2016 NBCA 9, 2016 NBCA 9
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 60-15-CA SUSAN AMANDA CAMPBELL APPELLANT SUSAN AMANDA CAMPBELL APPELANTE - and - - et - JAMES EDWARD VAUGHAN RESPONDENT JAMES EDWARD VAUGHAN INTIMÉ Campbell v. Vaughan, 2016 NBCA 9 Campbell c.
Vaughan, 2016 NBCA 9 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 22, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 22 mai 2015 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2015 NBQB 110 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2015 NBBR 110 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: October 20, 2015 Appel entendu : le 20 octobre 2015 Judgment rendered: March 3, 2016 Jugement rendu : le 3 mars 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French
Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Sheila J. Cameron, Q .C. and Nicholas C. L. O’Toole For the respondent: Kenneth W. Martin Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Sheila J. Cameron, c.r. et Nicholas C. L. O’Toole Pour l’intimé : Kenneth W. Martin THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500 payable to the respondent, Mr. Vaughan. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $ payables à l’intimé, M. Vaughan.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Ms. Campbell appeals the dismissal of her motion requesting an increase in spousal support. In December 2012, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench fixed the support payable to Ms. Campbell at $6,500 per month. Since the divorce trial, Mr. Vaughan’s employment income has increased. [ 2 ] The motion judge accepted Ms. Campbell’s assertions that the increase in Mr. Vaughan’s income constituted a change in circumstances and that Ms.
Campbell was entitled to spousal support based on this post-separation increase; however, she also accepted Mr. Vaughan’s request that $20,000 be imputed to Ms. Campbell in connection with her having assets of approximately $500,000 that were not being reasonably utilized to generate income, as contemplated by paragraph 19(1) (
e) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR/97-175 . Ms. Campbell acquired the $500,000 from a division of the parties’ marital property in 2012. These funds are comprised of her share of Mr. Vaughan’s retirement pension from the military, as well as a division of their RRSPs. After considering the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (the “ Guidelines ”) the motion judge concluded the appropriate amount of support continued to be $6,500 per month and dismissed this part of Ms. Campbell’s motion. [ 3 ] Ms.
Campbell’s primary submission on appeal is that the motion judge should not have imputed income to her in connection with equalized marital property while, at the same time, excluding Mr. Vaughan’s military pension from his income for support purposes. Ms. Campbell does not dispute the decision to exclude Mr. Vaughan’s pension from the determination of his income, since it had been divided with her ( relying on Boston v. Boston, 2001 SCC 43 , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 413 ). In fact, at the hearing of the motion, this was Ms. Campbell’s position. However , she asserts that, having decided to exclude Mr.
Vaughan’s pension from his income for support purposes, the motion judge should not have imputed income to her in connection with her share of the same property. Alternatively, she argues that if income is imputed to her, Mr. Vaughan’s pension should be included in his income for spousal support purposes.
II. Background [ 4 ] Mr. Vaughan and Ms. Campbell are both 63. They separated in 2010, after 38 years of marriage. They have two adult children. [ 5 ] When the parties married in 1972, Mr. Vaughan was 20 and had been working in the military for a couple of years. Ms. Campbell was 19. Their first child was born one year into their marriage. As a consequence of Mr. Vaughan’s military career, the family moved nine times. With a few brief exceptions, Ms. Campbell did not work outside the home. She has a grade 10 education and did not receive training during the marriage. [ 6 ] Mr.
Vaughan retired from the military in 1996, at age 44. He has been receiving a retirement pension since then. By 2012, this pension had increased to $35,737 annually. As well, he receives a non-taxable disability income related to his military service that was $10,892 in 2012. [ 7 ] Since retirement from the military almost 20 years ago, Mr. Vaughan has been employed in a number of positions. For the majority of this time he has worked within the Irving group of companies. After 2007, when his employment income was roughly $85,000 per year, his income increased quite significantly.
By 2011, the year following separation, Mr. Vaughan’s employment income had increased to $157,868. It was on this income (plus the grossed-up amount of his non-taxable disability income from the military, approximately $13,000) that the trial judge, in his December 2012 decision, set spousal support at $78,000 ($6,500 per month). At that time, Ms. Campbell had no source of income other than spousal support. In subsequent years, Mr. Vaughan’s employment income continued to increase ($166,800, in 2012; $193,344, in 2013; and $184,489, in 2014).
This income included annual year-end performance bonuses. [ 8 ] At the time of the 2012 divorce trial, the parties’ marital property was divided. Mr. Vaughan retained the marital home and Ms. Campbell received non-registered funds and account(
s) amounting to in excess of $100,000. Additionally, Ms. Campbell retained RRSPs of $218,000 and Mr. Vaughan retained RRSPs of $168,000. From the division of Mr. Vaughan’s retirement pension, Ms. Campbell received approximately $299,000 in registered funds and the annual payments received by Mr. Vaughan decreased from $35,737 to $20,579 (in 2013). [ 9 ] Ms. Campbell’s motion is not the first proceeding to follow the December 2012 decision. Mr. Vaughan appealed that decision. His appeal was dismissed by this Court on February 20, 2014 ( see Vaughan v. Vaughan 2014 NBCA 6 , 415 N.B.R. (2d) 286 ). Ms.
Campbell filed her motion to vary support in January 2015. [ 10 ] After hearing Ms. Campbell’s motion, the motion judge issued written reasons on May 22, 2015. She found that the increase in Mr. Vaughan’s 2013 employment income constituted a “change in circumstances” within the meaning of s. 17(4.1) of the Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2nd Supp.). There was no such finding in relation to his 2012 income. The motion judge also found that Ms. Campbell was entitled to spousal support based on this post-separation increase in Mr. Vaughan’s income.
In establishing his income for spousal support purposes, the motion judge did not include his pension income of $20,579 since the pension had been divided a year earlier, in 2012. This decision was both consistent with Ms. Campbell’s position on the motion and based on the principle against “double-dipping” articulated in Boston . However, over the objection of Ms. Campbell, the motion judge granted Mr. Vaughan’s request to have income imputed to Ms.
Campbell based on her having investments that were not reasonably utilized to generate income; these investments were comprised of her share of the divided pension and RRSPs. After considering the Guidelines , using both Mr. Vaughan’s increased income and the income imputed to Ms. Campbell, the motion judge concluded that the $6,500 per month ordered in 2012 continued to be the appropriate amount of support. III. Issues on Appeal [ 11 ] The motion judge’s determination that Ms. Campbell is entitled to support based on the increase in Mr. Vaughan’s income is not in issue. Mr. Vaughan had opposed Ms.
Campbell on this point at the hearing of the motion. He argued his increased income should not be considered for spousal support purposes because it occurred as a consequence of his assuming greater work responsibilities and duties post-separation. The motion judge’s decision to the contrary is not the subject of a cross-appeal. [ 12 ] Ms. Campbell’s primary submission on appeal is that the motion judge should not have imputed income to her in connection with the investments she retained from the division of Mr. Vaughan’s pension and their RRSPs. Her grounds
of appeal make three distinct assertions. First, she asserts the motion judge was precluded from imputing income to her, alleging theissue is res judicata. Second, Ms. Campbell asserts the motion judge “should not” have treated the parties differently in relation to theincome from, or the income earning potential of, their equalized marital property. Third, she submits, in the alternative, the motion judgeerred in imputing “interest income” on her assets/investments, in the absence of evidence to establish an appropriate rate for doing so. IV. Analysis A.
Standard of Review [13] With respect to the applicable standard of review, I would repeat the words of Quigg J.A. in the 2014 decisioninvolving these parties (Vaughan) as follows: This Court does not re-try cases, nor does it substitute its views for those of the application judge. In family law matters we take the viewthat considerable deference must be shown to a judge’s decision. Of course, we will intervene when there is an error of law, a significantmisapprehension of the evidence or if the decision is clearly wrong. This principle has been restated often in our decisions, among themLeBlanc v.
LeBlanc, 2013 NBCA 22, 401 N.B.R. (2d) 334; P.R.H. v. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100, at paras. 8 and 9;Smith v. Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208, at para. 10; Doiron v. Wilcox, 2012 NBCA 70, 393 N.B.R. (2d) 183, at paras. 9 to11 and C.M.H. v. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 N.B.R. (2d) 154, at para. 8. In MacLean v. MacLean, 2004 NBCA 75, 274 N.B.R (2d) 90, this Court further held that the same standard of review must be appliedwhen reviewing support orders (see Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518, [1999] S.C.J.
No. 9 (QL); J.E.J. v.S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, 318 N.B.R. (2d) 119, at para. 35; Milton v. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 N.B.R. (2d) 300, at para. 14; Scott v.Scott, 2011 NBCA 7, 368 N.B.R. (2d) 281, at paras. 15 and 16; Smith v. Smith, at para. 11; C.M.H. v. J.R.H., at para. 11 and Grant v.Grant, 2012 NBCA 101, 397 N.B.R. (2d) 254 at paras. 4 and 5) […]. [paras. 7-8] B. Res Judicata [14] Ms. Campbell asserts that the issue of imputation of income to her in relation to equalizedmarital property is res judicata because it “was determined at the time of Divorce”.
