2016 FCA 186, 2016 FCA 186
Opinion
[2017] 2 F.C.R. 3 A-296-15 A-195-16 2016 FCA 186 Kruger Incorporated ( Appellant ) v. Her Majesty the Queen ( Respondent ) Indexed as: Kruger Incorporated v. Canada Federal Court of Appeal, Noël C.J., Scott and de Montigny JJ.A.—Montréal, April 13; Ottawa, June 22, 2016.
Income Tax — Income Calculation — Corporations — Foreign currency option contracts — Mark to market valuation — Appeals from Tax Court of Canada (T.C.C.) decisions allowing in part appellant’s appeal against reassessment with respect to 1998 taxation year; awarding costs in favour of respondent — Appellant purchasing, selling foreign currency option contracts — Using mark to market accounting for foreign exchange operations — Recording loss at close of 1998 taxation year — Appellant using mark to market valuation, deducting as a loss difference between value of contracts at inception, value at year end — Also deferring, amortizing premiums paid, received over term to maturity — Minister of National Revenue denying claimed loss, taking view that appellant having to record income in conformity with principle of realization — T.C.C. finding that except for Income Tax Act , ss. 142.2 –142.5, Income Tax Regulations , s. 1801 , no legislative provision authorizing use of mark to market valuation — Holding, inter alia, that foreign exchange option contracts having to be valued at their historical costs — As to appellant’s alternative contention foreign exchange option contracts inventory that could be valued at cost, fair market value or strict fair market value, quoting definition of “inventory” in Act, s. 248(1) , noting no requirement that qualifying property be held for sale — Finding foreign exchange option contracts qualifying as inventory, could be valued on mark to market basis — Reaching opposite conclusion with respect to contracts written by appellant — Main issues herein whether appellant authorized under Act to use mark to market accounting; whether all appellant’s foreign exchange options qualifying as inventory, recorded loss having to be recognized pursuant to Act, s. 10(1) , Regulations, s. 1801 — No basis to reject appellant’s use of mark to market accounting in computing income from dealings in foreign exchange options — T.C.C.’s treatment of realization principle as overarching principle running counter to decisions of Supreme Court of Canada in Canderel Ltd. v.
Canada, Ikea Ltd. v. Canada — Realization principle may give way to other methods of computing income — Supreme Court in Canadian General Electric Co. v.
Minister of National Revenue contradicting T.C.C.’s holding that realization overarching principle applying in absence of provision authorizing or requiring application of different method — No basis to hold mark to market accounting not providing accurate picture of appellant’s income — Appellant making prima facie demonstration thereof — Foreign exchange options purchased by appellant not qualifying as inventory as not held for sale — Condition that qualifying property be “held for sale” must be read into definition of “inventory” in Act, s. 248(1) when regard is had to S.C.C. decision in Friesen v.
Canada — “Inventory” therein applying to property held for sale both in year of sale, in years where property remaining unsold — Parliament leaving meaning of “inventory”, as construed in Friesen, untouched in amended Act — Appellant’s purchased foreign exchange options type of property not qualifying as inventory or capital property — Written options escaping all three labels — Yet, evolving value of both instruments relevant in determining appellant’s income — While Act premised on existence of two broad classes of property, imposing no limit on types of property or liabilities that can impact computation of income since goal pursuant to Act, s. 9 is to provide accurate picture of income — Reassessment referred back to Minister for reconsideration — Appeals allowed.
These were consolidated appeals from decisions of the Tax Court of Canada (T.C.C.) allowing in part the appellant’s earlier appeal against a reassessment issued by the Minister of National Revenue (Minister) with respect to its 1998 taxation year; and awarding costs in favour of the respondent in the course of a separate judgment rendered six months after the decision on the merits. The appellant, a manufacturer of newsprint and other paper products, began, in the 1980’s, to purchase and sell foreign currency option contracts.
Starting in 1997, the appellant began to account for its foreign exchange operations using mark to market accounting for financial reporting purposes. The appellant recorded a loss at the close of its 1998 taxation year due to the high number of contracts that it held at that time and the historical dip which the Canadian dollar took in relation to the U.S. dollar in the course of that year.
Mark to market accounting is an accrual method of accounting whereby both the writer and the purchaser value the option at market as at balance sheet date—in this case December 31, 1998—and recognize any change in the market value as a gain or loss for the period. For that purpose, the premium reflects the value of the option at inception, positive in the case of the purchaser and negative for the writer. The appellant closed “very few” positions prior to maturity in 1998 and rolled over its options to 1999 in the expectation that the Canadian dollar would firm up in the short term, which it did.
For the purpose of computing income from its foreign exchange option operations for the year in issue, the appellant marked to market the value of each contract to which it was a party at year end and deducted as a loss the difference between their value at inception based on the above computation and their value at year end. In addition, the appellant “deferred and amortized” the premiums paid and received over the term to maturity of the related option.
The Minister denied the claimed loss, taking the view that the appellant could not use the mark to market method of accounting, but had to record income in conformity with the principle of realization, according to which the premium is taken into account only when the option expires or is transferred. The Minister removed from income the premiums that the appellant had included. The T.C.C. found that, with the exception of sections 142.2 to 142.5 of the Income Tax Act and
section 1801 of the Income Tax Regulations , no legislative provision authorizes the use of mark to market valuation. The T.C.C. held, inter alia , that absent a statutory provision authorizing the appellant to depart from the realization principle, the foreign exchange option contracts had to be valued at their historical costs, so that no loss of profit could be recognized from dealing in these contracts until they were actually disposed of or expired.
As to the appellant’s alternative contention that its foreign exchange option contracts were inventory and that it was therefore entitled to value these contracts at year end at the lower of cost or fair market value or on a strict fair market value, the T.C.C. quoted the definition of “inventory” in subsection 248(1) of the Act and noted that there is no requirement that qualifying property be held for sale.
The T.C.C. found that the foreign exchange option contracts qualified as inventory as they constituted “property” within the meaning of the definition found in subsection 248(1). The T.C.C. reached the opposite conclusion with respect to the contracts written by the appellant, as they only embodied liabilities. The T.C.C. therefore held that the purchased foreign exchange contracts were inventory (and could be valued on a mark to market basis), but that the written contracts were not.
The Minister accepted the appellant’s values based on the advice that “the best estimate of the fair market value of the inventory of foreign currency option contracts owned by [the appellant] as of December 31, 1998 is the mark to market value determined by the financial institutions which were the counterparties to the contracts”. The T.C.C. relied on this evidence to hold that the Crown was entitled to a measure of costs notwithstanding that the appeal was allowed in 2016 TCC 14 in support of the cost award in file A-195-16.
The main issues were whether the appellant was authorized under the Act to use mark to market accounting or whether it was bound to apply the principle of realization; and whether all its foreign exchange options qualify as inventory and that the recorded loss must, on that account, be recognized pursuant to subsection 10(1) of the Act and
section 1801 of the Regulations. Held , the appeals should be allowed. There was no basis on which the Tax Court could reject the appellant’s use of mark to market accounting in computing income from its dealings in foreign exchange options. The T.C.C. treated the realization principle as an overarching principle, an approach which runs counter to the decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada in Canderel Ltd. v. Canada and Ikea Ltd. v. Canada . The realization principle can give way to other methods of computing income pursuant to
section 9 of the Act where these can be shown to provide a more accurate picture of the taxpayer’s income for the year. The Supreme Court decision in Canadian General Electric Co. v. Minister of National Revenue is in direct contradiction with the T.C.C.’s holding that realization is an overarching principle that applies in the absence of a provision authorizing or requiring the application of a different method. The decision of the Supreme Court in Friesen v. Canada does not stand for the proposition that realization is “a general principle of taxation” which applies unless “the Act provides [for] an exception”.
There is therefore no authority for the T.C.C.’s proposition that the principle of realization applies to the exclusion of mark to market accounting unless the Act provides otherwise. Because mark to market accounting cannot be excluded as a competing method the question to be answered, when regard is had to the framework of analysis set out in Canderel , was whether the appellant discharged the onus of showing that mark to market accounting provides an accurate picture of its income for the year.
