2014 NBCA 51, 2014 NBCA 51
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 106-13-CA BETWEEN : B.P. APPELLANT ENTRE : B.P. APPELANT - and - - et - A.T. RESPONDENT A.T. INTIMÉE B.P. v. A.T., 2014 NBCA 51 B.P. c.
A.T., 2014 NBCA 51 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 23, 2013 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 23 septembre 2013 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2013 NBQB 309 Décision frappée d’appel : 2013 NBBR 309 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: May 28, 2014 Appel entendu : le 28 mai 2014 Judgment rendered: July 31, 2014 Jugement rendu : le 31 juillet 2014
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Rita Godin For the respondent: Kenneth W. Martin Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Rita Godin Pour l’intimée : Kenneth W. Martin THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $1,500. LA COUR Rejette l’appel avec dépens de 1 500 $.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by LARLEE, J.A. [ 1 ] This is an appeal from a decision of a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division, awarding relief pursuant to the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2, with respect to access to a child of the marriage, child support (special expenses) and spousal support. I. Context [ 2 ] The appellant and respondent began to cohabit in September 2005, married on August 11, 2007, and separated on July 29, 2011. There is one child of the marriage, A., presently 5 years of age. The respondent also has a child from a previous marriage, L., age 11.
On August 8, 2011, the appellant filed a Notice of Application seeking joint custody, access, and division of marital property. At a meeting on August 9, 2011, the respondent alleged that the appellant was in possession of child pornography, but there was no allegation of child abuse. She reported her allegation to the RCMP. However, no charges were laid against the appellant by the RCMP in relation to the respondent’s allegation.
[3] By consent, two psychological reports assessing the appellant were filed with the Court pursuant to s. 8 of theFamily Services Act. The report of Robert Doucet, filed on August 26, 2011, assessed his parental capacity. The report of BernardGalarneau, filed On December 20, 2011, assessed his risk of sexually offending against children. [4] Numerous motions and consent orders have been filed since the beginning of the litigation. On February 26and 27, 2013, after a seven month delay, the trial was completed.
At the end of trial, the judge modified the interim access scheduleconsidering the appellant’s pending move to Ottawa the next day. On September 23, 2013, the trial judge delivered a 198-page decisionon the various issues: the appellant was not found to be in “loco parentis” to his stepchild; the parties were granted joint custody of thechild of the marriage; the appellant’s access remained supervised; the marital home and car were divided; and the appellant was orderedto pay child support including special expenses, and spousal support to the respondent.
One of the appellant’s complaints in this case isthe delay in receiving a decision: he argues the evidence with respect to the access order was stale and the spousal support order wasbased on financial information that was not current. II. Grounds of Appeal [5] The appellant relies on nine grounds of appeal: 1. That the trial judge’s decision on the issue of the father’s access to the child of the marriage (supervised or not, and the access plan)is the product of errors in law, errors in principle, and a significant misapprehension of the evidence, and is clearly wrong. 2.
That the trial Judge erred in law by delegating to a third party, in this instance an unnamed psychologist to be chosen by the parties,as per par. 483-486 of his decision, the determination of when the father’s access to his child may become unsupervised, as per par. 365,there being no authority, either statutory or otherwise, either expressly or implied, which would permit this type of delegation of thecourt’s power to make decisions with respect to access. 3.
That the trial Judge erred by making a decision on access based on “stale” evidence with respect to the child’s best interests,following a lengthy adjournment prior to the conclusion of the trial and a further 7- month delay for the judge to render his decision aftercompletion of trial, and by not considering up-to-date evidence submitted by a motion filed on June 6, 2013, with respect to the changedcircumstances of the child and the parties. 4.
That the trial Judge erred in law by failing to place the evidentiary burden on the mother to prove that access restrictions, previouslyimposed by consent on an interim basis pending a further evaluation, were still necessary in the best interests of the child, thusmisapplying the principles with respect to determination of access and, in particular, the restriction of access, as established by theSupreme Court of Canada in Young v. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 SCR 3. 5.
That, with respect to the father’s access, the trial judge did not conduct the proper analysis of the child’s best interests from a child-centred perspective, by putting considerable weight on the views and preferences of the mother, contrary to the principles established bythe Supreme Court of Canada in Young v. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 SCR 3 and Gordon v. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 SCR 27. 6. That the trial judge, by determining that the respondent was entitled to spousal support, made errors in law, errors in principle, andsignificantly misapprehended the evidence, and is clearly wrong: a.
By not giving sufficient reasons to explain his conclusion with respect to entitlement; b. By conducting the analysis of entitlement under
Section 15.2 of the Divorce Act, whereas the claim was made under Section 115(6)of the Family Services Act; c. By misapplying the principles with respect to a determination of entitlement to support; d. Made palpable and overriding errors in his assessment of the evidence pertaining to entitlement; 7.
That, in the alternative to ground of appeal #6, if the trial judge was correct in finding entitlement to support, that the trial judge madeerrors in law, errors in principle, and significantly misapprehended the evidence, and is clearly wrong in his determination of thequantum and duration of spousal support, as well as the timing of a review of the order for support: a. By failing to address the question of whether the respondent was intentionally unemployed, and if so, imputing an income to herbased on her earning capacity; b.
By rendering a decision with respect to quantum of support relying solely on the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines, and lackingthe required analysis or explanation of how he arrived at the final figure upon which the soundness of it may be tested; c. By including the post-separation salary increase of the appellant (payor) into the Guidelines calculation, when there was nodemonstrated contribution by the respondent to the appellant’s ability to earn that income;
d. By ordering a lump sum payment of retroactive support based on gross income and using the Guidelines, when the form of the orderdoes not provide the appellant with tax deductibility for those payments. 8. That the trial judge erred in law, and in principle, by ordering the appellant to pay the special expense of daycare for the child whenthe mother was not working, contrary to the terms of a consent order signed by the same Judge on September 19, 2012. 9.
That the trial judge erred by not ordering the respondent to give the appellant her address, contrary to a previous court orderconsented to by the parties on August 9, 2011, and considering the evidence given at trial by the respondent that she was deliberately notfollowing that order, and thus in contempt of court. In essence, the appeal attacks the supervisory access provisions of the trial judge’s custody order and the entitlement to spousal support,and if that fails, the quantum of spousal support, and the special expenses for the child of the marriage. III.
Motion for Further Evidence [6] At the hearing the appellant presented a motion under Rule 62.21(2) of the Rules of Court, which allows thisCourt to receive further evidence: (
a) as to matters which have occurred after the date of the order or decision appealed from; and (
b) onspecial grounds, upon any question of fact. Leave to adduce further evidence requires the appellant prove that: 1) the evidence could not have been obtained with reasonable diligence at trial: Banque Nationale du Canada v. Desrosiers (1996), (NB CA), 167 N.B.R. (2d) 241, [1996] N.B.J. No 9 (C.A.) (QL); J.A.M. v. D.L.M., 2008 NBCA 2, 326 N.B.R. (2d)111, at para. 10; Doiron v. Wilcox, 2012 NBCA 70, 393 N.B.R. (2d) 183, at para. 21; 2) the evidence would probably have a material effect on the outcome of the case: Harrison (C.) & Sons Ltd. v.
General SecurityInsurance Co. (No. 1) (1988), (NB CA), 91 N.B.R. (2d) 395, [1988] N.B.J. No. 439 (C.A.) (QL); Guimond v.Guimond Estate (1996), (NB CA), 183 N.B.R.(2d) 125, [1996] N.B.J. No. 591 (C.A.) (QL); and 3) the evidence must be apparently credible: Fletcher v. Keilty, 2004 NBCA 34, 269 N.B.R. (2d) 302, at para. 59. [7] The evidence the appellant seeks to introduce is a further psychological report dated May 9, 2013, authoredby psychologist Dr. Drew Kingston.
The basis of this report, and the two produced at trial, relates to the appellant’s acknowledgedinterest in female teenagers (generally aged 12 to 18 years of age).
The reports also relate to the discovery, just prior to the breakup of theparties, that the appellant had a collection of written pornographic material and photographs depicting teenage girls (the pictures were ofconcern given the age of the children but were not pornographic in and of themselves). [8] The appellant submits the report would have an impact on the “best interests of the child” determination, andthat, if it had been considered by the trial judge, he would have ordered unsupervised access.
Specifically the new evidence is: 1) Since the end of the trial the appellant has completed six therapy sessions with Dr. Kingston reinforcing the low risk assessmentmade by the previous psychologist, Mr.
Galarneau; 2) Since the end of the trial the appellant has been unable to find supervisors on a regular basis, and so has not had regular access tothe child; 3) The respondent has refused in certain circumstances to allow access visits; and 4) The child is being hurt by the lack of access to the appellant father. [9] I am not persuaded that this further evidence, if introduced, would have had an important influence on the
results of this case. The report of Dr. Kingston is confirmatory of Mr. Galarneau’s report that the appellant presents as a low risk forcontact sexual offending. Mr. Galarneau noted that when the appellant’s biological child and step-child get older, and are within hispreferred age range that his risk will be slightly elevated, but will still remain in the low range. The trial judge was cognizant of thisevidence. [10] Since the trial, the appellant has also moved to Ottawa and has experienced difficulty in finding supervisors forhis access visits, except for when his parents from New Brunswick visit.
