2023 NBCA 51, 2023 NBCA 51
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK MINISTER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND LOCAL GOVERNANCE REFORM APPELLANT 61-22-CA MINISTRE DES GOUVERNEMENTS LOCAUX ET DE LA RÉFORME DE GOUVERNANCE LOCALE APPELANT - and - - et - JOANNE PATRICIA MARTIN RESPONDENT JOANNE PATRICIA MARTIN INTIMÉE Minister of Local Government and Local Governance Reform v. Martin, 2023 NBCA 51 Ministre des Gouvernements locaux et de la Réforme de la gouvernance locale c.
Martin, 2023 NBCA 51 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc CORAM : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 30, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 30 mai 2022 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: March 22, 2023 Judgment rendered: June 22, 2023 Reasons for judgments by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Appel entendu : le 22 mars 2023 Jugement rendu : le 22 juin 2023 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlanc Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: J. André Daigle For the respondent: Bernard Valcourt, K.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : J. André Daigle Pour l’intimée : Bernard Valcourt, c.r.
THE COURT The appellant’s motion for leave to amend his Notice of Appeal is granted. The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500 payable to the respondent. LA COUR La motion de l’appelant sollicitant la permission de modifier son avis d’appel est accueillie. L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $ payables à l’intimée. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Motion préliminaire
[ 1 ] Avant l’audition de l’appel, la Cour a entendu une motion par laquelle le ministre des Gouvernements locaux et de la Réforme de la gouvernance locale, l’appelant en l’espèce, sollicite la permission de modifier son avis d’appel afin d’y préciser la mesure de redressement qu’il sollicite, soit : « L’appelant demande que la décision du juge de la requête soit infirmée et que les ordonnances sollicitées dans la requête soient accordées avec dépens. »
Joanne Patricia Martin, l’intimée, s’est opposée à cette motion. [ 2 ] Il est admis au débat que l’avis d’appel original ne se conforme pas à la règle 62.05(1), qui requiert que l’avis d’appel indique les mesures de redressement sollicitées. En l’occurrence, ces mesures peuvent facilement être déduites des moyens d’appel exposés dans l’avis. Il ressort d’ailleurs des mémoires des parties qu’elles se sont toutes deux préparées en fonction des ordonnances que sollicite le Ministre depuis le début de l’instance judiciaire, comme elles sont énoncées dans son mémoire.
M me Martin ne peut donc pas établir qu’elle subira un préjudice si la Cour, dans l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire que lui confère la règle 62.21(4) de permettre toute modification aux actes de procédure, autorise le Ministre à apporter la modification souhaitée. [ 3 ] Lors de l’audience, la formation a indiqué aux avocats des parties qu’elle prendrait la motion en délibéré et que, si elle devait l’accueillir, elle rendrait sa décision conjointement avec sa décision sur l’appel. J’accueillerais la motion du Ministre pour les motifs qui précèdent. Je vais maintenant procéder à l’analyse de l’appel. II.
Introduction [ 4 ] M me Martin a entrepris la construction d’une petite
annexe à son domicile sans avoir d’abord obtenu le permis de construction requis de la Commission de services régionaux Nord-Ouest. Marven Ouellette, un inspecteur des constructions de la Commission, a inspecté les lieux et n’a pas pu confirmer que l’annexe, une fois terminée, se situerait dans les limites de la propriété de M me Martin. Il a estimé que, pour pouvoir le confirmer, il devait demander à M me Martin de produire un certificat de localisation. Le certificat n’a pas été produit.
Le Ministre n’étant pas investi du pouvoir discrétionnaire d’origine législative d’exiger la production d’un certificat de localisation, à la demande de la Commission et par voie de requête fondée sur l’ art. 135 de la
Loi sur l’urbanisme , L.N.-B. 2017, ch. 19 , il a demandé à la Cour du Banc du Roi d’ordonner la production d’un tel certificat. [ 5 ] Le juge saisi de la requête a refusé de rendre l’ordonnance sollicitée, et le Ministre interjette maintenant appel de sa décision . Pour les motifs qui suivent, je rejetterais l’appel. III. Contexte [ 6 ] La propriété de M me Martin est située à la campagne, à Saint-Basile, une municipalité du Nouveau- Brunswick qui bénéficie des services d’aménagement de la Commission. Le 15 juin 2020 ou vers cette date, M me Martin a entrepris la construction d’une
annexe de 10 pieds sur 12 pieds à la place d’une pièce, plus petite celle-là, de son domicile. Le 15 juillet 2020, M. Ouellette a rencontré M me Martin chez elle et a obtenu l’information nécessaire pour qu’elle puisse demander un permis de construction selon le règlement applicable. De son propre chef, M. Ouellette a rempli la formule de demande au nom de M me Martin, qui l’a ensuite signée. M. Ouellette a également dressé, à main levée, non pas à l’échelle, un croquis de l’emplacement du domicile sur lequel figuraient l’annexe prévue et ses dimensions.
Sur la formule de demande, sous la rubrique « documents requis », les exigences d’un plan à l’échelle et d’un certificat de localisation ne sont pas cochées. M me Martin était donc en droit de croire que M. Ouellette avait toute l’information nécessaire à la délivrance d’un permis de construction. [ 7 ] Par la même occasion, M. Ouellette a également informé M me Martin qu’elle devait obtenir, en plus d’un permis, l’approbation du ministre de l’Environnement. Elle l’a facilement obtenue par la poste le 28 août 2020.
Son adresse postale habituelle figurait sur l’enveloppe contenant la lettre d’approbation, dont une copie conforme semble avoir été fournie à M. Ouellette. Il devait donc posséder l’adresse habituelle de M me Martin. [ 8 ] Le 21 juillet 2020, pendant que M me Martin attendait encore une réponse à sa demande de permis, M. Ouellette lui a donné l’« ordre de se conformer » à la Loi , ordre que le Ministre affirme être fondé sur l’art. 134.
Cet ordre, qui constate une contravention au par. 7(1) du Règlement provincial sur la construction de 2002 (Règl. du N.-B. 2002-45 ), pris en vertu de la Loi , enjoint à M me Martin d’obtenir, dans un délai de 14 jours, les approbations nécessaires au traitement de sa demande de permis. L’ordre ne fait aucune mention de la nécessité d’obtenir un plan de localisation. Chose certaine, M. Ouellette a donné l’ordre le jour même où il a déposé la demande de permis auprès de la Commission et donc avant même que cette dernière ne puisse évaluer la demande.
