2016 NBCA 24, 2016 NBCA 24
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 48-15-CA GLENDON RUSSELL APPELLANT GLENDON RUSSELL APPELANT - and - - et - WORKPLACE HEALTH, SAFETY and COMPENSATION COMMISSION RESPONDENT COMMISSION DE LA SANTÉ, DE LA SÉCURITÉ ET DE L’INDEMNISATION DES ACCIDENTS AU TRAVAIL INTIMÉE Russell v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission of New Brunswick, 2016 NBCA 24 Russell c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail, 2016 NBCA 24 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Appeals Tribunal established under the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission Act : March 2, 2015 Appel d’une décision du Tribunal d’appel constitué en vertu de la
Loi sur la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail : le 2 mars 2015 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: October 21, 2015 Appel entendu : le 21 octobre 2015 Judgment rendered: May 19, 2016 Jugement rendu : le 19 mai 2016
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Timothy M. Collins For the respondent: Matthew Robert Letson Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Timothy M. Collins Pour l’intimée : Matthew Robert Letson THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] Glendon Russell suffered a serious injury in 1992 when he fell through a porch while delivering mail as an employee of Canada Post. Since at least 1998, Mr. Russell’s resulting work restriction has been consistently accommodated by his delivering mail with the use of a right hand drive van. In October 2012 however, Canada Post replaced the van with a left hand drive Ford Transit. Mr. Russell claimed this change in vehicles caused a flare up of the injuries he sustained in 1992 and effectively ended Canada Post’s accommodation of his work restriction. [ 2 ] In November 2012, Mr.
Russell’s physician placed him “off work” until a previously scheduled assessment of his partial disability could be completed. This assessment had been arranged for January 2013 by Canada Post, through its disability management provider, Great West Life/Morneau Shepell, as part of an ongoing program to assess employees having a partial disability. Following this assessment, Mr. Russell’s work restrictions were confirmed; however, he did not resume duties with Canada Post and he has not worked since. [ 3 ] In May 2013, almost six months after being placed off work, Mr.
Russell filed a claim with the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission seeking to have his time lost from work (since November 2012) covered as a recurrence of his 1992 workplace injury. Canada Post opposed Mr. Russell’s claim and advised the Commission that when Mr. Russell’s physician put him “off work”, six months earlier, it was “due to a non-occupational condition”. [ 4 ] In July 2013, the Commission dismissed Mr. Russell’s claim. His appeal to the Appeals Tribunal was denied. He appeals that decision to this Court. [ 5 ] For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss Mr. Russell’s appeal.
The record before the Appeals Tribunal
does not support Canada Post’s submission that Mr. Russell was put “off work” for a non-occupational condition; the record is clear, he was put off by his physician as a consequence of his complaining of increased pain following the change in vehicles. However, the majority of the Tribunal concluded Mr. Russell did not establish that his 1992 injury disabled him or caused him to lose time from work. Mr. Russell has not satisfied me there is an error in this decision. In essence, it was reasonable for the Appeals Tribunal to conclude Mr.
Russell did not establish that a recurrence of his 1992 injuries caused his loss of work and the resulting loss of income, following November 2012. II. Background [ 6 ] Mr. Russell has been an employee of Canada Post since 1971. The injuries he sustained when he fell through the porch of a home in 1992 were accepted as arising out of his employment. The Government Employees Compensation Act , R.S.C., 1985, c. G-5 applied, and his claim for compensation was administered by the Commission. [ 7 ] Mr.
Russell suffered a chronic peri-scapular muscle sprain and has been diagnosed with a chronic myofascial pain syndrome. For the purposes of his employment, Mr. Russell has been treated by Canada Post as having a permanent partial disability. [ 8 ] Following a lengthy period of recovery and reintegration back into the full time workforce, Mr. Russell secured a route delivering mail using a right hand drive van. For the next 14 years, Mr. Russell fulfilled his duties without reporting any problems related to the injuries he sustained in 1992.
This changed in October 2012 after Canada Post replaced the right hand drive van with the left hand drive Ford Transit. [ 9 ] A submission made by Canada Post (to the Appeals Tribunal) and the Commission (in this appeal), is that there was no “formal” accommodation of Mr. Russell’s permanent partial disability, pursuant to
Article 54 of the Canada Post collective agreement.
Article 54 provides a process for an employee, who has a partial disability from an injury in the workplace, to seek an accommodation. This submission is not supported by the record. [ 10 ] As part of his rehabilitation, Mr. Russell attempted to use his seniority to secure a mail route he was physically capable of handling. Canada Post worked closely with Mr. Russell in this regard. The record indicates his initial accommodation with a van was interrupted when he was removed from the route after another employee, with more seniority, claimed the right to Mr. Russell’s route.
He filed a grievance, and a Memorandum of Settlement, dated in March 1998, was signed. In this memorandum, Canada Post “acknowledges that they moved Mr. Russell from a rehab position (route #69) without following the provisions of
Article 54 of the collective agreement”. A few months later, following a letter from Mr. Russell requesting a specific accommodation (and a Union - Management meeting, held in August 1998), an acknowledgement was signed by Canada Post confirming it accepted the union’s request that Mr. Russell be “assigned under
Article 54 to Route # 62 given the recommendation by his physician”. [ 11 ] On appeal to this Court, the Commission points out that neither the Memorandum nor the Acknowledgement makes express reference to Mr. Russell being accommodated with a right hand drive van. However, both clearly relate to an
Article 54 accommodation and the record before the Appeals Tribunal was that, since then, Mr. Russell has consistently worked with a van. The record also indicated it was well known that Mr. Russell’s accommodation included the use of the right hand drive vehicle. None of this was disputed. [ 12 ] Based on this record, it is difficult to understand the rationale for Canada Post and/or the Commission maintaining the position that Mr. Russell had not been accommodated under
Article 54 and had self-accommodated. The distinction is not relevant to Mr. Russell’s claim for worker’s compensation benefits. [ 13 ] Mr. Russell claimed the use of the Ford Transit exacerbated the pain from the injuries he sustained in 1992 - in the area of his upper back and neck. His evidence before the Appeals Tribunal was that, while he found working from the new vehicle difficult, he was able to complete his route, although it took longer; however, after Canada Post installed a rack for holding mail in the front passenger seat area of the Ford Transit, the job became very difficult.
This new configuration required him, over the course of the day, to frequently and repetitively lift above his shoulder, causing increased pain and making the task too difficult. The evidence before the Appeals Tribunal was that, on more than one occasion, Mr. Russell advised his supervisors about these difficulties. [ 14 ] After using the new vehicle for approximately one month, Mr. Russell began a scheduled vacation, during the
week of November 12, 2012. [ 15 ] Coincidentally, after waiting over two years to be assigned a new family physician (following the death of his former physician), an initial appointment with his new physician occurred, during his vacation, on November 14, 2012. At this first appointment, Mr. Russell explained the difficulty and pain he experienced as a result of the change in vehicles at work. Mr. Russell also explained that in January 2013 he was scheduled to have a permanent partial disability (“PPD”) assessment, relating to the injuries resulting from his 1992 accident.
This assessment had been previously scheduled by Canada Post’s disability management provider, Great West Life/Morneau Shepell. The purpose of the PPD was to assess the extent of Mr. Russell’s permanent partial disability and the adequacy of his workplace accommodation. His physician put him “off work” until this assessment could be completed. [ 16 ] Mr. Russell reported to Canada Post that he had been put “off work” by his physician and it provided him with income continuation benefits, akin to short-term disability/sick benefits.
Canada Post’s disability management provider, Morneau Shepell, was responsible for administering Mr. Russell’s short-term “off work” claim. This was separate from Morneau Shepell’s distinct responsibility for the ongoing PPD assessments of Canada Post employees - a process that began five months earlier, in June 2012, in connection with Mr. Russell’s PPD assessment. [ 17 ] The record is clear that, at the time Mr. Russell was put “off work”, Canada Post was aware he had been, or was soon to be, scheduled to have his workplace disability assessed; he was to have a PPD assessment.
The key component of the PPD assessment arranged by Morneau Shepell was a Functional Capacity Evaluation (“FCE”). Before this two day evaluation could be undertaken however, Morneau Shepell required a physician approve or “clear” Mr. Russell’s participation. Typically, the clearance would come from an employee’s family physician but Mr. Russell did not have a family physician at the time Morneau Shepell first attempted to
schedule the assessment. To expedite the PPD, in October 2012, Morneau Shepell sought and obtained Canada Post’s consent to
schedule (and pay for) an independent medical examination (“IME”) of Mr. Russell, in the place of an approval from a family physician. [ 18 ] The record is also clear that Morneau Shepell had been advised by Mr. Russell in November 2012, within days of the appointment with his physician, that he was “off work” because of the difficulties he experienced at work following the change in vehicles. Canada Post knew or should have known, at least by the time it opposed Mr.
