r v. New Brunswick et al., 2019 NBCA 10
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 112-17-CA E.J. MOCKLER and E.J. MOCKLER, PROFESSIONAL CORP. INTENDED APPELLANTS E.J. MOCKLER et E.J. MOCKLER, PROFESSIONAL CORP. APPELANTS ÉVENTUELS - and - - et - THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, THE NEW BRUNSWICK UNION OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE EMPLOYEES, THE NEW BRUNSWICK UNION, LOCAL 37 OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF ELECTRICAL WORKERS, MARILYN QUINN, SUSIE PROULX-DAIGLE, ROSS GALBRAITH, LEONARD LEE-WHITE, ERNEST L.
MacKINNON, MARK GAUDET, THE NEW BRUNSWICK INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT CORPORATION and GUY LEVESQUE INTENDED RESPONDENTS LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, LE SYNDICAT DES EMPLOYÉ(E)S DES SECTEURS PUBLIC ET PRIVÉ DU NOUVEAU- BRUNSWICK, LE SYNDICAT DU NOUVEAU- BRUNSWICK, LA
SECTION LOCALE 37 DE LA FRATERNITÉ INTERNATIONALE DES OUVRIERS EN ÉLECTRICITÉ, MARILYN QUINN, SUSIE PROULX-DAIGLE, ROSS GALBRAITH, LEONARD LEE-WHITE, ERNEST L. MacKINNON, MARK GAUDET, LA SOCIÉTÉ DE GESTION DES PLACEMENTS DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK et GUY LEVESQUE INTIMÉS ÉVENTUELS Mockler v. New Brunswick et al., 2019 NBCA 10 Mockler c.
Nouveau-Brunswick et autres, 2019 NBCA 10 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French Motion for leave to appeal a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 28, 2017 Motion en autorisation d’appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 28 septembre 2017 History of case: Decision sought to be appealed: 2017 NBQB 180 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 238 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N.A.
Historique de la cause : Décision portée en appel : 2017 NBBR 180 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 238 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Preliminary issue heard: April 10 and June 13, 2018 Question préliminaire entendue : le 10 avril et le 13 juin 2018 Judgment rendered: January 28, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 28 janvier 2019 Counsel at hearing: For the intended appellants: G. Scott Ellsworth, Q.C. For the intended respondents, the Province of New Brunswick and the New Brunswick Investment Management Corporation: Stephen J. Hutchison, Q.C., and Josie H.
Marks For the intended respondents, the New Brunswick Union of Public and Private Employees and New Brunswick Nurses Union and Local 37 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers : David M. Brown, Q.C. For the intended respondents, Marilyn Quinn, Susie Proulx-Daigle, Ross Galbraith, Leonard Lee-White, Ernest L. MacKinnon and Mark Gaudet: Bettina Quigstgaard For the intended respondent, Guy Levesque: Danielle Kershaw Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants éventuels : G. Scott Ellsworth, c.r.
Pour les intimés éventuels la Province du Nouveau- Brunswick et la Société de gestion des placements du Nouveau-Brunswick : Stephen J. Hutchison, c.r., et Josie H. Marks Pour les intimés éventuels le Syndicat des employé(e)s des secteurs public et privé du Nouveau-Brunswick et la
Section locale 37 de la Fraternité internationale des ouvriers en électricité : David M. Brown, c.r. Pour les intimés éventuels Marilyn Quinn, Susie Proulx-Daigle, Ross Galbraith, Leonard Lee-White, Ernest L. MacKinnon et Mark Gaudet : Bettina Quigstgaard Pour l’intimé éventuel Guy Levesque : Danielle Kershaw THE COURT The motion is allowed. Eugene J. Mockler, Q.C. and E.J. Mockler, Professional Corporation have until February 8, 2019, to appeal the decision removing them as solicitors of record in matter FC-351-15. LA COUR La motion est accueillie. Eugene J. Mockler, c.r., et E.J.
Mockler, Professional Corporation ont jusqu’au 8 février 2019 pour interjeter appel de la décision les radiant en tant qu’avocats commis au dossier dans l’affaire FC-351-15. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] Eugene J. Mockler and E.J. Mockler, Professional Corporation have standing to appeal the decision that led to their removal as solicitors of record for Guy Levesque. They do not require leave. Their motion for an extension of time to issue and serve a notice of appeal is allowed. The time is extended to February 8, 2019. Reasons for our decision will follow
shortly. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR [1] Eugene J. Mockler et E.J. Mockler, Professional Corporation ont qualité pour interjeter appel de la décision les radiant en tant qu’avocats commis au dossier de Guy Levesque. Ils n’ont pas besoin d’obtenir l’autorisation d’interjeter appel. Leur motion visant à obtenir une prolongation du délai imparti pour émettre et signifier un avis d’appel est accueillie. Le délai est prolongé jusqu’au 8 février 2019. Les motifs de notre décision suivront sous peu. [ 2 ] COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 112-17-CA E.J.
MOCKLER and E.J. MOCKLER, PROFESSIONAL CORPORATION INTENDED APPELLANTS E.J. MOCKLER et E.J. MOCKLER, PROFESSIONAL CORPORATION APPELANTS ÉVENTUELS - and - - et – THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, THE NEW BRUNSWICK UNION OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE EMPLOYEES, THE NEW BRUNSWICK NURSES UNION, LOCAL 37 OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF ELECTRICAL WORKERS, MARILYN QUINN, SUSIE PROULX-DAIGLE, ROSS GALBRAITH, LEONARD LEE-WHITE, ERNEST L. MacKINNON, MARK GAUDET, THE NEW BRUNSWICK INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT CORPORATION and GUY LEVESQUE INTENDED RESPONDENTS.
LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, LE SYNDICAT DES EMPLOYÉ(E)S DES SECTEURS PUBLIC ET PRIVÉ DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, LE SYNDICAT DES INFIRMIÈRES ET INFIRMIERS DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, LA
SECTION LOCALE 37 DE LA FRATERNITÉ INTERNATIONALE DES OUVRIERS EN ÉLECTRICITÉ, MARILYN QUINN, SUSIE PROULX-DAIGLE, ROSS GALBRAITH, LEONARD LEE-WHITE, ERNEST L. MacKINNON, MARK GAUDET, LA SOCIÉTÉ DE GESTION DES PLACEMENTS DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK et GUY LEVESQUE INTIMÉS ÉVENTUELS Mockler v. New Brunswick et al., 2019 NBCA 10 Mockler c. Nouveau-Brunswick et autres, 2019 NBCA 10
CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French Motion for leave to appeal a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 28, 2017 Motion en autorisation d’appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 28 septembre 2017 History of case: Decision sought to be appealed: 2017 NBQB 180 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 238 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N.A.
Historique de la cause : Décision portée en appel : 2017 NBBR 180 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 238 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Preliminary issue heard: April 10 and June 13, 2018 Question préliminaire entendue : le 10 avril et le 13 juin 2018 Judgment rendered: January 28, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 28 janvier 2019 Reasons delivered: April 4, 2019 Motifs déposés : le 4 avril 2019 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge en chef Richard Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French
Counsel at hearing: For the intended appellants: G. Scott Ellsworth, Q.C. For the intended respondents, the Province of New Brunswick and the New Brunswick Investment Management Corporation: Stephen J. Hutchison, Q.C., and Josie H. Marks For the intended respondents, the New Brunswick Union of Public and Private Employees and New Brunswick Nurses Union and Local 37 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers: David M. Brown, Q.C. For the intended respondents, Marilyn Quinn, Susie Proulx-Daigle, Ross Galbraith, Leonard Lee-White, Ernest L.
MacKinnon and Mark Gaudet: Bettina Quigstgaard For the intended respondent, Guy Levesque: Danielle Kershaw Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants éventuels : G. Scott Ellsworth, c.r. Pour les intimées éventuelles la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et la Société de gestion des placements du Nouveau-Brunswick : Stephen J. Hutchison, c.r., et Josie H. Marks Pour les intimés éventuels le Syndicat des employé(e)s des secteurs public et privé du Nouveau-Brunswick, le Syndicat des infirmières et infirmiers du Nouveau-Brunswick et la
section locale 37 de la Fraternité internationale des ouvriers en électricité : David M. Brown, c.r. Pour les intimés éventuels Marilyn Quinn, Susie Proulx-Daigle, Ross Galbraith, Leonard Lee-White, Ernest L. MacKinnon et Mark Gaudet : Bettina Quigstgaard Pour l’intimé éventuel Guy Levesque : Danielle Kershaw THE COURT The motion is allowed. Eugene J. Mockler, Q.C. and E.J. Mockler, Professional Corporation have until February 8, 2019, to appeal the decision removing them as solicitors of record in matter FC-351-15. Three sets of costs of $700 each are to be paid to the Mockler firm.
