2023 NBCA 68, 2023 NBCA 68
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 94-22-CA THE CITY OF MONCTON APPELLANT LA VILLE DE MONCTON APPELANTE - and - - et - CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES, LOCAL 51 RESPONDENT SYNDICAT CANADIEN DE LA FONCTION PUBLIQUE,
SECTION LOCALE 51 INTIMÉ The City of Moncton v. Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 51, 2023 NBCA 68 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LaVigne La Ville de Moncton c. Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
Section locale 51, 2023 NBCA 68 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2022 NBQB 165 Décision frappée d’appel : 2022 NBBR 165 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: May 17, 2023 Appel entendu : le 17 mai 2023 Judgment rendered: August 10, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 10 août 2023
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LaVigne Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Dominique Fontaine and Chris Pelkey For the respondent: Glen S. Gallant Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Dominique Fontaine et Chris Pelkey Pour l’intimé : Glen S. Gallant THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,000 payable to the respondent.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et des dépens de 3 000 $ sont adjugés à l’intimé. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LAVIGNE, J.A. I. Introduction and Overview [ 1 ] The Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 51 (“Union”) filed a grievance on behalf of its member Kevin Britt (“grievor”), alleging the City of Moncton (“City”) unjustly terminated his employment as a pipe layer, in violation of the collective agreement between the parties. Reinstatement to his position was sought. [ 2 ] Settlement discussions occurred.
On December 10, 2020, the parties’ negotiators agreed on the wording of the settlement documents. These were never signed by either party or by the grievor. The documents were provided to the grievor, who sought financial advice from a chartered accountant. A few days later, the Union informed the City the grievor refused to sign the documents and wanted to be reinstated in his job. [ 3 ] The City took the position that the parties had entered into a binding agreement on December 10 and the grievor’s signature was not necessary.
The Union disagreed, asserting it was clear during the negotiations that it would not settle this grievance, based on an alleged unjust termination, unless the grievor approved and signed the settlement documents. It also maintained the City’s representative had made it clear he only had limited authority, so that the City’s approval would be required before the agreement became binding and enforceable.
[ 4 ] The question was submitted to an arbitrator as a preliminary matter . The arbitrator found the parties had settled the grievance and there were no further issues to be resolved by arbitration. The Union applied for judicial review of the arbitrator’s decision. [ 5 ] The application judge allowed the application and quashed the decision, thereby allowing the arbitration process to continue so the grievance could be heard on its merits. He held the arbitrator’s decision was unreasonable as it was internally irrational and untenable considering the law and facts that constrained the arbitrator.
He found no binding agreement had been reached because the agreement to settle was conditional on the approval of the grievor, the Union and the City. The City appeals this decision. [ 6 ] In my view, the application judge conducted a reasonableness review of the arbitrator’s decision following the instructions given by the Supreme Court in Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v. Vavilov , 2019 SCC 65 , [2019] 4 S.C.R. 653 , and correctly concluded the arbitrator’s decision was unreasonable in the circumstances. [ 7 ] For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss the appeal. II.
Context [ 8 ] The grievance filed on February 14, 2020, was referred to arbitration. A hearing was scheduled to begin on January 6, 2021. Settlement discussions were held. Originally, these were between Marcos Salib, a National Representative for the Union, and Laura Armes, the Manager of Labour Relations & Disability for the City. On November 24, Mr. Salib was informed that Ian Pickard, a lawyer with the law firm McInnes Cooper, in Halifax, would be taking over the file on behalf of the City. Settlement discussions continued. [ 9 ] Messrs. Salib and Pickard had dealt with each other for several years.
They agreed on the wording of the settlement documents (Minutes of Settlement and a Release) that were finalized on December 10. The question is whether the agreement was conditional on the grievor, the Union and the City signing the documents. [ 10 ] Messrs . Salib and Pickard testified before the arbitrator on September 27, 2021. [ 11 ] This is essentially a fact-driven matter as the legal context in which the issue was to be resolved is not seriously in dispute. It is important to set out in some detail the email exchanges between Messrs.
Salib and Pickard because all settlement discussions were conducted over email, except for one telephone conversation between them to which I refer in para. 17. [ 12 ] During the negotiations, it became clear that, to settle this matter, the grievor wanted to pocket at least $100,000 net. The amount paid and the way the settlement would be structured would affect the deductions required, the income tax payable and ultimately the net amount the grievor would obtain.
Amounts of $100,000, $110,000, and $120,000 were discussed, in each case with one portion paid as general damages and the other, as wages or a retirement allowance. Half of this latter payment would be made at the end of one year and the other half at the beginning of the next. As the arbitrator wrote, “Mr.
Pickard felt the entire settlement discussion focussed on trying to maximize the net amount the Grievor would receive, which was being pushed by the Grievor.” There is no dispute on this point; the grievor was only interested in the net amount he would receive, and this became the focus of the negotiations. [ 13 ] On November 26, 2020, the City offered $100,000; the grievor was asking for $120,000. Mr. Pickard asked if it would be “possible to settle if more of the City’s proposed amount was allocated to general damages.” On November 27, Mr.
Pickard indicated the City had approved a 50/50 split and, referring to the amount of $50,000 that would be paid as general damages, stated, “The 50,000 has no tax associated with it at all.” [ 14 ] On December 1, the parties discussed a possible offer of $110,000. Mr. Salib wrote to
Mr. Pickard, indicating the grievor wanted to know the net amount he would receive “prior to making his decision.” Approximately 10 minutes later, Mr. Pickard responded, “he would net out $92,000”: That’s an easy one. We can structure it as a retirement allowance such that the only withholding would be the required 30% federal tax withholding. He would net out $42,000 on the two $30,000 payments and the deducted $18,000 would be submitted as tax paid to the Federal Govt. We would not withhold CPP or El.
He would net out $92,000 (42,000 net on the 60k and then the 50k in generals) and $18,000 would be remitted as tax. [ 15 ] On December 2, Mr. Salib informed Mr. Pickard the grievor was maintaining his position at $120,000. Mr. Pickard asked Mr. Salib to advise the grievor the offer of $110,000 would be withdrawn at 4 p.m. that day and commented: “I trust [the grievor] understands that should he receive damages as a remedy that all such damages would be fully taxable and will be subject to EI and CPP deductions.” Later that day, Mr.
Pickard suggested a different structure, with more of the payment being allocated to general damages, which he said would result in a net amount of $95,000: “I am offering 60k in general damages plus 50k in wages. This nets him out at 95K.” [ 16 ] On December 3, at 12:11 p.m., Mr. Pickard indicated the offer of $120,000 was accepted, commenting that, if the grievor “wants less money in his pocket that’s his call.” He concluded by saying: “Once we have full agreement on the MOU we will need final approval from the City.” At 12:18, Mr.
Pickard emailed the revised Minutes of Settlement, which referred to the new settlement amount of $120,000 ($70,000 as wages and $50,000 in general damages) and wrote: “Please have it signed by [the grievor] and returned to me. I will then approach the City. Laura and I will strongly recommend this.” The different versions of the Minutes of Settlement provided a line for the signatures of the grievor, the Union and the City, in this order. At 12:19, Mr. Salib replied: “ Yes I agree, this will only be finalized once all signatures are put on a document .” At 12:20, Mr.
Salib wrote: “Yes, I will ensure that [the grievor] signs prior to you approaching the City.” At 12:22, Mr. Pickard wrote: “Thanks Marcos.” Mr. Pickard did not contradict, comment on, or otherwise respond to Mr. Salib’s statement and understanding that the agreement would only be finalized once all signatures were added to the settlement documents. The arbitrator noted Mr. Pickard testified: “He did not respond to Mr. Salib’s email, as he felt that the Grievor was irrelevant to the negotiating process and his signature was not required, since any agreement was between himself and Mr.
Salib/the Union.” [ 17 ] At 12:31 p.m. the same day, Mr. Salib asked Mr. Pickard whether the structure could be changed; instead of $70,000 (wages)/$50,000 (general damages), he was asking for $60,000 (wages)/$60,000 (general damages). At 12:34, Mr. Pickard replied he did not agree to changing the structure and commented, “I tried to save him money but he was resistant (no idea why) so its 120K 70/50.” Shortly after 12:39, Messrs. Salib and Pickard spoke on the phone, and Mr. Pickard agreed to change the structure of the settlement as requested. The arbitrator noted Mr. Pickard testified he “told Mr.
Salib that that was as far as the City could go, and Mr. Sali[b] agreed that ‘we’re done’.” [ 18 ] On December 10, 2020, at 10:43 a.m., Mr. Pickard emailed revised settlement documents to Mr. Salib. The documents now indicated $60,000 as a retirement allowance (formerly wages) and $60,000 in general damages. In his email, Mr. Pickard wrote: “Please have [the grievor] sign the Minutes along with the union and the Release. Please send the signed documents to me. I will hold on to the signed documents until I have confirmation that the city will agree.” [ 19 ] At 6:45 p.m., Mr.