Russell’s compensation claim in May 2013 (and certainly by the time of the Appeals Tribunal hearing in January 2015), he had not been put “off work” due to a non-occupational condition. [ 19 ] The IME was undertaken on January 4, 2013, and the FCE was undertaken on January 31 and February 1, 2013. The reports of both the IME and the FCE were before the Appeals Tribunal. [ 20 ] By the end of February 2013, Mr. Russell’s short-term disability benefits from Canada Post ran out. It was suggested that he apply for long-term disability benefits, which he did.
Long-term disability benefits were not provided by or administered through Great West Life/Morneau Shepell. The LTD insurer was Sun Life. Mr. Russell’s evidence before the Appeals Tribunal was that his LTD application was based on depression, anxiety and insomnia. There was also evidence the depression was connected to his inability to return to work at Canada Post where he had worked for approximately 40 years. The minority decision of the Appeals Tribunal accepted this as fact. There was no similar finding by the majority. [ 21 ] Mr. Russell’s application for LTD benefits was initially denied.
Almost 2 years later, shortly before the Appeals Tribunal hearing in January 2015, his claim was allowed. [ 22 ] Without any income, in May 2013, Mr. Russell applied for worker’s compensation benefits. [ 23 ] Canada Post took the position, and advised the Commission, that Mr. Russell had been put “off work” by his physician in November 2012 due to a “non-occupational condition”. Its position was later set out in a letter to the Commission from Canada Post’s Occupational Abilities Coordinator, NB/PEI dated June 7, 2013.
The submissions made in this letter continued to reflect the position of Canada Post before the Appeals Tribunal in January 2015. It states: Please be advised that the employer wishes to challenge the acceptance of this report of injury. We do not believe this claim should be accepted pursuant to Policy 21-011, as well as Section 4(1) of GECA , (the federal “ Government Employee Compensation Act ”) as we feel the reported incident should not be entitled to Lost Time benefits .
According to the information on file, the worker was put off work by a medical practitioner effective November 19, 2012 to present due to a non occupational condition . On May 13, 2013, the employee approached his supervisor advising he wished to report his current absence from work as occupational absence rather than non occupational. The employee did not report a specific incident to the employer therefore the employer doesn’t believe that the injury “arose out of and in the course of employment”. The employer doesn’t believe that the accident happened at work nor that it has been caused by work .
Based upon the information provided on the Form 10 dated November 14, 2012 there is no evidence to suggest that this incident is work related . In light of the above we wish to formally object to lost time on the above noted claim. In addition, the employer requests that a risk analysis be performed prior to adjudicating this claim. In adjudicating this claim, we ask you to consider Policy 21-011 as well as Section 4(1) of the GECA as it pertains to the test for entitlement to compensation.
In light of the above, we do not feel that this report of injury meets the requirements of the GECA and as a result should be denied. [ 24 ] The “Form 10” referred to in this letter is a Commission form, completed by Mr. Russell’s physician in reference to the appointment she had with him on November 14, 2012. In it she states: “Myofascial Pain Syndrome.
Recurrence of symptoms after change of equipment (Right Hand Drive Truck) end of September 12”. [ 25 ] In its submission to the Appeals Tribunal, Canada Post (and in its submission to this Court, the Commission) points out that the Form 10 is dated in May 2013, not the time of the November 2012 appointment - inferring this supports the assertion that Mr. Russell was not put “off work” by his physician for reasons related to his employment. The Appeals Tribunal made no such finding and, as will be explained more fully below, the record does not support the submission that Mr.
Russell was put “off work” for a non-occupational condition. [ 26 ] The Commission denied Mr. Russell’s claim for compensation based on time lost from work since November 2012. The adjudicator’s letter to Mr. Russell, dated July 17, 2013, set out the reasons. It provides: A new Form 67 (Report of Accident) and medical reports have been received on your claim. You reported to your employer on May 10, 2013 that you needed to complete a Form 67 regarding your absence from work since November 19, 2012 until the present. You had stated that you were suffering a recurrence of an injury that occurred on March 31, 1992.
You reported that you have been away from work due to upper back and neck area pain. The employer states that you had not complained of ongoing pain or discomfort and that this recent incident did not involve any specific workplace incident. You reported to your employer you had no difficulty performing your job duties until approximately October 1, 2012 when your vehicle type was changed from a right hand drive to a Ford transit. Medical notes that your employer received during this timeframe indicated out for medical reasons but no specifics were given .
A WorkSafeNB Medical Advisor reviewed your file and although the symptoms you are having are the same as before (back in 1992), there is no objective medical evidence to show any significant change in your condition, and that your symptoms would not be disabling. The symptoms of upper back and shoulder girdle pain without any underlying pathology or tissue damage are the same as before. These do not warrant disablement. There is no medical evidence to show that your symptoms have worsened .
Therefore, your application to WorkSafeNB to cover your time lost as a “recurrence” of this claim is denied . [Emphasis added.] [ 27 ] While the Commission notes that Canada Post reported Mr. Russell had not complained of any pain or discomfort, the undisputed evidence before the Appeals Tribunal was that Mr. Russell had indeed reported to his supervisor the difficulty he had delivering mail using the new vehicle. [ 28 ] Mr. Russell appealed the Commission’s decision and a hearing before the Appeals Tribunal was held on January 21, 2015. Canada Post opposed Mr. Russell’s appeal and was represented at the hearing.
[29] The Appeals Tribunal was divided. The majority dismissed his appeal. III. Issues on Appeal [30] Mr.
Russell’s grounds for appeal are that the Appeals Tribunal: a. erred in law in substituting its own opinion over the consensus medical opinion of both the WHSCC and the appellant; b. failed to appreciate the nature and significance of significant evidence or disregarded same; c. committed palpable and overriding error in requiring a standard of proof that [in] the within case could not be met and as a resultasked itself the wrong question in the within matter depriving it of jurisdiction; and d. made conclusions of fact wholly unsupported by the evidence. IV. Analysis A. The Standard of Review [31] In Williams v.
New Brunswick (Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission), 2013 NBCA 32,405 N.B.R. (2d) 52, Green J.A. recently stated the following in relation to the standard of review: The appropriate starting point is to set out the standard of review applicable to appeals from decisions of the Tribunal, as articulated onbehalf of the Court by Robertson J.A. in The City of Saint John v.
The Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission of NewBrunswick and Rowe, 2008 NBCA 83, 338 N.B.R. (2d) 213: I begin my analysis with a brief discussion of the relevant principles surrounding the standard of review to be applied to decisions of theAppeals Tribunal. For purposes of deciding this appeal, the significance of the Supreme Court's recent decision in Dunsmuir v. NewBrunswick, [2008] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL), 2008 SCC 9, may be restricted to the reality that there are only two review standards: correctnessand reasonableness.
The third review standard of patent unreasonableness has been eliminated and, hence, in cases where deference isowed, the review standard must be reasonableness. Applying Dunsmuir, the jurisprudence of this Court is consistent with the followinggeneral framework. With respect to pure questions of law or jurisdiction, decisions of the Appeals Tribunals are owed no deference and,hence, correctness is the applicable review standard. When it comes to allegations of breaches of the fairness duty, the general rule is thatno deference is owed the tribunal's ruling.
The standard of review with respect to questions of fact remains "palpable and overriding".This applies equally to findings of credibility. Questions of mixed fact and law are owed deference on the review standard ofreasonableness. In my opinion, the Appeals Tribunal did not breach the fairness duty, nor did it commit a palpable and overriding error indeciding as it did. […] For the sake of clarity, I make the following comment. For all practical purposes, there is no substantive difference between the"palpable and overriding" standard of review and the standard of reasonableness.
While one term has been employed when our Court isasked to undertake a review of a question of fact, and the other a question of mixed fact and law, it may fairly be characterized as adistinction without a real difference. To clarify even further, I would add this: the palpable and overriding test applies to both questionsof fact and questions of mixed fact and law. For a full discussion on point, see Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235.An error which is palpable and overriding is, by definition, unreasonable. [para. 7] See also VSL Canada Ltd. v.
Workplace Health Safety and Compensation Commission and Duguay et al, 2011 NBCA 76 , 2011NBC 76, 376 N.B.R. (2d) 292, for a comprehensive review of the jurisprudence on point, as well as an explanation of the link between
the key statutory provisions and the governing standard of review. B. The Decision [ 32 ] Both the majority and minority decisions of the Appeals Tribunal summarize quite fully the evidence presented and the various submissions that were made. Both conclude however with a brief
summary of findings and a disposition. The majority’s conclusion is as follows: After weighing the information presented, it is the decision of the Appeals Panel to deny this appeal. The appellant has a myofascial pain syndrome. This is a chronic condition having existed since his work-related injury in 1992 [page 407 of the Appeal Record]. The appellant went on scheduled vacation November 10, 2012. Coincidentally, while on vacation, the appellant was to meet his new family physician for the first time.