In my view, the appellant’s logistical problem with findingsupervisors, and any resulting effect on the child, is not a matter that occurred after the date of the order appealed from that would haveled the trial judge to reach a different conclusion. For these reasons I would dismiss the motion to adduce further evidence. IV. Standard of Review [11] In A.F.G. v. D.A.B., 2011 NBCA 100, [2011] N.B.J. No. 401 (QL), this Court reiterated the standard of reviewto be employed in custody cases such as this one: deference is required. Intervention on appeal is unjustified absent a material error:P.R.H. v.
M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100; MacLean v. MacLean, 2004 NBCA 75, 274 N.B.R. (2d) 90, at para. 18; J.P. v.R.R., 2004 NBCA 98, 278 N.B.R. (2d) 351, at para. 27; Scott v. Scott, 2004 NBCA 99, 278 N.B.R. (2d) 61, at para. 32 and Boudreau v.Brun, 2005 NBCA 106, 293 N.B.R. (2d) 126, at para. 5. Deference is owed to the trial judge’s assessment of the evidence when it comesto deciding who should have custody and on what terms. However, no deference is owed with respect to a question of law, including theidentification of the proper test to be applied: J.A.D. v.
L.D.D., 2010 NBCA 69, 364 N.B.R. (2d) 200. [12] The standard of review in spousal support cases is set out in Milton v. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 N.B.R. (2d)300. We will only interfere with a support order where there has been an error in principle, a significant misapprehension of the evidence,or the award is clearly wrong: Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518, [1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL), at para. 11 andJ.P. v. R.R., at para. 27. In short with respect to both issues, absent error, we cannot re-try the case. V. Best Interests of the Child [13] In this case the appellant sought an order for joint custody.
As an aside, it is difficult to reconcile an order ofjoint custody with an accompanying order of supervised access in a case such as this because of the high level of animosity between theparties. The judge himself described this as a “high conflict” case. Despite this fact, the joint custody order has not been cross-appealed.However, the judge was obviously convinced that the joint custody arrangement with supervised access gave the child maximum contactwith both parents. He relied on Young v. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 S.C.R. 3, [1993] S.C.J.
No. 112 (QL), in which theSupreme Court of Canada specifically rejected any requirement that harm be demonstrated before a Court may refuse or restrict access. In Young v. Young, McLachlin J., as she then was, confirmed the “best interests of the child” is the sole criteria in custody and accessdecisions: First, the “best interests of the child” test is the only test. The express wording of s. 16(8) of the Divorce Act requires the court to lookonly at the best interests of the child in making orders of custody and access. This means that parental preferences and “rights” play norole. Second, the test is broad.
Parliament has recognized that the variety of circumstances which may arise in disputes over custody andaccess is so diverse that predetermined rules, designed to resolve certain types of disputes in advance, may not be useful. Rather, it hasbeen left to the judge to decide what is in the “best interests of the child”, by reference to the “condition, means, needs and othercircumstances” of the child. Nevertheless, the judicial task is not one of pure discretion.
By embodying the “best interests” test inlegislation and by setting out general factors to be considered, Parliament has established a legal test, albeit a flexible one. Like all legaltests, it is to be applied according to the evidence in the case, viewed objectively. There is no room for the judge’s personal predilectionsand prejudices. The judge’s duty is to apply the law. He or she must not do what he or she wants to do but what he or she ought to do.
Third, s. 16(10) provides that in making an order, the court shall give effect “to the principle that a child of the marriage should have asmuch contact with each spouse as is consistent with the best interests of the child.” This is significant. It stands as the only specific factorwhich Parliament has seen fit to single out as being something which the judge must consider. By mentioning this factor, Parliament hasexpressed its opinion that contact with each parent is valuable, and that the judge should ensure that this contact is maximized.
Themodifying phrase “as is consistent with the best interests of the child” means that the goal of maximum contact of each parent with thechild is not absolute. To the extent that contact conflicts with the best interests of the child, it may be restricted. But only to that extent.
Parliament’s decision to maintain maximum contact between the child and both parents is amply supported by the literature, which suggests that children benefit from continued access: Michael Rutter, Maternal Deprivation Reassessed (1981), Robin Benians, “ Preserving Parental Contact: a Factor in Promoting Healthy Growth and Development in Children ”, in Jo Tunnard, ed., Fostering Parental Contact: Arguments in Favour of Preserving Contact Between Children in Care and Their Families (1982). [paras. 202-204] On the issue of access she continued: I would summarize the effect of the provisions of the Divorce Act on matters of access as follows.
The ultimate test in all cases is the best interests of the child. This is a positive test, encompassing a wide variety of factors. One of the factors which the judge seeking to determine what is in the best interests of the child must have regard to is the desirability of maximizing contact between the child and each parent. But in the final analysis, decisions on access must reflect what is in the best interests of the child. [para. 206] The following recent decisions of our Court have applied Young v. Young : K.C.W.V. v. K.L.P. , 2010 NBCA 70 , 363 N.B.R. (2d) 351 ; J.A.D. v. L.D.D . ; N.E.R. v.
J.D.M. 2011 NBCA 57 , 377 N.B.R. (2d) 147 . [ 14 ] The trial judge recognized the traditional view of the inappropriateness of joint custody without effective communication: Julien D. Payne, Payne on Divorce, 4th ed. (Toronto: Carswell, 1996), at 414. He further recognized the basic premise that, for joint custody to function properly for the benefit of the child, the parties both have to be involved in the child’s life. He concluded: “Parent-child relationships in today’s society to my mind lack susceptibility to single scenario definition” (para. 305).
He therefore fashioned an order that in his view responded to the “best interests of the child”. [ 15 ] In coming to his decision with respect to supervised access, the trial judge considered the two psychological reports. He viewed each to be a piece of the puzzle. Robert Doucet’s report is broader based than that of Mr. Galarneau and deals generally with parenting ability and issues of that nature. The trial judge recognized, that according to the Doucet report, there is no real danger of the appellant abusing his daughter. But Mr.
Doucet suggested, and the trial judge evidently accepted his recommendation, that there should be supervised visits until the appellant’s treating therapist considered there was no risk. [ 16 ] Mr. Galarneau is the regional psychologist employed by Corrections Canada. He has never testified in the area of the necessity of supervision of children because it is not within his area of expertise. In fact, his expertise is in the area of assessment and treatment of men who sexually offend. Mr. Galarneau’s particular assessment of the appellant was as to his risk of offending. Mr.
Galarneau testified that the size and the nature of the material that was discovered concerned him because of what he called the “yuck factor”; but, although disturbing, it did not elevate the risk of offending. Besides the material previously mentioned, the appellant also took hundreds of surreptitious photographs of a neighbour’s child without consent and pictures of other young girls in backyards and at the beach, without the subjects being aware of his doing so. Because the risk is not zero, Mr. Galarneau spoke of risk management.
He found it reasonable to formulate a plan for the appellant to ensure the safety of children: to avoid bathing children, to abstain from alcohol when alone with children and to take no pictures of children without consent. [ 17 ] Relying on this evidence, the trial judge recognized that, even though the risk of the appellant offending is low, it is nevertheless appropriate to put in place a safety plan for the children.
He was therefore convinced that supervision of access had to be ordered as a cautionary measure. [ 18 ] The trial judge was certainly aware of the respondent’s anger and disgust at her spouse’s behavior, but he did not make this the focus of his inquiry and he centered his decision on the “best interests of the child”. I agree with the judge’s conclusions where he offered the following: However, there is evidence of his proclivity or predilection for young girls, as noted. When I speak of Mr. B.P.’s proclivity or predilection I am talking of same in relation to young girls.
This proclivity or predilection, to the Court’s mind has advanced and he has some measure, from the Court’s perspective progressively acted out on same. I’m not here referring to his consensual interactions with his wife and his desire that she dress and or present herself as a younger person. I am however referring to his taking pictures of young children and in particular, the neighbor child and the literally hundreds of pictures he has taken of her. To my mind, this is certainly a further and progressive measure of acting out on his proclivity or predilection.
The taking of the pictures of the young girl is certainly an invasion of her personal privacy in the context of the number that were taken and the surreptitious manner in which they were taken. I can certainly understand Mrs. A.T.’s concern that there is a risk this progression could continue to be inclusive of acting out in relation to his own young children or others.
[…] Just as I accept that a person’s proclivity or predilections and the risk of them acting out may be influenced by contextual risk factors I believe the vulnerability of the objects of his proclivity or predilections is also a factor to consider. […] With respect to parenting, I find Mr. B.P., as Ms. A.T. are very highly intelligent individuals and both have demonstrated some ability to appropriately parent. Obviously, Ms. A.T. has had more opportunity to demonstrate that ability but the evidence does not indicate that Mr.
