2018 NBCA 75, 2018 NBCA 75
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 55-18-CA RITA FONTAINE and RENO FONTAINE APPELLANTS RITA FONTAINE et RENO FONTAINE APPELANTS - and - - et - ROYAL BANK OF CANADA RESPONDENT BANQUE ROYALE DU CANADA INTIMÉE Fontaine et al. v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2018NBCA 75 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Fontaine et autre c.
Banque Royale du Canada, 2018NBCA 75 CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: June 1, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: Le 1er juin 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 109 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBQB 109 , 2018 NBBR 109 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: September 19, 2018 Appel entendu : le 19 septembre 2018 Judgment rendered: November 15, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 15 novembre 2018
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the Appellants: Michel C. Poirier For the Respondent : George Cooper, Q.C., and Simon-Pierre Godbout Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l'audience : Pour les appelants : Michel C. Poirier Pour l’intimée : George Cooper, c.r., et Simon-Pierre Godbout THE COURT The appeal of Rita Fontaine is allowed with costs throughout, which are fixed at $5,000. The
summary judgment issued against her is set aside. The appeal of Reno Fontaine is dismissed with costs on appeal of $2,500 payable to the Respondent. The
summary judgment against him is confirmed. LA COUR L’appel interjeté par Rita Fontaine est accueilli avec dépens dans toutes les cours, lesquels sont établis à 5 000 $. Le jugement
sommaire rendu contre elle est annulé. L’appel interjeté par Reno Fontaine est rejeté avec dépens en appel de 2 500 $ payables à l’intimée. Le jugement
sommaire rendu contre lui est confirmé. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench granted
summary judgment against Reno Fontaine and his spouse, Rita Fontaine, on the basis of the Guarantee and Postponement of Claim (“Guarantee”) they signed in the respondent bank’s favour with respect to the debts owed by Mr. Fontaine’s business (G & R Autobody Ltd.) (see Royal Bank v. G & R Autobody, Fontaine , 2018 NBQB 109 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 120 (QL) ). [ 2 ] Given the applicable standard of review and the evidential record, I unhesitatingly conclude the
summary judgment against Mr. Fontaine was justified and must stand. However, and with respect, the
summary judgment against Mrs. Fontaine must be set aside on the following grounds:
a) the judge erred in failing to draw an adverse inference from the bank’s failure to lead evidence of a “person having personal knowledge” of Mrs. Fontaine’s execution of the Guarantee (Rule 22.02(1) of the Rules of Court ); and
b) the judge misapprehended Mrs. Fontaine’s submission against
summary judgment and her evidence regarding the circumstances surrounding her execution of the Guarantee, specifically her sworn assertion that the respondent’s representative misrepresented the Guarantee as one pertaining to her business, R & R Foods Ltd. II. Context [ 3 ] G & R Autobody Ltd. is a New Brunswick corporation having its head office in Fredericton. The appellant Reno Fontaine is the sole officer, director, and shareholder of the corporation. The appellant Rita Fontaine is married to Mr.
Fontaine, and is not presently, nor has she ever been, an officer, director or shareholder of G & R Autobody Ltd. [ 4 ] G & R Autobody Ltd. had loans and accounts with the respondent Royal Bank of Canada. According to Mr. Fontaine, all were in good standing as of June 27, 2017, when RBC made demand for full payment of the indebtedness. RBC claimed Mr. and Mrs. Fontaine had both executed a Guarantee in its favour for the debts and obligations of G & R Autobody Ltd. The Guarantee was dated April 19, 2013, covering “all present and future liabilities” of G & R Autobody Ltd. up to an amount not exceeding $762,000.
The amount owing was payable on demand. A demand letter was sent to both Mr. and Mrs. Fontaine on July 24, 2017, demanding repayment of $375,486.39, the amount then due and owing by G & R Autobody Ltd. Despite RBC’s demands, G & R Autobody Ltd. and the Fontaines did not repay the amount claimed. As of May 9, 2018, the amount of $392,665.21 remained outstanding.
