2019 NBCA 44, 2019 NBCA 44
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 97-18-CA SERGE BABIN APPELLANT SERGE BABIN APPELANT - and - - et - C.J.M. DIEPPE INVESTMENTS LTD. and TG 378 GAUVIN LTD. RESPONDENTS C.J.M. DIEPPE INVESTMENTS LTD. et TG 378 GAUVIN LTD. INTIMÉES - and - - et - DEEPAK SOOD RESPONDENT DEEPAK SOOD INTIMÉ Babin v. C.J.M. Dieppe Investments Ltd. and TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. and Sood, 2019 NBCA 44 Babin c. C.J.M.
Dieppe Investments Ltd. et TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. et Sood, 2019 NBCA 44 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LaVigne CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 12, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 12 septembre 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: January 29, 2019 Appel entendu : le 29 janvier 2019 Judgment rendered: June 13, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 13 juin 2019 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge en chef Richard Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Darren G. Blois For the respondents C.J.M.
Dieppe Investments Ltd. and TG 378 Gauvin Ltd.: Stéphanie Luce For the respondent Deepak Sood: No one appeared Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Darren G. Blois Pour les intimées C.J.M. Dieppe Investments Ltd. et TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. : Stéphanie Luce Pour l’intimé Deepak Sood : Personne n’a comparu. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with one set of costs of $2,500 payable by Mr. Babin to C.J.M. Dieppe Investments Ltd. and TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et M. Babin est condamné à payer à C.J.M. Dieppe Investments Ltd. et à TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. une seule masse de dépens fixée à 2 500 $.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by RICHARD, C.J.N.B. I. Introduction
[ 1 ] This case is about duty of care. It involves two adjacent commercial properties each with its own parking lot. One lot sits at a higher elevation than the other. The two are separated by a grassy, sloped embankment with a swale at the bottom covered in gravel. Unfortunately, from the upper parking lot the embankment is not easily seen. An optical illusion gives the impression one can easily drive a vehicle from the upper lot directly into the lower one. Such an event occurred on April 18, 2014, and it resulted in serious personal injuries to the driver. The principal question on appeal is whether a motion judge erred in dismissing, by
summary judgment, claims against the owner of the lower lot. The judge held that owner did not owe a duty of care to a driver coming onto the lower lot directly from the upper property. In my view, that conclusion is correct. II. Factual Background [ 2 ] When, over 22 years ago, Serge Babin acquired the property located at 388 Gauvin Road in Dieppe, it had already been developed into a 12-unit apartment building with a parking lot at the back. At the time, the adjacent land located at 378 Gauvin Road was all-natural marshland. In 2001, C.J.M.
Dieppe Investments Ltd. developed this marshland and built an apartment complex with its own parking lot. Before the development, there had been a natural slope between the properties. Whether the slope was varied or not, it remained that, after the development, C.J.M.’s property sat at a lower elevation than 388 Gauvin Road. A grassy, sloped embankment separated the two parking lots, and a swale at the bottom of the slope was covered in gravel.
In 2011, TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. purchased the property from C.J.M. [ 3 ] In the early hours of April 18, 2014, while looking for his passenger located at 378 Gauvin Road, taxi driver Deepak Sood mistakenly drove into the parking lot of neighbouring 388 Gauvin Road. From there, instead of returning to the street in order to enter the driveway of 378 Gauvin Road, Mr. Sood drove over the embankment separating the two properties. His vehicle dropped into the ditch causing him serious personal injuries. [ 4 ] Mr. Sood sued Mr. Babin, the owner of 388 Gauvin Road, claiming general and special damages. Mr.
Babin defended on the grounds the accident was the result of Mr. Sood’s own negligence or that of C.J.M. Subsequently, Mr. Sood amended his Notice of Action to add C.J.M. and TG 378 as defendants. He alleged they were negligent in failing to take reasonable care to prevent injury to persons on their property. In turn, Mr. Babin amended his Statement of Defence and added a cross- claim against C.J.M. and TG 378. These latter parties defended the action. They also cross-claimed against Mr. Babin for contribution and/or indemnity for any damages they might have to pay to Mr. Sood. [ 5 ] C.J.M. and TG 378 applied for
summary judgment to have the action and the cross-claim against them dismissed. For the purposes of the motion, the judge was to presume the presence of an optical illusion that could reasonably have led Mr. Sood to conclude that the two parking lots were at the same elevation. The motion judge was also to accept that the grade of the slope had changed when C.J.M. developed 378 Gauvin Road. [ 6 ] Accepting these assumptions, the motion judge concluded that the claim and cross-claim against C.J.M. and TG 378 should be dismissed on the basis these parties did not owe Mr.
Sood a duty of care because the alleged risk was not reasonably foreseeable and because, in any event, policy considerations negated the imposition of a duty of care. III. Issues on Appeal [ 7 ] Mr. Babin appeals the motion judge’s decision. He submits: (1) the judge erred in finding there was no duty of care; and (2) he erred in exercising his discretion in favour of granting
summary judgment. IV. Analysis A. Did C.J.M. and TG 378 owe the plaintiff a duty of care?
(1) The standard of review [8] The Supreme Court of Canada recently outlined the standard of review for the duty of careanalysis in Rankin’s Garage & Sales v. J.J., 2018 SCC 19, [2018] 1 S.C.R. 587. For the majority, Karakatsanis J. notes that “[w]hetheror not a duty of care exists is a question of law and I proceed on that basis: Galaske v. O’Donnell, (CSC), [1994] 1S.C.R. 670, at p. 690.” (para. 19). As a result, and in accordance with general authority on this matter, the standard to be applied to theissue of duty of care, as a question of law, is correctness.
As such, “the basic rule with respect to the review of a trial judge’s findings isthat an appellate court is free to replace the opinion of the trial judge with its own”: Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R.235, at para. 8.
(2) The Anns/Cooper test [9] It is trite law that the imposition of a duty of care is determined in accordance with theAnns/Cooper test, developed from the foundational negligence case, Mc’Alister (or Donoghue) v. Stevenson, (FOREP),[1932] A.C. 562, 101 LJPAC 110, elaborated in Anns v. Merton London Borough Council, [1978] A.C. 728, and explained in Cooper v.Hobart, 2001 SCC 79, [2001] 3 S.C.R. 537. In Rankin, the Supreme Court rearticulated this test while addressing a claim between acommercial parking garage and a passenger injured while occupying a vehicle stolen from the garage.
In determining whether the garageowed a duty of care to that passenger, Karakatsanis J. reiterated the substance of the duty of care analysis: It is not necessary to conduct a full Anns/Cooper analysis if a previous case has already established that the duty of care in question (oran analogous duty) exists [...] If it is necessary to determine whether a novel duty exists, the first stage of the Anns/Cooper test askswhether there is a relationship of proximity in which the failure to take reasonable care might foreseeably cause loss or harm to theplaintiff: R. v.
Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd., 2011 SCC 42, [2011] 3 S.C.R. 45, at para. 39; see also Childs v. Desormeaux, 2006 SCC18, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 643, at para. 12; Cooper, at para. 30. Once foreseeability and proximity are made out, a prima facie duty of care isestablished. [para. 18] [10] However, this merely forms the first part of the analysis.
Karakatsanis J. notes that “[o]nce theplaintiff has demonstrated that a prima facie duty of care exists, the evidentiary burden then shifts to the defendant to establish that thereare residual policy reasons why this duty should not be recognized” (para. 20). [11] The full duty of care analysis only arises in circumstances where the relationship between theparties does not already evince a duty of care by virtue of previous case law. In this regard, neither of the parties has alleged that such aduty of care has been previously imposed in like circumstances. Although Mr.
Babin alleges that “as occupiers of property, TG 378 owesa duty of care to visitors in respect of injuries suffered on that property caused as a result of the condition of that property”, the law ofoccupiers’ liability has been abolished in New Brunswick by virtue of s. 2(1) of the Law Reform Act, R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 184, as discussedby this Court in Hatty v. Reid, 2005 NBCA 5, 279 N.B.R. (2d) 202. [12] Moreover, in Rankin, the Court cautioned against applying broadly established categories to theduty of care analysis.
