2020 NBCA 52, 2020 NBCA 52
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK MURIELLE McINTYRE APPELLANT 74-19-CA MURIELLE McINTYRE APPELANTE - and - - et - KAREN MATTHEWS RESPONDENT KAREN MATTHEWS INTIMÉE McIntyre v. Matthews, 2020 NBCA 52 McIntyre c.
Matthews, 2020 NBCA 52 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: June 20, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 20 juin 2019 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2019 NBQB 127 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBQB 127 , 2019 NBBR 127 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: May 21, 2020 Judgment rendered: July 30, 2020 Appel entendu : le 21 mai 2020 Jugement rendu : le 30 juillet 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Counsel at hearing: For the Appellant: Hélène L. Beaulieu, Q.C For the Respondent: Gaétan Migneault Motifs de jugement: l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Hélène L. Beaulieu, c.r.
Pour l’intimée : Gaétan Migneault THE COURT The appeal is allowed in part to change the Cox v. Carter order. In all other respects, the appeal is dismissed with costs of $4,000. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli en
partie pour modifier l’ordonnance de type Cox c. Carter . À tous les autres égards, l’appel est rejeté avec dépens, lesquels sont fixés à 4 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I. Overview
[ 1 ] Murielle McIntyre was the at-fault driver with respect to a motor vehicle accident which occurred on February 1, 2011. The action against her was commenced one year later, but Ms. McIntyre did not admit liability until five years after the action was filed. [ 2 ] Karen Matthews sustained injuries as a result of the accident. She had pre-existing chronic pain, which had been afflicting her since a workplace injury dating back to 2003. In addition to the accident-related injuries, her pre-existing chronic pain was aggravated.
The crux of the debate before the trial judge related to the assessment of her damages. That debate was fuelled largely by assertions from Ms. McIntyre that Ms. Matthews lacked credibility with respect to her description of her accident-related injuries, as well as her complaints. Because of her pre-existing injury, legal causation was a significant issue. In essence, the parties were diametrically opposed as to whether Ms. Matthews was a “thin skull” or “crumbling skull” plaintiff. This impasse required a 15-day trial to resolve. [ 3 ] The trial judge found Ms. Matthews credible.
He held she was not a malingerer and found her to be “[…] an impressive plaintiff who was genuinely injured in the accident and as a result of those injuries has been unable to return to the work force” (para. 7). [ 4 ] He awarded her the following damages: Non-pecuniary general damages $75,000.00 Past loss of income $111,264.65 Interest on past loss of income $17,246.02 Future loss of income $218,413.32 Past cost of medication $18,676.18 Interest on past cost of medication $11,555.89 Future cost of medication $135,761.46 Future psychotherapy treatment $ 1,800.00 Past loss of valuable services $12,270.00 Interest on past loss of valuable services $1,920.86 Future loss of valuable services $25,069.20 Total claim $628,977.58 plus costs and disbursements [ 5 ] He then made a Cox v.
Carter order in favour of Ms. McIntyre. The order provided that all
Section B weekly indemnity benefits for loss of income already received, or yet to be received, by Ms. Matthews, commencing December 3, 2018, were to be held in trust and paid to Ms. McIntyre, but only up to the amount he awarded for future loss of income.
[ 6 ] Ms. McIntyre has appealed the terms of the Cox v. Carter order and has raised six additional grounds of appeal arguing the judge erred in his
interpretation of the evidence and in his award of damages, primarily by failing to find Ms. Matthews was a crumbling skull plaintiff. She submits he further erred in not making the required apportionment of damages by deducting damages attributable to the pre-existing condition. [ 7 ] The judge’s findings of fact, in light of the defences raised, are subject to a high level of deference on appellate review.
I would dismiss the appeal on all grounds which are subject to that standard. [ 8 ] For the following reasons, I would dismiss the appeal and confirm the trial judge’s award, except with respect to the terms of the Cox v. Carter order. I would allow the appeal on that ground only, so that future
Section B weekly indemnity benefits be applied against the entire award of damages for purposes of the trust in favour of Ms. McIntyre and not solely against the award for future loss of income. II. Factual Context [ 9 ] Ms. McIntyre’s allegations that Ms. Matthews lacks credibility and is malingering require the salient facts supporting that position be set out in some detail, together with their assessment by the judge. These assertions feed into the issue of causation, which a judge must determine before assessing damages.
It is important to fully set out the critical findings which we are asked to review. [ 10 ] At the time of the accident, Ms. Matthews was 48 years of age. Her education is limited to a grade nine level. She lived with her husband, a disabled war veteran. As of the date of the accident, her son, his girlfriend and two young children also lived with her in a house she was renting at the time. The financial constraints which resulted from the accident forced the family unit to move to a smaller apartment. By the time of trial, they had again moved into a rented triplex which provided more room. [ 11 ] Ms.
Matthews’ employment history, beginning in the early 2000s, was as a full-time care provider at a nursing home. In a number of respects, this was physically demanding work. Indeed, it was while transferring a resident, early in 2003, that Ms. Matthews sustained a workplace injury to her lower back, upper shoulder blades, right arm and neck. She was placed off work for approximately three months and received benefits from WorkSafeNB.
She then returned to work at the same location for six months while continuing to take strong, pain-relieving, opiate medication. [ 12 ] The physical demands of the job proved too much for her, notwithstanding the pain relief she obtained from the medication. As a result, she secured less physically demanding work as an assistant manager at a restaurant. She worked there for two years, up to 50 to 55 hours per week.
She left that position to work at a bakery which is where she was working, on a full-time basis, at the time of the accident. [ 13 ] For approximately eight years between the time she returned to work following the workplace incident to the date of the accident, Ms. Matthews continued to suffer from chronic pain but was able to continue working full-time, with the assistance of the medication, except for brief absences due to flare-ups. [ 14 ] The trial judge found “[…] despite the chronic pain she continued to suffer following the work-related accident, Ms.
Matthews pushed herself to maintain full-time employment in fairly physically demanding jobs. She was not only the primary care provider to her family but also a significant financial provider”. The judge was of the view her efforts had been “[…] not only commendable but frankly, quite impressive” (para. 13). [ 15 ] Ms.
Matthews testified that, prior to the accident, she was “[…] able to go to work on a daily basis and it was fine.” She was also able to do her housekeeping chores, including caring for her family and disabled husband. [ 16 ] As a result of the accident, her chronic pain condition was significantly exacerbated. In addition to neck pain, she also had bouts of dizziness. Her family physician, Dr. William Fitch, who had been her physician since 1987, diagnosed a cervical strain, a shoulder sprain and post-concussion syndrome. Additional medication was prescribed to be taken with the pre-accident
medication when Ms. Matthews suffered from “breakthrough” pain. She was also referred to physiotherapy. WorkSafeNB continued to cover the cost of all treatment. [ 17 ] In August 2012, WorkSafeNB decided to stop covering the cost of the additional medication prescribed after the accident and, in March 2013, it ended coverage for the cost of the pre-accident medications on the basis of its determination that none of them were required any further as a result of the workplace injury. No appeal was taken of these decisions. [ 18 ] The judge was highly complimentary of, and very impressed with, the quality of Dr.
Fitch’s records regarding Ms. Matthews and the strength of his testimony at trial. He found Ms. Matthews’ chart to be detailed, comprehensive and complete. [ 19 ] Early on in Dr. Fitch’s treatment of Ms. Matthews’ accident-related injuries, and while he was continuing to treat her for the workplace injury, he sent WorkSafeNB a progress report dated February 22, 2011. In this report he advised that the accident-related injuries were a significant, complicating, factor to the pre-existing chronic pain related to the workplace injury. [ 20 ] The evidence established Ms.
Matthews’ increased symptoms continued and indeed worsened over time. Depression set in for which Dr. Fitch prescribed Celexa. In November 2013, he diagnosed Ms. Matthews with an “adjustment disorder” and “anxiety overlaying the depression”. None of the multidisciplinary treatments she had undergone under the auspices of WorkSafeNB had provided any benefit. Her diminished physical functioning did not improve and became progressively worse. [ 21 ] In a report dated December 12, 2013, Dr. Fitch summarized the accident-related injuries as consisting of a concussion and flexion-extension injury to the cervical spine.
He noted she had exacerbated her pre-existing chronic pain syndrome and had developed an adjustment disorder with depressed mood. He was of the opinion she would be unable to do any work for which she might be qualified. He attributed all of this to the accident. [ 22 ] The judge noted and accepted Dr. Fitch’s evidence relating to the devastating impact Ms. Matthews’ pain had on her life which, in his experience, is typical of patients who find themselves in similar situations.
The main impact is the loss of function with associated inability to work or do most of life’s everyday activities. [ 23 ] While chronic pain symptoms are largely based on subjective reporting, Dr. Fitch testified these reports can be tested against objective functional assessments. As I will discuss later, Ms. Matthews underwent functional capacity testing and vocational evaluations, the results of which were largely consistent with her subjective complaints. [ 24 ] This is what led Dr. Fitch to testify Ms.
