Kimberley Taylor First Applicant And: Canadian CIVIL Liberties Association Second Applicant And: Her Majesty in Right of Newfoundland v. Labrador, 2020 NLSC 125
Opinion
court crest IN THE SUPREME COURT OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR GENERAL DIVISION Citation : Taylor v. Newfoundland and Labrador , 2020 NLSC 125 Date : September 17, 2020 Docket : 202001G2342 Between: Kimberley Taylor First Applicant And: Canadian CIVIL Liberties Association Second Applicant And: Her Majesty in Right of Newfoundland and Labrador FIRST RESPONDENT And: Janice Fitzgerald SECOND Respondent Before: Justice Donald H. Burrage Place of Hearing: St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador Dates of Hearing: August 4, 5, 6, 7, 11 and 12, 2020
Summary:
On 4-5 May 2020, in an effort to curtail the spread of COVID-19, the Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH) for Newfoundland andLabrador issued two orders pursuant to s. 28(1)(
h) of the Public Health Protection and Promotion Act (the “PHPPA”) restricting thosepermitted to enter the province. On 8 May 2020, the CMOH denied Kimberley Taylor entry from Nova Scotia to attend her mother’sfuneral. Ms. Taylor challenges s. 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA as outside the legislative authority of the province, and the decision to refuse her entrypursuant to the travel restriction as contrary to her ss.6 and 7 Charter rights to mobility and liberty, respectively. The CCLA seeks to join with Ms. Taylor in her challenge and, in addition, to bring its own challenge to ss. 28.1 and 50(1) (theenforcement and investigative provisions) of the PHPPA. Held: The CCLA is granted public interest standing in support of Ms. Taylor. It is denied public interest standing to bring its ownchallenge to ss. 28.1 and 50(1) of the PHPPA, as the challenge is non-justiciable on the record before the Court. Section 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA is a valid law, as falling within the legislative competence of the province over matters of public health,under s. 92(16) (matters of a local and private nature) or, alternatively s. 92(13) (property and civil rights) of the Constitution Act, 1867. Ms. Taylor’s s. 6(1) Charter right to mobility was infringed, albeit fleetingly, when she was denied entry into the province. Ms. Taylor’ss. 7 right to liberty was not engaged. The infringement of Ms. Taylor’s right to mobility was demonstrably justified under s. 1 of the Charter in response to the COVID-19pandemic.
In the result, the application is dismissed. In light of the importance of the issues raised, each party is ordered to bear their own costs. Appearances: John F.E. Drover Appearing on behalf of the First Applicant Rosellen Sullivan Appearing on behalf of the Second Applicant Justin S. C. Mellor Appearing on behalf of the Respondents Donald E. Anthony, Q.C. Mark P. Sheppard Authorities Cited: CASES CONSIDERED: Downtown Eastside Sex Workers United Against Violence Society v. Canada (Attorney General), 2012 SCC45; Canadian Council of Churches v. R., (1992) (SCC), 1 S.C.R. 236; Shiell v. Amok (1987), 27 Admin.
L.R.1, (SK KB), 1987 CarswellSask 56 (Q.B.); Danson v. Ontario (Attorney General), (SCC), [1990] 2 S.C.R.1086; MacKay v. Manitoba, (SCC), [1989] 2 S.C.R. 357; Bedford v. Canada (Attorney General), 2013 SCC 72;Canadian Civil Liberties Association v. Canada (Attorney General), 2019 ONCA 243; R. v. Nur, 2015 SCC 15; Metropolitan Stores(MTS) Ltd. v. Manitoba Food & Commercial Workers, Local 832, (SCC), [1987] 1 S.C.R. 110; R. v. Edwards, (SCC), [1996] 1 S.C.R. 128; R. v. M. (M.R.), (SCC), [1998] 3 S.C.R. 393; R. v. Marakah, 2017 SCC 59; R.
v. Mann, 2004 SCC 52; R. v. Grant, 2009 SCC 32; Canadian Civil Liberties Assn. v. Canada (Attorney General), (ONCA), 1998 CarswellOnt 2808, 111 O.A.C. 51; Hy & Zel's Inc. v. Ontario (Attorney General), (SCC), [1993] 3 S.C.R.675; R. v. Blais, 2008 BCCA 389; Reference re Firearms Act (Canada), 2000 SCC 31; Ward v. Canada (Attorney General), 2002 SCC17; Kitkatla Band v. British Columbia (Minister of Small Business, Tourism & Culture), 2002 SCC 31; Quebec (Attorney General) v.Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 14; Consolidated Fastfrate Inc. v.
Western Canada Council of Teamsters, 2009 SCC 53;Canadian Western Bank v. Alberta, 2007 SCC 22; R. v. Comeau, 2018 SCC 15; Ontario (Attorney General) v. Winner, (UK JCPC), 1954 CarswellNB 40, [1954] 2 W.L.R. 418 (P.C.); Union Colliery Co. of British Columbia v. Bryden, 1899 CarswellBC13,[1899] A.C. 580 (P.C.); Schneider v. British Columbia, (SCC), [1982] 2 S.C.R. 112; Fawcett v. Attorney General ofCanada, (SCC), [1964] S.C.R. 625; Reference Re Intoxicated Persons Detention Act, (MB CA), 1980CarswellMan 144, [1981] 1 W.W.R. 333(C.A.); Rinfret v. Pope, (1886) 10 L.N. 74, 12 Q.L.R. 303 (Que.
C.A.); Labatt Breweries v.Canada (Attorney General), (SCC), [1980] 1 S.C.R. 914; Reference re Canada Temperance Act, (UKJCPC), [1946] A.C. 193, 1946 CarswellOnt 100 (P.C.); Toronto Elec. Commrs. v. Snider, (UK JCPC), [1925] 1W.W.R. 785, 1925 CarswellOnt 80 (P.C.); Skapinker v. Law Society of Upper Canada, (SCC), [1984] 1 S.C.R. 357;Ontario (Attorney General) v. Winner, (SCC), [1951] S.C.R. 887; Black v. Law Society (Alberta), (SCC), [1989] 1 S.C.R. 591; Malartic Hygrade Gold Mines Quebec Ltd. c. Quebec, (QC CS), [1982] C.S. 1146, 1982CarswellQue 298 (Sup. Ct.); Murphy v.
Canadian Pacific Railway Co., (SCC), [1958] S.C.R. 626; Manitoba (AttorneyGeneral) v. Manitoba Egg & Poultry Assn., (SCC), [1971] S.C.R. 689; Toomer v. Witsell, 334 U.S. 385 (1948);Shapro, Commissioner of Welfare of Connecticut v. Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969); United States of America v. Cotroni, (SCC), [1989] 1 S.C.R. 1469; United States of America v. Sriskandarajah, 2012 SCC 70; Canadian Egg Marketing Agency v.Richardson, (SCC), [1998] 3 S.C.R. 157; Divito v. Canada (Minister of Public Safety and EmergencyPreparedness), 2013 SCC 47; R. v. Big M Drug Mart Ltd., (SCC), [1985] 1 S.C.R. 295; Singh v.
Canada (Minister ofEmployment and Immigration), (SCC), [1985] 1 S.C.R. 177; R. v. Lloyd, 2016 SCC 13; Blencoe v. British Columbia(Human Rights Commission), 2000 SCC 44; Carter v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 5; R. v. Malmo-Levine, 2003 SCC 74; R. v.Videoflicks Ltd., (SCC), [1986] 2 S.C.R. 713; B. (R.) v. Children's Aid Society of Metropolitan Toronto, (SCC), [1995] 1 S.C.R. 315; R. v. Morgentaler, (SCC), [1988] 1 S.C.R. 30; R. v. Smith, 2015 SCC 34; Godbout v.Longueuil (Ville), (SCC), [1997] 3 S.C.R. 844; Alberta (Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development) v.Cunningham, 2011 SCC 37; R. v.
Oakes, (SCC), [1986] 1 S.C.R. 103; Thompson Newspapers Co. v. Canada (AttorneyGeneral), (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 877; R. v. Bryan, 2007 SCC 12; Harper v. Canada (Attorney General), 2004 SCC33; M. v. H., (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 3; P.S.A.C. v. Canada, (SCC), [1987] 1 S.C.R. 424; HutterianBrethren of Wilson Colony v. Alberta, 2009 SCC 37; Newfoundland (Treasury Board) v. N.A.P.E, 2004 SCC 66; South Bay UnitedPentecostal Church et al v. Gavin Newsom, Governor of California, et al., No. 19A1044 (USSC); Henning Jacobson, Plff. In Err.
