2019 NBCA 55, 2019 NBCA 55
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK CHRISTINE ROBSON APPELLANT 92-18-CA CHRISTINE ROBSON APPELANTE - and - - et - CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES, LOCAL 3339 RESPONDENT SYNDICAT CANADIEN DE LA FONCTION PUBLIQUE,
SECTION LOCALE 3339 INTIMÉ Robson v. Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 3339, 2019 NBCA 55 Robson c. Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 3339, 2019 NBCA 55 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LaVigne CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: August 27, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 27 août 2018 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 142 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 142 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: February 28, 2019 Judgment rendered: July 11, 2019 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice LaVigne Appel entendu : le 28 février 2019 Jugement rendu : le 11 juillet 2019 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Jessica Bungay For the respondent: Brenda Comeau and Glen Gallant Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Jessica Bungay Pour l’intimé : Brenda Comeau et Glen Gallant THE COURT The appeal and cross-appeal are dismissed without costs.
LA COUR L’appel et l’appel reconventionnel sont rejetés sans dépens. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction
[ 1 ] This appeal concerns a judge’s decision to strike certain paragraphs from the appellant’s statement of claim on the basis they failed to disclose a genuine issue requiring a trial. The cross-appeal challenges the motion judge’s decision not to strike, in whole or in part, two other paragraphs from the statement of claim and to not stay the civil proceedings pending the results of an inquiry before the Human Rights Commission. Rules 22.04(1)(
a) and 22.05, 23.01(2)(
a) and 27.09(c), respectively, of the Rules of Court are engaged. [ 2 ] The subject action arises from a collective agreement executed in 2017 between the Canadian Union of Public Employees, CUPE Local 3339, and the University of New Brunswick.
Article 26.01, as quoted by the motion judge, reads: “Employees shall retire on or before the June 30 th following their sixty-fifth (65) birthday.” [ 3 ] Ms. Robson was a member of CUPE Local 3339, when the collective agreement was negotiated and ratified, and she expressed her concerns to CUPE Local 3339 about
Article 26.01 at that time. On June 28, 2017, when Ms. Robson attained the age of 65, the university required her to retire from her position as administrative assistant, and she did so on June 30, 2017. On July 4, 2017, Ms. Robson filed a complaint with the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission asserting the national organization of CUPE, the University of New Brunswick and CUPE Local 3339 had discriminated against her on the basis of her age. [ 4 ] Following her retirement, Ms. Robson unsuccessfully requested the university grant her a waiver of
Article 26.01 so she could continue working. In addition, she asked CUPE Local 3339 to file a grievance on her behalf, on the basis
Article 26.01 violated the Human Rights Act , R.S.N.B. 2011, c.171 (the “ Act ”) and was discriminatory. CUPE Local 3339 refused to file the grievance. [ 5 ] In September 2017, Ms. Robson initiated an action against CUPE Local 3339 claiming damages for breach of its duty of fair representation when it negotiated
Article 26.01: she also asserts it should have filed a grievance as requested, she should have received a waiver, and she claims her resulting legal fees were causally linked to the above. CUPE Local 3339 defended the action and filed a motion seeking an order summarily dismissing it, arguing the statement of claim did not plead material facts to establish a causal link between its alleged conduct and Ms. Robson’s damages and there was no genuine issue requiring a trial.
In the alternative, it requested an order striking certain paragraphs of the statement of claim, or, the action be stayed pending the results of the investigation by the Human Rights Commission. It also asked that paragraph 27(
b) of the statement of claim, in which Ms. Robson claimed punitive damages, be struck on the basis there were no material facts pleaded to support the award and it was frivolous. CUPE Local 3339 requested the court issue an order the “matter proceed to trial” with directions pursuant to Rule 22.05. Further, CUPE Local 3339 submitted there was no merit to Ms. Robson’s claim it should have granted her a waiver, because it was not asked to do so. [ 6 ] There is authority to conclude that
summary judgment may be granted in whole or in part. Recently, in Babin v. CJM Dieppe Investment Ltd. et al. , 2019 NBCA 44 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 144 (QL), Richard C.J.N.B. upheld the decision to grant
summary judgment in respect of one of two named defendants. Rule 22.04 allows for an order granting
summary judgment of those parts of a claim or a defence where it is determined they have no chance of success, or the parties agree that all or part of the claim can be determined in that fashion (see 22 King Street Inc. et al. v. The Bank of Nova Scotia , 2018 NBCA 16 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 42 (QL). A. Motion judge’s decision [ 7 ] The motion judge: a. rejected CUPE Local 3339’s motion for
summary judgment dismissing the action; b. granted CUPE Local 3339’s motion for
summary judgment of the claims for breach of its duty of fair representation based on its failure to file a grievance and its alleged failure to agree to a waiver of
Article 26.01; c. ordered that Ms. Robson was “at liberty” to continue her claim against CUPE Local 3339 for its alleged breach of the duty of fair representation based on its negotiation of
Article 26.01, subject to a later determination of whether, or not, the claim for punitive damages would be struck;
d. dismissed CUPE Local 3339’s motion to strike paras. 10 and 11 of the statement of claim; e. dismissed CUPE Local 3339’s motion for a stay pending the outcome of the human rights investigation; and f. adjourned CUPE Local 3339’s motion to strike the claim for punitive damages. II. Grounds of Appeal and Cross-Appeal [ 8 ] Ms. Robson appeals the motion judge’s decision, arguing he erred in law when he granted an order which was not a relief sought in either the motion or the amended motion filed by CUPE Local 3339. She asserts there is a genuine issue requiring a trial and
summary judgment should not have been granted in part. In addition, she states the motion judge erred in law when he found she was required to plead that her grievance would have been successful.
In the alternative, she submits the motion judge should have granted her leave to amend her pleadings. [ 9 ] In its cross-appeal, CUPE Local 3339 submits the motion judge committed reversible error when he refused its request to strike paragraphs 10 and 11 of the statement of claim where breaches of ss. 4(1) and 4(3) of the Act were advanced, contending the court does not have jurisdiction to try what is, in fact, a human rights complaint.
Further, it argues the motion judge’s refusal to stay the civil proceedings pending the outcome of the human rights complaint constitutes an error in law, arguing the Court of Queen’s Bench lacks the jurisdiction to try the action on the basis the discrimination complaint is more properly before the Human Rights Commission. It argues the motion judge misapplied the legal test for a stay under Rule 23.01(2). [ 10 ] The motion judge divided his analysis on CUPE Local 3339’s motion for
summary judgment into two parts. “In the first it alleges Ms. Robson has not pleaded any material facts to establish a causal link between Local 3339’s conduct and the damages she claims. In the second it alleges she has not pleaded the crucial fact that the grievance she asked Local 3339 to file on her behalf would have been successful” (para. 15). III. Standard of Review [ 11 ] Errors of law or jurisdiction are reviewable on the correctness standard: Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at para. 8 . In this case, the appellant raises four grounds of appeal.