B.P. does not have the ability to appropriately parent a child, specifically his daughter. […] Based on the within I determine that the Courts Custody and Access regime I have ordered herein is in the best interests of “A”. Her mental emotional physical and financial welfare will be very well provided for. There is obviously a strong bond with both parents which is preserved as in her best interests. She maintains the consistency of care she has become accustomed to. As well the regime allows for the potential preservation of her ties to extended Family.
Under this regime she is in a secure environment insulated from any risk of harm and will be able to achieve her maximum potential and be a useful and productive member of society. [paras. 346, 358, 388 and 404] [ 19 ] Overall, the judge undertook a thorough analysis of the “best interests of the child” and provided a reasoned decision for granting the custody and access order. In P.R.H. v. M.E.L . , at para. 10 , we cited Van de Perre v.
Edwards , 2001 SCC 60 , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014 , and held that in preparing reasons in custody cases, a trial judge is expected to consider all relevant factors, but it would be unreasonable to require a judge to discuss every piece of evidence in his or her reasons. The trial judge here devoted a large segment of his written reasons to the question of supervised access. He recognized that supervised access was not the ideal situation for a father and child (para. 317) and that it is in the “best interests of the child” to maintain and foster a meaningful relationship with both parents (para. 318).
He acknowledged that both parents are loving parents and have a tremendous amount to contribute to the long-term welfare of their daughter (para. 329). [ 20 ] With respect to the supervised access order, I am in agreement with the carefully considered reasons of the trial judge. He relied on the evidence and made a determination with respect to the “best interests of the child”. He came to the conclusion that supervised access was necessary as a precautionary measure.
Despite the appellant’s able arguments with respect to the lack of analysis regarding the “best interests of the child” criteria, the delegation of the decision to an expert, the reliance on stale evidence and the burden of proof, in my view, the trial judge did not make any reviewable error. This ground of appeal must fail. VI. Spousal and Child Support [ 21 ] The appellant’s complaint about spousal support is that the judge did not use the proper framework to determine entitlement first before fixing the quantum.
Although the trial judge referred to s. 15.2 of the Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2d Supp.) with respect to support orders, and this application was brought under s. 115(6) of the Family Services Act , that error in my view was not fatal. Subsection 115(6) reads as follows:
(6) In determining the amount, if any, of support in relation to need, for a dependant who is neither a child nor a child at or over the age of majority, the court shall consider all the circumstances of the parties, including, (
a) the assets and means of the dependant and of the respondent and any benefit or loss of benefit under a pension plan or annuity; (
b) the capacity of the dependant to provide for his or her own support; (
c) the capacity of the respondent to provide support; (
d) the age and the physical and mental health of the dependant and of the respondent; (
e) whether any physical or mental disability or other cause exists that impairs the ability of the dependant to support himself; (
f) the length of time the dependant and respondent cohabited; (
g) the needs of the dependant, having regard to the accustomed standard of living while the parties cohabited; (
h) the measures available for the dependant to become financially independent and the length of time and cost involved to enable the dependant to take such measures; (
i) the legal obligation of the respondent to provide support for any other person; (
j) the desirability of the dependant or respondent remaining at home to care for a child; (
k) any contribution by the dependant to the realization of the career potential of the respondent; 115
(6) Avant de fixer, eu égard au besoin, le montant de la prestation de soutien pour une personne à charge qui n’est pas un enfant ou qui n’est pas un enfant majeur, si prestation il y a, la cour doit prendre en considération tous les éléments de la situation des parties, y compris
a) les biens et les moyens de la personne à charge et du défendeur ainsi que les prestations ou pertes de prestations au
titre d’une pension ou d’une rente;
b) la capacité de la personne à charge de pourvoir elle-même à son soutien;
c) la capacité du défendeur de verser des prestations de soutien; \
d) l’âge et l’état de santé physique et mentale de la personne à charge et du défendeur;
e) la présence d’un handicap physique ou mental ou d’une autre cause réduisant la faculté de la personne à charge de pourvoir elle-même à son soutien;
f) la durée de cohabitation de la personne à charge et du défendeur;
g) les besoins de la personne à charge, compte tenu du niveau de vie auquel elle était habituée à l’époque où les parties cohabitaient;
h) les mesures que peut prendre la personne à charge pour acquérir son indépendance financière ainsi que le temps dont elle aura besoin pour prendre ces mesures et le coût correspondant;
i) l’obligation légale du défendeur de pourvoir au soutien de toute autre personne;
j) l’opportunité pour la personne à charge ou le défendeur de demeurer à la maison pour se charger d’un enfant;
k) la part que la personne à charge a prise à la réalisation du potentiel professionnel du défendeur;
There is an abundance of jurisprudence from this Court demonstrating the similarity between this
section and the comparable
section inthe Divorce Act. If it were not so, there might have been a reversible error. [22] In Blake v. Blake (1998), (NB CA), 203 N.B.R. (2d) 134, [1998] N.B.J. No. 314 (C.A.)(QL), the trial judge, in making a spousal support order, took into consideration the criteria under s. 115(6) of the Family Services Actand the objectives under the Divorce Act, as well as the principles enunciated in Moge v. Moge, (SCC), [1992] 3 S.C.R.813, [1992] S.C.J. No. 107 (QL). He considered the parties’ employment, health, and their respective financial positions. [23] In J.P. v. R.R. the Court cited MacLean v.
MacLean for the proposition that the analytical framework for theadjudication of a request for spousal support, as corollary relief in a divorce proceeding, necessarily begins with an examination of thepertinent legislative provisions (para. 57). The same is true when assessing an application for spousal support pursuant to the FamilyServices Act. Richard J.A. pointed out, however, the similarity between the provisions in the Family Services Act and the Divorce Act: Careful scrutiny of those provisions reveals a close parallel between the factors to be considered in assessing spousal support pursuant tothat
section and those when similar relief is sought pursuant to the Divorce Act. This Court has consistently held that the principlesgoverning support set out in the Divorce Act are similar to those governing applications under the Family Services Act: Morris v. Morris(1997), (NB CA), 187 N.B.R. (2d) 205 (C.A.) and Lagacé v. Lagacé (1999), (NB CA), 221N.B.R. (2d) 183 (C.A.). Thus, decisions made pursuant to the Divorce Act are relevant when considering support applications under theFamily Services Act. The overarching principle expressed in Moge v.
Moge, (SCC), [1992] 3 S.C.R. 813 is equally applicable to spousalsupport applications made pursuant to the Family Services Act: that is, the spousal support provisions of the Family Services Act must beinterpreted so as to equitably distribute between the spouses the economic consequences of marriage and its breakdown. [paras. 57-58] See also White v. White, [1998] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 17, [1998] N.B.J.
No. 87 (Q.B.) (QL), where Athey, J. reviews the factors listedin both statutes with respect to support. [24] Although the trial judge referred to the wrong statute, he referred to the jurisprudence I suggest applies toorders under either statute: Moge v. Moge; Ross v. Ross (1995), (NB CA), 168 N.B.R. (2d) 147, [1995] N.B.J. No. 463(C.A.) (QL), Bracklow v. Bracklow, (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 420, [1999] S.C.J. No. 14 (QL) and Hickey v. Hickey.
Inhis review of the evidence, he canvassed the criteria found in s. 115(6), including the respective historic roles the parties played in thehousehold during the four-year marriage (six years of cohabitation). He recognized that neither party is guaranteed the standard of livingenjoyed during the marriage when the parties combine their resources in the partnership. He concluded the respondent suffered more ofan economic disadvantage than the appellant upon the dissolution of the marriage and he made an order fashioned to aid the respondentin becoming financially independent.
Finally, the trial judge came to the conclusion the respondent has a need for support and theappellant has the ability to pay for the period claimed (para. 450), thus, he made a non-compensatory award. I would not disturb thatorder. [25] With respect to quantum, the appellant argues the respondent’s decision to return to school instead of workingamounted to intentional unemployment, and that, as a consequence, income should be imputed to her for the period she was studying.The respondent has two degrees, a science degree in kinesiology and an education degree. She decided to take a one year paralegalcourse.
The trial judge found she cannot be faulted for changing career paths; she made a reasonable decision to leave teaching tobecome a paralegal. She researched the job market in order to improve her earning capacity and, after completing the one-year course,will, in her estimation, earn more money. These findings support the trial judge’s decision that the respondent was not intentionallyunemployed and therefore no income should have been imputed to her. [26] The appellant criticizes the trial judge who, in applying the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines, used themid-range level of support.
