Ross Barros Appellant v. Her Majesty The Queen, 2011 SCC 51
Opinion
SUPREME COURT OF CANADA Citation: R. v. Barros, 2011 SCC 51 , [2011] 3 S.C.R. 368 Date: 20111026 Docket: 33727 Between: Ross Barros Appellant and Her Majesty The Queen Respondent - and - Director of Public Prosecutions, Attorney General of Ontario, Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, Canadian Crime Stoppers Association, Canadian Civil Liberties Association and Criminal Lawyers’ Association of Ontario Interveners Coram: McLachlin C.J. and Binnie, LeBel, Deschamps, Fish, Abella, Charron, Rothstein and Cromwell JJ.
Reasons for Judgment: (paras. 1 to 83) Reasons Dissenting in Part: (paras. 84 to 104): Reasons Dissenting in Part: (paras. 105 to 126): Binnie J. (McLachlin C.J. and LeBel, Deschamps, Abella, Charron and Rothstein JJ. concurring) Fish J. Cromwell J. R. v. Barros , 2011 SCC 51, [2011] 3 S.C.R. 368
Ross Barros Appellant v. Her Majesty The Queen Respondent and Director of Public Prosecutions, Attorney General of Ontario, Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, Canadian Crime Stoppers Association, Canadian Civil Liberties Association and Criminal Lawyers’ Association of Ontario Interveners Indexed as: R. v. Barros 2011 SCC 51 File No.: 33727. 2011: January 25; 2011: October 26.
Present: McLachlin C.J. and Binnie, LeBel, Deschamps, Fish, Abella, Charron, Rothstein and Cromwell JJ. on appeal from the court of appeal for alberta Criminal law — Informer privilege — Private investigator hired by defence to identify confidential police informant — Investigator allegedly attempting to obtain stay of charges by identifying informant — Whether investigator bound by informer privilege.
Criminal law — Appeals — Powers of court of appeal — Private investigator hired by defence to identify confidential police informant — Investigator allegedly attempting to obtain stay of charges by identifying informant — Investigator charged with one count of obstructing justice and two counts of extortion — Court of appeal overturning acquittals and ordering new trial — Whether trial judge committed errors of law allowing appellate review of acquittals — Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46, s. 676(1) (a). B was a former police officer working as a private investigator.
He was hired by the lawyer for Q, who had been charged with several drug offences based on information from a confidential police informant. To discover the identity of the informant, B met with several of Q’s associates and requested their phone records and other information. He then met with the police officer in charge of Q’s case and told the officer he knew who the informant was. B was later charged with one count of obstruction of justice and two counts of extortion.
The judge directed a verdict of acquittal on the obstruction charge (Count 1), finding B was entitled to take any investigative steps to discover the informant’s identity. The judge acquitted B of extortion with respect to the conversation with the police officer (Count 2), because the Crown had not established that B had the objective of ending the criminal proceedings against Q when he spoke to the officer. She also found no legal threat had been made and that the Crown had failed to negate justification or excuse for B’s conduct.
With respect to the extortion committed against Q’s associates, the judge found the Crown proved neither a threat nor the intention required for extortion and acquitted B on Count 3. The Crown appealed the directed verdict and the acquittals. A majority of the Court of Appeal allowed the appeal and ordered a new trial on all three counts. Held ( Fish and Cromwell JJ. dissenting in part) : The appeal should be allowed in part. Per McLachlin C.J. and Binnie, LeBel, Deschamps, Abella, Charron and Rothstein JJ.: The duty to protect and enforce informer privilege rests on the police, the Crown, and the courts.
The latter must not disclose any information that would tend to reveal an informer’s identity. However, the defence, including in this case B, is not bound by any such duty in undertaking its own investigation independently of the courts and the prosecution. The defence is entitled to do what it can to identify the informant and otherwise make full answer and defence, provided that the methods used are lawful. The right to make full answer and defence is fundamental to criminal justice and is protected by s. 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms .
However, not all attempts to identify an informant will be linked to that right. It will depend on the circumstances. Some defence enquiries may amount to an obstruction of justice, or extortion, depending on the manner in which the enquiries are carried out and their intended purpose, and the other circumstances of the case. In this case , the gist of the obstruction of justice charge (Count 1) is not just that B sought the name of the police informer, but that he did so to force the charges against Q to be dropped. This, if established, was not information gathering for a lawful purpose.
Section 139 of the Criminal Code describes a crime that is complete upon proof of an attempt without the necessity of success or actual completion. The offence is framed broadly. The necessary limit is found in the obligation of the Crown to prove the mental element. A directed verdict is not available if there is any admissible evidence, which, if believed, would justify a conviction. In this case, there was evidence against B that, if believed, would establish intent to obstruct justice. To direct a verdict of acquittal was an error of law justifying a new trial.
As to the extortion charge (Count 2), the trial judge erred in concluding that the indirect suggestions and veiled references by B were not capable, as a matter of law, of satisfying the threats element of extortion. A veiled reference may constitute a threat if it is sufficient, in light of all the circumstances, to convey to the victim the consequences which he or she fears or would prefer to avoid. In this case, the question is what would a reasonable person in the position of the police officer understand? The officer testified that he understood well enough that the threat was to his source.
The trial judge erred in her legal analysis of what conduct could qualify as a
threat for the purpose of the extortion charge. Having erred in her legal analysis, the trial judge’s consequential and dependent finding ofB’s lack of the requisite intent cannot stand and the Crown is entitled to a new trial on this count. As to any reasonable justification or excuse, the trial judge accepted at face value B’s explanation that he was trying to behelpful to the police rather than threatening.
However, the trial judge should have considered B’s conduct in its entirety, including thegathering of the information in the first place, and delved below the surface of the exchanges between the accused and the police,particularly where, as here, the protagonists spring from the same occupational background. Much that is understood between them neednot be stated explicitly. As to the last count of extortion, however, the legal errors that tainted the trial judge’s analysis had no bearing on herreasons for acquittal. Count 3 relates to B’s dealings with Q’s associates.
