2015 NBCA 36, 2015 NBCA 36
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 90-14-CA DIRECTCASH ATM MANAGEMENT PARTNERSHIP and DIRECTCASH ATM PROCESSING PARTNERSHIP APPELLANTS DIRECTCASH ATM MANAGEMENT PARTNERSHIP et DIRECTCASH ATM PROCESSING PARTNERSHIP APPELANTS - and - - et - MAURICE’S GAS & CONVENIENCE INC. and 055655 N.B. LTD. RESPONDENTS MAURICE’S GAS & CONVENIENCE INC. et 055655 N.B. LTD. INTIMÉS Directcash ATM Management Partnership et al. v.
Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc. et al., 2015 NBCA 36 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Directcash ATM Management Partnership et autres c. Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc. et autres, 2015 NBCA 36 CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 27, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 27 juin 2014 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: N/A Décision frappée d’appel : s.o.
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: March 25, 2015 Appel entendu : le 25 mars 2015
Judgment rendered: June 18, 2015 Jugement rendu : le 18 juin 2015 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Richard J. Scott, Q.C. For the respondents: Basile Chiasson, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green Avocats à l'audience : Pour les appelants : Richard J. Scott, c.r. Pour les intimés : Basile Chiasson, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is allowed. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] A trial judge rendered a decision pursuant to Rule 79, the simplified procedure rule, of the Rules of Court of New Brunswick . The plaintiffs appeal the decision on two grounds. The issues on appeal engage the rules relating to contractual
interpretation, and it is the first opportunity for our Court to consider these issues in the spotlight of Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp ., 2014 SCC 53 , [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633 , per Rothstein J. For the reasons that follow, I would allow the appeal. II. Background [ 2 ] The appellants, DirectCash ATM Management Partnership and DirectCash ATM Processing Partnership (DirectCash), provide systems and services to connect various customers with ATMs to the Interac network pursuant to processing agreements. [ 3 ] The respondent, Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc., signed two agreements, 024 and 396, with DirectCash on
February 24, 2004, and March 2, 2004, respectively. A third agreement, 025, was signed by the respondent numbered company, 055655 N.B. Ltd., on February 24, 2004. These agreements obligated the respondents to pay a monthly maintenance fee in addition to a share of the transaction surcharge debited to the end user as a processing fee, which, in agreements 024 and 396, was $1.50, with $.75 payable to DirectCash.
Agreement 025 required the payment of a monthly maintenance fee plus an additional transaction fee of $1.10 to DirectCash. [ 4 ] All three agreements included a right of first refusal to DirectCash upon expiration (clause 2.3). The wording of this clause varied as between agreements 024 and 396, and 025.
For ease of reference, the clauses are reproduced: Agreements 024 and 396 2.3 If at the end of the Initial Term or any subsequent renewal thereof Customer receives a bona fide offer from another company (the “Offer”) to provide similar services at the Premises, Customer shall give prompt written notice of the Offer to Directcash setting forth the specific terms of the Offer. Directcash shall have the right of first refusal to enter into an agreement upon the same terms and conditions as the said Offer.
Directcash shall exercise its right of first refusal by giving Customer written notice no later than fifteen days, excluding Saturday, Sunday or statutory holidays, after receipt of said written notice of the Offer. Agreement 025 2.3 If, Customer elects not to renew this Agreement, Directcash shall have the right of first refusal for a period of one year after the expiry of this Agreement to match any competitor’s bona fide offer to provide processing services to Customer or to sell, lease, rent or place an ATM in Customer’s Premises described on the front of this Agreement.
Customer agrees to provide Directcash with a copy of each competitor’s bona fide written offer. [ 5 ] Prior to the expiration of each of the agreements, the respondents gave notice that they would not be renewing. Through an exchange of correspondence, DirectCash advised the respondents of their obligations pursuant to the right of first refusal clause, and sought further “specifics” relative to any competitor’s offer so they would have an opportunity to match it.
The response from the respondents was as follows: To Whom It May Concern: The reason we found a new provider is that they are giving me weekly cash loading service, free parts and labor, free receipt paper, 100% of the surcharge and regular visits to my store by a company representative. [ 6 ] In other words, the respondents had already found a new service provider without having given DirectCash the opportunity to bid on the contracts.
Despite being pressed for further specifics of the competitor’s offer, the respondents refused to provide any additional information on the basis it was “neither necessary nor contractually required”, and proceeded to contract with another service provider. DirectCash initiated legal action to recover liquidated damages on the basis the respondents had breached clause 2.3 of the agreements. The amounts were agreed at trial. [ 7 ] The sole issue before the trial judge was whether the respondents had breached their contractual obligations, specifically, their duties of disclosure pursuant to clause 2.3.
With respect to agreement 025, the trial judge found clause 2.3 was “clear as to what are the obligations intended on the part of [055655]”. He concluded 055655 N.B. Ltd. breached the agreement in failing to provide a copy of the bona fide offer as required, and he ordered damages in the amount of $13,568.08 plus pre-judgment interest at a rate of 3% per annum from the date the Notice of Action was filed to the date of judgment.
[ 8 ] With respect to agreements 024 and 396, the trial judge found it was unclear just what Maurice’s “must provide in order to meet [its] obligations under the agreements”. He found that clause 2.3 lacked “clarity”, and the agreements lacked specificity; in particular, the clause was unclear as to how “detailed the notice must [be that] provide[s] the specifics of the bona fide offer made by the new provider”.
He explained the clause as follows: From my reading of clause 2.3 of Agreements 2030024 and 2030396, I view the obligations on the defendants arising from the agreements to be that if the defendants receive a bona fide offer from another provider 1) that they are obligated to give prompt written notice of the offer to DirectCash 2) that the written notice should set forth the specific terms of the offer.
Once these obligations are met, DirectCash has a right to match the bona fide offer and enter into an agreement upon the same terms and conditions as contained in the of [sic] the bona fide offer received by the customer, in this case, the defendants. He then applied the contra proferentem rule, and, having found there was no “clearly defined obligation” concerning disclosure of the bona fide offer, concluded Maurice’s was not in breach of agreements 024 and 396. No costs were awarded to either party on the basis there had been divided success. III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 9 ] DirectCash appeals the decision on the grounds the trial judge erred in his
interpretation and application of clause 2.3 in agreements 024 and 396, and erred when he found that Maurice’s had complied with clause 2.3 by promptly giving written notice to DirectCash “setting forth the specific terms of the offer[s]” . IV. Positions of the Parties [ 10 ] DirectCash asserts the trial judge erred in law when he used agreement 025 as a lens through which he examined and interpreted agreements 024 and 396. They submit that agreement 025 was res inter alios acta and should not have been relied upon to interpret agreements 024 and 396.
Secondly, DirectCash submits the trial judge failed to properly interpret the word “specific” in clause 2.3, which obligated Maurice’s to disclose the “specific terms” of any bona fide offer received by it. DirectCash contends that the words in question “are in plain English and clearly state what was expected of Maurice’s”. [ 11 ] The respondents submit the trial judge properly interpreted clause 2.3 in agreements 024 and 396, and the “decision appealed from is unassailable”. V. Standard of Review [ 12 ] Our Court has often reiterated the standards of review to be applied on appeals. In Lemay v.
Peters, 2014 NBCA 59 , 425 N.B.R. (2d) 336 , leave to appeal to S.C.C. requested, [2014] S.C.C.A.
