2019 NBCA 48, 2019 NBCA 48
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 59-18-CA BONNIE L. MURRAY APPELLANT BONNIE L. MURRAY APPELANTE - and - - et - WORKPLACE HEALTH, SAFETY AND COMPENSATION COMMISSION RESPONDENT COMMISSION DE LA SANTÉ, DE LA SÉCURITÉ ET DE L’INDEMNISATION DES ACCIDENTS AU TRAVAIL INTIMÉE Murray v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission, 2019 NBCA 48 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Murray c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail, 2019 NBCA 48 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Tribunal: April 9, 2018 Appel d’une décision du Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail: le 9 avril 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: March 13, 2019 Appel entendu : le 13 mars 2019
Judgment rendered: June 20, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 20 juin 2019 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: Bonnie Murray, on her own behalf For the respondent : Matthew Robert Letson Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French Avocats à l'audience : Bonnie Murray, en son propre nom Pour l’intimée : Matthew Robert Letson THE COURT The appeal is dismissed without costs . LA COUR L’appel est rejeté sans dépens.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Bonnie L. Murray appeals a decision of the Worker’s Compensation Appeals Tribunal dated April 9, 2018. Subsection 21(12) of the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission and Workers’ Compensation Appeals Tribunal Act , S.N.B. 1994, c. W-14 (“ WHSCC & WCAT Act ”) reads: 21
(12) Any decision, order or ruling of the Appeals Tribunal shall be final, subject only to an appeal to the Court of Appeal involving any question as to its jurisdiction or any question of law. 21
(12) Toute décision du Tribunal d'appel est définitive, sujet seulement à un appel devant la Cour d'appel concernant toute question de compétence ou de droit. II. Grounds of Appeal [ 2 ] Ms. Murray contends the decision is wrong because the Tribunal failed to properly weigh subjective evidence concerning her medical condition, it ignored key evidence of her personal physician and it relied upon the evidence of medical
specialists, finding it was “bound” by their opinions. Ms. Murray also submits the Tribunal erred in law when it concluded her medical complaints were not the result of the aggravation of a pre-existing condition or disease, but rather, her medical condition was the result of the aggravation of the symptoms of osteoarthritis. She argues the Tribunal misinterpreted s. 7(5) of the Workers’ Compensation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973 c.
W-13 , arguing it: 1. failed to consider her evidence; 2. failed to consider the reliability and validity of her findings, opinions and conclusions (referring to her subjective complaints); 3. failed to consider paragraphs 3.3 and 3.4 of Policy 21-100; and 4. failed to consider the findings of her personal physician, Dr. Lisa Sutherland and the “contribution to my medical condition from my multiple workstations.” III. Standard of Review [ 3 ] In Raiche v.
Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission , 2015 NBCA 52 , 439 N.B.R. (2d) 388, Drapeau C.J.N.B., as he then was, concludes that on appellate review from the decision of a Tribunal, the standard of review for questions of law is correctness (para. 10). In Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission v. St.-Onge , 2018 NBCA 53 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 198 (QL), Richard C.J.N.B. reiterates the same standard at para. 13. [ 4 ] Questions of mixed fact and law, absent an extricable question of law, are reviewed on the standard of reasonableness (see Perry v.
Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission and Correctional Services Canada , 2018 NBCA 80 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 291 (QL), at para. 22 ). Questions of fact are generally limited to errors that reflect non-compliance with the law, specifically the statutory obligation to determine claims upon their real merits (see VSL Canada Ltd. v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission and Duguay et al. , 2011 NBCA 76 , 376 N.B.R. (2d) 292, at para. 27 ). [ 5 ] In Perry , Quigg J.A. discusses in detail the Court’s authority to intervene when errors of jurisdiction are asserted (paras. 19-23). In
summary, the Court is an error-correcting court. Without any words of limitation, correctness is the review standard for pure questions of law and jurisdiction, while reasonableness is the applicable standard of review for questions of mixed fact and law ( VSL Canada Ltd. at para. 25 ). [ 6 ] In this case where errors of law are advanced, the standard of review is correctness. IV. Analysis A. Ms. Murray’s evidence [ 7 ] In April 2017, Ms. Murray completed Form 67, report of Accident or Occupational Disease, in which she summarized the basis of her claim.
She writes that in January 2015, she was reassigned by her employer to a position which required her to move to a new office where, she states, the workstation was ergonomically incorrect. She worked there for approximately seven and a half months before being transferred to another office where she asserts the workstation was worse. She worked in that office for approximately three and a half months.
She reported her hands were not supported, she was required to do a lot of typing (about 85% of the time), page flipping of books and carrying larger books, and she self-reported that her hands became “very” painful. As a result, she requested an occupational therapist’s assessment to address the ongoing pain in her hands, wrists and forearms. [ 8 ] Ms. Murray explained she experienced ongoing pain in both hands that radiated through her arms to the midpoint. She stated she first reported this discomfort to her family physician, Dr.
