2022 QCCA 413, 2022 QCCA 413
Opinion
De Leto c. R. 2022 QCCA 413 COURT OF APPEAL CANADA PROVINCE OF QUEBEC REGISTRY OF MONTREAL No: 500-10-007051-194 (750-01-048730-160) DATE: 24 March 2022 CORAM: THE HONOURABLE GENEVIÈVE MARCOTTE, J.A. PATRICK HEALY, J.A. GUY COURNOYER, J.A. GIUSEPPE DE LETO APPELLANT – Accused v.
HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT – Prosecutor JUDGMENT [ 1 ] This is an appeal against guilty verdicts returned by a jury on 20 March 2019 before the Honourable André Vincent, J.S.C., District of Saint-Hyacinthe, on two counts of conspiracy to murder Martin Bélair and Nancy Beaulieu and two counts of first-degree murder in their shooting deaths on 6 January 2015. [ 2 ] For the reasons of Healy JA, with which Marcotte and Cournoyer JJ.A. agree, the Court: [ 3 ] GRANTS the motion for leave to appeal on a mixed question of fact and law; [ 4 ] DISMISSES the appeal. GENEVIÈVE MARCOTTE, J.A. PATRICK HEALY, J.A.
GUY COURNOYER, J.A. Mtre Marc Labelle LABELLE, CÔTÉ, TABAH & ASSOCIÉS For the Appellant Mtre Maxime Hébrard DIRECTOR OF CRIMINAL AND PENAL PROSECUTIONS For the Respondent Date of hearing: 17 November 2020
REASONS OF HEALY, J.A.
INTRODUCTION [ 5 ] This is an appeal against guilty verdicts returned by a jury before the Honourable André Vincent, J.S.C. [1] on two counts of conspiracy to murder Martin Bélair and Nancy Beaulieu [2] and two counts of first-degree murder [3] in their shooting deaths on 6 January 2015. [ 6 ] The eight grounds advanced by the appellant can be formulated as four. [4] The first three chiefly concern the adequacy of the judge’s instructions to the jury and will be considered in Sections 2.1 – 2.3: 2.1 Did the prosecution improperly address the jury by suggesting that the appellant had a burden with respect to his defence and suggesting that an adverse inference of guilt should be drawn from his failure to call certain witnesses, and did the judge err in failing to make clear that no adverse inference should be drawn from the appellant’s failure to call those witnesses? 2.2 Did the trial judge err by failing in his final directions to give a cautionary instruction based on Starr and, further did the judge err in failing to give such an instruction in response to the second question submitted by the jury? 2.3 Did the trial judge err in his recharge concerning the jury’s first question by restating his initial instructions, and did the judge err in the same manner with respect to the jury’s second question and by giving further instruction on the modes of participation and by failing to provide further instruction on the burden and standard of proof? [ 7 ] The remaining two grounds concern the sufficiency of evidence and will be considered in
Section 2.4: 2.4 Did the trial judge err in dismissing the appellant’s motion for directed verdict and, further, was the jury’s verdict unreasonable? 1. Factual context [ 8 ] The evidence was entirely circumstantial. The respondent expresses general agreement [5] with the
summary provided in the appellant’s factum : 4. Le 1er juillet 2014, Martin Bélair et son ami d’enfance Simon Desrochers acquièrent en copropriété le bar de danseuses nues Cabaret Flamingo (ci-après « le bar ») à Saint-Hyacinthe pour un montant de 200,000.00 dollars. Nancy Beaulieu en est alors la gérante. À cette époque, Martin Bélair et Nancy Beaulieu entretiennent une liaison amoureuse; 5. Au moment de cette acquisition, l’appelant est déjà un client régulier du bar et y dépense beaucoup d’argent.
À plusieurs occasions, il se présente au bar avec son complice allégué, Francis Yergeau, qui est un ami et collègue de travail de l’appelant. Tous deux travaillent à la cimenterie Groupe MBM (ci-après « la cimenterie ») à Acton Vale; 6. Dès l’achat du bar par Simon Desrochers et Martin Bélair, l’appelant se lie d’amitié avec ce dernier ainsi qu’avec Nancy Beaulieu, qui considère l’appelant comme son frère. Entre le mois de juillet 2014 et le mois de janvier 2015, l’appelant les côtoie de façon régulière, au bar comme ailleurs.
Lorsqu’ils font la fête, Martin Bélair et l’appelant ont l’habitude de consommer beaucoup d’alcool; 7. Martin Bélair consomme également de la cocaïne de façon régulière, chose qu’il ne faisait pas avant l’acquisition du bar. Selon Pierre Lemieux qui est portier au Cabaret Flamingo , Martin Bélair consomme cette drogue à tous les soirs. Les employés du bar constatent également qu’à compter du changement de propriétaires en juillet 2014, un revendeur est désormais attitré à la vente de stupéfiants à l’intérieur du bar; 8. Martin Bélair œuvre également dans la culture et la vente de cannabis depuis plusieurs années.
Il engage notamment des immigrants pour travailler sur ses plantations de cannabis et loue une grange afin d’y travailler ses récoltes; 9. L’appelant, quant à lui, s’intéresse plutôt au commerce illégal d’armes à feu. À l’automne 2014, l’appelant possède notamment une arme à feu semi-automatique de type TEC-9. Connaissant l’expérience passée de Pierre Lemieux dans l’unité d’infanterie des Forces armées canadiennes, l’appelant lui demande de le rejoindre à la cimenterie afin de vérifier le bon fonctionnement de l’arme à feu.
Un jour de fin de semaine, Pierre Lemieux rejoint l’appelant et Francis Yergeau qui sont seuls à la cimenterie. Il tire alors une rafale de quatre (4) ou cinq (5) balles jusqu’à ce que l’arme s’enraye. Par la suite, Francis Yergeau essaye l’arme à son tour; 10. Considérant l’intérêt de l’appelant envers les armes à feu, Martin Bélair suggère éventuellement à ce dernier de consulter son ami Patrick Bélanger (ci-après « Ti-Rouge »), un passionné de chasse et d’armes à feu.
Alors que la discussion initiale entre l’appelant et Ti- Rouge porte surtout sur les armes de chasse, celle-ci diverge après quelques semaines vers l’intérêt de l’appelant à se procurer des armes à feu illégales, telles que des mitraillettes et des AK-47; 11. Après un certain temps, l’appelant insiste pour que Ti-Rouge lui procure des armes à feu de type AK-47, mais en vain. Le 27 décembre 2014, se sentant obligé d’aider l’appelant, Ti-Rouge accompagne celui-ci et Francis Yergeau en Ontario afin d’acheter une arme à l’aide de son permis d’armes à feu.
Les trois hommes se rendent d’abord dans un magasin SAIL du Québec et achètent environ 1,500 munitions pour le AK-47 que l’appelant possède déjà. Ils se rendent ensuite au magasin Le Baron , en Ontario, et y achètent une arme à feu de calibre 12 et quatre (4) à six (6) boîtes de cinq (5) munitions de marque Remington . Ils s’arrêtent finalement au Canadian Tire (ou au Zellers ), en Ontario, afin d’acheter cette même quantité de munitions de calibre 12;
12. De retour au Québec, les trois hommes se rendent à la cimenterie afin d’assembler la nouvelle arme à feu et d’effacer ses numéros de série. L’appelant exige également que Ti-Rouge essaye l’arme à feu à l’intérieur de la cimenterie. Après qu’il ait tiré à deux (2) reprises, c’est au tour de l’appelant de tirer avec l’arme à plus ou moins trois (3) reprises. Les hommes quittent ensuite pour se retrouver en soirée au restaurant de Martin Bériault, l’ancien propriétaire du bar Cabaret Flamingo . Ti-Rouge est également payé pour le service rendu; 13.
Le 31 décembre 2014, l’appelant rejoint Martin Bélair et Nancy Beaulieu dans un bar de Joliette afin de fêter le jour de l’An entre amis; 14. Le 6 janvier 2015, vers 10 heures du matin, Martin Bélair rejoint Simon Desrochers à Joliette afin de lui remettre des chèques. Il lui dit alors devoir rencontrer l’appelant à 18 heures, sur la Rive-sud. Vers 11 heures du matin, Martin Bélair se rend à Saint-Zénon avec son ami Tommy Ferguson afin d’aller payer Normand Samson, propriétaire de la grange où il entrepose et travaille ses récoltes de cannabis.
