2019 NBCA 16, 2019 NBCA 16
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 127-17-CA JOSEPH R. GOYETCHE, YVON FOURNIER, ROLAND BOUCHEE, ROLAND MORRISON, ROGER MARTEL, ROGER YOUNG, BRYAN HARRIS, DAVID J. THIBODEAU, MALCOLM RUSSLE, DANIEL GALLAGHER, ROBERT CHAMBERLAIN, ROGER ROY, GARY CHRISTIE, NANCY THOMAS, KENNY IVEY, JOHN FITTERS and JOHN DUFFY APPELLANTS JOSEPH R. GOYETCHE, YVON FOURNIER, ROLAND BOUCHEE, ROLAND MORRISON, ROGER MARTEL, ROGER YOUNG, BRYAN HARRIS, DAVID J.
THIBODEAU, MALCOLM RUSSLE, DANIEL GALLAGHER, ROBERT CHAMBERLAIN, ROGER ROY, GARY CHRISTIE, NANCY THOMAS, KENNY IVEY, JOHN FITTERS et JOHN DUFFY APPELANTS - and - - et - INTERNATIONAL UNION OF OPERATING ENGINEERS (IUOE), COMMUNICATIONS, ENERGY AND PAPERWORKERS UNION OF CANADA (CEP), INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF MACHINISTS AND AEROSPACE WORKERS (IAMAW) RESPONDENTS INTERNATIONAL UNION OF OPERATING ENGINEERS (IUOE), SYNDICAT CANADIEN DES COMMUNICATIONS, DE L’ÉNERGIE ET DU PAPIER (SCEP), ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONALE DES MACHINISTES ET DES TRAVAILLEURS DE L’AÉROSPATIALE (AIMTA) INTIMÉS Goyetche et al. v.
International Union of Operating Engineers et al., 2019 NBCA 16 Goyetche et autres c. International Union of Operating Engineers et autres, 2019 NBCA 16 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 4, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 4 octobre 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 194 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBBR 194
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: October 10, 2018 and November 7, 2018 Appel entendu : le 10 octobre 2018 et le 7 novembre 2018 Judgment rendered: February 14, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 14 février 2019 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Drapeau Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Jamie MacGillivray For the respondents: Daniel Leger Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Jamie MacGillivray Pour les intimés : Daniel Leger THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs.
The pension- related grievance the appellants contend the respondent parent unions should have caused the Local Unions to file and prosecute would not have succeeded. That is so because the appellants were discharged and their employment ceased when the mill closed permanently on August 4, 2005; they were not placed on “layoff” with recall rights, as they allege. As such, and because they were not 55 at the material time, the appellants did not qualify for a full regular pension under the Collective Agreements and the company Pension Plan, as the sought-after grievance would have claimed.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens. Les griefs relatifs aux pensions que, selon ce qu’affirment les appelants, les syndicats-mères intimés auraient dû contraindre les sections locales de déposer et de poursuivre auraient été rejetés. Cela s’explique par le fait que les appelants ont été renvoyés et que leur emploi a pris fin avec la fermeture permanente de l’usine le 4 août 2005; ils n’ont pas fait l’objet de « mises à pied » assorties de droits de rappel comme ils l’allèguent.
De ce fait, et étant donné qu’ils n’avaient pas 55 ans à l’époque pertinente, les appelants n’étaient pas admissibles à une pleine pension régulière aux termes des conventions collectives et du régime de pension de la compagnie, comme ils l’auraient prétendu dans le grief en cause. The judgment of the Court was delivered by
DRAPEAU, J.A. I. Introduction and Overview [ 1 ] On August 4, 2005, Smurfit-Stone Container Canada Inc. closed its pulp mill in Bathurst, New Brunswick and, as a result, the appellants, all of whom were mill employees, lost their jobs. Smurfit-Stone informed the appellants and their Local Unions that the closure was permanent. Each employee subsequently received the benefits, including severance pay and pension benefits, that all interested parties believed they were entitled to receive under their respective Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan following a termination of employment.
In the reasons that follow, I refer to the several collective agreements en bloc as “Collective Agreements”. [ 2 ] Because they were not 55 years of age or older at the time of closure, the appellants, their Local Unions and Smurfit-Stone proceeded on the understanding that neither the Collective Agreements nor the Pension Plan gave rise to their entitlement to a full regular pension. The only pension benefits the appellants were entitled to receive were those provided under the Pension Plan’s
Section X, which applied to, among others, employees under 55 years of age with 10 years or more service, like the appellants. [ 3 ] Approximately three years after the mill’s closure, more precisely in August 2009, it was brought to the appellants’ attention that workers at other closed pulp mills were receiving full regular pension benefits on the basis that the closure, despite being permanent, occasioned a “layoff” with recall rights, and the time on layoff counted as pensionable service under the collective agreements and pension plans applicable to those workers.
If the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan featured similar provisions, each appellant would have reached the age of 55 before the expiry of his post-closure recall rights and, thus, have been entitled to full regular pension benefits. [ 4 ] On April 26, 2012, the appellants brought an action in damages against several parties they claimed were jointly and severally liable for their loss of full regular pension benefits, namely five Local Unions and their parent unions, Smurfit-Stone, the Province of Quebec qua employer of the Régie des rentes and the Province of New Brunswick as employer of the NB Superintendent of Pensions.
However, by the time the respondent parent unions applied for
summary judgment dismissing the action against them, the claims against the Local Unions and the other defendants had been abandoned. [ 5 ] In their last Amended Statement of Claim and, more recently, in their brief on the motion for
summary judgment and their submission on appeal, the appellants cast their claim in negligence, specifically the failure of the Local Unions and/or their parent unions to file and prosecute a grievance under the Collective Agreements for the purpose of establishing their entitlement to a regular pension on the basis of their years of service and the post-closure timeframe during which their recall rights continued. [ 6 ] In their Statement of Defence, the respondents asserted they were not legally responsible for the acts or omissions of the Local Unions and their representatives, and denied the allegations of negligence and liability against them, whether direct or vicarious.
They also pleaded the action was time-barred “as the events that form the basis of the action took place more than six years prior to the filing of the Statement of Claim”. It is common ground that this plea is well-founded unless the doctrine of discoverability operates to extend the six-year limitation period. [ 7 ] Shortly before the scheduled trial of the action, the respondents applied for
summary judgment, arguing the lawsuit had been commenced beyond the statutory limitation period and that, in any event, it was bereft of merit. In that last-mentioned regard, the respondents contended: (1) they did not, as parent unions and on the evidence, owe the appellants any duty of fair representation, whether directly or vicariously, that duty resting solely with the legally independent Local Unions as exclusive bargaining agents for the appellants; and (2) the grievance the appellants contend should have been filed and prosecuted would not have succeeded. The respondents also pressed for
summary judgment on the basis that the appellants had neither established by expert evidence the grievance in question would likely have succeeded nor proven their damages. [ 8 ] A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench rejected the appellants’ contention that all material facts were not discovered until August 2009, at which time, as noted, they learned it was at least arguable post-closure recall rights could bridge them to age 55, the qualifying age for a full regular pension.
The judge found all material facts were known to the appellants in August 2005 and, as a result, the doctrine of discoverability could not extend the applicable limitation period beyond August 2011. In his view, the action was time-barred and
summary judgment in the respondents’ favour was, therefore, appropriate. The judge added that, in any event, the appellants had not proven unfair representation by the respondents. This was so because they failed to lead expert evidence establishing the sought-after grievance would have succeeded and to quantify their damages.
[ 9 ] The appellants challenge the
summary judgment, contending the motion judge committed reversible error in finding the material facts were known or ought to have been known by them in August 2005. It is their related submission that a plaintiff’s knowledge that he or she has a legal claim at law against the defendant is a material fact for the purposes of the discoverability doctrine.
On that theory, the six-year limitation period only began to run in August 2009 when they discovered other apparently similarly-situated mill workers had secured full regular pension benefits by using the timeframe during which recall rights continued as a bridge to age 55. [ 10 ] In my view, the motion judge prescribed the correct disposition by granting
summary judgment. However, I choose to uphold his decision on the basis that the respondents established there is no genuine merits-based issue requiring a trial. That is so because the appellants did not have layoff-related recall rights under the Collective Agreements when the mill was permanently closed on August 4, 2005. On that date, their employment ended with no hope or expectation of recall and, as a result, they were only entitled to the pension benefits under
Section X of the Pension Plan. It follows that any grievance seeking to establish their entitlement to a full regular pension would have failed. II. Context [ 11 ] On August 4, 2005, Smurfit-Stone advised it had decided to “permanently” close its mill in Bathurst, New Brunswick, effective that day. In the notice to the Local Unions, Smurfit-Stone explained its decision to “permanently” close the mill was “necessary to address the market realities” it was facing, particularly “the declining demand for containerboard and the oversupply in the north-eastern portion of North America”.