There was no basis on which to hold that mark to market accounting does not procure an accurate picture of the appellant’s income under the Act. As it is otherwise undisputed that this method is consistent with well accepted business principles, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and international accounting, the appellant made a prima facie demonstration that mark to market accounting provides an accurate reflection of its income. The foreign exchange options purchased by the appellant during its 1998 taxation year and rolled over to 1999 do not qualify as inventory as they were not held for sale.
Subsection 10(1) of the Act , by the use of the word “shall”, requires a taxpayer who carries on a business to value inventory on hand at the end of a taxation year at the lower of cost or fair market value. The result is that when the fair market value of inventory has fallen below cost at the end of a given taxation year, the fall in value is recognized in that year.
Section 1801 of the Regulations when applied to the circumstances of the appellant provides for the same treatment. There was no doubt that the Act departs from GAAP in allowing intangible property to be treated as inventory. There was equally no doubt that the T.C.C. properly held that because the written options only embody a liability, they are not “property” and therefore cannot form part of “inventory”. The broader issue was whether “inventory”, as defined in subsection 248(1), extends to property that is not held for sale.
While the appellant was in the business of making money with options, it was not in the business of purchasing options for resale nor was it holding its options for sale. The precise evidence on point is that all the options on hand at the close of the 1998 taxation year were rolled over to 1999 in the expectation that the Canadian dollar would firm up.
Although the definition of “inventory” in subsection 248(1) does not spell out the requirement that qualifying property be “held for sale”, this condition must be read into the definition when regard is had to Friesen , wherein it was determined that “inventory” is property which a business holds for sale and this term applies to that property both in the year of sale and in years where the property remains as yet unsold by a business. Although the Act was amended shortly after Friesen , Parliament left the defined meaning of the word “inventory”, as construed in that case, untouched.
As a result, qualifying property must both impact on the computation of income and be held for sale. Giving effect to this meaning, the foreign exchange options purchased by the appellant during its 1998 taxation year and rolled over to 1999 do not qualify as inventory as they were not held for sale. It necessarily follows that the purchased options are a type of property that is neither capital property nor inventory. The appellant’s foreign exchange option contracts are not inventory as this would entail giving the word “inventory” a meaning which Friesen itself excludes.
The reluctance of the courts to recognize categories of property beyond inventory and capital property must give way where, as here, it becomes necessary to do so in order to apply the Act. The purchased options are property under the Act but they are neither capital property nor inventory. In contrast, the written options escape all three labels since they only embody the obligation to deliver funds in the future. Yet, the evolving value of both instruments was relevant in determining the appellant’s income under the Act.
In short, although the Act is premised on the existence of two broad classes of property, it imposes no limit on the types of property or indeed liabilities that can impact on the computation of income and that must be recognized for that purpose since the goal pursuant to
section 9 of the Act is to provide an accurate picture of that income. The reassessment was referred back to the Minister for reconsideration and reassessment on the basis that the appellant is entitled to compute the income derived from its foreign exchange option contracts in accordance with the mark to market method of accounting, that is in conformity with its tax return position but without deferring or amortizing any portion of the premiums paid or received during the 1998 taxation year.
STATUTES AND REGULATIONS CITED Income Tax Act , R.S.C., 1985 (5th Supp.), c. 1, ss. 9, 10(1) , (1.01) , (5) , 18(1) (e), 142.2 to 142.6 , 181 to 181.71 , 248(1) “business”, “inventory”, “property”. Income Tax Regulations , C.R.C., c. 945, s. 1801. CASES CITED
APPLIED: Canderel Ltd. v. Canada, (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 147, (1998), 155 D.L.R. (4th) 257; Canadian General Electric Co. v.Minister of National Revenue, (SCC), [1962] S.C.R. 3; Friesen v. Canada, (SCC), [1995] 3 S.C.R. 103,(1995), 127 D.L.R. (4th) 193; Ikea Ltd. v. Canada, (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 196, (1998), 155 D.L.R. (4th) 295. CONSIDERED: Friedberg v. Canada, [1993] 4 S.C.R. 285, , affg (1991), (FCA), 92 DTC 6031, 135 N.R. 61(F.C.A.), revg in part (1989), (FC), 89 DTC 5115, 25 F.T.R. 22 (F.C.T.D.); C.A.E. Inc. v. Canada, 2013 FCA 92,[2013] 4 C.T.C. 160. REFERRED TO: Associated Investors of Canada Ltd. v.
Minister of National Revenue, (CA EXC), [1967] 2 Ex. C.R. 96, [1967] C.T.C.138; Minister of National Revenue v. Curlett, [1967] S.C.R. 280, ; Dobieco Ltd. v. Minister of National Revenue, [1966]S.C.R. 95, ; CDSL Canada Ltd. v. Canada, 2008 FCA 400, 402 N.R. 7; Tip Top Tailors Ltd. v.
Minister of NationalRevenue, [1957] S.C.R. 703, . appEALS from decisions of the Tax Court of Canada allowing in part the appellant’s earlier appeal (2015 TCC 119, [2015] 5 C.T.C.2006) against a reassessment issued by the Minister of National Revenue with respect to its 1998 taxation year; and awarding costs infavour of the respondent in the course of a separate judgment (2016 TCC 14, 2016 DTC 1021) rendered six months after the decision onthe merits. Appeals allowed. APPEARANCES Louis Tassé, Roger E. Taylor and Rachel Robert for appellant. Josée Tremblay and Josh Kumar for respondent.
SOLICITORS OF RECORD EY Law LLP, Montréal, for appellant. Deputy Attorney General of Canada for respondent. The following are the reasons for judgment rendered in English by [1] Noël C.J.: These are consolidated appeals brought by Kruger Incorporated (the appellant). The appeal in file A-296-15 is from adecision by former Chief Justice Rip of the Tax Court of Canada (Kruger Incorporated v.
The Queen, 2015 TCC 119, [2015] 5 C.T.C.2006 [reasons]), sitting as a supernumerary judge (the Tax Court Judge), allowing in part the appellant’s earlier appeal against areassessment issued by the Minister of National Revenue (the Minister) with respect to its 1998 taxation year. By this reassessment, theMinister denied business losses aggregating $91 104 379 which the appellant claimed in its tax return for that year.
The losses inquestion arise from dealing in foreign exchange options. [2] The appeal in file A-195-16 is directed at the cost award made by the Tax Court Judge in favour of Her Majesty the Queen (theCrown or respondent) in the course of a separate judgment rendered some six months after the decision on the merits (2016 TCC 14,2016 DTC 1021).
The appellant in lodging this appeal merely seeks to insure that the Court is in a position to address this award in theevent that its appeal on the merits is successful. [3] The primary issue turns on the method according to which the appellant can compute income from dealing in foreign exchange options pursuant to
section 9 of the Income Tax Act, R.S.C., 1985 (5th Supp.), c. 1 (the Act). The Tax Court Judge agreed with theMinister’s contention that in computing income from that source, the profit or losses could only be recognized when realized, therebyrejecting the appellant’s use of mark to market accounting as an acceptable method for computing income under the Act.
However, heaccepted, in part, the appellant’s alternative argument that its foreign exchange option contracts were inventory, and could on thataccount give rise to a loss based on their value at year end. [4] The appellant takes issue with the conclusion reached by the Tax Court Judge on the primary issue and both parties challenge theconclusion which he reached on the alternative issue. [5] For the reasons which follow, I would allow the appeal on the basis that the Tax Court Judge did not adhere to established caselaw and did not follow the framework of analysis set out in Canderel Ltd. v.
Canada, (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 147(Canderel) in rejecting mark to market accounting.
I would also find in the alternative that, having regard to the meaning of the word“inventory” as defined in subsection 248(1) of the Act and the findings of fact made by the Tax Court Judge, it was not open to him tohold that any of the foreign exchange option contracts to which the appellant was a party, on December 31, 1998, were inventory. [6] In the reasons which follow, the contracts to which the appellant was a party during the relevant period are at times referred to as“foreign exchange option contracts” or “foreign exchange options”; nothing turns on this difference.