No. 495 (QL), Richard J.A. summarized several principles that have become trite law: “(1) findings of law are to be assessed on a standard of correctness; (2) a finding of fact is entitled to deference and will only be reversed if the result of a palpable and overriding error; and, (3) findings of mixed fact and law, that is the application of a legal standard to a set of facts in order to arrive at an ultimate conclusion, are also entitled to deference and are reviewable on the same standard as findings of fact unless a legal error can be extricated” (para. 31). [ 13 ] The issues before the Supreme Court in Sattva were: (1) whether leave ought to have been granted to enable an appeal of an arbitrator’s decision under the B.C.
Arbitration Act , R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 55 (which leave could only be granted for a question of law); and (2) what was the appropriate standard of review in commercial arbitration cases. Rothstein J. found the question in issue, the
interpretation of a finder’s fee agreement, was a question of mixed fact and law, and thus leave to appeal should not have been granted. However, he did not foreclose the possibility of a question of law being extricable from a finding of mixed fact and law, such as if the decision maker failed to “construe the Agreement as a whole because he ignored a specific and relevant provision of the Agreement” (para. 64). On the issue of contractual
interpretation, he stated as follows: The shift away from the historical approach in Canada appears to be based on two developments. The first is the adoption of an approach to contractual
interpretation which directs courts to have regard for the surrounding circumstances of the contract − often referred to as
the factual matrix − when interpreting a written contract (Hall, at pp. 13, 21-25 and 127; and J. D. McCamus, The Law of Contracts (2nded. 2012), at pp. 749-51). The second is the explanation of the difference between questions of law and questions of mixed fact and lawprovided in Canada (Director of Investigation and Research) v. Southam Inc., (SCC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 748, at para. 35,and Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at paras. 26 and 31-36. Regarding the first development, the
interpretation of contracts has evolved towards a practical, common-sense approach not dominatedby technical rules of construction. The overriding concern is to determine "the intent of the parties and the scope of their understanding"(Jesuit Fathers of Upper Canada v. Guardian Insurance Co. of Canada, 2006 SCC 21, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 744, at para. 27 per LeBel J.; seealso Tercon Contractors Ltd. v. British Columbia (Transportation and Highways), 2010 SCC 4, [2010] 1 S.C.R. 69, at paras. 64-65 perCromwell J.).
To do so, a decision-maker must read the contract as a whole, giving the words used their ordinary and grammaticalmeaning, consistent with the surrounding circumstances known to the parties at the time of formation of the contract. Consideration ofthe surrounding circumstances recognizes that ascertaining contractual intention can be difficult when looking at words on their own,because words alone do not have an immutable or absolute meaning: No contracts are made in a vacuum: there is always a setting in which they have to be placed. ...
In a commercial contract it is certainlyright that the court should know the commercial purpose of the contract and this in turn presupposes knowledge of the genesis of thetransaction, the background, the context, the market in which the parties are operating. (Reardon Smith Line, at p. 574, per Lord Wilberforce) The meaning of words is often derived from a number of contextual factors, including the purpose of the agreement and the nature of therelationship created by the agreement (see Moore Realty Inc. v. Manitoba Motor League, 2003 MBCA 71, 173 Man.
R. (2d) 300, at para.15, per Hamilton J.A.; see also Hall, at p. 22; and McCamus, at pp. 749-50). As stated by Lord Hoffmann in Investors Compensation Scheme Ltd. v. West Bromwich Building Society, [1998] 1 All E.R. 98 (H.L.): The meaning which a document (or any other utterance) would convey to a reasonable man is not the same thing as the meaning of itswords.
The meaning of words is a matter of dictionaries and grammars; the meaning of the document is what the parties using thosewords against the relevant background would reasonably have been understood to mean. [p. 115] As to the second development, the historical approach to contractual
interpretation does not fit well with the definition of a pure questionof law identified in Housen and Southam. Questions of law "are questions about what the correct legal test is" (Southam, at para. 35). Yetin contractual
interpretation, the goal of the exercise is to ascertain the objective intent of the parties − a fact-specific goal − through theapplication of legal principles of
interpretation. This appears closer to a question of mixed fact and law, defined in Housen as "applying alegal standard to a set of facts" (para. 26; see also Southam, at para. 35). However, some courts have questioned whether this definition,which was developed in the context of a negligence action, can be readily applied to questions of contractual
interpretation, and suggestthat contractual
interpretation is primarily a legal affair (see for example Bell Canada, at para. 25). With respect for the contrary view, I am of the opinion that the historical approach should be abandoned. Contractual
interpretationinvolves issues of mixed fact and law as it is an exercise in which the principles of contractual
interpretation are applied to the words ofthe written contract, considered in light of the factual matrix. […] Nonetheless, it may be possible to identify an extricable question of law from within what was initially characterized as a question ofmixed fact and law (Housen, at paras. 31 and 34-35). Legal errors made in the course of contractual
interpretation include "theapplication of an incorrect principle, the failure to consider a required element of a legal test, or the failure to consider a relevant factor"(King, at para. 21). Moreover, there is no question that many other issues in contract law do engage substantive rules of law: therequirements for the formation of the contract, the capacity of the parties, the requirement that certain contracts be evidenced in writing,and so on. However, courts should be cautious in identifying extricable questions of law in disputes over contractual
interpretation. […]
[…] While the surrounding circumstances will be considered in interpreting the terms of a contract, they must never be allowed to overwhelmthe words of that agreement (Hayes Forest Services, at para. 14; and Hall, at p. 30). The goal of examining such evidence is to deepen adecision-maker's understanding of the mutual and objective intentions of the parties as expressed in the words of the contract. Theinterpretation of a written contractual provision must always be grounded in the text and read in light of the entire contract (Hall, at pp.15 and 30-32).
While the surrounding circumstances are relied upon in the interpretive process, courts cannot use them to deviate fromthe text such that the court effectively creates a new agreement (Glaswegian Enterprises Inc. v. B.C. Tel Mobility Cellular Inc. (1997), (BC CA), 101 B.C.A.C. 62). […] I accept that a fundamental principle of contractual
interpretation is that a contract must be construed as a whole (McCamus, at pp. 761-62; and Hall, at p. 15). If the arbitrator did not take the "maximum amount" proviso into account, as alleged by Creston, then he did notconstrue the Agreement as a whole because he ignored a specific and relevant provision of the Agreement. This is a question of law thatwould be extricable from a finding of mixed fact and law. [paras. 46-50, 53-54, 57, 64] [14] The above principles of contractual
interpretation are not exclusive to the commercial arbitration context: DoProcess LP v. Infokey Software Inc., 2015 BCCA 52, [2015] B.C.J No. 214 (QL); Halifax (Regional Municipality) v. Canadian NationalRailway Company, 2014 NSCA 104, [2014] N.S.J. No. 602 (QL); Linden v. CUMIS Life Insurance Company, 2015 NSCA 20, [2015]N.S.J. No. 83 (QL); Ledcor Construction; Ariston Realty Corp. v. Elcarim Inc., 2014 ONCA 737, [2014] O.J. No. 5093 (QL), leave toappeal to SCC requested [2015] S.C.C.A. No. 79 (QL); Goreway Total Health Inc. v. Goldbrite Trading Co. Ltd., 2014 ONCA 873,[2014] O.J.
