2019 NBCA 2, 2019 NBCA 2
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 125-17-CA RICHARD BRIGGS APPELLANT RICHARD BRIGGS APPELANT - and - - et - DESJARDINS SEED FARMS LTD. RESPONDENT FERMES SEMENCES DESJARDINS SEED FARMS LTD./LTÉE INTIMÉE Briggs v. Desjardins Seed Farms Ltd., 2019 NBCA 2 Briggs c.
Fermes Semences Desjardins Seed Farms Ltd./Ltée, 2019 NBCA 2 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 16, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 16 octobre 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 197 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBBR 197 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: May 22, 2018 Appel entendu : le 22 mai 2018 Judgment rendered: January 10, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 10 janvier 2019
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Derek Vihvelin For the respondent: Rodney J. Gillis, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Derek Vihvelin Pour l’intimée : Rodney J. Gillis, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed, with costs of $2,500 payable to the respondent. LA COUR Rejette l’appel et condamne l’appelant à des dépens de 2 500 $.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The dispute at the heart of this appeal involves the cultivation of high-end seed potatoes, and the impact of the presence of Bacterial Ring Rot in one of the grower’s fields on the legal obligations between the buyer, Desjardins Seed Farms Ltd., and the seller, Richard Briggs. As the field in question was not under cultivation for this specific contract, Mr. Briggs maintained the presence of the disease had no bearing on his contractual relationship with Desjardins. For its part, Desjardins disagreed, as did the trial judge, and Mr.
Briggs now seeks to overturn her decision on appeal. II. Background [ 2 ] At all material times, Desjardins was in the business of cultivating and marketing seed potatoes. It was under contract with a significant corporate customer, Hostess Frito-Lay, to grow seed potatoes which would then be used “for the cultivation of certain proprietary strains of seed potatoes owned by Frito-Lay.” The seed potatoes produced by Desjardins were subsequently sold to growers authorized by Frito-Lay to cultivate processing potatoes, which were then used in Frito-Lay’s various snack food products.
The specific potato strain designations involved are not particularly germane to this appeal.
[ 3 ] From 2004 to 2006, Desjardins subcontracted with Mr. Briggs to grow a percentage of the seed potatoes Desjardins was obligated to supply to Frito-Lay. Desjardins provided Mr. Briggs with the necessary potatoes from the proprietary strains. Mr. Briggs would sell the next generation seed potatoes he produced back to Desjardins, and Desjardins would in turn sell them to the growers authorized by Frito-Lay. [ 4 ] Mr. Briggs did not grow potatoes exclusively for Desjardins. For our purposes, it was of particular significance that in 2006 Mr.
Briggs was also growing Spunta variety potatoes he grew from seed provided to him by Tobique Farms Limited. [ 5 ] In approximately mid-November 2006, Mr. Briggs received the devastating news from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency that the field being used for the cultivation of the Spunta potatoes was contaminated by Bacterial Ring Rot (BRR). Mr. Briggs received compensation for his losses from the Canadian Agricultural Income Stabilization Fund, a fund paid for by both the Government of Canada and the farmers themselves. Mr.
Briggs also took legal action against Tobique Farms, which was settled before trial. [ 6 ] Following the discovery of the Bacterial Ring Rot, problems arose between Desjardins and Mr. Briggs. Desjardins adopted the position that the contract whereby Mr. Briggs was to grow and supply Frito-Lay seed potatoes for Desjardins could no longer be fulfilled. Desjardins maintained Frito-Lay would not accept seed potatoes from any grower whose operation was contaminated by BRR.
Even though the field in question was not growing a Frito-Lay variety, and was in fact not physically adjacent to any field that was growing Frito-Lay varieties, the inherent risks (such as farm equipment used in various fields and storage concerns) were deemed too great. [ 7 ] There were certain joint efforts undertaken by Desjardins and Mr. Briggs to reduce the impact of the contamination, such as finding other uses or buyers for the potatoes Desjardins could no longer buy back from Mr. Briggs for sale to Frito-Lay growers, but success was limited at best.