[ 9 ] L’ordre de se conformer a été acheminé par courrier recommandé à une adresse qui n’était pas celle de M me Martin, même si, ainsi qu’il a été mentionné, la Commission possédait l’adresse de cette dernière. M me Martin affirme qu’elle n’a jamais reçu l’ordre, et rien n’explique pourquoi son adresse connue n’a pas été utilisée.
À sa décharge, le Ministre s’appuie sur le par. 134(7) de la Loi , lequel prévoit que la signification de l’ordre est réputée avoir été effectuée quatre jours après la mise à la poste, mais cette disposition ne lui est d’aucun secours puisque la preuve établit que l’ordre a été expédié à une autre adresse que celle de M me Martin. [ 10 ] Le dossier fait état d’une conversation survenue, le 1 er septembre 2020, entre M me Martin et Nicolas Landriau, directeur de la planification et agent d’aménagement à la Commission. Les parties ne s’entendent pas sur la teneur de cette conversation. M.
Landriau affirme avoir signalé l’écoulement du délai de 14 jours à M me Martin, qui aurait ignoré ce fait jusqu’alors. Il affirme également lui avoir expliqué qu’il était difficile, à défaut d’un plan de localisation, de connaître l’emplacement exact de son bâtiment principal et de son
annexe afin de déterminer si celle-ci se situait dans les limites de sa propriété. [ 11 ] Le 2 octobre 2020, M. Landriau a expédié à M me Martin, encore une fois à la mauvaise adresse, une lettre l’avisant officiellement du rejet de sa demande de permis et de son droit d’appeler de la décision à la Commission en matière d’évaluation et d’urbanisme dans les 60 jours. Postes Canada ont renvoyé à la Commission sa lettre non livrée, sur l’enveloppe de laquelle la mention estampillée « déménagé » était cochée. Le personnel de la Commission devait pourtant savoir que M me Martin n’avait pas « déménagé ».
Or, la Commission n’a fait aucune autre démarche pour informer M me Martin de son droit d’appel. Elle n’en a pris connaissance qu’après le dépôt de la requête dont il sera question plus loin, soit après l’expiration du délai d’appel. [ 12 ] Bien que le dossier ne laisse planer aucun doute sur le défaut d’informer M me Martin qu’elle devait obtenir un plan de localisation pour que sa demande de permis soit traitée, c’est ce motif-là qui est donné à l’appui du refus de sa demande dans la lettre non livrée du 2 octobre. [ 13 ]
Malgré tous les faits que la Commission devait pourtant connaître, le 8 décembre 2020, M. Landriau a écrit au ministre de l’Environnement pour lui demander d’autoriser la Commission à introduire une requête devant la Cour du Banc du Roi en application du par. 135(1) de la Loi afin de faire respecter le Règlement 2002-45 (rien au dossier ne révélant pourquoi la demande n’a pas été faite au ministre intimé). À l’appui de sa demande, M. Landriau a affirmé que l’ordre de se conformer avait été donné le 21 juillet 2020, sans toutefois mentionner que M.
Ouellette avait obtenu des renseignements pertinents de M me Martin, qu’il n’existait aucune preuve de la signification de l’ordre et que M me Martin avait obtenu l’approbation requise du ministre de l’Environnement. En fait, comme nous le verrons plus loin, la requête ultérieure sollicitait une ordonnance judiciaire obligeant M me Martin à fournir, à ses frais, un certificat de localisation. [ 14 ] Dans sa lettre au ministre de l’Environnement, M.
Landriau a de plus affirmé qu’on avait demandé à M me Martin de fournir un plan d’arpentage dressé par un arpenteur agréé, encore une fois sans établir qu’elle avait reçu cette demande. M. Landriau a ajouté que M me Martin n’avait pas satisfait aux exigences du Règlement 2002-45 et que l’ordre de se conformer était toujours en vigueur quand la construction a été achevée. Qui plus est, M.
Landriau a omis de signaler que sa correspondance du 2 octobre 2020 non seulement n’était jamais parvenue à M me Martin mais avait été renvoyée à la Commission et que M me Martin n’avait donc pas pu se prévaloir de son droit d’appel. [ 15 ] Finalement, et j’en discuterai plus loin, dans sa lettre du 8 décembre 2020, M.
Landriau a demandé au ministre de l’Environnement non pas la permission de solliciter l’une des ordonnances prévues au par. 135(2) de la Loi , mais simplement celle de déposer la requête. [ 16 ] Ultimement, avant qu’on ne lui signifie l’avis de requête le 22 avril 2022, à l’exception de la conversation du 1 er septembre 2020, dont la teneur est incertaine, M me Martin n’avait reçu aucune autre nouvelle depuis le 15 juillet 2020, jour de la visite de M. Ouellette. [ 17 ] Le juge saisi de la requête a refusé d’accorder les ordonnances recherchées.
Il a retenu la preuve de M me Martin selon laquelle elle n’avait jamais été informée du refus de sa demande de permis et de son droit de faire appel de cette décision. Il a accusé les agents de la Commission d’avoir fait preuve de zèle et de tromperie envers M me Martin. En appel, le Ministre reproche au juge d’avoir tiré des conclusions de fait qui sont animées par la compassion ou par la spéculation et, dans certains cas, qui n’ont aucun fondement factuel.
Il affirme que le juge aurait dû tenir compte du régime législatif en vigueur pour déterminer si, dans le contexte du dossier, l’ordonnance sollicitée devait être accordée.