No. 5804 (QL); Buffalo Trail Public Schools Regional Division No. 29 v. Alberta Teachers Association, 2014 ABCA 407,[2014] A.J. No. 1337 (QL); First Elgin Mills Developments Inc. v. Romandale Farms Limited, 2015 ONCA 54, [2015] O.J. No. 397(QL); Duncanson v. Webster, 2015 NSCA 29, [2015] N.S.J. No. 123 (QL); Wesbell Networks Inc. v. Bell Canada, 2015 ONCA 33,[2015] O.J. No. 279 (QL). [15] Applying the ratio of Rothstein J. in Sattva, I conclude the question of contractual
interpretation in this case isgrounded in mixed law and fact; however, there is an extricable error of law in the decision below, namely the misapplication of a legalprinciple, which results in a correctness standard. The respondents argue for a deferential standard on the exclusive ground of this being aquestion of mixed fact and law; however, I do not agree. DirectCash submits the standard of appellate review with respect to questions ofmixed fact and law can range from correctness at one end of the “spectrum” to palpable and overriding error at the other, citing Housenv.
Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 at paras. 8, 27, 28 and 36, per Iacobucci and Major JJ., for the majority; as well asSattva, at paras. 51-52. In Ledcor Construction Ltd. v. Northbridge Indemnity Insurance Co., 2015 ABCA 121, [2015] A.J. No. 338(Q.L.) [Ledcor Construction], the Court summarized the above: Mixed questions of fact and law involve deciding if a particular set of facts meets a legal standard. This calls for the drawing of a legalinference from those facts, which in turn calls for a "higher standard" of review: Housen at paras. 26, 28.
Setting that standard is anuanced process because "matters of mixed law and fact fall along a spectrum of particularity": Housen at para. 28. To the extent thatinterpretation of an insurance contract is a mixed question of fact and law, it falls on the extreme end of that "spectrum of particularly",and the standard of review for
interpretation of insurance policies is correctness. Appellate intervention is required in order to ensureconsistency of results, which is a legitimate part of the mandate of intermediate appeal courts: Northwest Territories (Attorney General)v Association des parents ayants droit de Yellowknife, 2015 NWTCA 2 at para. 28. [para. 18] [16] Ledcor Construction provides a useful
summary of Sattva (see para. 12), particularly because, in the case atbar, as in Ledcor, the appeal was from the Court of Queen’s Bench rather than a commercial arbitration pursuant to restrictive legislation.As stated in Ledcor: The reasons in Sattva must be read having regard to the context in which it was decided. Appeals from the Court of Queen's Bench ofAlberta to the Alberta Court of Appeal can be brought on any basis. While all appeals must be decided within the context of theappropriate standard of review, appeals are available on questions of law, mixed questions of fact and law, and questions of fact.
Some ofthe restrictive language in Sattva does not apply to ordinary appeals in Alberta. [para. 12] [17] Thus, in applying Sattva, I conclude that contractual
interpretation in an ordinary appeal is now primarily a
question of mixed fact and law, which involves ascertaining the objective intentions of the parties, through an analysis of theircommercial dealings or the “surrounding circumstances”. These interpretive questions are reviewable on a correctness standard onlywhen there is an extricable question of law. The circumstances under which a question of law can be extricated from the
interpretationprocess are “rare”: Sattva, at para. 55. The Supreme Court identified the application of an incorrect principle, the failure to consider arequired element of a legal test, or the failure to consider a relevant factor as possible extricable errors of law. This principle was recentlydiscussed in Northwest Territories (Attorney General) v. Association des parents ayants droit de Yellowknife, 2015 NWTCA 2, [2015]N.W.T.J. No. 4 (QL), per Slatter J.A. VI.
Analysis and Conclusion [18] There has been a clear message from the Supreme Court reiterating that contracts must be interpreted as awhole, in a contextual approach, within the factual matrix of the dealings between the parties (see Sattva, at para. 50). Our Court haslong applied this principle. In Steeves v.
Capital Safe & Lock Services, 2000 NBCA 1, 230 N.B.R. (2d) 117 [Steeves], Drapeau J.A., as hethen was, stated: […] Of course, any apparent vagueness in the terms of a written contract becomes inconsequential if the parties’ intention can bedistilled from a consideration of the words employed by the parties and the overall context in which those terms were used. [para.28] [19] Our Court acknowledged this approach as well when it applied Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 27, [1998] S.C.J. No. 2 (QL).
There, the Supreme Court cautioned that the words are to be read in their“entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the Act, the object of the Act and theintention of Parliament” (para. 21): Robichaud et al. v. Pharmacie Acadienne de Beresford Ltée. et al., 2008 NBCA 12, 328 N.B.R. (2d)205, at para. 19 [Robichaud].
In that case, Drapeau C.J.N.B. applied a contextual analysis, and held that legislative and contractualinterpretation involve “a common bundle of influential considerations” (para. 19). [20] In Robichaud as well, Drapeau C.J.N.B. stated: The objective of contractual
interpretation is the identification of the true intent of the parties at the time they entered into the contract.That intention must be ascertained by reference to the meaning of the words as used by the contracting parties […]. More often than not,the context plays an influential role in shaping that meaning […]. [para. 18] [21] Current jurisprudence has adopted a fact driven approach to contractual
interpretation, encouraging aconsideration of the “surrounding circumstances”, which, in commercial dealings, are often relevant to clarify the intent of the parties(Sattva). [22] Further, the element of good faith has been expanded. Cromwell J., in Bhasin v. Hrynew, 2014 SCC 71, [2014]3 S.C.R. 494 [Bhasin], concluded that good faith plays a role in contractual
interpretation, as it informs the minimum standards ofconduct parties are generally assumed to have intended. [23] Applying the above principles, I conclude the trial judge erred in law when he applied a narrow or restrictiveinterpretation of clause 2.3 in agreements 024 and 396. When the agreements are read in their entirety, it is clear the parties intended thatDirectCash would have the opportunity to meet the terms and conditions of any bona fide offer received by the respondents.
Clause 2.3obligated the respondents to provide the “specific terms” of any bona fide offer received by them so that DirectCash would have alegitimate opportunity to match the new offer “upon the same terms and conditions”. The trial judge failed to examine the agreements asa whole. Using agreement 025 as a comparator, he defaulted to the contra proferentem principle to construe the clause in favour of the
respondents. This principle should be employed as a last resort measure when all other rules of contractual
interpretation have failed. InCanadian National Railway Co. v. Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Co. of Canada, 2008 SCC 66, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 453, Binnie J.wrote: “[t]he contra proferentem principle applies, if at all, only ‘when all other rules of construction fail’” (para. 33). [24] Similarly, in Ledcor Construction, the Court stated: The trial judge decided the case based on the doctrine of contra proferentem. That doctrine only applies if there is an ambiguity in thepolicy; it cannot be used to create an ambiguity.
Merely because the application of the policy to particular fact situations might be trickydoes not mean that there is "ambiguity" in the policy wording.
In fact, it has been held that this type of exclusion is not ambiguous:Canadian National Railway Co. v Royal and SunAlliance Insurance Co. of Canada, 2008 SCC 66 at para. 33, [2008] 3 SCR 453.Numerous cases have applied this wording to various fact situations, expressly disclaiming resort to the doctrine of contra proferentem,for example Triple Five (CA) at para. 43 and Poole-Pritchard at p. 691. [para. 58] [25] The contra proferentem rule will apply in those cases where contractual provisions are ambiguous. In simpleterms, as described by Estey J. in McClelland & Stewart Ltd. v.
