2018 NBCA 11, 2018 NBCA 11
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 76-17-CA TERRY BURNS APPELLANT TERRY BURNS APPELANT - and - - et - UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK RESPONDENT UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK INTIMÉE Burns v. University of New Brunswick, 2018 NBCA11 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Burns c.
University of New Brunswick, 2018 NBCA11 CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: May 19, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 19 mai 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 104 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBQB 104 , 2017 NBBR 104 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 17, 2018 Appel entendu : le 17 janvier 2018 Judgment rendered: January 17, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 17 janvier 2018
Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Kelly A. Lamrock, Q.C. For the respondent: Clarence L. Bennett Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant: Kelly A. Lamrock, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Clarence L. Bennett Lara J. Greenough THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,500. Lara J. Greenough LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 500 $. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT (Orally) [1] The underlying action is for damages for termination of employment without reasonable notice.
The key issueat trial was whether the appellant was a contract term employee or an indefinite hire employee. [2] The trial judge found the appellant was a contract term employee (Burns v. University of New Brunswick,2017 NBQB 104, [2017] N.B.J. No. 119 (QL)). The case is, therefore, distinguishable from Saunders v. Fredericton Golf & CurlingClub Inc. (1994), (NB CA), 151 N.B.R. (2d) 184, [1994] N.B.J. No. 291 (C.A.) (QL); and Savoie v. Chiasson, 2000NBCA 56, 231 N.B.R. (2d) 378. In Savoie, the Court explains: [TRANSLATION] The respondents recognize that Mr.
Savoie was one of their employees at the time of his dismissal. They also admit that Mr. Savoie’semployment was permanent although he worked on a seasonal basis. The trial judge expressed the opinion that Mr. Savoie’semployment was of indefinite duration although he worked on a seasonal basis only. […] [para. 14] This is not the situation in the case before us. [3] As we have underscored on numerous occasions, we are not at liberty to intervene on the basis of a differentassessment of the weight to be attributed to the various items of evidence and the factors of influence in the decision-making at firstinstance.
Our mandate precludes intervention absent reversible error on the part of the trial judge. The appellant invites us to reweigh theevidence and the factors that bore upon the determination of the key issue at trial.
[4] A review of the record reveals the trial judge did not commit any palpable and overriding error in reachingher conclusion. As she noted “an employee whose contract is not renewed at the conclusion of a fixed term contract is not entitled toreasonable notice” (para. 17). [5] We agree. As a contract term employee, the appellant was not entitled to “reasonable notice” of termination.His term contract simply terminated on the date prescribed and the respondent was not under any obligation to rehire him. The appeal isdismissed with costs of $3,500.
Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR (oralement) [1] L’action sous-jacente est une action en dommages-intérêts pour cessation d’emploi sanspréavis raisonnable. La question-clé au procès était celle de savoir si l’appelant était un employé sous contrat à durée déterminée ou sison emploi était de durée indéterminée. [2] La juge du procès a conclu que l’appelant était un employé sous contrat à durée déterminée (Burns c. University of New Brunswick, 2017 NBQB 104 , 2017 NBBR 104, [2017] A.N.-B. no 119 (QL)). L’affaire se distingue donc de l’arrêt Saunders c.
Fredericton Golf and Curling Club Inc. (1994), (NB CA), 151 R.N.-B. (2e) 184, [1994] A.N.-B. no 291 (C.A.) (QL), et Savoie c. Chiasson et Chalutier C.R.R. Ltée, 2000 NBCA 56, 231 R.N.-B. (2e) 378. DansSavoie, la Cour explique : Les intimés reconnaissent que M. Savoie était un de leurs employés au moment de son congédiement. Ils avouent également quel’emploi de M. Savoie était permanent même s’il travaillait sur une base saisonnière. Le juge du procès a exprimé l’avis que l’emploi deM.
Savoie était pour une période indéterminée, même s’il ne travaillait que sur une base saisonnière. […]. [par. 14] La situation n’est pas la même en l’espèce. [3] Comme nous l’avons souligné à maintes reprises, il n’est pas loisible à notre Cour d’intervenirsur le fondement d’une appréciation différente de la force probante des divers éléments de preuve et des facteurs qui ont influé sur ladécision de première instance. Notre mandat nous permet seulement d’intervenir si la juge du procès a commis une erreur justifiantl’infirmation de sa décision.
L’appelant nous demande d’apprécier de nouveau la preuve ainsi que les facteurs qui ont influé sur ladécision prise relativement à la question-clé au procès. [4] L’examen du dossier révèle que la juge du procès n’a commis aucune erreur manifeste etdominante en arrivant à sa conclusion. Comme elle l’a fait remarquer, [TRADUCTION] « un employé dont le contrat n’est pas renouveléà l’expiration du terme fixe établi dans le contrat n’a pas le droit à un préavis raisonnable » (par. 17). [5] Nous sommes du même avis.
En tant qu’employé sous contrat à durée déterminée, l’appelantn’avait pas droit à un « préavis raisonnable » de cessation d’emploi. Son contrat d’emploi à durée déterminée expirait tout simplement àla date fixée et l’intimée n’était aucunement tenue de l’embaucher de nouveau. L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 500 $.