Salib proposed changes to the Minutes of Settlement, including the addition of para. 8 (which I will discuss later) and amendments to paras. 2, 3, 4 and 5. These were accepted by Mr. Pickard, who also brought to Mr. Salib’s attention a mistake in the Minutes of Settlement that needed to be corrected and commented: “Can you fix that before he signs. Otherwise it’s fine to me.” By 7:24 p.m., Messrs. Pickard and Salib had agreed on the wording of the settlement documents. Mr. Pickard testified that, at that point, he understood they had a settlement, as there was agreement on all issues.
However, as noted by the arbitrator, Mr. Pickard acknowledged during the hearing that he “ still had a question as to whether the Grievor would sign, which he felt was not relevant to the finalized settlement.” [ 20 ] Mr. Salib finalized the further revised Minutes of Settlement and presented the settlement documents to the grievor on December 11, 2020. Paragraph 2 of the Minutes of Settlement indicated an all-inclusive settlement amount of $120,000 to be allocated as follows: a. $60,000 paid as a retirement allowance subject only to a 30% Federal tax withholding obligation (deduction); and
b. $60,000 in general damages, with no deductions, in relation to Mr. Britt’s termination causing him mental anguish and injury, and for bullying and harassment in the workplace . [Emphasis added.] [ 21 ] Paragraph 3 stipulated half of the retirement allowance, less deductions, would be paid in December 2020 and the other half in January 2021. The next paragraph (which had been in the Minutes since, at the latest, the version sent by Mr.
Pickard on December 3) explained that the net amount of the settlement was not guaranteed and was at the sole risk of the grievor, who undertook to indemnify the City and the Union with respect to any claims because of the mischaracterization or insufficient deduction of taxes or other remittances.
It stated as follows: The acceptance by the CRA, ESDC, Service Canada or any other governmental authority, of this allocation of the aggregate settlement amount is not guaranteed by the Employer or the Union and in the event the allocation is not accepted by the CRA, ESDC, Service Canada or any governmental authority, this allocation of the settlement is at the sole risk of the Grievor and does not entitle the Grievor to any further amounts from the Employer or the Union.
As set out in the Full and Final Release and Indemnity appended to these Minutes of Settlement, the Grievor undertakes to indemnify the Employer and the Union with respect to any claims, demands, interest or penalties from the CRA. ESDC, Service Canada or any governmental authority, with respect to the mischaracterization or insufficient deduction of taxes or other remittances from the within settlement . [ 22 ] Paragraph 8, which was added at the request of Mr.
Salib on December 10, provided as follows: The Grievor willingly accepts the terms of settlement, had the opportunity to ask questions to the Union and had the opportunity to consult with independent legal counsel and financial advisor . The Grievor recognizes that the Union has fully and fairly represented him at all material times. [Emphasis added.] [ 23 ] The arbitrator noted: “Mr.
Salib testified that during their meeting of December 11, the grievor indicated that he wished to obtain an opinion on the financial terms of the offer and told him on December 16, that he would not sign, because of the advice he had been given.” [ 24 ] The evidence before the arbitrator included a memo dated December 15, 2020, from Meghan Greene, a chartered accountant with the accounting firm Thiel Greene. This memo, which is addressed to the grievor, indicates the grievor had provided the Minutes of Settlement to Ms.
Greene on December 15, and was seeking an opinion as to whether the $60,000 to be received as general damages would be taxable. Ms. Greene’s research, opinion and reasons for her opinion are set out in a four-page memo. Based on the wording of the Minutes of Settlement, Ms. Greene’s opinion was that the amount of $60,000 designated as general damages would be taxable as it met the definition of a retirement allowance under the Income Tax Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp .). She recommended changes to the wording of the documents.
However, in the last paragraph of her memo, she asserts: “Finally, based on the above research it may be difficult to have any of the damages considered as nontaxable if they relate to the loss of employment and would not otherwise have been paid if the loss of employment did not occur.” [ 25 ] Obviously, this would affect the net amount the grievor expected to receive in settlement of the grievance. As stated, Mr. Pickard had asserted more than once that there would be no taxes payable on the general damages. [ 26 ] On December 16, 2020, Mr. Salib informed Mr.
Pickard by email that the grievor refused to sign the documents and wanted his position back with the City. He suggested they now needed to discuss the arbitration process. [ 27 ] The two men spoke on the phone on December 18. The parties do not agree on the substance of this conversation, which occurred after the negotiations had failed. Mr. Pickard testified Mr. Salib “agreed in the course of the conversation that there was a binding agreement between the City and the Union, but that he had no choice but to back off because the Grievor was not on board.” Mr.
Salib disputes having agreed they had a binding agreement. He testified he understood Mr. Pickard would require approval from the City to settle, he was not aware on December 10 Mr. Pickard had that authority, and he understood the Union, the City and the grievor would still have to approve and sign the Minutes of Settlement before the agreement would become binding and enforceable. The arbitrator did not make a finding as to whether, during that conversation, Mr. Salib had agreed there was a binding agreement.
[ 28 ] On December 21, Mr. Salib sent an email to Mr. Pickard as he wanted to set up a conference call with the arbitrator; the arbitration hearing was scheduled to begin on January 6, 2021. Mr. Pickard replied: “For the Record the City is of the view that the City and CUPE entered into a binding agreement as evidenced by our email exchange of the evening of December 10 th 2020.” III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 29 ] The City maintains the application judge erred in law by misapplying the reasonableness standard of review to the arbitrator’s decision and concluding that the decision was unreasonable. [ 30 ] Additionally, the City contends the judge erred in law: (1) by holding that the City drafted the final Minutes of Settlement, (2) by reversing the legal presumption that unions can settle grievances without the grievor’s consent , and (3) by relying on an issue not raised by the parties. In my view, these additional contentions are without merit.
I will deal with them summarily at the end of my analysis. IV. Standard of Review [ 31 ] On an appeal such as this one, the question for this Court to decide is simply whether the lower court identified the appropriate standard of review and applied that standard correctly. To decide the latter, the Court must “step into the shoes of the lower court” (the application judge) while focusing its analysis on the administrative decision (the arbitrator’s decision), using the appropriate standard of review (see Agraira v.
Canada (Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness ), 2013 SCC 36 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 559 , at paras. 45-46 ; Ayangma v. Université de Moncton, Moncton Campus et al. , 2019 NBCA 73 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 292 (QL) , at para. 14 ). [ 32 ] There is no dispute: the appropriate standard of review applicable to the arbitrator’s decision is reasonableness. V. Analysis A. The reasonableness standard of review [ 33 ] The application judge correctly identified the applicable standard of review and referred to Vavilov to instruct himself as to the role of courts when conducting a reasonableness review.
The main issue on appeal is whether the judge applied the reasonableness standard correctly to the circumstances of this case. [ 34 ] The City submits that the application judge misapplied the standard of review, noting reasonableness but applying correctness. It contends his analysis was driven by what he considered the “correct” outcome, being that the agreement was conditional on the execution of the Minutes of Settlement by the Union, the City and the grievor.
It claims, in reaching this conclusion, the application judge misapplied the legal principles relating to settlement agreements in the labour context, and showed no deference to the arbitrator, substituting his own factual findings for those of the arbitrator. [ 35 ] Reasonableness review “finds its starting point in the principle of judicial restraint and demonstrates a respect for the distinct role of administrative decision makers.” However, “[i]t remains a robust form of review” and it “is not a ‘rubber-stamping’ process or a means of sheltering administrative decision makers from accountability” ( Vavilov , at para. 13 ).
[36] To determine whether the administrative decision is reasonable, a reviewing court mustfocus on two key factors: the outcome of the administrative decision and the reasons that support it (Vavilov, at para. 83). [37] In Vavilov, the Supreme Court identified two types of fundamental flaws that make anarbitrator’s decision unreasonable: “The first is a failure of rationality internal to the reasoning process. The second arises when adecision is in some respect untenable in light of the relevant factual and legal constraints that bear on it” (at para. 101).
To be reasonable,a decision must be both, “based on an internally coherent and rational chain of analysis” and “justified in relation to the constellation oflaw and facts that are relevant to the decision” (at paras. 85 and 105). [38] In Vavilov, while the Supreme Court affirmed that reviewing courts must not interferewith a tribunal’s factual findings absent exceptional circumstances and should refrain from reweighing and reassessing the evidenceconsidered by the tribunal (at para. 125), it went on to state: That being said, a reasonable decision is one that is justified in light of the facts: Dunsmuir, para. 47.
The decision maker must take theevidentiary record and the general factual matrix that bears on its decision into account, and its decision must be reasonable in light ofthem: see Southam, at para. 56. The reasonableness of a decision may be jeopardized where the decision maker has fundamentallymisapprehended or failed to account for the evidence before it. […] [para. 126] B. Is the arbitrator’s decision reasonable? [39] The live issue in this appeal is whether the arbitrator’s decision is reasonable in light ofthe applicable law, evidentiary record and general factual matrix that bears on it.
