2019 NBCA 43, 2019 NBCA 43
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 126-18-CA NORON INC. APPELLANT NORON INC. APPELANTE - and - - et - CITY OF DIEPPE RESPONDENT VILLE DE DIEPPE INTIMÉE Noron Inc. v. City of Dieppe, 2019 NBCA 43 Noron Inc. c.
Ville de Dieppe, 2019 NBCA 43 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: November 16, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 16 novembre 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 208 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 208
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Supreme Court of Canada: [2017] S.C.C.A. No. 454 Court of Appeal: 2017 NBCA 38 Court of Queen’s Bench: 2016 NBQB 82 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour suprême du Canada : [2017] C.S.C.R. n o 454 Cour d’appel : 2017 NBCA 38 Cour du Banc de la Reine : 2016 NBBR 82 Appeal heard: April 9, 2019 Appel entendu : le 9 avril 2019 Judgment rendered: June 13, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 13 juin 2019 Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: André G. Richard, Q.C. and Josie H.
Marks For the respondent: Paul Landry and Lizon Chiasson-Foulem Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : André G. Richard, c.r., et Josie H. Marks Pour l’intimée : Paul Landry et Lizon Chiasson-Foulem THE COURT The appeal is allowed. Noron is entitled to judgment in the amount of $1,488,432.76 with costs in the court below in accordance with Scale 3 of Tariff A of Rule 59 of the Rules, and costs of 40% of the sum determined under that scale on appeal. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli.
Noron a droit à ce que jugement soit rendu en sa faveur devant le tribunal d’instance inférieure pour la somme de 1 488 432,76 $ avec dépens fixés suivant l’échelle 3 du tarif « A » de la règle 59 des Règles de procédure et, en appel, à des dépens correspondant à 40 % du montant déterminé suivant cette échelle. The judgment of the Court was delivered by
LARLEE, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Noron Inc. owns Dover Estates, a mini-home park located in the City of Dieppe, New Brunswick. Dover Estates is a private project, where Noron Inc. (rather than Dieppe) owns and maintains the streets, the fire hydrants, the piping for the sewage system and the water system.
Dover Estates’ water system is connected to the city water supply. [ 2 ] For a period of 16 years Dieppe billed Noron a user-charge for water and sewer services according to its by-law on the same basis as homeowners who were exclusively serviced by Dieppe and it charged the same per unit amount as it does for other residential housing. [ 3 ] After a 30-day trial ( 2016 NBQB 82 , [2016] N.B.J. No. 339(QL)) at which Noron sought a reduction of the amount it owed Dieppe for water and sewage services, the trial judge, Z.R.
Dionne J., dismissed the claim, declared Dieppe was entitled to use a fixed unit cost for billing Noron for water and sewer services at its mini-home park and found in favour of Dieppe in the amount of $1,048,300 (plus costs, disbursements and interest), which included payment up to April 2, 2016. [ 4 ] We overturned the decision ( 2017 NBCA 38 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 231 (QL); leave to appeal denied [2017] S.C.C.A No. 454 (QL)) and found the trial judge made an error with respect to his determination of the average water consumption of the mini-homes at Dover Estates.
We allowed Noron’s appeal in part, and remitted the matter to the trial judge for determination of the assessment of user-charges. He refused to do the assessment, and Noron appeals from that decision. II. Background [ 5 ] Noron owned land in Dieppe and, in 1996, it obtained a rezoning that permitted it to develop the first mini-home park in Dieppe, known as Dover Estates. Dieppe provides services, like all municipalities, including water and sewage. It charges Noron for these services as though they were publicly provided, when, in fact, a portion of the services utilize private infrastructure.
Noron sued, seeking a reduction in the user- charges based on the argument that user-charges must be set in consideration of the use of Dieppe’s services. The trial judge rejected the claim and having done so, did not provisionally assess damages. Noron appealed. There was no stay pending the appeal. Noron paid the judgment plus interest at a rate of 18% per year, Dieppe’s interest charge on overdue accounts. [ 6 ] We reversed the trial judge’s decision on the question of whether the user- charge must be set in accordance with use: We conclude Dieppe has the statutory authority to impose user charges upon Noron.
However, the assessment of the user charges must be undertaken in consideration of the use of the Dieppe services. [para. 27] We remitted the issue of the assessment of user-charges to the trial judge for determination. III. Analysis and Decision [ 7 ] The trial judge, in his second decision, 2018 NBQB 208 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 320 (QL), refused to make an assessment of user-charges even though he clearly understood what was being asked of him:
[TRANSLATION] In its disposition of September 17, 2017, the Court of Appeal directs this trial judge to carry out an “assessment of user-charges”. The issue here is “water and sewer” services. [para. 19] [ 8 ] He found that Noron did not present satisfactory evidence allowing him to evaluate its water usage, and that, even if it had, he would not have intervened in Noron’s favour for numerous reasons. He did not refer to nor did he make any findings in relation to the expert evidence before the court on this issue.