Only the third ground attracts the correctness standard. The other grounds raise issues which require a reviewing court to accord deference, absent a misapplication of a legal principle. In O’Toole v. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 14 (QL), Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was), writing for the Court concludes, applying Hryniak v. Mauldin , 2014 SCC 7 , [2014] 1 SCR 87, that appeals of
summary judgment dispositions are to be dealt with by applying the standards of review applicable to all appeals. Unless the judge misdirected himself or herself, or came to a conclusion that is so clearly wrong it would amount to an injustice, the decision should not be disturbed. [ 12 ] Simply put, as Karakatsanis J. writes in Hryniak : There will be no genuine issue requiring a trial when the judge is able to reach a fair and just determination on the merits on a motion for
summary judgment. This will be the case when the process (1) allows the judge to make the necessary findings of fact, (2) allows the judge to apply the law to the facts, and (3) is a proportionate, more expeditious and less expensive means to achieve a just result. [para. 49] [ 13 ] In the same vein, Larlee J.A. states in Sullivan and the Province of New Brunswick v. Benoit et al. , 2019 NBCA 49 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 72 (QL) : “[…] where the motion judge applies an incorrect principle of law, or errs with regard to a purely legal question, the standard is one of correctness. Absent an error of law, the exercise of powers under the new
summary judgment rule attracts deference” (para. 6). [ 14 ] The respondent’s cross-appeal raises questions of mixed fact and law to which the same standard of deference
applies, unless it is concluded there is an extricable error in the application of a legal principle, as noted (Housen, at para. 37). IV. Analysis on Appeal A. The motion judge’s decision to strike Ms. Robson’s claim concerning the failure to file a grievance and his failure to amend thepleadings [15] The motion judge struck paragraphs 18 to 25 of the statement of claim, in which Ms. Robson claimed shesuffered damages as a result of CUPE Local 3339’s failure to file a grievance on her behalf.
She asserts there is a genuine issue requiringa trial, arguing the statement of claim contains all the material facts necessary to support this conclusion in law. She submits the motionjudge erred when he concluded she had to plead that her grievance would have been successful; alternatively, Ms. Robson asserts Rule37.03(
a) requires that the precise order sought be claimed in the motion. She argues CUPE Local 3339 did not specifically raise the issueof the failure to plead a causal link between the breach of the duty of fair representation and her damages until it filed its brief. Neither inthe relief claimed in the motion, nor in the amended motion did it state it was seeking
summary judgment on the basis she had failed toplead her grievance would have been successful; therefore, she argues, the motion judge was required to grant her leave to amend herpleadings, in the interests of justice. She refers to Conseil de la magistrature (N.-B.) c. Moreau-Bérubé (1999), (NBCA), 217 N.B.R. (2d) 230, [1999] N.B.J. No. 336, (C.A.) (QL), at para. 4; Combined Holdings et al v. 620524 N.B. Inc. et al, 2017NBQB 156, [2017] N.B.J. No. 199 (QL); MacQuarrie v.
Société hippique de Blainville, 2005 NBCA 92, 291 N.B.R. (2d) 270, to supportthis argument. [16] The motion judge’s analysis on this issue is found at para. 24 of the reasons: The allegations Ms. Robson makes at paragraphs 18 to 25 of her statement of claim in support of the grievance allegation, even if foundto be factual, cannot, without more, prove this claim because unless she can also prove that the grievance would have been successfulthen she can’t establish that she suffered any damages.
I therefore find that her failure to plead that material fact means that theallegations she makes in paragraphs 18 to 25 of the statement of claim do not raise a genuine issue requiring a trial. I therefore grant thedefendant’s motion for
summary judgment on that part of her claim. [17] CUPE Local 3339 asserts that, because there was no causal link set out in the pleadings to establish Ms.Robson’s grievance would have been successful at arbitration, thereby linking her damages to the failure to file a grievance, the motionjudge was correct in dismissing this part of the statement of claim.
The motion judge found that whether the grievance would have beensuccessful was a necessary fact to be pleaded, without which there was no genuine issue requiring a trial. [18] The duty of fair representation has not been codified in New Brunswick; thus, the common law applies. Themotion judge referred to Romard v. CUPE, Local 3264, 20 T.L.W.D. 2025-009; Stewart v. Ryan (2002), (NB KB),247 N.B.R. (2d) 51, [2002] N.B.J. No. 53 (QL); and the trial decision in Goyetche et al. v.
IUOE et al., 2017 NBQB 194, [2017] N.B.J.No. 310 (QL), where the general principle that a plaintiff must plead a causal link between the union’s alleged conduct and the plaintiff’salleged losses was applied. [19] Rule 27.06(1) requires that a pleading contain the material facts upon which a party relies to prove his or herclaim. Ms. Robson submits the human rights complaint is the causal link for her civil action, as her damages are causally linked to thefact she has incurred legal fees associated with that complaint.
At para. 35 of her brief, she states this causal link can be “inferred” fromthe fact that, because CUPE Local 3339 would not file a grievance, she was required to retain legal counsel to file the human rightscomplaint. I respectfully disagree. In Canada (Attorney General) v. Lameman, 2008 SCC 14, [2008] 1 S.C.R. 372, the Supreme Courtconcludes a
summary judgment motion must be decided on the record before the court, and not based on speculation about whatevidence may be adduced in the future, should the matter proceed to trial (para. 11). [20] Before us, Ms. Robson argued that in Romard and Stewart the claimants were successful despite their failure toprove the success of a grievance, and she contended that in the Goyetche trial decision, the grievance issue was not determinative andwas mentioned only in obiter comments. This is true, but not necessarily helpful for Ms. Robson.
In Romard, the Court rejected theplaintiff’s claims for loss of income on the basis the claimant had not proven his grievance would have been successful; only claims formental distress, a portion of re-training, and the costs of legal counsel to pursue an appeal of his employment insurance claim wereallowed.
The claimant in Stewart was successful and received nominal damages only, due to the particular circumstances of the case,which included a finding of negligence on the part of the claimant’s solicitor. [21] While the comments in the lower court’s decision in Goyetche were indeed obiter, an appeal of that decision
has since been before this Court (see Goyetche et al. v. International Union of Operating Engineers et al., 2019 NBCA 16, [2019] N.B.J.No. 36 (QL)). The appeal was dismissed because it was determined the grievance would have failed; thus, there was no genuine issuerequiring a trial.
In his reasons, Drapeau J.A. found: In applying the test under Rule 22 to a case like the present one, the court must determine what the correct outcome of the sought-aftergrievance would have been, having regard to the pertinent terms of the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan, and adjudicate onthat basis. […] [para. 47] [22] Further in this decision, Drapeau J.A. concludes: There remains the issue of whether the duty of representation upon which the appellants’ claim rests can be traced to the respondents’respective Constitutions.
In this regard, I find the respondents have failed to put their best foot forward, as required under Rule 22 andO’Toole v. Peterson. While the appellants provided a detailed inventory of Constitution provisions that might arguably give rise to a dutyof fair representation, the respondents failed to respond with references to countervailing terms of the Constitutions or to jurisprudenceon point.
That being so, the existence of a representational duty would be a genuine issue requiring a trial but for my conclusion that thegrievance the appellants contend should have been pursued by the Local Unions would have failed. [para. 53] [23] Similarly, in this case, there was no evidence before the motion judge to support Ms. Robson’s assertion thatCUPE Local 3339 had a duty to file a grievance on her behalf, nor was there any evidence the Constitution required it to do so underthese circumstances. Ms.
