2017 NBCA 35, 2017 NBCA 35
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 34-16-CA ANTHONY W. BAMFORD APPELLANT ANTHONY W. BAMFORD APPELANT - and - - et - JUDITH A. BAMFORD RESPONDENT JUDITH A. BAMFORD INTIMÉE Bamford v. Bamford, 2017 NBCA 35 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Bamford c.
Bamford, 2017 NBCA 35 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 6, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 6 mai 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: March 16, 2017 Appel entendu : le 16 mars 2017 Judgment rendered: August 31, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 31 août 2017
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Scott Nathaniel Larson For the respondent: Mary-Eileen O’Brien Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant: Scott Nathaniel Larson Pour l’intimée : Mary-Eileen O’Brien THE COURT The motion judge’s determination that there was no independent legal advice is upheld.
The motion judge did not have an evidentiary record before her to allow a proper analysis and she erred in setting aside the Domestic Contract in its entirety. Therefore the question concerning the inequity of the Domestic Contract or any provisions thereof is remitted to the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division for determination. The appeal is allowed in part. Success being more or less evenly divided, I would order the parties to bear their own costs on appeal. LA COUR Est confirmée la conclusion tirée par la juge saisie de la motion concernant l’absence de conseils juridiques indépendants.
La juge saisie de la motion ne disposait pas des données probantes qui lui auraient permis d’effectuer une analyse en bonne et due forme et elle a commis une erreur en annulant le contrat domestique en entier. En conséquence, la question de l’iniquité du contrat domestique ou de toute disposition y afférente est renvoyée à la Division de la famille de la Cour du Banc de la Reine afin qu’elle rende une décision à cet égard. L’appel est accueilli en partie. Comme les parties ont obtenu gain de cause dans une mesure à peu près égale, je leur ordonnerais d’assumer leurs propres dépens en appel.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Ms. Bamford was successful before the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division, in setting aside a Domestic Contract under s. 43 of the Marital Property Act , S.N.B. 2012, c. 107 . Mr. Bamford appeals this decision. The question before us is whether the motion judge erred in determining the Domestic Contract was to be set aside on the grounds it was inequitable in all circumstances.
II. Factual and Procedural Background [ 2 ] Mr. and Ms. Bamford had previously been married and divorced by the time they began cohabitating on July 5, 2001. Prior to her relationship with Mr. Bamford, Ms. Bamford was employed as a personal care worker. Mr. Bamford owns and operates B/A Realty Ltd., through which he employed Ms. Bamford soon after their relationship commenced. The company owns a strip mall and several rental properties, from which the majority of the family income was derived during their cohabitation.
Prior to their marriage in 2009, the parties entered into the Domestic Contract at issue in these proceedings. [ 3 ] Both parties provide varying accounts regarding the circumstances surrounding the execution of the Domestic Contract; thus, the motion judge was required to assess their credibility. Mr. Bamford’s testimony and affidavit evidence expressed a desire to protect his rental assets and his children’s inheritance. The essence of Ms.
Bamford’s evidence was she believed the Domestic Contract was a necessary requirement, requested by a bank, in order for her husband’s company to secure financing for a mall expansion project. [ 4 ] A local lawyer was retained to draft the Domestic Contract which was executed on January 27, 2009. The lawyer provided legal advice to Ms. Bamford and separate legal counsel provided independent legal advice to Mr. Bamford. In sum, the Domestic Contract provided that the parties waive any interest (or proceeds) in each other’s property acquired prior to cohabitation and, in the event of separation, Ms.
Bamford would receive a lump sum of $50,000. The Domestic Contract does not apply to after acquired property and Mr. Bamford acknowledges it does not limit a claim for spousal support. [ 5 ] The parties separated on August 1, 2014, and Ms. Bamford brought an application for an equal division of marital and non-marital property, an equitable division of marital debts as well as spousal support. In his Answer filed on January 12, 2015, Mr. Bamford stated the parties had signed a written agreement on January 27, 2009, and he did not dispute any of the terms contained therein. He indicated he is prepared to pay Ms.
Bamford $50,000 in accordance with para. 2(b)(i)(c). He further agreed to an equal division of marital property, subject to any restrictions contained in the Domestic Contract. On February 11, 2015, Ms. Bamford brought a motion to have the Domestic Contract set aside pursuant to s. 43 of the Act on the basis she did not have independent legal advice. She requested that relief as follows: […] 2. An Order that the provisions of the Domestic Contract, dated January 27, 2009, be disregarded, pursuant to
section 43 of the Marital Property Act and the relevant case law[.] [ 6 ] Relying on the language of s. 43 of the Act , the motion judge found the lawyer, who witnessed Ms. Bamford’s signature and provided her with legal advice, was not independent of Mr. Bamford. This was based on a previous social and business relationship between the lawyer and Mr. Bamford. There is no issue with this part of her analysis. Furthermore, the motion judge determined Mr. Bamford’s complete lack of financial disclosure illustrated the inadequacy of the legal advice provided to Ms. Bamford.
Without being aware of what she was entitled to, or exactly what she was releasing, the content of this legal advice was not sufficient. The motion judge set aside the Domestic Contract, finding Ms. Bamford was vulnerable, could not understand what she was agreeing to, and Mr. Bamford had taken advantage of her. The judge also noted Mr. Bamford had been secretive about his finances and the intentions and consequences relating to the Domestic Contract. Mr.
Bamford contests these findings on appeal, and seeks either a reversal of the decision, or, in the alternative, the decision be set aside and returned to another judge for rehearing. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 7 ] Mr. Bamford alleges the motion judge made a series of palpable and overriding errors of fact when she found that: (
a) Ms. Bamford could not have understood the full effect of the Domestic Contract; (
b) Ms. Bamford was not aware of the potential relinquishment of her rights; (
c) Mr. Bamford took advantage of Ms. Bamford; (
d) Mr. Bamford exerted undue influence over Ms. Bamford; and
(
e) Mr. Bamford concealed his intentions and the consequences of entering into the Domestic Contract. [8] Mr. Bamford asserts the motion judge made a palpable and overriding error of mixed fact and law: (
a) in finding Ms. Bamford did not waive her right to rely on independent legal advice due to her choice of counsel; (
b) in finding the Domestic Contract was inequitable in all the circumstances of the case, including the conclusion, on the evidence shehad before her, there was a significant departure from the provisions of the Marital Property Act; and (
c) in setting aside the Domestic Contract. [9] Mr. Bamford further submits the motion judge made a material and overriding mistake of law in makingfindings on issues which were not pled. [10] Finally, Mr. Bamford alleges the motion judge failed to judicially exercise her discretion with respect to theaward of costs. IV. Standard of Review [11] Before analyzing the merits of the grounds relied upon by Mr. Bamford, the standard of review must beconsidered. The standard of review in family law matters has been considered many times by this Court.
A succinct statement on thestandard of review can be found in MacDonald v. MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, 372 N.B.R. (2d) 179: The standard of review that applies to family matters generally is that the judge’s decision must be given considerable deference. Anappellate court is empowered to set aside or vary a decision or order where it is the product of an error of law, an error in principle, asignificant misapprehension of the evidence or if it is clearly wrong (see Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518,[1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL) para. 11; Van de Perre v. Edwards, 2001 SCC 60, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014; Savoie v.
Levesque, 2009 NBCA 47,[2009] N.B.J. No. 282 (QL); Ms. P.H. v. Mr. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, [2008] N.B.J. No. 52 (QL); Milton v. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338N.B.R. (2d) 300, para. 14; J.E.J. v. S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, [2007] N.B.J. No. 249 (QL), para. 35; S.H. v. V.B., 2007 NBCA 69, 321N.B.R. (2d) 314, para. 2). [para. 7] [12] In support of the standard of review applicable to discretionary decisions at the trial level, this Court in Fliegerv.
Adams, 2012 NBCA 39, 387 N.B.R. (2d) 322 states: In Smith, Quigg J.A. also referred to the standard of review with respect to findings of fact and discretionary orders: Richard J.A. discusses the standard of review respecting findings of fact in Lang v. Lang, [2007] N.B.J. No. 348 (C.A.) (QL): The law is equally clear that the Court of Appeal cannot re-try a case.