IV. Moyens d’appel [ 18 ] Dans son avis d’appel, l’appelant formule ses moyens d’appel en ces termes : 1. le juge de la requête a commis une erreur de fait et de droit en concluant que [le Ministre] ne pouvait pas exercer son autorité sous l’
article 135 de la Loi sur l’urbanisme indépendamment des autres mesures de mise à exécution afin d’assurer que l’aménagement de [M me Martin] se conforme à l’encadrement législatif si la seule ordonnance raisonnable était de demander un plan d’arpentage ou de localisation, 2. le juge de la requête a commis une erreur de droit et de fait en concluant que l’ordonnance administrative émise le 21 juillet 2020 par [M. Ouellette] ne reconnaissait pas les formalités de l’
article 134 de la
Loi sur l’urbanisme et que tout manquement limitait l’étendue de la requête par rapport aux dépens et 3. le juge de la requête a commis une erreur de droit et de fait en omettant d’appliquer la portée de l’
article 108 de la
Loi sur l’urbanisme , soit que tout aménagement est interdit sans qu’un agent d’aménagement compétent donne son approbation. V. Norme de contrôle [ 19 ] Le juge saisi de la requête était appelé à analyser l’application d’une situation de fait à un régime législatif, une question mixte de fait et de droit qui est assujettie à la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante (voir Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 ; Brandt Tractor Ltd., corps constitué c.
Kitchen , 2021 NBCA 54 , [2021] A.N.-B. n o 305 (QL) ). [ 20 ] Dans la mesure où l’analyse du juge nécessitait l’interprétation des dispositions d’une loi ou d’un règlement, cette analyse est assujettie à la norme de la décision correcte. VI. Analyse [ 21 ] Les moyens d’appel circonscrivent la thèse du Ministre, thèse qui repose sur le principe d’intérêt public voulant qu’il lui soit loisible, dans le respect du régime législatif applicable, de faire une demande mesurée et raisonnable en vue d’obtenir une ordonnance judiciaire empêchant une personne comme M me Martin d’échapper à l’application de la Loi .
Bien que sa thèse ait une certaine valeur, le Ministre ne peut agir en faisant abstraction des droits des personnes concernées par le régime. [ 22 ] Selon les circonstances menant au dépôt de la requête, le Ministre puise son autorité dans l’art. 108 de la Loi , ainsi qu’il était rédigé en juillet 2020. L’article 108 était alors rédigé, en partie, en ces termes :
Prohibition re Development Construction freeze 108
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall undertake a development and no building permit or development and building permit shall be issued for the development unless the development officer having jurisdiction approves the development as conforming with , if it applies to the land on which the development is located, […] (
c) a regulation under subsection 125(1) (j), […] (
d) any other matters prescribed by regulation. […] [Emphasis added.] Interdiction d’aménagement Arrêt des travaux de construction 108
(1) Sauf dispositions particulières du présent article, nul ne peut entreprendre un aménagement et aucun permis de construction et aucun permis d’aménagement et de construction ne peut être délivré à cet égard, à moins que l’agent d’aménagement compétent ne l’approuve comme étant conforme au plan, au projet, à l’arrêté, au règlement ou à toute autre exigence mentionnés ci-dessous, dans la mesure où ils s’appliquent au terrain sur lequel se trouve l’aménagement : […]
c) un règlement pris en vertu de l’ alinéa 125(1) j ) : […]
d) toute autre exigence prescrite par règlement. […] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [ 23 ] Le règlement dont fait mention l’art. 108 est le Règlement 2002-45. Je rappelle que, selon la thèse du Ministre, l’ordre de se conformer du 21 juillet 2020 est censé avoir été fait en application de l’art. 134 de la Loi et il constate que M me Martin a contrevenu au par. 7(1) du Règlement 2002-45 . Or, pour l’essentiel, ce règlement prescrit des normes de construction et adopte le Code national du bâtiment du Canada de 2010 .
L’article 4 du Règlement 2002-45 énonce les objectifs de ce dernier, objectifs qui se limitent à la prescription de normes de construction et de droits ainsi qu’à l’établissement d’un régime de permis pour assurer le respect de ces normes. Celles-ci n’ont rien à voir avec le présent litige. [ 24 ] Le Ministre s’appuie sur l’art. 7 du Règlement 2002-45. Voici le texte de cet
article :
Prohibition 7
(1) A person shall not undertake or continue the building , locating or relocating, demolishing, altering or replacing of a building or structure unless (
a) subject to
section 6, the building, locating or relocating, demolishing, altering or replacing of the building or structure conforms with the Code as adopted under
section 5, and (
b) a development and building permit has been issued under this Regulation. [Emphasis added.] Interdiction 7
(1) Une personne ne peut poursuivre ou entreprendre l’édification , l’implantation, la réimplantation, la démolition, la modification ou le remplacement d’un bâtiment ou d’une construction sauf si les deux éléments suivants sont réunis :
a) sous réserve de l’article 6, l’édification, l’implantation ou la réimplantation, la démolition, la modification ou le remplacement est conforme aux exigences du Code adopté en vertu de l’article 5;
b) un permis d’aménagement et de construction a été délivré en vertu du présent règlement. [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [ 25 ] L’alinéa 7(1)
a) n’a aucun lien avec la localisation d’une construction dans les limites de la propriété sur laquelle elle est édifiée. L’alinéa 7(1)
b) requiert cependant qu’un permis d’aménagement et de construction soit délivré en vertu du Règlement 2002-45. [ 26 ] L’article 8 du Règlement 2002-45 énonce les critères auxquels une demande doit répondre pour qu’un permis puisse être délivré. Voici le texte des dispositions pertinentes de cet
article : Application for a development and building permit 8(1) A person seeking to obtain a development and building permit shall make application in writing to the development officer or building inspector , as the case may be, having jurisdiction in the area where the land involved is located and such application shall : (
a) be made on a form provided by the Director; (
b) be signed by the applicant; (
c) describe the development or state the intended use of the building or structure, as the case may be; (
d) unless waived by the development officer or building inspector, include copies in duplicate of the specifications and scale Demande de permis d’aménagement et de construction 8(1) Une personne qui désire obtenir un permis d’aménagement et de construction doit en faire la demande par écrit à l’agent d’aménagement ou à l’inspecteur en construction , selon le cas, ayant compétence dans la région où se trouve le terrain. Une telle demande doit répondre aux critères suivants :
a) être faite au moyen de la formule fournie par le Directeur,
b) être signée par le requérant,
c) décrire l’aménagement voulu ou indiquer l’usage destiné du bâtiment ou de la construction selon le cas,
d) comprendre des copies en double exemplaire des devis et des plans dressés à l’échelle de l’aménagement ou du bâtiment
drawings of the development or the building or structure with respect to which the work is to be carried out, showing (
i) the dimensions of the development or building or structure, (ii) the proposed use of each room or floor area of the building or structure, (iii) the dimensions of the property on which the development or building or structure is, or is to be, situated (iv) the grades of the streets and sewers abutting the land mentioned in subparagraph (iii), and (
