2018 NBCA 69, 2018 NBCA 69
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 56-18-CA HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN in Right of THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, as represented by the Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development APPELLANT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DE LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, représentée par le ministre de l’Éducation et du Développement de la petite enfance APPELANTE - and - - et - MARC HENRIE and NADINE ARSENAULT RESPONDENTS - and - CONSEIL D’ÉDUCATION DU DISTRICT SCOLAIRE FRANCOPHONE SUD RESPONDENT - and - CONSEIL D’ÉDUCATION DU DISTRICT SCOLAIRE FRANCOPHONE NORD-EST INTERVENOR MARC HENRIE et NADINE ARSENAULT INTIMÉS - et - CONSEIL D’ÉDUCATION DU DISTRICT SCOLAIRE FRANCOPHONE SUD INTIMÉ - et - CONSEIL D’ÉDUCATION DU DISTRICT SCOLAIRE FRANCOPHONE NORD-EST INTERVENANT Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development v.
Henrie et al., 2018 NBCA 69 Sa Majest é la reine du chef de la province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le ministre de l’Éducation et du Développement de la petite enfance c. Henrie et al., 2018 NBCA 69
CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 17, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 17 mai 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 190 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 190 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Appeal: [2018] N.B.J.
No. 181 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour d’appel : [2018] A.N.-B. no 181 Appeal heard: November 15, 2018 Appel entendu : le 15 novembre 2018 Judgment rendered: November 15, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 15 novembre 2018 Counsel at hearing: For the Appellant: Denis G. Thériault and Isabel Lavoie Daigle For the Respondents Marc Henrie and Nadine Arsenault: Basile Chiasson, Q.C. and André Daigle For the Respondent Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire Francophone sud school district Education Council: Christian E. Michaud, Q.C.
For the Intervenor Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire Francophone nord-est school district Education Council: Michel Doucet, Q.C Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Denis G. Thériault et Isabel Lavoie Daigle Pour les intimés Marc Henrie et Nadine Arsenault : Basile Chiasson, c.r., et André Daigle Pour l’intimé Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire francophone sud : Christian E. Michaud, c.r. Pour l’intervenant Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire francophone nord-est : Michel Doucet, c.r.
THE COURT The appeal is allowed. Reasons to follow. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli. Motifs à suivre. The following is the judgment delivered by / Le jugement suivant a été rendu par THE COURT (Orally) The appeal is allowed. Reasons to follow. LA COUR (oralement) L’appel est accueilli. Motifs à suivre.
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 56-18-CA HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, as represented by the Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development APPELLANT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DE LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, représentée par le ministre de l’Éducation et du Développement de la petite enfance APPELANTE - and - - et - MARC HENRIE and NADINE ARSENAULT RESPONDENTS MARC HENRIE et NADINE ARSENAULT INTIMÉS - and - - et -
FRANCOPHONE SUD DISTRICT EDUCATION COUNCIL RESPONDENT CONSEIL D’ÉDUCATION DU DISTRICT SCOLAIRE FRANCOPHONE SUD INTIMÉ - and - - et - FRANCOPHONE NORD-EST DISTRICT Education COUNCIL intervenOR Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire francophone nord-est intervenant Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick v. Henrie, Arsenault and Francophone sud District Education Council, 2018 NBCA 69 Sa Majesté la Reine du Chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Henrie, Arsenault et Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire francophone sud, 2018 NBCA 69 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 18, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 mai 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : Inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Motion heard: September 19, 2018 Motion entendue : le 19 septembre 2018 Decision rendered: September 19, 2018 Décision rendue : le 19 septembre 2018 Reasons delivered: November 1, 2018 Motifs publiés : le 1 er novembre 2018
Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Denis G. Thériault and Isabel Lavoie Daigle For the respondents Marc Henrie and Nadine Arsenault: Basile Chiasson, Q.C. For the respondent, francophone sud District Education Council: Simon-Pierre Godbout as agent for Christian E. Michaud, Q.C. For the intended friend of the court, Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick: Christine Côté Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Denis G. Thériault et Isabel Lavoie Daigle Pour les intimés Marc Henrie et Nadine Arsenault : Basile Chiasson, c.r. Pour l’intimé Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire francophone sud : Simon-Pierre Godbout à
