2022 NBCA 45, 2022 NBCA 45
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 99-21-CA DONALD THOMAS ALONZO (LONNIE) DONOVAN APPELLANT DONALD THOMAS ALONZO (LONNIE) DONOVAN APPELANT - and - - et - RICHELIEU HARDWARE LTD. RESPONDENT QUINCAILLERIE RICHELIEU LTÉE INTIMÉE Donovan v. Richelieu Hardware Ltd., 2022 NBCA 45 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Donovan c.
Quincaillerie Richelieu Ltée, 2022 NBCA 45 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench September 7, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 7 septembre 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 189 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 189 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: February 9, 2022 Appel entendu : le 9 février 2022 Judgment rendered: August 18, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 18 août 2022
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: G. Robert Basque, Q.C. For the respondent: Tessa C. Belliveau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : G. Robert Basque, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Tessa C. Belliveau THE COURT The appeal is allowed in part. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli en partie. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] In late March 2020, as the COVID-19 pandemic was causing considerable uncertainty in the Canadian workplace, Quincaillerie Richelieu Hardware Ltd verbally advised Donald Thomas Alonzo (Lonnie) Donovan that he was being placed on “furlough.” What this meant was not clear; he was told he was not to report for work after April 1 st , 2020, and he would not be paid; however, Richelieu continued to cover him under its employee health insurance program .
While it was not known how long this “lay- off,” as Richelieu would later describe it, would continue, but it is common ground that it was to be temporary, and Mr. Donovan was expected to return to work. [ 2 ] Mr. Donovan did not assert that he had been constructively dismissed; he waited to resume his position. Five months after Richelieu laid-off Mr. Donovan, it gave written notice that it was terminating his employment, effective immediately. In lieu of advance notice of termination, Richelieu offered four weeks pay from September 2, 2020. [ 3 ] Mr. Donovan commenced an action.
What is unique is that he advances two distinct claims against Richelieu. He seeks damages for both: (1) wrongful dismissal, arising from his termination on September 2, 2020; and (2) unpaid wages between April and August 2020, on the basis that his “lay-off/furlough” was a breach of his contract of employment that was actionable but did not terminate the contract.
[ 4 ] Mr. Donovan brought a motion for
summary judgment. Richelieu acknowledged his employment was not terminated until September 2020, and maintained it was justified in “laying-off” Mr. Donovan as of April 1, 2020, because of the pandemic, and as was permitted by s. 31(1) of the Employment Standards Act , S.N.B. 1982, c E-7.2 . In response to Mr.
Donovan’s claim that he was entitled to 12-15 months pay from September 2, 2020, in lieu of advance notice of termination, Richelieu maintained the four weeks it initially offered was adequate, or alternatively, ten months was appropriate. [ 5 ] The motion judge rejected Richelieu’s assertion that it was entitled to furlough or lay-off Mr. Donovan in April 2020. She concluded Mr. Donovan was constructively dismissed, as of April 1, 2020, and determined that he was entitled to 12 months pay in lieu of notice from then. [ 6 ] On appeal, Mr.
Donovan maintains the motion judge failed to consider his claim for lost wages during the “furlough” period and she erroneously decided he was constructively dismissed as of April 2020, instead of wrongfully dismissed as of September 2020. Alternatively, he submits the 12-month period of reasonable advance notice of termination, determined by the motion judge, should have been extended by an additional five months (to 17 months), to account for the unique fact that during the five-month “furlough” period he was not under notice to seek other employment and it was expected he would return to work.
Lastly, he maintains she failed to address his request for pre-judgement interest. [ 7 ] For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss the appeal, except in relation to pre-judgment interest. I would award interest at the rate prescribed by the Rules of Court from November 1, 2020, which is the mid-point between Richelieu’s breach of contract and the end of the 12-month period of reasonable notice . II. Background [ 8 ] In 2010, Mr. Donovan began working in Richelieu’s Moncton division as a sales representative. He was responsible for New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
The terms of his employment varied over time, but his three-year average income to 2019 was $106,500, the majority of which was derived from commissions. This included car, gas and cell phone allowances and minor amounts for RRSPs and Richelieu’s share purchase plan. In 2020, Mr. Donovan was 48 years of age. He is a high school graduate and has completed a number of industry related courses. [ 9 ] In response to the COVID pandemic, Richelieu explained that it decided in March 2020 to “temporarily lay- off” eleven employees in its Moncton division, as well as in its other divisions in Canada and the United States.
At the time, it was difficult to predict how the pandemic would impact revenue and operations. As it turned out, sales from Richelieu’s Moncton division were 20% less during April, May and June of 2020, compared to the same period in 2019. [ 10 ] It appears from the record that when Richelieu verbally advised Mr. Donovan he was being furloughed, neither had a clear understanding of what that meant in relation to their contractual obligations; certainly, there was no meeting of the minds over how it would affect Mr. Donovan’s contract of employment.
The undisputed factual circumstances regarding the “furlough” or “lay- off,” and Richelieu’s subsequent decision to terminate Mr. Donovan’s employment, include: 1. He was not to provide any further services to Richelieu, either from its office or his home, and all compensation stopped from April 1, 2020; 2. There was no payment in lieu of notice of termination and Richelieu did not issue a Record of Employment, under the Employment Standards Act , which would be expected to identify the reason for an employee’s termination; 3.
During the “furlough” or “lay-off” period, Richelieu continued to maintain coverage for Mr. Donovan under its employee health insurance plan; 4. Both Richelieu and Mr. Dovovan understood this was to be a temporary situation and expected that he would return to work; however, no date for a return was provided;
5. On September 2, 2020, Richelieu provided Mr. Donovan with written notice that his employment was terminated and offered him four weeks pay from September 2, 2020, in lieu of notice; 6. Richelieu issued a Record of Employment that indicated a termination date of September 2, 2020. [ 11 ] After Mr. Donovan was “furloughed,” he received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (“CERB”), like many whose income had ended or been reduced due to the COVID pandemic. Nothing in this case turned on whether the loss of Mr.
Donovan’s income from employment could have triggered entitlement to Employment Insurance Benefits rather than CERB. The $2000 per month received by Mr. Donovan replaced only a fraction of his lost compensation; he also arranged to have his mortgage payments deferred during this time. [ 12 ] There is no suggestion that Mr. Donovan either improperly understood the “furlough” or “lay-off” to be temporary or that he unreasonably relied on the expectation he would be returning to work at Richelieu. Nor was there any submission that Mr.
Donovan should have been looking for alternate employment before he was terminated on September 2, 2020. On the contrary, it was recognized that Mr. Donovan had a well-paying position with Richelieu, and he was hoping to return to work. [ 13 ] In October 2020, after his termination, Mr. Donovan secured employment with UAP-NAPA, earning $55,000 annually, with no commission income. In July 2021, he was laid off from this position and he had not found other employment by the time his motion for
summary judgement was heard in August 2021. [ 14 ] As noted, the motion judge rejected Richelieu’s position that it was entitled to lay-off Mr. Donovan in April 2020. She found, as a fact, that he had not been laid off and she concluded s. 31(1) of the Employment Standards Act did not provide a basis for, in effect, overriding his contract of employment and authorizing a lay-off. This determination is not challenged on appeal by either Mr. Donovan, for obvious reasons, or Richelieu, and it will not be addressed further. [ 15 ] Having determined Richelieu’s unilateral decision to lay-off Mr.
Donovan was a breach of his contract of employment, the motion judge concluded Richelieu had constructively dismissed him, as of April 1, 2020, and ordered Richelieu pay him in lieu of notice for 12 months from then, less income earned from other employment. The judge rejected Richelieu’s submission that the damages payable to Mr. Donovan should be similarly reduced by the CERB benefits he received between April and August 2020. That decision has not been challenged on appeal. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 16 ] Mr.
Donovan’s grounds of appeal assert the motion judge erred by: 1) failing to consider his claim for lost wages during the “furlough” period, based on breach of contract; 2) alternatively, failing to properly apply the principles respecting the determination of a reasonable period for notice of termination, which resulted in her failing to recognize that Mr.
Donovan was entitled to five months of additional notice, over and above the 12-month period determined by the judge, to account for the “furlough” period (and bring the total pay in lieu of notice period to 17 months); and 3) failed to address his request for pre-judgement interest.
IV. Analysis A. Failure to Consider the Claim for Lost Wages During Furlough ? [ 17 ] Mr. Donovan maintains the motion judge failed to expressly consider and determine the merits of his discrete claim for unpaid wages during his furlough/lay-off, in addition to the damages he sought for wrongful dismissal from September 2020. He makes two key assertions in this regard. He submits that, by deciding he was constructively dismissed as of April 2020, the judge, first and foremost, disposed of his motion on a basis that was neither pleaded nor requested.
Second, he submits the lack of reasons for her apparent rejection of his claim for unpaid wages indicates the judge failed to recognize the distinction between his two discrete claims and she ignored the fact that he was not terminated until September 2020, a fact that was admitted by Richelieu. [ 18 ] In my view, the motion judge’s reasons for decision very clearly indicate she recognized both of Mr. Donovan’s distinct claims. They also reflect her conclusion, correctly so in my opinion, that there was no legal basis upon which to ground Mr.