It was rejected on the facts by the trial judge, who found theCrown’s key witness (an associate) to be unreliable. The only other evidence on that count came from statements given by B to thepolice which were largely self-exculpatory. The trial judge thus rejected the existence of any factual foundation to which her admittedlyerroneous legal test could be applied. It would be a serious matter to deprive an accused of the benefit of an acquittal where, as here, theCrown is found to have led no credible evidence to support a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt.
The Crown presumably put forwardthe case it had on Count 3 at the trial. The Crown is not entitled to a retrial based on a trial judge’s flawed legal analysis that had noimpact on the outcome of the case. The verdict of the acquittal rendered by the trial judge on Count 3 should stand. Per Fish J. (dissenting in part): A new trial should be ordered on Count 1 and an acquittal entered on Count 3. As to Count 2, no new trial should be ordered. The trial judge committed no error of law in acquitting B on that count.
Sheexpressly directed herself in accordance with the Ontario pattern jury instructions, noting that she was required, as a jury would be, toconsider B’s entire course of conduct. In considering whether B had a reasonable justification or excuse for his conduct, the trial judgerecognized the need to assess the reasonableness of his conduct in the circumstances, as required by the pattern instructions, and statedthat she had indeed reviewed all of the circumstances. She did not ignore any significant circumstance in applying the law to the facts asshe found them.
Nor did the trial judge misdirect herself as to whether B’s conduct was capable in law of constituting a threat. Nowherein her reasons did she indicate that, as a matter of law, explicit threats or demands were an essential element of extortion. In fact, sheexplicitly directed herself to the contrary. Moreover, in denying the motion for a directed verdict on Count 2, the trial judge concludedthat there was some evidence on every element of the offence. Thus, the trial judge, applying the proper test for a directed verdict, didrecognize that B’s conduct could constitute a threat as a matter of law.
At the conclusion of the trial, she was simply not satisfied as amatter of fact, that the evidence established beyond a reasonable doubt that B had threatened to reveal the identity of the informant. Per Cromwell J. (dissenting in part): The reasons of Binnie J. with respect to Counts 1 and 2 are agreed with. As to Count 3,a new trial should be ordered as well. In reaching her decision on this count, the trial judge considered that insofar as the Crown hadfailed to call certain named and unnamed alleged victims as witnesses at trial, it could not prove that they had been victims of extortion.
The only evidence to consider, in her view, was therefore that given by K. Finding K’s evidence to be mostly unreliable, she acquitted Bon Count 3. It is true that K was the only one of the persons named in the count to testify at trial. However, to succeed on this count, theCrown did not have to prove that B had threatened K. Nor did it have to prove that K felt threatened by B’s conduct. The Crown’sburden was to present evidence, whether from the alleged victims or not, which satisfied each element of the offence.
Even without K’s evidence, there was evidence which was capable in law of proving each element of the offence. Ofcourse, whether the evidence did so is for a trier of fact, not an appellate court, to determine. However, the trial judge’s legal errorcoupled with her failure to turn her mind to these elements had a material bearing on her decision to acquit. That being the case, thecorrect disposition of this portion of the appeal is to direct a new trial, not reinstate the acquittal. Cases Cited By Binnie J. Referred to: The Trial of Thomas Hardy for High Treason (1794), 24 St. Tr. 199; Marks v.
Beyfus (1890), 25 Q.B.D. 494;R. v. Leipert, (SCC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 281; R. v. Basi, 2009 SCC 52, [2009] 3 S.C.R. 389; Bisaillon v. Keable, (SCC), [1983] 2 S.C.R. 60; R. v. Hunter (1987), (ON CA), 57 C.R. (3d) 1; R. v. Scott, (SCC), [1990] 3 S.C.R. 979; Named Person v. Vancouver Sun, 2007 SCC 43, [2007] 3 S.C.R. 253; R. v. McCormack, ; R. v. Broyles, (SCC), [1991] 3 S.C.R. 595; R. v. Davies (1982), (ON CA), 1 C.C.C. (3d) 299;R. v. Babes (2000), (ON CA), 146 C.C.C. (3d) 465; R. v. National Post, 2010 SCC 16, [2010] 1 S.C.R. 477; Carey v.Ontario, (SCC), [1986] 2 S.C.R. 637; R. v.
Hirschboltz, 2004 SKQB 17, [2006] 1 W.W.R. 174; R. v. Hearn, (SCC), [1989] 2 S.C.R. 1180; R. v. Beaudry, 2007 SCC 5, [2007] 1 S.C.R. 190; R. v. Charemski, (SCC), [1998] 1S.C.R. 679; R. v. Bigras, ; R. v. Graveline, 2006 SCC 16, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 609; R. v. Biniaris, 2000 SCC 15, [2000] 1S.C.R. 381; R. v. B. (G.), (SCC), [1990] 2 S.C.R. 57; R. v. Natarelli, (SCC), [1967] S.C.R. 539; R. v.Alexander (2005), (ON CA), 206 C.C.C. (3d) 233, leave to appeal refused, [2006] 1 S.C.R. v; R. v. Royz (2008),2008 ONCA 584 , 248 O.A.C. 361; R. v. Davis, (SCC), [1999] 3 S.C.R. 759; R. v.