The Fontaines submit they never intended to provide, nor had they knowingly provided, any Guarantee to RBC for the loans of G & R Autobody Ltd. [ 5 ] On August 28, 2017, RBC filed a Notice of Action with Statement of Claim Attached against both G & R Autobody Ltd. and the Fontaines, claiming that Reno and Rita Fontaine, as principals of G & R Autobody Ltd., signed a Guarantee for the payment on demand of all of the debts of G & R Autobody Ltd. [ 6 ] On October 2, 2017, G & R Autobody Ltd. and the Fontaines filed a Statement of Defence which indicated, among other things, that Mr.
Fontaine is an officer, director and sole shareholder of G & R Autobody Ltd. and that Mrs. Fontaine was not, nor had she ever been, an officer, director, or shareholder of G & R Autobody Ltd. [ 7 ] On December 19, 2017, RBC filed a motion for
summary judgment. On June 1, 2018, following a half-day hearing, the motion judge granted RBC’s motion for
summary judgment in the amount of $392,652.21 plus costs against G & R Autobody Ltd. and the Fontaines as guarantors. [ 8 ] On June 8, 2018, the Fontaines filed their Notice of Appeal as well as a Notice of Motion for a stay of enforcement of the judgment pending determination of the appeal. The stay was granted on June 10, 2018. [ 9 ] Rita Fontaine is the owner of R & R Foods Ltd., which operates a Dixie Lee franchise in Fredericton. R & R Foods Ltd. also did its banking with RBC until July 10, 2017. Mrs. Fontaine is a shareholder, director and officer of R & R Foods Ltd.
In January 2012, R & R Foods Ltd. made lending arrangements with RBC. Mrs. Fontaine was a 50% shareholder in this corporation at that time, and pursuant to those arrangements she executed and delivered a Personal Guarantee to RBC for the loan obligations of R & R Foods Ltd. [ 10 ] In January 2013, RBC corresponded with R & R Foods Ltd. seeking renewal terms for the credit facilities which had been put in place. It was Mrs. Fontaine’s uncontradicted evidence that the Guarantee claimed by RBC to have been signed by her on April 19, 2013, was executed on an occasion when Stephen Banks of RBC attended to Mrs.
Fontaine’s place of business while she was working, serving customers. According to Mrs. Fontaine, Mr. Banks presented her with a bank document to sign which he explained, and she understood, was for the ongoing financing of R & R Foods Ltd. Mrs. Fontaine says she trusted Mr. Banks, as he had been her banker for some time, and she did not question his representation of the document. When Mr. Banks presented the document to her, it was opened to the signature page and she signed it without reading the full document.
[ 11 ] According to Mrs. Fontaine, Mr. Banks did not, at any time, discuss the option of obtaining independent legal advice prior to signing a document which could make her liable for up to $762,000.00 for the liabilities of G & R Autobody Ltd., a company in which she had no ownership or direct financial interest. Mrs. Fontaine related that neither RBC nor Mr. Banks warned her respecting the risk of executing a Personal Guarantee for G & R Autobody Ltd. [ 12 ] Mrs. Fontaine had dealt with Mr.
Banks for a number of years and she said it was not unusual for him to go to the Dixie Lee Restaurant in order to have her sign documents for R & R Foods Ltd. when necessary. Mrs. Fontaine said she had no intention to ever execute a Guarantee in RBC’s favour for the debts and liabilities of G & R Autobody Ltd. [ 13 ] All of the loans and accounts with respect to R & R Foods Ltd. held by RBC were paid out and closed by July 10, 2017. RBC agreed to release all security held for the various loans and accounts of R & R Foods Ltd. upon payment of a Visa balance. III. Analysis and Decision A.