V.Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11(1905) STATUTES CONSIDERED: Public Health Protection and Promotion Act, S.N.L. 2018, c. P-37.3; Canadian Charter of Rights andFreedoms (the Charter),
Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982, being
Schedule B to the Canada Act 1982 (U.K.), 1982, c. 11;Environmental Assessment Act, S.S. 1979-80, c. E-10.1; Elections Finances Act, S.M. 1982-83-84, c. 45; Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c.C-46; Corrections and Conditional Release Act, S.C. 1992, c. 20; Immigration Act 1976, S.C. 1976-77, c.52, as am. by S.C. 1988, c. 35;Canadian Security Intelligence Services Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-23; Constitution Act, 1867, 30 & 31 Victoria, c. 3 (U.K.); New BrunswickLiquor Control Act, R.S.W.B. 1973, c.
L-10; Mental Hospitals Act, R.S.O. 1960, c. 236; Heroin Treatment Act, R.S.B.C. 1979, c. 166;Quarantine Act, S.C. 2004, c. 20; Law Society Act, R.S.O. 1980, c. 233; Extradition Act, R.S.C. 1970, c. E-21; Quebec Charter of HumanRights and Freedoms, R.S.Q., c. C-12; Canada Elections Act, S.C. 2000, c. 9 OTHER: Commission of Inquiry on the Blood System in Canada: Final Report. (Ottawa: Canadian Government Publishing 1997);Extradition Treaty between Canada and the United States, CTS 1976; International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, Can.
T.S.1976 No. 47 preface This case engages the novel question of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador’s ability to restrict domestic travel across its borderin response to the COVID-19 pandemic. REASONS FOR JUDGMENT Burrage, J.: INTRODUCTION [1] It is difficult to overstate the global impact of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, known more commonly by the infectious andpotentially fatal disease it causes, COVID-19.
Since first identified in Wuhan, China[1], it has claimed the lives of close to one millionpeople worldwide, almost ten thousand in Canada alone, hospitalized many times that number, and left entire economies shaken.[2] Todate, there is no known cure, no effective treatment and no vaccine.
The impact of COVID-19 continues to be felt on international,national and regional levels, as governments implement public health measures in an effort to control the spread of the virus. [2] In 2018, long before the world heard of COVID-19, the legislature of this province was busy enacting the Public HealthProtection and Promotion Act[3] (the “PHPPA”). This legislation would prove to be timely, for as the Minister of Health andCommunity Services stated during its introduction in the legislature:
We are living in a world with SARS and Ebola. You are one plane flight away from a significant public health problem, and we need legislation that can adapt and deal with that. [4] [ 3 ] During times of a public health emergency s. 28(1) (
h) of the PHPPA authorizes the Chief Medical Officer of Health (the “CMOH”) to restrict travel to the province. In responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, the CMOH did just that. [ 4 ] On 29 April 2020 the CMOH issued Special Measures Order (Amendment No. 11), to take effect on 4 May 2020, limiting entry to residents of Newfoundland and Labrador, asymptomatic workers and those in extenuating circumstances. On 5 May 2020 the CMOH issued Special Measures Order (Travel Exemption Order), expanding those circumstances when entry into the province would be permitted.
As neither Order served as an outright ban on all travel, I will henceforth collectively refer to these two special measures as the “travel restriction”. [ 5 ] On 5 May 2020 Kimberley Taylor’s mother passed away suddenly at her home in Kilbride, St. John’s, NL. Ms. Taylor, who was born in this province, but now lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia, sought an exemption from the travel restriction in order to attend her mother’s funeral. On 8 May 2020 Ms. Taylor’s request was denied. [ 6 ] Ms. Taylor now challenges s. 28(1) (
h) of the PHPPA as beyond the legislative authority of the province. In the alternative, Ms. Taylor argues that the travel restriction violated her right to mobility and right to liberty as guaranteed by ss. 6 and 7 of the Charter [5] , respectively. [ 7 ] On 5 August 2020, following a hearing, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association (“CCLA”) was granted standing as a public interest litigant in support of Ms. Taylor.
On that same date it was denied public interest standing to challenge two provisions of the PHPPA , namely ss. 28.1 and 50(1) , relating to enforcement and investigation, as contrary to ss. 7 , 8 and/or 9 of the Charter . [6] These provisions are not challenged by Ms. Taylor. [ 8 ] While recognizing that Charter rights are not absolute, both the CCLA and Ms. Taylor argue that the violation of her right to mobility and/or liberty cannot be justified on the facts of this case. [7] They seek a Declaration that s. 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA and the travel restriction are of no force and effect. [ 9 ] At this point I would pause to observe that this is not an administrative law case. The Applicants do not seek review of the decision of the CMOH based upon procedural fairness, natural justice or reasonableness, for example. Nor do the Applicants challenge the power vested in the CMOH as an improper delegation of authority. The manner in which the CMOH made the decision regarding Ms. Taylor is not in play. The Applicants have bigger fish to fry. THE QUESTIONS [ 10 ] The questions to be addressed by the Court are, as follows: 1) Should the CCLA be granted public interest standing? 2) Is s. 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA within the legislative competence of the province? 3) Did the travel restriction violate Ms. Taylor’s right to mobility as guaranteed by s. 6 of the Charter ? 4) Did the travel restriction violate Ms. Taylor’s right to liberty as guaranteed by s. 7 of the Charter ? 5) If Ms. Taylor’s Charter rights were infringed, is the infringement justified under s.1 of the Charter , in response to the COVID-19 pandemic? 6) If s. 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA is beyond the legislative competence of the province, or there is a violation of Ms. Taylor’s Charter rights that cannot be justified by s. 1 , should any declaration of invalidity be temporarily suspended? The Legislation [ 11 ] The title of our legislation, “Public Health Protection and Promotion”, lends a clue to what lies within.
Section 5 of the PHPPA identifies its purpose: 5. The purpose of this Act is to (
a) promote the health and well-being of individuals and communities; (
b) protect individuals and communities from risks to the health of the population; (
c) prevent disease, injury and disability; (
d) provide a healthy environment for individuals and communities;
(
e) provide measures for the early detection and management of risks to the health of the population, including monitoring of a disease or health condition of significance; (
f) improve the health of the population and of vulnerable groups; and (
g) promote health equity within the population by addressing the social determinants of health. [ 12 ] The CMOH is appointed by the Minister of Health and Community Services (the “Minister”) pursuant to s. 9 of the PHPPA .
Section 9(1) provides that the CMOH must be a medical practitioner and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Public Health and Preventative Medicine, or have equivalent experience and training. [8] [ 13 ] Section 9(2) of the PHPPA provides that the CMOH shall “exercise his or her powers and perform his or her duties independently and impartially in order to best protect and promote the health of the people in the province.” [ 14 ] To this end, s. 9(3) provides that the CMOH shall : (
a) monitor the health of the people in the province, including the impact of zoonotic disease on human health; (
b) establish measures to identify, investigate and manage communicable diseases and outbreaks in the province; (
c) monitor the implementation of core public health programs and services prescribed in the regulations; (
d) monitor regional medical officers of health in the exercise of their powers and duties under this Act and the regulations; (
e) be responsible for those aspects of the province's emergency planning, preparedness, response and recovery that relate to health; (
f) increase public awareness of health issues and changing health needs; (
g) provide advice to the minister on public health and health issues; (
h) develop, in consultation with the regional health authorities, standards related to core public health programs and services as prescribed in the regulations; (
i) implement the provincial public health plan developed under subsection 7(1); (
j) prepare and publish an annual report within 6 months of the end of each year respecting the reportable events, outbreaks, public health emergencies and number and results of inspections conducted under this Act and the regulations during that year; and (
k) prepare a report to the Lieutenant-Governor in Council every 5 years regarding the health status of people in the province. [ 15 ] Finally, s. 9(4) provides that the CMOH may : (
a) exercise the powers and perform the duties of a regional medical officer of health as set out in this Act and the regulations; (
b) issue directions to regional medical officers of health regarding the exercise of their powers and duties under this Act and the regulations;
(
c) make recommendations and engage in planning in respect of public health; and (
d) approve or issue standards and guidelines for controlling a communicable disease. [ 16 ] The PHPPA is divided into nine Parts.