McClure (1957), (MB CA), 22 W.W.R. 167; R. v. Hodson, 2001 ABCA 111, 92 Alta. L.R. (3d) 262; R. v. Pelletier (1992), (QC CA), 71 C.C.C. (3d) 438; Vézeau v. The Queen, (SCC), [1977] 2 S.C.R. 277; R. v. Sutton, 2000 SCC 50,[2000] 2 S.C.R. 595. By Fish J. (dissenting in part) Rousseau v. The Queen, (SCC), [1985] 2 S.C.R. 38; R. v. Walker, 2008 SCC 34, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 245; R. v.Graveline, 2006 SCC 16, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 609; R. v. Mahalingan, 2008 SCC 63, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 316. By Cromwell J. (dissenting in part)
R. v. Graveline, 2006 SCC 16, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 609; R. v. Sutton, 2000 SCC 50, [2000] 2 S.C.R. 595; R. v. McClure (1957), (MB CA), 22 W.W.R. 167; R. v. N.N., 2008 BCCA 300, 257 B.C.A.C. 304. Statutes and Regulations Cited Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, s. 7. Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46, ss. 139, 346(1), (1.1)(a), (b), 676. Authors Cited Hubbard, Robert W., Susan Magotiaux and Suzanne M. Duncan. The Law of Privilege in Canada. Aurora, Ont.: Canada Law Book,2006 (loose-leaf updated May 2011, release 12). Watt, David. Watt’s Manual of Criminal Jury Instructions. Toronto: Thomson/Carswell, 2005.
APPEAL from a judgment of the Alberta Court of Appeal (Berger, Watson and Slatter JJ.A.), 2010 ABCA 116, 25 Alta.L.R. (5th) 326, 477 A.R. 127, 483 W.A.C. 127, 254 C.C.C. (3d) 50, 75 C.R. (6th) 257, 208 C.R.R. (2d) 206, [2010] 10 W.W.R. 36,[2010] A.J. No. 387 (QL), 2010 CarswellAlta 643, setting aside the acquittals entered by Veit J., 2007 ABQB 428, 80 Alta. L.R. (4th)390, [2007] A.J. No. 694 (QL), 2007 CarswellAlta 848, and ordering a new trial. Appeal allowed in part, Fish and Cromwell JJ.dissenting in part. Hersh Wolch, Q.C., for the appellant. James C. Robb, Q.C., for the respondent. Nancy L.
Irving and François Lacasse, for the intervener the Director of Public Prosecutions. Paul S. Lindsay, for the intervener the Attorney General of Ontario. Derek Lai and Greg Preston, for the intervener the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police. Robert S. Gill, for the intervener the Canadian Crime Stoppers Association. Anil K. Kapoor and Senem Ozkin, for the intervener the Canadian Civil Liberties Association. Susan M. Chapman and Jennifer Micallef, for the intervener the Criminal Lawyers’ Association of Ontario.
The judgment of McLachlin C.J. and Binnie, LeBel, Deschamps, Abella, Charron and Rothstein JJ. was delivered by [1] Binnie J. — The jurisprudence establishes that the identity of police informers is protected by a near-absoluteprivilege that overrides the Crown’s general duty of disclosure to the defence. This privilege is subject neither to judicial discretion norany balancing of competing interests (although qualified by an “innocence at stake” exception).
The trial judge held however that thisprivilege does not restrict a defence investigation into the identity of a police informant, and further, that the attempt to fetter such adefence investigation would violate the constitutional right of an accused to a full answer and defence guaranteed by s. 7 of the CanadianCharter of Rights and Freedoms. A majority of the Alberta Court of Appeal disagreed.
In its view, on the contrary, informer’s privilegeprohibits the accused or anyone on his behalf from making efforts even wholly independent of the prosecution to discover which of hisassociates, if any, had “ratted” on him. This proposed extension of the rule would transform a rule of non-disclosure binding on thepolice, the prosecutorial authorities and the courts into a general prohibition of investigation into police informers binding on the wholeworld.
In my view, with respect, this goes too far. [2] An accused is not restricted by the narrow parameters of the “innocence at stake” exception when making his or herown enquiries independently of the state but nor can it be said, as the trial judge seems to have concluded, that all attempts by theaccused to identify a confidential informer are constitutionally protected. What is constitutionally protected is the s. 7 right to make fullanswer and defence. Not all attempts to identify an informant will be linked to this right.
It will depend on the circumstances. [3] Some defence enquiries may of course amount to an obstruction of justice, or extortion, depending on the mannerin which the enquiries are carried out and their intended purpose and the totality of the circumstances of the case. Here, for example, theCrown alleges that the appellant, Mr.
Barros, an investigator hired by the defence counsel in a criminal trial, sought by threats or otherunlawful means to find out the identity of the informer for use for an unlawful purpose, namely as a bargaining lever to force the Crownto withdraw the charges rather than risk disclosure of the identity of its informant. The Crown contends that Mr. Barros sought todiscover the identity of the informer — by extortionate means — to have the Crown withdraw the charges against his client, IrfanQureshi. [4] The prosecution’s case was rejected by the trial judge, who was not satisfied that the activities of Mr.
Barros weredirected to obstructing justice, nor, in her view, did the Crown establish the elements of extortion beyond a reasonable doubt. [5] While I disagree with the majority of the Court of Appeal on the scope of the informer privilege, I do agree that thetrial judge erred with respect to her legal analysis of the elements of obstruction of justice (Count 1) and extortion in respect of thedealings of Mr. Barros with the police (Count 2). On these two counts, I agree that there must be a new trial. [6] The second charge of extortion related to the dealings of Mr.
Barros with members of Qureshi’s group (Count 3). It was rejected on the facts by the trial judge, who found the Crown’s key witness (a group member) to be unreliable. The only otherevidence on that count came from statements given by Mr. Barros to the police which were (as one would expect) largely self-exculpatory. The legal errors that tainted the trial judge’s view of extortion had no bearing on her reasons for the acquittal on Count 3.
The Crown has no right of appeal from the trial judge’s findings of fact. In ordering a new trial on Count 3, the Court of Appeal engaged in a reweighing of the evidence and thereby erred, in my respectful opinion. In that respect, the appeal is allowed. In other respects, the appeal is dismissed. I. Facts [ 7 ] In March 2005, Sgt. Kevin Brezinski of the Edmonton drug squad obtained and executed a search warrant at the home of Irfan Qureshi based in part on the information provided by a confidential police informer.