Did these constraints permit a reasonable finding that abinding agreement was reached on December 10, 2020, even if the grievor and the City had not signed the settlement documents? [40] The arbitrator asserted: “it is the parties to a collective agreement – the City and theUnion – who have the carriage of grievances, which includes the ability to resolve them,” and “there is significant case law to suggestthat a settlement need not be signed, or even reduced to writing, to be considered binding, so long as it points in the direction of ameeting of minds, and there were no further terms to be resolved.” These general principles are not disputed.
The law will respect andenforce agreements reached by parties in the labour context. [41] In support of her assertions, the arbitrator referred to two arbitral decisions, namelyManitoba v. M.G.E.U., 1997 CarswellMan 679 (Freedman), and Brinks Canada Ltd. v. CAW-Canada Local 27, 2012 CarswellOnt 6426(Levinson). [42] In Manitoba, the arbitrator stated: As a matter of principle unions and employers often settle grievances verbally, and often settle grievances in writing, and often confirmin writing settlements reached verbally.
So long as the facts clearly demonstrate that the Province and the Union have unconditionallyagreed to settle a matter, and so long as no question is then left open expressly or implicitly between them as to whether the grievor is tobe bound, verbal or written settlements between the Union and the Province will bind a grievor. […] [Emphasis added; para. 42] [43] In Brinks, the arbitrator summarized the applicable principles as follows: […] Without collective agreement language giving the right of carriage of a grievance to an individual employee, a union has carriage ofa grievance, which includes the right to settle such grievance.
A settlement can be found to exist between an employer and a union, evenwhen the parties to the collective agreement have not executed a memorandum of agreement. The fact a grievor is named in the style ofcause in a settlement agreement that includes an additional signing line for the grievor has been held not to confer rights on thatemployee with respect to settling a grievance, which the collective agreement does not otherwise recognize. For example, see Air Canadav. CAW-Canada, Local 2213 (Bourque), (2002), (CA LA), 107 L.A.C. (4th) 250 (Ont. Arb.) (Saltman).
However,the cited cases do not go so far as to preclude an employer and a union in any circumstance from agreeing that a grievor must alsoconsent to the terms of a settlement they have agreed upon, before it becomes effective, valid and binding. Even so, to displace thepresumptive right of a union to settle a grievance, for which it has carriage, such intention must be clearly evident from the surrounding
circumstances, and must be clearly set out in a settlement agreement. [Emphasis added; para. 4] [ 44 ] The arbitrator stated that, in the present case, she found “no such clear evidence to displace the presumption.” She concluded, “the parties had an agreement on December 10, 2020 that the matter was resolved, with no conditions attached, and with no other terms to be negotiated.” [ 45 ] The application judge determined the decision was unreasonable, being both internally irrational and untenable in light of the law and facts that were relevant to the decision .
He concluded: The Arbitrator failed to consider the evidence presented before her to ensure that the important evidence was properly considered and weighed in the outcome. The outcome of her decision cannot be reconciled with the applicable law and the evidentiary record or general factual matrix. The Grievor, Mr. Britt, and the Union made no representations that would suggest to Mr. Pickard that they had a final and binding resolution of the grievance.
A review of the Arbitrator’s decision clearly demonstrates that her decision is not based upon an internally coherent rational chain of reasoning and lacks justification, intelligibility and transparency. Furthermore, the decision is untenable in light of the relevant factual and legal constraints that bear on it.
She failed to carry out a proper analysis and overlooked, misconstrued and misapplied material evidence which established that the agreement to settle was conditional on the approval of the Employer, the Union and the Grievor as evidenced by their signatures being required in the Minutes of Settlement which were not obtained. [paras. 60-61] [ 46 ] He agreed with the general principles found in Brinks and Manitoba .
However, he held that the evidence, when considered in its entirety, clearly demonstrated that, in the circumstances of this case, both the City and the Union made the grievor’s signature on the settlement documents a condition precedent to the effectiveness of the settlement. [ 47 ] Mr. Salib confirmed at the arbitration hearing that he had been in communication with the grievor throughout the negotiation process, seeking his input and instructions.
The arbitrator found “that the Grievor was very much involved in the settlement discussions, not directly, but at a distance” and “that it was he who was driving the higher award of general damages than the City was prepared to offer, but which later agreed to.” [ 48 ] Throughout his email exchanges with Mr. Pickard, Mr. Salib maintained his understanding that the parties and the grievor needed to sign the settlement documents before they reached a binding agreement that would settle the grievance.
This was consistent with the evidence he gave at the hearing, which the arbitrator restated as follows: Marcos Salib has been a National Representative for the Union for twelve years. He testified that the Grievor had a global number in mind for which he wanted to settle, which would net him a certain take-home amount. When Mr. Pickard accepted his offer on December 3 at 12.11 p.m., he understood that Mr. Pickard would require approval from the City. Mr. Salib agreed to the offer in the ‘without prejudice’ note on December 3 at 12.19 p.m., saying it will only be fina1 when it was signed.
He understood both parties would have to sign before they had an agreement. He explained that the local felt that the Grievor, as a long term employee with a good file, had a good case for reinstatement at arbitration, but that if the Grievor wanted to accept a financial settlement, they would support him. He testified that he never felt that the Union/CUPE was party to an agreement; the local ‘owns’ the grievance, and was prepared to go to arbitration. He testified that he was not aware that on December 10, Mr. Pickard had authority from the City to settle. […] He denied that Mr.
Pickard told him he had authority to bind the City. He agreed that following the negotiations on December 3, they had a tentative deal, but he felt it was subject to the approval of the local, the City, and the Grievor. He felt that it was a condition of the Minutes of Settlement that the Grievor needed to sign, to make it enforceable. [ 49 ] Mr. Pickard testified Mr. Salib never indicated to him that the grievor’s signature on the settlement documents was a condition of acceptance.
The Union contends that, in the circumstances of this case (a long-term employee with a good file and a good case for reinstatement at arbitration), it would not settle this grievance without the grievor’s signature, and this fact was clearly and repeatedly communicated. In its written submission, the Union points to the following emails from Mr. Pickard as evidence he knew the grievor’s signature on the settlement documents was a condition precedent to a binding settlement: • November 26, 2020 at 1:28 pm: “So that’s it…or will you talk to him [Grievor] again?”
• November 27, 2020 at 11:19 am: “If Britt will accept 110k – 50 generals – 60 salary – we will try and get approval.” • November 30, 2020 at 11:05 am: “Please confirm Mr. Britt is in agreement so we can approach the City for confirmation.” • December 2, 2020 at 12:03 pm: “Please advise Mr. Britt the offer will be withdrawn in its entirety at 4 pm today and will not be reoffered at any time.” • December 2, 2020 at 1:03 pm: “My sense is that Mr. Britt has no interest in settling. […] If Mr.
Britt was to come back and say on the 110 k that he wanted 60k in generals and 50k in wages with only CPP and EI deducted he would be in a better financial position at the 110k then [sic] the 120k.” • December 2, 2020 at 3:25 pm: o “He [Grievor] would accept the $50k as damages” o “He [Grievor] would like to receive an additional 70k in 2 payments” o “This is what he [Grievor] already asked for. He [Grievor] can’t now move this # up.” • December 3, 2020 at 12:11 pm: “If he [Grievor] wants less money in his pocket that’s his call.” • December 3, 2020 at 12:18 pm: “I would suggest Mr.
Britt sign the Minutes and the release. This will very much help us in our recommendation to [sic] City to accept the deal. Please have it signed by him and returned to me. I will then approach the City.” • December 3, 2020 at 12:34 pm: “I tried to save him [Grievor] money but he was resistant (no idea why) so its [sic] 120k 70\50.
The offers to be fully cooperative were at 110k but he wanted none of it.” • December 10, 2020 at 10:43 am: “Please have him [Grievor] sign the Minutes along with the union and the Release.” • December 10, 2020 at 7:00 pm: “Can you fix that before he [Grievor] signs.” [ 50 ] The Union maintains Mr. Pickard repeatedly stated throughout his exchange with Mr. Salib, up to and including December 10, that the City’s approval was required and had not been obtained. In its written submission, the Union points to the following comments contained in emails from Mr. Pickard to validate Mr. Salib’s understanding that Mr.
Pickard had limited authority, the City’s approval was required, it had not been obtained, and the City would only be approached for its approval once the grievor had signed the documents. • November 27, 2020 at 11:19 am: “we will try and get approval” • November 30, 2020 at 11:05 am: “Please confirm Mr.
Britt is in agreement so we can approach the City for confirmation.” • December 2, 2020 at 1:16 pm: “All Laura and I can do at this point is make a recommendation to the City.” • December 3, 2020 at 12:11 pm: “Once we have full agreement on the MOU we will need final approval from City • December 3, 2020 at 12:18 pm: “I would suggest Mr. Britt sign the Minutes and the release. This will very much help us in our recommendation to [sic] City to accept the deal. Please have it signed by him and returned to me. I will then approach the City.
