R. v. Sahadeo, 2016 ONCJ 122
Opinion
CITATION: R. v. Sahadeo , 2016 ONCJ 122 DATE: 2016·03·09 COURT FILE No.: 3161-00-4522076B ONTARIO COURT OF JUSTICE BETWEEN: HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Respondent - and – ANDERSON SAHADEO Appellant Before Justice P.A. Schreck Heard on February 26, 2016 REASONS FOR JUDGMENT C. Mariuz ............................................................................................... agent for the Respondent C. Walpole .................................................................................................. agent for the Appellant SCHRECK J.: [ 1 ] Where a defendant charged with a provincial offence under
Part I of the Provincial Offences Act (“ POA” ) fails to appear at the time and place appointed for trial, s. 9.1(2) of the POA allows the court to enter a conviction without a hearing. The scope of that
section is the central issue on this appeal. [ 2 ] The Appellant was charged with “unsafe lane change”, contrary to s. 154(1)(
a) of the Highway Traffic Act (“ HTA ”) . On the date his trial was scheduled to take place before His Worship Justice of the Peace Cotter, a paralegal acting on the appellant’s behalf (not Mr. Walpole) appeared and requested an adjournment. The request was denied, at which time the paralegal advised the presiding Justice of the Peace that he was instructed not to participate in the proceedings any further. The Justice of the Peace proceeded to enter a conviction without a hearing pursuant to s. 9.1(2) of the POA.
The appellant appeals his conviction on two grounds: (1) that the learned Justice of the Peace erred in failing to grant an adjournment, and (2) that the learned Justice of the Peace erred in proceeding pursuant to s. 9.1(2) of the POA. [ 3 ] For the reasons that follow, I am of the view that it was within the Justice of the Peace’s discretion to refuse the adjournment. However, I agree that it was not open to him to proceed by way of s. 9.1(2) in the circumstances as the appellant had, through an agent, appeared at his trial. As a result, the conviction is set aside and a new trial is ordered.
I. FACTS [4] On October 10, 2014, following a motor vehicle accident, the appellant was charged with “unsafe lane change” contrary to s.154(1)(
a) of the HTA. The matter was originally scheduled for trial on March 28, 2015. The day before the trial, an agent acting for theappellant brought a motion for further disclosure. At that time, the prosecutor provided the agent with further disclosure and advisedhim that the balance of what he was seeking was not in the possession of the prosecution. On consent, the trial date was vacated and anew date was scheduled for April 22, 2015. [5] On April 22, 2015, an agent representing the appellant appeared but the appellant was not personally present.
The agentadvised the court that he had been instructed to “ask for an adjournment based on some unsatisfied disclosure request”. The disclosuresaid to be missing was a portion of a collision report that had been cut off when the document had been sent by way of facsimiletransmission. While the record is not entirely clear, it appears that another paralegal was to have represented the appellant at trial buthad cancelled at the last minute.
The appellant, who was himself a paralegal, was in court in Orangeville. [6] The presiding Justice of the Peace noted that the appellant would have known of the disclosure issue in advance and couldeasily have remedied it by requesting another copy of the report from the prosecutor. He had not done so, nor had he given theprosecution or the court any advance notice of his adjournment application. The request for the adjournment was denied. [7] Given that the trial was to proceed, the paralegal representing the appellant was given an opportunity to seek furtherinstructions.
He responded as follows: Thank you, Your Worship. I explained that this is likely what’s going to happen this morning, reading between the lines earlier, and he’sinstructed me to just walk away from it at this point, Your Worship. [8] The Justice of the Peace then directed that the appellant be paged. When there was no response to the page, the Justice ofthe Peace stated: All, right, reviewing the certificate pursuant to s. 9.1(b) [sic], with no one appearing today, the certificate appears to be regular on itsface. With no one appearing, deemed not to dispute; a conviction is registered . . . . II. ANALYSIS A.