Robson’s claim arises not from the fact the employer’s actions in terminating her violated a provision of thecollective agreement, but because the employer terminated her in accord with
Article 26.01 of a ratified collective agreement and CUPELocal 3339 refused to file a grievance. This is not a wrongful termination case, and this issue is clearly distinguishable from Ms.Robson’s alternative pleading where a breach of the duty of fair representation in the context of the collective bargaining process isclaimed. The motion judge acknowledged the distinction as between a claim where a breach of the duty of fair representation innegotiating the impugned clause is asserted, and the failure to file a grievance is also raised. [24] Drapeau C.J.N.B. dealt with a motion to strike a pleading in Sewell v.
ING Insurance Company of Canada,2007 NBCA 42, 314 N.B.R. (2d) 330, at paras. 22-26. In his reasons, he referred to Caissie v. Sénéchal Estate et al., 2001 NBCA 35,237 N.B.R. (2d) 232, at paras. 10-11, where the Court explains the object of Rule 23.01(1)(b), is to permit the striking of a pleading thaton its face does not disclose an action or defence. Further, in the usual case, evidence which purports to provide a factual basis for theaction or defence, is not admissible, except with leave. The motion is decided on the record otherwise. [25] In this case, having concluded Ms.
Robson failed to plead the material facts necessary to prove on what basisher grievance would have been successful and, therefore, there was no genuine issue requiring a trial, the motion judge properlyexercised his discretion. His conclusion was sound, and I would not disturb it. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. [26] Ms. Robson submits that once the motion judge determined the pleadings were deficient, Rule 27.10(1)required him to grant her leave to amend so the real issue in question could be determined. She cites Ouellet v. Béchard (1999), (NB CA), 210 N.B.R. (2d) 246, [1999] N.B.J.
No. 145 (C.A.) (QL), at para. 5; Sewell v. ING Insurance Company ofCanada, 2007 NBCA 42, 314 N.B.R. (2d) 330, at para. 26; and Michaud v. Robertson (1992), (NB CA), 126 N.B.R.(2d) 247, [1992] N.B.J. No. 455, (C.A.) (QL), in support of this argument. I respectfully disagree with her submission. [27] In the above decisions, the courts were required to consider what justice requires in the particular case, tosecure the just determination of the matters in dispute in the least expensive, most expeditious manner, in keeping with Rule 1.03(2). Inthis case, Ms.
Robson did not seek leave to amend her pleadings, even though CUPE Local 3339 raised this issue in its pre-motion briefand she had notice that it would be argued. I do not interpret Rule 27.10(1) as requiring a judge to amend pleadings on his or her ownmotion. Leave to amend was not sought, and in my view, for this reason, this ground of appeal lacks merit. V. Analysis on the Cross-Appeal A. The motion judge’s refusal to strike paragraphs 10 and 11 of the Statement of Claim. [28] Paragraphs 10 and 11, of the statement of claim, read:
Article 26.01 is discriminatory on the basis of age in that it stipulates mandatory retirement for bargaining unit members who haveattained age sixty-five (the “Discriminatory Clause”), contrary to subsections 4 (1) and 4 (3) of the Human Rights Act, RSNB 2011,c.171. 11.
The Defendant breached its duty of fair representation by negotiating the inclusion of the Discriminatory Clause in the CollectiveAgreement, which directly and adversely impacted the Plaintiff. [29] From the motion judge’s reasons, it is clear he was alive to his jurisdiction under Rule 22; in fact, at paras. 13and 14 of the reasons, he correctly refers to both Hryniak and O’Toole.
Paragraphs 10 and 11 of the statement of claim raise a cause ofaction based on an alleged breach of the duty of fair representation by “negotiating the inclusion of the Discriminatory Clause in thecollective agreement, which directly and adversely impacted the plaintiff.” [30] The motion judge concludes, with respect to the first part, the damages can be easily inferred from “both theallegation that the defendant’s breach caused her to lose her job and the wording of paragraph 27(
a) and (
b) of the statement of claim[…].” He carefully reviewed the pleadings and found the causal link between the damages claimed and material facts found in thepreceding paragraphs was linked by the word, “therefore,” at the beginning of paragraph 27 of the statement of claim.
There, Ms.Robson claims the discriminatory clause caused her to lose her job, and, as a result, she suffered “loss of income, loss of fringe benefits,including pension, medical, dental, life and disability benefits, and legal expenses incurred in relation to the Plaintiff’s human rightscomplaint.” [31] The motion judge concluded there was a sufficient causal link asserted in the pleadings between Ms. Robson’sloss of employment and the alleged breach of the duty of fair representation in negotiating
Article 26.01 as to raise a triable cause ofaction. A
summary judgment motion is decided on the record. In this case, the motion judge determined, in my view correctly, that there was asufficient factual and arguable basis for a trial with respect to Ms. Robson’s claim for damages arising from CUPE Local 3339’s actionsin negotiating
Article 26.01. The motion judge concluded the only logical inference was that the damages claimed were linked to the lossof employment which Ms. Robson attributed to CUPE Local 3339’s breach of the duty of fair representation when it negotiated Article26.01. In dismissing the motion for
summary judgment on this point, the motion judge found “no merit” to the submission Ms. Robsonfailed to plead a causal link between the allegation of the breach of duty of fair representation and her damages claimed as set out in para.27. [32] I see no error in the motion judge’s analysis, nor in his conclusion on this point, and I would not disturb it. Iwould dismiss this ground of the cross-appeal. B. Should the motion judge have stayed the proceedings? [33] In its cross-appeal, CUPE Local 3339 argues the civil action should have been stayed, pending a decision fromthe Human Rights Commission.
Sections 4(1) and 4(3) of the Act prohibit discrimination against any person in respect of his or heremployment based on a prohibited ground.
Section 17 of the Act grants jurisdiction to the Human Rights Commission over complaintsconcerning a violation of the Act. Essentially, CUPE Local 3339 argues the Human Rights Commission has exclusive jurisdiction in thiscase, and paragraphs 10 and 11 of the statement of claim should have been struck; alternatively, the civil action should have been stayedpending the results of the human rights investigation. [34] The motion judge concluded the claims set out in paragraphs 10 and 11 of the statement of claim weredistinguishable from the human rights complaint.
CUPE Local 3339 argues there can be but one forum for a discrimination complaint,and that forum is the Human Rights Commission. They refer to Nicholas et al. v. Mullin et al. (1998), (NB KB), 199N.B.R. (2d) 219, [1998] N.B.J. No. 123 (QL) (Q.B.), where the court concluded a plaintiff’s civil claim for alleged discrimination basedon sex and sexual harassment was not properly before the court, finding the Act foreclosed a civil action based on discrimination. CUPELocal 3339 submits that once Ms.