The provisions of the Act which arerelevant to the analysis are reproduced in Annex I. BACKGROUND AND FACTS [7] The relevant facts are set out in detail in the decision under appeal and need not be repeated. It is sufficient for present purposesto provide a brief
summary.
[ 8 ] The appellant is a long established manufacturer of newsprint and other paper products (reasons, at paragraph 11). The better portion of its receivables (approximately 80 percent) has traditionally been in U.S. dollars (reasons, at paragraph 12). [ 9 ] In order to reduce its exposure to foreign currencies, principally the U.S. dollar, the appellant began during the 1980’s to purchase and sell foreign currency option contracts (reasons, at paragraph 13).
Over time, it developed considerable expertise in dealing with these options to the point that it began “to generate and produce profits [from this activity] on an individual profit center basis” (reasons, at paragraph 18). [ 10 ] The appellant eventually became an industry leader in terms of volume of dollar purchases of derivative products ranking amongst the top three or four non-banking enterprises in Quebec, after the Caisse de dépôt and Hydro-Québec (reasons, at paragraphs 14 and 38). [ 11 ] The appellant both bought and sold (i.e.: wrote) foreign exchange options (reasons, at paragraphs 18, 24 and 35).
The writer’s upside is limited to the premium it charges for issuing the option but the potential downside is unlimited as it hinges on the evolving strength or weakness of the respective currencies at play. In contrast, the purchaser can lose no more than the premium which it pays to acquire the option but benefits from a conversely unlimited upside. [ 12 ] Starting in 1997, the appellant began to account for its foreign exchange operations using mark to market accounting for financial reporting purposes.
The Tax Court Judge suggests that 1998 was the initial year (reasons, at paragraph 24), but the evidence indicates that mark to market began to be used in 1997 (appeal book, Vol. 15, page 3005). [ 13 ] All the foreign exchange option contracts to which the appellant was a party at the close of its 1998 taxation year were entered into during that year and were to be exercised during the following year (reasons, at paragraph 3). Amongst these, the contracts written by the appellant exceeded the contracts that it purchased by a margin of four to one (reasons, at paragraph 30).
The appellant attributes the magnitude of the loss which it recorded at the close of its 1998 taxation year to the high number of contracts which it held at that time and the historical dip which the Canadian dollar took in relation to the U.S. dollar in the course of that year (reasons, at paragraphs 29 to 33). [ 14 ] Mark to market accounting is an accrual method of accounting whereby both the writer and the purchaser value the option at market as at balance sheet date—in this case December 31, 1998—and recognize any change in the market value as a gain or loss for the period (reasons, at paragraph 2e; expert report of Patricia L.
O’Malley, appeal book, Vol. 12, page 2410, at paragraphs 26, 32 and 33). For that purpose, the premium reflects the value of the option at inception, positive in the case of the purchaser and negative for the writer (appeal book, Vol. 17, pages 3393 to 3397). [ 15 ] All or almost all of the foreign exchange option contracts in issue were “European options” i.e.: options which are traded privately—“over the counter” in trade terms—and which may only be exercised on their expiry date (reasons, at paragraph 2(
b) and (h)). These options could be transferred before that date with the consent of the non-transferring counterparty (reasons, at paragraph 45). The parties could also choose to lock in the profit or limit the loss inherent in these options (i.e.: close the position) by entering into an offsetting option contract (reasons, at paragraph 43; appeal book, Vol. 2, page 227; Vol. 13, pages 2700 to 2711). In this regard, the foreign currency option market was and continues to be fully liquid (appeal book, Vol. 2, pages 207, 208 and 227; Vol. 13, pages 2681 and 2716 to 2718; Vol. 17, page 3364).
The appellant decided to close “very few” positions prior to maturity in 1998 (reasons, at paragraph 29) and to “roll over” its options to 1999 in the expectation that the Canadian dollar would firm up in the short term, which it did (reasons, at paragraphs 31 to 33). [ 16 ] For the purpose of computing income from its foreign exchange option operations for the year in issue, the appellant marked to market the value of each contract to which it was a party at year end and deducted as a loss the difference between their value at inception based on the above computation (reasons, at paragraph 14) and their value at year end, as provided by the financial institutions or banks which were the counterparties to these contracts.
In addition, the appellant “deferred and amortized” the premiums paid and received over the term to maturity of the related option (although the notes to the financial statements indicate that only the premium income received on written options was treated this way (appeal book, Vol. 2, page 244), the working papers show that for tax purposes this treatment was applied to all premiums, both received and paid (appeal book, Vol. 10, pages 2032 to 2057).
As a result, the net amount of premiums to December 31, 1998 was included in income for that year, i.e. $18 696 881, and the balance, i.e. $32 883 453, was deferred to 1999 (reasons, at paragraph 4, footnote 4). [ 17 ] By notice of reassessment issued July 15, 2002, the Minister denied the claimed loss, taking the view that the appellant could not use the mark to market method of accounting, but had to record income in conformity with the principle of realization.
Consistent with this principle—according to which the premium is taken into account only when the option expires or is transferred—the Minister removed from income the premiums which the appellant had included. The net effect of the reassessment was to add to the declared income of the appellant the amount of $72 407 498, i.e.: the difference between the loss claimed—$91 104 379—and the amortized portion of the premiums—$18 696 881. The large corporations tax under
Part I.3 [section 181 to 181.71] of the Act was reassessed accordingly. [ 18 ] Because all the options held by the appellant at the close of its 1998 taxation year were to expire during the following year, and because the loss or profit generated over the life of any given contract is the same regardless of the method used, the underlying issue is one of timing only (reasons, at paragraph 68).
DECISION OF THE TAX COURT JUDGE [ 19 ] The Tax Court Judge first addressed the contention advanced by the Crown that the appellant did not implement the mark to market method of accounting given that it amortized the net amount of premiums for the year in issue (reasons, at paragraph 8). The Tax Court Judge was invited to dismiss the appeal on the basis that even if the appellant was entitled to use mark to market accounting, it had not in fact implemented this method. [ 20 ] This submission was advanced on the heel of uncontested expert evidence adduced by the Crown which showed that the
amortization of the premiums did not conform with mark to market accounting (expert report of Patricia L. O’Malley and relatedPowerPoint slide “Comparison Between MTM and Kruger’s Method”, appeal book, Vol. 12, page 2410, at paragraphs 26, 32 and 33;and page 2463J; and Vol. 17, page 3345). [21] The Tax Court Judge refused to consider the respondent’s submission on this point because the argument was not announced inthe Crown’s pleadings.
He noted that although the appropriateness of amortizing the premiums in mark to market accounting had beenraised, it was not alleged that the “very foundation of [the appellant’s] method of valuing its option contracts was [thereby] beingchallenged” (reasons, at paragraph 10). [22] Although the Crown maintains that the argument was properly advanced (memorandum of the Crown, paragraph 52), no cross-appeal was brought nor does the Crown seek the reversal of the judgment issued by the Tax Court Judge on this ground (memorandum ofthe Crown,
Part IV, “Order Sought”). [23] The Tax Court Judge therefore conducted his analysis on the basis that mark to market accounting was implemented and went onto consider whether the use of this method was permitted (reasons, at paragraph 85 and following). After reviewing the case law,including in particular the decisions of the Supreme Court in Canadian General Electric Co. v. Minister of National Revenue, (SCC), [1962] S.C.R. 3 (Canadian General Electric); Friedberg v. Canada, (SCC), [1993] 4 S.C.R. 285(Friedberg); Canderel; and Friesen v.
