2020 NBCA 5, 2020 NBCA 5
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 66-19-CA C.D.J. APPELLANT C.D.J. APPELANT - and - - et - H.R. RESPONDENT H.R. INTIMÉE C.D.J. v. H.R., 2020 NBCA 5 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French C.D.J. c.
H.R., 2020 NBCA 5 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench June 26, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 26 juin 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: November 19, 2019 Appel entendu : le 19 novembre 2019 Judgment rendered: January 30, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 30 janvier 2020
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Tracy Peters For the respondent: Rita Godin, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Tracy Peters Pour l’intimée : Rita Godin, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is allowed, and the order of the motion judge is set aside.
Access shall be as provided in the Separation Agreement dated December 21, 2017, except that it shall include an overnight every Wednesday, not a weeknight every second week. The father’s request for an interim child support order that is different from the support payable under the Separation Agreement shall be referred to the Court of Queen’s Bench for adjudication. The father shall pay costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli et l’ordonnance du juge saisi de la motion est annulée.
L’accès demeure celui qui est prévu dans l’accord de séparation daté du 21 décembre 2017, mais il inclura une nuitée tous les mercredis plutôt qu’une nuitée un soir de semaine toutes les deux semaines . La demande du père sollicitant une ordonnance alimentaire provisoire pour l’enfant différente de la prestation alimentaire payable en application de l’accord de séparation sera renvoyée à la Cour du Banc de la Reine afin d’être tranchée. Le père paiera des dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] On the heels of filing a Petition for Divorce, C.D.J. brought a motion for interim relief requesting an order for shared custody of his 8-year-old son, on a week on/week off basis, and a reduction in child support based on the application of s. 9 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR/97-175 (“ Guidelines ”) . H.R., the child’s mother, opposed the motion, taking the position her son’s primary care and residence should continue to be with her, as provided in a Separation Agreement entered into in December 2017.
Without hearing the parties on the merits, the motion judge ordered the continuation of the parenting arrangement reflected in the Separation Agreement, and he ordered interim child support based on the mother having the primary care of the child. I would allow the father’s appeal for the reasons that follow. II. Background
[ 2 ] In late 2010, the mother and father began living together, along with the mother’s daughter, born in 1999, and son, born in 2005. In October 2011, their son was born. They married in 2013 and separated on November 1, 2017. Shortly thereafter, the mother and father entered into the Separation Agreement. [ 3 ] The Separation Agreement provides for the mother and father to have joint custody of their son, and for his principal residence to be with the mother. It specifies that the child is to have access with his father (1) every second weekend, commencing at 4 p.m.
Friday and continuing until Monday morning, (2) one overnight during the week, every second week, (3) a full week, every second week during July and August, (4) the weekdays of the March Break and (5) one half of the holidays. The Separation Agreement states that the mother and father are to vary the
schedule according to the child’s best interests (and if they do not agree, either may make an application to the court to settle the issue). In addition to the specified access schedule, the Separation Agreement provides that the father “shall enjoy access at all additional time periods that are agreed to between the parties.” [ 4 ] In relation to child support, the Separation Agreement requires the father to pay $8,000 annually, which may be paid as a lump sum or in 10 monthly instalments of $800. Payments are not required during July and August, when access is a full week every second week.
The mother is employed as a nurse. The father is a fisherman, fishing lobster, herring and snow crab. He also earns an income as a “small grains” farmer and, at times, he receives Employment Insurance. The Separation Agreement states: The parties acknowledge that based on the type of custody and access, the [father] should pay child support to the [mother] in a lump sum payment on June 1st each and every year for a total of $8,000.00.
If the [father] cannot manage to pay child support as a lump sum, the [father] shall pay child support to the [mother] in the amount of $800.00 per month except during the months of July and August. The [father] shall commence to pay child support to the [mother] on February 1 st , 2018. The child support will be determined by the income shown on line 150 of the [father’s] income tax return. The [father] agrees that he will notify the [mother] immediately of any change in his income and that support for the child of this marriage will depend on his income.
Upon a written request to the [father] by the [mother], the [father] will supply to the [mother] a copy of his notice of assessment.
If there is a noticeable reduction in the [father’s] income, the [father] shall also supply the [mother] with any financial documents from the [father’s] business that may justify such reduction. [ 5 ] The Separation Agreement also provides for the mother to have “custodial control of the child tax credit” and declares that the child is to be ordinarily resident with her, as her dependent for i ncome tax purposes. [ 6 ] In September 2018, following the first summer where access was exercised every second week, the father stopped making his child support payments of $800 per month because, as he explained, “I have shared custody of [our son] and am incurring more costs than anticipated in the Separation Agreement.” The father has not made any contribution toward special expenses, which are required by the Separation Agreement to be shared equally. [ 7 ] Reflecting his claim that custody has been shared since the Separation Agreement was entered into, the father filed a Petition for Divorce on April 24, 2019, seeking an order for joint and shared custody on a week on/week off basis.