LA COUR La motion est accueillie. Eugene J. Mockler, c.r., et E.J. Mockler, Professional Corporation ont jusqu’au 8 février 2019 pour interjeter appel de la décision les radiant en tant qu’avocats commis au dossier dans l’affaire FC-351-15. Trois masses de dépens de 700 $ chacune seront payées au bureau d’avocats Mockler. The judgment of the Court was delivered by RICHARD, C.J.N.B. I. Introduction
[2] Courts of appeal are statutory creatures that draw their jurisdiction from legislation. In NewBrunswick, the law provides that an appeal to the Court of Appeal in a civil matter may be taken by any party from any judgment, orderor decision made in the Court of Queen’s Bench except that, in some instances, leave to appeal must first be obtained: Judicature Act,R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2, s. 8(3). The term “party” has long been defined as including “every person served with notice of or attending anyproceeding, although not named in the record”: Judicature Act, s. 1 (emphasis added).
In the equally authoritative French version,“‘partie’ comprend toute personne qui reçoit signification d’un avis de comparution ou qui comparaît à une procédure, quoique son nomne figure pas au dossier”: Judicature Act, s. 1 (emphasis added). [3] What remains unclear is the meaning of the term “proceeding” – a term not defined in eitherthe Judicature Act or the Rules of Court. Two
interpretations are possible: (1) a general definition pursuant to which the term includes allthe steps in a matter brought before the courts; and (2) a restrictive definition limiting the term to mean either an action or an applicationbut not discrete steps taken in the course of that proceeding, such as a motion. [4] The Rules of Court recognize that, in some instances, someone may be affected by an ordersought in a matter in which the person is not named as a party.
Rule 37.04 provides that, where a person would be affected by an ordersought by way of motion, the Notice of Motion and supporting affidavits must be served on that person unless the court orders otherwise.At issue in the present matter is whether such a person, having been served with the Notice of Motion and having made a formalappearance before the court to take a position on the motion, qualifies as a “party” under the Judicature Act for the purpose of appealinga decision that affects him or her.
If the term “proceeding” is given a broad definition, such a person would have a right to appeal or toseek leave to appeal, as the case may be; whereas, if the term is defined restrictively, the person would not have such a right because heor she had not been served with the originating process, i.e. the Notice of Action or Notice of Application, or would not have made aformal appearance at the trial of the action or at the hearing of the application, as the case may be.
Under the restrictive approach, aperson affected by an order issued pursuant to a motion would be left without remedy unless the person had been added as an intervenorin the action or application. [5] In my view, the term “proceeding” in the definition of “party” in s. 1 of the Judicature Actmust be given an
interpretation that includes a person, not named as a party to an action or application, who is served with a Notice ofMotion or makes a formal appearance at the hearing of the motion because the order sought could affect him or her. Otherwise, a personaffected by an order made in the course of the motion would be left without any appellate recourse. II. Background [6] In the present case, Eugene J. Mockler, Q.C., and E.J.
Mockler Professional Corporation(collectively, the “Mockler firm”) were served with a Notice of Motion in which the relief sought was that they be removed as solicitorsof record in an action and that they pay costs on a solicitor-client basis. The Mockler firm attended at the hearing of the motion, wasrepresented by counsel, adduced evidence and argued against the relief sought in the Notice of Motion. While the firm was not orderedto pay the costs as sought, they were ordered removed as solicitors of record. The firm seeks to appeal that decision. Three avenues forgiving them standing to do so are proposed:
a) The Mockler firm can be added as intervenors pursuant to Rule 15 of the Rules of Court for the purpose of appealing orseeking leave to appeal;
b) The Mockler firm can be granted leave to appeal as non-parties pursuant to the inherent jurisdiction of the Court recognizedin Société des Acadiens v. Association of Parents, (SCC), [1986] 1 S.C.R. 549, [1986] S.C.J. No. 26 (QL):
c) The Mockler firm is a party as defined in the Judicature Act with a right to appeal or to seek leave to appeal. [7] The factual matrix relevant to this matter is simple. [8] Upon his retirement, Guy Levesque, a former employee of the Province of New Brunswick,received a pension under a defined benefit pension plan established by the Public Service Superannuation Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-26. In2013, the Province enacted
An Act Respecting Pensions under the Public Service Superannuation Act, S.N.B. 2013, c. 44, the effect ofwhich converted the pension plan under the Public Service Superannuation Act into a shared risk plan. On January 1, 2014, funds underthe former plan were transferred to a new board of trustees. On behalf of himself and other pensioners, Mr. Levesque instituted an action
challenging the transfer of funds. To this end, he retained the services of the Mockler firm. [ 9 ] In the course of the action, it came to light that a lawyer, who was a member of the board of directors of the New Brunswick Investment Management Corporation (one of the defendants) and was also himself a pensioner, was assisting the Mockler firm regarding some aspects of the litigation. [ 10 ] Two of the defendants – the Investment Management Corporation and the Province of New Brunswick – applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench for an order removing the Mockler firm as solicitors of record for Mr. Levesque.
They also sought other relief, including an order that the Mockler firm pay costs on a solicitor and client basis. Because they might be affected by the order sought, both the Mockler firm and the lawyer who had been assisting it were served with the Notice of Motion. Obviously, other parties to the litigation were also served. [ 11 ] Following a hearing that spanned several days, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench granted the order sought together with some corollary orders: 2017 NBQB 180 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 238 (QL) . In a separate order, dated November 27, 2017, the motion judge ordered that Mr.
Levesque, not the Mockler firm, pay costs. [ 12 ] The Mockler firm wants to appeal the motion judge’s decision. Mr. Levesque has not sought leave to appeal although he supports the Mockler firm’s position that the judge erred. Mr. Levesque argues he wants the Mockler firm to be his counsel in the action he brought against the defendants. The Mockler firm seeks leave to appeal or, alternatively, if leave is not required, seeks an extension of time to appeal. As part of its motion, the Mockler firm asks that, if necessary, Mr. Mockler and his professional corporation be added as parties. III.
Analysis [ 13 ] As indicated above, three avenues for the Mockler firm to be able to appeal the motion judge’s decision have been put forth. The defendants to the action all oppose the Mockler firm’s standing to appeal or to seek leave to appeal. According to them, only parties to an action can have standing to appeal or seek leave to appeal, as the case may be, against any decision made in the course of the action.
In addition, they claim the Mockler firm does not qualify to be added as an intervenor under Rule 15 of the Rules of Court and does not meet the criteria to be allowed to appeal as a non-party pursuant to the inherent jurisdiction of the court as set out in Société des Acadiens . A. Rule 15 intervention is not applicable [ 14 ] Regarding intervention under Rule 15, the defendants acknowledge that Rule 15.02 contemplates a non-party to a proceeding applying to intervene if that person either: (
a) has an interest in the subject matter of a proceeding; (
b) may be adversely affected by a judgment in a proceeding; or (
c) shares a question of law or fact in common with a question in issue in a proceeding as between that non-party and one or more of the parties. The defendants claim the Mockler firm does not meet these criteria because, under the Rules of Court , it is clear that the term “proceeding” relates to an action or an application. I agree that, generally speaking, the term “proceeding” as used in the Rules refers to an action or an application, although I do not opine on whether there may be instances where the context might justify a broader
interpretation. [ 15 ] There are many indications in the Rules of Court leading to the conclusion that, generally speaking, the term “proceeding” means an action or an application. For example, in Rule 1.04, an “originating process” is defined as meaning a document by which a proceeding is commenced under the Rules , such as a Notice of Action and a Notice of Application (although it can also include a Counterclaim against a party added by counterclaim, a Third Party Claim, a Petition for Divorce, etc.), and expressly excludes a Notice of Motion.
The term “action” is defined as meaning “a proceeding commenced by issuing a Notice of Action; whereas “‘application’ means a proceeding commenced by issuing a Notice of Application.” The term “motion,” on the other hand, is not said to be a “proceeding.” Rule 1.07, dealing with the transition from the previous Rules to the current Rules , clearly differentiates between a proceeding and a step therein. The rule governing the procedure on motions also makes a clear distinction between a motion and the proceeding to which it relates.
Rule 37.02 says that a motion shall be made in the judicial district “in which the proceeding was or will be commenced, or …”. Clearly, “proceeding” relates to the action or the application. There are numerous other examples leading to the conclusion that, in the Rules of Court , “proceeding” generally means an action or an application but not the steps taken in the course of such a proceeding, such as a motion. Even Rule 37.04, pursuant to which the Mockler firm was served with the Notice of Motion, leads to that conclusion.
It states that, “[u]nless ordered otherwise, a Notice of Motion … shall be served on all parties to the proceeding and on any persons who would be affected by the order sought.” Obviously, the motion is not the proceeding to which the Rule refers.
[ 16 ] Returning to Rule 15, a person may apply to intervene as an added party if that person claims an interest in the subject matter of a proceeding, that he or she may be adversely affected by a judgment in a proceeding or that there exists between that person and one or more of the parties a question of law or fact in common with a question in issue in a proceeding. In the present case, the Mockler firm has no interest in the subject matter of the action Mr.