The Court of Appeal may only overturn a trial judge’s finding offact [if] it is the result of a palpable and overriding error, and may only interfere with a discretionary order if it is founded upon an errorof law, an error in the application of the governing principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence (seeHousen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, [2002] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL), 2002 S.C.C. 33 and H.L. v. Canada(Attorney General), [2005] 1 S.C.R. 401, [2005] S.C.J. No. 24 (QL), 2005 SCC 25 with regard to findings of fact, and British Columbia(Minister of Forests) v.
Okanagan Indian Band, [2003] 3 S.C.R. 371, [2003] S.C.J. No. 76 (QL), 2003 SCC 71, at para. 43, with regardto discretionary orders). [para. 12]
[para. 8] V. Analysis [13] By way of overview,
Part 3 of the Act allows individuals to make legally binding cohabitation and marriageagreements pertaining to property rights and support obligations. If an unmarried couple subsequently marries, their cohabitationagreement is deemed to be a marriage contract (s. 35(3)). In separation agreements, individuals may provide for custody of, and accessto, their children (s. 36(c)). In the event of conflict, the terms of domestic contracts prevail over property rights and obligations found inthe Act (see s. 42). All domestic contracts, or agreements to amend or rescind domestic contracts, must be in writing and signed by bothparties, each signing in the presence of a witness (s. 37).
Section 43 of the Act reads as follows : 43 The Court may disregard any provision ofa domestic contract if the Court is of theopinion that to apply the provision would beinequitable in all the circumstances of thecase if […] (
b) the spouse who challenges the provisionentered into the domestic contract withoutreceiving legal advice from a personindependent of any legal adviser of the otherspouse. 43 La Cour peut ne pas tenir compte decertaines dispositions du contrat domestiquedont l’application serait, à son avis,inéquitable dans toutes les circonstances del’espèce, sous l’une ou l’autre des conditionssuivantes : […]
b) le conjoint contestataire n’a pas reçu deconseils juridiques d’une personneindépendante du conseiller juridique del’autre conjoint. [14] The first step in determining whether the Domestic Contract or a portion thereof should be set aside under s. 43of the Act is to decide whether independent legal advice was received by Ms. Bamford. The second step, if there is a finding there was noindependent legal advice, is to decide whether the impugned
section of the agreement is inequitable in all of the circumstances. VI. Independent Legal Advice [15] The analysis begins with s. 43 of the Act as this was the legislative provision expressly relied on in Ms.Bamford’s Notice of Motion, and the provision the motion judge applied in order to set aside the entire Domestic Contract. [16] In Kay v. Kay (1999), (NB CA), 215 N.B.R. (2d) 291, [1999] N.B.J.
No. 289 (QL),Drapeau J.A. (as he then was) discusses the applicability of s. 41 of the Act , which dealt with challenges to contracts on the basis thespouse did not receive independent legal advice: It is settled law that the spouse who challenges the validity of a domestic contract has a heavy onus to meet. This is so because the lawviews with favour the certainty that flows from a high judicial regard for domestic contracts. See Toussaint v. Toussaint (1982), (NB CA), 40 N.B.R. (2d) 541; 105 A.P.R. 541 (C.A.), per La Forest, J.A., as he then was.
That being said, there are caseswhere the evidence is such that the court would be remiss in its duty if it did not disregard the parties’ written agreement.
Section 41(
b) of the Marital Property Act specifies the conditions that must exist before a Court may, in the exercise of the powersconferred on it by the statute, disregard any provision of a domestic contract. The court’s power under s. 41(
b) is only engaged whereinequity in the application of the impugned provision is accompanied by one of two factors: the domestic contract must have beenentered into prior to the coming into force of
Part III and without contemplation of its coming into force, or it must have been madewithout independent legal advice having been given to the spouse who challenges it. In this context, inequity is determined by takinginto account “all the circumstances of the case”. [paras. 34-35]
[ 17 ] In the case before us, the use of the motion judge’s discretion requires first, a finding that there is a lack of independent legal advice provided to the spouse challenging the provision in the contract and, second, a finding it would be inequitable to apply the impugned provision given all the circumstances of the case. Therefore, the issues that are determinative of this appeal turn on the proper application of s. 43( b ). Although the entire Domestic Contract was set aside, it appears the impugned provision was the one awarding Ms.
Bamford rights to the “before acquired property” of the marriage, and the waiver of interest in B/A Realty Ltd. in return for a lump sum of $50,000. [ 18 ] It is conceded by Mr. Bamford there is “probably sufficient evidence to support the conclusion that the lawyer was not sufficiently ‘independent’ from the appellant” (Appellant’s written submission, para. 91). The lack of independence of Ms. Bamford’s legal advisor stems from the motion judge’s factual findings that the lawyer was and is Mr. Bamford’s lawyer, as well as being a long-time friend.
Therefore, it follows that, as conceded, the legal advice given to Ms. Bamford in the circumstances was not independent. VII. Waiver of Independent Legal Advice [ 19 ] Mr. Bamford submits Ms. Bamford waived her right to independent legal advice. I disagree.
Chapter 6 of the New Brunswick Law Society Code of Professional Conduct , in force at the time the Bamfords entered the Domestic Contract, does not allow a lawyer to act for a client where there is a conflict of interest, unless certain procedures have been followed. This is a positive duty upon the lawyer. These provisions, outlined below, require the lawyer to recommend independent representation and to disclose any pre-existing solicitor-client relationship he or she has with any of the parties.
The lawyer is also prevented from keeping any information received from a party regarding the matter confidential from the other parties. In sum, a lawyer may only continue to act in a conflict situation where there has been full disclosure in the circumstances, and informed consent of the parties. RULE The lawyer shall avoid all influences that compromise the duty of loyalty and the exercise of impartial and independent judgment and action owed by the lawyer to the client. COMMENTARY Acting for more than one client 1. (
a) In accordance with the Rule in this
chapter and subject to paragraph (
b) hereof the lawyer shall not act for more than one client in a matter where there is an actual, a potential or an apparent conflict of interest. (
b) The lawyer may act for more than one client in a matter where (
i) the lawyer has recommended in writing that each obtain independent legal representation, (ii) the lawyer has made adequate disclosure to them of all information pertaining to the matter that is in the possession of the RÈGLE L’avocat évite toutes les influences qui ont pour effet de compromettre son devoir de loyauté et l’exercice de son jugement impartial et indépendant de même que sa liberté d’action auquel il est tenu à l’égard du client. COMMENTAIRE Représentation de plusieurs clients 1.
a) Conformément à la règle énoncée dans le présent
chapitre et sous réserve de l’alinéa b) qui suit, l’avocat ne peut occuper pour plus d’un client dans une affaire donnant lieu à un conflit d’intérêts réel, potentiel ou indéniable.
b) L’avocat peut représenter plus d’un client dans une affaire dans les cas suivants : (
i) il a recommandé par écrit que chacun soit représenté par un avocat indépendant, (ii) il leur a divulgué de façon suffisante toute l’information dont il dispose au sujet de l’affaire, (iii) il a respecté les dispositions du commentaire 2a) du présent chapitre,
lawyer, (iii) the lawyer has observed the provisions of Commentary 2(
a) in this chapter, and (iv) those not wishing to have other legal representation in the matter consent in writing that the lawyer act for them. (
c) Notwithstanding (
b) hereof the lawyer shall not act for more than one client in a matter where despite the fact that the clients concerned have consented to the lawyer so acting it is reasonably obvious that an issue is or will become contentious between or amongst them in the matter or that their interests, rights or obligations will diverge as the matter progresses. Disclosure by the lawyer 2. (
a) Before the lawyer accepts employment from more than one client in a matter the lawyer shall advise them that the lawyer has been asked to act for them; that no information received in connection with the matter from one can be treated as confidential as far as any of the others for whom the lawyer will act are concerned; and that, if a dispute develops between or amongst them that cannot be resolved, the lawyer cannot continue to act for them and must withdraw completely from the matter.