Smurfit-Stone promised it would “work closely with Government authorities, local communities, employees and unions to help ease the impact of these closures”. In the affidavit of Graham Wiseman, who served as president of the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 894, it is stated he understood on August 4, 2005 the mill closure was permanent and that he would not be recalled. [ 12 ] On August 5, 2005, Local 894 filed a grievance challenging the permanent mill closure. This grievance was subsequently withdrawn.
Be that as it may, no grievance was ever filed for the purpose of establishing the appellants’ entitlement to a full regular pension once the timeframe during which their “recall rights” allegedly continued brought them to age 55. [ 13 ] On August 17, 2005, Smurfit-Stone sent a fax to the Local Unions on the subject of “Permanent Mill Closure”, advising “individuals who currently qualify under the Collective Agreement will be eligible for retirement provided they make their requests by September 15, 2005” and that it was prepared to pay severance pay in a lump sum “in accordance with the Collective Agreement”. [ 14 ] On August 31, 2005, Smurfit-Stone sent another fax to the Local Unions confirming severance pay would be calculated in accordance with the Collective Agreements and paid in one lump sum on September 22, 2005.
It also provided advice regarding the steps to be followed by “[t]hose wishing to transfer their severance pay to an RRSP”. The company also stated that, for pension eligibility purposes, it would “acknowledge those who have reached the age of 55 as of August 31, 2005”.
Thus, at the end of August 2005, the appellants were aware of the company’s position: employees, including themselves, who were not 55 years of age on August 31, 2005, would not qualify for a regular pension. [ 15 ] On October 4, 2005, the Local Unions met with management and proposed changing the qualifying conditions for a regular pension to a “factor of 80” formula.
Employees, like the appellants, who were not 55 years of age would qualify if their age and years of service totaled 80. [ 16 ] On October 6, 2005, Smurfit-Stone rejected the “factor of 80” proposal. [ 17 ] On October 28, 2005, the Local Unions learned there was a significant shortfall in the Pension Plan for 2004 and 2005.
Smurfit-Stone agreed to cover the shortfall for 2004, but denied it was legally required to do the same for 2005. [ 18 ] At a follow-up meeting, union members were advised the shortfall for 2005 would not affect anyone over the age of 55, but that pension benefits payable to those under 55 stood to be reduced by 12.1%.
[ 19 ] Smurfit-Stone agreed to cover the 2005 shortfall if all grievances, past, present and future, were negated, and if full and final releases of all claims were executed in its favour. [ 20 ] On November 24, 2005, the Local Unions met to discuss Smurfit-Stone’s settlement proposal. All Local Unions, except Mr. Wiseman’s Local 894, were in favour of the proposal. They ended up formalizing their acceptance on January 9, 2006. [ 21 ] As for Local Union 894, it continued to press for acceptance of the “factor of 80” formula. [ 22 ] On February 13, 2006, Mr.
Wiseman was notified of the wind-up of the company pension and that his pension benefits as an under-55 retiree would be reduced by 16.2%. [ 23 ] At a meeting of Local 894 on May 30, 2006, the members in attendance voted overwhelmingly in favour of accepting Smurfit-Stone’s settlement proposal. As a result, all under-55 retirees received 100% of their pension benefits under
Section X of the Pension Plan, or a corresponding buyout. [ 24 ] In December 2008, Mr. Wiseman was made aware of an arbitrator’s decision to allow a grievance confirming under-55 employees at the Dalhousie, New Brunswick pulp mill were entitled, admittedly under differently- worded collective agreements with another employer, to rely on recall rights to secure full regular pension benefits. In March 2011, he learned of this Court’s decision to let that arbitral decision stand (see Bowater Maritimes Inc. v.
Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union, Locals 117, 146, 164 and 263 and International Longshoremen’s Association, Local 1433 , 2011 NBCA 22 , 368 N.B.R. (2d) 348 ). At this time, the deadline for filing grievances under the Collective Agreements had expired and, in any event, comprehensive releases may have insulated Smurfit-Stone from arbitration proceedings. At any rate, Mr.
Wiseman, who had been involved in the negotiations leading to the Collective Agreements knew Local Union 894 had not “attempted to secure recall rights for the purpose of bridging an employee to age 55 for pension qualification”. [ 25 ] In August 2009, Daniel Patrick Gallagher, one of the appellants, learned employees who lost their jobs following the closure of a pulp mill in Terrace Bay, Ontario received full regular pension benefits, even though they were not 55 years of age at the time.
As those employees understood the situation, they were able to secure those benefits by using recall rights as a bridge to the qualifying age of 55. In his affidavit filed in opposition to the motion for
summary judgment, Mr. Gallagher states that “[a]t the time the Mill closed and until August, 2009” he had “no understanding or knowledge that it was possible to bridge to early retirement through recall rights”.
He also expresses the belief that no other plaintiff was aware of this possibility, although some “might have had a general sense that bridging could be somehow possible”. [ 26 ] On April 26, 2012, the appellants filed a Notice of Action with Statement of Claim attached against their Local Unions, the parent unions including the respondents or their predecessors, Smurfit-Stone, the Province of Quebec and the Province of New Brunswick seeking damages “for the loss of their entitled pension benefits”.
In the Statement of Claim, the appellants alleged, inter alia , that the unions colluded in making unspecified misrepresentations to them, “acted in negligence by failing to properly prepare, negotiate and/or facilitate a pension bridging” and failed to advise they “retained their employment status during the period of layoff until the recall rights expired” under the Collective Agreements.
The appellants also alleged all defendants coerced them into abandoning their right to grieve and arbitrate a claim for full regular pension benefits. [ 27 ] On July 23, 2012, the appellants filed an Amended Statement of Claim in which they alleged the unions acted in “bad faith” in the negotiations leading up to their “severance” and in “the production of information” regarding their rights and obligations, notably by not providing them sufficient time to review “appropriate and important documents”.
They also added the allegation that the unions “acted in a wanton and high-handed manner” and “failed, by their negligence, to apprise the members or apprise themselves, as the union negotiators, of the validity and ability of the recall rights” to allow them to qualify for a full regular pension “and in so doing further acted in bad faith”. [ 28 ] The appellants subsequently discontinued the action against all defendants except the respondent national and international unions. [ 29 ] On September 25, 2014, the appellants filed a second Amended Statement of Claim in which they asserted vicarious and/or direct liability by the respondents for the negligent failure to: (1) consider terms of the Collective Agreements pertaining to layoff-related recall rights in “negotiating [their] entitlements to pensions with the Company”; (2) advise they could claim, on the basis of those terms, “that even though the Mill had closed, [they] retained their employment status for up to three years following the closure of the Mill”; (3) “assign reasonably qualified and experienced people to perform the negotiation process where [the respondent parent unions] had a duty to represent [them as] members of their unions in a reasonably adequate manner”; and
(4) file and prosecute to arbitration a grievance to enforce those terms of the Collective Agreements. The appellants also particularizedtheir damages as the difference between the buyout they received and the actuarial value of the “the full pension they should havereceived”. It can be reasonably inferred from this claim, the record and the appellants’ representations at the hearing on appeal that thebuyout in question pertained to the appellants’
Section X pension benefits. [30] That said, and importantly, in both the court below and in this court, the appellants’ case againstsummary judgment was argued on the basis that the failure to file and prosecute the grievance described hereinabove constituted abreach of the duty of fair representation owed to them. [31] Shortly before trial, the respondents applied for
summary judgment dismissing the action. Atthe hearing in the Court of Queen’s Bench, the respondents submitted the action was commenced beyond the applicable statutory six-year limitation period and was, therefore, barred.
The respondents also argued the motion should be granted because the sought-aftergrievance would not have succeeded and the appellants had failed to: (1) adduce expert evidence to establish the sought-after grievancewould have succeeded; and (2) prove their damages. [32] The appellants opposed the motion, contending their action was not time-barred since it wascommenced within six years of their discovery of the material facts underlying the asserted cause of action.
In their submission, a keyfact remained unknown and undiscoverable until August 2009: post-closure recall rights could be relied upon to bridge under-55 workersto age 55 and full regular pension benefits. The appellants pointed to the Bowater case in submitting a grievance on point would havebeen successful. [33] The motion judge found all material facts were known to the appellants in August 2005. As aresult, the action, which was commenced on April 22, 2012, had been time-barred since the end of August 2011.