Standard of Review on Appeal from
Summary Judgment under Rule 22 [ 14 ] Drapeau, C.J.N.B., as he then was, stated in O’Toole v. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 58 (QL) : As Justice Larlee, writing for the Court, observed in Godin v. Star-Key Enterprises and Carquest Canada , 2006 NBCA 91 , 305 N.B.R. (2d) 180 , the “standard of review applicable to each question raised on appeal is always the starting point of any appellate analysis” (para. 7). She went on to endorse the view expressed in Roy v.
Doucet , 2005 NBCA 84 , 288 N.B.R. (2d) 12 , that the merits of an appeal “stand to be assessed through the prism of the particular standard that governs the review on appeal of each question raised” (para. 13). In Hryniak v. Mauldin , the Supreme Court of Canada authoritatively settled the standard of review for each question that might be raised on appeal from a
summary judgment disposition: [...] absent an error of law, the exercise of powers under the new
summary judgment rule attracts deference. When the motion judge exercises her new fact-finding powers under Rule 20.04(2.1) and determines whether there is a genuine issue requiring a trial, this is a question of mixed fact and law. Where there is no extricable error in principle, findings of mixed fact and law should not be overturned absent palpable and overriding error: Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , at para. 36 . Similarly, the question of whether it is in the “interest of justice” for the motion judge to exercise the new fact-finding powers provided by Rule 20.04(2.1) depends on the relative evidence available at the
summary judgment motion and at trial, the nature, size, complexity and cost of the dispute and other contextual factors. Such a decision is also a question of mixed fact and law which attracts deference. Provided that it is not against the “interest of justice”, a motion judge's decision to exercise the new powers is discretionary. Thus, unless the motion judge misdirected herself, or came to a decision that is so clearly wrong that it resulted in an injustice, her decision should not be disturbed.
Of course, where the motion judge applies an incorrect principle of law, or errs with regard to a purely legal question, such as the elements that must be proved for the plaintiff to make out her cause of action, the decision will be reviewed on a correctness standard: Housen , at para.8. (paras. 81-84 ) [para. 58] B. The Merits [ 15 ] As mentioned earlier, the date indicated on the Guarantee claimed by RBC in this action – April 19, 2013 – coincides with a timeframe during which R & R Foods Ltd. was renewing terms respecting its financing with RBC and during which Stephen Banks of RBC went to see Mrs.
Fontaine at her place of business while she was serving customers. [ 16 ] The law is well settled. A guarantor may avoid liability where he or she was induced to execute the guarantee through a misrepresentation of fact, whether innocent or not, “on the part of the creditor […] where made in circumstances sufficient to affix the creditor with responsibility for that misrepresentation”: Kevin Patrick McGuinness, The Law of Guarantee , 2 nd ed. (Toronto: Carswell, 1996), at pp. 199-201, paras. 4.128 and 4.129.
[ 17 ] Mrs. Fontaine submits the motion judge should have drawn an adverse inference from the affidavit evidence of RBC on the original motion. The sole affidavit filed on its behalf was sworn by Ms. White-Smith, RBC Account Manager, Special Loans Group in Toronto. She had no personal knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the execution of the claimed Guarantee. Rule 22.02(1) provides as follows: An affidavit for use on motion for
summary judgment may be made on information and belief as provided in Rule 39.01(4), but, on the hearing of the motion, the court may draw an adverse inference from the failure of a party to provide the evidence of a person having personal knowledge of contested facts . [Emphasis added.] Dans le cadre d’une motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire, un affidavit peut faire état des renseignements que le déposant a appris ou qu’il croit être vrais, comme le prévoit la règle 39.01(4), mais, si n’est pas produit le témoignage d’une personne ayant une connaissance directe des faits contestés, la cour peut, à l’audience, en tirer une inférence défavorable . [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 18 ] RBC knew in advance of the hearing the exact issues being raised by the Fontaines in their affidavits, including Mrs.
