2015 NBCA 50, 2015 NBCA 50
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 81-14-CA CANADIAN ASSOCIATION FOR FREE EXPRESSION (Intervenor) APPELLANT CANADIAN ASSOCIATION FOR FREE EXPRESSION (Intervenante) APPELANTE - and - - et - FRED GENE STREED, Executor of the Estate of HARRY ROBERT MCCORKILL (A.K.A.
MCCORKELL), deceased (Respondent), ISABELLE ROSE MCCORKILL (Applicant), CENTRE FOR ISRAEL AND JEWISH AFFAIRS (Intervenor), AND THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, as represented by THE ATTORNEY GENERAL (Intervenor) RESPONDENTS FRED GENE STREED, exécuteur de la SUCCESSION DE FEU HARRY ROBERT MCCORKILL (alias MCCORKELL) (Intimé), ISABELLE ROSE MCCORKILL (Demanderesse), CENTRE CONSULTATIF DES RELATIONS JUIVES ET ISRAÉLIENNES (Intervenant), PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, représentée par LE PROCUREUR GÉNÉRAL (Intervenante) INTIMÉS Canadian Association for Free Expression v.
Streed et al., 2015 NBCA 50 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Canadian Association for Free Expression c.
Streed et autres, 2015 NBCA 50 CORAM : l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 5, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 5 juin 2014 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2014 NBQB 148 Décision frappée d’appel : 2014 NBBR 148 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: June 18, 2015 Appel entendu : le 18 juin 2015 Judgment rendered: July 30, 2015 Jugement rendu : le 30 juillet 2015 Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Andy Wayne Lodge and Jean-Yves Bernard For the respondent Fred Gene Streed, Executor of the Estate of Harry Robert McCorkill (a.k.a. McCorkell) (deceased): John D. Hughes For the respondent Isabelle Rose McCorkill: Marc-Antoine Chiasson For the respondent Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs: Danys Delaquis and Lauren A. Cicin For the respondent Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Attorney General: Richard A.
Williams Avocats à l’audience: Pour l’appelante : Andy Wayne Lodge et Jean-Yves Bernard Pour l’intimé Fred Gene Streed, exécuteur de la succession de feu Harry Robert McCorkill (alias McCorkell) : John D. Hughes Pour l’intimée Isabelle Rose McCorkill : Marc-Antoine Chiasson Pour l’intimé Centre consultatif des relations juives et israéliennes : Danys Delaquis et Lauren A. Cicin Pour l’intimée Province du Nouveau-Brunswick représentée par le Procureur général : Richard A. Williams
THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,000 payable to each of the following respondents:
a) Isabelle Rose McCorkill;
b) Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs;
c) The Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Attorney General. No costs are ordered to be paid to Fred Gene Streed, Executor of the Estate of Harry Robert McCorkill (deceased). LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 000 $ payables à chacun des intimés suivants :
a) Isabelle Rose McCorkill;
b) Centre consultatif des relations juives et israéliennes;
c) Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Procureur général. La Cour n’accorde aucuns dépens à Fred Gene Streed, exécuteur de la succession de feu Harry Robert McCorkill. The judgment of the Court was delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] The application judge invalidated a residual bequest to the beneficiary, National Alliance. He made this determination on the basis that the purposes of the National Alliance, and the activities and communications it undertakes to promote its purposes, are illegal and contrary to the public policy of Canada and New Brunswick. The decision is reported at McCorkill v.
McCorkill Estate , 2014 NBQB 148 , 424 N.B.R. (2d) 21 . Having regard to the application judge’s comprehensive reasons and his determination that the bequest was void as against public policy, we can find no justification to interfere. We are in substantial agreement with the essential features of the carefully considered reasons of the application judge . [ 2 ] The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,000 payable to each of the following respondents:
a) Isabelle Rose McCorkill;
b) Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs;
c) The Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Attorney General. No costs are ordered to be paid to Fred Gene Streed, Executor of the Estate of Harry Robert McCorkill (deceased). ____________________________ ALEXANDRE DESCHÊNES, J.A. ____________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A.
____________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR [1] Le juge saisi de la requête a invalidé un legs résiduel fait à la bénéficiaire, National Alliance. Il a pris cette décision au motif que les objectifs de la National Alliance, de même que les activités et les communications qu’elle réalise dans le but de parvenir à ses objectifs, sont illégaux et contraires à l’ordre public du Canada et du Nouveau-Brunswick. La décision est publiée à McCorkill c. McCorkill (Succession) , 2014 NBBR 148 , 424 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 21 .
Compte tenu des motifs détaillés du juge saisi de la requête et de sa conclusion que le legs était nul puisqu’il était contraire à l’ordre public, nous ne voyons aucune raison d’intervenir dans sa décision. Nous souscrivons pour l’essentiel aux éléments essentiels des motifs soigneusement rédigés du juge saisi de la requête. [2] L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 000 $ payables à chacun des intimés suivants :
a) Isabelle Rose McCorkill
b) Centre consultatif des relations juives et israéliennes;
c) Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Procureur général. La Cour n’accorde aucuns dépens à Fred Gene Streed, exécuteur de la succession de feu Harry Robert McCorkill.