Part VI is entitled “Public Health Emergencies”. Such emergencies are defined in s. 2(y): 2. (y) "public health emergency" means an occurrence or imminent threat of one of the following that presents a serious risk to the health of the population (
i) a communicable disease, (ii) a health condition, (iii) a novel or highly infectious agent or biological substance, or (iv) the presence of a chemical agent or radioactive material; [ 17 ] Section 27(1) of the PHPPA gives the Minister the power, on the advice of the CMOH, to declare a public health emergency in all or a part of the province, where one exists, and such emergency cannot be “sufficiently mitigated or remedied without the implementation of the special measures available under s. 28.” [ 18 ] Pursuant to s. 27(2) a declaration of a public health emergency expires no more than 14 days after it is made.
However, the Minister may, on the advice of the CMOH, extend the public health emergency for consecutive periods of 14 days, where the public health emergency continues to exist and the extension is required to protect the health of the population. [ 19 ] In the event of a public health emergency, the declaration must identify the nature of the emergency, specify the area of the province to which it relates and specify the dates when the declaration takes effect and when it expires ( PHPPA , s. 27(4) ). [ 20 ] While a declaration of a public health emergency exists, s. 28 of the PHPPA gives the CMOH the power to implement a number of special measures, “for the purpose of protecting the health of the population and preventing, remedying or mitigating the effects of the public health emergency.” [ 21 ] Section 28(1) reads: 28.
(1) While a declaration of a public health emergency is in effect, the Chief Medical Officer of Health may do one or more of the following for the purpose of protecting the health of the population and preventing, remedying or mitigating the effects of the public health emergency: (
a) authorize qualified persons to give aid of a specified type; (
b) provide directions to environmental health officers and public health personnel in the province; (
c) establish a voluntary immunization program in the province; (
d) establish a list of individuals or classes of individuals who shall be given priority for immunizing agents, drugs, medical supplies or equipment; (
e) enter into an agreement for services with an agency of the Government of Canada or another province and provide directions regarding the deployment of those services when operating in the province; (
f) procure and provide for the distribution of medical supplies, aid and equipment in the province; (
g) acquire or use real or personal property, whether private or public, other than a dwelling house;
(
h) make orders restricting travel to or from the province or an area within the province; [emphasis added] (
i) order the closure of any educational setting or place of assembly; (
j) enter or authorize any person acting under the direction of the Chief Medical Officer of Health to enter any premises without a warrant; and (
k) take any other measure the Chief Medical Officer of Health reasonably believes is necessary for the protection of the health of the population during the public health emergency. [ 22 ] In the within action the impugned provision is s. 28(1)(h), which authorizes the CMOH to “make orders restricting travel to or from the province or an area within the province.” [ 23 ]
Section 13 of the PHPPA is cautionary. It reads: 13. Where an individual's rights or freedoms are restricted as a result of the exercise of a power or the performance of a duty under this Act, the regulations or an order made under this Act or the regulations, the restriction shall be no greater than is reasonably required in the circumstances to respond to a communicable disease, health hazard, public health emergency or contravention of this Act, the regulations or an order made under this Act or the regulations. [ 24 ] The next two sections of the PHPPA are included here for the sake of completeness.
They are not considered in this decision other than in the context of the CCLA’s request for standing. [ 25 ]
Section 28.1 of the PHPPA reads: 28.1
(1) While a measure taken by the Chief Medical Officer of Health under subsection 28(1) is in effect, the Minister of Justice and Public Safety may, upon the request of and following consultation with the minister, authorize a peace officer to do one or more of the following: (
a) locate an individual who is in contravention of the measure; (
b) detain an individual who is in contravention of the measure; (
c) convey an individual who is in contravention of the measure to a specified location, including a point of entry to the province; and (
d) provide the necessary assistance to ensure compliance with the measure.
(2) A peace officer who detains or conveys an individual under subsection (1) shall promptly inform the individual of (
a) the reasons for the detention or conveyance; (
b) the individual’s right to retain and instruct counsel without delay; and (
c) the location to which the individual is being taken. [ 26 ]
Section 28.1 is new. It was added to the PHPPA on 5 May 2020, primarily to give force to the special measures under s. 28(1)(h). [ 27 ] Section 50(1) of the PHPPA reads:
50. ( 1) An inspector may, at all reasonable times and without a warrant, for the purpose of administering or determining compliance with this Act or the regulations, a code of practice or a measure taken or an order made under this Act or the regulations or to investigate a communicable disease or health hazard, do one or more of the following: (
a) inspect or examine premises, processes, books and records the inspector may consider relevant; (
b) enter any premises; (
c) take samples, conduct tests and make copies, extracts, photographs or videos the inspector considers necessary; or (
d) require a person to (
i) give the inspector all reasonable assistance, including the production of books and records as requested by the inspector and to answer all questions relating to the administration or enforcement of this Act or the regulations, a code of practice or a measure taken or an order made under this Act or the regulations and, for that purpose, require a person to stop a motor vehicle or attend at a premises with the inspector, and (ii) make available the means to generate and manipulate books and records that are in machine readable or electronic form and any other means or information necessary for the inspector to assess the books and records. [emphasis added] [ 28 ] Section 50(1) is not new, but the word “measure” was added on 5 May 2020 making it clear that the powers of inspectors could operate to determine compliance with special measures.
The Public Health Emergency [ 29 ] At the end of 2019 the World Health Organization (WHO) was alerted to several cases of pneumonia in Wuhan, China, caused by an unknown virus. On 7 January 2020 China advised the world that a new coronavirus was the cause, later labelled SARS-CoV-2. It causes the disease known as COVID-19. [9] [ 30 ] In mid-January 2020 the Public Health Agency of Canada activated the Emergency Operation Centre in support of Canada’s response to COVID-19.
On 22 January 2020 Canada implemented COVID-19 screening requirements for travelers returning from China. [10] [ 31 ] On 25 January 2020 Canada confirmed its first case of COVID-19 related to travel from Wuhan, China.
On 9 March 2020 Canada recorded its first death related to COVID-19. [11] [ 32 ] On 11 March 2020 the WHO declared the global outbreak of COVID-19 to be a pandemic. [12] [ 33 ] Three days later Newfoundland and Labrador recorded its first presumptive positive case of COVID-19. [13] [ 34 ] In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, on 18 March 2020, the Minister, on the advice of the CMOH, declared a public health emergency for all of Newfoundland and Labrador, pursuant to s. 27 of the PHPPA .
Since that date the Minister has extended the public health emergency declaration, such that at the time of writing it remains in effect. Quite rightly, the status of the COVID-19 pandemic as a public health emergency within the meaning of the PHPPA is not challenged by the Applicants. [ 35 ] Pursuant to s. 28 of the PHPPA , commencing on 18 March 2020 the CMOH issued a number of special measures for the purpose of protecting the health of those in Newfoundland and Labrador and preventing, remedying or mitigating the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Up to the date of Ms.
Taylor’s request to travel these included, but are not limited to the following: [14] • On 18 March 2020 the CMOH ordered certain businesses in the province to close; fitness facilities, dance studios, cinemas, performance spaces, arenas, bingo halls, liquor stores and restaurants for in person dining (unless the restaurant could operate at 50% capacity and maintain social distancing).
Gatherings of more than 50 people were prohibited and those returning from outside Canada (including the U.S.) were required to self-isolate for 14 days. • On 23 March 2020 the list of business closures was expanded to include personal service establishments, all retail stores other than those providing services essential to the life, health or personal safety of individuals and animals, and all in person eating in restaurants.
Gatherings were reduced to no more than 10 people and visitation to personal care homes prohibited except in exceptional circumstances. • The following day all private health care clinics were ordered to close, with the exception of physician and nurse practitioner clinics, and urgent and emergent services. Virtual care was encouraged.
• The sale of scratch and break open lottery tickets was prohibited on 30 March 2020. Gatherings were restricted to five people and those required to self-isolate were ordered to remain on their property and not go for a drive unless to seek medical attention. • The following day all campsites in municipal and privately owned parks that were not already closed were ordered to do so.