Robson filed a complaint with the Human Rights Commission, it assumed exclusive jurisdiction overthe discrimination complaint, and the same issue should not be decided by two separate adjudicative bodies. [35] Ms. Robson asserts the duty of fair representation includes the duty of a union not to act in a discriminatorymanner, the common law applies, and she has a right to proceed with her civil action on that basis. The motion judge resolved this issue
by examining the nature of the claims before him. The key, in my view, rests with his analysis concerning Ms. Robson’s claim thatCUPE, Local 3339 breached its duty of fair representation by negotiating
Article 26.01. [36] In Seneca College v. Bhadauria, (SCC), [1981] 2 S.C.R. 181, [1981] S.C.J. No. 76 (QL), at p.195; and Honda Canada Inc. v. Keays, 2008 SCC 39, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 362, the Supreme Court concludes that a plaintiff is precludedfrom pursuing a common law remedy when human rights legislation contains a comprehensive enforcement scheme for violations of itssubstantive terms. In Quebec (Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse) v.
Quebec (Attorney General), 2004SCC 39, [2004] 2 S.C.R. 185, the Supreme Court writes that an analysis with respect to jurisdiction invites two considerations: 1) First, an examination of the relevant legislation which confers jurisdiction on the competing tribunals; and 2) Second, the nature of the dispute, taken in its full factual context (para. 15). [37] The issue of exclusive and concurrent jurisdiction in matters where similar claims are advanced in differentforums was examined by the Supreme Court in Weber v. Ontario Hydro, (SCC), [1995] 2 S.C.R. 929, [1995] S.C.J.No. 59 (QL).
One might argue that, because the claims in that case arose out of matters that were before competing tribunals, they aredistinguishable. Weber has been interpreted broadly as standing for the proposition that exclusive jurisdiction will be found if it can beshown the legislature intended the statutory schemes would be exclusive.
Notably, there is no exclusivity clause in the Act. [38] In Quebec (Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse), McLachlin C.J., writing for themajority, states where legislation does not give exclusive jurisdiction to one tribunal, another tribunal may decide the matter if, whenviewed in its full factual matrix, it does not fall into the jurisdiction of the other (para. 20).
McLachlin C.J. found that the claim did notrelate to how a collective agreement was to be interpreted or applied, but to whether the “process leading to the adoption of the allegeddiscriminatory clause and the inclusion of that clause in the agreement violates the [human rights legislation], rendering itunenforceable,” and therefore a labour arbitrator did not have exclusive jurisdiction (para. 24). [39] It is settled law that there can be concurrent jurisdiction between human rights tribunals and other tribunals: seeOntario (Human Rights Commission) v. Naraine, (ON CA), [2001] O.J.
No. 4937 (QL), at para. 48; NorthernRegional Health Authority v Manitoba Human Rights Commission et al., 2017 MBCA 98, [2017] M.J. No. 274 (QL), at para. 68;Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 583 v. Calgary (City of), 2007 ABCA 121, [2007] A.J. No. 374 (QL), as examples. [40] In this case, the motion judge correctly examined the nature of the claims advanced by Ms. Robson, and hedetermined the basis of her civil action could be distinguished from the nature of her complaint before the Human Rights Commission. Inthe human rights complaint, Ms. Robson joined another party as defendant, and she raised a Charter issue.
Once the motion judgedecided there were distinct claims raised, he was not required to stay the civil action pending the results of the human rightsinvestigation. I see no error in his analysis and I would dismiss this ground of the cross-appeal. V. Disposition [41] I would dismiss the appeal and the cross-appeal. Since neither party was successful, I would not award costs. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LA JUGE BAIRD
I. Introduction [1] Le présent appel concerne la décision d’un juge de radier certains paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande de l’appelante pour le motif qu’ils n’ont pas révélé une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. L’appel reconventionnel conteste la décision du juge saisi des motions de ne pas radier, en tout ou en partie, deux autres paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande et de ne pas suspendre l’instance civile en attendant les résultats d’une enquête devant la Commission des droits de la personne. Chacune des règles 22.04(1)a), 22.05, 23.01(2)
a) et 27.09c) des Règles de procédure s’applique. [2] L’action en question découle d’une convention collective signée en 2017 entre la
section locale 3339 du Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique (le SCFP ) et l’Université du Nouveau-Brunswick. L’article 26.01, cité par le juge saisi des motions, est ainsi libellé : [TRADUCTION] « Les employés prennent leur retraite au plus tard le 30 juin qui suit leur soixante-cinquième anniversaire de naissance. » [3] M me Robson était membre de la
section locale 3339 du SCFP lorsque la convention collective a été négociée et ratifiée, et elle a alors exprimé ses préoccupations à la
section locale 3339 du SCFP au sujet de l’art. 26.01. Le 28 juin 2017, lorsque M me Robson a atteint l’âge de 65 ans, l’université a exigé qu’elle quitte son poste d’adjointe administrative et prenne sa retraite, ce qu’elle a fait le 30 juin 2017. Le 4 juillet 2017, M me Robson a déposé une plainte auprès de la Commission des droits de la personne du Nouveau-Brunswick dans laquelle elle soutient que l’organisation nationale du SCFP, l’Université du Nouveau- Brunswick et la
section locale 3339 du SCFP ont fait preuve de discrimination envers elle en raison de son âge. [4] Après sa retraite, M me Robson a demandé sans succès à l’université de lui accorder une renonciation à l’art. 26.01 pour qu’elle puisse continuer de travailler. De plus, elle a demandé à la
section locale 3339 du SCFP de déposer un grief en son nom, pour le motif que l’art. 26.01 violait la
Loi sur les droits de la personne , L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 171 (la Loi ) et était discriminatoire. La
section locale 3339 du SCFP a refusé de déposer le grief. [5] En septembre 2017, M me Robson a intenté une action à la
section locale 3339 du SCFP dans laquelle elle réclame des dommages-intérêts pour manquement à son devoir de juste représentation lorsqu’elle a négocié l’art. 26.01; elle affirme aussi que la
section locale aurait dû déposer le grief comme elle le demandait, qu’elle aurait dû recevoir une renonciation, et que ses frais juridiques qui s’ensuivent avaient un lien de causalité avec ces faits. La
section locale 3339 s’est défendue contre l’action et a déposé une motion en vue d’obtenir une ordonnance de rejet
sommaire dans laquelle elle soutenait que l’exposé de la demande ne plaidait pas de faits déterminants pour établir un lien de causalité entre sa conduite alléguée et les dommages de M me Robson, et qu’il n’y avait aucune véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. Subsidiairement, elle demandait une ordonnance radiant certains paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande, ou encore la suspension de l’instance en attendant les résultats de l’enquête de la Commission des droits de la personne.