Fontaine’s sworn assertion that she executed the Guarantee on a misrepresentation of its nature by an RBC representative, and chose not to file an affidavit of that representative, an individual with “personal knowledge of the contested facts,” to counter the evidence being submitted to the court in the affidavits of the Fontaines. [ 19 ] On the record at our disposal, Mrs.
Fontaine has established there is a genuine issue requiring a trial, namely the enforceability of the Guarantee against her. [ 20 ] With respect to the second ground of appeal, the motion judge erred in his finding of facts and his application of the law to those findings. I point to two such errors. The motion judge says at paras. 21 and 31 of his decision: In addition, Rita Fontaine says that she did not receive any explanation of the document she signed nor was it suggested that she get independent legal advice. […] Ms. Fontaine says that she did not know what she was signing when she signed the guarantee .
She also argues that because the Bank official did not suggest she have independent legal advice, she is not obligated under the guarantee. With the greatest respect, I do not believe her
interpretation of the law is correct. The authorities set out above, not referring to RBC v. Bejewel [ [2015] N.B.J. No. 307 ], clearly held that Ms. Fontaine failure to read the document she signed does not relieve her from her contractual obligations. [Emphasis added.] [ 21 ] With respect to paragraph 21 of the decision, a review of the record indicates Mrs. Fontaine did not say that “she did not receive any explanation of the document.” In fact, she said she was told it was a Guarantee which pertained to R & R Foods Ltd.’s account with RBC. Thus, the motion judge also erred in paragraph 31: Mrs.
Fontaine did not say she “did not know what she was signing when she signed the Guarantee.” She stated under oath that she understood the Guarantee was for the debts of R & R Foods Ltd., as Mr. Banks of RBC represented to her. I would therefore allow this ground of appeal. [ 22 ] I am in substantial agreement with the motion judge’s determination that on a balance of probabilities there is no genuine issue requiring a trial in respect of RBC’s action against Mr. Fontaine. I am satisfied that
summary judgment against Mr. Fontaine was properly granted in accordance with O’Toole . However, as indicated, I am satisfied the motion judge committed a reversible error in law in failing to draw an adverse inference from the failure of RBC to provide the evidence of Mr. Banks, a person who had personal knowledge of contested facts and made a palpable and overriding error in his findings of fact therefore resulting in a misapplication of the law.
IV. Conclusion and Disposition [23] I would therefore reverse the decision of the motion judge to grant
summary judgment against Mrs. Fontaine asthere is a genuine issue requiring a trial respecting her. I would award her costs throughout which I would set at $5,000. [24] While I would confirm the
summary judgment against Reno Fontaine, the motion judge’s award of costs of$7,325 must be reduced since it was directed at both Mr. and Mrs. Fontaine. Accordingly, I would substitute an award of $3,662.50 forcosts payable by Mr. Fontaine in first instance. Nevertheless, I would order he pay costs on appeal in the amount of $2,500. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rendu un jugement
sommaire contre Reno Fontaineet sa conjointe, Rita Fontaine, sur le fondement de la garantie et subordination de réclamation (la « garantie ») qu’ils ont signée en faveurde la banque intimée à l’égard des dettes de l’entreprise de M. Fontaine (G & R Autobody Ltd.) (voir Royal Bank c. G & R Autobody, Fontaine, 2018 NBQB 109 , 2018 NBBR 109, [2018] A.N.-B. no 120 (QL)). [2] Compte tenu de la norme de contrôle applicable et du dossier de la preuve, je conclus sanshésiter que le jugement
sommaire rendu contre M. Fontaine était justifié et doit être maintenu. Cependant, et avec égards, le jugement
sommaire rendu contre Mme Fontaine doit être annulé pour les motifs suivants : i. le juge a commis une erreur en omettant de tirer une inférence défavorable du défaut de la banque de produire le témoignage d’une « personne ayant une connaissance directe » de la signature de la garantie par Mme Fontaine(règle 22.02(1) des Règles de procédure); ii. le juge a mal apprécié les prétentions de Mme Fontaine pour que soit refusé le jugement
sommaire et a malinterprété la preuve qu’elle a présentée au sujet des circonstances dans lesquelles elle a signé la garantie, plus précisément sonaffirmation faite sous serment selon laquelle le représentant de l’intimée lui avait représenté faussement que la garantie se rapportait àson entreprise à elle, R & R Foods Ltd. II. Contexte [3] G & R Autobody Ltd. est une corporation du Nouveau-Brunswick dont le siège social est àFredericton. L’appelant Reno Fontaine en est l’unique dirigeant, administrateur et actionnaire. L’appelante Rita Fontaine est mariée àM. Fontaine et elle n’est pas actuellement, ni n’a jamais été, dirigeante, administratrice ou actionnaire de G & R Autobody Ltd.