The police seized 1.5 kg each of methamphetamine and cocaine, three handguns, a bulletproof vest and paraphernalia for cooking and packaging cocaine. In the same month a second search netted a seizure of 4 kg of cocaine, 6 oz. of methamphetamine, a handgun, and $55,000. Qureshi and others were charged with a number of drug trafficking and firearms offences. [ 8 ] Defence counsel retained the appellant Ross Barros, a private investigator, to look into the strengths and weaknesses of the Crown’s case. Mr.
Barros is a retired police officer with 25 years of experience with the Edmonton police service, seven of which were engaged in investigating drug crimes. [ 9 ] Mr. Barros decided to take steps to discover the informer’s identity. According to the theory of the prosecution, he met with Qureshi’s associates, told them he was working for the defence and was going to find out who had informed on Qureshi. He demanded the associates’ cell phone numbers to see if any of them had been in touch with the investigating officer, Sgt. Brezinski. Mr.
Barros warned them that the informer in their midst should seek legal advice and contact him so that they could “work this thing together”. [ 10 ] Mr. Barros obtained the associates’ call records from sources unknown. He also compared the criminal record of each of the associates against the disclosed criminal record of the informer to eliminate potential candidates. He helped identify a polygraph operator, and suggested that those of Qureshi’s associates who had not provided their cell phone numbers should instead participate in a polygraph test.
He later began approaching individuals, telling each that he “knew” that person was the informer. [ 11 ] Mirza Kassam, the only one of the associates to testify at trial, said he arrived late at the initial meeting in which Mr. Barros requested the associates’ phone numbers. He left his name and number on a piece of Mr. Barros’s letterhead. After Kassam missed a subsequent meeting, he was instructed to call Mr. Barros, whom he later met in a parking lot. Mr. Barros told him, “[Y]ou’re the informant”.
Kassam says he denied the accusation but was afraid of falling under suspicion because “out there, informants get killed”. Mr. Barros demanded Kassam’s cell phone records. Kassam said he felt that if he did not comply, Mr. Barros would conclude that he was the informer. Kassam testified to his belief that Mr. Barros wanted him to confess so that Mr. Barros could put it to the police that he knew who their source was and get the charges dropped.
Kassam said that after this meeting, despite his denial, the other associates became very hostile towards him and he feared that he might be killed. (The trial judge found this evidence to be wholly unreliable.) [ 12 ] Mr. Barros eventually arranged a meeting with Sgt. Brezinski for May 6, 2005, at a local golf course. Sgt. Krewenchuk was also present at this meeting. Qureshi had a bail hearing scheduled for the same date. Sgt. Brezinski had already recommended bail for Qureshi on strict conditions. Mr. Barros advised Sgt.
Brezinski (up until that time a personal friend) that he knew the identity of the informer but that he had not revealed this information to Qureshi. Nor was he going to advise his retaining counsel of the informer’s identity “at this time”. [ 13 ] Mr. Barros told Sgt. Brezinski and Sgt. Krewenchuk of several cases Mr. Barros recalled from his time on the Edmonton police force where the charges against an accused were dropped in order to protect the informer once the identity of an informer was discovered. Mr.
Barros said that although he had not told anyone about the informer’s identity, he would eventually have to report it to defence counsel. Sgt. Brezinski testified that he understood Mr. Barros to be asking him to drop the charges against Qureshi if he didn’t want the identity of the informer to be revealed. Sgt. Brezinski told Mr. Barros that he was committing extortion and obstruction of justice. [ 14 ] Mr.
Barros was charged with one count of obstructing justice for taking investigative steps to identify a confidential police source “for the purpose of interfering with criminal proceedings” against Irfan Qureshi. He was also charged with two counts of extortion, firstly for attempting to induce Sgt.
Brezinski to withdraw the criminal proceedings against Qureshi at the May 6 meeting and, secondly, for inducing or attempting to induce the associates of Qureshi (including Kassam) to give him personal information including cellular phone numbers between March 7 and May 12, 2005. [ 15 ] In a cautioned statement to police on May 13, 2005, following his arrest, Mr. Barros said that he knew the identity of the informer and was aware that the person thus identified would be in danger if this were disclosed, even if his “identification” turned out to be mistaken.
He agreed that following the arrest of one of its members, a criminal organization will often attempt to identify and eliminate police informers within their group. [ 16 ] Mr. Barros said in his police statement that he knew from previous experience that the protection of an informer’s identity was a paramount concern of the police. He added that he believed it was routine for the Crown and the police to stay the charges against an accused where this became necessary to protect the identity of an informer. He offered a number of examples in which he had done so as a police officer.
He said, however, that he had been motivated in his investigation of Qureshi’s associates to ensure that no harm befell the “source” thus identified. II. Relevant Statutory Provisions [ 17 ] Criminal Code , R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46 346. (1) [Extortion] Every one commits extortion who, without reasonable justification or excuse and with intent to obtain anything, by threats, accusations, menaces or violence induces or attempts to induce any person, whether or not he is the person threatened, accused or menaced or to whom violence is shown, to do anything or cause anything to be done.
(1.1) [Punishment] Every person who commits extortion is guilty of an indictable offence and liable (
a) where a firearm is used in the commission of the offence, to imprisonment for life and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of four years; and (
b) in any other case, to imprisonment for life. 139. (1) [Obstructing justice] Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice in a judicial proceeding, (
a) by indemnifying or agreeing to indemnify a surety, in any way and either in whole or in part, or (
b) where he is a surety, by accepting or agreeing to accept a fee or any form of indemnity whether in whole or in part from or in respect of a person who is released or is to be released from custody, is guilty of (
c) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or (
d) an offence punishable on
summary conviction. (2) [Idem] Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner other than a manner described in subsection (1) to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years. (3) [Idem] Without restricting the generality of subsection (2), every one shall be deemed wilfully to attempt to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice who in a judicial proceeding, existing or proposed, (
a) dissuades or attempts to dissuade a person by threats, bribes or other corrupt means from giving evidence; (
b) influences or attempts to influence by threats, bribes or other corrupt means a person in his conduct as a juror; or (
c) accepts or obtains, agrees to accept or attempts to obtain a bribe or other corrupt consideration to abstain from giving evidence, or to do or to refrain from doing anything as a juror. 676. (1) [Right of Attorney General to appeal] The Attorney General or counsel instructed by him for the purpose may appeal to the court of appeal (
a) against a judgment or verdict of acquittal or a verdict of not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder of a trial court in proceedings by indictment on any ground of appeal that involves a question of law alone; (
b) against an order of a superior court of criminal jurisdiction that quashes an indictment or in any manner refuses or fails to exercise jurisdiction on an indictment; (
c) against an order of a trial court that stays proceedings on an indictment or quashes an indictment; or (
d) with leave of the court of appeal or a judge thereof, against the sentence passed by a trial court in proceedings by indictment, unless that sentence is one fixed by law. III. Judicial History A. Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench (Veit J.), Oral Reasons, December 21, 2007 [ 18 ] The trial judge concluded that there was no evidence upon which a reasonable jury could convict on the count of obstruction because Mr. Barros was constitutionally entitled to take investigative steps to identify the informer and his acts were not criminal. She therefore directed a verdict of acquittal on that charge.