Lisa Sutherland, in April 2015, about four months after she started working in the new office. Dr. Sutherland referred her to plastic surgeon Dr. Geoffrey S. Cook, and surgery was performed on her right hand in September 2016. She reported the surgery was “somewhat” successful, but that she would also require surgery on her left hand. In March 2017, Ms. Murray again met with Dr. Sutherland to complain about the pain in her hands. At that time, Dr. Sutherland completed a Form 8 in support of her claim for benefits.
B. The processing of Ms. Murray’s claim [ 9 ] Ms. Murray’s initial claim for benefits was denied by WorkSafeNB. The denial letter explains the criteria that was applied and the medical evidence that was reviewed prior to that determination. The evidence included reports from Dr. Sutherland, Dr. Cook, and physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist Dr. Patricia Forgeron. [ 10 ] Dr. Forgeron’s Clinical Impressions and Recommendations in May 2016, included the following statement: Ms. Murray has osteoarthritis of her hands.
Imaging has shown worsening of osteoarthritic changes as per her most recent imaging of April 21, 2016. Imaging also showed scapholunate widening of both wrists, deformity of the lunate and scaphoid as well as degeneration of the trapezium and first CMC joint […]. [ 11 ] Notably, Dr. Forgeron’s report advised she had reviewed an earlier X-ray report of Ms. Murray’s hands, dated October 1, 2013, where the following was noted: Radiographs of the hands demonstrate interphalangeal joint space narrowing diffusely most pronounced in the left 3 rd DIP joint consistent with osteoarthritic change.
There is relative [sparring] of the MCP joints however both wrists demonstrate significant involvement of the 1 st carpometacarpal joint again consistent with osteoarthritic change. Bilateral radiocarpal joint osteoarthritic change is also noted. [ 12 ] Dr. Sutherland wrote on March 13, 2017, that Ms. Murray’s condition was “[…] underlying osteoarthritis and not overtly work caused but aggravated by work.” In August 2017, Dr. Sutherland wrote another report in which she states: […] I have previously sent all of my records which relate to Mrs. Murray’s hand conditions.
I validate the statement in my March 13, 2017 progress note which comments on Ms. Murray having pre-existing osteoarthritis in her hands and that her symptoms from this condition are aggravated by her present job . [Emphasis added.] [ 13 ] Dr. Cook expressed the opinion on September 14, 2017, that: Bonnie Murray has been seen over the past year and a half for issues in her upper extremities. Approximately one year ago she underwent surgery for arthritis.
This was extremely advanced when I saw her in the spring of 2016. […] As per your question regarding the direct relation to her job, I do not feel this is the case. I reviewed your extensive and thorough work place assessment. This is an office based job with low impact and low load on hands. I do not see anything in the report that would have a high likelihood of a worsening of a pre-existing condition . Again, symptoms were likely present at work but I do not feel that this particular occupation in any way worsened or accelerated the arthritis process. [Emphasis added.] [ 14 ] Following a review of Ms.
Murray’s claim, WorkSafeNB requested a report from its medical advisor, Dr. Boak, to advise whether, or not, Ms. Murray’s work activities aggravated or exacerbated her pre-existing condition. As a result, a Risk Factor Analysis was performed. On October 5, 2017, WorkSafeNB decided, based on its review of the above reports, that Ms. Murray’s condition was both pre-existing and would have worsened regardless of her work. It concluded there was no evidence Ms. Murray’s osteoarthritis was aggravated or exacerbated by her work activities and it denied her claim. Ms.
Murray’s subsequent appeal to the Tribunal was denied for the same reasons. C. Analysis
[ 15 ]
Section 21 of the WHSCC & WCAT Act requires the Appeals Tribunal to examine into, hear and determine matters arising out of an appeal. In doing so, the Tribunal makes its decision based on the real merits of the case.
At the time this matter was heard by the Tribunal, it could decline to apply a policy approved by the Commission in certain circumstances; however, the inconsistency of any policy with the legislation does not arise in this case. [ 16 ] Policy No. 21-113 states that WorkSafeNB, which is often referred to as the “Commission,” has the authority under s. 34(1) to make decisions related to all matters under the Workers’ Compensation Act , with the exception of issues under ss. 42.1 and 42.2 of the Act.
This exclusive jurisdiction extends to determining: i. the existence of, and degree of, disability by reason of any injury; ii. the permanence of disability by reason of any injury; iii. whether personal injury or death has been caused by accident; and iv. whether an accident arose out of and in the course of an employment within the scope of the WC Act . [ 17 ] Policy Statement No. 21-113 at
section 2.0 states: According to subsection 34(4) of the WC Act , decisions must be based on the real merits of each individual case. WorkSafeNB is not bound to follow strict legal precedent or statutory rules of evidence. WorkSafeNB ensures its decisions are based on the real merits of the case by using the decision-making discipline outlined in
section 4.0 of this policy. [ 18 ]
Section 4.0 of the same Policy states that WorkSafeNB is to follow an inquiry model in its decision-making process. This requires the decision maker to gather information and to follow a disciplined and consistent approach to making fact-based decisions. This process has four steps which include:
a) gathering information;
b) establishing and weighing evidence;
c) determining facts;
e) applying facts within the context of legislation and policy to make the decision. [ 19 ] The decision maker has the authority to review and to weigh all the evidence, to assess credibility, and to decide which of the evidence he or she accepts before determining the matter. One report should have no binding authority over another based solely on the fact the physician or the expert is, or is not, a specialist in a certain field. In fact,
section 3 of Policy 21-133 reads: Subsection 7(f.1) of the WHSCC & WCAT A ct provides the Board of Directors with the authority to establish policies. Board policies are developed using a rigorous discipline outlined in Policy 41-004 Governance – Policy Development and Evaluation. As of April 1, 2015, the WCAT is required by ss. 21(9) of the WHSCC & WCAT Act to apply Board policies in its decisions unless the policy is inconsistent with legislation. [ 20 ] In Paul v. WorkSafe NB , 2018 NBCA 47 , [2018] N.B.J.