[4] G & R Autobody Ltd. avait des comptes et des emprunts auprès de l’intimée, la Banque Royale du Canada (ci-après la « RBC »). Selon M. Fontaine, ces comptes et emprunts étaient tous en règle au 27 juin 2017, date où la RBC a demandé le paiement intégral de la dette. La RBC a prétendu que M. et M me Fontaine avaient tous deux signé une garantie en sa faveur à l’égard des dettes et obligations de G & R Autobody Ltd. La garantie, qui était datée du 19 avril 2013, couvrait [TRADUCTION] « l’ensemble des obligations actuelles et futures » de G & R Autobody Ltd., jusqu’à concurrence de 762 000 $.
La somme due était payable sur demande. Une demande de remboursement de la somme de 375 486,39 $, la somme alors due par G & R Autobody Ltd., a été envoyée à M. et M me Fontaine le 24 juillet
Malgré les demandes de la RBC, ni G & R Autobody Ltd. ni les Fontaine n’ont remboursé le montant réclamé. Au 9 mai 2018, la somme de 392 665,21 $ demeurait en souffrance.
Les Fontaine prétendent n’avoir jamais eu l’intention de donner et n’avoir jamais sciemment donné de garantie à la RBC à l’égard des emprunts de G & R Autobody Ltd. [5] Le 28 août 2017, la RBC a déposé un avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande contre à la fois G & R Autobody Ltd. et les Fontaine et a prétendu que Reno et Rita Fontaine, en qualité de principaux responsables de G & R Autobody Ltd., avaient signé une garantie du paiement de l’ensemble des dettes de G & R Autobody Ltd. [6] Le 2 octobre 2017, G & R Autobody Ltd. et les Fontaine ont déposé un exposé de la défense dans lequel il était indiqué, notamment, que M.
Fontaine est un dirigeant et administrateur de G & R Autobody Ltd. et son unique actionnaire et que M me Fontaine n’était pas ni n’avait jamais été dirigeante, administratrice ou actionnaire de G & R Autobody Ltd. [7] Le 19 décembre 2017, la RBC a déposé une motion en jugement
sommaire. Le 1 er juin 2018, à l’issue d’une audience d’une demi-journée, le juge saisi de la motion a accueilli la motion de la RBC visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire pour la somme de 392 652,21 $, dépens en sus, à l’encontre de G & R Autobody Ltd. et des Fontaine en tant que garants. [8] Le 8 juin 2018, les Fontaine ont déposé leur avis d’appel ainsi qu’un avis de motion en suspension de l’exécution forcée en attendant le règlement de l’appel. La suspension a été accordée le 10 juin 2018. [9] Rita Fontaine est la propriétaire de R & R Foods Ltd., qui exploite une franchise de Dixie Lee à Fredericton. R & R Foods Ltd. effectuait aussi ses opérations bancaires avec la RBC jusqu’au 10 juillet 2017.