The two counts of extortion proceeded. Both were dismissed in oral reasons for judgment. [ 19 ] In the trial judge’s view, the Crown had not established that Mr. Barros induced or attempted to induce Sgt. Brezinski to withdraw the criminal proceedings against Qureshi. Sgt. Brezinski did not testify that Mr. Barros had explicitly requested the charges be dropped; only that he interpreted Mr. Barros to be asking for this. Accordingly, the prosecution had not proven that Mr. Barros threatened Sgt. Brezinski, nor had it negated any reasonable justification or excuse for his actions.
The trial judge emphasized that Mr. Barros had not disclosed the identity to defence counsel and had generally made an effort to “make sure that no one would get hurt” in the course of his dealings with the police (A.R., at p. 17). [ 20 ] Regarding the second count of extortion, the trial judge found that the Crown had proven that Mr. Barros did induce or attempt to induce Qureshi’s associates to provide their cell phone numbers, but not that Mr. Barros used threats or violence to do so; nor did it establish the absence of any reasonable justification for his actions.
Extortion had not been established beyond a reasonable doubt. Mr. Barros was therefore acquitted on all counts. B . Alberta Court of Appeal (Berger, Watson and Slatter JJ.A.) , 2010 ABCA 116 , 25 Alta. L.R. (5th) 326 [ 21 ] The Crown appealed both the directed verdict on the charge of obstruction of justice and the acquittals on the two charges of extortion. A new trial was ordered on all three charges.
(1) The Majority — Slatter J.A. [22] Writing for himself and Watson J.A., Slatter J.A. held that the trial judgment contained “some factually based errorsthat are so egregious as to undermine the whole verdict, and so amount to errors of law” (para. 27). As to the scope of informer privilegerule, he wrote: Both the existing informer and the potential informer will regard it as equally dangerous regardless of whether their identity is disclosedby the police, or discovered independently by the accused.
In either case, their safety is jeopardized, and the willingness of citizens tocome forward with important information is compromised. Leipert sets out a public policy basis for the privilege that depends onsecrecy; the whole privilege cannot be swept away by saying an accused has a private right to expose informers. [para. 46] Slatter J.A. found that the methods used by Mr. Barros were inherently malevolent and oppressive and inclined to obstruct justice (para.67).
In his view, taking investigative steps to discover the identity of an informer, without more, prima facie amounts to obstruction ofjustice absent a reasonable justification or excuse (para. 68), of which there was none in this case. [23] On the first extortion charge, Slatter J.A. noted that while the trial judge was entitled to deference on her findings offact, her conclusions that the meeting between Mr. Barros and Sgt. Brezinski was about Qureshi’s application for bail on the same date,and that Mr. Barros did not threaten Sgt. Brezinski, were unsupported by the evidence.
The threatened harm was the possibility ofretribution against the informer by Qureshi or members of his group. [24] On the second charge of extortion, Slatter J.A. concluded that the trial judge had misapprehended the evidence, andthat her description of the danger facing a suspected informer as “social pressure” was unreasonable. Mr. Barros did make threatsagainst the associates in order to obtain their phone numbers and call records without reasonable justification and it was a reversible errorto conclude otherwise.
(2) The Dissent — Berger J.A. [25] Berger J.A. argued that the accused was entitled to take steps to investigate the informer in furtherance of hisdefence. The police and the courts have a duty not to disclose the informer’s identity to defence counsel, but the jurisprudence does notplace any such prohibition on the accused or those acting on his behalf. In his view, the majority opinion would transform “theprohibition against revelation to a prohibition against discovery” (para. 117). [26] The trial judge made a finding that the Crown had failed to establish that the purpose of Mr.
Barros in arranging ameeting with Sgt. Brezinski was to stop the proceedings against Qureshi: “It follows that the Crown enjoys no right of appeal in respectof [this] finding which alone is sufficient to dispose of the appeal on count 2” (para. 144). [27] On the second extortion count, there was no reason to interfere with the findings of the trial judge that Kassam wasan unreliable witness and that the other elements of the offence of extortion had not been proven (paras. 149-52). Accordingly, BergerJ.A. would have dismissed the Crown appeal in its entirety. IV.
Analysis [28] The right of an accused to do what he or she can to make full answer and defence is fundamental to criminal justice. Yet informer privilege has been recognized at least since The Trial of Thomas Hardy for High Treason (1794), 24 St. Tr. 199, as anessential element in the investigation of crime and the protection of the public.
Once informer privilege is found to exist, no exception orbalancing of interests is made except “if upon the trial of a prisoner the judge should be of opinion that the disclosure of the name of theinformant is necessary or right in order to show the prisoner’s innocence” (Marks v. Beyfus (1890), 25 Q.B.D. 494 (C.A.), at p. 498; R. v.Leipert, (SCC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 281, at paras. 23-24; and R. v. Basi, 2009 SCC 52, [2009] 3 S.C.R. 389, at para. 43).