Although this Court held in D.L.M. v. J.A.M., 2008 NBCA 2, 326 N.B.R. (2d) 111, that judges “should”apply the Guidelines, we expanded: Spousal support raises another issue. A judge must first determine entitlement, and then, if entitlement exists, should apply the federalSpousal Support Advisory Guidelines. Yemchuk v. Yemchuk (2005), 215 B.C.A.C. 193, [2005] B.C.J. No. 1748 (QL), 2005 BCCA 406,at paras. 63 and 64, illustrates the need to do a thorough analysis of entitlement before any consideration of the Federal Spousal AdvisoryGuidelines:
It is also important to note that the Advisory Guidelines do not deal with entitlement to support, but are only relevant to issues of quantumand duration of support once entitlement has been resolved. Nor do they address situations in which there are prior agreements betweenthe parties dealing with spousal support. It should also be stressed that the Advisory Guidelines are intended to reflect the current law, rather than to change it.
They were draftedby the authors after extensive analyses of the authorities regarding spousal support across the country, particularly the Moge, [ (SCC), [1992] 3 S.C.R. 813], and Bracklow, [ (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 420], decisions and those followingthereafter. As recently as July 2005, in the recent decision of W. v. W., 2005 BCSC 1010, [2005] B.C.J. No. 1481, Madam JusticeMartinson reviewed numerous decisions in British Columbia following Moge and Bracklow and stated (at para. 25) that in her view, theAdvisory Guidelines were in accordance with those authorities.
While decisions can undoubtedly be found in which the result would notaccord with the Advisory Guidelines, I am satisfied that their intention and general effect is to build upon the law as it exists, rather thanto present an entirely new approach to the issue of spousal support. For that reason, like Madam Justice Martinson and many otherjudges, I have no hesitation in viewing the Advisory Guidelines as a useful tool to assist judges in assessing the quantum and duration ofspousal support.
They do not operate to displace the courts’ reliance on decided authorities (to the extent that relevant authorities areforthcoming) but to supplement them. In that regard, they do not constitute evidence, but are properly considered as part of counsels’submissions. [para. 45] [27] In Smith v. Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208, at para. 35, Quigg J.A. underscored the Guidelineswere not meant to usurp the discretionary powers of trial judges.
The jurisprudence does not approve of mandatory application of therange of support suggested by the Guidelines, though giving reasons for departure from the range avoids the appearance of arbitrariness.Despite this, this Court has not gone so far as to say one range (low, middle or high) is the default position and reasons should be givenfor deviating from it. I am not prepared to do so now on the facts of this case. Here, in my view, the trial judge, after finding there wasentitlement to support, exercised his discretion in assessing the quantum and duration of spousal support.
As to quantum, there wasevidence to support his decision and he made no error in fixing the quantum of support. With respect to duration, the trial judge providedfor a review of support within 24 months (September 23, 2015) which may be irrelevant since the parties now live in Ontario. [28] The trial judge awarded retroactive spousal support to the respondent from August 1, 2011, the date of filingthe Application, to the first day of trial (Kerr v. Baranow, 2011 SCC 10, [2011] 1 S.C.R. 269, at paras. 200-219) based on the appellant’s2011 income of $83,607, 2012 income of $41,368, and 2013 income of $90,000.
The Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines are based onthe premise that periodic spousal support is deductible by the payor and taxable in the hands of the payee. Both Courts of Appeal inAlberta and British Columbia have decided lump sum spousal support calculated by reference to the Spousal Support AdvisoryGuidelines needs to be “netted down” to reflect its tax free status. Normally there needs to be timely evidence adduced with respect to theappropriate adjustment. In Samoilova v. Mahnic, 2014 ABCA 65, [2014] A.J. No. 154 (QL), the Court explained: According to Revenue Canada’s Tax
Interpretation Bulletin (IT-530R, para 4), in order for spousal support payments to be deductiblethey must be payable as an allowance for the maintenance of the recipient on a periodic basis. An amount paid as a single lump sum willgenerally not qualify as being payable on a periodic basis. To quote paragraph 22 of the
Interpretation Bulletin: a lump sum payment required by a court order ... in respect of a period prior to the date of the order ... would not be considered aqualifying support amount for purpose of subsection 56.1(4) [of the Income Tax Act ]. So, retroactive or lump sum spousal support payments are generally not deductible by its payer.
And, according to paragraph 3 of theInterpretation Bulletin, “if the payer is not entitled to an income deduction for support amounts paid, the recipient is not required toinclude such amounts in income.” [para. 2] [29] In Samoilova, the Alberta Court of Appeal upheld the trial judge’s decision to make a deduction, based upon anaveraging of what he considered to be the approximate marginal tax rates of the parties to come up with a single discount rate (30%).
TheCourt commented that, although the deduction may not have been precisely reflective of what the actual tax consequences of periodicspousal support payments would have been had they been paid and received on a current basis, his deduction was based on the evidencewhich was presented to him: see also Rockall v. Rockall, 2010 ABCA 278, [2010] A.J. No. 1064 (QL) and Robinson v. Robinson, 2012BCCA 497, [2012] B.C.J. No. 2572 (QL). [30] In Bastarache v.
Bastarache, 2012 NBQB 75, 387 N.B.R. (2d) 152, Walsh J. went so far as to say that, whenthe marginal tax rate is not known, it is acceptable to apply an arbitrary amount: The approach in Murray v. Murray, supra, in Chalifoux v. Chalifoux 2008 ABCA 70 and in Vanasse v. Seguin (ONSC), [2008] O.J. No. 2832 (Supr. Ct.), as examples of a solution to this problem, was to fix, somewhat arbitrarily, a notional tax rate tothe lump sum retroactive spousal support award. I intend to follow this same approach and will apply a 30% notional tax rate to reduce
the size of the award accordingly. In doing so I am comforted by the following observation: It is clearly an error for the Court to ignore the tax discount issue, but arbitrary determination of tax rates seems to be acceptable in most cases. Courts are aware that this is an imperfect science unless they are provided with clear evidence of what discount rate to use. In addition, the factors of delay and potential interest entitlement of the payee spouse make approximations of the right net amount seem acceptable . (Marie L.
Gordon Q.C., An Update on Retroactive Child and Spousal Support: Five Years After S. (D.B.) v. G. (S.R.), National Judicial Institute Family Law Seminar, Toronto, Ont. (2012) at p. 66) [para. 45] [ 31 ] Although the trial judge was entitled to consider the tax consequences of lump-sum support relative to that of periodic payments, a review of the record reveals the issue was not squarely before him. Nor does it appear that any evidence was called with respect to the marginal tax rate to be utilized by the judge. The issue was not addressed in the appellant’s pre-trial brief.
Without commenting on whether using an arbitrary determination of tax rates is acceptable, and since we are allergic to arbitrary findings and arbitrary decision-making, it is preferable that this issue be argued with some degree of clarity before a judge so that he/she can exercise judicial discretion properly. I am not persuaded on the facts of this case that because the trial judge ignored the tax implications of the retroactive order of spousal support that the award is clearly wrong: Hickey v. Hickey , at para. 11 . [ 32 ] The child support special expense in question is for daycare.
The appellant argues the trial judge erred in principle by ordering him, contrary to what was contained in a previous consent order, to pay for daycare for the child when the mother was not working. The question of the special expense was clearly specified in the application before the trial judge. The trial judge addressed the argument. While the child was going to daycare only three days a week it was still necessary to pay for five days a week or the child would lose her place (para. 427).
There is no basis to interfere with the pro-rated order for special expenses. [ 33 ] Finally, the appellant asks us to correct the trial judge’s order for the respondent to provide her address to the appellant. Since this matter will be before the Court of Queen’s Bench on a contempt motion, I am of the opinion it would be best left to that forum to decide the issue. [ 34 ] For these reasons, I am not persuaded the judge made any error that would provide a basis for intervention. I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $1,500. ____________________________________ M.E.L. LARLEE, J.A.
WE CONCUR: __________________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. __________________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE [1] Il s’agit d’un appel à l’encontre d’une décision d’un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, accordant des mesures réparatoires prévues dans la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2, concernant l’accès à
une enfant à charge, la pension alimentaire au profit de l’enfant (dépenses spéciales) et la pension alimentaire au profit de l’épouse. I. Contexte [2] L’appelant et l’intimée ont commencé à cohabiter en septembre 2005, se sont mariés le 11 août 2007 et sesont séparés le 29 juillet 2011. Il y a une enfant à charge, A., maintenant âgée de cinq ans. L’intimée a aussi une enfant d’un mariageprécédent, L., âgée de 11 ans. Le 8 août 2011, l’appelant a déposé un avis de requête demandant la garde conjointe, l’accès et larépartition des biens matrimoniaux.
