2022 NBCA 61, 2022 NBCA 61
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 36-22-CA NORMAND GODBOUT APPELLANT NORMAND GODBOUT APPELANT - and - - et - HIS MAJESTY THE KING RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LE ROI INTIMÉ Godbout v. R., 2022 NBCA 61 Godbout c.
R., 2022 NBCA 61 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 8, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 8 avril 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: September 13, 2022 Appel entendu : le 13 septembre 2022 Judgment rendered: October 20, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 20 octobre 2022
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Drapeau Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: No one appeared for the applicant For the respondent: Damien Lahiton Avocats à l’audience : Personne n’a comparu pour le requérant.
Pour l’intimé : Damien Lahiton THE COURT The sentence imposed in first instance for conspiracy to traffic in cocaine (imprisonment for seven years, less credit for time spent in pre- sentence custody) is not the result of an error of law or principle, nor is it demonstrably unfit. Moreover, the appeal contemplated by the application for leave to appeal sentence has no reasonable prospect of success. The application is accordingly dismissed.
LA COUR La peine infligée en première instance pour complot en vue de faire le trafic de cocaïne (emprisonnement pour sept ans, moins une réduction pour tenir compte de la période en détention présentencielle) n’est pas le résultat d’une erreur de droit ou de principe, et elle n’est pas manifestement non indiquée. Qui plus est, l’appel envisagé par la demande d’autorisation d’appel de la sentence n’a pas de chance raisonnable d’être accueilli. La demande est donc rejetée. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE DRAPEAU I.
Introduction [ 1 ] Normand Godbout sollicite l’autorisation d’interjeter appel d’une peine de sept ans (moins 401 jours en détention présentencielle) qui lui a été infligée pour l’infraction de complot en vue de faire le trafic de cocaïne (l’ al. 465(1)
c) du Code criminel et le par. 5(1) de la Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances , L.C. 1996, ch. 19 ). En infligeant cette peine, le juge a pris acte notamment de ses conclusions en ce qui concerne l’importance du rôle de M. Godbout dans le réseau de trafic visé par l’acte d’accusation. Ces conclusions ont été tirées au terme d’une audience sur la détermination de la peine au cours de laquelle M. Godbout a témoigné dans le but de banaliser son rôle, témoignage que le juge a rejeté. [ 2 ] M. Godbout n’a pas comparu à l’audience de son appel. Toutefois, il soutient dans son avis
d’appel que la peine qui lui a été infligée est excessive et qu’elle devrait être réduite à cinq ans et demi (moins une réduction appropriée pour la période en détention présentencielle). Comme nous le verrons, il s’agit de la peine que les procureurs auraient recommandée au juge si M. Godbout ne s’y était pas formellement opposé. [ 3 ] Avec égard, je ne partage pas l’avis que la peine est excessive et, pour les motifs qui suivent, j’estime qu’il est invraisemblable que l’appel proposé soit accueilli. Cela étant, je rejetterais la demande d’autorisation d’appel (voir Frigault c.
R. , 2022 NBCA 32 , [2022] A.N.-B. n o 149 (QL) , au par. 4 ). II. Contexte [ 4 ] Le 8 janvier 2021, M. Godbout plaide coupable à l’infraction détaillée au premier des quatre chefs de l’acte d’accusation, soit celui d’avoir comploté, entre le 23 juillet 2015 et le 30 décembre 2017 et à divers endroits au Nouveau- Brunswick, de faire le trafic de cocaïne, une substance inscrite à l’Annexe I de la Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances .
Quatre jours de procès se sont déjà écoulés, durant lesquels 24 témoins à charge, y compris l’un des présumés conspirateurs (« témoin délateur »), ont été entendus. [ 5 ] Après avoir confirmé les éléments essentiels de l’infraction en cause et s’être assuré que les conditions énoncées à l’ art. 606 du Code criminel étaient remplies, le juge du procès accepte le plaidoyer de culpabilité, ordonne la préparation d’un rapport présentenciel et remet l’audience sur la peine après avoir été avisé que les parties entendent faire une recommandation conjointe à cet égard.