In deciding not to apply the “foreseeable physical injury” category to the set of facts in that case, Karakatsanis J.noted that “[s]uch an approach would be contrary to recent guidance from this Court that categories should be framed narrowly” (para.28). Although the Court’s decision was in part grounded by the unique facts of Rankin, the Court’s hesitation regarding the application ofbroad categories signals that a full Anns/Cooper analysis was merited. The same applies in the present case. (
a) Foreseeability [13] As noted above, the first step requires analyzing both the proximity between the parties and thereasonable foreseeability of the type of harm in question. As is made clear in the submissions before the Court, the particular issue in thisappeal revolves around whether it was reasonably foreseeable that a person driving from the parking lot of 388 Gauvin Road directlyinto the parking lot of 378 Gauvin Road would incur personal injury after driving over an embankment which they did not see by virtueof an optical illusion.
In Rankin, Karakatsanis J. borrows the test of foreseeability articulated in A. M. Linden and B. Feldthusen,Canadian Tort Law (10th ed. 2015), at p. 322, which requires one to ask “whether the plaintiff has ‘offer[ed] facts to persuade the courtthat the risk of the type of damage that occurred was reasonably foreseeable to the class of plaintiff that was damaged’” (para. 24). [14] Karakatsanis J. further elaborates on the nature of this test:
Whether or not something is “reasonably foreseeable” is an objective test. The analysis is focussed on whether someone in the defendant’s position ought reasonably to have foreseen the harm rather than whether the specific defendant did. Courts should be vigilant in ensuring that the analysis is not clouded by the fact that the event in question actually did occur. The question is properly focussed on whether foreseeability was present prior to the incident occurring and not with the aid of 20/20 hindsight: L. N. Klar and C.S.G.
Jefferies, Tort Law (6th ed. 2017), at p. 212. [para. 53] [ 15 ] The critical issue in this appeal is whether someone in C.J.M./TG 378’s position ought reasonably to have foreseen that someone driving from 388 Gauvin Road towards their property would have believed that the two properties were at the same height and driven over the slope, thus incurring personal injury. In other words, the Court must determine whether it has been shown that the personal injuries sustained by Mr.
Sood while driving across the slope were reasonably foreseeable to C.J.M./TG 378 in their capacity as owners of the lower parking lot. [ 16 ] The jurisprudence with respect to the reasonable foreseeability of personal injury as a result of an optical illusion is scant. However, it is not non-existent. [ 17 ] In Paquet v. Longpré , 2009 QCCA 1378 , [2009] J.Q. No. 7154 (QL) , a boy on his bicycle in the late evening crossed between two neighbouring properties by way of what he perceived to be a gentle slope.
In fact, there was a ditch of 5 to 6 feet in depth, and, upon crossing, the boy fell and sustained personal injury. As a result, the boy brought an action against the owner of the property from which he fell as well as against the owner of the property on the opposite side of the ditch. The trial judge held that certain conditions had led the boy to believe there was only a small slope, and not a deep ditch. The Court of Appeal accepted these findings and held it was foreseeable that young people would traverse the property to access the lower neighbouring property.
The Court found both the owner of the upper property and the boy to have been negligent. However, in a companion case, the Court of Appeal set aside the trial court’s judgment against the owner of the lower property. For the Court, Dutil J.A. observed that from the perspective of the owner of the lower property, there was no trap because it is from the upper property that the optical illusion exists: Aubrey v. Longpré, 2009 QCCA 1379 , [2009] J.Q. No. 7155 (QL) , at para. 16 . [ 18 ] In Botting v. British Columbia , [1996] B.C.J.
No. 1740 (S.C.) (QL) , a man sustained fatal injuries after falling through a gap between two adjacent bridges while examining his disabled vehicle late at night. In the wrongful death action that followed, the plaintiff argued that the railing on a new bridge built adjacent to the old bridge upon which the plaintiff was standing “created the illusion at night of marking the edge of the old span. A pedestrian unfamiliar with the fact of the gap between the bridges would reasonably expect there to be solid surface in that area” (para. 29).
Although the analysis in that case pertained to the standard of care and not the duty of care, which had already been established, the Court ultimately held that the optical illusion was foreseeable: […] I find that it was reasonably foreseeable that there would be pedestrians on the old span at night and that some of them would not be familiar with the gap between the two spans.
I find that it was reasonably foreseeable to a competent bridge designer that the railing on the edge of the new span closest to the edge of the old span would create the illusion, at night, of the surface of the old span extending from the tire guard to the railing. I find that the Ministry ought to have required a railing on at least the side of the old bridge where the gap existed and was negligent in failing to do so. [para. 33] [ 19 ] It is evident therefore that an optical illusion may be a source of liability.
However, in all of the cases referred to above, the liability rested with the owner of the property from where the optical illusion existed. [ 20 ] In the present case, for the purposes of the
summary judgment motion, the optical illusion was accepted as fact. However, that has no real bearing on the liability of the owner of the lower property. The critical question was whether it was reasonably foreseeable to the lower property owner that someone crossing from the upper property directly to the lower property would not see the embankment and the swale. In my view, as with the trial judge, it was not. From the perspective of the owner of the lower property, there clearly was an embankment and a swale. If there in fact was an optical illusion, which, as stated, was accepted for the purpose of the motion for
summary judgment, it was an illusion that was apparent from the parking lot of 388 Gauvin Road, not from the parking lot at 378. In my view, it does not matter whether the slope of the embankment was sharpened by C.J.M.’s landscaping of its own property. The fact remains that, from the lower property, no one can reasonably foresee that anyone would be duped into believing that there can be safe vehicular passage from the upper property onto the lower one. This is not to say that reasonable foreseeability necessarily attaches to the owner of the upper property.
That question is simply not before us. [ 21 ] Thus, on the basis of the foregoing, it is clear that neither the optical illusion nor the creation of the parking lot poses an inherent risk that was reasonably foreseeable to a person in the position of C.J.M./TG 378.
(
b) Proximity [ 22 ] Although the finding of a lack of foreseeability forecloses any need to address proximity, this portion of the analysis under the Anns/Cooper test offers further confirmation that no duty of care should be imposed. In Rankin , Karakatstanis J. articulated the principle that “[i]n cases of personal injury, when there is no relationship between the parties, proximity will often (though not always) be established solely on the basis of reasonable foreseeability” (para 23). The caveat in this statement refers to McLachlin C.J.C.’s decision in Childs v.
Desormeaux , 2006 SCC 18 , [2006] 1 S.C.R. 643 , in which she noted that, where the “conduct alleged against the defendant is a failure to act , foreseeability alone may not establish a duty of care” (para. 31). A finding that the act in question is merely an omission requires an assessment of whether there is a “nexus between the parties” (para. 31). [ 23 ] In the circumstances of this case, Mr. Babin submits that the development of the parking lot on the lower property created the optical illusion which led Mr. Sood to drive over the slope between the properties and incur serious personal injury.
This may suggest that it was C.J.M./TG 378’s overt act which led to Mr. Sood’s injuries, and, had foreseeability been made out, proximity would have been found. However, this case may also be framed as one of omission, wherein C.J.M./TG 378 failed to alert Mr. Sood that there was a slope between the properties. This would suggest a “positive duty of care”, as discussed in Childs at para. 34 . [ 24 ] In Childs, the Supreme Court had to determine whether hosts of a party owed a duty of care to third parties injured from a motor vehicle accident caused by an inebriated guest at a house party.
In that case, McLachlin C.J.C. noted three situations where courts have imposed positive duties to act. The first is “where a defendant intentionally attracts and invites third parties to an inherent and obvious risk that he or she has created or controls” (para. 35). The second is in the case of “paternalistic relationships of supervision and control, such as those of parent-child or teacher-student” (para. 36).
The final category is “defendants who either exercise a public function or engage in a commercial enterprise that includes implied responsibilities to the public at large” (para. 37). [ 25 ] It is evident that none of the above categories apply to impose a positive duty on CFM/TG-378 to alert drivers about the slope between the two properties. While TG 378 owns the property at the bottom of the slope, there is no suggestion that TG 378 invited Mr. Sood to enter onto its property from the adjacent parking lot, or that the slope posed an “inherent and obvious risk” as contemplated in Childs.
In addressing the second category, there is clearly no paternalistic relationship between the parties. Last, TG 378 was not exercising any kind of function that “implied responsibilities to the public at large”. As a result, in addition to the finding that Mr. Sood’s injuries were not reasonably foreseeable, there was no positive duty placed on TG 378 to warn Mr. Sood, or any driver, of the slope. (
c) Residual policy concerns [ 26 ] The last portion of the duty analysis, residual policy concerns, forms the second branch of the Anns/Cooper test. This analysis was explored in Cooper v. Hobart , which concerned the imposition of liability on the Registration of Mortgage Brokers for investors of a company the Registrar had licensed.