Elle demandait aussi que le par. 27b) de l’exposé de la demande, dans lequel M me Robson réclamait des dommages-intérêts punitifs, soit radié pour le motif qu’aucun fait déterminant n’était plaidé à l’appui de l’octroi d’un tel montant et que la demande était frivole. La
section locale 3339 du SCFP demandait à la Cour de rendre une ordonnance [TRADUCTION] « d’instruction de l’affaire » assortie de directives en application de la règle 22.05. De plus, la
section locale 3339 du SCFP a soutenu que l’assertion de M me Robson selon laquelle elle aurait dû lui accorder une renonciation était dénuée de fondement, car la demande ne lui en a pas été faite. [6] Des précédents permettent de conclure qu’un jugement
sommaire peut être rendu en tout ou en partie. Récemment, dans l’arrêt Babin c. C.J.M. Dieppe Investments Ltd. et TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. et Sood , 2019 NBCA 44 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 144 (QL), le juge en chef Richard a confirmé la décision d’accorder un jugement
sommaire à l’égard d’une des deux défenderesses nommément désignées. La règle 22.04 permet de rendre une ordonnance accordant un jugement
sommaire sur des parties d’une demande ou d’une défense s’il est déterminé qu’elles n’ont aucune chance de succès, ou si les parties sont d’accord pour que tout ou
partie de la demande soit tranché de la sorte (voir 22 King Street Inc. et autre c. La Banque de Nouvelle-Écosse , 2018 NBCA 16 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 42 (QL)). A. Décision du juge saisi des motions [7] Voici les conclusions du juge saisi des motions : a. Il a rejeté la motion en jugement
sommaire présentée par la
section locale 3339 du SCFP en vue du rejet de l’action.
b. Il a accueilli la motion en jugement
sommaire de la
section locale 3339 du SCFP à l’égard des demandes lui imputant un manquement à son devoir de juste représentation du fait qu’elle n’a pas déposé de grief et qu’elle n’a pas consenti à une renonciation à l’art. 26.01. c. Il a ordonné qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « loisible » à M me Robson de continuer sa demande engagée contre la
section locale 3339 du SCFP pour manquement allégué à son devoir de juste représentation du fait de sa négociation de l’art. 26.01 de la convention collective, sous réserve d’une décision éventuelle déterminant si la demande de dommages-intérêts punitifs serait radiée. d. Il a rejeté la motion de la
section locale 3339 du SCFP en radiation des par. 10 et 11 de l’exposé de la demande. e. Il a rejeté la motion de la
section locale 3339 du SCFP en suspension de l’instance en attendant le résultat de l’enquête relative aux droits de la personne. f. Il a ajourné l’audition de la motion de la
section locale 3339 du SCFP en radiation de la demande de dommages-intérêts punitifs. II. Moyens d’appel et d’appel reconventionnel [8] M me Robson fait appel de la décision du juge saisi des motions en soutenant qu’il a commis une erreur de droit du fait qu’il a rendu une ordonnance qui n’était pas une mesure réparatoire demandée dans la motion ni dans la motion modifiée déposées par la
section locale 3339 du SCFP. Elle affirme qu’il y a une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès et qu’un jugement
sommaire partiel n’aurait pas dû être rendu. Elle affirme de plus que le juge saisi des motions a commis une erreur de droit quand il a conclu qu’elle était tenue de soutenir dans sa plaidoirie que son grief aurait été accueilli. Subsidiairement, elle soutient que le juge saisi des motions aurait dû l’autoriser à modifier ses plaidoiries. [9] Dans son appel reconventionnel, la
section locale 3339 du SCFP soutient que le juge saisi des motions a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision quand il a rejeté sa demande de radier les par. 10 et 11 de l’exposé de la demande lorsque des violations des par. 4(1) et (3) de la Loi étaient alléguées, et affirme que la Cour n’a pas compétence pour instruire ce qui est en réalité une plainte d’atteinte aux droits de la personne.
Elle soutient de plus que le refus du juge saisi des motions de suspendre la poursuite civile en attendant le résultat de la plainte d’atteinte aux droits de la personne constitue une erreur de droit au motif que la Cour du Banc de la Reine n’a pas compétence pour instruire l’action, étant donné que la plainte pour discrimination relève davantage de la compétence de la Commission des droits de la personne.
Elle soutient que le juge saisi des motions a mal appliqué le critère juridique permettant qu’une instance soit suspendue en vertu de la règle 23.01(2). [10] Le juge saisi des motions a divisé en deux parties son analyse de la motion en jugement
sommaire de la
section locale 3339 du SCFP. [TRADUCTION] « Dans la première, elle soutient que M me Robson n’a plaidé aucun fait déterminant en vue d’établir un lien de causalité entre la conduite de la
section locale 3339 et les dommages reprochés. Dans la seconde, elle soutient que M me Robson n’a pas plaidé le fait essentiel que le grief qu’elle avait demandé à la
section locale 3339 de déposer en son nom aurait été accueilli. » (Par. 15) III. Norme de contrôle [11] Les erreurs de droit ou de compétence sont examinées selon la norme de la décision correcte : voir Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, au par. 8 . En l’espèce, l’appelante invoque quatre moyens d’appel. Seul le troisième est sujet à la norme de la décision correcte. Les autres moyens d’appel soulèvent des questions que le tribunal de révision doit examiner avec déférence, en l’absence d’une mauvaise application d’un principe juridique. Dans l’arrêt O’Toole c.
Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 14 (QL), le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), au nom de la Cour, a conclu, en appliquant l’arrêt Hryniak c. Mauldin , 2014 CSC 7 , [2014] 1 R.C.S. 87, que les appels des décisions relatives aux jugements
sommaires doivent être soumis à l’application des mêmes normes de contrôle qui s’appliquent à tous les appels. À moins que le juge ne se soit fondé sur des considérations erronées ou que sa décision soit erronée au point de créer une injustice, il n’y a pas lieu de modifier sa décision.
[12] Bref, comme l’a écrit la juge Karakatsanis dans l’arrêt Hryniak : Il n’existe pas de véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès lorsque le juge est en mesure de statuer justement etéquitablement au fond sur une requête en jugement
sommaire. Ce sera le cas lorsque la procédure de jugement
sommaire (1) permet aujuge de tirer les conclusions de fait nécessaires, (2) lui permet d’appliquer les règles de droit aux faits et (3) constitue un moyenproportionné, plus expéditif et moins coûteux d’arriver à un résultat juste. [Par. 49] [13] Dans la même veine, la juge d’appel Larlee affirme ce qui suit, dans l’arrêt Sullivan et la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Benoit et autres, 2019 NBCA 49, [2019] A.N.-B. no 172 (QL) : « […] si le juge saisi de la motionapplique un principe de droit incorrect ou commet une erreur au sujet d’une question purement juridique, la norme applicable est celle dela décision correcte. En l’absence d’une erreur de droit, l’exercice des pouvoirs que confère la nouvelle règle régissant les jugementssommaires commande la retenue. » (Par. 6) [14] L’appel reconventionnel de la
partie intimée soulève des questions mixtes de fait et de droitauxquelles la même norme de déférence s’applique, à moins que l’on ne conclue à l’existence d’une erreur isolable dans l’applicationd’un principe juridique, comme il a été indiqué (voir Housen, au par. 37). IV. Analyse en appel A. La décision du juge saisi des motions de radier la demande de Mme Robson concernant le défaut de déposer un grief et son refusde modifier les plaidoiries [15] Le juge saisi des motions a radié les par. 18 à 25 de l’exposé de la demande, dans lesquels Mme Robson affirmait avoir subi des dommages par suite du défaut de la
section locale 3339 du SCFP de déposer un grief en son nom.Elle affirme qu’il y a une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès et soutient que l’exposé de la demande contienttous les faits déterminants nécessaires pour justifier cette conclusion de droit. Elle soutient que le juge saisi des motions a fait erreur enconcluant qu’elle aurait dû plaider que son grief aurait été accueilli; subsidiairement, elle affirme que la règle 37.03a) exige quel’ordonnance demandée soit précisée dans la motion. Elle soutient que la
section locale 3339 du SCFP n’a pas expressément soulevé laquestion du défaut de plaider un lien de causalité entre le manquement au devoir de juste représentation et ses dommages jusqu’à ce quele syndicat dépose son mémoire. Le syndicat n’a affirmé ni dans la demande de mesure réparatoire formulée dans la motion ni dans lamotion modifiée qu’il demandait un jugement
sommaire pour le motif qu’elle avait omis de plaider que son grief aurait été accueilli; enconséquence, soutient-elle, le juge saisi des motions était tenu de lui accorder l’autorisation de modifier ses plaidoiries, dans l’intérêt dela justice. Elle invoque à l’appui de cet argument les décisions Conseil de la magistrature (N.-B.) c. Moreau-Bérubé (1999), (NB CA), 217 R.N.-B. (2e) 230, [1999] A.N.-B. no 336 (C.A.) (QL), au par. 4; Combined Holdings et al c. 620524 N.B. Inc. et al, 2017 NBQB 156 , 2017 NBBR 156, [2017] A.N.-B. no 199 (QL); et MacQuarrie c.