Some weeks later, on 17 April 2020, an exemption was made for those individuals who are a permanent resident of a campsite, with no other residence. • On 20 March 2020 the requirement to self-isolate was expanded to include all individuals arriving from other provinces and territories. An exception was made for certain asymptomatic workers in the air transportation sector. • The following day, 21 March 2020, the exemption for asymptomatic workers was expanded for those deemed essential to the movement of goods and people, while travelling to and from their home and place of work in the province.
When not working and while in the province these workers were required to self-isolate.
Such workers included those essential to the critical maintenance of the province’s infrastructure in the trade, transportation, fishing, mining and oil and gas sectors. • The exemption from self-isolation was expanded on 25 March 2020 to include asymptomatic workers essential to critical health care in the province, including air ambulance, and organ donor retrieval teams, while travelling to and from their home and place of work. • Almost a month later, on 22 April 2020, a further exception was made, due to the level of social and economic integration between towns and communities on the Newfoundland and Labrador-Quebec border.
Asymptomatic individuals crossing the border for work or health reasons were exempt from the requirement to self-isolate. • As of 24 April 2020 all individuals arriving from outside the province were required to complete a declaration form and be available for contact by public health officials during their 14 day self-isolation period. As of noon on 27 April 2020 those arriving from outside the province were required to provide specifics of their plan to self-isolate.
Employers of those arriving from a point of origin outside Canada were similarly required to submit the specifics of their plan for the employees’ self-isolation. Those arriving by motor vehicle from Quebec were required to stop at their point of entry for the purpose of the declaration. • Other measures leading up to the travel restriction related to operators, staff and residents of personal care homes and assisted living facilities, members and staff at the House of Assembly, those who attended Caul’s Funeral Home from 15-17 March 2020, and those returning from Kearl Lake, Alberta.
The latter were required to self-isolate if arriving after 29 March 2020 and to contact 811 for follow up. [ 36 ] Special Measures Order (Amendment No. 11) came into effect on 4 May 2020. It prohibited all individuals from entering Newfoundland and Labrador, except for the following: a. Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador; b. Asymptomatic workers and individuals who are subject to the Exemption Order for the 14-day self-isolation; and c.
Individuals who are permitted entry to the province in extenuating circumstances, as approved in advance by the Chief Medical Officer of Health. [ 37 ] “Resident” is defined in the Order as an individual who: a. is lawfully entitled to be or to remain in Canada; b. makes his or her home in the province; and c. is ordinarily present in the province. but does not include a tourist, transient or visitor to the province. [ 38 ] Special Measures Order (Travel Exemption Order) came into effect on 5 May 2020, exempting those individuals who enter the province: a. who have a significant injury, condition or illness and require the support of family members resident in Newfoundland and Labrador; b. who are visiting a family member In Newfoundland and Labrador who is critically or terminally ill;
c. to provide care for a family member who is elderly or has a disability; d. to permanently relocate to the province; e. who are recently unemployed and who will be living with family members; f. to fulfill a short term contract, education internship or placement; g. who are returning to the province after completion of a school term out of province; and h. to comply with a custody, access, or adoption order or agreement. (This includes a child/children arriving in the province, as well as individuals who are accompanying the child/children.) [ 39 ] As already noted, for ease of reference these two special measures are referred to throughout this decision as the “travel restriction.” Both were in play when Ms.
Taylor sought permission to travel to this province. THE EVIDENCE [ 40 ] The within matter proceeded by way of Originating Application with affidavit evidence and cross-examination. Specifically, the Applicants provided an affidavit from Ms. Taylor, dated 20 May 2020, detailing her efforts to come to this province. The facts contained therein are not contested by the Respondents and Ms. Taylor was not cross-examined. The CCLA provided an affidavit from Cara Faith Zwibel, Director of the Association’s Fundamental Freedoms Program, dated 20 May 2020. Ms.
Zwibel’s affidavit related to the standing of the CCLA as a public interest litigant. She was not cross-examined. [ 41 ] The Respondents provided affidavit evidence from Dr. Brenda Wilson, Full Professor and Associate Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University; Dr. Patrick Parfey, Professor of the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University and clinical epidemiologist; Dr. Proton Rahman, University Research Professor and Clinical Scientist with the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University and Eastern Health; Dr.
Janice Fitzgerald, CMOH, for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador; and Katie Norman, Assistant Deputy Minister of Enforcement and Resource Services with the Department of Fisheries and Land Resources. All affiants were cross-examined by the Applicants with the exception of Ms. Norman. [ 42 ] The following is a
summary of the evidence provided by each witness. Kimberley Taylor [ 43 ] Kimberley Taylor, is a Canadian citizen, born and raised in Kilbride, a community within the City of St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. Ms. Taylor moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1996 and resides there with her spouse and two children. Since moving to Halifax, Ms. Taylor and her family would regularly return to this province to visit her parents and other family members. [ 44 ] On 5 May 2020 Ms. Taylor’s mother passed way suddenly at her home in Kilbride. After learning of the travel restriction, on 6 May 2020 Ms.
Taylor followed the instructions on the province’s website and requested an exemption by email, so that she might attend her mother’s funeral. [ 45 ] In her email Ms. Taylor writes: Please contact me ASAP. My mother in St. John’s has just passed away from natural causes (not COVID-19) I live in Halifax, NS and need to be with my family in NL What do I have to do to be permitted to travel to NL so that I can grieve with my family? Thank you, [ 46 ] While waiting for a response Ms.
Taylor researched available flights and made arrangements to self-isolate for a period of 14 days upon her anticipated arrival in this province. With the agreement of her family and cooperation of the funeral director she planned a
burial service for her mother to take place after her period of self-isolation. Ms. Taylor was to attend the service with her father and younger sister. [ 47 ] Having not received a response, later that same day Ms. Taylor repeated her request, noting that she had not received an acknowledgement, nor did she have a phone number to call for information. [ 48 ] Eventually, late in the day on 8 May 2020, Ms. Taylor received a reply from the office of the CMOH, denying her request to travel. The response reads, as follows: Dear Ms.
Taylor, Your request for an exemption of the Special Measures Order (Travel Exemption Order) of May 5, 2020 to enter Newfoundland and Labrador has been reviewed based on the Information you provided. While I would like to offer my deepest condolences to you and your family, unfortunately, your request has been denied, meaning you are not permitted to enter Newfoundland and Labrador at this time. Please continue to check https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/ website for updates on NL Alert levels and travel guidance.
A person may request that the Chief Medical Officer of Health reconsider this decision by filing a written request for reconsideration within 7 days of the date on this letter. A written request for reconsideration of this decision shall include: (
i) the reasons for the request; (ii) a
summary of the facts relevant to the request; (iii) whether the decision should be revoked or how it should be varied; and (iv) the contact information of the person making the request; and shall be sent to the following address: exemptionrequests@gov.nl.ca Once again, my deepest condolences. If you have any further questions, please visit www.gov.nl.ca/COVID-19. [ 49 ] On 14 May 2020 Ms. Taylor submitted a reconsideration request. [15] On 16 May 2020, Ms. Taylor was granted an exemption, permitting her entry into the province. [16] Cara Faith Zwibel (for the CCLA) [ 50 ] Ms.
Zwibel is the Director of the CCLA’s Fundamental Freedoms Program. The CCLA was founded in 1964 as a national, non-profit, independent, non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect for and observance of fundamental human rights and civil liberties in Canada. [17] Its work includes research, advocacy, public education and engagement.
The CCLA seeks to hold government accountable by actively defending and promoting the recognition of fundamental human rights through the media, courts, provincial legislatures and Parliament, as well as through training in schools and universities. [ 51 ] The CCLA is no stranger to constitutional litigation, having either intervened or been granted standing in no less than 30 cases involving the Charter and constitutional rights generally. [18] [ 52 ] With respect to the COVID-19 pandemic the CCLA has actively monitored and advocated for a rights based response by governments and agencies, both in terms of protecting vulnerable populations and preventing what it perceives as unjustified infringements of civil liberties under the guise of public safety.
To this end, the CCLA has written to numerous public authorities expressing concerns and making recommendations on a variety of measures relating to COVID-19. [19] This correspondence includes a letter to the Attorney General of this province, dated 11 May 2020, expressing concerns regarding the travel restriction and ss. 28.1 and 50(1) of the PHPPA (the enforcement and inspection provisions). [ 53 ] The CCLA has also initiated litigation as a public interest litigant in two matters directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On 24 April 2020 the CCLA and others commenced an application in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice against the City of Toronto and Province of Ontario, challenging the constitutionality of the Toronto Shelter Standards and the Toronto 24 Hour Respite Standards.