À cette occasion, Martin Bélair dit à Tommy Ferguson avoir fait la fête avec l’appelant la veille et avoir consommé de la cocaïne. Vers 15 heures, les deux hommes sont de retour à Saint-Ambroise-de-Kildare. Martin Bélair doit alors quitter pour la Rive-sud, disant avoir quelque chose à finaliser avec l’appelant; 15. Ce rendez-vous sur la Rive-sud avec l’appelant consiste en réalité en une transaction de stupéfiants. Peu de temps avant, Nancy Beaulieu confie effectivement à Jean-Frédérick Martin, disc-jockey au bar Cabaret Flamingo, qu’une telle transaction doit avoir lieu entre l’appelant et Martin Bélair; 16.
Quant à l’appelant et à Francis Yergeau, ceux-ci se rendent vers 13 heures 35 minutes, le 6 janvier 2015, au magasin Canadian Tire de Saint-Hyacinthe pour y acheter deux (2) lots de corde blanche et bleue en polypropylène. Ceux-ci se dirigent ensuite au magasin Walmart voisin pour y acheter deux (2) draps gris de marque Mainstays ; 17. L’appelant se rend également vers 18 heures à la succursale Discount de Saint-Hyacinthe afin d’échanger son véhicule de location Ford F-150 noir pour un véhicule Chevrolet Suburban blanc.
La location se fait au nom de Francis Yergeau, comme c’est le cas pour toutes les locations des deux hommes depuis l’automne 2012. Lors du retour du véhicule vers 10 heures 58 minutes, le 7 janvier 2015, une différence de 450 kilomètres est notée à l’odomètre du véhicule; 18. À minuit 18 minutes, le 7 janvier 2015, les bandes vidéo des caméras de surveillance de l’entreprise Canplex , à Mascouche, montrent le camion de Martin Bélair suivi d’un camion blanc s’apparentant à un Suburban s’immobiliser sur le terrain de l’entreprise. Le camion de Martin Bélair y est alors abandonné; 19.
Le 7 janvier 2015 en soirée, l’appelant se rend au bar. Visiblement nerveux, il mentionne à certains membres du personnel que Martin Bélair est parti dans le nord avec 15 kilos de cocaïne pour procéder à une transaction et qu’il n’est pas revenu. L’appelant s’entretient ensuite avec Simon Desrochers et l’informe qu’il devra payer la dette de Martin Bélair relative à cette transaction, au montant de 500,000.00 (ou 795,000.00) dollars. Il lui interdit également de vendre à qui que ce soit les parts de Martin Bélair dans le bar; 20.
Au cours de la même soirée, Jean-Frédérick Martin signale la disparition de Nancy Beaulieu à la Police. Le 8 janvier 2015, Simon Desrochers fait de même pour Martin Bélair; 21. Le 9 janvier 2015, à Mascouche, les corps de Martin Bélair et de Nancy Beaulieu sont retrouvés ensevelis de neige dans la boite arrière du camion de Martin Bélair. Les dépouilles sont enveloppées dans des draps plats gris de marque Mainstrays exclusifs aux magasins Walmart et enroulées d’une corde blanche et bleue; 22.
L’expertise réalisée par la technicienne en scène de crime, Sophie Fortin, permet de constater qu’une substance grisâtre se trouve à certains endroits à l’intérieur et à l’extérieur du camion, sur les victimes ainsi que dans la neige recouvrant leur corps. Les autopsies pratiquées par la docteure Liza Boucher, pathologiste judiciaire, révèlent que les victimes sont décédées des suites de blessures occasionnées par des décharges d’arme à feu.
Selon l’expert en balistique, Guillaume Arnet, l’arme du crime est de calibre 12 et pourrait correspondre à l’arme à feu achetée par les complices allégués et Ti-Rouge le 27 décembre 2014; 23. Le 18 mai 2016, l’appelant et Francis Yergeau sont arrêtés pour les meurtres de Martin Bélair et Nancy Beaulieu. [Without internal references] [ 9 ] The prosecution evidence included detailed logs of telephone calls by the victims and others, notably communications between the appellant and Francis Yergeau in the evening of 6 January 2015. The appellant testified and the relevant extracts are summarised in his factum: 25.
En 2014, l’appelant possédait plusieurs armes à feu et munitions qu’il achetait et revendait illégalement. Francis Yergeau entreposait la marchandise à la cimenterie et était le seul à connaître l’endroit où elle était cachée. Au mois de décembre 2014, alors que les démarches faites par Ti-Rouge pour trouver une arme de type AK-47 n’aboutissaient pas, ce dernier a proposé d’aller en Ontario et d’utiliser son permis d’arme à feu pour acheter une arme et des munitions.
Ne connaissant pas le fonctionnement des registres d’armes à feu en Ontario, l’appelant a accepté de se déplacer dans cette province pour mieux comprendre le stratagème; 26. Lors du voyage en Ontario le 27 décembre 2014, l’appelant possédait déjà des armes à feu de type AK-47 ainsi qu’une dizaine d’armes à feu de calibre 12. Il en a donc profité pour acheter légalement plusieurs boîtes de munitions afin de les vendre avec les armes sur le marché noir. De retour au Québec, Ti-Rouge a demandé à être payé 500 dollars pour le service rendu et l’appelant a finalement consenti à lui remettre 300 dollars; 27.
Le 6 janvier 2015, une transaction de 15 kilos de cocaïne impliquant Martin Bélair devait avoir lieu. Cette transaction nécessitait d’abord que l’appelant prenne possession de la cocaïne, à Saint-Hyacinthe, des mains d’un chauffeur envoyé par deux
(2) Colombiens connus de l’appelant. Moyennant une rémunération de 1,000.00 dollars, Francis Yergeau devait ensuite remettre la drogue à Martin
Bélair à la cimenterie pour que ce dernier se rende dans le nord vendre la cocaïne à son contact; 28. Puisque les Colombiens avaient donné la drogue à crédit à l’appelant, ce dernier devait leur remettre 510,000.00 dollars lorsqueMartin Bélair reviendrait du nord avec l’argent provenant de la transaction; 29. Le 6 janvier 2015, avant d’aller récupérer les 15 kilos de cocaïne dans le stationnement du restaurant Le Petit Québec à Saint-Hyacinthe, l’appelant et Francis Yergeau se sont rendus au Walmart et au Canadian Tire afin d’acheter le nécessaire pour un autre projetimpliquant Martin Bélair.
Ce projet consistait à utiliser un passage clandestin vers les États-Unis afin de transporter du cannabis etl’échanger contre des armes à feu. La cargaison de cannabis devait être transportée à l’aide d’une remorque (« trailer » ou « sleigh »)trainée par une motoneige; 30. À l’occasion d’un essai fait dans le passé avec une motoneige et une remorque, l’appelant et Francis Yergeau avaient utilisé une toileen plastique pour recouvrir la cargaison. Ils avaient alors découvert qu’à partir d’une certaine vitesse, la toile claquait et s’avérait tropbruyante.
L’appelant a donc eu l’idée d’envelopper la cargaison de cannabis avec des draps et de la corde. Il a acheté ces items auWalmart et au Canadian Tire le 6 janvier 2015 en compagnie de Francis Yergeau; 31. Dans la journée du 6 janvier 2015, l’appelant a constaté un bruit provenant de la roue avant du côté passager de son véhicule delocation Ford F-150 et a contacté le Discount de Saint-Hyacinthe à ce sujet. Tout juste avant la fermeture de la succursale, vers 18heures, l’appelant s’y est rendu afin d’échanger le véhicule. On lui a alors remis un camion Suburban.