Matthews was genuine in her self-reporting and not malingering or embellishing for secondary gain. [ 25 ] The judge had no hesitation in fully accepting the evidence of Dr. Fitch. He found him to be fair, objective, and not advancing any particular agenda or bias in favour of his patient. To the extent Dr. Fitch’s opinion differed from those of any other expert involved in treating or assessing Ms. Matthews, the judge chose to prefer the opinion of Dr. Fitch. He set out his reasons for doing so, some of which I have already noted. Essentially, the judge found no one was more familiar with Ms.
Matthews’ medical history than Dr. Fitch, who had followed her for 30 years. Moreover, no medical expert was called by Ms. McIntyre to challenge Dr. Fitch’s opinion. [ 26 ] The judge then proceeded to assess general damages for pain and suffering and loss of the amenities of life at $75,000. He did this while mindful of the chronic pre-existing condition. [ 27 ] He proceeded to assess Ms. Matthews’ past loss of income, net of all
Section B weekly indemnity benefits paid to the date of trial and net of all applicable income tax and employment insurance benefits received. That loss came to $111,264.65. Interest on this past loss was awarded at the conservative rate of 2% per annum, which amounted to $17,246.02. [ 28 ] With respect to future loss of income, the judge accepted the evidence that Ms. Matthews’ physical and mental status would not sufficiently improve to the point where one could reasonably expect she might ever return to work. He found that, but for the accident, she would have continued to work to age 65. He accepted the conservative actuarial calculations presented at trial which
were not challenged by a defence expert. He awarded future loss of income of $218,413.32. [ 29 ] While it is unclear if Ms. Matthews’ own insurer paid for any medication following the WorkSafeNB decisions,
Section B coverage under her policy expired on the four-year anniversary of the accident, namely February 1, 2015. In any event, the judge did not make any award for medication costs prior to February 15, 2015. His award under this head of damage runs from February 15, 2015 to the end of December 2018, for a total of $18,676.18. [ 30 ] Ms. Matthews was without resources to pay for her medications after February 15, 2015, and, as a result, she borrowed money from Seahold Investments Inc. to cover those costs. Seahold charged her interest of 2.4% per month (effective annual rate of 32.923%).
The money she borrowed was spread over several loans made between April 8, 2015 and October 31, 2018. The judge held it was reasonable for her to borrow the money from Seahold. There was no evidence before him of a less expensive option which might have been available. The judge further held she clearly needed the medication. He relied on the rationale of this Court in LeBlanc v.
Doucet and the New Brunswick Power Corporation , 2012 NBCA 88 , 394 N.B.R. (2d) 228 , in support of his decision. [ 31 ] With respect to the award of interest relating to the Seahold loans, the trial judge exercised his discretion under s. 45(1) of the Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2 , and awarded simple interest at half the Seahold rate from April 8, 2015, to the date of trial. That resulted in an interest award of $11,555.89. [ 32 ] Turning next to the future cost of care claim, the judge found Ms. Matthews’ prescriptions for all her medications were necessary and reasonable to alleviate her pain.
He found both Dr. Fitch and the independent assessment provided by Dr. Ken Porter supported the view Ms. Matthews’ condition was not likely to improve in the future, let alone resolve, and her requirements for treatment would remain the same. Relying on the actuarial calculations before him, the judge awarded $135,761.46 for the loss of future medications to age 85. In addition, he awarded limited future psychotherapy costs of $1,800. [ 33 ] The claim for loss of valuable services was assessed on the conservative basis of providing Ms. Matthews two hours per week of housekeeping assistance.
The past loss was calculated at $14,171.85 inclusive of interest at 2% per annum. [ 34 ] Future loss of services to age 75 was awarded in the amount of $25,069.20, again based on the actuarial evidence. III. Grounds of appeal [ 35 ] Ms. McIntyre raises seven grounds of appeal. She alleges the judge erred: 1. in law by offsetting Ms. Matthews’
Section B weekly indemnity payments strictly against the award for future loss of income as opposed to the entire award of damages, contrary to s. 263(2) of the Insurance Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-12 , and this Court’s
interpretation thereof; 2. in awarding as damages the interest paid on the Seahold loans relating to pre-trial medical expenses; 3. in holding Ms. McIntyre liable for the cost of medications previously covered by WorkSafeNB prior to its decision to terminate benefits; 4. in failing to reduce the awards for all heads of damages to account for Ms. Matthews pre-existing chronic pain condition; 5. in failing to consider the evidence of a vocational expert to determine if Ms. Matthews had any residual earning capacity;
6. in finding Ms. Matthews had no residual earning capacity given she had failed to mitigate her damages for loss of income and giventhe evidence of her own vocational expert on her employability; and 7. in preferring the evidence of Dr. Fitch over the evidence of all other experts who testified with respect to functionality and earningcapacity. IV. Standards of Review [36] The first ground raises a question of law reviewable on the standard of correctness. Ground three raises aquestion of law and one of mixed fact and law.
The other five grounds relate to either questions of mixed fact and law or the judge’sexercise of discretion, all of which are owed deference and are reviewable on the standard of palpable and overriding error. V. Analysis A. Ground one: the Cox v. Carter order [37] Ms. Matthews quickly conceded the applicable law with respect to the deductibility of
Section B weeklyindemnity benefits. They must be deducted against the entire award of all damages and not just the award for future loss of income. Thejudge clearly erred in law with respect to his application of s. 263(2) of the Insurance Act as interpreted by this Court in O’Donnell v.O’Blenis, 2004 NBCA 23, 269 N.B.R. (2d) 273, and Bent v. MacFarlane, 2018 NBCA 17, [2018] N.B.J. No. 43 (QL). I would allow thisground of appeal and amend the Cox v. Carter order so that any weekly indemnity payments received or to be received by Ms. Matthews,since the trial, are to be held in trust by her for the benefit of Ms.
McIntyre to an amount equivalent to the entire award of damages. B. Ground two: the award of interest on the Seahold loans [38] The judge’s award of interest on the Seahold loans resulted from the exercise of his discretion under s. 45 ofthe Judicature Act. This ground of appeal, as framed, assumes this interest was awarded as a head of damage. It was not. The amountawarded for the costs of medications, up to the date of trial, was awarded as a head of damage. The payments of these costs were thebasis for taking out the Seahold loans.
They are the subject of a separate debate under a different ground of appeal which I deal withbelow. [39] While the judge did somewhat conflate the issue by terming the award of interest as a head of damage (in para.67), in the end, he adopted the correct approach by exercising his discretion to award that interest in accordance with s. 45(1) of theJudicature Act. [40] The judge also appears to have relied on this Court’s decision in LeBlanc v. Doucet and NB Power, 2012NBCA 88, 394 N.B.R. (2d) 228, as authority for the award of the principal amount of the Seahold loans as well as the interest thereon.
Abrief review of that decision is warranted in terms of its applicability to the case at bar. [41] In LeBlanc, an impecunious plaintiff had taken out loans from Seahold to fund disbursements required topursue his action. He was successful at trial and all liability for the motor vehicle accident which grounded the action was attributed tothe defendants. He applied to tax his allowable disbursements under Tariff D of Rule 59. Included in his list of disbursements was anamount for the interest charged on the loans. He argued this interest should be allowed as a taxable disbursement under clause 2(14) ofTariff D.
Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was), writing for the Court, agreed the interest was a reasonable expense, necessarily incurred, asthat terminology is used in clause 2(14). [42] The case before us is somewhat different in that the interest on the Seahold loans was not dealt with as adisbursement but rather as interest which had accumulated with respect to an award of special damages, i.e. the principal amounts of theloans. The judge assessed that interest based on his discretion under s. 45(1) of the Judicature Act. This Court held in LeClerc v.
SunburyTransport Ltd. and Risteen (1996), (NB CA), 184 N.B.R. (2d) 1, [1996] N.B.J. No. 600 (C.A.) (QL), that judges arefree to select and apply the interest rate deemed appropriate and there can be no interference with that exercise of discretion unless there
has been an obvious error (para. 47). I detect no such error here. [43] As noted, and as I more fully discuss in the analysis of the third ground of appeal, to the extent the judge wasjustified in holding it was reasonable for Ms. Matthews to fund the cost of her medications with loans from Seahold, I am satisfied thejudge committed no error in awarding half the interest charges related to these loans. Indeed, that ruling was to Ms.
McIntyre’s benefit. [44] As to the merit of taking out the loans in the first place, the judge had evidence before him establishing: 1. the cost of the medications the loans would be used to pay; 2. the fact that all other sources of coverage for the medications had been exhausted; 3. Ms. Matthews had no other source of income; and 4. her car was repossessed by the bank as a result of her inability to make the monthly payments. [45] Although the loans did not square within an access to justice issue, as was the case in LeBlanc, it was clearly anecessary step for Ms.
Matthews to take so as to maintain control of her pain and not cause her claim to become even greater. [46] As part of her argument opposing this award of interest, Ms. McIntyre asserted the interest expense was notforeseeable. She also contended Ms. Matthews had failed to mitigate this loss by not bringing a motion seeking an advance payment fromMs. McIntyre to cover the cost of the medications and thus avoid needing to take out the loans in the first place.