No. 169 (QL), the Court decided the Tribunal erred by failing to consider the appellant’s testimony and in reversing the onus to require her to produce physical evidence to rebut WorkSafeNB’s conclusion she failed to demonstrate effort during a Functional Capacity Assessment. The appellant’s lack of objective evidence was the sole basis for the Tribunal’s refusal to overturn WorkSafeNB’s decision to deny benefits. This was considered reversible error because this subjective evidence was required.
[ 21 ] Similarly, Ms. Murray submits the Tribunal did not consider subjective evidence concerning her complaints, and she asserts it reversed the onus. I disagree. The question whether Ms. Murray’s pre-existing condition of osteoarthritis was aggravated by her work fell squarely within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Tribunal to decide based on a preponderance of evidence. It did not reverse the onus and require Ms. Murray to offer evidence to rebut WorkSafeNB’s conclusion her condition was not aggravated or exacerbated by reason of her workstation.
Its decision was based on the preponderance of evidence that convinced the Tribunal it was her symptoms that were aggravated for a period, and not her condition that worsened. This was supported by objective medical evidence that her condition was progressive in nature. As noted, her family physician stated this in her report dated August 2017. The symptoms of her osteoarthritis were exacerbated; however, the progressive nature of her condition was as predicted by medical professionals. [ 22 ] In this case, the Tribunal reviewed the facts as summarized above.
It was aware of, and in fact traced, the history of Ms. Murray’s complaints and conducted a review of all the medical reports, including those of the family physician, Dr. Sutherland. The Tribunal’s decision included excerpts from the reports as it summarized Ms. Murray’s documented medical history.
It noted the Risk Factor Analysis which was performed by the occupational therapist and it included an excerpt from that report in which it was stated: “[s]he does have a pre-existing issue with osteoarthritis in her wrists and CMC joints prior to beginning work as a worker’s advocate.” The Tribunal noted the therapist’s conclusion that the presence of risk factors for this diagnosis of right and left wrist/thumb RSI was not identified.
It referred to s. 7(5) of the Workers’ Compensation Act and correctly identified the legal test by referring to a June 2017 letter from WorkSafeNB where it was stated: When evidence shows that the accident arose in the time and place of employment, WorkSafeNB must presume that it also arose out of the employment unless there is evidence that contradicts or is inconsistent with the presumption.
If there is evidence that contradicts or is inconsistent with the presumption, WorkSafeNB decides if the accident arose out of and in the course of employment based on the preponderance, or weight, of the evidence. [ 23 ] Section 7(5) of the Workers’ Compensation Act states: Aggravation or exacerbation of pre- existing disease or condition 7
(5) When a personal injury by accident arising out of and in the course of employment exacerbates or aggravates a pre- existing disease or condition, compensation that the Commission determines is reasonably attributable to the injury caused by the accident shall be payable, and not for the natural progression of the pre-existing disease or condition. Aggravation ou exacerbation d’une maladie ou condition préexistante
(5) Lorsqu’une lésion corporelle subie par suite d’un accident qui s’est produit du fait et au cours de l’emploi aggrave ou exacerbe une maladie ou condition préexistante, la Commission accorde l’indemnité à laquelle elle estime que cette lésion donne raisonnablement droit, mais aucune indemnité n’est accordée à l’égard de la progression naturelle de la maladie ou de la condition préexistante. [ 24 ] Ms. Murray asserts the Tribunal did not interpret Policy 21-101, Conditions for Entitlement-Pre-Existing Conditions (release 004) correctly.
It reads: In many cases the medical evidence on file clearly shows that the compensable workplace injury either did, or did not, impact the pre- existing condition.
However, when this assessment becomes more complex, WorkSafeNB must use reliable, objective, standards to determine if it is medically probable that the compensable workplace injury impacted the pre-existing condition. [ 25 ] As it pertains to the weighing of conflicting evidence, Policy 21-113, s. 4.2.3 (release 003), states: Weighing Evidence, Including Conflicting Medical Evidence • When addressing conflicting evidence, including conflicting medical evidence, WorkSafeNB evaluates the credibility and quality of the evidence provided or gathered and considers the following criteria:
[…] • The expertise of the individuals providing the opinions as it relates to the issue under evaluation, bearing in mind the standard of proof in the WC Act in 7(2.1) differs from scientific standards employed by medical experts; […] • Objective evidence is likely to be more reliable than subjective evidence, especially when objective evidence supports corroborating opinions between multiple observers[.] [ 26 ] In its reasons, the Tribunal identified the applicable policies. It recognized there was a difference of opinion between Dr.