Instead, he expressed his view that assessing the user-charge with reference to Noron’s use of Dieppe services as ordered by the Court of Appeal would have no practical value. He reiterated his conclusion in the initial trial decision that Dieppe is permitted to bill at a rate of 1 unit per mini-home regardless of Noron’s actual use of its services. He is wrong in coming to this conclusion. [ 9 ] The trial judge has erred by failing to determine the issue of the assessment of the user-charge, despite being ordered to do so. This represents an abdication of the trial judge’s function as trier of fact.
When a matter is remitted for determination, the trial court must follow the directions of the appellate court in making that determination: Harle v. 101090442 Saskatchewan Ltd. , 2016 SKCA 66 , [2016] S.J. No. 265 (QL), at para. 21 ; Corlac Inc. v. Weatherford Canada Ltd. , 2012 FCA 261 , [2012] F.C.J. No. 1295 (QL), at paras. 17 and 18 . [ 10 ] There was sufficient evidence to enable the trial judge to make the assessment as ordered. He erred in law and in fact in his assessment of the evidence relating to the appropriate user-charge by failing to:
a) make any factual findings at all with respect to the expert evidence before the Court,
b) attribute any or appropriate weight to the affidavit of Ann-Marie Snyder when this evidence was properly entered, and
c) accept the uncontroverted evidence led by Noron. [ 11 ] In the interests of justice and consistent with the principle of proportionality we, therefore, exercise our powers pursuant to Rule 62.21(1) of the Rules of Court to assess the user-charge, that is, to make the assessment that should have been made in first instance: Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 821 v. Vitalité Health Network (Zone 1B) , 2015 NBCA 3 , 429 N.B.R. (2d) 158, per Drapeau C.J.N.B., as he then was, paras. 55-59.
In doing so, we nevertheless denounce in the strongest of terms the trial judge’s dereliction of duty for having refused to do what the Court of Appeal had directed, that is assess the user-charge. [ 12 ] Noron proffered the affidavit of Ms. Ann-Marie Snyder, the District Manager of the Cross Creek Mini Home Park in Riverview, New Brunswick. She had personal knowledge of the invoices received from the Town of Riverview and paid by Cross Creek for water services. Her affidavit was entered into evidence by consent, pursuant to Rule 55.02 of the Rules . Dieppe confirmed it did not require Ms.
Snyder to appear for cross-examination. The trial judge admitted the evidence without conditions. It was entered to challenge the assumption made by Dieppe that mini-homes consumed, on average, 760 litres of water per day. The Cross Creek invoices showed that, according to the quarterly meter readings of the Town of Riverview during the two-year period prior to trial, average water consumption per mini-home at Cross Creek was 434 liters per day, which is 43% less than the average daily consumption of 760 liters upon which Dieppe’s user-charge of 1 unit is based.
In our decision, we stated this was the only, and best evidence of water consumption by mini-homes before the court. In his first decision, the trial judge discounted the figures provided by Ms. Snyder as speculative and instead, he relied upon hearsay and his own speculation. The trial judge gave no explanation as to why he rejected the best evidence he had before him. We were unable to determine if he had done so for a valid reason. As a consequence, this matter was remitted to the trial judge for his proper disposition. [ 13 ] At the second hearing, the trial judge admitted Ms.
Snyder’s affidavit was the best evidence: [TRANSLATION] In addition, this trial judge agrees with the Court of Appeal that the Affidavit of Ms. Mary Snyder could be described as the [TRANSLATION] “best evidence presented at trial” on the issue of the amount of water consumed by Dover Park. This is merely an indication of how poor the other evidence was on the same issue. [para. 79] [ 14 ] However, he was of the opinion that the affidavit evidence from Ms. Snyder still [TRANSLATION] “fell short of what […] warrants probative value on the point to be proved”.
He then made a series of erroneous or irrelevant conclusions with respect to Ms. Snyder’s affidavit (with attachments):
[TRANSLATION] To begin with, Ms. Mary Snyder’s Affidavit was filed upon the consent of the parties and, therefore, without its admissibility having been verified by the Court. […] Ann-Marie Snyder does not claim any connection, authorization or power to speak on behalf of the Town of Riverview. These eight photocopies of statements were not authenticated by anyone from the Town of Riverview.
No one was called to testify, be it an employee, technician, engineer, or agent, in short not one representative from the Town of Riverview, to offer any explanation that could have lent credence to the information included in these eight reports. Ms. Snyder herself, for what it might have been worth, did not even attempt any explanations or statements going to the circumstances, methods, or anything else that might help the reader to assess the weight to be given to the information found in the eight reports she filed with her Affidavit.
Although included in the evidence at trial, this Affidavit was therefore limited from the outset in terms of its potential because it had many of the elements of hearsay. [paras. 81 and 83-87] [ 15 ] If the trial judge wanted to reject the evidence of Ms. Snyder with respect to consumption of water in mini-homes, he would have had to do so on a reasoned basis. He did not articulate any. Ms. Snyder’s evidence was not only the best evidence, but it was also the only evidence of water consumption of mini-homes before the trial judge.