M me Fontaine est une actionnaire, administratrice et dirigeante de R & R Foods Ltd. En janvier 2012, R & R Foods Ltd. a pris des arrangements pour un prêt auprès de la RBC. À cette époque, M me Fontaine détenait 50 % des actions de cette corporation et, en conformité avec ces arrangements, elle a signé et remis une garantie personnelle à la RBC à l’égard du prêt de R & R Foods Ltd. [10] En janvier 2013, la RBC a communiqué par écrit avec R & R Foods Ltd. : elle cherchait à établir les conditions du renouvellement des facilités de crédit qui avaient été mises en œuvre.
Selon le témoignage non contredit de M me Fontaine, la garantie qui, prétend la RBC, aurait été signée par elle le 19 avril 2013 a été signée à un moment où Stephen Banks, de la RBC, s’est présenté à son lieu d’affaires pendant qu’elle travaillait, c’est-à-dire qu’elle servait des clients. D’après M me Fontaine, M. Banks lui a présenté un document bancaire à signer, document qui, lui a-t-il expliqué et a-t-elle compris, visait le financement continu de R & R Foods Ltd. M me Fontaine dit avoir fait confiance à M.
Banks, qui était son banquier depuis un certain temps, et ne pas avoir remis en question son assertion quant au document. Lorsque M. Banks lui a présenté le document, il était ouvert à la page des signatures et elle l’a signé sans le lire intégralement. [11] Selon M me Fontaine, M.
Banks n’a à aucun moment discuté de la possibilité qu’elle obtienne des conseils juridiques indépendants avant de signer un document qui puisse la rendre redevable d’une somme pouvant s’élever jusqu’à 762 000 $ pour les obligations de G & R Autobody Ltd., une compagnie dans laquelle elle n’avait aucune part ni aucun intérêt financier direct. M me Fontaine a relaté que ni la RBC ni M. Banks ne l’a prévenue au sujet des risques afférents à la signature d’une garantie personnelle pour le compte de G & R Autobody Ltd. [12] M me Fontaine avait traité avec M.
Banks pendant plusieurs années et elle a dit qu’il n’était pas inhabituel qu’il se rende au restaurant Dixie Lee afin de lui faire signer des documents pour R & R Foods Ltd. au besoin. Elle dit ne jamais avoir eu l’intention de signer une garantie en faveur de la RBC à l’égard des dettes et obligations de G & R Autobody Ltd. [13] Tous les emprunts et comptes de la R & R Foods Ltd. auprès de la RBC ont été remboursés et
fermés au plus tard le 10 juillet 2017. La RBC a accepté d’accorder mainlevée de toutes les sûretés détenues pour les divers prêts et comptes consentis à R & R Foods Ltd. dès remboursement du solde d’un compte Visa. III. Analyse et décision A. Norme de contrôle en appel d’un jugement
sommaire rendu sous le régime de la règle 22 [14] Le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., tel était alors son titre, a déclaré ce qui suit dans O’Toole c. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 58 (QL) : Comme l’a fait remarquer la juge Larlee dans l’arrêt Godin c. Star-Key Enterprises et Carquest Canada , 2006 NBCA 91 , 305 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 180 , en rendant jugement au nom de notre Cour : « Toute analyse effectuée par la Cour d’appel a comme point de départ la norme de contrôle applicable à chaque question soulevée en appel » (par. 7). Elle a ensuite souscrit à l’avis exprimé dans l’arrêt Roy c.
Doucet , 2005 NBCA 84 , 288 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 12 , selon lequel le bien-fondé de l’appel « doit être évalué à la lumière de la norme précise qui régit l’examen en appel de chaque question soulevée » (par. 13). Dans l’arrêt Hryniak c. Mauldin , la Cour suprême du Canada a établi péremptoirement la norme de contrôle applicable pour chaque question susceptible d’être soulevée dans un appel d’une décision rendue sur une motion en jugement
sommaire : […] en l’absence d’une erreur de droit, l’exercice des pouvoirs que confère la nouvelle règle relative au jugement
sommaire commande la retenue. Lorsque le juge saisi d’une requête exerce ses nouveaux pouvoirs en matière de recherche des faits, que lui confère le par. 20.04(2.1) des Règles, et détermine s’il existe une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès, il s’agit d’une question mixte de fait et de droit. Lorsqu’il n’y a aucune erreur de principe isolable, les conclusions mixtes de fait et de droit ne doivent pas être infirmées en l’absence d’erreur manifeste et dominante : Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , par. 36 .