Un arrêt des procédures est inscrit pour les trois autres chefs d’accusation dont l’instruction avait été interrompue. [ 6 ] L’audience sur la détermination de la peine commence le 16 juillet 2021. Les avocats s’apprêtent à faire, tel que convenu, une recommandation conjointe d’emprisonnement pour cinq ans et demi (moins une réduction pour la période en détention présentencielle) lorsque M.
Godbout décide de contester les faits énoncés dans le mémoire de la poursuite et demande la permission de retirer son plaidoyer de culpabilité, répudiant ainsi l’entente entre les parties. [ 7 ] Le juge fait remarquer que, si M. Godbout maintient sa répudiation de l’entente, il sera loisible à la poursuite de demander une peine plus sévère que celle envisagée par la recommandation conjointe. Le juge souligne également que la tenue d’un procès éliminera un facteur atténuant, soit le plaidoyer de culpabilité. M. Godbout affirme comprendre tout cela et vouloir revenir sur son plaidoyer. L’avocat de M.
Godbout se retire du dossier et l’affaire est reportée pour permettre à ce dernier de présenter une requête en autorisation de retrait de plaidoyer. [ 8 ] L’audience reprend le 13 septembre 2021. M. Godbout est représenté par une nouvelle avocate. Il abandonne sa demande de retrait de son plaidoyer de culpabilité et confirme que, quoiqu’il conteste les allégations de la poursuite lui prêtant un rôle primordial dans le complot visé par l’accusation en cause, les faits qui y sont allégués ne sont pas niés.
Vu le manque d’entente sur tous les faits pertinents, le juge ordonne la tenue d’une audience pour déterminer les faits contestés. [ 9 ] Le 1 er février 2022, M. Godbout congédie son avocate. II veut se représenter lui-même et demande la radiation du mémoire qu’elle a déposé à l’appui de sa prétention qu’une peine de quatre ans (moins une réduction appropriée pour la détention présentencielle) serait juste. M. Godbout entend faire valoir qu’une peine beaucoup plus clémente devrait être infligée. Le juge fait droit à la demande en radiation de M.
Godbout, et l’audience sur la détermination de la peine commence. [ 10 ] À l’audience, le témoin délateur reconnait sa participation au complot, confirme qu’il fournissait régulièrement des kilos de cocaïne à M. Godbout et qu’ils étaient impliqués dans le trafic de cocaïne depuis 2002. De surcroît, il attribue à M. Godbout un poste élevé dans la hiérarchie organisationnelle du réseau de distribution en question. [ 11 ] M. Godbout choisit de témoigner. Il contredit les affirmations accablantes du témoin délateur et
s’évertue à tenter de minimiser son implication dans le réseau et l’opération de trafic. [12] Au terme de l’audience, M. Godbout demande au juge de statuer que, compte tenu du tempspassé en détention présentencielle, une peine carcérale additionnelle n’est pas justifiée. Pour sa part, la poursuite soutient qu’une peinede huit ans d’emprisonnement (moins une réduction appropriée pour le temps en détention présentencielle) est indiquée. [13] Le 8 avril 2022, le juge tranche. Il rejette le témoignage de M. Godbout portant que sonimplication dans le complot était minimale, et il conclut que M.
Godbout « était un trafiquant de cocaïne, de niveau moyen à élevé, quiachetait de la cocaïne par kilos […] et revendait cette cocaïne dans son territoire, qui s’étendait de Grand-Sault à Fredericton ». Lapreuve du témoin délateur indique que M.
Godbout achetait mensuellement des kilos de cocaïne à 90% pure au coût de 64 000 $ l’unité.Par ailleurs, le juge constate que les autres conspirateurs nommés dans l’acte d’accusation ont écopé de peines d’emprisonnement allantde 4 à 12 ans, selon l’importance de leur rôle et conformément à des recommandations conjointes. [14] Les facteurs suivants sont particulièrement pertinents selon le juge : le rôle relativementimportant de M.