The Petition also requests that child support be determined under s. 9 of the Guidelines , retroactive to the date support first became payable under the Separation Agreement, that is, February 1, 2018. [ 8 ] On May 2, 2019, the father filed a Notice of Motion seeking an interim order for the same relief claimed in the Petition.
His supporting affidavit claims he has “shared physical custody of [their son] despite what the Separation Agreement states.” In addition to requesting an order for shared custody, on a week on/week off basis, he requests that there be no order for child support: (1) since the parties’ incomes (at line 150 of their tax returns) are similar; and (2) given their “respective contributions to the expenses incurred for” their son.
The motion was scheduled to be heard on June 17, 2019. [ 9 ] In her Responding Document and affidavit, the mother set out her opposition to the father’s request for interim shared custody on a week on/week off basis. Her position was that the status quo should continue until the divorce trial. She acknowledged this includes an overnight visit every week, instead of every second week as is specified in the Separation Agreement.
Together with the three-night weekend access every second week, the child has five overnights every fourteen days with his father, plus other access as specified in the Separation Agreement. [ 10 ] While the mother opposes week on/week off shared parenting, she acknowledges that interim child support
should be based on “shared access and the income[s] of both” the father and mother, under s. 9 of the Guidelines . However, she does not agree this would negate the father’s obligation to pay child support. She does not agree his income should be assessed based on line 150 of his tax return and maintains income must be imputed to him. She argues his income from fishing and farming is considerable, and she challenges his expenses relating to both.
In addition, she alleges he receives income from a snowplowing business he operates during the winter months, when he is not fishing or farming. [ 11 ] At the commencement of the hearing of the motion, the father sought leave to file two affidavits in reply to the claims made in the mother’s affidavit, one from himself and another from his father (the paternal grandfather). The mother objected, complaining that both affidavits had been sent to her counsel’s office on the Friday afternoon before the hearing.
The affidavits respond principally to the assertions in the mother’s affidavit regarding the unsuitability of a shared custody arrangement and the father’s care of their son. [ 12 ] In view of the mother’s objection, the motion judge advised the father there were two choices: 1) he would either proceed without the affidavits; or 2) he would accept them and grant the mother’s request for an adjournment.
After the father advised he did not wish to proceed without his affidavits nor did he believe an adjournment was necessary, the judge took a recess to review the two new affidavits. [ 13 ] When the judge returned, he observed that the “voluminous evidence in the affidavits already filed are contradictory and require oral evidence.” He declared “the primary issue of access and custody will have to be held at [a] hearing with oral evidence and the order that I have drafted will deal with that.” His order provides: “A date for the trial of the Petition for Divorce shall be set as soon as possible to determine the issues contained in the Motion and in the Petition for Divorce.” The order also provides that, on an interim basis:
a) For the issues of Custody and Access : The Status Quo prevails and the dispositions in the Separation Agreement […], relative to these issues shall apply […];
b) For the issue of child support : The Separation Agreement […] does not contain the [father’s] gross annual income for 2017. However, [his] 2017 and 2018 income tax returns were filed during the hearing of this Motion and they indicate his 2017 gross annual income to be $116,966.00 at line 150 and his 2018 gross annual income to be $73,966.00 at line 150.
Therefore, the child support payable […] shall be as follows: i. as of February 1, 2018, to and including December 1, 2018 , […] $1,000.73 per month […]; ii. as of January 1, 2019, and until further Order of this Court, […] $643.11 per month. [ 14 ] After the judge advised the parties he was ordering the “ status quo ” for custody and access, the mother’s counsel sought clarification by asking the judge if he intended the access to be as had been agreed to and exercised before the hearing, or as provided in the Separation Agreement.
The judge advised he was speaking of the access provided for in the Separation Agreement. [ 15 ] The father immediately sought leave to appeal, claiming the judge erred by failing to hear him on the substance of his motion, among other reasons. He also requested a stay of the judge’s order since he viewed it as ending the additional access that the mother acknowledged formed the status quo at the time of the hearing and reducing it to the level specified in the Separation Agreement.