The judge dealt withthat issue as follows: Considering the position the defendant has taken from the very outset with respect to its denial of liability to pay any damages orexpenses related to the motor vehicle accident, the plaintiff cannot be faulted for failing to pursue such an obviously contentious andlikely highly contested motion. [para. 68] [47] I agree. [48] Moreover, Rule 1.02 (proportionality) and Rule 1.03 (utilizing the least expensive and most expeditiousprocess) are further answers to Ms. McIntyre’s position. I would add that, to the extent Ms. McIntyre attempts to fault Ms.
Matthews fornot filing a motion to seek an advance payment, Ms. McIntyre can equally be faulted for not offering such a payment. I say thatparticularly where Ms. Matthews’ circumstances and impecuniosity were well known to Ms. McIntyre and, for the sake of a smallamount of money relative to what her potential exposure might be, the interest costs could have been avoided. Plaintiffs do not resort tothese types of loans unless they have no other option. That is what made the interest on the Seahold loans foreseeable as part of theclaim. [49] Finally, Ms.
McIntyre argues that public policy considerations should persuade this Court to not permitrecovery of interest on loans used to pay for medications or other forms of prescribed treatment. She says permitting this would also becontrary to the interests of justice. With respect, I disagree. As was ably put by McLachlin, C.J. (as she then was) in Tataryn v. TatarynEstate, (SCC), [1994] 2 S.C.R. 807, [1994] S.C.J.
No. 65 (QL), cited with approval in LeBlanc, courts must strive “[…]to make orders which are just in the specific circumstances and in light of contemporary standards. […] The search is for contemporaryjustice” (para. 15). [50] I would dismiss this ground of appeal.
C. Grounds three and four: award for costs of pre-accident medications and apportioning awards for all heads of damages [ 51 ] The issue of awarding damages to cover the cost of medication previously paid for by WorkSafeNB raises two inter-related questions: the first is a question of law; and the second is a question of mixed fact and law. [ 52 ] On the first question, although the judge expressed his disapproval of WorkSafeNB’s decision to terminate Ms.
Matthews’ benefits, it has the exclusive jurisdiction to determine the necessity of any drugs prescribed for workplace injuries under s. 41(3) of the Workers’ Compensation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. W-13 , and to terminate such benefits under s. 31 . In Ms. Matthews’ case, no appeal was taken of the Commission’s decision. There is no authority for the proposition that failing to appeal such a decision, in a case like this, amounts to a failure to mitigate damages.
At any rate, no error of law was made in terms of the judge’s treatment of WorkSafeNB’s decision. [ 53 ] The second question, which affects grounds three and four, relates to the attribution by the judge of all damages to the accident-related injuries. Ms. McIntyre argues the judge applied the “but for” test and found that but for the accident, Ms. Matthews would have continued to require pain medication relating to the workplace injury and WorkSafeNB would have continued to pay for it.
She refers to paras. 64 and 65 of the decision in support of this assertion. [ 54 ] However, a careful reading of these paragraphs leads to the opposite conclusion. The judge wrote that but for the accident, he “believes” it is “likely” WorkSafeNB would have continued to pay for the costs of medications. That is, at best, conjecture, but certainly not a finding of fact. In para. 65, he notes his disapproval of WorkSafeNB’s decision and then finds Ms. Matthews is entitled to compensation from Ms. McIntyre for the costs of all medications which he terms “necessary and reasonable.” [ 55 ] Ms.
McIntyre argues the “but for” test relates to causation and is applied at the determination of liability stage, not the assessment of damages stage. I agree, and, in my view, that is precisely the effect of the judge’s decision, not only with respect to the cost of medications but also with respect to all heads of damages referenced in the fourth ground of appeal. [ 56 ] While not expressly stated by the judge, his assessment is entirely consistent with the evidence in that Ms.
Matthews was a “thin skull” plaintiff and not a “crumbling skull.” This, therefore, entitled her to be fully indemnified for all of her damages by Ms. McIntyre. [ 57 ] Prior to the accident, the evidence established Ms. Matthews was fully functional provided she continued to take medication to control her pre-existing chronic pain. The judge accepted there was no evidence to indicate Ms. Matthews’ pre- accident condition was degenerative in nature. In Wallace v.
Thibodeau , 2008 NBCA 78 , 337 N.B.R. (2d) 342 , Drapeau, C.J.N.B. explained the implications of “thin skull” versus “crumbling skull” thus: Tort law remedies aim to restore victims to the position they would have been in, but for the wrong. Those remedies are not designed to “better” the victim’s original lot and both the “thin skull” and the “crumbling skull” rules are part of the judiciary's arsenal in the principled pursuit of that aim.
One of the oft-mentioned principles, “take your victim as you find him or her”, is at the root of both rules (see Mitchell McInnes, Causation in Tort Law: Back to Basics at the Supreme Court of Canada (1997) 35 Alta. L. Rev. 1013 (QL)). That principle pins liability on the wrongdoer for all of the proximate by-products of the injuries and losses he or she caused even if they turn out to be more significant than anticipated due to some abnormal feature of the victim's bodily make-up.
Put another way, the wrongdoer must answer at law for all of the injured claimant’s proximate injuries and losses even if some turn out to be more dramatic than what an average person would have experienced. As for the “crumbling skull” rule, it typically finds application where the wrong precipitates the onset of or aggravates problems associated with a degenerating condition that is unrelated to the wrong. The rule is designed to limit the wrongdoer’s liability to that part of the injury and its consequences that is attributable to the wrong (see S.M.
Waddams, The Law of Damages , 4th ed. (Toronto: Canada Law Book, 2004) at 14.570 and G.H.L. Fridman, The Law of Torts in Canada , 2nd ed. (Toronto: Carswell, 2002) at 427). This is in stark contrast with the assessment of damages in cases falling within the “thin skull” category, where full damages are awarded. [para. 47] [ 58 ] This is entirely consistent with the critical findings of fact made by the judge: In
summary, having considered all of the medical and other evidence presented in this case, and particularly Dr. Fitch's testimony, I find that as a result of the injuries she sustained in the motor vehicle accident of February 1, 2011 and the resulting chronic pain she suffers
from them and which exacerbated her previous moderate chronic pain condition, that Ms. Matthews is totally disabled from returning tothe work force and has been since the date of the motor vehicle accident. The injuries and condition also interfere significantly with andlimit her ability to perform her regular daily activities. […] [para. 53] [59] In “thin skull” cases, the question of whether the pre-existing condition was dormant or active is of no moment,provided it was not degenerative. The oft-cited excerpt from the Supreme Court’s decision in Athey v. Leonati, (SCC),[1996] 3 S.C.R. 458, [1996] S.C.J.
No. 102 (QL), bears repeating: It is not now necessary, nor has it ever been, for the plaintiff to establish that the defendant's negligence was the sole cause of the injury.There will frequently be a myriad of other background events which were necessary preconditions to the injury occurring. To borrow anexample from Professor Fleming (The Law of Torts (8th ed. 1992) at p. 193), a “fire ignited in a wastepaper basket is […] caused notonly by the dropping of a lighted match, but also by the presence of combustible material and oxygen, a failure of the cleaner to emptythe basket and so forth”.
As long as a defendant is part of the cause of an injury, the defendant is liable, even though his act alone wasnot enough to create the injury. There is no basis for a reduction of liability because of the existence of other preconditions: defendantsremain liable for all injuries caused or contributed to by their negligence. [para. 17] [60] Finally, the judge’s overall assessment of damages is subject to a very high level of deference on appellatereview.
Unless it resulted from the application of a wrong principle of law or was the product of a wholly erroneous assessment of thedamages, the award cannot be disturbed.
That much was made clear in Wallace: Absent a significant error of law (e.g. a failure to abide by legislative dictates), a significant principle-related mistake (e.g. a failure tofollow settled common law rules) or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence, the trial judge’s assessment ofdamages must stand unless it is “palpably incorrect” or “wholly erroneous” […] [para. 23] [61] I detect no such error and I would dismiss these two grounds of appeal. D.
Grounds five, six and seven: assessment of evidence relating to residual earning capacity, mitigation and preference of evidence [62] All three of these grounds relate to the expert evidence a judge can consider and whether he or she can preferone expert to another. Ms. McIntyre argues the judge failed to explain why the reports of Ms. Matthews’ own vocational assessmentexpert, Mr. Sean Fitzgerald, were ignored and that he further failed to explain why Dr. Fitch’s views, with respect to function andemployability, were preferred over those of Mr.
Fitzgerald. [63] At para. 52 of the decision, the judge clearly considered all of the evidence and held that, to the extent any ofDr. Fitch’s opinions differed from the other doctors, treatment providers or evaluators, which included Mr. Fitzgerald, he preferred theevidence of Dr. Fitch for the reasons I have already stated. In the circumstances of this case, he was correct and entitled to do so. [64] A trial judge is under no obligation to accept the opinion of an expert witness. See Gauthier v. Beaumont, (SCC), [1998] 2 S.C.R. 3, [1998] S.C.J. No. 55 (QL); Lawson v.
Poirier Estate (1999), (NB CA), 211N.B.R. (2d) 41, [1999] N.B.J. No. 207 (C.A.) (QL); Losier v. Losier (1996), (NB CA), 182 N.B.R. (2d) 220, [1996]N.B.J. No. 457 (C.A.) (QL). [65] Ms. McIntyre cites this Court’s decision in Saulnier v. LeBlanc, 2005 NBCA 79, 288 N.B.R. (2d) 160, insupport of her argument that the judge in this case could not ignore the evidence of Mr. Fitzgerald, while preferring that of Dr. Fitch,with respect to Ms. Matthews’ residual earning capacity.