If one of them is a client with whom the lawyer has a continuing professional relationship and for whom the lawyer acts on a regular basis, this fact also shall be revealed by the lawyer to the others at the outset of the matter and the lawyer shall make the recommendation that the others obtain independent legal representation in the matter. If following all of the foregoing disclosures the clients are content that the lawyer act for them in the matter the lawyer shall obtain their written consents thereto. (
b) Notwithstanding (
a) hereof, the provisions of Commentary 1 (
c) in this
chapter shall apply, all necessary changes having been made, to the circumstances envisaged in (
a) hereof. (iv) ceux qui ne désirent pas être représentés dans l’affaire par un autre avocat consentent par écrit à ce qu’il agisse pour eux.
c) Par dérogation à l’alinéa b) précédent, l’avocat ne peut représenter plus d’un client dans une affaire si, malgré le consentement des clients touchés, il est raisonnablement manifeste qu’un différend existe ou risque de surgir entre eux ou parmi eux dans l’affaire ou que leurs intérêts, leurs droits ou leurs obligations divergeront à mesure que l’affaire avancera . Divulgation par l’avocat 2.
a) Avant qu’il n’accepte de représenter plusieurs clients dans une affaire, l’avocat les avise que les autres clients lui ont demandé d’agir pour eux, qu’aucun des renseignements qui lui seront communiqués relativement à l’affaire ne saurait être tenu pour confidentiel à l’égard des autres clients qu’il représente et que si un conflit insoluble devait surgir entre eux, il ne pourra pas continuer à les représenter et se trouvera dans l’obligation de se désister complètement de l’affaire.
Si l’un d’eux est un client avec lequel l’avocat a une relation professionnelle stable et pour lequel il agit de façon régulière, il révèle ce fait aux autres dès le début de l’affaire et leur recommande de se faire représenter par un autre avocat. Si, malgré tout, les clients consentent à ce qu’il les représente, il obtiendra leurs consentements par écrit.
b) Par dérogation à l’alinéa a) précédent, les dispositions du commentaire 1
c) du présent
chapitre s’appliquent, avec les adaptations nécessaires, aux circonstances envisagées à l’alinéa a) du présent article. [ 20 ] There is nothing in the facts of this case to support a finding that Ms. Bamford’s choice to be represented by that particular lawyer was fully informed and voluntary after disclosure was obtained. In my view, this would be the only type of consent that could have allowed the lawyer to continue advising both Mr. and Ms.
Bamford without compromising his duty to “ avoid all influences that compromise the duty of loyalty and the exercise of impartial and independent judgment” under the Code . Having Mr. Bamford go to another lawyer for the purpose of executing the Domestic Contract does not remedy this defect. [ 21 ] The motion judge also found Ms. Bamford was not given full disclosure regarding the Domestic Contract. As a result, her decision to proceed with Mr. Bamford’s lawyer was without any independent legal advice to aid in her decision whether or not to execute the Domestic Contract.
She was not aware of the consequences the conflict of interest might have in terms of the overall
enforceability of the contract. [22] The alternative argument put forth by Mr. Bamford, estoppel by conduct, appears rarely in family mattersbefore the New Brunswick Courts. In one instance, Plourde v. Plourde (1994), (NB KB), 151 N.B.R. (2d) 20,[1994] N.B.J. No. 324 (Q.B.) (QL), the wife was still making payments for legal services she received during her previous divorce.Having heard “horror stories” about her former lawyer’s collection methods, the Plourdes feared execution against their home.
Mr.Plourde instructed a different lawyer to prepare a Domestic Contract in an effort to insulate their home from possible claims by Mrs.Plourde’s former lawyer and ex-husband. Among other allocations weighted in favor of Mr. Plourde, the contract provided he would bethe sole owner of the home. Athey J. found both parties had received independent legal advice and Mrs. Plourde’s challenge on thisground failed. In fact, the evidence was that Mrs. Plourde’s lawyer explained the contract “clause by clause” and advised her not to sign(para. 11).
However, the parties had conducted their financial affairs as if no Domestic Contract existed, and its provisions were nolonger enforceable. In determining Mr. Plourde could not rely on the terms of the Domestic Contract, Athey J. explained: There was inequality in the bargaining positions of Mr. Plourde and Mrs. Plourde at the time the contract was signed in the sense thatMrs. Plourde was concerned that her former lawyer could “take” the house for legal fees she owed to him and Mr. Plourde assured herthat the contract was to be signed for the purpose of protecting the house from the lawyer.
I am not able to conclude, however, that whenthe contract was signed it was also improvident or substantially unfair given that a significant portion of the purchase price of the homehad been paid for from funds accumulated by Mr. Plourde before he entered into his relationship with Mrs. Plourde. The parties pooled their financial resources by placing their monies in a joint bank account, both before and after the contract wasexecuted. They mortgaged the home in 1989 to raise monies to purchase an apartment building as joint tenants. Mrs.
Plourde consentedto the mortgage being placed on the home when her consent ought not to have been necessary. She had, by the contract, released herrights to that property. See s. 19 of the Marital Property Act. She also signed the mortgage as guarantor. Together Mr. and Mrs. Plourde borrowed $30,000 to purchase a Ford Bronco which was registered in Mr. Plourde’s name only. Theyalso borrowed $4,500 from Central Guaranty Trust Company to make improvements to the home which was registered in Mr. Plourde’sname alone.
Both before and after separation the loan payments for the Ford Bronco and the home improvement loan were paid from therental income derived from the apartment building owned jointly by them. In short, Mr. and Mrs. Plourde conducted their financial affairs after the contract was executed as though no contract existed betweenthem. This confirms that the parties did not intend that the contract would have any binding effect as between themselves. In my viewMr. Plourde is now estopped from relying on the contract.
For these reasons I find that the domestic contract is not enforceable. [paras.14-17] [23] In my view, the present case can be distinguished from Plourde on the basis it was only Mr. Bamford whotruly received independent legal advice when entering the contract. [24] In the case before us, the motion judge found, on a few occasions, Mr. Bamford was not an innocent party tothe Domestic Contract due to the fact he did not provide financial disclosure and he had concealed his intentions regarding theagreement. Mr. Bamford relies upon HREIT Holdings 45 Corp. v. R.A.S. Food Services (Kenora) Inc., [2009] O.J.
No. 506 (Ont. S.C.J.)(QL) in asserting that Ms. Bamford either waived the requirement of independent legal advice or, by her conduct, is estopped fromrelying on her choice of lawyer to overturn the Domestic Contract. However, in my view, the HREIT case is distinguishable as it pertainsto commercial contracts and the conduct of large commercial entities. [25] Domestic Contracts are distinct from commercial contracts. In Miglin v.
Miglin, 2003 SCC 24, [2003] 1 S.C.R.303, the Supreme Court explained the environment surrounding Domestic Contracts is unique from that of commercial contracts, andtherefore should not be subject to the same rules and analysis: Negotiations in the family law context of separation or divorce are conducted in a unique environment. Both academics and practitionershave acknowledged that this is a time of intense personal and emotional turmoil, in which one or both of the parties may be particularlyvulnerable.
Unlike emotionally neutral economic actors negotiating in the commercial context, divorcing couples inevitably bring to thetable a host of emotions and concerns that do not obviously accord with the making of rational economic decisions. As Payne and Paynenote:
In the typical divorce scenario, spouses negotiate a settlement, often with the aid of lawyers, at a time when they are still experiencingthe emotional trauma of marriage breakdown. Spouses who have not come to terms with the death of their marriage and who feel guilty,depressed or angry in consequence of the marriage breakdown are ill-equipped to form decisions of a permanent and legally bindingnature. (J. D. Payne and M. A. Payne, Dealing with Family Law: A Canadian Guide (1993), at p. 78. See also Leopold v. Leopold (2000), (ON SC), 12 R.F.L. (5th) 118 (Ont.
S.C.)) [para. 74] I would dismiss this ground of appeal. VIII. “Inequitable in all the Circumstances of the Case” [26] As required by s. 43 of the Marital Property Act, and further affirmed in Kay, inequity is determined by takinginto account all the circumstances of the case (para. 35). It is well settled that Ms.
Bamford “has a heavy onus to meet” when challengingthe validity of this Domestic Contract: Kay, at para. 34. [27] In this case, in setting aside the entire agreement, the motion judge relied on the standard of “a significantdeparture from the equal sharing objective of the Marital Property Act when balanced against the entire provisions of the SeparationAgreement; in this case the Domestic Contract” (para. 64). In Gillespie v.
Borthwick, 2010 NBQB 331, 365 N.B.R. (2d) 181, Walsh J.further explains the standard as follows: When I say balanced against the entire provisions of the Separation Agreement, I include the other provisions that do not deal with adivision of assets and liabilities. In other words, the marital property debt in issue in this case cannot be viewed in a vacuum nor, indeed,balanced only against other property/debt division. Rather, it is to be balanced against all the terms of the agreement and in the context ofthe parties’ lives at that time.