The appellant brought in a doctor’s note indicating he would be absent from work due to medical reasons from November 19, 2012, to January 10, 2013. This is backed up by a March 22, 2013, memo from the disability management provider [page 646 of the Appeal Record]. On January 4, 2013, the appellant had his scheduled appointment with Dr. Pike for an independent medical examination, which was to update the company insurance carrier’s files [pages 402-409 of the Appeal Record]. In fact, Dr.
Pike stated in his assessment that the appellant’s current symptoms were: …pain in the mid-back region at the thoracic level radiating out into the shoulder blades. He describes the pain as a tightness or an ache. He states that it is always there although he does have good days and bad days. He states that activities such as twisting or working above the shoulders increases his pain and that treatment with heat and specifically moist heat seems to improve his symptoms. … [sic] [page 328 of the Appeal Record] The result of this IME was that he could participate in a Functional Capacity Evaluation.
The FCE was performed January 31 and February 1, 2013, where he demonstrated the ability to perform general work tasks meeting the full demands of the sedentary physical demand level, nearing the light physical demand level [pages 440-457 of the Appeal Record]. In February 2013, the appellant applied for long-term disability (LTD) [page 693 of the Appeal Record] and testified it was for depression and anxiety. On May 14, 2013, the appellant filled out a form 67 reporting a recurrence of his 1992 injury [page 333 of the Appeal Record].
The appellant went six months on sick leave and short-term disability and finally applied for LTD before he claimed the injury was a recurrence. Under testimony, the appellant said that if he were given his old RHD vehicle back, he could start work right away. The appellant has a chronic myofascial pain syndrome and while he might have suffered a flare-up, he reported to Dr. Pike on January 4, 2013, that, “…it is always there although he does have good days and bad days. …” [page 328 of the Appeal Record].
The Appeals Panel could find no objective medical evidence which shows the body functions currently affected have changed since the original compensable injury. C. Submissions Regarding Mr. Russell being put “Off Work” and the Delay in his Advancing a Claim for Compensation [ 33 ] Both Canada Post (throughout its involvement) and the Commission (in this appeal) submit Mr. Russell was placed “off work” in November 2012 for non-occupational reasons. Also, the fact Mr.
Russell was put “off work” while he was on vacation and six months passed before he applied for worker’s compensation benefits, are marshaled to support the inference that Mr. Russell’s claim, to have suffered a reoccurrence of his 1992 injuries, is not credible. The same may be said of the suggestion that the Form 10, completed Mr. Russell’s physician with respect to the November 14, 2012 appointment, was not signed until May 2013. These submissions go directly to Mr.
Russell’s claim that his physician put him “off work” because his 1992 injury was aggravated by delivering mail with the new vehicle. [ 34 ] The majority reasons give the initial impression that the majority may have accepted Canada Post’s
submissions. Had the decision in dismissing Mr. Russell’s appeal expressly addressed these submissions, it might not be necessary to do so now. However, the submissions are prejudicial to Mr. Russell’s claim, they are not supported by the record and their influence on the decision of the Appeals Tribunal is arguably relevant to the appeal before this court. They must be addressed. [ 35 ] Mr.
Russell’s position has been consistently that: Canada Post accommodated his work restriction resulting from the 1992 accident by supplying him with a right hand drive van; he experienced pain and had difficulty delivering the mail after the van was replaced; he reported these difficulties to his supervisor; and, when he reported these difficulties and the pain to his physician, he was put “off work” until the PPD assessment could be completed - with the expectation the assessment would be helpful in solving the problems caused by the new vehicle.
His position before the Appeals Tribunal, and this Court, was also that he has never indicated that he was “off work” for a non-occupational reason but rather, he has always indicated he was put “off work” due to his 1992 injury and the change in vehicles at work – with the expectation that the previously scheduled PPD assessment would assist in his return to work. [ 36 ] The record discloses considerable activity and communication on the part of Canada Post during the months prior to Mr. Russell being put “off work” in relation to: (
i) the nature of Mr. Russell’s accommodation with a right hand drive van; (ii) the difficulty he had performing his duties after the van was replaced; and (iii) the circumstances surrounding his physician’s decision to put him “off work”. [ 37 ] As early as 2010, Morneau Shepell, in its capacity as Canada Post’s disability management provider, sought to perform a PPD assessment of Mr. Russell as part of a routine review of employees working with permanent partial disabilities. The PPD assessment did not proceed in 2010. Mr. Russell did not have a family physician. Also, Canada Post viewed Mr. Russell as not accommodated under
Article 54 and, as a consequence, it advised Morneau Shepell there was no need to proceed with the assessment. [ 38 ] In June 2012, Morneau Shepell once again sought to conduct a PPD assessment of Mr. Russell. By letter dated June 20, 2012, the case manager wrote to Mr. Russell’s supervisors advising they opened up a PPD review case to assess his current PPD limitations. The letter explained that the purpose of the review was to ensure Mr. Russell’s limitations were up to date and accurate, and also to ensure a safe and productive workplace accommodation.
The case manager explained that the most recent PPD restrictions for Mr. Russell were determined in August 1997 (this was a year prior to the Memorandum of Agreement and the
Article 54 accommodation in 1998). Finally, the case manager asked if Canada Post had “on record” anything different and asked if Mr. Russell was self- accommodated or had been accommodated under
Article 54. [ 39 ] In connection with Morneau Shepell’s plan to conduct a PPD assessment, Mr. Russell’s supervisor wrote to him on June 29, 2012. The letter says that, by agreement, the PPD assessment would be postponed, because he was self-accommodated, but, if his assignment were to change, a PPD assessment would occur. Mr. Russell disagreed with any assertion that he had self- accommodated and had not been accommodated pursuant to
Article 54 of the collective agreement. [ 40 ] Despite the initial decision to postpone the PPD assessment, shortly thereafter Morneau Shepell took steps to conduct a PPD assessment of Mr. Russell. In his discussions with the Morneau Shepell case manager, Mr. Russell raised the issue of the planned phase-out of the right hand drive vehicles and his concerns about how it could affect him. [ 41 ] The Morneau Shepell case notes respecting Mr. Russell from August 29, 2012, indicate: “Damage from twisting of back and neck. EE lost consciousness, customer called ambulance. 2 year rehab process.
Cannot carry mailbag over his neck. Work was facilitated by vehicle. Doctor passed away and so they are on a waiting list for a new doctor and have been for 18 months. 23rd – Feb – 1994 declared PPD at that time. Requested and was accommodated under
Article 54. Done his job for 20 years + without anytime missed. Cannot get in and out of bucket seats of the other vehicles. Immediate concern removing the right hand drive vehicles. It was part of his agreement to have Right hand drive vehicle. 42 years seniority. May need FCE but need to get clearance for it first from a doctor. Will discuss with RPM. Tasks set for follow-up”. [ 42 ] Morneau Shepell asked Canada Post if Mr. Russell would be provided with another vehicle to use once the right hand drive vehicles were removed. [ 43 ] In an email to Morneau Shepell, Canada Post advised that Mr.
Russell”s self-accommodation would end once the right hand drive vans were removed from the Saint John operations.
[ 44 ] Despite the statements by Canada Post officials, which indicate they understood Mr. Russell to have self- accommodated, it appears the actual status of Mr. Russell’s accommodation, and the 1998 historic basis for it, was unknown. In September, 2012, Canada Post’s Occupational Abilities Coordinator indicated “[…] I haven’t been able to get clarification on the PPD accommodation whether he is self-accommodating or has been accommodated permanently through
article 54”. The Occupational Abilities Coordinator then wrote “I need you to carefully review his file and confirm if you see anything in previous PPD Memos that indicates he requires a Right Hand Drive… currently SAP is only showing a walking restriction and a lift/carry restriction”. The Occupational Abilities Coordinator concluded with “It is my understanding that this employee’s current documented restriction should not impact his abilities to drive a motorized vehicle whether it’d be a step van or any other types of vehicle”. As noted above, the Commission took the position before this Court that the
Article 54 accommodation made in 1998 did not expressly include the use of a right hand drive vehicle. [ 45 ] In October 2012, the Morneau Shepell case manager reported to Canada Post that Mr. Russell had advised he was having some difficulty performing his duties after the right hand drive van was replaced with the left hand drive transit. The case manager also reported that Mr. Russell “had the union involved”. [ 46 ] Mr. Russell’s unchallenged evidence was that he told his supervisors he was having a difficult time, and experiencing pain, delivering mail with the new vehicle. [ 47 ] Mr.