Plus tard en soirée, l’appelant aprêté ce camion à Francis Yergeau qui devait se rendre à Drummondville voir des amis; 32. En soirée, l’appelant a pris son quatre-roues et est allé chez un ami surnommé Peanut, près de Sainte-Hélène. Il s’est ensuite rendudans un bar à Sainte-Hélène afin de voir si son ami surnommé Coco y était. Puisqu’il n’y était pas, l’appelant a pris un verre et a jouéaux machines à sous. Il est finalement revenu chez lui en fin de soirée; 33. Le 7 janvier 2015, l’appelant et Martin Bélair avaient convenu de se rejoindre au bar suite à la transaction qui devait avoir lieu laveille.
Puisque Martin Bélair n’y était pas, l’appelant a questionné Simon Desrochers sur l’identité des amis de Martin Bélair dans lenord. L’appelant a haussé la voix puisqu’en plus de devoir 510,000.00 dollars à des gens, Simon Desrochers ne connaissait soudainementplus rien des activités illégales de son grand ami Martin Bélair et ne lui fournissait aucune réponse. Cela dit, l’appelant n’a jamais abordéavec Simon Desrochers la question de vendre le bar ou de payer la dette de Martin Bélair; 34.
À la fin du mois de février 2015, alors que l’appelant n’avait toujours pas remboursé le montant de 510,000.00 dollars auxColombiens, Francis Yergeau lui a demandé de le suivre à la cimenterie. À leur arrivée, Francis Yergeau a sorti le sac de sport contenantles 15 kilos de cocaïne qu’il devait remettre à Martin Bélair le jour de la transaction. L’appelant et Francis Yergeau se sont alors chicanéspendant près de 30 minutes et l’appelant a quitté avec le sac. Ce dernier a revendu la cocaïne en 48 heures à Montréal pour un montantde 520,000.00 dollars et a remboursé sa dette. [Without internal references] 2.
Grounds of appeal [10] Appellate review of jury instructions requires a functional assessment whether the instructions, taken as a whole, prepared thejury for its deliberations with sufficient direction on the applicable law and material evidence.[6] To reinforce this view the SupremeCourt has said that appellate review does not require or justify microscopic examination of a judge’s instructions to a jury.
This wasrestated, for example, in Araya: [39] When considering an alleged error in a trial judge’s jury instructions, “[a]n appellate court must examine the alleged error in thecontext of the entire charge and of the trial as a whole”: R. v. Jaw, 2009 SCC 42, [2009] 3 S.C.R. 26, at para. 32, per LeBel J. Further,trial judges are to be afforded some flexibility in crafting the language of jury instructions: see Hay, at para. 48, citing R. v. Avetysan,2000 SCC 56, [2000] 2 S.C.R. 745, at para. 9.
While trial judges must seek to ensure that their instructions adequately prepare the juryfor deliberation, the standard for jury instructions is not perfection. Appellate review of jury instructions is meant to “ensure that juriesare properly — not perfectly — instructed”: R. v. Jacquard, (SCC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 314, at para. 62, per Lamer C.J.This Court has emphasized that the charge generally should not be “endlessly dissected and subjected to minute scrutiny and criticism”:R. v. Cooper, (SCC), [1993] 1 S.C.R. 146, at p. 163. As Bastarache J. has summarized it in R. v.
Daley, 2007 SCC 53,[2007] 3 S.C.R. 523, at para. 30: The cardinal rule is that it is the general sense which the words used must have conveyed, in all probability, to the mind of the jury thatmatters, and not whether a particular formula was recited by the judge. The particular words used, or the sequence followed, is a matterwithin the discretion of the trial judge and will depend on the particular circumstances of the case.
Appellate courts should not examine minute details of a jury instruction in isolation. “It is the overall effect of the charge that matters”:Daley, at para. 31.[7] [11] This view has been repeated in appellate courts across Canada, including this court.[8] 2.1 Did the prosecution improperly address the jury by suggesting that the appellant had a burden with respect to his defence andsuggesting that an adverse inference of guilt should be drawn from his failure to call certain witnesses, and did the judge err infailing to make clear that no adverse inference should be drawn from the appellant’s failure to call those witnesses? [12] The prosecution case was that the murders occurred between 17h30 and 00h18 in the evening of 6 January 2015.
One witnessconfirmed that he received a telephone call from Martin Bélair around 17h30. Communications from the mobile phone of NancyBeaulieu were sent at 20h37 and 20h48. At 00h18 a video film shows the abandoned truck in which the bodies were found. [13] The appellant testified that in the evening, after exchanging a rental vehicle, he drove Audrey Chaput to work at the Flamingo bar
and then went to Francis Yergeau’s home to lend him the new vehicle. Yergeau then took the appellant to his home, where he remained for some time before leaving on a four-wheel, all-terrain vehicle for Sainte-Hélène to see his friend Peanut at his home. From there he went to a bar in Sainte-Hélène to see his friend Coco but Coco was not there. The appellant says that he played slot machines in the bar and had a drink.
He then “drove around” in the all-terrain vehicle and returned home around 22h00. [9] His companion Claudia Lambert returned shortly thereafter. [ 14 ] The appellant’s narrative was not disclosed to the prosecution before he gave evidence. As was his right, he did not call Peanut or Claudia Lambert to testify about events in the evening of 6 January 2015. [ 15 ] In cross-examination the appellant affirmed that Peanut and Coco could be easily found.
He was asked further about his encounters in the evening of 6 January 2015: Ça fait que dans le fond, le 6 janvier 2015, vous êtes avec Audrey Chaput, Francis Yergeau, Peanut, Coco, Peanut puis Claudia Lambert? Oui. Ça fait que vous êtes avec des gens pas mal toute la période de la soirée? Bien, avec des gens... je les ai croisés.
Peanut puis Coco... je n’ai pas vu Coco, Coco, il n’était pas là, mais j’ai vu Peanut, j’avais été chez eux. [ 16 ] The appellant thus answered categorically that during the evening he was with four of the five people identified in the question, including Peanut and Claudia Lambert. [ 17 ] The appellant pleaded, as did the prosecution, that the jury should consider the whole of the evidence in the determination of its verdict. In general he pleaded that the prosecution case failed to meet the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt. He divided his pleading into three parts.
In the third, with the aid of a prepared chart that was not marked as evidence, the appellant pleaded that in assessing his testimony the jury should note that his account of the evening of 6 January was confirmed or corroborated, and not expressly contradicted, in various respects. Thus he argued that the jury should either believe his testimony or have at least a reasonable doubt after examining the whole of it and the other evidence.
To this extent his pleading approximates a claim of alibi, although he did not expressly characterise it as such, or at least a claim of limited opportunity. [ 18 ] The appellant concluded his address to the jury concerning the evaluation of his testimony in these terms: Alors ça, ça termine l’exercice auquel on s’est livré de corroboration du témoignage de monsieur de Leto. Je conclus. D’abord monsieur de Leto n’a aucun fardeau. Son témoignage, il l’a offert sans être obligé de le faire. Il est venu nier fermement avoir quoi que ce soit à voir avec le meurtre de ses amis. Il n’avait pas de mobile.
Il n’avait pas de raison de le faire. Vous n’avez pas de raison de mettre de côté son témoignage. Il est corroboré à de multiples reprises sur tous les sujets. Et on n’a pas la prétention d’être exhaustif. L’exercice auquel je viens de me livrer en troisième partie, c’est dans le seul but de vous donner des outils. C’est vous qui décidez. Il y a peut-être des éléments corroboratifs bien plus importants qu’on a oubliés, qu’on n’a pas traités et puis qui sont plus importants pour vous autres et puis qui vous permettent de considérer et d’évaluer le témoignage de monsieur de Leto.
Mais au départ, il reste que monsieur de Leto, son témoignage, il y a pas de raison de le mettre de côté. Même si vous le mettez de côté, qu’est-ce qui vous reste comme preuve? Parce que ce n’est pas la fin de l’exercice. Si vous décidez de ne pas le croire, à mon avis, il y a pas de raison mais supposons que c’est la conclusion à laquelle vous en venez, la preuve que la Poursuite vous a faite n’est pas une preuve hors de tout doute raisonnable.