Levesque has brought against the defendants; the firm will not be adversely affected by a judgment in that matter; and there is not, between the firm and one or more of the parties, a question of law in common with one in issue in the action. Thus, there is no basis for the Mockler firm to be added as an intervenor under Rule 15. B.
The criteria set out in Société des Acadiens is not met [ 17 ] As for leave to appeal as a non-party pursuant to the inherent jurisdiction of the Court as recognized in Société des Acadiens , the defendants recognize this as a possible avenue for the Mockler firm to appeal but argue the firm does not meet the criteria. [ 18 ] In Société des Acadiens , although three sets of reasons were delivered, the Supreme Court was unanimous in holding that the New Brunswick Court of Appeal has the inherent jurisdiction to grant a non-party leave to appeal a decision.
According to the Supreme Court, “[t]he test applied in order to determine when a case was a proper case for [such] leave was whether the applicant would have been a proper, if not a necessary, party to the action” (p. 594). On this point, Wilson J. states that “[a] number of factors […] affect the exercise of a court’s discretion on such an application” (p. 594). She continues: An appellant should be able to show, for example, (
a) that its interest was not represented at the proceeding; (
b) that it has an interest which will be adversely affected by the decision; (
c) that it is, or can be, bound by the order; (
d) that it has a reasonably arguable case; and (
e) that the interests of justice in avoiding a multiplicity of proceedings would be served by the grant of leave. [p. 594] [ 19 ] The defendants to the action maintain that these factors are not met in this case. They point out that, contrary to the situation in Société des Acadiens , the interests of the Mockler firm in the present case were represented by counsel before the motion judge. I agree that Société des Acadiens is generally meant to address situations in which a person was not involved in a dispute but finds him or herself adversely affected by an order that results from it.
That is not the case in the present matter as it relates to the motion to remove the Mockler firm as counsel of record, since the Mockler firm was involved in the motion, having been served with notice and having taken part at the hearing. C. The right of appeal contemplated in s. 8(3) of the Judicature Act [ 20 ] In light of the above, the only avenue for the Mockler firm to challenge the motion judge’s decision is if it has a right to appeal pursuant to s. 8(3) of the Judicature Act . In my view, it does. [ 21 ] It bears repeating that s. 8(3) (
a) entitles “any party” to appeal to the Court of Appeal any judgment, order or decision made in the Court of Queen’s Bench, except that leave to appeal from a judge of the Court of Appeal is required if the intended appeal is from either an interlocutory order or decision, an order or decision as to costs only or a consent order. The term party is defined in s. 1 of the Judicature Act : “party” includes every person served with notice of or attending any proceeding, although not named in the record; «
partie » comprend toute personne qui reçoit signification d’un avis de comparution ou qui comparaît à une procédure, quoique son nom ne figure pas au dossier; [ 22 ] The current definition of the term “party” has featured in the Judicature Act since its original enactment: Judicature Act , 1906, S.N.B. 1906, c. 37 , which received Royal Assent but was never proclaimed, and was then repeated in the Judicature Act , 1909, S.N.B. 1909, c. 5 , proclaimed into force on May 1, 1910. [ 23 ] The term “proceeding,” however, is not defined except in the part of the Act dealing with the Family Division, where the term is said to “include any action, cause, matter, petition or application” for the purposes of sections 11 to 11.6.
[ 24 ] The defendants argue that the term “party” in s. 8(3) refers only to persons named in the style of cause of an originating process. They point out that the Judicature Act is not consistent in its use of the word “party.” The term is frequently qualified, such as “party to the proceeding” or “parties to a civil proceeding,” “parties litigant”, “party to the same cause or matter,” “parties concerned” or “interested party.” Moreover, the term proceeding is also often qualified.
One finds terms such as “civil proceeding,” “original proceeding,” and “criminal proceeding.” [ 25 ] I do not agree with the defendants that the term “proceeding” must be restrictively interpreted to mean only an action or an application or some other originating process.
There are clear instances in the Judicature Act where the term “proceeding” must be interpreted broadly. [ 26 ] For example, in the Act , “plaintiff” is defined to include “every person asking relief, otherwise than by way of counterclaim as a defendant, against any other person by any form of proceeding , whether the same is taken by suit, petition, motion , summons or otherwise” (emphasis added).
The term “cause” includes “an action or other original proceeding,” clearly referring to originating processes, but the term “‘matter’ includes every proceeding in the Court not in a cause.” Obviously, the term “proceeding” in those instances, except where qualified by an adjective, is meant to have a broad meaning. [ 27 ] Also, according to the Act , judges from the trial division of the Court of Queen’s Bench may “from time to time … hear and determine proceedings” brought in the Family Division and vice versa: ss. 2(4.2) and 11(2).
Surely no one would argue that a judge of one division may not from time to time be required to hear and determine motions in the other division and that their jurisdiction is only to hear the action or the application itself. Similarly, according to s. 2(4.3), the Chief Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench “may hear and determine proceedings” in either of the two divisions. Clearly, this also means that the Chief Justice can hear and determine motions. [ 28 ] There are other examples.
Section 7(2) of the Act refers to “[e]very action or proceeding” and to “all proceedings in an action,” which can only lead one to consider the term “proceeding” in its broadest sense. Section 48(1) provides that, when any money is “during the pendency of any suit or proceeding in the Court,” ordered to be paid into Court, certain steps must be taken.
Surely, this includes payments into court as ordered in a decision resulting from a motion, such as orders for security for costs or by way of interpleader. [ 29 ] In my view, a contextual approach must be taken in interpreting the term “proceeding” in the Judicature Act , and there is no principled reason why, when the context requires, it should not receive a broad definition to include steps taken in the course of an action or an application. [ 30 ] Regarding a judgment, order or decision issued or made in the Court of Queen’s Bench, it is clear to me that, when read in conjunction with the definition of “party,” what s. 8(3) is meant to achieve is to provide recourse to the Court of Appeal to the following: (1) the parties named in the record; and (2) those not named in the record, but who, because the relief sought may affect them, are either served with notice or make a formal appearance at the hearing that resulted in the judgment, order or decision sought to be appealed.
I say make a formal appearance because, in the French version of the Act , reference is made to “ un avis de comparution ” and to “comparaît,” which have a more formal meaning than simply being in attendance at a proceeding. As Robertson J.A. pointed out in United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 1386 v. Bransen Construction Ltd. , 2002 NBCA 27 , 249 N.B.R. (2d) 93 , a literal reading of the English version of the definition of “party” would make no sense as it “would mean that anyone sitting at the back of a court room qualifies as a party under the statutory definition” (para. 11).
However, if one refers to the French version, which has equal force, and if one interprets “comparaît” as meaning making a formal appearance at the proceeding, the absurdity of a literal reading of the English version disappears. I do not necessarily limit the term “comparaît” to instances where one appears by counsel to make a point.
In some instances, a “comparution” could take another form, such as a non-party who is examined for discovery or one who is called to testify as a witness. [ 31 ] The defendants to the action point to s. 1.1 of the Judicature Act , which provides that “[w]here a conflict exists between the terms used or procedures prescribed in this Act and those used or prescribed in the Rules of Court , this Act shall be construed to be consistent with the Rules of Court .” They argue the term “proceeding” in the Act should take the same restrictive meaning as it generally has in the Rules .
In my view, this argument has no merit because there is no conflict between the restrictive meaning the term generally has in the Rules and its broader
interpretation in the context of construing the term “party” for the purposes of s. 8(3) of the Act . Subject to the limitations enumerated in s. 8(3.1), s. 8(3) confers jurisdiction to the Court of Appeal; it does not set out the procedure by which the Court’s power may be exercised. [ 32 ] Several situations come to mind where a non-party to an underlying proceeding such as an
action or an application may want to appeal an order or decision made in the course of that proceeding, such as on motion, that affectshim or her. The following are examples: a. A non-party may be ordered to produce for inspection documents in her or his possession or control: Rule 31.11. This was thesituation in M.(A.) v. Ryan, (SCC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 157, [1997] S.C.J. No. 13 (QL), in which a master ordered apsychiatrist to release her notes regarding a patient over the psychiatrist’s objections these were privileged. The psychiatrist appealedfirst to the Supreme Court ([1993] B.C.J.
No 1415 (QL) and then to the Court of Appeal (BC CA), [1994] B.C.J. No.2313 (QL); b. A court may grant leave for a non-party to be examined for discovery and may order the non-party to answer certain questionsnotwithstanding his or her objections; c. A non-party may unsuccessfully seek to have a summons or a notice to attend set aside; d. A witness may object to answering certain questions on grounds of privilege or for some other valid objection.