The Cross Creek mini-home park in Riverview, as a sample size, had the same number of mini-homes in it as that of Dover Estates. The two mini-home parks were built at the same time and had similar infrastructure. Ms. Snyder’s affidavit provided firsthand evidence of water consumption in a comparable park because the water at Cross Creek is metered and invoices are sent out based on the readings. [ 16 ] Dieppe did not lead any evidence of water consumption.
Faced with no contrary evidence and our directive that the Cross Creek data was the best evidence available in the circumstances, the trial judge erred in failing to find, on a balance of probabilities, that average water use of mini-homes in a similar mini-home park is 434 litres of water per day which is 43% less than the figure of 760 litres upon which Dieppe’s user-charge of 1 unit is based. [ 17 ] In his reasons for decision, the trial judge made no findings with regard to the evidence of expert Paul Bradley.
In fact, he did not even refer to Paul Bradley, whom he had qualified as an expert in the field of accounting matters, business valuation and loss quantification. [ 18 ] Mr. Bradley used Ms. Snyder’s evidence of water consumption at a rate 434 litres of water per day to make his monetary calculations.
He conducted a detailed review of the audited financial statements of Dieppe for the 16 years from the inception of Dover Estates in 1997 until commencement of the trial in 2014 to determine the portion of the water user-charges collected by Dieppe for repair and maintenance service that it does not provide to Dover Estates. Water expenses were separated into six categories: administration; transmission and distribution; power and pumping; water purchase; test water source; and billing and collection. Mr.
Bradley determined that from 1997 to 2014 the amount spent by Dieppe on repair and maintenance of infrastructure fluctuated from a low of 34% to a high of 71% with an average of 45% over the 16-year period. In other words, when Dieppe imposed a user-charge of 1 unit, approximately 45% of the amounts collected were used to cover the extra cost of repairing and maintaining public infrastructure, a service that is not provided at Dover Estates. [ 19 ] Mr.
Bradley took a rational approach; he relied on Dieppe’s audited financial statements and actual invoices, with which there is no factual dispute, to arrive at his conclusions. I accept Mr. Bradley’s opinion that approximately 45% of the user- charge paid by Noron is used to cover public infrastructure services that are not provided at Dover Estates.
IV. Conclusion [ 20 ] In his uncontradicted evidence, Mr. Bradley calculated water and sewer consumption at Dover Estates directly from invoices which were entered into evidence. He also quantified the portion of the user-charge that Noron should pay Dieppe for repairs and maintenance of its system. The end result is that the appropriate water and sewer user-charge at Dover Estates is 0.38 units per mini-home, so the charges must be reduced by 62%. For clarity I have attached two appendices, provided by the appellant, to show the pre- and post-trial payments. A.
Water User-Charge [ 21 ] In the initial decision, the trial judge ordered Noron to pay $1,048,300 for water and sewer user- charges. He attributed 55% of this amount ($576,665) for water and 45% ($471,735) for sewer. As stated, the amount was paid in full by Noron and it seeks a 62% reimbursement of those amounts. [ 22 ] Since the trial, Dieppe continued to invoice Noron for water and sewer at a rate of 1 unit per mini-home, and Noron continued to pay.
Noron, therefore, seeks a reimbursement for the amounts paid each year since trial (62% of the portion paid), and I conclude Noron is entitled to reimbursement of 62% of all amounts it paid for water services to date (see Appendix 1 – re: Water User Charges): the total amount of reimbursement from 1997 to 2018 is $835,772.40 with interest at 18% per year. Noron claimed interest on the reimbursement amounts at a rate of 18% compounded annually from the year each payment was made.
They argued the trial judge confirmed that this interest rate is appropriate for certain amounts Dieppe was required to return to Noron in his initial decision and that his discretionary finding of fact is final. Since the trial judge refused to do the assessment we ordered, in my view the amount of interest to be ordered, is no longer his call to make. I would exercise my discretion under the Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2, ss. 45 and 46 and order simple interest of 18% per year on all reimbursement amounts. B.
Sewer User-Charge [ 23 ] The sewer user-charge must undergo a corresponding reduction of 62% to maintain the fixed ratio between water and sewer user-charges. The total reimbursement owing by Dieppe to Noron for sewer charges from 1997 to the end of 2018 is $652,660.36 before interest (see Appendix 2 – Re: Sewer User-Charges). The total amount Dieppe must reimburse Noron is $1,488,432.76. This amount shall be subject to an annual rate of simple interest of 18%. V.