Lors d’une réunion tenue le 9 août 2011, l’intimée a soutenu que l’appelant avait en sa possession dela pornographie juvénile, mais elle n’a pas soulevé d’allégation de violence à l’endroit d’un enfant. Elle a saisi la GRC de son allégation.Elle a saisi la GRC de son allégation. Toutefois, aucune accusation n’a été portée contre l’appelant par la GRC relativement à l’allégationde l’intimée. [3] Par consentement, deux rapports psychologiques d’évaluation de l’appelant ont été déposés à la Courconformément à l’art. 8 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille. Le rapport de Robert Doucet, déposé le 26 août 2011, a évalué sa capacitéparentale. Le rapport de Bernard Galarneau, déposé le 20 décembre 2011, a évalué le danger de le voir commettre des infractionssexuelles contre des enfants. [4] Un grand nombre de motions et d’ordonnances par consentement ont été déposées depuis le début du litige.Le procès s’est terminé les 26 et 27 février 2013, après un délai de sept mois. À la fin du procès, le juge a modifié le calendrierprovisoire d’accès, étant donné que l’appelant allait déménager à Ottawa le lendemain.
Le 23 septembre 2013, le juge du procès a renduune décision de 198 pages sur les diverses questions : il a conclu que l’appelant n’agissait pas in loco parentis envers sa belle-fille parmariage; les parties ont obtenu la garde conjointe de l’enfant à charge; l’accès de l’appelant a continué d’être sous surveillance; le foyermatrimonial et la voiture ont été partagés; l’appelant a reçu l’ordre de payer une pension alimentaire au profit de l’enfant, y compris lesdépenses spéciales, et une pension alimentaire au profit de l’intimée.
L’une des doléances de l’appelant en l’espèce est le retard duprononcé de la décision : il soutient que la preuve relative à l’ordonnance d’accès était périmée et que l’ordonnance de pensionalimentaire au profit de l’épouse était fondée sur des renseignements financiers qui n’étaient pas à jour. II. Les moyens d’appel [5] L’appelant invoque neuf moyens d’appel : [TRADUCTION] 1. La décision du juge du procès sur la question de l’accès du père (surveillé ou non, et le plan d’accè
s) auprès de l’enfant à chargerésulte d’erreurs de droit, d’erreurs de principe et d’une interprétation gravement erronée de la preuve, et elle est clairement erronée. 2.
Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en déléguant à un tiers, en l’occurrence un psychologue que les parties devraientchoisir, selon les par. 483 à 486 de sa décision, la détermination du moment où l’accès du père auprès de son enfant pourrait être exercésans surveillance aux termes du par. 365, car il n’y a aucune autorité, d’origine législative ou autre, expresse ou tacite, qui permettrait cegenre de délégation du pouvoir de la Cour de rendre des décisions relatives à l’accès. 3.
Le juge du procès a fait erreur en rendant une décision relative à l’accès à partir d’une preuve périmée concernant l’intérêt supérieurde l’enfant, à la suite d’un ajournement de longue durée avant la conclusion du procès et d’une période additionnelle de sept mois prisepar le juge pour rendre sa décision après l’achèvement du procès, et en ne tenant pas compte d’une preuve à jour présentée par voie d’unemotion déposée le 6 juin 2013 au sujet de la situation modifiée de l’enfant et des parties. 4.
Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en n’imposant pas à la mère la charge de prouver que les restrictions à l’accès,auparavant imposées par consentement de façon provisoire en attendant une nouvelle évaluation, étaient encore nécessaires dans l’intérêtsupérieur de l’enfant, appliquant ainsi incorrectement les principes relatifs à l’attribution de l’accès, et en particulier la restriction dudroit d’accès, qui ont été formulés par la Cour suprême du Canada dans l’arrêt Young c. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S.3. 5.
À l’égard de l’accès du père, le juge du procès n’a pas procédé à une analyse convenable de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant selon lepoint de vue de celui-ci, en accordant un poids considérable aux vues et préférences de la mère, ce qui est contraire aux principes établispar la Cour suprême du Canada dans les arrêts Young c. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S. 3, et Gordon c. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 27. 6.
Le juge du procès, en déterminant que l’épouse intimée avait droit à une pension alimentaire à son profit, a commis des erreurs dedroit et des erreurs de principe et a interprété la preuve de façon gravement erronée, et la décision est clairement erronée :
a) parce qu’il n’a pas donné des motifs suffisants pour expliquer sa conclusion relative au droit à pension;
b) parce qu’il a procédé à l’analyse du droit à pension selon l’art. 15.2 de la
Loi sur le divorce, alors que la demande avait été faite envertu du par. 115(6) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille;
c) parce qu’il a appliqué incorrectement les principes relatifs à la détermination du droit à une pension alimentaire;
d) parce qu’il a commis des erreurs manifestes et dominantes dans son évaluation de la preuve relative au droit à pension. 7. Subsidiairement au moyen d’appel no 6, si le juge du procès a eu raison de conclure au droit à une pension alimentaire, il a commisdes erreurs de droit et des erreurs de principe et a interprété la preuve de façon gravement erronée, et il a clairement eu tort en décidant lemontant et la durée de la pension alimentaire au profit de l’épouse ainsi qu’en fixant le moment d’une révision de l’ordonnancealimentaire :
a) en n’examinant pas la question de savoir si l’intimée a choisi de ne pas travailler et, dans l’affirmative, en ne lui imputant pas unrevenu en fonction de sa capacité de gain;
b) en rendant une décision concernant le montant de la pension alimentaire qui était fondée uniquement sur les Lignes directricesfacultatives en matière de pensions alimentaires pour époux en l’absence de l’analyse ou de l’explication nécessaire de sa manièred’arriver au montant final, qui permettrait d’en évaluer la justesse;
c) en incluant l’augmentation de salaire de l’appelant (l’époux payeur) après la séparation dans le calcul d’après les Lignes directricesalors qu’aucune contribution de l’intimée à la capacité de l’appelant de gagner ce revenu n’a été démontrée;
d) en ordonnant le paiement d’un montant forfaitaire de pension rétroactive fondé sur le revenu brut et en utilisant les Lignesdirectrices, alors que la formule de l’ordonnance ne prévoit pas que ces paiements de l’appelant seront déductibles d’impôt. 8. Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit et de principe en ordonnant à l’appelant de payer les dépenses spéciales de garderiede l’enfant lorsque la mère ne travaillait pas, ce qui est contraire aux conditions d’une ordonnance par consentement signée par le mêmejuge le 19 septembre 2012. 9.
Le juge du procès a commis une erreur en n’ordonnant pas à l’intimée de donner son adresse à l’appelant, ce qui est contraire à uneordonnance antérieure de la Cour rendue avec le consentement des parties le 9 août 2011, compte tenu de la preuve fournie au procès parl’intimée qui indiquait qu’elle refusait délibérément de respecter cette ordonnance, commettant ainsi un outrage au tribunal.
En somme, l’appel conteste les dispositions de l’ordonnance de garde du juge du procès concernant l’accès sous surveillance et le droit àune pension alimentaire au profit de l’épouse ou, si ce droit est confirmé, le montant de cette pension alimentaire, ainsi que les dépensesspéciales de l’enfant à charge. III. Motion en présentation d’une preuve complémentaire [6] À l’audience, l’appelant a présenté une motion en vertu de la règle 62.21(2) des Règles de procédure, quipermet à notre Cour de recueillir une preuve complémentaire :
a) sur des points survenus après la date de l’ordonnance ou de la décisionportée en appel et
b) sur toute question de fait, pour des motifs spéciaux. Pour être autorisé à présenter une preuve complémentaire,l’appelant doit prouver : 1) que la preuve n’aurait pas pu être produite au procès par l’exercice de diligence raisonnable : Banque Nationale du Canada c. Desrosiers (1996), (NB CA), 167 R.N.-B. (2e) 241, [1996] A.N.-B. no 9 (C.A.) (QL), D.L.M. c. J.A.M., 2008 NBCA 2, 326 R.N.-B. (2e) 111, au par. 10, et Doiron c. Wilcox, 2012 NBCA 70, 393 R.N.-B. (2e) 183, au par. 21; 2) que la preuve aurait probablement une incidence importante sur l’issue de l’affaire : Harrison (C.) & Son Ltd. c.
General Security Insurance Co. (No. 1) (1988), (NB CA), 91 R.N.-B. (2e) 395, [1988] A.N.-B. no 439 (C.A.) (QL), et Guimond c. Guimond Estate (1996), (NB CA), 183 R.N.-B. (2e) 125, [1996] A.N.-B. no 591 (C.A.) (QL); et 3) que la preuve doit être apparemment crédible : Fletcher c. Keilty, 2004 NBCA 34, 269 R.N.-B. (2e) 302, au par. 59. [7] La preuve que l’appelant cherche à présenter est un autre rapport psychologique daté du 9 mai 2013 et dontl’auteur est le psychologue Drew Kingston, Ph. D.
Le motif de ce rapport, et des deux rapports produits au procès, se rapporte à l’intérêtreconnu de l’appelant pour les adolescentes (généralement âgées de 12 à 18 ans). Les rapports font aussi état de la découverte, justeavant la rupture entre les parties, du fait que l’appelant avait une collection de documents écrits pornographiques et des photosd’adolescentes (les photos étaient inquiétantes étant donné l’âge des enfants mais elles n’étaient pas, en soi, à caractère pornographique).