Canada, (SCC), [1995] 3 S.C.R. 103 (Friesen), the Tax Court Judge expressedthe view that “a general principle of taxation is that neither profits nor losses are recognized under the Act until realized except if the Actprovides an exception to the realization principle” (reasons, at paragraph 104). [24] Although he found that the method employed by the appellant was consistent with well accepted business principles andgenerally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), the Tax Court Judge observed that, with the exception of sections 142.2 to 142.5 ofthe Act and
section 1801 of the Income Tax Regulations, C.R.C., c. 945 (the ITR), no legislative provision authorizes the use of mark tomarket valuation.
Because foreign exchange option contracts do not come within the ambit of sections 142.2 to 142.5 of the Act, the TaxCourt Judge held that Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) administrative policy allowing banks and financial institutions to use mark tomarket accounting with respect to these contracts, was of no assistance to the appellant (reasons, at paragraph 115). [25] The Tax Court Judge went on to hold that absent a statutory provision authorizing the appellant to depart from the realizationprinciple, the foreign exchange option contracts had to be valued at their historical costs, so that no loss of profit could be recognizedfrom dealing in these contracts until they were actually disposed of or expired (reasons, at paragraph 114). [26] Before closing on this issue, the Tax Court Judge indicated that even if he had found that the appellant was entitled to use markto market accounting, he “would not find that the inconsistent bank values used by [the appellant] was [sic] properly applied incalculating its losses” (reasons, at paragraph 116).
While the values ascribed by bank models were reliable, he was concerned by the factthat the appellant obtained its values from different banks which used different models. His confidence was “shaken” by evidenceshowing that two reputable banks—the Bank of Nova Scotia and J.P.
Morgan—had ascribed substantially different values to twoidentical foreign exchange option contracts (reasons, at paragraph 116). [27] The Tax Court Judge went on to address the appellant’s alternative contention that its foreign exchange option contracts wereinventory and that it was therefore entitled to value these contracts at year end at the lower of cost or fair market value pursuant tosubsection 10(1) of the Act or on a strict fair market value basis pursuant to
section 1801 of the ITR. He began by noting that inventoryrequires the existence of property, “the cost or value of [which] must be relevant in computing a taxpayer’s income from a business”(reasons, at paragraph 124). [28] According to the Tax Court Judge, the appellant was carrying on the business of speculating on foreign exchange optioncontracts, which sometimes involved “selling and purchasing” those contracts (reasons, at paragraphs 38 and 125).
He quoted thedefinition of “inventory” in subsection 248(1) and noted that there is no requirement that qualifying property be held for sale (reasons, atparagraphs 123 and 124). [29] The Tax Court Judge went on to find that the foreign exchange option contracts purchased by the appellant, because theyconveyed rights, qualified as inventory as they constituted “property” within the meaning of the definition found in subsection 248(1) ofthe Act.
He reached the opposite conclusion with respect to the contracts written by the appellant, as they only embodied liabilities(reasons, at paragraphs 121, 122 and 130 to 132). [30] The Tax Court Judge therefore held that the purchased foreign exchange contracts were inventory, but that the written contractswere not. Giving effect to this conclusion, the judgment which he issued allows the appeal and permits the appellant to value itspurchased contracts on a mark to market basis.
Because of the concerns which he expressed about the reliability of the values used by theappellant, the judgment specifies that “[t]his assumes the values are not in dispute” (judgment; appeal book, Vol. 1, page 6), therebyleaving it to the Minister to accept or refuse the appellant’s values. [31] As it turned out, the appellant’s values were accepted.
In the debate which ensued as to costs, the Crown took the position thatthe appellant could not claim to have been successful at trial because although the appeal was allowed, the judgment given did not havethe effect of reducing the amount of taxes payable by the appellant for the year. For the purpose of making this demonstration, theCrown asked the Minister to execute the judgment.
In giving effect to the judgment, the Minister’s official used the appellant’s valuesbased on the advice that “according to the evidence tendered at trial, the best estimate of the fair market value of the inventory of foreigncurrency option contracts owned by [the appellant] as of December 31, 1998 is the [mark] to market value determined by the financialinstitutions which were the counterparties to the contracts” (affidavit of Denis Dionne, sworn September 15, 2015, paragraph 6b), filedduring the hearing of the appeal).
The Tax Court Judge accepted this demonstration and relied on this evidence to hold that the Crownwas entitled to a measure of costs notwithstanding that the appeal was allowed (reasons in support of the cost award in file A-195-16[2016 TCC 14], at paragraphs 4 and 20). POSITION OF THE PARTIES
- The Appellant [32] The appellant submits that mark to market accounting is an appropriate way of computing income derived from its foreignexchange option contracts pursuant to
section 9 of the Act, and advances a number of arguments in support of that proposition. [33] First, the appellant contends that the basic objectives of GAAP overlap significantly with profit computation for tax purposes, asthey both strive for “an accurate picture of income for the year, one that depicts the reality of the financial situation of the taxpayer forthe year” (memorandum of the appellant, paragraph 51). [34] Second, the appellant argues that the Tax Court Judge erred in applying the principle of realization as an overarching principlewhich must be followed, absent a statutory provision providing otherwise.
In the appellant’s view, the decisions of the Supreme Court inCanderel and Ikea Ltd. v.
Canada, (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 196 (Ikea) exemplify the flaw in the Tax Court Judge’sdecision, for in both decisions there would not have been any dispute had the principle of realization been given the sweeping effectpropounded by the Tax Court Judge (memorandum of the appellant, paragraphs 55 to 57). [35] Thus, the Tax Court Judge failed to follow the framework set out in Canderel which requires first a determination as to whethervaluating the foreign exchange option contracts in accordance with the mark to market method as the appellant did is appropriate in thesense that it provides an accurate picture of profit for the 1998 taxation year.
Had he done so, the Tax Court Judge would have found thatthe mark to market method was appropriate. This conclusion is reinforced by the decision of the Supreme Court in Canadian GeneralElectric where it was held that gains and losses on income account resulting from foreign currency fluctuation may be recorded on anaccrual basis for tax purposes.
This is clear authority, argues the appellant, that mark to market accounting should take precedence overthe realization principle with respect to its foreign exchange option contracts (memorandum of the appellant, paragraphs 58 to 60). [36] The appellant adds that the decision of the Supreme Court in Friedberg does not bar the use of an alternative method, as the onlyissue before the Court in that case was whether the Crown had demonstrated that the taxpayer’s adoption of the realization method wasinappropriate.
Friedberg does not foreclose the use of profit computation methods other than realization in appropriate circumstances(memorandum of the appellant, paragraph 62). [37] Third, the appellant submits that the introduction of mandatory mark to market valuations for financial institutions throughsections 142.2 to 142.6 of the Act was intended to ensure that income is measured appropriately.
The CRA’s administrative policiesextending that treatment to foreign exchange option contracts held by financial institutions, notwithstanding that such contracts falloutside the scope of these provisions, reinforces this conclusion (memorandum of the appellant, paragraphs 63 to 67). [38] Fourth, the appellant argues that while realization produces certainty of result, this is not the test mandated by
section 9 of theAct. It is rather the mark to market method which produces the best measure of the results of its business of dealing in foreign exchangeoption contracts.
Indeed, although its losses at the end of the 1998 taxation year were not “realized”, they nevertheless “could have beencrystallized at any time, given the very liquid … option market, by purchasing offsetting contracts from their bank counterparties or otherbanks” (memorandum of the appellant, paragraph 71). [39] Finally, the appellant asserts that the inconsistency found by the Tax Court Judge in respect of the values it used in computing itsincome pursuant to the mark to market method is attributable to clerical errors which it made in preparing its expert report.
The appellantmaintains that once the proper calculations are made, the differences between the values provided by the different bank counterpartiesare inconsequential (memorandum of the appellant, paragraphs 39 to 42). [40] Turning to the inventory issue, the appellant asserts that for purposes of the Act, “[a]ll property that is not capital property isinventory” citing inter alia Friesen, at paragraphs 28, 32, 66 and C.A.E. Inc. v. Canada, 2013 FCA 92, [2013] 4 C.T.C. 160 (C.A.E.), atparagraph 77 (memorandum of the appellant, paragraph 85).
