures or any combination of the following disciplinary and corrective measures:
a) a verbal reprimand;
b) a written reprimand;
c) a direction to undertake professional counselling or a treatment program;
d) a direction to undertake special training or retraining;
e) a direction to work under close supervision;
f) a suspension without pay for a specified period of time;
g) a reduction in rank; or
h) dismissal. I note that the range of disciplinary and corrective measures provided for in the Code of Professional Conduct is such as to allow the imposition of measures which would allow a police officer to be reinstated to his or her former position, or even a lesser position, with or without directions. The present matter is not one which I view as warranting a lesser disciplinary or corrective measure than dismissal.
In arriving at this conclusion in this matter, I am satisfied that I have done so on clear, convincing and cogent evidence, that I have considered the evidence before me on the whole, that the difficult task of addressing the evidence of Ms. Burnett has been undertaken by me with a view to determining this matter on a balance of probabilities and that the evidence presented to me supports my conclusions.
I impose the following discipline in accordance with the relevant regulation: Constable Jeff Smiley is hereby dismissed from his employment with the Fredericton Police Force . [paras. 147-151] [ 19 ] Even on a cursory reading of these paragraphs, it cannot be suggested the arbitrator provided extensive reasons for his decision on sanction. Had he done so, the outcome of the judicial review process may well have been different, given the findings of the reviewing judge as set out earlier. That said, the matter is clearly not that simple. B.
The Adequacy of Reasons [ 20 ] This Court has had more than one occasion in the recent past to consider arguments with respect to the adequacy of reasons in administrative law cases, having regard to the jurisprudence emanating from the Supreme Court. [ 21 ] I begin with the analysis provided by Justice Abella in Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union v. Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board) , 2011 SCC 62 , [2011] 3 S.C.R. 708 : Read as a whole, I do not see Dunsmuir as standing for the proposition that the “adequacy” of reasons is a stand-alone basis for quashing
a decision, or as advocating that a reviewing court undertake two discrete analyses – one for the reasons and a separate one for the result(Donald J. M. Brown and John M. Evans, Judicial Review of Administrative Action in Canada (loose-leaf), at ss. 12:5330 and 12:5510).It is a more organic exercise – the reasons must be read together with the outcome and serve the purpose of showing whether the resultfalls within a range of possible outcomes.
This, it seems to me, is what the Court was saying in Dunsmuir when it told reviewing courtsto look at “the qualities that make a decision reasonable, referring both to the process of articulating the reasons and to outcomes” (para.47). In assessing whether the decision is reasonable in light of the outcome and the reasons, courts must show “respect for the decision-making process of adjudicative bodies with regard to both the facts and the law” (Dunsmuir, at para. 48).
This means that courts shouldnot substitute their own reasons, but they may, if they find it necessary, look to the record for the purpose of assessing thereasonableness of the outcome. Reasons may not include all the arguments, statutory provisions, jurisprudence or other details the reviewing judge would havepreferred, but that does not impugn the validity of either the reasons or the result under a reasonableness analysis.
A decision-maker isnot required to make an explicit finding on each constituent element, however subordinate, leading to its final conclusion (ServiceEmployees’ International Union, Local No. 333 v. Nipawin District Staff Nurses Assn., (SCC), [1975] 1 S.C.R. 382, atp. 391). In other words, if the reasons allow the reviewing court to understand why the tribunal made its decision and permit it todetermine whether the conclusion is within the range of acceptable outcomes, the Dunsmuir criteria are met. The fact that there may be an alternative
interpretation of the agreement to that provided by the arbitrator does not inevitably lead to theconclusion that the arbitrator’s decision should be set aside if the decision itself is in the realm of reasonable outcomes. Reviewingjudges should pay “respectful attention” to the decision-maker’s reasons, and be cautious about substituting their own view of the properoutcome by designating certain omissions in the reasons to be fateful. Evans J.A. in Canada Post Corp. v.
Public Service Alliance of Canada, 2010 FCA 56, [2011] 2 F.C.R. 221, explained in reasons upheldby this Court (2011 SCC 57, [2011] 3 S.C.R. 572) that Dunsmuir seeks to “avoid an unduly formalistic approach to judicial review”(para. 164).
He notes that “perfection is not the standard” and suggests that reviewing courts should ask whether “when read in light ofthe evidence before it and the nature of its statutory task, the Tribunal’s reasons adequately explain the bases of its decision” (para. 163).I found the description by the Respondents in their Factum particularly helpful in explaining the nature of the exercise: When reviewing a decision of an administrative body on the reasonableness standard, the guiding principle is deference.
Reasons are notto be reviewed in a vacuum – the result is to be looked at in the context of the evidence, the parties’ submissions and the process.Reasons do not have to be perfect. They do not have to be comprehensive. [para. 44] [paras. 14-18] [22] The following year, in Smith v.
Province of New Brunswick (Department of Public Safety) andNew Brunswick Human Rights Commission, 2012 NBCA 41, 397 N.B.R. (2d) 1, Robertson J.A., writing for this Court, appliedNewfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union: As a starting point, there is a clear difference between failing to provide any reasons and giving reasons which are materially deficient,so as to support an allegation of insufficient or deficient reasons for decision. The distinction is borne out by the Supreme Court’s recentdecision in Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union v.
Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board), 2011 SCC 62, [2011] 3S.C.R. 708, which harkens back to the Court’s decision in Dunsmuir v. New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9, [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190, and itsunderstanding of the review standard of reasonableness. It will be recalled that, in Dunsmuir, the Court held: A court conducting a review for reasonableness inquires into the qualities that make a decision reasonable, referring to both the processof articulating the reasons and to outcomes.
In judicial review, reasonableness is concerned mostly with the existence of justification,transparency and intelligibility within the decision-making process. But it is also concerned with whether the decision falls within arange of possible, acceptable outcomes which are defensible in respect of the facts and law. [para. 47] The above passage led some to believe that the review standard of reasonableness was comprised of two discrete components. Onerelates to the sufficiency of the reasons, while the other asks whether the decision falls within the range of acceptable outcomes.
Writingfor a unanimous Court in Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union, Abella J. rejected the notion that the “adequacy” of reasons was astand-alone basis for quashing a decision or, alternatively stated, that Dunsmuir stands for the proposition that a reviewing court mustundertake two discrete analyses: one for the reasons and the other for the result. Instead, we are cautioned that the reasons must be readtogether with the outcome for the purpose of determining whether it falls within the range of possible outcomes. Quoting from thedissenting reasons of Evans J.A. in Public Service Alliance of Canada v.
Canada Post Corporation, 2010 FCA 56, [2010] F.C.J. No. 272(QL), rev’d 2011 SCC 57, [2011] 3 S.C.R. 572, Abella J. held that reasons do not have to be “perfect”, nor do they have to becomprehensive, nor are they to be reviewed in a “vacuum” (para. 18). The result is to be looked at in the context of the evidence, theparties’ submissions and the process. [paras. 10-11]
[23] The Supreme Court, in Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, Local 30v. Irving Pulp & Paper, Ltd., 2013 SCC 34, [2013] 2 S.C.R. 458, provided further direction. One line in particular stands out in thecontext of the case now before us: […] In the absence of finding that the decision, based on the record, is outside the range of reasonable outcomes, the decision should notbe disturbed […] [para. 54] [24] Our Court cautioned against reviewing courts relying upon an “adequacy of reasons” argumentto overturn an administrative law decision in Dieppe v.
Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4679 and Morin, 2013 NBCA 53,407 N.B.R. (2d) 376: Any use of “adequacy of reasons” analysis in administrative law is exceedingly limited given that the concept of deference toadministrative tribunal decision-making requires “a respectful attention to the reasons offered or which could be offered in support of adecision” (para. 12). [Underlining in original.] These instructions require the reviewing judge, when determining whether a finding fallswithin a range of possible acceptable outcomes, to consider reasons other than those enumerated by the tribunal which would support thefinding.
In light of Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union, I am of the opinion one can draw the following conclusions with respect to theadequacy of reasons analysis in administrative law: 1. Written reasons are not required in every case; 2. If the arbitrator decides to provide written reasons, it is not necessary to refer to every argument, legislative provision, precedent orother detail that the reviewing judge may have considered relevant; 3.
If the reviewing judge disagrees with the arbitrator’s analysis, he or she must consider other arguments that could support thearbitrator’s finding and which would bring it within the range of possible acceptable outcomes. [paras. 24-25] [25] Another useful precedent with respect to sufficiency of reasons is found in J.D. Irving, Limitedv.
North Shore Forest Products Marketing Board et al., 2014 NBCA 42, 422 N.B.R. (2d) 233, in which Robertson J.A., again writing forthe Court, states: Applying the review standard of reasonableness to the Commission’s interpretative decision, I can find no basis to intervene with respectto its ultimate conclusion. In reaching this determination, I have not lost sight of JDI’s argument that the Commission’s decision fails thethreshold standard of review because of an “insufficiency of reasons”. In response, I would draw attention to the Supreme Court’sdecision in Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union v.
Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board), 2011 SCC 62, [2011] 3S.C.R. 708. Therein, the Court rejected the understanding that Dunsmuir stood for the following propositions: (1) the deferentialstandard must be applied independently to both the tribunal’s reasons and the result; and (2) “insufficiency of reasons” is a stand-alonebasis for setting aside a tribunal decision. Instead, “the reasons must be read together with the outcome and serve the purpose of showingwhether the result falls within a range of possible outcomes” (para. 14). Indeed, it was La Forest J. in CAIMAW Local 14 v.
Paccar ofCanada Ltd., (SCC), [1989] 2 S.C.R. 983, [1989] S.C.J. No. 107 (QL), who, 20 years earlier, observed: “The emphasisshould be not so much on what result the tribunal has arrived at, but on how the tribunal arrived at the result” (pp. 1003 to 1004). Another Supreme Court precedent which warrants mention is Construction Labour Relations v. Driver Iron Inc., 2012 SCC 65, [2012] 3S.C.R. 405. Therein, the Court held that tribunals did not have to explicitly address all possible shades of meaning of a statutoryprovision.
Moreover, the Court strongly emphasized that administrative tribunals do not have to consider and comment upon every issueraised by the parties in their reasons. That said, it is reasonable to impose the expectation that a tribunal will deal with those issuesproperly raised and intelligently pursued at the hearing. On the other hand, there are instances where the sheer volume of issues beingraised is but a reflection of those who are never slowed by thought. This is the point where the plea of insufficient reasons for decisionrings hollow.
It is worth noting that, as far as I am aware, the “sufficiency of reasons” argument has yet to be accepted as a decisive factor in anyadministrative law case that has reached the Supreme Court. Assuming the tribunal or administrative decision-maker is obligated to
provide reasons for decision, the law is generous when it comes to deciding what is required to meet that common law obligation. Oneneed only go back to the Court’s seminal decision in Baker in support of that understanding. [paras. 30-32] [26] Finally, our Court, in Enbridge Gas New Brunswick Limited Partnership v. New BrunswickEnergy and Utilities Board et al., 2015 NBCA 65, [2015] N.B.J.
No. 243 (QL), again revisited the principles enunciated inNewfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union: In the case at hand, while the Board admittedly did not provide extensive reasons for its decision on the specific issue of recovery of theshortfall in revenue requirement associated with the imposition of the rate rider which are easily isolated, I am fully satisfied that, havingregard to the full context, the reasons meet the test articulated in Pembridge. The direction provided by Abella J. in Newfoundland andLabrador Nurses’ Union v.
Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board), 2011 SCC 62, [2011] 3 S.C.R. 708, is well worth revisiting: It is important to emphasize the Court’s endorsement of Professor Dyzenhaus’s observation that the notion of deference to administrativetribunal decision-making requires “a respectful attention to the reasons offered or which could be offered in support of a decision”. In hiscited article, Professor Dyzenhaus explains how reasonableness applies to reasons as follows: “Reasonable” means here that the reasons do in fact or in principle support the conclusion reached.
That is, even if the reasons in factgiven do not seem wholly adequate to support the decision, the court must first seek to supplement them before it seeks to subvert them.For if it is right that among the reasons for deference are the appointment of the tribunal and not the court as the front line adjudicator,the tribunal’s proximity to the dispute, its expertise, etc., then it is also the case that its decision should be presumed to be correct even ifits reasons are in some respects defective. [Emphasis in original.] (David Dyzenhaus, “The Politics of Deference: Judicial Review and Democracy”, in Michael Taggart, ed., The Province ofAdministrative Law (1997), 279, at p. 304) See also David Mullan, “Dunsmuir v.
New Brunswick, Standard of Review and Procedural Fairness for Public Servants: Let’s TryAgain!” (2008), 21 C.J.A.L.P. 117, at p. 136; David Phillip Jones, Q.C., and Anne S. de Villars, Q.C., Principles of Administrative Law(5th ed. 2009), at p. 380; and Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Khosa, 2009 SCC 12, [2009] 1 S.C.R. 339, at para. 63. This, I think, is the context for understanding what the Court meant in Dunsmuir when it called for “justification, transparency andintelligibility”.
To me, it represents a respectful appreciation that a wide range of specialized decision-makers routinely render decisionsin their respective spheres of expertise, using concepts and language often unique to their areas and rendering decisions that are oftencounter-intuitive to a generalist. That was the basis for this Court’s new direction in Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 963 v.New Brunswick Liquor Corp., (SCC), [1979] 2 S.C.R. 227, where Dickson J. urged restraint in assessing the decisions ofspecialized administrative tribunals.
This decision oriented the Court towards granting greater deference to tribunals, shown inDunsmuir’s conclusion that tribunals should “have a margin of appreciation within the range of acceptable and rational solutions” (para.47). Read as a whole, I do not see Dunsmuir as standing for the proposition that the “adequacy” of reasons is a stand-alone basis for quashinga decision, or as advocating that a reviewing court undertake two discrete analyses – one for the reasons and a separate one for the result(Donald J. M. Brown and John M.
Evans, Judicial Review of Administrative Action in Canada (loose-leaf), at ss. 12:5330 and 12:5510).It is a more organic exercise – the reasons must be read together with the outcome and serve the purpose of showing whether the resultfalls within a range of possible outcomes. This, it seems to me, is what the Court was saying in Dunsmuir when it told reviewing courtsto look at “the qualities that make a decision reasonable, referring both to the process of articulating the reasons and to outcomes” (para.47).
In assessing whether the decision is reasonable in light of the outcome and the reasons, courts must show “respect for the decision-making process of adjudicative bodies with regard to both the facts and the law” (Dunsmuir, at para. 48). This means that courts shouldnot substitute their own reasons, but they may, if they find it necessary, look to the record for the purpose of assessing thereasonableness of the outcome. [paras. 12-15] I would venture to say the Board’s reasons on the issue in question are not perfect, but they are not required to be.