That argument fails for two reasons. [66] First, Saulnier is not a case where both experts had testified on the same subject matter and the judge preferredthe evidence of one over the other. In that case, the judge preferred the evidence of a physiatrist over that of a psychiatrist where theclaimant’s ability to work was hampered by depression and illness, which the physiatrist readily admitted he was not qualified tocomment upon. Yet, the trial judge relied solely on the physiatrist’s evidence to reduce the plaintiff’s damages. He did not deal with thepsychiatrist’s evidence at all.
[ 67 ] On appeal, this Court held the trial judge had committed a palpable and overriding error in failing to address the psychiatric evidence relating to the mental component of the plaintiff’s claim pertaining to residual earning capacity. [ 68 ] The case at bar is entirely different. The judge heard the testimony of Dr. Fitch whom, during his long career, had dealt with the issue of patients’ abilities to engage in employment. He also heard the testimony of Mr. Fitzgerald whose expertise includes dealing with employability and placeability within the relevant labour market. Mr. Fitzgerald is not a medical practitioner and he is limited to expressing his opinion based on the
interpretation he brings to medical evidence in terms of how, notwithstanding physical restrictions, an individual might have residual earning capacity and how that capacity might lead to employment. To the extent Dr. Fitch’s opinion, within the context of assessing Ms. Matthews’ residual earning capacity, was such that she had no such capacity, the judge did not have to wade into Mr. Fitzgerald’s opinion on the closely related topics of employability and placeability. Indeed, Dr.
Fitch testified he had developed his opinion based on his own assessment and by examining the vocational assessment as well. [ 69 ] This brings up the second reason why Ms. McIntyre’s argument fails. The evidence of Mr. Fitzgerald was largely consistent with Dr. Fitch’s and not at all contradictory, as Ms. McIntyre asserts. At best, Mr. Fitzgerald’s opinion on residual earning capacity was equivocal. Before dealing with the particulars of it, Mr. Fitzgerald had considered the opinion of Lloyd Richard who had conducted a functional capacity evaluation of Ms. Matthews.
He also testified at trial and a comment needs to be made about his evidence. [ 70 ] Mr. Richard stated the only employment option which might be considered for Ms. Matthews was that of a front-end retail position, a job which primarily requires individuals to stand or walk without much opportunity to sit. Based on his evaluation, Mr. Richard’s opinion was that Ms. Matthews would be challenged to meet even part-time demands for such a job on a dependable and sustainable basis . [ 71 ] Mr. Fitzgerald then opined that his labour market research did not identify any job similar to the one Ms.
Matthews did before the accident, given her inability to work beyond a part-time basis. It was, therefore, his opinion this placed her at a competitive disadvantage in terms of employability because employers prefer to hire part-time employees with the ability to take on additional shifts to meet business demands. This is what Mr. Fitzgerald states is important in the analysis, i.e. employability versus placeability. [ 72 ] Finally, to the extent Ms. Matthews had been found totally disabled by both CPP and her
Section B carrier, Mr. Fitzgerald had to acknowledge this was an important consideration. He also conceded to similar limitations with respect to Ms. Matthews’ ability to perform services at home. [ 73 ] The judge made an entirely appropriate assessment of the evidence and, as a result, there is no basis to disturb his awards of damages. The award of general damages is consistent with awards made in similar cases and all other heads of damages are based on either proven losses or losses based on acceptable and unchallenged actuarial evidence. [ 74 ] I would dismiss these grounds of appeal. VI.
Disposition [ 75 ] For these reasons, I would allow the appeal in part to correct the terms of the Cox v. Carter order and make the
Section B weekly indemnity benefits deductible against the entire award of damages. I would dismiss all other grounds of appeal with costs of $4,000 are payable to Ms. Matthews plus reasonable disbursements. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par
LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Aperçu [1] Murielle McIntyre était la conductrice responsable d’un accident de la route survenu le 1 er février 2011. Une action a été intentée contre elle un an plus tard, mais elle n’a reconnu sa responsabilité que cinq ans après le dépôt de l’action. [2] Karen Matthews a subi des blessures en raison de l’accident. Elle était atteinte de douleurs chroniques préexistantes, dont elle souffrait depuis qu’elle a subi une blessure au travail en 2003. En plus des blessures liées à l’accident, ses douleurs chroniques préexistantes ont été aggravées.
Le cœur du débat dont était saisi le juge de première instance avait trait à l’évaluation de ses dommages-intérêts. Ce débat était alimenté en grande
partie par des assertions qu’avait faites M me McIntyre selon lesquelles M me Matthews manquait de crédibilité relativement à sa description de ses blessures liées à l’accident et à ses plaintes. En raison de sa blessure préexistante, la question du lien de causalité juridique a été vigoureusement débattue. Essentiellement, les parties avaient adopté des positions diamétralement opposées quant à la question de savoir si M me Matthews était une demanderesse à laquelle s’appliquait la règle de « la vulnérabilité de la victime » ou celle de « l’état dégénérescent de la victime ».
Il aura fallu un procès de 15 jours pour résoudre cette impasse. [3] Le juge de première instance a conclu que M me Matthews était crédible.
Il a conclu qu’elle ne feignait pas la maladie et qu’elle était [TRADUCTION] « une demanderesse impressionnante, qui avait véritablement été blessée dans l’accident et qui, en conséquence de ces blessures, a été incapable de réintégrer le marché du travail » (par. 7). [4] Il lui a accordé les dommages-intérêts suivants : Dommages-intérêts généraux pour préjudices non pécuniaires 75 000,00 $ Perte actuelle de revenus 111 264,65 $ Intérêt sur la perte actuelle de revenus 17 246,02 $ Perte future de revenus 218 413,32 $ Coût actuel des médicaments 18 676,18 $ Intérêt sur le coût actuel des médicaments 11 555,89 $ Coût futur des médicaments 135 761,46 $ Traitement de psychothérapie futur 1 800,00 $ Perte actuelle de services utiles 12 270,00 $ Intérêt sur la perte actuelle de services utiles 1 920,86 $
Perte future de services utiles 25 069,20 $ Total de la demande 628 977,58 $ dépens et débours en sus [5] Il a par la suite rendu une ordonnance de type Cox c. Carter en faveur de M me McIntyre. L’ordonnance prévoyait que, à partir du 3 décembre 2018, toutes les indemnités hebdomadaires pour perte de revenus que M me Matthews avait déjà reçues ou devait recevoir au
titre du
chapitre B seraient détenues en fiducie et versées à M me McIntyre, mais seulement jusqu’à concurrence du montant qu’il avait accordé à
titre de perte future de revenus. [6] M me McIntyre a interjeté appel des clauses de l’ordonnance de type Cox c. Carter et a soulevé six moyens d’appel supplémentaires par lesquels elle soutient que le juge a commis des erreurs dans l’interprétation de la preuve et dans l’octroi des dommages-intérêts, principalement en omettant de conclure que M me Matthews était une demanderesse à laquelle s’appliquait la règle de « l’état dégénérescent de la victime ».
Elle soutient qu’il a aussi commis une erreur en omettant de répartir les dommages-intérêts comme il devait le faire lorsqu’il a déduit les dommages-intérêts attribuables à l’état préexistant. [7] En appel, il y a lieu de faire preuve d’une grande retenue à l’égard des conclusions de fait du juge, au vu des défenses soulevées.
Je rejetterais l’appel relativement à tous les moyens invoqués qui sont assujettis à cette norme. [8] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je rejetterais l’appel et confirmerais le jugement en dommages-intérêts du juge de première instance, sauf en ce qui concerne les clauses de l’ordonnance de type Cox c. Carter . J’accueillerais l’appel sur ce moyen d’appel seulement, de sorte que les indemnités hebdomadaires futures versées au
titre du
chapitre B soient affectées, en ce qui concerne la fiducie constituée en faveur de M me McIntyre, à la totalité des dommages-intérêts octroyés et non seulement aux dommages-intérêts octroyés pour perte future de revenus. II. Contexte factuel [9] Les allégations de M me McIntyre selon lesquelles M me Matthews manque de crédibilité et feint la maladie exigent que les faits saillants à l’appui de celles-ci soient énoncés de façon assez détaillée et qu’ils soient accompagnés de l’évaluation qu’en a faite le juge.
Ces assertions se rapportent à la question du lien de causalité, question qu’un juge doit trancher avant d’évaluer les dommages-intérêts. Il est important d’exposer l’intégralité des conclusions déterminantes qu’on nous demande de contrôler. [10] Au moment où l’accident est survenu, M me Matthews avait 48 ans. Son niveau de scolarité se limite à une neuvième année. Elle vivait avec son mari, un ancien combattant handicapé. Le jour de l’accident, son fils, la petite amie de ce dernier et deux jeunes enfants vivaient avec elle dans une maison qu’elle louait.