Sutherland and the other medical experts, with respect to the progression of Ms. Murray’s symptoms. It correctly observed Policy 21-113 on this issue. I discern no error in its statement of the legal principles, nor in its application of the facts to them in this case. However, the Tribunal sums up with the following: I am bound to follow the policy in accepting the expertise of Dr.
Cook, a plastic surgeon, as well as the opinion of the medical advisor who is a certified independent medical examiner over the opinion of the appellant’s personal physician, that the appellant’s condition was not aggravated but rather her symptoms were aggravated . In order to meet the requirement of subsection 7(5) of the WC Act, the employment must be seen to aggravate the condition.
As a result, I find that the appellant does not fall within the terms of aggravating a pre-existing disease or condition, but rather has aggravated the symptoms of her osteoarthritis. [paras. 16-17 ] [Emphasis added.] [ 27 ] With respect, the Tribunal’s choice of the word, “bound”, was incorrect, but nothing in the policy made that conclusion inevitable. It was under no obligation to “follow the policy” in accepting the opinions of the specialists over that of the family physician. The expertise of the individuals providing the opinions is but one consideration.
There is no stated policy requiring the Tribunal to be bound by the opinion of a specialist, over that of a family physician. There is a requirement in Policy 21-113 to weigh the medical evidence, as noted. In the totality of the decision, although an unfortunate slip, it is my opinion the Tribunal’s reasons reflect a consideration of all the evidence, an understanding of its role as a reviewing tribunal, an understanding and application of the proper legal tests, and a comprehensive analysis based on the merits of the case. The majority of the medical opinions simply did not support Ms.
Murray’s assertion that her condition was aggravated by her work (see Golding v. WorkSafeNB et al. , 2019 NBCA 40 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 121, at para. 65 ). [ 28 ] In Higgins v. Arseneau , 2019 NBCA 21 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 43 (QL), Larlee J.A. found a trial judge’s use of the words, “standard of review of simple probability,” alone, would have constituted reversible error; however, the Court concluded the trial judge’s decision was correct, for the reasons stated (paras. 19-20).
In this case, the Tribunal came to the right conclusion, and in my view, the use of the word “bound” should not vitiate an otherwise sound decision. [ 29 ] Ms. Murray’s contention the Tribunal did not consider her subjective evidence lacks merit. Its decision reflects a reasoned review of all the evidence. That evidence was assessed and it was weighed. The Tribunal fulfilled its role as required. I see no error that would support appellate intervention and I would dismiss the appeal. V.
Disposition [ 30 ] Section 23(9) of the WHSCC & WCAT Act permits a court to make an order for costs in an appeal; however, generally, this discretion has been exercised so as to avoid ordering costs against a worker. The appeal is therefore dismissed without costs.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction [1] Bonnie L. Murray interjette appel d’une décision du Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail datée du 9 avril 2018. Le paragraphe 21(12) de la
Loi sur la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et le Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail , L.N.-B. 1994, ch. W-14 (la
Loi sur la CSSIAT et le TAAT), prévoit ce qui suit : 21
(12) Any decision, order or ruling of the Appeals Tribunal shall be final, subject only to an appeal to the Court of Appeal involving any question as to its jurisdiction or any question of law. 21
(12) Toute décision du Tribunal d’appel est définitive, sujet seulement à un appel devant la Cour d’appel concernant toute question de compétence ou de droit. II. Moyens d’appel [2] M me Murray soutient que le Tribunal a rendu une décision erronée, parce qu’il n’a pas apprécié de façon appropriée la preuve subjective présentée relativement à la condition médicale dont elle est frappée, qu’il n’a pas tenu compte d’éléments de preuve cruciaux de sa médecin et que, se jugeant [TRADUCTION] « lié » par les avis de médecins spécialistes, il s’est fondé sur la preuve qu’ils avaient offerte.
Elle soutient aussi que le Tribunal a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a conclu que les maux dont elle souffre résultaient, non pas de l’aggravation d’une condition ou d’une maladie préexistante, mais bien de l’aggravation de symptômes d’arthrose. M me Murray avance que le Tribunal a interprété erronément le par. 7(5) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. W-13, et affirme qu’il : 1. n’a pas pris en compte la preuve qu’elle a présentée; 2. n’a pas pris en compte la fiabilité et la validité de ses constatations, de ses avis et de ses conclusions (référence à ses symptômes subjectifs); 3. n’a pas pris en compte les sect. 3.3 et 3.4 de la Politique 21-100; 4. n’a pas pris en compte les conclusions de sa médecin, la D re Lisa Sutherland, et la [TRADUCTION] « part que [ses] multiples postes de travail ont eue dans l’accentuation de [sa] condition médicale ». III. Norme de contrôle [3] Dans Raiche c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail , 2015 NBCA 52 , 439 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 388, le juge Drapeau, alors juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, conclut que, s’agissant des questions de droit, la norme de contrôle applicable en appel aux décisions du Tribunal est celle de la décision correcte (par. 10). Au paragraphe 13 de Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail c.