Read contextually, thereasons provided are intelligible, and there exists a rational connection between the evidence before the Board and the decision rendered.The Board had an obligation to set just and reasonable rates. It did so in 2012. When a valid concern arose with respect to the rates being
charged to the Small General Service class no longer being just and reasonable given market conditions at the time, the Board tookaction and addressed the situation through the imposition of a rate rider. The result was an adjusted rate for the class which, again, wasjudged to be just and reasonable.
Finally, in making its decision on Enbridge’s 2014 rate application, the Board once more discharged itscore statutory responsibility: it established rates and tariffs which, in its considerable judgment, met the just and reasonable requirement.There was no error justifying judicial intervention. [paras. 57-58] [27] I would make a similar observation in the case at bar.
Although the arbitrator’s reasons forimposing dismissal as the sanction against the respondent may not be perfect, they are adequate, and there exists a rational connectionbetween the evidence before the arbitrator, the arguments presented, and the decision rendered. It is helpful, at this juncture, to brieflyrevisit the arguments on sanction presented to the arbitrator. C.
Arguments on Sanction [28] As mentioned, after the hearing of the evidence, the parties provided written submissions withrespect to both the merits of the case against the respondent, and the appropriate sanction to be imposed on the respondent, in the eventthe arbitrator found one or more of the charges against him were made out.
In my opinion, the parties were given ample opportunity toadvance their respective arguments on the question of sanction, and the respondent did not suggest he had been denied that opportunity. [29] For its part, the appellant devoted five pages of its 26-page post-hearing brief exclusively to thesanction question. It provided detailed arguments in support of its position, and directed the attention of the arbitrator to several relevantprecedents in which dismissal was imposed: Armstrong v. Peel (Regional Municipality) Police Services, (ONSCDC), [2003] O.J. No. 3437 (Ont. Div. Ct.) (QL); Galassi v.
Hamilton (City) Police Service, [2005] O.J. No. 2301 (Ont. Div. Ct.) (QL);Rendell v. Canada (Attorney General), 2001 FCT 710, [2001] F.C.J. No. 1015 (F.C.T.D.) (QL); Toronto Police Services Board andToronto Police Assn. (Singh) (Re), [2006] O.L.A.A. No. 784; Lévis (City) v. Fraternité des policiers de Lévis Inc., 2007 SCC 14, [2007]1 S.C.R. 591; and Veinot v. Saskatchewan (Police Commission), [1990] S.J.
No. 283 (Q.B.) (QL). [30] The appellant provided the arbitrator with a clear, well-articulated roadmap to support itscontention that “dismissal is the appropriate sanction in all of the circumstances of this case”. The appellant set out the range ofdisciplinary and corrective measures available to the arbitrator, and placed squarely before the arbitrator the principles of discipline andcorrection as found in s. 3 of the Code:
Principles of discipline and correction 3 The disciplinary and corrective measures agreed to by the parties to a settlement conference or imposed by an arbitrator shall seek to correct and educate the member of a police force who is alleged to have committed a breach of the code under
section 35 rather than to blame and punish the member unless (
a) the disciplinary and corrective measures would bring the administration of police discipline into disrepute, (
b) the disciplinary and corrective measures would bring the reputation of the police force with which the member is employed into disrepute, or (
c) the circumstances make it impractical for the parties to a settlement conference to agree to, or the arbitrator to impose, disciplinary and corrective measures that seek to correct and educate the member. Principes de discipline et de correction 3 Les mesures disciplinaires et correctives sur lesquelles les parties se sont entendues dans le cadre d’une conférence de règlement ou qu’un arbitre impose cherchent à corriger et éduquer le membre d’un corps de police qui est présumé avoir commis une infraction au code en vertu de l’article 35, plutôt que de le blâmer ou de le punir, sauf si :
a) les mesures disciplinaires et correctives sont susceptibles de discréditer l’administration de la discipline policière;
b) les mesures disciplinaires et correctives sont susceptibles de jeter le discrédit sur la réputation du corps de police auprès duquel le membre est employé;
c) les circonstances sont de sorte qu’il est impraticable pour les parties à une conférence de règlement de s’entendre sur des mesures disciplinaires et correctives, ou pour l’arbitre d’imposer des mesures disciplinaires et correctives, qui cherchent à corriger et éduquer le membre. [ 31 ] Throughout all stages of the proceedings against him, the respondent steadfastly maintained he was not guilty of professional misconduct. His position on sanction has been entirely consistent with that approach.
Consequently, the respondent offered little in the way of argument on the question of sanction, as he believed no sanction was called for. In his post-hearing brief, the respondent proffered the following: If the arbitrator feels that punishment is warranted, the Respondent submits that the appropriate punishment should be a seven to ten day period of unpaid suspension. The Respondent refers to the decision of The Chief of Police, City of Saint John Police Force v.
Constable Christopher Messer in support of this sentence. [para. 73] [ 32 ] This position was reiterated in the respondent’s reply brief submitted to the arbitrator: As set out in Cst. Smiley’s written argument, if the arbitrator does not dismiss this hearing on the basis of the jurisdictional error, we would submit that, based on the evidence on the record before the arbitrator, a 7-10 day unpaid suspension would be an appropriate punishment. [para. 43] D.
Conclusion on the Sanction Issue [ 33 ] In my respectful opinion, the reviewing judge was in error when she quashed the arbitrator’s decision on the basis that his reasons for imposing the sanction of dismissal were inadequate. Had she not treated “adequacy of reasons” as a standalone ground of judicial review, and had she looked to the arbitrator’s decision as an organic whole, having regard to the totality of the evidence and the arguments presented, she would have been forced to conclude the arbitrator’s decision to impose dismissal was clearly within the range of possible reasonable outcomes.
[ 34 ] Recall that the reviewing judge had already upheld the findings of the arbitrator on the misconduct charges. It follows she was satisfied the arbitrator had properly considered the evidence and rendered a reasonable decision on the allegations against the respondent. At that point, if she were not fully satisfied with the arbitrator’s somewhat abbreviated comments on sanction, she was obligated to go beyond those four paragraphs at the end of the arbitrator’s decision.
Returning to the words of Abella J. in Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union , the reviewing judge should have looked “to the record for the purpose of assessing the reasonableness of the outcome” (para. 15). Had she done so, she would have found the justification for dismissal she sought. [ 35 ] I would therefore allow the appeal, set aside the decision of the reviewing judge, and restore the arbitrator’s decision. E. Cross-Appeal [ 36 ] It is my intention to deal with the cross-appeal quickly and concisely. I do not find the respondent’s arguments to be persuasive.
If I were to revisit the findings of the arbitrator on the four counts asserted against the respondent, as we are essentially being asked to do by the respondent, this Court would simply be rehearing the original complaint and substituting our views for those of the arbitrator and the reviewing judge. Such is decidedly not our role. [ 37 ] Quigg J.A., writing for the Court in O’Connell, as the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for the Province of New Brunswick v.
Maxwell , 2016 NBCA 37 , 451 N.B.R. (2d) 283 , states : On appeal from judicial review decisions, Courts of Appeal are to step into the shoes of the lower court such that the focus is, in effect, on the administrative decision ( Merck Frosst Canada Ltd. v. Canada (Health) , 2012 SCC 3 , [2012] 1 S.C.R. 23; Agraira v. Canada (Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness) , 2013 SCC 36 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 559; Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Education v. Kennedy et al. , 2015 NBCA 58, [2015] N.B.J. No. 251 (QL) ).