To extend the logic, the question becomes: Was the Separation Agreement made inequitable because of themanner of division of that specific debt? [para. 43] [28] Unfortunately, in this case, the evidence of the parties’ lives at the time the Domestic Contract was entered intowas not part of the record and, thus, not part of the motion judge’s analysis for finding the entire Domestic Contract inequitable. Thefocus of the motion judge’s analysis on this point was Ms. Bamford did not understand the full effect of the contract.
Further, Ms.Bamford failed to receive any financial disclosure, as admitted by the lawyer who prepared the Contract. For these reasons, the DomesticContract was found to be invalid. This type of improvidence, paired with a lack of legal advice, could also have led the Court toformulate the opinion that it would be inequitable to apply the Contract in light of all of the circumstances of the particular case (see Kay,at paras. 35-36). [29] The scope of the power granted to the court in s. 43(
b) is to set aside “any provision” of a domestic contract,rather than a contract in its entirety. In this case, the consideration is properly: whether the application of the challenged provision itselfwould be inequitable in all the circumstances of the case. The motion judge was free to consider all the circumstances of the case;however, she should have grounded her analysis in s. 43 by balancing the impugned provision against all the terms of the agreement. IV. The motion judge erred in allowing issues not pleaded in the Notice of Motion to aid in her decision-making [30] Ms.
Bamford’s notice of motion requested the Domestic Contract entered into be disregarded pursuant to s. 43of the Marital Property Act. She had the onus of proving she entered into the contract without receiving legal advice from a personindependent of Mr. Bamford’s legal advisor, and the impugned provision was inequitable in all of the circumstances of the case.
[31] Mr. Bamford contends Ms. Bamford’s reliance on the failure to provide financial disclosure to indicate a lackof independence in the legal advice given to her, as well as a ground for inequity, was not a ground directly pleaded. [32] The issue of independent legal advice is not directly a concern for the resolution of this appeal. Mr. Bamfordconceded the advice given to Ms. Bamford was not independent. In Kay, this Court says:
Section 41(
b) is clear and it renders relevant to the issue of the validity of any impugned domestic contract the parties' financial situationat the time of its execution. All documents pertaining to Mr. Kay’s financial situation at the time of the execution of the domesticcontract are relevant to the issue of whether Ms. Kay received independent legal advice, and the issue of whether it would be inequitablefor the Court to apply the contract's provisions. Both issues must be addressed by the Court in exercising its jurisdiction under s. 41(
b) ofthe Act, the statutory disposition expressly mentioned by Ms. Kay in her application. [para. 36] [33] With respect to the assessment of inequity, the very language of s. 43 permits the court to consider whetherinequity results in “all the circumstances of the case” and presumes a detailed history of the marital relationship, including any period ofcohabitation, financial disclosure, and the functions performed by the spouses during marriage. It is a contextual analysis.
It follows thatwithout a complete evidentiary record before her, the judge could not rule on the inequity portion of the framework as necessitated byHartshorne v. Hartshorne, 2004 SCC 22, [2004] 1 S.C.R. 550. X. Costs [34] Under Rule 59, awarding costs is in the complete discretion of the Court. This Court may only intervene if theexercise of that discretion was manifestly wrong (Williams et al. v. Saint John, New Brunswick and Chubb Industries Ltd. (1985), (NB CA), 66 N.B.R. (2d) 10, [1985] N.B.J. No. 93 (QL), at para. 65).
Rule 59.02 delineates certain factors the court mayconsider when awarding costs, including any other matter relevant to the question of costs. In this case, the motion judge awarded coststo Ms. Bamford because of the success of her motion, a matter relevant to the question of costs. In Acadia Marble, Tile & Terrazzo Ltd v.Oromocto Property Developments Ltd. (1998), (NB CA), 205 N.B.R. (2d) 358, [1998] N.B.J. No. 412 (QL), theCourt reaffirms the general rule that the successful party is entitled to costs (para. 35).
While it is true that I would not fully uphold themotion judge’s decision, there is no question that Ms. Bamford was substantially successful on her motion and I would therefore notinterfere with the motion judge’s award of costs. XI. Disposition [35] In my opinion, the motion judge erred in vitiating the contract as a whole. She did not have an evidentiaryrecord before her to allow a proper analysis and she set the entire contract aside based on issues that were not pleaded.
The motion judgedid not have sufficient evidence or any financial information before her to make the decision that any provisions of the DomesticContract should be disregarded as being “inequitable in all of the circumstances”. The parties do not question the judge’s finding therewas no independent legal advice and I see no error in that finding. Therefore, there is no need to revisit the issue of independent legaladvice at any further hearings.
I would order a new hearing restricted to the issue of whether the Domestic Contract, or any provisionthereof, is inequitable, to the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division, for determination either by way of a continuation of the Motionor Application. In the end, success being more or less evenly divided, I would order the parties to bear their own costs on appeal. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I.
Introduction [1] Mme Bamford a eu gain de cause dans sa motion visant à faire annuler un contrat domestique àla Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, en vertu de l’article 43 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille, L.N.-B. 2012, ch. 107.
M. Bamford interjette appel de cette décision. La question que nous devons trancher est celle de savoir si la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur en décidant que le contrat domestique devait être annulé pour le motif qu’il était inéquitable dans toutes les circonstances. II. Faits et procédures [2] Avant de commencer à cohabiter le 5 juillet 2001, chacune des parties avait déjà été mariée puis divorcée. Avant d’amorcer sa relation avec M. Bamford, M me Bamford travaillait comme aide en soins de santé. M.
Bamford est propriétaire et exploitant de B/A Realty Ltd., et il a embauché M me Bamford peu après le début de leur relation. La compagnie est propriétaire d’un centre commercial linéaire et de plusieurs biens locatifs desquels les parties ont tiré la majorité des revenus dont ils avaient besoin pour vivre pendant la cohabitation.
Avant de se marier en 2009, les parties ont conclu le contrat domestique qui fait l’objet de la présente instance. [3] Chacune des parties a donné une version différente des circonstances de la conclusion du contrat domestique; par conséquent, la juge saisie de la motion a dû évaluer leur crédibilité. Dans son témoignage et sa preuve par affidavit, M. Bamford a exprimé le désir de protéger ses biens locatifs et l’héritage de ses enfants.
La preuve fournie par M me Bamford indique essentiellement qu’elle croyait le contrat domestique nécessaire, parce qu’exigé par une banque, pour que l’entreprise de son mari puisse obtenir du financement en vue d’un projet d’expansion du centre commercial. [4] Les services d’un avocat de la région ont été retenus pour la rédaction du contrat domestique qui a été signé le 27 janvier 2009. Cet avocat a fourni des conseils juridiques à M me Bamford et un autre avocat a fourni des conseils juridiques indépendants à M. Bamford.
En somme, le contrat domestique stipulait que les parties renonçaient à tout intérêt dans les biens de l’autre acquis avant la cohabitation (ou au produit tiré de ces biens) et que, en cas de séparation, M me Bamford recevrait une somme forfaitaire de 50 000 $. Le contrat domestique ne s’applique pas aux biens acquis après la conclusion de celui-ci et M.
Bamford reconnaît qu’il n’a pas pour effet d’imposer des limites à une demande d’aliments matrimoniaux. [5] Les parties se sont séparées le 1 er août 2014 et M me Bamford a présenté une requête en répartition égale des biens matrimoniaux et non matrimoniaux ainsi qu’en répartition équitable des dettes matrimoniales. Elle a également présenté une demande d’aliments matrimoniaux. Dans sa réponse du 12 janvier 2015, M. Bamford a affirmé que les parties avaient signé une entente écrite le 27 janvier 2009 et qu’il ne contestait pas les conditions de cette entente.