Donovan’s claim for lost wages (after April 1, 2020) in addition to his claim for wrongful dismissal. The merits of his lost wages claim were not overlooked or misapprehended. It was a central issue at the hearing of his motion for
summary judgment, as it was before us. Indeed, the only other substantive issue was the duration of the period of reasonable notice for wrongful dismissal, whether based on actual or constructive dismissal. [ 19 ] The motion judge expressly set out Mr. Donovan’s submissions regarding his claim for lost wages, in addition to his claim for wrongful dismissal. In doing so, she also identified the absence of any authority to support such a claim: Mr. Donovan argues that a “furlough” is not a legal concept and that there was no “layoff”. It is argued that if there was no “layoff”, Mr.
Donovan was, and is, entitled to receive his pay and benefits for the period between April and September in addition to the reasonable notice to which he is entitled because of the termination of his employment in September 2020. Mr. Donovan has no case law to support his position that he should receive compensation for the 5-month period of the purported layoff, in addition to whichever reasonable notice period to which he is entitled. […] [para 41-42] [ 20 ] Later in her reasons for decision, the judge explained that the authorities upon which Mr.
Donovan relied do not “ constitute authority for his proposition that he is entitled to full compensation for the five-month period between April and September 2020, over and above the reasonable notice period to which he is entitled:” While the cases relied upon by Mr. Donovan support a conclusion that he was, in fact, constructively dismissed in April 2020, they do not support or constitute authority for his proposition that he is entitled to full compensation for the 5-month period between April and September 2020, over and above the reasonable notice period to which he is entitled .
It is my conclusion that the purported layoff constituted a constructive dismissal and that Mr. Donovan’s employment was terminated in April 2020 (see Hogan v. 1187938 B.C. Ltd ., 2021, BCSC 1021 , at paragraphs 36 and 37 ; see also Slater v. Halifax Herald Limited , 2021 NSSC 210 ). [Emphasis added; para. 48] [ 21 ] I pause briefly to note that this passage also indicates the judge accepted the cases relied upon by Mr. Donovan provided support for her conclusion that Richelieu did not have the ability to lay-off Mr.
Donovan and, as a consequence, he was entitled to assert the lay-off was a constructive dismissal ( Hogan v. 1187938 B.C. Ltd . , 2021 BCSC 1021 , [2021] B.C.J. No. 1169 (QL) ; and Slater v. Halifax Herald Limited , 2021 NSSC 210 , [2021] N.S.J. No. 263 (QL) ). It was on this basis that the judge decided Mr. Donovan had been constructively dismissed and his employment terminated in April 2020. Despite the similarity of Mr. Donovan’s circumstances to those in Hogan and Slater, there is an important difference.
In those cases, the courts accepted the employee’s assertion that the lay-off was unjustified and it entitled them to claim they were constructively dismissed. In contrast, and at the heart of Mr. Donovan’s position before this court, he did not treat the furlough/lay-off as a constructive dismissal and he did not plead such a claim.
Indeed, not only did he not elect to take action on that basis and he waited, hoping to return to work, but also, after Richelieu terminated him, he intentionally crafted his Statement of Claim with a view to advancing a claim in damages for both wrongful dismissal from his actual termination in September 2020 and lost wages during the period he was laid-off. [ 22 ] I now return to my reasons for concluding the motion judge decided, correctly, that there was no legal basis for Mr. Donovan’s claim for lost wages, “ over and above the reasonable notice period to which he is entitled.”
[23] First, if such a determination is not explicit from the judge’s reasons, it is implicitly so. She stated more thanonce that there was no authority provided for such a claim. As noted, in the cases Mr. Donovan relied upon, the employees asserted theyhad been constructively dismissed because they were unjustifiably laid-off due the COVID pandemic.
They do not support theproposition that an unjustified lay-off is a basis for entitlement to damages for lost wages during the lay-off period, plus damages forwrongful dismissal arising from a subsequent actual or constructive termination. [24] Second, although not expressly stated, the motion judge’s rejection of Mr.
Donovan’s claim for lost wages (inaddition to a separate claim for damages for wrongful dismissal) recognized the basic legal principle that, as a matter of law, anemployee’s entitlement to damages for wrongful dismissal flows from the employer’s failure to provide reasonable advance notice ofdismissal. This is so whether the wrongful dismissal arises because of an actual or constructive dismissal. [25] In response to Richelieu’s decision to lay him off, Mr.
Donovan was entitled to choose either to: 1) accept thisunilateral change to his contract of employment; or 2) treat it as a substantial breach by Richelieu, which he did not accept, and thatresulted in his dismissal, that is, a constructive dismissal. In short, Mr. Donovan could pursue one but not both paths. Setting aside issuesof condonation and mitigation, even after September 2020, Mr. Donovan could choose which path he was going to follow. If he acceptedRichelieu’s change, his wrongful dismissal action would be clearly grounded in his actual termination in September 2020.
Instead, heclaimed wrongful dismissal as of September 2020 and claimed entitlement to unpaid wages after April 2020, as though the originalcontract of employment continued after the lay-off on its original terms. [26] In Potter v. New Brunswick Legal Aid Commission, 2015 SCC 10, [2015] 1 S.C.R. 500, Wagner J., as he thenwas, clearly set out the applicable principles when an employee is confronted with an employer’s unilateral substantial change to theircontract of employment.
The employee may either accept the change or treat it as a repudiation of the contract and claim damages forwrongful dismissal, on the basis of having been constructively dismissed. Wagner J. explained: When an employer’s conduct evinces an intention no longer to be bound by the employment contract, the employee has the choice ofeither accepting that conduct or changes made by the employer, or treating the conduct or changes as a repudiation of thecontract by the employer and suing for wrongful dismissal.
This was clearly stated in Farber, at para. 33, the leading case on the lawof constructive dismissal in Canada. See also In re Rubel Bronze and Metal Co. and Vos, [1918] 1 K.B. 315, at p. 322. Since theemployee has not been formally dismissed, the employer’s act is referred to as “constructive dismissal”. The word “constructive”indicates that the dismissal is a legal construct: the employer’s act is treated as a dismissal because of the way it is characterized by thelaw (J. A. Yogis and C. Cotter, Barron’s Canadian Law Dictionary (6th ed. 2009), at p. 61; B. A.
Garner, ed., Black’s Law Dictionary(10th ed. 2014), at p. 380). [Emphasis added; para. 30] [27] In Farber v. Royal Trust Co., (CSC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 846, [1996] S.C.J.
No. 118 (QL),Gonthier J., stated the following regarding an employee’s right to treat an employer’s unilateral change to the contract of employment asa dismissal: In cases of constructive dismissal, the courts in the common law provinces have applied the general principle that where one party to acontract demonstrates an intention no longer to be bound by it, that party is committing a fundamental breach of the contractthat results in its termination.
The leading case on this question is an English decision, In re Rubel Bronze and Metal Co. and Vos,[1918] 1 K.B. 315, in which the following was stated at pp. 321-22: […] Thus, it has been established in a number of Canadian common law decisions that where an employer unilaterally makes a fundamentalor substantial change to an employee’s contract of employment – a change that violates the contract’s terms – the employer iscommitting a fundamental breach of the contract that results in its termination and entitles the employee to consider himself orherself constructively dismissed.
The employee can then claim damages from the employer in lieu of reasonable notice. (See, forexample […]). In an
article entitled “Constructive Dismissal”, in B. D. Bruce, ed., Work, Unemployment and Justice (1994), 127, Justice N. W.Sherstobitoff of the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal defined the concept of constructive dismissal as follows at p. 129: A constructive dismissal occurs when an employer makes a unilateral and fundamental change to a term or condition of an employment
contract without providing reasonable notice of that change to the employee. Such action amounts to a repudiation of the contract of employment by the employer whether or not he intended to continue the employment relationship.
Therefore, the employee can treat the contract as wrongfully terminated and resign which, in turn, gives rise to an obligation on the employer’s part to provide damages in lieu of reasonable notice. [Emphasis added; paras. 33 and 34] [ 28 ] However, if the employee consents to or acquiesces in an employer’s unilateral change, there is no breach of the contract and no constructive dismissal or termination of employment. As Wagner J. explained in Potter : At the first step of the analysis, the court must determine objectively whether a breach has occurred.
To do so, it must ascertain whether the employer has unilaterally changed the contract. If an express or an implied term gives the employer the authority to make the change, or if the employee consents to or acquiesces in it, the change is not a unilateral act and therefore will not constitute a breach. If so, it does not amount to constructive dismissal. Moreover, to qualify as a breach, the change must be detrimental to the employee. [Emphasis added; para. 37] [ 29 ] Whether an employee’s conduct will amount to an acquiescence or consent to an employer’s change may be very contentious.