Laura and I will strongly recommend this.” • December 10, 2020 at 10:43 am: “I will hold on to the signed documents until I have confirmation that the city will agree. [ 51 ] The arbitrator found the parties agreed on the financial terms of the settlement on December 3, at 12:11 p.m ., and at that time, Mr. Pickard had the authority to enter into a binding agreement on behalf of the City. Be that as it may, Mr. Pickard in his emails of December 3 and 10 continued to remind Mr. Salib the City’s approval was required and had not been obtained. [ 52 ] This is consistent with Mr.
Salib’s testimony he was not aware that, on December 10, 2020, Mr. Pickard had authority from the City to settle. His understanding was that the grievor would have to sign the documents first and then they would have to be signed by the City. The arbitrator found as a fact that Mr. Pickard had authority to settle as of December 3, but there is no finding that this authority was ever communicated to Mr. Salib. [ 53 ] As stated, the Minutes of Settlement contained a line for the grievor to sign, followed by lines for the parties to sign.
It referred to the parties, but also to the grievor, as is evidenced in the following excerpts: “the allocation of the settlement is at the sole risk of the Grievor,” “the Grievor undertakes to indemnify the Employer and the Union,” “Mr. Britt agrees not to divulge any of the terms or contents of this settlement,” “The Grievor shall execute a Full and Final Release and Indemnity in the
form attached,” “The settlement with the Grievor and the Union is expressly and entirely without prejudice and without precedent ” (emphasis in original), and “The Grievor willingly accepts the terms of settlement, had the opportunity to ask questions to the Union and had the opportunity to consult with independent legal counsel and financial advisor. The Grievor recognizes that the Union has fully and fairly represented him at all material times.” [ 54 ] The last two sentences are included in para. 8, which we know Mr. Salib added to the Minutes of Settlement late on December 10. The arbitrator noted Mr.
Salib testified, “the use of the past tense, as in, the Grievor acknowledging that he had the opportunity to seek independent advice on its terms, referred to the time at which the agreement was being signed.” [ 55 ] The arbitrator concluded the grievor had between December 3 and 10 to obtain financial advice, and para. 8 of the Minutes of Settlement strongly suggested the grievor acknowledged he had that opportunity. She also stated: “It is not clear when the advice was sought.” The application judge found these conclusions were unreasonable.
I agree. [ 56 ] Although the arbitrator found the parties had agreed on the financial terms of the settlement on December 3 at 12:11 p.m., we know Mr. Pickard only agreed to change the structure of the settlement during the telephone conversation that occurred later that afternoon. It was not until December 10 that the Minutes of Settlement indicated (1) the general damages had been increased from $50,000 to $60,000 and (2) the other $60,000 would be received as a retirement allowance instead of wages.
Since the grievor was seeking a net amount and pushing all along for a higher amount of general damages, this structure change was significant, as he had been told that the general damages would not be taxable. [ 57 ] The last drafting changes, including the addition of paragraph 8, were made to the Minutes of Settlement in the evening of December 10. Mr. Salib only provided the grievor with the final Minutes of Settlement on December 11, at which time the grievor indicated that he wished to obtain financial advice. The memo from Ms.
Greene specifies the grievor provided her with the Minutes of Settlement and sought her advice on December 15, the day before the grievor advised Mr. Salib he would not sign the agreement because of the advice received. [ 58 ] The grievor could not, between December 3 and December 10, obtain financial advice concerning the final settlement, as the revised Minutes of Settlement were forwarded to Mr. Salib on December 10, at 10:43 a.m., and further revised by Mr. Salib during the evening of December 10.
The grievor was only provided with the final Minutes of Settlement on December 11. [ 59 ] The parties knew the grievor was only interested in a settlement that would let him net at least $100,000. On December 3, Mr. Pickard asked that the documents be signed by the grievor first and returned to him so he could then approach the City and recommend the settlement to it. Mr. Salib replied that the matter would only be finalized once all signatures were put on the documents. He undertook to ensure the grievor signed prior to Mr. Pickard approaching the City. On December 10, Mr.
Pickard reiterated his request that the grievor sign the documents and he would hold onto the signed documents until he had confirmation the City would agree. [ 60 ] In the circumstances of this case, on December 10, it was reasonable for Mr. Salib to believe that, to arrive at a binding agreement, two conditions had to be met: first, the grievor would have to sign the Minutes of Settlement and the Release, then, the City would have to sign the Minutes of Settlement. This did not occur. [ 61 ] This is not a situation where the grievor had a change of heart.
He refused the proposed settlement because the financial advice he received was contrary to what he had been told. The negotiations were focused on the grievor obtaining a minimum net amount of $100,000. This could only happen if the amount received as general damages was not taxable. The financial advice the grievor obtained from the chartered accountant was that the amount of $60,000 identified as general damages would be subject to income tax. This was a game changer. This new information was in stark contrast to the assertions made by Mr.
Pickard that the general damages would not be taxable, which was reflected in paragraph 2(
b) of the Minutes of Settlement: “$60,000 in general damages, with no deductions.” [ 62 ] Mr. Salib clearly signalled to Mr. Pickard that the Union would not settle the grievance unless the grievor signed the settlement documents. If the grievor wanted to accept a financial settlement, the Union would support him. Otherwise, since the Union was of the view the grievor (a long-term employee with a good file) had a good case for reinstatement, it was prepared to go to arbitration.
[ 63 ] I agree with the application judge that the circumstances surrounding the settlement negotiations, including the contents of the Minutes of Settlement, clearly demonstrate the parties’ mutual intention that the grievor’s approval and signature would be required before the settlement became effective, valid, and binding between the parties. The arbitrator’s finding that the grievance had settled even though the grievor refused to sign was unreasonable in the circumstances. C. Additional grounds of appeal [ 64 ] I will now deal with the additional contentions raised by the City. 1.
Did the application judge err in law by holding that the City had drafted the final Minutes of Settlement? [ 65 ] The evidentiary record established that both Mr. Salib and Mr. Pickard were involved in developing and concluding the Minutes of Settlement. Relying on para. 59 of the application judge’s decision, the City contends the application judge made a factual finding that is unsupported and inconsistent with the evidentiary record when he found Mr. Pickard had drafted the “ final Minutes of Settlement” (emphasis added). I disagree.
In fact, the words used by the judge were: “the proposed Minutes of Settlement drafted by the City ─ Mr. Pickard” (emphasis added; para. 59). The record does show that the initial version of the proposed Minutes of Settlement contained in the record was drafted by the City. The application judge only uses the expression “final Minutes of Settlement” in para. 51, where he refers to the document that was finalized on December 10. The judge understood changes were made by Mr. Salib on December 10, before he concluded the final Minutes of Settlement.
The judge stated: “Other changes were made to the documents as suggested by Mr. Salib and Mr. Pickard responded that the changes were ‘…fine with me’.” (at para. 19) and “Mr. Salib sent back a further revised version of the Minutes of Settlement on December 10, having added clause 8” (at para. 35). There is no merit to this ground. 2.
Did the application judge err in law by reversing the legal presumption that unions can settle grievances without the grievor’s consent? [ 66 ] The City maintains that, while the application judge recognized Manitoba and Brinks as being relevant authorities on settlement agreements, he reversed the legal presumption explained in Brinks . It points to para. 52 of the judge’s decision and asserts he reversed the presumption by holding that settlement agreements are conditional on the grievor’s approval unless there is clear evidence to the contrary.
It contends reversing the presumption is a fundamental error of law and warrants appellate intervention. I do not agree the application judge reversed the presumption. He simply indicated that in Brinks , which he was then discussing and paraphrasing, it was not evident that the presumptive right of the union to settle the grievance had been displaced. [ 67 ] He acknowledged it was “open to a union and an employer to settle a grievance without the specific concurrence of a grievor” (at para. 46).
However, he found that in the present case, “both the City and the Union made the acceptance of the terms of the agreement by the Grievor a condition precedent to the effectiveness of the settlement”, and “[t]hose conditions were evident from both the terms of the proposed Minutes of Settlement and from the conduct of the parties as expressed in the emails exchanged between Mr. Pickard and Mr. Salib” ( ibid .).
In other words, he found the evidence was sufficient, in this case, to displace the presumptive right of the Union to settle the grievance without the grievor’s approval and concluded that the arbitrator’s finding there were “no such clear evidence to displace the presumption” was unreasonable as it did not “reflect the evidentiary record and general factual matrix” (at para. 53). I find no merit to this ground. 3.
Did the application judge err in law by relying on an issue not raised by the parties? [ 68 ] The Local Governance Act , S.N.B. 2017, c. 18 , was neither pleaded by the parties nor raised as a ground of review before the application judge. However, during the application hearing, the judge questioned counsel as to whether and how Mr. Pickard could have had the authority to bind the municipal council and referred to his own experience as counsel to a municipality.