I will decline going into these arrangements in further detail as they do not factor into the proposed disposition of the appeal. [ 8 ] Mr. Briggs commenced an action against Desjardins for breach of contract. Presented with the factual matrix as set out above, the trial judge concluded Desjardins had not breached its contractual obligations, dismissed the claim, and awarded costs. Mr. Briggs now appeals that decision. III. Issues [ 9 ] Mr.
Briggs alleges the following errors on the part of the trial judge, grouped under three general headings: 1. finding there was an implied term in the contract that the potatoes could be rejected from a farm that had any field contaminated with BRR; 2. finding there was no breach of contract by Desjardins; and 3. finding the parties were marketing potatoes from a farm infected with BRR. [ 10 ] I am not persuaded the matter before us is overly complicated.
With respect, the essence of the appeal was succinctly, and in my view accurately, framed by Desjardins as amounting to determining the answer to a single, central question: Does the factual finding of the trial judge that the parties’ agreement was subject to an implied right to reject the delivery of a crop where there was any contamination of the farm amount to palpable and overriding error so as to warrant review on appeal? [ 11 ] In the event Mr. Briggs is successful on appeal in whole or in part, Desjardin cross-appeals the trial judge’s provisional assessment of damages.
Given my proposed disposition of the appeal, which is to dismiss it for the reasons set out below, it will not be necessary to consider the cross-appeal.
IV. Law & Analysis A. The Decision Appealed From [ 12 ] The trial judge’s critical findings are found in the following paragraphs, which bear repeating here as I see no basis for appellate intervention given her reasoning and conclusions: I find that it is well-known within the seed market business that it is extremely difficult to market potatoes from a farm in which any field has been infected with BRR. It is reasonable to presume that no growers will accept the Elite III potatoes from a farm if they are told that one of the fields, regardless of which seed lot, was infected with BRR.
I find further, on the basis of the evidence before me, that both parties knew or should have known that even reclassifying the potatoes would still make it difficult to market them from a farm with BRR. The parties acknowledge that Frito-Lay was particularly stringent about the seed potatoes they would purchase and Mr. Vogleneve, for Frito-Lay, testified as to their stringent and formal requirements.
He testified that even though CFIA said that Briggs' other fields were "unlikely" to be infected, Frito-Lay would never buy unless the farm was BRR-free and he contends that all seed farms in the area know of that condition. […] The evidence demonstrates that it was common knowledge of both parties, at the time of the execution of the contract, that the seed potatoes would be rejected from a farm that had any field contaminated with BRR. In a study for the Potato Growers of Alberta, August 2004, it states that if BRR is found on any seed lot on a seed farm, all of the seed lots must be decertified.
The parties knew, or should have known, that no purchaser will buy from a farm if they are informed that the farm has a field contaminated with BRR. It should be noted also that if the lots are decertified then there are no Elite potatoes from the Briggs farm to sell to Desjardins. Hence, the plaintiff could not fulfil his contract. Further, it should also be noted that in an Amended Statement of Defence, the Sale of Goods Act , RSNB 1973, c. S-1 , was mentioned but not argued by the parties.
Because of the foregoing, I find that Desjardins did not breach the contract with Briggs and it did attempt to help Briggs find another market for his potatoes. [paras. 36 and 38-39] [Emphasis added.] B. Contractual
Interpretation & Standard of Review [ 13 ] With respect to the current state of the law governing the
interpretation of contracts, the trial judge was guided by the Supreme Court decision in Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp., 2014 SCC 53 , [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633 . She correctly points out Rothstein J. in Sattva directs courts “to have regard for the surrounding circumstances of the contract” ( Sattva , para. 46). See also Directcash ATM Management Partnership et al. v. Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc. et al., 2015 NBCA 36 , 437 N.B.R. (2d) 292 , and Arch Insurance Canada Ltd. v.