De même, la réponse à la question de savoir s’il est dans « l’intérêt de la justice » que le juge saisi d’une requête exerce les nouveaux pouvoirs en matière de recherche des faits prévus au par. 20.04(2.1) des Règles dépend de la preuve relative présentée lors de l’audition de la requête en jugement
sommaire et au procès, de la nature, de l’envergure, de la complexité et du coût du litige, ainsi que d’autres facteurs contextuels. Cette décision constitue également une question mixte de fait et de droit qui commande la retenue. Pourvu qu’elle ne soit pas contraire à « l’intérêt de la justice », la décision du juge saisi d’une requête d’exercer les nouveaux pouvoirs est de nature discrétionnaire. Par conséquent, à moins que le juge ne se soit fondé sur des considérations erronées ou que sa décision soit erronée au point de créer une injustice, il n’y a pas lieu de modifier sa décision.
Évidemment, si le juge saisi d’une requête applique un mauvais principe de droit ou fait erreur relativement à une pure question de droit, comme les éléments dont le demandeur doit prouver l’existence pour établir sa cause d’action, la norme de contrôle applicable sera celle de la décision correcte : Housen , par. 8 . (par. 81 à 84) [par. 58] B.
Examen au fond [15] Comme je l’ai mentionné précédemment, la date indiquée sur la garantie invoquée par la RBC dans la présente action, soit le 19 avril 2013, coïncide avec une période pendant laquelle R & R Foods Ltd. renouvelait les conditions de son financement auprès de la RBC et au cours de laquelle Stephen Banks, de la RBC, est allé voir M me Fontaine à son lieu d’affaires pendant qu’elle servait des clients.
[16] Il est bien établi en droit qu’un garant peut éviter d’engager sa responsabilité lorsqu’on l’a induit à signer la garantie par une assertion factuelle inexacte, faite innocemment ou non, [TRADUCTION] « de la part du créancier […] lorsqu’elle est faite dans des circonstances qui suffisent pour attribuer la responsabilité de l’assertion inexacte au créancier » : Kevin Patrick McGuinness, The Law of Guarantee , 2 e éd. (Toronto : Carswell, 1996), aux p. 199 à 201, par. 4.128 et 4.129. [17] M me Fontaine soutient que le juge saisi de la motion aurait dû tirer une inférence défavorable de la preuve par affidavit de la RBC au moment de trancher la motion initiale.
Le seul affidavit déposé pour son compte a été souscrit par M me White-Smith, directrice des comptes auprès de la RBC, groupe des Prêts spéciaux à Toronto. Elle n’avait aucune connaissance personnelle des circonstances de la signature de la garantie invoquée. La règle 22.02(1) prévoit ce qui suit : An affidavit for use on motion for
summary judgment may be made on information and belief as provided in Rule 39.01(4), but, on the hearing of the motion, the court may draw an adverse inference from the failure of a party to provide the evidence of a person having personal knowledge of contested facts . [Emphasis added.] Dans le cadre d’une motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire, un affidavit peut faire état des renseignements que le déposant a appris ou qu’il croit être vrais, comme le prévoit la règle 39.01(4), mais, si n’est pas produit le témoignage d’une personne ayant une connaissance directe des faits contestés, la cour peut, à l’audience, en tirer une inférence défavorable . [C’est moi qui souligne.] [18] La RBC connaissait, avant la tenue de l’audience, les questions exactes qui étaient soulevées dans les affidavits des Fontaine, y compris l’assertion de M me Fontaine faite sous serment selon laquelle elle avait signé la garantie après qu’un représentant de la RBC lui ait fait une assertion inexacte quant à sa nature, et elle a choisi de ne pas déposer un affidavit souscrit par ce représentant, une personne « ayant une connaissance directe des faits contestés », pour réfuter la preuve présentée à la cour dans l’affidavit des Fontaine. [19] D’après le dossier de la preuve dont nous disposons, M me Fontaine a établi qu’il existe une véritable question en litige qui nécessite la tenue d’un procès, soit celle de la force exécutoire de la garantie à son encontre. [20] Pour ce qui est du deuxième moyen d’appel, le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur dans ses conclusions de fait et dans son application du droit à ces conclusions.
