2012 NBCA 25, 2012 NBCA 25
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK 125-11-CA CHAD RANDALL APPELLANT CHAD RANDALL APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Randall v. R., 2012 NBCA 25 Randall c.
R., 2012 NBCA 25 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Robertson The Honourable Justice Richard CORAM : L'honorable juge en chef Drapeau L'honorable juge Robertson L'honorable juge Richard Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: May 30, 2011 (conviction) August 23, 2011 (sentence) Appel d'une décision de la Cour provinciale : Le 30 mai 2011 (déclaration de culpabilité) Le 23 août 2011 (peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : Inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal hearing commenced: February 16, 2012 Début de l’audition de l’appel : Le 16 février 2012 Interlocutory decision: February 16, 2012 Décision interlocutoire : Le 16 février 2012
Counsel at hearing: Mr. Randall appeared in person For the respondent: Cameron H. Gunn Avocats à l'audience : M. Randall a comparu en personne Pour l’intimée : Cameron H. Gunn THE COURT The Court adjourns the hearing upon terms andconditions, which include an order providing for theassignment of counsel pursuant to s. 684 of theCriminal Code. LA COUR La Cour ajourne l’audience en imposant desconditions, y compris une ordonnance prévoyant ladésignation d’un avocat conformément à l’art. 684du Code criminel. The interlocutory decision was delivered by THE COURT (Orally) [1] The appellant is without counsel.
His appeal is against conviction for sexual assault, a very serious offencefor which he was sentenced to 30 months in jail. The appellant has applied for legal aid, but his application has not been ruled upon bythe Area Committee. He applied for legal aid in September 2011 and six months later has yet to receive a response. [2] The appellant’s defence at trial was funded through a Legal Aid Certificate. Upon inquiry, the appellantconfirmed he has no means to pay for a lawyer to represent him on the appeal. When asked if he had information to the contrary, counselfor the respondent advised he had none.
The appellant has yet to select counsel. Pursuant to s. 684 of the Criminal Code, the Court orderscounsel be assigned to represent the appellant. It is expected the appellant will have retained counsel prior to the resumption of thehearing as provided hereinafter. [3] In anticipation of the hearing on the merits, the Court requests submissions on the following issues: (
a) Did the trial judge commit an error of law in failing to deal with the defence of honest, but mistaken belief in consent? (
b) Are the trial judge’s ultimate findings on the issue of consent incompatible? (
c) Did the trial judge commit an error of law in failing to apply the framework articulated in R. v. W.(D.), (SCC),[1991] 1 S.C.R. 742, [1991] S.C.J. No. 26 (QL), having regard to the contents of the appellant’s videotaped statement and this Court’sdecision in R.S.L. v. R., 2006 NBCA 64, 300 N.B.R. (2d) 24?
[ 4 ] The hearing is adjourned and will resume on February 28, 2012 at 10:00 a.m., at which time the Court and the parties will engage in case management and hear any motion or application for interim or ancillary relief. ____________________________________ J. ERNEST DRAPEAU, CHIEF JUSTICE OF NEW BRUNSWICK _____________________________________ J.T. ROBERTSON, J.A. _____________________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A.