Additionally, she argues the issue was alsodetermined by this Court following Mr. Vaughan’s appeal of that decision. She relies on Hachey v. Hachey (1981), (NB CA), 34 N.B.R. (2d) 14, [1981] N.B.J. No. 67 (C.A.) (QL). [15] Despite her assertion that the issue was determined at the divorce trial, Ms. Campbell was notable to identify any such determination in the trial judge’s December 2012 reasons. Quite simply, the divorce trial did not determine theissue of whether income should be imputed to Ms.
Campbell in connection with the pension or other investments she had acquired or wasto acquire from the equalization of marital property. The trial judge was aware that Mr. Vaughan’s pension was to be divided with Ms.Campbell. Indeed, he set the support payable to Ms. Campbell at $7,500 and ordered that it reduce to $6,500 once his pension wasdivided (at which time Mr. Vaughan would cease to be the sole recipient of the full pension income, as he had been for over 15 years).However, this reduction, to account for the anticipated division of Mr.
Vaughan’s pension, does not constitute or reflect thedetermination of whether Ms. Campbell was reasonably utilizing her share of the pension (or other such property). The record does notindicate why this issue was not addressed. In any case, while the principle of res judicata may apply to issues that could have been raisedand determined, this was not the submission on appeal and for reasons set out below, it would not make a difference even if it had been. [16] Ms.
Campbell’s submission that this Court in Vaughan determined the issue is also not accurate.She identified paragraphs 28-29 of the reasons as reflecting this Court’s decision on the issue. These paragraphs indicate, among otherthings, support for the trial judge’s determination of spousal support, including the reduction from $7,500 per month to $6,500 per monthonce Mr. Vaughan’s pension was divided. They do not however reflect a determination of the issue of whether it was appropriate toimpute income to Ms. Campbell in connection with equalized marital property.
The Court’s reasons address the issues raised by Mr.Vaughan’s appeal, none of which required the determination of this question. [17] Neither the divorce trial nor the appeal determined whether income should be imputed to Ms.Campbell based on the assertion that her share of the equalized marital property was not reasonably utilized to generate income, in viewof Boston or otherwise. Even if either decision had made such a determination, the doctrine of res judicata would not preclude a futuredetermination of the issue at a different time and in different circumstances. The determination of Ms.
Campbell’s income, following a
change in circumstances, may include a determination of whether she is reasonably utilizing her property, at that time, to generate an income as contemplated by paragraph 19(1)(
e) of the Child Support Guidelines and in view of the principles enunciated in Boston . No authority to the contrary was provided. While courts should strive, even after finding that there has been a change in circumstances, to avoid re-litigating issues and to limit variation motions to what is appropriate in light of the changed circumstances ( L.M.P v. L.S ., 2011 SCC 64 , [2011] 3 S.C.R. 775 , at para. 47 - 50 ; Black v. Black , 2015 NBCA 63 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 235 (QL) , at para 15 ; Delichte v. Rogers , 2013 MBCA 106 , [2013] M.J. No. 404 (QL) , at para. 71 ; I.P. v. J.S.P. , 2010 BCSC 1112 , [2010] B.C.J.
No. 1570 (QL) , at para. 32 ), it was appropriate for the motion judge to determine the parties’ income in the circumstances as they existed before her. This included a determination of Mr. Vaughan’s request to have income imputed to Ms. Campbell on the basis that she possessed property that was not reasonably utilized to generate income. [ 18 ] In conclusion, the doctrine of res judicata was not a bar to the motion judge determining Mr. Vaughan’s request to impute income to Ms. Campbell in connection with the investments she acquired from the division of marital property.
I would note that res judicata should have been raised first before the motion judge and nothing in the record indicates that it was. C. Different Treatment of Divided Pension [ 19 ] What Ms. Campbell views as unfair about the motion judge’s decision to impute income to her is clear. She submits the motion judge “should not” have imputed income to her in relation to her share of the equalized marital property while excluding Mr. Vaughan’s income from his share of those same assets. Alternatively, she asserts that if it was appropriate to impute income to her, the motion judge should have similarly included Mr.
Vaughan’s pension income and additionally imputed income to him in relation to his RRSPs. Either way, she argues the motion judge should not have treated the divided marital property of the parties differently. She submits this is not only unfair, but also, it diminishes her compensatory claim for support. [ 20 ] What is less clear is Ms. Campbell’s identification of a reversible error in the analysis that led the motion judge to determine each party’s income as she did. Ms.
Campbell candidly acknowledges the law does not require the equalized marital property of parties to be treated or accounted for in the same manner when determining spousal support. Additionally, she does not identify an error in law or principle on the part of the motion judge, nor does she identify a significant misapprehension of the evidence. Her position is solely that, in the circumstances, the motion judge should have treated the parties’ equalized marital property the same way when determining their income for support purposes.
She suggests that the very result of the parties’ equalized property having been treated differently evidences error. Ms. Campbell’s position may be summarized as: the motion judge’s decision is “clearly wrong” because the parties’ equalized property was treated differently. [ 21 ] The acknowledgement that the law does not require equalized marital property to be accounted for in the same manner, when determining income for spousal support purposes, is not surprising.
In Boston , the leading authority on the issue of “double dipping” and the use of equalized marital property in determining spousal support, such was the result, albeit on different facts. It has been the result in a number of other reported decisions, including Pettigrew v. Pettigrew , 2005 NSSC 219 , [2005] N.S.J. No. 616 (QL) (affirmed 2006 NSCA 98 , [2006] N.S.J. No. 321 (QL) ). Boston and Pettigrew were the only cases submitted on appeal in relation to this issue. [ 22 ] In her reasons, the motion judge referred to both Boston and Pettigrew . Applying Boston, she excluded Mr.
Vaughan’s pension income from his income for support purposes for 2013, on the basis the pension had been divided in 2012. As noted above, Ms. Campbell takes no issue with this (other than her position that the treatment of the pension should be the same for her). In fact, this was why Ms. Campbell did not, at the hearing of the motion, request support based on Mr. Vaughan’s pension. [ 23 ] After she determined Mr. Vaughan’s income, the motion judge turned to the determination of Ms. Campbell’s income for support purposes. In doing so, she considered whether it was appropriate to impute income to Ms.
Campbell for not reasonably utilizing her “equalization assets to generate” an income. In identifying the issue and referring to the law and principles applicable to a payee spouse’s obligation to use equalization assets to generate income, she said, including quoting from Boston : As to the payee spouse’s obligation to use equalization assets to generate a revenue, the Court dealt with these issues in paragraphs 54 to 60 which read as follows: 54 I agree with Czutrin J.’s reasons in Shadbolt and Professor McLeod’s comments in annotation to that case.
When a pension is dealt with by the lump-sum method, the pension-holding spouse (here the husband) must transfer real assets to the payee spouse (here the
wife) in order to equalize matrimonial property. The wife can use these real assets immediately. Under a compensatory spousal support order or agreement, the wife has an obligation to use these assets in an income-producing way. She need not dedicate the equalization assets to investment immediately on receiving them; however, she must use them to generate income when the pension-holding spouse retires. The ideal would be if the payee spouse generated sufficient income or savings from her capital assets to equal the payor spouse’s pension income.
In any event, the payee spouse must use the assets received on equalization to create a “pension” to provide for her future support. 55 This requirement is based on the principle that, as far as it is reasonable, the payee spouse should attempt to generate economic self- sufficiency. Self-sufficiency is only one factor of many that is weighed. It is obvious that in most cases of long-term marriage, the goal of self-sufficiency is decidedly difficult to attain, particularly for spouses who remained at home during the marriage.
Self-sufficiency will often not be practicable largely due to the residual effects of being outside the labour market for a protracted period of time. In addition, there are factors to consider such as age, education and parenting responsibilities.
Consequently, it is often unreasonable to expect the payee spouse to earn an income from employment after separation or divorce. 56 However, where the payee spouse receives assets on equalization in exchange for a part of her former spouse’s pension entitlement, she must use those assets in a reasonable attempt to generate income at least by the time the pension starts to pay out. The reason for this requirement is clear. The payee spouse cannot save the assets that she receives upon equalization and choose instead to live on the liquidation of the payor spouse’s pension when he retires.
If she were permitted to do so, the payee spouse would accumulate an estate while the payor spouse’s estate is liquidating. […] [para. 60] [ 24 ] In explaining her reasons for concluding it was appropriate to impute income to Ms. Campbell in connection with her “equalization assets”, the motion judge said: On the other hand, Ms. Campbell cannot sit on assets worth one-half million dollars and not have them generate revenue. Although it is unlikely that she will be employed given that she was out of the labour force for a long time, she still has an obligation to attempt to generate economic self-sufficiency.
By not using these resources to produce some income, she is not reasonably utilizing her property to generate income contrary to paragraph 19(1) (
e) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR/97-175. Ms. Campbell is 62 years of age, many people her age have retired and are drawing from their RRSP’s and their investments. I realize that these funds will be what Ms. Campbell will have to use in the future to support herself. Some people at her stage in life start using the capital and revenue from their resources in order to meet their needs. As such, I will impute an annual income of $20,000 from the assets held by Ms. Campbell. As well, in the year 2013, Ms. Campbell has collected CPP benefits of $4,191.72.