Je mentionne deux de ces erreurs. Aux par. 21 et 31 de sa décision, il dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] En outre, Rita Fontaine affirme n’avoir reçu aucune explication au sujet du document qu’elle a signé et on ne lui a pas proposé d’obtenir des conseils juridiques indépendants. […] M me Fontaine dit que lorsqu’elle a signé la garantie, elle ne savait pas ce qu’elle signait . Elle prétend aussi que puisque le représentant de la banque ne lui a pas proposé d’obtenir des conseils juridiques indépendants, la garantie ne lui impose aucune obligation. Avec égards, j’estime que son interprétation du droit est erronée.
Les précédents énoncés ci-dessus, sauf pour RBC c. Bejewel , [ [2015] A.N.-B. n o 307 ], indiquent clairement que le défaut pour M me Fontaine de lire le document qu’elle a signé ne la libère pas de ses obligations contractuelles. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [21] Pour ce qui est du par. 21 de la décision, un examen du dossier indique que M me Fontaine n’a pas dit [TRADUCTION] « n’avoir reçu aucune explication au sujet du document ». En fait, elle dit qu’on lui a indiqué qu’il s’agissait d’une garantie qui se rapportait au compte de R & R Foods Ltd. auprès de la RBC.
Par conséquent, le juge saisi de la motion a aussi commis une erreur au par. 31 : M me Fontaine n’a pas dit que [TRADUCTION] « lorsqu’elle a signé la garantie, elle ne savait pas ce
qu’elle signait ». Elle a déclaré sous serment qu’elle comprenait que la garantie se rapportait aux dettes de R & R Foods Ltd., ce que M. Banks, de la RBC, lui avait affirmé. En conséquence, j’accueillerais ce moyen d’appel. [22] Je souscris pour l’essentiel à la décision du juge saisi de la motion suivant laquelle, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, il n’existe aucune véritable question en litige qui nécessite la tenue d’un procès pour ce qui est de l’action de la RBC intentée à M. Fontaine. Je suis convaincue que le jugement
sommaire rendu contre M. Fontaine a été accordé régulièrement conformément à l’ arrêt O’Toole . Cependant, comme je l’ai indiqué, je suis convaincue que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit susceptible de révision lorsqu’il a omis de tirer une inférence défavorable du défaut de la RBC de présenter le témoignage de M. Banks, une personne ayant une connaissance directe des faits contestés, et qu’il a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante dans ses conclusions de fait, erreur ayant mené à une mauvaise application du droit. IV. Conclusion et dispositif [23] Par conséquent, je suis d’avis d’infirmer la décision du juge saisi de la motion d’accorder un jugement
sommaire à l’encontre de M me Fontaine puisqu’il existe une véritable question en litige qui nécessite la tenue d’un procès à son égard. Je lui accorderais des dépens dans toutes les cours, que j’établirais à 5 000 $. [24] Bien que je sois d’avis de confirmer le jugement
sommaire rendu contre Reno Fontaine, il y a lieu de réduire l’attribution de dépens de 7 325 $ puisqu’elle visait à la fois M. et M me Fontaine. Par conséquent, je substituerais des dépens de 3 662,50 $ aux dépens auxquels M. Fontaine a été condamné en première instance. Cependant, je lui ordonnerais de payer des dépens de 2 500 $ en appel.