En raison des contraintes financières entraînées par l’accident, l’unité familiale a dû déménager dans un plus petit appartement. Au moment du procès, elle avait déménagé de nouveau, cette fois dans un triplex loué qui offrait plus d’espace. [11] M me Matthews a commencé à travailler, au début des années 2000, comme prestataire de soins à temps plein dans un foyer de soins. À quelques égards, il s’agissait d’un travail physiquement exigeant. En effet, c’est en soulevant un résident, au début 2003, que M me Matthews a subi au travail une blessure au bas du dos, à la
partie supérieure des omoplates, au bras droit et au cou. Elle a obtenu un congé de travail pendant environ trois mois et a reçu des prestations de Travail sécuritaire NB. Elle est par la suite retournée au travail au même endroit pendant six mois tout en continuant de prendre de puissants médicaments opiacés analgésiques. [12] Les exigences physiques du travail se sont avérées trop élevées pour elle, malgré le soulagement de la douleur que lui procuraient les médicaments. Par conséquent, elle a trouvé un emploi moins physiquement exigeant comme gérante adjointe dans un restaurant.
Elle a travaillé à cet endroit pendant deux ans, jusqu’à 50 à 55 heures par semaine. Elle a quitté ce poste pour travailler dans une boulangerie, où elle travaillait à temps plein au moment de l’accident.
[13] Pendant à peu près huit ans, entre son retour au travail à la suite de l’incident survenu au lieu de travail et la date de l’accident, M me Matthews a continué de souffrir de douleurs chroniques, mais était en mesure de continuer de travailler à temps plein, à l’aide de médicaments, sauf lorsqu’elle devait s’absenter brièvement parce qu’elle éprouvait des poussées actives. [14] Le juge de première instance a conclu que [TRADUCTION] « […] malgré la douleur chronique dont elle continuait de souffrir à la suite de l’accident lié au travail, M me Matthews s’est efforcée de maintenir un emploi à temps plein dans des postes plutôt physiquement exigeants.
Non seulement elle était la principale pourvoyeuse de soins pour sa famille, mais elle lui apportait aussi un important soutien financier ». Le juge était d’avis que ses efforts avaient été [TRADUCTION] « […] non seulement louables, mais aussi, franchement, plutôt impressionnants » (par. 13). [15] M me Matthews a témoigné que, avant l’accident, elle était [TRADUCTION] « […] en mesure d’aller travailler quotidiennement sans problème ».
Elle était aussi capable d’effectuer ses tâches ménagères, y compris prendre soin de sa famille et de son mari handicapé. [16] L’accident a eu pour effet d’exacerber considérablement ses douleurs chroniques. En plus de la douleur au cou, elle éprouvait des épisodes d’étourdissement. Son médecin de famille, le D r William Fitch, qui était son médecin depuis 1987, lui a diagnostiqué une foulure cervicale, une entorse à l’épaule et un syndrome post-commotion cérébrale.
On a prescrit à M me Matthews des médicaments supplémentaires, à prendre avec les médicaments qu’elle prenait avant l’accident lorsqu’elle éprouvait des percées de douleur. De plus, on l’a envoyée en physiothérapie.
Travail sécuritaire NB a continué de couvrir les coûts de tous les traitements. [17] En août 2012, Travail sécuritaire NB a décidé de cesser de couvrir le coût des médicaments supplémentaires qui avaient été prescrits après l’accident et, en mars 2013, elle a mis fin à la couverture relative aux médicaments qu’elle prenait avant l’accident étant donné sa décision selon laquelle ils n’étaient plus nécessaires par suite de la blessure subie au travail.
Aucun appel n’a été interjeté de ces décisions. [18] Le juge s’est montré hautement élogieux et très impressionné quant à la qualité des dossiers du D r Fitch au sujet de M me Matthews et à la solidité de son témoignage au procès. Il a conclu que le dossier médical de M me Matthews était détaillé, exhaustif et complet. [19] Le D r Fitch, peu après le début du traitement des blessures liées à l’accident de M me Matthews, et alors qu’il continuait de lui prodiguer des traitements pour la blessure qu’elle avait subie au travail, a envoyé à Travail sécuritaire NB un rapport d’évolution daté du 22 février 2011.
Dans ce rapport, il indique que les blessures liées à l’accident ont considérablement compliqué la douleur chronique préexistante liée à la blessure subie au travail. [20] La preuve a établi que les symptômes accrus de M me Matthews ont persisté et qu’ils se sont en fait aggravés avec le temps. La dépression s’est installée, pour laquelle le D r Fitch a prescrit du Celexa. En novembre 2013, il a diagnostiqué à M me Matthews un [TRADUCTION] « trouble de l’adaptation » et un [TRADUCTION] « chevauchement de l’anxiété et de la dépression ».
Aucun des traitements multidisciplinaires que M me Matthews avait suivis sous l’égide de Travail sécuritaire NB ne l’a aidée. Sa capacité physique fonctionnelle réduite ne s’est pas améliorée et s’est progressivement aggravée. [21] Dans un rapport daté du 12 décembre 2013, le D r Fitch a résumé les blessures liées à l’accident comme une commotion cérébrale et une blessure à la colonne cervicale de type flexion-extension . Il a mentionné qu’elle avait subi une exacerbation de son syndrome de douleur chronique préexistant et qu’elle avait développé un trouble de l’adaptation avec humeur dépressive.
Il était d’avis qu’elle serait incapable d’effectuer tout type de travail dans son domaine de compétence. Il a attribué tout cela à l’accident. [22] Le juge a relevé et retenu le témoignage du D r Fitch ayant trait aux effets dévastateurs de la douleur dont souffre M me Matthews sur la vie de cette dernière, effets qui sont, selon son expérience, caractéristiques des patients qui se trouvent dans des situations semblables.
La principale conséquence de la douleur est la perte de fonction associée à l’incapacité de travailler ou d’accomplir la plupart des activités de la vie quotidienne. [23] Bien que les symptômes liés à la douleur chronique soient en grande
partie fondés sur des déclarations
subjectives, le D r Fitch a témoigné que ces déclarations peuvent être examinées au moyen d’évaluations fonctionnelles objectives. Comme nous en discuterons ci-dessous, M me Matthews a fait l’objet d’une évaluation des capacités fonctionnelles et d’une évaluation professionnelle, dont les résultats cadraient en grande
partie avec ses plaintes subjectives . [24] C’est ce qui a mené le D r Fitch à témoigner que M me Matthews avait fait preuve de sincérité dans son auto- évaluation, qu’elle ne feignait pas la maladie et qu’elle n’avait rien embelli à des fins lucratives secondaires . [25] Le juge n’a aucunement hésité à accepter sans réserve la preuve du D r Fitch. Il a estimé qu’il était juste et objectif et qu’il n’essayait pas de faire valoir des intérêts particuliers ou partis pris favorables à sa patiente.
Dans la mesure où l’opinion du D r Fitch était différente de celle des autres experts qui ont participé au traitement ou à l’évaluation de M me Matthews, le juge a choisi de préférer celle du D r Fitch. Il a énoncé les motifs pour lesquels il a procédé ainsi; j’en ai déjà noté quelques-uns. Essentiellement, le juge a conclu que personne ne connaissait mieux les antécédents médicaux de M me Matthews que le D r Fitch, qui la suivait depuis 30 ans.
Qui plus est, aucun expert médical n’a été appelé à témoigner par M me McIntyre afin de contester l’opinion du D r Fitch. [26] Le juge a par la suite procédé à l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts généraux pour souffrances et douleurs et pour préjudice d’agrément et il les a fixés à 75 000 $. Il a fixé ce montant en tenant compte de l’état chronique préexistant. [27] Il a ensuite évalué la perte actuelle de revenus de M me Matthews, nette des indemnités hebdomadaires déjà versées au
titre du
chapitre B à la date du procès, de l’impôt sur le revenu et des prestations d’assurance emploi reçues. Cette perte s’est établie à 111 264,65 $. Les intérêts sur cette perte actuelle ont été accordés à un taux conservateur de 2 % par année, totalisant ainsi 17 246,02 $. [28] En ce qui concerne la perte future de revenus, le juge a accepté la preuve selon laquelle l’état de santé physique et mental de M me Matthews ne s’améliorerait pas suffisamment pour que l’on puisse raisonnablement s’attendre à ce qu’elle retourne un jour au travail.
Il a conclu que, n’eût été l’accident, elle aurait continué de travailler jusqu’à l’âge de 65 ans. Il a accepté les calculs actuariels conservateurs présentés au procès, qui n’ont pas été contestés par un témoin expert de la défense. Il a accordé, au
titre de la perte future de revenus, la somme de 218 413,32 $. [29] Même s’il est impossible d’établir clairement si une
partie des médicaments de M me Matthews ont été payés par son assureur à la suite des décisions de Travail sécuritaire NB, les garanties prévues dans sa police au
titre du
chapitre B ont expiré le jour du quatrième anniversaire de l’accident, à savoir le 1 er février 2015. Quoi qu’il en soit, le juge n’a accordé aucun montant relativement au coût des médicaments supporté avant le 15 février 2015. La somme qu’il a octroyée pour cette catégorie de dommage, d’un total de 18 676,18 $, visait la période allant du 15 février 2015 à la fin décembre 2018. [30] M me Matthews n’avait pas les moyens de payer ses médicaments après le 15 février 2015 et, par conséquent, elle a emprunté de l’argent à Seahold Investments Inc. pour en acquitter le coût.
