2018 NBCA 82, 2018 NBCA 82
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 129-17-CA KEITH MARSDEN and KENNETH MARSDEN APPELLANTS KEITH MARSDEN et KENNETH MARSDEN APPELANTS - and - - et - VERNA TALBOT RESPONDENT VERNA TALBOT INTIMÉE Marsden et al. v. Talbot, 2018 NBCA 82 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Marsden et autre c.
Talbot, 2018 NBCA 82 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Probate Court: October 17, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour des successions : le 17 octobre 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 199 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBBR 199 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: October 23, 2018 Appel entendu : le 23 octobre 2018 Judgment rendered: October 23, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 23 octobre 2018
Counsel at hearing: For the appellants : Kenneth W. Martin For the respondent: Simon-Pierre Godbout Avocats à l'audience : Pour les appelants : Kenneth W. Martin Pour l’intimée : Simon-Pierre Godbout THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with one set of costs of $1,500. LA COUR Déboute les appelants, qu’elle condamne à verser, en une seule masse, des dépens de 1 500 $. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT (Orally) [ 1 ] The application judge granted an application for a declaration under s. 35.1 (
a) of the Wills Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. W-9, that the purported last will and testament of the late Jean Agnes MacDonald Marsden be declared valid and fully effective as if it had been executed in compliance with the formal requirements imposed by the Act . The decision is reported at Marsden Estate (Re) , 2017 NBQB 199 , 2017 N.B.J. No. 295 (QL) . Having regard to the application judge’s comprehensive reasons and his determination the draft will embodied the testamentary intentions of Mrs. Marsden, we can find no justification to interfere.
Furthermore, s. 2.02(7.2) of Regulation 84-9 of the Probate Court Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-17 .1 permitted the application judge to accept evidence as he considered satisfactory to determine whether the document met the requirements of s. 35.1 of the Act . We are in substantial agreement with the essential features of the carefully considered reasons of the application judge. [ 2 ] The appeal is dismissed with one set of costs payable by the appellants to the respondent in the amount of $1,500. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR
(oralement) [1] Le juge saisi de la requête a rendu, en vertu de l’al. 35.1a) de la
Loi sur les testaments , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. W-9, un jugement déclaratoire portant que le testament rédigé à la demande de feue Jean Agnes MacDonald Marsden était valable et entièrement en vigueur, comme s’il avait été fait conformément aux formalités qu’impose la Loi . La décision a été publiée : Succession de Jean Agnes MacDonald Marsden , 2017 NBBR 199 , 2017 A.N.-B. n o 295 (QL) ). Vu les motifs détaillés du juge et sa conclusion que le projet de testament exprimait les intentions testamentaires de M me Marsden, rien ne nous paraît justifier l’infirmation de sa décision. Par ailleurs, le par. 2.02(7.2) du Règlement 84-9 de la
Loi sur la Cour des successions , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-17.1, permettait au juge saisi de la requête de recevoir la preuve qu’il jugeait suffisante pour déterminer si le document satisfaisait aux exigences de l’art. 35.1 de la Loi . Nous souscrivons en substance aux points essentiels des motifs solidement raisonnés du juge saisi de la requête. [1] Les appelants sont déboutés et condamnés à verser à l’intimée, en une seule masse, des dépens de 1 500 $.