Il a indiqué qu’il était disposé à verser la somme de 50 000 $ à M me Bamford, conformément à la clause 2(b)(i)(c). Il consentait en outre à une répartition égale des biens matrimoniaux, sous réserve de toute restriction prévue par le contrat domestique. Le 11 février 2015, M me Bamford a déposé une motion en annulation du contrat domestique pour le motif qu’elle n’avait pas reçu de conseils juridiques indépendants, un des motifs prévus par l’art. 43 de la Loi . Elle sollicitait cette réparation au moyen de ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] 2. Une ordonnance rendue en vertu de l’article 43 de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux et de la jurisprudence applicable et prescrivant qu’il ne soit pas tenu compte des dispositions du contrat domestique signé le 27 janvier 2009[.] [6] Sur le fondement du libellé de l’art. 43 de la Loi , la juge saisie de la motion a conclu que l’avocat qui avait été témoin de la signature du contrat domestique par M me Bamford et qui avait fourni à celle-ci des conseils juridiques n’était pas un avocat indépendant par rapport à M. Bamford. Sa conclusion est fondée sur les relations sociales et d’affaires entre cet avocat et M. Bamford. Personne ne conteste cette
partie de l’analyse faite par la juge. En outre, la juge saisie de la motion a décidé que le fait qu’absolument aucun renseignement financier n’avait été divulgué illustrait l’insuffisance des conseils juridiques fournis à M me Bamford. Puisqu’elle n’avait pas été mise au courant de ce à quoi elle avait droit, ou de ce à quoi au juste elle renonçait, les conseils juridiques n’étaient pas suffisants. La juge saisie de la motion a annulé le contrat domestique, en concluant que M me Bamford était vulnérable et ne pouvait comprendre la portée de l’entente qu’elle signait et que M. Bamford avait profité d’elle.
La juge a aussi fait remarquer que M. Bamford avait fait mystère de sa situation financière et de ses intentions relativement au contrat domestique, ainsi que des conséquences de ce contrat. En appel, M. Bamford conteste ces conclusions et cherche à faire infirmer cette décision ou, subsidiairement, à la faire annuler et à faire déférer l’affaire à un autre juge en vue d’une nouvelle audience. III. Moyens d’appel
[7] M. Bamford fait valoir que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une série d’erreurs de faitmanifestes et dominantes lorsqu’elle a tiré les conclusions suivantes :
a) Mme Bamford ne pouvait pas avoir compris l’effet réel du contrat domestique;
b) Mme Bamford n’était pas au courant qu’elle renonçait possiblement à ses droits;
c) M. Bamford a profité de Mme Bamford;
d) M. Bamford a fait preuve d’abus d’influence à l’égard de Mme Bamford;
e) M. Bamford a dissimulé son intention relativement à la conclusion du contrat domestique et aux conséquences du contrat. [8] M. Bamford affirme que la juge saisie de la motion a commis des erreurs mixtes de fait et dedroit manifestes et dominantes :
a) en concluant que Mme Bamford n’a pas renoncé à son droit de se fier à des conseils juridiques indépendants du fait de son choixd’avocat;
b) en concluant que le contrat domestique était inéquitable dans toutes les circonstances de l’espèce, y compris la conclusion,tirées de la preuve dont elle était saisie, selon laquelle il existait un écart important par rapport aux dispositions de la
Loi sur les biensmatrimoniaux;
c) en annulant le contrat domestique. [9] M. Bamford soutient en outre que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur de droitmanifeste et dominante en tirant des conclusions sur des points qui n’ont pas été plaidés. [10] Enfin, M. Bamford prétend que la juge saisie de la motion a omis d’exercer judiciairement sonpouvoir discrétionnaire en matière d’attribution des dépens. IV. Norme de contrôle [11] Avant d’analyser le bien-fondé des moyens invoqués par M. Bamford, il incombe d’examiner lanorme de contrôle qui s’applique.
Notre Cour s’est penchée à maintes reprises sur la norme de contrôle applicable dans les affairesrelevant du droit de la famille. Un énoncé concis de la norme de contrôle a été formulé dans l’affaire MacDonald c. MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, 372 R.N.-B. (2e) 179 : La norme de contrôle qui s’applique généralement aux affaires familiales exige une grande retenue face à la décision du juge.
Untribunal d’appel a le pouvoir d’annuler ou de modifier une décision ou une ordonnance lorsqu’elle est le fruit d’une erreur de droit, d’uneerreur de principe, d’une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou si elle est manifestement erronée (voir Hickey c. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), par. 11, Van de Perre c. Edwards, 2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, Savoie c. Levesque, 2009 NBCA 47, [2009] A.N.-B. no 282 (QL), Mme P.H. c. M. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, [2008] A.N.-B. no 52 (QL), Milton c. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 R.N.-B. (2e) 300, par. 14, J.E.J. c.
S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, [2007] A.N.-B. no 249 (QL), par. 35, et S.H. c. V.B., 2007 NBCA 69, 321 R.N.-B. (2e) 314, par. 2). [par. 7] [12] Dans l’affaire Flieger c. Adams, 2012 NBCA 39, 387 R.N.-B. (2e) 322, notre Cour a dit ce quisuit à l’appui de la norme de contrôle applicable dans le cas de décisions discrétionnaires rendues en première instance : Dans Smith, la juge d’appel Quigg a également rappelé quelles normes de contrôle sont applicables aux conclusions de fait et auxordonnances discrétionnaires :
Dans l’arrêt Lang c. Lang, [2007] A.N.-B. no 348 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Richard a examiné la norme de contrôle qui s’appliqueaux conclusions de fait : [TRADUCTION]Il est tout aussi clair, en droit, que la Cour d’appel ne peut juger l’affaire de nouveau.
La Cour d’appel ne peut infirmer une conclusion defait du juge du procès que si celle-ci résulte d’une erreur manifeste et dominante et ne peut modifier une ordonnance discrétionnaire quesi celle-ci est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve (voir les arrêts Housen c. Nikolaisen, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, [2002] A.C.S. no 31 (QL), 2002 CSC 33, et H.L. c.
Canada (Procureur général), [2005] 1 R.C.S. 401, [2005] A.C.S. no 24 (QL), 2005 CSC 25, pour ce qui concerne les conclusions de fait, et l’arrêt Colombie-Britannique (Ministre des Forêts) c. Bande indienne Okanagan, [2003] 3 R.C.S. 371, [2003] A.C.S. no 76(QL), 2003 CSC 71, au par. 43, pour ce qui concerne les ordonnances discrétionnaires). [par. 12] [par. 8] V. Analyse [13] Pour donner une vue d’ensemble, la
partie 3 de la Loi permet à des personnes de conclure desententes de cohabitation et de mariage exécutoires dans lesquelles elles conviennent de leurs droits de propriété et de leurs obligations enmatière d’aliments. Si un couple non marié conclut une entente de cohabitation et se marie par la suite, cette entente est réputée constituerun contrat de mariage (par. 35(3)). Dans les ententes de séparation, les parties peuvent convenir du droit de garde de leurs enfants et dudroit de visite auprès de ceux-ci (al. 36c)).
En cas d’incompatibilité, les clauses d’un contrat domestique l’emportent sur les droits depropriété et les obligations prévus dans la Loi (voir l’art. 42). Les contrats domestiques, et toutes ententes portant modification ourésiliation de ceux-ci, doivent être établis par écrit et signés par les parties, chacune des parties signant en présence d’un témoin (art. 37).L’article 43 de la Loi est ainsi rédigé : 43 The Court may disregard any provision ofa domestic contract if the Court is of theopinion that to apply the provision would beinequitable in all the circumstances of thecase if […] (
b) the spouse who challenges the provisionentered into the domestic contract withoutreceiving legal advice from a personindependent of any legal adviser of the otherspouse. 43 La Cour peut ne pas tenir compte decertaines dispositions du contrat domestiquedont l’application serait, à son avis,inéquitable dans toutes les circonstances del’espèce, sous l’une ou l’autre des conditionssuivantes : […]
b) le conjoint contestataire n’a pas reçu deconseils juridiques d’une personneindépendante du conseiller juridique del’autre conjoint. [14] La première étape à franchir pour déterminer s’il y a lieu d’annuler le contrat domestique ou une
partie de celui-ci consiste à décider si Mme Bamford a reçu des conseils juridiques indépendants. Si la Cour conclut qu’elle n’a pas reçude conseils juridiques indépendants, la deuxième étape consiste à décider si la clause contestée du contrat est inéquitable dans toutes lescirconstances de l’espèce. VI. Conseils juridiques indépendants [15] Le point de départ de l’analyse se trouve à l’art. 43 de la Loi, puisque c’est la disposition législative qui a été invoquée dans l’avis de motion de Mme Bamford et que la juge saisie de la motion a appliquée afin d’annuler lecontrat domestique dans son ensemble. [16] Dans Kay c. Kay (1999), (NB CA), 215 R.N.-B. (2e) 291, [1999] A.N.-B.
no 289 (QL), le juge d’appel Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) a discuté de l’applicabilité de l’art. 41 de la Loi, qui portait sur lacontestation de contrats au motif que l’époux n’a pas reçu de conseils juridiques indépendants : [TRADUCTION]Il est établi en droit qu’un lourd fardeau de la preuve incombe au conjoint qui conteste la validité d’un contrat domestique. Il en est ainsiparce que le droit considère favorablement la certitude qui découle de la grande déférence accordée aux contrats domestiques. VoirToussaint c.