After dismissing theaction on that basis, the judge added the following merits-based observations: While not necessary to be dealt with given my decision on limitation of actions, I believe there would have to be clear expert testimonyon the existence of possible grievance and the possible result. In addition, the Plaintiffs had to prove their damages. Such evidence wasnot put forward in this matter. Consequently, the Plaintiffs have not established unfair representation by the unions. [para. 41] III.
Analysis and Decision [34] The decision under appeal was rendered pursuant to our new Rule 22 (“Summary Judgment”).The changes brought about by the new Rule 22 are outlined in O’Toole v. Peterson, 2018 NBCA 8, [2018] N.B.J. No. 58 (QL), and neednot be repeated here. Suffice it to point out that the stringent test set by the former Rule 22 no longer applies. The disposition of motionsunder the new Rule 22 stands to be made on application of the balance of probabilities standard.
The Court simply determines whether ithas been established on a balance of probabilities that there is no genuine issue requiring a trial. [35] The standard of review applicable to a determination under Rule 22 is the standard applicable toappeals following a traditional trial. Propositions of law are reviewed on the correctness standard. Findings of fact or mixed fact and laware tested on the palpable and overriding standard. Discretionary decisions are reviewed on the Beaverbrook standard (see TheBeaverbrook Canadian Foundation v. The Beaverbrook Art Gallery, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161, at para. 4).
Absent a materialerror of fact, mixed fact and law or law, reversal is permissible only where the outcome is unreasonable. A. The limitation defence [36] Under s. 9 of the Limitation of Actions Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. L-8, since repealed, no action intort could be commenced “but within six years after the cause of action arose”. In Central Trust Co. v. Rafuse, (SCC),[1986] 2 S.C.R. 147, [1986] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL), at p. 224, the Court found a cause of action arose under the corresponding Nova Scotiaprovision “when the material facts on which it is based have been discovered or ought to have been discovered by the plaintiff by theexercise of reasonable diligence”.
Section 9, which was repealed following the proclamation on May 1, 2010 of the Limitation of ActionsAct, S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5, continues to be relevant nonetheless.
[37] The Limitation of Actions Act of 2009 creates a new two-year limitation period, which applies toany claim that predates its proclamation. That new limitation period was expired when the appellants brought their claim.
However, s.27(3), a transitional provision, provides that during the first 2 years after May 1, 2010, “a claim may be brought after the new limitationperiod has expired if the former limitation period has not expired” (emphasis added). [38] The appellants’ claim was brought on April 26, 2012, before the expiry of the former six-yearlimitation period (prescribed by s. 9 of the Limitation of Actions Act of 1973) if, and only if, as alleged by the appellants, thediscoverability doctrine adopted in Central Trust v. Rafuse caused it to begin tolling in August 2009 (see Blanchard et al. v.
CaissePopulaire de Shippagan Ltee et al., 2013 NBQB 180, 405 N.B.R. (2d) 336, at para. 46, per DeWare J.). [39] The motion judge found the material facts were known to the appellants in August 2005. As Iread the record, the appellants had ready access to the terms of the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan, specifically thosepertaining to the issues of layoff, recall rights and pension entitlement.
As well, they evidently knew: (1) the mill’s closure waspermanent; (2) the employer’s position, which was that full regular pension benefits were payable only to employees who were 55 yearsof age on August 31, 2005; and (3) the Local Unions would not be challenging that position by filing and prosecuting a grievance.
Itwould appear the only unknown element was that those facts arguably gave rise to a cause of action for breach by the respondent parentunions of their duty of fair representation. [40] In the “Appellant’s Factum”, it is acknowledged the appellants knew “they were losing theirjobs and pensions in August of 2005, when they were informed that the mill was closing down”, but that “they did not know that theirloss of pension benefits was a result of their unions’ negligence until August of 2009”.
This acknowledgement is problematic because itis broadly accepted that, if the material facts are known, ignorance of the applicable law does not postpone any limitation period on thebasis of the discoverability doctrine: Graeme Mew, Debra Rolph and Daniel Zacks, The Law of Limitations, 3rd ed. (Toronto,LexisNexis, 2016), at p. 83, para. 3.52. In Nicholas v. Tétrault, (ON SC), [2008] O.J. No. 4258 (QL), affirmed 2009ONCA 692, [2009] O.J. No. 4061 (QL), leave to appeal dismissed [2009] S.C.C.A.
No. 476 (QL), Justice Perell noted ignorance “of thelegal consequences of the facts does not postpone the running of the limitation period” (para. 27). [41] Yet, the discoverability doctrine is designed to counter “the fundamental unfairness of requiringa plaintiff to bring a cause of action before he could reasonably have discovered that he had a cause of action”: Peixeiro v. Haberman, (SCC), [1997] 3 S.C.R. 549, [1997] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL), at para. 39, per Major J. Moreover, some courts have adopteda more plaintiff-friendly approach than the one favoured in Nicholas v.
Tétrault (see Tim’s Meat, Deli & Grocery Inc. v. Dubinsky, 2010ONSC 3829, [2010] O.J. No. 2859 (QL), at para. 32). [42] Here, the appellants knew the primary facts in August 2005, but were ignorant of the legalargument that might be made regarding the effect of those facts on their entitlement to full regular pension benefits.
In other words, theappellants were cognizant of the foundational facts, but did not appreciate they might give rise to a cause of action. [43] In their submission on appeal, the appellants argue that, in rejecting the discoverability doctrine,the motion judge failed to take into consideration the “special” relationship between the parties.
Having regard to that “special”union/member relationship, the appellants contend they were entitled to rely, as they did, on the respondents’ experience and expertise indealing with pension entitlement issues under collective agreements and pension plans, like the ones in play here. Correlatively, theappellants make the point that they relied and were entitled to rely on the respondents to “discover” their true pension entitlement, and tofile or instruct the Local Unions to file an appropriate grievance on their behalf.
In essence, the submission on appeal is that therespondents are estopped from opposing the application of the discoverability doctrine where the appellants were unaware of theirpotential pension entitlement before August 2009 precisely because the respondents failed to inform them of their pension rights and thearbitrability of the employer’s failure to provide them with full regular pension benefits.
Stripped to its core, the submission is that itwould be unconscionable to allow the respondents to successfully oppose the discoverability doctrine (see The Law of Limitations, at pp.231-236). [44] One of the problems with the appellants’ submission on the application of the discoverabilitydoctrine is that the material facts justifying its application are not pleaded. When that happens, the material facts can become movingtargets, as is the case here, and both defendants and the court are often left to wonder what they are.
That is why, absent a satisfactorypleading of the underlying facts, a plaintiff is generally “precluded from relying on an argument based on discoverability in response to amotion for
summary judgment brought on the basis of the expiration of the applicable limitation period”: Oakley v. Guirguis, 2014ONSC 5007 , [2014] O.J. No. 3970 (QL), at para. 13-14. In Perego v. New Brunswick, 2016 NBQB 152, Justice Clendeningheld the plaintiff bears the burden of setting out in a Reply the material facts in support of the contention that the action is not statute-barred by reason of the discoverability doctrine. I agree.
[ 45 ] That said, the respondents have not argued the appellants’ failure to plead the underlying material facts precludes them from relying on the discoverability doctrine, and the debate in first instance dealt fully with its application on the merits.
However, and significantly, that debate did not include the argument, first made in this Court, that the respondents are estopped from opposing the application of the discoverability doctrine on the basis of their “special” relationship with the appellants. [ 46 ] All things considered, I conclude it is preferable to dispose of the appeal on the merits, and leave to another day the resolution of the debate over what constitute material facts in malpractice cases. For the reasons that follow, I find the sought-after grievance would not have succeeded. B.
Summary judgment based on the absence of a genuine merits-based issue requiring a trial [ 47 ] In applying the test under Rule 22 to a case like the present one, the court must determine what the correct outcome of the sought-after grievance would have been, having regard to the pertinent terms of the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan, and adjudicate on that basis.
As the appellants point out in their Supplementary Submission, “in determining the correct outcome of the sought-after grievance, the Court is free to draw its own factual and legal conclusions [having regard to] the evidence before it”. [ 48 ] I begin the discussion on this topic by respectfully rejecting the motion judge’s view, admittedly in obiter dicta , that expert evidence was required on the issue of liability. Specifically, expert evidence was not required to properly interpret the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan. That function falls within the judiciary’s mandate.