Take for example apolice officer summoned to testify as a non-party in a civil matter who invokes informer privilege, or certain privileges invoked by theCrown in opposing certain questions being asked of a Crown servant. [33] A concrete example is found in Kent v. Kent, 2010 NLCA 53, [2010] N.J. No. 287 (QL), inwhich a witness sought to have set aside a subpoena duces tecum. Having been unsuccessful, the witness appealed the decision. Writingfor the Court, Green C.J.N.L. and Cameron J.A. determined that the witness had a right to appeal the decision.
They explained that thedecision under appeal was not interlocutory because it was a final disposition of the issue between the witness and the party wanting tocall the witness. Had the subpoena been set aside, however, an appeal by the party wishing to call the witness would have beeninterlocutory in nature.
This is easy to understand when one considers that, for the witness who is unsuccessful in having the subpoenaset aside, there will be no further opportunity to appeal, whereas the party whose subpoena is set aside may either seek leave to appealimmediately or may appeal as of right once the action or application is finally determined. Green C.J.N.L. and Cameron J.A. explain: Counsel for Ms.
Kent submits that, as a matter of policy, orders of the type under consideration here ought to be required to meet a leavetest (and hence be regarded as interlocutory) because otherwise, every order made mid-trial against a witness would be appealable as ofright, thereby bogging down and delaying the litigation to which the subpoena relates. We are not convinced that the problem is of the magnitude suggested. While one of the policies behind the leave requirement is toensure the smooth running of a trial to its completion without unnecessary interruption, there are other policies in play as well.
In anyevent, the policy against trial interruption is applied primarily in the context of applications involving parties to the proceeding. In thevast majority of procedural or evidentiary issues arising between the parties, the resulting rulings or orders will be regarded asinterlocutory and thereby require leave to appeal. In most of those cases as well, the issue can form a ground of appeal, along with anyother issues, at the end of the trial if the final result is challenged.
Where, however, the person appealing is a non-party, it will be too late to challenge the correctness of a disclosure order if theinformation has already been produced. As well, not all such orders affecting non-parties will necessarily be regarded as final. If, forexample, the order in this case had in fact refused production, say, on the basis of prematurity, leaving the potential for the witness to besubpoenaed at a later time, the order might well be regarded as interlocutory because it did not finally dispose of the issue between thesubpoenaing party and the witness. See, Smerchanski v.
Lewis (1980), (ON CA), 117 D.L.R. (3d) 716 (Ont. C.A.), perArnup J.A., pp. 720-721. [paras. 29-31] [34] In my view, s. 8(3) of the Judicature Act, together with the definition of “party” in the Act, ismeant to allow non-parties in situations such as those described above to be able to appeal decisions that finally dispose of the issue forwhich they have been served with notice or regarding which they have formally attended in court. Otherwise, non-parties against whomserious and perhaps even devastating orders have been made would be left without recourse.
This is clearly not what was intended by theJudicature Act. When a matter finally disposes of the issue between a party and a non-party, such that the non-party will not have anyfurther opportunity to appeal, the Judicature Act gives the non-party a right of appeal. On the other hand, where a decision is rendered infavour of a non-party and does not end the underlying proceeding, the decision is interlocutory in nature and leave will have to first beobtained under Rule 62.03 for an immediate appeal, or the matter can later be appealed when the action or application is ultimatelyresolved: see Rule 62.21(6).
In cases involving the removal of a law firm as solicitors of record, while the decision is final with respect tothe non-party, it does not put an end to the litigation between the parties to the action or application and, as a result, any party to theaction would require leave to appeal such an interlocutory order: Canadian Broadcasting Corp. v. New Brunswick Broadcasting Co.(2000), (NB CA), 230 N.B.R. (2d) 332, [2000] N.B.J. No. 450 (QL), Sogelco International Inc. v. Pêcheries CapLumière Fisheries Inc. (2004), (NB CA), 284 N.B.R. (2d) 276, [2004] N.B.J.
No. 464 (QL) and Trifidus Inc. v.Samgo Innovations Inc., 2012 NBCA 31, 386 N.B.R. (2d) 230.
[ 35 ] The one remaining question is whether there are any principled reasons why this general rule might not apply to lawyers who have been removed as counsel of record. The defendants claim there are. I disagree. [ 36 ] Though not numerous, there are cases in which law firms have appealed a decision removing their firm as counsel of record. In Wallace v. Canadian National Railway , 2011 SKCA 108 , [2011] S.J.
No. 589 (QL) , Ottenbreit J.A., for the Court, expressly addressed the standing issue in a case in which McKercher LLP had been ordered removed as solicitors of record for Wallace. [ 37 ] McKercher represented CN in a number of matters when it accepted a retainer from Wallace to advance a class action against CN. CN brought a motion to have the firm removed as the solicitor of record for Wallace and was successful in obtaining the order sought. McKercher filed a notice of appeal naming itself as appellant.
CN filed a motion to quash the notice on the grounds the firm was not a party to the Wallace action and therefore had no standing to appeal the removal decision. Meanwhile, time for Wallace to appeal was extended and Wallace became an appellant in the proceedings. Nevertheless, the Court addressed the question of McKercher’s standing: The preliminary issue is whether McKercher lacks standing. In my view, the argument of CN cannot succeed on this point and McKercher has standing in its own right on this appeal.
McKercher argues that it was named as a respondent by CN in the application before the chamber judge, it filed material and it made oral argument on the matter which oral argument was recognized by the Court of Queen's Bench and all of that truly indicates it has standing. McKercher also notes that, in British Columbia, it appears to be a practice for counsel to be named in applications such as this and for the named law firms to respond in their own right.
Rules 38(1) and (2) of The Queen's Bench Rules state the following: 38(1) The court may, at any stage of the action, order any person who ought to have been joined as a party or whose presence as a party is necessary to enable the court to adjudicate effectively and completely on the issues in an action be added as a party.
(2) An action shall not be defeated by reason of the misjoinder or non-joinder of a person, and (
a) the court may decide issues or questions in dispute so far as they affect the rights and interests of the persons who are parties and pronounce judgment without prejudice to the rights of persons who are not parties, and (
b) at any stage the court may grant leave to add, delete or substitute a party, or to correct the name of a party and such leave shall be given, on such terms as may be just, unless prejudice will result which cannot be compensated for by costs or an adjournment. These rules apply mutatis mutandi to this Court and Queen's Bench Rule 38 would apply in this case. Although there was no express ruling made by the chamber judge designating McKercher as a party to the motion, McKercher was in fact a party. CN's motion was brought with McKercher as a respondent.
It was directed to McKercher and the intent of the motion is to bind McKercher as a party to any decision thereon. The motion clearly affects the rights and interests of not only Wallace, but also McKercher. McKercher is in fact subject to any ruling the Court makes. The chamber judge clearly treated McKercher as a party and it was implicit that McKercher was a party. For the purpose of the disqualification motion, McKercher undoubtedly has standing as a party in its own right to appeal the decision of the chamber judge.
It would not be fair and just to hold otherwise. [paras. 39-41] [ 38 ] In Wallace , the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal allowed the appeal and ruled McKercher should not have been disqualified. On further appeal, the Supreme Court overturned that decision, but the question of standing was not addressed in the Supreme Court where McKercher participated as a responding party: Canadian National Railway Co. v. McKercher LLP , 2013 SCC 39 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 649 . [ 39 ] The practice in British Columbia to which Ottenbreit J.A. referred is exemplified in Coutu v. Jorgensen , 2004 BCCA 400 , [2004] B.C.J.
No. 1562 (QL) , in which a lawyer appealed an order removing him as counsel for the petitioners in a particular matter. That case was cited in Strother v. 3464920 Canada Inc. , 2007 SCC 24 , [2007] 2 S.C.R. 177 , on the
question of the importance of a party’s right to be represented by counsel of choice. [40] There is also precedent in Manitoba for a law firm to appeal a decision enjoining it to act againsta party. In Canadian Pacific Railway Co. v. Aikins, MacAulay & Thorvaldson, [1998] M.J. No. 77 (QL), a party to an application soughtby motion to enjoin a law firm from acting in the application. The party was successful, but the law firm appealed, and the decision wasoverturned. [41] Admittedly, there are dicta in Ontario that would support the defendants’ position. In Iversen v.Smith (1987), (ON SC), 58 O.R. (2d) 733 (Div.
Ct), [1987] O.J. No. 202 (QL), a party wanted to appeal a rulingrestraining her solicitors from continuing to represent her. A preliminary issue arose as to who had jurisdiction to hear such a matter andwhether the decision was interlocutory or final. The intended appellant argued it was final because if finally determined the issuesbetween the moving party and the law firm. In determining the decision was interlocutory in nature, Reid J. stated as follows: We have grave doubts whether a solicitor acting for a party in a law suit could properly be regarded as a party at all.
It is the essence ofthe solicitors’ position that he or she is not, and cannot be, a party to the suit. Should a solicitor become involved, the solicitor mustwithdraw. Gignac, Sutts are not parties to this suit. Their position is representative only and must remain so. No issue is raised in the suitinvolving them. Any decision made on the application to disqualify the defendants' solicitors will be irrelevant to the issues in litigation.