The Refusal of the Adjournment [9] The decision to grant or refuse an adjournment is discretionary and an appellate court will interfere only where the discretionwas not exercised judicially or where it has resulted in a miscarriage of justice: R. v. Smith (2001), (ON CA), 161C.C.C. (3d) 1 (Ont. C.A.). In this case, as the Justice of the Peace observed, the need for the adjournment could easily have beenobviated by the appellant far in advance of the trial. In my view, the Justice of Peace was correct to refuse the adjournment. B.
Section 9.1 of the POA (
i) Relevant Statutory Provisions [10]
Section 9.1 of the POA provides as follows:
9.1
(1) A defendant is deemed to not wish to dispute the charge where the defendant has been issued a notice of the time and place oftrial and fails to appear at the time and place appointed for the trial.
(2) If subsection (1) applies,
section 54 does not apply, and a justice shall examine the certificate of offence and shall without a hearingenter a conviction in the defendant’s absence and impose the set fine for the offence if the certificate is complete and regular on its face.
(3) The justice shall quash the proceeding if he or she is not able to enter a conviction. [11]
Section 9.1 only applies to charges that are commenced by way of a certificate of offence.
Section 54 applies to charges thatare commenced by the swearing of an information and provides as follows: 54.
(1) Where a defendant does not appear at the time and place appointed for a hearing and it is proved by the prosecutor, having beengiven a reasonable opportunity to do so, that a summons was served, a notice of trial was given under
Part I or II, an undertaking toappear was given or a recognizance to appear was entered into, as the case may be, or where the defendant does not appear upon theresumption of a hearing that has been adjourned, the court may, (
a) proceed to hear and determine the proceeding in the absence of the defendant; or (
b) adjourn the hearing and, if it thinks fit, issue a summons to appear or issue a warrant in the prescribed form for the arrest of thedefendant.
(2) Where the court proceeds under clause (1)(
a) or adjourns the hearing under clause (1)(
b) without issuing a summons or warrant, noproceeding arising out of the failure of the defendant to appear at the time and place appointed for the hearing or for the resumption ofthe hearing shall be instituted, or if instituted shall be proceeded with, except with the consent of the Attorney General or his or heragent. (ii)
Section 11(
d) of the Charter and Presumed Waiver [12]
Section 11(
d) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees anybody who is charged with an offence “to bepresumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal”. Thisguarantee applies to regulatory offences: R. v. Wigglesworth, (SCC), [1987] 2 S.C.R. 541, at para. 22. [13] Like all Charter rights, the rights guaranteed by s. 11(
d) can be waived. In the regulatory context, it is open to the legislatureto statutorily permit a court to infer waiver from a defendant’s failure to appear at the time and place appointed for trial. This was madeclear by the Supreme Court of Canada in its consideration of a similar New Brunswick provision in R. v. Richard, (SCC), [1996] 3 S.C.R. 525 at para. 8: Contrary to the opinion expressed by the Court of Queen’s Bench and the Court of Appeal, s. 16 of the Act does not infringe s. 11(
d) ofthe Charter. In my view, an accused who fails both to pay the fine indicated in the ticket and to appear in court at the time and placestated therein waives the benefit of s. 11(
d) of the Charter, and therefore the right “to be presumed innocent until proven guilty accordingto law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal”, in the same way as if he or she had, for example, decided toplead guilty. Although at common law, the silence of the accused is equivalent to a plea of not guilty rather than to one of guilty andtherefore in a criminal context ss. 7 and 11(
d) might require any waiver to be made only upon appearance (a question on which I expressno opinion), it is entirely different in the context of regulatory offences for which imprisonment is not a possibility and whichaccordingly do not bring the liberty component of s. 7 into play. In such a context, I am of the view that s. 11(
d) of the Charter in no wayprevents the legislature from inferring from the accused’s failure to act a waiver on his or her part of the right to a fair and public hearingby an independent and impartial tribunal, provided that he or she is fully aware of the consequences of failing to act and that theprocedural scheme in place provides sufficient safeguards to ensure that the conduct of the accused was not due to events over which heor she had no control. That is the case here. That the reasoning in Richard applies to s. 9.1 of the POA was made clear by the Ontario Court of Appeal in R. v. Jamieson (2013), 2013
ONCA 760 , 118 O.R. (3d) 327 (C.A.). Thus, s. 9.1(2) of the POA is not inconsistent with s. 11(
d) of the Charter because whena defendant fails to appear for trial, it can be inferred that he or she has waived the right to a trial. (iii) Application to the Case at Bar [14] In this case, it cannot be said that the appellant “fail[ed] to appear at the time and place appointed for trial”. He did appear byinstructing an agent to attend, as permitted by s. 50 of the POA. The Respondent argues that since the agent subsequently withdrew afterthe adjournment request was denied, the appellant effectively failed to appear.