Mutual Life, (SCC), [1981] 2 S.C.R. 6, if there isambiguity in a term of a contract, the decision maker should find against the author of the document. [26] Such was not the case here. In fact, the wording of clause 2.3 in agreements 024 and 396 is clear.
The words“specific terms”, and “on the same terms and conditions”, given their plain and ordinary meaning, contextually and purposefully,persuade me it was clear DirectCash required precise details of the competitor’s offer to enable them to exercise their rights of firstrefusal. [27] Once Maurice’s received a bona fide offer from another service provider, it had a contractual duty toDirectCash to provide sufficient particulars of that offer so that DirectCash could respond in a meaningful way: see Confederation TrustCo. v. Duncan, (2000), (NB CA), 226 N.B.R. (2d) 277, [2000] N.B.J.
No. 196 (C.A.) (QL) per Drapeau J.A., as hethen was, leave to appeal to SCC refused [2000] S.C.C.A. No. 366 (QL); Hanen v. Cartwright, 2007 ABQB 184, [2007] A.J. No. 334(QL), per Erb J., at paras. 40-43, affirmed 2007 ABCA 388, [2007] A.J. No. 1343 (QL). Read in a contextual way, it is reasonable toconclude that DirectCash required “specific” disclosure of any other offers received by the respondents, including details of the terms ofthe offer such as monetary details.
The word “specific” is defined in The Oxford English Dictionary, 2d ed., as precise, or exact in respectof fulfilment, conditions or terms, definite, or explicit. [28] I further conclude the trial judge made a reversible error when he relied on agreement 025 as an aid to hisinterpretation of agreements 024 and 396, contrary to the doctrine of res inter alios acta. In not focusing on the language in eachagreement, he ignored the overall objective of clause 2.3, which was to grant DirectCash a meaningful opportunity to match any otherbona fide offer on the expiry of each agreement.
In order to have that opportunity, the respondents were required to provide the “specificterms” of the new offer. The meaning of the clause is clear, and therefore the contra proferentem rule was inapplicable in this case. [29] DirectCash raised the issue of good faith. I pause here to discuss Bhasin. In that case, although the respondentwas in literal compliance with the right of first refusal clause, the Court found that strict compliance was no defence to conductamounting to bad faith in contractual relationships.
Although good faith was not specifically pled, Cromwell J. agreed the trial judge didnot commit a reversible error. Implicit is the duty of contracting parties to not only fulfill their contractual obligations, but, they must doso “honestly and reasonably and not capriciously or arbitrarily” (para. 63).
Cromwell J. has created a new “common law duty under thebroad umbrella of the organizing principle of good faith performance of contracts” (paras. 72-73). [30] Applying the above statement, I observe that, although there was no allegation of bad faith in the case at bar,there is a subtle overtone that permeates throughout. It would have been easy for the respondents to forward the “specific terms” of theirbona fide offer to DirectCash as requested. Instead, they responded in a capricious fashion, with no regard to the overarching intent of theagreements as a whole. To simply rely on their own
interpretation of the right of first refusal clause with no consideration to the trueintent behind it is not defensible, in my opinion. VII. Disposition [31] For these reasons, I would allow the appeal, set aside the judgment issued by the Court of Queen’s Bench inregard to agreements 024 and 396 and order judgment for DirectCash in the amount of $47,855.33 plus pre-judgment interest of 3% per
annum from September 1, 2010, to June 27, 2014. DirectCash is also entitled to their costs at trial on this amount pursuant to Rule 59, Tariff “A”, scale 1. I would also award DirectCash costs of $2,500 on the Appeal. ___________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. WE CONCUR: _________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. __________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par La juge Baird I.
Introduction [1] Un juge de procès a rendu une décision dans une affaire introduite sous le régime de la règle 79 sur les instances simplifiées des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick. Les demanderesses ont interjeté appel en se fondant sur deux moyens d’appel. Les points soulevés en appel entraînent l’application des règles en matière d’interprétation contractuelle, et c’est la première fois que notre Cour a l’occasion d’examiner ces questions sous l’éclairage de l’arrêt Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp . , 2014 CSC 53 , [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633 , rendu par le juge Rothstein.
Pour les motifs énoncés ci-après, j’accueillerais l’appel. II. Contexte [2] Les appelantes, DirectCash ATM Management Partnership et DirectCash ATM Processing Partnership (DirectCash), fournissent les systèmes et les services nécessaires qui permettent à divers clients dotés de guichets automatiques bancaires de se brancher au réseau Interac conformément à des conventions de traitement. [3] L’intimée, Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc. (la société Maurice’s), a signé deux conventions, 024 et 396, avec DirectCash le 24 février 2004 et le 2 mars 2004 respectivement.
Une troisième convention, 025, a été signée par la société à dénomination numérique intimée, 055655 N.B. Ltd., le 24 février 2004. En application de ces conventions, les intimées étaient tenues de payer des frais d’entretien mensuels, en plus d’une
partie des frais supplémentaires de transaction imputés à l’utilisateur final comme frais de traitement, lesquels se montaient à 1,50 $ dans les conventions 024 et 396, dont la somme de 0,75 $ devait être versée à DirectCash. La convention 025 prescrivait non seulement le paiement de frais mensuels d’entretien à DirectCash, mais aussi le paiement à celle-ci de frais supplémentaires de transaction de 1,10 $. [4] Les trois conventions accordaient un droit de premier refus à DirectCash à l’expiration (clause 2.3). Le libellé
de cette clause dans les conventions 024 et 396 était différent de celui de la convention 025. Les clauses sont reproduites ci-après pour en faciliter la consultation : Conventions 024 et 396 [TRADUCTION] 2.3 À la fin de la durée initiale ou de toute reconduction subséquente de la convention, si le client reçoit une offre honnête (« l’offre ») d’une autre société disposée à fournir des services analogues dans les lieux, le client doit faire parvenir sans délai un avis écrit à DirectCash exposant les conditions précises de l’offre.
DirectCash a un droit de premier refus lui permettant de conclure une convention prescrivant les mêmes modalités et conditions que celles énoncées dans l’offre. DirectCash exerce son droit de premier refus en avisant le client de sa décision par écrit au plus tard quinze jours, à l’exclusion des samedis, dimanches et jours fériés, après la date de réception de l’avis écrit de l’offre.
Convention 025 [TRADUCTION] 2.3 Si le client choisit de ne pas renouveler la présente convention, DirectCash a un droit de premier refus pendant une période d’un an après l’expiration de la présente convention, afin de pouvoir faire une offre équivalente à l’offre honnête faite par un concurrent de fournir au client des services de traitement des transactions, ou de vendre, céder à bail, louer ou installer un guichet automatique bancaire dans les lieux du client décrits sur la page couverture de la présente convention.
Le client s’engage à fournir à DirectCash une copie de toute offre honnête faite par chaque concurrent. [5] Avant l’expiration de chaque convention, les intimées ont donné un préavis de leur décision de ne pas renouveler. Par correspondance, DirectCash a rappelé aux intimées leurs obligations aux termes de la clause énonçant le droit de premier refus, et elle a tenté d’obtenir des « précisions » au sujet de l’offre faite par tout concurrent de manière à avoir la possibilité de faire une offre équivalente.