If they can have no status in the suit except as representative of a party or parties, we have difficulty in accepting that they can be partiesto any issue arising out of the suit. They can have no such independent party status as had the witness in Smerchanski. We are of the viewthat they do not fall within the ambit of Smerchanski.
Since an order disqualifying solicitors will not dispose of any claim raised in thesuit and nor can solicitors have independent status as parties, an order disqualifying them cannot be said to be final when measured bythe accepted tests. [p. 218] [42] The Ontario Court of Appeal followed this reasoning in Aptowitzer v. Ontario (1995), (ON CA), 26 O.R. (3d) 254, [1995] O.J. No. 3031 (QL). Faced with a motion to quash an appeal from an order dismissing amotion to remove counsel from a matter, the Court of Appeal held the decision sought to be appealed was interlocutory.
In doing so, theCourt expressly agreed with the reasoning of Reid J. in Iversen. [43] Noteworthy is the fact that, in the Ontario cases, it was not the law firm that was seeking toappeal. No Ontario authority standing for the proposition that a law firm could not appeal a decision removing it as counsel of record hasbeen brought to our attention. However, there certainly are instances recognizing a right to appeal for a non-party affected by an order ordecision: Guaranty Trust Co. of Canada v. Fleming et al., (ON CA), [1946] O.R. 817 (C.A.), [1946] O.J. No. 628 (QL)and Frederick et al. v. Aviation & General Ins.
Co. Ltd., (ON CA), [1966] 2 O.R. 356 (C.A.), [1966] O.J. No. 1064(QL), being examples, although more recently they have been called into question in cases such as Ambrose v. Zuppardi, 2013 ONCA768, [2013] O.J.
No. 5805 (QL). [44] Whatever may be the situation in Ontario and notwithstanding the dicta in Iversen, which iscertainly at odds with the statements in Wallace, the fact remains that, in New Brunswick, the Judicature Act, properly interpreted,provides that a non-party who has been served with a notice of motion or who makes a formal appearance at the hearing of the motion, isstatutorily authorized to seek appellate recourse against a decision that affects him or her.
In the present case, the Mockler firm wasserved with the removal motion, was represented by counsel, adduced evidence and made arguments before the Court. There is noprincipled reason why, in these circumstances, the firm would not have standing to appeal an order removing it as counsel of record. Theremoval motion also sought solicitor and client costs payable by the Mockler firm. Surely no one would argue that, had the judgeordered the payment of such, the Mockler firm would be left without standing to challenge the decision. [45] It has been argued that an
interpretation of the term “party” in s. 8(3) of the Judicature Act,which would give standing for the Mockler firm to appeal the removal decision, would lead to an anomaly, in that the right of the lawfirm would be greater than the right of Mr. Levesque. This, because the law firm would have a right to appeal while their client wouldhave to seek leave to appeal. To some extent, this argument also applies to other instances of non-parties appealing a decision on motionaffecting them.
For example, had the psychiatrist in Ryan not appealed the decision ordering her to produce her notes, the party to theaction not wishing the notes produced would have had to seek leave to appeal the decision. Had the witness in Kent who received asubpoena duces tecum not appealed the judge’s refusal to quash the subpoena, and left it to the responding party to do so, leave wouldhave been required. The fact is that, for the non-party, the decision on motion is a final resolution of the issue between him or her and theparty to the action who seeks an order affecting the non-party.
For the parties to the action, the decision is not a final disposition of theissues between them. For the non-party, there is no other recourse than to appeal the decision that affects it. For the parties to the action,
there is always the right to appeal following the final decision in the action. [ 46 ] Cases in which a law firm is removed as counsel of record are not abundant; fewer still will be those where the law firm itself will appeal the removal decision.
A law firm considering an appeal from a removal decision will consider the standard of review and assess whether, on its application, the removal decision can withstand appellate scrutiny; the law firm will also consider the matter of costs, which, in some instances, could be significant especially if the Court of Appeal were to find the appeal wholly devoid of merit; and the law firm will recognize the appeal will be moot if its client moves on and obtains new counsel for the main proceeding. [ 47 ] In sum, the Judicature Act gives recourse to the Court of Appeal to all who are affected by a decision in the Court of Queen’s Bench and who are either named parties to an action or application, or non-named parties who have been served with notice of the proceeding that led to the decision, whether an originating process or a notice of motion, or non-named parties who made a formal appearance at a hearing to argue against the order or decision.
IV. Disposition [ 48 ] The above is why, on January 28, 2019, upon concluding that the Mockler firm has standing to appeal the decision ordering them removed as counsel of record for Mr. Levesque, we allowed the firm’s motion and extended the time for it to issue and serve a notice of appeal to February 8, 2019. At the time we stated reasons for our decision would follow. The foregoing are my reasons.
I would conclude by ordering costs in favour of the Mockler firm, payable in three sets of $700 each in the following manner: one set to be paid by the Province of New Brunswick and the New Brunswick Investment Management Corporation; one to be paid by the New Brunswick Union of Public and Private Employees and New Brunswick Nurses Union and Local 37 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers; and one to be paid by Marilyn Quinn, Susie Proulx-Daigle, Ross Galbraith, Leonard Lee-White, Ernest L. MacKinnon and Mark Gaudet. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE RICHARD, J.C.N.-B.
I. Introduction [1] Les cours d’appel sont des créations de la loi et leur compétence est établie par la loi qui les crée. Au Nouveau-Brunswick, la loi prévoit qu’une
partie dans une affaire civile peut interjeter appel devant la Cour d’appel de tout jugement, de toute ordonnance ou de toute décision rendu en la Cour du Banc de la Reine, sauf dans certains cas où la
partie doit obtenir au préalable l’autorisation d’appel :
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2, par. 8(3).
La définition du terme anglais « party » est depuis longtemps établie et comprend « every person served with notice of or attending any proceeding , although not named in the record » :
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, art. 1 (je souligne). Dans la version française, qui a force égale, le terme «
partie » comprend « toute personne qui reçoit signification d’un avis de comparution ou qui comparaît à une procédure , quoique son nom ne figure pas au dossier »,
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, art. 1 (je souligne). [2] Ce qui demeure incertain, c’est le sens du terme « procédure », terme qui n’est défini ni dans la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire ni dans les Règles de procédure . Il y a deux interprétations possibles : (1) le terme est interprété au sens général et inclut toutes les étapes d’une affaire devant les tribunaux; (2) le terme est interprété de manière restrictive pour s’entendre soit d’une action, soit d’une requête, mais non des étapes distinctes des procédures susmentionnées, comme une motion.
[3] Les Règles de procédure tiennent compte du fait que, dans certains cas, une personne pourraitêtre touchée par une ordonnance sollicitée dans une affaire où la personne n’est pas
partie nommément désignée. La règle 37.04 prévoitque, lorsqu’une personne serait concernée par une ordonnance sollicitée par voie de motion, l’avis de motion et les affidavits à l’appui decelui-ci doivent être signifiés à cette personne, à moins d’ordonnance contraire de la cour. La question en litige en l’espèce est de savoirsi la personne touchée, ayant reçu signification de l’avis de motion et ayant comparu officiellement en cour pour faire connaître saposition à l’égard de la motion, a qualité de «
partie » au sens de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, ce qui lui permettrait d’interjeterappel de la décision qui a une incidence sur elle.
Si l’on donne un sens large au terme « procédure », la personne aurait le droitd’interjeter appel ou de solliciter l’autorisation de le faire, le cas échéant; à l’inverse, si le terme est interprété de manière restrictive, lapersonne n’aurait pas pareil droit parce qu’elle n’aurait pas reçu signification de l’acte introductif d’instance, plus précisément l’avis depoursuite ou l’avis de requête, ou elle n’aurait pas comparu officiellement à l’instruction de l’action ou à l’audition de la requête, selon lecas.
Si l’interprétation restrictive est adoptée, la personne touchée par l’ordonnance rendue dans le cadre de la motion serait alors sansrecours, à moins qu’elle ne soit ajoutée comme intervenante dans l’action ou la requête. [4] À mon avis, le terme « procédure », dans la définition du terme «
partie » figurant à l’art. 1 dela
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, doit être interprété de manière à inclure une personne qui, sans être une
partie nommément désignéedans une action ou une requête, reçoit signification d’un avis de motion ou comparaît officiellement à l’audition de la motion, parce quel’ordonnance sollicitée est susceptible d’avoir une incidence sur elle. Autrement, une personne touchée par une ordonnance rendue dansle cadre d’une motion n’aurait aucun recours en appel. II. Contexte [5] Dans la présente affaire, Eugene J. Mockler, c.r., et E.J.