In relation to condonation by an employee see: Employment Law in Canada , Peter Barnacle at pp. 13-77. In this case, there has been no suggestion Mr. Donovan consented to or condoned the lay-off. This said, the fact is that Mr. Donovan’s position asserts both that he was not terminated until September and that he did not accept that Richelieu was entitled to lay him off without pay. [ 30 ] In sum, the motion judge did nor err in rejecting Mr. Donovan’s claim for lost wages in addition to his claim for wrongful dismissal, regardless of the effective date. [ 31 ] This leads to Mr.
Donovan’s submission that, even if the judge did not err in relation to his claim for lost wages, she erred by deciding he was constructively dismissed in April 2020, and failing to decide he was wrongfully dismissed as of September 2020, when he was terminated and as he claimed in his Statement of Claim. [ 32 ] However, at the hearing of the appeal, Mr. Donovan abandoned this position.
He advised that, if this Court were to decide he was not entitled to damages for lost wages (in addition to damages for wrongful dismissal), he did not wish to pursue his challenge to the motion judge’s assessment of damages for wrongful dismissal as of April 2020, based on constructive dismissal. This was based on practical considerations, not an acknowledgment that he elected to treat Richelieu’s actions as a constructive dismissal and his employment terminated at that time. [ 33 ] Despite this change, I will briefly address Mr.
Donovan’s assertion the judge erred by finding he was constructively dismissed since he did not plead that claim and it is contrary to Richelieu’s acknowledgement he was terminated in September 2020. While there is merit to this submission, it is not entirely surprising that, after deciding there was no legal basis for him to claim lost wages (in addition to damages for wrongful dismissal), the judge regarded his wrongful dismissal claim as similarly seeking damages from April 2020, when his income stopped, and in grounding that claim in the finding that he had been constructively dismissed.
This was the approach taken in the cases relied upon by Mr. Donovan. Although he had not claimed to have been constructively dismissed (as of April 2020), this was not because he accepted or consented to being laid-off. On the contrary, he challenged the lay-off and claimed damages for lost wages, which largely mirrors the damages he sought for wrongful dismissal. Mr. Donovan did not claim constructive dismissal so for the admittedly sole objective of pursuing a unique claim for unpaid wages after April 2020.
In the absence of an explicit indication that Richelieu’s breach of April 2020 was not to form a basis for his wrongful dismissal claim, the motion judge’s decision to the contrary can’t be fairly characterized as an indication that she did not appreciate the distinction between his claims. In any event, Mr. Donovan has withdrawn his challenge of this issue. B. Should the period of reasonable notice be extended by five months? [ 34 ] As noted, in the alternative to his assertion the judge erred by rejecting his claim for unpaid wages while laid- off, Mr.
Donovan maintains the 12-month notice period determined by the motion judge ought to have been extended by five months to account for his unjustified lay-off and during which he was reasonably waiting for the opportunity to return to work in his former position and not looking for other work.
[35] Before the motion judge, Mr. Donovan sought 12-15 months notice, in addition to his separate claim for wagesbetween April and August 2020. Richelieu submitted four weeks pay in lieu of notice fulfilled its obligation, or, alternatively, that tenmonths notice was sufficient. After considering all the circumstances, as contemplated in Bramble v. Medis Health and PharmaceuticalServices Inc. (1999), (NB CA), 214 N.B.R. (2d) 111, [1999] N.B.J. No. 307 (QL) (C.A.), the motion judge decided12 months was appropriate. She considered Mr.
Donovan’s submission that the pandemic, which was the reason for his dismissal,should serve to increase the notice period. The judge explained: I agree that a downturn in the economy indicating that an employee may have difficulty finding another position may justify a longernotice period. I would add that the circumstances of a downturn in the economy should not serve as an automatic or formulaic increase ofthe notice period but rather serve as a factor to consider together with all other relevant circumstances.
Furthermore, I agree with the B.C.Court of Appeal in Hunter, supra, that this factor should not be given undue emphasis. [para. 54] [36] To be clear, Mr. Donovan does not challenge the judge’s decision respecting the notice period, except to assertthat, to account for the lay-off period, she should have awarded five additional months, over and above the period of notice that would beotherwise determined to be reasonable. Mr. Donovan submits he was led to believe he would return to work, so he waited and did notlook for other employment.
He maintains the result of the judge’s decision is that, rather than receive 12 months notice to find otheremployment, he received seven. [37] Richelieu submits the 12-month period is not the product of any error and there is no authority provided orbasis for Mr. Donovan’s position. [38] I do not accept Mr. Donovan’s assertion that the judge erred because she did not add to the 12-month noticeperiod five additional months to account for the time Mr. Donovan was laid-off. There is no basis for such a proposition.
While theavailability of alternate employment, including as impacted by the pandemic, is a factor in a determination of the period of reasonablenotice, this was considered by the judge and was a factor in her deciding 12 months was appropriate. [39] There is no doubt that Richelieu put Mr. Donovan in a very difficult position when it advised in March 2020,that he was being placed on furlough, without pay. It was not known to anyone how long he would be without an income. As the motionjudge found, Richelieu’s decision gave Mr. Donovan the option to treat the lay-off as a constructive dismissal.
Instead, he chose to wait,hoping to resume his work. There was no suggestion this was an unreasonable course of conduct. It was a well-paying position, of$100,000 plus per year, that Mr. Donovan expected would be very difficult to replace, given his training, experience, and age. In fact, inthe circumstances, it is difficult to imagine his choosing to do anything else, at least initially. As the record indicates, prior to beingterminated, he learned that not all those who had been laid-off would be brought back to work.
The determination of the period ofreasonable notice must be assessed in light of a variety of factors. There is no error in the judge’s determination in this regard. To do asMr. Donovan now argues would be to compensate for the lay-off under the guise of notice. [40] I would dismiss this ground of appeal. C. Prejudgment interest [41] In his Statement of Claim, Mr. Donovan requested interest on all amounts “from the date of dismissal.” Thisrequest was not addressed in the judge’s reasons for decision. Mr. Donovan submits this oversight must be addressed and it would beappropriate for this Court to make the award.
Richelieu says the absence of an award of pre-judgment interest evinces a decision by themotion judge to not grant this relief and such a decision does not require reasons. [42] In Jean v. Pecheries Roger L. Ltee, 2010 NBCA 10, 354 N.B.R. (2d) 300, this Court addressed the principlesapplicable to an award of pre-judgment interest for damages arising from wrongful dismissal. The Court allowed the appeal of a trialjudge’s decision to deny a request for pre-judgment interest on damages for the entire period between the wrongful dismissal breach anddate of judgment.
The judge had done so to sanction the employee for the lack of diligence in prosecuting the action. Having concludedthat the judge erred in principle, the Court ordered the payment of pre-judgment interest, from the mid-point of the period of reasonablenotice. Writing for the Court, Drapeau, C.J.N.B. (as he then was) commented on the purpose of awarding of pre-judgment interest unders. 45 of the Judicature Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2: Section 45(1) of the Judicature Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2 gives the Court authority to order “that there shall be included in the sum for
which judgment is given interest on the whole or any part of the debt or damages for the whole or any part of the period between the datewhen the cause of action arose and the date of judgment”. This provision confers broad judicial discretion and its exercise cannot beinterfered with on appeal unless one or more of the conditions set forth in Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v. Beaverbrook ArtGallery (2006), 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161, [2006] N.B.J. No. 307 (QL), 2006 NBCA 75 are met: […] As Turnbull, J.A. explains in LeClerc v. Sunbury Transport Ltd. (1996), (NB CA), 184 N.B.R. (2d) 1 (C.A.), [1996]N.B.J.
No. 600 (QL), the purpose of an award of interest under s. 45(1) is to put the claimant in a position “that eliminates loss so far asmoney can produce that result” (para. 47). An award of interest in the matter before us has two closely related goals: (1) to compensatethe aggrieved employee for the loss resulting from being kept out of money; and (2) to prevent the employer who wrongly withheld andused this money from making a windfall and gaining an enrichment to the detriment of the former employee.
In this regard, I am incomplete agreement with the views expressed by Richard, J.A., subsequently Chief Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench, in thefollowing excerpt from Cyr v. Roman Catholic Bishop of Edmundston (1982), (NB CA), 39 N.B.R. (2d) 361 (C.A.),[1982] N.B.J. No. 159 (QL): Thus, it is readily seen from a review of the reasoning in the above cited cases and it follows from logic that the underlying principleupon which a court ought to add interest to an award is for the fact that a party was kept out of money for a certain length of time whenthe said money ought to have been paid by a given date.
It follows a simple and universal practice of the banking institutions of ourcountry. They pay depositors of money interest for the use thereof. Anyone is reasonably expected to keep any surplus money which hehas in a banking or trust institution in order to derive interest therefrom. So if A owes B a sum of money by a certain date and fails to payit, he deprives B of interest to which he otherwise is entitled and by retaining the said money for a longer period gains an unjustenrichment at the expense of someone else.
Accordingly, the criteria should be the ascertainment of the date at which any sum hasbecome due, or ought reasonably to have been paid. Thus in an action in tort the respective due date of various heads of damage arelikely to vary and each must be examined in order to give proper effect to the date from which interest will be computed. In conclusionthe following categories would appear viable:
(1) In cases where payment of a debt is improperly withheld and the circumstances make it fair and equitable that the creditor becompensated by the payment of interest, interest should be allowed from the due date of the debt and the bank’s borrowing rates to thecreditor, over the period in question, may be adopted as appropriate. If the creditor does not establish those rates the court may awardinterest at the going rate.