The City contends the application judge introduced new evidence by referring to his own experience and raised a new argument, namely the Local Governance Act , and therefore exceeded the scope of judicial review.
[ 69 ] The application judge concluded there could not be a binding agreement because there was no meeting of the minds since the parties had made the approval of the grievor and the City “a true condition precedent to the agreement” (at para. 54). In the next paragraph, he commented it would be an error in law to conclude Mr. Pickard had authority “ if you consider the relevant
section of the Local Govern[ance] Act” (emphasis added; para. 55). [ 70 ] In my view, the judge’s observation is obiter dicta and was not the basis on which he found the arbitrator’s decision was unreasonable. The application judge admitted as much during the hearing by saying, “my decision will not be based on that” and there was no “need to go there.” The Local Governance Act was not in issue. The judge did not take extraneous circumstances into account to arrive at his decision. I do not find it necessary to comment further on his incidental expression of opinion, not essential to the decision.
As Drapeau C.J.N.B. noted in J.D. Irving, Limited v. Hughes and Astle , 2010 NBCA 23 , 358 N.B.R. (2d) 49 , observations that may find their way into the reasons for decision “are not appealable, being obiter dicta ” (at para. 24). I would dismiss this ground as it has no merit. VI. Conclusion and Disposition [ 71 ] The arbitrator’s decision is unreasonable. The application judge’s decision to quash it should be upheld. For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $3,000 payable to the Union. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LAVIGNE I.
Introduction et contexte [1] Le Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 51 (le Syndicat) a déposé un grief pour le compte de son membre Kevin Britt (le plaignant), alléguant que la Ville de Moncton (la Ville) a mis fin abusivement à son emploi de poseur de tuyaux, en contravention de la convention collective conclue entre les parties. La réintégration dans son poste a été demandée. [2] Des discussions ont eu lieu en vue d’un règlement. Le 10 décembre 2020, les négociateurs des parties se sont entendus sur le libellé des documents constatant un tel règlement. Ces documents n’ont été signés ni par les deux parties ni par le plaignant.
Ils ont été remis au plaignant, qui a sollicité les conseils financiers d’une comptable agréée. Quelques jours plus tard, le Syndicat a informé la Ville du refus du plaignant de signer les documents et de son souhait d’être réintégré dans son poste. [3] La Ville était d’avis que les parties avaient conclu un accord obligatoire le 10 décembre et que la signature du plaignant n’était pas nécessaire.
Le Syndicat n’était pas d’accord avec elle à cet égard et a affirmé qu’il avait exprimé clairement durant les négociations qu’il ne réglerait pas ce grief, fondé sur un licenciement abusif allégué, à moins que le plaignant n’approuve et ne signe les documents constatant le règlement. Il soutenait en outre que le représentant de la Ville avait exprimé clairement qu’il n’avait qu’un pouvoir limité, de sorte que l’assentiment de la Ville serait nécessaire avant que le règlement ne devienne obligatoire et exécutoire. [4] La question a été soumise à une arbitre à
titre préliminaire. Celle-ci a conclu que les parties avaient réglé le grief à l’amiable et qu’il n’y avait plus de question à résoudre par voie d’arbitrage. Le Syndicat a demandé la révision judiciaire de la décision de l’arbitre. [5] Le juge saisi de la requête a accueilli la requête et annulé la décision, permettant de ce fait au processus d’arbitrage de se poursuivre afin que le grief puisse être entendu sur le fond. À son avis, la décision de l’arbitre était déraisonnable puisqu’elle était dépourvue de logique interne et indéfendable au regard du droit et des faits qui liaient l’arbitre.
Il a conclu que les parties n’avaient pas convenu d’un accord obligatoire parce que la convention de règlement était subordonnée à l’approbation du
plaignant, du Syndicat et de la Ville. Cette dernière interjette appel de cette décision. [6] Selon moi, le juge saisi de la requête a procédé à un contrôle de la décision de l’arbitre selon la norme de la décision raisonnable conformément aux directives données par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration) c. Vavilov , 2019 CSC 65 , [2019] 4 R.C.S. 653 , et a conclu à bon droit que la décision de l’arbitre était déraisonnable dans les circonstances. [7] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. II.
Contexte [8] Le grief déposé le 14 février 2020 a été renvoyé à l’arbitrage. Son audition devait commencer le 6 janvier 2021. Des discussions en vue d’un règlement ont eu lieu. À l’origine, ce sont Marcos Salib, un représentant national du Syndicat, et Laura Armes, la Gestionnaire, Relations de travail et assurance invalidité de la Ville, qui négociaient pour les parties. Le 24 novembre, M. Salib a été informé que M e Ian Pickard, du cabinet McInnes Cooper d’Halifax, s’occuperait du dossier à l’avenir pour le compte de la Ville. Les discussions en vue d’un règlement se sont poursuivies. [9] MM.
Salib et Pickard transigeaient l’un avec l’autre depuis plusieurs années. Ils se sont entendus sur le libellé des documents constatant le règlement (un compte rendu de règlement et une renonciation) dont la rédaction a été achevée le 10 décembre. La question à trancher est celle de savoir si l’entente était subordonnée à la signature des documents par le plaignant, le Syndicat et la Ville. [10] MM.
Salib et Pickard ont témoigné devant l’arbitre le 27 septembre 2021. [11] Il s’agit d’une affaire qui repose essentiellement sur les faits, puisque le contexte juridique dans le cadre duquel la question devait être résolue n’est pas réellement contesté. Il importe d’exposer certains détails des échanges de courriels entre MM.
Salib et Pickard parce que toutes les discussions en vue du règlement se sont déroulées par courriel, sauf pour une conversation téléphonique entre eux à laquelle je fais référence au par. 17. [12] Durant les négociations, il est devenu évident que, pour régler l’affaire, le plaignant voulait empocher au moins la somme nette de 100 000 $. Le montant versé ainsi que la façon dont le règlement serait structuré auraient un effet sur les déductions qui s’imposeraient, sur l’impôt payable et, ultimement, sur le montant net qu’allait obtenir le plaignant.
Il a été question de sommes de 100 000 $, 110 000 $ et 120 000 $, dont une partie, dans chaque cas, constituerait des dommages-intérêts généraux et une autre du salaire ou une indemnité de retraite. La moitié de ce dernier montant serait versé à la fin d’une année et l’autre moitié au début de l’année suivante. Comme l’a écrit l’arbitre : [TRADUCTION] « M. Pickard avait le sentiment que toutes les discussions en vue d’un règlement visaient à tenter de maximiser le montant net que recevrait le plaignant, ce pour quoi militait ce dernier. »
Il n’y a pas de divergence d’opinions sur ce point; le plaignant ne s’intéressait qu’au montant net qu’il recevrait, et ce sujet a fini par dominer les négociations. [13] Le 26 novembre 2020, la Ville a offert 100 000 $; le plaignant souhaitait obtenir 120 000 $. M. Pickard a demandé s’il était [TRADUCTION] « possible de régler si une
partie plus importante du montant proposé par la Ville était versée à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux ». Le 27 novembre, M. Pickard a indiqué que la Ville avait approuvé un partage 50/50 et, faisant référence à la somme de 50 000 $ qui serait payée à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux, il a affirmé : [TRADUCTION] « Le 50 000 n’est pas du tout imposable. » [14] Le 1 er décembre, les parties ont discuté d’une possible offre de 110 000 $. M. Salib a écrit à M. Pickard, indiquant que le plaignant voulait savoir quel montant net il recevrait [TRADUCTION] « avant de prendre sa décision ». Environ 10 minutes plus tard, M. Pickard a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « Il obtiendrait la somme nette de 92 000 $ » : [TRADUCTION] Le calcul est facile. Nous pouvons le structurer comme une indemnité de retraite de sorte que la seule retenue serait les 30 % obligatoires
d’impôt fédéral. Il obtiendrait 42 000 $ sur les deux versements de 30 000 $ et la somme de 18 000 $ déduite serait remise à
titre d’impôt au gouv. fédéral. Nous ne ferions aucune retenue pour le RPC ou l’AE. Il obtiendrait la somme nette de 92 000 $ (42 000 nets sur les 60 000 puis 50 000 en généraux), 18 000 $ seraient remis en impôt. [15] Le 2 décembre, M. Salib a informé M. Pickard que le plaignant n’avait pas changé de position et voulait toujours 120 000 $. M. Pickard a demandé à M. Salib d’informer le plaignant que l’offre de 110 000 $ serait retirée à 16 h ce jour-là et a formulé le commentaire suivant : [TRADUCTION] « J’espère que [le plaignant] comprend que, s’il devait recevoir des dommages-intérêts à
titre de réparation, tous ces dommages-intérêts seraient entièrement imposables et feraient l’objet des déductions au
titre de l’AE et du RPC. » Plus tard ce jour-là, M. Pickard a proposé une structure différente, soit qu’une portion plus importante du paiement soit versée à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux, ce qui aboutirait à une somme nette de 95 000 $ : [TRADUCTION] « Je lui offre 60 000 à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux, plus 50 000 à
titre de salaire. Cela représente pour lui 95 000 nets. » [16] Le 3 décembre, à 12 h 11, M. Pickard a indiqué que l’offre de 120 000 $ était acceptée, affirmant que, si le plaignant [TRADUCTION] « veut moins d’argent dans ses poches, c’est son choix ». Il a conclu ainsi : [TRADUCTION] « Lorsque nous nous entendrons entièrement sur le [protocole d’entente], il nous faudra obtenir l’approbation définitive de la Ville. » À 12 h 18, M. Pickard a envoyé par courriel le compte rendu de règlement révisé qui faisait état de la nouvelle somme dont il avait été convenu, soit 120 000 $ (70 000 $ à
titre de salaire et 50 000 $ à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux), et a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « Veuillez le faire signer par [le plaignant] et me le retourner. Je communiquerai ensuite avec la Ville. Laura et moi recommanderons fortement ce règlement. » Les différentes versions du compte rendu de règlement contenaient des lignes pour les signatures respectives du plaignant, du Syndicat et de la Ville, dans cet ordre. À 12 h 19, M. Salib a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « Oui, je suis d’avis aussi que l’affaire sera uniquement réglée lorsque toutes les signatures auront été apposées sur un document. » À 12 h 20, M.
