2016 NBCA 38, 2016 NBCA 38
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 1-13-CA BRIAN HALL and DENIS HALL APPELLANTS BRIAN HALL et DENIS HALL APPELANTS - and - - et - MARIE BERNISE SAVOIE, TRUSTEE OF THEESTATE OF MICHEL GUIGNARD RESPONDENT MARIE BERNISE SAVOIE, CURATRICE DE LASUCCESSION DE MICHEL GUIGNARD INTIMÉE Hall v. Guignard, 2016 NBCA 38 Hall c.
Guignard, 2016 NBCA 38 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Drapeau l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: December 7, 2012 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 7 décembre 2012 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2013 NBQB 7 Décision frappée d’appel : 2013 NBQB 7 , 2013 NBBR 7 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Appeal: [2013] N.B.J.
No. 184 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour d’appel : [2013] A.N.-B. no 184 Appeal heard: June 21, 2016 Appel entendu : Le 21 juin 2016
Judgment rendered: June 21, 2016 Jugement rendu : le 21 juin 2016 Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Yassin Choukri, Q.C. For the respondent: Richard J. Scott, Q.C. and Brian Perry Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Yassin Choukri, c.r. Pour l’intimé : Richard J. Scott, c.r., et Brian Perry THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT (Orally) [ 1 ] It will not be necessary to hear from counsel for the respondent.
Having carefully reviewed the record and considered the written representations of the parties and, despite the able submission of counsel for the appellants, we are not persuaded the trial judge’s detailed reasons for decision feature any error of law or fact or mixed law and fact that would justify intervention in respect of the two impugned determinations: (1) the rejection of the seat-belt defence; and (2) the assessment of past and future loss of income as a professional tattoo artist.
Specifically, the appellants have not shown they were prejudiced to any material extent by the procedures followed at trial and to which objection is taken on appeal. [ 2 ] In our respectful opinion, there is some evidence to support each of the trial judge’s contested findings of fact and credibility (see Guignard v. Hall , 2013 NBQB 7 , 408 N.B.R. (2d) 1, and Guignard v. Hall , 2013 NBQB 293 , [2013] N.B.J. No. 290 (QL)).
Thus, while there is support in the evidential record for various theories, including the ones pressed by the appellants, it was up to the trial judge to sort things out and make the findings of credibility and fact he considered were warranted on a balance of probabilities. Re-trying cases is not within our mandate. [ 3 ] Accordingly, the appeal is dismissed with costs of $22,425, in accordance with Note 1 at the bottom of Tariff “A” in Rule 59 of the Rules of Court (40% of $56,062.50, the costs awarded in the court below).
Version française du jugement rendu par LA COUR (oralement) [1] Il ne sera pas nécessaire d’entendre les avocats de l’intimé. Après avoir examiné
soigneusement le dossier et avoir tenu compte des observations écrites des parties, et malgré l’excellente plaidoirie de l’avocat desappelants, nous ne sommes pas convaincus que les motifs de décision détaillés du juge du procès contiennent une erreur de droit, uneerreur de fait ou une erreur mixte de droit et de fait qui justifierait l’intervention de notre Cour concernant les deux décisions contestées :1) le rejet de la défense fondée sur l’omission de porter la ceinture de sécurité; 2) l’évaluation de la perte actuelle et future de revenuscomme tatoueur professionnel.
Plus particulièrement, les appelants n’ont pas montré qu’ils auraient subi quelque préjudice notable parsuite de la procédure suivie au procès et contestée en appel. [2] Avec égards, nous sommes d’avis qu’il existe des preuves à l’appui de chacune desconclusions de fait et des conclusions sur la crédibilité tirées par le juge du procès et qui sont contestées en appel (voir Guignard c. Hall, 2013 NBQB 7 , 2013 NBBR 7, 408 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, et Guignard c. Hall, 2013 NBBR 293, [2013] A.N.-B. no 290 (QL)).
Alors,bien que le dossier de la preuve appuie diverses théories, y compris celles que plaident les appelants, il appartenait au juge du procès defaire la part des choses et de tirer les conclusions sur la crédibilité qu’il considérait justifiées selon la prépondérance des probabilités. LaCour d’appel n’a pas le mandat d’instruire les affaires de nouveau. [3] En conséquence, l’appel est rejeté avec des dépens de 22 425 $, conformément à la note 1 aubas du tarif A de la règle 59 des Règles de procédure (40 % de 56 062,50 $, montant des dépens accordés en première instance.