v) the position , height and horizontal dimensions of all buildings or structures on, and those proposed to be located on, the land referred to ; (
e) set out the total estimated cost of the proposed work; and (
f) contain such other information as the development officer or building inspector may require for the purpose of determining compliance with this Regulation. […] [Emphasis added .] ou de la construction visé par les travaux à moins d’en être dispensé par l’agent d’aménagement ou l’inspecteur en construction; ces copies en double exemplaire doivent montrer ce qui suit : (
i) les dimensions de l’aménagement, du bâtiment ou de la construction, (ii) l’affectation proposée de chaque pièce ou de l’aire de plancher du bâtiment ou de la construction; (iii) les dimensions de la propriété sur laquelle le bâtiment ou la construction est ou sera situé, (iv) le niveau des rues et conduites d’égouts qui donnent sur le terrain visé au sous-alinéa (iii), et (
v) la position , la hauteur et les dimensions horizontales des bâtiments et constructions existants ou proposés sur le terrain visé ;
e) indiquer le coût estimatif total des travaux proposés;
f) renfermer tout autre renseignement que l’agent d’aménagement ou l’inspecteur en construction peut requérir pour s’assurer que les dispositions du présent règlement sont respectées. […] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [ 27 ] Les critères énoncés aux al. 8(1)a), b),
c) et
e) ne font l’objet d’aucune controverse en l’espèce. Le litige porte plutôt sur l’applicabilité et sur l’interprétation, dans les faits, du critère énoncé à l’al. 8(1)d), plus particulièrement au s.-al. d)v), ainsi que du critère énoncé à l’al. 8(1)f). Ce sont là les critères mentionnés par M. Landriau dans sa lettre du 2 octobre 2020 indiquant son refus d’accorder un permis.
Il invoque ces deux critères à l’appui de la conclusion suivante : Dans le cas présent, l’agent d’aménagement n’a pu recevoir un plan de localisation émis par un arpenteur certifié afin de valider l’emplacement des constructions effectuées sur le terrain visé. Votre demande vous est donc refusée. [ 28 ] Non seulement le Ministre reconnaît-il que rien dans la Loi ou le Règlement 2002-45 ne l’autorise à insister sur la production d’un certificat de localisation délivré par un arpenteur agréé, mais l’interprétation que donne M. Landriau au s.-al. d)
v) et à
l’al.
f) ci-dessus pour exiger un certificat de localisation comme condition préalable à la délivrance d’un permis est erronée. L’alinéa d), ainsi qu’il est rédigé, permet à l’agent d’aménagement ou à l’inspecteur en construction de demander des devis et des plans dressés à l’échelle de l’aménagement ou du bâtiment ou de la construction. M me Martin n’a jamais reçu de demande dans ce sens. Elle a été exemptée de cette exigence ainsi que le permet le Règlement 2002-45. En effet, M.
Ouellette s’est contenté de joindre à la formule de demande d’un permis son propre croquis de l’annexe que M me Martin était en voie de construire. [ 29 ] Le motif le plus pertinent donné par M. Landriau à l’appui de sa décision de refuser un permis, c’est celui qui est fondé sur l’al. d)v), qui traite de la position de la construction proposée sur le terrain visé.
Rien n’indique que cette « position » doit être représentée à l’échelle et, encore moins, qu’elle doit être établie par un arpenteur agréé, ainsi que l’avance le Ministre dans son mémoire et devant la Cour. [ 30 ] Pour ce qui est du critère énoncé à l’al. f), il traite de tout autre renseignement que l’agent d’aménagement ou l’inspecteur en construction peut requérir . La production d’un certificat de localisation ne correspond pas au genre de renseignement qui peut être requis. Il reste donc à savoir si M me Martin a enfreint la Loi et si elle est effectivement en droit d’obtenir un permis.
Nous n’avons pas à répondre à cette question pour disposer du présent appel. [ 31 ] En attendant l’issue de la requête, on a choisi de ne pas se prévaloir de l’un des pouvoirs conférés par l’art. 134 de la Loi , dont celui d’ordonner l’arrêt des travaux. Les dispositions pertinentes de l’art. 134 :
Violation of Act 134
(1) If a development is undertaken in violation of this Act, a by-law or regulation under this Act or terms and conditions imposed on the development, the Director or the council, as the case may be, or a development officer, building inspector or other person duly authorized by the Director or the council may order (
a) cessation of the development, (
b) alteration of the development in order to remove the violation, or (
c) the doing of anything required to restore the land, building or structure to its condition immediately before the undertaking of the development. 134
(2) Subject to subsection (6), an order under subsection (1) shall (
a) be in writing and signed by the person making it, (
b) be served on the owner of the land, building or structure in respect of which the order is issued by personal delivery to the owner or by registered mail addressed to the owner at the last known address of the owner, (
c) state the grounds for requiring the action specified in the order, and (
d) state that the action specified in the order is to be taken within the period stated in the order, the period being, in cases referred to in paragraphs (1)(
b) and (c), not fewer than 14 days and not more than two months from the day the order is served. […] Contravention à la Loi 134
(1) Si un aménagement est entrepris en violation de la présente loi, d’un arrêté ou d’un règlement pris en vertu de celle-ci ou des modalités et des conditions imposées à l’égard de l’aménagement, ou bien le directeur provincial ou le conseil, selon le cas, ou bien un agent d’aménagement, un inspecteur des constructions ou toute personne qu’autorise le directeur provincial ou le conseil peut ordonner :
a) l’arrêt de l’aménagement;
b) sa modification de telle sorte à remédier à la contravention;
c) la réalisation de tous les travaux nécessaires pour remettre le terrain, le bâtiment ou la construction en son état tout juste avant que soit entrepris l’aménagement. 134
(2) Sous réserve du paragraphe (6), l’ordre prévu au paragraphe (1) :
a) est établi par écrit et signé par son auteur;
b) est signifié soit à personne au propriétaire du terrain, du bâtiment ou de la construction donnant lieu à l’établissement de l’ordre, soit par expédition à sa dernière adresse connue par courrier recommandé;
c) énonce les motifs justifiant les mesures y précisées;
d) indique qu’il doit être donné suite aux mesures y précisées dans les délais y impartis, lesquels étant, dans les cas prévus aux alinéas (1)b), et c), d’au moins quatorze jours et de deux mois tout au plus à compter de la date de signification de l’ordre. […] [ 32 ] L’ordre de se conformer visant M me Martin ne constitue pas l’exercice de l’un quelconque des pouvoirs
conférés par l’art. 134. À défaut d’un droit d’origine législative d’insister sur la production d’un certificat de localisation, le Ministre en a fait la demande en s’appuyant sur l’art. 135 de la Loi . [ 33 ] Dans sa lettre demandant au ministre de l’Environnement d’autoriser l’introduction d’une requête en vertu de l’art. 135, M. Landriau a fait valoir que cette requête était nécessaire pour faire respecter le Règlement 2002-45 puisque M me Martin n’avait pas satisfait aux exigences de celui-ci. Cependant, la lettre de M. Landriau ne précise pas les exigences qui étaient en cause.