(2) In the case of special damages, in tort action, it will depend when the debts have been incurred or will be incurred if they are in thecategory of future ascertainable expenses. Thus the rule that, generally speaking, interest should be applied to their total sum at half theapplicable rate from the date of the accident to the date of judgment is a sound compromise. It is not a rule that will yield a perfectmathematical result but one that is designed to be practical.
If in a major case, i.e. involving very large amounts of money, a party offeredevidence of actual time of disbursement of expenditures of special damages I see no reason why a court could not oblige and thus departfrom the general rule since it would result in greater precision towards compensation [para. 33]. [Emphasis added; paras. 68-69] [43] Additionally, Drapeau C.J.N.B. explained that while pre-judgment interest on compensation in lieu ofreasonable notice has been allowed from the date of termination, in some cases, there was no unanimity on this issue.
After reviewingthe different approaches taken in Canada, Drapeau C.J.N.B. settled on an approach “to providing fair compensation to the aggrievedemployee without punishing the employer.” He stated: With a view to providing fair compensation to the aggrieved employee without punishing the employer or complicating the computationprocess, courts have favored an award of interest from a date subsequent to the date of pecuniary loss. Unfortunately, no consensus hasemerged regarding the framework within which the relevant date stands to be selected.
In some cases, a date midway through thereasonable notice period has been settled upon (see Christianson v. North Hill News Inc. (1993), 1993 ABCA 232 , 145 A.R. 58(C.A.), [1993] A.J. No. 672 (QL)), whereas, in others, the date chosen lies at the midway point between termination and the date ofjudgment (see the cases cited in Ball, Canadian Employment Law, vol. 2, loose-leaf (Aurora, Ont.: Canada Law Book, 2009) at para.22.20.26).
In New Brunswick, damages for compensation in lieu of reasonable notice are special damages and not general damages as is apparentlythe case elsewhere in the country, specifically in Ontario. In this jurisdiction, the debate was settled in Morrow v. Aviva Canada Inc.(2004), 279 N.B.R. (2d) 77, [2004] N.B.J. No. 494 (QL), 2004 NBCA 100:
[…] The following rule is generally applied in the assessment of damages in personal injury cases: interest at the rate of one-half the current rate is allowed on special damages from the date of the accident to the date of judgment. However, even then, there is nothing to prevent the Court from departing from the general rule when an accurate calculation of interest is relatively simple. In the case at bar, the debt to Mr. Jean was incurred over a 12-month period ending in March 1999 and most of this debt was due at the beginning of September 1998.
There are thus grounds for departing from the general rule and ordering the respondent to pay interest at the annual rate of 6% from September 1, 1998, the midway point between the breach of contract and the end of the reasonable notice period . Such an award is consistent with the guiding principles set out by this Court in LeClerc v. Sunbury Transport and the excerpt from the reasons for judgment in Cyr v. Roman Catholic Bishop of Edmundston reproduced above. [Emphasis added; paras. 73-76] [ 44 ] In my opinion, pre-judgment interest should be awarded to Mr. Donovan on a similar basis.
In my view, it was simply an oversight that his request was not addressed. I do not agree the record suggests the motion judge decided not to grant such relief, nor do I accept the judge would have recognized that the quick determination of Mr. Donovan’s claim could have been a reason to decide such an award was not appropriate. Further, the motion judge’s reasons for decision do not include any findings that lean against an award of pre-judgment interest. Indeed, Richelieu maintained at the hearing before the motion judge that four weeks notice was sufficient, and, alternatively, ten months was reasonable.
Also, the judge observed that (when addressing the issue of reasonable notice) there remained confusion as to whether Mr. Donovan received all amounts due to him for his past earned commissions, he was paid short of what was owed to him for his average four week pay, and his benefits terminated immediately in September 2020, in violation of the Employment Standards Act . Notably, she stated that while “the treatment afforded to Mr.
Donovan may not rise to the level where exemplary damages are warranted, to use the words of Justice Campbell in Slater , supra, ‘you just can’t treat people that way, even during a pandemic’.” Based on my independent assessment of the record, there is no basis for denying the claim for pre-judgment interest. [ 45 ] In the absence of any evidence or submissions on the rate, I would award interest at 7% (the rate prescribed by the Rules of Court for interest on judgments) from November 1, 2020, which is the mid-point between Richelieu’s breach of contract and the end of the period of reasonable notice.
This will continue until judgment. The Judgment Following Hearing or Trial (Form 60A) does not quantify the damages and permits the parties to return to court if they “are not able to determine the exact amount of the judgment.” This will also apply to the obligation to pay pre-judgment interest. V. Disposition [ 46 ] The appeal is allowed in part. Since success is divided, albeit in different degrees, I would not make any order to pay costs. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I.
Introduction [1] À la fin de mars 2020, tandis que sévissait en milieu de travail, partout au Canada, une incertitude considérable entraînée par la pandémie de la COVID-19, Quincaillerie Richelieu Ltée a informé verbalement Donald Thomas Alonzo (Lonnie) Donovan qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « mis en congé ». Ce que signifiait cette mesure était imprécis : on lui a indiqué qu’il ne devait pas rentrer au travail, après le 1 er avril 2020, et qu’il ne serait pas rémunéré. Il demeurait admis, cependant, au régime d’assurance-maladie offert par Richelieu à ses salariés.
La durée qu’aurait ce que Richelieu devait appeler ensuite une [TRADUCTION]
« mise à pied » était inconnue. Il est toutefois convenu que la cessation d’emploi devait être temporaire, et il était prévu que M. Donovan reprendrait son travail. [2] M. Donovan n’a pas affirmé qu’il avait subi un congédiement déguisé; il a attendu de retrouver son poste. Cinq mois après la mise à pied, Richelieu a donné avis écrit à M. Donovan de la cessation immédiate de son emploi. Elle lui a offert, à la place d’un préavis de cessation, le salaire de quatre semaines, tenu pour payable à compter du 2 septembre 2020. [3] M. Donovan a intenté une action contre Richelieu.
Elle est particulière du fait des deux demandes distinctes avancées. M. Donovan réclame des dommages-intérêts à la fois : (1) pour congédiement abusif par suite de la cessation de son emploi, survenue le 2 septembre 2020; (2) pour non-paiement de salaire d’avril à août 2020, au motif que sa [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé ou mise à pied » constituait une violation de son contrat de travail qui, encore que susceptible d’action, n’a pas entraîné la résiliation du contrat. [4] M. Donovan a présenté une motion en jugement
sommaire. Richelieu a reconnu que l’emploi de M. Donovan n’avait pas cessé avant septembre 2020 et soutenu qu’elle était fondée à le [TRADUCTION] « mettre à pied » le 1 er avril 2020 en raison de la pandémie, et comme le permettait le par. 31(1) de la
Loi sur les normes d’emploi , L.N.-B. 1982, ch. E-7.2. En réponse à la demande de M. Donovan, qui affirmait être en droit de recevoir, à la place d’un préavis de cessation d’emploi, douze à quinze mois de salaire à compter du 2 septembre 2020, Richelieu a affirmé que les quatre semaines offertes à l’origine suffisaient ou, subsidiairement, que dix mois seraient appropriés. [5] La juge saisie de la motion a rejeté l’argument voulant que Richelieu ait été en droit de mettre en congé ou de mettre à pied M. Donovan en avril 2020. Elle a conclu que M.
Donovan avait fait l’objet d’un congédiement déguisé le 1 er avril 2020 et qu’il avait droit à douze mois de salaire, à compter de cette date, tenant lieu d’un préavis. [6] En appel, M. Donovan soutient que la juge saisie de la motion a omis d’examiner sa demande de dédommagement pour la perte de salaire subie pendant la période de [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé » et qu’elle a décidé erronément qu’il avait fait l’objet, non d’un congédiement abusif en septembre 2020, mais d’un congédiement déguisé en avril 2020.
Il avance subsidiairement qu’il aurait fallu prolonger de cinq mois la période de douze mois retenue par la juge pour le préavis raisonnable de cessation (pour la porter à dix-sept mois), afin que la décision rende compte d’un fait particulier : il n’avait pas reçu de préavis l’engageant, durant la [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé » de cinq mois, à chercher du travail, et son retour au travail était escompté. Il soutient enfin que la juge a omis d’examiner sa demande d’intérêts avant jugement. [7] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel, sauf en ce qui a trait aux intérêts avant jugement.
Je suis d’avis d’adjuger, au taux que prescrivent les Règles de procédure , l’intérêt couru à compter du 1 er novembre 2020, point médian entre la violation de contrat de Richelieu et la fin de la période de préavis raisonnable de douze mois . II. Contexte [8] En 2010, M. Donovan est devenu, à la division de Moncton de Richelieu, représentant de commerce chargé du Nouveau-Brunswick et de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard. Les conditions de son emploi ont varié au fil du temps, mais il a gagné, au cours de la période de trois ans qui s’est achevée en 2019, un revenu annuel moyen de 106 500 $.