Russell’s last day at work before his scheduled vacation was November 9, 2012. After the meeting with his physician on November 14, 2012, he was put “off work” with the expectation the upcoming PPD would help find a solution to the difficulty he experienced in delivering mail with the new vehicle. [ 48 ] The following week, on November 20, 2012, a new case manager with Morneau Shepell (not the same case manager who had been involved with Mr. Russell’s PPD assessment since June) sent an email to Canada Post, including its Occupational Abilities Coordinator, indicating she was handling the medical management of Mr.
Russell’s recent “absence from work”. She asked for information, including, “[i]f appropriate and recommended, could accommodations be discussed in the context of modified hours and duties”. [ 49 ] Also on November 20, 2012, by letter addressed to “attending physician”, Morneau Shepell advised it had been informed Mr. Russell had “sustained a non-occupational illness or injury that has resulted in an absence from work”. At the hearing before the Appeals Tribunal, the Canada Post representative offered this letter as evidence supportive of its position that Mr.
Russell had been put “off work” for non-occupational reasons. [ 50 ] Notwithstanding this initial letter from Morneau Shepell, it appears Morneau Shepell and Canada Post knew, or would soon know, Mr. Russell was not claiming to be off in relation to a non-occupational injury but rather, he claimed to be off in relation to his 1992 disability and the upcoming PPD assessment. The case manager’s notes from the following day’s conversation with Mr.
Russell (November 21, 2012) record that “EE stated he is not absent due to illness”; “EE stated he is off in relation[s] to this PPD claim” and “EE stated his doctor has advised him to remain off work until his assessment in January”. Finally, the notes indicate that the case manager will follow up with the case manager who had been involved with the PPD assessment since June. [ 51 ] In December 2012, the case manager who had the prior and ongoing responsibility for Mr. Russell’s PPD assessment advised she had been assigned the additional responsibility of Mr. Russell’s recent “absence from work” file.
This case manager also acknowledged Mr. Russell was off work because of his prior injury and the difficulty he was having with the change of vehicles. [ 52 ] In a letter to Mr. Russell from Morneau Shepell dated March 22, 2013, it advises “the medical information received to date supports your absence under the Disability Management program” and “[y]our absence has been supported from November 19, 2012 to February 17, 2013 inclusive. At this time we have not determined an expected return to work date”. The period referred to is the three months during which Mr. Russell received short-term disability benefits.
At the Appeals Tribunal hearing, Canada Post referred to this letter (in addition to the November 20, 2012 letter) as confirmation Mr. Russell had been put “off work” for a “non- occupational” illness or injury. That is not stated in this letter. [ 53 ] In
summary, while Canada Post may have initially understood Mr. Russell had been put “off work” in November 2012 for non-occupational reasons, the record does not support such a position. Further, Mr. Russell’s explanation as to why he did not claim worker’s compensation benefits immediately on being “put off” work seems reasonable. At that time, he had been dealing for some months with Canada Post’s disability management provider to
schedule a PPD assessment of the very injury that caused him to be off work and is the subject of this claim. His stated belief that the circumstances of his being “off work”, and that the PPD
assessment was expected to assist in his return, were known to Canada Post, is consistent with the record. [ 54 ] More importantly, it is my view that the majority did not erroneously accept or draw an inference from Canada Post’s submissions relating to Mr. Russell being put “off work” for non-occupational reasons. However, even if they had, for the reasons that follow, such an error would not be an overriding error of fact that adversely affected the outcome of the decision. D.
Cause of Time Lost from Work [ 55 ] The majority decision characterized the issue before it as an appeal of the Commission’s decision to deny Mr. Russell’s request “to have his time lost from work covered as a ‘recurrence’”. It sought to determine if Mr. Russell’s loss of income was attributable to or caused by a recurrence of his 1992 injury. [ 56 ] Both parties agree that s. 38.2(1.1) of the Workers’ Compensation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. W-13 is applicable. It provides: 38.2
(1.1) Where a worker is injured or suffers a recurrence of an injury on or after January 1, 1993, but before January 1, 1998, the compensation payable under this Part shall be awarded as set out in this section. 38.2
(1.1) Lorsqu’un travailleur subit une lésion ou qu’une lésion réapparaît à compter du 1 er janvier 1993, mais avant le 1 er janvier 1998, l’indemnité payable en application de la présente
partie lui est accordée selon les dispositions du présent article. [ 57 ] “Recurrence” is not defined in the New Brunswick legislation. The word is not used in the applicable federal legislation, Government Employees Compensation Act . The Federal Act provides that compensation shall be paid to an employee who is caused personal injury by an accident arising in the course of his employment.
The Federal Act also provides that employees are entitled to receive compensation at the same rate and under the same conditions as are provided under the law of the province where the employee is employed. [ 58 ] Commission Policy 21-102 entitled “Conditions for Entitlement – Recurrences”, explains a “recurrence” in the following manner: All new accidents are adjudicated using Policy No. 21-100 Conditions for Entitlement – General Principles. A recurrence of an injury, however, is not a new accident. It is a medical condition that is directly related to or compatible with the original compensable injury .
As such, where and when the recurrence occurs is not a factor in determining entitlement to benefits. “Recurrence” is defined in the policy as: [T]he return or reactivation of the original compensable injury except where the return or reactivation arises from the new accident. [ 59 ] The Commission’s policy provides that, in assessing a “recurrence”, the Commission considers whether there has been a change in the medical condition of the employee since the original compensable injury.
As the policy points out, where a claim is accepted as a “recurrence” of an earlier compensable injury, the costs of compensation are charged to the original accident employer. [ 60 ] To be successful, Mr. Russell had to satisfy the Appeals Tribunal that there had been a “recurrence” of his 1992 injury and, if so, that it caused him to lose time from work. [ 61 ] Neither the majority nor the minority decisions of the Appeals Tribunal address these issues separately.
[ 62 ] Also, the majority decision gives rise to an impression that Mr. Russell’s appeal may have been dismissed because the medical evidence was inadequate and/or it did not support a finding that his 1992 injuries were related to his current difficulty. This is because the reasons state there was “no objective medical evidence” that Mr. Russell’s injuries had “changed”. This language appears to mirror that used in the Commission’s policy and is similar to the language used in the Commission’s July 2013 letter rejecting Mr. Russell’s claim.
This language serves to mask, rather than explain, the actual analysis and reasons for why Mr. Russell’s appeal was dismissed. [ 63 ] Despite these difficulties, a review of the decision in its entirety, and in the context of the full record before the Appeals Tribunal, reveals the path followed by the majority in deciding to dismiss Mr. Russell’s appeal. [ 64 ] It is my opinion that the majority was not persuaded that Mr. Russell’s ongoing loss of time from work, with the resulting loss of earnings, was caused by his 1992 injuries, whether a continuation or a “recurrence”. Rather, the majority concluded that Mr.
Russell, by his own admission, was capable of working and it was the actions of either, or both of, Mr. Russell and Canada Post that impaired his return to work. Without evidence of Mr. Russell formally seeking a position that accommodated his work restriction or that he was unable to secure another position at Canada Post, at a minimum, his claim was premature. [ 65 ] In his written submission, Mr.
Russell identifies the issue on appeal as: “[w]hether the Appeals Tribunal erred in law in failing to appreciate the significance that the Respondent’s medical advisor and the Appellant’s position with respect to whether or not there was a recurrence of an accident related injury were in actual consensus at the time of the Appeals Tribunal hearing”. Mr. Russell’s written submission also argues that the determination of whether a “recurrence” exists is “practically exclusively in the domain of medical evidence”. [ 66 ] Mr.
Russell is correct in his assessment of the importance of the medical evidence to the determination of whether his medical condition, in November 2012, was related to or compatible with his 1992 injury. However, this alone is not sufficient to determine entitlement to compensation from the Commission. In all claims to have time lost from work covered by the Commission, regardless of whether there is a new compensable injury or a recurrence of an earlier injury, it is necessary that the condition be disabling or have caused the time lost from work. [ 67 ] Mr.
Russell is also correct that there was considerable consensus in the medical evidence respecting his claim that the pain and difficulties he experienced were compatible with his prior workplace injury. There was no real dispute that the pain he suffered was related to his 1992 injury. Nor was there any meaningful dispute regarding Mr. Russell’s claim that the “flare up” of his 1992 injury, and the related pain, was the result of his delivering mail with the new vehicle.