Financial and Consumer Services Commission and Encon Group Inc. et al., 2016 NBCA 53 , 452 N.B.R. (2d) 371 . [ 14 ] In Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick v. Brad Gould Trucking & Excavating Ltd. and Bird Construction Company, 2015 NBCA 47 , 438 N.B.R. (2d) 274 , our Court relied upon Sattva in determining that contractual
interpretation involves a question of mixed fact and law, and thus attracts a deferential standard of review based on palpable and overriding error: The
interpretation of a contract generally raises a question of mixed fact and law: Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp . , 2014 SCC 53 , [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633 , at para. 50 ; 1298417 Ontario Ltd. v. Lakeshore (Town) , 2014 ONCA 802 , [2014] O.J. No. 5449 (QL) , at para. 3 . Since the purpose of contractual
interpretation is to ascertain the objective intentions of the parties, the Court must consider the words of the contract in light of the factual matrix. Questions of mixed fact and law attract a standard of review based upon palpable and overriding error: Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , at paras. 36-37 . Though there is arguably an exception to the rule that contractual
interpretation is a question of mixed fact and law in the case of standard form contracts that are widely used ( see Vallieres v. Vozniak , 2014 ABCA 290 , [2014] A.J. No. 964 (QL) , at paras. 12-13 ), I am of the view the
interpretation of the portion of
the contract in dispute in this case is largely fact driven. It is therefore subject to a standard of review based on palpable and overridingerror. Absent such error, the decision of the trial judge must stand. [para. 13] C. Implied Term of a Contract [15] At first instance, as set out by the trial judge, Desjardins argued “a court will find an impliedterm of a contract based on the presumed intention of the parties where the term is necessary to give business efficacy to a contract.” Inso arguing, Desjardins drew the attention of the court to Double N Earthmovers Ltd. v.
Edmonton (City), 2007 SCC 3, [2007] 1 S.C.R.116: As was reiterated by this Court in M.J.B. Enterprises Ltd. v. Defence Construction
(1951) Ltd., (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R.619, and Martel Building Ltd. v. Canada, [2000] 2 S.C.R. 860, 2000 SCC 60, the express terms set out in the tender documents governContract A. However, Contract A may also contain certain implied terms if they meet the test for implied terms set out by this Court inCanadian Pacific Hotels Ltd. v. Bank of Montreal, (SCC), [1987] 1 S.C.R. 711: para. 27 of M.J.B. Enterprises.
Impliedterms can be based on the existence of any of: (1) custom; (2) the legal incidents of a particular class or kind of contract; or (3) thepresumed intentions of the parties, where the term is necessary to give business efficacy to a contract. [para. 30] [16] In M.J.B. Enterprises Ltd. v. Defence Construction
(1951) Ltd., (SCC), [1999]1 S.C.R. 619, [1999] S.C.J. No. 17 (QL), the Supreme Court sets out the test to be employed when determining whether to imply acontractual term: The second argument of the appellant is that there is an implied term in Contract A such that the lowest compliant bid must be accepted.The general principles for finding an implied contractual term were outlined by this Court in Canadian Pacific Hotels Ltd. v. Bank ofMontreal, (SCC), [1987] 1 S.C.R. 711.
Le Dain J., for the majority, held that terms may be implied in a contract: (1)based on custom or usage; (2) as the legal incidents of a particular class or kind of contract; or (3) based on the presumed intention of theparties where the implied term must be necessary "to give business efficacy to a contract or as otherwise meeting the 'officious bystander'test as a term which the parties would say, if questioned, that they had obviously assumed" (p. 775). See also Wallace v. United GrainGrowers Ltd., (SCC), [1997] 3 S.C.R. 701, at para. 137, per McLachlin J., and Machtinger v.
HOJ Industries Ltd., (SCC), [1992] 1 S.C.R. 986, at p. 1008, per McLachlin J. [para. 27] [17] Applying the law to the circumstances of this case, it is clear the trial judge was justified to holdthe contract contained the implied term that the potatoes to be provided had to emanate from a farm that was free of BRR. Thisconclusion is justified both because there was evidence on custom to support it, and because based on that custom, the term can bepresumed to have been part of the intention of the parties when they entered their contractual relationship. V.