Toussaint (1982), (NB CA), 40 N.B.R. (2d) 541, 105 A.P.R. 541 (C.A.), le juge d’appel La Forest (telétait alors son titre). Cela étant dit, il arrive que la preuve soit telle que la cour manquerait à son devoir si elle n’écartait pas l’ententeécrite des parties. L’alinéa 41b) de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux précise les conditions qui doivent exister pour qu’une cour puisse, dans l’exercice despouvoirs que la loi lui confère, écarter une clause d’un contrat domestique. En vertu de cet alinéa, la cour ne peut exercer son pouvoirque si l’iniquité dans l’application de la clause contestée s’accompagne d’un des deux facteurs suivants : le contrat domestique doit avoirété conclu avant l’entrée en vigueur de la
partie III sans tenir compte de cette éventualité, ou il doit l’avoir été sans que le conjoint qui leconteste ait reçu des conseils juridiques indépendants. Dans ce contexte, l’iniquité est jugée selon les « circonstances en l’espèce ».[par. 34 et 35] [17] Dans le cas qui nous occupe, pour que la juge puisse exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire, elledoit conclure d’abord que le conjoint qui conteste la disposition du contrat n’a pas reçu de conseils juridiques indépendants, puis qu’ilserait inéquitable d’appliquer la disposition contestée eu égard aux circonstances de l’espèce.
Par conséquent, les questions qu’il faut seposer pour trancher le présent appel reposent sur l’application appropriée de l’al. 43b). Bien que le contrat domestique ait été annulé dans son ensemble, il semblerait que ce qui est contesté, c’est la disposition accordant à Mme Bamford des droits sur les [TRADUCTION]« biens acquis avant » le mariage ainsi que la renonciation d’intérêt dans B/A Realty Ltd. donnée en échange de la somme forfaitaire de50 000 $. [18] M.
Bamford reconnaît qu’il existe [TRADUCTION] « probablement suffisamment de preuvepour étayer la conclusion que l’avocat n’était pas suffisamment “indépendant” par rapport à l’appelant » (mémoire de l’appelant, au par. 91). Le manque d’indépendance du conseiller juridique de Mme Bamford découle du fait que cet avocat était l’avocat deM. Bamford – et il l’est toujours – en plus d’être son ami de longue date, et la juge saisie de la motion a tiré des conclusions de fait dans ce sens.
Par conséquent, il s’ensuit, comme l’a admis l’appelant, que les conseils juridiques fournis à Mme Bamford dans cescirconstances n’étaient pas indépendants. VII. Renonciation aux conseils juridiques indépendants [19] M. Bamford prétend que Mme Bamford a renoncé à son droit d’obtenir des conseils juridiquesindépendants. Je ne suis pas de cet avis. Le
chapitre 6 du Code de déontologie professionnelle du Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick envigueur à l’époque de la conclusion du contrat domestique par les Bamford ne permet pas à un avocat d’agir pour un client dans unesituation de conflit d’intérêts, sauf si certaines mesures ont été prises. Il s’agit d’un devoir positif qui incombe à l’avocat. Les dispositionscitées ci-après prescrivent à l’avocat de recommander que chacun soit représenté par un avocat indépendant et de révéler aux autres touterelation professionnelle préexistante avec l’une des parties, le cas échéant. L’avocat ne peut, non plus, tenir pour confidentiel à l’égarddes autres parties tout renseignement que lui communiquera une
partie au sujet de l’affaire. Somme toute, l’avocat ne peut continuerd’agir dans une situation de conflit d’intérêts que s’il y a eu divulgation complète eu égard aux circonstances et que s’il a obtenu leconsentement éclairé des parties. RULE The lawyer shall avoid all influences thatcompromise the duty of loyalty and theexercise of impartial and independentjudgment and action owed by the lawyer tothe client. COMMENTARY RÈGLE L’avocat évite toutes les influences qui ontpour effet de compromettre son devoir deloyauté et l’exercice de son jugementimpartial et indépendant de même que saliberté d’action auquel il est tenu à l’égarddu client. COMMENTAIRE
Acting for more than one client 1. (
a) In accordance with the Rule in this
chapter and subject to paragraph (
b) hereof the lawyer shall not act for more than one client in a matter where there is an actual, a potential or an apparent conflict of interest. (
b) The lawyer may act for more than one client in a matter where (
i) the lawyer has recommended in writing that each obtain independent legal representation, (ii) the lawyer has made adequate disclosure to them of all information pertaining to the matter that is in the possession of the lawyer, (iii) the lawyer has observed the provisions of Commentary 2(
a) in this chapter, and (iv) those not wishing to have other legal representation in the matter consent in writing that the lawyer act for them. (
c) Notwithstanding (
b) hereof the lawyer shall not act for more than one client in a matter where despite the fact that the clients concerned have consented to the lawyer so acting it is reasonably obvious that an issue is or will become contentious between or amongst them in the matter or that their interests, rights or obligations will diverge as the matter progresses. Disclosure by the lawyer 2. (
a) Before the lawyer accepts employment from more than one client in a matter the lawyer shall advise them that the lawyer has been asked to act for them; that no information received in connection with the matter from one can be treated as confidential as far as any of the others for whom the lawyer will act are concerned; and that, if a dispute develops between or amongst them that cannot be resolved, the lawyer cannot continue to act for them and must withdraw completely from the matter.
If one of them is a client with whom the lawyer has a continuing professional relationship and for whom the lawyer acts on a regular basis, this fact also shall be revealed by the lawyer to the others at the outset of the matter and the lawyer shall make the recommendation that the others obtain independent legal representation in the matter. If following all of the foregoing disclosures the clients are content that the lawyer act for them in the matter the lawyer shall obtain their written consents thereto. Représentation de plusieurs clients 1.
a) Conformément à la règle énoncée dans le présent
chapitre et sous réserve de l’alinéa b) qui suit, l’avocat ne peut occuper pour plus d’un client dans une affaire donnant lieu à un conflit d’intérêts réel, potentiel ou indéniable.
b) L’avocat peut représenter plus d’un client dans une affaire dans les cas suivants : (
i) il a recommandé par écrit que chacun soit représenté par un avocat indépendant, (ii) il leur a divulgué de façon suffisante toute l’information dont il dispose au sujet de l’affaire, (iii) il a respecté les dispositions du commentaire 2a) du présent chapitre, (iv) ceux qui ne désirent pas être représentés dans l’affaire par un autre avocat consentent par écrit à ce qu’il agisse pour eux.
c) Par dérogation à l’alinéa b) précédent, l’avocat ne peut représenter plus d’un client dans une affaire si, malgré le consentement des clients touchés, il est raisonnablement manifeste qu’un différend existe ou risque de surgir entre eux ou parmi eux dans l’affaire ou que leurs intérêts, leurs droits ou leurs obligations divergeront à mesure que l’affaire avancera . Divulgation par l’avocat 2.
a) Avant qu’il n’accepte de représenter plusieurs clients dans une affaire, l’avocat les avise que les autres clients lui ont demandé d’agir pour eux, qu’aucun des renseignements qui lui seront communiqués relativement à l’affaire ne saurait être tenu pour confidentiel à l’égard des autres clients qu’il représente et que si un conflit insoluble devait surgir entre eux, il ne pourra pas continuer à les représenter et se trouvera dans l’obligation de se désister complètement de l’affaire.
Si l’un d’eux est un client avec lequel l’avocat a une relation professionnelle stable et pour lequel il agit de façon régulière, il révèle ce fait aux autres dès le début de l’affaire et leur recommande de se faire représenter par un autre avocat. Si, malgré tout, les clients consentent à ce qu’il les représente, il obtiendra leurs consentements par écrit.