While there was some disagreement between the parties regarding the conclusions to be drawn from the medical evidence in relation to the limits of Mr. Russell’s ability to work, this was not determinative. [ 68 ] The focus of the Appeals Tribunal was on the issue of whether Mr. Russell’s condition disabled him and caused him to lose time from work. When read in context of the record before the Appeals Tribunal, this is addressed directly by the majority decision. Based on the evidence, including the medical evidence and the submissions made at the hearing, the majority was not persuaded Mr.
Russell’s condition prevented him from working. As a result, the majority dismissed his appeal. [ 69 ] It is not surprising the majority focused on the issue of whether Mr. Russell’s condition was the reason he was not working. Mr. Russell argued strongly before the Appeals Tribunal that his problems originated with the “change in equipment”. Mr. Russell acknowledged that his 1992 injuries had not changed or worsened, other than when he was required to deliver mail without the right hand drive vehicle - requiring him to work in a manner that was beyond his physical limitations. As Mr.
Russell’s counsel submitted to the Appeals Tribunal: “I am going to ask that you make a finding that it’s a recurrence occasioned by the equipment change because it is”. Frankly, Mr. Russell’s submission that his problem originates with the change in vehicles quite accurately summarizes the record before the Appeals Tribunal. [ 70 ] Also, consistent with Mr.
Russell’s submission that the loss of the use of the right hand drive vehicle caused his predicament, he plainly stated, in response to questions from members of the Appeals Tribunal, he could and would return to work immediately, if he had the opportunity to do so using a right hand drive vehicle – or, if his work restriction were otherwise accommodated. [ 71 ] This acknowledgement, that he could and would have resumed employment at any time had he been
accommodated , was candidly made by Mr. Russell notwithstanding that he had claimed and received long-term disability benefits since the spring of 2013 (albeit retroactively), based on depression, anxiety and insomnia. There was evidence that this condition was secondary to his being unable to return to work, and the minority decision concluded that it was related to his work place injury; however, there was no such finding by the majority. [ 72 ] In addition to it being clear that Mr. Russell was willing to go back to work immediately, it was the evidence of a witness called by Mr.
Russell (a current Vice-President of the Union executive) that the use of right hand drive vans had not been discontinued entirely by Canada Post; he said they continued to be used in rural areas around Saint John. Also, his evidence was that Canada Post had positions that were often used to accommodate postal workers who suffered injuries that prevented them from working in other capacities; the example he gave were positions relating to “business reply mail”. He also stated that, based on his understanding of Mr. Russell’s limitations, he felt Mr.
Russell’s could be accommodated with such a position. [ 73 ] Contrary to the submission of Mr. Russell on appeal, the decision of the Appeals Tribunal did not reject or misapprehend the medical evidence that had been presented. [ 74 ] When reviewed in the context of the record, it is my opinion the majority concluded that Mr. Russell could and would gladly have resumed work at Canada Post – either in his old position, using a right hand drive van, or any other position that would have accommodated his limitations – and thus, his time lost from work was not caused by a recurrence.
It is my conclusion that this is a reasonable decision on the record and, in the absence of reversible error, the appeal ought to be dismissed. V. Disposition [ 75 ] For these reasons I would dismiss the appeal. I would not make any award of costs. ___________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH, J.A. WE CONCUR: ___________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. ___________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] Glendon Russell a subi une blessure grave, en 1992, lorsqu’une véranda a cédé sous lui pendant qu’il livrait du courrier à
titre d’employé de Postes Canada. À partir de 1998, à tout le moins, M. Russell a fait l’objet de mesures d’adaptation régulières relativement aux restrictions de travail qui ont résulté de cet accident, mesures qui ont consisté à lui permettre de livrer le courrier en utilisant une fourgonnette avec conduite à droite. En octobre 2012, toutefois, Postes Canada a remplacé cette fourgonnette par un fourgon Ford Transit avec conduite à gauche. M.
Russell a prétendu que ce changement de véhicules a causé une recrudescence des lésions qu’il a subies en 1992 et a effectivement mis fin aux mesures d’adaptation prises par Postes Canada relativement à ses restrictions de travail. [2] En novembre 2012, la médecin de M. Russell l’a mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » jusqu’à ce qu’une évaluation, déjà prévue, de son incapacité partielle soit effectuée.
Postes Canada avait pris des dispositions en vue de cette évaluation, qui devait avoir lieu en janvier 2013, par l’intermédiaire de ses fournisseurs de services de gestion de l’invalidité, la Great West et Morneau Shepell, dans le cadre d’un programme permanent d’évaluation des employés atteints d’incapacité partielle. À la suite de cette évaluation, les restrictions de travail de M. Russell ont été confirmées; toutefois, il n’a pas repris ses fonctions à Postes Canada et il n’a pas travaillé depuis. [3] En mai 2013, soit presque six mois après avoir été mis en congé, M.
Russell a déposé une demande à la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail afin d’être indemnisé de la perte de temps de travail qu’il a subie (depuis novembre 2012) parce que celle-ci était liée à une réapparition de la lésion subie au travail en 1992. Postes Canada a contesté la demande de M. Russell et a informé la Commission qu’au moment où la médecin de M. Russell l’avait mis en congé, six mois plus tôt, c’était [TRADUCTION] « en raison d’une affection non professionnelle ». [4] En juillet 2013, la Commission a rejeté la demande de M. Russell.
L’appel qu’il a interjeté devant le Tribunal d’appel a été rejeté. Il interjette appel de cette décision devant notre Cour. [5] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel de M. Russell. Le dossier dont le Tribunal d’appel était saisi n’appuie pas la prétention de Postes Canada selon laquelle M. Russell a été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » en raison d’une affection non professionnelle; le dossier est clair, son médecin l’a mis en congé parce qu’il se plaignait de douleurs accrues à la suite du changement de véhicules. Toutefois, le Tribunal a conclu à la majorité que M.
Russell n’avait pas établi que la blessure subie en 1992 l’a rendu invalide ou l’a obligé à s’absenter du travail. M. Russell ne m’a pas convaincu que cette décision est erronée. Essentiellement, il était raisonnable de la part du Tribunal d’appel de conclure que M. Russell n’a pas établi qu’une réapparition des lésions qu’il a subies en 1992 a causé la perte de temps de travail ainsi que la perte de revenus qui en a découlé, après novembre 2012. II. Le contexte [6] M. Russell est employé de Postes Canada depuis 1971.
Il a été reconnu que la blessure subie lorsque la véranda d’une maison a cédé sous lui, en 1992, est survenue du fait de son emploi. La
Loi sur l’indemnisation des agents de l’État , L.R.C. (1985), ch. G-5, s’appliquait et sa demande d’indemnisation a été administrée par la Commission. [7] M. Russell a subi une entorse chronique du muscle péri-scapulaire et il a reçu un diagnostic de douleurs myofasciales chroniques. Pour les fins de son emploi, Postes Canada a jugé que M. Russell était atteint d’une incapacité partielle permanente. [8] À la suite d’une longue période de rétablissement et après avoir réintégré les effectifs à temps plein, M.
Russell a obtenu un itinéraire qui lui permettait de livrer le courrier en utilisant une fourgonnette avec conduite à droite. Au cours des quatorze années qui ont suivi, M. Russell s’est acquitté de ses fonctions sans signaler quelque problème que ce soit qui aurait eu un rapport avec la blessure qu’il a subie en 1992. La situation a changé en octobre 2012 après que Postes Canada a remplacé la fourgonnette avec conduite à droite par le fourgon Ford Transit avec conduite à gauche.
[9] Selon une des prétentions formulées par Postes Canada (devant le Tribunal d’appel) et par la Commission (dans le présent appel), aucune mesure d’adaptation [TRADUCTION] « officielle » n’a été prise relativement à l’incapacité partielle permanente de M. Russell conformément à l’article 54 de la Convention collective de la Société canadienne des postes. L’article 54 prévoit un processus au moyen duquel un employé atteint d’une incapacité partielle par suite d’une lésion subie au travail peut demander que des mesures d’adaptation soient prises.
Cette prétention ne trouve pas appui dans le dossier. [10] Pour les fins de sa réadaptation, M. Russell a essayé d’invoquer son ancienneté pour être affecté à un itinéraire qu’il était physiquement en mesure d’effectuer. Postes Canada a travaillé étroitement avec M. Russell à cet égard. Le dossier indique que la mesure d’adaptation initiale consistant dans l’utilisation d’une fourgonnette a pris fin lorsqu’on lui a retiré l’itinéraire en question après qu’un autre employé ayant plus d’ancienneté a revendiqué le droit d’être affecté à l’itinéraire de M. Russell.