La Société hippique de Blainville, 2005 NBCA 92, 291 R.N.-B. (2e) 270. [16] L’analyse du juge saisi des motions sur ces questions se trouve au par. 24 de ses motifs : [TRADUCTION] Les assertions que fait Mme Robson aux par. 18 à 25 de son exposé de la demande à l’appui de l’allégation relative au grief, même sielles sont admises comme des faits établis, ne peuvent pas, sans plus, prouver cette demande, puisque, à moins qu’elle ne puisseégalement prouver que le grief aurait été accueilli, elle ne peut pas établir qu’elle a subi des dommages.
En conséquence, je conclusqu’étant donné son défaut de plaider ce fait déterminant, il s’ensuit que les assertions qu’elle fait aux par. 18 à 25 de l’exposé de lademande ne soulèvent pas une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. J’accueille donc la motion en jugementsommaire de la défenderesse quant à cette
partie de sa demande. [17] La
section locale 3339 du SCFP affirme que, comme aucun lien de causalité n’a été exposé dans les plaidoiries pour établir que le grief de Mme Robson aurait été accueilli en arbitrage, ce qui établirait un lien entre ses dommages et ledéfaut de déposer un grief, le juge saisi des motions a eu raison de rejeter cette
partie de l’exposé de la demande. Le juge saisi desmotions a conclu qu’il était nécessaire de plaider la question de savoir si le grief aurait été accueilli, sans quoi il n’y avait pas unevéritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès.
[18] Le devoir de juste représentation n’a pas été codifié au Nouveau-Brunswick; la common laws’applique donc. Le juge saisi des motions a renvoyé aux décisions Romard c. CUPE, Local 3264, 20 T.L.W.D. 2025-009; Stewart et al. c. Ryan (2002), (NB KB), 247 R.N.-B. (2e) 51, [2002] A.N.-B. no 53 (QL); et à la décision rendue en première instance dans l’affaire Goyetche et autres c.
IUOE et autres, 2017 NBBR 194, [2017] A.N.-B. no 310 (QL), qui ont appliqué le principegénéral selon lequel le demandeur doit plaider un lien de causalité entre la conduite alléguée du syndicat et les pertes alléguées dudemandeur. [19] La règle 27.06(1) prescrit qu’une plaidoirie doit exposer les faits déterminants sur lesquels une
partie s’appuie pour prouver sa demande. Mme Robson soutient que la plainte d’atteinte aux droits de la personne est le lien de causalitéde sa poursuite civile, car ses dommages ont un lien de causalité avec le fait qu’elle a engagé des frais juridiques découlant de cetteplainte. Au paragraphe 35 de son mémoire, elle affirme qu’on peut [TRADUCTION] « inférer » ce lien de causalité du fait que, parceque la
section locale 3339 n’a pas voulu déposer un grief, elle a dû retenir les services d’un avocat pour déposer la plainte d’atteinte auxdroits de la personne. En toute déférence, je ne suis pas de cet avis. Dans l’arrêt Canada (Procureur général) c. Lameman, 2008 CSC 14,[2008] 1 R.C.S. 372, la Cour suprême conclut qu’une décision relative à une motion en jugement
sommaire doit être fondée sur ledossier présenté à la Cour, et non sur des conjectures sur la preuve qui pourrait être présentée plus tard si l’affaire était instruite (par. 11). [20] Devant nous, Mme Robson a soutenu que dans les affaires Romard et Stewart les réclamants onteu gain de cause malgré leur incapacité de prouver qu’un grief serait accueilli, et elle a soutenu que dans la décision rendue en premièreinstance dans l’affaire Goyetche, la question du grief n’était pas déterminante et n’était mentionnée que dans les remarques incidentes. C’est vrai, mais ce n’est pas nécessairement utile à Mme Robson.
Dans la décision Romard, la Cour a rejeté les demandes du demandeurpour perte de revenu pour le motif que le demandeur n’avait pas prouvé que son grief serait accueilli; seules ses demandes poursouffrance morale, pour une
partie de son recyclage et pour les honoraires d’avocat engagés pour interjeter appel de sa demanded’assurance-emploi ont été accueillies. Le demandeur dans l’affaire Stewart a eu gain de cause et n’a obtenu que des dommages-intérêtssymboliques, étant donné les circonstances particulières de l’affaire, qui incluaient une conclusion de négligence de la part de son avocat. [21] Il est vrai que les remarques incluses dans la décision rendue par le tribunal inférieur dansl’affaire Goyetche étaient incidentes, mais un appel de cette décision a été entendu depuis par notre Cour (voir l’arrêt Goyetche et autresc.
International Union of Operating Engineers et autres, 2019 NBCA 16, [2019] A.N.-B. no 36 (QL)). L’appel a été rejeté parce que laCour a conclu que le grief aurait été rejeté; par conséquent, il n'existait aucune véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d'unprocès.
Dans ses motifs, le juge d’appel Drapeau a conclu ce qui suit : Lorsqu’il applique le critère imposé par la règle 22 à une affaire comme celle dont nous sommes saisis, le tribunal doit déterminer quelleaurait été l’issue convenable du grief en cause compte tenu du libellé pertinent des conventions collectives et du régime de pension etrendre une décision sur ce fondement. […] [Par. 47] [22] Plus loin dans cette décision, le juge d’appel Drapeau conclut : Il reste à déterminer si l’origine du devoir de représentation sur lequel repose la revendication des appelants se trouve dans les statutsrespectifs des intimés.
À cet égard, je conclus que les intimés ont omis de faire de leur mieux, comme l’exigent la règle 22 et l’arrêtO’Toole c. Peterson. Les appelants ont effectivement présenté une liste détaillée des dispositions des statuts qui pourraientvraisemblablement donner naissance à un devoir de juste représentation, mais les intimés se sont abstenus de répondre en faisantréférence à des clauses des statuts favorables à leur thèse ou en citant une jurisprudence sur la question.