Leave to appeal was granted; however, the motion for a stay was dismissed since the mother represented to the Court that the judge’s order respecting the “ status quo ” would be interpreted by her as including the additional access of every Wednesday, and she undertook to continue this access. [ 16 ] The Notice of Appeal sets out 11 grounds, of which the most pertinent to the father’s submissions to us are his claim the motion judge erred by: not hearing oral submissions on the motion before making an order on custody, access, retroactive and prospective child support; not considering the uncontested evidence that the status quo was not the same access provided for in the Separation Agreement; not adjourning to a later date to consider all the evidence; and determining retroactive and prospective child support on a primary care basis and not considering (1) the mother’s
acknowledgment that each parent had physical custody of the child for not less than 40% of the time over the course of the year and (2) the criteria under s. 9 of the Guidelines and the Supreme Court of Canada decision in Contino v. Leonelli–Contino , 2005 SCC 63 , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 217 . [ 17 ] Before us, the parties jointly submitted the motion judge erred and his decision must be set aside.
However, they disagree on whether the father’s motion ought to be returned to the Court of Queen’s Bench for a hearing or this Court should make the order that ought to be made. [ 18 ] The divorce trial is scheduled for a five-day hearing in October 2020. III. Analysis [ 19 ] As was indicated at the hearing, the Court accepts that neither party was heard on the merits of the father’s motion and the judge’s decision must be set aside. [ 20 ] The father asks this Court to order: (1) an access
schedule “as per the actual de facto status quo of an average of 13 overnights per month”; and (2) child support, both retroactively (from the time of the Separation Agreement) and prospectively, in accordance with s. 9 of the Guidelines , and based on the parties’ incomes as indicated on line 150 of their tax returns. [ 21 ] The mother maintains the motion was not heard and it should be sent back to be heard by another judge. Alternatively, and “if possible”, she asks that the matter not be addressed further and it proceed straight to trial on an expedited basis.
Failing either of those options, she asks that custody and access continue in any interim order as provided in the Separation Agreement, modified only to include weekday access occurring every Wednesday overnight. [ 22 ] In my view, this Court can and should make the custody and access order that ought to have been made. However, the evidentiary record does not permit a determination of the issues relating to child support and that part of the father’s motion must be returned for a hearing, if it is not otherwise withdrawn or resolved. A.
Access [ 23 ] While the father’s motion sought an interim order for shared custody on a week on/week off basis, and that was the position laid before the motion judge, as noted, he does not pursue that relief before this Court. He requests an order permitting the child to have access to him an average of 13 overnights per month. He says this is the average number of nights the child has spent with him over the past year. The mother says the current regular access schedule, including the agreed increase to access every Wednesday night, meets their son’s needs.
In my opinion, abandoning the request for an interim order for joint and shared parenting pending the hearing of the divorce trial is not a significant concession by the father; there is little in the conflicting affidavit evidence that suggests such a change, on an interim basis, is warranted. [ 24 ] Given there will be no interim change to the child’s primary residence, the question that remains is whether the existing specific access
schedule ought to be varied to ensure an average of 13 days per month, based on the father’s claim that this is the access he has had since the Separation Agreement. The father acknowledges that this amounts to his requesting nine more days, over the course of a full year, than the access currently specified under the Separation Agreement, when the additional Wednesday every two weeks is factored into the equation. The only rationale offered for how specifying nine additional days over the next 12 months is in the child’s best interests is the submission that a
schedule which does not maintain the total number of access days as occurred in the past would be harmful to the child. [ 25 ] Counting days in this manner and emphasizing only the principle of maximum contact fails to consider the other factors relevant to a broader assessment of the child’s best interests. It is difficult to see how past flexibility in permitting additional access, over that specified in the Separation Agreement, should be now chiseled into an interim order as specified access.
I appreciate that, given the recently more strained relationship between the parties, at least since the filing of the Petition, arranging additional access may be more difficult than has been the case in the past, and I would urge the kind of flexibility the Separation Agreement specifically contemplates. However, I am not at all persuaded it is in the child’s best interests to either change his weekly
schedule or arbitrarily specify nine more days of access throughout the next 12 months for the purpose of ensuring the total number of access days going
forward is equal to or more than the number of access days in the past. The record is clear, the child has a positive and loving relationship with both parents, but it does not provide a rational basis for making the order requested. The father’s request to change the agreed upon custodial arrangement to one of joint and shared custody will be determined at the divorce trial. [ 26 ] I would order access be as provided in the Separation Agreement, except that access shall include an overnight every Wednesday, not a weeknight every second week.