In explaining the second branch of the test, McLachlin C.J.C. and Major J. stated that these considerations “are not concerned with the relationship between the parties, but with the effect of recognizing a duty of care on other legal obligations, the legal system and society more generally” (para. 37). [ 27 ] To this end, the motion judge in his oral judgment pointed to the general unfairness of imposing liability in circumstances such as these: – but if you want me to create some kind of new obligation based on changes on sightlines with people using neighbouring properties, to create an obligation on the – the property that the – the owners, there’s been changes to their own, in a situation where there’s no indication, no clue whatsoever here, on the part of [C.J.M.], there were no clues in 2001 when they [build] their parking lot that – no indications that this would affect sightlines on drivers using the neighbouring parking lot, but to fault them for not having foreseen that change in the sightline on the neighbouring lot, there’s nothing in this file that would bring this Court to consider this as a proportional – a proportionate thing to do. [p. 45] [ 28 ] Seeing as the first part of the Anns/Cooper was not met, it is not necessary to conduct a full analysis on the policy concerns negating the duty.
The issue also went unaddressed in the appellant’s submissions, and as such, the motion judge’s findings in this regard should stand. B. Did the Motion Judge err in granting
Summary Judgment to the Respondent?
[ 29 ] Having determined that TG 378 does not owe Mr. Sood a duty of care with respect to the personal injuries he sustained while traversing across the slope, the remaining issue here is whether the motion judge should nevertheless have declined to grant C.J.M./TG 378
summary judgment.
(1) Standard of Review [ 30 ] The
summary judgment analysis attracts a different standard of review than that for duty of care. In the seminal decision, Hryniak v. Mauldin , 2014 SCC 7 , [2014] 1 S.C.R. 87 , the Supreme Court of Canada indicated the following with respect to the standard of review for
summary judgment: In my view, absent an error of law, the exercise of powers under the new
summary judgment rule attracts deference. When the motion judge exercises her new fact-finding powers under Rule 20.04(2.1) and determines whether there is a genuine issue requiring a trial, this is a question of mixed fact and law. Where there is no extricable error in principle, findings of mixed fact and law should not be overturned, absent palpable and overriding error, Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 (S.C.C.) , at para. 36 . [para. 81]
(2) Principles and Case Law [ 31 ] In New Brunswick, the rules governing
summary judgment are set out in Rule 22 of our Rules of Court . Rule 22.01(3) lays out the circumstances in which a defendant may apply for
summary judgment:
(3) After the defendant has served a Statement of Defence, the defendant may move with supporting affidavit or other evidence for
summary judgment dismissing all or part of the claim in the Statement of Claim.
(3) Ayant signifié l’exposé de sa défense, le défendeur peut, par voie de motion appuyée de preuve par affidavit ou autre, solliciter un jugement
sommaire rejetant tout ou
partie de la demande formulée dans l’exposé de la demande. [ 32 ] More particularly, Rule 22.04(1) sets out the criteria for a court to grant
summary judgment:
(1) The court shall grant
summary judgment if (
a) the court is satisfied there is no genuine issue requiring a trial with respect to a claim or defence, or (
b) the parties agree to have all or part of the claim determined by a
summary judgment and the court is satisfied it is appropriate to grant
summary judgment.
(1) La cour rend un jugement
sommaire lorsqu’elle constate :
a) ou bien qu’une demande ou une défense ne soulève pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès;
b) ou bien qu’il convient de rendre pareil jugement et les parties sont d’accord pour que tout ou
partie de la demande soit tranché de la sorte. [ 33 ] Clearly, the parties have not agreed to dispose of this matter by
summary judgment. Accordingly, the critical element to this appeal is Rule 22.04(1)(a), which indicates that a court shall grant
summary judgment if the court is satisfied there is no genuine issue requiring a trial . [ 34 ] Hryniak serves as the governing authority in Canada with respect to the new
summary judgment
amendments enacted in this province in 2016. Although the case itself interprets Rule 20 of the Ontario Rules of Court , that provision generally reflects Rule 22 in this province. The case has also been cited with approval by our Court on several occasions: see in particular CG Group Ltd. v. Girouard et al. , 2018 NBCA 59 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 210 (QL) , and O’Toole v. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 14 (QL) . [ 35 ] In Hryniak , Karakatsanis J. elaborates on the inquiry made to determine whether there is a genuine issuing requiring a trial: There will be no genuine issue requiring a trial when the judge is able to reach a fair and just determination on the merits on a motion for
summary judgment. This will be the case when the process (1) allows the judge to make the necessary findings of fact, (2) allows the judge to apply the law to the facts, and (3) is a proportionate, more expeditious and less expensive means to achieve a just result. [para. 49] [ 36 ] Based on these factors, it was appropriate for the motion judge to dismiss the claim against C.J.M./TG 378 by
summary judgment. For the purpose of the motion, and again here, the facts were assumed in the worst-case scenario for C.J.M./TG 378. It was assumed that, from the vantage of the parking lot of 388 Gauvin Road, an optical illusion leads one to believe that parking lot and the adjacent one are at the same level or close. It has also been assumed that C.J.M.’s development of its land changed the slope between the two properties (something that is denied).
Yet, applying the law to those facts, for the reasons set out earlier, no liability attaches to C.J.M./TG 378 because the only genuine issue in this case is a question of law. Rule 22.04(5) explicitly provides the following with respect to a question of law:
(5) If the court is satisfied the only genuine issue is a question of law, the court may determine that question and grant judgment accordingly.
(5) Si elle constate que la seule véritable question en litige a trait à une question de droit, la cour peut la trancher, puis rendre jugement en conséquence. [ 37 ] It is clear to me that, since C.J.M./TG 378 did not at law owe a duty of care to Mr. Sood, it follows that there is no genuine issue requiring a trial involving these parties. Given the mandatory nature of Rule 22.04(1), which indicates that a court shall grant
summary judgment, and, in the absence of an error of the type identified above, this ground of appeal must be dismissed. [ 38 ] I acknowledge that the presence of more than one defendant in the matter, with only one seeking
summary judgment, poses a unique complication. Indeed, Karakatsanis J. recognizes this problem in Hryniak : […] For example, if some of the claims against some of the parties will proceed to trial in any event, it may not be in the interest of justice to use the new fact-finding powers to grant
summary judgment against a single defendant. Such partial
summary judgment may run the risk of duplicative proceedings or inconsistent findings of fact and therefore the use of the powers may not be in the interest of justice. On the other hand, the resolution of an important claim against a key party could significantly advance access to justice, and be the most proportionate, timely and cost effective approach. [para. 60] [Emphasis added.] [ 39 ] Consideration need therefore be given to the appropriateness of a
summary judgment dismissing the action against one or more of the parties in the case where other parties will nevertheless proceed to trial. This is especially so where a fact-finding exercise needs to be undertaken. This caution was considered in Butera v. Chown, Cairns LLP, 2017 ONCA 783 , [2017] O.J. No. 5267 (QL) . For the Court, Pepall J.A. considered a number of factors impacting the granting of a partial
summary judgment. Some are taken from pre- Hryniak jurisprudence and others arise because they are “anathema to the stated objectives underlying Hryniak ” (para. 29 ). I would adopt the considerations to which Pepall J.A. refers and would list these in the form of questions as follows: 1) Is this a case where the issue on which judgment is sought is clearly severable from the balance of the case? 2) Is there a risk of duplicative or inconsistent findings at trial, including if the record at trial could be different than that of the motion? 3) Is the granting of partial
summary judgment advisable in the context of the litigation as a whole? 4) Would the motion for
summary judgment delay the main action, considering that there is a possibility of appeal?
5) Are the costs of proceeding with a motion for
summary judgment justifiable? 6) Is it worth the judicial time necessary to rule on a matter that will not wholly dispose of the action? [ 40 ] Pepall J.A. then synthesizes the test to be applied: When bringing a motion for partial
summary judgment, the moving party should consider these factors in assessing whether the motion is advisable in the context of the litigation as a whole. A motion for partial
summary judgment should be considered to be a rare procedure that is reserved for an issue or issues that may be readily bifurcated from those in the main action and that may be dealt with expeditiously and in a cost effective manner.