Cela étant, l’existence d’undevoir de représentation constituerait une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès, mais je suis arrivé à la conclusionque les griefs que, selon ce qu’affirment les appelants, les sections locales auraient dû poursuivre auraient été rejetés. [Par. 53] [23] Pareillement, en l’espèce, aucune preuve n’a été présentée au juge saisi des motions à l’appui de l’assertion de Mme Robson selon laquelle la
section locale 3339 avait le devoir de déposer un grief en son nom, et aucune preuve n’indiquait non plus que la Constitution l’obligeait à le faire dans les circonstances. La demande de Mme Robson ne découle pas du faitque les actes de l’employeur quand il a mis fin à son emploi violaient une disposition de la convention collective, mais du fait quel’employeur a mis fin à son emploi en application de l’art. 26.01 d’une convention collective ratifiée et que la
section locale 3339 duSCFP a refusé de déposer un grief. La présente affaire n’est pas un cas de congédiement injustifié et se distingue clairement de la plaidoirie subsidiaire de Mme Robson, qui allègue un manquement au devoir de juste représentation dans le contexte du processus denégociation collective. Le juge saisi des motions a reconnu que cette distinction consistait dans le fait qu’il s’agissait d’une demandeaffirmant qu’il y a eu manquement au devoir de juste représentation dans la négociation de la clause contestée et soulevant également ledéfaut de déposer un grief.
[24] Le juge en chef Drapeau a examiné une motion en radiation d’une plaidoirie dans l’arrêt Sewell c. Compagnie d’assurance ING du Canada, 2007 NBCA 42, 314 R.N.-B. (2e) 330, aux par. 22 à 26. Dans ses motifs, il a renvoyé à l’arrêt Caissie c. Sénéchal Estate et al., 2001 NBCA 35, 237 R.N.-B. (2e) 232, aux par. 10 et 11, où la Cour explique l’objet de larègle 23.01(1)b), qui est de permettre la radiation d’une plaidoirie qui, à première vue, ne révèle aucune cause d’action ni de défense.
Deplus, dans le cas habituel, une preuve qui est censée constituer un fondement factuel pour l’action ou la défense n’est pas admissible, saufsur autorisation. La motion est tranchée d’après la preuve par ailleurs versée au dossier. [25] En l’espèce, après avoir conclu que Mme Robson n’a pas plaidé les faits déterminantsnécessaires pour prouver le fondement sur lequel son grief aurait été accueilli, et qu’en conséquence il n’y avait pas une véritablequestion litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès, le juge saisi des motions a légitimement exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire.
Saconclusion était fondée, et je ne la modifierais pas. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. [26] Mme Robson soutient qu’une fois que le juge saisi des motions a déterminé que les plaidoiriesétaient insuffisantes, la règle 27.10(1) exigeait qu’il lui accorde la permission de modifier sa plaidoirie pour permettre la détermination de la véritable question en litige. Elle invoque les arrêts Béchard c. Ouellet (1999), (NB CA), 210 R.N.-B. (2e) 246, [1999] A.N.-B. no 145 (C.A.) (QL), au par. 5; Sewell c. ING Insurance Company of Canada, précité, au par. 26; et Michaud c.
Robertson et al. (1992), (NB CA), 126 R.N.-B. (2e) 247, [1992] A.N.-B. no 455 (C.A.) (QL), à l’appui de cet argument. En toutedéférence, je ne souscris pas à cette assertion. [27] Dans les affaires susmentionnées, les tribunaux étaient appelés à examiner ce que la justiceexige dans l’affaire donnée, afin d’assurer une solution équitable de chaque instance sur le fond, de la façon la moins coûteuse et la plus expéditive, en application de la règle 1.03(2). En l’espèce, Mme Robson n’a pas demandé l’autorisation de modifier ses plaidoiries, mêmesi la
section locale 3339 du SCFP a soulevé cette question dans son mémoire préparatoire à la motion et si elle avait été avisée que laquestion serait plaidée. Je n’interprète pas la règle 27.10(1) au sens où elle exigerait qu’un juge modifie des plaidoiries de sa propreinitiative. L’autorisation de les modifier n’a pas été demandée, et, à mon avis, pour cette raison, ce moyen d’appel est sans fondement. V. Analyse de l’appel reconventionnel A. Le refus du juge saisi des motions de radier les par. 10 et 11 de l’exposé de la demande [28]
Les paragraphes 10 et 11 de l’exposé de la demande sont ainsi libellés : [TRADUCTION] 10. L’article 26.01 est discriminatoire en raison de l’âge en ce qu’il prescrit la retraite obligatoire des membres de l’unité de négociationqui ont atteint soixante-cinq ans (la clause discriminatoire), en violation des par. 4(1) et (3) de la
Loi sur les droits de la personne,L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 171. 11. La
partie défenderesse a manqué à son devoir de juste représentation en négociant l’inclusion de la clause discriminatoire dans laconvention collective, ce qui a eu des conséquences défavorables directes pour la demanderesse. [29] Les motifs du juge saisi des motions montrent clairement qu’il était conscient de sa compétenceaux termes de la règle 22; de fait, aux par. 13 et 14 des motifs, il renvoie avec raison aux deux arrêts Hryniak et O’Toole.
Lesparagraphes 10 et 11 de l’exposé de la demande soulèvent une cause d’action fondée sur un manquement présumé au devoir de justereprésentation en [TRADUCTION] « négociant l’inclusion [d’une] clause discriminatoire dans la convention collective, ce qui a eu desconséquences défavorables directes pour la demanderesse ». [30] Le juge saisi des motions conclut, quant à la première partie, que les dommages peuventfacilement être inférés [TRADUCTION] « tant de l’allégation voulant que le manquement de la défenderesse ait causé la perte de sonemploi que du libellé des al. 27a) et
b) de l’exposé de la demande […]. » Il a examiné attentivement les plaidoiries et a conclu que le liende causalité entre les dommages reprochés et les faits déterminants énoncés dans les paragraphes précédents était établi par les mots [TRADUCTION] « en conséquence » figurant au début du par. 27 de l’exposé de la demande. Mme Robson soutient à cet égard que laclause discriminatoire a causé la perte de son emploi et que, en conséquence, elle a subi [TRADUCTION] « une perte de revenu, une
perte d’avantages sociaux, y compris des prestations de retraite, d’assurance-maladie, d’assurance dentaire, d’assurance-vie et invalidité,et des frais juridiques engagés en vue de la plainte d’atteinte aux droits de [sa] personne […] ». [31] Le juge saisi des motions a conclu que les plaidoiries affirmaient un lien de causalité entre la perte de l’emploi de Mme Robson et le manquement allégué au devoir de juste représentation dans la négociation de l’art. 26.01, qui estsuffisant pour soulever une cause d’action justiciable. Une motion en jugement
sommaire est tranchée d’après le dossier. En l’espèce, lejuge saisi des motions a déterminé, correctement à mon avis, qu’il y avait un fondement factuel et soutenable suffisant pour justifier la tenue d’un procès au sujet de la demande de dommages-intérêts de Mme Robson découlant des actes de la
section locale 3339 du SCFPpendant la négociation de l’art. 26.01. Le juge saisi des motions a conclu que la seule inférence logique était que les dommages reprochés avaient un lien avec la perte d’emploi que Mme Robson a attribuée au manquement au devoir de juste représentation commispar la
section locale 3339 du SCFP lorsqu’il a négocié l’art. 26.01. En rejetant la motion en jugement
sommaire sur ce point, le juge saisi des motions a conclu qu’il n’y avait [TRADUCTION] « aucun fondement » à l’assertion voulant que Mme Robson n’ait pas plaidé unlien de causalité entre l’allégation de manquement au devoir de juste représentation et les dommages qu’elle affirme avoir subis et quisont énoncés au par. 27. [32] Je ne relève d’erreur, ni dans l’analyse du juge saisi des motions, ni dans sa conclusion sur cepoint, et je ne la modifierais pas. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel reconventionnel. B. Le juge saisi des motions aurait-il dû suspendre l’instance? [33] Dans son appel reconventionnel, la
section locale 3339 du SCFP soutient que la poursuite civileaurait dû être suspendue en attendant une décision de la Commission des droits de la personne. Les paragraphes 4(1) et (3) de la Loiinterdisent la discrimination envers une personne en matière d’emploi pour un motif de distinction illicite. L’article 17 de la Loi confèreà la Commission des droits de la personne la compétence sur les plaintes relatives à une violation de la Loi.