St-Onge , 2018 NBCA 53 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 198 (QL), le juge Richard, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, réaffirme l’applicabilité de cette norme. [4] Les questions mixtes de fait et de droit donnent lieu, à moins qu’il soit possible d’isoler une
question de droit, à un contrôle d’après la norme de la raisonnabilité ( Perry c. Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et autre , 2018 NBCA 80 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 291 (QL), par. 22 ). L’examen de questions de fait se limite généralement aux erreurs qui sont le fruit d’une inobservation de la loi, plus précisément de l’obligation légale de juger les demandes strictement sur le fond ( VSL Canada Ltée c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et Duguay et autres , 2011 NBCA 76 , 376 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 292, au par. 27 ). [5] Dans l’arrêt Perry , la juge d’appel Quigg analyse en détail le pouvoir de la Cour d’intervenir lorsque des erreurs de compétence sont invoquées (par. 19 à 23). En résumé, notre Cour est une instance correctrice d’erreurs.
En l’absence de mots ou d’expressions limitatifs, la norme de la décision correcte est la norme de contrôle qui s’applique aux pures questions de droit et de compétence, tandis que la norme de la raisonnabilité est la norme de contrôle applicable aux questions mixtes de fait et de droit ( VSL Canada Ltée , au par. 25 ). [6] Des erreurs de droit étant plaidées en l’espèce, la norme de contrôle est celle de la décision correcte. IV. Analyse A.
Preuve de M me Murray [7] Les raisons de sa demande d’indemnités sont résumées dans le Rapport sur l’accident ou la maladie professionnelle (formulaire 67) que M me Murray a présenté en avril 2017. Elle écrit que, en janvier 2015, une réaffectation décidée par son employeur l’a contrainte à s’installer dans un nouveau bureau où lui était offert, ajoute-t-elle, un poste de travail non ergonomique. M me Murray y a travaillé environ sept mois et demi pour ensuite être transférée à un autre bureau où, affirme-t-elle, le poste de travail était pire encore. Elle y est demeurée environ trois mois et demi.
Elle a indiqué que ses mains ne disposaient d’aucun appui, qu’elle devait beaucoup taper (environ 85 % du temps), tourner les pages de livres et porter des livres volumineux, et a évalué elle-même que ses mains étaient devenues [TRADUCTION] « très » endolories. La douleur constante qu’elle éprouvait aux mains, aux poignets et aux avant-bras l’a amenée à demander une évaluation ergothérapique. [8] M me Murray a expliqué qu’elle ressentait dans les deux mains une douleur constante qui se propageait jusqu’au milieu des bras.
Elle a indiqué qu’elle avait d’abord fait part de ce malaise à sa médecin de famille, la D re Lisa Sutherland, en avril 2015, environ quatre mois après être passée au nouveau bureau. La D re Sutherland a adressé M me Murray à un chirurgien plasticien, le D r Geoffrey S. Cook, qui l’a opérée à la main droite en septembre 2016. Elle a indiqué que l’opération avait [TRADUCTION] « assez bien » réussi, mais qu’il lui faudrait aussi une opération à la main gauche. En mars 2017, M me Murray a consulté de nouveau la D re Sutherland pour sa douleur aux mains.
Celle-ci a alors rempli un formulaire 8, qui devait soutenir la demande d’indemnités faite par M me Murray. B. Traitement de la demande d’indemnités de M me Murray [9] Travail sécuritaire NB a rejeté la demande d’indemnités initiale de M me Murray.
La lettre de rejet expliquait les critères appliqués pour arriver à la décision et indiquait quelle preuve médicale avait été examinée, dont les rapports de la D re Sutherland, du D r Cook et de la D re Patricia Forgeron, spécialiste en médecine physique et en réadaptation. [10] La D re Forgeron a écrit ce qui suit, en mai 2016, dans ses impressions cliniques et recommandations : [TRADUCTION] M me Murray souffre d’arthrose des mains. L’accentuation de l’altération arthrosique est attestée par l’imagerie, dont la plus récente, datant du 21 avril 2016.
L’imagerie révèle un élargissement scapho-lunaire aux deux poignets, une déformation du semi-lunaire et du scaphoïde, et une dégénérescence du trapèze et de la première articulation carpométacarpienne[…].
[11] Il est intéressant de constater que le rapport de la D re Forgeron mentionne qu’elle a consulté un rapport antérieur daté du 1 er octobre 2013, produit après un examen radiographique des mains de M me Murray, dans lequel était indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Les radiographies des mains montrent un pincement diffus de l’interligne des articulations interphalangiennes, qui paraît le plus prononcé à la troisième articulation interphalangienne distale gauche, signe d’une altération arthrosique.
Les articulations métacarpophalangiennes sont à peu près intactes, mais la première articulation carpométacarpienne des deux poignets est nettement atteinte, signe d’altération arthrosique encore une fois. On observe aussi une altération arthrosique bilatérale de l’articulation radiocarpienne. [12] Le 13 mars 2017, la D re Sutherland a écrit que M me Murray présentait une [TRADUCTION] « arthrose sous-jacente, [condition] non pas manifestement causée par le travail, mais aggravée par le travail ».