titre de mandataire de Christian E. Michaud, c.r. Pour l’amie de la cour éventuelle La Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick: Christine Côté THE COURT The Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick has failed to show that it can provide arguments that would assist the court in disposing of the appeal. Therefore, leave to intervene as a friend of the court pursuant to Rule 15.03 of the Rules of Court is not granted. LA COUR La Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick n’ayant pas démontré qu’elle peut fournir une argumentation qui assisterait la cour à trancher l’appel, la permission d’intervenir à
titre d’amie de la cour en vertu de la Règle 15.03 des Règles de procédure ne lui est pas accordée. Motifs de la décision de la Cour rendus par LA COUR [ 1 ] L'appelant, le ministre de l’Éducation et du Développement de la petite enfance, interjette appel de la décision d'un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine qui déclare invalide sa décision « de fermer l'école Saint-Paul, et telle que prise au début avril 2016 ». Les intimés sont Marc Henrie, Nadine Arsenault et le Conseil d’éducation du district scolaire francophone sud. Le conseil d’éducation du district scolaire francophone nord-est a obtenu la permission d’intervenir à
titre de
partie en vertu de la règle 15.02. L'appel sera entendu en novembre. [ 2 ] La Société de l'Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick demande la permission d'intervenir dans l'instance à
titre d'amie de la cour en vertu de la règle 15.03 des Règles de procédure . Cette règle est libellée ainsi :
15.03 Leave to Intervene as Friend of the Court Any person may, with leave of the court or at the invitation of the court, and without becoming a party to the proceeding, intervene as a friend of the court for the purpose of rendering assistance to the court by way of argument. 15.03 Permission d’intervenir à
titre d’ami de la cour Toute personne peut, avec la permission ou à l’invitation de la cour et sans devenir partie, intervenir dans l’instance en vue d’assister la cour à
titre d’ami de la cour et d’y présenter une argumentation. [ 3 ] La SANB fait valoir qu'elle est en mesure de prêter assistance à la cour par une argumentation qui porterait notamment sur le par. 16.1(1) de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés . Voici le libellé de cette disposition : English and French linguistic communities in New Brunswick 16.1
(1) The English linguistic community and the French linguistic community in New Brunswick have equality of status and equal rights and privileges, including the right to distinct educational institutions and such distinct cultural institutions as are necessary for the preservation and promotion of those communities. Communautés linguistiques française et anglaise du Nouveau-Brunswick 16.1
(1) La communauté linguistique française et la communauté linguistique anglaise du Nouveau-Brunswick ont un statut et des droits et privilèges égaux, notamment le droit à des institutions d’enseignement distinctes et aux institutions culturelles distinctes nécessaires à leur protection et à leur promotion. [ 4 ] Après avoir entendu l'avocate de la SANB, nous avons rejeté la demande, séance tenante, avec brefs motifs à suivre.
Les voici. [ 5 ] La décision frappée d'appel est fondée « sur des principes habituels de droit administratif » et ne repose aucunement sur le par. 16.1(1) de la Charte ou toute autre disposition constitutionnelle. Le juge de première instance est on ne peut plus clair sur le sujet : Pour respecter les précisions et motifs ci-haut de la Cour d'appel, la presente cour, ne se prononcera donc pas sur tout argument ou recours qui exigerait quelque forme de déclaration de droits ou de reconnaissance de violations de ces droits et qui seraient à caractères constitutionnels.
Pour encore plus de clarifications, la présente décision ne prétend donc ni répondre ni traiter d'un quelconque recours constitutionnel et qui ne saurait être formulé que par la procédure d'action conventionnelle et qui exigerait que soit fait une preuve de contexte factuel complet. II n'est donc pas ici question pour cette cour de se prononcer sur la question à savoir si, au sens de l'
article 23 de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés ou en référence à toute autre base constitutionnelle de droits communautaires linguistiques, la communauté de Saint-Paul-de-Kent aurait présentement droit à une école francophone à l'intérieur de son territoire. Pour encore davantage de précisions, les présentes ne se veulent pas une analyse, non plus une détermination de la question à savoir si la communauté de Saint-Paul-de-Kent, a droit ou non (source constitutionnelle ou autres) à une école.
Il est ainsi ici (pardonnez la répétition) strictement question pour cette cour de répondre à une pure requête en droit administratif, voulant que la décision du Ministre d'annoncer la fermeture de l'École Saint-Paul-de-Kent, soit invalidée au sens des principes habituels de droit administratif.
Ces précisions étant faites, la présente décision va quand-même, à l'occasion, faire des références à l'
Article 23 de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés , mais, comme la chose sera évidente au lecteur, ces références se voudront limitées à un cadre d'analyse stricte aux principes de droit administratifs et dans le seul but de rappeler les positions adoptées par les acteurs en cause, au moment où le Ministre a pris la décision ici en cause. [par. 22-27] [Souligné dans l’original.] [ 6 ] Par ailleurs, les mémoires produits par les parties vident le débat sur les questions que le juge de première instance a abordées dans ses motifs. [ 7 ] Qui plus est, et comme c'était le cas dans The Coalition for Life and Health c.