Conclusion and Disposition [18] I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500 payable by Mr. Briggs to Desjardins. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction
[1] Le différend qui se trouve au cœur du présent appel touche la culture de pommes de terre de semence sélectionnées; il porte sur les conséquences de la présence de flétrissement bactérien, dans un champ du producteur, sur les obligations juridiques entre l’acheteur, en l’occurrence Fermes Semences Desjardins Seed Farms Ltd./Ltée, et le vendeur, Richard Briggs. M. Briggs maintenait que, comme le champ atteint n’était pas cultivé pour le contrat en cause, la présence de la maladie était sans incidence sur le rapport contractuel le liant à Desjardins.
La juge du procès s’est rangée à l’avis contraire exprimé par Desjardins et M. Briggs demande l’infirmation de sa décision en appel. II. Contexte [2] Pendant toute la période pertinente, Desjardins pratiquait la culture et la commercialisation de pommes de terre de semence. Par contrat conclu avec un important client industriel, Hostess Frito-Lay, elle produisait des pommes de terre de semence qui, ensuite, servaient à [TRADUCTION] « la culture de certaines variétés sélectionnées de pommes de terre de semence dont Frito-Lay avait la propriété exclusive ».
Desjardins les revendait à des producteurs autorisés par Frito-Lay à cultiver les pommes de terre de transformation entrant dans la composition de ses diverses grignotines. La désignation exacte de ces variétés de pommes de terre n’est pas particulièrement pertinente ici. [3] De 2004 à 2006, Desjardins a sous-traité avec M. Briggs la culture d’une
partie des pommes de terre de semence qu’elle avait l’obligation de fournir à Frito-Lay. Desjardins procurait à M. Briggs les pommes de terre nécessaires, issues des souches de propriété exclusive. M. Briggs vendait les pommes de terre de semence de la génération suivante à Desjardins, qui les revendait aux producteurs autorisés de Frito-Lay. [4] La production de pommes de terre de M. Briggs n’était pas exclusivement destinée à Desjardins. Considération particulièrement importante en l’espèce, M.
Briggs cultivait également la variété Spunta, en 2006, à partir de semences que lui procurait Tobique Farms Limited. [5] Vers la mi-novembre 2006, M. Briggs a appris une terrible nouvelle de l’Agence canadienne d’inspection des aliments : le champ qui servait à la culture de la Spunta était contaminé par le flétrissement bactérien (FB). Il a obtenu une indemnisation du Programme canadien de stabilisation du revenu agricole, fonds doté à la fois par le gouvernement du Canada et par les agriculteurs eux-mêmes. M.
Briggs a aussi intenté à Tobique Farms une poursuite, que les parties ont réglée à l’amiable avant le procès. [6] Après la découverte du flétrissement bactérien, des difficultés ont opposé Desjardins et M. Briggs. Desjardins soutenait que le contrat stipulant la production, pour son compte, de pommes de terre de semence de Frito-Lay ne pouvait plus être rempli par M. Briggs. Elle maintenait que Frito-Lay n’accepterait de pommes de terre de semence d’aucun producteur dont la ferme avait été contaminée par cette maladie.
Malgré que la variété cultivée dans le champ atteint n’ait pas été l’une de celles de Frito-Lay, et que ce champ n’ait été adjacent à aucun de ceux où les variétés de Frito-Lay étaient cultivées, les risques inhérents (entreposage et utilisation de matériel agricole dans divers champs) étaient tenus pour excessifs. [7] Desjardins et M. Briggs ont entrepris de concert certaines démarches afin d’atténuer les conséquences de la contamination, dont la recherche d’autres usages ou d’autres acquéreurs pour les pommes de terre que Desjardins ne pouvait plus acheter de M.