However, precisely because informer privilege can place a significant limitation on the activities of the defence, it is important not toextend its scope beyond what is necessary to achieve its purpose of protecting informers and encouraging individuals with knowledge ofcriminal activities to come forward to speak to the authorities. [29] In order to assess the ramifications of the extension of informer privilege endorsed by the majority in the AlbertaCourt of Appeal, it is convenient to set out some of the broad parameters of the relevant law as it presently exists. A.
The Importance of Informer Privilege [30] Police rely heavily on informers. Because of its almost absolute nature, the privilege encourages other potentialinformers to come forward with some assurance of protection against reprisal. A more flexible rule that would leave disclosure up to thediscretion of the individual trial judge would rob informers of that assurance and sap their willingness to cooperate. See Bisaillon v.Keable, (SCC), [1983] 2 S.C.R. 60; R. v. Hunter (1987), (ON CA), 57 C.R. (3d) 1 (Ont. C.A.); R. v.Scott, (SCC), [1990] 3 S.C.R. 979; Named Person v.
Vancouver Sun, 2007 SCC 43, [2007] 3 S.C.R. 253; Leipert; andBasi. The obligation to protect confidential sources clearly goes beyond a rule of evidence and is not limited to the courtroom. As thetrial judge in this case put it, “The police need help, but people who are available to provide information typically won’t give thatinformation to the police unless they are protected” (A.R., at p. 7). [31] Of course, not everybody who provides information to the police thereby becomes a confidential informant. In aclear case, confidentiality is explicitly sought by the informer and agreed to by the police.
As noted in Basi, at para. 36: The privilege arises where a police officer, in the course of an investigation, guarantees protection and confidentiality to a prospectiveinformer in exchange for useful information that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to obtain. Bisaillon, however, added that the promise need not be express. It may be implicit in the circumstances:
The rule gives a peace officer the power to promise his informers secrecy expressly or by implication, with a guarantee sanctioned by thelaw that this promise will be kept even in court, and to receive in exchange for this promise information without which it would beextremely difficult for him to carry out his duties and ensure that the criminal law is obeyed. [Emphasis added; p. 105.] [32] A claim to informer status is always open to challenge by the defence.
The Crown is better able to meet thatchallenge if it can point to clear evidence of informer status being conferred explicitly rather than after-the-fact supposition. Keeping inmind that informer’s privilege was created and is enforced as a matter of public interest rather than contract, it might be argued that in asituation of serious potential danger, the informer privilege (or other public interest privilege) might apply even in the absence of thecontract-type elements of offer and acceptance.
However, that question does not arise on the facts of this case and I say no more aboutthe issue. [33] Unfounded claims to different types of privilege are made from time to time and, as counsel for Mr. Barros pointsout, there have been cases where the police have claimed informer status in manifestly inappropriate circumstances; see, e.g., R. v.McCormack, (Ont. S.C.J.). It would not, I think, be in the interest of justice to accept the proposition of the majorityin the Alberta Court of Appeal that would prevent an accused from ascertaining independently of the state whether facts for such achallenge exist.
No protection is afforded to a “source” whose conduct goes beyond the provision of information and acts as an “agentprovocateur” or is otherwise a material witness to the crime. Both the agent provocateur and the material witness play an active role incriminal investigations and proceedings that goes beyond “tipping” the police. Once a police informer goes into the “field” and acts as apolice agent, the informer privilege is no longer applicable to prevent disclosure of his or her identity in respect of the events in which heor she acted as an agent: R. v. Broyles, (SCC), [1991] 3 S.C.R. 595, at pp. 607-9; R. v.
Davies (1982), (ON CA), 1 C.C.C. (3d) 299 (Ont. C.A.), at p. 303; R. v. Babes (2000), (ON CA), 146 C.C.C. (3d) 465 (Ont. C.A.).
This does not mean, of course, that the informer loses protection in other cases where he or she has not stepped out of the protected role. [34] This Court in Leipert held that the rule of non-disclosure binds the state unless the accused can establish “a basis onthe evidence for concluding that disclosure of the informer’s identity is necessary to demonstrate the innocence of the accused . . . .[M]ere speculation that the information might assist the defence is insufficient” (per McLachlin J., at para. 21 (emphasis added)).
Thisis the “innocence at stake” exception to the general public interest obligation of the state to protect the confidentiality of informeridentity.
The importance of informer privilege should not be allowed to trump “the right of an individual accused to establish his or herinnocence by raising a reasonable doubt as to guilt [which] has always remained paramount” (Scott, at pp. 995-96). [35] The courts will enforce the privilege where it is applicable whether it is claimed or not (Bisaillon, at pp. 84 and 88;Basi, at para. 38), and, as stated, without the balancing of competing interests that applies to some other forms of privilege such asjournalistic privilege, R. v.
National Post, 2010 SCC 16, [2010] 1 S.C.R. 477, or public interest privilege generally, Carey v. Ontario, (SCC), [1986] 2 S.C.R. 637, unless the protection is waived by the informer and the state: Basi, at para. 40; NamedPerson, at paras. 22-23; Leipert, at paras. 12-15; and Bisaillon, at p. 93. [36] These general principles accommodate the rights of the accused and the interests of society and it is important thatthis equilibrium be retained. The argument of Mr.
Barros is that the extension of informer privilege to prohibit any efforts by an accusedto identify independently of the state the identity of the source would upset this equilibrium. I agree with that concern. B. Was Mr. Barros Bound by Informer Privilege? [37] The duty to protect and enforce informer privilege rests on the police, the Crown, and the courts, but we have beenreferred to no prior case where the duty has been extended to the accused and his or her representatives such as Mr. Barros apart from theexceptional case of inadvertent disclosure to defence counsel: see R. v.