Mockler, Professional Corporation(ensemble le « bureau d’avocats Mockler ») ont reçu signification d’un avis de motion dans lequel les auteures de la motion sollicitaientcomme réparation la radiation du nom du bureau d’avocats Mockler du dossier d’une action en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier, ainsique le paiement par ce bureau des dépens calculés sur la base des frais entre avocat et client. Le bureau d’avocats Mockler a comparu àl’audition de la motion, il était représenté par un avocat, il a présenté une preuve et il a contesté la mesure réparatoire sollicitée dansl’avis de motion.
Même si la Cour n’a pas condamné le bureau d’avocats aux dépens calculés sur la base sollicitée, elle a ordonné laradiation en qualité d’avocat commis au dossier. Le bureau d’avocats souhaite interjeter appel de cette décision. Trois solutions possiblessont proposées pour lui conférer la qualité requise pour interjeter appel :
a) Le bureau d’avocats Mockler est ajouté comme intervenant en vertu de la règle 15 des Règles de procédure afin de pouvoirinterjeter appel ou solliciter l’autorisation d’appel.
b) Le bureau d’avocats Mockler obtient l’autorisation d’appel à
titre de personne non
partie à l’action en vertu de lacompétence inhérente à la Cour d’accorder cette autorisation, compétence qui a été reconnue dans l’arrêt Société des Acadiens c. Association of Parents, (SCC), [1986] 1 R.C.S. 549, [1986] A.C.S. no 26 (QL).
c) Le bureau d’avocats Mockler est une
partie au sens que la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire donne à ce terme et il a, en cettequalité, le droit d’interjeter appel et de solliciter l’autorisation d’appel. [6] Le contexte factuel de la présente affaire est simple. [7] Au moment de sa retraite, Guy Levesque, ancien employé de la Province duNouveau-Brunswick, est devenu admissible à une pension calculée selon un régime de pension à prestations déterminées établi par la Loisur la pension de retraite dans les services publics, L.R.N.-B.1973, ch. P-26. En 2013, la Province a adopté la Loi concernant la pensionde retraite au
titre de la
Loi sur la pension de retraite dans les services publics, L.N.-B. 2013, ch. 44, qui a eu pour effet de convertir le régime de pension établi par la
Loi sur la pension de retraite dans les services publics en régime à risques partagés. Le 1er janvier 2014,les fonds régis par l’ancien régime ont été transférés à un nouveau conseil de fiduciaires. En son nom et au nom d’autres pensionnés,M. Levesque a intenté une action en contestation du transfert des fonds. À cette fin, il a retenu les services du bureau d’avocats Mockler. [8] Au cours du déroulement de l’action, on a appris qu’un avocat, qui était membre du conseild’administration de la Société de gestion des placements du Nouveau-Brunswick (une des parties défenderesses), et lui-même unpensionné, fournissait de l’aide au bureau d’avocats Mockler sur certains aspects du litige.
[9] Deux des parties défenderesses, la Société de gestion des placements du Nouveau-Brunswick et la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, ont présenté une motion à la Cour du Banc de la Reine afin d’obtenir une ordonnance radiant le nom du bureau d’avocats Mockler en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier de M. Levesque. Elles sollicitaient aussi d’autres mesures réparatoires, notamment que le bureau d’avocats Mockler soit condamné aux dépens calculés sur la base des frais entre avocat et client.
Comme ils pouvaient être lésés par l’ordonnance sollicitée, le bureau d’avocats Mockler et l’avocat qui avait apporté son aide au bureau d’avocats Mockler ont tous deux reçu signification de l’avis de motion. Manifestement, d’autres parties au litige ont aussi reçu signification de l’avis de motion. [10] À la suite d’audiences qui se sont échelonnées sur plusieurs jours, un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rendu l’ordonnance sollicitée, ainsi que certaines ordonnances accessoires : 2017 NBBR 180 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 238 (QL) .
Dans une ordonnance distincte en date du 27 novembre 2017, le juge saisi de la motion a condamné M. Levesque, et non le bureau d’avocats Mockler, aux dépens. [11] Le bureau d’avocats Mockler veut interjeter appel de la décision du juge qui a statué sur la motion. M. Levesque n’a pas sollicité l’autorisation d’interjeter appel même s’il adhère à la thèse du bureau d’avocats Mockler selon laquelle le juge a commis une erreur. M. Levesque soutient qu’il veut être représenté par le bureau d’avocats Mockler dans l’action qu’il a intentée aux défendeurs.
Le bureau d’avocats Mockler sollicite l’autorisation d’interjeter appel ou, subsidiairement, pour le cas où l’autorisation ne serait pas nécessaire, il demande une prolongation du délai prescrit pour interjeter appel. Dans le cadre de sa motion, le bureau d’avocats Mockler demande que M. Mockler et la société professionnelle de celui-ci soient, au besoin, ajoutés comme parties à l’action. III. Analyse [12] Ainsi qu’il est indiqué ci-dessus, trois solutions possibles ont été proposées pour permettre au bureau d’avocats Mockler d’interjeter appel de la décision rendue par le juge saisi de la motion.
Les défendeurs dans l’action principale s’opposent tous à ce que le bureau d’avocats Mockler obtienne qualité pour interjeter appel ou pour solliciter l’autorisation d’appel. Selon eux, seules les parties à une action peuvent avoir qualité pour interjeter appel ou pour solliciter l’autorisation d’appeler, le cas échéant, de quelque décision que ce soit qui serait rendue au cours du déroulement de l’action.
Qui plus est, ils prétendent que le bureau d’avocats Mockler ne répond pas aux exigences de la règle 15 des Règles de procédure pour être ajouté comme intervenant, et qu’il ne remplit pas non plus les critères établis dans l’arrêt Société des Acadiens pour être autorisé, en vertu de la compétence inhérente à la cour, à interjeter appel en qualité de personne non
partie à l’action. A. Le droit d’intervenir prévu par la règle 15 ne s’applique pas [13] S’agissant de la possibilité d’intervenir prévue par la règle 15, les défendeurs reconnaissent que la règle 15.02 autorise une personne qui n’est pas
partie à une instance à demander la permission d’intervenir si cette personne :
a) prétend avoir un intérêt dans le litige;
b) risque d’être lésée par le jugement éventuel; ou
c) a en commun avec une ou plusieurs des parties à l’instance une question de droit ou de fait qui coїncide avec une question en litige dans l’instance. Les défendeurs prétendent que le bureau d’avocats Mockler ne satisfait pas à ces critères, parce qu’il est clair dans les Règles de procédure que le terme « instance » s’entend d’une action ou d’une requête.
En règle générale, je suis d’avis que le terme « instance », ainsi qu’il est employé dans les Règles, se rapporte à une action ou à une requête; toutefois, je ne me prononce pas sur la question de savoir s’il peut exister des cas où le contexte pourrait justifier une interprétation plus large. [14] Les Règles de procédure contiennent de nombreux indices qui portent à conclure que, de façon générale, le terme « instance » s’entend d’une action ou d’une requête. À
titre d’exemple, à la règle 1.04, le terme « acte introductif d’instance » est défini comme tout document par lequel une instance est introduite sous le régime des Règles, notamment un avis de poursuite et un avis de requête (quoiqu’il puisse s’agir aussi d’une demande reconventionnelle contre une
partie ajoutée par reconvention, d’une mise en cause, d’une requête en divorce, etc.), mais la définition exclut expressément un avis de motion. Le terme « action » est défini comme : « une instance introduite par émission d’un avis de poursuite » et le terme « requête », comme « une instance introduite par émission d’un avis de requête ». Le terme « motion », par contre, n’est pas défini comme une instance. La règle 1.07, qui établit les dispositions transitoires régissant le passage des anciennes Règles aux Règles actuelles, crée une nette distinction entre une instance et une étape de l’instance.
La règle régissant la procédure des motions établit elle aussi une nette distinction entre une motion et l’instance dans laquelle elle est présentée. La règle 37.02 prévoit qu’une motion est présentée dans la circonscription judiciaire « dans laquelle l’instance a été ou sera introduite ou […] ». Manifestement, l’« instance » se rapporte à l’action ou à la requête. De nombreux autres exemples mènent à conclure que, dans les Règles de procédure, le terme « instance » s’entend généralement d’une action ou d’une requête, mais non des étapes pouvant marquer une instance, comme la présentation d’une motion.
Même la règle 37.04, en application de laquelle le bureau d’avocats Mockler a reçu signification de l’avis de motion, porte à cette conclusion. Elle prévoit ce qui suit : « À moins d’ordonnance contraire, l’avis de motion […] doi[t] être signifi[é] à toutes les parties à l’instance et à toute personne qui serait concernée par l’ordonnance. » Il va sans dire que la motion n’est pas l’instance à laquelle réfère la règle.
[15] Pour revenir à la règle 15, une personne peut demander la permission d’intervenir comme
partie additionnelle si elle prétend avoir un intérêt dans le litige, si elle prétend qu’elle risque d’être lésée par le jugement éventuel, ou si elle prétend qu’il existe entre elle et une ou plusieurs des parties une question de droit ou de fait coїncidant avec une question en litige dans l’instance. En l’espèce, le bureau d’avocats Mockler n’a aucun intérêt dans le litige qui oppose M.