Godbout dans le réseau de distribution de la cocaïne, les objectifs du prononcé de la peine, les principes qui jouent dansla détermination de toute peine, la primauté qu’il convient d’accorder à la dénonciation et à la dissuasion tant générale que spécifiquedans une affaire comme celle-ci et les peines infligées aux autres conspirateurs. Le juge fait remarquer que : (1) l’implication duconspirateur condamné à une peine brute de 12 ans d’emprisonnement était plus importante et qu’il était responsable de la distribution dequantités de cocaïne beaucoup plus considérables que M.
Godbout ; et (2) le rôle de celui qui avait été écroué pour quatre ans (moins lapériode en détention présentencielle) se limitait à faire des livraisons pour le compte d’un autre conspirateur. [15] Le juge ne relève qu’un seul facteur atténuant, soit le plaidoyer de culpabilité. Aucun autre n’aété porté à notre attention. [16] Au terme d’une analyse exhaustive de la preuve et du droit afférent, le juge inflige une peine desept ans d’emprisonnement qu’il réduit pour tenir compte de la période en détention provisoire, soit une peine nette de cinq ans, 10 moiset 24 jours. [17] Dans son avis d’appel, M.
Godbout se plaint du manque de compétence de l’avocate qui l’areprésenté dans le cadre du processus préalable à l’audience sur la détermination de la peine, au début de laquelle, rappelons-le, il l’avaitcongédiée. À mon avis, le dossier démontre que cette plainte est injustifiée. Il n’est donc guère étonnant que M. Godbout l’ait retiréeavant l’audience en appel. [18] Au final, M. Godbout met en cause la durée de la peine brute (sept ans) qui lui a été infligée.
Ilsoutient qu’elle est déraisonnablement longue et qu’elle devrait être réduite à cinq ans et demi, soit la peine envisagée par larecommandation que son avocat et le substitut du procureur général avaient convenu de faire à l’audience sur la peine en premièreinstance et que M. Godbout a répudiée. [19] Il n’y a pas de demande d’autorisation d’appel reconventionnel. L’intimé soutient toutsimplement que la demande de M. Godbout est dénuée de fondement et que, par voie de conséquence, elle devrait être rejetée. III.
Analyse et décision [20] Lorsque le juge de première instance ne commet ni une erreur de droit, ni une erreur de principe,la cour d’appel ne peut modifier la peine que si elle est manifestement non indiquée : R. c. Lacasse, 2015 CSC 64, [2015] 3 R.C.S 1089, au par. 11. Cette norme de contrôle, qui a été confirmée, pour l’essentiel, dans l’arrêt R. c. Parranto, 2021 CSC 46, [2021] A.C.S. no 46(QL), est conforme à celle que la Cour applique fidèlement depuis au moins 1998. (Voir, entre autres arrêts, R. c. R.K.J. (1998), (NB CA), 207 R.N.-B. (2e) 24, [1998] A.N.-B. no 483 (C.A.) (QL), Steeves c.
R., 2010 NBCA 57, [2010] A.N.-B. no 265 (QL), et Agnew c. R., 2022 NBCA 43, [2022] A.N.-B. no 181 (QL), le juge Green pour la Cour). [21] Il y a erreur de droit enjoignant à la cour d’appel d’intervenir lorsque la peine ne s’inscrit pas« dans les limites déterminées par la loi » : Lacasse, au par. 39, et Steeves, au par. 22. Dans l’affaire R.K.J., au par. 13, la Cour a suggéréque le juge de la peine commet également une erreur de droit lorsqu’il interprète mal la preuve ou fait erreur dans l’application desprécédents pertinents. Certains y verraient des erreurs de principe.