Le docteur Henry Morgentaler et la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, 2005 NBCA 3 , 279 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 115 , le dossier donne à penser que les parties ont dégagé les questions pertinentes et réuni tous les arguments convaincants susceptibles d'appuyer leur thèse respective concernant la validité de la décision frappée d'appel. [ 8 ] Enfin, les parties sont représentées par des avocats chevronnés dans les domaines du droit administratif et des droits linguistiques. [ 9 ] Tout compte fait, la cour estime que l'intervention de la SANB ne l'assisterait pas dans la résolution des questions que soulève l'appel, directement ou indirectement. [ 10 ] Chaque
partie supportera ses propres frais. English version of the Court’s reasons for decision delivered by THE COURT [1] The appellant, the Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development, appeals the decision of a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench which rendered invalid the Minister’s decision [TRANSLATION] “to close École Saint-Paul, as taken at the beginning of April 2016.” The respondents are Marc Henrie, Nadine Arsenault and the Francophone sud District Education Council. The Francophone nord-est District Education Council was granted leave to intervene as a party pursuant to Rule 15.02.
The appeal will be heard in November. [2] The Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick (SANB) seeks leave to intervene in this proceeding as a friend of the court pursuant to Rule 15.03 of the Rules of Court . This rule provides as follows:
15.03 Leave to Intervene as Friend of the Court Any person may, with leave of the court or at the invitation of the court, and without becoming a party to the proceeding, intervene as a friend of the court for the purpose of rendering assistance to the court by way of argument. 15.03 Permission d’intervenir à
titre d’ami de la cour Toute personne peut, avec la permission ou à l’invitation de la cour et sans devenir partie, intervenir dans l’instance en vue d’assister la cour à
titre d’ami de la cour et d’y présenter une argumentation. [3] The SANB submits it can render assistance to the court by way of argument that would focus in particular on s. 16.1(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms . This provision reads as follows: English and French linguistic communities in New Brunswick 16.1
(1) The English linguistic community and the French linguistic community in New Brunswick have equality of status and equal rights and privileges, including the right to distinct educational institutions and such distinct cultural institutions as are necessary for the preservation and promotion of those communities.
Communautés linguistiques française et anglaise du Nouveau-Brunswick 16.1(1) La communauté linguistique française et la communauté linguistique anglaise du Nouveau-Brunswick ont un statut et des droits et privilèges égaux, notamment le droit à des institutions d’enseignement distinctes et aux institutions culturelles distinctes nécessaires à leur protection et à leur promotion. [4] After hearing counsel for the SANB, we dismissed the motion from the bench, with brief reasons to follow.
Here are those reasons. [5] The decision under appeal is based [TRANSLATION] “on the usual principles of administrative law” and is not in any way based on s. 16.1(1) of the Charter or any other constitutional provision. The judge in first instance is clear in this regard: [TRANSLATION] In compliance with the above explanations and reasons of the Court of Appeal, this Court will therefore not rule on any argument or challenge that would require some sort of affirmation of rights or acknowledgment that those rights had been infringed upon and that would be constitutional in nature.
To be even clearer, this decision does not purport to answer or deal with any constitutional challenge that could only be dealt with within the procedural confines of a conventional action and which would require proof of the complete factual background. It is therefore not for this court to decide on the issue of whether, under s. 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms , or any other constitutional provision that touches upon the rights of linguistic communities, the community of Saint-Paul-de-Kent would at present have a right to a francophone school within its territory.
To be even more specific, the present case is not intended to be an analysis or a determination of the issue of whether or not the community of Saint-Paul-de-Kent has the right (constitutionally or otherwise) to their own school. Thus, the issue in this case (pardon the repetition) is for this court to rule solely on a pure application in administrative law, which seeks to invalidate, within the meaning of the usual principles of administrative law, the Minister’s decision to announce the closure of École Saint-Paul-de-Kent.
Having provided these explanations, this decision will still, on occasion, refer to s. 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms .
However, as it will be clear to the reader, these references will be limited to a narrow analytical framework of administrative law principles, the sole purpose being to reiterate the positions of the actors involved at the time the Minister took the decision at issue here. [paras. 22-27] [Underlining in the original.] [6] Furthermore, the submissions filed by the parties address exhaustively the issues the trial judge dealt with in his reasons. [7] Moreover, and as was the case in The Coalition for Life and Health v. Dr.
Henry Morgentaler and the Province of New Brunswick , 2005 NBCA 3 , 279 N.B.R. (2d) 115 , the record suggests the parties have identified the relevant issues and marshalled all cogent arguments in support of their respective positions regarding the sustainability of the decision under appeal. [8] Finally, the parties are represented by lawyers who are experienced in the fields of administrative law and language rights. [9] All things considered, the court finds the SANB’s intervention would not assist the court in resolving the issues that are raised by the appeal, either directly or indirectly. [10] Each party shall bear their own costs.