Disposition [ 24 ] I would allow the appeal, order Dieppe to reimburse Noron as indicated above, and award costs to Noron in the court below on an amount involved of $1,488,432.76 in accordance with Scale 3 of Tariff A of Rule 59 of the Rules and costs of 40% of the sum determined under that scale on appeal. APPENDIX 1 Reimbursement Owing for Water User-Charges
Date Payments Made Excess Charge %age Reimbursement Owing Pre-trial payments 1997 $ 809.00 0.62 $ 501.58 1998 $ 5,469.00 0.62 $ 3,390.78 1999 $ 9,322.00 0.62 $ 5,779.64 2000 $ 21,862.00 0.62 $ 13,554.44 2001 $ 29,278.00 0.62 $ 18,152.36 2002 $ 39,150.00 0.62 $ 24,273.00 2003 $ 42,694.00 0.62 $ 26,470.28 2004 $ 46,489.00 0.62 $ 28,823.18 2005 $ 56,742.00 0.62 $ 35,180.04 2006 $ 59,192.00 0.62 $ 36,699.04 2007 $ 46,844.00 0.62 $ 29,043.28 2012 $ 33,891.00 0.62 $ 21,012.42 2013 $ 65,843.00 0.62 $ 40,822.66 2014 $ 78,702.00 0.62 $ 48,795.24 Payment made per order of Initial Trial Decision Nov. 9, 2016 $ 576,565.00 0.62 $ 357,470.30 Post-trial payments 2015 $ 47,416.00 0.62 $ 29,397.92 2016 $ 40,238.00 0.62 $ 24,947.56 2017 $ 74,075.00 0.62 $ 45,926.50 2018 $ 73,439.00 0.62 $ 45,532.18 TOTAL $ 835,772.40 APPENDIX 2 Reimbursement Owing for Sewer User-Charges Date Payments Made Excess Charge %age Reimbursement Owing Pre-trial payments 1997 $ 1,117.00 0.62 $ 692.54 1998 $ 6,648.00 0.62 $ 4,121.76 1999 $ 9,734.00 0.62 $ 6,035.08 2000 $ 12,523.00 0.62 $ 7,764.26 2001 $ 16,771.00 0.62 $ 10,398.02 2002 $ 20,475.00 0.62 $ 12,694.50 2003 $ 24,131.00 0.62 $ 14,961.22 2004 $ 28,971.00 0.62 $ 17,962.02 2005 $ 34,016.00 0.62 $ 21,089.92 2006 $ 37,448.00 0.62 $ 23,217.76 2007 $ 30,831.00 0.62 $ 19,115.22 2012 $ 27,729.00 0.62 $ 17,191.98 2013 $ 52,871.00 0.62 $ 32,780.02 2014 $ 64,393.00 0.62 $ 39,923.66 Payment made per order of Initial Trial Decision Nov. 9, 2016 $ 471,735.00 0.62 $ 292,475.70 Post-trial payments 2015 $ 40,643.00 0.62 $ 25,198.66 2016 $ 36,813.00 0.62 $ 22,824.06
2017 $ 67,285.00 0.62 $ 41,716.70 2018 $ 68,544.00 0.62 $ 42,497.28 TOTAL $ 652,660.36 Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE I. Introduction [1]
La société Noron Inc. est propriétaire du Domaine Dover, un parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles situé à Dieppe, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Le Domaine Dover est un projet privé et c’est Noron Inc. (et non pas Dieppe) qui est propriétaire des rues, des bornes d’incendie, des canalisations du réseau d’égouts ainsi que du réseau d’alimentation en eau et qui en assure l’entretien.
Le réseau d’alimentation en eau du Domaine Dover est raccordé au réseau municipal d’alimentation en eau. [2] Pendant seize ans, conformément à son arrêté municipal, Dieppe a facturé à la Noron, pour des services d’eau et d’égouts, une redevance d’usage du même ordre que celle qu’elle faisait payer aux propriétaires fonciers qui étaient exclusivement desservis par Dieppe et elle facturait le même montant fixe par unité qu’elle facture pour d’autres logements. [3] À l’issue d’un procès de trente jours ( 2016 NBBR 82 , [2016] A.N.-B. n o 339 (QL)), au cours duquel la Noron a sollicité la réduction du montant qu’elle devait à Dieppe au
titre des services d’eau et d’égouts, le juge du procès, le juge Z.R.
Dionne, a rejeté la demande, a déclaré que Dieppe avait le droit d’utiliser un coût unitaire fixe pour facturer à la Noron les services d’eau et d’égouts fournis au parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles et a rendu jugement en faveur de Dieppe pour la somme de 1 048 300 $ (majorée des dépens, des débours et des intérêts), somme qui comprenait les paiements effectués jusqu’au 2 avril 2016. [4] Nous avons infirmé cette décision ( 2017 NBCA 38 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 231 (QL); autorisation de pourvoi refusée [2017] C.S.C.R. n o 454 (QL)) et conclu que le juge du procès avait commis une erreur dans son calcul de la consommation d’eau moyenne des maisons préfabriquées mobiles au Domaine Dover.