Quoiqu’il en soit, en l’espèce, la peine infligée est autorisée par la loi
et le juge n’a pas mal interprété la preuve ou les précédents évoqués à l’appui du dispositif qu’il a privilégié. [ 22 ] Par ailleurs, il y a erreur de principe justifiant l’intervention en appel lorsque le juge de première instance a mal interprété ou n’a pas tenu compte des principes énoncés à la
Partie XXIII du Code Criminel (« Détermination de la peine ») et que l’erreur en question a eu une incidence sur la détermination de la peine : Lacasse , au par. 44 . En l’espèce, le juge n’a commis aucune erreur de principe pouvant justifier notre intervention. À cet égard, je m’empresse de confirmer que, compte tenu de sa répudiation par M. Godbout, l’entente qui prévoyait une recommandation conjointe en faveur d’une peine brute de cinq ans et demi a cessé d’être un facteur d’influence.
C’est donc à bon droit que le juge n’en a pas tenu compte. [ 23 ] Cela dit, même si la peine infligée n’est pas le résultat d’une erreur de droit ou de principe, la cour d’appel doit intervenir lorsqu’elle est « manifestement non indiquée » : Lacasse , au par. 52 . Ce seuil est très élevé. Le juge de première instance « a notamment l’avantage d’entendre et de voir les témoins » et cet avantage fait qu’il « est le mieux placé pour déterminer, eu égard aux circonstances, la peine juste et appropriée conformément aux objectifs et aux principes énoncés au Code criminel à cet égard. » : Lacasse , au par. 11 .
Il faut donc accorder au juge une grande latitude dans la détermination de la peine. [ 24 ] Au regard de l’effet cumulatif des éléments suivants, j’estime que la peine infligée en première instance n’est pas manifestement non indiquée : (1) la peine maximale pour l’infraction en cause est l’emprisonnement à perpétuité ; (2) la dénonciation et la dissuasion, tant générale que spécifique, doivent être favorisées dans l’infliction de peines pour ce type d’infraction (voir R. c. Frost , 2012 NBCA 94 , [2012] A.N.-B. n o 393 (QL) , au par. 16 , la juge Quigg au nom de la Cour ;
(3) M. Godbout, 64, est un délinquant d’âge mûr avec un casier judiciaire qui comporte des antécédents reliés au trafic de la drogue ; (4) s’il est vrai que ces antécédents remontent à la fin des années 90 et que le juge a cru bon de ne pas leur donner une quelconque importance, il convient de signaler que l’une de ces infractions a entraîné une peine d’emprisonnement de 30 mois. M. Godbout savait donc pertinemment qu’il risquait une peine carcérale de longue durée en s’adonnant au trafic de la cocaïne ciblé par l’acte d’accusation ; (5) le témoin délateur, qui vendait de la cocaïne par kilo à M.
Godbout, a affirmé que les deux étaient associés au trafic de la cocaïne depuis 2002, soit peu de temps après la dernière sortie de prison de M. Godbout ; (6) le dossier en l’espèce révèle une opération de trafic à l’échelle provinciale et de longue durée ;
(7) M. Godbout occupait un poste moyen à élevé dans la hiérarchie du réseau de distribution au Nouveau-Brunswick et il a joué un rôle primordial dans le succès prolongé de l’opération de trafic ; (8) il s’agit de cocaïne ; (9) le trafic qui a résulté du complot visé à l’acte d’accusation impliquait des sommes importantes d’argent (64 000 $ du kilo et, en moyenne, 128 000 $ par mois);
(10) M. Godbout achetait et revendait régulièrement deux kilos par mois; (11) les peines carcérales infligées aux autres conspirateurs (voir R. c. Martin , 2021 NBBR 223 , [2021] A.N.-B. n o 255 (QL) ); et (12) les facteurs énoncés dans le rapport présentenciel qui, selon l’auteur, contribuent aux risques de récidive par M.
Godbout, notamment « ses connaissances procriminelles, ainsi que sa consommation occasionnelle de substances ». [ 25 ] Force m’est de constater que la peine infligée reflète une application raisonnable du principe fondamental de la proportionnalité énoncé à l’ art. 718.1 du Code criminel (voir Lacasse , aux par. 52 à 55 ). En définitive, je suis de l’avis que, compte tenu de la norme de contrôle applicable et des éléments recensés ci-dessus, l’intervention de la Cour est inappropriée. IV.
