r v. Galloway, 2017 NBCA 16
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 69-16-CA SARAH TRIDER APPELLANT SARAH TRIDER APPELANTE - and - - et - TRAVIS GALLOWAY RESPONDENT TRAVIS GALLOWAY INTIMÉ Trider v. Galloway, 2017 NBCA 16 Trider c.
Galloway, 2017 NBCA 16 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 2, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 2 septembre 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 155 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 155 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Appeal: [2016] N.B.J.
No. 266 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour d’appel : [2016] A.N.-B. n o 266 Appeal heard: February 27, 2017 Appel entendu : le 27 février 2017
Judgment rendered: February 27, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 27 février 2017 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: George A. McAllister, Q.C. For the respondent: Michael D. Brenton, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : George A. McAllister, c.r. Pour l’intimé : Michael D. Brenton, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by LARLEE, J.A. (Orally) [ 1 ] In the context of litigation arising from a motor vehicle accident, in which the appellant alleges having suffered from injuries including emotional and cognitive deficits, the respondent requested the appellant see a psychiatrist for a medical examination pursuant to Rule 36 of the Rules of Court . The appellant consented. In order to complete his assessment, the psychiatrist asked that the appellant undergo personality testing administered by a psychologist. The appellant refused to see the psychologist.
As a result, the respondent brought a motion requesting an order for the appellant to undergo the personality testing. A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench determined a sufficient basis for the testing had been established and so ordered. The appellant appeals this decision with leave. [ 2 ] The making of an order by a judge pursuant to Rule 36.05(2)(
c) of the Rules of Court is discretionary. A discretionary order may be interfered with on appeal only if: the order is founded upon either an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles, or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence, or if the order is unreasonable in the sense that nothing in the record can justify it: The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v. The Beaverbrook Art Gallery , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161 , at para. 4 followed in Williamson et al. v. Gillis et al. , 2011 NBCA 53 , 374 N.B.R. (2d)
311 , at paras. 13-15 ; Local 772 of the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry of the United States and Canada v. The United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry of the United States and Canada and the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry of the United States and Canada, Local 325 and Hughes and Wood , 2013 NBCA 33 , 404 N.B.R. (2d) 332 , para. 69 ; Mercer v. Cronin , 2015 NBCA 13 , 432 N.B.R. (2d) 399 , para. 1 ; Forsythe v.
Furlotte , 2016 NBCA 6 , 447 N.B.R. (2d) 48 , para. 23 and Darcon Holdings Ltd. v. J.A. MacFarlane Engineering Co ., 2016 NBCA 45 , 451 N.B.R. (2d) 208 , para. 18 . [ 3 ] Here, the motion judge referred to the pertinent case law and applied the factors to be weighed for a fair decision. There are no palpable and overriding errors in the judge’s assessment of the evidence that led to his decision. Moreover, the judge’s decision cannot be said to be unreasonable. Frankly, the decision is quite justified.
Psychological testing is specifically identified in Rule 36.05(2) as a type of further testing that may be required in order for the medical practitioner to complete his or her assessment. The psychiatrist deposed personality testing was required and his evidence was unchallenged. The appellant argues the psychiatrist had an obligation to specify all tests the psychologist would have to administer, but that is putting the cart before the horse. The psychologist says he determines the specific tests after interviewing the patient.
There is no valid basis for appellate interference in this case, and the judge’s discretionary order is therefore owed deference. [ 4 ] There is no merit to the appeal. I would dismiss it with costs of $2,500 to the respondent.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE (oralement) [1] Dans le cadre d’un litige découlant d’un accident de véhicule à moteur à l’occasion duquel l’appelante allègue avoir subi des blessures, notamment des troubles émotionnels et cognitifs, l’intimé a demandé que l’appelante consulte un psychiatre pour subir un examen médical prévu à la règle 36 des Règles de procédure . L’appelante y a consenti. Pour pouvoir terminer son évaluation, le psychiatre a demandé que l’appelante subisse des tests de personnalité chez un psychologue. L’appelante a refusé de voir le psychologue.
L’intimé a donc présenté une motion dans laquelle il sollicite une ordonnance enjoignant à l’appelante de se soumettre à des tests de personnalité. Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a conclu qu’on avait fait la preuve de motifs suffisants pour étayer la nécessité de ces tests et il a prononcé l’ordonnance en ce sens. L’appelante a obtenu l’autorisation d’interjeter appel de cette décision. [2] Le prononcé d’une ordonnance par un juge en vertu de l’alinéa 36.05(2)
c) des Règles de procédure est discrétionnaire. Une ordonnance discrétionnaire ne peut être infirmée en appel que dans les cas suivants : l’ordonnance est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve, ou encore, si elle est déraisonnable en ce sens que rien au dossier ne peut justifier pareille ordonnance : La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161 , au par. 4 , suivie dans Williamson et autre. c. Gillis et autre , 2011 NBCA 53 , 374 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 311 , aux par. 13 à 15 ;
Section locale 772 de l’Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de la plomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada c. Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de la plomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada, Association unie des compagnons et apprentis de l’industrie de la plomberie et de la tuyauterie des États-Unis et du Canada,
section locale 325, Hughes et Wood , 2013 NBCA 33 , 404 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 332 , au par. 69 ; Mercer c. Cronin , 2015 NBCA 13 , 432 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 399 , au par. 1 ; Forsythe c. Furlotte , 2016 NBCA 6 , 447 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 48 , au par. 23 ; et J.A. MacFarlane Engineering Company Limited et autre c. Darcon Holdings Ltd. et autres , 2016 NBCA 45 , 451 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 208 , au par. 18 . [3] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a cité la jurisprudence pertinente et il a appliqué les facteurs à considérer pour arriver à une décision équitable.
Le juge n’a pas commis d’erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve qui a mené à sa décision. De plus, on ne peut pas dire que la décision du juge est déraisonnable. À vrai dire, la décision est tout à fait justifiée. Les tests psychologiques sont spécifiquement nommés à la règle 36.05(2) comme étant un type de test supplémentaire qui peut être exigé pour permettre au médecin d’effectuer son examen. Le psychiatre a témoigné que les tests de personnalité étaient nécessaires et son témoignage n’a pas été contesté.
L’appelante prétend que le psychiatre avait l’obligation de lui préciser tous les tests que le psychologue allait devoir lui faire passer, mais ce faisant il aurait mis la charrue devant les bœufs. Le
psychologue dit qu’il choisit les tests particuliers après avoir rencontré le patient. Il n’y a pas de motif suffisant qui justifie l’intervention de la Cour d’appel en l’espèce. Par conséquent, l’ordonnance discrétionnaire du juge commande la déférence. [4] L’appel est sans fondement. Je suis d’avis de le rejeter avec dépens de 2 500 $ en faveur de l’intimé.