Because the foreign exchange option contracts were not capital property, itnecessarily follows that they are inventory (memorandum of the appellant, paragraph 85). [41] Beyond this, the appellant argues that there is no basis for the Tax Court Judge’s conclusion that the written contracts were notproperty and could not, on that account, be inventory.
Specifically, the appellant submits that the written options embody more than justa liability and therefore come within the definition of “property” in subsection 248(1) of the Act (memorandum of the appellant,paragraph 95): The [writer] of the contract thus has two rights that subsist throughout the contract until maturity …: (
i) the right to retain the premium,pending the outcome of the contract at maturity, and (ii) the right to receive from the purchaser the contract price … contingent upon thepurchaser exercising the option …. [42] Finally, the appellant notes that the Tax Court Judge’s decision leads to an asymmetrical treatment because the income from itspurchased contracts is required to be computed on the basis of marking these contracts to market at year end whereas the income from itswritten contracts is only recognized upon realization.
This imposition of different methods of profit computation to a single business, theappellant argues, cannot yield an accurate picture of the profit from that business (memorandum of the appellant, paragraphs 104 and105). [43] The appellant accordingly asks that the appeal be allowed with costs throughout. - The Crown [44] From the Crown’s perspective, the issues to be decided are whether the Tax Court Judge erred in law in concluding that: • The mark to market method did not provide an accurate picture of the appellant’s income and that the realization method shouldapply; • The options written by the appellant do not constitute inventory whereas the purchased options do (memorandum of the Crown,
at paragraph 26). [45] In addressing the first issue, the Crown stands by the reasons advanced by the Tax Court Judge and submits that he correctly heldthat
section 9 of the Act does not allow the appellant to value its foreign exchange option contracts on a mark to market basis. Indeed,absent a provision to the contrary, profit for tax purposes is only recognized when realized. While mark to market accounting isconsistent with GAAP, the Crown maintains that GAAP are mere interpretative aids and do not amount to rules of law.
The Tax CourtJudge therefore properly concluded that income generated by the appellant’s foreign exchange option contracts had to be recognized on arealization basis, especially as his decision conforms with Friedberg, where it was similarly determined that the mark to market methodwas not appropriate notwithstanding that it may have better described the taxpayer’s profit for some other non-tax purposes(memorandum of the Crown, paragraphs 34 to 38). [46] The Crown’s further argument before the Tax Court Judge that the claimed loss should be denied based on paragraph 18(1)(
e) ofthe Act (reasons, at paragraph 5) was not pursued on appeal. [47] With respect to the second issue, the Crown argues that neither the written or purchased options qualify as inventory. The Crownasserts that the appellant “did not carry on the business of selling and purchasing option contracts”, as its business was rather “to enterinto option contracts with a view to exercise the rights under those it [purchased], and with the hope that its counterparty would notexercise the right it had under the option it wrote” (memorandum of the Crown, paragraph 48).
As such, the appellant’s business was“only based on the execution of the option contracts per se” (memorandum of the Crown, paragraph 48). [48] With specific reference to the written options, the Crown submits that the Tax Court Judge correctly found that these options didnot qualify as property in the appellant’s hands and could not on that account be inventory.
The ownership of these options rather restedin the hands of the financial institutions that acquired them (memorandum of the Crown, paragraph 49). [49] However, the Crown argues that the Tax Court Judge erred in concluding that the purchased options are inventory as they werenot held for sale, a condition which must be met before property can qualify as inventory (memorandum of the Crown, paragraph 50). [50] In this respect, the Crown takes issue with the appellant’s contention that Friesen stands for the proposition that property that isnot capital property is necessarily inventory.
According to the Crown, “[r]eading the … decision in this manner would lead to an absurdresult where cash on hand or accounts receivable appearing on the balance sheet would qualify as inventory” (memorandum of theCrown, paragraph 47). [51] The Crown therefore asks that the appeal on the merits be dismissed with costs, and that the cost award made by the Tax Courtbe affirmed.
ANALYSIS - Mark to market v. realization [52] The determination of a taxpayer’s income from a business pursuant to subsections 9(1) and (2) of the Act gives rise to a questionof law (Friesen, at paragraph 41; Associated Investors of Canada Ltd. v. Minister of National Revenue, (CA EXC),[1967] 2 Ex. C.R. 96, at page 101; Canderel, at paragraphs 32 and 53, point 1).
As such, the Tax Court Judge’s conclusion that thisdetermination must be made in accordance with the principle of realization is to be assessed on the standard of correctness. [53] The precise issue which arises, independently of considerations relating to the treatment of inventory, is whether the foreignexchange option contracts to which the appellant was a party at the close of its 1998 taxation year can give rise to a loss or profit in theabsence of an actual transfer or disposition.
This in turn depends on whether the appellant was authorized under the Act to use mark tomarket accounting in ascertaining the profit or loss generated by its dealings in foreign exchange derivatives or whether it was bound toapply the principle of realization, as the Tax Court Judge held. [54] Before turning to this question it is essential to understand the exact nature of the appellant’s business. In this regard, the TaxCourt Judge found that the appellant “carried on a business of speculating on foreign exchange currency options” (reasons, at paragraph38).
For that purpose, the options held by the appellant in 1998 could be closed by purchasing an offsetting option contract (reasons, atparagraph 43), rolled over to the next year (reasons, at paragraphs 31 to 33) or transferred subject to obtaining the consent of thecounterparty (reasons, at paragraph 45). He further found that this business was conducted separate and apart from the appellant’s corebusiness and on a large scale, in a manner similar to sophisticated traders in foreign exchange options (reasons, at paragraph 38).
The TaxCourt Judge also accepted that by writing more options than it purchased, the appellant heightened the speculative risk inherent in itsforeign exchange dealings but also increased the potential for large profits (reasons, at paragraph 38). [55] The Tax Court Judge had before him extensive evidence as to how income generated by this type of activity is to be portrayed foraccounting and financial reporting purposes.
The record is clear that speculative activity of this type is best reflected by valuing optionpositions at market as of the balance sheet day and by recognizing any change in value from the beginning to the end of the period as again or loss in the income statement (reasons, at paragraphs 2(e), 60 and 62). This is the position advocated by GAAP both in Canadaand the U.S. as well as by the United States Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) (reasons, at paragraph 58).
No evidencegoing the other way was introduced on this point. [56] Despite this evidence and the fact that the Minister accepts that banks and other financial institutions report their income fromsuch activity according to the mark to market method of accounting (reasons, at paragraph 73), the Tax Court Judge held that theappellant could not avail itself of this method. Rather, it had to abide by the principle of realization. The reasons which led the Tax CourtJudge to this conclusion are encapsulated in the following passage (reasons, at paragraph 114): … The realization principle is basic to Canadian tax law.
It provides certainty of a gain or a loss. Without some support of the statutorylanguage or a compelling
interpretation tool it ought not be cast aside. This is found in sections 142.2 to 142.5; these provisions, likesubsection 1801 of the ITR, are exceptions to the realization principle and a departure from the general principle that assets are valued at
their historical cost. [57] The Tax Court Judge noted that sections 142.2 to 142.5 did not authorize the use of the mark to market method with respect toforeign exchange option contracts as these do not come within the defined meaning “mark to market property” (reasons, at paragraph111). He further noted that even though the CRA allows banks and financial institutions to use mark to market accounting, this does notassist the appellant as his task is to apply the law rather than CRA’s administrative policies (reasons, at paragraph 115).
The suggestionis that mark to market accounting is not an acceptable method of reporting income derived from dealing in foreign exchange optionsregardless of who uses this method. [58] Because he was unable to identify any provision in the Act or the ITR which “requires or authorizes” a departure from therealization principle, the Tax Court Judge held that this principle was binding on the appellant.
He came to this conclusion despitefinding that the mark to market method is consistent with well accepted business principles, is GAAP’s preferred basis of accounting forforeign exchange option contracts and that the FASB and international accounting recognize that income generated by such dealings isbest depicted in accordance with this method (reasons, at paragraph 105). [59] I agree with the appellant that in so holding the Tax Court Judge treated the realization principle as an overarching principle, anapproach which runs counter to the decisions of the Supreme Court in Canderel and Ikea.