Seahold lui a imposé des intérêts de 2,4 % par mois (taux d’intérêt annuel réel de 32,923 %). Elle a emprunté cette somme sous forme de plusieurs prêts qu’elle a contractés entre le 8 avril 2015 et 31 octobre 2018. Le juge a conclu qu’il était raisonnable pour elle d’emprunter de l’argent à Seahold. Il ne disposait d’aucune preuve d’une solution moins coûteuse s’offrant à elle. Le juge a de plus conclu qu’elle avait manifestement besoin des médicaments. Il a invoqué, à l’appui de sa décision, le raisonnement de notre Cour présenté dans l’arrêt LeBlanc c.
Doucet et Société d’énergie du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2012 NBCA 88 , 394 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 228 . [31] S’agissant des intérêts accordés relativement aux prêts consentis par Seahold, le juge de première instance a exercé le pouvoir discrétionnaire qui lui est conféré au par. 45(1) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2, et a accordé des intérêts simples se chiffrant à la moitié du taux de Seahold pour la période du 8 avril 2015 jusqu’à la date du procès. Les intérêts ainsi accordés étaient de 11 555,89 $. [32] En ce qui concerne la demande visant les coûts futurs des soins, le juge a conclu que tous les médicaments qui avaient été prescrits à M me Matthews étaient nécessaires et raisonnables pour atténuer sa douleur.
Il a conclu que le D r Fitch et l’évaluation indépendante fournie par le D r Ken Porter appuyaient la notion selon laquelle l’état de M me Matthews était peu susceptible de s’améliorer à l’avenir, et encore moins susceptible de se résoudre, et que les traitements dont elle aurait besoin resteraient les mêmes. En s’appuyant sur les calculs actuariels dont il disposait, le juge a accordé la somme de 135 761,46 $ au
titre du coût futur des médicaments jusqu’à l’âge de 85 ans. De plus, il a accordé la somme restreinte de 1 800 $ pour le coût de traitements futurs de
psychothérapie. [33] La demande pour perte de services utiles a été évaluée de façon conservatrice en accordant à M me Matthews deux heures d’aide à l’entretien ménager par semaine. La perte actuelle a été établie à 14 171,85 $, somme inclusive des intérêts à un taux de 2 % par année. [34] La somme de 25 069,20 $, qui a encore une fois été fixée selon la preuve actuarielle, a été accordée au
titre de la perte future de services utiles jusqu’à l’âge de 75 ans. III. Moyens d’appel [35] M me McIntyre soulève sept moyens d’appel. Elle prétend que le juge a commis les erreurs suivantes : 1. une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a strictement déduit les indemnités hebdomadaires que M me Matthews touchait au
titre du
chapitre B du montant accordé pour la perte future de revenus plutôt que de la totalité des dommages-intérêts octroyés, contrairement au par. 263(2) de la
Loi sur les assurances , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-12, et à l’interprétation que notre Cour a donnée à ce paragraphe; 2. en accordant, à
titre de dommages-intérêts, les intérêts payés sur les prêts consentis par Seahold relativement aux frais médicaux préalables au procès; 3. en tenant M me McIntyre responsable du coût des médicaments antérieurement couverts par Travail sécuritaire NB avant sa décision de mettre fin aux prestations; 4. en omettant de réduire les sommes octroyées pour chaque catégorie de dommage afin de tenir compte des douleurs chroniques qu’éprouvait déjà M me Matthews; 5. en omettant d’examiner la preuve d’un expert du domaine de l’emploi afin de déterminer si M me Matthews avait une certaine capacité de gain résiduelle; 6. en concluant que M me Matthews n’avait aucune capacité de gain résiduelle étant donné qu’elle avait omis de limiter le préjudice qu’elle avait subi en ce qui concerne sa perte de revenus, et étant donné le témoignage présenté au sujet de son employabilité par son propre expert dans le domaine de l’emploi; 7. en préférant la preuve du D r Fitch à celle de tous les autres experts qui ont témoigné relativement à ses capacités fonctionnelles et à sa capacité de gain.
IV. Normes de contrôle [36] Le premier moyen d’appel soulève une question de droit susceptible de révision suivant la norme de la décision correcte. Le troisième moyen d’appel soulève une question de droit et une question mixte de fait et de droit. Les cinq autres moyens portent soit sur des questions mixtes de fait et de droit ou sur la question de l’exercice, par le juge, de son pouvoir discrétionnaire, lesquelles commandent toutes la déférence et qui sont toutes susceptibles de révision suivant la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. V. Analyse
A. Le premier moyen d’appel : l’ordonnance de type Cox c. Carter [37] Mme Matthews a rapidement concédé les principes juridiques qui s’appliquaient relativement à la déductibilitédes indemnités hebdomadaires versées au
titre du
chapitre B. Ces indemnités doivent être déduites de la totalité des dommages-intérêtsoctroyés et non seulement de la somme octroyée au
titre de la perte future de revenus. Le juge a manifestement commis une erreur dedroit dans sa manière d’appliquer le par. 263(2) de la
Loi sur les assurances, selon l’interprétation que notre Cour en a donnée dans l’arrêt O’Donnell c. O’Blenis, 2004 NBCA 23, 269 R.N.-B. (2e) 273, et Bent c. MacFarlane, 2018 NBCA 17, [2018] A.N.-B. no 43(QL). Je suis d’avis d’accueillir ce moyen d’appel et de modifier l’ordonnance de type Cox c. Carter de sorte que toutes les indemnités hebdomadaires que Mme Matthews a reçues depuis le procès ou qu’elle recevra soient détenues en fiducie par elle, au profit de Mme McIntyre, à concurrence d’un montant équivalant à la totalité des dommages-intérêts accordés. B.
Le deuxième moyen d’appel : l’octroi d’intérêts sur les prêts de Seahold [38] L’octroi par le juge des intérêts sur les prêts consentis par Seahold résultait de l’exercice du pouvoirdiscrétionnaire qui lui est conféré à l’art. 45 de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire. Le présent moyen d’appel, tel qu’il a été formulé,présume que ces intérêts ont été octroyés comme une des catégories de dommage, ce qui n’est pas le cas. C’est la somme accordée pourle coût des médicaments, jusqu’à la date du procès, qui a été accordée à
titre de catégorie de dommage. Le paiement de ce coût était laraison pour laquelle les prêts de Seahold ont été contractés et il fera l’objet d’un débat distinct dans le cadre d’un autre moyen d’appel,sur lequel je me pencherai ci-dessous. [39] Même si le juge a effectivement confondu la question en qualifiant l’octroi d’intérêts de catégorie de dommage(au par. 67), il a adopté, en fin de compte, la bonne démarche en exerçant son pouvoir discrétionnaire afin d’accorder ces intérêtsconformément au par. 45(1) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire. [40] Le juge semble aussi s’être fondé sur la décision de notre Cour dans l’arrêt LeBlanc c. Doucet et Société d’énergie du Nouveau-Brunswick, 2012 NBCA 88, 394 R.N.-B. (2e) 228, comme un précédent pour l’octroi du principal des prêts deSeahold ainsi que des intérêts sur ceux-ci. Un bref examen de cette décision est justifié en ce qui concerne son applicabilité à la présenteaffaire. [41] Dans l’arrêt LeBlanc, un demandeur indigent avait contracté des prêts auprès de Seahold afin de financer lesdébours qu’il devait faire pour poursuivre son action.
Il a obtenu gain de cause au procès et la responsabilité de l’accident de la route surlequel l’action était fondée a été entièrement imputée aux défendeurs. Il a demandé la taxation de ses débours remboursables en vertu dutarif « D » de la règle 59. Sa liste de débours comprenait les intérêts exigés sur les prêts. Il a soutenu que ces intérêts devraient être admiscomme débours taxables en vertu du sous-par. 2(14) du tarif « D ».
Le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), s’exprimant au nomde la Cour, a convenu que les intérêts étaient des frais indispensables et raisonnables, comme le prévoit la terminologie employée ausous-par. 2(14). [42] L’affaire dont nous sommes saisis est quelque peu différente en ce sens que les intérêts sur les prêts consentispar Seahold n’ont pas été considérés comme des débours, mais plutôt comme des intérêts accumulés relativement à l’octroi dedommages-intérêts particuliers, à savoir le capital des prêts.
Le juge a évalué ces intérêts en usant du pouvoir discrétionnaire que luiconfère le par. 45(1) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire. Notre Cour a conclu, dans l’arrêt LeClerc c. Sunbury Transport Ltd. and Risteen (1996), (NB CA), 184 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, [1996] A.N.-B. no 600 (C.A.) (QL), qu’il est loisible aux juges dechoisir et d’appliquer le taux d’intérêt qu’ils estiment approprié et qu’on ne peut intervenir dans l’exercice de ce pouvoir discrétionnairequ’en présence d’une erreur manifeste (par. 47).