À mon avis, il n’y en avait aucune. De plus, l’ordre de se conformer enfreint par M me Martin n’est pas un ordre légitime, d’autant plus qu’elle ne l’a jamais reçu. Finalement, la bonne foi des autorités doit être sérieusement remise en question si l’on considère que M. Ouellette a donné son ordre le jour même où il a déposé auprès de la Commission la demande de permis de M me Martin, dont la bonne foi n’est aucunement en jeu. [ 34 ] L’avis de requête invoque le par. 135(2) pour solliciter une ordonnance judiciaire obligeant M me Martin à produire, à ses frais, un certificat de localisation.
Devant nous, le Ministre soutient que le juge saisi de la requête n’a pas tenu compte de l’obligation législative qui incombe au Ministre de veiller à ce que tout aménagement soit conforme au régime législatif et que l’ordonnance sollicitée soit mesurée eu égard aux circonstances.
Cependant, à la lecture des motifs donnés par le juge, il est évident qu’il ne pouvait accueillir une requête qui, contrairement aux principes de justice naturelle, avait été introduite par le Ministre dans un contexte où les droits de M me Martin, surtout son droit de faire appel du refus de lui accorder un permis, avaient été complètement bafoués, sans même qu’elle puisse prendre connaissance de ces droits.
La décision respecte le principe de droit fondamental selon lequel les actes administratifs qui sont accomplis sous le régime d’une loi ou d’un règlement n’échappent pas au contrôle des cours de justice. [ 35 ] L’article 135 conférait au juge un pouvoir discrétionnaire à exercer. Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je ne discerne aucune erreur manifeste et dominante dans son exercice de ce pouvoir. Par ailleurs, dans la mesure où il a dû interpréter les dispositions de la Loi ou du Règlement 2002-45, je suis d’avis qu’il l’a fait correctement. VII.
Dispositif [ 36 ] Je rejetterais l’appel avec dépens de 2 500 $ payables à M me Martin. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I.
Preliminary Motion [1] Before the hearing of the appeal, the Court heard a motion by which the Minister of Local Government and Local Governance Reform, the appellant in this case, seeks leave to amend his Notice of Appeal to specify the relief that he seeks: [TRANSLATION] “The appellant seeks to have the application judge’s decision set aside and to have the orders sought in the application granted with costs.” Joanne Patricia Martin, the respondent, opposes the motion. [2] It is admitted in argument that the original Notice of Appeal did not comply with Rule 62.05(1), which requires that the Notice of Appeal set out the relief sought.
In this case, the relief sought can be easily inferred from the grounds of appeal set out in the notice. Moreover, the parties’ written submissions reveal that both parties prepared on the basis of the orders that the Minister has been seeking since the beginning of the proceedings, as set out in his written submission. Therefore, Ms. Martin cannot establish that she would be prejudiced if the Court, in exercising its discretion under Rule 62.21(4) to allow any amendment, were to give leave to the Minister to make the desired amendment.
[3] At the hearing, the panel informed the parties’ counsel that it would reserve its decision on the motion and that, if it were to grant the motion, it would render its decision together with its decision on the appeal. For the reasons just stated, I would grant the Minister’s motion. I will now focus on the analysis of the appeal. II. Introduction [4] Ms. Martin undertook the construction of a small addition to her home without having first obtained the building permit required by the Northwest Regional Service Commission.
Marven Ouellette, a building inspector with the Commission, inspected the premises and was unable to confirm that the addition, once completed, would be located within the limits of Ms. Martin’s property. He considered that, in order to provide such confirmation, he would need to ask Ms. Martin to provide a surveyor’s real property report. The report was not provided.
Since he does not have the statutory authority to require a surveyor’s real property report, the Minister made an application to the Court of King’s Bench under s. 135 of the Community Planning Act , S.N.B. 2017, c. 19 , at the request of the Commission. [5] The judge who heard the application refused to grant the order that was being sought, and the Minister now appeals his decision. For the reasons set out below, I would dismiss the appeal. III. Background [6] Ms.
Martin’s property is located in a rural area, in Saint-Basile, a municipality in the province of New Brunswick that receives community planning services from the Commission. On or about June 15, 2020, Ms. Martin undertook the construction of a 10 feet by 12 feet addition to her home, to replace a smaller room. On July 15, 2020, Mr. Ouellette met Ms. Martin at her home and obtained the information required for her to apply for a building permit under the applicable regulation. On his own initiative, Mr. Ouellette filled out the application form in Ms. Martin’s name, which she then signed. Mr.
Ouellette also made a sketch of the home’s location, freehand and not to scale, on which were shown the proposed addition and its measurements. On the application form, under the heading [TRANSLATION] “required documents,” the requirements of a scale plan and a surveyor’s real property report are not checked off. Ms. Martin was therefore entitled to believe that Mr. Ouellette had all the information that was required for a building permit to be issued. [7] At the same time, Mr. Ouellette also informed Ms. Martin that, in addition to the permit, she had to obtain the approval of the Minister of the Environment.