On 12 May 2020 the CCLA and others brought a challenge in the Federal Court regarding the government’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic in federal correctional institutes. [20] Katie Norman [ 54 ] Katie Norman is the Assistant Deputy Minister of Enforcement and Resource Services with the province’s Department of Fisheries and Land Resources, and serves as the operational lead for points of entry during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ms. Norman, who
was not questioned by the Applicants, tells us that as of 9 July 2020 neither the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, nor the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have undertaken enforcement measures under s. 28.1 of the PHPPA . Rather, those who have been asked to leave the province have done so voluntarily. In some instances the province has paid for accommodation, or return transportation, for persons unable to reasonably assume this cost themselves. [21] Dr. Brenda Wilson [ 55 ] Dr.
Brenda Wilson is a Full Professor, and Associate Dean of Community Health and Humanities in the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador. Following cross-examination by the Applicants, Dr. Wilson was qualified by the Court as an expert in the field of public health decision making. Dr. Wilson did not offer advice to the CMOH with regard to the travel restriction. Rather, her evidence and report focused more broadly on the practice and culture of public health decision making. [22] [ 56 ] Dr.
Wilson explained that while public health interventions aim to prevent disease or improve health in individuals, they are typically applied to groups, populations, or systems as a whole: For example, legislation to require the removal of lead from gasoline is an intervention applied at a population/system level: no individual consent is sought and no individual may seek an exemption. While all children may, in principle, be biologically susceptible to the negative health effects of lead (brain damage and intellectual impairment), in reality only a small proportion would have been destined to experience this.
This is the essence of the population-based approach. [23] [ 57 ] Exposure to disease causing risks is not distributed equally across all groups in society, nor is the ability to access the means to mitigate these risks, whether through individual preventative behaviors, or access to the health services needed to treat the resulting medical conditions. As such, applying a preventative measure across the entire population is often a more effective means than targeting smaller at risk sub-groups [24] . In addition, such an approach is often a better use of constrained resources. [ 58 ] Dr.
Wilson observed that: Public health goals are rarely achieved through single actions or simple tools. A range of mechanisms may be employed, depending on the health problem and context. [25] [ 59 ] The central objective of a public health practice is to intervene early and effectively to mitigate or prevent the effects of harmful agents.
To the lay observer, when the desired outcome is achieved (e.g. lower level of disease), these public health interventions often appear to have been unnecessary or overdone [26] . [ 60 ] In the context of a public health emergency with emergent and rapidly evolving situations, the time available for seeking out and analyzing evidence shrinks.
Where the goal is to avert serious injury or death, the margin for error may be narrow: “The more urgent the situation, and the less evidence or precedent, the more that ‘best judgment’ must be exercised.” [27] This approach is illustrative of the “precautionary principle”, the case for action to prevent anticipated harm before confirmatory evidence is available. [28] To illustrate the point Dr.
Wilson referred to Canada’s ‘tainted blood’ tragedy, where decision makers delayed measures to protect the supply of donated blood from HIV while awaiting evidence, prompting the Krever Commission to conclude that the “action to reduce risk should not await scientific certainty.” [29] [ 61 ] Long before the WHO officially declared COVID-19 a pandemic, public health officials across the world were preparing their responses, extrapolating as best they could from influenza and other recent outbreaks relating to coronavirus [30] . [ 62 ] In the case of COVID-19, Dr.
Wilson explained that there were two characteristics which served to increase the complexity of public health decision making: The first is that this is a novel virus: never before encountered in the world, therefore its biology unclear, no possibility of immunity in any country’s population, no vaccine, and no treatments confirmed to be effective.
The second is that this has produced a much more severe, complicated, and protracted clinical condition than seen in influenza, with an approximately ten times higher death rate. [31] [emphasis in original] [ 63 ] The early messages communicated by the WHO and national public health agencies was that COVID-19 seemed more complex than influenza or a respiratory infection, as it affected the cardiovascular system and kidneys and caused severe blood clots, such that a much higher proportion of diagnosed patients needed ICU support and mechanical ventilation than expected.
The risk of critical illness in the elderly was also higher than expected, as was the overall rate of death in diagnosed patients. [ 64 ] With asymptomatic spread (spread without symptoms) a reality, a community could see a doubling of cases every few days, known as exponential spread. It was estimated that on average one infected person could pass the virus to 2-3 others.
Over the course of 30 days one infected person could therefore infect 400 others, with each of these infecting 400 more, and so forth. [32] [ 65 ] Cutting down person to person transmission would thereby slow the rate of new cases, “flattening the curve”, thereby giving the health systems time to increase their available beds, ICU places, and ventilators, and provide front line health care workers time to react while protecting themselves. [33] Flattening the curve would also give time to develop a vaccine, effective treatments and give societies time to adjust to life with COVID-19. [ 66 ] From a public health perspective the speed with which control interventions are implemented is crucial.
The idea of exponential spread is that the speed of the increase in transmission gets greater day by day. One early calculation, based in China, estimated that a single day’s delay in implementing effective control measures could lead to a 40% increase in total cases in a population [34] . According to Dr. Wilson, the feeling of urgency for “immediate, decisive, heavy action” was probably best captured in the following remarks of Dr. Michael Ryan of the WHO at a media briefing in early March:
Be fast, have no regrets, you must be the first mover. … If you need to be right before you move, you will never win. Perfection is the enemy of the good when it comes to emergency management. Speed trumps perfection. And the problem in society at the moment is everyone is afraid of making a mistake, everyone is afraid of the consequences of error. But the greatest error is not to move, the greatest error is to be paralysed by the fear of failure. [35] [ 67 ] Dr.
Wilson concludes her report: Public health practitioners are expected to be able to offer advice and make decisions based on best available scientific evidence, but often under conditions of uncertainty. Intervening at a population level to address an important public health problem is rarely a simple prospect, usually requires multiple approaches, and may simultaneously be perceived as too much or too little by different sections of society.
However, the more serious the consequences of under-reaction, the more that decision-making is likely to be driven by the precautionary principle: in the absence of clear evidence, use best judgement to prevent potential harm. Despite pandemic preparation being a core activity for public health agencies, it was evident that extraordinary measures would be necessary as the true impact of the COVID-19 pandemic became apparent.
For the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, as for every other jurisdiction, judgements about the necessity of specific public health decisions during the pandemic’s first few months will be discernable only in hindsight. [36] Dr. Patrick Parfrey [ 68 ] Dr. Patrick Parfrey is a Professor at the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University and a clinical epidemiologist. He is the lead member of a group entitled “Quality of Care NL” at Memorial University. Quality of Care NL is funded by the Canadian Institute of Health Research.
It examines and makes recommendations concerning the performance of the health system in Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as interventions in health care undertaken in hospitals, long term care facilities and the community. [ 69 ] Under Dr. Parfrey’s direction Quality of Care NL prepared two reports for this litigation.
The first, entitled “Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Border Control and Travel Restrictions” is a review of border controls to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in comparable island populations and other provinces, as of 19 June 2020. [37] [ 70 ] After the WHO declared COVID-19 a pandemic on 11 March 2020, many governments implemented travel restrictions, or closed their borders to non-citizens and non-residents in an effort to arrest the spread of the virus.
As case numbers decrease and countries begin to loosen their public health restrictions, many continue to maintain strict control over their borders while allowing more domestic and regional travel. [ 71 ] While there is no clear consensus on how borders are to be managed, small populations with fewer cases of COVID-19 are more likely to have stricter border control. [38] [ 72 ] The second report of Quality of Care NL, dated 25 June 2020, is entitled “NL Population Health Implications for COVID-19 Risk”.
It compares the risk factors for severe illness from COVID-19 in this province with the rest of Canada. [ 73 ] Risk factors for severe illness or death from COVID-19 include asthma, chronic kidney disease, chronic lung disease, diabetes, chronic liver disease, serious heart conditions, obesity, cancer and age over 65. [39] [ 74 ] This report concludes that “Newfoundland and Labrador has the lowest life expectancy and health status in Canada.” [40] Further, Newfoundland and Labrador has the dubious distinction of ranking, the highest, or next to highest in the country for many of the risk factors for adverse outcomes from COVID-19. [41] With an aging population, the province ranks 9 th in Canada, with 20.5% of its residents being 65 years of age or older.