Ce revenu provenait pour l’essentiel de commissions, auxquelles s’ajoutaient des allocations pour usage de voiture personnelle, frais de carburant et frais de téléphonie cellulaire, et de petits montants destinés à l’acquisition de REER et à une participation au régime d’achat d’actions de Richelieu. En 2020, M. Donovan était âgé de quarante-huit ans.
Titulaire d’un diplôme d’études secondaires, il a également suivi des cours liés à divers secteurs d’activité. [9] Richelieu a expliqué que, en mars 2020, face à la pandémie de la COVID-19, elle avait décidé de procéder à la [TRADUCTION] « mise à pied temporaire » de onze salariés de la division de Moncton et d’autres divisions au Canada et aux États-Unis. À l’époque, il était difficile de prévoir l’effet qu’aurait la pandémie sur les revenus et sur les activités de l’entreprise.
Il s’est trouvé que les ventes de la division de Moncton ont diminué de 20 % en avril, mai et juin 2020, par comparaison avec les ventes réalisées au cours de la même période en 2019. [10] Il ressort du dossier que, au moment où Richelieu a avisé verbalement M. Donovan de sa mise en congé, ni elle ni lui ne savaient exactement ce que signifierait cette mesure sur le plan de leurs obligations contractuelles; il est certain qu’il n’y avait
pas accord des volontés sur l’effet qu’elle aurait sur le contrat de travail de M. Donovan. Les faits incontestés, quant à la [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé » ou [TRADUCTION] « mise à pied », et quant à la décision ultérieure de Richelieu de mettre fin à l’emploi de M. Donovan, sont les suivants : 1. Il ne devait plus fournir de services à Richelieu, que ce soit depuis son domicile ou depuis le bureau de l’entreprise, et sa rémunération a cessé le 1 er avril 2020; 2. Richelieu n’a ni versé d’indemnité tenant lieu de préavis de cessation ni produit de relevé d’emploi, sous le régime de la
Loi sur les normes d’emploi , qui aurait indiqué en principe la raison de la cessation d’emploi; 3. Après la [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé » ou [TRADUCTION] « mise à pied », M. Donovan est demeuré admis au régime d’assurance-maladie offert au personnel de Richelieu; 4. M. Donovan et Richelieu présumaient que la situation serait temporaire et escomptaient son retour au travail; aucune date de retour n’a toutefois été arrêtée; 5. Le 2 septembre 2020, Richelieu a donné à M.
Donovan un avis écrit de la cessation de son emploi et lui a offert le salaire de quatre semaines payable à compter du 2 septembre 2020 au lieu d’un préavis; 6. Richelieu a produit un relevé d’emploi qui indiquait, pour date de cessation d’emploi, le 2 septembre 2020. [11] Après avoir été [TRADUCTION] « mis en congé », M. Donovan a obtenu la prestation canadienne d’urgence (PCU), comme bon nombre de travailleurs ayant subi la perte ou une diminution de leurs revenus en raison de la pandémie de la COVID-19. Rien en l’espèce ne dépendait d’une décision sur le droit que M.
Donovan pourrait avoir eu à des prestations d’assurance-emploi, plutôt qu’à la PCU, par suite de la perte de son revenu d’emploi. Les 2 000 $ par mois reçus n’ont remplacé qu’une fraction de la rémunération perdue par M. Donovan, qui a demandé que ses paiements hypothécaires soient différés au cours de cette période. [12] Il n’est avancé ni que M. Donovan a cru à tort que la [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé » ou la [TRADUCTION] « mise à pied » était temporaire ni qu’il s’est attendu déraisonnablement à reprendre son travail auprès de Richelieu. Il n’a pas été soutenu, non plus, que M.
Donovan aurait dû se mettre à la recherche d’un nouvel emploi avant la cessation de son emploi, le 2 septembre 2020. Au contraire, il a été reconnu que M. Donovan occupait un poste rémunérateur chez Richelieu et qu’il espérait son retour au travail. [13] En octobre 2020, après la cessation de son emploi, M. Donovan a trouvé du travail chez UAP-NAPA. Cet emploi rapportait 55 000 $ par année et ne procurait pas de revenu de commissions. En juillet 2021, UAP-NAPA l’a mis à pied. Au moment où sa motion en jugement
sommaire a été entendue, en août 2021, M. Donovan n’avait pas encore trouvé de nouvel emploi. [14] Nous avons vu que la juge saisie de la motion a rejeté la thèse d’un droit de Richelieu de mettre à pied M. Donovan en avril 2020. Elle est arrivée à la conclusion de fait qu’il n’avait pas été mis à pied et elle a jugé que le par. 31(1) de la Loi sur les normes d’emploi ne fondait pas à procéder à ce qui, en réalité, constituait une dérogation au contrat de travail et une mise à pied de M. Donovan. Cette décision n’est contestée en appel ni par M.
Donovan, pour des raisons évidentes, ni par Richelieu, et je n’y reviendrai pas. [15] Après avoir constaté que la mise à pied qu’avait unilatéralement décidée Richelieu constituait une violation du contrat de travail de M. Donovan, la juge saisie de la motion a conclu qu’il y avait eu congédiement déguisé le 1 er avril 2020. Elle a ordonné que, au lieu d’un préavis, Richelieu verse à M. Donovan la rémunération d’une période de douze mois débutant à cette date, somme dont seraient soustraits ses revenus tirés d’autres emplois. Elle a rejeté l’argument de Richelieu selon lequel la PCU que M.
Donovan avait touchée d’avril à août 2020 devait, de même, être soustraite des dommages-intérêts. Cette décision n’est pas contestée en appel.
III. Moyens d’appel [16] Les moyens d’appel de M. Donovan attribuent à la juge saisie de la motion diverses erreurs. M.
Donovan avance : 1) qu’elle a omis d’examiner sa demande de dédommagement pour le salaire perdu pendant la période de [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé », demande reposant sur une violation de contrat; 2) subsidiairement, qu’elle n’a pas procédé à une application appropriée des principes qui régissent l’établissement d’un préavis de cessation raisonnable, en conséquence de quoi elle n’a pas conclu qu’il avait droit à un préavis additionnel de cinq mois, en sus des douze mois qu’elle avait arrêtés, qui aurait rendu compte de la période de [TRADUCTION] « mise en congé » (et porté à dix-sept mois au total la période ouvrant droit à une indemnité de préavis); 3) qu’elle a omis d’examiner sa demande d’intérêts avant jugement.
IV. Analyse A. Omission d’examiner la demande de dédommagement pour salaire perdu pendant la période de mise en congé? [17] M. Donovan affirme que la juge saisie de la motion n’a pas expressément examiné et jugé au fond, en plus de la demande de dommages-intérêts qu’il avait soumise pour le congédiement abusif subi en septembre 2020, la demande distincte présentée pour le salaire qui ne lui avait pas été versé après sa mise en congé ou mise à pied. Il formule deux arguments principaux sur ce point.
Il soutient que, lorsqu’elle a conclu qu’il avait subi un congédiement déguisé en avril 2020, la juge a rendu sur sa motion, d’abord et avant tout, une décision fondée sur un moyen qu’il n’avait pas plaidé et sur lequel elle n’était pas priée de statuer.
Il soutient ensuite que l’absence de motifs à l’appui du rejet apparent de sa demande de dédommagement pour non-paiement de salaire indique que la juge n’a pas pris acte de la distinction existant entre ses deux demandes distinctes et n’a pas tenu compte du fait, avoué par Richelieu, qu’il n’avait été mis fin à son emploi qu’en septembre 2020. [18] Il me paraît se dégager très clairement des motifs de la juge qu’elle a pris acte des deux demandes distinctes de M. Donovan. Ses motifs expriment également, et correctement à mon sens, sa conclusion à l’absence d’un fondement juridique sur lequel M.
Donovan aurait pu asseoir, en plus de la demande qu’il présentait pour congédiement abusif, une demande de dédommagement pour le salaire perdu (après le 1 er avril 2020). Elle n’a ni négligé ni méjugé le fond de la demande de dédommagement pour perte de salaire. Il s’agissait d’une question essentielle au moment de l’audition de la motion de M. Donovan en jugement
sommaire de même qu’en appel. De fait, la seule autre question de fond était celle du préavis raisonnable exigé par le congédiement abusif, qu’il ait résulté d’un congédiement réel ou déguisé. [19] La juge saisie de la motion a expressément fait état des arguments avancés par M. Donovan au soutien de la demande de dédommagement pour perte de salaire qu’il présentait, en plus de sa demande d’indemnisation pour congédiement abusif. Elle a aussi relevé l’absence de précédents à l’appui : [TRADUCTION] M.
Donovan soutient qu’un [TRADUCTION] « congé » n’est pas un concept juridique et qu’il n’y a pas eu de « mise à pied ». Il soutient que, s’il n’y a pas eu de « mise à pied », M. Donovan avait le droit, et a toujours le droit, de recevoir son salaire et ses avantages sociaux pour la période d’avril à septembre en plus du préavis raisonnable auquel il a droit par suite de la cessation de son emploi en septembre 2020. M.