[8] L’appelant soutient que le rapport aurait une incidence sur la détermination de l’« intérêt supérieur del’enfant » et que, s’il avait été examiné par le juge du procès, celui-ci aurait ordonné l’accès sans surveillance. Plus précisément, lesnouveaux éléments de preuve sont les suivants : 1) Depuis la fin du procès, l’appelant a suivi six séances de thérapie avec M. Kingston, ce qui vient renforcer l’évaluation de faiblerisque faite par le psychologue précédent, M.
Galarneau. 2) Depuis la fin du procès, l’appelant a été incapable de trouver régulièrement des surveillants et n’a donc pas eu un accès régulierauprès de l’enfant. 3) Dans certaines circonstances, l’intimée a refusé des visites d’accès. 4) L’accès insuffisant au père appelant fait du tort à l’enfant. [9] Je ne suis pas convaincue que ces éléments de preuve additionnels, s’ils avaient été présentés, auraient eu uneinfluence importante sur l’issue de l’affaire. Le rapport de M. Kingston confirme celui de M. Galarneau indiquant que l’appelant présenteun faible risque d’infractions sexuelles avec contact direct. M.
Galarneau a indiqué que quand l’enfant biologique de l’appelant et sabelle-fille par mariage seront plus âgées et auront atteint sa tranche d’âge préférée, le risque sera légèrement plus élevé mais demeureraquand même faible. Le juge du procès était conscient de cette preuve. [10] Depuis le procès, l’appelant a également déménagé à Ottawa et a éprouvé de la difficulté à trouver dessurveillants pour ses visites d’accès, sauf lorsque ses parents, qui vivent au Nouveau-Brunswick, le visitent.
À mon avis, la difficultélogistique de l’appelant à trouver des surveillants, et les répercussions qu’elle peut avoir sur l’enfant, n’est pas survenue après la date del’ordonnance portée en appel et n’aurait donc pas amené le juge du procès à tirer une conclusion différente. Pour ces motifs, je rejetteraisla motion en présentation d’une preuve complémentaire. IV. Norme de contrôle [11] Dans l’arrêt A.F.G. c. D.A.B., 2011 NBCA 100, [2011] A.N.-B. no 401 (QL), notre Cour a réitéré la norme decontrôle à appliquer dans les affaires de garde telles que la présente espèce : il faut faire preuve de déférence.
Une intervention en appel est injustifiée en l’absence d’une erreur importante : voir P.R.H. c. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, MacLean c. MacLean, 2004 NBCA 75, 274 R.N.-B. (2e) 90, au par. 18, J.P. c. R.R., 2004 NBCA 98, 278 R.N.-B. (2e) 351, au par. 27, Scott c. Scott, 2004 NBCA 99, 278 R.N.-B. (2e) 61, au par. 32, et Boudreau c. Brun, 2005 NBCA 106, 293 R.N.-B. (2e) 126, au par. 5. Il faut faire preuve deretenue à l’égard de l’évaluation de la preuve faite par le juge du procès quand il s’agit de décider qui devrait avoir la garde et à quellesconditions.
Toutefois, aucune retenue n’est requise quand il s’agit d’une question de droit, y compris la détermination du critère approprié à appliquer : voir J.A.D. c. L.D.D., 2010 NBCA 69, 364 R.N.-B. (2e) 200. [12] La norme de contrôle applicable aux affaires de pension alimentaire au profit du conjoint est décrite dans l’arrêt Milton c. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 R.N.-B. (2e) 300. Nous ne modifierons une ordonnance alimentaire qu’en cas d’erreur deprincipe ou d’erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou encore si la décision est manifestement erronée : voir Hickey c.
Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), au par. 11, et J.P. c. R.R., au par. 27. Bref, à l’égard desdeux questions, en l’absence d’une erreur, nous ne pouvons pas refaire le procès de l’affaire. V. Intérêt supérieur de l’enfant [13] En l’espèce, l’appelant a demandé une ordonnance de garde conjointe. Soit dit en passant, il est difficile deconcilier une ordonnance de garde conjointe avec une ordonnance accessoire d’accès sous surveillance dans une affaire comme enl’espèce, en raison du haut degré d’animosité entre les parties.
Le juge lui-même a dit que c’était un cas [TRADUCTION] « de conflitintense ».
Malgré ce fait, un appel reconventionnel n’a pas été formé à l’encontre de l’ordonnance de garde conjointe. Toutefois, le jugeétait manifestement convaincu que l’arrangement de garde conjointe avec accès sous surveillance donnait à l’enfant le plus de contactspossible avec les deux parents. Il s’est appuyé sur l’arrêt Young c. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S. 3, [1993] A.C.S.
n o 112 (QL) , dans lequel la Cour suprême du Canada a expressément rejeté toute obligation de démontrer un préjudice avant que la Cour puisse refuser ou restreindre l’accès. Dans l’arrêt Young c. Young , la juge McLachlin (tel était alors son titre) a confirmé que l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » est l’unique critère dans les décisions portant sur la garde et l’accès : Premièrement, le critère de « l’intérêt de l’enfant » est le seul critère. Le paragraphe 16(8) de la
Loi sur le divorce prévoit expressément qu’en rendant une ordonnance de garde ou de droit d’accès, le tribunal ne doit tenir compte que de l’intérêt de l’enfant : les « droits » du père ou de la mère ainsi que les préférences pour l’un d’eux ne jouent donc aucun rôle. Deuxièmement, il s’agit d’un critère large. Le législateur a reconnu que, dans les conflits entourant la garde et le droit d’accès, les circonstances varient tellement que des règles prédéterminées, visant à résoudre d’avance certains types de conflits, peuvent ne s’avérer d’aucune utilité.
Il a plutôt laissé au juge le soin de décider quel est « l’intérêt de l’enfant », compte tenu « de ses ressources, de ses besoins et, d’une façon générale, de sa situation. » La tâche des tribunaux n’est pas, pour autant, purement discrétionnaire. En incorporant dans la loi le critère de « l’intérêt de l’enfant » et en précisant les facteurs généraux à prendre en considération, le législateur a établi un critère juridique, bien qu’il s’agisse d’un critère souple. Comme tous les critères juridiques, il doit être appliqué suivant la preuve au dossier, en toute objectivité.
Il n’y a pas de place pour les prédilections et les préjugés du juge. Son devoir est d’appliquer la loi; non pas d’agir comme il ou elle le veut, mais comme il ou elle est tenu de le faire. Troisièmement, le par. 16(10) dispose qu’en rendant une ordonnance, le tribunal applique « le principe selon lequel l’enfant à charge doit avoir avec chaque époux le plus de contact compatible avec son propre intérêt ». Ces termes sont révélateurs. C’est le seul facteur que le législateur a choisi de soumettre expressément à l’attention du juge.
Ce faisant, il a souligné l’importance qu’il accorde au contact avec chacun des parents et à la nécessité pour le juge de veiller à sa maximisation. Toutefois, la réserve qu’il introduit par les mots « compatible avec son propre intérêt » signifie que l’objectif d’établir le maximum de contact entre l’enfant et ses parents n’est pas absolu. Dans la mesure où ce contact entre en conflit avec l’intérêt de l’enfant, il peut être assorti de restrictions. Mais seulement dans cette mesure.
La décision du législateur de favoriser au maximum les contacts entre l’enfant et ses parents s’appuie largement sur les recherches effectuées en la matière, lesquelles concluent à l’effet bénéfique d’une continuité de l’accès : Michael Rutter, Maternal Deprivation Reassessed (1981), Robin Benians, « Preserving Parental Contact: a Factor in Promoting Healthy Growth and Development in Children », dans Jo Tunnard, dir., Fostering Parental Contact: Arguments in Favour of Preserving Contact Between Children in Care and Their Families (1982). [Par. 202 à 204] Sur la question de l’accès, elle a ajouté : Je résumerais l’effet des dispositions de la
Loi sur le divorce en matière de droit d’accès de la façon suivante : dans tous les cas, le critère ultime est l’intérêt de l’enfant. Il s’agit d’un critère positif, qui se décompose en une grande variété de facteurs. L’un de ces facteurs, que le juge qui cherche à déterminer l’intérêt de l’enfant doit prendre en considération, est l’opportunité de maximiser les contacts entre l’enfant et chacun de ses parents.
En dernière analyse, toutefois, c’est l’intérêt de l’enfant que doivent refléter les décisions portant sur le droit d’accès. [Par. 206] Les décisions récentes suivantes de notre Cour ont appliqué l’arrêt Young c. Young : K.C.W.V. c. K.L.P. , 2010 NBCA 70 , 363 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 351 , J.A.D. c. L.D.D . et N.E.R. c. J.D.M. , 2011 NBCA 57 , 377 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 147 . [14] Le juge du procès a reconnu l’idée traditionnelle voulant qu’une garde conjointe soit inappropriée en l’absence de communications efficaces : voir Julien D. Payne, Payne on Divorce, 4 e éd. (Toronto : Carswell, 1996), à la p. 414.