All other provisions of the Separation Agreement relating to custody and access should continue to govern, pending the divorce trial. B. Child support [ 27 ] The father submits that in lieu of a full s. 9 analysis, as contemplated by Contino , child support should be determined using a simple set off, based on the parties’ 2017 and 2018 incomes from line 150 of their tax returns.
He says that if child support is calculated in this manner, the mother would be required to pay him $163 per month in 2019 instead of his paying $8,000 per year as provided in the Separation Agreement. [ 28 ] In view of the sources of the father’s income and the request of the mother to impute income, we simply do not have a record upon which we could make a principled, non-arbitrary assessment of the child support that should be paid based on the application of s. 9. This is a unique case where there was no hearing.
There was no opportunity to address the appropriateness of cross- examination on the affidavit evidence, nor was there a chance to consider practical stipulations respecting the various issues raised by the mother or s. 9 . There is no income information for 2019. In view of the upcoming divorce trial, it is plain that any interim order for child support would simply, for all practical purposes, amount to a payment on account of child support that will be reconciled after the disputed issues are determined following the trial.
Nonetheless, the father’s income is disputed and a proper s. 9 analysis involves more than a mere mathematical calculation; a straight set off based on income is simply the starting point (see Baird J.A. in F.M. v. T.H. , 2016 NBCA 29 , 449 N.B.R. (2d) 240 , at paras. 17-20 ). [ 29 ] I would order the father’s request for an interim child support order that is different from that agreed to in the Separation Agreement be referred for a hearing, if it is not earlier settled or withdrawn. Until a child support order is made, interim or otherwise, the Separation Agreement governs.
It has been registered under the Support Enforcement Act , S.N.B. 2005, c. S-15.5 , and may be enforced as a support order made by the court. IV. Conclusion [ 30 ] I would allow the appeal and make the orders identified above. In my view, the mother has had the greater success on the issues in dispute and I would order the father to pay costs of $2,500. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE FRENCH
I. Introduction [1] Juste après le dépôt d’une requête en divorce, C.D.J. a déposé une motion pour mesures provisoires en vue de l’obtention d’une ordonnance de garde partagée de son fils de 8 ans, par alternance une semaine sur deux, et d’une réduction de la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant par application de l’ art. 9 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 (les Lignes directrices ) .
H.R., la mère de l’enfant, a contesté la motion, estimant qu’elle devrait continuer d’être le parent pourvoyeur principal de soins pour son fils, qui devrait continuer à avoir sa résidence principale chez elle , comme il est prévu dans l’accord de séparation conclu en décembre 2017. Sans entendre les parties sur le fond, le juge saisi de la motion a ordonné le maintien de l’arrangement parental qui est précisé dans l’accord de séparation et a rendu une ordonnance alimentaire provisoire pour l’enfant sur le fondement que la mère était la pourvoyeuse principale de soins pour l’enfant.
Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel du père pour les motifs qui suivent. II. Contexte [2] À la fin de 2010, la mère et le père ont commencé à vivre ensemble, avec la fille (née en 1999) et le fils (né en 2005) de la mère. En octobre 2011, leur fils est né. Ils se sont mariés en 2013 et se sont séparés le 1 er novembre 2017. Peu de temps après, la mère et le père ont conclu un accord de séparation. [3] L’accord de séparation prévoit que la mère et le père ont la garde conjointe de leur fils et que ce dernier réside principalement chez sa mère.
Il y est précisé que l’enfant a accès auprès de son père (1) une fin de semaine sur deux, du vendredi à 16 h au lundi matin, (2) une nuitée un soir de semaine, toutes les deux semaines , (3) une semaine complète, toutes les deux semaines en juillet et en août, (4) les jours de semaine durant le congé de mars et (5) la moitié des jours fériés. L’accord de séparation mentionne que la mère et le père apporteront des modifications au calendrier selon l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant (et que s’ils ne s’entendent pas, l’un ou l’autre peut présenter au tribunal une demande pour régler la question en litige).
Outre le calendrier d’accès qui y est fixé, l’accord de séparation prévoit que le père [TRADUCTION] « jouira d’un accès durant toutes autres périodes convenues entre les parties ». [4] Relativement à la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant, l’accord de séparation exige que le père paie 8 000 $ par année, sous forme de paiement forfaitaire ou de 10 mensualités de 800 $. Aucun versement n’est exigé en juillet ou en août, lorsque le père a un accès durant une semaine entière toutes les deux semaines. La mère travaille comme infirmière. Le père est un pêcheur de homard, de hareng et de crabe des neiges.