Salib a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « Oui, je vais m’assurer que [le plaignant] signe avant que vous ne tentiez d’obtenir l’assentiment de la Ville. » À 12 h 22, M. Pickard a écrit : « Merci Marcos. » M. Pickard n’a ni contredit ni commenté l’affirmation et la compréhension de M. Salib selon lesquelles l’entente ne serait conclue définitivement que lorsque toutes les signatures seraient apposées sur les documents constatant le règlement; il n’y a pas réagi non plus. L’arbitre a noté que, selon le témoignage de M. Pickard, [TRADUCTION] « [i]l n’a pas répondu au courriel de M.
Salib parce qu’il avait le sentiment que le plaignant n’avait rien à faire dans le processus de négociation et que sa signature n’était pas requise, puisque le règlement était conclu par lui-même et M. Salib / le Syndicat ». [17] À 12 h 31 le même jour, M. Salib a demandé à M. Pickard si la structure du règlement pouvait être modifiée; plutôt que 70 000 $ (à
titre de salaire) / 50 000 $ (à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux), il demandait 60 000 $ (à
titre de salaire) / 60 000 $ (à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux). À 12 h 34, M. Pickard a répondu qu’il ne consentait pas au changement de structure et a affirmé : [TRADUCTION] « J’ai essayé de lui faire économiser de l’argent, mais il n’a pas voulu (aucune idée pourquoi) alors c’est 120 000 70/50. » Peu après 12 h 39, MM. Salib et Pickard se sont parlé au téléphone, et ce dernier a consenti à modifier la structure du règlement comme il le lui était demandé. L’arbitre a noté que M. Pickard avait affirmé durant son témoignage qu’il avait [TRADUCTION] « averti M. Salib que la Ville ne pouvait pas offrir plus et M.
Sali[b] a[vait] convenu que [TRADUCTION] “tout est réglé” ». [18] Le 10 décembre 2020, à 10 h 43, M. Pickard a envoyé par courriel à M. Salib les documents révisés constatant le règlement. Les documents faisaient désormais état de 60 000 $ à
titre d’indemnité de retraite (anciennement de salaire) et 60 000 $ à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux. Dans son courriel, M. Pickard a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « Veuillez obtenir [l]a signature [du plaignant] sur le compte rendu de règlement, tout comme celle du Syndicat, et sur la renonciation. Veuillez me faire parvenir les documents signés. Je les conserverai jusqu’à ce que la Ville ait confirmé son acceptation. » [19] À 18 h 45, M. Salib a proposé des modifications au compte rendu de règlement, y compris l’ajout du par. 8 (dont je discuterai ultérieurement) et des modifications aux par. 2, 3, 4 et 5. Celles-ci ont été acceptées par M.
Pickard, qui a aussi porté à l’attention de M. Salib une erreur dans le compte rendu de règlement qui devait être corrigée, et il lui a demandé : [TRADUCTION] « Pourriez-vous corriger cela avant qu’il signe? Par ailleurs, ça me convient. » À 19 h 24, MM. Pickard et Salib s’étaient entendus sur le libellé des documents constatant le règlement. M. Pickard a affirmé durant son témoignage que, à ce moment-là, il comprenait qu’ils avaient réglé, puisqu’ils s’entendaient sur toutes les questions. Cependant, comme l’a noté l’arbitre, M.
Pickard a reconnu durant l’audition qu’il [TRADUCTION] « se demandait toujours si le plaignant allait signer, mais il pensait que cela n’était pas déterminant pour le règlement définitif ». [20] M. Salib a mis la touche finale au compte rendu de règlement nouvellement révisé et a présenté les documents constatant le règlement au plaignant le 11 décembre
Le paragraphe 2 du compte rendu de règlement faisait état d’un règlement total de la somme de 120 000 $ devant être répartie de la façon suivante :
a. 60 000 $ payés à
titre d’indemnité de retraite, subordonnés uniquement à une obligation de retenue à la source de 30 % pour l’impôt fédéral (déduction); b. 60 000 $ à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux, sans déduction, en lien avec le licenciement de M. Britt qui lui a causé de la souffrance morale et un préjudice, et pour l’intimidation et le harcèlement sur le lieu de travail . [Soulignement ajouté. ] [21]
Le paragraphe 3 stipulait que la moitié de l’indemnité de retraite, moins les déductions, serait versée en décembre 2020 et l’autre moitié en janvier
Le paragraphe suivant (qui figurait dans le compte rendu depuis, à tout le moins, la version envoyée par M. Pickard le 3 décembre) expliquait que le montant net du règlement n’était pas garanti et qu’il était au seul risque du plaignant, qui s’engageait à indemniser la Ville et le Syndicat à l’égard de toute réclamation pouvant découler d’une caractérisation erronée ou de la déduction insuffisante d’impôt ou de toute autre remise.
Il était libellé ainsi : [TRADUCTION] L’acceptation par l’ARC, EDSC, Service Canada ou toute autre autorité gouvernementale de cette répartition du montant global du règlement n’est pas garantie par l’employeur ou le Syndicat et, dans l’éventualité où la répartition ne serait pas acceptée par l’ARC, EDSC, Service Canada ou toute autre autorité gouvernementale, cette répartition du règlement est au seul risque du plaignant et ne lui donne pas droit à d’autres montants de la part de l’employeur ou du Syndicat.
Tel que le prévoient la renonciation complète et définitive et l’indemnisation annexées au présent compte rendu de règlement, le plaignant s’engage à indemniser l’employeur et le Syndicat à l’égard de toute réclamation, demande, intérêt ou pénalité de la part de l’ARC, d’EDSC, de Service Canada ou de toute autre autorité gouvernementale, en ce qui a trait à la caractérisation erronée ou à la déduction insuffisante d’impôt ou d’autres remises découlant du présent règlement. [22]
Le paragraphe 8, qui a été ajouté à la demande de M. Salib le 10 décembre, était libellé ainsi : Le plaignant accepte de plein gré les conditions du règlement, il a eu la possibilité de poser des questions au Syndicat et la possibilité de consulter un conseiller juridique et un conseiller financier indépendants . Le plaignant reconnaît que le Syndicat lui a fourni une représentation complète et équitable à toutes les périodes pertinentes. [Soulignement ajouté.] [23] L’arbitre a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « M.
Salib a affirmé durant son témoignage que le plaignant avait indiqué au cours de leur rencontre du 11 décembre qu’il souhaitait obtenir une opinion sur les conditions financières de l’offre et qu’il l’avait informé le 16 décembre qu’il ne signerait pas, en raison des conseils qui lui avaient été donnés. » [24] La preuve présentée à l’arbitre comprenait un avis daté du 15 décembre 2020, préparé par Meghan Greene, une comptable agréée du cabinet comptable Thiel Greene.
Cet avis, qui est adressé au plaignant, indique que ce dernier a remis le compte rendu de règlement à M me Greene le 15 décembre et lui demandait une opinion quant à savoir si le 60 000 $ qu’il devait recevoir à
titre de dommages-intérêts généraux serait imposable. La recherche, l’opinion et les motifs de M me Greene figurent dans un avis de quatre pages. Selon le libellé du compte rendu de règlement, M me Greene était d’avis que le montant de 60 000 $ décrit comme des dommages-intérêts généraux serait imposable puisqu’il correspondait à une indemnité de retraite au sens de la Loi de l’impôt sur le revenu , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 1 (5 e suppl .). Elle recommandait des modifications au libellé des documents.