Voici la réponse donnée par les intimées : [TRADUCTION] Mesdames, Messieurs, Nous avons retenu les services d’un nouveau fournisseur parce qu’il nous offre un service hebdomadaire d’approvisionnement en espèces, un service d’entretien gratuit et des pièces de rechange gratuites, du papier d’impression gratuit, la totalité des frais supplémentaires de transaction et des visites régulières au magasin par un représentant de la société. [6] Autrement dit, les intimées avaient déjà retenu les services d’un nouveau fournisseur sans donner à DirectCash la possibilité de soumissionner.
Malgré les pressions exercées par DirectCash afin d’obtenir plus de précisions sur l’offre du concurrent, les intimées ont refusé de fournir des renseignements supplémentaires en prétendant que cela n’était [TRADUCTION] « ni nécessaire ni exigé par le contrat » et elles ont conclu une convention avec un autre fournisseur de services. DirectCash a intenté une poursuite judiciaire afin d’obtenir des dommages-intérêts extrajudiciaires en se fondant sur la violation par les intimées de la clause 2.3 des conventions.
Les parties ont convenu des montants des dommages-intérêts au procès. [7] La seule question en litige soumise au juge du procès était celle de savoir si les intimées avaient manqué à leurs obligations contractuelles, plus précisément à leur obligation de divulgation imposée par la clause 2.3. S’agissant de la convention 025, le juge du procès a conclu que la clause 2.3 [TRADUCTION] « énon[çait] clairement les obligations que devait remplir [055655] ». Il a conclu que 055655 N.B.
Ltd. avait violé la convention en omettant de fournir, ainsi que l’exigeait la convention, une copie de l’offre honnête, et il a ordonné le paiement de dommages-intérêts de 13 568,08 $ assortis d’intérêts antérieurs au jugement calculés au taux de 3 % par année à partir de la date du dépôt de l’avis de poursuite jusqu’à la date du jugement. [8] En ce qui concerne les conventions 024 et 396, le juge du procès a conclu qu’il n’était pas très clair au juste ce que la société Maurice’s devait [TRADUCTION] « fournir afin de respecter ses obligations contractuelles ».
Il a conclu que la clause 2.3 manquait de [TRADUCTION] « clarté » et que les conventions manquaient de précision, tout particulièrement que la clause était vague sur le genre de [TRADUCTION] « détails que devait contenir l’avis qui énonce les précisions sur l’offre honnête faite par le nouveau fournisseur ». Il a expliqué la clause comme suit :
[TRADUCTION] D’après mon interprétation de la clause 2.3 des conventions 2030024 et 2030396, j’estime que si les défenderesses obtiennent une offre honnête d’un autre fournisseur, elles ont pour obligations en application des conventions 1) de fournir sans délai à DirectCash un avis écrit de l’offre et 2) d’énoncer dans l’avis écrit les conditions précises de l’offre.
Une fois ces obligations remplies, DirectCash a le droit de présenter une offre équivalente à l’offre honnête et de conclure une convention renfermant les mêmes modalités et conditions que celles de l’offre honnête reçue par le client, en l’occurrence les défenderesses. Il a ensuite appliqué la règle dite contra proferentem , puis, ayant conclu qu’il n’y avait aucune [TRADUCTION] « obligation clairement définie » au sujet de la divulgation de l’offre honnête, il a jugé que la société Maurice’s n’avait pas violé les conventions 024 et 396.
Comme les deux parties avaient obtenu gain de cause dans une certaine mesure, le juge n’a accordé aucuns dépens. III. Moyens d’appel [9] DirectCash interjette appel de la décision en invoquant comme moyens que le juge du procès a commis une erreur d’interprétation et d’application de la clause 2.3 des conventions 024 et 396, et qu’il a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que la société Maurice’s s’était conformée à la clause 2.3 en fournissant sans délai à DirectCash un avis écrit [TRADUCTION] « énonçant les conditions précises de l’offre [des offres] ». IV.
Thèses des parties [10] DirectCash prétend que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il s’est fondé sur la convention 025 pour examiner et interpréter les conventions 024 et 396. Elle soutient que la convention 025 était res inter alios acta et qu’elle n’aurait pas dû servir à l’interprétation des conventions 024 et 396. En second lieu, DirectCash affirme que le juge du procès a mal interprété le mot [TRADUCTION] « précises » figurant à la clause 2.3, qui obligeait la société Maurice’s à divulguer les [TRADUCTION] « conditions précises » de toute offre honnête reçue par elle.
DirectCash fait valoir que les termes dont il s’agit [TRADUCTION] « sont des termes anglais simples qui énoncent clairement ce qui était attendu de la société Maurice’s ». [11] Les intimées prétendent que le juge du procès a bien interprété la clause 2.3 des conventions 024 et 396, et que la [TRADUCTION] « décision dont appel est interjeté est inattaquable ». V. Norme de contrôle [12] Notre Cour a souvent réitéré les normes de contrôle qui doivent être appliquées en appel. Dans l’arrêt Lemay c.
Peters , 2014 NBCA 59 , 425 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 336 , demande d’autorisation de pourvoi à la Cour suprême du Canada, [2014] C.S.C.R. n o 495 (QL), le juge d’appel Richard a résumé plusieurs principes qui sont de droit établi, soit les suivants : « (1) les conclusions de droit doivent être évaluées suivant la norme de la décision correcte; (2) une conclusion de fait a droit à la déférence et ne sera infirmée que si elle est le résultat d’une erreur manifeste et dominante; et (3) les conclusions mixtes de fait et de droit, c’est-à-dire l’application d’une norme juridique à un ensemble de faits pour en arriver à une conclusion finale, ont également droit à la déférence et sont susceptibles de révision suivant la même norme que les conclusions de fait, à moins qu’une erreur de droit ne s’en dégage » (par. 31). [13] Les questions dont la Cour suprême était saisie dans l’affaire Sattva étaient les suivantes : (1) celle de savoir si l’autorisation d’appel aurait dû être accordée afin de permettre qu’un appel soit interjeté d’une sentence arbitrale rendue en vertu de la loi intitulée Arbitration Act , R.S.B.C. 1996, ch. 55, loi de la Colombie-Britannique (autorisation qui pouvait uniquement être accordée sur une question de droit); et (2) celle de savoir quelle était la norme appropriée dans le contexte d’un arbitrage commercial.
Le juge Rothstein a conclu que la question en litige, savoir l’interprétation d’une entente prévoyant le versement d’honoraires d’intermédiation, constituait une question mixte de fait et de droit et, par conséquent, l’autorisation d’appel n’aurait pas dû être accordée. Toutefois, il n’a pas rejeté la possibilité qu’une question de droit puisse être isolée d’une conclusion mixte de fait et de droit, dans le cas, par exemple, d’un décideur qui aurait omis d’ « interprét[er] l’entente dans son ensemble, car il en [aurait] négligé une clause précise et pertinente » (par. 64).
Voici ce qu’il a dit au sujet de l’interprétation contractuelle : La tendance à délaisser l’approche historique au Canada semble s’expliquer par deux changements . Le premier est l’adoption d’une méthode d’interprétation contractuelle qui oblige le tribunal à tenir compte des circonstances — que l’on appelle souvent le fondement factuel — dans l’interprétation d’un contrat écrit (Hall, p. 13, 21-25 et 127; J. D. McCamus, The Law of Contracts (2 e éd. 2012), p. 749- 751) . Le deuxième découle des explications formulées dans les arrêts Canada (Directeur des enquêtes et recherches) c. Southam Inc. ,
(SCC), [1997] 1 R.C.S. 748, par. 35, et Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, par. 26 et 31-36, surce qui distingue la question de droit de la question mixte de fait et de droit. Relativement au premier changement, l’interprétation des contrats a évolué vers une démarche pratique, axée sur le bon sens plutôt quesur des règles de forme en matière d’interprétation. La question prédominante consiste à discerner « l’intention des parties et la portée del’entente » (Jesuit Fathers of Upper Canada c.