En août 2017, elle a rédigé un autre rapport, dans lequel elle notait ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] J’ai fait parvenir précédemment tous mes documents ayant trait aux affections dont les mains de M me Murray sont atteintes.
Je confirme l’observation que j’ai consignée dans une note d’évolution du 13 mars 2017, qui relevait que M me Murray souffre d’une arthrose des mains préexistante et que les symptômes de cette condition sont aggravés par son travail actuel . [C’est moi qui souligne.] [13] Le 14 septembre 2017, le D r Cook a formulé l’avis ci-dessous : [TRADUCTION] Bonnie Murray consulte depuis plus d’un an et demi pour des maux aux extrémités des membres supérieurs. Il y a environ un an, elle a subi une opération en raison de son arthrite.
J’en avais constaté le stade extrêmement avancé lors d’une consultation au printemps de 2016. […] Pour répondre à votre question sur l’existence d’un lien direct avec son travail, je dirai que je ne crois pas que ce soit le cas. J’ai pris connaissance de votre évaluation approfondie et détaillée du milieu de travail. Son travail, centré sur le bureau, suppose un faible impact et une faible charge sur les mains. Le rapport ne rend compte de rien qui soit associé à une forte probabilité d’intensification d’une condition préexistante.
Encore une fois, il est probable que des symptômes se soient manifestés au travail, mais je ne crois pas que son occupation ait intensifié ou accélère le processus arthritique. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [14] Après examen de la demande d’indemnités de M me Murray, Travail sécuritaire NB a demandé un rapport à son médecin-conseil, le D r Boak, qui devait indiquer s’il estimait que les activités liées au travail de M me Murray avaient aggravé ou exacerbé la condition préexistante dont elle souffrait. Une analyse des facteurs de risque a donc été réalisée.
Le 5 octobre 2017, Travail sécuritaire NB a jugé, après avoir pris connaissance des rapports qui précèdent, que la condition que présentait M me Murray, d’une part était préexistante, d’autre part aurait empiré indépendamment de son travail. Il a conclu que rien dans la preuve n’indiquait que l’arthrose avait été aggravée ou exacerbée par les activités liées au travail de M me Murray, et il a rejeté sa demande. Pour les mêmes motifs, le Tribunal a débouté M me Murray de son appel ultérieur . C. Analyse [15] L’article 21 de la
Loi sur la CSSIAT et le TAAT exige du Tribunal d’appel qu’il examine, entende et règle les questions que soulève un appel. Pour ce faire, il rend sa décision sur le bien-fondé de l’espèce. Au moment où il a entendu l’appel, le Tribunal pouvait refuser, dans certaines circonstances, d’appliquer une politique approuvée par la Commission; cependant, la question de l’incompatibilité d’une politique avec la loi ne se pose pas ici.
[16] La Politique 21-113 énonce que Travail sécuritaire NB, qui est souvent appelé la [TRADUCTION] « Commission », dispose de l’autorité, en vertu du par. 34(1), pour prendre des décisions relatives à toutes les affaires sous le régime de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail , à l’exception des questions énoncées aux art. 42.1 et 42.2 de la Loi.
Cette compétence exclusive s’étend à la détermination : i. de l’existence et du degré de l’invalidité due à une lésion; ii. de la permanence de l’invalidité due à une lésion; iii. de la question de savoir si la lésion corporelle ou le décès a été causé par accident; iv. de la question de savoir si l’accident est survenu du fait ou au cours d’un emploi entrant dans le champ d’application de la Loi . [17] L’énoncé de politique de la sect. 2.0 de la Politique 21-113 prévoit ce qui suit : Selon le paragraphe 34(4) de la Loi , Travail sécuritaire NB doit juger strictement au fond dans chaque cas.
Il n’est pas lié par la jurisprudence établie ni les règles de preuve législatives. Il s’assure que ses décisions sont fondées sur le bien-fondé du cas en utilisant la discipline de prise de décision énoncée à la
section 4.0 de la présente politique. [18] La
section 4.0 de la même politique prescrit que le processus de prise de décision de Travail sécuritaire NB se modèle sur une enquête. La personne qui prend la décision recueille les renseignements et adopte une approche méthodique et uniforme pour prendre des décisions fondées sur des faits.
Le processus comprend quatre étapes : 1. la collecte de renseignements; 2. l’établissement et l’évaluation de la preuve; 3. la détermination des faits; 4. l’application des faits dans le contexte de la législation et des politiques pour prendre une décision. [19] La personne qui prend la décision d’examiner et d’apprécier l’ensemble de la preuve est habilitée à évaluer la crédibilité, puis à déterminer quels éléments de preuve retenir avant de trancher.
Que le médecin ou l’expert soit ou non spécialiste d’un domaine ne doit pas, en soi, conférer à son rapport plus qu’à un autre une autorité qui lierait le décisionnaire. De fait, la sect. 3.0 de la Politique 21-113 prévoit notamment ce qui suit : L’alinéa 7 f.1 ) de la
Loi sur la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et le Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail confère au conseil d’administration l’autorité d’établir des politiques. Le conseil élabore des politiques au moyen d’une discipline rigoureuse précisée à la Politique 41-004, intitulée Gouvernance – Élaboration et évaluation des politiques.