Cependant, dans le dernier paragraphe de son avis, elle affirme : [TRADUCTION] « Finalement, sur le fondement de la recherche décrite précédemment, il pourrait être difficile de faire soustraire des dommages-intérêts quels qu’ils soient à l’impôt s’ils se rapportent au licenciement et si, sans ce licenciement, ils n’auraient pas été payés. » [25] Manifestement, cela aurait une incidence sur le montant net que le plaignant s’attendait à recevoir à
titre de règlement du grief. Je le répète, M. Pickard avait affirmé à plus d’une reprise qu’il n’y aurait aucun impôt à payer sur les dommages-intérêts généraux. [26] Le 16 décembre 2020, M. Salib a informé M. Pickard par courriel du refus du plaignant de signer les documents et de son souhait d’être réintégré dans son poste à la Ville. Il a laissé entendre qu’ils devaient désormais discuter du processus d’arbitrage.
[27] Les deux hommes se sont parlé au téléphone le 18 décembre. Les parties ne s’entendent pas sur la teneur de cette conversation qui s’est déroulée après l’échec des négociations. Selon le témoignage de M. Pickard, M. Salib [TRADUCTION] « a convenu durant la conversation qu’un accord obligatoire avait été conclu entre la Ville et le Syndicat, mais qu’il n’avait d’autre choix que de faire marche arrière parce que le plaignant ne consentait pas à l’accord ». M. Salib nie avoir convenu qu’ils avaient conclu un accord obligatoire. Selon son témoignage, il avait compris que M.
Pickard allait devoir obtenir l’assentiment de la Ville pour régler et, le 10 décembre, il n’était pas au courant que M. Pickard était habilité à régler le grief; il avait plutôt compris que le Syndicat, la Ville et le plaignant allaient encore devoir approuver et signer le compte rendu de règlement avant que l’entente devienne obligatoire et exécutoire. L’arbitre n’a pas tiré de conclusion quant à savoir si, durant cette conversation, M. Salib avait convenu qu’il y avait un accord obligatoire. [28] Le 21 décembre, M. Salib a fait parvenir un courriel à M.
Pickard parce qu’il souhaitait organiser une conférence téléphonique avec l’arbitre; l’audience d’arbitrage devait commencer le 6 janvier 2021. M. Pickard a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « Je signale que la Ville est d’avis qu’elle et le SCFP ont conclu un accord obligatoire comme le démontre notre échange de courriels de la soirée du 10 décembre 2020. » III.
Moyens d’appel [29] La Ville soutient que le juge saisi de la requête a commis une erreur de droit en appliquant erronément la norme de contrôle de la décision raisonnable à la décision de l’arbitre et en concluant que celle-ci était déraisonnable. [30] De plus, la Ville fait valoir que le juge a commis une erreur de droit : (1) en concluant que la Ville a rédigé le compte rendu de règlement définitif, (2) en renversant la présomption de droit selon laquelle un syndicat peut régler un grief sans le consentement du plaignant, et (3) en se fondant sur une question qui n’avait pas été soulevée par les parties.
À mon avis, ces assertions supplémentaires sont sans fondement. J’en traiterai brièvement à la fin de mon analyse. IV. Norme de contrôle [31] Dans le cadre d’un appel comme celui qui nous occupe, la question que doit trancher la Cour est simplement celle de savoir si le tribunal d’instance inférieure a cerné la bonne norme de contrôle et l’a appliquée correctement.
Pour trancher ce dernier élément, la Cour doit « se mettre à la place du tribunal d’instance inférieure » (le juge saisi de la requête) tout en menant une analyse centrée sur la décision administrative (la décision de l’arbitre), en recourant à la bonne norme de contrôle (voir Agraira c. Canada (Sécurité publique et Protection civile ) , 2013 CSC 36 , [2013] 2 R.C.S. 559 , par. 45-46 ; Ayangma c.
Université de Moncton, Campus de Moncton et autre , 2019 NBCA 73 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 292 (QL) , par. 14 ). [32] Tous s’accordent pour dire que la norme de contrôle appropriée applicable à la décision de l’arbitre est celle de la décision raisonnable. V. Analyse A. La norme de contrôle de la décision raisonnable [33] Le juge saisi de la requête a correctement cerné la norme de contrôle applicable et a fait référence à l’arrêt Vavilov pour s’y renseigner sur le rôle du tribunal lorsqu’il procède à un contrôle selon la norme de la décision raisonnable.
La question principale en appel est celle de savoir si le juge a bien appliqué la norme de la décision raisonnable aux circonstances de la présente affaire. [34] La Ville soutient que le juge saisi de la requête a mal appliqué la norme de contrôle puisque, tout en affirmant appliquer celle de la décision raisonnable, il a appliqué celle de la décision correcte. Elle fait valoir que son analyse a été motivée par ce qu’il considérait comme le résultat « correct », soit que l’entente était subordonnée à la signature du compte rendu de règlement par le Syndicat, la Ville et le plaignant.
Elle affirme que, en tirant cette conclusion, le juge saisi de la requête a mal appliqué les principes de droit relatifs aux conventions de règlement dans le contexte du travail et n’a pas fait preuve de déférence à l’endroit de l’arbitre, substituant ses propres conclusions de faits à celles de cette dernière.
[35] L’examen du caractère raisonnable « tire son origine du principe de la retenue judiciaire et témoigne d’un respect envers le rôle distinct des décideurs administratifs ».
Cependant, « [c]e type de contrôle demeure rigoureux » et ne constitue pas une « “simple formalité” ni […] un moyen visant à soustraire les décideurs administratifs à leur obligation de rendre des comptes » ( Vavilov , par. 13 ). [36] Pour déterminer si la décision administrative est raisonnable, une cour de révision doit se concentrer sur deux facteurs clés : le résultat de la décision administrative et le raisonnement suivi ( Vavilov , par. 83 ). [37] Dans l’arrêt Vavilov , la Cour suprême a fait état de deux types de failles fondamentales qui rendent la décision de l’arbitre déraisonnable : « La première est le manque de logique interne du raisonnement.
La seconde se présente dans le cas d’une décision indéfendable sous certains rapports compte tenu des contraintes factuelles et juridiques pertinentes qui ont une incidence sur la décision » (par. 101).
Pour être raisonnable, une décision doit à la fois être « fondée sur une analyse intrinsèquement cohérente et rationnelle » et « justifiée au regard de l’ensemble du droit et des faits pertinents » (par. 85 et 105). [38] Dans l’arrêt Vavilov , bien que la Cour suprême ait confirmé que les cours de révision ne doivent pas modifier les conclusions de fait d’un tribunal administratif à moins de circonstances exceptionnelles et devraient s’abstenir d’apprécier à nouveau la preuve prise en compte par le tribunal administratif (par. 125), elle a ajouté : Cela dit, une décision raisonnable en est une qui se justifie au regard des faits : Dunsmuir , par. 47.
Le décideur doit prendre en considération la preuve versée au dossier et la trame factuelle générale qui a une incidence sur sa décision et celle-ci doit être raisonnable au regard de ces éléments : voir Southam , par. 56. Le caractère raisonnable d’une décision peut être compromis si le décideur s’est fondamentalement mépris sur la preuve qui lui a été soumise ou n’en a pas tenu compte . […] [par. 126] B.
La décision de l’arbitre est-elle raisonnable? [39] La question qu’il faut trancher dans le présent appel est celle de savoir si la décision de l’arbitre est raisonnable compte tenu du droit applicable, de la preuve versée au dossier et de la trame factuelle générale qui a une incidence sur elle.
Ces contraintes permettaient-elles de conclure raisonnablement à l’existence d’un accord obligatoire le 10 décembre 2020, même si le plaignant et la Ville n’avaient pas signé les documents constatant le règlement? [40] L’arbitre a affirmé que [TRADUCTION] « ce sont les parties à une convention collective – la Ville et le Syndicat – qui assurent la conduite des griefs, ce qui comprend le pouvoir de les régler » et [TRADUCTION] « [qu’]il existe une jurisprudence importante indiquant qu’il n’est pas nécessaire qu’un règlement soit signé, ou même consigné, pour être considéré obligatoire, dans la mesure où il suppose un accord des volontés et l’absence d’autres questions à régler ».
Ces principes généraux font consensus. Le droit respecte et exécute les ententes conclues par les parties dans le contexte du travail. [41] Au soutien de ses assertions, l’arbitre a fait référence à deux sentences arbitrales, à savoir Manitoba c. M.G.E.U. , 1997 CarswellMan 679 (Freedman) , et Brinks Canada Ltd. c.
CAW-Canada Local 27 , 2012 CarswellOnt 6426 (Levinson) . [42] Dans la décision Manitoba , l’arbitre a déclaré : [TRADUCTION] Par principe, les syndicats et les employeurs règlent souvent les griefs verbalement et les règlent souvent par écrit; ils confirment aussi souvent par écrit les règlements conclus verbalement.