Ce n’est pas une preuve qui a cette qualité, cette suffisance qui vous permettent [ sic ] de mettre de côté la présomption d’innocence et de trouver coupable monsieur de Leto de quatre (4) chefs. Rappelez-vous, là, monsieur le Juge vous a dit que vous avez comme quatre (4) procès ici, là. Deux (2) fois des complots pour causer la mort de Martin Bélair, des complots avec Martin Yergeau… Francis Yergeau, Martin Bélair, de causer la mort de Martin Bélair et Nancy Beaulieu et deux (2) meurtres. Aucune preuve de mobile en ce qui concerne madame Beaulieu, rien.
Alors la preuve qu’on vous a faite c’est une preuve circonstancielle, est-ce que la seule conclusion logique des comportements qu’on vous a proposés, la preuve qu’on a déployée en poursuite, c’est la poursuite de l’accusé ou est-ce que c’est pas tout aussi compatible avec des comportements innocents? Ou criminels dans une autre sphère d’activités criminelles. Ce que nous vous plaidons, c’est deux (2) choses en même temps c’est-à-dire, un (1), la preuve que vous avez n’est pas une preuve hors de tout doute raisonnable. D’un autre côté, vous n’avez pas de raison de mettre de côté la version de monsieur de Leto.
Vous devriez acquitter cet homme-là, basés sur toute la preuve. Parce que c’est pas de la preuve de l’un contre la preuve de l’autre. Monsieur le Juge va vous le dire. Les juges, là, vous évaluez globalement l’affaire. Et quand on évalue globalement, il y a soit place pour le doute raisonnable parce que vous le croyez ou, si vous pensez qu’il est probablement coupable, ce n’est pas assez, ça aussi ça veut dire que vous avez un doute raisonnable. Mais si vous décidez de mettre de côté sa version, il vous reste des suppositions et puis des spéculations.
C’est la raison pour laquelle vous devriez prononcer l’acquittement de cet homme-là sur les quatre (4) chefs. Alors ça, ça termine ce que j’avais à vous dire. [ 19 ] Thus the appellant expressly affirms to the jury that he bears no burden (“aucun fardeau”) and that he testified without obligation to do so.
He affirms that the prosecution case failed to meet the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt and that there was no reason to disregard his testimony or to conclude that his testimony fails to leave a reasonable doubt on the whole of the evidence. [ 20 ] The prosecution also affirms to the jury that it bears the burden to prove the offences charged beyond reasonable doubt with regard to the whole of the evidence and that the appellant bears no burden.
Like the defence, the prosecution emphasised that the appellant must be acquitted if his testimony left a reasonable doubt with respect to the whole of the evidence. In her address the prosecutor underscored that the case before the jury was entirely circumstantial. She invited the jury to consider carefully the evidence
identified by the defence as confirming or corroborating the credibility and reliability of the appellant’s testimony. She specifically referred to Peanut and Claudia Lambert in the appellant’s narrative of the evening of 6 January 2015: Moi je vous pose la question, je vous la soulève, est-ce qu’il aurait été intéressant de... par exemple Peanut, est-ce que ça, c’est pertinent? Est-ce que ça, c’est une question pertinente? Le bar à Ste-Hélène, est-ce que ça, c’est pertinent? Claudia Lambert, est-ce que ça, c’est pertinent?
Je ne suis pas en train de vous dire que l’accusé a un fardeau, je ne suis pas en train de dire ça, mais je veux vous démontrer sur ce qu’on vous présente comme de la corroboration c’est quoi qu’on a voulu corroborer versus les questions que vous allez sûrement vous poser je pense, là, sans être dans vos têtes, mais sûrement les questions que vous allez vous poser; parce que je pense et puis je vous soumets que, après avoir entendu l’accusé, certains d’entre vous, peut-être, se sont posé la question sur cette... c’est quoi ça, Peanut et puis... et puis le Chinois Nguyen et puis Pouchou le vendeur et puis Coco qu’on va voir au bar.
Sûrement que ça suscite une réflexion. Je vous invite, en tout cas, à y réfléchir à cette façon-là d’amener et en regard du témoignage de l’accusé de regarder les tableaux de corroboration et puis de vous dire: «Oui, mais cette validation-là à quoi elle nous sert, bien, ça me sert vraiment à décider si l’accusé dit ou non la vérité». [ 21 ] At a pause in the prosecution’s address to the jury, and in the absence of the jury, the judge asked counsel for the appellant whether he had any comments concerning the prosecution’s address to that point: LA COUR : Maître Labelle, est-ce que vous avez des commentaires?
Me MARC LABELLE : J’en ai un sur le fardeau, vers dix heures moins cinq (9h55), ma collègue parle de Peanut et puis de Claudia Lambert. LA COUR : Oui. Me MARC LABELLE : Que ça aurait été intéressant (inaudible). LA COUR : Oui, mais vous avez également dans votre plaidoirie, je ne dis pas que ce n’est pas habile, mais c’est pas inconvenant parce qu’on l’a placé avec l’absence de preuve. Me MARC LABELLE : Oui, oui, c’est ça, mais je le souligne... LA COUR : Alors si l’absence de preuve au niveau de la Défense s’applique... Me MARC LABELLE : Oui.
LA COUR : ... peut s’appliquer également au niveau, dans la plaidoirie de la Poursuite. Me MARC LABELLE : Moi, je pensais que c’était, imposer un fardeau surtout quand elle dit: «Je vous invite à y réfléchir...» LA COUR : Là on est sur la crédibilité. On parle de la crédibilité de l’accusé, en parlant de la crédibilité de l’accusé qui est, dans ce cas-ci, l’élément principal. Me MARC LABELLE : Ah! Je... Oui c’est ça. Mais de toute façon, vous allez en traiter dans vos directives. LA COUR : Bien, effectivement. Me MARC LABELLE :
Du fardeau et tout ça. C’est tout.
Pour le reste, je n’ai rien à dire. [ 22 ] The prosecution concluded its address to the jury by repeating the need to examine the details of the appellant’s testimony in the context of the whole of the evidence, including any apparent gaps or inconsistencies. [ 23 ] Before the judge’s final instructions, and in the absence of the jury, the appellant raised again the question concerning the prosecution’s comments about the absence of testimony from Peanut and Claudia Lambert: Me MARC LABELLE : Je vais vous donner quelque chose que j’ai trouvé ce matin par coïncidence, en prenant mon café, je regarde les derniers jugements.
Sur la question que je vous ai soulevée lors de la plaidoirie de ma collègue en disant qu’elle n’aurait pas dû plaider, inviter le jury à réfléchir sur l’absence de Peanut et de Claudia Lambert. Il y a une décision du vingt-sept (27) février deux mille dix-neuf (2019) de la Cour d’Appel, je vous la donne. Je vous demande de donner une directive… LA COUR : Moi, je donne une directive de type Brown (inaudible). Me MARC LABELLE : Oui, c’est ça. Me MARIE-CLAUDE MORIN : Exact. Me MARC LABELLE : Ça, c’est correct.
Mais dans le cas qui nous occupe, essentiellement ce que cet arrêt-là dit là, c’est que ça prend des circonstances exceptionnelles pour reprocher à la Défense de pas faire entendre des témoins et il faut en attirer, attirer l’attention du jury là-dessus. LA COUR : Oui. Mais dans la plaidoirie de la Couronne, lorsque je mentionnais que c’était habile de la part… Me MARC LABELLE : Hum! Hum! LA COUR : Elle ne fait pas ombrage au fait que la Couronne, la Défense n’a pas fait entendre Peanut. Me MARC LABELLE : Bien moi, je pense que c’est l’invitation qui est faite.
L’invitation à réfléchir, ça ne peut pas être sur d’autre chose que leur absence. La directive que je vous demande est au paragraphe cinquante-cinq (55). Ça se lit, les trois premières phrases en faisant référence à la Cour d’appel d’Ontario : « Le Juge aurait dû aviser le jury qu’il ne devrait accorder aucune valeur probante à l’omission de faire entendre certains témoins. » Alors moi, je vous demande de leur dire ça. Ce jugement-là, Monsieur le Juge, comme je vous dis, je l’ai trouvé ce matin, là, mais c’est assez clair, on n’a pas beaucoup le choix, c’est, il faut dire quelque chose. À mon avis.