Nous avons accueilli en
partie l’appel de la Noron et renvoyé la question de l’évaluation des redevances d’usage au juge du procès. Il a refusé d’effectuer l’évaluation et la Noron interjette appel de sa décision. II. Contexte [5] La Noron était propriétaire de certains biens-fonds à Dieppe et, en 1996, elle a obtenu une modification de zonage qui lui a permis d’aménager dans cette municipalité le premier parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles, connu sous le nom de Domaine Dover. Dieppe fournit des services, dont des services d’eau et d’égouts, à l’instar de toutes les municipalités. Pour ces services, elle facture la Noron comme s’il s’agissait de services publics alors qu’une
partie de ces services est en fait dispensée au moyen d’infrastructures privées. La Noron a engagé une poursuite pour obtenir la réduction des redevances d’usage pour le motif que celles-ci doivent être calculées en fonction de l’utilisation des services de Dieppe. Le juge du procès a rejeté la demande et n’a pas effectué par la suite une évaluation provisoire des dommages-intérêts. La Noron a interjeté appel. Il n’y a pas eu suspension en attendant la décision de l’appel. La Noron a payé la somme constatée par le jugement ainsi que des intérêts calculés au taux de 18 % par année, soit les intérêts qu’impose Dieppe sur les comptes en souffrance.
[6] Nous avons infirmé la décision du juge du procès sur la question de savoir si les redevances d’usage doivent être calculées en fonction de l’utilisation des services : Nous concluons que Dieppe a le pouvoir légal d’imposer des redevances d’usage à la Noron. Toutefois, l’imposition des redevances d’usage doit se faire en fonction de l’utilisation des services de Dieppe. [Par. 27] Nous avons renvoyé au juge du procès la question de l’évaluation des redevances d’usage. III.
Analyse et décision [7] Dans sa seconde décision ( 2018 NBBR 208 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 320 (QL)), le juge du procès a refusé d’effectuer une évaluation des redevances d’usage même s’il comprenait manifestement ce qu’on attendait de lui : Avec son dispositif du 17 septembre, 2017, la Cour d’appel dirige le présent juge de procès à effectuer une « évaluation des redevances d’usage ».
Il s’agit ici de la question des services « d’adduction d’eau et d’égouts ». [Par. 19] [8] Il a conclu que la Noron n’avait pas produit d’éléments de preuve satisfaisants qui lui auraient permis d’évaluer sa consommation d’eau et que, même si elle l’avait fait, il ne serait pas intervenu en faveur de la Noron pour de nombreuses raisons. Il n’a ni fait état de la preuve d’expert produite devant la Cour sur cette question ni tiré quelque conclusion que ce soit relativement à cette preuve.
Il s’est plutôt dit d’avis que l’évaluation des redevances d’usage en fonction de l’utilisation que faisait la Noron des services de Dieppe comme l’avait ordonné la Cour d’appel n’aurait aucune valeur pratique. Il a réitéré la conclusion qu’il avait tirée dans la décision rendue à l’issue du procès initial selon laquelle il est loisible à Dieppe de facturer une taxe fixe d’une unité par maison préfabriquée mobile quelle que soit l’utilisation réelle que fait la Noron de ses services.
C’est à tort qu’il a tiré cette conclusion. [9] Le juge du procès a commis une erreur en ne procédant pas à l’évaluation des redevances d’usage, malgré le fait qu’on lui avait ordonné de le faire. Il s’agit de la part du juge du procès d’un abandon de sa fonction de juge des faits. Lorsqu’une question lui est renvoyée afin qu’il statue sur celle-ci, le tribunal de première instance doit suivre les directives du tribunal d’appel pour statuer sur cette question : Harle c. 101090442 Saskatchewan Ltd. , 2016 SKCA 66 , [2016] S.J. No. 265 (QL), au par. 21 ; Corlac Inc. c.
Weatherford Canada Ltd. , 2012 CAF 261 , [2012] A.C.F. n o 1295 (QL), aux par. 17 et 18 . [10] Il y avait suffisamment d’éléments de preuve pour permettre au juge du procès d’effectuer l’évaluation comme on le lui avait ordonné. Il a commis une erreur de droit et de fait dans son appréciation de la preuve afférente aux redevances d’usage qui auraient dû être perçues en omettant :
a) de tirer quelque conclusion de fait que ce soit relativement à la preuve d’expert produite devant la Cour;
b) d’attribuer une valeur probante appropriée ou quelque valeur probante que ce soit à l’affidavit d’Ann-Marie Snyder alors que ce témoignage avait été régulièrement produit;
c) d’accepter la preuve non contredite produite par la Noron. [11] Dans l’intérêt de la justice et conformément au principe de proportionnalité, nous exerçons donc les pouvoirs qui nous sont conférés à la règle 62.21(1) des Règles de procédure afin d’évaluer la redevance d’usage, c’est-à-dire d’effectuer l’évaluation qui aurait dû être effectuée en première instance : Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 821 c. Réseau de santé Vitalité (Zone 1B) , 2015 NBCA 3 , 429 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 158, le juge Drapeau, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick (tel était alors son titre), aux par. 55 à 59. Ce faisant, nous dénonçons néanmoins avec véhémence le fait que le juge du procès a manqué à ses devoirs en refusant de faire ce que la Cour d’appel lui avait enjoint de faire, c’est-à-dire évaluer la redevance d’usage. [12] La Noron a déposé l’affidavit de M me Ann-Marie Snyder, directrice de district du Cross Creek Mini Home Park situé à Riverview, au Nouveau-Brunswick.