Donovan n’invoque aucune jurisprudence à l’appui de sa position selon laquelle il devrait être indemnisé pour la période de cinq mois de la mise à pied présumée, en plus de toute indemnité tenant lieu de préavis raisonnable auquel il a droit. […] [par. 41 et 42] [20] Plus loin dans ses motifs, la juge a expliqué que les précédents qu’avait invoqués M. Donovan n’établissaient pas son [TRADUCTION] « droit d’être indemnisé intégralement pour la période de cinq mois allant d’avril à septembre 2020, en plus de
recevoir [l’]indemnité tenant lieu de préavis raisonnable à laquelle il [avait] droit » : [TRADUCTION] Bien que les précédents invoqués par M. Donovan appuient la conclusion qu’il a effectivement fait l’objet d’un congédiement déguisé en avril 2020, ils n’appuient pas ni ne constituent des précédents au soutien de son assertion selon laquelle il a le droit d’être indemnisé intégralement pour la période de cinq mois allant d’avril à septembre 2020, en plus de recevoir une indemnité tenant lieu de préavis raisonnable à laquelle il a droit.
Je conclus que la mise à pied présumée a constitué un congédiement déguisé et que l’emploi de M. Donovan a pris fin en avril 2020 ( voir Hogan c. 1187938 B.C. Ltd. , 2021 BCSC 1021 , aux par. 36 et 37 ; voir aussi Slater c. Halifax Herald Limited , 2021 NSSC 210 ). [Je souligne; par. 48] [21] Je signale au passage que cet extrait indique, par ailleurs, que la juge a constaté que les précédents invoqués à l’appui de la motion étayaient sa conclusion que Richelieu n’avait pas la capacité de mettre à pied M.
Donovan et que celui-ci était donc en droit d’affirmer que la mise à pied constituait un congédiement déguisé ( Hogan c. 1187938 B.C. Ltd . , 2021 BCSC 1021 , [2021] B.C.J. No. 1169 (QL) , et Slater c. Halifax Herald Limited , 2021 NSSC 210 , [2021] N.S.J. No. 263 (QL) ). Sur ce fondement, la juge saisie de la motion a conclu que M. Donovan avait subi un congédiement déguisé et qu’il avait été mis fin à son emploi en avril 2020. Si la situation de M. Donovan ressemble à celles qui se présentaient dans les affaires Hogan et Slater , il existe toutefois une différence importante.
Dans ces causes, le salarié soutenait que la mise à pied était injustifiée et qu’elle lui donnait le droit de plaider le congédiement déguisé, argumentation que le tribunal a accueillie. Par contraste, M. Donovan – et ses vues sur ce point sont au cœur de la position qu’il défend en appel – n’a pas tenu sa mise en congé ou mise à pied pour un congédiement déguisé et il n’a pas plaidé en ce sens. De fait, non seulement M.
Donovan a choisi de ne pas intenter une action pour congédiement déguisé et d’attendre dans l’espoir d’un retour au travail, mais il a rédigé à dessein son exposé de la demande, après que Richelieu a mis fin à son emploi, de façon à pouvoir réclamer des dommages-intérêts tant pour congédiement abusif, en conséquence de la cessation réelle de son emploi en septembre 2020, que pour le salaire perdu au cours de la période de mise à pied. [22] Je reviens maintenant aux motifs qui m’ont amené à conclure que la juge saisie de la motion avait décidé, correctement, qu’il n’existait pas de fondement juridique à la demande de M.
Donovan sollicitant un dédommagement pour perte de salaire [TRADUCTION] « en plus de [l’]indemnité tenant lieu de préavis raisonnable à laquelle il [avait] droit ». [23] Premièrement, si cette décision n’est pas explicitement énoncée dans les motifs de la juge, elle y est implicitement exprimée . La juge a affirmé plus d’une fois qu’aucun précédent n’étayait la demande. Dans les précédents invoqués par M. Donovan, nous l’avons vu, le salarié affirmait avoir fait l’objet d’un congédiement déguisé parce que l’employeur lui avait imposé une mise à pied injustifiable attribuée à la pandémie de la COVID-19.
Ces précédents n’établissent pas qu’une mise à pied injustifiée donne droit à des dommages-intérêts pour le salaire perdu au cours de la période de mise à pied, ainsi qu’à des dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif par suite d’une cessation d’emploi ultérieure, qu’elle soit réelle ou déguisée. [24] Deuxièmement, bien que ce ne soit pas indiqué en termes exprès, le rejet par la juge de la demande de dédommagement pour perte de salaire que présentait M.
Donovan (en plus d’une demande distincte de dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif) reconnaissait un principe juridique fondamental : le droit d’un salarié à des dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif émane du défaut de préavis raisonnable de congédiement. Il en est ainsi, que le congédiement abusif résulte d’un congédiement réel ou déguisé. [25] Devant la décision de Richelieu de le mettre à pied, M.
Donovan était en droit de choisir : 1) soit d’acquiescer à ce changement unilatéral apporté à son contrat de travail; 2) soit d’y voir une violation substantielle de la part de Richelieu, à laquelle il n’acquiesçait pas et dont résultait son congédiement, en l’occurrence un congédiement déguisé. Bref, M. Donovan pouvait suivre l’une de ces voies, mais non l’une et l’autre. Abstraction faite des questions de tolérance de la mise à pied et de limitation des dommages, même après septembre 2020, M. Donovan pouvait choisir quelle voie suivre.
S’il avait acquiescé au changement apporté par Richelieu, son action pour congédiement abusif aurait certainement été fondée sur la cessation réelle de son emploi, survenue en septembre 2020. M. Donovan a préféré plaider, outre un congédiement abusif subi en septembre 2020, son droit au salaire non versé après avril 2020, comme si le contrat de travail s’était poursuivi, aux conditions d’origine, après la mise à pied. [26] Dans l’arrêt Potter c.
Commission des services d’aide juridique du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2015 CSC 10 , [2015] 1 R.C.S. 500 , le juge Wagner (tel était alors son titre) a énoncé clairement les principes qui s’appliquent lorsqu’un salarié fait face à un changement substantiel unilatéral apporté au contrat de travail par l’employeur. Il peut soit acquiescer à la modification soit y voir une répudiation du contrat et réclamer des dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif, sur le fondement d’un congédiement déguisé.
Il a donné les explications suivantes : Lorsque, par sa conduite, l’employeur manifeste l’intention de ne plus être lié par le contrat de travail, le salarié peut soit acquiescer à la conduite de l’employeur ou à la modification qu’il apporte au contrat, soit y voir la répudiation du contrat et intenter contre
l’employeur une poursuite pour congédiement injustifié. C’est ce qui ressort de Farber, par. 33, l’arrêt de principe en matière decongédiement déguisé au Canada. Voir également In re Rubel Bronze and Metal Co. and Vos, [1918] 1 K.B. 315, p. 322. Comme lesalarié n’a pas été formellement congédié, la mesure prise par l’employeur est appelée « congédiement déguisé ». L’emploi duqualificatif [TRADUCTION] « déguisé » indique que le congédiement s’entend d’une fiction juridique : les actes de l’employeur sontassimilés à un congédiement en raison de la manière dont ils sont qualifiés en droit (J. A. Yogis et C.
Cotter, Barron’s Canadian Law Dictionary (6e éd. 2009), p. 61; B. A. Garner, dir., Black’s Law Dictionary (10e éd. 2014), p. 380). [Je souligne; par. 30] [27] Dans Farber c. Cie Trust Royal, (CSC), [1997] 1 R.C.S. 846, [1996] A.C.S. no 118 (QL), lejuge Gonthier a écrit ce qui suit sur le droit d’un salarié de voir un congédiement dans le changement unilatéral apporté au contrat detravail par l’employeur : En matière de congédiement déguisé (« constructive dismissal »), les tribunaux canadiens des provinces de common law ont appliqué leprincipe général voulant que lorsqu’une
partie à un contrat démontre son intention de ne plus être liée par celui-ci, elle est àl’origine d’un bris fondamental de ce contrat, lequel entraîne sa résiliation.
L’arrêt de principe sur cette question est une décisiond’Angleterre, In re Rubel Bronze and Metal Co. and Vos, [1918] 1 K.B. 315, qui déclare aux pp. 321 et 322 : […] Ainsi, il a été établi dans nombre de décisions canadiennes de common law que le fait pour un employeur d’imposer unilatéralement unemodification fondamentale ou substantielle au contrat de travail de son employé, laquelle contrevient aux termes du contrat, constitue unbris fondamental de ce contrat, entraînant sa résiliation et permettant à l’employé de considérer qu’il a fait l’objet d’uncongédiement déguisé.