LA COUR : Quelle inférence défavorable a-t-il été fait? Me MARC LABELLE : Bien, du fait qu’ils n’ont pas été entendus alors que lui, il disait qu’il était avec eux. LA COUR : Il faudrait que je réécoute. Me MARC LABELLE : C’est à neuf heures cinquante-cinq (9h55). LA COUR : Il faudrait réécouter là parce que c’est pas de la façon que moi, je l’ai perçu… [ 24 ] The appellant thus requested the trial judge to instruct the jury in accordance with the reasons of this court in Artin . [10] The
judge first doubted the need for such a direction on the basis that the prosecution’s comments appeared strictly to concern the credibility that the jury might attribute to the appellant’s testimony concerning his movements on the evening of 6 January. The prosecution expressed the same view.
The judge nevertheless agreed to include in his final directions a caution concerning the probative significance of the failure to call potential witnesses: […] vous ne devez pas spéculer à savoir si d’autres éléments de preuve auraient pu vous être soumis ou non ou encore tirer une inférence favorable ou défavorable parce qu’un témoin n’a pas été entendu, que ce soit pour la Poursuite ou la Défense. [ 25 ] The parties agreed that this was acceptable.
The additional instruction was given to the jury in the following terms: Vous ne devrez pas spéculer à savoir si d’autres éléments de preuve auraient pu vous être soumis ou non ou encore tirer une inférence favorable ou défavorable parce qu’un témoin n’a pas été entendu, que ce soit par la Poursuite ou par la Défense.
Vous ne devez pas élaborer des scenarios ou des théories qui ne sont pas fondés sur des faits en preuve, c’est-à-dire que vous jugerez dignes de foi. [ 26 ] The parties later expressed their satisfaction with the instructions as a whole. [ 27 ] The judge explained that he might give additional instructions to clarify or rectify his directions if necessary and that he would answer any questions for further clarification addressed to him.
He directed the jury, as he had in his introductory instructions, on the burden of proof and in particular on the absence of any burden on the defence. […] Un accusé est toujours présumé innocent et cette présomption d’innocence demeure à moins que la Poursuite ‘arrive [ sic ] à vous prouver la culpabilité hors de tout raisonnable. L’acte d’accusation n’est pas un document qui énonce les accusations portées contre l’accusé… n’est qu’un document qui énonce les accusations portées contre l’accusé.
Ce document informe l’accusé comme il vous informe des infractions précises que l’avocat de la poursuite prétend avoir été commises par l’accusé. L’acte d’accusation n’est pas un élément de preuve, ce document n’établit pas la culpabilité. La présomption d’innocence signifie que l’accusé a commencé le procès avec une page blanche. Cette présomption d’innocence est demeurée tout au long de la procédure et elle sera maintenue durant vos délibérations.
La présomption d’innocence ne cesse que si et seulement si la preuve de la Poursuite en vient à vous convaincre hors de tout doute raisonnable de la culpabilité de l’accusé pour l’infraction ou les infractions alléguées. L’accusé n’est pas tenu de prouver quoi que ce soit, tout particulièrement, il n’est pas tenu de prouver qu’il est innocent des infractions alléguées contre lui. Il revient toujours à la Poursuite de prouver hors de tout doute raisonnable que l’accusé est coupable.
C’est donc la Poursuite qui doit prouver la culpabilité de Giuseppe De Leto hors de tout doute raisonnable et non à celui-ci de prouver son innocence. Vous devrez déclarer l’accusé non coupable de l’accusation portée contre lui à moins que la Poursuite ne vous ait convaincus hors de tout doute raisonnable qu’il a effectivement commis cette infraction. La norme de preuve exprimée par la phrase « hors de tout raisonnable » est un élément fondamental de notre système de justice pénal et criminel. Un doute raisonnable n’est pas un doute frivole ou imaginaire.
Il n’est pas fondé sur la sympathie ou le préjugé mais plutôt sur la raison et la logique. Le doute raisonnable découle donc logiquement de la preuve ou d’un manque de preuve. Il n’est pas suffisant de croire que l’accusé est probablement ou vraisemblablement coupable. Si vous deviez en arriver à cette conclusion, vous devrez déclarer l’accusé non coupable parce que cela voudra dire que la Poursuite n’aura pas réussi à vous convaincre de sa culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable. Une preuve de culpabilité probable ou vraisemblable n’est pas une preuve de culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable.
Vous devez cependant garder à l’esprit qu’il est à peu près impossible de prouver quoi que ce soit de façon absolue. La certitude absolue n’est pas la norme de preuve que la Poursuite doit atteindre. Cette norme de preuve serait impossible. Si aux termes de vos délibérations après avoir examiné l’ensemble de la preuve, vous êtes convaincus que l’accusé a commis l’infraction dont il est accusé, vous devrez le reconnaître coupable de cette infraction puisque la Poursuite vous aura convaincus de sa culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable.
Mais si après avoir examiné l’ensemble de la preuve ou le manque de preuve, vous n’êtes pas certains que l’accusé a commis l’infraction dont il a été jugé, vous devriez alors le déclarer non coupable de cette infraction. [ 28 ] The judge elaborated on the jury’s task in the assessment of the evidence and in particular the appellant’s testimony. […] La quantité de témoins appelés à la barre n’a aucune espèce d’importance et ne doit pas influencer de quelque façon que ce soit le poids que vous accorderez aux témoignages. Votre tâche consiste à considérer tous les éléments de preuve dans leur ensemble.
Vous êtes libres de conclure que seule une minorité de témoins ont été crédibles. Vous devrez examiner minutieusement tous les témoignages entendus durant le procès et déterminer dans chaque cas si ce témoin est digne de foi ou non et du poids que vous accorderez à son témoignage. Vous ne devez pas rendre un verdict en faisant simplement la comptabilité du nombre de témoins pour ou contre l’une ou l’autre des parties. Vous m’avez entendu souvent parler de l’ensemble de la preuve.
C’est toujours à l’intérieur de l’ensemble de la preuve que vous devez considérer pour évaluer la nature des témoignages et la véracité que vous accordez pour savoir si les témoins sont dignes de foi. J’aborde maintenant, puisque monsieur de Leto a témoigné devant vous, une directive particulière que je vous explique comme suit. Si vous croyez le témoignage de l’accusé voulant qu’il n’ait pas commis intentionnellement l’une ou l’autre des infractions qui lui sont reprochées, vous devez lui en faire profiter.
En fait, même si vous ne croyez pas son témoignage mais que ce témoignage soulève un doute raisonnable quant à sa culpabilité ou quant à un élément essentiel de l’infraction alléguée, vous devrez le déclarer non coupable de l’infraction reprochée de meurtre au premier degré mais également de complot pour meurtre.
De plus, si vous jugez que le témoignage de l’accusé ne soulève pas de doute raisonnable quant à sa culpabilité ou quant à unélément essentiel de l’infraction alléguée, vous ne pouvez le déclarer coupable que si le reste de la preuve, c’est-à-dire les éléments depreuve que vous considérez comme étant dignes de foi prouvent sa culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable. Cette directive que je vous donne vise deux (2) considérants qui s’imbriquent l’un dans l’autre.
L’un se rattache à l’évaluation quevous ferez de la crédibilité de l’accusé et l’autre à l’obligation de la Poursuite de faire la preuve hors de tout doute raisonnable deséléments essentiels des infractions reprochées. Si après avoir considéré l’ensemble de la preuve, vous croyez l’accusé ou encore, même sivous ne le croyez pas mais que son témoignage soulève un doute raisonnable dans votre esprit relativement aux infractions qu’on luireproche, il est évident que la Poursuite ne s’est pas déchargée de son fardeau de prouver tous les éléments essentiels de cette infractionhors de tout doute raisonnable.
Mais si après avoir considéré l’ensemble de la preuve, vous ne croyez pas l’accusé et que son témoignage ne soulève pas dans votreesprit un doute raisonnable, vous devez néanmoins évaluer le reste de la preuve que vous considérez comme fiable et vous demander sicette preuve prouve hors de tout doute raisonnable chacun des éléments essentiels de ou des infractions reprochées. [29] The jury had no questions on these matters.[11] [30] The first two grounds of appeal, despite their relation to the presumption of innocence, are not the same.