The relevant question is whether the court below identified the appropriate standard of review and applied it correctly. This approach applies to both the question of procedural fairness and to the question of whether the first instance judge chose the appropriate standard of review and applied it correctly.
In effect, courts of appeal are not to show any deference to the decision of the first instance judge, but are to perform their own analysis of what the standard of review should be, as it applies to the administrative decision. [para. 21] [ 38 ] In my opinion, the reviewing judge identified the appropriate standard of review, and applied it correctly. Reasonableness was the appropriate standard, and the reviewing judge was not in error when she found the arbitrator’s conclusions, with respect to findings of misconduct, were reasonable.
Based on my review of the record, I would have come to the exact same disposition as the reviewing judge. I see no basis for appellate intervention, and I would dismiss the cross-appeal. That said, I do feel compelled to comment upon certain of the respondent’s arguments, and wish to make clear three points in particular. [ 39 ] First, the respondent takes issue with the notion that s. 34 of the Code , which sets out the “Standards” to which police officers are held, applies to police officers at all times and in all circumstances. The
section in question reads as follows:
34 It is incumbent upon every member of a police force: (
a) to respect the rights of all persons; (
b) to maintain the integrity of the law, law enforcement and the administration of justice; (
c) to perform his or her duties promptly, impartially and diligently, in accordance with the law and without abusing his or her authority; (
d) to avoid any actual, apparent or potential conflict of interests; (
e) to ensure that any improper or unlawful conduct of any member of a police force is not concealed or permitted to continue; (
f) to be incorruptible, never accepting or seeking special privilege in the performance of his or her duties or otherwise placing himself or herself under any obligation that may prejudice the proper performance of his or her duties; (
g) to act at all times in a manner that will not bring discredit on his or her role as a member of a police force; and (
h) to treat all persons or classes of persons equally, regardless of race, colour, religion, national origin, ancestry, place of origin, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sex, social condition, political belief or activity. 34 Il incombe à tout membre d’un corps de police de faire ce qui suit :
a) respecter les droits de toute personne;
b) maintenir l’intégrité du droit et de son application ainsi que de l’administration de la justice;
c) remplir ses fonctions avec promptitude, impartialité et diligence, conformément au droit et sans abuser de son autorité;
d) éviter les conflits d’intérêts, qu’ils soient réels, apparents ou potentiels;
e) veiller à ce que l’inconduite d’un membre d’un corps de police n’est pas cachée ou ne se répète pas;
f) ne pas rechercher ni accepter des avantages particuliers dans l’exercice de ses fonctions et ne jamais contracter une obligation qui puisse entraver l’exécution de ses fonctions;
g) se conduire, en tout temps, d’une manière à ne pas jeter le discrédit sur son rôle de membre d’un corps de police;
h) traiter également toute personne ou classe de personnes sans distinction de race, de couleur, de croyance, d’origine nationale, d’ascendance, de lieu d’origine, d’âge, d’incapacité physique, d’incapacité mentale, d’état matrimonial, d’orientation sexuelle, de sexe, de condition sociale ou de convictions ou d’activité politiques. [ 40 ] In his written argument, the respondent states s. 34 “does not apply to all police officers, at all times, and in all circumstances”. I strongly disagree.
The suggestion these standards only apply to officers at certain times, and specifically while on duty, is wholly and completely incompatible with the position police officers occupy within our communities, and Canadian society at large. Because of the enormous authority, trust and responsibility we place in or on police officers, which is well known before they pursue such a career, much is expected. In New Brunswick, these expectations have been codified, and are set out above.
In my opinion, where the Code states, for example, that a member of a police force is “to act at all times in a manner that will not bring discredit on his or her role as a member of a police force”, it means exactly what it says: at all times . [ 41 ] Second, the respondent argues a member of a police force who engages in
an act of domestic violence cannot be considered guilty of “discreditable conduct” under s. 36 of the Code since, quoting from the respondent’s written submission, “domestic violence is not a matter that is particularized in the Act , the regulations under the Act or a rule, guideline or directive made under the Act ” (emphasis in original). I categorically reject the respondent’s assertion. As provided in s. 36(1)( d )(
i) of the
Code , a member engages in discreditable conduct if she or he “contravenes a provision of the Act, the regulations under the Act or a rule, guideline or directive under the Act”. The Code itself is embodied within a regulation under the Act .
Section 34, as reproduced above, and specifically s. 34( g ), is unquestionably part of the Code . I have no doubt whatsoever that a member of a police force who engages in
an act of domestic violence can be found to be in violation of the standards of behaviour expected of all members, and therefore be found to have engaged in discreditable conduct. [ 42 ] Third, the respondent, particularly in oral argument, contends s. 42 of the Code , titled “Improper use and care of firearms”, applies only to service weapons issued to a member by his or her police force, and does not apply to personal firearms. The relevant
section states: 42 A member of a police force improperly uses and cares for firearms if the member (
a) when on duty, has in his or her possession any firearm other than one that is issued by the police force to the member, (
b) when on duty, other than when on a firearm training exercise, discharges a firearm, whether intentionally or by accident, and does not report the discharge of the firearm as soon as is practicable, or (
c) fails to exercise sound judgment and restraint in respect of the use and care of a firearm. 42 Un membre d’un corps de police utilise et entretient son arme à feu de façon inappropriée dans les cas suivants :
a) lorsqu’il est de service, il transporte une arme à feu autre que celle qui lui a été délivrée par le corps de police;
b) lorsqu’il est de service, autre que pour un exercice d’entraînement d’arme à feu, il décharge son arme à feu intentionnellement ou par accident et omet de déposer un rapport de l’incident le plus tôt possible;
c) il omet d’exercer un bon jugement et de réserve concernant l’utilisation et l’entretien de son arme à feu. [ 43 ] Again, I strongly disagree. There is no wording in this section, or elsewhere in the Code , or in the Act , that suggests or supports such a limited
interpretation. In my opinion, when the Code references failure “to exercise sound judgment and restraint in respect of the use and care of a firearm”, it means any and all firearms, including those which may be the personal property of the member. Further, while s. 42(
a) and (
b) both contain the phrase “when on duty”, those words do not appear in s. 42( c ). V. Disposition [ 44 ] I would allow the appeal, dismiss the cross-appeal, and restore the decision of Arbitrator Haines, dated December 2, 2015. I would order the respondent to pay costs of $3,000 on the judicial review, and $2,000 on the appeal. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction
[1] La Commission de police du Nouveau-Brunswick (l’appelante) s’est chargée du traitement d’une plainte qui avait été portée contre l’agent de police Jeff Smiley (l’intimé), un agent de la Force policière de Fredericton, par sa chef de police. Conformément aux dispositions de la
Loi sur la police , L.N.-B. 1977, ch. P-9.2 (la « Loi »), l’affaire avait été renvoyée à un arbitre qui a ordonné que l’intimé soit congédié du poste qu’il occupait auprès de la Force policière. L’intimé a demandé le contrôle judiciaire de son renvoi devant une juge de la division de première instance de la Cour du Banc de la Reine. Dans une décision datée du 18 novembre 2016, la sentence arbitrale a été évoquée à la Cour et annulée. C’est cette décision que la Commission de police du Nouveau-Brunswick porte maintenant en appel.
L’intimé a déposé un appel reconventionnel dans lequel il conteste certains aspects de la décision rendue par la juge siégeant en révision, décision dans laquelle elle a confirmé des conclusions de l’arbitre au sujet de son inconduite. II. Contexte [2] Le 28 février 2014, l’intimé a été accusé de voies de fait, une infraction prévue à l’ art. 266 du Code criminel . L’accusation visait des incidents qui se seraient produits le 17 février 2014. Le ministère public a retiré cette accusation avant le procès.