This amount should also be used as a source of income for the purposes of calculating spousal support. [para. 64] [ 25 ] As mentioned, Ms. Campbell does not identify an error of law or principle nor does she suggest that there was a significant misapprehension of the facts. Despite this, she asks that the decision be set aside based on her submission that the motion judge should not have treated the parties’ equalized pension and RRSPs differently. She suggests the necessity of “similar treatment” of this property is of such significance that it is virtually determinative of whether income could be imputed.
She did not provide authority to support this position. That said, I accept that the law set out in Boston is harmonious with the assertion that, as a general proposition and all other factors being equal, divided marital property of this nature should factor similarly in the circumstances of both a payor and a payee in the determination of spousal support. This is reflected in the principles articulated in Boston . Such an approach was also captured by Prowse J. in Yemchuk v. Yemchuk , 2005 BCCA 406 , [2005] B.C.J. No. 1748 (QL) , when she said: After considering this issue, I conclude that Mr.
Yemchuk’s pension income should be treated in the same manner in the hands of both parties. Either it should be included in income, because it is in fact an income stream in the parties’ hands, or it should be excluded from both parties’ income on the basis that it had already been divided between them as property. In these circumstances, I am satisfied that it should be included as income to both parties since that accords with practical realities. I do not consider that this results in “double dipping” as that concept is discussed in the leading case of Boston v.
Boston , 2001 SCC 43 , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 413 . [para. 57] Such a proposition, however, cannot displace or dominate the analysis of the objectives and factors that must be considered and weighed by a judge in order to make an appropriate spousal support order, as required by the Divorce Act . The essence of Ms. Campbell’s assertion is that the equal treatment of the property in question is of such great weight the motion judge was clearly wrong to make any disposition other than one that treated the property the same, and she seeks to have this Court reweigh the evidence to effect that result.
In the circumstances, such an approach disregards the obligation imposed on, and discretion afforded to, trial judges under the Divorce Act . It also is inconsistent with the applicable standard of review. [ 26 ] While much could be said about the issues that may arise in the determination of income in relation to equalized marital property, including the issues related to imputation of income, “double dipping” and the objective of self- sufficiency, in view of the manner in which this appeal was quite narrowly placed and argued before this Court, it is not necessary or
appropriate to more fully canvas the relevant law and principles. [ 27 ] The motion judge did not err in law or in principle. She did not misapprehend the facts. In the circumstances before the motion judge, I am not persuaded that she was clearly wrong. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. D. Imputation of Interest Income Without Evidence of an Appropriate Interest Rate [ 28 ] In connection with this ground of appeal, Ms. Campbell frames the issue too narrowly. She correctly notes the motion judge’s reasons do not explain why she concluded that $20,000 was the appropriate quantum of income to impute.
However, her assumption that the motion judge imputed “interest income” of $20,000 on her investments of $500,000 and did so using a 4% interest rate, is not supported by the record. I n her Supplementary Notice of Appeal Ms. Campbell says: […] c. The learned motion judge committed an error in law by imputing interest income without actuarial evidence. […] In her written submission she says: There was no evidence before the learned Trial Judge on the amount of interest income that should be imputed to the Appellant for her investments.
However, she appears to have applied the rate of 4%; Without evidence of an appropriate interest rate, the learned Trial Judge should have not imputed an investment income to the Appellant and should have left the Respondent’s military pension out of the calculation. [paras. 23-24] In support of this, she refers to the following comments from Boston (para. 66): Finally, if the payee spouse receives assets in exchange for a share of the capitalized value of the other spouse’s pension and she does not invest those assets in an attempt to produce an income, the court should impute an income to the payee spouse based on what those assets could reasonably produce if invested.
This should not be based on artificial assumptions but on professional actuarial advice. [Emphasis by Ms. Campbell.] [ 29 ] The record does not support Ms. Campbell’s assertion the motion judge must have imputed “interest income” and that she did so without appropriate evidence. Mr. Vaughan’s affidavit references his request to have an income of $20,000 imputed to Ms. Campbell, based on what he expected she could receive from her share of his pension.
This amount is approximately the same amount he received after his pension was divided. [ 30 ] Although sufficiency of reasons was not argued in this case, it is helpful to have regard to the approach to be taken when confronted with reasons that may not clearly explain a decision. In P.R.H. v. M.E.L. , 2009 NBCA 18 , 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100 , Larlee J.A. summarized various decisions on this issue and said: In R. v. Walker , [2008] S.C.J. No. 34 (QL) , 2008 SCC 34 , the Court emphasized that the parties are entitled to know why the judge
reached his or her decision, and that reasons must be sufficient to allow for appellate review. However, an appellate court is not to intervene merely because a trial court did a poor job in expressing itself. The Court held that reasons are sufficient if they are responsive to the live issues of the case and the parties’ key arguments. Sufficiency of reasons must be measured by the degree to which they respond to the substance of what was in issue. The live issues of the case must be dealt with, and the basis for the ruling must be clear.
The Supreme Court’s most recent pronouncement concerning the issue of adequate reasons for judgment is found in the decision of R. v. R.E.M. , [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3 , [2008] S.C.J. No. 52 (QL) , 2008 SCC 51 , in which McLachlin C.J.C. advocates a functional context-specific approach to the consideration of adequacy of reasons. Courts of Appeal which are considering the sufficiency of reasons should read them as a whole, in the context of the evidence, the arguments and the trial, with an appreciation of the purposes or functions for which they are delivered.
The function of the reasons is to tell the affected parties why the decision was made, to provide public accountability and to permit effective appellate review. The reasons need to show the path the judge followed from the evidence to the factual findings to the legal conclusions. This approach was followed by this Court in New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) v. T.L.M. (Litigation guardian of) , [2009] N.B.J. No. 19 (QL) , 2009 NBCA 8 , in which Richard J.A. discusses the question of sufficiency of reasons to be applied in child protection matters. [paras. 12-13] [ 31 ] Ms.
Campbell’s affidavit in support of the motion was quite brief and focused primarily on Mr. Vaughan’s income. Mr. Vaughan’s affidavits addressed his income, the circumstances of his employment, his plans to retire, his health issues (including medical evidence) and his position with respect to Ms. Campbell’s income, among other things. In connection with Mr. Vaughan’s request to impute income of $20,000 to Ms. Campbell and his reason for making this request, his affidavit states: My income for 2014 is $184,489.00 from employment, this is $155,000.00 as wage plus $19,950.00 for bonus and any taxable benefits.
The $28,000.00 that we received from the pension has been changed to approximately $40,000.00 when I reached 60 years of age, that was divided by Amanda and I to about $20,000.00 each and should not be divided . Attached hereto as Exhibit “C” is a second letter to Sheila Cameron, Q.C. dated October 8, 2014, which states with regard to the DVA pension it was reduced to $801.00 starting in October of 2014, however, this was reduced back to the date of the divorce and as a result Mr.
Vaughan owes the amount of $5,353.84 as a result of the overpayment of the DVA pension, attached as Exhibit “D”. […] My wife’s current support is $6,500.00 per month from me as spousal support, also she has received RRSP’s for the division of the pension of $299,728.00, however, she has not yet taken anything out of that pension, according to her Financial Statement, the amount of $20,000.00 should be added back into her income in determining her need . While we were together, my wife and I discussed the possibility of my retiring by the age of 60 or 61.
After my wife left me she wanted me to continue working for so long as I could continue to work. The issue has been when I would retire and now that I have provided notice to my employer that I intend to retire there will be a sudden dropping of support both for myself and for my wife. This was something that was fairly self-evident in light of the fact that I am currently 63 years old, we had discussed about early retirement while we were together. The second pension that I get is as a result of disabilities that I earned while I was in the military.
These were damages to my spine, and also there is my hearing for which I wearing hearing aids to hear properly. My wife shares in this pension. In looking over my wife’s Financial Statement the first thing that I notice is that she bought a condominium of $355,000.00 which is financed by a mortgage of $326,753.00. That seems an awfully large mortgage to take out over a home when it is foreseeable that the regular support would be ending fairly shortly. My house (that we both used to own) is valued at $260,000.00.
The items that I had given to my wife were RRSP’s of $210,000.00 and $299,728.00 for my military pension providing her over a half million dollars in capital. The values of those RRSP’s are the same in Mrs. Vaughan’s Financial Statement dated May 9, 2012, which is attached hereto as Exhibit “N”. Either this value has been consistent for three years or the amount of her RRSP’s has changed but we don’t know that it has changed.
Especially considering she cashed in $10,000.00 in RRSP’s in 2013 . [paras. 10, 25-27] [Emphasis added.] [ 32 ] In the absence of any explanation with respect to the amount imputed, it is not entirely unreasonable for Ms. Campbell to question whether the motion judge imputed interest income.