She readily obtained the approval by mail on August 28, 2020. Her usual mailing address appeared on the envelope containing the letter of approval, a true copy of which seems to have been provided to Mr. Ouellette. Mr. Ouellette must therefore have had Ms. Martin’s usual address. [8] On July 21, 2020, while Ms. Martin was still waiting for a reply to her application for a permit, Mr. Ouellette sent her an [TRANSLATION] “order to comply” with the Act , an order that the Minister argues is based on s. 134.
That order, which refers to a violation of s. 7(1) of the Provincial Building Regulation, 2002 – Community Planning Act ( N.B. Reg. 2002-45 ), requires Ms. Martin to obtain, within 14 days, the approvals required for processing her application for a permit. The order makes no mention of the need to obtain a site plan. One thing is certain: Mr. Ouellette issued the order on the same day that he filed the permit application with the Commission, hence even before the Commission was able to consider the application. [9] The order to comply was sent by registered mail to an address that was not Ms.
Martin’s address, although, as already mentioned, the Commission had her address. Ms. Martin states that she never received the order, and no reason is given as to why her known address was not used. In his defence, the Minister relies on s. 134(7) of the Act , which provides that service of the order is deemed to have been effected four days after the notice is deposited in the mail; however, this provision is not helpful since the evidence shows that the order was sent to an address that was not Ms. Martin’s. [10] The record shows a conversation was held between Ms.
Martin and Nicolas Landriau, Director of Planning and Development Officer with the Commission, on September 1, 2020. The parties do not agree on the nature of this conversation. Mr. Landriau claims that he informed Ms. Martin that the 14-day time limit had expired; Ms. Martin would have been unaware of that fact until then. He also claims that he explained to Ms. Martin that it was difficult, without a site plan, to know exactly where her main building and her addition were located, in order to determine whether the addition was located within her property limits. [11] On October 2, 2020, Mr. Landriau sent Ms.
Martin, again at the wrong address, a letter officially informing
her that her application for a permit had been rejected and that she was entitled to appeal the decision to the Assessment and Planning Appeal Board within 60 days. Canada Post returned the undelivered letter to the Commission; on the envelope, the stamped word [TRANSLATION] “moved” was checked off. Yet, the Commission’s staff must have known that Ms. Martin had not [TRANSLATION] “moved.” However, the Commission took no other steps to inform Ms. Martin of her right to appeal. Ms.
Martin learned of this right only after the application that will be discussed later on was filed, that is, after the time limit for making an appeal had expired. [12] Although the record leaves no doubt as to the failure to inform Ms. Martin that she was required to obtain a site plan for her permit application to be processed, this is the reason put forward in support of the rejection of her application in the undelivered letter dated October 2. [13] In spite of all the facts of which the Commission must have been aware, Mr.
Landriau wrote to the Minister of the Environment on December 8, 2020, asking permission for the Commission to file an application with the Court of King’s Bench under s. 135(1) of the Act to ensure compliance with Regulation 2002-45 (there is nothing on the record indicating why the request was not made to the respondent Minister). In support of his request, Mr. Landriau stated that the order to comply had been given on July 21, 2020, without mentioning, however, that Mr. Ouellette had obtained relevant information from Ms. Martin, that there was no evidence that the order had been served and that Ms.
Martin had obtained the required approval from the Minister of the Environment. In fact, as we shall later see, the subsequent application sought a court order requiring Ms. Martin to provide a surveyor’s real property report at her own expense. [14] In his letter to the Minister of the Environment, Mr. Landriau also stated that Ms. Martin had been asked to provide a plan of survey prepared by a certified land surveyor, again without establishing that she had received this request. Mr. Landriau added that Ms.
Martin had not satisfied the requirements of Regulation 2002-45 and that the order to comply was still in force when the building was completed. Moreover, Mr. Landriau failed to indicate that his correspondence dated October 2, 2020, not only never reached Ms. Martin, but had been returned to the Commission, and that Ms. Martin had therefore been unable to avail herself of her right to appeal. [15] Finally, and I will discuss this later on, in his letter dated December 8, 2020, what Mr.
Landriau sought from the Minister of the Environment was not permission to seek one of the orders provided under s. 135(2) of the Act , but merely permission to file the application. [16] Ultimately, prior to being served with the Notice of Application on April 22, 2022, with the exception of the conversation that occurred on September 1, 2020, the nature of which is uncertain, Ms. Martin had received no other news since July 15, 2020, the date of the visit from Mr. Ouellette. [17] The application judge refused to grant the orders sought. He accepted Ms.
Martin’s evidence that she had never been informed that her permit application had been rejected and that she was entitled to appeal this decision. He criticized the Commission’s agents for being overzealous and deceitful with respect to Ms. Martin. On appeal, the Minister criticizes the judge for having made findings of fact that are driven by compassion or by speculation and that, in some cases, have no factual basis. He claims that the judge should have taken into account the existing statutory scheme in determining whether, in the circumstances of the case, the order being sought should be granted. IV.
Grounds of Appeal [18] In his Notice of Appeal, the appellant formulates his grounds of appeal in the following terms: [TRANSLATION] 1. the application judge erred in fact and in law in finding that [the Minister] could not exercise his authority under s. 135 of the Community Planning Act independently of the other enforcement measures in order to ensure that [Ms. Martin’s] development was in compliance with the legislative framework if the only reasonable order were to request a survey or site plan;
2. the application judge erred in law and in fact in finding that the administrative order issued by [Mr. Ouellette] on July 21, 2020, did not follow the procedure set out in s. 134 of the Community Planning Act and that any breach limited the scope of the application with respect to costs; and 3. the application judge erred in law and in fact in failing to fully apply s. 108 of the Community Planning Act , namely that no development is permitted without the approval of a development officer having jurisdiction. V.
Standard of Review [19] The matter before the application judge was the application of a factual situation to a statutory scheme, a question of mixed fact and law to which the standard of palpable and overriding error applies (see Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 ; Brandt Tractor Ltd., a body corporate v. Kitchen , 2021 NBCA 54 , [2021] N.B.J. No. 305 (QL) ). [20] To the extent that it required the
interpretation of legislative or regulatory provisions, the judge’s analysis is subject to the standard of correctness. VI. Analysis [21] The grounds of appeal set out the Minister’s position, which is based on the public interest principle according to which he is authorized, within the limits of the applicable statutory scheme, to make a measured and reasonable request for the purpose of obtaining a court order preventing a person such as Ms. Martin from avoiding the application of the Act .