Il a déposé un grief et un protocole d’entente, daté de mars 1998, a été signé. Dans ce protocole d’entente, Postes Canada [TRADUCTION] « reconnaît avoir retiré à M. Russell un poste de réadaptation (l’itinéraire n o 69) sans respecter les dispositions de l’article 54 de la Convention collective ». Quelques mois plus tard, à la suite d’une lettre de M.
Russell dans laquelle il sollicitait des mesures d’adaptation précises (ainsi qu’une rencontre entre le syndicat et la direction, qui a eu lieu en août 1998), Postes Canada a signé une attestation confirmant qu’elle accédait à la demande du syndicat et acceptait [TRADUCTION] d’« affecter [M.
Russell] à l’itinéraire n o 62, en vertu de l’article 54, étant donné la recommandation de son médecin ». [11] En appel devant notre Cour, la Commission souligne que ni le protocole d’entente ni l’attestation ne font expressément mention du fait qu’une mesure d’adaptation consistant dans l’utilisation d’une fourgonnette ou d’un fourgon avec conduite à droite aurait été accordée à M. Russell. Toutefois, les deux documents font clairement mention de mesures d’adaptation prévues à l’article 54 et le dossier déposé devant le Tribunal d’appel établissait que depuis lors, M.
Russell avait, de façon constante, travaillé avec une fourgonnette. Le dossier indiquait également qu’il était notoire que les mesures d’adaptation dont bénéficiait M. Russell comprenaient l’utilisation d’un véhicule avec conduite à droite. Rien de tout cela n’a été contesté. [12] Compte tenu de ce dossier, il est difficile de comprendre les raisons pour lesquelles Postes Canada et la Commission affirment qu’aucune mesure d’adaptation n’a été accordée à M. Russell en vertu de l’article 54 et qu’il avait apporté ses propres aménagements. Cette distinction n’est pas pertinente pour ce qui concerne la demande de M.
Russell en vue d’obtenir des indemnités pour accident du travail. [13] M. Russell a prétendu que l’utilisation du Ford Transit aggravait la douleur que lui causait la blessure qu’il a subie en 1992 – au haut du dos et au cou.
Selon le témoignage qu’il a rendu devant le Tribunal d’appel, bien qu’il ait trouvé difficile de travailler avec le nouveau véhicule, il arrivait à terminer son itinéraire, malgré le fait que cela lui prenait plus de temps; toutefois, après que Postes Canada a installé un bac contentant le courrier à l’endroit où se trouve le siège du passager, à l’avant du Ford Transit, le travail est devenu beaucoup plus difficile.
Cette nouvelle configuration l’obligeait, pendant la journée, à lever le bras au-dessus de l’épaule, fréquemment et de façon répétitive, ce qui lui causait des douleurs accrues et rendait la tâche trop difficile. La preuve produite devant le Tribunal d’appel a établi qu’à plus d’une reprise, M. Russell a informé ses superviseurs de ces difficultés. [14] Après avoir utilisé le nouveau véhicule pendant environ un mois, M.
Russell a pris des vacances, qui étaient déjà prévues, pendant la semaine du 12 novembre 2012. [15] Par pure coïncidence, après avoir attendu pendant plus de deux ans pour un nouveau médecin de famille (à la suite du décès de son médecin), un rendez-vous initial avec sa nouvelle médecin a eu lieu, pendant ses vacances, le 14 novembre 2012. Lors de ce premier rendez-vous, M. Russell a expliqué les difficultés et les douleurs qu’il éprouvait par suite du changement de véhicules au travail. M.
Russell a également expliqué qu’en janvier 2013, il devait subir une évaluation de son incapacité partielle permanente (« IPP »), relativement aux lésions qui ont résulté de l’accident subi en 1992. Cette évaluation avait été précédemment organisée par les fournisseurs de services de gestion de l’invalidité de Postes Canada, la Great West et Morneau Shepell. Celle-ci avait pour but d’évaluer la nature de l’incapacité partielle permanente de M. Russell et si les mesures d’adaptation prises à son endroit au travail étaient adéquates.
Sa médecin l’a mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » jusqu’à ce que cette évaluation puisse être effectuée. [16] M. Russell a informé Postes Canada que sa médecin l’avait mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » et la Société lui a versé des prestations de maintien du revenu, lesquelles s’apparentent aux prestations d’invalidité ou de maladie de courte durée. C’est au fournisseur de services de gestion de l’invalidité de Postes Canada, Morneau Shepell, qu’il incombait de traiter la demande de M. Russell relative au [TRADUCTION] « congé » de courte durée.
Le traitement de cette demande était séparé de la responsabilité distincte qui incombait à Morneau Shepell en matière d’évaluation permanente des IPP des employés de Postes Canada – processus qui avait commencé cinq mois plus tôt, en juin 2012, pour ce qui concernait l’évaluation de l’IPP de M. Russell.
[17] Le dossier montre clairement qu’au moment où M. Russell a été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé », Postes Canada savait que la date de l’évaluation de son incapacité au travail avait été fixée ou devait être fixée bientôt; il devait subir une évaluation de son IPP. L’élément clef de l’évaluation de l’IPP organisée par Morneau Shepell était une évaluation des capacités fonctionnelles. Avant que cette évaluation, d’une durée de deux jours, puisse avoir lieu, toutefois, Morneau Shepell a exigé qu’un médecin approuve ou [TRADUCTION] « autorise » la participation de M. Russell.
Habituellement, cette autorisation est donnée par le médecin de famille de l’employé, mais M. Russell n’avait pas de médecin de famille au moment où Morneau Shepell a essayé, la première fois, de fixer la date de l’évaluation. Pour accélérer la tenue de l’évaluation de l’IPP, en octobre 2012, Morneau Shepell a sollicité et obtenu le consentement de Postes Canada à ce que M. Russell subisse un examen médical indépendant (et à ce qu’elle paye cet examen), au lieu d’obtenir l’approbation d’un médecin de famille. [18] Le dossier montre clairement, également, que M.
Russell avait informé Morneau Shepell, en novembre 2012, dans les jours qui ont suivi le rendez-vous avec sa médecin, qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « en congé » en raison des difficultés qu’il éprouvait au travail à la suite du changement de véhicules. Postes Canada savait ou aurait dû savoir, du moins au moment où elle a contesté la demande d’indemnisation de M.
Russell en mai 2013 (et certainement au moment de l’audience devant le Tribunal d’appel en janvier 2015), qu’il n’avait pas été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » en raison d’une affection non professionnelle. [19] L’examen médical indépendant a eu lieu le 4 janvier 2013 et l’évaluation des capacités fonctionnelles, les 31 janvier et 1 er février 2013. Les rapports de l’examen médical indépendant et de l’évaluation des capacités fonctionnelles ont été déposés devant le Tribunal d’appel. [20] À la fin de février 2013, les prestations d’invalidité de courte durée que Postes Canada versait à M. Russell se sont épuisées.
On lui a suggéré de présenter une demande en vue d’obtenir des prestations d’invalidité de longue durée, ce qu’il a fait. Les prestations d’invalidité de longue durée n’étaient pas versées ou administrées par l’intermédiaire de la Great West et de Morneau Shepell. L’assureur de l’invalidité de longue durée était la Sun Life. M. Russell a témoigné devant le Tribunal d’appel que sa demande pour invalidité de longue durée était fondée sur la dépression, l’anxiété et l’insomnie.
Certains éléments de preuve ont également établi que la dépression était liée à son incapacité à reprendre son travail à Postes Canada où il avait travaillé pendant environ quarante ans. Dans sa dissidence, la membre minoritaire du Tribunal d’appel a tenu cela pour un fait. La majorité n’a pas tiré de conclusion semblable. [21] La demande de M. Russell en vue d’obtenir des prestations d’invalidité de longue durée a tout d’abord été rejetée.
Presque deux ans plus tard, un peu avant l’audience devant le Tribunal d’appel qui a eu lieu en janvier 2015, sa demande a été accueillie. [22] N’ayant aucun revenu, en mai 2013, M. Russell avait présenté une demande en vue d’obtenir des indemnités pour accident du travail. [23] Postes Canada a prétendu, et a informé la Commission, que M. Russell avait été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » par sa médecin en novembre 2012 en raison d’une [TRADUCTION] « affection non professionnelle ».
Cette position a plus tard été exposée dans une lettre datée du 7 juin 2013 que le coordonnateur des limitations fonctionnelles au travail pour le N.-B. et l’Î.-P.-É., de Postes Canada, a fait parvenir à la Commission. Les prétentions formulées dans cette lettre reflétaient elles aussi la position qu’a adoptée Postes Canada devant le Tribunal d’appel en janvier 2015. Cette lettre est rédigée ainsi : [TRADUCTION] Soyez avisé que l’employeur entend contester l’acceptation de ce rapport sur la blessure subie.