Hirschboltz, 2004 SKQB 17, [2006] 1 W.W.R. 174, and R. W.Hubbard, S. Magotiaux and S. M. Duncan, The Law of Privilege in Canada (loose-leaf), at pp. 2-43 and 2-44. There is no authority forthe proposition that the substantive rule of confidentiality means that an accused and his representatives are prohibited from attemptingto identify an informant for a lawful purpose and by lawful means. From the perspective of an accused, discovery of the identity of asource, and the circumstances under which his or her information was obtained by the police, may legitimately play a role in making outa full answer and defence.
There are occasions mentioned in the cases where the “source” turned out to be non-existent, whollyunreliable, or had participated in an entrapment.
In McCormack, for example, it was held that the police had deliberately misrepresentedthree sources, two of whom they had instructed to act as agents and one of whom was a civilian employee of the police force, asconfidential informers simply as an “investigative technique” (paras. 7-21). [38] Informers come in all shapes and sizes, from the concerned neighbour who calls “Crime Stoppers” about allegedchild abuse next door to the drug dealer or the office whistleblower.
Some informers are model citizens, others not so much so; some actin the public interest while others may be driven by motives that are wholly unsavoury. The defence is entitled to do what it can to pokeholes in the prosecution’s case, provided that the methods used are otherwise lawful. An accused is within his or her rights to gatherwhatever information may raise a reasonable doubt even where the conditions triggering the “innocence at stake” exception are notsatisfied.
That exception pertains to disclosure by the state of the informer’s identity, not to information obtained by the defence throughits own resources. [39] Criminalizing efforts by the defence to ascertain the identity of the source independently of the Crown would inmany cases render illusory the right to challenge his or her “informer” status.
The Crown ought not to be able to rely on the prohibitionagainst disclosure by the state of allegedly privileged information to prevent an independent defence investigation that may yieldinformation which will result in the rejection of the privilege claim itself. [40] The majority in the court below held that apart from the “innocence at stake” exception an accused has no “right” todisclosure of a confidential informant’s identity (para. 41). This is true, but the question is not whether he has a “right” to disclosure.
Hecertainly has a “right” under s. 7 of the Charter to defend himself and, generally speaking, what is not prohibited by law (or professionalethics in the case of defence counsel) is permitted. [41] Whether an investigation has crossed a line into obstruction of justice must be determined on a case-by-case
evaluation of the totality of circumstances, which may include the methods and purpose of the defence investigation, and the use towhich any information obtained is put.
If all the elements of the offence of obstruction are met, a bald assertion that the investigationfurthers the mounting of a full answer and defence will not excuse otherwise unlawful conduct. [42] In much the same vein, the fact that an independent investigation of a police informer is permissible (so long as it iscarried out in a manner that does not cross the line into criminality) does not mean that the investigator is free to use the fruits of aninvestigation as he or she sees fit.
Where an informant is in a position of significant danger, as is frequently the case in dealing withorganized crime and drug trafficking offences, the investigation must proceed in a responsible manner with due regard to the potential ofobstructing justice. [43] Discussions with prosecutors or police officers carry particular dangers.
These individuals are bound to protect theidentity of informers, and efforts to elicit information they are not permitted to disclose will not be tolerated. [44] Accordingly, the general prohibition against defence investigation propounded in the court below is too broad, in myrespectful opinion. The state will refuse to disclose any information that would tend to reveal an informer’s identity, and this will beenforced in the public interest, but the defence, including in this case Mr.
Barros in his function as private investigator, is not bound byany such duty in undertaking its own investigation independently of the courts and the prosecution. Of course, a lawful activity may bepursued by unlawful means or for an unlawful purpose, but that is a different issue and one that is raised on the facts of this case and towhich I now turn. C. Obstruction of Justice [45] This count in the indictment was disposed of by the trial judge by way of a directed verdict.
The Crown alleged thatthe appellant did unlawfully and wilfully attempt to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice by taking investigative steps to identify aconfidential police source for the purpose of interfering with criminal proceedings against Irfan Qureshi, contrary to section 139(2) of theCriminal Code of Canada. [46] The gist of the charge is not just that the appellant sought the name of the police informer, but that he did so “for thepurpose of interfering with criminal proceedings”, i.e. to have the charges against Qureshi dropped.
This, if established, was notinformation gathering for a lawful purpose.
Section 139 describes a crime that is complete upon proof of an attempt without thenecessity of success or actual completion: R. v. Hearn, (SCC), [1989] 2 S.C.R. 1180. The offence is framed broadly. The necessary limit is found in the obligation of the Crown to prove the mental element: R. v. Beaudry, 2007 SCC 5, [2007] 1 S.C.R.190, at para. 52. There was evidence against Mr.
Barros that, if believed, would establish an intent to obstruct justice. [47] The trial judge directed a verdict of acquittal on this charge because, in part [t]he doing of a lawful act, here identifying a police informant, does not in itself constitute an obstruction of justice; at the most, it mightconstitute preparation for an attempt to obstruct justice if the information concerning the police informant is used in a way which tendsto obstruct the administration of justice.
Without more, the mere taking of investigative steps to determine the identity of an informantcannot result in an injustice or an affront to the system of justice. [para. 22] [48] A directed verdict is not available if there is any admissible evidence, whether direct or circumstantial which, ifbelieved by a properly charged jury acting reasonably, would justify a conviction: R. v. Charemski, (SCC), [1998] 1S.C.R. 679, at paras. 1-4; R. v. Bigras, (Ont. C.A.), at paras. 10-17. Whether or not the test is met on the facts is aquestion of law which does not command appellate deference to the trial judge.
An error of law grounds a Crown appeal under s. 676 ofthe Criminal Code. [49] In my view, the trial judge erred in directing a verdict of acquittal on this charge. In characterizing the conduct ofMr. Barros as mere “preparation”, the trial judge failed to take into account the entire chain of events. There was evidence which, ifbelieved, went far beyond the preparation stage. As Slatter J.A. pointed out, once Mr. Barros thought he had discovered the informer’sidentity, he set up a meeting with Sgt. Brezinski to explain his “dilemma”, namely that if the charges were not dropped, Mr.