Il a également reconnu le principe fondamental selon lequel, pour que la garde conjointe fonctionne comme il se doit pour le bien de l’enfant, les deux parties doivent jouer un rôle dans la vie de l’enfant. Il a conclu : [TRADUCTION] « Je suis d’avis que dans la société d’aujourd’hui, les relations entre parents et enfants sont impossibles à définir selon un scénario unique » (par. 305).
En conséquence, il a conçu une ordonnance qui favorisait, à son avis, l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ». [15] En parvenant à sa décision concernant l’accès sous surveillance, le juge du procès a tenu compte des deux rapports psychologiques. Il a considéré chacun d’eux comme un morceau du casse-tête. Le rapport de Robert Doucet a une portée plus large que celui de M. Galarneau et traite en général de la capacité parentale et de questions du genre. Le juge du procès a reconnu que, selon le rapport Doucet, il n’y a pas vraiment de danger que l’appelant fasse subir des violences à sa fille. Mais M.
Doucet a déclaré, et il est évident que le juge du procès a accepté sa recommandation, que les visites devraient avoir lieu sous surveillance jusqu’à ce que le thérapeute qui traite l’appelant estime qu’il n’y a aucun risque. [16] M. Galarneau est le psychologue régional employé par Service correctionnel Canada. Il n’a jamais témoigné au sujet de la nécessité d’une surveillance des enfants, car cela ne relève pas de son domaine d’expertise. En fait, son expertise consiste dans
l’évaluation et le traitement des hommes qui commettent des infractions sexuelles. Son évaluation particulière de l’appelant était centrée sur le risque que pose celui-ci de commettre des infractions. M. Galarneau a témoigné que l’ampleur et la nature du matériel découvert le préoccupaient à cause de ce qu’il a appelé son [TRADUCTION] « côté dégoûtant » mais que, bien que ce soit troublant, cela n’augmentait pas le risque d’infraction.
En plus du matériel déjà mentionné, l’appelant a également pris en cachette des centaines de photos de l’enfant d’un voisin sans son consentement et des photos d’autres jeunes filles dans les arrière-cours et à la plage, sans que celles-ci soient au courant de ce qu’il faisait. Puisque le risque n’est pas nul, M. Galarneau a parlé de gestion du risque.
Il a trouvé raisonnable de formuler un plan pour l’appelant afin d’assurer la sécurité des enfants : éviter de baigner les enfants, s’abstenir de consommer des boissons alcoolisées quand il est seul avec les enfants, et ne prendre aucune photo d’enfant sans consentement. [17] Sur la foi de cette preuve, le juge du procès a reconnu que, bien que le risque que l’appelant commette une infraction soit faible, il est tout de même approprié d’établir un plan de sécurité pour les enfants.
Il a été convaincu en conséquence qu’il fallait ordonner l’accès sous surveillance comme mesure de précaution. [18] Le juge du procès était certainement conscient de la colère et du dégoût de l’intimée face au comportement de son époux, mais il n’en a pas fait le nœud de son analyse et a centré sa décision sur l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ». Je souscris aux conclusions du juge lorsqu’il a déclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Toutefois, il y a des preuves indiquant sa propension ou sa prédilection pour les jeunes filles, comme je l’ai dit.
Quand je parle de la propension ou de la prédilection de B.P., je veux dire à l’endroit de jeunes filles. La Cour est d’avis que cette propension ou cette prédilection a progressé et, selon l’opinion de la Cour, B.P. est progressivement passé aux actes dans une certaine mesure. En ce moment, je ne veux pas parler de ses relations consensuelles avec son épouse et de son désir de la voir s’habiller ou se présenter comme une personne plus jeune. Je veux plutôt parler du fait qu’il prend des photos de jeunes enfants, et en particulier de la petite voisine et des centaines de photos qu’il a prises d’elle.
À mon avis, cela constitue certainement un degré additionnel et progressif de concrétisation de sa propension ou de sa prédilection. Le fait de prendre les photos de la jeune fille constitue certainement une invasion de son intimité personnelle compte tenu du nombre de ces photos et de sa manière de les prendre en cachette.
Je peux certainement comprendre la préoccupation de A.T. à l’idée qu’il existe un danger de voir cette progression continuer pour inclure un passage aux actes envers ses propres jeunes enfants ou d’autres. […] Tout comme j’admets que la propension ou les prédilections de quelqu’un et le risque de le voir passer aux actes peuvent être influencés par des facteurs de risque selon le contexte, je crois que la vulnérabilité des cibles de sa propension ou de ses prédilections est aussi un facteur à considérer. […] Quant à l’exercice du rôle parental, je conclus que B.P. et A.T. sont des personnes d’une intelligence supérieure et que les deux ont démontré une certaine capacité d’exercer ce rôle convenablement.
Évidemment, A.T. a eu plus d’occasions de démontrer cette capacité, mais la preuve n’indique pas que B.P. n’aurait pas la capacité d’être un bon père pour un enfant, pour sa fille en particulier. […] Pour ces motifs, je conclus que le régime judiciaire de garde et d’accès que j’ai ordonné dans ce jugement est dans l’intérêt supérieur d’A. Il pourvoira très bien à son bien-être mental, affectif, physique et financier. Un attachement solide à ses deux parents est évident, et il est préservé comme étant dans son intérêt supérieur. A. conserve la continuité des soins à laquelle elle s’est habituée.
De plus, ce régime lui offre la possibilité de préserver ses liens avec sa famille élargie. Sous ce régime, elle est dans un milieu sûr, à l’abri de tout risque de préjudice, et elle sera capable de réaliser pleinement son potentiel et de devenir une membre utile et productive de la société. [Par. 346, 358, 388 et 404] [19] Dans l’ensemble, le juge a effectué une analyse approfondie de l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » et a rendu une décision raisonnée à l’appui de l’ordonnance de garde et d’accès. Dans l’arrêt P.R.H. c. M.E.L . , au par. 10 , nous avons cité l’arrêt Van de Perre c.
Edwards , 2001 CSC 60 , [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014 , et nous avons déclaré que lorsqu’il élabore les motifs de sa décision dans une affaire de garde, le juge de première instance est censé prendre en considération tous les facteurs pertinents, mais qu’il serait déraisonnable d’exiger que le juge analyse chaque élément de preuve dans ses motifs. En l’espèce, le juge du procès a consacré une
grande part de ses motifs écrits à la question de l’accès sous surveillance. Il a reconnu que l’accès sous surveillance n’était pas la situation idéale pour un père et un enfant (par. 317) et qu’il est dans l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » de maintenir et de favoriser une relation valable avec les deux parents (par. 318). Il a reconnu que les deux parents sont des parents aimants et ont une immense contribution à apporter au bien-être à long terme de leur fille (par. 329). [20] Pour ce qui est de l’ordonnance d’accès sous surveillance, je souscris aux motifs mûrement réfléchis du juge du procès.
Il s’est appuyé sur la preuve et a rendu une décision concernant l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ». Il en est venu à la conclusion que l’accès sous surveillance était une mesure de précaution nécessaire.