Conclusion et dispositif [ 26 ] La peine infligée en première instance ne résulte pas d’une erreur de droit ou de principe et elle n’est pas manifestement non indiquée. L’appel proposé n’a aucune chance raisonnable de succès. Cela étant, je rejetterais la demande en autorisation d’appel. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by DRAPEAU, J.A. I. Introduction [1] Normand Godbout seeks leave to appeal a sentence of seven years (less 401 days’ credit for time spent in pre-sentence custody) that was imposed on him for the offence of conspiracy to traffic in cocaine ( s. 465(1) (
c) of the
Criminal Code and s. 5(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act , S.C. 1996, c. 19 ). In imposing this sentence, the judge acted upon his findings with respect to the significant role played by Mr. Godbout in the trafficking network covered by the indictment. These findings were made following a sentencing hearing at which Mr. Godbout testified in an attempt to trivialize his role. The judge rejected this testimony. [2] Mr. Godbout did not appear at the hearing of his appeal.
However, he submits in his Notice of Appeal that the sentence imposed on him is excessive and should be reduced to five and a half years (less an appropriate credit for time spent in pre-sentence custody). As we shall see, this is the sentence that counsel would have recommended to the judge had Mr. Godbout not formally objected to it. [3] With respect, I do not agree the sentence is excessive and, for the reasons that follow, I find the proposed appeal has no reasonable prospect of success. Accordingly, I would dismiss the application for leave to appeal ( see Frigault v. R. , 2022 NBCA 32 , [2022] N.B.J.
No. 149 (QL) , at para. 4 ). II. Context [4] On January 8, 2021, Mr. Godbout pled guilty to the offence described in detail in the first of four counts in the indictment, namely conspiracy, between July 23, 2015, and December 30, 2017, and at various locations in New Brunswick, to traffic in cocaine, a substance included in
Schedule I of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act . There had already been four days of trial during which 24 prosecution witnesses, including one of the alleged conspirators (“informant witness”), had been heard. [5] After confirming the essential elements of the offence charged and ascertaining the conditions set out in s. 606 of the Criminal Code were met, the trial judge accepted the guilty plea, ordered a pre-sentence report be prepared, and postponed the sentencing hearing after being advised the parties intended to make a joint recommendation on sentence.
The remaining three counts for which trial had been interrupted were stayed. [6] The sentencing hearing commenced on July 16, 2021. Counsel were about to make a joint recommendation of five and a half years’ imprisonment (less credit for time spent in pre-sentence custody) as agreed, when Mr. Godbout decided to dispute the facts set out in the prosecution brief and sought leave to withdraw his guilty plea, thereby repudiating the agreement between the parties. [7] The judge noted that, if Mr.
Godbout maintained his repudiation of the agreement, the prosecution would be at liberty to seek a harsher sentence than the one contemplated by the joint recommendation. The judge also pointed out that a trial would eliminate a mitigating factor: the guilty plea. Mr. Godbout stated he understood all of that and wanted to withdraw his plea. Mr. Godbout’s counsel withdrew from the case and the matter was adjourned to allow Mr. Godbout to apply for leave to withdraw his plea. [8] The hearing resumed on September 13, 2021. Mr. Godbout was represented by a new counsel.
He abandoned his application to withdraw his guilty plea and confirmed that, although he disputed the prosecution’s allegation that he played a leading role in the conspiracy covered by the charge, the facts therein alleged were not denied. Given the lack of agreement on all the relevant facts, the judge ordered that a hearing be held to determine the facts in dispute. [9] On February 1, 2022, Mr. Godbout dismissed his counsel.
He wanted to represent himself and sought to strike out the brief that she had filed in support of her submission that a sentence of four years (less an appropriate credit for time spent in pre-sentence custody) would be fair. Mr. Godbout intended to argue a much more lenient sentence should be imposed. The judge granted Mr. Godbout’s application to strike, and the sentencing hearing commenced. [10] At the hearing, the informant witness acknowledged his participation in the conspiracy, confirmed he regularly supplied kilos of cocaine to Mr.