The first concerns theburden of proof and more specifically whether the law imposes on a party a burden to produce evidence of a material fact (“evidentialburden”) or a burden to prove a material fact (“legal burden”) to a specified degree of persuasion. The appellant first claimed that theprosecution’s address suggested that the appellant had a burden to call Peanut and Claudia Lambert to support his defence.
The appellantlater claimed that the prosecution’s address left the impression that the jury could draw an adverse inference if the evidence, or lack ofevidence, diminished or eliminated the probative value of the appellant’s testimony because it was not confirmed or corroborated byPeanut and Claudia Lambert. [31] The appellant’s concern that the prosecution had proposed a reverse onus is overstated. The parties and the judge said clearly tothe jury, and more than once, that the appellant bore no burden with respect to his defence.
None of them distinguished between anevidential burden or a legal burden but each of them was categorical that the appellant bore no burden (“aucun fardeau”). The jury couldhave no doubt as to the meaning of this principle. Accordingly, this ground fails. [32] Neither the prosecution nor the defence said anything explicit to the jury to preclude an adverse inference from the failure to callPeanut or Claudia Lambert to testify.
The question that remains is whether the judge’s specific direction on this point was adequate inthe circumstances. [33] As a general proposition, but subject to qualifications, the law does not permit an adverse inference if the accused fails to call awitness to support his defence; and the jury should be instructed accordingly.[12] Among qualifications to this general proposition is anexception for alibi.[13] The conditions and the contours of this exception are not precisely settled but the jurisprudence is clear that suchan inference should be permitted only with great caution and with appropriate instructions.[14] Indeed, the Supreme Court has said thatcomment by the judge on the prosecution’s failure to call a witness would rarely be appropriate and even more so if the defence fails tocall a witness.[15] The need for caution is to avoid the risk of suggesting that the accused bears a burden to call a witness who couldsupport a defence and to ensure that the failure to call a witness is not treated as affirmative evidence that merits probative value.[16]More generally, any comment concerning the failure of a party to call a witness is inconsistent with the principle that neither a party northe judge may comment on the manner on which a party presents the case to the jury.[17] [34] The appropriateness of an adverse inference or comment on the failure to call a witness is essentially a matter within thediscretion of the trial judge after due consideration of the evidence presented by the parties and any representations made by them.
InDegraw the Ontario Court of Appeal made general observations on the failure of an accused person to call a witness: [29] In some limited circumstances, a trier of fact may draw an adverse inference from the accused’s failure to call a witness. Theadverse inference principle is “derived from ordinary logic and experience”. It is not intended to punish the accused for failing to call awitness: R. v. Jolivet, 2000 SCC 29, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 751, at para. 24. [30] An adverse inference may only be drawn where there is no plausible reason for not calling the witness: R. v.
Lapensee, 2009ONCA 646, 99 O.R. (3d) 501, at para. 42. Even where it is appropriate to draw an adverse inference, it should not be “given undueprominence and a comment should only be made where the witness is of some importance in the case”: R. v. Koffman (1985), (ON CA), 20 C.C.C. (3d) 232 (Ont. C.A.), at p. 237. [31] Commenting upon the failure of the defence to call a witness runs the clear risk of reversing the burden of proof: R. v. Ellis, 2013ONCA 9, 113 O.R. (3d) 641, at para. 49; and Lapensee, at para. 45.
As well, trial counsel will frequently make choices about not callingpotential witnesses, the reasons for which are often entirely unrelated to the truth of any evidence a witness may give. For instance, anhonest person may have a poor demeanour, resulting in a strategic choice not to have the individual testify. Or, the evidentiary point tobe made by a person may already have been adequately covered by others: Jolivet, at para. 28. Allowing an adverse inference to be takenfrom the failure to call a potential witness runs the risk of visiting strategic litigation choices upon the accused.
Accordingly, an adverseinference should only be drawn with great caution: R. v. Zehr (1980), (ON CA), 54 C.C.C. (2d) 65 (Ont. C.A.), at p.68; R. v. Charrette (1982), (ON CA), 67 C.C.C. (2d) 357 (Ont. C.A.), at p. 359; Koffman, at p. 237; Lapensee, atpara. 45; and Ellis, at para. 49. [32] Where comment is appropriate, the “only inference that can be drawn” is not one of guilt, but an inference that, had the witnesstestified, his or her evidence would have been unfavourable to the accused: Koffman, at p. 238; and R. v. Marshall (2005), (ON CA), 200 C.C.C. (3d) 179 (Ont. C.A.), at para. 47.
This inference can impact on an assessment of the accused’scredibility: Koffman, at p. 238; Charrette, at p. 359; R. v. Dupuis (1995), (ON CA), 98 C.C.C. (3d) 496 (Ont. C.A.), atp. 508; and Marshall, at paras. 44, 47-48.[18] [35] The possibility of an adverse inference can arise if it is suggested explicitly or implicitly by a party or, even in the absence of a
suggestion by a party, by the judge. Unless the possibility can be justified, it may be challenged as reversible error. The justification for leaving this possibility with the trier of fact must be apparent in the directions of the judge either as part of the general instructions or as a correcting instruction. On appeal a preliminary issue is therefore to determine whether the possibility of an adverse inference was raised, explicitly or implicitly, as a live issue.
If it was, the substantive issue is whether it was adequately addressed by the judge, either to prohibit such an inference or to permit it with express limitations on the significance that the jury might attribute to it. [19] [ 36 ] In the present case the prosecutor said nothing explicit about the possibility of an adverse inference from the appellant’s failure to call Peanut and Claudia Lambert to testify. The appellant sought a prophylactic direction from the judge against such an inference on the ground that it was implicit in the prosecutor’s address.
The judge gave the requested direction without deciding expressly that the prosecution had made the implicit suggestion noted by the appellant. The judge gave a cautionary direction against the possibility that the jury might construe the prosecutor’s address as an invitation to draw an adverse inference from the appellant’s failure to call Peanut and Claudia Lambert to testify.
In this sense the additional direction given by the judge at the appellant’s request is properly characterised as a precaution rather than a correction. [ 37 ] A risk of the kind perceived by the appellant was foreclosed by the judge’s direction. The judge in no way suggested to the jury that an adverse inference was permissible with respect to the appellant’s failure to call Peanut and Claudia Lambert.
Moreover, he emphatically directed the jury with regard to the burden and standard of proof, including the absence of any burden on the defence and a firm caution to the jury against speculation unsupported by the evidence. [ 38 ] This case is plainly distinguishable from others in which the risk of an adverse inference has been explicitly or implicitly put before the trier of fact. The judge committed no error in foreclosing the risk perceived by the appellant.
Even if the prosecution’s address implicitly invited such an inference, the judge’s directions explicitly provided sufficient protection against any possible prejudice to the appellant. [ 39 ] Accordingly, the first and second grounds of appeal fail. 2.2 Did the trial judge err by failing in his final directions to give a cautionary instruction based on Starr and, further did the judge err in failing to give such an instruction in response to the second question submitted by the jury? [ 40 ] The appellant submits that the judge made a reversible error by failing twice to instruct the jury, in accordance with Starr , that the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt “falls much closer to absolute certainty than to proof on a balance of probabilities.” [20] The appellant submits that the judge failed to give this direction first in his general instruction on the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt and again in response to a question from the jury. [ 41 ] In his initial directions concerning proof beyond reasonable doubt the judge followed the suggestions proposed by the Supreme Court in Lifchus , which are summarised as follows: It should be explained that: • the standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt is inextricably intertwined with that principle fundamental to all criminal trials, the presumption of innocence; • the burden of proof rests on the prosecution throughout the trial and never shifts to the accused; • a reasonable doubt is not a doubt based upon sympathy or prejudice; • rather, it is based upon reason and common sense; • it is logically connected to the evidence or absence of evidence; • it does not involve proof to an absolute certainty; it is not proof beyond any doubt nor is it an imaginary or frivolous doubt; and • more is required than proof that the accused is probably guilty — a jury which concludes only that the accused is probably guilty must acquit. [Emphasis in original.] Cory J. also summarized, at para. 37, certain references to the required standard of proof that should be avoided: • describing the term “reasonable doubt” as an ordinary expression which has no special meaning in the criminal law context; • inviting jurors to apply to the task before them the same standard of proof that they apply to important, or even the most important, decisions in their own lives; • equating proof “beyond a reasonable doubt” to proof “to a moral certainty”; • qualifying the word “doubt” with adjectives other than “reasonable”, such as “serious”, “substantial” or “haunting”, which may mislead the jury; and • instructing jurors that they may convict if they are “sure” that the accused is guilty, before providing them with a proper definition as to the meaning of the words “beyond a reasonable doubt”. [21] [ 42 ] The appellant submitted that the judge should add specifically a direction based on the observations in Starr .