Although his position has some merit, the Minister is not entitled to act without regard to the rights of the persons to whom the scheme applies. [22] According to the circumstances leading to the filing of the application, the Minister derives his authority from s. 108 of the Act , as it was worded in July
Section 108 then read, in part, as follows:
Prohibition re Development Construction freeze 108
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall undertake a development and no building permit or development and building permit shall be issued for the development unless the development officer having jurisdiction approves the development as conforming with , if it applies to the land on which the development is located, […] (
c) a regulation under subsection 125(1) (j), […] (
d) any other matters prescribed by regulation. […] [Emphasis added.] Interdiction d’aménagement Arrêt des travaux de construction 108
(1) Sauf dispositions particulières du présent article, nul ne peut entreprendre un aménagement et aucun permis de construction et aucun permis d’aménagement et de construction ne peut être délivré à cet égard, à moins que l’agent d’aménagement compétent ne l’approuve comme étant conforme au plan, au projet, à l’arrêté, au règlement ou à toute autre exigence mentionnés ci-dessous, dans la mesure où ils s’appliquent au terrain sur lequel se trouve l’aménagement : […]
c) un règlement pris en vertu de l’ alinéa 125(1) j) : […]
d) toute autre exigence prescrite par règlement. […] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [23] The regulation referred to in s. 108 is Regulation 2002-45. It should be recalled that, according to the Minister’s position, the order to comply issued on July 21, 2020, is purported to have been issued under s. 134 of the Act , and the Minister states that Ms. Martin violated s. 7(1) of Regulation 2002-45. Now, basically, this regulation prescribes building standards and adopts the National Building Code of Canada 2010 .
Section 4 of Regulation 2002-45 sets out the purpose of the Regulation, which is limited to prescribing building standards and fees as well as prescribing a system of permits to ensure compliance with these standards. These standards are not relevant in this case. [24] The Minister relies on s. 7 of Regulation 2002-45, which provides as follows:
Prohibition 7
(1) A person shall not undertake or continue the building , locating or relocating, demolishing, altering or replacing of a building or structure unless (
a) subject to
section 6, the building, locating or relocating, demolishing, altering or replacing of the building or structure conforms with the Code as adopted under
section 5, and (
b) a development and building permit has been issued under this Regulation. [Emphasis added.] Interdiction 7
(1) Une personne ne peut poursuivre ou entreprendre l’édification , l’implantation, la réimplantation, la démolition, la modification ou le remplacement d’un bâtiment ou d’une construction sauf si les deux éléments suivants sont réunis :
a) sous réserve de l’article 6, l’édification, l’implantation ou la réimplantation, la démolition, la modification ou le remplacement est conforme aux exigences du Code adopté en vertu de l’article 5;
b) un permis d’aménagement et de construction a été délivré en vertu du présent règlement. [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [25] Section 7(1)(
a) has nothing to do with the location of a structure within the limits of the property on which it is built. Section 7(1)(
b) does, however, require that a development and building permit be issued under Regulation 2002-45. [26]
Section 8 of Regulation 2002-45 sets out the requirements that the application must meet for a permit to be issued. The relevant provisions of this
section read as follows: Application for a development and building permit 8(1) A person seeking to obtain a development and building permit shall make application in writing to the development officer or building inspector , as the case may be, having jurisdiction in the area where the land involved is located and such application shall : (
a) be made on a form provided by the Director; (
b) be signed by the applicant; (
c) describe the development or state the intended use of the building or structure, as the case may be; (
d) unless waived by the development officer or building inspector, include copies in duplicate of the specifications and scale Demande de permis d’aménagement et de construction 8(1) Une personne qui désire obtenir un permis d’aménagement et de construction doit en faire la demande par écrit à l’agent d’aménagement ou à l’inspecteur en construction , selon le cas, ayant compétence dans la région où se trouve le terrain. Une telle demande doit répondre aux critères suivants :
a) être faite au moyen de la formule fournie par le Directeur,
b) être signée par le requérant,
c) décrire l’aménagement voulu ou indiquer l’usage destiné du bâtiment ou de la construction selon le cas,
d) comprendre des copies en double exemplaire des devis et des plans dressés à l’échelle de l’aménagement ou du bâtiment
drawings of the development or the building or structure with respect to which the work is to be carried out, showing (
i) the dimensions of the development or building or structure, (ii) the proposed use of each room or floor area of the building or structure, (iii) the dimensions of the property on which the development or building or structure is, or is to be, situated, (iv) the grades of the streets and sewers abutting the land mentioned in subparagraph (iii), and (
v) the position , height and horizontal dimensions of all buildings or structures on, and those proposed to be located on, the land referred to ; (
e) set out the total estimated cost of the proposed work; and (
f) contain such other information as the development officer or building inspector may require for the purpose of determining compliance with this Regulation. […] [Emphasis added .] ou de la construction visé par les travaux à moins d’en être dispensé par l’agent d’aménagement ou l’inspecteur en construction; ces copies en double exemplaire doivent montrer ce qui suit : (
i) les dimensions de l’aménagement, du bâtiment ou de la construction, (ii) l’affectation proposée de chaque pièce ou de l’aire de plancher du bâtiment ou de la construction; (iii) les dimensions de la propriété sur laquelle le bâtiment ou la construction est ou sera situé, (iv) le niveau des rues et conduites d’égouts qui donnent sur le terrain visé au sous-alinéa (iii), et (
v) la position , la hauteur et les dimensions horizontales des bâtiments et constructions existants ou proposés sur le terrain visé ;
e) indiquer le coût estimatif total des travaux proposés;
f) renfermer tout autre renseignement que l’agent d’aménagement ou l’inspecteur en construction peut requérir pour s’assurer que les dispositions du présent règlement sont respectées. […] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [27] No issues have been raised in this case with respect to the requirements set out in ss. 8(1)(a), (b), (
c) and (e). What is in dispute is rather the application and
interpretation, in the circumstances of this case, of the requirement set out in s. 8(1)(d), more specifically in s. 8(1)(d)(v), as well as the requirement set out in s. 8(1)(f). These are the requirements that Mr. Landriau mentions in his letter dated October 2, 2020, in which he indicates his refusal to grant a permit. His conclusion is based on these two requirements: [TRANSLATION] In this case, the development officer was unable to obtain a site plan issued by a certified land surveyor in order to validate the location of the structures built on the lot referred to. Your application is therefore rejected.