In fact, when imputing income in relation to capital that is found to be underutilized, it is not unusual to impute an amount that is equivalent to interest that the evidence indicates may be earned; however, the motion judge did not indicate such an intention and, having regard to the issues and evidence before her, it is unlikely she did so – especially without such a request having been made and without any evidence consistent with such a request.
[33] In view of the issues and evidence before the motion judge, I conclude that, after deciding the hotly disputedissue of whether it was appropriate to impute income, she addressed the issue of quantum by imputing the $20,000 amount requested byMr. Vaughan and she did so based on the rationale advanced by him. There is no indication in the record before us that he or Ms.Campbell raised any other amount. There was no evidence in connection with any other appropriate or rational basis for imputing adifferent amount.
I am satisfied from the record that, in her decision, the motion judge was responding to the request and the evidence ofMr. Vaughan. [34] The next question is whether Mr. Vaughan’s evidence rises to the level of a “rational basis” to impute. ThisCourt recently reiterated, in Chiasson v. Doucet, 2014 NBCA 49, 422 N.B.R. (2d) 304, the importance of having a “rational basis” (para.9) on which to ground the imputation of income. In setting out the requirements respecting imputation, regard is often had to thefollowing comments of Ontario Court of Appeal in A.M.D. v. A.J.P., (ON CA), [2002] O.J. No. 3731 (C.A.) (QL):
Section 19 of the Guidelines is not an invitation to the court to arbitrarily select an amount as imputed income. There must be a rationalbasis underlying the selection of any such figure. The amount selected as an exercise of the court’s discretion must be grounded in theevidence. [para. 44] (See also LeBlanc v. LeBlanc, 2013 NBCA 22, 401 N.B.R. (2d) 334; Pollock v. Rioux; 2004 NBCA 98, 278 N.B.R. (2d) 351; andTrevors v. Jenkins, 2011 NBCA 61, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 293). [35] The rationale offered to support Mr. Vaughan’s request to impute $20,000 to Ms.
Campbell was thatthis was the amount he received from his share of the divided pension and he suggested that Ms. Campbell should also be able to receivea similar amount. It is my view, particularly in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, that this is a sufficiently rational basis onwhich to impute the $20,000 requested by Mr. Vaughan. In fact, this represents an income from approximately 60% of the $500,000 themotion judge concluded was not reasonably being utilized by Ms. Campbell to produce an income. [36] I would dismiss this ground of appeal. E.
Material change in 2012 [37] In view of the lack of success of the grounds addressed above, and that Mr. Vaughan’s incomein 2012 was his lowest during the years in question, Ms. Campbell’s assertion the motion judge erred in not determining that a materialchange occurred in 2012 need not be addressed. VI. Conclusion and Disposition [38] I would dismiss the appeal, with costs of $2,500 payable by the appellant, Ms. Campbell, to therespondent, Mr. Vaughan. ___________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH, J.A. WE CONCUR: ___________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. ___________________________
BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. Version française de la décision rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] M me Campbell interjette appel du rejet de sa motion en vue d’obtenir une augmentation de sa pension alimentaire. En décembre 2012, un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a fixé les aliments payables à M me Campbell à 6 500 $ par mois. Depuis le procès sur la requête en divorce, M. Vaughan a vu son revenu d’emploi augmenter. [2] La juge saisie de la motion a accepté les prétentions de M me Campbell selon lesquelles l’augmentation de revenu de M.
Vaughan constituait un changement de situation et que M me Campbell avait droit à des aliments calculés en fonction de cette augmentation de salaire réalisée après la séparation; toutefois, elle a aussi accepté la demande de M. Vaughan voulant que la somme de 20 000 $ soit attribuée à M me Campbell en raison des biens d’une valeur d’environ 500 000 $ dont elle dispose et qui ne sont pas raisonnablement utilisés afin de gagner un revenu, ainsi que le prévoit l’ alinéa 19(1)
e) des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 . M me Campbell a acquis cette somme de 500 000 $ par suite d’une répartition des biens matrimoniaux des parties en 2012. Ces fonds sont constitués de la part qui lui revenait de la pension de retraite du service militaire de M. Vaughan, ainsi que d’une répartition des REER des ex-conjoints. Après avoir pris en considération les Lignes directrices facultatives en matière de pensions alimentaires pour époux (les « Lignes directrices » ), la juge saisie de la motion a conclu que le montant de pension alimentaire approprié était toujours 6 500 $ par mois et elle a rejeté cette
partie de la motion présentée par M me Campbell. [3] Le principal argument soulevé par M me Campbell en appel est que la juge saisie de la motion n’aurait pas dû lui attribuer un revenu découlant de l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux tout en excluant, en même temps, du revenu de M. Vaughan la pension du service militaire de celui-ci aux fins du calcul de la pension alimentaire. M me Campbell ne conteste pas la décision d’exclure du revenu de M. Vaughan sa pension du service militaire, puisque celle-ci avait déjà été répartie et qu’elle en avait obtenu sa part (à cet égard, elle se fonde sur l’arrêt Boston c.
Boston , 2001 CSC 43 , [2001] 2 R.C.S. 413 ). En effet, à l’audition de la motion, c’est la position que M me Campbell a adoptée. Toutefois, elle fait valoir que, puisqu’elle avait décidé d’exclure du revenu de M. Vaughan la pension du service militaire de celui-ci pour le calcul de la pension alimentaire, la juge saisie de la motion n’aurait pas dû attribuer à M me Campbell un revenu découlant de sa part de ce même bien. Subsidiairement, elle soutient que si un revenu lui est attribué à cet égard, la pension de M.
Vaughan devrait être incluse dans le revenu de celui-ci pour les fins du calcul de la pension alimentaire. II. Le contexte [4] M. Vaughan et M me Campbell ont tous deux 63 ans. Ils se sont séparés en 2010 après 38 ans de mariage. Ils ont deux enfants d’âge adulte. [5] Lorsque les parties se sont mariées, en 1972, M. Vaughan avait 20 ans et cela faisait quelques années déjà qu’il travaillait dans les forces militaires. M me Campbell était âgée de 19 ans. Le premier enfant est né un an après leur mariage. En raison de la carrière militaire de M. Vaughan, la famille a déménagé neuf fois.
À quelques brèves exceptions près, M me Campbell n’a pas travaillé à l’extérieur du foyer. Elle a terminé sa 10 e année scolaire et n’a pas suivi de cours de formation durant le mariage. [6] M. Vaughan a pris sa retraite du service militaire en 1996, à l’âge de 44 ans. Depuis ce temps, il reçoit une pension de retraite. En 2012, sa pension s’élevait à 35 737 $ par année. De plus, il reçoit des prestations d’invalidité non imposables découlant de son service militaire et qui, en 2012, s’élevaient à 10 892 $. [7] Depuis sa retraite du service militaire, il y a presque 20 ans, M. Vaughan a occupé un certain
nombre d’emplois. Pendant la grande
partie de cette période, il a surtout travaillé pour le groupe des compagnies Irving. Après 2007, lorsque son revenu d’emploi était d’environ 85 000 $ par année, il a obtenu des augmentations de revenu fort considérables. Rendu en 2011, l’année suivant la séparation, le revenu d’emploi de M. Vaughan était passé à 157 868 $. C’est en fonction de ce revenu (plus le montant majoré des prestations d’invalidité non imposables découlant du service militaire de M.
Vaughan, soit la somme d’environ 13 000 $) que le juge du procès a fixé le montant des aliments à 78 000 $ (6 500 $ par mois) dans la décision qu’il a rendue en décembre 2012. À cette époque, M me Campbell n’avait aucune source de revenu autre que la pension alimentaire. Au cours des années subséquentes, le revenu d’emploi de M. Vaughan a continué d’augmenter (166 800 $, en 2012; 193 344 $, en 2013; 184 489 $, en 2014). S’ajoutaient à ce revenu des primes de rendement de fin d’année. [8] En 2012, au moment du procès sur la requête en divorce, les biens matrimoniaux des parties ont été répartis. M.
Vaughan a conservé le foyer matrimonial et M me Campbell a reçu une part de régimes non enregistrés et de comptes divers se montant à plus de 100 000 $. De plus, M me Campbell a obtenu des fonds de REER pour un total de 218 000 $ et M. Vaughan en a obtenus pour un total de 168 000 $. Par suite de la répartition de la pension de retraite de M. Vaughan, M me Campbell a reçu environ 299 000 $ sous forme de fonds enregistrés et les paiements annuels de M.
Vaughan ont diminué, passant de 35 737 $ à 20 579 $ (en 2013). [9] La motion présentée par M me Campbell n’est pas la première demande qui a été déposée en cour après la décision de décembre 2012. M. Vaughan a interjeté appel de cette décision. Son appel a été rejeté par notre Cour le 20 février 2014 (voir Vaughan c. Vaughan , 2014 NBCA 6 , 415 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 286 ). M me Campbell a déposé sa motion en modification de la pension alimentaire en janvier 2015. [10] Après l’audition de la motion de M me Campbell, la juge saisie de la motion a rendu ses motifs écrits le 22 mai 2015.