Moreover, I disagree with the proposition that the appellants were required to prove their damages in order to successfully resist the motion for
summary judgment. The evidence conclusively established there was a difference between the regular pension benefits and those under
Section X, and that sufficed for
summary judgment purposes in this case. [ 49 ] As noted, in both the court below and on appeal, the appellants’ objection on the merits to the motion for
summary judgment is based on the respondents’ negligence in failing to ensure the prosecution of a grievance against Smurfit-Stone’s decision to exclude them from the pool of retirees with full regular pension benefits. According to the appellants, the respondents’ negligence amounted to a breach of their duty of fair representation and, since the sought-after grievance would probably have succeeded at arbitration, the motion for
summary judgment should have been dismissed. As indicated, I respectfully disagree. [ 50 ] The respondents submit there is no evidence of direct liability on their part. In that regard, they posit, correctly in my view, that the common law duty of fair representation is a corollary to the conferral of the right to exclusive representation of the members. They point out the Industrial Relations Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-4 , vests that right in the certified bargaining agents and, in the case at hand, the certified bargaining agents were the Local Unions.
The respondents also claim they did not sign and were not otherwise bound by the Collective Agreements. Finally, they submit there is no evidence susceptible of grounding a claim based on vicarious liability (see the discussion on point in Fullowka v. Pinkerton’s of Canada Ltd. , 2010 SCC 5 , [2010] 1 S.C.R. 132 ). [ 51 ] On appeal, the appellants did not press for acceptance of the view that the respondent parent unions could be held vicariously liable for the Local Unions’ negligent failure to file and prosecute the sought-after grievance.
As I understand their argument, it is that the respondents owed them a direct duty of fair representation, which obligated them to direct the Local Unions to pursue the grievance. That duty of fair representation arose, so goes the argument, from the respondents’ respective Constitutions. [ 52 ] I readily accept that the Local Unions owed the appellants a duty of fair representation. That duty arose from the Industrial Relations Act and the Collective Agreements.
However, neither of those sources would seem to provide a basis for imposing on the respondent parent unions a representational duty on the facts of this case. Admittedly, there are instances where the parent union’s involvement in the bargaining process and the representation of the members is such that it gives rise to a duty of fair representation. That was the case in Burns et al. v. National Automobile, Aerospace, Transportation and General Workers Union of Canada (CAW-Canada, Local 219 et al.), 2012 NBCA 13 , 383 N.B.R. (2d) 245 , per Green J.A. for the Court.
It is not the case here. [ 53 ] There remains the issue of whether the duty of representation upon which the appellants’ claim rests can be traced to the respondents’ respective Constitutions. In this regard, I find the respondents have failed to put their best foot forward, as required under Rule 22 and O’Toole v. Peterson . While the appellants provided a detailed inventory of Constitution provisions that might arguably give rise to a duty of fair representation, the respondents failed to respond with references to countervailing terms of the Constitutions or to jurisprudence on point.
That being so, the existence of a representational duty would be a
genuine issue requiring a trial but for my conclusion that the grievance the appellants contend should have been pursued by the LocalUnions would have failed. [54] The appellants’ case for a regular pension is umbilically tied to the contention that they wereplaced on layoff with recall rights in connection with the mill’s permanent closure on August 4, 2005.
With respect, what occurred onAugust 4, 2005 was not a layoff with recall rights within the meaning of the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan, but a dischargeand permanent cessation of employment. [55] Under s. 1 of the Employment Standards Act, S.N.B. 1982, c. E- 7.2, “layoff” is defined as “atemporary interruption of the employment relationship at the direction of the employer because of a lack of work” (emphasis added). [56] In Canada Safeway Ltd. v. RWDSU, (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 1079, [1998]S.C.J.
No. 47 (QL), Cory and McLachlin JJ. (as she then was) define a “layoff” in the following terms: A “layoff” […] does not terminate the employer-employee relationship. Rather, it temporarily discharges the employee. The hope orexpectation of future work remains. But for the time being, there is no work for the employee. Such an employee, it is said, is laid off.[para. 71] Curiously, the Collective Agreements actually provide that a “layoff”, despite its temporary nature, terminates the employee’semployment; the laid-off and terminated employee stands to be re-hired or re-employed upon returning to the workplace.
As will morefully appear, we need not determine the effect of those provisions on pension entitlement since no layoff occurred here. [57] In Nelson Forest Products Inc. v. IWA-Canada, Local 306 (2000), (NBCA), 225 N.B.R. (2d) 141, [2000] N.B.J. No. 104 (QL), the meaning of a “layoff” was at the center of the litigation. That case involveda plywood plant in Nelson. The plant had closed completely following the bankruptcy of its owners. Four years later, it reopened undernew ownership.
The new owners, being keen to rehire as much of the labour force as possible, agreed to recognize seniority as of thedate of employment at the mill, regardless of ownership. The question brought before an arbitrator was whether the four years of plantclosure were included in vacation accrual. The arbitrator found they were. His decision was overturned in the Court of Queen’s Bench. [58] On appeal, the Court of Queen’s Bench decision was set aside.
In separate concurring opinions,Justices Rice and Ryan found the arbitrator’s decision was not patently unreasonable, given the evidence before him regarding theagreements between the union and the new employer regarding seniority. Chief Justice Daigle dissented, finding the arbitral decisiongave an
interpretation to the collective agreement that its wording could not reasonably bear. In the course of his analysis, DaigleC.J.N.B. considers the expression “continuous service” found in the collective agreement, and the meaning ascribed to it in thejurisprudence. In summarizing the law on point, he makes the following observations: First, it is an uncontroverted fact in this case that the Burchill mill closed down, Burchill went into bankruptcy and the employment of itsemployees was terminated. There was a complete severance of the employment relationship.
As a matter of law, a layoff cannot be foundto exist where there is no employer-employee relationship; in other words, terminated employees cannot be said to be laid off. […] It follows from the above definition that for there to be a layoff, the interruption of the employer-employee relationship must be oneshort of termination. Given the complete severance of the employment relationship during the four year hiatus, the arbitrator’sconclusion that such a period during which the employees were terminated was transformed into an extended layoff cannot be rationallyborne by the facts of this case.
The addition of the modifier “extended” to the term layoff neither modifies the basic elements necessaryto constitute layoff, in particular, an interruption of work short of termination, nor does it convert the termination of the employees byBurchill into a layoff of those employees by Nelson Forest Products.” [paras. 72 and 74] [Emphasis added.] The justices in the majority did not take issue with and indeed appear to agree with these observations.
They reached a different result onthe merits because, in their view, the arbitral award was reasonable in light of the agreement, outside the scope of the collectiveagreement, between the union and the employer. I share the views expressed by Daigle, C.J.N.B. regarding the difference between alayoff, as it is commonly understood, and a termination of employment.
[ 59 ] I have carefully reviewed the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan and find their references to “layoff” are directed solely at temporary interruptions of the contract of employment. During a temporary interruption of the employment contract, recall rights are in play. Employees on “layoff” are “entitled to be recalled as opportunity exists ” (emphasis added).
That phrase appears in all of the Collective Agreements (see, by way of illustration, Clause 14.05 of the Collective Agreement between Smurfit-Stone and the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 894 and Clause 15.06 of the Collective Agreement with the Communications Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, Local 120). [ 60 ] However, recall rights simply do not exist in the case of a discharge arising from a permanent closure with no real, as opposed to fanciful, hope or expectation of a return to work.
In those circumstances, “opportunity” for work does not exist. [ 61 ] All stakeholders understood the mill closed permanently on August 4, 2005. None of the parties perceived the closure as entailing a temporary interruption of the employment relationship or a “layoff” with recall rights. Everyone understood the situation for what it was: a permanent closure of the mill with an attendant permanent termination of the employment relationship. As noted in Mr. Wiseman’s affidavit, he did not expect to be recalled to work, and none of the appellants who filed affidavits in opposition to the motion for
summary judgment claim they entertained any hope or expectation of a return to work after August 4, 2005. [ 62 ] Moreover, and as one would expect, the Collective Agreements do not provide for recall rights in the event of a permanent mill closure with no real hope or expectation of future work.
That state of affairs distinguishes the present case from the rather exceptional situation under consideration in Bowater . [ 63 ] In Bowater , the employer conceded “that employees, following closure of the mill, [were] entitled under the terms of the Collective Agreement to remain on layoff for a maximum period of thirty-six months”: Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada v. Bowater Maritimes Inc. (Pension Benefits Grievance), [2008] N.B.L.A.A. No. 28 (QL) , at para. 22.