It is clear from both these decisions that therealization principle can give way to other methods of computing income pursuant to
section 9 of the Act where these can be shown toprovide a more accurate picture of the taxpayer’s income for the year (see in particular Ikea, at paragraphs 40 and 41). [60] The Supreme Court in Canadian General Electric, a decision rendered some 50 years earlier, reached a similar conclusion in acontext more closely connected to the present one.
The issue in that case was whether foreign exchange profits inherent in CanadianGeneral Electric’s (CGE) U.S. dollars liabilities, as evidenced by outstanding promissory notes, could be brought into income on anaccrued basis according to the relative value of the Canadian dollar at year end (CGE’s position), or whether they could only berecognized in the year in which the notes were actually retired (the Minister’s position).
The Supreme Court, in a split decision, upheldCGE’s position and rejected the Minister’s position that realization was mandatory. [61] The Tax Court Judge appeared to distinguish this decision on the basis that the foreign currency income in issue in that case wasgenerated in the context of CGE’s core business (i.e.: the selling of electrical products acquired from U.S. suppliers) and not in thepursuit of a separate business (reasons, at paragraph 96).
While this was no doubt a factor given that CGE reported its income on anaccrual basis, it is clear from the reasons of the judges forming the majority (Martland J., Cartwright J., Ritchie J.) that they would nothave accepted CGE’s method of reporting its foreign exchange profits unless they were satisfied that it provided a fair reflection of theincome derived from the outstanding notes (Canadian General Electric, at paragraphs 35 and 41 [pages 17 and 18 of the S.C.R.]).
Theproposition which flows from this decision is that both methods had their virtues and that CGE was entitled to adopt the one of itschoice, subject to applying it consistently (Canadian General Electric, at paragraphs 41 and 42 [pages 18 and 19 of the S.C.R.]).
In myrespectful view, Canadian General Electric is in direct contradiction with the Tax Court Judge’s holding that realization is anoverarching principle which applies in the absence of a provision authorizing or requiring the application of a different method. [62] The Tax Court Judge also relied on the decision of the Supreme Court in Friedberg, a case involving the tax treatment of goldfutures, specifically whether trading losses could be recognized in the year of realization (Mr.
Friedberg’s position), or whether incomefrom that source had to be accrued over the years during which the gold futures were held by Mr. Friedberg (Crown’s position). In ajudgment delivered from the bench, the Supreme Court dismissed the Crown’s appeal, and confirmed Mr. Friedberg’s entitlement toreport his losses in the year of disposition. [63] Iacobucci J., writing for the Court, noted that even though the method proposed by the Crown may better describe Mr.Friedberg’s income position “for some purposes”, the method used by Mr.
Friedberg was the one to be applied for tax purposes(Friedberg, at paragraph 4 [page 286 of the S.C.R.]). The Tax Court Judge read Friedberg as supporting his conclusion that mark tomarket accounting, although appropriate for financial statement purposes, must give way to the principle of realization when comes timeto determine a taxpayer’s income under the Act (reasons, at paragraphs 108 to 110 and 114). [64] Again, this reading would be in direct contradiction with Canadian General Electric.
Recognizing that the matter is not free fromdoubt, the better view is that in holding that the Crown “ha[d] not demonstrated that there [was] any error in adopting [the realizationmethod]” (Friedberg, at paragraph 3 [page 286]), the Court was leaving open the possibility that the loss could also be accrued in linewith what had been said in the two prior Federal Court decisions which were confirmed (Federal Court, Appeal Division, (1991), (FCA), 92 DTC 6031, at page 6036; Federal Court, Trial Division, (1989), 89 DTC 5115, at page 5122).
Given that noreference was made to Canadian General Electric, it would be inappropriate to read Friedberg as overturning the long standing ruleestablished in that case. [65] In further support for his conclusion, the Tax Court Judge read the decision of the Supreme Court in Friesen as standing for theproposition that realization is “a general principle of taxation” which applies unless “the Act provides [for] an exception” (reasons, atparagraph 104).
I respectfully disagree. [66] Friesen dealt with the narrow question whether a taxpayer who was engaged in a “business” only by reason of the extendeddefinition of that term—i.e.: “business” includes an adventure in the nature of trade (subsection 248(1))—could consider the land, whichhe had bought for resale, as inventory so as to benefit from the write-down in value which subsection 10(1) authorizes. In a split decision,the Court—Major J. writing for the majority—held that a taxpayer engaged in an adventure in the nature of trade was in the sameposition as a regular land trader and that Mr.
Friesen could therefore avail himself of the write-down. Although the reasons acknowledgethat generally neither profits nor losses are recognized until realized (Friesen, at paragraphs 56 and 57), and that realization plays afundamental role under the Act (Friesen, at paragraphs 105 to 109), nothing in the reasons of the majority or the minority indicates thatthis principle cannot be departed from where appropriate, in order to provide an accurate picture of income.
On this point, it is useful torecall that Iacobucci J., who authored the dissenting reasons in Friesen, wrote the unanimous reasons in Canderel and Ikea which rejectrealization as an overarching principle.
[ 67 ] There is therefore no authority for the Tax Court Judge’s proposition that the principle of realization applies to the exclusion of mark to market accounting unless the Act provides otherwise. [ 68 ] Because mark to market accounting cannot be excluded as a competing method the question to be answered, when regard is had to the framework of analysis set out at paragraph 53 of Canderel , is whether the appellant has discharged the onus of showing that mark to market accounting provides an accurate picture of its income for the year. [ 69 ] The Tax Court Judge made no findings in this regard.
Although he asserts on a number of occasions that the goal in determining profit and loss for financial/accounting purposes and for income tax purposes are not necessarily the same (reasons, at paragraphs 65 and 108 to 110), he does not indicate what differences were at play, if any, nor the impact which they would have had on the accuracy of the income computed by the appellant for tax purposes. [ 70 ] Absent some such indication, there is no basis on which to hold that mark to market accounting does not procure an accurate picture of the appellant’s income under the Act .
As was stated in Canderel , “the goal of the legal test of ‘profit’ should be to determine which method of accounting best depicts the reality of the financial situation of the … taxpayer” ( Canderel , at paragraph 44). This coincides with the goal which mark to market accounting seeks to achieve on the facts of this case i.e.: recognizing income or losses based on the amount which can be realized by dealers in derivatives at the balance sheet by inter alia entering into an offsetting contract (appeal book, Vol. 12, pages 2419, 2420, 2448 and 2449; Vol. 17, pages 3376 and 3377).
As it is otherwise undisputed that this method is consistent with well accepted business principles, GAAP and international accounting, I am satisfied that the appellant has made a prima facie demonstration that mark to market accounting provides an accurate reflection of its income. [ 71 ] The remaining question is whether the Crown has discharged the onus of showing that realization procures a better picture of the appellant’s income under the Act ( Canderel , paragraph 53, at point 6).
Because the Crown’s position throughout has been that mark to market accounting is not an authorized method, no attempt was made to make this demonstration. Indeed, the Crown’s accounting expert expressed the opposite view (expert report of Patricia L. O’Malley, appeal book, Vol. 12, page 2410, paragraph 94).
Given the findings made by the Tax Court Judge as to the broad recognition of mark to market accounting for purposes of computing income from dealing in foreign exchange options, and the uncontested evidence that banks, financial institutions and mutual funds which engage in this activity report their income on this basis with the CRA’s approval, it seems clear that mark to market provides a picture of the appellant’s income which is as accurate—and as acceptable from the perspective of the tax collector—as that which the principle of realization would provide. [ 72 ] Adhering to the framework of analysis set out in Canderel , I conclude that there was no basis on which the Tax Court Judge could reject the appellant’s use of mark to market accounting in computing income from its dealings in foreign exchange options. - Reliability of the appellant’s values [ 73 ] The Tax Court Judge went on to explain that even if mark to market accounting was authorized, he was not convinced that the values used by the appellant were reliable (reasons, at paragraph 116).