Briggs pour les revendre aux producteurs de Frito-Lay, mais ils ont connu un succès tout au plus médiocre. Je préfère ne pas entrer dans le détail de ces mesures, car elles ne jouent pas dans la décision que notre Cour entend rendre sur l’appel. [8] M. Briggs a intenté une poursuite à Desjardins pour rupture de contrat. La juge du procès a conclu, vu le fondement factuel exposé ci-dessus, que Desjardins n’avait pas violé ses obligations contractuelles; elle a rejeté la demande et accordé des dépens. M. Briggs interjette maintenant appel de cette décision. III. Questions en litige [9] M.
Briggs attribue à la juge du procès, sous trois rubriques, les erreurs suivantes : 1. la conclusion qu’une condition implicite du contrat autorisait à rejeter les pommes de terre d’une ferme dont un des champs était contaminé par le flétrissement bactérien;
2. la conclusion que Desjardins n’avait pas rompu le contrat; 3. la conclusion que les parties commercialisaient des pommes de terre provenant d’une ferme infectée par le flétrissement bactérien. [10] Je ne suis pas persuadé que l’affaire dont notre Cour se trouve saisie soit excessivement complexe.
Je ferai respectueusement remarquer que Desjardins a présenté l’appel de manière succincte, et exacte à mon avis, comme nécessitant essentiellement de donner réponse à une question unique et déterminante : [TRADUCTION] La conclusion de fait de la juge du procès voulant que la convention des parties ait été assujettie à un droit implicite de refus de la livraison d’une récolte, dans l’éventualité de toute contamination de la ferme, constitue-t-elle une erreur manifeste et dominante justifiant un contrôle de la décision en appel? [11] Pour le cas où l’appel de M.
Briggs serait accueilli en tout ou en partie, Desjardins a formé un appel reconventionnel à l’encontre de l’évaluation provisoire des dommages-intérêts réalisée par la juge du procès. Vu la décision que j’entends rendre sur l’appel, soit son rejet pour les motifs qui suivent, il ne sera pas nécessaire d’aborder l’appel reconventionnel. IV. Droit et analyse A.
Décision portée en appel [12] Les conclusions essentielles de la juge du procès sont énoncées dans les paragraphes ci- dessous, qu’il est opportun de reproduire puisque, vu le raisonnement et l’ensemble des conclusions de la juge, rien ne me paraît fonder à infirmer sa décision en appel : [TRADUCTION] Je conclus que, sur le marché de la pomme de terre de semence, c’est un fait notoire qu’il est extrêmement difficile de commercialiser des pommes de terre en provenance d’une exploitation agricole dont un des champs, peu importe lequel, est atteint du FB.
Il est raisonnable de présumer qu’aucun producteur n’achètera à une exploitation agricole des pommes de terre de classe Élite III s’il apprend que le FB a été dépisté sur un des champs de cette exploitation, peu importe le lot de pommes de terre de semence qui est atteint. Je conclus également, compte tenu de la preuve qui m’a été présentée, que les deux parties savaient ou auraient dû savoir que même si elles modifiaient la classe des pommes de terre provenant d’une exploitation agricole atteinte du FB, il ne serait pas moins difficile de les commercialiser.
Les parties reconnaissent que Frito-Lay, en particulier, avait des normes particulièrement rigoureuses quant aux pommes de terre de semence qu’elle achèterait, et M. Vogleneve, représentant de Frito-Lay, a témoigné au sujet des exigences rigoureuses et officielles.
Il a témoigné que même si l’ACIA avait jugé qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « peu probable » que les autres champs de Briggs soient atteints, Frito-Lay n’achèterait jamais les pommes de terre à moins que l’exploitation agricole soit libre de toute contamination par le FB et, selon lui, toutes les exploitations productrices de pommes de terre de semence de la région sont au courant de cette condition. […] La preuve révèle qu’il appartenait aux connaissances communes des deux parties, au moment de la signature du contrat, que les pommes de terre de semence en provenance d’une exploitation agricole dont un des champs était contaminé par le FB seraient rejetées.