Cette dernière avait une connaissance personnelle des factures reçues de la Town of Riverview et payées par Cross Creek pour des services d’adduction d’eau. Son affidavit a été déposé en preuve du
consentement des parties en vertu de la règle 55.02 des Règles de procédure . Dieppe a confirmé qu’elle n’exigeait pas la comparution de M me Snyder en vue d’un contre-interrogatoire. Le juge du procès a admis cet élément de preuve sans condition. Il a été produit en contestation de l’hypothèse formulée par Dieppe selon laquelle la consommation moyenne des maisons préfabriquées mobiles est de 760 litres d’eau par jour.
Les factures acquittées par Cross Creek indiquaient que, selon les relevés trimestriels des compteurs de la Town of Riverview au cours des deux années qui ont précédé le procès, la consommation en eau par maison préfabriquée mobile était de 434 litres par jour, soit 43 % de moins que la consommation quotidienne moyenne de 760 litres sur laquelle est fondée la redevance d’usage d’une unité imposée par Dieppe. Dans notre décision, nous avons dit que c’était là la seule et la meilleure preuve de la consommation en eau des maisons préfabriquées mobiles qui avait été produite devant la Cour.
Dans sa première décision, le juge du procès n’avait pas tenu compte des chiffres fournis par M me Snyder, les qualifiant de spéculatifs, et s’était plutôt fondé sur une preuve par ouï-dire et sur ses propres conjectures. Le juge du procès n’a pas expliqué pour quelle raison il avait rejeté la meilleure preuve qui lui avait été présentée. Nous n’avons pu déterminer s’il l’avait fait pour une raison valable.
Il s’en est suivi que l’affaire a été renvoyée au juge du procès pour qu’il en dispose comme il se devait. [13] Lors de la seconde audience, le juge du procès a reconnu que l’affidavit de M me Snyder était la meilleure preuve : De plus ce juge de procès est bien d’accord avec la Cour d’appel que cet Affidavit de M me Mary Snyder pourrait être qualifié de : « meilleur[e] preuve présentée au procès » sur la question de la quantité d’eau consommée par le Parc Dover.
Or cela n’est qu’une indication de comment pauvres étaient ces autres preuves sur cette même question. [Par. 79] [14] Toutefois, il était d’avis que le témoignage par affidavit de M me Snyder « demeurait quand même bien en deçà de ce que ce juge de procès estime se mériter une valeur probante sur le point à être prouvé ».
Il a ensuite tiré une série de conclusions erronées ou non pertinentes quant à l’affidavit de M me Snyder (ainsi qu’aux pièces qui y étaient jointes) : Au départ, cet Affidavit de M me Mary Snyder fut versé au dossier par consentement des parties, donc sans que sa recevabilité ait été contrôlée par la Cour. […] Ann-Marie Snyder ne réclame aucun liens, autorisations ou pouvoirs quelconques, de parler au nom de la Town of Riverview. Ces huit photocopies de relevés n’ont pas été authentifié[e]s par quiconque de la Town of Riverview.
On [n’]a présenté aucune personne, ni employé, ni technicien, ni ingénieur, ni agent quelconque, bref absence totale de représentant de la Town of Riverview pour offrir quelques explications que ce soit qui auraient pu donner de la fiabilité à ces informations, incluses à ces huit rapports. M me Snyder, elle-même, pour ce que la chose aurait valu, n’a même pas tenté d’explications ou de déclarations allant aux circonstances, ou aux modalités, ni sur quoi que ce soit qui pourrait assister le lecteur à évaluer le poids à donner aux informations trouvées dans les huit rapports qu’elle produisait avec son Affidavit.
Cet Affidavit, bien que faisant
partie de la preuve au procès, était donc au départ limité dans son potentiel en raison qu’il revêtait bien des éléments du Ouï-dire. [Par. 81 et 83 à 87] [15] Si le juge du procès avait voulu rejeter le témoignage de M me Snyder relativement à la consommation en eau des maisons préfabriquées mobiles, il lui aurait fallu donner les motifs de ce rejet. Il n’en a énoncé aucun. Le témoignage de M me Snyder n’était pas seulement la meilleure preuve, mais c’était aussi la seule preuve de la consommation en eau des maisons préfabriquées mobiles qui avait été présentée au juge du procès.