Godbout and that they had been involved in cocaine trafficking since 2002. Furthermore, he asserted Mr. Godbout held a high-ranking position in the organizational hierarchy of the distribution network. [11] Mr. Godbout chose to testify. He contradicted the damning statements of the informant witness and did his utmost to minimize his involvement in the network and trafficking operation.
[12] At the close of the hearing, Mr. Godbout asked the judge to rule that, given the time spent inpre-sentence custody, a further prison sentence was unwarranted. In contrast, the prosecution submitted a sentence of eight years’imprisonment (less an appropriate credit for time spent in pre-sentence custody) was fit. [13] On April 8, 2022, the judge ruled. He rejected Mr. Godbout’s testimony that his involvement inthe conspiracy was minimal and held Mr.
Godbout [TRANSLATION] “was a mid to high level cocaine trafficker who purchasedcocaine by the kilo […] and resold it in his territory, which extended from Grand Falls to Fredericton.” It was the evidence of theinformant witness that Mr. Godbout bought kilograms of 90% pure cocaine monthly at $64,000 per kilogram. In addition, the judgenoted the other conspirators named in the indictment received prison terms ranging from 4 to 12 years, based on the extent of theirinvolvement and pursuant to joint recommendations. [14] In the judge’s view, the following factors were particularly relevant: Mr.
Godbout’s relativelysignificant role in the cocaine distribution network, the purposes of sentencing, the principles at play in any sentencing, the primacy to beafforded to denunciation and deterrence, both general and specific, in a case such as this one, and the sentences imposed on otherconspirators. The judge noted that: (1) the involvement of the conspirator sentenced to 12 years gross was greater and he was responsiblefor the distribution of much larger quantities of cocaine than Mr.
Godbout; and (2) the role of the individual sentenced to four years (lesstime spent in pre-sentence custody) was limited to making deliveries on behalf of another conspirator. [15] The judge identified only one mitigating factor, namely the guilty plea. No other mitigatingfactor was brought to our attention. [16] Following a thorough analysis of the evidence and the applicable law, the judge imposed asentence of seven years’ imprisonment, which he reduced to reflect time spent in pre-sentence custody, for a net sentence of five years,10 months and 24 days. [17] In his Notice of Appeal, Mr.
Godbout complains of the incompetence of the counsel whorepresented him in the process preceding the sentencing hearing, at the beginning of which, it should be recalled, he had dismissed her.In my view, the record establishes this complaint is unfounded. It then comes as no surprise that Mr. Godbout withdrew it before theappeal hearing. [18] Ultimately, Mr. Godbout calls into question the length of the gross sentence (seven years) thatwas imposed on him.
He argues it is unreasonably long and should be reduced to five and a half years, which is the sentencecontemplated by the recommendation that his counsel and the Crown Prosecutor agreed to make at the sentencing hearing in the courtbelow and which Mr. Godbout had repudiated. [19] There is no application for leave to cross-appeal. The respondent simply submits Mr. Godbout’sapplication is without merit and should therefore be dismissed. III.
Analysis and Decision [20] Except where the trial judge makes an error of law or an error in principle, an appellate courtmay not vary a sentence unless it is demonstrably unfit: R. v. Lacasse, 2015 SCC 64, [2015] 3 S.C.R. 1089, at para. 11. This standard ofreview, which was substantially affirmed in R. v. Parranto, 2021 SCC 46, [2021] S.C.J. No. 46 (QL), is consistent with the standard thatthis Court has faithfully applied since at least 1998. (See, inter alia, R. v. R.K.J. (1998), (NB CA), 207 N.B.R. (2d)24, [1998] N.B.J. No. 483 (C.A.) (QL), Steeves v. R., 2010 NBCA 57, [2010] N.B.J. No. 265 (QL), and Agnew v.