Essentiellement, la sectionlocale 3339 du SCFP soutient que la Commission des droits de la personne a une compétence exclusive en l’espèce et que les par. 10 et11 de l’exposé de la demande auraient dû être radiés; subsidiairement, elle soutient que la poursuite civile aurait dû être suspendue dansl’attente des résultats de l’enquête relative aux droits de la personne. [34] Le juge saisi des motions a conclu que les demandes formulées aux par. 10 et 11 de l’exposé dela demande se distinguaient de la plainte d’atteinte aux droits de la personne. La
section locale 3339 du SCFP soutient qu’il ne peut yavoir qu’un endroit où plaider une plainte pour discrimination : la Commission des droits de la personne. Elle renvoie à la décision Nicholas et al. c. Mullin et al. (1998), (NB KB), 199 R.N.-B. (2e) 219, [1998] A.N.-B. no 123 (N.B.B.R.) (QL), oùla Cour a conclu qu’elle n’était pas dûment saisie de la demande civile de la demanderesse pour discrimination alléguée fondée sur lesexe et pour harcèlement sexuel et que la Loi ne laissait pas place à une poursuite civile fondée sur la discrimination. La
section locale 3339 du SCFP soutient qu’une fois que Mme Robson a déposé une plainte auprès de la Commission des droits de la personne,celle-ci s’est saisie de la plainte pour discrimination, et que la même question en litige ne devrait pas être tranchée par deux organismesd’arbitrage distincts. [35] Mme Robson affirme que le devoir de juste représentation inclut l’obligation d’un syndicat de nepas agir de façon discriminatoire, que la common law s’applique et qu’elle a le droit de maintenir sa poursuite civile pour ce motif.
Lejuge saisi des motions a résolu la question en examinant la teneur des demandes dont il était saisi. La clé, à mon avis, réside dans son analyse concernant l’assertion de Mme Robson selon laquelle la
section locale 3339 du SCFP a manqué à son devoir de justereprésentation en négociant l’art. 26.01. [36] Dans les arrêts Seneca College c. Bhadauria, (SCC), [1981] 2 R.C.S. 181, [1981] A.C.S. no 76 (QL), à la p. 195; et Honda Canada Inc. c. Keays, 2008 CSC 39, [2008] 2 R.C.S. 362, la Cour suprême conclutqu’une réparation ne peut être obtenue sur le fondement de la common law lorsque les dispositions substantielles d’une
loi sur les droitsde la personne se doublent d’un mécanisme complet d’application. Dans l’arrêt Québec (Commission des droits de la personne et desdroits de la jeunesse) c. Québec (Procureur général), 2004 CSC 39, [2004] 2 R.C.S. 185, la Cour suprême affirme qu’une analyserelative à la compétence inclut deux réflexions : 1. en premier lieu, un examen des dispositions législatives en cause qui confèrent la compétence aux tribunaux concurrents; 2. en second lieu, la nature du litige, considérée dans tout son contexte factuel (par. 15).
[37] La question de la compétence exclusive ou concomitante dans les affaires où des demandessemblables sont présentées à deux tribunaux différents a été examinée par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Weber c. Ontario Hydro, (SCC), [1995] 2 R.C.S. 929, [1995] A.C.S. no 59 (QL). On pourrait soutenir que, comme les demandes formulées dans cetteaffaire découlaient de questions présentées à des tribunaux concurrents, elles peuvent être distinguées l’une de l’autre.
L’arrêt Weber areçu une interprétation large en faveur de la proposition voulant que l’on conclue à la compétence exclusive si l’on peut montrer que lelégislateur avait l’intention d’établir des régimes législatifs exclusifs.
Il est à remarquer que la Loi ne contient aucune dispositiond’exclusivité. [38] Dans l’arrêt Québec (Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse), précité,la juge en chef McLachlin, au nom de la majorité, écrit que si la législation ne confère pas une compétence exclusive à un tribunal, unautre tribunal peut trancher l’affaire si, quand elle est considérée dans tout son contexte factuel, elle ne relève pas de la compétence del’autre (par. 20).
La juge en chef McLachlin a conclu que la demande ne concernait pas la façon dont une convention collective doit êtreinterprétée ou appliquée, mais la question de savoir si le « processus ayant mené à l’adoption de la clause tenue pour discriminatoire etl’insertion de celle-ci dans la convention collective contreviennent à la [législation sur les droits de la personne], rendant de ce fait laclause inapplicable », et que, par conséquent, un arbitre en droit du travail n’avait pas la compétence exclusive (par. 24). [39] Il est bien établi en droit qu’il peut y avoir compétence concomitante entre les tribunaux desdroits de la personne et d’autres tribunaux : voir, à
titre d’exemples, les arrêts Ford Motor Co. of Canada c. Ontario (Human RightsCommission), (ON CA), [2001] O.J. No. 4937 (QL), au par. 48; Northern Regional Health Authority c. ManitobaHuman Rights Commission et al., 2017 MBCA 98, [2017] M.J. No. 274 (QL), au par. 68; et Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 583 c.Calgary (City of), 2007 ABCA 121, [2007] A.J.
No. 374 (QL). [40] En l’espèce, le juge saisi des motions a examiné correctement la teneur des demandes présentées par Mme Robson, et il a déterminé que le fondement de sa poursuite civile se distinguait de la teneur de sa plainte devant la Commission des droits de la personne. Dans la plainte d’atteinte aux droits de la personne, Mme Robson a ajouté une autre
partie commedéfenderesse et a soulevé une question relative à la Charte. Une fois qu’il a décidé que les demandes présentées étaient distinctes, le jugesaisi des motions n’était pas tenu de suspendre la poursuite civile en attendant les résultats de l’enquête relative aux droits de lapersonne. Je ne vois aucune erreur dans son analyse, et je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel reconventionnel. VI. Dispositif [41] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et l’appel reconventionnel. Aucune
partie n’ayant eu gain de cause, je n’adjugeraispas de dépens.