Il gagne également un revenu comme producteur de [TRADUCTION] « petites céréales » et, à l’occasion, il reçoit de l’assurance-emploi. L’accord de séparation stipule ceci : [TRADUCTION] Les parties reconnaissent que compte tenu du type de garde et d’accès, le [père] devrait payer une prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant à la [mère] sous forme de paiement forfaitaire de 8 000 $ le 1 er juin de chaque année. Si le [père] n’est pas en mesure de payer la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant sous forme de paiement forfaitaire, il la lui paie sous forme de mensualités de 800 $, sauf durant les mois de juillet et d’août.
Le [père] commence à payer la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant à la [mère] le 1 er février 2018. La prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant sera déterminée selon le revenu indiqué à la ligne 150 de la déclaration de revenu du [père]. Le [père] convient d’aviser la [mère] sans délai de tout changement dans son revenu et reconnaît que la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant issu de ce mariage sera fonction de son revenu. Sur demande écrite de la [mère] au [père], ce dernier fournira à la [mère] une copie de son avis de cotisation.
S’il y a une réduction notable du revenu du [père], ce dernier lui fournira également tout document financier de son entreprise pouvant justifier cette réduction. [5] L’accord de séparation prévoit également que la mère [TRADUCTION] « bénéficie du crédit d’impôt pour l’enfant » et stipule que l’enfant doit ordinairement résider chez la mère, en tant que personne à charge pour les besoins de l’impôt sur le revenu. [6] En septembre 2018, après le premier été durant lequel l’accès s’est exercé toutes les deux semaines, le père a cessé de payer la prestation alimentaire de 800 $ par mois pour l’enfant, parce que, comme il l’a expliqué, et je cite : [TRADUCTION] « J’ai la garde partagée de [notre fils] et j’engage plus de frais que ceux prévus dans l’accord de séparation ».
Le père n’a versé aucune contribution aux frais spéciaux, qui doivent être partagés à parts égales selon l’accord de séparation.
[7] Pour faire écho à sa prétention selon laquelle la garde a été partagée depuis la conclusion de l’accord de séparation, le père a déposé une requête en divorce le 24 avril 2019, sollicitant une ordonnance de garde conjointe et partagée par alternance une semaine sur deux.
Dans la requête, il demande également que la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant soit déterminée selon l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices et que cette prestation alimentaire soit rétroactive à la date à laquelle la prestation alimentaire est d’abord devenue payable aux termes de l’accord de séparation, soit le 1 er février 2018. [8] Le 2 mai 2019, le père a déposé un avis de motion dans lequel il sollicitait une ordonnance provisoire relativement à la même réparation sollicitée dans la requête en divorce.
Dans son affidavit à l’appui de la requête, il indique qu’il a [TRADUCTION] « la garde physique partagée de [leur fils] malgré ce qui est stipulé dans l’accord de séparation ». En plus de demander une ordonnance de garde partagée, par alternance une semaine sur deux, il demande qu’aucune ordonnance d’entretien d’enfant ne soit rendue : (1) puisque les revenus des parties (à la ligne 150 de leurs déclarations de revenus) sont semblables et (2) étant donné leurs [TRADUCTION] « contributions respectives aux frais engagés » pour leur fils.
La motion devait être entendue le 17 juin 2019. [9] Dans son document de défense et son affidavit, la mère énonce son opposition à la demande du père concernant la garde partagée provisoire par alternance une semaine sur deux. Elle soutenait qu’il y avait lieu de maintenir le statu quo jusqu’au procès de divorce. Elle a reconnu que dans l’état actuel des choses, l’accès comprend une visite avec nuitée toutes les semaines, plutôt que toutes les deux semaines comme il est indiqué dans l’accord de séparation.
Avec l’accès de trois nuitées une fin de semaine sur deux, l’enfant a cinq nuitées tous les quatorze jours auprès de son père, en plus d’autres périodes d’accès prévues dans l’accord de séparation. [10] Bien que la mère s’oppose au parentage partagé par alternance une semaine sur deux, elle reconnaît que la prestation alimentaire provisoire pour l’enfant doit être fondée sur [TRADUCTION] « l’accès partagé et le ou les revenus tant du père que de la mère, conformément à l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices .
Toutefois, elle n’estime pas que le père puisse être dispensé de son obligation de payer la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant. Elle n’estime pas que le revenu du père doive être évalué en fonction de la ligne 150 de sa déclaration de revenus et maintient qu’un revenu doit lui être attribué. Elle soutient que les revenus du père découlant de la pêche et de l’agriculture sont considérables et elle conteste ses dépenses y afférentes.