That concession undoubtedly played a role in the adjudicator’s ultimate conclusion that: (1) the employees were on layoff following the mill’s closure; (2) as such, they remained “Members of the Retirement Plan until their recall rights expire pursuant to the applicable Collective Agreement”; and (3) as Members, “they are entitled to gain the benefit of age and Continuous Service for pension plan purposes while on layoff” (para. 70).
The adjudicator found as a fact that, at the time of closure, the re-opening of the mill or its sale remained a possibility, albeit remote. [ 64 ] In reviewing the adjudicator’s decision, this Court did not find it was correct (see Bowater , at para. 30). The Court let the decision stand simply because the case for its unreasonableness had not been made. That point is underscored by Robertson J.A., writing for the Court: This takes us to the second aspect or component of the reasonableness standard: whether the impugned decision falls within a range of possible and acceptable outcomes which are defensible.
Here is where the employer's appeal falls into ruin. There is no attempt to offer a penetrating and concise explanation of why the arbitrator's ruling does not fall within the acceptable range. Instead, the employer totally ignores the symbiotic relationship of the collective agreements and the pension plans and focuses exclusively on the provisions of the pension plan, arguing that once Bowater declared the Mill to be permanently closed as of January 31, 2008, that is the end of the matter: the employees are no longer members of the pension plan.
The failure of the employer to recognize the contextual approach to both contract and statutory
interpretation is fatal (see Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada v. Irving Pulp & Paper Ltd., 2002 NBCA 30 , 249 N.B.R. (2d) 28 , at para. 10 , as applied by the arbitrator). For this reason alone the appeal should fail . I should also point out that the Supreme Court has suggested that the analysis required of a review court when applying the reasonableness standard is less rigorous or detailed than the analysis usually undertaken when the review standard of correctness is applied: Nolan v.
Kerry (Canada) Inc. , 2009 SCC 39 , [2009] 2 S.C.R. 678 , at para. 36 . [para. 26] [Emphasis added.] [ 65 ] Contrary to the appellants’ submission, the Court in Bowater did not find that where a business is being closed permanently but might arguably re-open or be sold because “anything is possible”, recall rights continue post-closure, irrespective of the evidence and the terms of the applicable collective agreement. In my assessment, the Court simply noted the adjudicator had provided an intelligent basis for his underlying findings in that they accorded with “the expectations of all parties” (para. 30).
In this regard, recall, once again, the affidavit of Mr. Wiseman where he asserts Local 894 never attempted to secure “recall rights for the purpose of bridging an employee to age 55 for pension qualification” and that, on August 4, 2005, he had no expectation of being recalled. [ 66 ] On August 4, 2005, the appellants were effectively discharged by their employer and, as a result, their “service was terminated” and their “employment ceased” within the meaning of the Collective Agreements and the Pension Plan.
The Collective Agreements provide an employee’s service is terminated if he or she quits, is discharged (without words of
qualification), unjustifiably fails to return to work on time from an approved leave of absence or fails to report from layoff on time. Thus, the discharge of an employee constitutes a discrete basis for termination of service. As is well known, a discharge may be non- disciplinary unless, of course, the wording of the collective agreement at issue or applicable legislation dictates otherwise. [ 67 ] In Bowater , the collective agreement was interpreted by the adjudicator as dictating otherwise. Sub-article 5.02(
c) identified four events as giving rise to a termination of service, including where “the employee is discharged and is not reinstated ” (emphasis added). In the adjudicator’s view, the underlined words demonstrated only a disciplinary discharge could occasion a termination of service. [ 68 ] The phrase “and is not reinstated” does not form part of the Collective Agreements.
Nor do those words appear in the Pension Plan provision pertaining to Termination of Employment. “Discharge by the Company”, without any words of limitation, is identified as a discrete event occasioning a termination of employment, as a result of which “a Member ceases to be an Employee” (see Clause 1.33 of the Pension Plan).
Clause 10.01 provides that “[i]f a Member ceases to be an Employee otherwise than by disablement, retirement or death, he shall cease to make contributions to the Plan and he shall become a Vested Terminated Person”, and, as such, he “shall be entitled to benefits in accordance with the provisions of the present Section”. [ 69 ] As a consequence of their discharge, the appellants’ “service” and employment terminated. Each of the appellants “ceased to be an Employee of the Company” and became a “Vested Terminated Person” entitled to a deferred pension in accordance with
Section X (see Clauses 1.34 and 10.01 of the Pension Plan). More to the central point of the debate, the appellants were not entitled to a full regular pension and the sought-after grievance would have failed. V. Conclusion and Disposition [ 70 ] For the reasons set out hereinabove, I conclude the grievance the appellants contend the respondents should have caused the Local Unions to file and prosecute to arbitration would not have succeeded. It follows the
summary judgment dismissing the action must stand. [ 71 ] Accordingly, I would dismiss the appeal. Accessorily, I would order each of the 17 appellants pay one set of costs on appeal to the respondents collectively, which I would set at the admittedly modest amount of $100.00. . Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE DRAPEAU I. Introduction et aperçu [1] Le 4 août 2005, Emballages Smurfit-Stone Canada Inc. a fermé son usine de pâte à papier de Bathurst, au Nouveau-Brunswick, et les appelants, qui étaient tous des employés de l’usine, ont alors perdu leur emploi.
Smurfit-Stone a informé les appelants et les sections locales de leurs syndicats que la fermeture était permanente. Les employés ont tous reçu par la suite les prestations, notamment les indemnités de départ et les prestations de retraite, auxquelles toutes les parties intéressées croyaient qu’ils avaient droit aux termes de leur convention collective respective et de leur régime de pension par suite d’une cessation de leur emploi.
Dans les motifs qui suivent, je me réfère en bloc aux différentes conventions collectives au moyen de l’expression « Conventions collectives ». [2] Étant donné qu’ils n’avaient pas 55 ans révolus à la date de la fermeture, les appelants, les
sections locales de leurs syndicats et Smurfit-Stone sont partis du principe que ni les Conventions collectives, ni le régime de pension ne les rendaient admissibles à une pleine pension régulière.
Les seules prestations de retraite que les appelants étaient en droit de recevoir étaient celles que prévoyait l’article X du régime de pension qui s’appliquait entre autres aux employés de moins de 55 ans comptant au moins 10 années de service, ce qui était le cas des appelants. [3] Environ trois ans après la fermeture de l’usine, plus précisément en août 2009, les appelants ont appris que des employés qui avaient travaillé dans d’autres usines de pâte à papier qui avaient fermé leurs portes touchaient une pleine pension régulière en partant du principe que même si la fermeture de ces usines était permanente, elle avait occasionné des « mises à pied » assorties de droits de rappel et que la période de mise à pied pouvait être comptabilisée comme un service ouvrant droit à pension en vertu des conventions collectives et du régime de pension applicables à ces employés.
Si les Conventions collectives et le régime de pension en cause renfermaient des clauses analogues, chaque appelant aurait atteint l’âge de 55 ans avant l’expiration de ses droits de rappel postérieurs à la fermeture et aurait donc été en droit de toucher sa pleine pension régulière. [4] Le 26 avril 2012, les appelants ont intenté une action en dommages- intérêts à différentes parties qui, selon leurs dires, étaient solidairement responsables de la perte de leur pleine pension régulière, à savoir les cinq sections locales et leurs syndicats-mères, Smurfit-Stone, la Province de Québec en sa qualité d’employeur de la Régie des rentes et la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick à
titre d’employeur du surintendant des pensions du Nouveau-Brunswick. Cependant, lorsque les syndicats-mères intimés ont demandé à la Cour de rendre un jugement
sommaire rejetant la poursuite dont ils faisaient l’objet, les demandes formées contre les sections locales et les autres parties défenderesses avaient été abandonnées. [5] Dans leur dernier exposé de la demande modifié et, plus récemment, dans le mémoire qu’ils ont présenté dans le cadre de la motion en jugement
sommaire et dans leur plaidoirie en appel, les appelants invoquent la négligence, plus précisément l’omission des sections locales et/ou de leurs syndicats-mères de déposer et de poursuivre des griefs sous le régime des Conventions collectives dans le but d’établir leur droit à une pension régulière sur le fondement de leurs années de service et de la période postérieure à la fermeture pendant laquelle leurs droits de rappel avaient continué de s’appliquer. [6] Dans leur exposé de la défense, les intimés affirment qu’ils n’étaient pas légalement responsables des actes ou omissions des sections locales et de leurs représentants et rejettent les allégations de négligence et de responsabilité, directe ou du fait d’autrui, dont ils faisaient l’objet.