Such an approach is consistent with the objectives described by the Supreme Court in Hryniak and with the direction that the Rules be liberally construed to secure the just, most expeditious, and least expensive determination of every civil proceeding on its merits. [para. 34] [Emphasis added.] [ 41 ] The caution expressed in Butera was put into context in Concord Plumbing & Heating Ltd. v. Canadian Tire Real Estate Limited , 2018 ONSC 6361 , [2018] O.J. No. 5572 (QL) , in which Di Luca J. explained: The caution against partial
summary judgment sounded in Buter [ a ] v. Chown, Cairns LLP , does not mean that partial
summary judgment is never appropriate. Indeed, in cases where a discrete legal and factual issue can be readily ascertained and determined so as to avoid the risk of inconsistent findings and duplicative proceedings, partial
summary judgment motions remain an appropriate vehicle; see Larizza v. Royal Bank of Canada , 2018 ONCA 632 , Sirois v. Weston , 2017 ONCA 1002 […] . Even in cases where the issue is not entirely discrete, the courts have granted partial
summary judgment where
summary judgment was determined to otherwise be a fair, proportionate and just means of resolving the action; see Kueber v. Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre , 2018 ONCA 125 [(Ont. C.A.)] […]. [para. 22] [ 42 ] Applying these criteria in the present case, I conclude the motion judge did not err in dismissing the claim against C.J.M./TG 378 by means of
summary judgment. The question of any duty of care owed by C.J.M./TG 378 was a question of law that was determinative of nothing but whether or not any liability could attach to their acts or omissions. The determination they did not owe Mr. Sood a duty of care was made in the context of a claim by Mr. Sood and a cross-claim by Mr. Babin and presuming the alleged facts to be true. In determining there was no duty of care upon C.J.M./TG 378 as occupiers of the lower property upon which Mr.
Sood sought to enter from a place other than the main entrance, neither the motion judge nor this Court is making any findings on the remaining issues in the litigation. The questions of whether there was a duty of care by Mr. Babin, and, if so, whether there was a breach of the standard of care, and, if any liability attaches to him, the degree of contributory negligence, if any, are all questions that are unaffected by the
summary judgment. The risk of duplicative or inconsistent findings is therefore non-existent. [ 43 ] This answers the first two of the considerations set out above. The other considerations are factors a motion judge must consider in deciding whether or not to exercise her or his discretion to grant
summary judgment. In the present case, the judge obviously thought it was advisable to grant
summary judgment in the context of the litigation as a whole. The motion judge granted
summary judgment in favour of a single party notwithstanding the following: (1) his decision would not wholly dispense of the action; (2) granting
summary judgment could delay the main action – it led to an appeal after all; (3) it would likely increase the costs to the litigants; and, (4) it was at least questionable whether the motion (and the resulting risk of appeal) would be worth the judicial time. While these factors weighed against granting
summary judgment, the judge’s exercise of discretion to dismiss the claim against C.J.M./TG 378 by
summary judgment is nevertheless entitled to deference. Moreover, one cannot put the genie back into the bottle, so to speak. The fact is that, notwithstanding factors that weighed against granting
summary judgment in favour of only one party, the judge exercised his discretion and granted the order sought. As a result, where the judge’s decision is found to be correct in law, it would serve no purpose to question the exercise of his discretion. V. Disposition [ 44 ] In sum, I conclude the motion judge did not err in concluding C.J.M./TG 378 did not owe a duty of care to a driver attempting to enter their property from an adjacent parking lot, which was at a higher elevation than their property. Since the judge’s ruling in that regard is correct, there is no basis to interfere with the motion judge’s discretion to dismiss the action against those litigants by way of
summary judgment. I would therefore dismiss the appeal. In doing so, I would order Mr. Babin to pay C.J.M./TG 378 costs in the amount of $2,500.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE RICHARD, J.C.N.-B. I. Introduction [1] La présente affaire porte sur l’obligation de diligence. Elle vise deux biens commerciaux adjacents, chacun doté de son propre terrain de stationnement. Un des terrains de stationnement est plus élevé que l’autre. Les deux biens sont séparés par un remblai en talus gazonné aboutissant en un creux recouvert de gravier. Malheureusement, le talus n’est pas très visible à partir du terrain de stationnement situé en hauteur.
Une illusion d’optique donne l’impression qu’on peut facilement conduire un véhicule du terrain de stationnement plus élevé à celui qui est plus bas. Le 18 avril 2014, c’est justement ce qu’a tenté de faire un conducteur, et il a subi de graves lésions corporelles. La principale question à trancher en appel est celle de savoir si le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur en rejetant, par voie de jugement
sommaire, les demandes formées contre la société propriétaire du terrain situé plus bas. Le juge a conclu que cette propriétaire n’avait aucune obligation de diligence envers un conducteur qui accédait au terrain de stationnement situé à un niveau inférieur directement à partir du terrain situé en hauteur. Je suis d’avis que cette conclusion est la bonne. II.
Contexte factuel [2] Lorsque Serge Babin a fait l’acquisition du bien situé au 388, chemin Gauvin, à Dieppe, il y a plus de 22 ans, ce bien avait déjà été aménagé en un immeuble d’habitation comptant 12 unités et doté d’un terrain de stationnement à l’arrière du bâtiment. Le terrain adjacent situé au 378, chemin Gauvin, était alors un terrain marécageux à l’état naturel. En 2001, C.J.M. Dieppe Investments Ltd. a érigé sur ce terrain marécageux un immeuble d’habitation doté de son propre terrain de stationnement. Avant l’aménagement, une dénivellation naturelle séparait les deux biens.
Que cette dénivellation ait été modifiée ou non, il reste que, après l’aménagement, le bien de C.J.M. se trouvait à un niveau inférieur à celui du 388, chemin Gauvin. Les deux terrains de stationnement étaient séparés par un remblai en talus gazonné aboutissant en un creux recouvert de gravier. En 2011, TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. a acheté le bien à C.J.M. [3] Au petit matin du 18 avril 2014, en voulant passer prendre un passager qui se trouvait au 378, chemin Gauvin, le chauffeur de taxi Deepak Sood est par erreur entré dans le terrain de stationnement du bien voisin situé au 388, chemin Gauvin.
Au lieu de rebrousser chemin pour accéder à la voie d’accès du 378, chemin Gauvin, M. Sood a conduit sur le remblai qui séparait les deux biens. Son véhicule est tombé dans le fossé et M. Sood a subi de graves lésions corporelles. [4] M. Sood a intenté une action à M. Babin, le propriétaire du bien situé au 388, chemin Gauvin, et réclamé des dommages-intérêts généraux ainsi que des dommages-intérêts particuliers. M. Babin a présenté comme moyen de défense que l’accident était le résultat de la propre négligence de M. Sood ou de la négligence de C.J.M. Par la suite, M.
Sood a modifié son avis de poursuite afin d’ajouter C.J.M. et TG 378 comme parties défenderesses. Il soutenait que ces dernières avaient fait preuve de négligence en omettant d’exercer une diligence raisonnable pour empêcher que des personnes se blessent sur leur bien. Pour sa part, M. Babin a modifié son exposé de la défense et ajouté une demande entre défendeurs contre C.J.M. et TG 378. Ces dernières ont présenté une défense à l’action. Elles ont aussi présenté une demande entre défendeurs contre M.
Babin, afin d’obtenir de lui soit une contribution, soit une indemnité, ou les deux pour tous dommages-intérêts qu’elles pourraient devoir payer à M. Sood. [5] C.J.M. et TG 378 ont demandé un jugement
sommaire ordonnant le rejet de l’action et de la demande entre défendeurs introduites contre elles. Pour les besoins de la motion, le juge devait tenir pour vrai qu’une illusion d’optique aurait raisonnablement amené M. Sood à conclure que les deux terrains de stationnement étaient au même niveau.
Il devait aussi accepter comme fait que l’angle de dénivellation avait changé lorsque C.J.M. avait aménagé le terrain situé au 378, chemin Gauvin. [6] Le juge saisi de la motion a accepté ces postulats, puis il a conclu que l’action et la demande entre défendeurs introduites contre C.J.M. et TG 378 devraient être rejetées pour le motif que ces parties n’avaient aucune obligation de diligence envers M. Sood, le risque allégué n’étant pas raisonnablement prévisible et, par ailleurs, des considérations de principe empêchant d’imposer une obligation de diligence. III. Questions portées en appel
[7] M. Babin interjette appel de la décision du juge saisi de la motion. Il invoque deux moyens :(1) le juge a commis une erreur en concluant qu’il n’y avait aucune obligation de diligence; et (2) il a commis une erreur en exerçant sonpouvoir discrétionnaire de rendre le jugement
sommaire. IV. Analyse A. C.J.M. et TG 378 avaient-elles une obligation de diligence envers le demandeur?