Elle a conclu que l’augmentation du revenu d’emploi de M. Vaughan, en 2013, constituait un « changement de situation » au sens du par. 17(4.1) de la
Loi sur le divorce , S.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl.) . Aucune conclusion de la sorte n’a été tirée concernant son revenu de 2012. La juge saisie de la motion a conclu également que M me Campbell avait droit à une pension alimentaire calculée en fonction de cette augmentation de revenu que M. Vaughan avait réalisée après la séparation. En établissant le montant de son revenu pour le calcul de la pension alimentaire, la juge saisie de la motion n’a pas inclus son revenu de pension qui s’élevait à 20 579 $, étant donné que cette pension avait été répartie un an plus tôt, soit en 2012.
Cette décision concordait à la fois avec la position adoptée par M me Campbell dans sa motion, et avec la règle interdisant la « double ponction » énoncée dans l’arrêt Boston . Toutefois, malgré l’objection formulée par M me Campbell, la juge saisie de la motion a accueilli la demande de M. Vaughan voulant qu’un revenu soit attribué à M me Campbell pour tenir compte du fait qu’elle disposait de placements qui n’étaient pas raisonnablement utilisés afin de gagner un revenu; ces placements étaient constitués de la part qui revenait à celle-ci de la répartition de la pension et des REER.
Après avoir examiné les Lignes directrices , en utilisant à la fois le revenu majoré de M. Vaughan et le revenu attribué à M me Campbell, la juge saisie de la motion a conclu que l’ordonnance alimentaire de 6 500 $ par mois, rendue en 2012, constituait toujours la pension alimentaire appropriée. III. Questions soulevées en appel [11] La décision de la juge saisie de la motion selon laquelle la pension alimentaire de M me Campbell doit être calculée en fonction de l’augmentation de revenu de M. Vaughan n’est pas en litige. M. Vaughan s’était opposé à M me Campbell sur ce point à l’audition de la motion.
Il prétendait que son revenu majoré ne devrait pas être pris en considération pour le calcul de la pension alimentaire parce que ce revenu était le produit du fait qu’il avait assumé des responsabilités et fonctions supérieures après la séparation. La décision contraire rendue par la juge saisie de la motion n’est pas l’objet d’un appel reconventionnel. [12] Le principal argument que M me Campbell soulève en appel est que la juge saisie de la motion n’aurait pas dû lui attribuer un revenu au
titre des placements qu’elle avait obtenus par suite de la répartition de la pension de M. Vaughan et de leurs REER. Dans ses moyens d’appel, elle formule trois prétentions distinctes. Premièrement, en se fondant sur la règle de la chose jugée, elle prétend que la juge saisie de la motion était précluse de lui attribuer un revenu. Deuxièmement, M me Campbell affirme que la juge saisie de la motion [TRADUCTION] « n’aurait pas dû » traiter les parties de manière différente en ce qui concernait le revenu provenant de l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux, ou du rendement potentiel de ce revenu.
Troisièmement, et subsidiairement, elle soutient que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur en lui attribuant un [TRADUCTION] « revenu en intérêts » relatif à ses biens/placements, en l’absence d’une preuve établissant un taux d’intérêt approprié. IV. Analyse
A. Norme de contrôle [13] S’agissant de la norme de contrôle applicable, je reprendrais les propos tenus par la juged’appel Quigg dans la décision qu’elle a rendue en 2014 concernant les parties aux présentes (Vaughan). Voici ces propos : Notre Cour ne doit pas juger l’affaire de nouveau, ni substituer son opinion à celle du juge saisi de la requête. En droit de la famille, notreCour a adopté le point de vue selon lequel elle doit faire montre d’une grande déférence à l’égard de la décision d’un juge.
Certes, elleinterviendra en cas d’erreur de droit, d’erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou encore si la décision est manifestementerronée. Nous avons rappelé la pertinence de ce principe à maintes reprises, entre autres dans les arrêts LeBlanc c. LeBlanc, 2013 NBCA 22, 401 R.N.-B. (2e) 334; P.R.H. c. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, aux par. 8 et 9; Smith c. Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 208, au par. 10; Doiron c. Wilcox, 2012 NBCA 70, 393 R.N.-B. (2e) 183, aux par. 9 à 11; et C.M.H. c. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 R.N.-B. (2e) 154, au par. 8. Dans l’arrêt MacLean c.
MacLean, 2004 NBCA 75, 274 R.N.-B. (2e) 90, notre Cour a également conclu que la même norme de contrôledoit être appliquée à la révision des ordonnances alimentaires (voir les arrêts Hickey c. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL); J.E.J. c. S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, 318 R.N.-B. (2e) 119, au par. 35; Milton c. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 R.N.-B. (2e) 300, au par. 14; B.S. c. L.S., 2011 NBCA 7, 368 R.N.-B. (2e) 281, aux par. 15 et 16; Smith c. Smith, au par. 11; C.M.H. c. J.R.H., au par. 11; et Grant c. Grant, 2012 NBCA 101, 397 R.N.-B. (2e) 254, aux par. 4 et 5). […] [par. 7 et 8] B.
Chose jugée [14] Mme Campbell fait valoir que la question du revenu qui lui est attribué au
titre de l’égalisationdes biens matrimoniaux est chose jugée étant donné que cette question [TRADUCTION] « a été tranchée au moment du divorce ». Quiplus est, elle soutient que la question a été tranchée également par notre Cour lors de l’appel de cette décision interjeté par M. Vaughan. Elle se fonde sur l’arrêt Hachey c.
Hachey (1981), (NB CA), 34 R.N.-B. (2e) 14, [1981] A.N.-B. no 67 (C.A.) (QL). [15] Même si elle affirme que la question a été tranchée au procès sur la requête en divorce, Mme Campbell n’a pas été capable d’isoler une conclusion à cet égard dans les motifs rendus par le juge du procès en décembre 2012. Endeux mots, le juge du procès sur la requête en divorce n’a pas tranché la question de savoir si un revenu devrait être attribué à Mme Campbell au
titre de la pension ou d’autres placements qu’elle avait acquis ou qu’elle obtiendrait par suite de l’égalisation des biensmatrimoniaux. Le juge du procès était conscient du fait que la pension de M. Vaughan devait être répartie et qu’une part de celle-ci serait attribuée à Mme Campbell. En effet, il a fixé les aliments payables à Mme Campbell à 7 500 $ et a ordonné que cette somme soit ramenéeà 6 500 $ lorsque la pension de M. Vaughan serait répartie (auquel moment M. Vaughan cesserait d’être le seul bénéficiaire de la pleinepension, comme il l’avait été pendant plus de 15 ans).
Toutefois, cette réduction des aliments, qui a été effectuée afin de tenir compte dela répartition prévue de la pension de M. Vaughan, ne constitue pas ou ne représente pas un règlement de la question de savoir si Mme Campbell utilisait raisonnablement sa part de la pension (ou un autre bien semblable). Le dossier ne montre pas pourquoi cettequestion n’a pas été réglée.
Quoi qu’il en soit, bien que la règle de la chose jugée puisse s’appliquer à des questions qui auraient pu avoirété soulevées et tranchées, ce n’est pas ce qui a été prétendu en appel et, pour les motifs énoncés ci-après, même si c’était le cas, cela neferait aucune différence. [16] La prétention de Mme Campbell selon laquelle notre Cour a tranché la question dans l’arrêtVaughan n’est pas exacte non plus. Elle a isolé les paragraphes 28 et 29 des motifs en affirmant qu’ils contenaient la décision de notreCour sur la question.
Entre autres choses, ces paragraphes viennent étayer le montant fixé par le juge du procès comme pensionalimentaire, notamment la réduction qui a été faite de celle-ci en la ramenant de 7 500 $ par mois à 6 500 $ par mois lorsque la pensionde M. Vaughan serait répartie. Ils ne contiennent pas, toutefois, une conclusion sur la question de savoir s’il était approprié d’attribuer un revenu à Mme Campbell au
titre de l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux. Dans ses motifs, la Cour tranche les questions soulevées parM. Vaughan dans son appel, dont aucune ne sollicitait le règlement de ce point. [17] La question de savoir si un revenu devait être attribué à Mme Campbell en raison du fait que sapart de l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux n’était pas utilisée raisonnablement afin de produire un revenu n’a été tranchée ni au procèssur la requête en divorce ni en appel, que ce soit sur le fondement de l’arrêt Boston ou sur un autre fondement.
Même si l’une ou l’autredes décisions susmentionnées avait contenu une telle conclusion, la doctrine de la chose jugée n’aurait pas pour effet de préclure un règlement futur de la question à un autre moment et dans des circonstances différentes. 0} Le calcul du revenu de Mme Campbell par suited’un changement de situation peut entraîner une conclusion sur la question de savoir si elle utilise raisonnablement ses biens, à un
moment donné, afin de gagner un revenu, tel qu’il est envisagé à l’ alinéa 19(1)
e) des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants et conformément aux principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Boston . Aucune source jurisprudentielle ayant un effet contraire n’a été présentée à la Cour. Certes, les tribunaux devraient s’efforcer, même après avoir conclu qu’il y a eu un changement de situation, d’éviter de réexaminer des questions et de limiter les motions en modification aux questions qui sont soulevées de manière appropriée en raison du changement de situation ( L.M.P. c. L.S . , 2011 CSC 64 , [2011] 3 R.C.S. 775 , aux par. 47 à 50 ; Black c.