Dans une étude menée en août 2004 pour la Potato Growers of Alberta, il est affirmé que si le FB est dépisté dans un lot de pommes de terre de semence d’une exploitation agricole productrice de pommes de terre de semence, il faut alors révoquer la certification de tous les lots de pommes de terre de semence de cette exploitation. Les parties savaient, ou auraient dû savoir qu’aucun acheteur ne fera affaire avec une exploitation agricole s’il apprend qu’un des champs de celle-ci est contaminé par le FB .
Il y a lieu de mentionner également que si la certification des lots est révoquée, il n’y a alors plus de pommes de terre Élite en provenance de l’exploitation agricole de Briggs qui peuvent être vendues à Desjardins. En conséquence, le demandeur n’était pas en mesure de remplir ses obligations aux termes du contrat. Aussi, dans l’exposé de la défense modifié, la
Loi sur la vente d’objets , L.R.N.- B. 1973, ch. S-1, a été mentionnée, mais les parties n’ont présenté aucun argument à l’égard de celle-ci. Compte tenu de ce qui précède,
je conclus que Desjardins n’a pas violé le contrat qu’elle avait conclu avec Briggs et qu’elle a tenté effectivement d’aider Briggs àobtenir un autre marché pour ses pommes de terre. [par. 36, 38 et 39] [C’est moi qui souligne.] B. Interprétation contractuelle et norme de contrôle [13] Pour ce qui est de l’état actuel du droit régissant l’interprétation des contrats, la juge du procèss’est guidée sur l’arrêt prononcé par la Cour suprême dans Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp., 2014 CSC 53, [2014]2 R.C.S. 633.
Elle a relevé, à juste titre, que le juge Rothstein, dans Sattva, enjoint aux tribunaux de « tenir compte des circonstances […]dans l’interprétation d’un contrat » (Sattva, par. 46). On pourra se reporter également à Directcash ATM Management Partnership et autres c. Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc. et autres, 2015 NBCA 36, 437 R.N.-B. (2e) 292, et à Arch assurances Canada Ltée c.Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs et Groupe Encon Inc. et autres, 2016 NBCA 53, 452 R.N.- B. (2e) 371. [14] Dans l’arrêt Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Brad Gould Trucking & Excavating Ltd. et Bird Construction Company, 2015 NBCA 47, 438 R.N.-B. (2e) 274, notre Cour a indiqué, se fondant surSattva, que l’interprétation d’un contrat soulève une question mixte de fait et de droit et qu’elle fait intervenir, ainsi, une norme decontrôle axée sur l’erreur manifeste et dominante appelant à la déférence : L’interprétation d’un contrat soulève généralement une question mixte de fait et de droit : Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp.,2014 CSC 53, [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633, au par. 50; et 1298417 Ontario Ltd. c. Lakeshore (Town), 2014 ONCA 802, [2014] O.J.
No. 5449(QL), au par. 3. Puisque le but de l’interprétation d’un contrat consiste à déterminer l’intention objective des parties, la Cour doitexaminer les termes du contrat à la lumière du fondement factuel. Les questions mixtes de fait et de droit sont assujetties à une norme decontrôle fondée sur l’erreur manifeste et dominante : Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, aux par. 36 et 37.
Bienqu’on puisse soutenir qu’il existe une exception à la règle selon laquelle l’interprétation des contrats est une question mixte de fait et dedroit dans le cas des contrats types dont l’utilisation est répandue (voir l’arrêt Vallieres c. Vozniak, 2014 ABCA 290, [2014] A.J. No. 964(QL), aux par. 12 et 13), je suis d’avis que l’interprétation de la
partie du contrat qui est en litige en l’espèce est en grande
partie fonctiondes faits. Elle est donc assujettie à une norme de contrôle fondée sur l’erreur manifeste et dominante. En l’absence d’une erreur de cettenature, la décision du juge du procès ne peut être modifiée. [par. 13] C. Condition implicite d’un contrat [15] En première instance, comme l’a mentionné la juge, Desjardins a soutenu qu’[TRADUCTION]« un tribunal conclura à l’existence dans le contrat d’une condition implicite en se fondant sur l’intention présumée des parties, lorsquecette condition est nécessaire pour donner au contrat de l’efficacité commerciale ».