L’employé a alors le droit de réclamer des dommages de son employeur à
titre de préavis raisonnable.(Voir, en guise d’illustration […]). Le juge N. W. Sherstobitoff de la Cour d’appel de la Saskatchewan, dans un
article intitulé « Constructive Dismissal », dans B. D. Bruce,dir., Le travail, le chômage et la justice (1994), 127, a d’ailleurs défini comme suit la notion de congédiement déguisé, à la p. 129 : [TRADUCTION] Il y a congédiement déguisé lorsqu’un employeur apporte unilatéralement une modification fondamentale à unecondition d’un contrat de travail, sans donner à l’employé visé un préavis suffisant de cette modification. Un tel acte équivaut à larésiliation du contrat de travail par l’employeur, qu’il ait eu ou non l’intention de maintenir les rapports employeur-employé.
Parconséquent, l’employé peut considérer qu’il y a eu résiliation fautive du contrat et remettre sa démission, situation qui, à sontour, fait naître l’obligation de la part de l’employeur de verser à l’employé des dommages-intérêts tenant lieu de délai-congésuffisant. [Je souligne; par. 33 et 34] [28] Cependant, si le salarié consent à la modification unilatérale apportée par l’employeur, il n’y a ni violation ducontrat, ni congédiement déguisé, ni cessation de l’emploi.
Comme le juge Wagner l’a expliqué dans l’arrêt Potter : La première étape de l’analyse exige du tribunal qu’il se prononce objectivement sur l’existence d’une violation. Il lui faut alorsexaminer si l’employeur a modifié unilatéralement le contrat. Lorsqu’une stipulation expresse ou tacite autorise l’employeur à apporterla modification, ou que le salarié consent à celle-ci, il ne s’agit pas d’un acte unilatéral, de sorte qu’il n’y a pas de violation ni, parconséquent, de congédiement déguisé.
En outre, pour constituer une violation, la modification doit être préjudiciable au salarié. [Jesouligne; par. 37] [29] La question de savoir si la conduite du salarié équivaut à un consentement au changement apporté parl’employeur peut faire l’objet d’un vif débat. Au
chapitre de la tolérance manifestée par un salarié, on pourra se reporter à l’ouvrage dePeter Barnacle intitulé Employment Law in Canada, p. 13-77. Il n’a pas été avancé ici que M. Donovan avait consenti à la mise à pied oul’avait tolérée. Cela dit, le fait demeure qu’il soutient à la fois que son emploi a cessé en septembre seulement et qu’il n’a pas acquiescéau droit de Richelieu de le mettre à pied sans salaire. [30] En somme, la juge saisie de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur lorsqu’elle a rejeté la demande dedédommagement pour perte de salaire que M. Donovan présentait en plus de sa demande d’indemnité pour congédiement abusif, quelleque soit la date de prise d’effet retenue.
[31] Reste l’argument de M. Donovan voulant que la juge, même si elle n’a pas commis d’erreur en ce qui a trait àla demande de dédommagement pour perte de salaire, ait néanmoins fait erreur lorsqu’elle a conclu qu’il avait subi un congédiementdéguisé en avril 2020 plutôt qu’un congédiement abusif en septembre 2020, le moment de la cessation de son emploi, comme il lesoutenait dans l’exposé de sa demande. [32] M. Donovan a toutefois abandonné ce moyen lors de l’audition de l’appel.
Il ne souhaitait pas, a-t-il expliqué,continuer à contester la décision de la juge saisie de la motion d’évaluer les dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif en supposantun congédiement déguisé subi en avril 2020, si notre Cour devait décider qu’il n’avait pas droit à des dommages-intérêts pour perte desalaire (en plus de dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif). Cet abandon reposait sur des considérations pratiques et non pas surun choix de considérer les actes de Richelieu comme un congédiement déguisé et la cessation de son emploi comme survenue à cemoment-là. [33]
Malgré ce changement, j’aborderai brièvement l’argument de M. Donovan voulant que la juge, lorsqu’elle aconclu qu’il avait subi un congédiement déguisé, ait fait erreur puisqu’il n’avait pas plaidé ce moyen et que cette conclusion va àl’encontre de la reconnaissance par Richelieu d’une cessation d’emploi survenue en septembre 2020.
Cet argument est valable, mais iln’est pas tout à fait étonnant que la juge, après avoir conclu à l’absence de fondement juridique à la demande de dédommagement pourperte de salaire (en plus de dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif), ait considéré la demande présentée pour congédiement abusifcomme sollicitant pareillement des dommages-intérêts établis en date d’avril 2020, mois où M. Donovan a cessé de recevoir son revenu,et comme se fondant sur la conclusion qu’il avait fait l’objet d’un congédiement déguisé. Il s’agissait de la démarche adoptée dans lesprécédents qu’il avait invoqués. Il est vrai que M.
Donovan n’avait pas soutenu qu’il avait subi un congédiement déguisé (en avril 2020),mais la raison n’en était pas un acquiescement ou un consentement à sa mise à pied. Au contraire, il contestait sa mise à pied et réclamaitdes dommages-intérêts pour perte de salaire, qui correspondent, dans une large mesure, aux dommages-intérêts qu’il demandait pourcongédiement abusif. Il n’a pas plaidé le congédiement déguisé ainsi dans l’unique but, il faut en convenir, de faire valoir une demandeparticulière qui sollicitait un dédommagement pour le salaire non versé après avril 2020.
En l’absence d’indication expresse précisantque la violation de contrat d’avril 2020 de Richelieu ne devait pas servir de fondement à la demande d’indemnisation que présentaitM. Donovan pour congédiement abusif, la décision contraire de la juge saisie de la motion ne peut être qualifiée, en toute justice, designe d’une incompréhension de la distinction à faire entre ses demandes. Quoi qu’il en soit, M. Donovan a renoncé à la contestationouverte sur ce point. B. La période de préavis raisonnable doit-elle être prolongée de cinq mois? [34] Nous avons vu que M.
Donovan, en plus de soutenir que la juge a commis une erreur lorsqu’elle a rejeté sademande de dédommagement pour le salaire non reçu tandis que mis à pied, avance un moyen subsidiaire : elle aurait dû prolonger decinq mois la période de préavis qu’elle a fixée à douze mois, afin que la décision rende compte de la période de mise à pied injustifiéequi lui a été imposée, au cours de laquelle il a raisonnablement attendu l’occasion de reprendre son poste et différé sa recherche detravail. [35] M.
Donovan sollicitait de la juge saisie de la motion, pour indemnité de préavis, douze à quinze mois desalaire, en plus de présenter une demande distincte de dédommagement pour le salaire qui ne lui avait pas été versé d’avril à août 2020.Richelieu estimait que quatre semaines de salaire tenant lieu de préavis satisfaisaient à son obligation ou que, subsidiairement, un préavisde dix mois serait suffisant. Après avoir pris en considération l’ensemble des circonstances, suivant Bramble et al. c.
Medis Health and Pharmaceutical Services Inc. (1999), (NB CA), 214 R.N.-B. (2e) 111, [1999] A.N.-B. no 307 (QL) (C.A.), la jugesaisie de la motion a décidé qu’un préavis de douze mois était approprié. Elle a pris en compte l’argument de M. Donovan faisant valoirque la pandémie, raison de son congédiement, justifiait une prolongation de la période de préavis. La juge a expliqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]Je reconnais qu’un ralentissement de l’économie, indiquant qu’un employé peut avoir de la difficulté à trouver un autre poste, peutjustifier un préavis plus long.
J’ajouterais que les circonstances d’un ralentissement économique ne devraient pas entraîner uneprolongation automatique, ou selon une formule, du préavis, mais devraient plutôt être un facteur à considérer en même temps que toutesles autres circonstances pertinentes. De plus, je souscris à l’assertion de la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique faite dans l’arrêtHunter, précité, selon laquelle on ne devrait pas accorder à ce facteur une importance indue. [par. 54] [36] Précisons, par souci de clarté, que M.
Donovan ne conteste la décision de la juge sur la période de préavis quedans la mesure où il avance que cette décision, pour rendre compte de la période de mise à pied, aurait dû lui accorder cinq mois en susdu préavis tenu d’ordinaire pour raisonnable. M. Donovan affirme que Richelieu lui avait donné à entendre qu’il reprendrait son travail etqu’en conséquence il a attendu et n’a pas cherché de nouvel emploi. Il soutient que la décision de la juge a pour résultat que, au lieud’obtenir douze mois de préavis pour la recherche d’un nouvel emploi, il en a obtenu sept.
[37] Richelieu soutient que le préavis de douze mois n’est pas le produit d’une erreur. Elle ajoute que la thèse deM. Donovan n’est étayée par aucun précédent et qu’elle est dépourvue de fondement. [38] Je n’admets pas que, ainsi que l’affirme M. Donovan, la juge ait commis une erreur en n’ajoutant pas cinqmois à la période de préavis de douze mois afin qu’il soit rendu compte de la période de mise à pied.
Cet argument est sans fondement.Quoique la mesure dans laquelle il est possible d’obtenir un autre emploi, y compris dans le contexte d’une pandémie, soit un facteur quidoit jouer dans l’établissement d’une période de préavis raisonnable, ce facteur a été pris en compte par la juge et il a joué lorsqu’elle adécidé qu’une période de préavis de douze mois était appropriée. [39] Il ne fait aucun doute que Richelieu a placé M. Donovan dans une situation très difficile lorsqu’elle l’ainformé, en mars 2020, de sa mise en congé sans salaire. Personne ne savait combien de temps il aurait à passer sans revenu.