Nous ne sommes pas d’avis que cette demande devrait être acceptée conformément à la politique 21-011, ainsi qu’au paragraphe 4(1) de la
Loi sur l’indemnisation des agents de l’État fédérale, parce que nous estimons que l’incident qui fait l’objet du rapport ne devrait pas donner droit à des indemnités pour perte de temps de travail . D’après les renseignements versés au dossier, le travailleur a été mis en congé par une médecin en date du 19 novembre 2012, jusqu’à ce jour, en raison d’une affection non professionnelle . Le 13 mai 2013, l’employé est allé voir son superviseur et lui a dit qu’il voulait que son absence du travail soit considérée comme étant une absence pour lésion professionnelle plutôt que pour lésion non professionnelle.
L’employé n’a pas signalé d’incident précis à l’employeur, de sorte que l’employeur ne croit pas que la blessure soit « survenu[e] par le fait et à l’occasion de [son] travail ». L’employeur ne croit pas que l’accident s’est produit au travail non plus qu’il a été causé par le travail . D’après les renseignements fournis sur le formulaire 10, rempli en date du 14 novembre 2012, il n’y a aucune preuve qui donne à penser que cet incident est lié au travail .
À la lumière de ce qui précède, nous voulons nous opposer officiellement au versement d’indemnités pour perte de temps de travail dont il est fait état dans la demande susmentionnée. De plus, l’employeur demande qu’une
analyse des risques soit effectuée avant qu’une décision ne soit rendue sur la demande. Lorsque vous trancherez cette demande, nous vous prions de prendre en considération la politique 21-011 ainsi que le paragraphe 4(1) de la
Loi sur l’indemnisation des agents de l’État puisqu’il y est question du critère qui régit le droit à l’indemnisation. Compte tenu de ce qui précède, nous n’avons pas le sentiment que le rapport sur la blessure subie satisfait aux conditions énoncées dans la
Loi sur l’indemnisation des agents de l’État et nous estimons qu’il devrait être rejeté. [24] Le [TRADUCTION] « formulaire 10 » dont il est question dans cette lettre est un formulaire de la Commission qui a été rempli par la médecin de M. Russell relativement au rendez-vous qu’elle a eu avec lui le 14 novembre 2012. Elle a écrit ce qui suit sur ce formulaire : [TRADUCTION] « Syndrome de douleur myofasciale.
Réapparition des symptômes après un changement d’équipement (camionnette avec conduite à droite) à la fin de septembre 2012 ». [25] Dans son mémoire au Tribunal d’appel, Postes Canada (et dans son mémoire à notre Cour, la Commission) souligne que le formulaire 10 est daté de mai 2013 et ne porte pas la date du rendez-vous qui a eu lieu en novembre 2012 – et en déduit que cela appuie l’assertion selon laquelle la médecin de M. Russell ne l’a pas mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » pour des raisons liées à son emploi.
Le Tribunal d’appel n’a tiré aucune conclusion de cette nature et, comme nous l’expliquerons plus en détail ci-dessous, le dossier n’appuie pas la prétention voulant que M. Russell ait été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » pour une affection non professionnelle. [26] La Commission a rejeté la demande d’indemnisation de M. Russell pour perte de temps de travail depuis novembre 2012. La lettre datée du 17 juillet 2013 que l’adjudicateur a fait parvenir à M. Russell expose les motifs du rejet.
Cette lettre est ainsi rédigée : [TRADUCTION] Une nouvelle formule 67 (Rapport d’accident) ainsi que des rapports médicaux ont été reçus relativement à votre demande. Vous avez dit à votre employeur, le 10 mai 2013, que vous deviez remplir une formule 67 concernant votre absence du travail depuis le 19 novembre 2012 jusqu’à aujourd’hui. Vous aviez déclaré qu’il y avait réapparition d’une lésion subie le 31 mars 1992. Vous avez dit que votre absence du travail était imputable à des douleurs au haut du dos et au cou.
L’employeur déclare que vous ne vous étiez pas plaint de douleurs ou de malaises persistants et que cet incident récent ne ressortit à aucun incident précis lié au travail . Vous avez dit à votre employeur que vous n’avez éprouvé aucune difficulté à vous acquitter des fonctions de votre poste jusqu’aux environs du 1 er octobre 2012, date à laquelle votre véhicule, dont la conduite était à droite, a été changé pour un Ford Transit. Les billets médicaux que votre employeur a reçus pendant cette période indiquaient que vous étiez absent pour raisons médicales, mais ils ne donnaient aucune précision .
Un conseiller médical de Travail sécuritaire NB a examiné votre dossier et bien que les symptômes que vous éprouvez soient les mêmes qu’auparavant (en 1992), il n’existe aucune preuve médicale objective qui montre qu’il y aurait eu un changement important de votre état et vos symptômes n’entraînent pas une incapacité. Les symptômes consistant en des douleurs au haut du dos et à la ceinture thoracique, sans la présence d’une pathologie sous-jacente ou de dommages aux tissus, sont les mêmes qu’auparavant. Ils ne justifient pas une incapacité de travail.
Il n’existe aucune preuve médicale établissant que vos symptômes se sont aggravés . Par conséquent, la demande que vous avez présentée à Travail sécuritaire NB afin d’être indemnisé de la perte de temps de travail que vous avez subie parce qu’il s’agirait d’une « réapparition » de la lésion est rejetée . [Le souligné et le gras sont de moi.] [27] Bien que la Commission souligne que Postes Canada avait signalé que M. Russell ne s’était plaint d’aucune douleur ni d’aucun malaise, la preuve incontestée déposée devant le Tribunal d’appel a établi que M.
Russell avait effectivement mentionné à son superviseur la difficulté qu’il éprouvait à livrer le courrier en utilisant le nouveau véhicule. [28] M. Russell a interjeté appel de la décision de la Commission et une audience devant le Tribunal d’appel a eu lieu le 21 janvier 2015. Postes Canada a contesté l’appel de M. Russell et elle a été représentée à l’audience. [29] Le Tribunal d’appel était divisé. La majorité a rejeté son appel. III. Questions soulevées en appel
[30] Les moyens d’appel de M.
Russell sont que le Tribunal d’appel : a. a commis une erreur de droit en substituant sa propre opinion à l’opinion médicale consensuelle de la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et de l’appelant; b. n’a pas compris la nature et l’importance d’éléments de preuve importants ou n’en a pas tenu compte; c. a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante en imposant une norme de preuve à laquelle on ne pouvait pas satisfaire en l’espèce, et il s’en est suivi qu’il s’est posé la mauvaise question et a ainsi perdu toute compétence; d. a tiré des conclusions de fait qui ne trouvaient aucun appui dans la preuve.
IV. Analyse A. Norme de contrôle [31] Dans l’arrêt Williams c. Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail , 2013 NBCA 32 , 405 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 52 , le juge d’appel Green a récemment dit ce qui suit en ce qui concerne la norme de contrôle : Comme point de départ, il convient d’établir la norme de contrôle applicable aux appels interjetés des décisions du Tribunal, tel qu’énoncé par le juge d’appel Robertson, au nom de la Cour, dans l’arrêt City of Saint John c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail du Nouveau-Brunswick et Rowe , 2008 NBCA 83 , 338 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 213 : Je vais commencer mon analyse par un bref examen des principes pertinents qui régissent la norme de contrôle applicable aux décisions du Tribunal d’appel. Dans le but de statuer sur le présent appel, l’importance de la décision récente que la Cour suprême a rendue dans l’affaire Dunsmuir c.
Nouveau-Brunswick , [2008] A.C.S. n o 9 (QL) , 2008 CSC 9 , peut être ramenée au fait qu’il n’y a que deux normes de contrôle : la norme de la décision correcte et la norme de la raisonnabilité. La troisième norme de contrôle, soit la norme de la décision manifestement déraisonnable, a été éliminée et par conséquent, c’est la norme de la raisonnabilité qui doit s’appliquer dans les cas qui commandent une déférence. Ayant appliqué l’arrêt Dunsmuir , notre Cour a une jurisprudence qui est conforme au cadre général suivant.
Lorsqu’il s’agit de pures questions de droit ou de compétence, les décisions des tribunaux d’appel ne commandent aucune déférence, de sorte que la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision correcte. S’agissant d’allégations de manquements au devoir d’agir équitablement, la règle générale est que la décision de tribunal ne commande aucune déférence. La norme de contrôle relative aux questions de fait demeure celle de l’erreur « manifeste et dominante ». Cette norme s’applique tout autant aux conclusions en matière de crédibilité.