In Starr the
Supreme Court repeated its approach to appellate review of instructions concerning the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt: Cory J. stressed that the precise wording of any given jury charge on reasonable doubt will not necessarily be determinative of its effectiveness at transmitting the meaning of the term, and so at securing the fairness of the accused’s trial. A charge must be examined in its entirety to determine whether the essential elements of a fair and accurate instruction on reasonable doubt are present and have been properly explained.
The question in every case in which a trial judge’s instructions on reasonable doubt are impugned is whether there is a reasonable likelihood that the jury was under a misapprehension as to the correct standard of proof to apply.
If the charge, when read as a whole, could not have placed the jury under a misapprehension as to the correct standard of proof, then the jury verdict should not be disturbed. [22] [ 43 ] The Court later referred to “absolute certainty” in these terms: In my view, an effective way to define the reasonable doubt standard for a jury is to explain that it falls much closer to absolute certainty than to proof on a balance of probabilities.
As stated in Lifchus , a trial judge is required to explain that something less than absolute certainty is required, and that something more than probable guilt is required, in order for the jury to convict. Both of these alternative standards are fairly and easily comprehensible.
It will be of great assistance for a jury if the trial judge situates the reasonable doubt standard appropriately between these two standards. [23] [ 44 ] Later, after the judge had responded to a question for clarification submitted by the jury, he refused to include a further direction based on Starr on the grounds that he had already provided adequate instruction on proof beyond reasonable doubt and that such an instruction was not necessary in a response to the question submitted by the jury. [ 45 ] The parties and the judge made clear to the jury on several occasions that proof beyond reasonable doubt did not require proof to an absolute certainty.
The direction requested by the appellant based on Starr invited the judge to clarify or amplify what he had already said concerning the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt. It is therefore imperative not to exaggerate or distort the significance of the comments in Starr . They were intended to situate for the trier of fact the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt on a continuum of standards of persuasion between proof on a balance of probabilities and proof beyond reasonable doubt. As in Lifchus , the comments in Starr do not present or endorse absolute certainty as a distinct standard of persuasion.
They seek to underscore that proof on a balance of probabilities is insufficient for a finding of guilt in criminal cases while acknowledging that proof to an absolute certainty is unattainable.
These words are not intrinsic or essential to an explanation of proof beyond reasonable doubt and a satisfactory direction on this standard can be given without reference to the comments in Starr , which simply indicate that “more” is required rather than “less”. [24] A reference to these comments might occasionally be helpful but such a reference will rarely, if ever, be essential to an adequate instruction on the standard of proof beyond reasonable doubt.
To suggest otherwise would contradict the overarching principle that appellate review of jury instructions should follow a functional approach to the general effect of a judge’s instructions. [ 46 ] Accordingly, these grounds of appeal fail. 2.3 Did the trial judge err in his recharge concerning the jury’s first question by restating his initial instructions, and did the judge err in the same manner with respect to the jury’s second question and by giving further instruction on the modes of participation and by failing to provide further instruction on the burden and standard of proof? [ 47 ] The appellant submits that the trial judge failed to provide adequate directions in response to two questions submitted by the jury.
Bonjour Monsieur le Juge, nous aimerions avoir clarification du Code criminel concernant le point d’accusation de meurtre au premier degré. Comment peut-on déterminer une accusation de meurtre sans pour autant que la personne (l’accusé) ait provoqué le geste? [ 48 ] The judge sought representations from counsel on both questions. With respect to the first, he responded by repeating the substance of his earlier direction concerning the elements of first-degree murder. He did not repeat his review of the relevant evidence but added two examples to clarify the elem ents of planning and deliberation .
Une planification c’est... je vais vous donner un exemple très très simple. Un (1) des jurés demeure à la Présentation, je demeure à Saint- Hyacinthe, et il me demande d’avoir... de l’accompagner à Drummondville avec mon auto. Je prends mon auto, je vais la chercher chez elle à la Présentation, je l’amène à Drummondville. On a planifié tous les deux (2) de la façon dont j’irais la chercher chez elle parce que, ça pourrait être tout simplement un exemple, parce qu’elle n’avait pas d’auto et elle avait besoin de ce qu’on appelle dans notre milieu, un lift pour s’y rendre.
Donc, c’est une planification qui a été faite. Le propos délibéré exige quelque chose de différent, d’un peu de... ou de... de la planification. Il signifie tout simplement que le geste est bien mûri et délibéré. On veut savoir et on connaît la conséquence. Si je prends mon auto pour aller à la Présentation par exemple, je sais que la raison pour laquelle je prends mon auto et je suis conscient que je vais me déplacer en automobile pour aller chercher une autre personne.
C’est ça, le propos délibéré, je connais la conséquence de la planification et du résultat de cette planification-là qui s’apprête à survenir. [ 49 ] With respect to the second question, the parties and the judge agreed that the jury should be asked what they meant in their question by referring to provocation: Est-ce que c’est la personne qui a réellement fait feu ou tiré que vous entendez ou si vous entendez quelque chose de différent? [ 50 ] The jury answered that they wanted clarification on the first possibility.
The judge replied by restating the substance of his previous instruction concerning participation as a principal or an aider, again without repeating the relevant evidence but adding the following example to assist the jury:
Le paragraphe un (1) c’est-à-dire le paragraphe
a) plutôt, réfère à l’auteur ou les auteurs de la commission de l’acte reproché. Le
paragraphe
b) réfère à celui qui dans le langage courant, on réfère à un complice. Tout simplement pour vous donner encore un exemple, ça vaut toujours ce que ça vaut un exemple. Par exemple, une personne veut commettre un vol qualifié, me demande à moi de l’accompagner, mais de ne pas rentrer dans la banque, de l’attendre dans mon auto pour que je puisse me sauver avec. Je suis un complice. Je viens de l’aider à faire quelque chose et je suis aussi... je suis participant au même
titre que mon copain qui est rentré dans la banque pour faire le vol qualifié. Je suis assimilé à un complice. [ 51 ] The judge then concluded his recharge by asking whether it addressed the jury’s questions and inviting them to ask any additional questions that might be needed to assist them in their deliberations. The jury posed no further questions but the appellant noted that the answer on the second should have included a repetition of the judge’s direction on the burden and standard of proof.
The judge declined because he had already given ample direction on these issues and the jury’s question did not necessitate further attention to those points. [ 52 ] The appellant was satisfied by the initial directions provided by the judge but now submits that the recharge in response to the jury’s questions contained reversible errors. With respect to the first question, the appellant claims that repetition of the initial instructions concerning planning and deliberation was insufficient to answer the jury’s question.
He makes the same claim with respect to the recharge in response to the second question and adds two further points: that the question required a recharge on the burden and standard of proof and that the example offered by the judge in the recharge was inappropriate and prejudicial because it too closely resembled the facts for consideration by the jury in the present case. [ 53 ] As with the assessment of the opening instructions by the judge, the central question concerning a recharge is whether the judge’s directions respond to the question posed by the jury in a manner to provide complete and accurate guidance with regard to the questions they must consider.
This general principle was addressed in S.(W.D.) : It is true that directions to a jury must always be read as a whole; however, it cannot ever be forgotten that questions from the jury require careful consideration and must be clearly, correctly and comprehensively answered. This is true for any number of reasons which have been expressed by this Court on other occasions. A question presented by a jury gives the clearest possible indication of the particular problem that the jury is confronting and upon which it seeks further instructions.