Black , 2015 NBCA 63 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 235 (QL) , au par 15 ; Delichte c. Rogers , 2013 MBCA 106 , [2013] M.J. No. 404 (QL) , au par. 71 ; I.P. c. J.S.P. , 2010 BCSC 1112 , [2010] B.C.J. No. 1570 (QL) , au par. 32 ); toutefois, c’est à bon droit que la juge saisie de la motion a déterminé le revenu des parties dans les circonstances qui lui étaient présentées. {0> This included a determination of Mr. Vaughan’s request to have income imputed to Ms. Campbell on the basis that she possessed property that was not reasonably utilized to generate income. <}0{> Elle pouvait donc régler la demande de M.
Vaughan afin qu’un revenu soit attribué à M me Campbell pour le motif qu’elle était propriétaire de biens qu’elle n’utilisait pas raisonnablement afin de gagner un revenu. [18] Pour conclure, la doctrine de la chose jugée n’avait pas pour effet d’empêcher la juge saisie de la motion de trancher la demande de M. Vaughan afin que soit attribué à M me Campbell un revenu au
titre des placements qu’elle avait acquis par suite de la répartition des biens matrimoniaux. Je mentionnerais que la doctrine de la chose jugée aurait dû être soulevée en premier lieu devant la juge saisie de la motion et que le dossier n’indique rien de la sorte. C. Traitement différent des parties dans la répartition d’une pension [19] Ce que M me Campbell considère injuste au sujet de la décision de la juge saisie de la motion de lui attribuer un revenu est clair.
Elle prétend que la juge [TRADUCTION] « n’aurait pas dû » lui attribuer un revenu résultant de sa part de l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux tout en retranchant du revenu de M. Vaughan la part qui revenait à celui-ci sur les mêmes biens. Subsidiairement, elle affirme que s’il est approprié de lui attribuer un revenu, la juge saisie de la motion aurait dû, dans la même veine, inclure le revenu de pension de M. Vaughan et, en outre, attribuer à celui-ci un revenu provenant de ses REER.
Quoi qu’il en soit, elle soutient que la juge saisie de la motion n’aurait pas dû traiter de manière différente les biens matrimoniaux répartis entre les parties. Elle fait valoir que cela est non seulement injuste, mais, de plus, que cela a pour effet de réduire sa demande compensatoire en matière de pension alimentaire. [20] Ce qui est moins clair, toutefois, est la prétention de M me Campbell selon laquelle la juge saisie de la motion a commis, dans l’analyse qu’elle a faite afin de déterminer le revenu de chaque partie, une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision.
M me Campbell reconnaît d’emblée que le droit n’exige pas que l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux des parties soit traitée de la même manière ou qu’il en soit tenu compte de la même manière au moment de fixer le montant de la pension alimentaire. Par ailleurs, elle ne cerne pas en tant que tel une erreur de droit ou de principe de la part de la juge saisie de la motion, ni une erreur importante dans l’appréciation de la preuve.
Elle soutient uniquement que, dans les circonstances, la juge saisie de la motion aurait dû traiter de la même manière l’égalisation faite des biens matrimoniaux des parties lorsqu’elle a déterminé leurs revenus en vue d’établir le montant des aliments. Elle laisse entendre que le fait même de traiter de manière différente pour chaque
partie l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux des parties témoigne d’une erreur. Il est possible de résumer la position de M me Campbell comme suit : la décision de la juge saisie de la motion est « manifestement erronée », du fait que l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux des parties a été traitée différemment dans le cas de chacune d’elles. [21] Il n’est pas étonnant qu’elle ait reconnu que le droit n’exige pas qu’il soit tenu compte de la même manière de l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux lorsqu’il s’agit de déterminer le revenu afin d’établir le montant de la pension alimentaire au profit d’un époux.
Dans l’arrêt Boston , l’arrêt clé sur la question de la « double ponction » et sur l’utilisation de l’égalisation des biens matrimoniaux afin de déterminer la pension alimentaire au profit d’un époux, c’est la conclusion qu’a tirée la Cour, même si elle était saisie de faits différents. C’est aussi le résultat qui a été obtenu dans un certain nombre d’autres décisions publiées, notamment Pettigrew c. Pettigrew , 2005 NSSC 219 , [2005] N.S.J. No. 616 (QL) (confirmé à 2006 NSCA 98 , [2006] N.S.J. No. 321 (QL) ).
Les arrêts Boston et Pettigrew sont les seuls qui ont été présentés en appel sur ce point. [22] Dans ses motifs, la juge saisie de la motion a mentionné et Boston et Pettigrew . Se fondant sur l’arrêt Boston, elle a exclu le revenu de pension de M. Vaughan du calcul de son revenu afin d’établir la pension alimentaire de 2013, pour le motif que la pension avait été répartie en 2012. Comme il a déjà été mentionné, M me Campbell ne conteste pas la décision sur ce point (si ce n’est pour dire que la pension devrait être traitée de la même manière en ce qui la concerne).
En effet, c’est pourquoi M me Campbell n’a pas, à l’audition de la motion, demandé des aliments établis en fonction de la pension de M. Vaughan. [23] Après avoir déterminé le revenu de M. Vaughan, la juge saisie de la motion s’est penchée sur le revenu de M me Campbell pour le calcul de la pension alimentaire. Ce faisant, elle a examiné la question de savoir s’il était approprié d’attribuer un revenu à M me Campbell du fait qu’elle n’utilisait pas raisonnablement [TRADUCTION] « l’égalisation des biens afin de
gagner » un revenu. En isolant la question en litige, ainsi que le droit et les principes applicables à l’obligation d’un conjoint bénéficiaire d’utiliser l’égalisation des biens afin de gagner un revenu, la juge a dit ce qui suit, en citant notamment l’arrêt Boston : [TRADUCTION] En ce qui concerne l’obligation du conjoint bénéficiaire d’utiliser les biens d’égalisation pour en tirer un revenu, la Cour a examiné cette question aux paragraphes 54 à 60, qui sont ainsi rédigés : 54 Je suis d’accord avec les motifs du juge Czutrin dans Shadbolt et les commentaires du professeur McLeod en annotation à l’affaire .
Quand on applique à une pension de retraite la méthode de la somme globale, le conjoint participant (en l’espèce le mari) doit transférer des biens actuels au conjoint bénéficiaire (en l’espèce la femme) afin d’égaliser les biens matrimoniaux . [La femme peut utiliser ces biens immédiatement.] Conformément à une ordonnance ou entente alimentaire compensatoire, la femme a l’obligation d’utiliser ces biens de manière à produire un revenu .
Il n’est pas nécessaire qu’elle investisse les biens d’égalisation dès qu’elle les reçoit; toutefois, elle doit s’en servir afin de produire un revenu quand le conjoint participant prend sa retraite . L’idéal serait que le conjoint bénéficiaire produise à même ses biens en capital un revenu ou des économies qui soient suffisants pour égaler le revenu de pension de retraite du conjoint débiteur .
Quoi qu’il en soit, le conjoint bénéficiaire doit se servir des biens reçus à l’égalisation pour créer une « pension de retraite » en vue de subvenir à ses besoins . 55 Cette exigence repose sur le principe selon lequel, dans la mesure où c’est raisonnable, le conjoint bénéficiaire devrait essayer de parvenir à l’autonomie financière . L’autonomie n’est qu’un des nombreux facteurs qui sont évalués .
Manifestement, dans la majorité des affaires touchant des mariages à long terme, l’objectif de l’autonomie demeure incontestablement difficile à atteindre, en particulier pour les conjoints qui sont restés à la maison pendant le mariage . L’autonomie sera rarement réalisable en grande
partie à cause des effets résiduels que comporte le fait de se trouver en dehors du marché du travail pendant une période prolongée . En outre, il faut tenir compte de certains facteurs comme l’âge, les études et les responsabilités parentales .
Par conséquent, il est souvent déraisonnable de s’attendre à ce que le conjoint bénéficiaire gagne un revenu d’emploi après une séparation ou un divorce . 56 Toutefois, lorsque le conjoint bénéficiaire reçoit des biens à l’égalisation en échange d’une part du droit à pension de son ex-conjoint, elle doit se servir de ces biens pour tenter raisonnablement de produire un revenu du moins au plus tard lorsque la pension de retraite commence à être versée . La raison de cette exigence est claire .