(1) Norme de contrôle [8] La Cour suprême du Canada a énoncé récemment, dans Rankin (Rankin’s Garage & Sales) c.J.J., 2018 CSC 19, [2018] 1 R.C.S. 587, la norme de contrôle applicable dans l’analyse de l’obligation de diligence. Rendant jugementau nom de la majorité, la juge Karakatsanis a dit : « La question de savoir s’il existe ou non une obligation de diligence est une questionde droit, et je me fonderai sur cette prémisse : Galaske c.
O’Donnell, (CSC), [1994] 1 R.C.S. 670, p. 690. » (Par. 19)Ainsi, et conformément à l’ensemble des sources jurisprudentielles sur ce point, la norme applicable à la question de l’obligation dediligence en tant que question de droit est celle de la décision correcte. Vu qu’il s’agit d’une question de droit, « la règle fondamentaleapplicable en matière de contrôle des conclusions du juge de première instance est que les cours d’appel ont toute latitude pour substituerleur opinion à celle des juges de première instance » : Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, par. 8.
(2) Le critère fondé sur les arrêts Anns et Cooper [9] Il est bien établi en droit que, pour déterminer si une obligation de diligence entre en jeu, ilfaut appliquer le critère fondé sur les arrêts Anns et Cooper, critère élaboré dans Anns c. Merton London Borough Council, [1978] A.C.728, sur le fondement de l’arrêt clé en matière de négligence, M’Alister (or Donoghue) c. Stevenson, (FOREP), [1932]A.C. 562, 101 LJPAC 110, et expliqué dans Cooper c. Hobart, 2001 CSC 79, [2001] 3 R.C.S. 537.
Dans l’arrêt Rankin, la Cour suprêmea reformulé ce critère en examinant une demande visant un garage commercial et un passager qui avait été blessé pendant qu’il setrouvait dans un véhicule volé au garage.
En déterminant si le garage avait une obligation de diligence envers ce passager, lajuge Karakatsanis a décrit à nouveau l’essentiel de l’analyse de l’obligation de diligence : Il n’est pas nécessaire de procéder à une analyse exhaustive fondée sur le test Anns/Cooper si une décision a déjà établi l’existence del’obligation de diligence en cause (ou d’une obligation analogue) […] Lorsqu’il est nécessaire de déterminer s’il existe une nouvelleobligation, la première étape du test Anns/Cooper consiste à se demander s’il y a un lien de proximité dans le cadre duquel l’omission defaire preuve de diligence raisonnable peut, de façon prévisible, causer une perte ou un préjudice au demandeur : R. c.
Imperial TobaccoCanada Ltée, 2011 CSC 42, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 45, par. 39; voir également Childs c. Desormeaux, 2006 CSC 18, [2006] 1 R.C.S. 643,par. 12; Cooper, par. 30. Dès lors que la prévisibilité et le lien de proximité ont été établis, il y a obligation de diligence prima facie.[Par. 18] [10] Toutefois, cela ne constitue que la première
partie de l’analyse. La juge Karakatsanis ajoutececi : « Une fois que le demandeur a établi l’existence d’une obligation de diligence prima facie, le fardeau de prouver qu’il existe desconsidérations de principe résiduelles justifiant de ne pas reconnaître cette obligation incombe au défendeur » (par. 20). [11] L’analyse exhaustive de l’obligation de diligence n’est indiquée que dans les circonstances où larelation entre les parties n’établit pas déjà l’existence d’une obligation de diligence fondée sur des décisions antérieures.
Aucune desparties n’a prétendu qu’une telle obligation de diligence avait déjà été imposée en des circonstances analogues. Quoique M. Babinprétende que [TRADUCTION] « TG 378, en sa qualité d’occupante du bien, a une obligation de diligence envers les visiteurs sur cebien pour toute blessure qu’ils subissent sur le bien et qui est attribuable à son état », la règle de droit relative à la responsabilité desoccupants a été abolie au Nouveau-Brunswick par l’adoption du par. 2(1) de la
Loi sur la réforme du droit, L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 184, ainsi que l’a indiqué la Cour dans Hatty c. Reid, 2005 NBCA 5, 279 R.N.-B. (2e) 202. [12] Qui plus est, dans l’arrêt Rankin, la Cour a déconseillé l’application de catégories largementdéfinies à l’analyse de l’obligation de diligence. En décidant de ne pas appliquer aux faits de l’affaire Rankin la catégorie des « lésionscorporelles prévisibles », la juge Karakatsanis a dit : « Une telle approche irait à l’encontre des orientations récentes données par la Cour,selon lesquelles les catégories devraient être définies de façon restrictive » (par. 28).
Même si la décision de la Cour était fondée enpartie sur des faits très particuliers dans l’affaire Rankin, l’hésitation manifestée par la Cour concernant l’application de catégories largesindique le besoin de procéder à une analyse exhaustive selon le critère fondé sur les arrêts Anns et Cooper. Le même raisonnements’applique en l’espèce.
a) Prévisibilité [13] Ainsi qu’il a été mentionné précédemment, la première étape consiste à analyser à la fois le lien de proximité entre les parties et la prévisibilité raisonnable du type de préjudice en cause.
Comme le montrent clairement les observations faites devant la Cour, la question précise à trancher dans le présent appel est celle de savoir s’il était raisonnablement prévisible qu’une personne conduisant du terrain de stationnement du 388, chemin Gauvin, directement dans le terrain de stationnement du 378, chemin Gauvin, subirait des lésions corporelles après avoir roulé sur un remblai qu’elle n’avait pas aperçu en raison d’une illusion d’optique. Dans l’arrêt Rankin , la juge Karakatsanis applique le critère de prévisibilité énoncé par les auteurs A. M. Linden et B.
Feldthusen dans leur ouvrage intitulé Canadian Tort Law (10 e éd. 2015), à la p. 322, selon lequel il faut se poser la question de savoir « si le demandeur a [TRADUCTION] “présenté des faits susceptibles de convaincre le tribunal que le risque du type de dommage qui s’est produit était raisonnablement prévisible pour la catégorie de demandeurs qui ont été lésés” » (par. 24). [14] La juge Karakatsanis a expliqué davantage la nature de ce critère : La question de savoir si quelque chose est « raisonnablement prévisible » ou non est un critère objectif.
L’analyse consiste essentiellement à se demander si une personne se trouvant dans la situation du défendeur aurait raisonnablement dû prévoir le préjudice, et non si ce défendeur en particulier l’a prévu. Les tribunaux devraient veiller à ce que l’analyse ne soit pas faussée par le fait que l’événement s’est effectivement produit. La question posée correctement porte sur la prévisibilité ou non avant que l’incident ne survienne, sans pouvoir compter sur l’avantage du recul : L. N. Klar et C.S.G.
Jefferies, Tort Law (6 e éd. 2017), p. 212. [Par. 53] [15] La question fondamentale en l’espèce est de savoir si quelqu’un se trouvant dans la situation de C.J.M. et de TG 378 aurait raisonnablement dû prévoir qu’une personne qui conduirait à partir du 388, chemin Gauvin, en direction de leur bien aurait cru que les deux terrains étaient de même niveau et aurait roulé par-dessus le talus, et subi ainsi des lésions corporelles. Autrement dit, la Cour doit déterminer s’il a été établi que les lésions corporelles subies par M.
Sood lorsqu’il a traversé en voiture la dénivellation étaient raisonnablement prévisibles par C.J.M. et par TG 378 en leur qualité de propriétaires du terrain de stationnement situé à un niveau inférieur. [16] Il y a peu de jurisprudence sur la question de la prévisibilité raisonnable de lésion corporelle qui serait causée par suite d’une illusion d’optique. Toutefois, il en existe. [17] Dans Paquet c. Longpré , 2009 QCCA 1378 , [2009] J.Q. n o 7154 (QL), un garçon qui roulait à vélo a traversé tard le soir la limite entre deux biens voisins en passant sur ce qu’il pensait être une dénivellation légère.
En effet, il y avait un fossé de 5 ou 6 pieds de profondeur et le garçon, en traversant le terrain, est tombé dans le fossé et a subi des lésions corporelles. En conséquence, il a intenté une action au propriétaire du bien d’où il était tombé, ainsi qu’au propriétaire du bien situé de l’autre côté du fossé. La juge du procès a conclu que certaines conditions avaient amené le garçon à croire qu’il s’agissait uniquement d’une dénivellation légère et non d’un fossé profond.
La Cour d’appel a accepté ces conclusions et conclu qu’il était prévisible que de jeunes personnes traverseraient à cet endroit pour accéder au bien voisin situé plus bas. La Cour a conclu que tant le propriétaire du bien situé en hauteur que le garçon avaient fait preuve de négligence. Toutefois, dans une décision complémentaire, la Cour d’appel a annulé le jugement rendu au procès contre le propriétaire du bien situé plus bas.