Ils font également valoir que l’action était prescrite « étant donné que les événements constituant le fondement de l’action avaient eu lieu plus de six ans avant le dépôt de l’exposé de la demande ». Il est généralement reconnu que ce plaidoyer est bien fondé à moins que le principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage ne vienne étendre la période de prescription de six ans. [7] Peu avant la date fixée pour l’instruction de l’action, les intimés ont présenté une demande de jugement
sommaire en faisant valoir que la poursuite avait été introduite après l’expiration du délai de prescription et que, de toute façon, elle était sans fondement.
Sur ce dernier point, les intimés ont soutenu (1) qu’en leur qualité de syndicats-mères et sur la base de la preuve en cause, ils n’avaient aucun devoir de juste représentation envers les appelants, que ce soit directement ou du fait d’autrui, et que ce devoir incombait uniquement aux sections locales légalement indépendantes, en leurs qualités d’agents négociateurs exclusifs des appelants et (2) que les griefs qui, selon les dires des appelants, auraient dû être déposés et poursuivis auraient été rejetés . Les intimés ont également demandé instamment à la Cour de rendre un jugement
sommaire en faisant valoir que les appelants n’avaient pas non plus établi, au moyen d’une preuve d’expert, que les griefs en cause auraient probablement été accueillis ni l’étendue des dommages qu’ils avaient subis. [8] Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rejeté les allégations des appelants selon lesquelles tous les faits essentiels n’avaient été découverts qu’au mois d’août 2009, date à laquelle, comme je l’ai indiqué, ils avaient appris qu’il était au moins possible de prétendre que la comptabilisation des droits de rappel postérieurs à la fermeture pourrait les amener à l’âge de 55 ans, âge qui les rendait admissibles à une pleine pension régulière.
Le juge a conclu que tous les faits essentiels étaient connus des appelants en août 2005 et que, de ce fait, le principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage ne permettait pas d’étendre le délai de prescription applicable au-delà du mois d’août 2011. À son avis, l’action était prescrite et il était donc approprié de rendre un jugement
sommaire en faveur des intimés. Le juge a ajouté que, de toute façon, les appelants n’avaient pas prouvé un manquement au devoir de juste représentation de la part des intimés. Cela était dû au fait qu’ils avaient omis de présenter une preuve d’expert établissant que le grief en question aurait été accueilli et de quantifier les dommages qu’ils avaient subis. [9] Les appelants contestent ce jugement
sommaire en faisant valoir que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision en concluant qu’ils connaissaient ou auraient dû connaître les faits essentiels en août 2005. Ils font observer de façon connexe que le fait qu’un demandeur sache qu’il est légalement en droit d’introduire une demande contre un défendeur constitue un fait essentiel pour l’application du principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage.
Selon cette thèse, le délai de prescription de six ans n’a commencé à courir qu’en août 2009, lorsqu’ils ont découvert que d’autres travailleurs d’usine qui se trouvaient dans une situation apparemment semblable avaient obtenu une pleine pension régulière en comptabilisant la période pendant laquelle ils bénéficiaient de droits de rappel pour atteindre l’âge de 55 ans.
[10] Selon moi, le juge saisi de la motion a rendu la bonne décision en accordant le jugement
sommaire sollicité. Toutefois, j’ai choisi de confirmer sa décision parce que les intimés ont établi qu’il n’existe aucune véritable question litigieuse sur le fond nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. Cela s’explique par le fait que les Conventions collectives ne conféraient aux appelants aucun droit de rappel par suite d’une mise à pied lorsque l’usine a définitivement fermé ses portes le 4 août 2005. À cette date, leur emploi a pris fin sans aucun espoir ni aucune attente de rappel et, de ce fait, ils n’avaient droit qu’aux prestations de retraite prévues à l’article X de leur régime de pension.
Il s’ensuit que tout grief visant à établir leur droit à une pleine pension régulière était voué à l’échec. II. Contexte [11] Le 4 août 2005, Smurfit-Stone a annoncé qu’elle avait décidé de fermer sur-le-champ et « en permanence » son usine de Bathurst, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Dans son avis aux sections locales, Smurfit-Stone expliquait que sa décision de fermer son usine « en permanence » était « rendue nécessaire par les réalités du marché », notamment « le fléchissement de la demande de carton-caisse et l’offre excédentaire dans le nord-est de l’Amérique du Nord ».
Smurfit-Stone promettait de « travailler en étroite collaboration avec les autorités gouvernementales, les collectivités locales, les employés et les syndicats pour réduire les contrecoups de ces fermetures ». Dans l’affidavit souscrit par Graham Wiseman, qui occupait le poste de président de la
section locale 894 de l’International Union of Operating Engineers, il est indiqué qu’il avait compris le 4 août 2005 que la fermeture de l’usine était permanente et qu’il ne serait pas rappelé au travail. [12] Le 5 août 2005, la
section locale 894 a déposé un grief dans lequel elle contestait la fermeture permanente de l’usine. Ce grief a été retiré par la suite.
Quoi qu’il en soit, aucun grief n’a jamais été déposé dans le but d’établir que les appelants avaient droit à leur pleine pension régulière une fois que la période pendant laquelle leurs « droits de rappel » étaient censés continuer les amènerait à l’âge de 55 ans. [13] Le 17 août 2005, Smurfit-Stone a envoyé aux sections locales une télécopie ayant pour objet « la fermeture permanente de l’usine » dans laquelle elle précisait que « les personnes qui réunissent actuellement les conditions requises par les conventions collectives seront admissibles à la retraite à condition de présenter leur demande d’ici le 15 septembre 2005 » et qu’elle était disposée à verser les indemnités de départ sous forme de montant forfaitaire « conformément à la convention collective ». [14] Le 31 août 2005, Smurfit-Stone a envoyé aux sections locales une autre télécopie dans laquelle elle confirmait que les indemnités de départ seraient calculées conformément aux Conventions collectives et versées sous la forme d’un montant forfaitaire le 22 septembre 2005.
Cette télécopie donnait aussi des indications au sujet des étapes à suivre par « [c]elles et ceux qui souhaitent transférer leur indemnité de départ dans un REER ». La compagnie précisait également que, pour les fins de l’admissibilité à la retraite, elle « reconnaîtrait celles et ceux qui ont atteint l’âge de 55 ans à la date du 31 août 2005 ».
Par conséquent, à la fin du mois d’août 2005, les appelants connaissaient la position de la compagnie : les employés, eux compris, qui n’avaient pas 55 ans le 31 août 2005 ne seraient pas admissibles à une pension régulière. [15] Le 4 octobre 2005, les sections locales ont eu une rencontre avec la direction et ont proposé de modifier les conditions d’admissibilité à une pension régulière en adoptant « l’indice 80 ».
Les employés qui, comme les appelants, n’avaient pas 55 ans révolus seraient admissibles à condition que la somme de leur âge et de leurs années de service soit égale à 80. [16] Le 6 octobre 2005, Smurfit-Stone a rejeté la proposition d’adopter « l’indice 80 ». [17] Le 28 octobre 2005, les sections locales ont appris que le régime de pension accusait un déficit considérable pour les années 2004 et 2005.
Smurfit-Stone a accepté de combler le déficit de l’année 2004, mais a nié qu’elle était légalement tenue de faire la même chose pour l’année 2005. [18] Lors d’une rencontre de suivi, les membres des syndicats ont été informés que le déficit de 2005 n’aurait aucune incidence pour celles et ceux qui avaient 55 ans révolus mais que les prestations de retraite payables aux employés âgés de moins de 55 ans risquaient d’être réduites de 12,1 %. [19] Smurfit-Stone a alors convenu de combler le déficit de l’année 2005 à condition de ne faire l’objet d’aucun grief passé, présent et futur et d’obtenir par écrit une renonciation entière et définitive à toutes les réclamations.
[20] Le 24 novembre 2005, les sections locales se sont rencontrées pour discuter de l’offre de règlement de Smurfit-Stone. Toutes les sections locales, exception faite de la
section locale 894 présidée par M. Wiseman, étaient en faveur de l’offre. Elles ont fini par formaliser leur acceptation le 9 janvier 2006. [21] La
section locale 894, quant à elle, a continué d’insister sur l’acceptation de « l’indice 80 ». [22] Le 13 février 2006, M. Wiseman a été avisé de la liquidation du régime de pension de la compagnie et du fait que les prestations auxquelles il aurait droit en sa qualité de retraité de moins de 55 ans seraient réduites de 16,2 %. [23] Lors d’une assemblée des syndiqués de la
section locale 894 qui s’est tenue le 30 mai 2006, les membres présents se sont prononcés à une écrasante majorité en faveur de l’acceptation de l’offre de règlement de Smurfit-Stone. De ce fait, tous les retraités âgés de moins de 55 ans ont reçu 100 % des prestations de retraite visées à l’article X du régime de pension, ou une somme forfaitaire correspondante. [24] En décembre 2008, M.