In other words, the term “fail to appear at the time andplace appointed for trial” should be interpreted to include situations where the defendant appears but subsequently leaves or declines toparticipate. [15] In my view, the words of s. 9.1 of the POA must be strictly construed. The
section permits an inference of waiver, and it iswell established that any waiver of a Charter right must be clear and unequivocal: R. v. Richard, supra at para. 26. While it is open tothe legislature to deem that a waiver exists when certain conditions are met, those conditions must constitute clear evidence of anunequivocal waiver: R. v. Richard, supra at paras. 27, 32. When the
section is interpreted too broadly, there is a risk that it will apply insituations where there has been no unequivocal waiver. [16] The point is illustrated in the case at bar.
Section 9.1 provides that those who fail to appear at the time and place appointedfor trial are “deemed to not wish to dispute the charge”. Ordinarily, where a defendant is aware of the time and place the trial is to takeplace but does chooses not attend, it is reasonable to infer that he has no wish to dispute the charge. However, in this case it was clearthat the defendant did wish to dispute the charge. His adjournment application was for the purpose of obtaining disclosure that his agentstated was “crucial to his defence”.
Notwithstanding the appellant’s lack of diligence in obtaining that disclosure, it cannot be inferredthat he had no wish to dispute the charge. He clearly wanted to do so, which was why he sought an adjournment. It was clear that theappellant had not clearly and unequivocally waived his right to a trial. As the Court observed in R. v.
Richard, supra at para. 18, “[t]heconduct of the accused person ceases to amount to a waiver as soon as he or she begins to exercise his or her rights”. [17] The respondent points out that s. 54(1) of the POA, which allows for the trial of a defendant to proceed in absentia, alsoapplies only in situations where the defendant “does not appear at the time and place appointed for a hearing”. It is argued that if s. 9.1did not apply because the appellant appeared by agent, this
section also could not apply. As a result, once the agent withdrew the courtwould not have been able to proceed with the trial. The effect is that the defendant can unilaterally force the court to adjourn theproceedings, a result the legislature cannot have intended. [18] I agree that s. 54(1) did not apply in this case. However, there was no need to resort to s. 54(1). The defendant had appearedby agent, the prosecution was ready, and the trial should have proceeded. The fact that the appellant had instructed his agent to “walkaway” does not mean that the agent had any right to do so.
It is unclear on the record whether he in fact left the court room. If so, heshould not have been permitted to do so. In my view, a paralegal, like counsel, can only withdraw with the leave of the court: R. v.Cunningham, 2010 SCC 10 , [2010] 1 S.C.R. 331. [19] I recognize that the agent had no instructions and was likely not in a position to cross-examine witnesses or makesubmissions. It is very likely that had the trial proceeded, the outcome would have been the same.
However, the appellant had a right toa trial regardless of its likely outcome and he did not waive that right. [20] Nothing in these reasons should be seen as condoning the conduct of the appellant or his agent. The appellant demonstrated acomplete lack of diligence by failing to ensure that he had the necessary disclosure. He ought to have either appeared personally or elsesent a properly instructed agent. The agent who appeared had not been properly instructed and was initially unable to articulate thereason for which he was seeking an adjournment.
The application itself was entirely without merit and should not have been brought. For his part, the agent should not have agreed to act for the appellant without proper instructions. III. DISPOSITION [21] For the foregoing reasons, the appeal is allowed, the conviction is set aside and a new trial is ordered.
________________________ Justice P.A. Schreck Released: March 9, 2016