Malgré les arguments de poids de l’appelant concernant l’analyse insuffisante des critères de l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant », la délégation de la décision à un expert, le crédit accordé à une preuve périmée et la charge de preuve, le juge du procès, à mon avis, n’a commis aucune erreur susceptible de révision. Ce moyen d’appel doit être rejeté. VI. Pension alimentaire au profit de l’épouse et de l’enfant [21] La doléance de l’appelant au sujet de la pension alimentaire au profit de l’épouse est que le juge n’a pas utilisé le cadre approprié pour déterminer d’abord le droit à une pension avant d’en fixer le montant. Bien que le juge du procès ait renvoyé à l’ art. 15.2 de la
Loi sur le divorce , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl.), au sujet des ordonnances alimentaires et que la présente requête ait été déposée en vertu du par. 115(6) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , cette erreur, à mon avis, n’était pas fatale. Le paragraphe 115(6) est libellé comme suit :
(6) In determining the amount, if any, of support in relation to need, for a dependant who is neither a child nor a child at or over the age of majority, the court shall consider all the circumstances of the parties, including, (
a) the assets and means of the dependant and of the respondent and any benefit or loss of benefit under a pension plan or annuity; (
b) the capacity of the dependant to provide for his or her own support; (
c) the capacity of the respondent to provide support; (
d) the age and the physical and mental health of the dependant and of the respondent; (
e) whether any physical or mental disability or other cause exists that impairs the ability of the dependant to support himself; (
f) the length of time the dependant and respondent cohabited; (
g) the needs of the dependant, having regard to the accustomed standard of living while the parties cohabited; (
h) the measures available for the dependant to become financially independent and the length of time and cost involved to enable the dependant to take such measures; (
i) the legal obligation of the respondent to provide support for any other person; (
j) the desirability of the dependant or respondent remaining at home to care for a child; (
k) any contribution by the dependant to the realization of the career potential of the respondent; 115
(6) Avant de fixer, eu égard au besoin, le montant de la prestation de soutien pour une personne à charge qui n’est pas un enfant ou qui n’est pas un enfant majeur, si prestation il y a, la cour doit prendre en considération tous les éléments de la situation des parties, y compris
a) les biens et les moyens de la personne à charge et du défendeur ainsi que les prestations ou pertes de prestations au
titre d’une pension ou d’une rente;
b) la capacité de la personne à charge de pourvoir elle-même à son soutien;
c) la capacité du défendeur de verser des prestations de soutien;
d) l’âge et l’état de santé physique et mentale de la personne à charge et du défendeur;
e) la présence d’un handicap physique ou mental ou d’une autre cause réduisant la faculté de la personne à charge de pourvoir elle-même à son soutien;
f) la durée de cohabitation de la personne à charge et du défendeur;
g) les besoins de la personne à charge, compte tenu du niveau de vie auquel elle était habituée à l’époque où les parties cohabitaient;
h) les mesures que peut prendre la personne à charge pour acquérir son indépendance financière ainsi que le temps dont elle aura besoin pour prendre ces mesures et le coût correspondant;
i) l’obligation légale du défendeur de pourvoir au soutien de toute autre personne;
j) l’opportunité pour la personne à charge ou le défendeur de demeurer à la maison pour se charger d’un enfant;
k) la part que la personne à charge a prise à la réalisation du potentiel professionnel du défendeur;
Une abondante jurisprudence de notre Cour démontre la ressemblance entre cet
article et l’article comparable de la
Loi sur le divorce. Sitel n’était pas le cas, il pourrait y avoir erreur justifiant l’infirmation de la décision. [22] Dans l’affaire Blake c. Blake (1998), (NB CA), 203 R.N.-B. (2e) 134, [1998] A.N.-B. no 314 (C.A.) (QL), le juge du procès, en rendant une ordonnance alimentaire au profit de l’épouse, a tenu compte des critères énumérés aupar. 115(6) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille et des objectifs formulés dans la
Loi sur le divorce ainsi que des principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Moge c. Moge, (SCC), [1992] 3 R.C.S. 813, [1992] A.C.S. no 107 (QL). Il a tenu compte de l’emploi des parties,de leur état de santé et de leur situation financière respective. [23] Dans l’arrêt J.P. c. R.R., la Cour a cité l’arrêt MacLean c. MacLean à l’appui de la proposition voulant que ladémarche analytique à suivre pour statuer sur une demande d’aliments au profit d’un époux à
titre de mesures accessoires dans unerequête en divorce commence nécessairement par un examen des dispositions législatives pertinentes (par. 57). La même chose est vraielorsqu’il s’agit d’évaluer une demande de prestations alimentaires au profit d’un époux sous le régime de la
Loi sur les services à lafamille. Le juge d’appel Richard a toutefois signalé la ressemblance entre les dispositions de la
Loi sur les services à la famille et cellesde la
Loi sur le divorce : Une lecture attentive de ces dispositions révèle qu’il existe un parallèle étroit entre les facteurs à considérer pour évaluer la prestationauquel un époux a droit en vertu de cet
article et les facteurs à considérer lorsqu’une mesure semblable est sollicitée sous le régime de laLoi sur le divorce. Notre Cour a régulièrement statué que les principes régissant les aliments qui sont énoncés dans la
Loi sur le divorcesont semblables à ceux qui régissent les demandes présentées sous le régime de la
Loi sur les services à la famille : voir les arrêts Morris c. Morris (1997), (NB CA), 187 R.N.-B. (2e) 205 (C.A.) et Lagacé c. Lagacé (1999), (NB CA), 221 R.N.-B. (2e) 183 (C.A.). Par conséquent, les décisions rendues en vertu de la
Loi sur le divorce sont pertinentes en ce qui concerneles demandes de prestations de soutien présentées sous le régime de la
Loi sur les services à la famille. Le principe déterminant énoncé dans l’arrêt Moge c. Moge, (SCC), [1992] 3 R.C.S. 813, s’applique également auxdemandes de prestations de soutien au profit d’un époux présentées en vertu de la
Loi sur les services à la famille : c’est-à-dire que lesdispositions concernant les prestations de soutien au profit d’un époux qui sont énoncées dans la
Loi sur les services à la famille doiventrecevoir une interprétation qui permet de répartir équitablement entre les époux les conséquences économiques du mariage et de sonéchec. [Par. 57 et 58] Voir aussi la décision White c. White, [1998] N.B.R. (2d) (Suppl.) No. 17, [1998] A.N.-B. no 87 (C.B.R.) (QL), où la juge Atheyexamine les facteurs énumérés dans les deux lois au sujet de la pension alimentaire. [24] Bien que le juge du procès ne se soit pas appuyé sur la bonne loi, il a renvoyé à une jurisprudence qui, d’aprèsmoi, s’applique aux ordonnances rendues en vertu de l’une ou l’autre loi : Moge c. Moge, Ross c.
Ross (1995), (NB CA), 168 R.N.-B. (2e) 147, [1995] A.N.-B. no 463 (C.A.) (QL), Bracklow c. Bracklow, (SCC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 420, [1999] A.C.S. no 14 (QL), et Hickey c. Hickey. Dans son examen de la preuve, il a passé en revue les critères énoncés au par. 115(6), ycompris les rôles respectifs joués par les parties dans le ménage pendant les quatre ans de mariage (six ans de cohabitation). Il a reconnuqu’aucune des deux parties n’a l’assurance de conserver le niveau de vie dont elles jouissaient pendant le mariage lorsqu’elles joignaientleurs ressources en partenariat.
Il a conclu que l’intimée avait été plus désavantagée économiquement que l’appelant par suite de ladissolution du mariage, et il a rendu une ordonnance conçue pour aider l’intimée à acquérir son indépendance financière. Enfin, le jugedu procès en est venu à la conclusion que l’intimée a besoin d’une pension alimentaire et que l’appelant a la capacité de la payer pendantla période réclamée (par. 450); il a donc rendu une ordonnance alimentaire non compensatoire.
Je ne modifierais pas cette ordonnance. [25] Pour ce qui est du montant, l’appelant soutient que la décision de l’intimée de retourner aux études équivalait àun choix de ne pas travailler et qu’en conséquence, un revenu devrait lui être imputé pour la période où elle est aux études. L’intimée adeux diplômes : un diplôme en sciences (en kinésiologie), et un diplôme en éducation. Elle a décidé de suivre un cours d’un an pourdevenir parajuriste.
Le juge du procès a conclu qu’on ne peut la blâmer de changer d’orientation de carrière; elle a pris une décisionraisonnable en quittant l’enseignement pour devenir parajuriste. Elle a fait des recherches sur le marché du travail pour améliorer sacapacité de gain et est d’avis qu’elle gagnera plus d’argent après avoir terminé le cours d’un an.
Ces conclusions appuient la décision dujuge du procès selon laquelle l’intimée n’a pas choisi de ne pas travailler et, en conséquence, aucun revenu ne devait lui être imputé. [26] L’appelant critique le juge du procès parce que, en appliquant les Lignes directrices facultatives en matière depensions alimentaires pour époux, il a fixé la pension alimentaire au milieu de l’échelle. Bien que notre Cour ait déclaré, dans l’arrêt
D.L.M. c. J.A.M., 2008 NBCA 2, 326 R.N.-B. (2e) 111, que les juges « devraient » appliquer les Lignes directrices, nous avons donné desprécisions : Les aliments au profit de l’épouse soulèvent une autre question. Le juge doit d’abord déterminer si le droit à des aliments existe etensuite, dans l’affirmative, il devrait appliquer les Lignes directrices facultatives en matière de pensions alimentaires pour épouxpubliées par le gouvernement fédéral. On trouve, aux par. 63 et 64 de l’arrêt Yemchuk c. Yemchuk (2005), 215 B.C.A.C. 193, [2005]B.C.J.
No. 1748 (QL), 2005 BCCA 406, une illustration de la nécessité d’effectuer une analyse approfondie du droit à des aliments avanttoute prise en compte des Lignes directrices facultatives en matière de pensions alimentaires pour époux : [TRADUCTION] Il est également important de noter que les Lignes directrices facultatives ne traitent pas du droit à une pension, mais uniquement dumontant et de la durée de la pension alimentaire une fois que ce droit a été établi. Elles ne visent pas non plus les situations danslesquelles il existe déjà des ententes portant sur des pensions alimentaires pour époux.
Il faut par ailleurs souligner que les Lignes directrices facultatives se veulent un reflet du droit actuel et n’ont pas vocation à le modifier. Leurs auteurs les ont rédigées après avoir analysé de façon approfondie la jurisprudence de tout le pays en matière de fi