Wiseman a appris qu’un arbitre avait accueilli un grief confirmant que des employés âgés de moins de 55 ans travaillant à l’usine de pâte à papier de Dalhousie, au Nouveau-Brunswick, qui étaient régis par des conventions collectives au libellé certes différent conclues avec un autre employeur, étaient en droit de comptabiliser les droits de rappel pour obtenir de pleines prestations de retraite régulière. En mars 2011, il a appris que notre Cour avait décidé de ne pas modifier cette sentence arbitrale (voir Bowater Maritimes Inc. c.
Syndicat canadien des communications, de l’énergie et du papier, sections locales 117, 146, 164 et 263 et l’Association nationale des débardeurs,
section locale 1433 , 2011 NBCA 22 , 368 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 348 ). À cette date, le délai imparti par les Conventions collectives pour déposer des griefs avait expiré et, de toute façon, il se pouvait que les décharges intégrales et définitives aient soustrait Smurfit-Stone à des procédures d’arbitrage. Quoi qu’il en soit, M. Wiseman, qui avait participé aux négociations qui avaient abouti à la signature des Conventions collectives, savait que la
section locale 894 n’avait pas « essayé de négocier des droits de rappel comptabilisables pour amener un employé à l’âge de 55 ans afin qu’il soit admissible à la retraite ». [25] En août 2009, Daniel Patrick Gallagher, l’un des appelants, a appris que des employés qui avaient perdu leur emploi par suite de la fermeture d’une usine de pâte à papier à Terrace Bay, en Ontario, recevaient de pleines prestations de retraite régulières alors même qu’ils n’avaient pas 55 ans à l’époque.
Selon la compréhension que ces employés avaient de la situation, ils avaient réussi à obtenir ces prestations en comptabilisant leurs droits de rappel pour les amener à l’âge requis de 55 ans. Dans l’affidavit qu’il a déposé en opposition à la motion en jugement
sommaire, M. Gallagher déclare que, « [à] l’époque de la fermeture de l’usine et jusqu’au mois d’août 2009 », il n’avait « aucune compréhension ni connaissance du fait qu’il était possible de prendre une retraite anticipée au moyen des droits de rappel ».
Il s’est également dit convaincu qu’aucun autre demandeur n’était au courant de cette possibilité, même si certains d’entre eux « avaient peut-être le sentiment général que le raccordement jusqu’à la retraite était d’une certaine manière possible ». [26] Le 26 avril 2012, les appelants ont déposé contre leurs sections locales, les syndicats-mères dont les intimés ou leurs prédécesseurs, Smurfit-Stone, la Province de Québec et la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick un avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande dans lequel ils sollicitaient des dommages-intérêts « au
titre de la perte des prestations de retraite auxquelles ils avaient droit ». Dans leur exposé de la demande, les appelants alléguaient notamment que les syndicats avaient agi de concert pour leur faire des déclarations inexactes dont la nature n’était pas précisée, « avaient fait preuve de négligence en omettant de dûment préparer, négocier et/ou faciliter un raccordement jusqu’à la retraite » et avaient omis de les informer qu’ils « conservaient leur statut d’employé pendant la période de mise à pied jusqu’à l’expiration de leurs droits de rappel » en vertu des Conventions collectives.
Les appelants alléguaient également que tous les défendeurs avaient usé de coercition à leur encontre pour qu’ils abandonnent leur droit de grief et d’arbitrage relativement à une demande de pleines prestations de retraite régulières. [27] Le 23 juillet 2012, les appelants ont déposé un exposé de la demande modifié dans lequel ils alléguaient que les syndicats avaient fait preuve de « mauvaise foi » au cours des négociations qui avaient mené à leur « départ » et dans « la production d’information » relative à leurs droits et obligations, notamment en ne leur accordant pas assez de temps pour passer en revue « d’importants documents pertinents ».
Ils ont également ajouté l’allégation selon laquelle les syndicats « avaient agi de façon gratuite et arrogante » et « omis, par leur négligence, d’informer les membres ou de se renseigner, en leur qualité de négociateurs syndicaux, au sujet de la validité des droits de rappel et de la possibilité de les invoquer » pour devenir admissibles à une pleine pension régulière « et ce faisant, avaient en plus agi de mauvaise foi ». [28] Les appelants se sont par la suite désistés de l’action intentée à tous les défendeurs à l’exception des syndicats nationaux et internationaux intimés. [29] Le 25 septembre 2014, les appelants ont déposé un second exposé de la demande modifié dans
lequel ils affirmaient que la responsabilité du fait d’autrui et/ou directe des intimés était engagée en raison de leur omission par négligence : (1) de prendre en considération les clauses des Conventions collectives qui régissent les droits de rappel en cas de mise à pied en « négociant [leur] droit de toucher une pension avec la compagnie »; (2) de les informer qu’ils pouvaient se fonder sur ces clauses pour faire valoir « que même si l’usine avait fermé ses portes, [ils] conservaient leur statut d’employé pour une période maximale de trois ans après la fermeture »; (3) « de confier le processus de négociation à des personnes raisonnablement qualifiées et expérimentées étant donné que [les syndicats-mères intimés] avaient l’obligation de les représenter de façon raisonnablement adéquate en leur qualité de membres de leurs syndicats »; et (4) de déposer un grief pour obtenir l’application de ces clauses des Conventions collectives et de le porter en arbitrage.
Les appelants ont également précisé que les dommages qu’ils avaient subis correspondaient à la différence entre la somme forfaitaire qu’ils avaient touchée et la valeur actuarielle « de la pleine pension qu’ils auraient dû recevoir ». Il est raisonnablement possible d’inférer de cette allégation, du dossier et des observations des appelants à l’audience en appel que la somme forfaitaire en question correspondait aux prestations de retraite versées aux appelants au
titre de l’article X. [30] Cela dit, et il est important de le signaler, tant devant le tribunal d’instance inférieure que devant notre Cour, l’argument que les appelants ont invoqué pour contester la demande de jugement
sommaire était fondé sur le fait que l’omission de déposer et de poursuivre le grief décrit plus haut constituait un manquement au devoir de juste représentation que les intimés avaient à leur endroit. [31] Peu avant le procès, les intimés ont présenté une demande de jugement
sommaire afin d’obtenir le rejet de l’action. Lors de l’audience devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine, les intimés ont affirmé que l’action avait été introduite après l’expiration du délai de prescription applicable de six ans prévu par la loi et qu’elle était donc prescrite.
Ils ont également fait valoir que leur motion devrait être accueillie étant donné que le grief que les appelants voulaient déposer était voué à l’échec et que les appelants avaient omis (1) de présenter une preuve d’expert pour établir le bien-fondé du grief en cause et (2) de prouver l’étendue des dommages qu’ils avaient subis. [32] Les appelants ont contesté la motion en faisant valoir que leur action n’était pas prescrite puisqu’elle avait bel et bien été introduite avant l’expiration de la période de six ans qui avait suivi la date à laquelle ils avaient découvert les faits essentiels qui sous-tendaient leur cause d’action.
Selon eux, un fait déterminant restait inconnu et impossible à découvrir avant le mois d’août 2009 : il était possible de comptabiliser les droits de rappel postérieurs à la fermeture de l’usine pour amener les employés qui avaient moins de 55 ans à l’âge de 55 ans et leur permettre ainsi de toucher de pleines prestations de retraite régulières. Les appelants ont invoqué l’affaire Bowater à l’appui de leur prétention qu’un grief sur cette question aurait été accueilli. [33] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que les appelants étaient au courant de tous les faits essentiels en août 2005.
Il en découlait que l’action qui avait été introduite le 22 avril 2012 était prescrite depuis la fin août 2011. Après avoir rejeté l’action sur ce fondement, le juge a ajouté les observations suivantes au sujet de son bien-fondé : [TRADUCTION] Bien qu’il ne soit pas nécessaire de trancher cette question étant donné ma décision sur la prescription, je crois qu’il faudrait avoir des témoignages clairs d’experts sur la possibilité de déposer un grief et sur l’issue possible de l’affaire. De plus, les demandeurs devaient prouver leurs dommages. Une telle preuve n’a pas été présentée en l’espèce.