Je ne détecte aucune erreur de ce genre ici. [43] Comme nous l’avons vu, et comme j’en discuterai de manière plus approfondie dans l’analyse portant sur le troisième moyen d’appel, dans la mesure où il était justifié pour le juge de conclure qu’il était raisonnable que Mme Matthews finance lecoût de ses médicaments au moyen de prêts contractés auprès de Seahold, je suis convaincu que le juge n’a commis aucune erreur en accordant la moitié des intérêts exigés sur ces prêts.
En effet, cette décision était à l’avantage de Mme McIntyre. [44] Quant au bien-fondé de la décision de contracter les prêts, le juge disposait d’éléments de preuve établissant cequi suit :
1. le coût des médicaments que les prêts serviraient à payer; 2. le fait que toutes les autres sources de couverture du coût des médicaments avaient été épuisées; 3.
Mme Matthews n’avait aucune autre source de revenus; 4. la banque avait repris possession de sa voiture parce qu’elle était incapable de faire les versements mensuels. [45] Même si les prêts n’ont pas été contractés dans le contexte d’un litige en matière d’accès à la justice, comme c’était le cas dans l’affaire LeBlanc, il était manifestement nécessaire que Mme Matthews prenne cette mesure pour continuer de contrôlersa douleur et pour éviter que sa demande ne devienne encore plus importante. [46] Dans le cadre de son argument à l’encontre de cet octroi d’intérêts, Mme McIntyre a affirmé que les frais d’intérêts supportés n’étaient pas prévisibles.
Elle a aussi soutenu que Mme Matthews avait omis de limiter cette perte par son défaut de présenter une motion en vue de solliciter un paiement anticipé de Mme McIntyre afin de couvrir le coût des médicaments, ce qui luiaurait permis d’éviter de devoir même contracter les prêts.
Le juge a tranché cette question comme suit : [TRADUCTION]Compte tenu de la position que la défenderesse a adoptée dès le tout début selon laquelle elle niait toute responsabilité quant aupaiement de dommages-intérêts ou de frais ayant trait à l’accident de la route, on ne peut reprocher à la demanderesse d’avoir omis deprésenter une motion aussi évidemment contentieuse et probablement hautement contestée. [par. 68] [47] Je suis du même avis. [48] Qui plus est, la règle 1.02 (la proportionnalité) et la règle 1.03 (le recours à la procédure la moins coûteuse et la plus expéditive) apportent des réponses supplémentaires à la position de Mme McIntyre.
J’ajouterais que, dans la mesure où Mme McIntyre essaie de reprocher à Mme Matthews de ne pas avoir déposé de motion sollicitant un paiement anticipé, on pourrait également reprocher à Mme McIntyre de ne pas avoir offert un tel paiement. Je dis cela surtout parce que la situation et l’indigence de Mme Matthews étaient bien connues de Mme McIntyre et, pour une somme d’argent relativement minime par rapport à sa responsabilitépotentielle, les frais d’intérêts auraient pu être évités. Les demandeurs n’ont pas recours à ce type de prêt à moins de n’avoir aucun autrechoix.
C’est ce qui a rendu les intérêts sur les prêts de Seahold prévisibles dans le cadre de la demande. [49] Finalement, Mme McIntyre soutient que des considérations d’intérêt public devraient persuader notre Courd’interdire le recouvrement d’intérêts sur des prêts ayant servi à payer des médicaments ou d’autres formes de traitements prescrits.Selon elle, permettre cela serait aussi contraire à l’intérêt de la justice. Avec égards, je ne suis pas de cet avis. Comme l’a habilementaffirmé la juge en chef McLachlin (tel était alors son titre) dans l’arrêt Tataryn c.
Succession Tataryn, (SCC), [1994] 2 R.C.S. 807, [1994] A.C.S. no 65 (QL), cité et approuvé dans l’arrêt LeBlanc, les tribunaux doivent s’efforcer « […] de rendre desordonnances justes dans les circonstances données, fondées sur les normes contemporaines. […] L’objectif est la justice contemporaine »(par. 15). [50] Je suis d’avis de rejeter le présent moyen d’appel. C.
Le troisième et le quatrième moyens d’appel : la somme octroyée pour le coût des médicaments antérieurs à l’accident et larépartition des sommes octroyées pour toutes les catégories de dommage [51] La question de l’octroi de dommages-intérêts visant à couvrir le coût des médicaments qui étaientantérieurement payés par Travail sécuritaire NB soulève deux questions interreliées : la première est une question de droit, la seconde,
une question mixte de fait et de droit. [52] S’agissant de la première question, même si le juge a fait valoir sa désapprobation à l’égard de la décision de Travail sécuritaire NB de mettre fin aux prestations de M me Matthews, cet organisme a la compétence exclusive, en vertu du par. 41(3) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. W-13, pour déterminer la nécessité de tout médicament prescrit relativement à des blessures subies au travail, et, en vertu de l’art. 31, pour mettre fin à ces prestations. Dans le cas de M me Matthews, aucun appel n’a été interjeté de la décision de la Commission. Il n’y a aucun précédent appuyant la proposition selon laquelle le fait de ne pas interjeter appel d’une telle décision dans une affaire comme celle en l’espèce équivaut à un défaut de limiter le préjudice.
De toute façon, le juge n’a commis aucune erreur de droit dans son traitement de la décision de Travail sécuritaire NB. [53] La seconde question, qui a une incidence sur le troisième et le quatrième moyens d’appel, se rapporte à l’imputation, par le juge, de la totalité du préjudice aux blessures liées à l’accident. M me McIntyre soutient que le juge a appliqué le critère du facteur déterminant pour conclure que, n’eût été l’accident, M me Matthews aurait continué d’avoir besoin d’analgésiques pour traiter la blessure subie au travail et que Travail sécuritaire NB aurait continuer de payer ceux-ci.
Elle invoque, à l’appui de cette assertion, les par. 64 et 65 de la décision. [54] Toutefois, une lecture attentive de ces paragraphes mène à la conclusion contraire. Le juge a écrit que, n’eût été l’accident, il [TRADUCTION] « croit » qu’il aurait été [TRADUCTION] « probable » que Travail sécuritaire NB aurait continué de payer le coût des médicaments. Il s’agit, au mieux, de conjectures, mais il ne s’agit certainement pas d’une conclusion de fait.
Au par. 65, il fait état de sa désapprobation à l’égard de la décision de Travail sécuritaire NB et puis conclut que M me Matthews a le droit d’être indemnisée par M me McIntyre du coût de tous les médicaments qu’il qualifie de [TRADUCTION] « nécessaires et raisonnables ». [55] M me McIntyre soutient que le critère du facteur déterminant se rapporte au lien de causalité et s’applique au stade de la détermination de la responsabilité, et non au stade de l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts.
J’en conviens et, à mon avis, la décision du juge a justement eu cet effet, non seulement en ce qui concerne le coût des médicaments, mais aussi quant à toutes les catégories de dommages mentionnées dans le quatrième moyen d’appel. [56] Bien que le juge ne l’ait pas expressément dit, son évaluation est tout à fait compatible avec la preuve en ce sens que M me Matthews était une demanderesse à laquelle s’appliquait la règle de la « vulnérabilité de la victime » et non celle de « l’état dégénérescent de la victime ».
Par conséquent, cela lui donne le droit d’être indemnisée intégralement par M me McIntyre du préjudice subi. [57] Selon la preuve, M me Matthews était entièrement fonctionnelle avant l’accident, tant qu’elle continuait de prendre des médicaments pour maîtriser sa douleur chronique préexistante. Le juge a accepté qu’il n’y avait aucune preuve indiquant que l’état de M me Matthews préalable à l’accident était de nature dégénérescente. Dans l’arrêt Wallace c.
Thibodeau , 2008 NBCA 78 , 337 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 342 , le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) a expliqué les incidences des règles dites de « la vulnérabilité de la victime » et de « l’état dégénérescent de la victime » dans les termes suivants : En droit de la responsabilité civile délictuelle, les réparations ont pour but de rétablir la victime dans la situation où elle aurait été sans la survenance de la transgression.
Ces réparations ne visent pas à « améliorer » le sort initial de la victime et les règles dites de « la vulnérabilité de la victime » et de « l’état dégénérescent de la victime » font toutes deux
partie de l’arsenal dont disposent les cours de justice dans la poursuite rationnelle de cet objectif. Un des principes souvent mentionnés, [TRADUCTION] « le défendeur n’a pas le choix de sa victime », est à la base même des deux règles (voir Mitchell McInnes , Causation in Tort Law: Back to Basics at the Supreme Court of Canada (1997), 35 Alta. L. Rev. 1013 (QL)). Ce principe rend le transgresseur responsable des conséquences immédiates des préjudices ou pertes qu’il a causés, et ce même s’ils se révèlent plus importants que prévu en raison d’une anomalie corporelle de la victime.