Rendant jugement au nom de la Cour, la juge d’appel Dutil a fait remarquer qu’à partir du bien situé au niveau inférieur, il n’y a aucun piège; c’est le bien situé en hauteur qui crée l’illusion d’optique : Aubry c. Longpré , 2009 QCCA 1379 , [2009] J.Q. n o 7155 (QL), au par. 16 . [18] Dans Botting c. British Columbia , [1996] B.C.J. No. 1740 (C.S.C.-B.) (QL) , un homme qui inspectait son véhicule tombé en panne tard le soir a subi des blessures mortelles après avoir fait une chute dans l’espace vide qui avait été créé entre deux ponts adjacents. Dans l’action introduite par la suite pour homicide délictuel, la
partie demanderesse a prétendu que le garde-fou du nouveau pont construit juste à côté de l’ancien pont où se tenait debout la victime [TRADUCTION] « créait la nuit l’illusion de former le bord de l’ancien pont. Un piéton qui ne serait pas au courant de l’espace entre les ponts s’attendrait raisonnablement à ce qu’il y ait une surface solide à cet endroit. » (Par. 29) Même si l’analyse dans cette affaire portait sur la norme de diligence et non sur l’obligation de diligence, laquelle avait déjà été établie, la Cour a conclu en fin de compte que l’illusion d’optique était prévisible.
Voici les propos de la Cour à ce sujet : [TRADUCTION] […] Je conclus qu’il était raisonnablement prévisible que des piétons circuleraient sur l’ancien pont la nuit et que certains ne seraient pas au courant de l’espace entre les deux ponts. Je conclus qu’une personne compétente en conception de ponts aurait raisonnablement prévu que le garde-fou aménagé au bord du nouveau pont, à l’endroit le plus près du bord de l’ancien pont, aurait créé, la nuit, l’illusion que la
surface de l’ancien pont s’étendait de la borne de protection jusqu’au garde-fou. Je conclus que le ministère aurait dû exiger l’aménagement d’un garde-fou, à tout le moins sur le bord de l’ancien pont où il y avait cet espace vide entre les deux ponts, et qu’en omettant de le faire il s’est rendu coupable de négligence. [Par. 33] [19] Il est donc clair qu’une illusion d’optique peut soulever la responsabilité. Cela dit, dans toutes les décisions précitées, la responsabilité a été attribuée au propriétaire du bien qui créait l’illusion d’optique. [20] En l’espèce, et dans le contexte de la motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire, l’illusion d’optique a été reconnue comme un fait. Toutefois, celle-ci n’a aucune incidence sur la question de la responsabilité de la propriétaire du bien situé plus bas. La question essentielle est celle de savoir si la propriétaire de ce bien pouvait raisonnablement prévoir qu’une personne accédant à son bien directement à partir du bien situé en hauteur ne verrait pas le remblai et le creux. J’estime, tout comme le juge du procès, que cela n’était pas raisonnablement prévisible. À partir du bien situé au niveau inférieur, le remblai et le creux étaient évidents.
Si illusion d’optique il y avait, et comme je l’ai dit précédemment, celle-ci a été acceptée comme fait dans le contexte de la motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire, cette illusion d’optique était créée à partir du terrain de stationnement du 388, rue Gauvin, et non à partir de celui du 378, chemin Gauvin. À mon sens, il importe peu que la dénivellation ait été accrue par l’aménagement paysager effectué sur son bien par C.J.M. Il reste que personne, à partir du bien situé au niveau inférieur, ne pourrait raisonnablement prévoir que quelqu’un serait amené à croire qu’il n’est pas dangereux de conduire un véhicule du terrain situé en hauteur directement sur celui situé plus bas.
Ce qui ne revient pas pour autant à dire que le propriétaire du bien situé en hauteur aurait dû raisonnablement prévoir le danger existant. Nous ne sommes tout simplement pas saisis de cette question. [21] Par conséquent, compte tenu de ce qui précède, il est clair que ni l’illusion d’optique ni l’aménagement du terrain de stationnement ne créent un danger inhérent qui aurait dû être raisonnablement prévisible pour une personne se trouvant dans la situation de C.J.M. et de TG 378.
b) Lien de proximité [22] Quoique la conclusion concernant l’absence de prévisibilité élimine le besoin d’examiner le lien de proximité, cette
partie de l’analyse prévue par le critère fondé sur les arrêts Anns et Cooper offre une autre occasion de confirmer qu’aucune obligation de diligence ne devrait être imposée. Dans l’arrêt Rankin , la juge Karakatstanis a énoncé le principe suivant : « Dans les affaires portant sur des lésions corporelles dans lesquelles les parties n’ont aucun lien entre elles, le lien de proximité est souvent (quoique pas toujours) établi sur le seul fondement de la prévisibilité raisonnable » (par. 23). La mise en garde relevée dans cet énoncé découle de la décision rendue par la juge en chef McLachlin dans Childs c.
Desormeaux , 2006 CSC 18 , [2006] 1 R.C.S. 643, où la juge en chef a dit que « lorsque la conduite que l’on reproche au défendeur consiste en un défaut d’agir, la prévisibilité à elle seule ne permet pas d’établir l’existence d’une telle obligation [obligation de diligence] » (par. 31). Si la cour conclut qu’il s’agit simplement d’une omission plutôt que d’un acte manifeste, elle doit déterminer s’il existe un « rapport entre les parties » (par. 31). [23] En l’espèce, M.
Babin soutient que l’aménagement du terrain de stationnement sur le bien situé à un niveau inférieur est ce qui a créé l’illusion d’optique et amené M. Sood à conduire sur le remblai séparant les deux biens et à subir ainsi de graves lésions corporelles. Selon cette thèse, ce serait un acte manifeste de la part de C.J.M. ou de TG 378 qui aurait causé les blessures subies par M. Sood, et si la prévisibilité avait pu être établie, le lien de proximité l’aurait été aussi.
Toutefois, il est possible aussi en l’espèce de caractériser l’affaire comme une affaire d’omission, où C.J.M. ou TG 378 auraient omis d’avertir M. Sood de la dénivellation entre les deux biens. Cela soulèverait la notion d’« obligation de diligence positive » mentionnée au par. 34 de l’arrêt Childs . [24] Dans l’affaire Childs , la Cour suprême du Canada devait déterminer si les hôtes d’une soirée sociale avaient une obligation de diligence envers des tierces parties qui avaient subi des blessures dans un accident de la route causé par un invité qui avait quitté la soirée en état d’ébriété.
La juge en chef McLachlin a indiqué que les tribunaux avaient imposé une obligation positive d’agir dans trois situations. La première est celle « où le défendeur incite et invite intentionnellement des tiers à prendre un risque inhérent et évident qu’il a créé ou qu’il contrôle » (par. 35). La deuxième situation se rapporte aux « liens de type paternaliste comportant un degré de surveillance et de contrôle, comme le lien parent-enfant ou instituteur-élève » (par. 36).
La dernière catégorie est celle des « défendeurs qui exercent des fonctions publiques ou qui se livrent à des activités commerciales comportant des responsabilités implicites envers le grand public » (par. 37). [25] Manifestement, aucune de ces situations ou catégories ne s’applique de manière à imposer à C.F.M. ou à TG 378 une obligation positive d’avertir les conducteurs de la dénivellation entre les deux biens. Il est vrai que TG 378 est la propriétaire du bien situé au bas de la dénivellation, mais rien n’indique qu’elle ait invité M.
Sood à s’introduire sur son bien à partir du terrain de stationnement adjacent, et rien n’indique non plus que la dénivellation constituait le type de « risque inhérent et évident » auquel songeait la Cour dans l’arrêt Childs . S’agissant de la deuxième catégorie, il n’existe certainement pas de lien de type paternaliste
entre les parties. Enfin, TG 378 n’exerçait pas une fonction publique qui aurait comporté « des responsabilités implicites envers le grand public ». En conséquence, outre le fait que les lésions corporelles subies par M. Sood n’étaient pas raisonnablement prévisibles, TG 378 n’avait pas l’obligation positive d’avertir M. Sood, ou quelque conducteur que ce soit, de l’existence de la dénivellation.
c) Considérations de principe résiduelles [26] La dernière
partie de l’analyse de l’obligation, soit les considérations de principe résiduelles, constitue le deuxième volet du critère fondé sur les arrêts Anns et Cooper . Ce sujet a été exploré dans l’arrêt Cooper c. Hobart , où la Cour devait déterminer si le registrateur des courtiers en hypothèques avait une responsabilité envers les investisseurs dans une société à laquelle le il avait accordé un permis de courtage.