Levesque aux défendeurs dans l’action qu’il a intentée à ces derniers; le bureau d’avocats ne sera pas lésé par le jugement qui sera rendu dans l’affaire; et il n’existe pas, entre le bureau d’avocats et une ou plusieurs des parties, de question de droit coїncidant avec une question en litige dans l’action. Par conséquent, il n’y a aucune justification à ce que le bureau d’avocats Mockler soit ajouté comme intervenant en vertu de la règle 15. B. Les critères établis dans l’arrêt Société des Acadiens ne sont pas remplis. [16] S’agissant de l’autorisation d’appel accordée à une personne qui n’est pas
partie à l’action en vertu de la compétence inhérente reconnue à la cour dans l’arrêt Société des Acadiens , les défendeurs admettent qu’il s’agit là d’un moyen possible par lequel le bureau d’avocats Mockler pourrait interjeter appel, mais ils soutiennent que le bureau d’avocats ne remplit pas les critères établis dans cet arrêt. [17] Dans Société des Acadiens , même si trois ensembles de motifs ont été rendus, la Cour suprême a jugé à l’unanimité que la Cour d’appel du Nouveau-Brunswick a la compétence inhérente d’accorder l’autorisation d’appel d’une décision à une personne qui n’est pas
partie à l’action. La Cour suprême s’est exprimée en ces termes : « Pour décider de l’opportunité de donner l’autorisation, le critère appliqué était celui de savoir si le requérant aurait pu être
partie à l’action, même s’il n’était pas nécessaire qu’il soit constitué
partie » (p. 594). À cet égard, la juge Wilson a dit que « plusieurs facteurs […] influent sur l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire d’une cour saisie d’une demande de ce genre » (p. 594). Elle a ajouté ce qui suit : Un appelant doit pouvoir prouver, par exemple,
a) que ses intérêts n’ont pas été représentés au cours de l’instance,
b) qu’il a un intérêt sur lequel la décision aura un effet préjudiciable,
c) qu’il est lié par l’ordonnance ou est susceptible de l’être,
d) que la preuve qu’il présente est raisonnablement soutenable et
e) qu’il serait dans l’intérêt de la justice d’accorder l’autorisation, en ce sens cela permettrait d’éviter des procédures multiples. [p. 594] [18] Les défendeurs dans l’action soutiennent que ces facteurs sont inexistants en l’espèce. Ils font remarquer que, à la différence des circonstances existantes dans Société des Acadiens , en l’espèce, les intérêts du bureau d’avocats Mockler ont été représentés par un avocat devant le juge saisi de la motion.
Je suis d’avis que l’arrêt Société des Acadiens vise généralement les situations où une personne qui n’était pas engagée dans un litige se trouve à subir les effets de toute ordonnance qui en résulte. Ce n’est pas le cas dans la présente affaire pour ce qui a trait à la motion visant la radiation du nom du bureau d’avocats Mockler en tant qu’avocat commis au dossier, puisque le bureau d’avocats Mockler a participé à la motion, ayant reçu signification de l’avis et ayant pris part à l’audience sur la motion. C. Le droit d’appel prévu au par. 8(3) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire [19] Compte tenu de ce qui précède, le seul moyen qui s’ouvre au bureau d’avocats Mockler pour contester la décision rendue par le juge qui a statué sur la motion est le droit d’appel prévu au par. 8(3) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, si ce droit lui est conféré. À mon avis, il a ce droit. [20] Je le répète, l’ al. 8(3)
a) donne le droit à « une
partie » d’interjeter appel devant la Cour d’appel de tout jugement, de toute ordonnance ou de toute décision rendu en la Cour du Banc de la Reine, sauf lorsqu’il s’agit d’une ordonnance ou d’une décision interlocutoire, d’une ordonnance ou d’une décision relative uniquement aux frais, ou d’une ordonnance sur consentement des parties, auxquels cas la
partie doit obtenir d’un juge de la Cour d’appel l’autorisation d’interjeter appel. Le terme «
partie » est défini à l’art. 1 de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire : “party” includes every person served with notice of or attending any proceeding, although not named in the record; «
partie » comprend toute personne qui reçoit signification d’un avis de comparution ou qui comparaît à une procédure, quoique son nom ne figure pas au dossier;
[21]
La définition actuelle de ce terme dans la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, depuis la première fois où cette loi a été adoptée, sous le
titre Judicature Act, 1906, S.N.B. 1906, ch. 37 , qui a reçu la sanction royale sans toutefois être proclamée, puis a été reprise dans la Judicature Act, 1909, S.N.B. 1909, ch. 5 , qui est entrée en vigueur le 1 er mai 1910. [22] Le terme « procédure », toutefois, n’est pas défini, si ce n’est dans la
partie de la Loi qui porte sur la Division de la famille et où il est indiqué que, pour l’application des articles 11 à 11.6, le terme « comprend toute action, cause, question, pétition ou demande ». [23] Selon les défendeurs, le terme «
partie », ainsi qu’il est employé au par. 8(3) , désigne uniquement les personnes nommées dans l’intitulé de cause d’un acte introductif d’instance. Ils soulignent que la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire ne fait pas un emploi cohérent du terme «
partie ». Le terme est souvent accompagné d’autres termes qui le qualifient, par exemple, « parties à la procédure », « parties à la procédure [civile] », « parties au litige », «
partie à la même cause ou question », « parties intéressées » et «
partie intéressée ». Qui plus est, le terme « procédure » est, lui aussi, souvent accompagné d’un qualificatif. La Loi contient les termes « procédure civile », « procédure introductive d’instance » et « procédure criminelle ». [24] Je ne partage pas l’avis des défendeurs selon lequel le terme « procédure » doit être interprété de manière restrictive pour s’entendre uniquement d’une action ou d’une requête ou d’un autre acte introductif d’instance. Il y a des cas nets, dans la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, où le terme « procédure » doit avoir une interprétation large. [25] À
titre d’exemple, dans la Loi, le terme « demandeur » est défini comme comprenant « toute personne qui demande un redressement contre une personne autrement que par voie d’une demande reconventionnelle en qualité de défendeur, que ce soit par procès, pétition, requête , assignation ou autrement » (je souligne). Le terme « cause » comprend « une action […] ou toute autre procédure introductive d’instance », ce qui désigne manifestement les actes introductifs d’instances, mais le terme « question » s’entend notamment de « toute procédure dont la Cour est saisie, en dehors d’une cause ».
Il est évident que dans les cas susmentionnés, le terme « procédure », sauf lorsqu’il est assorti d’un qualificatif, doit avoir un sens large. [26] En outre, selon la Loi , les juges de la Division de première instance de la Cour du Banc de la Reine peuvent « à l’occasion […] entendre et […] disposer de procédures » portées devant la Division de la famille, et vice versa : par. 2(4.2) et 11(2).
Personne ne prétendrait, assurément, qu’un juge d’une division ne peut, à l’occasion, être appelé à entendre et à juger des motions présentées dans l’autre division et qu’il n’a compétence que pour entendre l’action ou la requête même. Pareillement, en vertu du par. 2(4.3), le juge en chef de la Cour du Banc de la Reine « peut entendre et décider des procédures » engagées dans l’une ou l’autre des deux divisions. Il va sans dire que cette disposition habilite le juge en chef à entendre et à juger des motions. [27] Il y a d’autres exemples.
Le paragraphe 7(2) de la Loi emploie les termes « [t]outes les actions et procédures » et « toutes les procédures relatives à une action », ce qui forcément amène le lecteur à interpréter le terme « procédure » dans son sens le plus large. Le paragraphe 48(1) prévoit que, lorsqu’il est ordonné, « au cours d’une instance ou procédure pendante devant la Cour », de consigner au greffe de la Cour une somme d’argent, certaines étapes doivent être suivies.
Il est incontestable que cela inclut les sommes consignées en cour en application d’une décision rendue par suite d’une motion, comme les ordonnances imposant une sûreté en garantie des dépens, ou par suite d’une entreplaiderie. [28] À mon avis, il faut interpréter le terme « procédure » selon le contexte dans lequel il est employé dans la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, et il n’y a aucune raison de principe pour laquelle, lorsque le contexte l’exige, ce terme ne devrait pas être défini de façon assez large pour englober les diverses étapes franchies dans une action ou une requête. [29] S’agissant d’un jugement, d’une ordonnance ou d’une décision rendu par la Cour du Banc de la Reine, il est clair à mon sens, si j’interprète le par. 8(3) à la lumière de la définition du mot «
partie », que cette disposition vise à prévoir un recours devant la Cour d’appel pour les personnes suivantes : (1) les parties dont le nom figure au dossier; et (2) les personnes dont le nom ne figure pas au dossier, mais qui, du fait que la réparation sollicitée est susceptible d’avoir une incidence sur elles, soit reçoivent signification d’un avis de comparution, soit comparaissent officiellement à l’instance qui a donné le jugement, l’ordonnance ou la décision dont on sollicite l’appel.