Cie d’assurance Guardian du Canada, 2006 CSC 21, [2006] 1 R.C.S. 744, par. 27, lejuge LeBel; voir aussi Tercon Contractors Ltd. c. Colombie-Britannique (Transports et Voirie), 2010 CSC 4, [2010] 1 R.C.S. 69,par. 64-65, le juge Cromwell). Pour ce faire, le décideur doit interpréter le contrat dans son ensemble, en donnant aux mots y figurant lesens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec les circonstances dont les parties avaient connaissance au moment de la conclusiondu contrat.
Par l’examen des circonstances, on reconnaît qu’il peut être difficile de déterminer l’intention contractuelle à partir des seulsmots, car les mots en soi n’ont pas un sens immuable ou absolu : [traduction] Aucun contrat n’est conclu dans l’abstrait : les contrats s’inscrivent toujours dans un contexte. [. . .] Lorsqu’un contratcommercial est en cause, le tribunal devrait certes connaître son objet sur le plan commercial, ce qui présuppose d’autre part uneconnaissance de l’origine de l’opération, de l’historique, du contexte, du marché dans lequel les parties exercent leurs activités. (Reardon Smith Line, p. 574, le lord Wilberforce) Le sens des mots est souvent déterminé par un certain nombre de facteurs contextuels, y compris l’objet de l’entente et la nature desrapports créés par celle-ci (voir Moore Realty Inc. c.
Manitoba Motor League, 2003 MBCA 71, 173 Man. R. (2d) 300, par. 15, la jugeHamilton; voir aussi Hall, p. 22; McCamus, p. 749-750). Pour reprendre les propos du lord Hoffmann dans Investors CompensationScheme Ltd. c. West Bromwich Building Society, [1998] 1 All E.R. 98 (H.L.) : [traduction] Le sens d’un document (ou toute autre déclaration) qui est transmis à la personne raisonnable n’équivaut pas au sens desmots qui le composent.
Le sens des mots fait intervenir les dictionnaires et les grammaires; le sens du document représente ce qu’il estraisonnable de croire que les parties, en employant ces mots compte tenu du contexte pertinent, ont voulu exprimer. [p. 115] Relativement au deuxième changement, l’approche historique de l’interprétation contractuelle ne cadre pas bien avec la définition de lapure question de droit formulée dans les arrêts Housen et Southam. Les questions de droit « concernent la détermination du critèrejuridique applicable » (Southam, par. 35).
Or, lorsqu’il s’agit d’interprétation contractuelle, le but de l’exercice consiste à déterminerl’intention objective des parties — un but axé sur les faits — par l’application des principes juridiques d’interprétation. Il me semble quecela se rapproche plutôt de la question mixte de fait et de droit, définie dans l’arrêt Housen comme supposant « l’application d’une normejuridique à un ensemble de faits » (par. 26; voir aussi Southam, par. 35).
Toutefois, certains tribunaux ont émis des doutes surl’application directe de cette définition, qui avait été établie à l’égard d’une action intentée pour négligence, à des questionsd’interprétation contractuelle et laissent entendre que cette dernière est d’abord et avant tout une affaire de droit (voir par exemple BellCanada, par. 25). Avec tout le respect que je dois aux tenants de l’opinion contraire, à mon avis, il faut rompre avec l’approche historique.
L’interprétationcontractuelle soulève des questions mixtes de fait et de droit, car il s’agit d’en appliquer les principes aux termes figurant dans le contratécrit, à la lumière du fondement factuel. […] Néanmoins, il peut se révéler possible de dégager une pure question de droit de ce qui paraît au départ constituer une question mixte defait et de droit (Housen, par. 31 et 34-35). L’interprétation contractuelle peut occasionner des erreurs de droit, notamment [traduction]« appliquer le mauvais principe ou négliger un élément essentiel d’un critère juridique ou un facteur pertinent » (King, par. 21).
En outre,il est indubitable que nombre d’autres questions se posant en droit des contrats mettent en jeu des règles de droit substantiel : les critèresde formation du contrat, la capacité des parties, l’obligation que soient constatés par écrit certains types de contrat, etc. Le tribunal doit cependant faire preuve de prudence avant d’isoler une question de droit dans un litige portant sur l’interprétationcontractuelle. […] […]
Bien que les circonstances soient prises en considération dans l’interprétation des termes d’un contrat, elles ne doivent jamais lessupplanter (Hayes Forest Services, par. 14; Hall, p. 30). Le décideur examine cette preuve dans le but de mieux saisir les intentionsréciproques et objectives des parties exprimées dans les mots du contrat. Une disposition contractuelle doit toujours être interprétée surle fondement de son libellé et de l’ensemble du contrat (Hall, p. 15 et 30-32).
Les circonstances sous-tendent l’interprétation du contrat,mais le tribunal ne saurait fonder sur elles une lecture du texte qui s’écarte de ce dernier au point de créer dans les faits une nouvelleentente (Glaswegian Enterprises Inc. c. B.C. Tel Mobility Cellular Inc. (1997), (BC CA), 101 B.C.A.C. 62). […] Je reconnais qu’il est un principe fondamental de l’interprétation contractuelle selon lequel le contrat doit être interprété dans sonensemble (McCamus, p. 761-762; Hall, p. 15).
Si l’arbitre n’a pas tenu compte de la stipulation relative au « plafond », comme le prétendCreston, il n’a alors pas interprété l’entente dans son ensemble, car il en a négligé une clause précise et pertinente. Voilà une question dedroit qui pourrait être isolée de la conclusion mixte de fait et de droit. [Par. 46 à 50, 53 et 54, 57, 64] [14] Les principes énoncés ci-dessus en matière d’interprétation contractuelle ne sont pas réservés au contexte del’arbitrage commercial. Voir Do Process LP c. Infokey Software Inc., 2015 BCCA 52, [2015] B.C.J No. 214 (QL); Halifax (RegionalMunicipality) c.
Canadian National Railway Company, 2014 NSCA 104, [2014] N.S.J. No. 602 (QL); Linden c. CUMIS Life InsuranceCompany, 2015 NSCA 20, [2015] N.S.J. No. 83 (QL); Ledcor Construction; Ariston Realty Corp. c. Elcarim Inc., 2014 ONCA 737, [2014] O.J. No. 5093 (QL), demande d’autorisation de pourvoi à la Cour suprême du Canada, [2015] C.S.C.R. no 79 (QL); GorewayTotal Health Inc. c. Goldbrite Trading Co. Ltd., 2014 ONCA 873, [2014] O.J. No. 5804 (QL); Buffalo Trail Public Schools RegionalDivision No. 29 c. Alberta Teachers Association, 2014 ABCA 407, [2014] A.J.