En outre, elle soutient qu’il reçoit un revenu d’une entreprise de déneigement qu’il exploite durant les mois d’hiver, lorsqu’il ne pratique pas la pêche ou l’agriculture. [11] Au début de l’audition de la motion, le père a demandé l’autorisation de déposer deux affidavits en réponse aux demandes formulées dans l’affidavit de la mère, l’un de lui-même et l’autre de son père (le grand-père paternel). La mère s’est opposée à cette demande, déplorant l’envoi des deux affidavits au bureau de son avocate le vendredi après-midi avant l’audience.
Les affidavits répondent principalement aux assertions faites dans l’affidavit de la mère concernant le caractère inapproprié de l’arrangement de garde partagée et les soins prodigués par le père à leur enfant. [12] Compte tenu de l’opposition de la mère, le juge saisi de la motion a expliqué au père qu’il y avait deux options : 1) soit de procéder sans les affidavits; 2) soit d’accepter les affidavits et d’accorder la demande d’ajournement de la mère.
Après que le père a indiqué qu’il ne souhaitait pas procéder sans ses affidavits et qu’il n’estimait pas qu’un ajournement soit nécessaire, le juge a pris une pause pour examiner les deux nouveaux affidavits. [13] À son retour, le juge a fait remarquer que les [TRADUCTION] « éléments de preuve volumineux contenus dans les affidavits ayant déjà été déposés sont contradictoires et requièrent un témoignage oral ». Il a déclaré : [TRADUCTION] « [L]a principale question d’accès et de garde devra être tranchée lors d’une audience avec témoignages oraux et l’ordonnance que j’ai rédigée en traitera. »
Son ordonnance prévoit ceci : [TRADUCTION] « Une date pour l’instruction de la requête en divorce sera fixée le plus tôt possible pour trancher les questions soulevées dans la motion et dans la requête en divorce. » L’ordonnance prévoit également ce qui suit, à
titre provisoire : [TRADUCTION]
a) Relativement aux questions de garde et d’accès : Le statu quo est maintenu et les clauses de l’accord de séparation […] portant sur ces questions s’appliquent […];
b) Relativement à la question de la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant : Le revenu annuel brut de 2017 du [père] n’est pas indiqué dans l’accord de séparation […]. Toutefois, [ses] déclarations de revenus de 2017 et de 2018 ont été déposées durant l’audition de la
présente motion et elles indiquent respectivement, à la ligne 150, que son revenu annuel brut de 2017 s’élève à 116 966 $ et son revenu annuel brut de 2018 s’élève à 73 966 $.
Par conséquent, la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant payable [...] est la suivante : i. à compter du 1 er février 2018 jusqu’au 1 er décembre 2018 inclusivement , [...] 1 000,73 $ par mois [...]; ii. à compter du 1 er janvier 2019 jusqu’à ce que notre Cour rende une autre ordonnance , [...] 643,11 $ par mois. [14] Après que le juge a indiqué aux parties qu’il allait ordonner le « statu quo » pour la garde et l’accès, l’avocate de la mère a demandé des clarifications au juge en lui demandant s’il envisageait l’accès convenu et exercé avant l’audience ou l’accès prévu dans l’accord de séparation.
Le juge a indiqué qu’il parlait de l’accès prévu dans l’accord de séparation. [15] Le père a immédiatement demandé l’autorisation d’interjeter appel, en soutenant que le juge avait commis une erreur en n’entendant pas le fond de sa motion, entre autres choses. Il demande également la suspension de l’ordonnance du juge, car selon lui, elle met fin à l’accès supplémentaire qui, la mère a-t-elle reconnu, fait
partie du statu quo en vigueur au moment de l’audience et réduit l’accès au cadre précisé dans l’accord de séparation.
L’autorisation d’interjeter appel a été accordée ; toutefois, la motion en suspension de l’ordonnance a été rejetée, car la mère s’est engagée devant la Cour à interpréter l’ordonnance de maintien du « statu quo » rendue par le juge comme incluant la période d’accès supplémentaire tous les mercredis et à poursuivre l’exercice de cet accès. [16] L’avis d’appel énonce 11 moyens d’appel, dont les plus pertinents pour ce qui est des observations que le père a présentées devant nous portent sur sa prétention voulant que le juge ait commis une erreur : en n’entendant pas les observations orales se rapportant à la motion avant de rendre une ordonnance de garde, d’accès et de prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant rétroactive et prospective; en ne considérant pas les éléments de preuve non contestés selon lesquels le statu quo ne constituait pas le même accès que celui prévu dans l’accord de séparation; en ne reportant pas l’audience à une autre date pour examiner l’ensemble des éléments de preuve; en fixant la prestation alimentaire rétroactive et prospective pour l’enfant sur le fondement de qui était pourvoyeur principal de soins et en ne considérant pas (1) la reconnaissance de la mère du fait que chaque parent avait la garde physique de l’enfant au moins 40 % du temps au cours d’une année et (2) le facteur énoncé à l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices et la décision de la Cour suprême du Canada dans Contino c.