Toutefois, dans le cadre de cette accusation, l’intimé avait signé la promesse de [TRADUCTION] « ne pas posséder d’arme à feu et de remettre à la Force policière de Fredericton toute arme à feu qui se trouve en [sa] possession ». Il a été allégué qu’il n’avait pas respecté cette promesse et une accusation a été portée contre lui sur ce fondement. Un procès s’est déroulé le 9 décembre 2014 devant un juge de la Cour provinciale.
L’accusation de non-respect portée contre l’intimé a été rejetée. [3] Le 19 mars 2014, l’intimé a reçu signification d’un avis du fondement de la plainte pour inconduite prévu par la Loi relativement à la plainte que la chef de police de la ville de Fredericton avait portée contre lui. [4] L’appelante a choisi d’exercer le pouvoir que lui confère le par. 26.1(1) de la Loi et elle s’est saisie de la plainte dont l’intimé faisait l’objet le 17 décembre 2014, après avoir conclu qu’il était dans l’intérêt public de le faire : 26.1
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Division, if the Commission considers it to be in the public interest, it may, at any time before an arbitrator has been appointed, process a conduct complaint or take over from a chief of police or civic authority the processing of a conduct complaint. 26.1
(1) Nonobstant toute autre disposition de la présente section, la Commission peut, en tout temps avant la nomination d’un arbitre et lorsque la Commission est d’avis qu’il est dans l’intérêt public de le faire, traiter une plainte pour inconduite ou se saisir d’une plainte pour inconduite qui est traitée par un chef de police ou une autorité municipale. [5] L’appelante a nommé Darrell Scribner pour enquêter sur la plainte en vertu du par. 28.1(3) de la Loi : 28.1
(3) If the Commission processes a conduct complaint or takes over from a chief of police the processing of a conduct complaint under
section 26.1, it shall appoint as an investigator a police officer of another police force who is of a higher rank than the police officer being investigated, or appoint an investigator from the list it establishes and maintains under
section 26.2. 28.1
(3) Si la Commission traite une plainte pour inconduite ou se saisit d’une plainte pour inconduite qui est traitée par un chef de police en vertu de l’article 26.1, elle nomme, à
titre d’enquêteur, soit un agent de police d’un autre corps de police et qui est d’un grade supérieur à l’agent de police faisant l’objet de l’enquête, soit une personne dont le nom figure sur la liste établie et tenue en vertu de l’article 26.2. [6] Après avoir terminé son examen du rapport d’enquête préparé par M. Scribner, l’appelante a déterminé qu’il existait des éléments de preuve suffisants pour établir que l’intimé avait commis des infractions au Code de déontologie professionnelle . [7] Une conférence de règlement s’est tenue le 29 avril 2015 conformément à l’ al. 28.7(1)
a) de la Loi , mais les parties ne sont pas parvenues à s’entendre. [8] Dans un avis d’audience d’arbitrage daté du 5 juin 2015, l’intimé a été officiellement avisé que l’appelante donnait suite à la plainte conformément au par. 29.4(4) de la Loi et à l’ al. 9(1)
b) du Code de déontologie professionnelle , Règlement du Nouveau-Brunswick 2007-81.
[9] L’avis d’audience d’arbitrage énonçait en ces termes [TRADUCTION] « les détails des actes ou des omissions constituant les infractions présumées au Code , prévues à l’article 35, que révélait le rapport d’enquête » : Chef d’accusation n o 1 – Conduite déshonorante Il est allégué que vous, agent Jeff Smiley de la Force policière de Fredericton, avez adopté une conduite déshonorante en vous livrant à des actes de violence familiale contre votre conjointe de fait, […] à plusieurs reprises pendant votre relation, une infraction prévue à l’alinéa 36(1) d )(
i) du Code . Cela constitue l’infraction prévue à l’alinéa 35
a) du Code. Chef d’accusation n o 2 –
Partie à une infraction au Code Il est allégué que vous, agent Jeff Smiley de la Force policière de Fredericton, avez, le 27 février 2014 ou aux environs de cette date, été
partie à une infraction au Code lorsque vous avez conseillé à l’agente Samantha McInnis, de la Force policière de Fredericton, de ne pas révéler que vous étiez en possession d’armes à feu alors que vous étiez lié par la promesse de remettre toute arme à feu se trouvant en votre possession, une infraction prévue à l’article 47 du Code. Cela constitue l’infraction prévue à l’alinéa 35
l) du Code . Chef d’accusation n o 3 – Utilisation et entretien inappropriés d’armes à feu Il est allégué que vous, agent Jeff Smiley de la Force policière de Fredericton, avez, entre le 24 décembre 2013 et le 28 février 2014, utilisé et entretenu de façon inappropriée des armes à feu lorsque vous avez omis d’exercer un bon jugement et de faire preuve de réserve concernant l’utilisation et l’entretien d’armes à feu en ce sens que votre permis de possession et d’acquisition était arrivé à expiration le 24 décembre [2013], une infraction prévue à l’alinéa 42
c) du Code. Cela constitue l’infraction prévue à l’alinéa 35
g) du Code. Chef d’accusation n o 4 – Utilisation et entretien inappropriés d’armes à feu Il est allégué que vous, agent Jeff Smiley de la Force policière de Fredericton, avez, le 27 février 2014 ou aux environs de cette date, utilisé et entretenu de manière inappropriée des armes à feu lorsque vous avez omis d’exercer un bon jugement et de faire preuve de réserve concernant l’utilisation et l’entretien d’armes à feu en ce sens que vous étiez en possession d’un fusil de chasse à pompe Lakefield Mossberg de calibre 12 dans le chargeur duquel se trouvaient deux cartouches, une infraction prévue à l’alinéa 42
c) du Code. Cela constitue l’infraction prévue à l’alinéa 35
g) du Code. [10] L’arbitrage a commencé par une conférence téléphonique qui a eu lieu le 15 juin 2015. Il a été convenu que l’arbitrage reprendrait dans la ville de Fredericton le 2 novembre 2015. La preuve a été présentée du 2 au 5 novembre. Aucune plaidoirie n’a été entendue à la fin des témoignages, mais les parties ont remis par écrit des observations exhaustives après l’audience. [11] Le 2 décembre 2015, dans une décision de cinquante pages, l’arbitre a conclu que les quatre chefs d’accusation avaient tous été prouvés et que l’intimé avait enfreint le Code .
Il a ordonné la prise de sanctions disciplinaires et mis fin à l’emploi que l’intimé occupait au sein de la Force policière de Fredericton. [12] Dans son avis de requête en révision judiciaire, l’intimé invoque treize moyens selon lesquels la décision de l’arbitre serait entachée d’erreurs.
Seul le dernier de ces moyens, qui est identifié par la lettre « m », avait trait à la sanction imposée, soit le renvoi. [13] En ce qui concerne la décision arbitrale selon laquelle l’intimé avait enfreint le Code , la juge siégeant en révision a déterminé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Les motifs de l’arbitre Haines en ce qui concerne les infractions au Code de déontologie sont claires et répondent au critère de la décision raisonnable. Je conclus qu’en ce qui concerne les questions de conduite déshonorante, la décision rendue appartient aux issues possibles acceptables.