Dr. Proton Rahman [ 75 ] Dr. Proton Rahman is a University Research Professor and Clinical Scientist with the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University and Eastern Health. Following cross-examination, Dr.
Rahman was qualified by the Court as an expert in the field of epidemiology. [ 76 ] The Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health Information (NLCHI) is a Crown Agency of the government of Newfoundland and Labrador with a legislative mandate which includes enhancing the health and well-being of Newfoundland and Labrador residents through, amongst other measures, the preparation of health reports, conducting research and evaluation and providing analytics and decision support services. [42] [ 77 ] In early March 2020 the NLCHI was asked by the Department of Health and Community Services to “co-ordinate an expert group which would use predictive modelling to help inform public health decision-making with respect to the COVID-19 pandemic.” [43] The end result was the Predictive Analytics Technical Team, with Dr.
Rahman as its lead. The team, assisted by NLCHI, was asked by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador to model the impact of the travel restriction subsequent to 4 May 2020 on the spread of COVID-19. Following an examination of the relevant peer reviewed literature, two separate modelling approaches were undertaken, in order to take into account the province’s “spatial, biological, social and environmental elements” [44] .
The models chosen were designed to best represent the COVID-19 case trajectory with, and without the travel restriction. [ 78 ] The team concluded that: The results from our simulation modelling demonstrates that travel restrictions significantly reduced the COVID-19 spread in the NL population. [45]
[ 79 ] The two models used by the team are referred to as the “NL Branching Process Model” (NL-BP) and the “NL Agent Based Simulation Model” (ABS-NL). Dr. Rahman explained that both approaches were undertaken as the peer reviewed literature is replete with examples of each. In the scientific community there is no consensus as to the “best” approach, as each model has its unique strengths and weaknesses. Dr. Rahman explained that by utilizing both models the team endeavored to generate a balanced inference, free of any pre-existing bias towards a particular approach. [46] [ 80 ] During cross-examination Dr.
Rahman confirmed that both models were chosen as they are generally accepted within the epidemiological community. The Applicants offered no evidence to the contrary. NL Branching Process Model (NL-BP) [ 81 ] This model has been used to inform New Zealand’s approach to COVID-19 management. The assumptions and methodology were provided in the Technical Report as an attachment to Dr. Rahman’s Affidavit.
The aim of the model was to predict COVID-19 cases in the nine weeks subsequent to 4 May 2020, under two scenarios: 1) when the travel restriction is implemented and 2) with no travel restriction in place. [47] [ 82 ] Dr. Rahman explained the methodology of the NL-BP model, as follows: In the NL-BP model, infection is spread to susceptible NL residents when they come into contact with an infected person, who may be either another NL resident or a traveler (Appendix A – Technical Report 1).
The NL-BP model distinguishes between infected individuals that are pre-clinical, clinical, and asymptomatic, considers infectivity depending on the number of days since the infection onset, assumes that individuals with clinical infections self-isolate, and allows for individual differences and chance events (e.g. a few infected individuals who would generate many more new infections than the average infected person).
Prior to May 4 th , the model is fit to data describing the number of active COVID-19 cases in NL, where the model fitting considers the number of daily contacts between NL residents before and after the declaration of the public health emergency on March 18 th (Appendix A – Technical Report 1: Figure 1). After May 4 th , the analysis considers future scenarios where no travel restriction is implemented. The number of infected travelers that fail to self-isolate per month is assumed to be 3 (no travel restriction) and 0.24 (travel restriction).
The value of 3 infected travelers failing to self-isolate per month when there is no travel restriction is likely an underestimate, given the large number of travelers that enter NL during this time period and recent data documenting the poor compliance rates with lockdowns (Smith et al, 2020).
The effect of the travel restriction also depends on the level of physical distancing in place at the time, as reflected by daily contact rates. [48] [ 83 ] The conclusion reached using the NL-BP model was that over the nine weeks subsequent to 4 May 2020, failing to implement the travel restriction resulted in ten times more cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador residents than what actually occurred, where these residents are part of an infection chain that began with an infected traveler. [49] If a period longer than nine weeks were considered, the predicted effect of the travel restriction would be greater than a tenfold decrease, as the number of cases increases exponentially.
As a result, the difference between the two scenarios, travel restriction versus no restriction widens over time. The model also determined that if 15 infected travelers failed to self-isolate each month, with no travel restriction in place, an estimated 50-fold increase in the total number of cases would occur over the nine weeks subsequent to 4 May 2020. [50] NL Agent Based Simulation Model (ABS-NL) [ 84 ] Like the NL-BP model, the details of the methodology, assumptions, risks, strengths and biases of the ABS-NL model were described in a Technical Report appended to Dr.
Rahman’s affidavit. [ 85 ] The ABS-NL model tested three scenarios: 1) Travel restrictions in place with 1,000 exempted travelers entering the province per week (current base scenario); 2) Travel restrictions lifted and non-resident travel to NL resumes at typical levels; and 3) Travel restrictions lifted and non-resident travel to NL resumes at 50% of current levels. [51] [ 86 ] The ABS-NL model is described by Dr.
Rahman, as follows: The ABS NL travel model is based on the total number of annual non-resident travelers to the province from May 1st and simulates importation of infected cases over the next 100 days. As the exact percentage of travelers infected with SARS-CoV-2 is not known, the model assessed two plausible infection rates (0.03%, 0.1%). We assumed that 75% of travelers follow the stated requirement of a 14-day self-isolation upon arrival in NL, and that 50% of those who did not self-isolate will choose to self-isolate if they became symptomatic.
During the travel restrictions, approximately 1000 individuals per week were granted travel exemptions and able to enter the province. The importation impact from these travelers were incorporated in the ABS modelling. The scenarios start on May 1, and simulate 100 days. An initial undetected five cases are assumed to be present in the community at the
start of the simulation. Households are engaged in a “double bubble”, in accordance with NL’s current de-escalation protocol. Non- resident travelers that arrived via air and car were assigned to ‘workplace’ if they travel for business or assigned to ‘households’ if they are in NL to visit relatives and friends. The non-resident travelers are also matched to economic zones based on the site of tourist attractions.
At each location visited by a traveler, there is interaction with other individuals at the same location (household members, fellow students, fellow employees, etc.), and an individual’s chance of becoming infected is determined by contact with infected individuals in each location and the nature of that contact. Exempted travelers are assumed to only be visiting family or business. The daily SARS-CoV-2 infections significantly increase as the percentage of infected travelers rises from 0.03% to 0.1% for both 100% and 50% travel volume scenarios (Figure 2).
At 100% travel volume, when comparing 0.03% of incoming travelers being infected to 0.1% of exempted travelers infected (this is the most conservative case for SARS-Co-V-2 infections in the 100% scenario), there was a 5x greater peak for infections when no travel restrictions were in place. And when 0.1% of incoming travelers were infected there was 20x more infections when compared to 0.1% infections for exempted travelers, during the travel restrictions.
Similar results are observed for the 50% travel volume scenarios, though at smaller magnitudes: The lifted travel restrictions scenarios are three-and six- fold worse than the travel restrictions for 0.03% and 0.1% of travelers infected, respectively. [52] [ 87 ] The conclusion reached through the application of this model is that the travel restriction provides significant protection to the province’s population: The ABS NL model provides insight when comparing multiple “what if scenarios”. This model informs us that the lifted travel restriction scenarios pose a much greater risk of new infections.
The strength of the model is that incorporates granular NL data, allowing for individual behavioral, demographic, health, spatial and environmental characteristics to be represented. As contact tracing has not been incorporated into the ABS-NL model, it overestimates the number of daily cases, however given the large difference between the scenarios, inclusion of contact tracing is highly unlikely to erase the magnitude of the difference.
Thus, our ABS model indicates that the travel restrictions provides significant protection to the NL population . [53] [emphasis added] [ 88 ] The overall conclusion reached by Dr. Rahman’s team is summarized, as follows: In
summary, SARS-CoV-2 is a novel coronavirus that continues to exhibit a very unpredictable course. NL has done well in managing the first wave of the pandemic, but over 99% of the population lacks immunity to the virus. Swift deployment of public health measures, including implementation of travel restrictions, has been key in controlling SARS-CoV-2 infections in NL to date . Similar island jurisdictions with low infection rates have opted for implementing strict border controls, thus allowing the loosening of other public health measures, while keeping infection rates low.