Ainsi quel’a constaté la juge saisie de la motion, M. Donovan pouvait, par suite de la décision de Richelieu, considérer la mise à pied comme uncongédiement déguisé. Il a plutôt choisi d’attendre, dans l’espoir de reprendre son travail. Il n’a pas été avancé que cette ligne deconduite était déraisonnable. Il s’agissait d’un poste rémunérateur, qui procurait un revenu de plus de 100 000 $ par année, etM. Donovan prévoyait avoir beaucoup de mal à trouver un poste comparable vu sa formation, son expérience et son âge.
En fait, onimagine mal qu’il ait pu faire un autre choix dans les circonstances, du moins au départ. Comme l’indique le dossier, il a appris, avant lacessation de son emploi, que les salariés mis à pied ne seraient pas tous rappelés au travail. La décision rendue sur la période de préavisraisonnable doit être évaluée en tenant compte de facteurs multiples. La décision de la juge sur ce point ne comporte pas d’erreur. Agircomme le demande maintenant M. Donovan serait indemniser d’une mise à pied sous couvert de préavis. [40] Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. C.
Intérêts avant jugement [41] Dans l’exposé de sa demande, M. Donovan sollicitait les intérêts courus sur tous les montants[TRADUCTION] « à compter de la date du congédiement ». Cette demande n’a pas été abordée dans les motifs de la juge. M. Donovansoutient que cet oubli doit être réparé et qu’il convient que notre Cour adjuge les intérêts demandés.
Richelieu répond que le silence desmotifs sur les intérêts avant jugement traduit une décision de la juge de ne pas accorder cette mesure réparatoire et que cette décision nenécessite pas de motifs. [42] Notre Cour a examiné les principes applicables à l’adjudication d’intérêts avant jugement, dans le contexte de dommages-intérêts pour congédiement abusif, dans Jean c. Pêcheries Roger L. Ltée, 2010 NBCA 10, 354 R.N.-B. (2e) 300.
Elle aaccueilli l’appel interjeté du refus du juge du procès d’accorder au demandeur des intérêts avant jugement pour toute la période quis’était écoulée entre la rupture de contrat associée au congédiement abusif et la date du jugement. Le juge avait statué ainsi afin desanctionner le salarié pour un manque de diligence dans la poursuite de l’action. Après avoir conclu que le juge avait commis une erreurde principe, notre Cour a ordonné le paiement des intérêts avant jugement courus à compter du milieu de la période de préavisraisonnable.
Auteur des motifs de la Cour, le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) a écrit ce qui suit sur l’objet visé par uneadjudication d’intérêts avant jugement décidée en vertu de l’art. 45 de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2 : Le par. 45(1) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2 investit la Cour du pouvoir d’ordonner « que soient inclusdans la somme au paiement de laquelle le jugement condamne, les intérêts couvrant tout ou
partie de la créance ou des dommages-intérêts pendant tout ou
partie de la période couvrant de la date à laquelle la cause d’action a pris naissance et la date du jugement ».Cette disposition confère un large pouvoir discrétionnaire et le produit de son exercice ne saurait être modifié en appel que si l’une oul’autre des conditions précisées dans l’affaire Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. Beaverbrook Art Gallery (2006), 302 R.N.-B. (2e) 161, [2006] A.N.-B. no 307 (QL), 2006 NBCA 75 est en jeu : […] Comme le juge Turnbull l’a rappelé dans l’affaire LeClerc c.
Sunbury Transport Ltd. (1996), (NB CA), 184 R.N.-B. (2e) 1 (C.A.), [1996] A.N.-B. no 600 (QL), l’attribution d’intérêts aux termes du par. 45(1) vise à mettre le demandeur dansune situation « qui fait disparaître la perte dans la mesure où une somme d’argent peut y parvenir » (par. 47).
Une telle attribution dansune affaire comme la présente vise deux objectifs qui sont étroitement reliés : (1) indemniser l’employé lésé pour la perte découlant de laprivation de ses fonds; et (2) éviter que l’employeur, qui a injustement retenu et utilisé ces fonds, ne réalise un profit fortuit et nes’enrichisse aux dépens de son ancien employé. À ce propos, je fais miennes les observations suivantes du juge d’appel Richard, par la
suite juge en chef de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, dans l’arrêt Cyr c. Roman Catholic Bishop of Edmundston (1982), (NB CA), 39 R.N.-B. (2e) 361 (C.A.), [1982] A.N.-B. no 159 (QL) : Par conséquent, un examen du raisonnement dans les causes précitées ainsi que la logique démontrent facilement que le principe de basequi doit amener la cour à accorder des intérêts sur une indemnité en dommages-intérêts consiste à trouver qu’une
partie a été privéed’une somme d’argent pour une période quelconque alors que cette somme aurait dû lui être versée à une date déterminée. Il s’agit làd’une pratique simple et universelle des institutions bancaires du pays, lesquelles paient aux déposants de fonds des intérêts pourl’utilisation de ces mêmes fonds. Il est raisonnable de s’attendre à ce que quiconque a un surplus d’argent le mette en banque ou dans unétablissement de fiducie afin que cet argent lui rapporte de l’intérêt.
Ainsi, si A doit une somme d’argent à B à une date déterminée etqu’il omet de la payer, il prive B de l’intérêt auquel celui-ci a droit et en gardant ladite somme pour une plus longue période, s’enrichitinjustement aux dépens d’une autre personne. Le critère devrait donc être la détermination de la date à laquelle la somme devientpayable ou de la date à laquelle cette somme aurait dû raisonnablement être payée.
Par conséquent, dans une action en responsabilitédélictuelle, les dates d’échéance respective des divers chefs de dommages sont tout probablement différentes; il est donc nécessaired’examiner chaque chef individuellement afin de pouvoir calculer l’intérêt à partir de la date appropriée. Finalement, les catégoriessuivantes semblent devoir être retenues : [TRADUCTION]
(1) Dans un cas où le paiement d’une dette est injustement retenu et que les circonstances justifient que le créancier soit dédommagé aumoyen du paiement d’intérêts, l’intérêt devrait être accordé à compter de la date d’échéance de la dette et le taux d’intérêt sur empruntsconsenti au créancier par la banque au cours de la période en question peut être utilisé. Si le créancier n’établit pas ce taux, la cour peutfixer l’intérêt au taux courant.
(2) Dans le cas des dommages-intérêts spéciaux alloués dans une action en responsabilité délictuelle, le calcul de l’intérêt dépendra de ladate où les dettes furent contractées ou de la date où elles seront contractées s’il s’agit de dépenses futures pouvant être déterminées. Parconséquent, la règle qui veut qu’en général l’intérêt soit calculé sur leur montant global à un taux égal à la moitié du taux applicable àcompter de la date de l’accident jusqu’à la date du jugement est un compromis judicieux. Cette règle ne donnera pas des résultatsmathématiques parfaits, mais elle est conçue pour être pratique.
S’il arrive un cas important, c’est-à-dire un cas où une sommeconsidérable d’argent est en jeu, et qu’une
partie produit la preuve de la date exacte du paiement des dépenses relatives auxdommages-intérêts spéciaux, je ne vois rien qui empêcherait la cour de faire une exception et de dévier de la règle générale, étant donnéque le calcul du dédommagement serait alors plus précis. [par. 33] [Je souligne; par. 68 et 69] [43] Le juge en chef Drapeau a aussi expliqué que, bien que des intérêts avant jugement sur l’indemnité tenant lieude préavis raisonnable aient été adjugés à compter de la date du congédiement dans certaines décisions, il n’y avait pas unanimité à cetégard.
Après avoir examiné les diverses solutions retenues au Canada, il a arrêté son choix sur une méthode qui « indemnise l’employélésé, sans pour autant punir l’employeur » : Voulant rendre un jugement qui indemnise l’employé lésé, sans pour autant punir l’employeur ou compliquer le calcul des intérêtsapplicables, les tribunaux ont favorisé leur attribution à compter d’une date subséquente à la perte pécuniaire. Malheureusement, il n’y apas d’accord sur la méthode qu’il convient d’appliquer pour sélectionner la date en question.
Certaines décisions privilégient une date aumilieu du délai de préavis raisonnable (voir Christianson v. North Hill News Inc. (1993), 1993 ABCA 232 , 145 A.R. 58 (C.A.), [1993] A.J. no 672 (QL)), alors que d’autres favorisent une date au milieu de la période entre le congédiement et le jugement (voir lesarrêts cités dans Ball, Canadian Employment Law, vol. 2, feuilles mobiles, Aurora, Ont., Canada Law Book, 2009, par. 22.20.26).
Au Nouveau-Brunswick, les dommages-intérêts en guise d’indemnité tenant lieu de préavis raisonnable de congédiement constituent desdommages-intérêts particuliers, et non des dommages-intérêts généraux comme c’est le cas, semble-t-il, ailleurs au pays, notamment en Ontario. Dans ce ressort-ci, la question a été tranchée dans l’affai