Le conjoint bénéficiaire ne peut pas mettre de côté les biens qu’elle a obtenus à l’égalisation et choisir plutôt de vivre de la liquidation de la pension de retraite du conjoint débiteur quand il prend sa retraite . Si elle était autorisée à le faire, elle accumulerait un patrimoine tandis que le conjoint débiteur liquiderait le sien . […] [par. 60] [24] En donnant les motifs pour lesquels elle concluait qu’il était approprié d’attribuer à M me Campbell un revenu au
titre de ses « biens d’égalisation », la juge saisie de la motion a dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Par ailleurs, M me Campbell ne saurait conserver des biens d’une valeur de plus d’un demi-million de dollars sans leur faire produire un revenu . Bien qu’il soit peu probable qu’elle prenne un emploi étant donné qu’elle a été longtemps absente de la population active, elle a néanmoins l’obligation d’essayer de parvenir à l’autonomie financière . En n’utilisant pas ces ressources pour en tirer un revenu, elle n’utilise pas raisonnablement ses biens pour gagner un revenu, ce qui est contraire à l’ alinéa 19(1)
e) des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 . M me Campbell est âgée de soixante-deux ans; or bien des gens de son âge ont pris leur retraite et puisent dans leurs REER et leurs investissements . Je me rends bien compte que ces sommes sont celles que M me Campbell devra utiliser à l’avenir pour subvenir à ses besoins . Certaines personnes qui en sont à la même étape de leur vie commencent à utiliser le capital et à tirer un revenu des ressources qu’ils possèdent pour subvenir à leurs besoins .
Il s’ensuit que je vais attribuer à M me Campbell un revenu annuel de 20 000 $ provenant des biens qu’elle détient . De plus, pendant l’année 2013, M me Campbell a touché des prestations du RPC de 4 191,72 $ . Ce montant devrait aussi être utilisé comme source de revenu pour les fins du calcul des aliments qui lui sont payables . [par. 64] [25] Ainsi qu’il a déjà été mentionné, M me Campbell ne souligne aucune erreur de droit ou de principe et elle ne soutient pas non plus qu’il y a eu une erreur importante dans l’appréciation des faits.
Malgré cela, elle demande l’annulation de la décision en se fondant sur sa prétention selon laquelle la juge saisie de la motion n’aurait pas dû traiter de manière différente pour chaque
partie la part qui revenait à chacune d’elles de la pension et des REER. Elle prétend que la nécessité de traiter ces biens [TRADUCTION] « de manière semblable » est si importante qu’elle est essentiellement déterminante pour la question de savoir si un revenu pouvait être attribué. Elle n’a pas offert de sources jurisprudentielles à l’appui de cette position.
Cela dit, je reconnais que le droit établi dans l’arrêt Boston s’harmonise avec l’affirmation voulant que, en règle générale et lorsque tous les autres facteurs sont égaux, les biens matrimoniaux de cette nature qui ont fait l’objet d’une égalisation devraient avoir la même incidence sur la situation à la fois du conjoint débiteur que du conjoint bénéficiaire dans le calcul de la pension alimentaire. Les principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Boston reflètent cette conclusion. Dans l’arrêt Yemchuk c. Yemchuk , 2005 BCCA 406 , [2005] B.C.J.
No. 1748 (QL) , la juge Prowse a elle aussi adopté une solution semblable lorsqu’elle a dit :
[TRADUCTION] Après avoir examiné cette question, je conclus que le revenu de pension de M. Yemchuk devrait être traité de la même manière entre les mains des deux parties. Soit ce revenu de pension devrait être inclus dans le revenu, parce qu’il s’agit effectivement d’une source de revenu entre les mains des parties, soit il devrait être exclu du revenu des deux parties du fait qu’il avait déjà été réparti entre elles à
titre de bien matrimonial. Dans les circonstances, je suis convaincue qu’il devrait être inclus comme revenu pour les deux parties, étant donné que cette solution concorde avec certaines réalités pratiques. Je ne crois pas que cette solution résulte en une « double ponction », selon la manière dont ce concept a été abordé dans l’arrêt clé que constitue Boston c. Boston , 2001 CSC 43 , [2001] 2 R.C.S. 413 . [par. 57] Toutefois, une telle proposition ne saurait supplanter ou dominer l’analyse des facteurs et des objectifs qui doivent être pris en considération et soupesés par un juge afin de rendre une ordonnance alimentaire appropriée, comme l’exige la
Loi sur le divorce . Essentiellement, M me Campbell prétend que le traitement égal des biens en cause est d’une importance si grande que la juge saisie de la motion a manifestement commis une erreur en les traitant autrement que de manière égale pour chacune des parties, et elle demande à notre Cour de soupeser à nouveau la preuve afin d’obtenir ce résultat égal. Dans les circonstances, cette façon d’aborder la question ne tient pas compte de l’obligation imposée aux juges de procès par la
Loi sur le divorce ni du pouvoir discrétionnaire que cette dernière leur accorde.
Par ailleurs, cette solution va à l’encontre de la norme applicable de contrôle. [26] Quoique l’on puisse discuter longuement des questions qui peuvent surgir dans la détermination du revenu compte tenu d’une égalisation des biens matrimoniaux, notamment les questions ayant trait à l’attribution d’un revenu, à la « double ponction » et à l’objectif d’autonomie financière, étant donné le cadre très limité dans lequel s’inscrit le présent appel et dans lequel ont été débattues les questions soumises à la Cour, il n’est ni nécessaire ni approprié d’examiner plus longuement le droit et les principes pertinents. [27] La juge saisie de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur de droit ou d’erreur de principe.
Elle n’a pas mal apprécié les faits. Compte tenu des circonstances présentées à la juge saisie de la motion, je ne suis pas convaincu qu’elle ait eu manifestement tort. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. D. Attribution d’un revenu en intérêts sans la preuve d’un taux d’intérêt approprié [28] S’agissant de ce moyen d’appel, M me Campbell formule la question de manière trop étroite. Elle fait remarquer, avec raison, que dans ses motifs la juge saisie de la motion n’a pas expliqué pourquoi elle a conclu que la somme de 20 000 $ constituait le montant approprié de revenu attribué.
Toutefois, sa prétention selon laquelle la juge saisie de la motion a attribué « un revenu en intérêts » se montant à 20 000 $ sur ses placements de 500 000 $, ce qu’elle aurait fait en appliquant un taux d’intérêt de 4 %, n’est pas appuyée par le dossier. Dans son avis d’appel additionnel, M me Campbell dit ce qui suit : […] [TRADUCTION] c.
L’éminente juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur de droit en attribuant un revenu en intérêts sans preuve actuarielle. […] Dans ses observations écrites, elle a dit : [TRADUCTION] L’éminente juge ne disposait d’aucun élément de preuve concernant le revenu en intérêts qui devrait être attribué à l’appelante en raison de ses placements. Toutefois, elle semble avoir appliqué un taux de 4 %.
Sans l’avantage d’une preuve sur le taux d’intérêt approprié, l’éminente juge n’aurait pas dû attribuer à l’appelante un revenu sur ses placements et elle aurait dû laisser hors du calcul la pension du service militaire de l’intimé.
[par. 23 et 24] À l’appui de cette prétention, elle mentionne les observations suivantes faites dans l’arrêt Boston (par. 66) : Enfin, si le conjoint bénéficiaire obtient des biens en échange d’une part de la valeur capitalisée de la pension de retraite de l’autre conjoint et qu’elle n’investit pas ces biens afin d’essayer de produire un revenu, le tribunal devrait imputer un revenu au conjoint bénéficiaire en fonction de ce que ces biens auraient pu raisonnablement produire s’ils avaient été investis.
Cette imputation de revenu ne devrait pas se fonder sur des présomptions artificielles, mais sur des conseils actuariels professionnels . [C’est M me Campbell qui souligne.] [29] Le dossier n’appuie pas la prétention de M me Campbell selon laquelle la juge saisie de la motion doit avoir imputé un « revenu en intérêts » et qu’elle a procédé ainsi sans disposer d’une preuve appropriée. Dans son affidavit, M. Vaughan mentionne sa demande voulant qu’un revenu de 20 000 $ soit imputé à M me Campbell, cette somme étant établie d’après ce que lui estimait qu’elle pourrait recevoir de sa part de la pension.
Ce montant correspond à peu près à celui que M. Vaughan a reçu après la répartition de sa pension. [30] Même si le caractère suffisant des motifs n’a pas été soulevé en l’espèce, il est utile de tenir compte de la démarche à suivre lorsqu’on est saisi de motifs qui peuvent ne pas expliquer clairement la décision qui a été rendue. Dans l’arrêt P.R.H. c. M.E.L. , 2009 NBCA 18 , 343 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 100 , la juge d’appel Larlee a passé en revue diverses décisions portant sur cette question et elle a affirmé ce qui suit : Dans l’arrêt R. c.
Walker , [2008] A.C.S. n o 34 (QL) , 2008 CSC 34 , la Cour a insisté sur le fait que les parties ont le droit de savoir pourquoi le juge en est arrivé à sa décision et que les motifs donnés doivent être suffisants pour permettre une révision en appel. Toutefois, le tribunal d’appel n’est pas habilité à intervenir simplement parce qu’il estime que le tribunal de première instance s’est mal exprimé. La Cour a statué que les motifs sont suffisants s’ils répondent aux questions en litige et aux principaux arguments des parties.