En d’autres termes, le transgresseur doit répondre en droit de la totalité des préjudices et pertes immédiats subis par le demandeur lésé même si certains d’entre eux se révèlent plus graves que ceux qu’aurait subis le commun des mortels. Pour ce qui est de la règle de « l’état dégénérescent de la victime », elle trouve habituellement son application lorsque la transgression entraîne le déclenchement ou l’aggravation de problèmes associés avec un état dégénérescent qui n’est pas lié à la transgression. La règle a pour objet de limiter la responsabilité du transgresseur à la
partie du préjudice et de ses conséquences qui est attribuable à la transgression (voir S.M. Waddams, The Law of Damages, 4 e éd. (Toronto: Canada Law Book, 2004) au paragraphe 14.570 et G.H.L. Fridman, The Law of Torts in Canada , 2 e éd. (Toronto: Carswell, 2002) à la page 427). Cela contraste vivement avec l’évaluation des dommages- intérêts dans les cas qui relèvent de la catégorie dite de « la vulnérabilité de la victime », où des dommages-intérêts complets sont octroyés. [par. 47]
[58] Cela concorde tout à fait avec les conclusions de fait déterminantes tirées par le juge : [TRADUCTION]En résumé, après avoir examiné l’ensemble de la preuve médicale et des autres éléments de preuve présentés en l’espèce, et en particulier le témoignage du Dr Fitch, je conclus que, en conséquence des blessures qu’elle a subies dans l’accident de la route survenu le 1er février 2011 et de la douleur chronique dont elle souffre en raison de ces blessures et qui a exacerbé sa douleur chronique modérée dont elle souffrait précédemment, Mme Matthews est totalement incapable de réintégrer le marché du travail et ce, depuis le jour del’accident de la route.
Ses blessures et son état portent aussi considérablement atteinte à sa capacité d’effectuer ses activités quotidiennesrégulières, et limitent celle-ci. […] [par. 53] [59] Dans des cas de « vulnérabilité de la victime », la question de savoir si l’état préexistant était latent ou actif estsans importance, à condition qu’il n’était pas dégénérescent. L’extrait souvent cité de la décision de la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Athey c.
Leonati, (SCC), [1996] 3 R.C.S. 458, [1996] A.C.S. no 102 (QL), vaut la peine d’être répété : Il n’est pas et il n’a jamais été nécessaire que le demandeur établisse que la négligence du défendeur a été la seule cause du préjudice.Fréquemment, une myriade d’autres facteurs ont été des préalables nécessaires à la réalisation du préjudice.
Pour reprendre un exemple du professeur Fleming, (The Law of Torts (8e éd. 1992), à la p. 193), [traduction] « un incendie dans une corbeille à papier est […] causénon seulement par le fait d’y jeter une allumette enflammée, mais aussi par la présence de matériaux combustibles et d’oxygène, parl’omission du nettoyeur de vider le panier et par d’autres facteurs du genre ». Dans la mesure où le défendeur est en
partie la cause dupréjudice, il engage sa responsabilité, même si son acte était insuffisant à lui seul pour concrétiser le préjudice. Il n’y a aucune raison deréduire la responsabilité parce qu’il existait d’autres préalables : le défendeur reste responsable de tout préjudice qu’il a causé oucontribué à causer par sa négligence. [par. 17] [60] Finalement, l’évaluation globale des dommages-intérêts que le juge a réalisée commande un très haut degré dedéférence en appel.
À moins d’être le résultat de l’application du mauvais principe de droit ou le produit d’une évaluation desdommages-intérêts entachée d’une erreur sérieuse, la somme octroyée ne peut être modifiée.
Ce fait a été établi clairement dans l’arrêtWallace : À défaut d’une erreur de droit grave (par exemple, l’omission de respecter les volontés du législateur), d’une erreur importante liée à unprincipe (par exemple, l’omission de respecter des règles de common law bien établies) ou d’une erreur manifeste et dominante dansl’évaluation de la preuve, il n’y a lieu de modifier l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts établie par le juge du procès que si elle est« manifestement incorrecte » ou entachée d’une « erreur sérieuse » […]. [par. 23] [61] Je ne détecte aucune erreur de la sorte et je suis d’avis de rejeter ces deux moyens d’appel.
D. Les cinquième, sixième et septième moyens d’appel : l’évaluation de la preuve ayant trait à la capacité de gain résiduelle, lalimitation du préjudice et la préférence accordée à des éléments de preuve [62] Ces trois moyens d’appel se rapportent aux témoignages d’expert dont un juge peut tenir compte et à la question de savoir s’il peut préférer un expert à un autre. Mme McIntyre soutient que le juge a omis d’expliquer pourquoi il n’a pas tenu compte des rapports de M.
Sean Fitzgerald, l’expert dans le domaine de l’emploi appelé par Mme Matthews, et pourquoi l’avis du Dr Fitch en matière de capacité fonctionnelle et d’employabilité a été préféré à celui de M. Fitzgerald. [63] Au par. 52 de la décision, le juge a clairement examiné la preuve dans son ensemble et a conclu que, dans la mesure où les opinions du Dr Fitch étaient différentes de celles des autres médecins, prestataires de traitements ou évaluateurs (y compris M. Fitzgerald), il préférait le témoignage du Dr Fitch pour les motifs que j’ai déjà exposés.
Dans les circonstances de l’espèce, il avaitraison et était en droit d’agir ainsi. [64] Un juge de première instance n’a aucune obligation d’accepter l’opinion d’un témoin expert. Voir Gauthier c. Beaumont, (SCC), [1998] 2 R.C.S. 3, [1998] A.C.S. no 55 (QL); Lawson c. Poirier Estate (1999), (NB CA), 211 R.N.-B. (2e) 41, [1999] A.N.-B. no 207 (C.A.) (QL); Losier c. Losier (1996), (NB CA), 182 R.N.-B. (2e) 220, [1996] A.N.-B. no 457 (C.A.) (QL).
[65] M me McIntyre invoque la décision de notre Cour dans l’arrêt Saulnier c. LeBlanc , 2005 NBCA 79 , 288 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 160 , à l’appui de son argument selon lequel le juge en l’espèce ne pouvait pas faire fi du témoignage de M. Fitzgerald, tout en préférant celui de D r Fitch, en ce qui concerne la capacité de gain résiduelle de M me Matthews. Cet argument échoue pour deux raisons. [66] Premièrement, l’affaire Saulnier n’en est pas une où les deux experts ont témoigné sur le même sujet et où le juge a préféré le témoignage d’un expert à celui de l’autre.
Dans cette affaire, le juge a préféré le témoignage d’un physiatre à celui d’un psychiatre selon lequel la capacité de travailler de la demanderesse était réduite en raison de sa dépression et de sa maladie, ce sur quoi le physiatre a rapidement reconnu qu’il n’avait pas les compétences requises pour se prononcer. Pourtant, le juge de première instance s’est fondé uniquement sur le témoignage du physiatre pour réduire les dommages-intérêts auxquels la demanderesse avait droit.
Il n’a pas du tout traité de la preuve du psychiatre. [67] En appel, notre Cour a conclu que le juge du procès avait commis une erreur manifeste et dominante en ne traitant pas de la preuve du psychiatre relative à la composante psychologique de la demande de la demanderesse ayant trait à la capacité de gain résiduelle. [68] Le cas qui nous occupe est complètement différent. Le juge a entendu le témoignage du D r Fitch, qui avait déjà traité, au cours de sa longue carrière, de la question de la capacité d’un patient d’occuper un emploi. Il a aussi entendu le témoignage de M.
Fitzgerald, dont l’expertise portait notamment sur l’employabilité et la capacité de placement d’une personne au sein du secteur pertinent du marché du travail. M. Fitzgerald n’est pas un médecin praticien et l’opinion qu’il exprime doit se limiter à l’interprétation qu’il donne à la preuve médicale en ce qui concerne la manière dont une personne, malgré ses limitations physiques, peut avoir une capacité de gain résiduelle et comment cette capacité pourrait mener à emploi.
Dans le cadre de l’évaluation de la capacité de gain résiduelle de M me Matthews, dans la mesure où le D r Fitch était d’avis que cette dernière n’avait aucune telle capacité, le juge n’avait pas besoin de s’engager dans une analyse de l’opinion de M. Fitzgerald sur les sujets étroitement liés de l’employabilité et de la capacité de placement d’une personne.
En effet, le D r Fitch a témoigné qu’il avait développé son opinion en effectuant sa propre évaluation et aussi en tenant compte de l’évaluation des aptitudes professionnelles. [69] Cela nous apporte à la seconde raison pour laquelle l’argument de M me McIntyre échoue. Le témoignage de M. Fitzgerald était en grande
partie compatible avec celui du D r Fitch et ne le contredisait pas du tout, contrairement à ce qu’affirme M me McIntyre. Au mieux, l’opinion de M. Fitzgerald quant à la capacité de gain résiduelle était équivoque. Avant de me pencher sur les détails de cette opinion, je note que M. Fitzgerald avait tenu compte de l’avis de Lloyd Richard, qui avait évalué la capacité fonctionnelle de M me Matthews. Il a aussi témoigné au procès et une observation doit être faite au sujet de son témoignage. [70] M.
Richard a affirmé que le seul emploi pouvant être envisagé pour M me Matthews était un poste de vente au détail de première ligne, un poste qui exige principalement que la personne qui l’occupe se tienne debout ou se déplace à pied, avec peu d’occasions pour s’asseoir. M. Richard était d’avis, selon son évaluation, que M me Matthews aurait de la difficulté à répondre aux exigences d’un tel poste d’une manière fia