(
b) Notwithstanding (
a) hereof, theprovisions of Commentary 1 (
c) in thischapter shall apply, all necessary changeshaving been made, to the circumstancesenvisaged in (
a) hereof.
b) Par dérogation à l’alinéa a) précédent, lesdispositions du commentaire 1
c) du présentchapitre s’appliquent, avec les adaptationsnécessaires, aux circonstances envisagées àl’alinéa a) du présent article. [20] Rien dans les faits de la présente affaire n’étaye la conclusion que le choix de Mme Bamfordd’être représentée par cet avocat en particulier était entièrement éclairé et volontaire et qu’il a été exercé après qu’elle a obtenu ladivulgation. À mon sens, c’est le seul genre de consentement qui aurait pu permettre à cet avocat de continuer à donner des conseils à la fois à M.
Bamford et à Mme Bamford sans compromettre son obligation, prévue dans le Code, d’« évite[r] toutes les influences qui ontpour effet de compromettre son devoir de loyauté et l’exercice de son jugement impartial et indépendant ». Le fait d’avoir envoyéM. Bamford signer le contrat domestique devant un autre avocat ne corrige pas ce défaut de conformité. [21] La juge saisie de la motion a également conclu que Mme Bamford n’avait pas obtenu unedivulgation complète au sujet du contrat domestique. Par conséquent, en choisissant de continuer de se faire représenter par l’avocat deM.
Bamford, elle n’a pas obtenu de conseils juridiques indépendants pour l’aider à prendre sa décision de signer ou non le contratdomestique. Elle ne connaissait pas les conséquences que le conflit d’intérêts pouvait avoir en ce qui concerne le caractère exécutoire ducontrat dans son ensemble. [22] L’argument subsidiaire avancé par M. Bamford, la préclusion fondée sur la conduite, en est undont les tribunaux néo-brunswickois sont rarement saisis dans les affaires relevant du droit de la famille. Dans une affaire, Plourde c.
Plourde (1994), (NB KB), 151 R.N.-B. (2e) 20, [1994] A.N.-B. no 324 (C.B.R.) (QL), l’épouse effectuait encore despaiements envers les services juridiques qu’elle avait obtenus à l’égard de son divorce antérieur. Ayant entendu des [TRADUCTION] « histoires d’horreur » au sujet des méthodes de recouvrement de l’ancien avocat de Mme Plourde, les Plourde avaient peur que leurmaison ne fasse l’objet d’une saisie-exécution. M.
Plourde a donné à un différent avocat des directives en vue de la préparation d’un contrat domestique afin de soustraire leur maison de revendications possibles de l’ancien avocat de Mme Plourde et de son ancien mari.Entre autres avantages conférés à M. Plourde, le contrat prévoyait qu’il serait l’unique propriétaire du foyer. La juge Athey a conclu que chacune des parties avait reçu des conseils juridiques indépendants et elle a rejeté la contestation de Mme Plourde sur le fondement de ces moyens.
En réalité, la preuve indiquait que l’avocat de Mme Plourde lui avait expliqué le contrat [TRADUCTION] « clause par clause »et lui avait conseillé de ne pas le signer (par. 11). Cependant, les parties avaient géré leurs affaires financières comme si aucun contratdomestique n’existait, et ses dispositions n’étaient plus exécutoires. En concluant que M. Plourde ne pouvait invoquer les clauses ducontrat domestique, la juge Athey a donné l’explication suivante : [TRADUCTION] Au moment de la signature du contrat, il existait entre M.
Plourde et Mme Plourde une situation d’inégalité dans ce sens que Mme Plourde craignait que son ancien avocat ne « s’empare » de la maison pour obtenir le paiement des honoraires qu’elle lui devait etque M. Plourde l’a assurée qu’il fallait signer afin de soustraire la maison aux visées de l’avocat. Cependant, il m’est impossible deconclure qu’au moment de sa signature, ce contrat était également imprévoyant ou considérablement inéquitable étant donné qu’unegrosse
partie du prix d’achat de la maison avait été payée au moyen de fonds que M. Plourde avait accumulés avant de s’engager dans une relation avec Mme Plourde. Les parties ont mis en commun leurs ressources financières en plaçant leur argent dans un compte conjoint, et ce, avant et après lapassation du contrat. Elles ont grevé la maison d’une hypothèque en 1989 afin d’obtenir des fonds pour acheter un immeuble d’habitation à
titre de tenants conjoints. Mme Plourde a accepté que la maison soit hypothéquée alors même que son accord n’aurait pasdû être nécessaire puisqu’en vertu du contrat, elle avait renoncé à ses droits sur ce bien (voir l’art. 19 de la
Loi sur les biensmatrimoniaux). Elle a également signé l’hypothèque à
titre de caution. M. et Mme Plourde ont emprunté ensemble 30 000 $ pour acheter un véhicule Ford Bronco qui a été enregistré au seul nom deM. Plourde. Ils ont également obtenu un emprunt de 4 500 $ auprès de la Central Guaranty Trust Company pour apporter desaméliorations à la maison qui était enregistrée au seul nom de M. Plourde. Aussi bien avant qu’après la séparation, c’est le revenu delocation tiré de l’immeuble d’habitation qui leur appartenait conjointement qui a servi à effectuer les remboursements des empruntsrelatifs à la Ford Bronco et aux améliorations résidentielles.
En résumé, M. et Mme Plourde ont géré leurs affaires financières après la passation du contrat comme si aucun contrat ne les liait. Celaconfirme que les parties n’avaient pas l’intention de s’obliger. À mon avis, M. Plourde est donc préclus de se fonder sur ce contrat. Pources motifs, je conclus que le contrat domestique est inexécutoire. [par. 14 à 17] [23] Selon moi, la présente affaire est différente de l’affaire Plourde, puisque seul M. Bamford avéritablement reçu des conseils juridiques indépendants lorsqu’il a passé le contrat. [24] Dans le cas qui nous occupe, la juge saisie de la motion a conclu, à quelques reprises, queM. Bamford n’était pas une
partie innocente au contrat domestique en raison du fait qu’il n’avait pas divulgué ses renseignementsfinanciers et qu’il avait dissimulé ses intentions relativement au contrat. M. Bamford invoque HREIT Holdings 45 Corp. c. R.A.S. Food Services (Kenora) Inc., [2009] O.J. No. 506 (C. sup. Ont.) (QL), pour affirmer que soit Mme Bamford avait renoncé à la nécessitéd’obtenir des conseils juridiques indépendants, soit, par sa conduite, elle était précluse d’invoquer son choix d’avocat pour faire annulerle contrat domestique.
Cependant, à mon avis, l’affaire HREIT est différente de celle qui nous occupe en ce qu’elle se rapporte à descontrats commerciaux et à l’exploitation de grandes entités commerciales. [25] Les contrats domestiques sont distincts des contrats commerciaux. Dans Miglin c. Miglin, 2003CSC 24, [2003] 1 R.C.S. 303, la Cour suprême a expliqué que le cadre dans lequel sont conclus les contrats domestiques est unique et sedistingue de celui dans lequel sont conclus les contrats commerciaux.
Par conséquent, ils ne devraient pas être assujettis aux mêmesrègles et analyses : Les négociations dans le contexte juridique d’une séparation ou d’un divorce se déroulent dans un cadre particulier. Les auteurs et lespraticiens reconnaissent qu’il s’agit d’une période d’intenses bouleversements personnels et émotifs au cours de laquelle les parties, oul’une d’elles, peuvent se sentir particulièrement vulnérables.
Contrairement aux acteurs économiques émotivement neutres desnégociations commerciales, les couples qui divorcent apportent inévitablement à la table des négociations une multitude d’émotions et depréoccupations qui ne cadrent manifestement pas avec la prise de décisions économiques rationnelles. Payne et Payne soulignent : [TRADUCTION] Dans le scénario typique d’un divorce, les époux négocient le règlement de leurs affaires, souvent avec l’aided’avocats, dans une période où ils vivent encore le traumatisme émotif de l’échec de leur mariage.