[28] Not only does the Minister acknowledge that nothing in the Act or in Regulation 2002-45 authorizes him to require that a surveyor’s real property report issued by a certified land surveyor be provided, but Mr. Landriau’s
interpretation of ss. 8(1) (d)(
v) and (
f) above as requiring a surveyor’s real property report as a condition precedent to issuing a permit is erroneous. Section 8(1) (d), as worded, allows the development officer or the building inspector to request specifications and scale drawings of the development or the building or structure. Ms. Martin never received such a request. This requirement was waived, as permitted under Regulation 2002-45. In fact, Mr. Ouellette merely attached to the permit application form his own sketch of the addition that Ms. Martin was in the process of building. [29] The most relevant reason given by Mr.
Landriau for his decision to refuse a permit is that based on s. 8(1)(d) (v), which deals with the position of the structure proposed to be located on the land referred to. There is no indication that this “position” must be drawn to scale, even less that it must be established by a certified land surveyor, as claimed by the Minister in his written submission and before the Court. [30] As for the requirement set out in s. 8(1)(f), it deals with such other information as the development officer or building inspector may require .
Providing a surveyor’s real property report is not the type of information that may be required. Hence, the question remains whether Ms. Martin contravened the Act and whether she is in fact entitled to obtain a permit. There is no need for us to answer that question to dispose of this appeal. [31] Pending the outcome of the application, it was decided not to exercise one of the powers conferred by s. 134 of the Act , that is the power to order the cessation of the work. The relevant provisions of s. 134 read as follows:
Violation of Act 134
(1) If a development is undertaken in violation of this Act, a by-law or regulation under this Act or terms and conditions imposed on the development, the Director or the council, as the case may be, or a development officer, building inspector or other person duly authorized by the Director or the council may order (
a) cessation of the development, (
b) alteration of the development in order to remove the violation, or (
c) the doing of anything required to restore the land, building or structure to its condition immediately before the undertaking of the development. 134
(2) Subject to subsection (6), an order under subsection (1) shall (
a) be in writing and signed by the person making it, (
b) be served on the owner of the land, building or structure in respect of which the order is issued by personal delivery to the owner or by registered mail addressed to the owner at the last known address of the owner, (
c) state the grounds for requiring the action specified in the order, and (
d) state that the action specified in the order is to be taken within the period stated in the order, the period being, in cases referred to in paragraphs (1)(
b) and (c), not fewer than 14 days and not more than two months from the day the order is served. […] Contravention à la Loi 134
(1) Si un aménagement est entrepris en violation de la présente loi, d’un arrêté ou d’un règlement pris en vertu de celle-ci ou des modalités et des conditions imposées à l’égard de l’aménagement, ou bien le directeur provincial ou le conseil, selon le cas, ou bien un agent d’aménagement, un inspecteur des constructions ou toute personne qu’autorise le directeur provincial ou le conseil peut ordonner :
a) l’arrêt de l’aménagement;
b) sa modification de telle sorte à remédier à la contravention;
c) la réalisation de tous les travaux nécessaires pour remettre le terrain, le bâtiment ou la construction en son état tout juste avant que soit entrepris l’aménagement. 134
(2) Sous réserve du paragraphe (6), l’ordre prévu au paragraphe (1) :
a) est établi par écrit et signé par son auteur;
b) est signifié soit à personne au propriétaire du terrain, du bâtiment ou de la construction donnant lieu à l’établissement de l’ordre, soit par expédition à sa dernière adresse connue par courrier recommandé;
c) énonce les motifs justifiant les mesures y précisées;
d) indique qu’il doit être donné suite aux mesures y précisées dans les délais y impartis, lesquels étant, dans les cas prévus aux alinéas (1)b), et c), d’au moins quatorze jours et de deux mois tout au plus à compter de la date de signification de l’ordre. […] [32] The order to comply issued against Ms. Martin does not constitute the exercise of any of the powers conferred by s. 134. As he had no statutory right to require the provision of a surveyor’s real property report, the Minister based his request on s. 135 of the Act .
[33] In his letter asking the Minister of the Environment to authorize an application under s. 135, Mr. Landriau asserted that the application was necessary to ensure compliance with Regulation 2002-45, since Ms. Martin had not met the requirements of the Regulation. However, Mr. Landriau’s letter does not indicate which requirements are involved. In my view, there were none. Furthermore, the order to comply violated by Ms. Martin was not a legitimate order, particularly as she never received it. Finally, the good faith of the officials must be seriously questioned, considering that Mr.
Ouellette issued his order the same day on which he filed Ms. Martin’s application for a permit with the Commission. Her good faith is not questioned. [34] The Notice of Application relies on s. 135(2) to seek a court order requiring Ms. Martin to provide a surveyor’s real property report, at her own expense. Before this Court, the Minister argues that the application judge did not take into account the Minister’s statutory obligation to ensure that any development complies with the statutory scheme and that the order sought is commensurate in the circumstances.
However, on reading the judge’s reasons, it is obvious that he could not grant an application that, contrary to the principles of natural justice, had been introduced by the Minister in circumstances where Ms. Martin’s rights, particularly her right to appeal the refusal to grant her a permit, had been completely disregarded, without her having even been informed of these rights. The decision is consistent with the fundamental principle of law according to which administrative acts that are taken under a statute or a regulation are not immune from judicial review. [35]
Section 135 gave the judge a discretion that he could exercise. For the aforementioned reasons, I find no palpable and overriding error in his exercise of that discretion. Moreover, to the extent that he was required to interpret the provisions of the Act or of Regulation 2002-45, I am of the view that he did so correctly. VII. Disposition [36] I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500 to be paid to Ms. Martin.