En ce qui concerne la taille de l’échantillon, le parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles Cross Creek, à Riverview, comprenait le même nombre de maisons préfabriquées mobiles que le Domaine Dover. Les deux parcs de maisons préfabriquées mobiles avaient été construits en même temps et ils avaient une infrastructure semblable. L’affidavit de M me Snyder apportait une preuve directe de la consommation d’eau dans un parc comparable parce que la consommation à Cross Creek est mesurée au moyen de compteurs et les factures sont établies en fonction des relevés.
[16] Dieppe n’a produit aucune preuve de la consommation en eau.
Ne disposant d’aucun élément de preuve établissant le contraire et compte tenu de notre directive selon laquelle les données provenant de Cross Creek constituaient la meilleure preuve offerte eu égard aux circonstances, le juge du procès a commis une erreur en ne concluant pas, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, que la consommation moyenne de maisons préfabriquées mobiles situées dans un parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles semblable est de 434 litres d’eau par jour, soit 43 % de moins que la consommation de 760 litres sur laquelle est fondée la redevance d’usage d’une unité imposée par Dieppe. [17] Dans ses motifs de décision, le juge du procès n’a tiré aucune conclusion en ce qui concerne le témoignage de l’expert Paul Bradley.
En fait, il n’a même pas mentionné le nom de Paul Bradley, qu’il avait reconnu comme expert spécialiste des questions comptables, de l’évaluation des entreprises et de la quantification des pertes. [18] M. Bradley s’est fondé sur la preuve de M me Snyder établissant une consommation en eau de 434 litres par jour pour faire ses calculs monétaires.
Il a effectué un examen détaillé des états financiers vérifiés de Dieppe pendant les seize années comprises entre la création du Domaine Dover en 1997 et le début du procès en 2014 afin de déterminer la part des redevances d’usage pour l’eau que perçoit Dieppe pour des services de réparation et d’entretien qu’elle ne fournit pas au Domaine Dover. Les frais afférents à l’adduction d’eau ont été répartis en six catégories : administration; acheminement et distribution; alimentation et pompage; achat d’eau; source d’eau d’essai; et facturation et perception. M.
Bradley a déterminé que, de 1997 à 2014, le pourcentage des redevances reçues par Dieppe qui était affecté à la réparation et à l’entretien des infrastructures a varié entre un minimum de 34 % et un maximum de 71 %, la moyenne étant de 45 % sur la période de seize ans. Autrement dit, lorsque Dieppe imposait une redevance d’usage d’une unité, environ 45 % des sommes perçues étaient utilisées pour acquitter les frais supplémentaires associés à la réparation et à l’entretien des infrastructures publiques, service qui n’est pas fourni au Domaine Dover. [19] M.
Bradley a emprunté une démarche rationnelle; il s’est appuyé sur les états financiers vérifiés et sur les factures réelles de Dieppe, qui ne font l’objet d’aucun différend factuel, pour en arriver à ses conclusions. Je souscris à l’opinion de M. Bradley selon laquelle environ 45 % des redevances d’usage versées par la Noron servent à payer des services d’infrastructures publiques qui ne sont pas fournis au Domaine Dover. IV. Conclusion [20] Dans le cadre de son témoignage non contredit, M. Bradley a calculé la consommation au
titre de l’eau et des égouts au Domaine Dover directement à partir de factures qui ont été produites en preuve. Il a aussi calculé la part des redevances d’usage que la Noron devrait payer à Dieppe pour les réparations à son réseau et son entretien. En définitive, la redevance d’usage qu’il convient d’imposer pour l’eau et les égouts au Domaine Dover est de 0,38 unité par maison préfabriquée mobile, de sorte que les redevances doivent être réduites de 62 %.
Pour plus de clarté, j’ai joint aux présents motifs deux annexes, fournies par l’appelante, pour montrer les paiements effectués avant le procès et ceux effectués après le procès. A. La redevance d’usage pour l’eau [21] Dans la décision initiale, le juge du procès a ordonné à la Noron de payer 1 048 300 $ au
titre des redevances d’usage pour l’eau et les égouts. Il a affecté 55 % de ce montant (576 665 $) à l’eau et 45 % (471 735 $) aux égouts. Comme nous l’avons vu, la Noron a intégralement payé ce montant et elle sollicite le remboursement de 62 % des sommes payées. [22] Depuis le procès, Dieppe a continué à facturer à la Noron une taxe fixe d’une unité par maison préfabriquée mobile pour les services d’eau et d’égouts et la Noron a continué à la payer.
La Noron sollicite par conséquent le remboursement des sommes payées chaque année depuis le procès (62 % des sommes payées) et je conclus qu’elle a droit au remboursement de 62 % de la totalité des sommes qu’elle a payées pour des services d’adduction d’eau à ce jour (voir l’annexe 1 afférente aux redevances d’usage pour l’eau) : le remboursement total pour les années 1997 à 2018 s’établit à 835 772,40 $ et des intérêts calculés au taux de 18 % par année s’y ajouteront.