Even if the question relates to a matter that has been carefully reviewed in the main charge, it still must be answered in a complete and careful manner. It may be that after a period of deliberation, the original instructions, no matter how exemplary they were, have been forgotten or some confusion has arisen in the minds of the jurors. The jury must be given a full and proper response to their question. The jury is entitled to no less.
It is the obligation of the trial judge assisted by counsel to make certain that the question is fully and properly answered. [25] [ 54 ] The same subject was reviewed in Layton : [23] Here, the trial judge essentially repeated her original charge verbatim. In some cases, repeating the original charge verbatim might be all that is required to assist the jury.
For example, where the original charge was not provided to the jury in writing and the jury indicates in its question that it has forgotten the original charge, repeating the instruction may be all that is necessary. [26] [ 55 ] In the present case it is regrettable that the jury was not provided with a written copy of the judge’s initial directions [27] but the questions seeking further direction were submitted not long after those instructions were delivered.
The judge expressly asked the jury whether his recharge addressed their questions adequately and he invited the jury to pose further questions for additional assistance if necessary. The judge added in his recharge examples to illustrate his instructions but in these circumstances there is no reason to suggest that repetition of the opening directions was insufficient as an answer to either of the questions posed by the jury. [ 56 ] With regard to the second question, there is also no basis to conclude that further instruction on the burden and standard of proof was necessary.
The judge rightly notes that these issues had been addressed already in his directions and that the second question did not suggest any reason to think that the jury was inadequately informed on those points.
In this respect it is noteworthy that the judge’s initial charge was not only explicit with regard to the burden and standard of proof but that it had carefully explained that the jury could be unanimous if some of its members concluded that the appellant was the principal and others concluded that he aided another person who was the principal. [ 57 ] Finally, it must be noted briefly that the hypothetical example given by the judge [28] bears no resemblance to the factual narrative in the present case and could in no way mislead or prejudice the jury. [ 58 ] These grounds fail. 2.4 Did the trial judge err in dismissing the appellant’s motion for directed verdict and, further, was the jury’s verdict unreasonable? [ 59 ] The appellant submits that the trial judge erred in dismissing his motion for a directed verdict of acquittal and that the jury’s verdict was unreasonable.
Both grounds concern the sufficiency of the evidence at trial but they are distinct. The first concerns a question of law in which the judge must determine whether the evidence on the whole of the prosecution case is sufficient for the consideration of the jury and the second is whether the evidence at the end and on the whole of the case is sufficient to sustain a reasonable verdict by the jury. [ 60 ] The standard applicable on a motion for a directed verdict of acquittal requires the judge to determine whether the evidence in the prosecution case addresses each element of the offence charged.
It was stated succinctly in Monteleone : Where there is before the court any admissible evidence, whether direct or circumstantial, which, if believed by a properly charged jury acting reasonably, would justify a conviction, the trial judge is not justified in directing a verdict of acquittal. It is not the function of the trial judge to weigh the evidence, to test its quality or reliability once a determination of its admissibility has been made. It is not for the trial judge to draw inferences of fact from the evidence before him.
These functions are for the trier of fact, the jury. [29] [ 61 ] Where the prosecution case consists of circumstantial evidence the test allows a limited weighing of the probative value that the
jury could attribute to it, including an identification of permissible inferences but excluding the evaluation or attribution of any weight to those inferences. This was explained in Arcuri : 23 The judge’s task is somewhat more complicated where the Crown has not presented direct evidence as to every element of the offence. The question then becomes whether the remaining elements of the offence – that is, those elements as to which the Crown has not advanced direct evidence – may reasonably be inferred from the circumstantial evidence.
Answering this question inevitably requires the judge to engage in a limited weighing of the evidence because, with circumstantial evidence, there is, by definition, an inferential gap between the evidence and the matter to be established – that is, an inferential gap beyond the question of whether the evidence should be believed: see Watt’s Manual of Criminal Evidence , supra , at §9.01 (circumstantial evidence is “any item of evidence, testimonial or real, other than the testimony of an eyewitness to a material fact.
It is any fact from the existence of which the trier of fact may infer the existence of a fact in issue”); McCormick on Evidence , supra , at pp. 641-42 (“[c]ircumstantial evidence . . . may be testimonial, but even if the circumstances depicted are accepted as true, additional reasoning is required to reach the desired conclusion”). The judge must therefore weigh the evidence, in the sense of assessing whether it is reasonably capable of supporting the inferences that the Crown asks the jury to draw. This weighing, however, is limited.
The judge does not ask whether she herself would conclude that the accused is guilty. Nor does the judge draw factual inferences or assess credibility. The judge asks only whether the evidence, if believed , could reasonably support an inference of guilt. [30] [ 62 ] In the present case the sole argument advanced by the appellant to support the motion for a directed verdict is that the evidence was insufficient for the jury to determine whether the appellant was the principal or a secondary party who aided the principal.
This argument is without merit because the prosecution is not bound by its burden to establish a specific mode of participation in the commission of an offence.
A motion for a directed verdict must be dismissed if the evidence in the prosecution case is sufficient to sustain a finding of guilt with respect to one or the other mode of participation. [ 63 ] For this reason the judge rightly dismissed the motion for a directed verdict and, accordingly, this ground of appeal fails. [ 64 ] Even after a limited re-weighing of the evidence, [31] the same approach applies in this case to the claim that the jury’s verdicts were unreasonable.
The test of sufficiency on such a claim is whether a properly instructed trier of fact, acting reasonably, could find in the evidence adduced at trial proof beyond reasonable doubt of the offence charged. [32] As clearly noted by the judge in his instructions, with the approval of the parties, the jury could reach a unanimous verdict of guilt if some of its members concluded that the appellant was the principal in the commission of the offences while others concluded that he aided the principal.
This is the effect of the principle expressed in Thatcher : […] if there is evidence before a jury that points to an accused either committing a crime personally or, alternatively, aiding and abetting another to commit the offence, provided the jury is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused did one or the other, it is "a matter of indifference" which alternative actually occurred: Chow Bew . It follows, in my view, that s. 21 precludes a requirement of jury unanimity as to the particular nature of the accused's participation in the offence.
Why should the juror be compelled to make a choice on a subject which is a matter of legal indifference? [33] [ 65 ] Among the elements that could support the jury’s verdicts are the following: • On 27 December 2014 the appellant acquired a firearm and ammunition in the company of Francis Yergeau and a third person.
After this purchase he asked the third person to assemble the weapon and erase the serial number. • According to the ballistics expert, the murder weapon was a twelve-gauge and could match the weapon bought by the perpetrators. • On 6 January 2015, the day of the murders, the appellant and Francis Yergeau bought two flat sheets at Wal-Mart and two packages of blue rope at Canadian Tire. • The sheets and rope used to wrap the victims’ bodies match the sheets and rope bought the same day by the perpetrators. • On 6 January 2015, the day of the murders, Martin Bélair mentioned to a witness that he was to meet the appellant in the evening. • On the same day the appellant went to the car-rental agency and exchanged his usual rental car for a white Chevrolet Suburban.
He returned the Suburban the next day. • Around 00h18 on 7 January 2015 a surveillance camera filmed a person leaving the place where the two bodies were found, entering and leaving aboard a white vehicle of the same type as that rented by the appellant. • The grayish substance taken from the victims’ clothing and the vehicle in which their bodies were abandoned match a substance taken from the cement plant where the appellant and Francis Yergeau worked. • On the day of the victims’ disappearance the appellant went to the Flamingo bar to meet a business partner of Martin Bélair, Simon Desrochers.
He told him that Martin Bélair owed him $500,000. He also asked him not to sell his share of the Flamingo because it was he who had to repay this debt. [ 66 ] It follows that the jury’s verdicts cannot be considered unreasonable. [ 67 ] These grounds of appeal fail. CONCLUSION [ 68 ] I propose to grant the motion for leave to appeal on a mixed question of fact and law and to dismiss the appeal.
PATRICK HEALY, J.A.