Given the older population, high prevalence of chronic conditions, and the population dispersed over a vast geography, controlling the border is a prudent strategy to manage this pandemic in NL . The NL Branching process Model and Agent Based Simulation NL models are two independent mathematical simulation models that provide clear evidence in support of the travel restriction in NL on May 4 th , 2020 . Significant reduction in imported cases in NL will lead to lower rates of community transmission.
It is important to minimize community transmission as the epidemic increases quickly due to the positive feedback between the number of infected people, and the number of new infections they generate leading to exponential grown of SARS-CoV-2 during the early phase of the epidemic. The travel restriction in NL is not an isolated intervention, but is part of a comprehensive public health action plan that aims to reduce the impact of COVID-19 in the province.
Low rates of community transmission combined with limited the number of imported cases will support the safe de-escalation of public health measures. [54] [emphasis added] [ 89 ] The upshot of the modelling conducted by the Predictive Analytics Team, headed by Dr. Rahman, is that the travel restriction is an effective measure at reducing the spread of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador. Dr. Janice Fitzgerald [ 90 ] Dr. Janice Fitzgerald is the CMOH for Newfoundland and Labrador. Her qualifications for this position are not challenged by the Applicants. Dr.
Fitzgerald explained that while she works within the structure of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and reports to the senior executive within the Department of Health and Community Services, the advice she provides is both independent and impartial. [ 91 ] In addition to her own expertise, Dr. Fitzgerald tells us that in providing this advice she relies on expertise from outside the office, including but not limited to expertise from: a. other employees within the Department of Health and Community Services; b.
Federal and Provincial Government departments and agencies; c. regional health authorities; d. the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health information; e. the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Applied Health Research; f. university-affiliated research teams; g. the Canadian Institute for Health Information; h. the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Health Technology; and
i. national and provincial public health and health professional associations. [55] [ 92 ] COVID-19 is a new disease not previously identified in humans, caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. This virus is one of a large family of viruses known as coronaviruses, which may cause illness in people and animals. Typically, human coronaviruses are associated with such mild illnesses as the common cold.
Rarely, however, these viruses can spread from animals to humans, as was the case with the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS CoV) and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS CoV), and now the SARS-CoV-2 virus. [56] [ 93 ] COVID-19 is spread mainly from close person to person contact, (within approximately 6 feet) particularly through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes, talks or sings.
The virus may also be transmitted by touching a surface or object contaminated with the virus and then touching the eyes, nose or mouth. [57] [ 94 ] Recent evidence has shown that the virus can be transmitted by those who have not yet developed symptoms (pre-symptomatic) and people who never develop symptoms (asymptomatic), although it does not appear that these groups are the major drivers of the disease. [58] [ 95 ] COVID-19 disproportionally affects those with pre-existing medical conditions, as underlying chronic disease tends to weaken the body’s defence mechanism to viral infections.
In addition, those over 65 years of age are more likely to be hospitalized and more likely to be admitted to ICU, even without a pre-existing medical condition. As COVID-19 is a new disease, its long term effects are unknown. Some of those infected have short hospital stays while others are extended. Elderly patients often do not recover to their pre- illness baseline, thus increasing the need for future care. [59] [ 96 ] Newfoundland and Labrador has an aging population with Indigenous communities on the island and in Labrador.
The rural nature of the province is such that any unnecessary importation of the virus, and the resulting strain on the health care system in rural communities, must be considered in public health decision making. There are a total of 1,376 hospital beds in the province and 92 ICU beds. Despite the reduction in health care services in anticipation of COVID-19, ICU occupancy rates consistently hover between 50- 60%.
Modelling prepared for the NL Center for Health Information on 8 April 2020 shows that ICU bed capacity would be quickly overwhelmed if the province were to experience significant infection rates. [60] [ 97 ] The medical community has generally accepted that the incubation period for COVID-19 is up to 14 days with the median estimate at 5-6 days between infection and the onset of clinical symptoms. [61] [ 98 ] At this time there is no therapy to treat or prevent COVID-19.
There is no vaccine and no drug therapies approved by Health Canada. [62] In such a circumstance the first goal of pandemic planning is to minimize serious illness and death, while the second goal is to minimize societal disruptions. [63] [ 99 ] In the absence of a vaccine or treatment, health officials must rely on public health measures, (i.e. non-medical actions to reduce the spread of COVID-19) both community and personal. The goal is to identify and isolate all cases and contacts so that the virus is not spread throughout the community.
There is no one size fits all solution, as the epidemiology of the disease is different in different areas of the country. For example, Ontario and Quebec have had large outbreaks with widespread community transmission, while the Atlantic provinces have had smaller outbreaks and less community spread. [64] [ 100 ] Community spread refers to the spreading of a disease from person to person in the community. There are two general types: 1) where the source is known; 2) where the source is not known.
The latter is worrisome as it makes contact tracing more difficult and generally is an indicator of a more widespread transmission of the disease in the community. As of 9 July 2020 (the date of Dr. Fitzgerald’s Affidavit) Newfoundland and Labrador had not experienced widespread community transmission of COVID-19. 97% of cases have come from a known source. [65] [ 101 ] The Caul’s Funeral Home outbreak served as a poignant reminder of the impact infected travelers can have on the spread of the virus.
The Caul’s outbreak lasted almost a month, from 16 March to 13 April 2020, during which time 93 of the 350 persons who attended the funeral home over a three day period developed COVID-19, an attack rate of 26.6%. Four generations of transmission occurred from the attendees of the funeral home and their contacts, affecting households and several workplace settings, including healthcare, Canada Post, an IT company and a municipal para-transit facility.
There were 12 hospitalizations, including 5 ICU admissions and 2 deaths associated with the “Caul’s cluster.” Some people recovered within 10 days, while others were ill over two months [66] . [ 102 ] At the time of the travel restriction the Caul’s cluster had resolved. However, Dr. Fitzgerald explained that with a low prevalence rate of COVID-19, the biggest risk to Newfoundland and Labrador is the introduction of the disease from other jurisdictions.
At the time of the travel restriction other provinces were seeing an increase in cases of COVID-19 while this province was having success at controlling the outbreak. [ 103 ] As of 5 May 2020 seven provinces had more active COVID-19 cases than Newfoundland and Labrador, with only New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and the territories having less. On 5 May 2020 Nova Scotia had 991 cases of COVID-19 and was reporting new cases daily.
It was then in the midst of an outbreak in a long-term care facility in the Halifax metro area, as well as community outbreaks. [67] [ 104 ] Due to the sudden onset of COVID-19 there is currently a sparsity of peer-reviewed scientific literature and medical publications which specifically address the effectiveness of travel restrictions in curtailing this disease [68] . There are several studies which suggest that the exportation of the disease from China was curtailed by travel restrictions, giving health systems time to prepare and respond.
A study out of Europe showed a faster spread across Europe with unconstrained travel. [69] [ 105 ] Both the WHO and Public Health Agency of Canada have recognized that the control of importation risk is a readiness criteria for lifting public health measures in place. [70]
[106] Self-isolation can serve as on effective means of curtailing the spread of COVID-19, when people actually self-isolate. However,at the time of the travel restriction concerns had been raised by some municipalities regarding non-compliance with self-isolation orders. There was also a concern that as cases continued to rise in other parts of the country, people would travel to this province to avoidCOVID-19, thereby increasing the importation risk.
In the case of the Caul’s Funeral Home cluster the province had witnessed firsthandhow a single case could easily spread from person to person.[71] [107] Around 22 March 2020 a public reporting form was introduced, with the result that between that date and 5 May 2020 there were3,453 reports and e-mails. As a result, public health officials were made aware of 989 complaints that individuals were not complyingwith self-isolation requirements[72].
Complaints were also received from members of the House of Assembly. [108] Information received from Marine Atlantic confirmed that a number of travelers were booked with a return sail time within the 14day self-isolation period. This gave rise to a concern that tourists, in particular, were less inclined to follow this requirement. In addition,travel by itself is a high risk activity for the spread of COVID-19.[73] [109] Contact tracing is the process of identifying, assessing and managing individuals who have been exposed to a disease to preventtransmission to others.[74] [110] Dr.