[…] S’agissant des conclusions de l’arbitre Haines en ce qui a trait à la conduite qui fait l’objet de la plainte et sur la question de savoir si ses motifs étaient ou non suffisants, selon la norme de la décision raisonnable, pour expliquer les conclusions qu’il a tirées relativement aux chefs d’accusation n o 1 à 4, je conclus que l’arbitre Haines, comme je l’ai indiqué plus haut, a tiré des conclusions justifiées dans le cadre d’un processus décisionnel transparent et intelligible […]. [par. 25 et 32] [14] Toutefois, s’agissant de la sanction imposée, elle a déclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] la seconde
partie de la décision de l’arbitre Haines qui porte sur le renvoi de l’agent Smiley n’est pas justifiée, transparente et intelligible[.] […] […] L’arbitre Haines n’a effectué aucune analyse des mesures disciplinaires ou correctives. Il n’y a eu aucune discussion d’un dossier de service concernant la discipline au sujet de l’agent Smiley. Il n’y a aucune référence aux facteurs qui ont été pris en considération pour imposer la sanction disciplinaire grave en cause.
Il n’est pas fait état de circonstances aggravantes; la conclusion était tout simplement dépourvue de motifs, ce qui constitue selon moi une lacune fatale. Des motifs doivent être donnés, en particulier lorsqu’aucune information n’est communiquée à l’agent Smiley sur la raison pour laquelle aucune autre sanction n’a été envisagée. Pour évaluer la gravité de l’inconduite, l’arbitre doit se livrer à une certaine analyse. Il ne l’a pas fait. Pour ce motif, la décision de renvoyer l’agent Smiley ne répond pas au critère de la décision raisonnable et la décision rendue par l’arbitre Cedric L.
Haines, c.r., est donc évoquée à la Cour et annulée. [par. 25 et 33] III.
Questions en litige [15] Dans les moyens d’appel, il est allégué que la juge siégeant en révision a commis une erreur : 1. en procédant au contrôle judiciaire en se fondant sur un moyen que l’intimé n’avait pas soulevé dans ses observations écrites ou orales ou qui n’avait pas été abordé lors de l’audience qui s’est déroulée devant elle, à savoir si le renvoi imposé par l’arbitre était la sanction appropriée; 2. en se demandant si les motifs invoqués par l’arbitre à l’appui de sa décision justifiaient à eux seuls le contrôle judiciaire; 3. en concluant que les motifs pour lesquels l’arbitre avait ordonné le renvoi de l’intimé étaient insuffisants; 4. en appliquant mal la norme de contrôle en omettant de déterminer si le renvoi appartenait aux issues possibles, et en examinant la décision de l’arbitre point par point; 5. en omettant de prendre en considération d’autres arguments qui auraient pu étayer la décision de l’arbitre d’ordonner le renvoi et la faire cadrer avec les issues possibles acceptables; 6. en annulant la décision de l’arbitre au lieu de la lui renvoyer pour qu’il se prononce de nouveau, après avoir conclu que sa décision était par ailleurs raisonnable, et sans qu’elle ait déterminé que la décision arbitrale en matière de sanction n’appartenait pas aux issues possibles acceptables. [16] Dans l’appel reconventionnel, il est allégué que la juge siégeant en révision a commis une
erreur en concluant que les douze premiers moyens énoncés dans l’avis de requête de l’intimé, lesquels traitent des allégations d’inconduite, étaient assujettis à la norme de contrôle de la décision raisonnable et en déterminant que les conclusions de l’arbitre à cet égard étaient raisonnables. IV. Droit et analyse [17] Mon intention est de traiter les moyens n os 2 à 5 de l’avis d’appel comme un tout, et de trancher la question sur ce fondement. A.
La sanction imposée [18] Les motifs invoqués par l’arbitre pour justifier la sanction, lesquels sont au cœur du présent appel, sont les suivants : [TRADUCTION] Le Code de déontologie professionnelle prévoit tout un éventail de mesures disciplinaires et correctives qui peuvent être appliquées dans des circonstances appropriées. 6 Un arbitre peut imposer ou les parties à une conférence de règlement peuvent s’entendre sur l’une des mesures disciplinaires et correctives suivantes, ou une combinaison de celles-ci :
a) une réprimande verbale;
b) une réprimande écrite;
c) un ordre de participer à une consultation professionnelle ou à un programme de traitement;
d) un ordre de suivre une formation spéciale ou une formation de recyclage;
e) un ordre de travailler sous surveillance stricte;
f) une suspension sans traitement pendant une période déterminée;
g) une rétrogradation;
h) un renvoi. J’observe que l’éventail de mesures disciplinaires et correctives que prévoit le Code de déontologie professionnelle est tel qu’il autorise l’imposition de mesures susceptibles de permettre la réintégration d’un agent de police à son poste antérieur, voire à un poste inférieur, avec ou sans ordres. Je ne considère pas que l’affaire en cause justifie l’imposition d’une mesure disciplinaire ou corrective moins lourde que le renvoi.
Je tire cette conclusion en l’espèce en ayant la conviction que je me suis fondé sur des éléments de preuve clairs et convaincants, que j’ai pris en considération l’ensemble de la preuve dont je disposais, que je me suis attelé à la difficile tâche de traiter du témoignage de M me Burnett avec l’objectif de statuer sur la présente affaire selon la prépondérance des probabilités et que la preuve qui m’a été présentée étaye mes conclusions.
J’impose la sanction disciplinaire suivante conformément au règlement pertinent : L’agent de police Jeff Smiley est par les présentes renvoyé de son poste au sein de la Force policière de Fredericton . [par. 147 à 151]
[19] Après une lecture même superficielle de ces paragraphes, il est impossible de prétendre quel’arbitre a fourni des motifs détaillés pour justifier la sanction qu’il a décidé d’imposer. S’il l’avait fait, il est très possible que l’issue duprocessus de contrôle judiciaire ait été différente compte tenu des conclusions de la juge siégeant en révision que j’ai citées plus haut.Cela étant dit, il est clair que l’affaire n’a rien de simple. B.
Insuffisance des motifs [20] Dans un passé récent, notre Cour a eu l’occasion, à plusieurs reprises, de se pencher sur desarguments concernant l’insuffisance des motifs dans des affaires relevant du droit administratif en tenant compte de la jurisprudence dela Cour suprême. [21] Je commence par l’analyse à laquelle s’est livrée la juge Abella dans l’arrêt Newfoundland andLabrador Nurses’ Union c.
Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador (Conseil du Trésor), 2011 CSC 62, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 708 : Je ne suis pas d’avis que, considéré dans son ensemble, l’arrêt Dunsmuir signifie que l’« insuffisance » des motifs permet à elle seule decasser une décision, ou que les cours de révision doivent effectuer deux analyses distinctes, l’une portant sur les motifs et l’autre, sur lerésultat (Donald J. M. Brown et John M. Evans, Judicial Review of Administrative Action in Canada (feuilles mobiles), §§12:5330 et12:5510).
Il s’agit d’un exercice plus global : les motifs doivent être examinés en corrélation avec le résultat et ils doivent permettre desavoir si ce dernier fait
partie des issues possibles. Il me semble que c’est ce que la Cour voulait dire dans Dunsmuir en invitant les coursde révision à se demander si « la décision et sa justification possèdent les attributs de la raisonnabilité » (par. 47). La cour de justice qui se demande si la décision qu’elle est en train d’examiner est raisonnable du point de vue du résultat et des motifsdoit faire preuve de « respect [à l’égard] du processus décisionnel [de l’organisme juridictionnel] au regard des faits et du droit »(Dunsmuir, par. 48).