Leonelli-Contino , 2005 CSC 63 , [2005] 3 R.C.S. 217 . [17] Les parties ont conjointement soutenu devant nous que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur et que sa décision doit être annulée. Toutefois, elles ne s’entendent pas sur la question de savoir si la motion du père doit être renvoyée pour audition devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine ou si notre Cour doit rendre l’ordonnance qui s’impose. [18] Le procès de divorce de cinq jours est fixé en octobre 2020. III. Analyse [19] Comme il a été mentionné lors de l’audience, la Cour admet qu’aucune
partie n’a été entendue sur le fond de la motion du père et que la décision du juge doit être annulée. [20] Le père demande à notre Cour d’ordonner : (1) un calendrier d’accès [TRADUCTION] « selon le statu quo de facto en vigueur, qui représente une moyenne de 13 nuitées par mois »; et (2) une prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant, tant rétroactivement (à compter de l’accord de séparation) comme pour l’avenir, conformément à l’art. 9 des Lignes directrices et compte tenu des revenus des parties qui sont indiqués à la ligne 150 de leurs déclarations de revenus. [21] La mère soutient que la motion n’a pas été entendue et qu’elle doit être renvoyée à la Cour du
Banc de la Reine pour être entendue par un autre juge. Subsidiairement, et [TRADUCTION] « dans la mesure du possible », elle demande de ne pas approfondir la question et de se rendre directement à procès le plus promptement possible. Dans le cas où ni l’une ni l’autre de ces options n’est retenue, elle sollicite une ordonnance provisoire visant à maintenir la garde et l’accès comme prévu dans l’accord de séparation, mais à élargir l’accès en semaine pour comprendre une nuitée tous les mercredis. [22] À mon avis, notre Cour peut et devrait rendre l’ordonnance de garde et d’accès qui s’impose.
Toutefois, le dossier de preuve n’autorise pas la détermination des questions se rapportant à la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant, et cette
partie de la motion du père doit être renvoyée pour audition, si elle n’est pas autrement retirée ou résolue. A. Accès [23] Bien que la motion du père sollicite une ordonnance provisoire de garde partagée par alternance une semaine sur deux , et qu’il s’agissait de la position qui a été présentée devant le juge saisi de la motion, comme je l’ai mentionné, le père n’a pas saisi notre Cour de cette mesure. Il sollicite une ordonnance autorisant l’accès de l’enfant auprès de lui pour une moyenne de 13 nuitées par mois.
Il dit qu’il s’agit du nombre moyen de soirées que l’enfant a passées auprès de lui au cours de la dernière année. La mère dit que le calendrier d’accès régulier actuel, y compris l’accès élargi convenu pour toutes les nuitées du mercredi, satisfait les besoins de leur enfant. À mon avis, l’abandon de la demande d’ordonnance provisoire de parentage conjoint et partagé en attendant l’audition du procès en divorce ne constitue pas une importante concession de la part du père; il y a peu d’éléments dans la preuve par affidavit contradictoire qui justifient d’apporter pareilles modifications à
titre provisoire. [24] Étant donné qu’aucun changement provisoire ne sera apporté à la résidence principale de l’enfant, la question qui demeure est de savoir si le calendrier d’accès précis actuel devrait être modifié pour assurer une moyenne de 13 jours par mois, selon la prétention du père selon laquelle il s’agit de l’accès dont il jouit depuis l’accord de séparation.
Le père reconnaît que sa demande comporte neuf jours de plus, au cours d’une année complète, que l’accès qui est actuellement prévu dans l’accord de séparation, lorsqu’on tient compte, dans le calcul, des mercredis supplémentaires aux deux semaines.