Les époux qui n’ont pas accepté la finde leur mariage et qui se sentent coupables, déprimés ou en colère par suite de l’échec du mariage ne sont pas en mesure de prendre desdécisions à caractère permanent et exécutoire. (J. D. Payne et M. A. Payne, Dealing with Family Law: A Canadian Guide (1993), p. 78. Voir également Leopold c. Leopold (2000), (ON SC), 12 R.F.L. (5th) 118 (C.S. Ont.)) [par. 74] Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. VIII. « [I]néquitable dans toutes les circonstances de l’espèce » [26] Comme le prescrit l’art. 43 de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux, et comme il a été affirmé dansl’affaire Kay, l’iniquité est jugée selon les circonstances de l’espèce (par. 35). Il est bien établi que, lorsqu’il s’agit de contester la validité d’un contrat domestique, [TRADUCTION] « un lourd fardeau de la preuve incombe » à Mme Bamford : Kay, au par. 34. [27] En l’espèce, pour annuler le contrat dans son ensemble, la juge saisie de la motion a invoqué lanorme de la [TRADUCTION] « dérogation importante à l’objectif de partage égal de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux par rapport àl’ensemble des clauses de l’entente de séparation, en l’occurrence, le contrat domestique » (par. 64). Dans la décision Gillespie c. Borthwick, 2010 NBBR 331, 365 R.N.-B. (2e) 181, le juge Walsh a expliqué la norme ainsi : Lorsque je dis « par rapport à l’ensemble des clauses de l’entente de séparation », j’entends également les autres clauses qui ne prévoientpas la répartition de biens et de dettes. En d’autres termes, la dette matrimoniale en cause dans la présente affaire ne peut être envisagéedans l’abstrait ni, en fait, par rapport à la répartition des autres biens ou dettes seulement. Elle doit plutôt être considérée par rapport à
toutes les conditions de l’entente et dans le contexte de la vie des parties à cette époque. Pour étendre cette logique, la question qui sepose devient : l’entente de séparation est-elle devenue inéquitable en raison de la manière de répartir cette dette? [par. 43] [28] Malheureusement, en l’espèce, la preuve de la manière dont vivaient les parties à l’époque de laconclusion du contrat domestique ne fait pas
partie du dossier ni, par conséquent, de l’analyse de la juge saisie de la motion qui lui apermis de conclure que le contrat domestique était inéquitable dans son ensemble. L’analyse de la juge saisie de la motion à cet égard a traité essentiellement du fait que Mme Bamford ne comprenait pas le plein effet du contrat. En outre, elle n’avait pas reçu de divulgationfinancière, ce qu’a reconnu l’avocat qui a dressé le contrat. Pour ces motifs, la juge a conclu que le contrat était invalide.
Ce genred’imprévoyance conjugué à l’absence de conseils juridiques auraient également pu amener la cour à former l’opinion voulant qu’il soitinéquitable d’appliquer le contrat à la lumière de toutes les circonstances de l’espèce (voir Kay, aux par. 35 et 36). [29] L’étendue du pouvoir conféré à la Cour à l’alinéa 43b) est d’annuler « certaines dispositions »,plutôt que le contrat dans son ensemble. La question qu’il faut se poser est plutôt la suivante : L’application de la disposition contestée ensoi serait-elle inéquitable dans toutes les circonstances de l’espèce?
Il était loisible à la juge saisie de la motion d’examiner toutes lescirconstances de l’affaire; cependant, elle aurait dû fonder l’analyse qu’elle a effectuée conformément à l’art. 43 en mettant en balance ladisposition contestée et l’ensemble des clauses du contrat. IX. La juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur lorsqu’elle a permis que des points non plaidés dans l’avis de motion l’aidentà prendre sa décision [30] Dans son avis de motion, Mme Bamford demandait que le contrat domestique soit écarté envertu de l’art. 43 de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux. Il lui incombait de prouver qu’elle avait conclu le contrat sans avoir obtenu deconseils juridiques d’une personne indépendante du conseiller juridique de M. Bamford et que la disposition contestée était inéquitabledans toutes les circonstances de l’espèce. [31] M.
Bamford prétend que le fait que Mme Bamford invoque l’omission de lui divulguer lesrenseignements financiers pour indiquer un manque d’indépendance dans les conseils juridiques qui lui ont été donnés ainsi qu’un motifd’iniquité n’est pas un moyen qu’elle a plaidé directement. [32] Le règlement du présent appel ne porte pas directement sur la question des conseils juridiques indépendants. M. Bamford a reconnu que les conseils fournis à Mme Bamford n’étaient pas indépendants.
Dans l’affaire Kay, la Cour adit ce qui suit : L’alinéa 41b) est clair et il fait en sorte que la situation financière des parties au moment de l’exécution du contrat est pertinente pourl’examen de la validité de tout contrat domestique contesté. Tous les documents se rapportant à la situation financière de M. Kay au moment de l’exécution du contrat domestique sont pertinents pour déterminer si Mme Kay a reçu des conseils juridiques indépendants ets’il serait inéquitable que la cour applique les clauses du contrat.
Les deux questions doivent être examinées par la cour dans l’exercice de la compétence que lui accorde l’alinéa 41b) de la Loi, la disposition que Mme Kay a expressément mentionnée dans sa requête. [par. 36] [33] Pour ce qui est de l’examen de l’iniquité, le libellé même de l’art. 43 permet à la courd’examiner s’il y a iniquité dans « toutes les circonstances de l’espèce » et suppose un historique détaillé de la relation matrimoniale, ycompris toute période de cohabitation, la divulgation financière et les fonctions effectuées par les conjoints au cours du mariage. Il s’agitd’une analyse contextuelle.
Il s’ensuit qu’en l’absence de données probantes complètes, la juge ne pouvait trancher la question del’iniquité de l’arrangement comme l’exigeait l’arrêt Hartshorne c. Hartshorne, 2004 CSC 22, [2004] 1 R.C.S. 550. X. Dépens [34] Sous le régime de la règle 59, les dépens afférents à une instance sont à l’entière discrétion de laCour. Notre Cour ne peut intervenir en appel qu’en cas d’erreur manifeste dans l’exercice de ce pouvoir discrétionnaire (Williams et al. c. Saint John, New Brunswick and Chubb Industries Ltd. (1985), (NB CA), 66 R.N.-B. (2e) 10, [1985] A.N.-B. no 93(QL), au par. 65).
La règle 59.02 énonce certains facteurs que la cour peut prendre en considération lorsqu’elle accorde des dépens, ycompris tout autre facteur pertinent pour ce qui est de la question des dépens. En l’espèce, la juge saisie de la motion a accordé des dépens à Mme Bamford car elle a eu gain de cause dans sa motion, un facteur qui est pertinent pour ce qui est de la question des dépens.
Dans Acadia Marble, Tile & Terrazzo Ltd c. Oromocto Property Developments Ltd. (1998), (NB CA), 205 R.N.-B. (2e) 358, [1998] A.N.-B. no 412 (QL), notre Cour a dit que la règle générale veut que la
partie qui a eu gain de cause a droit à ses dépens(par. 35). Même si, à vrai dire, je ne confirmerais pas entièrement la décision rendue par la juge saisie de la motion, il ne fait aucun doute que, s’agissant de la motion, Mme Bamford a obtenu gain de cause en grande partie; par conséquent, je n’interviendrais pas dansl’adjudication des dépens faite par la juge saisie de la motion. XI.
Dispositif [35] À mon avis, la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur en annulant le contrat en entier.Elle ne disposait pas des données probantes susceptibles de lui permettre d’effectuer une analyse en bonne et due forme du contrat et ellea annulé celui-ci en se fondant sur des facteurs qui n’avaient pas été plaidés. La juge saisie de la motion ne disposait pas d’une preuvesuffisante, ni même des renseignements financiers qui lui auraient permis de décider qu’il ne fallait pas tenir compte d’une disposition ducontrat domestique parce qu’elle était « inéquitable dans toutes les circonstances ».
Les parties ne contestent pas la conclusion de la jugeconcernant l’absence de conseils juridiques indépendants et j’estime qu’elle n’a pas commis d’erreur à cet égard. En conséquence, iln’est pas nécessaire de se pencher à nouveau sur la question des conseils juridiques indépendants au cours d’autres audiences dans laprésente affaire.
J’ordonnerais la tenue d’une nouvelle audience devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, où seraitexaminée et tranchée uniquement la question de savoir si le contrat domestique, ou une disposition y afférente, est inéquitable, soit aumoyen de la poursuite de la motion, soit par voie de dépôt d’une requête. Finalement, puisque les parties ont obtenu gain de cause dansune mesure à peu près égale, j’ordonnerais que chacune assume ses propres dépens en appel.