Elle ne doit donc pas substituer ses propres motifs à ceux de la décision sous examen mais peut toutefois, si elle lejuge nécessaire, examiner le dossier pour apprécier le caractère raisonnable du résultat. Il se peut que les motifs ne fassent pas référence à tous les arguments, dispositions législatives, précédents ou autres détails que le jugesiégeant en révision aurait voulu y lire, mais cela ne met pas en doute leur validité ni celle du résultat au terme de l’analyse du caractèreraisonnable de la décision.
Le décideur n’est pas tenu de tirer une conclusion explicite sur chaque élément constitutif du raisonnement, si subordonné soit-il, qui a mené à sa conclusion finale (Union internationale des employés des services, local no 333 c. Nipawin DistrictStaff Nurses Assn., (SCC), [1975] 1 R.C.S. 382, p. 391). En d’autres termes, les motifs répondent aux critères établisdans Dunsmuir s’ils permettent à la cour de révision de comprendre le fondement de la décision du tribunal et de déterminer si laconclusion fait
partie des issues possibles acceptables. Le fait que la convention collective puisse se prêter à une interprétation autre que celle que lui a donnée l’arbitre ne mène pas forcément àla conclusion qu’il faut annuler sa décision, si celle-ci fait
partie des issues possibles raisonnables. Les juges siégeant en révision doiventaccorder une « attention respectueuse » aux motifs des décideurs et se garder de substituer leurs propres opinions à celles de ces derniersquant au résultat approprié en qualifiant de fatales certaines omissions qu’ils ont relevées dans les motifs. Dans Société canadienne des postes c.
Alliance de la Fonction publique du Canada, 2010 CAF 56, [2011] 2 R.C.F. 221, le juge Evansprécise, dans des motifs confirmés par notre Cour (2011 CSC 57, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 572), que l’arrêt Dunsmuir cherche à « [éviter] qu’on[aborde] le contrôle judiciaire sous un angle trop formaliste » (par. 164).
Il signale qu’« [o]n ne s’atten[d] pas à de la perfection » etindique que la cour de révision doit se demander si, « lorsqu’on les examine à la lumière des éléments de preuve dont il disposait et de lanature de la tâche que la loi lui confie, on constate que les motifs du Tribunal expliquent de façon adéquate le fondement de sa décision »(par. 163).
J’estime que la description de l’exercice que donnent les intimées dans leur mémoire est particulièrement utile pour en décrirela nature : [traduction] La déférence est le principe directeur qui régit le contrôle de la décision d’un tribunal administratif selon la norme de ladécision raisonnable. Il ne faut pas examiner les motifs dans l’abstrait; il faut examiner le résultat dans le contexte de la preuve, desarguments des parties et du processus. Il n’est pas nécessaire que les motifs soient parfaits ou exhaustifs. [par. 44] [par. 14 à 18] [22] L’année suivante, dans l’arrêt Smith c.
Province du Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministère de la
Sécurité publique) et Commission des droits de la personne du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2012 NBCA 41 , 397 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1 , le juge Robertson, au nom de notre Cour, a appliqué l’arrêt Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union : Pour commencer, il existe une nette différence entre le défaut de fournir des motifs et la formulation de motifs qui sont substantiellement incomplets de manière à appuyer une allégation voulant que les motifs de décision soient insuffisants ou viciés. Cette distinction est appuyée par la décision récente de la Cour suprême dans l’affaire Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union c.
Terre-Neuve-et- Labrador (Conseil du Trésor) , 2011 CSC 62 , [2011] 3 R.C.S. 708, qui s’inspire de sa décision dans l’affaire Dunsmuir c. Nouveau- Brunswick , 2008 CSC 9 , [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190, et de son interprétation de la norme de contrôle de la décision raisonnable. On se souviendra que dans l’arrêt Dunsmuir , la Cour a affirmé : […] La cour de révision se demande dès lors si la décision et sa justification possèdent les attributs de la raisonnabilité.
Le caractère raisonnable tient principalement à la justification de la décision, à la transparence et à l’intelligibilité du processus décisionnel, ainsi qu’à l’appartenance de la décision aux issues possibles acceptables pouvant se justifier au regard des faits et du droit. [par. 47] Ce passage a amené certaines gens à croire que la norme de contrôle de la décision raisonnable comportait deux éléments séparés, dont l’un se rapporte à la suffisance des motifs alors que l’autre consiste à savoir si la décision appartient aux issues acceptables.
La juge Abella, au nom d’une Cour unanime dans l’arrêt Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union , a rejeté l’idée que l’« insuffisance » des motifs permet à elle seule de casser une décision ou, en d’autres termes, que l’arrêt Dunsmuir appuie la proposition voulant que les cours de révision doivent effectuer deux analyses distinctes, l’une portant sur les motifs et l’autre, sur le résultat. Elle nous avertit plutôt que les motifs doivent être examinés en corrélation avec le résultat dans le but de déterminer si ce dernier fait
partie des issues possibles. Citant les motifs dissidents du juge d’appel Evans dans l’arrêt Alliance de la fonction publique du Canada c. Société canadienne des postes , 2010 CAF 56 , [2010] A.C.F. n o 272 (QL), inf. à 2011 CSC 57 , [2011] 3 R.C.S. 572, la juge Abella a déclaré qu’il n’est pas nécessaire que les motifs soient « parfaits », ni qu’ils soient exhaustifs, et qu’il ne faut pas examiner les motifs dans « l’abstrait » (par. 18). Il faut examiner le résultat dans le contexte de la preuve, des arguments des parties et du processus. [par. 10 et 11] [23] Dans l’arrêt Syndicat canadien des communications, de l’énergie et du papier,
section locale 30 c. Pâtes & Papiers Irving, Ltée , 2013 CSC 34 , [2013] 2 R.C.S. 458 , la Cour suprême a précisé ses directives. Un passage en particulier se distingue dans le contexte de l’affaire en cause : […] En l’absence d’une constatation que la décision, au vu du dossier, se retrouve en dehors du champ des issues possibles raisonnables, elle ne doit pas être modifiée. […] [par. 54] [24] Notre Cour a bien averti les cours de révision de ne pas se fonder sur l’argument de l’« insuffisance des motifs » pour annuler une décision de droit administratif dans l’arrêt Dieppe c. Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 4679 et Morin , 2013 NBCA 53 , 407 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 376 : Tout emploi de l’analyse fondée sur « l’insuffisance des motifs » en droit administratif est extrêmement limité étant donné que la notion de retenue envers les décisions des tribunaux administratifs commande « une attention respectueuse aux motifs donnés ou qui pourraient être donnés à l’appui d’une décision » (par. 12). [Souligné dans l’original.] Cette analyse exige que le juge siégeant en révision, lorsqu’il détermine si une conclusion fait
partie des issues possibles acceptables, considère des motifs autres que ceux énumérés par le tribunal qui appuieraient la conclusion. À la lumière de Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union , je suis d’avis qu’il est possible de tirer les conclusions suivantes au sujet de l’analyse de l’insuffisance des motifs en droit administratif : 1. Les motifs écrits ne s’imposent pas dans tous les cas; 2.