La seule justification avancée sur la raison pour laquelle le fait de préciser les neuf jours supplémentaires pour les 12 prochains mois est dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant repose sur l’observation selon laquelle un calendrier qui ne maintient pas le nombre total des jours d’accès à celui qui correspond au nombre de jours d’accès qui ont eu lieu dans le passé nuirait à l’enfant. [25] Le fait de calculer les jours de cette manière et de seulement privilégier le principe du contact maximum ne prend pas en considération les autres facteurs pertinents par rapport à une évaluation plus large de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
Il est difficile de voir comment la souplesse accordée dans le passé relativement à l’accès supplémentaire, en plus de celui prévu dans l’accord de séparation, devrait maintenant être incorporée dans une ordonnance provisoire comme un accès expressément prévu. Je comprends que, étant donné la relation entre les parties qui est récemment plus tendue, du moins depuis le dépôt de la requête, l’organisation de l’accès supplémentaire puisse constituer un exercice plus difficile qu’il ne l’a été dans le passé, et je préconise le genre de souplesse expressément prévue dans l’accord de séparation.
Toutefois, je ne suis pas du tout convaincu qu’il est dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant d’apporter des modifications à son calendrier hebdomadaire ou de préciser arbitrairement neuf autres jours d’accès au cours des 12 prochains mois afin que le nombre total de jours d’accès soit dans l’avenir égal ou supérieur au nombre de jours d’accès accordés dans le passé. Le dossier est clair; l’enfant entretient une relation positive et affectueuse avec ses deux parents, mais ne renferme aucun fondement rationnel pour rendre l’ordonnance sollicitée.
La demande du père visant à remplacer l’arrangement de garde convenu par un arrangement de garde conjointe et partagée sera examinée au procès de divorce. [26] Je suis d’avis d’ordonner l’accès comme il est prévu dans l’accord de séparation, mais l’accès inclura une nuitée tous les mercredis plutôt qu’une nuitée un soir de semaine toutes les deux semaines. Toutes les autres dispositions de l’accord de séparation se rapportant à la garde et à l’accès continueront de s’appliquer, en attendant le procès de divorce. B.
Prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant [27] Le père soutient qu’au lieu de l’analyse complète que commande l’art. 9, comme le prévoit Contino , la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant devrait être déterminée en opérant une simple compensation, en fonction des revenus de 2017 et de 2018 des parties indiqués à la ligne 150 de leurs déclarations de revenus.
Il dit que si la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant est calculée de cette manière, la mère serait tenue de lui payer 163 $ par mois en 2019 plutôt que ce soit lui qui paie à la mère 8 000 $ par année comme il est prévu dans l’accord de séparation. [28] Considérant les sources de revenus du père et la demande de la mère d’attribuer un revenu au père, nous ne disposons tout simplement pas d’un dossier sur lequel nous pourrions procéder à une évaluation fondée sur les principes et
non arbitraire de la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant qui doit être payée sur le fondement de l’application de l’art. 9. Il s’agit d’un cas unique où il n’y a pas eu d’audience. Il n’y a eu aucune possibilité d’aborder le caractère approprié du contre-interrogatoire sur la preuve par affidavit ni occasion de prendre en considération des stipulations pratiques relatives aux diverses questions soulevées par la mère ou à l’art. 9. Il n’y a aucun renseignement sur les revenus de 2019. Vu la tenue prochaine du procès de divorce, il est évident qu’une ordonnance alimentaire provisoire pour l’enfant reviendrait simplement, en pratique, à un paiement au
titre de la prestation alimentaire pour l’enfant, paiement qui sera concilié une fois que les questions en litige seront tranchées à l’issue du procès. Néanmoins, le revenu du père est contesté et une analyse appropriée selon les exigences de l’art. 9 nécessite plus qu’un simple calcul mathématique; une compensation simple en fonction des revenus n’est que le point de départ (voir la juge d’appel Baird dans F.M. c.
T.H. , 2016 NBCA 29 , 449 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 240 , aux par. 17 à 20 ). [29] Je suis d’avis d’ordonner que la demande du père sollicitant une ordonnance alimentaire provisoire pour l’enfant qui est différente de la prestation alimentaire convenue dans l’accord de séparation soit renvoyée à la Cour du Banc de la Reine pour audition, à moins que la demande ne soit réglée ou retirée avant. Jusqu’à ce qu’une ordonnance d’entretien d’enfant soit rendue, que l’ordonnance soit provisoire ou autre, l’accord de séparation s’applique. Cet accord a été enregistré sous le régime de la
Loi sur l’exécution des ordonnances de soutien , L.N.-B. 2005, ch. S-15.5 , et elle peut être exécutée comme une ordonnance alimentaire rendue par le tribunal. IV. Conclusion [30] Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel et de rendre les ordonnances indiquées ci-dessus. À mon avis, la mère a obtenu plus de succès sur les questions en litige, et je suis d’avis d’ordonner au père de payer des dépens de 2 500 $.