En conséquence, les demandeurs n’ont pas prouvé que les syndicats les ont représentés de façon injuste. [par. 41] III. Analyse et décision [34] La décision portée en appel a été rendue sous le régime de notre nouvelle règle 22 (« Jugement
sommaire »). Les changements introduits par la nouvelle règle 22 sont énoncés dans l’arrêt O’Toole c. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 58 (QL) , et il est inutile de les reprendre. Je me contenterai de souligner que le critère strict qu’imposait l’ancienne règle 22 ne s’applique plus. C’est maintenant la norme de la prépondérance des probabilités qui s’applique pour statuer sur les motions présentées en vertu de la nouvelle règle 22.
La Cour doit simplement déterminer s’il a été établi, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, qu’il n’existe pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. [35] La norme de contrôle applicable à une décision rendue en vertu de la règle 22 est la norme qui s’applique en cas d’appel découlant d’un procès traditionnel. Les énoncés de droit sont examinés selon la norme de la décision correcte. Les conclusions de fait et les conclusions mixtes de fait et de droit sont assujetties à la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante.
Les décisions discrétionnaires sont soumises à la norme de l’arrêt Beaverbrook (voir La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook, 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161 , au par. 4 ). En l’absence d’une erreur de fait, d’une erreur mixte de fait et de droit ou d’une erreur de droit importantes, la décision ne peut être infirmée que lorsque l’issue est déraisonnable.
A. La défense fondée sur la prescription [36] Aux termes de l’art. 9 de la
Loi sur la prescription, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. L-8, depuis lorsabrogée, une action en responsabilité délictuelle se prescrivait « par six ans à compter de la naissance de la cause d’action ». Dans l’arrêt Central Trust Co. c. Rafuse, (SCC), [1986] 2 R.C.S. 147, [1986] A.C.S. no 52 (QL), à la p. 224, la Cour a conclu qu’unecause d’action prenait naissance, en vertu de la disposition néo-écossaise correspondante, « lorsque les faits importants sur lesquelsrepose cette cause d’action ont été découverts par le demandeur ou auraient dû l’être s’il avait fait preuve de diligence raisonnable ». L’article 9, qui a été abrogé par suite de la proclamation de la
Loi sur la prescription, L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5, le 1er mai 2010, restenéanmoins pertinent. [37] La
Loi sur la prescription de 2009 crée un nouveau délai de prescription de deux ans quis’applique à toute réclamation antérieure à sa proclamation. Ce nouveau délai de prescription était expiré lorsque les appelants ontprésenté leur réclamation. Cependant, le par. 27(3), une disposition transitoire, prévoit que, pendant les deux premières années après le 1er mai 2010, « une réclamation peut être présentée après l’expiration du nouveau délai de prescription, si l’ancien délai de prescriptionn’a pas expiré » (je souligne). [38] Les appelants ont introduit leur réclamation le 26 avril 2012, soit avant que l’ancien délai deprescription de six ans (prévu par l’art. 9 de la
Loi sur la prescription de 1973) n’expire, si et seulement si, comme l’allèguent lesappelants, le principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage, qui a été adopté dans l’arrêt Central Trust Co. c. Rafuse, faisait en sorteque le délai de prescription commence à courir en août 2009 (voir Blanchard et al. c. Caisse Populaire de Shippagan Ltée et al., 2013 NBQB 180 , 2013 NBBR 180, 405 R.N.-B. (2e) 336, au par. 46, motifs de la juge DeWare). [39] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que les appelants connaissaient les faits essentiels en août2005.
Je remarque en lisant le dossier que les appelants avaient facilement accès aux clauses des Conventions collectives et du régime depension, notamment à celles qui régissaient les mises à pied, les droits de rappel et les droits à pension. Par ailleurs, ils savaientmanifestement (1) que la fermeture de l’usine était permanente, (2) que, selon la position de l’employeur, une pleine pension régulièrene pouvait être versée qu’aux employés qui avaient 55 ans révolus le 31 août 2005 et (3) que les sections locales s’abstiendraient decontester cette position en déposant et en faisant instruire un grief.
Il semblerait que la question de savoir si ces faits étaient de nature àdonner naissance à une cause d’action pour manquement, par les syndicats-mères intimés, à leur devoir de juste représentation constituaitla seule inconnue. [40] Dans leur « Appellant’s Factum », les appelants reconnaissent qu’ils savaient « qu’ils ont perduleur emploi et leur pension en août 2005, lorsqu’ils ont été informés de la fermeture de l’usine », mais ils affirment avoir « ignoréjusqu’au mois d’août 2009 que la perte de leurs prestations de retraite était imputable à la négligence de leur syndicat ».
Cet aveu estproblématique car il est généralement reconnu que, si les faits essentiels sont connus, la méconnaissance du droit applicable ne retardepas l’application des délais de prescription en raison du principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage : Graeme Mew, Debra Rolph et Daniel Zacks, The Law of Limitations, 3e éd. (Toronto, LexisNexis, 2016), à la p. 83, par. 3.52. Dans Nicholas c. Tétrault, (ON SC), [2008] O.J. No. 4258 (QL), confirmé dans 2009 ONCA 692, [2009] O.J.
No. 4061 (QL), autorisation d’interjeter appel refusée [2009] C.S.C.R. no 476 (QL), le juge Perell a observé que la méconnaissance [TRADUCTION] « desconséquences juridiques des faits ne peut retarder la date à laquelle le délai de prescription commence à courir » (par. 27). [41] Pourtant, le principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage est conçu pour prévenir« l’iniquité fondamentale qu’entraînerait le fait d’exiger de ce dernier [le demandeur] qu’il prenne action avant qu’il ait puraisonnablement découvrir qu’il disposait d’une cause d’action » : Peixeiro c.
Haberman, (SCC), [1997] 3 R.C.S. 549, [1997] A.C.S. no 31 (QL), au par. 39, motifs du juge Major. De plus, certains tribunaux ont adopté une démarche plus favorable audemandeur que celle qui est préconisée dans l’affaire Nicholas c. Tétrault (voir Tim’s Meat, Deli & Grocery Inc. c. Dubinsky,2010 ONSC 3829, [2010] O.J.
No. 2859 (QL), au par. 32). [42] En l’espèce, les appelants connaissaient les faits essentiels en août 2005, mais ils ignoraientl’existence de l’argument juridique qu’ils pouvaient faire valoir au sujet des conséquences de ces faits sur leur droit d’obtenir de pleinesprestations de retraite régulières.
Autrement dit, les appelants connaissaient les faits essentiels, mais ils n’avaient pas réalisé que ces faitspouvaient donner naissance à une cause d’action. [43] Dans le mémoire qu’ils ont déposé en appel, les appelants allèguent qu’en rejetant le principe dela possibilité de découvrir le dommage, le juge saisi de la motion a omis de prendre en considération l’existence d’une relation
« spéciale » entre les parties. Compte tenu de cette relation « spéciale » entre un syndicat et ses membres, les appelants affirment qu’ilsétaient en droit de compter, comme ils l’ont fait, sur l’expérience et l’expertise des intimés relativement aux questions des droits àpension relevant de conventions collectives et de régimes de pension analogues à ceux qui sont en cause.
Corrélativement, les appelantsfont valoir qu’ils s’en sont remis et étaient en droit de s’en remettre aux intimés pour « découvrir » leurs véritables droits à pension etdéposer ou demander aux sections locales de déposer un grief approprié pour leur compte.
Fondamentalement, l’argument soulevé enappel est que les intimés sont préclus de contester l’application du principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage au motif que lesappelants ignoraient qu’ils jouissaient peut-être de droits à pension avant le mois d’août 2009, précisément parce que les intimés avaientfait défaut de les informer de leurs droits à pension et de la possibilité de porter en arbitrage l’omission de l’employeur de leur verser depleines prestations de retraite régulières.
Réduite à l’essentiel, la prétention des appelants est qu’il serait abusif de permettre aux intimésd’obtenir gain de cause dans leur opposition au principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage (voir The Law of Limitations, auxpp. 231 à 236). [44] L’un des problèmes que pose la prétention des appelants relativement à l’application du principede la possibilité de découvrir le dommage vient du fait que les faits essentiels justifiant son application ne sont pas plaidés.
Dans unetelle situation, les faits essentiels deviennent des cibles mobiles, comme c’est le cas en l’espèce, et les défendeurs et la Cour en sontsouvent réduits à se demander en quoi ils consistent. C’est la raison pour laquelle, si les faits sous-jacents ne sont pas plaidés de façonsatisfaisante, un demandeur est généralement « préclus d’invoquer un argument fondé sur la possibilité de découvrir le dommage enréponse à une motion en jugement
sommaire introduite en raison de l’expiration du délai de prescription applicable » : Oakley c.