R., 2022 NBCA 43,[2022] N.B.J. No. 181 (QL), Green, J.A. for the Court). [21] There is an error of law requiring appellate intervention where the sentence is not “within thelimits established by law”: Lacasse, at para. 39, and Steeves, at para. 22. In R.K.J., at paragraph 13, the Court suggested a sentencingjudge also errs in law if he or she misapprehends the evidence or misapplies relevant judicial precedents. Some would view these aserrors in principle.
In any event, in this case, the sentence imposed is authorized by law and the judge did not misapprehend the evidencenor misapply the judicial precedents that he invoked in support of the disposition he settled upon.
[22] Moreover, there is an error in principle warranting appellate intervention where the trial judge misapprehends or disregards the principles set out in
Part XXIII of the Criminal Code (“ Sentencing ”) and the error in question has an impact on the sentence: Lacasse , at para. 44 . In this case, the judge made no error in principle that would warrant our intervention. In this regard, I hasten to confirm that, in light of its repudiation by Mr. Godbout, the agreement which provided for a joint recommendation for a gross sentence of five and a half years ceased to have any effect.
Accordingly, the judge correctly disregarded it. [23] That said, even if the sentence imposed is not the result of an error of law or principle, the Court of Appeal must intervene where it is “demonstrably unfit”: Lacasse , at para. 52 . This is a very high threshold.
The trial judge has, “ inter alia , the advantage of having heard and seen the witnesses” and this advantage puts the judge “in the best position to determine, having regard to the circumstances, a just and appropriate sentence that is consistent with the objectives and principles set out in the Criminal Code in this regard.”: Lacasse , at para. 11 .
Accordingly, in matters of sentencing, the judge must be given a wide latitude. [24] Having regard to the cumulative effect of the following factors, I find the sentence imposed at trial is not demonstrably unfit: (1) the maximum penalty for the offence in question is life imprisonment; (2) denunciation and deterrence, both general and specific, should be fostered in sentencing for this type of offence ( see R. v. Frost , 2012 NBCA 94 , [2012] N.B.J. No. 393 (QL) , at para. 16 , Quigg, J.A. for the Court;
(3) Mr. Godbout, 64, is a mature offender with a criminal record that includes a history of drug trafficking; (4) while it is true that this record dates back to the late 1990s and that the judge saw fit not to attach any significance to it, it is worth noting that one of these offences resulted in a 30-month prison sentence. Mr. Godbout was therefore fully aware that he was liable to receive a long prison sentence for engaging in the cocaine trafficking covered by the indictment; (5) the informant witness, who sold cocaine to Mr.
Godbout by the kilo, testified that the two had been involved in cocaine trafficking since 2002, shortly after Mr. Godbout’s last release from prison; (6) the record in this case shows a long-running, province- wide trafficking operation;
(7) Mr. Godbout held a mid to high-level position in the hierarchy of the distribution network in New Brunswick and he played a leading role in the sustained success of the trafficking operation; (8) this is cocaine; (9) the trafficking operation resulting from the conspiracy which is the subject of the indictment involved substantial sums of money ($64,000 per kilogram and, on average, $128,000 per month);
(10) Mr. Godbout regularly bought and sold two kilograms per month; (11) the prison sentences imposed on the other conspirators ( see R. v. Martin , 2021 NBQB 223 , [2021] N.B.J. No. 255 (QL) ); and (12) the factors set out in the pre-sentence report that, in the opinion of the author, contribute to Mr.
Godbout’s risk of reoffending, including [TRANSLATION] “his pro-criminal knowledge, as well as his occasional use of substances.” [25] I can only conclude the sentence imposed reflects a reasonable application of the fundamental principle of proportionality set out in s. 718.1 of the Criminal Code ( see Lacasse , at paras. 52-55 ). In the result, I am of the opinion that, given the applicable standard of review and the factors identified above, intervention by the Court is inappropriate. IV .
Conclusion and Disposition [26] The sentence imposed in first instance is neither the result of an error of law or principle, nor demonstrably unfit. The proposed appeal has no reasonable prospect of success. Accordingly, I would dismiss the application for leave to appeal.