He drew no definite conclusion on this point as evidenced by the judgment that he gave (see paragraph 30, above). It is nevertheless useful to comment on this point given the information that has since been brought to our attention by the appellant. [ 74 ] The Tax Court Judge was concerned that the bank counterparties to the contracts held by the appellant at the close of its 1998 taxation year would not “necessarily” have used a model of valuation which relies on the same inputs (reasons, at paragraph 116).
He was taken aback by evidence tendered by the respondent’s expert (Professor Klein) showing that two options written by the appellant with identical terms were ascribed by distinct bank counterparties values which were more than 20 percent apart (reasons, at paragraphs 48 and 116). [ 75 ] The appellant recognizes that such a difference would shake one’s confidence. However, it submits that this discrepancy is due to a clerical error made in preparing its own expert report. The following extracts quoted from the memorandum of the appellant (references omitted) provide the explanation: 40. Mr.
Klein testified, with reference to his report, that identical contracts dated May 13, 1998 for a call option sold by Kruger of $10 million USD at a strike price of $1.46 to mature in one year were valued by the Bank of Nova Scotia (“BNS”) at $797,736 and by JP Morgan (“JPM”) at $612,200. Reproduced in his report was the JPM communication to Kruger of the value of that contract at 486,900 USD which, at the prevailing rate of exchange on December 31, 1998 of 1.530[5] CAD, yielded a Canadian dollar value of $745,200, not $612,200.
The difference, therefore, between the JPM option contract relative to the BNS option contract is, therefore, not $185,536 but rather $52,536, and therefore not a difference of 26.3% but rather 6.8% … 41. Mr. Klein further testified, with reference to his report, that identical contracts again dated May 13, 1998 for a put option sold by Kruger of $10 million USD to mature May 13, 1999, at a strike price of $1.40, again with both JPM and BNS as purchasers, were valued by the BNS at $8,173 and by JPM at ($113,257).
The JP Morgan communication of value to Kruger sets the value of that contract at 7,900 USD which, translated to CAD at the prevailing rate at December 31, 1998, yields the amount of $12,090, and not ($113,257). … 42. The remaining differences in values given to four other option contracts with identical terms by two different banks set out in Mr. Klein’s report at page 2386 are: -0.3%, 1.2%, -4.2% and 5.1% …. [ 76 ] The Crown does not challenge the above demonstration otherwise than by asserting that it is not supported by the evidence (memorandum of the respondent, paragraph 6).
However, all the figures referred to in the above quoted passage can be found in the record and when the prevailing rate of exchange is applied (CAD $1.5305; appeal book, Vol. 12, page 2 387), it can readily be seen that the wrong rate was applied and that the variations are within the narrow range described. [ 77 ] I do not believe that the Tax Court Judge would have been troubled by the values submitted by the bank counterparties if he had been appraised of the actual figures.
I should add that this no longer seems controversial as the Minister has since recognized that the appellant’s values were reliable (see paragraph 31, above).
- Inventory treatment [78] The appellant contends in the alternative that its foreign exchange options qualify as inventory and that the recorded loss must, onthat account, be recognized pursuant to subsection 10(1) of the Act and
section 1801 of the ITR. This is a different means of obtainingthe result which the appellant is entitled to pursuant to
section 9. However, because inventory treatment is mandatory, the reasons whichI have given for allowing the loss cannot stand if the appellant correctly asserts that its options are inventory. I therefore feel compelledto address the issue. [79] Subsection 10(1) of the Act, by the use of the word “shall”, requires a taxpayer who carries on a business to value inventory onhand at the end of a taxation year at the lower of cost or fair market value. The result is that when the fair market value of inventory hasfallen below cost at the end of a given taxation year, the fall in value is recognized in that year.
Section 1801 of the ITR when applied tothe circumstances of the appellant provides for the same treatment. The Tax Court Judge addressed the inventory issue on the basis,since confirmed, that the values provided by the bank counterparties reflect the fair market value of the outstanding options at year end. [80] The question whether some or all of the appellant’s options qualify turns on the defined meaning of the word “inventory” insubsection 248(1), as informed by the case law.
Based on this definition “inventory” means “a description of property the cost or valueof which is relevant in computing … income from a business”. Before applying this definition, the Tax Court Judge had to identify itscorrect meaning. [81] The Tax Court Judge held that the options purchased by the appellant form part of inventory but that those written by theappellant do not. He reached this conclusion on the basis that the purchased options confer a right, and therefore constitute “property”capable of forming part of the appellant’s “inventory” (see subsection 248(1) as to both
definitions), but that the written options give riseto a liability, with the result that they cannot constitute “property” nor for that reason, “inventory”. [82] The result which flows from this reasoning is that the income derived from the options purchased by the appellant must becomputed by marking them to market at year end, whereas the income derived from the options which it wrote must be recognized in thefollowing year upon these options being transferred or expiring. [83] Both parties take issue with this approach arguing that it cannot provide an accurate picture of the appellant’s income.
Theycontend that in order to provide an accurate picture of the appellant’s income, all the options must be treated the same way, the appellantarguing that both its written and purchased options are inventory and the Crown asserting that neither qualifies. In my view, the positionadvocated by the Crown is the correct one. [84] As was found by the Tax Court Judge, there is no doubt that the Act departs from GAAP in allowing intangible property to betreated as inventory (Minister of National Revenue v. Curlett, (SCC), [1967] S.C.R. 280; Dobieco v.
Minister of NationalRevenue, (SCC), [1966] S.C.R. 95; CDSL Canada Ltd. v. Canada, 2008 FCA 400, 402 N.R. 7, at paragraphs 24 and 27to 30; see also subsection 10(5) of the Act which explicitly recognizes that the work in progress of a professional is “for greatercertainty” inventory). There is equally no doubt that the Tax Court Judge properly held that because the written options only embody aliability, they are not “property” and therefore cannot form part of “inventory” (reasons, at paragraphs 130 and 131; see also thecomment made by Rand J. in Tip Top Tailors Limited v.
Minister of National Revenue (The), (SCC), [1957] S.C.R. 703,at page 714). [85] The broader issue which the Crown invites the Court to address is whether “inventory”, as defined in subsection 248(1), extendsto property that is not held for sale. The Tax Court Judge held that this is not a required qualification (reasons, at paragraph 124): There is no requirement that property must be held for sale to qualify as inventory. However, the cost or value of the property must berelevant in computing a taxpayer’s income from a business.
If property that is a foreign exchange option contract is so relevant, then it soqualifies. [86] The evidence is clear that none of the options to which the appellant was a party at the close of its 1998 taxation year were heldfor sale. The Tax Court Judge found that the appellant was in the business of “speculating on foreign currency options” (reasons, atparagraph 38), which would bring it to hold these options to maturity in some cases, with or without closing the position, and sell them inothers, depending on the anticipated direction of the underlying currencies.
While the appellant was in the business of making moneywith options, it was not in the business of purchasing options for resale nor was it holding its options for sale.
The precise evidence onpoint is that all the options on hand at the close of the 1998 taxation year were rolled over to 1999 in the expectation that the Canadiandollar would firm up (reasons, at paragraphs 29 to 33). [87] Although the definition of “inventory” in subsection 248(1) does not spell out the requirement that qualifying property be “heldfor sale”, this condition must be read into the definition when regard is had to Friesen, the last pronouncement of the Supreme Court onthe subject. [88] As noted, Friesen turned on whether the lower of cost or market rule embodied in subsection 10(1) of the Act extended to theowner of vacant land who was in business only by reason of being engaged in an adventure in the nature of trade.