Conformément au paragraphe 21(9) de la Loi , à compter du 1 er avril 2015, les décisions du Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail doivent tenir compte des politiques du conseil à moins qu’elles ne soient pas compatibles avec la législation. [20] Dans Paul c.
Travail sécuritaire NB , 2018 NBCA 47 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 169 (QL), notre Cour a jugé que le Tribunal avait commis une erreur en ne prenant pas en compte le témoignage de l’appelante, de même qu’en inversant le fardeau de la preuve de manière à exiger d’elle la réfutation, par la présentation de preuve physique, de la conclusion de Travail sécuritaire NB selon laquelle elle n’avait pas accompli d’efforts lors d’une évaluation des capacités fonctionnelles.
Le refus du Tribunal d’infirmer le rejet par Travail sécuritaire NB de la demande d’indemnités s’était fondé uniquement sur l’insuffisance de la preuve objective de l’appelante. Il a été jugé que le Tribunal avait commis là une erreur justifiant d’infirmer sa décision, parce que la preuve subjective de l’appelante était nécessaire. [21] M me Murray avance, pareillement, que le Tribunal n’a pas pris en compte la preuve subjective présentée relativement au mal dont elle souffrait et que le fardeau s’en est trouvé inversé. Je ne suis pas de cet avis. Il était précisément
de la compétence exclusive du Tribunal de déterminer, selon la prépondérance des preuves, si la condition arthrosique préexistante de M me Murray avait été aggravée par son travail. Le Tribunal n’a pas inversé le fardeau et exigé de M me Murray la présentation d’une preuve qui aurait réfuté la conclusion de Travail sécuritaire NB que sa condition n’avait été ni aggravée ni exacerbée du fait de son poste de travail.
Sa décision s’est fondée sur la prépondérance des preuves, qui a persuadé le Tribunal, non pas que la condition de M me Murray avait empiré, mais que ses symptômes s’étaient aggravés pendant quelque temps. Une preuve médicale objective indiquant que la condition était de nature progressive étayait cette conclusion. Une observation en ce sens apparaît dans un rapport d’août 2017 de la médecin de famille de M me Murray.
Les symptômes d’arthrose avaient été exacerbés; cependant, la condition de M me Murray s’était révélée de la nature progressive que les professionnels de la santé avaient prédite. [22] En l’espèce, le Tribunal a examiné les faits qui ont été résumés plus haut. Il avait connaissance des antécédents médicaux de M me Murray, qu’il a présentés par ordre chronologique, et il a passé en revue tous les rapports médicaux, dont ceux de la médecin de famille, la D re Sutherland. Le Tribunal a émaillé d’extraits des rapports son résumé des antécédents médicaux documentés de M me Murray.
Il a fait état de l’analyse des facteurs de risque réalisée par l’ergothérapeute et cité ce passage de son rapport : [TRADUCTION] « [E]lle fait face, avant de débuter dans son travail de défenseure des travailleurs, à un problème préexistant d’arthrose des poignets et des articulations carpométacarpiennes ». Il a relevé la conclusion de l’ergothérapeute, selon qui l’analyse n’avait pas cerné de facteurs de risque en ce qui concerne les lésions attribuables au travail répétitif diagnostiquées aux poignets et aux pouces droit et gauche. Il a cité le par. 7(5) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail et a renvoyé correctement au critère juridique applicable en reproduisant une lettre de juin 2017 de Travail sécuritaire NB : [TRADUCTION] Lorsque les preuves établissent que l’accident est survenu aux heure et lieu de l’emploi, Travail sécuritaire NB doit présumer qu’il est aussi survenu du fait de l’emploi, à moins d’une preuve qui contredise la présomption ou soit incompatible avec elle. S’il existe une preuve qui contredit la présomption ou se révèle incompatible avec elle, Travail sécuritaire NB détermine si l’accident s’est produit du fait et au cours de l’emploi selon la prépondérance, ou le poids, des preuves. [23] Voici le texte du par. 7(5) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail : Aggravation or exacerbation of pre- existing disease or condition 7
(5) When a personal injury by accident arising out of and in the course of employment exacerbates or aggravates a pre- existing disease or condition, compensation that the Commission determines is reasonably attributable to the injury caused by the accident shall be payable, and not for the natural progression of the pre-existing disease or condition. Aggravation ou exacerbation d’une maladie ou condition préexistante 7
(5) Lorsqu’une lésion corporelle subie par suite d’un accident qui s’est produit du fait et au cours de l’emploi aggrave ou exacerbe une maladie ou condition préexistante, la Commission accorde l’indemnité à laquelle elle estime que cette lésion donne raisonnablement droit, mais aucune indemnité n’est accordée à l’égard de la progression naturelle de la maladie ou de la condition préexistante. [24] M me Murray soutient que le Tribunal n’a pas interprété correctement la Politique 21-101 (diffusion 004), qui a pour
titre Critères d’admissibilité – Conditions préexistantes : Dans de nombreux cas, les preuves médicales au dossier démontrent clairement si la blessure indemnisable subie au travail a eu un effet sur la condition préexistante.