No. 1337 (QL); First Elgin Mills Developments Inc. c.Romandale Farms Limited, 2015 ONCA 54, [2015] O.J. No. 397 (QL); Duncanson c. Webster, 2015 NSCA 29, [2015] N.S.J. No. 123(QL); Wesbell Networks Inc. c. Bell Canada, 2015 ONCA 33, [2015] O.J. No. 279 (QL). [15] J’applique le raisonnement adopté par le juge Rothstein dans l’arrêt Sattva et je conclus qu’en l’espèce laquestion de l’interprétation contractuelle est une question mixte de droit et de fait.
Cela dit, une erreur de droit peut être isolée de ladécision du tribunal d’instance inférieure, savoir l’application erronée d’un principe de droit, ce qui fait intervenir la norme de la décisioncorrecte. Les intimées prétendent qu’une norme de déférence doit être appliquée en se fondant sur le simple moyen qu’il s’agit d’unequestion mixte de fait et de droit. Je rejette cet argument.
DirectCash prétend que, s’agissant de questions mixtes de fait et de droit, lanorme de contrôle en appel peut varier entre la norme de la décision correcte, à une extrémité du « spectre », et la norme de l’erreurmanifeste et dominante, à l’autre extrémité. Elle cite à l’appui de cet argument l’arrêt Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2R.C.S. 235, par. 8, 27, 28 et 36, rendu par les juges Iacobucci et Major au nom de la majorité, de même que l’arrêt Sattva, par. 51 et 52.Dans l’arrêt Ledcor Construction Limited c. Northbridge Indemnity Insurance Company, 2015 ABCA 121, [2015] A.J.
No. 338 (Q.L.)[Ledcor Construction], la Cour a résumé ce qui précède : [TRADUCTION] S’agissant des questions mixtes de fait et de droit, il faut décider si un ensemble de faits donné répond à la norme juridique. Pour ce faire,le tribunal doit tirer une inférence juridique de ces faits, ce qui fait intervenir une « norme de contrôle plus exigeante » : Housen, par. 26,28. Cette norme peut s’avérer difficile à établir parce que « les questions mixtes de fait et de droit s’étalent le long d’un spectrecomportant des degrés variables de particularité » : Housen, par. 28.
Dans la mesure où l’interprétation d’un contrat d’assurance est unequestion mixte de fait et de droit, elle s’inscrit à l’extrémité de ce « spectre comportant des degrés variables de particularité » et, partant,la norme de contrôle dans l’interprétation des polices d’assurance est celle de la décision correcte. La révision en appel est nécessaireafin d’assurer la cohérence des résultats, ce qui constitue une
partie légitime de la fonction des cours d’appel intermédiaires : NorthwestTerritories (Attorney General) c. Association des parents ayants droit de Yellowknife, 2015 NWTCA 2, par. 28. [Par. 18] [16] L’arrêt Ledcor Construction fournit un résumé utile de l’arrêt Sattva (voir le par. 12), d’autant plus qu’enl’espèce, tout comme dans Ledcor, c’est une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine qui est frappée d’appel plutôt qu’une sentencearbitrale commerciale rendue dans le contexte d’une loi restrictive.
Comme l’a dit la Cour dans Ledcor : [TRADUCTION]Il faut lire les motifs de l’arrêt Sattva dans le contexte dans lequel ils ont été rendus. Les décisions de la Cour du Banc de la Reine del’Alberta peuvent être portées en appel devant la Cour d’appel de l’Alberta sur n’importe quel fondement. Bien que la norme de contrôleappropriée doive être appliquée dans tous les appels, ces derniers peuvent être interjetés sur une question de droit, une question mixte defait et de droit et une question de fait. Certains propos restrictifs tenus dans Sattva ne s’appliquent pas aux appels ordinaires en Alberta.[Par. 12]
[17] Par conséquent, sur le fondement de l’arrêt Sattva, je conclus que l’interprétation contractuelle dans le cadred’un appel ordinaire constitue maintenant principalement une question mixte de droit et de fait, où il faut déterminer les intentionsobjectives des parties au moyen d’une analyse de leurs relations commerciales ou des « circonstances ».
Ces questions d’interprétationdoivent être examinées en fonction de la norme de la décision correcte uniquement lorsqu’il est possible d’en isoler une question de droit.Les circonstances dans lesquelles une question de droit peut être isolée du processus d’interprétation sont « rares » : Sattva, par. 55. LaCour suprême a donné comme exemples d’erreurs de droit qui peuvent être isolées le fait d’appliquer le mauvais principe, de négliger unélément essentiel d’un critère juridique ou un facteur pertinent.
Ce principe a été examiné récemment par le juge d’appel Slatter dansl’arrêt Northwest Territories (Attorney General) c. Association des parents ayants droit de Yellowknife, 2015 NWTCA 2, [2015]N.W.T.J. No. 4 (QL). VI. Analyse et conclusion [18] La Cour suprême a envoyé un message clair en réitérant que les contrats doivent être interprétés dans leurensemble, suivant une démarche contextuelle et à la lumière du fondement factuel des affaires négociées entre les parties (voir Sattva,par. 50). Il y a longtemps que notre Cour applique ce principe. Dans l’arrêt Steeves c.
Capital Safe & Lock Services, 2000 NBCA 1, 230 R.N.-B. (2e) 117 [Steeves], le juge d’appel Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), s’est exprimé ainsi : [TRADUCTION][…] Bien sûr, l’imprécision apparente des clauses d’un contrat devient sans conséquence s’il est possible d’extraire l’intention des partiesdes mots qu’elles ont employés et du contexte de leur emploi. [Par. 28] [19] Notre Cour a reconnu cette démarche également dans son application de l’arrêt Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (SCC), [1998] 1 R.C.S. 27, [1998] A.C.S. no 2 (QL).
La Cour suprême a précisé, dans cette décision, qu’il faut lire lestermes « dans leur contexte global en suivant le sens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec l’esprit de la loi, l’objet de la loi etl’intention du législateur » (par. 21) : Robichaud et al. c. Pharmacie Acadienne de Beresford Ltée et autre, 2008 NBCA 12, 328 R.N.-B. (2e) 205, par. 19 [Robichaud].
Dans cette affaire, le juge en chef Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., a effectué une analyse contextuelle et conclu que leprocessus d’interprétation contractuelle et législative met en jeu « un même ensemble de considérations importantes » (par. 19). [20] Toujours dans l’arrêt Robichaud, le juge en chef Drapeau a tenu les propos suivants : L’interprétation d’un contrat a pour but de déterminer quelle était l’intention véritable des parties au moment de sa passation. La Courdoit établir cette intention en examinant le sens des termes que les parties contractantes ont employés […].
Le plus souvent, le contextejoue un rôle important dans la détermination du sens […]. [Par. 18] [21] S’agissant d’interprétation contractuelle, la jurisprudence courante a adopté une démarche axée sur les faits, enencourageant les tribunaux à tenir compte des « circonstances », lesquelles sont souvent pertinentes pour établir nettement l’intention desparties dans les affaires commerciales (Sattva). [22] Qui plus est, on y élargit l’application du principe de la bonne foi. Dans l’arrêt Bhasin c.
Hrynew, 2014 CSC71, [2014] 3 R.C.S. 494 [Bhasin], le juge Cromwell a conclu que la bonne foi entre en jeu dans l’interprétation contractuelle, puisqu’elleétablit les normes minimales de conduite qu’on peut généralement présumer que les parties entendent respecter. [23] Compte tenu des principes énoncés ci-dessus, je conclus que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droitlorsqu’il a donné à la clause 2.3 des conventions 024 et 396 une interprétation stricte ou restrictive.