Fitzgerald explained that the follow up for self-isolation involves a phone call from a regional health authority to educate thetraveler about self-isolation and to confirm that the traveler is self-isolating. As a practical matter there are human resource challenges infulfilling this mandate, leading to an “honour system.”[75] Restricting the number of persons entering the province thus allows publichealth officials to better monitor and track new arrivals, as well facilitating a more rapid response to an outbreak.
With the travelrestriction in place, public health officials can conduct contact tracing with greater ease. [111] The diagnostic test used in this province is the nucleic acid test. It involves taking a sample from the patient’s nasopharynx, orlungs, in search for genetic material from the virus.
The test is less than perfect, with a false negative between 20 and 30 percent.[76] Afalse negative can lead to a heightened sense of security, resulting in an inadvertent spread of the virus. [112] Testing alone is therefore not an effective means to combat the spread of COVID-19 and cannot be relied upon to reduceimportation risk. It is a point in time test result and can lead to a negative test in a pre-symptomatic person.[77] [113] According to Dr.
Fitzgerald an effective public health approach to controlling the spread of COVID-19 is multipronged andincludes measures such as physical distancing, quarantining those who may have been exposed, isolation of those infected, testing, therapid identification of cases and contact tracing, prohibiting mass gatherings, the closure of businesses and schools, limiting contact tothose outside of your household, and travel restrictions.
Private measures include handwashing, not touching your face, cleaning anddisinfecting high contact surfaces, physical distancing, staying home if unwell and practicing proper cough and sneeze etiquette.[78] [114] Dr. Fitzgerald explained that the public health management of COVID-19 presents as a moving target as new informationregarding this virus comes to light. Measures taken to control the spread of COVID-19, including the travel restriction, are regularlyreassessed and adjusted as necessary.
Indeed, on 3 July 2020 Newfoundland and Labrador joined an “Atlantic bubble” allowing forunrestricted travel without the need to self-isolate for asymptomatic travelers in Atlantic Canada.[79] [115] Requests for exemption from the travel restriction are reviewed by a Travel Request Exemption Team, consisting of employeesfrom the Department of Health and Community Services. The final decision is made by Dr. Fitzgerald.[80] Should the CCLA be granted Public Interest Standing? Introduction [116] On 5 August 2020, following argument, I granted the CCLA public interest standing to join with Ms.
Taylor in challenging s.28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA, as outside the legislative competence of the provincial Legislature, and the travel restriction as contrary to theCharter. At the same time I denied the CCLA public interest standing to challenge the enforcement and investigative provisions, ss.28.1 and 50(1) of the PHPPA, as contrary to the Charter. These provisions are not challenged by Ms. Taylor. My ruling with regard tostanding was with written reasons to follow. These are those reasons.
The Test for Standing [117] The grant of public interest standing is a discretionary decision in which the Court is required to weigh three considerations:whether the case raises a serious and justiciable issue; whether the party bringing the action has a real stake or a genuine interest in itsoutcome; and whether the proposed suit is a reasonable and effective means to bring the case to court (Downtown Eastside Sex WorkersUnited Against Violence Society v. Canada (Attorney General), 2012 SCC 45).
The three factors do not amount to a checklist, butshould be seen as interrelated considerations to be weighed cumulatively, rather than individually, in a purposive, flexible and generousmanner. (Downtown Eastside, at para. 53).
The onus is on the party seeking standing, the CCLA in this instance, to establish that thethree factors, applied in this manner, favour the grant of standing. [118] Limitations on standing are necessary to “ensure that courts do not become hopelessly overburdened with marginal or redundantcases, to screen out the mere “busybody” litigant, to ensure that courts have the benefit of contending points of view of those mostdirectly affected and to ensure that courts play their proper role within our democratic system of government” (Downtown Eastside, atpara. 1). [119] At the root of the law on standing is a need to strike a balance “between ensuring access to the courts and preserving judicialresources” (Downtown Eastside, at para. 23, quoting with approval from Canadian Council of Churches v.
R. (1992), (SCC), 1 S.C.R. 236, at p. 252). Section 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA and the Travel Restriction
Does the Challenge Raise a Serious and Justiciable Issue? [120] To constitute a serious issue the question must be a substantial constitutional issue, or an important one. The claim must be farfrom frivolous (Downtown Eastside, at para. 42). [121] As it relates to s. 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA and travel restriction, the Respondents accept that this proceeding raises issues that areboth serious and justiciable. I agree. There is the question of whether s. 28(1)(
h) of the PHPPA is within the legislative competence ofthe province. In addition, Ms. Taylor was directly affected by the application of this provision, as well as the travel restriction issuedpursuant to it, and has stepped forward claiming that her Charter rights were infringed when she was denied entry into this province on 8May 2020. The facts underpinning Ms. Taylor’s request to travel are detailed in her affidavit and are not contested.
Does the CCLA Have a Real Stake or Genuine Interest in the Outcome? [122] The CCLA points to its long history of interventions and litigation before Canadian courts in all manner of civil liberties cases, aswell as its ongoing work during the COVID-19 pandemic, as demonstrating its genuine interest in the issues before the Court. Its historyof involvement in such matters is detailed in the affidavit of Cara Faith Zwibel summarized, above. [123] The Respondents argue that to have a “genuine interest” the CCLA must show that it is directly impacted by the outcome of theproceeding.
According to the Respondents, it is not enough to say that the public interest litigant is “truly concerned” about the mattersraised. If this were the standard the CCLA would have the right to commence an action anywhere in Canada, at any time, as long as itinvolved civil liberties and Charter rights. [124] To illustrate this point, the Respondents observe that the CCLA is distinguishable from the organization granted standing inDowntown Eastside.
That organization was run “by and for” current and former sex trade workers living in the Vancouver DowntownEastside, and its objective included improving working conditions for female sex workers who lived and/or worked in theneighbourhood. Presumably, those running the organization would have had the right to bring the action themselves, as persons directlyaffected.
The Respondents argue that the CCLA, on the other hand, has no such direct connection, nor for that matter even a connectionto this province. [125] In support of their position the Respondents also refer to the decision of the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench in Shiell v.Amok (1987), (SK KB), 27 Admin. L.R. 1, 1987 CarswellSask 56 (Q.B.), in which it was alleged that the Minister ofEnvironment was in breach of the Environmental Assessment Act, S.S. 1979-80, c. E-10.1. The Respondents rely, in particular, on thefollowing statement by Justice Barclay (at para. 22): 22.
I am satisfied that the plaintiff does not have a direct, personal interest in the alleged improper granting of the ministerial approvalunder s. 16 of the Environmental Assessment Act. If it were sufficient for the plaintiff to be interested in the sense that she is concernedabout the environment and environmental issues then it is difficult to conceive of cases where this criteria would not be met. In myrespectful view, to be afforded standing the plaintiff must be affected in the sense that the issue has some direct impact on her.
This isclearly distinguishable from the Finlay case in which the respondent had a direct personal interest in the issue as deductions were beingmade from his cheques. [emphasis added] [126] Like the plaintiff in Shiell, the Respondents argue that while the CCLA may be concerned about the issues raised, this concern isnot such as to amount to a direct interest. [127] The CCLA responds by characterizing the Respondents’ approach as “outdated”, “rigid and stingy”.[81] The CCLA observesthat Shiell is a 1987 decision of the Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, predating the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision inDowntown Eastside and other precedents of that Court. [82] [128] I do not interpret Shiell to mean that where a constitutional challenge is pursued the protagonist must have a direct personalinterest in the outcome.
Such a proposition is to cast the net too narrowly. First of all, Shiell was not a constitutional case but in reality apublic nuisance action by a private individual against a mining company. Justice Barclay observed that “[p]ublic interest standingshould not be conferred to enable a party to sue a private individual or corporation” (at para. 19).
Second, in Downtown Eastside theCourt reiterated the need to screen out the “mere busybody” and determine whether “the plaintiff has a real state in the proceedings or isengaged with the issues they raise” [emphasis added] (Downtown Eastside, at para. 43). [129] In Canadian Council of Churches the Court held it was clear that the applicant had a genuine interest as it enjoyed “the highestpossible reputation and has demonstrated a real and continuing interest in the problems of refugees and immigrants” (at para. 39). [130] Based upon the evidence of Ms.
Zwiel, I am satisfied that the CCLA does not seek to enter the fray as a “mere busybody”. Itsinterest in the Char