Leur suffisance doit être mesurée d’après la réponse qu’ils apportent aux éléments essentiels du litige. Les questions en litige doivent être examinées et tranchées et le fondement de la décision doit être clair. La décision la plus récente de la Cour suprême concernant la question des motifs de jugement suffisants est l’arrêt R. c. R.E.M. , [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3 , [2008] A.C.S. n o 52 (QL) , 2008 CSC 51 , dans lequel la juge McLachlin, juge en chef du Canada, préconise une démarche fonctionnelle et contextuelle pour l’appréciation du caractère suffisant des motifs.
Le tribunal d’appel qui examine les motifs pour déterminer s’ils sont suffisants doit les considérer globalement, dans le contexte de la preuve présentée, des arguments invoqués et du procès, en tenant compte des buts ou des fonctions de l’expression des motifs. Les motifs ont pour fonction de dire aux parties visées pourquoi la décision a été prise, de rendre compte devant le public et de permettre un examen efficace en appel. Les motifs doivent indiquer le raisonnement que le juge a suivi à partir de la preuve pour en arriver aux conclusions factuelles puis aux conclusions de droit.
Notre Cour a suivi cette démarche dans l’arrêt Nouveau-Brunswick (ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires) c. T.L.M. (tutrice d’instance de), [2009] A.N.-B. n o 19 (QL) , 2009 NBCA 8 , où le juge d’appel Richard examine la question des principes régissant le caractère suffisant ou non des motifs qui sont applicables en matière de protection de l’enfance. [par. 12 et 13] [31] L’affidavit présenté par M me Campbell à l’appui de sa motion était très bref et portait surtout sur le revenu de M. Vaughan. Les affidavits de M.
Vaughan portaient sur son revenu, ses circonstances d’emploi, ses projets de départ à la retraite, ses problèmes de santé (avec preuve médicale à l’appui) et sur sa position à l’égard du revenu de M me Campbell, entre autres choses. S’agissant de sa demande afin qu’un revenu de 20 000 $ soit attribué à M me Campbell et de la raison pour laquelle il formulait cette demande, M. Vaughan affirme ce qui suit dans son affidavit : [TRADUCTION] Mon revenu d’emploi pour l’année 2014 se monte à 184 489 $, ce qui comprend un salaire de 155 000 $, des primes de 19 950 $ et des avantages imposables.
La somme de 28 000 $ que nous recevions comme pension a été portée à environ 40 000 $ lorsque j’ai atteint l’âge de 60 ans, et Amanda et moi avons partagé cette somme afin d’obtenir environ 20 000 $ chacun , donc cette somme ne devrait pas faire l’objet d’une répartition .
Annexée aux présentes et constituant la pièce « C » est une deuxième lettre envoyée à Sheila Cameron, c.r., le 8 octobre 2014, qui indique qu’en ce qui concerne la pension du service militaire, celle-ci a été ramenée à 801 $ à partir du mois d’octobre 2014, toutefois, cette réduction a été appliquée de façon rétroactive à la date du divorce et, par conséquent, M. Vaughan doit rembourser la somme de 5 353,84 $ constituant le paiement excédentaire de la pension du service militaire, dont le relevé constitue la pièce « D ».
[…] Mon épouse obtient actuellement la somme de 6 500 $ par mois à
titre de pension alimentaire que je lui verse, et elle a reçu des REER de299 728 $ par suite de la répartition de la pension, toutefois, elle n’a retiré aucune somme sur cette pension, selon son état financier,donc la somme de 20 000 $ devrait lui être attribuée comme revenu dans le calcul de ses besoins. Lorsque nous étions ensemble, mon épouse et moi avons discuté de la possibilité que je prenne ma retraite à l’âge de 60 ou de 61 ans.Après le départ de mon épouse, celle-ci voulait que je continue de travailler le plus longtemps possible.
La question était celle de savoir àquel moment je prendrais ma retraite et maintenant que j’ai donné à mon employeur un avis de mon intention de prendre ma retraite, il yaura une baisse soudaine de revenu pour moi-même et pour mon épouse. Cette possibilité était assez évidente, étant donné que j’aiactuellement 63 ans, et que nous avions discuté d’une retraite anticipée lorsque nous vivions ensemble. La deuxième pension que jereçois est celle au
titre d’une invalidité attribuable à mon service militaire. J’ai subi des dommages à la colonne vertébrale et j’ai aussides troubles auditifs pour lesquels je porte une prothèse auditive afin de pouvoir bien entendre. Mon épouse obtient une part de cettepension. La première chose que je constate en examinant l’état financier de mon épouse est qu’elle a acheté un condominium pour la somme de355 000 $ et pour lequel elle a obtenu un prêt hypothécaire de 326 753 $.
Cela m’apparaît un prêt hypothécaire plutôt élevé pour unerésidence, compte tenu du fait qu’il était prévisible que la pension alimentaire ordinaire prendrait fin dans un délai assez rapproché. Mamaison (celle dont nous étions tous les deux propriétaires) est évaluée à 260 000 $. J’ai donné à mon épouse des REER s’élevant à210 000 $ et la somme de 299 728 $ prise sur ma pension de service militaire, ce qui lui a assuré un fonds de plus d’un demi-million de dollars. Les mêmes montants de REER sont indiqués dans l’état financier de Mme Vaughan daté du 9 mai 2012, annexé aux présentes etconstituant la pièce « N ».
Ou bien les montants sont demeurés les mêmes pendant trois ans, ou bien le montant de ses REER a changé,mais nous ne savons pas s’il a changé. Il y a lieu de mentionner surtout qu’elle a retiré la somme de 10 000 $ de ses REER en 2013.[par. 10, 25 à 27] [Je souligne.] [32] En l’absence d’une explication au sujet du montant attribué, il n’est pas tout à fait déraisonnable pour Mme Campbell de se poser la question de savoir si la juge saisie de la motion a attribué un revenu en intérêts. En effet, lorsque lacour attribue un revenu au
titre d’un fonds qu’elle estime être sous-exploité, il n’est pas inhabituel qu’elle attribue un montant équivalantaux intérêts qui, selon la preuve, pourraient être gagnés; toutefois, la juge saisie de la motion n’a pas indiqué une intention de procéderainsi et, compte tenu des questions et de la preuve qui lui ont été soumises, il est peu probable qu’elle ait procédé ainsi, d’autant plusqu’aucune demande à cet effet ne lui avait été faite et qu’elle ne disposait d’aucune preuve à l’égard d’une telle demande. [33] Compte tenu des questions et de la preuve qui ont été soumises à la juge saisie de la motion, jeconclus que, après avoir tranché la question très contestée de savoir s’il était approprié d’attribuer un revenu, elle a réglé la question dumontant en attribuant la somme de 20 000 $ demandée par M.
Vaughan et, pour ce faire, elle s’est fondée sur les explications de celui-ci. Rien n’indique dans le dossier qui nous a été présenté que lui ou Mme Campbell aient mentionné un autre montant. Il n’y avait aucunepreuve relative à un autre fondement approprié ou rationnel pour l’attribution d’un montant différent. Le dossier me convainc que, danssa décision, la juge saisie de la motion répondait à la demande de M. Vaughan et à la preuve présentée par celui-ci. [34] La prochaine question est celle de savoir si la preuve présentée par M.
Vaughan est susceptiblede répondre au critère de « fondement rationnel » pour attribuer un montant. Dans l’arrêt Chiasson c. Doucet, 2014 NBCA 49, 422 R.N.- B. (2e) 304, notre Cour a récemment réitéré l’importance de s’appuyer sur un « fondement rationnel » (par. 9) pour l’attribution d’unrevenu. Les tribunaux ont souvent recours aux observations de la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario dans l’affaire A.M.D. c. A.J.P., (ON CA), [2002] O.J. No. 3731 (C.A.) (QL), lorsqu’ils énoncent les conditions relatives à l’attribution d’un revenu.
Voici unextrait de cette décision : [TRADUCTION]L’article 19 des Lignes directrices ne donne pas au juge la latitude de choisir arbitrairement le montant à attribuer à
titre de revenu. Ilfaut que le montant fixé repose sur un fondement rationnel. L’exercice du pouvoir d’appréciation souveraine du juge en la matière doits’appuyer sur des preuves. [par. 44] (Voir aussi LeBlanc c. LeBlanc, 2013 NBCA 22, 401 R.N.-B. (2e) 334; Pollock c. Rioux, 2004 NBCA 98, 278 R.N.-B. (2e) 351; et Trevors c. Jenkins, 2011 NBCA 61, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 293).
[35] L’argument offert à l’appui de la demande de M. Vaughan afin que la somme de 20 000 $ soit attribuée à M me Campbell était que cela constituait la part que lui-même avait reçue de la répartition de la pension et, selon lui, M me Campbell devrait aussi être en mesure de recevoir un montant semblable. À mon avis, particulièrement en l’absence de toute preuve à l’effet contraire, cet argument constitue un fondement suffisamment rationnel pour attribuer la somme de 20 000 $ demandée par M. Vaughan. En effet, cette somme représente le revenu produit par environ 60 % des 500 000 $ qui ne sont pas utilisés raisonnablement par M me Campbell afi