Toutefois, lorsqu’il est plus compliqué de le déterminer, Travail sécuritaire NB doit utiliser des normes fiables et objectives pour déterminer s’il est médicalement probable que la blessure indemnisable subie au travail a eu un effet sur la condition préexistante. [25] Pour ce qui est de l’appréciation de la preuve contradictoire, la sect. 4.2.3 de la Politique 21-113 (diffusion 003) porte notamment ces dispositions : Évaluation de la preuve, y compris la preuve médicale contradictoire
Lors de la présentation de preuve contradictoire, y compris de preuve médicale contradictoire, Travail sécuritaire NB évalue la crédibilité et la qualité de la preuve fournie ou recueillie, et considère les critères suivants : […] • l’expertise des particuliers donnant leur avis dans la mesure où elle a trait à la question faisant l’objet de l’évaluation, en tenant compte du fait que la norme de preuve énoncée au paragraphe 7(2.1) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail diffère des normes scientifiques qu’utilisent les experts en médecine; […] • la preuve objective est probablement plus fiabl[e] que la preuve subjective, surtout lorsque la preuve objective appuie des avis corroborants d’observateurs multiples[.] [26] Dans ses motifs, le Tribunal s’est référé aux politiques applicables. Il a constaté que l’avis de la D re Sutherland et celui des autres experts médicaux divergeaient sur la progression des symptômes de M me Murray. Il a procédé correctement et suivi la Politique 21-113 à cet égard.
Je ne relève d’erreur, ni dans sa formulation des principes juridiques, ni dans leur application aux faits de l’espèce. Cependant, les paragraphes qui suivent concluent la décision du Tribunal : [TRADUCTION] Je suis lié par cette politique, qui m’impose de retenir, de préférence à l’avis de la médecin de l’appelante, l’expertise du D r Cook, chirurgien plasticien, de même que l’avis du médecin-conseil, médecin examinateur indépendant accrédité, qui veulent que se soient aggravés les symptômes que présente l’appelante et non la condition dont elle souffre.
Pour que soit remplie l’exigence d’application du par. 7(5) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail , il doit apparaître que l’emploi aggrave la condition. En conséquence, je conclus, non pas à l’aggravation d’une maladie ou d’une condition préexistante de l’appelante, aux termes de la Loi , mais à l’aggravation des symptômes de son arthrose. [Par. 16 et 17] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [27] Je ferai respectueusement observer que le choix par le Tribunal du terme [TRADUCTION] « lié » était incorrect et que rien dans la politique ne dictait cette conclusion.
L’obligation n’était pas imposée au Tribunal [TRADUCTION] « par cette politique » de retenir les avis des spécialistes, de préférence à l’avis de la médecin de famille. L’expertise des particuliers donnant leur avis n’est qu’une considération parmi d’autres. Nulle politique n’est énoncée qui requerrait que l’avis d’un spécialiste, de préférence à l’avis d’un médecin de famille, lie le Tribunal. La Politique 21-113 exige, nous l’avons vu, d’apprécier la preuve médicale.
Quoique la méprise du Tribunal sur ce terme soit malheureuse, je suis d’avis, à considérer la décision dans sa totalité, que ses motifs traduisent un examen de l’ensemble de la preuve, une compréhension de son rôle en tant que tribunal de révision, une compréhension et une application des critères juridiques appropriés et une large analyse qui s’est appuyée sur le fond. La majorité des avis médicaux n’étayait tout simplement pas l’affirmation de M me Murray que la condition dont elle souffrait était aggravée par son travail ( Golding c.
Travail sécuritaire NB et autres , 2019 NBCA 40 , A.N.-B. n o 121 (QL), au par. 65). [28] Dans Higgins c. Arseneau , 2019 NBCA 21 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 43 (QL), il a été estimé que l’emploi par la juge du procès des mots [TRADUCTION] « norme de contrôle de la simple probabilité » aurait justifié, en soi, l’infirmation de sa décision; la Cour a cependant conclu que la décision de la juge du procès était correcte, pour les motifs donnés (par. 19 et 20).
En l’espèce, le Tribunal a tiré la bonne conclusion et, à mon sens, l’emploi du mot [TRADUCTION] « lié » ne devrait pas vicier une décision par ailleurs judicieuse. [29] L’argument de M me Murray voulant que le Tribunal n’ait pas pris en compte la preuve subjective qu’elle avait présentée est mal fondé. La décision du Tribunal témoigne d’un examen raisonné de l’ensemble de la preuve. Cette preuve a donné lieu à une appréciation. Le Tribunal s’est acquitté de son rôle comme il le devait. Aucune erreur ne me paraît justifier une intervention en appel et je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel.
V. Dispositif [30] Le paragraphe 23(9) de la
Loi sur la CSSIAT et le TAAT permet qu’une cour ordonne le versement de dépens en appel; ce pouvoir discrétionnaire est toutefois exercé, en général, de façon à éviter qu’un travailleur soit condamné aux dépens. L’appel est donc rejeté sans dépens.