J’emploie le terme « officiellement » parce que la version française de la Loi emploie les termes « un avis de comparution » et « comparaît », qui ont une connotation plus officielle que le simple fait d’être présent ou d’assister à une instance ou procédure. Comme l’a souligné le juge d’appel Robertson dans l’arrêt United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 1386 c. Bransen Construction Ltd. et al. , 2002 NBCA 27 249 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 93 , une interprétation littérale de la version anglaise de la définition du mot «
partie » n’aurait aucun sens puisqu’elle « signifierait que quiconque prend siège à l’arrière d’une salle d’audience peut être considéré comme une
partie selon la définition donnée dans la loi » (par. 11). Cela dit, si l’on examine la version française, qui a force égale, et si l’on interprète le terme « comparaît » au sens de comparaître officiellement à l’instance, le résultat absurde que produirait une interprétation littérale de la version anglaise disparaît. Je ne limite pas nécessairement l’application du terme « comparaît » aux instances où une personne comparaît par l’entremise d’un avocat pour faire valoir un point de vue. Dans certains cas, il
peut s’agir d’une autre forme de « comparution », comme la comparution d’une personne qui n’est pas
partie à une action et qui estsoumise à un interrogatoire préalable ou qui est appelée à
titre de témoin à l’instance. [30] Les défendeurs dans l’action attirent l’attention sur l’art. 1.1 de la
Loi sur l’organisationjudiciaire, lequel prévoit ce qui suit : «
En cas de conflit entre les expressions utilisées ou les procédures prescrites dans la présente loi etcelles qui sont utilisées ou prescrites dans les Règles de procédure, la présente loi est interprétée conformément aux Règles deprocédure. » Ils font valoir que le terme anglais proceeding [«procédure » en français] employé dans la Loi devrait avoir le même sensrestreint que le terme anglais proceeding [« instance » en français] a de façon générale dans les Règles.
J’estime que cet argument estsans fondement, car il n’y a aucune contradiction entre le sens restreint que revêt généralement le terme dans les Règles et le sens pluslarge qu’il revêt dans le contexte de l’interprétation du terme «
partie » pour l’application du par. 8(3) de la Loi.
Sous réserve desexceptions énumérées au par. 8(3.1), le par. 8(3) confère à la Cour d’appel sa compétence; il n’établit pas la procédure selon laquelle laCour peut exercer le pouvoir qui lui est conféré. [31] On peut songer à plusieurs situations où une personne qui n’est pas
partie à une instancesous-jacente, comme une action ou une requête, pourrait vouloir interjeter appel d’une ordonnance ou d’une décision rendue, sur unemotion, par exemple, dans le cours de cette instance ou procédure et qui a une incidence sur elle. Voici des exemples de pareillessituations : a. Il est possible d’ordonner à une personne non
partie à une action de produire pour examen tout document en sa possession ou sousson contrôle : règle 31.11. C’est ce qui s’est passé dans l’affaire M.(A.) c. Ryan, (SCC), [1997] 1 R.C.S. 157, [1997] A.C.S. no 13 (QL), où un protonotaire a ordonné à une psychiatre de produire ses notes sur une patiente, malgré la revendication d’unprivilège par la psychiatre. La psychiatre a interjeté appel devant la Cour suprême de la Colombie-Britannique ([1993] B.C.J. No. 1415(QL)), puis devant la Cour d’appel ( (BC CA), [1994] B.C.J. No. 2313 (QL)). b. Une cour peut autoriser l’interrogatoire préalable d’une personne non
partie à l’action et peut ordonner à cette personne derépondre à certaines questions, même si elle s’y oppose. c. Une personne non
partie à une action pourrait ne pas avoir gain de cause dans sa demande d’annulation d’une assignation ou d’unavis de comparution. d. Un témoin pourrait s’opposer à l’obligation de répondre à des questions en invoquant le secret professionnel ou d’autres moyensvalables. Prenons l’exemple du privilège de l’indicateur qui serait invoqué par un policier assigné comme témoin non
partie à l’actiondans une affaire civile, ou encore, l’exemple de certains privilèges de communication qui sont invoqués par le ministère public pours’opposer à ce que certaines questions puissent être posées à un fonctionnaire de l’État. [32] L’arrêt Carroll (Re); Kent c. Kent, 2010 NLCA 53, [2010] N.J. No. 287 (QL), nous fournit unexemple concret d’un témoin qui sollicitait l’annulation d’une assignation à produire. Le témoin n’a pas obtenu gain de cause et a doncinterjeté appel de la décision.
Le juge en chef Green, juge en chef de Terre-Neuve et Labrador, et le juge d’appel Cameron, qui rendaientjugement au nom de la Cour, ont conclu que le témoin avait le droit d’interjeter appel de la décision. Ils ont expliqué que la décisionportée en appel n’était pas interlocutoire parce qu’elle constituait un règlement définitif de la question opposant le témoin et la
partie quicherchait à l’appeler à témoigner. Si l’assignation avait été annulée, toutefois, un appel de la part de la
partie qui souhaitait appeler letémoin aurait été de nature interlocutoire. Cela est facile à comprendre si l’on tient compte du fait que, pour le témoin qui ne réussit pas àfaire annuler l’assignation, il n’y a plus possibilité d’interjeter appel, alors que la
partie dont l’assignation est annulée peut soit solliciterl’autorisation d’interjeter appel de la décision immédiatement, soit interjeter appel de plein droit une fois que l’action ou la requête auraété jugée en définitive.
Le juge en chef Green et le juge d’appel Cameron ont expliqué la situation de la façon suivante : [TRADUCTION] L’avocat de Mme Kent soutient que, par principe, il faudrait exiger que les ordonnances comme celles dont il s’agit en l’espèceremplissent le critère en matière d’autorisation (par conséquent, elles sont considérées interlocutoires), car autrement, toute ordonnancerendue à l’encontre d’un témoin au milieu d’un procès serait susceptible d’appel interjeté de plein droit, ce qui aurait pour effet d’enliseret de retarder le règlement du litige auquel se rapporte l’assignation.
Nous ne sommes pas convaincus qu’il s’agisse d’un problème de cette ampleur. Quoique l’un des principes sous-tendant l’obligationd’obtenir l’autorisation d’appel soit de veiller au déroulement régulier d’un procès sans interruption inutile, d’autres principes entrent enjeu également. Quoi qu’il en soit, le principe de non-interruption des procès s’applique principalement dans le contexte de requêtesvisant les parties à l’instance.
Dans la très grande majorité des questions de procédure ou de preuve qui opposent les parties, lesdécisions ou ordonnances qui sont rendues à leur égard seront considérées comme interlocutoires et comme nécessitant, par conséquent,l’autorisation d’appel. Dans la plupart de ces cas aussi, la question, ajoutée à toute autre question qui surgit, peut constituer un moyend’appel à la fin du procès si le résultat est contesté.
Toutefois, lorsque la personne qui interjette appel n’est pas une
partie à l’instance, il sera trop tard pour contester la justesse del’ordonnance de production une fois que les renseignements auront déjà été produits. Par ailleurs, ce ne sont pas toutes les ordonnancesayant une incidence sur des personnes non parties à l’instance qui seront nécessairement considérées comme des ordonnances définitives.Si, par exemple, l’ordonnance rendue en l’espèce avait en effet refusé la production pour le motif, disons, que la demande étaitprématurée, de sorte qu’il soit possible de signifier l’assignation à produire au témoin à une date ultérieure, l’ordonnance pourrait trèsbien être considérée comme interlocutoire parce qu’elle ne mettrait pas fin au litige entre la
partie à l’origine de l’assignation et letémoin. Voir Smerchanski c. Lewis (1980), (ON CA), 117 D.L.R. (3d) 716 (C.A. Ont.), le juge d’appel Arnup, auxp. 720 et 721. [par. 29 à 31] [33] À mon avis, le par. 8(3) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, conjugué à la définition duterme «
partie » donnée dans la Loi, a pour but de permettre à des personnes non parties à une action, dans des situations comme cellesdécrites ci-dessus, d’interjeter appel de décisions qui disposent de façon définitive de la question pour laquelle elles ont reçu significationd’un avis ou ont comparu officiellement en cour. Autrement, des personnes non parties à une action contre lesquelles ont été rendues desordonnances importantes, et peut-être même dévastatrices, n’auraient aucun recours. Ce n’est manifestement pas ce qui visait la
Loi surl’organisation judiciaire. Lorsqu’une instance met fin en définitive à une question opposant une
partie et une personne non
partie àl’affaire, et que la personne non
partie n’aura aucune autre possibilité d’interjeter appel, la