Pour autant que les faits démontrent clairement que la Province et le Syndicat ont inconditionnellement consenti à régler une affaire, et pour autant qu’il ne reste aucune question expressément ou implicitement en suspens entre eux sur la question de savoir si le plaignant doit être lié par l’entente , les règlements verbaux ou écrits entre le Syndicat et la Province lieront un plaignant . […] [ Soulignement ajouté ; par. 42] [43] Dans la décision Brinks , l’arbitre a résumé les principes applicables de la façon
suivante : [TRADUCTION] […] En l’absence d’une clause dans une convention collective conférant le droit de conduite d’un grief à un employé prisindividuellement, c’est le syndicat qui en a la conduite, ce qui comprend le droit de le régler à l’amiable. On peut conclure à l’existenced’un règlement entre un employeur et un syndicat, même lorsque les parties à la convention collective n’ont pas signé de protocoled’accord.
Il a déjà été décidé que la présence du nom du plaignant dans l’intitulé d’une convention de règlement qui comprend une lignesupplémentaire pour sa signature ne confère pas de droits à cet employé quant au règlement du grief autres que ceux autrement reconnuspar la convention collective. Par exemple, voir Air Canada and C.A.W., Loc. 2213 (Bourque) (Re) (2002), (CA LA),107 L.A.C. (4th) 250 (Ont. Arb.) (Saltman).
Cependant, les causes citées ne vont pas jusqu’à interdire à un employeur et à un syndicat,dans quelque circonstance que ce soit, de convenir qu’un plaignant doit lui aussi consentir aux conditions d’un règlement qu’ils ontacceptées avant que celui-ci prenne effet et qu’il devienne valide et obligatoire.
Cela dit, pour écarter le droit présumé d’un syndicat derégler un grief dont il assure la conduite, cette intention doit manifestement découler des circonstances et doit être clairement énoncéedans une convention de règlement. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 4] [44] L’arbitre a affirmé que, en l’espèce, elle n’a trouvé [TRADUCTION] « aucune preuve nette de la sortepermettant d’écarter la présomption ».
Elle a conclu que [TRADUCTION] « les parties étaient parvenues à une entente le10 décembre 2020 selon laquelle l’affaire était réglée inconditionnellement et [qu’]il ne restait plus aucune condition à négocier ». [45] Le juge saisi de la requête a conclu que la décision était déraisonnable puisque son raisonnement étaitdépourvu de logique interne et qu’elle était indéfendable compte tenu du droit et des faits se rapportant à cette décision.
Il a conclu : [TRADUCTION] L’arbitre a omis de tenir compte de la preuve qui lui avait été présentée et de s’assurer qu’elle avait été bien considérée et soupesée aubout du compte. Le résultat de sa décision ne peut être concilié avec le droit applicable et le dossier de la preuve ou la situation factuelleen général. Le plaignant, M. Britt, et le Syndicat n’ont fait aucune assertion qui aurait laissé entendre à M. Pickard que les parties étaientarrivées à un règlement définitif et obligatoire du grief.
L’examen de la décision de l’arbitre montre clairement que sa décision n’est pas fondée sur un raisonnement intrinsèquement cohérent etrationnel et qu’elle n’est pas justifiée, intelligible et transparente. Qui plus est, la décision est indéfendable à la lumière des contraintesfactuelles et juridiques pertinentes qui ont une incidence sur elle.
L’arbitre a omis d’effectuer une analyse appropriée et elle a écarté, malinterprété et mal appliqué une preuve substantielle qui établissait que l’entente de règlement était subordonnée à l’approbation del’employeur, du Syndicat et du plaignant, comme le démontre la nécessité d’obtenir la signature de ces derniers prévue dans le compterendu de règlement, signatures qui n’ont pas été obtenues. [par. 60-61] [46] Il souscrivait aux principes généraux énoncés dans les décisions Brinks et Manitoba.
Toutefois, il a jugé quela preuve, considérée dans son ensemble, démontrait clairement que, dans les circonstances de la présente affaire, tant la Ville que leSyndicat avaient subordonné la prise d’effet du règlement à la signature par le plaignant des documents le constatant. [47] M. Salib a confirmé lors de l’audience d’arbitrage qu’il avait été en communicationavec le plaignant tout au long du processus de négociation, sollicitant son point de vue et ses directives.
L’arbitre a conclu[TRADUCTION] « que le plaignant était très engagé dans les discussions en vue du règlement, non pas directement, mais à distance »,et [TRADUCTION] « que c’était lui qui insistait pour le montant des dommages-intérêts généraux supérieur à celui que la Ville étaitdisposée à offrir, mais qu’elle a fini par accepter ». [48] Tout au long de ses échanges par courriels avec M. Pickard, M. Salib a soutenu qu’ilcomprenait que tant les parties que le plaignant devaient signer les documents constatant le règlement avant qu’ils ne parviennent à unaccord obligatoire qui réglerait le grief.
Cela était compatible avec son témoignage rendu durant l’audience, que l’arbitre a rapporté dansles termes suivants : [TRADUCTION] Marcos Salib est représentant national du Syndicat depuis douze ans. Selon son témoignage, le plaignant avait un montant global en têtepour lequel il voulait régler, et qui lui procurerait un certain montant net. Lorsque M. Pickard a accepté son offre le 3 décembre à 12 h 11,il comprenait que ce dernier devrait obtenir l’approbation de la Ville. M. Salib a consenti à l’offre dans la note [TRADUCTION] « sous
toutes réserves » le 3 décembre à 12 h 19, en précisant qu’elle ne serait définitive que lorsqu’elle serait signée. Il comprenait que les deux parties devraient signer avant que le règlement soit conclu. Il a expliqué que, selon la
section locale, le plaignant, en tant qu’employé de longue date avec un bon dossier, avait de bons arguments à faire valoir lors de l’arbitrage en faveur d’une réintégration, mais que s’il souhaitait accepter le règlement financier, elle le soutiendrait. Il a affirmé n’avoir jamais eu le sentiment que le Syndicat/SCFP était
partie à l’entente; la
section locale « est propriétaire » du grief, et elle était prête à aller en arbitrage. Selon son témoignage, il ne savait pas en date du 10 décembre que M. Pickard avait obtenu de la Ville le pouvoir de régler le dossier. […] Il a nié que M. Pickard lui ait dit qu’il était autorisé à lier la Ville. Il a convenu que, après les négociations du 3 décembre, ils s’étaient entendus sur un projet de règlement, mais il estimait que cette entente provisoire devait obtenir l’aval de la
section locale, de la Ville et du plaignant. Selon lui, le compte rendu de règlement contenait comme condition que le plaignant devait signer le règlement pour qu’il soit exécutoire. [49] Pour sa part, M. Pickard a affirmé durant son témoignage que M. Salib ne lui avait jamais indiqué que l’acceptation des documents constatant le règlement était conditionnelle à la signature du plaignant .
Le Syndicat soutient que, dans les circonstances de la présente affaire (un employé de longue date avec un bon dossier et de bons arguments à faire valoir lors de l’arbitrage en faveur de la réintégration), il ne réglerait pas le grief sans la signature du plaignant, et que cela a été communiqué clairement et à plusieurs reprises. Dans son mémoire, le Syndicat a attiré l’attention sur les courriels suivants de M.
Pickard comme preuve qu’il savait que le règlement ne deviendrait obligatoire qu’après la signature par le plaignant des documents le constatant : • 26 novembre 2020 à 13 h 28 : [TRADUCTION] « Donc, c’est tout […] ou allez-vous […] parler [au plaignant] de nouveau? » • 27 novembre 2020 à 11 h 19 : [TRADUCTION] « Si Britt accepte 110 000 – 50 000 en généraux – 60 000 en salaire – nous tenterons d’obtenir l’approbation. » • 30 novembre 2020 à 11 h 05 : [TRADUCTION] « Veuillez confirmer l’acceptation de M.
Britt pour que nous puissions obtenir la confirmation de la Ville. » • 2 décembre 2020 à 12 h 03 : [TRADUCTION] « Veuillez informer M. Britt que l’offre sera retirée dans son intégralité à 16 h aujourd’hui et qu’elle ne sera pas présentée à nouveau, à quelque moment que ce soit. » • 2 décembre 2020 à 13 h 03 [TRADUCTION] « J’ai l’impression que M. Britt ne souhaite pas régler. » […] Si M.
Britt devait revenir et dire à propos des 110 000 qu’il voudrait recevoir 60 000 en généraux et 50 000 en salaire dont ne seraient déduits que le RPC et l’AE, il s’en tirerait mieux financièrement avec les 110 000 qu’avec les 120 000. » • 2 décembre 2020 à 15 h 25 : o [TRADUCTION] « Il [le plaignant] acceptera