Si un arbitre décide de fournir des motifs écrits, il n’est pas nécessaire de faire référence à tous les arguments, dispositions législatives, précédents ou autres détails que le juge siégeant en révision peut avoir considérés comme étant pertinents; 3. Si le juge siégeant en révision ne souscrit pas à l’analyse de l’arbitre, il faut que le juge considère d’autres arguments qui pourraient appuyer la conclusion de l’arbitre et qui la feraient cadrer avec les issues possibles acceptables. [par. 24 et 25]
[25] Un autre précédent utile en ce qui concerne l’insuffisance des motifs est l’arrêt J.D. Irving, Limited c. Office de commercialisation des produits forestiers du Nord et autres, 2014 NBCA 42, 422 R.N.-B. (2e) 233, dans lequel lejuge Robertson, encore une fois au nom de la Cour, déclare ce qui suit : Si j’applique à la décision interprétative de la Commission la norme de contrôle de la raisonnabilité, rien ne me paraît justifier uneintervention qui en infirmerait le dispositif. Je ne suis pas arrivé à cette conclusion sans tenir compte de l’argument de J.D.
Irving voulantque la décision de la Commission ne satisfasse pas à la norme de contrôle préliminaire du fait d’une « insuffisance de motifs ». Jerappellerai, pour réponse à cet argument, l’arrêt rendu par la Cour suprême dans Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union c. Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador (Conseil du Trésor), 2011 CSC 62, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 708.
La Cour suprême y a rejeté l’idée que Dunsmuir signifiait cequi suit : (1) la norme déférente doit être appliquée indépendamment, d’une part aux motifs du tribunal administratif, d’autre part aurésultat; (2) l’« insuffisance des motifs » permet à elle seule d’annuler la décision d’un tribunal administratif. Au contraire, « les motifsdoivent être examinés en corrélation avec le résultat et ils doivent permettre de savoir si ce dernier fait
partie des issues possibles »(par. 14). D’ailleurs, comme le juge La Forest l’avait fait remarquer vingt ans auparavant dans CAIMAW c. Paccar of Canada Ltd., (SCC), [1989] 2 R.C.S. 983, [1989] A.C.S. no 107 (QL) : « L’accent devrait être mis non pas sur le résultat auquel est arrivéle tribunal, mais plutôt sur la façon dont le tribunal est arrivé à ce résultat » (p. 1003 et 1004). Il y a lieu de mentionner ici un autre précédent de la Cour suprême : Construction Labour Relations c. Driver Iron Inc., 2012 CSC 65,[2012] 3 R.C.S. 405.
Dans cet arrêt, la Cour a conclu que les tribunaux administratifs ne sont pas tenus de traiter expressément de toutesles interprétations possibles d’une disposition législative. Elle a insisté fortement, aussi, sur le fait qu’un tribunal administratif n’a pasl’obligation d’examiner et de commenter, dans ses motifs, chaque argument soulevé par les parties. Cela dit, il est raisonnable d’exigerqu’on puisse s’attendre du tribunal administratif qu’il se penche sur les questions soulevées à bon droit et plaidées intelligemment aucours de l’audience.
D’un autre côté, il arrive que la profusion des questions soulevées ne trahisse que l’irréflexion du plaideur. C’estalors que le plaidoyer de motifs insuffisants paraît vide. Il est à noter que l’argument d’« insuffisance des motifs », autant que je sache, n’a encore été admis pour facteur décisif dans aucuneaffaire de droit administratif parvenue à la Cour suprême. À supposer que le tribunal ou le décisionnaire administratif ait l’obligation deproduire des motifs, le droit se montre généreux lorsqu’il s’agit de déterminer ce qui satisfait à cette obligation de common law.
Il suffitde se reporter à l’arrêt apériteur que la Cour a rendu dans Baker pour trouver un appui à ce point de vue. [par. 30 à 32] [26] Enfin, dans l’arrêt Enbridge Gas New Brunswick Limited Partnership c. Commission de l’énergie et des services publics du Nouveau-Brunswick et autres, 2015 NBCA 65, [2015] A.N.-B. no 243 (QL), notre Cour a réexaminéles principes énoncés dans Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union : En l’espèce, bien que la Commission n’ait sans doute pas fourni de longs motifs facilement repérables expliquant sa décision sur laquestion précise du recouvrement du manque à gagner au
titre des besoins en revenus qui a découlé de l’adoption de l’avenant detarification, je suis parfaitement convaincu que, compte tenu du contexte dans son ensemble, les motifs donnés satisfont au critère énoncédans l’arrêt Pembridge. Il est tout à fait indiqué de faire de nouveau état des orientations qu’a données la juge Abella dans l’arrêtNewfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union c.
Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador (Conseil du Trésor), 2011 CSC 62, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 708 : Il importe de souligner que la Cour a souscrit à l’observation du professeur Dyzenhaus selon laquelle la notion de retenue envers lesdécisions des tribunaux administratifs commande [TRADUCTION] « une attention respectueuse aux motifs donnés ou qui pourraientêtre donnés à l’appui d’une décision ». Dans son
article cité par la Cour, le professeur Dyzenhaus explique en ces termes comment lecaractère raisonnable se rapporte aux motifs : [TRADUCTION] Le « caractère raisonnable » s’entend ici du fait que les motifs étayent, effectivement ou en principe, la conclusion.Autrement dit, même si les motifs qui ont en fait été donnés ne semblent pas tout à fait convenables pour étayer la décision, la cour dejustice doit d’abord chercher à les compléter avant de tenter de les contrecarrer.
Car s’il est vrai que parmi les motifs pour lesquels il y alieu de faire preuve de retenue on compte le fait que c’est le tribunal, et non la cour de justice, qui a été désigné comme décideur depremière ligne, la connaissance directe qu’a le tribunal du différend, son expertise, etc., il est aussi vrai qu’on doit présumer dubien-fondé de sa décision même si ses motifs sont lacunaires à certains égards. [Souligné dans l’original.] (David Dyzenhaus, « The Politics of Deference : Judicial Review and Democracy », dans Michael Taggart, dir., The Province ofAdministrative Law (1997), 279, p. 304)
Voir aussi David Mullan, « Dunsmuir v. New Brunswick, Standard of Review and Procedural Fairness for Public Servants : Let’s Try Again! » (2008), 21 C.J.A.L.P. 117, p. 136; David Phillip Jones, c.r., et Anne S. de Villars, c.r., Principles of Administrative Law (5e éd.2009), p. 380; et Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration) c. Khosa, 2009 CSC 12, [2009] 1 R.C.S. 339, par. 63. C’est dans cette optique, selon moi, qu’il faut interpréter ce que la Cour voulait dire dans Dunsmuir lorsqu’elle a parlé de « lajustification de la décision [ainsi que de] la transparence et [de] l’intelligibilité du processus décisionnel ».
À mon avis, ces propostémoignent d’une reconnaissance respectueuse du vaste éventail de décideurs spécialisés qui rendent couramment des décisions – quiparaissent souvent contre-intuitives aux yeux d’un généraliste – dans leurs sphères d’expertise, et ce en ayant recours à des concepts etdes termes souvent propres à leurs champs d’activité. C’est sur ce fondement que notre Cour a changé d’orientation dans Syndicatcanadien de la Fonction publique,
section locale 963 c. Société des alcools du Nouveau-Brunswick, (SCC), [1979] 2R.C.S. 227, où le juge Dickson a insisté sur le fait qu’il y avait lieu de faire preuve de déférence en appréciant les décisions des tribunauxadministratifs spécialisés. Cet arrêt a amené la Cour à faire preuve d’une déférence accrue envers les tribunaux, comme en témoigne laconclusion, tirée dans Dunsmuir, qu’il doit être « loisible au tribunal administratif d’opter pour