Les questions mixtes de fait et de droit commandent une déférence en appliquant la norme de raisonnabilité. Selon moi, le Tribunal d’appel n’a ni manqué à son devoir d’agir équitablement, ni commis une erreur manifeste et dominante en statuant comme il l’a fait. […] Par souci de clarté, je fais l’observation suivante. Il n’y a effectivement aucune différence fondamentale entre la norme de contrôle « manifeste et dominante » et la norme de la raisonnabilité.
Bien que notre Cour emploie un de ces termes lorsqu’on lui demande d’analyser une question de fait et l’autre lorsqu’on lui demande d’analyser une question mixte de fait et de droit, la distinction peut être qualifiée à juste
titre de minime. Pour clarifier les choses davantage, j’ajouterais ceci : le critère de l’erreur manifeste et dominante s’applique à la fois aux questions de fait et aux questions mixtes de fait et de droit. Voir l’analyse approfondie que l’on trouve à ce propos dans l’arrêt Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 23 5 . Une erreur qui est manifeste et dominante est, par définition, déraisonnable. [par. 7] Voir aussi l’arrêt VSL Canada Ltée c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et Duguay et autres , 2011 NBCA 76 , 376 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 292 , pour un examen exhaustif de la jurisprudence pertinente ainsi qu’une explication du lien entre les dispositions législatives clefs et la norme de contrôle applicable.
B. La décision [32] Tant la décision de la majorité que la décision de la minorité font un résumé tout à fait complet de la preuve et des différentes observations qui ont été présentées devant le Tribunal d’appel. Elles prennent toutes deux fin, toutefois, sur un court résumé des conclusions et un dispositif. Les conclusions de la majorité sont les suivantes : [TRADUCTION] Après avoir apprécié les renseignements présentés, le Comité d’appel a décidé de rejeter le présent appel. L’appelant est atteint de douleurs myofasciales.
Il s’agit d’une affection chronique qui est présente depuis l’accident du travail qu’il a subi en 1992 [page 407 du dossier d’appel]. Le 10 novembre 2012, l’appelant a pris des vacances qui étaient déjà prévues. Par pure coïncidence, pendant qu’il était en vacances, l’appelant devait rencontrer sa nouvelle médecin de famille pour la première fois. L’appelant a présenté un billet de la médecin indiquant qu’il serait absent du travail pour des motifs d’ordre médical du 19 novembre 2012 au 10 janvier 2013.
Cela est confirmé par une note de service du fournisseur de services de gestion de l’invalidité datée du 22 mars 2013 [page 646 du dossier d’appel]. Le 4 janvier 2013, l’appelant s’est présenté au rendez-vous qu’il avait avec le D r Pike en vue d’un examen médical indépendant ayant pour objet de mettre à jour les dossiers de la société d’assurance [pages 402 à 409 du dossier d’appel]. En fait, le D r Pike a dit, dans son rapport d’évaluation, que les symptômes actuels de l’appelant étaient les suivants : [TRADUCTION] [D]ouleurs au milieu du dos, au niveau thoracique, qui irradient dans les omoplates.
Il dit de la douleur qu’il s’agit d’une sensation d’oppression, d’une douleur continue. Il dit qu’elle est toujours présente, mais qu’il a des bonnes journées et des mauvaises journées. Il dit que des activités comme des mouvements de torsion ou le fait de lever le bras au-dessus de l’épaule accroissent ses douleurs et qu’un traitement par la chaleur, surtout la chaleur humide, semble atténuer ses symptômes. … [ sic ] [page 328 du dossier d’appel.] Le résultat de l’examen médical indépendant a montré qu’il pouvait prendre part à une évaluation des capacités fonctionnelles.
L’évaluation des capacités fonctionnelles a eu lieu les 31 janvier et 1 er février 2013 et lors de cette évaluation, il a montré qu’il avait la capacité d’accomplir, au travail, des tâches générales et qu’il satisfaisait entièrement aux exigences d’un travail sédentaire, proche du niveau d’effort physique léger [pages 440 à 457 du dossier d’appel]. En février 2013, l’appelant a présenté une demande en vue d’obtenir des prestations d’invalidité de longue durée [page 693 du dossier d’appel] et a témoigné que la raison en était qu’il souffrait de dépression et d’anxiété.
Le 14 mai 2013, l’appelant a rempli une formule 67 dans laquelle il faisait état de la réapparition de la lésion subie en 1992 [page 333 du dossier d’appel]. L’appelant a pris un congé de maladie de six mois au cours duquel il a touché des prestations d’invalidité de courte durée et il a finalement présenté une demande en vue d’obtenir des prestations d’invalidité de longue durée avant de prétendre qu’il s’agissait de la réapparition d’une lésion. Pendant son témoignage, l’appelant a dit que si on lui redonnait son ancien véhicule dont la conduite était à droite, il pourrait commencer à travailler sur-le-champ.
L’appelant est atteint de douleurs myofasciales chroniques et bien qu’il ait pu s’agir d’une recrudescence, il a dit au D r Pike le 4 janvier 2013 [TRADUCTION] qu’« elle [la douleur] est toujours présente, mais il a des bonnes journées et des mauvaises journées » [page 328 du dossier d’appel]. Le comité d’appel n’a trouvé aucune preuve médicale objective qui montre que les fonctions corporelles qui sont actuellement touchées ne seraient pas les mêmes qu’au moment de la lésion indemnisable initiale. C. Les prétentions relatives au fait que M.
Russell a été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » et son retard à présenter une demande d’indemnisation [33] Postes Canada (pendant toute la durée de sa participation à l’affaire) et la Commission (dans le présent appel) ont toutes deux prétendu que M. Russell a été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé », en novembre 2012, pour des raisons non professionnelles. De plus, on invoque le fait que M. Russell a été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » pendant qu’il était en vacances et que six mois se sont écoulés avant qu’il ne demande des indemnités pour accident du travail pour inférer que la prétention de M.
Russell, selon laquelle il y a eu réapparition des lésions qu’il a subies en 1992, n’est pas crédible. On peut dire la même chose de la proposition selon laquelle le
formulaire 10, que la médecin de M. Russell avait rempli relativement au rendez-vous du 14 novembre 2012, n’a été signé qu’en mai 2013. Ces allégations se rapportent directement à la prétention de M. Russell selon laquelle sa médecin l’a mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » parce que la lésion qu’il a subie en 1992 a été aggravée en raison du fait qu’il livrait le courrier en utilisant le nouveau véhicule. [34] Les motifs de la majorité donnent à première vue l’impression que celle-ci a pu souscrire aux prétentions de Postes Canada.
Si la décision portant rejet de l’appel avait expressément examiné ces prétentions, il ne serait peut-être pas nécessaire de le faire maintenant. Toutefois, les prétentions en question sont préjudiciables à la demande de M. Russell, elles ne trouvent pas appui dans le dossier et leur influence sur la décision du Tribunal d’appel est, peut-on soutenir, pertinente en ce qui concerne l’appel devant notre Cour. Elles doivent être examinées. [35] La position de M.
Russell a toujours été la suivante : Postes Canada a pris, relativement aux restrictions qu’il a subies par suite de l’accident survenu en 1992, des mesures d’adaptation qui ont consisté à lui fournir une fourgonnette avec conduite à droite; il a éprouvé des douleurs et des difficultés à livrer le courrier après que la fourgonnette a été remplacée; il a signalé ces difficultés à son superviseur; et, lorsqu’il a dit à sa médecin qu’il éprouvait ces difficultés et ces douleurs, il a été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » jusqu’à ce que l’évaluation de son IPP soit effectuée – dans l’espoir que cette évaluation contribue à résoudre les problèmes causés par le nouveau véhicule.
Sa position devant le Tribunal d’appel, et devant notre Cour, était également qu’il n’a jamais indiqué qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « en congé » pour une raison non professionnelle, mais plutôt qu’il a toujours indiqué qu’il avait été mis [TRADUCTION] « en congé » en raison de la lésion subie en 1992 et du changement de véhicules au travail – et que l’on espérait que l’évaluation de son IPP, qui était déjà prévue, l’aide à retourner au travail. [36] Le dossier révèle que pendant les mois qui ont précédé la mise [TRADUCTION] « en congé » de M.
Russell, il y a eu une activité considérable et de nombreuses communications de la part de Postes Canada relativement à : (
i) la nature de la mesure d’adaptation prise à l’endroit de M. Russell et consistant dans une fourgonnette avec conduite à droite; (ii) la difficulté qu’il a eue à s’acquitter de ses tâches après que la fourgonnette a été remplacée; et (iii) les circonstances dans lesquelles sa médecin a pris la décision de le mettre [TRADUCTION] « en congé ». [37] Dès 2010, Morneau Shepell, en sa qualité de fournisseur de services de gestion de l’invalidité de Postes Canada, a voulu fa