La Noron a demandé que les intérêts sur les sommes remboursées soient calculés au taux de 18 % et composés annuellement à compter de l’année où chaque paiement a été fait. Elle a fait valoir que le juge du procès a confirmé, dans sa décision initiale, que ce taux d’intérêt est indiqué dans le cas de certaines sommes que Dieppe devait lui rembourser et que sa conclusion de fait d’ordre discrétionnaire est définitive. Étant donné que le juge du procès a refusé d’effectuer l’évaluation que nous avions ordonnée, j’estime qu’il ne lui appartient plus de décider du montant des intérêts qu’il y a lieu d’accorder.
Je suis d’avis d’exercer le pouvoir discrétionnaire qui m’est conféré par les art. 45 et 46 de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J- 2, et d’accorder des intérêts simples calculés au taux de 18 % par année sur toutes les sommes à rembourser.
B. La redevance d’usage pour les égouts [23] La redevance d’usage pour les égouts doit subir une réduction correspondante de 62 % afin que soit maintenue la proportion établie entre les redevances d’usage pour l’eau et les redevances d’usage pour les égouts. Les sommes que Dieppe devra rembourser à la Noron pour les redevances perçues au
titre des égouts de 1997 à la fin de 2018 s’établissent au total à 652 660,36 $ avant intérêts (voir l’annexe 2 afférente aux redevances d’usage pour les égouts). Le montant total que Dieppe doit rembourser à la Noron s’établit à 1 488 432,76 $. Ce montant sera majoré d’intérêts simples calculés au taux de 18 % par année. V.
Dispositif [24] Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel, de condamner Dieppe à effectuer un remboursement à la Noron conformément aux indications données ci-dessus et d’accorder à la Noron des dépens devant le tribunal d’instance inférieure d’après un montant-clé de 1 488 432,76 $ suivant l’échelle 3 du tarif « A » de la règle 59 des Règles de procédure et en appel, des dépens correspondant à 40 % du montant déterminé suivant cette échelle.
ANNEXE 1 Remboursement exigible au
titre des redevances d’usage pour l’eau Date Sommes payées Trop-perçu, exprimé en pourcentage Remboursement exigible Sommes payées avant le procès 1997 809,00 $ 0,62 501,58 $ 1998 5 469,00 $ 0,62 3 390,78 $ 1999 9 322,00 $ 0,62 5 779,64 $ 2000 21 862,00 $ 0,62 13 554,44 $ 2001 29 278,00 $ 0,62 18 152,36 $ 2002 39 150,00 $ 0,62 24 273,00 $ 2003 42 694,00 $ 0,62 26 470,28 $ 2004 46 489,00 $ 0,62 28 823,18 $ 2005 56 742,00 $ 0,62 35 180,04 $ 2006 59 192,00 $ 0,62 36 699,04 $ 2007 46 844,00 $ 0,62 29 043,28 $ 2012 33 891,00 $ 0,62 21 012,42 $ 2013 65 843,00 $ 0,62 40 822,66 $ 2014 78 702,00 $ 0,62 48 795,24 $ Somme payée en exécution de la décision initiale rendue en première instance 9 nov. 2016 576 565,00 $ 0,62 357 470,30 $ Sommes payées après le procès 2015 47 416,00 $ 0,62 29 397,92 $ 2016 40 238,00 $ 0,62 24 947,56 $ 2017 74 075,00 $ 0,62 45 926,50 $ 2018 73 439,00 $ 0,62 45 532,18 $ TOTAL 835 772,40 $
ANNEXE 2 Remboursement exigible au
titre des redevances d’usage pour les égouts
Date Sommes payées Trop-perçu, exprimé en pourcentage Remboursement exigible Sommes payées avant le procès 1997 1 117,00 $ 0,62 692,54 $ 1998 6 648,00 $ 0,62 4 121,76 $ 1999 9 734,00 $ 0,62 6 035,08 $ 2000 12 523,00 $ 0,62 7 764,26 $ 2001 16 771,00 $ 0,62 10 398,02 $ 2002 20 475,00 $ 0,62 12 694,50 $ 2003 24 131,00 $ 0,62 14 961,22 $ 2004 28 971,00 $ 0,62 17 962,02 $ 2005 34 016,00 $ 0,62 21 089,92 $ 2006 37 448,00 $ 0,62 23 217,76 $ 2007 30 831,00 $ 0,62 19 115,22 $ 2012 27 729,00 $ 0,62 17 191,98 $ 2013 52 871,00 $ 0,62 32 780,02 $ 2014 64 393,00 $ 0,62 39 923,66 $ Somme payée en exécution de la décision initiale rendue en première instance 9 nov. 2016 471 735,00 $ 0,62 292 475,70 $ Sommes payées après le procès 2015 40 643,00 $ 0,62 25 198,66 $ 2016 36 813,00 $ 0,62 22 824,06 $ 2017 67 285,00 $ 0,62 41 716,70 $ 2018 68 544,00 $ 0,62 42 497,28 $ TOTAL 652 660,36 $