En expliquant le deuxième volet du critère, la juge en chef McLachlin et le juge Major ont dit que ces considérations « ne portent pas sur le lien existant entre les parties, mais sur l’effet que la reconnaissance d’une obligation de diligence aurait sur les autres obligations légales, sur le système juridique et sur la société en général. » (Par. 37) [27] À ce sujet, dans le jugement qu’il a rendu oralement, le juge saisi de la motion a fait mention de l’injustice générale que causerait dans les circonstances de l’espèce le fait d’imposer une responsabilité : [TRADUCTION] – mais si vous me demandez de créer un nouveau type d’obligation fondé sur les changements apportés à la ligne de visibilité pour les personnes utilisant des biens voisins, de créer une obligation pour le – le bien que les – les propriétaires – des changements ont été apportés à leur propre bien – dans une situation où il n’y a aucune indication, absolument aucune, où C.J.M. avait zéro indication, en 2001, lorsqu’elle a aménagé le terrain de stationnement, que cet aménagement réduirait la ligne de visibilité des conducteurs qui utiliseraient le terrain de stationnement voisin, mais si vous me demandez de les déclarer fautifs pour ne pas avoir prévu ce changement quant à la ligne de visibilité à partir du terrain voisin, rien dans le dossier ne saurait amener la Cour à considérer que pareille décision serait proportionnée. [P. 45] [28] Compte tenu du fait que le premier volet du critère fondé sur les arrêts Anns et Cooper n’a pas été rempli, il n’est pas nécessaire d’effectuer une analyse exhaustive des considérations de principe qui annuleraient l’obligation.
Les observations de l’appelant n’ont pas traité la question non plus, par conséquent, les conclusions à cet égard du juge saisi de la motion devraient être confirmées. B. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur en prononçant un jugement
sommaire en faveur de la société intimée? [29] Maintenant que j’ai conclu que TG 378 n’a pas d’obligation de diligence envers M. Sood pour les lésions corporelles qu’il a subies en traversant le remblai, il ne me reste qu’à examiner si le juge saisi de la motion aurait tout de même dû refuser de prononcer un jugement
sommaire en faveur de C.J.M. et de TG 378.
(1) Norme de contrôle [30] L’analyse de la question de savoir si un jugement
sommaire aurait dû être rendu fait appel à une norme de contrôle différente de celle qui s’applique dans l’analyse de l’obligation de diligence. Dans l’arrêt apériteur Hryniak c. Mauldin , 2014 CSC 7 , [2014] 1 R.C.S. 87, la Cour suprême du Canada s’est exprimée ainsi au sujet de la norme de contrôle applicable au jugement
sommaire : À mon avis, en l’absence d’une erreur de droit, l’exercice des pouvoirs que confère la nouvelle règle relative au jugement
sommaire commande la retenue. Lorsque le juge saisi d’une requête exerce ses nouveaux pouvoirs en matière de recherche des faits, que lui confère le par. 20.04(2.1) des Règles, et détermine s’il existe une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès, il s’agit d’une question mixte de fait et de droit. Lorsqu’il n’y a aucune erreur de principe isolable, les conclusions mixtes de fait et de droit ne doivent pas être infirmées en l’absence d’erreur manifeste et dominante : Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, par. 36 . [Par. 81]
(2) Les principes et la jurisprudence
[31] Au Nouveau-Brunswick, les dispositions régissant l’octroi d’un jugement
sommaire sont établies à la règle 22 des Règles de procédure . La règle 22.01(3) décrit les circonstances où un défendeur peut demander un jugement
sommaire :
(3) After the defendant has served a Statement of Defence, the defendant may move with supporting affidavit or other evidence for
summary judgment dismissing all or part of the claim in the Statement of Claim.
(3) Ayant signifié l’exposé de sa défense, le défendeur peut, par voie de motion appuyée de preuve par affidavit ou autre, solliciter un jugement
sommaire rejetant tout ou
partie de la demande formulée dans l’exposé de la demande. [32] Plus précisément, la règle 22.04(1) énonce les critères à remplir pour qu’une cour puisse rendre un jugement
sommaire :
(1) The court shall grant
summary judgment if (
a) the court is satisfied there is no genuine issue requiring a trial with respect to a claim or defence, or (
b) the parties agree to have all or part of the claim determined by a
summary judgment and the court is satisfied it is appropriate to grant
summary judgment.
(1) La cour rend un jugement
sommaire lorsqu’elle constate :
a) ou bien qu’une demande ou une défense ne soulève pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès;
b) ou bien qu’il convient de rendre pareil jugement et les parties sont d’accord pour que tout ou
partie de la demande soit tranché de la sorte. [33] Il est clair que les parties n’étaient pas d’accord pour que la présente affaire soit réglée par voie de jugement
sommaire. Ainsi, le critère important pour le présent appel est celui énoncé à la règle 22.04(1)a), savoir que la cour rend un jugement
sommaire lorsqu’elle constate qu’ il n’existe pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès . [34] L’arrêt Hryniak est la décision clé au Canada pour l’application des nouvelles modifications en matière de jugement
sommaire qui ont été adoptées dans notre province en 2016. Même si cette décision visait à fournir une interprétation de la règle 20 des Règles de procédure civile de l’Ontario , cette disposition reprend en général la règle 22 des Règles de notre province. Aussi, notre Cour a cité cet arrêt en l’approuvant dans plusieurs de ses décisions : voir, en particulier, CG Group Ltd. c. Girouard et autres , 2018 NBCA 59 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 210 (QL), et O’Toole c.
Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 14 (QL). [35] Dans l’arrêt Hryniak , la juge Karakatsanis a expliqué davantage l’analyse qui s’impose afin de déterminer s’il existe une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès : Il n’existe pas de véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès lorsque le juge est en mesure de statuer justement et équitablement au fond sur une requête en jugement
sommaire. Ce sera le cas lorsque la procédure de jugement
sommaire (1) permet au juge de tirer les conclusions de fait nécessaires, (2) lui permet d’appliquer les règles de droit aux faits et (3) constitue un moyen proportionné, plus expéditif et moins coûteux d’arriver à un résultat juste. [Par. 49] [36] À la lumière de ces facteurs, le juge saisi de la motion était justifié de rejeter par voie de jugement
sommaire la demande faite contre C.J.M. et TG 378. Dans le cas de la motion, tout comme en l’espèce, les faits acceptés créaient la situation la plus défavorable pour C.J.M. et TG 378. On a présumé qu’une illusion d’optique amènerait une personne se trouvant dans le terrain de stationnement du 388, chemin Gauvin, à croire que ce terrain de stationnement et le terrain de stationnement adjacent étaient au même niveau ou à peu près. On a présumé aussi que l’aménagement du terrain effectué par C.J.M. avait modifié la dénivellation entre les deux biens (ce qui est nié).
Toutefois, si l’on applique le droit à ces faits, pour les motifs énoncés précédemment, aucune responsabilité ne peut être attribuée à C.J.M. et à TG 378 parce que la seule véritable question en litige en l’espèce a trait à une question de droit. Voici ce que la règle 22.04(5) prévoit expressément lorsqu’il s’agit d’une question de droit :
(5) If the court is satisfied the only genuine issue is a question of law, the court may determine that question and grant judgment accordingly.