Une interprétation globale desconventions révèle que les parties avaient nettement pour intention que DirectCash ait la possibilité d’offrir des modalités et conditionséquivalentes à toute offre honnête que recevraient les intimées. La clause 2.3 obligeait les intimées à faire connaître les « conditionsprécises » de toute offre honnête qu’elles recevaient afin que DirectCash ait la possibilité légitime de présenter une offre équivalente à lanouvelle offre « [selon] les mêmes modalités et conditions ».
Le juge du procès a omis d’examiner les conventions dans leur ensemble.Utilisant la convention 025 comme référence, il a invoqué la règle dite contra proferentem pour interpréter la clause de manièrefavorable aux intimées. Cette règle est une solution de dernier ressort qui doit être utilisée lorsque toutes les autres règles d’interprétationcontractuelle se sont avérées inutiles. Dans l’arrêt Compagnie des chemins de fer nationaux du Canada c.
Royal et Sun Alliance duCanada, Sociétés d’assurances, 2008 CSC 66, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 453, le juge Binnie a écrit : « [le] principe contra proferentem s’appliqueuniquement, le cas échéant, [TRADUCTION] “lorsque toutes les autres règles d’interprétation ne permettent pas de trouver lasolution” » (par. 33).
[24] Dans l’affaire Ledcor Construction, la Cour a abondé dans le même sens : Le juge du procès a tranché l’affaire sur le fondement de la règle dite contra proferentem. Cette règle s’applique uniquement s’il y aambiguïté dans la police; elle ne doit pas servir à créer l’ambiguïté. Le simple fait que l’application de la police à des situations factuellesparticulières puisse poser un problème épineux ne signifie pas pour autant que le libellé de la police est « ambigu ». En réalité, selon lajurisprudence, ce type d’exclusion n’est pas ambigu : Compagnie des chemins de fer nationaux du Canada c.
Royal et Sun Alliance duCanada, Sociétés d’assurances, 2008 CSC 66, par. 33, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 453. Ce libellé a été appliqué à diverses situations factuelles dansde nombreuses affaires, où le recours à la règle dite contra proferentem a été expressément rejeté, par exemple, les décisions Triple Five(CA), au par. 43 et Poole-Pritchard, à la p. 691. [Par. 58] [25] La règle dite contra proferentem s’appliquera dans les affaires où les dispositions contractuelles sontambiguës. En termes simples, comme l’a dit le juge Estey dans l’arrêt McClelland & Stewart Ltd. c.
Mutual Life, (SCC),[1981] 2 R.C.S. 6, s’il existe une ambiguïté dans une condition contractuelle, le décideur devrait tirer une conclusion défavorable àl’auteur du document. [26] Tel n’est pas le cas en l’espèce. En effet, le libellé de la clause 2.3 des conventions 024 et 396 est limpide.
Lestermes [TRADUCTION] « conditions précises » et [TRADUCTION] « prescrivant les mêmes modalités et conditions », pris dans leursens ordinaire selon une analyse contextuelle et téléologique, me convainquent du fait que, manifestement, DirectCash devait avoir lesdétails précis de l’offre du concurrent pour pouvoir exercer son droit de premier refus. [27] Dès lors que la société Maurice’s a reçu une offre honnête d’un autre fournisseur de services, elle avaitl’obligation contractuelle envers DirectCash de lui fournir suffisamment de renseignements concernant cette offre pour permettre àDirectCash de répondre de manière efficace : voir Confederation Trust Co. c.
Duncan et al. (2000), (NB CA), 226 R.N.-B. (2e) 277, [2000] A.N.-B. no 196 (C.A.) (QL), arrêt rendu par le juge Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), autorisation de pourvoi à la Cour suprême du Canada refusée, [2000] C.S.C.R. no 366 (QL); Hanen c. Cartwright, 2007 ABQB 184, [2007] A.J. No. 334 (QL),décision rendue par la juge Erb, par. 40 à 43, confirmée à 2007 ABCA 388, [2007] A.J. No. 1343 (QL).
Selon une analyse contextuelle,il est raisonnable de conclure que DirectCash avait besoin d’information « précise » sur toute offre reçue par les intimées, y compris des détails, notamment des détails monétaires, sur les conditions de l’offre.
Dans l’ouvrage The Oxford English Dictionary, 2e éd., le motanglais specific s’entend de ce qui est précis ou exact en matière d’exécution ou en ce qui concerne des conditions ou des modalités, de cequi est déterminé ou explicite. [28] Je conclus également que le juge du procès a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision lorsqu’ils’est fondé sur la convention 025 comme source pour interpréter les conventions 024 et 396, ce qui allait à l’encontre de la doctrine diteres inter alios acta.
En omettant de se pencher sur le libellé de chaque convention, il n’a pas tenu compte de l’objectif global de la clause2.3, laquelle visait à donner à DirectCash une possibilité réelle de présenter une offre équivalente à toute autre offre honnête faite àl’expiration de chaque convention. Pour que DirectCash ait cette possibilité, les intimées étaient tenues de communiquer les « conditionsprécises » de la nouvelle offre. La clause est sans équivoque, par conséquent, la règle dite contra proferentem ne s’appliquait pas enl’espèce. [29] DirectCash a soulevé la question de la bonne foi.
J’en profite ici pour discuter de l’arrêt Bhasin. Dans cetteaffaire, même si la
partie intimée avait respecté au sens propre la clause conférant un droit de premier refus, la Cour a conclu que lerespect strict de la clause ne constituait pas un moyen de défense à l’égard d’une conduite qui équivalait à la mauvaise foi dans lesrelations contractuelles. Même si la bonne foi n’avait pas été plaidée explicitement, le juge Cromwell était d’avis que la juge du procèsn’avait pas commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision.
Les parties contractantes ont l’obligation implicite non seulement deremplir leurs obligations contractuelles, mais elles doivent aussi les exécuter « de manière honnête et raisonnable, et non de façonabusive ou arbitraire » (par. 63). Le juge Cromwell a créé une nouvelle « obligation en common law au sein du vaste principe directeurde l’exécution de bonne foi des contrats » (par. 72 et 73). [30] Je souscris aux propos énoncés ci-dessus et je ferais remarquer que, même si la mauvaise foi n’a jamais étésoulevée en l’espèce, une insinuation subtile est omniprésente dans toute l’affaire.
Il aurait été facile aux intimées de faire parvenir àDirectCash les « conditions précises » qu’elle demandait concernant l’offre honnête qui leur était faite. Au lieu de cela, elles ont répondude manière abusive, sans se préoccuper de l’intention globale de l’ensemble des conventions. À mon avis, il est indéfendable pour lesintimées de simplement se fonder sur leur propre interprétation du droit de premier refus sans tenir compte de l’intention véritable quisous-tend ce droit.
VII. Dispositif [31] Pour ces motifs, j’accueillerais l’appel, j’annulerais le jugement de la Cour du Banc de la Reine concernant les conventions 024 et 396, et j’ordonnerais que jugement soit rendu en faveur de DirectCash au montant de 47 855,33 $, assorti d’intérêts antérieurs au jugement de 3 % par année du 1 er septembre 2010 au 27 juin 2014. DirectCash a droit aussi au recouvrement de ses dépens au procès sur ce montant, suivant le tarif A, échelle 1, de la règle 59. En outre, je lui accorderais des dépens en appel de 2 500 $.