Elle a appelé l’attention de la Cour, dans sonargumentation, sur Double N Earthmovers Ltd. c. Edmonton (Ville), 2007 CSC 3, [2007] 1 R.C.S. 116 : Comme la Cour l’a réitéré dans M.J.B. Enterprises Ltd. c. Construction de Défense
(1951) Ltée, (SCC), [1999]1 R.C.S. 619, et Martel Building Ltd. c. Canada, [2000] 2 R.C.S. 860, 2000 CSC 60, les conditions stipulées expressément dans lesdocuments d’appel d’offres régissent le contrat A. Toutefois, le contrat A peut aussi contenir des conditions implicites si elles satisfontau critère énoncé à cet égard par la Cour dans Société hôtelière Canadien Pacifique Ltée c. Banque de Montréal, (SCC),[1987] 1 R.C.S. 711 (par. 27 de M.J.B. Enterprises).
Les conditions implicites peuvent être fondées sur l’existence de l’un des élémentssuivants : (1) la coutume; (2) les particularités juridiques d’une catégorie ou d’un type particulier de contrats; (3) l’existence d’uneintention présumée des parties, lorsque la condition est nécessaire pour donner à un contrat de l’efficacité commerciale. [par. 30] [16] Dans M.J.B. Enterprises Ltd. c. Construction de Défense
(1951) Ltée, (SCC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 619, [1999] A.C.S. no 17 (QL), la Cour suprême a énoncé le critère qu’il convient d’employer pour déterminerl’existence d’une condition implicite dans un contrat : Selon le deuxième argument de l’appelante, le contrat A comporte une condition implicite prévoyant que la soumission conforme la plusbasse doit être retenue. Les principes généraux permettant de déterminer l’existence de conditions contractuelles implicites ont étéénoncés par notre Cour dans l’arrêt Société hôtelière Canadien Pacifique Ltée c. Banque de Montréal, (SCC), [1987]1 R.C.S. 711.
Le juge Le Dain a conclu, au nom de la majorité, qu’il pouvait y avoir introduction, dans un contrat, de conditions
implicites : 1) fondées sur la coutume ou l’usage; 2) en tant que particularités juridiques d’une catégorie ou d’un type particuliers decontrats; ou 3) fondées sur l’existence d’une intention présumée des parties, soit la condition implicite dont l’introduction est nécessaire« pour donner à un contrat de l’efficacité commerciale ou pour permettre de quelque autre manière de satisfaire au critère de“l’observateur objectif”, [condition] dont les parties diraient, si on leur posait la question, qu’elles avaient évidemment tenu soninclusion pour acquise » (p. 775). Voir également les arrêts Wallace c.
United Grain Growers Ltd., (SCC), [1997]3 R.C.S. 701, au par. 137, motifs du juge McLachlin, et Machtinger c. HOJ Industries Ltd., (SCC), [1992]1 R.C.S. 986, à la p. 1008, motifs du juge McLachlin. [par. 27] [17] Il ressort clairement de l’application du droit aux circonstances de l’espèce que la juge duprocès était justifiée de conclure qu’une condition contractuelle implicite prévoyait que les pommes de terre fournies devraient provenird’une ferme libre de flétrissement bactérien.
Cette conclusion est justifiée à la fois parce qu’elle est étayée par la présentation de preuveen matière de coutume et parce que, vu cette coutume, il est permis de présumer qu’il entrait dans l’intention des parties de stipuler cettecondition lorsqu’elles ont formé un rapport contractuel. V. Conclusion et dispositif [18] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et de condamner M. Briggs à verser à Desjardins des dépens de2 500 $.