(5) Si elle constate que la seule véritable question en litige a trait à une question de droit, la cour peut la trancher, puis rendre jugement en conséquence. [37] À mon avis, il est clair que, puisque C.J.M. et TG 378 n’avaient aucune obligation en droit envers M. Sood, il n’existe aucune véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès impliquant ces parties. Étant donné la nature impérative de la règle 22.04(1), qui prévoit que la cour rend un jugement
sommaire, et étant donné aussi l’absence d’une erreur du genre indiqué ci-dessus, ce moyen d’appel doit être rejeté. [38] À mon avis, il est clair que, puisque C.J.M. et TG 378 n’avaient aucune obligation en droit envers M. Sood, il n’existe aucune véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès impliquant ces parties. Étant donné la nature impérative de la règle 22.04(1), qui prévoit que la cour rend un jugement
sommaire, et étant donné aussi l’absence d’une erreur du genre indiqué ci-dessus, ce moyen d’appel doit être rejeté. [39] Je reconnais que le fait d’avoir, en l’espèce, plus d’une
partie défenderesse et une seule qui sollicite un jugement
sommaire pose un problème unique. En effet, la juge Karakatsanis s’est penchée sur ce problème dans l’arrêt Hryniak : […] Par exemple, si certaines des demandes contre certaines des parties seront de toute façon tranchées à l’issue d’un procès, il peut ne pas être dans l’intérêt de la justice d’exercer les nouveaux pouvoirs en matière de recherche des faits pour rendre un jugement
sommaire contre un seul défendeur. Un tel jugement
sommaire partiel risque d’entraîner des procédures répétitives ou de mener à des conclusions de fait contradictoires; par conséquent, l’exercice de ces pouvoirs n’est peut-être pas dans l’intérêt de la justice. Par contre, le règlement d’une demande importante visant une
partie clé pourrait favoriser nettement l’accès à la justice et constituer la mesure la plus proportionnée, expéditive et économique. [Par. 60] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [40] Il faut donc se pencher sur le caractère approprié d’un jugement
sommaire qui rejette la demande contre une ou plusieurs parties à l’action, alors que d’autres parties à l’action subiront tout de même le procès. Cela est surtout vrai lorsqu’il faut procéder à une recherche des faits. Dans Butera c. Chown, Cairns LLP , 2017 ONCA 783 , [2017] O.J. No. 5267 (QL), la Cour a examiné cet aspect de la question. Rendant jugement au nom de la Cour, la juge d’appel Pepall a examiné un certain nombre de facteurs qui entrent en jeu lorsqu’il s’agit de rendre un jugement
sommaire partiel. Certains de ces facteurs sont tirés de décisions antérieures à l’arrêt Hryniak ; d’autres viennent à l’esprit parce qu’ils sont [TRADUCTION] « tout le contraire des objectifs explicites qui sous-tendent l’arrêt Hryniak » (par. 29 ).
J’adopterais les facteurs soulevés par la juge d’appel Pepall et je les énoncerais sous la forme des questions suivantes : 1) En l’espèce, la question en litige pour laquelle un jugement est demandé peut-elle être séparée facilement du reste de l’affaire? 2) Y a-t-il un risque de tirer au procès des conclusions répétitives ou contradictoires, notamment dans le cas où le dossier d’instruction peut être différent du dossier afférent à la motion? 3) Serait-il recommandé de rendre un jugement
sommaire partiel dans le contexte de l’ensemble de l’action? 4) La motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire aurait-elle pour effet de retarder l’audition de l’action principale, compte tenu de la possibilité d’appel? 5) Les coûts afférents à la motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire sont-ils justifiables? 6) Le temps nécessaire passé en cour pour trancher une question qui ne réglera pas l’ensemble de l’action vaut-il la peine? [41] La juge d’appel Pepall a résumé le critère applicable :
[TRADUCTION] Lorsqu’il dépose une motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire partiel, l’auteur de la motion devrait tenir compte de ces facteurs afin de déterminer si la motion est souhaitable dans le contexte de l’ensemble de l’action. Une motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire partiel devrait être considérée comme une procédure rare, qui est réservée aux cas où une question ou plusieurs questions en litige peuvent être séparées facilement de celles de l’action principale et tranchées de manière expéditive et économique.
Une telle démarche concorde avec les objectifs énoncés par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Hryniak et avec la directive selon laquelle les Règles doivent être interprétées de manière souple afin d’obtenir le règlement le plus juste, expéditif et économique de toute action civile au fond. [Par. 34] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [42] La mise en garde faite dans l’arrêt Butera a été située en contexte dans la décision Concord Plumbing & Heating Ltd. c. Canadian Tire Real Estate Limited , 2018 ONSC 6361 , [2018] O.J.
No. 5572 (QL), où le juge DiLuca a fourni l’explication suivante : [TRADUCTION] La mise en garde concernant les jugements
sommaires partiels qui a été faite dans Butera c. Chown, Cairns LLP ne signifie pas qu’il n’est jamais approprié de rendre un jugement
sommaire partiel. En effet, lorsqu’il est possible de déterminer et de trancher une question juridique ou factuelle distincte sans risque de tirer des conclusions contradictoires et d’engager des procédures répétitives, les motions en jugement
sommaire partiel demeurent une procédure appropriée; voir Larizza c. Royal Bank [of Canada] , 2018 ONCA 632 , Sirois c. Weston , 2017 ONCA 1002 […]. Même dans les situations où la question à trancher n’est pas complètement distincte, les tribunaux ont accordé un jugement
sommaire partiel si le jugement
sommaire était autrement considéré comme un moyen juste et proportionné pour le règlement de l’action; voir Kueber c. Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre , 2018 ONCA 125 [(C.A. Ont.)] […]. [Par. 22] [43] J’applique ces critères à la présente affaire et je conclus que le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur en rejetant par voie de jugement
sommaire la demande formée contre C.J.M. et TG 378. La question de savoir si C.J.M. ou TG 378 avaient quelque obligation de diligence était une question de droit qui n’établissait rien d’autre que la responsabilité, le cas échéant, qui pouvait découler de leurs actes ou omissions. La conclusion selon laquelle ces sociétés n’avaient aucune obligation de diligence envers M. Sood a été tirée dans le contexte d’une demande présentée par M. Sood et d’une demande entre défendeurs présentée par M. Babin, la Cour présumant que les faits allégués étaient vrais. En jugeant qu’aucune obligation de diligence n’est imputable à C.J.M. et à TG 378 à
titre d’occupantes du bien situé à un niveau inférieur et sur lequel M. Sood a tenté de s’introduire en empruntant une voie autre que la voie d’entrée principale, ni le juge saisi de la motion ni notre Cour n’ont tiré des conclusions quant au reste des questions en litige. Les questions de savoir si M. Babin avait une obligation de diligence et, dans l’affirmative, s’il y a eu manquement à la norme de diligence, ainsi que celles de savoir si une certaine responsabilité lui est imputable, ou encore s’il y a eu négligence de la victime sont toutes des questions qui ne sont pas touchées par le jugement
sommaire. Il n’y a aucun risque de parvenir à des conclusions répétitives ou contradictoires. [44] Cela apporte des réponses aux deux premières questions énoncées ci-dessus et dont il faut tenir compte. Les autres questions représentent des aspects qu’un juge saisi d’une motion doit prendre en compte lorsqu’il décide s’il doit ou non exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire de rendre un jugement
sommaire. Dans la présente affaire, le juge a estimé de toute évidence qu’il convenait de rendre le jugement
sommaire dans le contexte de l’ensemble de l’action. Le juge saisi de la motion a rendu un jugement
sommaire en faveur d’une seule des parties malgré ce qui suit : 1) sa décision ne règlerait pas l’action en entier; 2) l’octroi d’un jugement
sommaire pourrait retarder l’action principale – au bout du compte, un appel a été interjeté; 3) il s’ensuivrait probablement une augmentation des coûts pour les parties; et 4) il était à tout le moins incertain que la motion (comme l’appel qui pourrait en résulter) valait la peine pour ce qui était du temps passé en cour. Même si ces facteurs militaient contre l’octroi d’un jugement
sommaire, il reste que la décision du juge d’exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire de rejeter par voie de jugement
sommaire la demande formée contre C.J.M. et TG 378 est une décision à l’égard de laquelle notre Cour doit faire preuve de retenue. Qui plus est, il est trop tard maintenant pour remettre le génie dans sa bouteille, pour ainsi dire. Force est de reconnaître que, malgré les facteurs qui militaient contre l’octroi d’un jugement
sommaire en faveur d’une seule partie, le juge a exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire et il a rendu l’ordonnance sollicitée. En conséquence, s’il est conclu que la décision du juge est correcte en droit, il ne servirait à rien de remettre en cause l’exercice de ce pouvoir discrétionnaire. V.
Dispositif [ 45 ] Pour résumer, je conclus que le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur lorsqu’il a décidé que C.J.M. et TG 378 n’avaient pas d’obligation de diligence envers le conducteur qui a tenté de s’introduire sur leur bien à partir d’un terrain de stationnement adjacent qui se trouvait en hauteur par rapport à leur bien. Puisque la décision du juge à cet égard était une décision correcte, il n’y a pas lieu pour notre Cour d’intervenir dans cet exercice, par le juge saisi de la motion, de son pouvoir discrétionnaire de rejeter par voie de jugement
sommaire l’action intentée à ces parties. Je suis donc d’avis de rejeter l’appel. Ce faisant, je condamnerais M. Babin à payer à C.J.M. et à TG 378 des dépens de 2 500 $.