The write-down wasclaimed in taxation years preceding the year of the sale, at a time when the land produced no income. The argument against theextension of this rule to Mr. Friesen’s land was that even if the land in question was inventory in the year of disposition, it did not qualifyin the year in which the write-down was taken because its cost or value was not relevant in computing Mr. Friesen’s business income forthat year (Friesen, at paragraph 23). [89] The majority disposed of this argument as follows (Friesen, at paragraph 24): In my opinion, the
interpretation urged by the respondent runs contrary to the natural meaning of the words used in the definition ofinventory in s. 248(1) and to common sense. The plain meaning of the definition in s. 248(1) is that an item of property need only berelevant to business income in a single year to qualify as inventory: “relevant in computing a taxpayer’s income from a business for ataxation year” [emphasis in original]. In this respect the definition of “inventory” in the [Act] is consistent with the ordinary meaning of
the word. In the normal sense, inventory is property which a business holds for sale and this term applies to that property both in the year of sale and in years where the property remains as yet unsold by a business. [My emphasis.] [ 90 ] This passage reflects the ratio decidendi of the decision. The rule stated is that in order for Mr. Friesen’s property to come within the definition, it had to meet two qualifications: first its cost or value had to be relevant in computing business income for a year—not necessarily the year of the write-down—and second, the land had to be held for sale.
Had this last condition not been present during the year of the write-down, Mr. Friesen’s land would not have qualified.
The reasons cannot be read otherwise and this is how they have been applied ( C.A.E. , at paragraphs 108 to 110). [ 91 ] It follows that although the requirement that qualifying property be “held for sale” is not spelled out in express terms, it nevertheless forms part of the defined meaning of “inventory” as this definition must be read in a manner that is “consistent with the ordinary meaning of the word” ( Friesen , at paragraphs 24 and 33 ). [ 92 ] Notably, the minority expressed no disagreement with the majority’s conclusion that Mr. Friesen’s land had to be held for sale in order to qualify.
If anything, the minority would have read in the further requirement that qualifying property be “stock in trade” ( Friesen , at paragraphs 110, 122 and 133 at point 2). [ 93 ] Although the Act was amended shortly after Friesen was rendered to prevent the application of the inventory write-down rule to inventory held by a business that is an adventure in the nature of trade (see subsections 10(1) and (1.01) ), Parliament left the defined meaning of the word “inventory”, as construed in that case, untouched.
As a result, qualifying property must both impact on the computation of income and be held for sale. [ 94 ] Giving effect to this meaning, the foreign exchange options purchased by the appellant during its 1998 taxation year and rolled over to 1999 do not qualify as inventory as they were not held for sale. - More than two classes of property under the Act ? [ 95 ] It necessarily follows that the purchased options are a type of property that is neither capital property nor inventory. [ 96 ] This creates a bit of a difficulty because after having explained why Mr.
Friesen’s land was inventory and setting out the above
interpretation ( Friesen , at paragraphs 20 to 24 ), the majority went on to address “other considerations” which supported its reading of the definition ( Friesen , at paragraph 25 ). Amongst those, was the fact that the meaning which it adopted had the advantage of fitting Mr. Friesen’s land into inventory, one of the two known categories of property under the Act .
In the words of the majority, “[t]he Act … creates a simple system which recognizes only two broad categories of property” ( Friesen , at paragraph 28 ). [ 97 ] The appellant seizes on this passage to argue that because its foreign exchange option contracts are not capital property, they must be inventory. [ 98 ] As the reasons show, this cannot be the case as it would entail giving the word “inventory” a meaning which Friesen itself excludes. [ 99 ] In context, it appears that the majority was simply asserting that because the Act only regulates two classes of property, fitting Mr.
Friesen’s land into one of these classes was preferable to fitting it within an unknown class as the respondent would have it ( Friesen , at paragraph 32 ). In C.A.E. , this Court said much the same thing when it held that courts should not resort to new categories of property where the existing framework allows for a proper application of the Act ( C.A.E. , at paragraphs 84 and 102). [ 100 ] The present case is different because the purchased options cannot be fitted within either of the two categories of property on which the Act is premised.
At the same time, they cannot be ignored because they have an impact on the computation of the appellant’s income under the Act. The reluctance of the courts to recognize categories of property beyond inventory and capital property must give way where, as here, it becomes necessary to do so in order to apply the Act. [ 101 ] As noted earlier, the purchased options are property under the Act but they are neither capital property nor inventory. In contrast, the written options escape all three labels since they only embody the obligation to deliver funds in the future.
Yet, the evolving value of both instruments is relevant in determining the appellant’s income under the Act. In short, although the Act is premised on the existence of two broad classes of property, it imposes no limit on the types of property or indeed liabilities that can impact on the computation of income and which must be recognized for that purpose since the goal pursuant to
section 9 of the Act is to provide an accurate picture of that income ( Canderel , at paragraph 53).
DISPOSITION [ 102 ] For the above reasons, I would allow the appeals, and giving the judgment which ought to have been given, I would refer the reassessment back to the Minister for reconsideration and reassessment on the basis that the appellant is entitled to compute the income derived from its foreign exchange option contracts in accordance with the mark to market method of accounting, that is in conformity with its tax return position but without deferring or amortizing any portion of the premiums paid or received during the 1998 taxation year.
Given this result, I would award costs in favour of the appellant both before this Court and the Tax Court of Canada. Scott J.A. : I agree. de Montigny J.A. : I agree. Annex I Relevant Legislative Provisions
Income Tax Act , R.S.C., 1985 (5th Supp.), c. 1, as applicable in 1998 Income 9
(1) Subject to this Part, a taxpayer’s income for a taxation year from a business or property is the taxpayer’s profit from that business or property for the year. Loss
(2) Subject to
section 31, a taxpayer’s loss for a taxation year from a business or property is the amount of the taxpayer’s loss, if any, for the taxation year from that source computed by applying the provisions of this Act respecting computation of income from that source with such modifications as the circumstances require. … Valuation of inventory 10
(1) For the purpose of computing a taxpayer’s income for a taxation year from a business that is not an adventure or concern in the nature of trade, property described in an inventory shall be valued at the end of the year at the cost at which the taxpayer acquired the property or its fair market value at the end of the year, whichever is lower, or in a prescribed manner. Adventure in the nature of trade
(1.01) For the purpose of computing a taxpayer’s income from a business that is an adventure or concern in the nature of trade, property described in an inventory shall be valued at the cost at which the taxpayer acquired the property. … Inventory
(5) Without restricting the generality of this section, (
a) property (other than capital property) of a taxpayer that is advertising or packaging material, parts or supplies or work in progress of a business that is a profession is, for greater certainty, inventory of the taxpayer; …
Definitions 142.2
(1) In this
section and sections 142.3 to 142.6 , … mark-to-market property of a taxpayer for a taxation year means property held by the taxpayer in the year that is (
a) a share, (
b) where the taxpayer is not an investment dealer, a specified debt obligation that (
i) was carried at fair market value in the taxpayer’s financial statements (
A) for the year, where the taxpayer held the obligation at the end of the year, and (
B) for each preceding taxation year that ended after the taxpayer acquired the obligation, or (ii) was acquired and disposed of in the year, where it is reasonable to expect that the obligation would have been carried in the taxpayer’s financial statements for the year at fair market value if the taxpayer had not disposed of the obligation, other than a specified debt obligation of the taxpayer that was (or would have been) carried at fair market value (iii) solely because its fair market value was less than its cost to the taxpayer, or (iv) because of a default of the debtor, and (
c) where the taxpayer is an investment dealer, a specified debt obligation, but does not include (
d) a share of a corporation in which the taxpayer has a significant interest at any time in the year, nor (
e) a prescribed property; …
Definitions
(1) In this Act , … inventory means a description of property the cost or value of which is relevant in computing a taxpayer’s income from a business for a taxation year or would have been so relevant if the income from the business had not been computed in accordance with the cash method and, with respect to a farming business, includes all of the livestock held in the course of carrying on the business; … property means property of any kind whatever whether real or personal or corporeal or incorporeal and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes (
a) a right of any kind whatever, a share or a chose in action. Income Tax Regulations , C.R.C., c. 945, as applicable in 1998 Valuation 1801 Except as provided by
section 1802, for the purpose of computing the income of a taxpayer from a business, all the property described in all the inventories of the business may be valued at its fair market value.