Barroswould “be forced to write a letter to [his instructing counsel] outlining his investigation”, and whatever counsel did with that informationwould be up to him (R.R., vol. I, at pp. 50-56, and vol. IV, at p. 22). Mr. Barros pointed out to the Edmonton police officers that hisinvariable experience was that in these circumstances, the charges would be stayed. He also noted that his retaining counsel had actuallyused such information in the past to obtain a stay of charges.
He regarded it as a proper and available modus operandi for the defence. [50] While I do not agree with the Court of Appeal that “undermining the privilege by attempting to identify an informerprima facie amounts to obstruction” (para. 68), I do agree that a trier of fact might reasonably conclude that the evidence in this casetaken as a whole, if believed, demonstrated an intent to obstruct unlawfully the trial on the merits of the charges against Qureshi. [51] I conclude that to direct a verdict of acquittal on the obstruction of justice charges was an error of law justifying anew trial. D.
Extortion to Obtain Withdrawal of Charges Against Qureshi [52] It is common ground that no appeal lies from the trial judge’s acquittal of Mr. Barros on the extortion charges excepton a question of law; see s. 676(1)(
a) of the Criminal Code; R. v. Graveline, 2006 SCC 16, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 609. Although in R. v.Biniaris, 2000 SCC 15, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 381, the Court held that the reasonableness of a conviction raised an issue of law (“[w]hether aconviction can be said to be unreasonable, or not supported by the evidence, imports in every case the application of a legal standard”(para. 23)), there is no corresponding right of the Crown to appeal what it considers to be an unreasonable acquittal, as Arbour J. madeclear in Biniaris itself, at para. 32:
There can be no suggestion that the Crown’s right of appeal at first instance is being enlarged or expanded to include“unreasonable acquittals” as a result of the determination that the reasonableness of a verdict is a “question of law” as well as a “questionof law alone”. As before, the Crown is barred from appealing an acquittal on the sole basis that it is unreasonable, without asserting anyother error of law leading to it. However, if a trial judge misdirects himself or herself on the law to be applied to the facts, an error of law will be committed sufficient toground a Crown appeal under s. 676; see R. v.
B. (G.), (SCC), [1990] 2 S.C.R. 57: . . . the essential caveat [is] that the “misapprehension” or “lack of appreciation” of the relevant evidence must have been theresult of the trial judge’s misdirection of himself or herself as to the applicable law . . . . [p. 75] I share the view of Slatter J.A. that the trial judge misdirected herself in this case on the legal character of the “threats, accusations,menaces or violence” as well as other elements of the offence necessary to support a conviction. [53] Extortion requires the Crown to establish beyond a reasonable doubt (
i) that the accused has induced or attempted toinduce someone to do something or to cause something to be done; (ii) that the accused has used threats, accusations, menaces orviolence; (iii) that he or she has done so with the intention of obtaining something by the use of threats; and (iv) that either the use of thethreats or the making of the demand for the thing sought to be obtained was without reasonable justification or excuse: see R. v.Natarelli, (SCC), [1967] S.C.R. 539; D.
Watt, Watt’s Manual of Criminal Jury Instructions (2005). [54] Of particular pertinence in Natarelli is the instruction by Cartwright J. (later Chief Justice), speaking for the Court,that “one item in the accused’s course of conduct” is not to be isolated, but taken in the context of the “course of conduct considered inits entirety” (p. 546).
Although Cartwright J. was speaking in relation to whether the conduct was “justifiable or excusable”, hisobservation applies with equal force to all of the elements of the charge of extortion. [55] The need to view the conduct of the accused in its entirety and in context was further addressed by the Ontario Courtof Appeal in R. v. Alexander (2005), (ON CA), 206 C.C.C. (3d) 233, leave to appeal refused, [2006] 1 S.C.R. v. Itwas argued in that case that extortion was not made out because the “threats”, however distasteful, were not themselves unlawful.
Doherty J.A. commented: When an accused charged with extortion has used threats in an attempt to collect a legitimate debt, the trier of fact must consider all ofthe circumstances, including the nature of the threat and the nature of the demand, to determine whether the Crown has proved beyond areasonable doubt that there was no reasonable justification or excuse for the threat. [para. 84] (See also R. v. Royz (2008), 2008 ONCA 584 , 248 O.A.C. 361.) The Crown’s position is that the trial judge failed to consider the relevant events in context and misapplied the proper legal test.
In theresult, it argues, her analysis was flawed by a series of legal errors. [56] Count 2 of the indictment alleges that the appellant did, without reasonable justification or excuse and with intent to obtain an end to criminal proceedings against Irfan Qureshi,by threats, accusations, menaces or violence induce or attempt to induce Detective Kevin Brezinski to take steps to cease criminalproceedings against Irfan Qureshi . . . . [57] The trial judge concluded that Mr.
Barros had not engaged in conduct prohibited by s. 346 and thus “since in myview there were no threats, of course the third element [mens rea] also is not proved” (A.R., at p. 12). Her conclusion regarding theintent of Mr. Barros was therefore linked to her view of what constitutes a “threat” in law. [58] In my respectful view, the trial judge made two errors of law that vitiate her verdict of acquittal on this count: (
i) she failed to consider elements of the conduct of Mr. Barros in the context of his entire course of behaviour, contrary to Natarelli; (ii) she adopted an erroneously narrow view of what conduct is in law capable of constituting a threat or menace. In what can betaken as a
summary of her approach to this branch of the case she stated that “it is not every pressure that qualifies as the threat that ismeant in the Parliament’s definition of ‘extortion’” (A.R., at p. 12 (emphasis added)). (
i) The Appellant’s Conduct [59] The first task is to identify the “something” sought by Mr. Barros by alleged threats or menaces and the person fromwhom this was sought. The indictment identifies the “something” as obtaining “an end to criminal proceedings against Irfan Qureshi”and accuses the appellant of seeking to obtain this by inducing or attempting “to induce Detective Kevin Brezinski to take steps” towithdraw the charges against Qureshi. This is alleged to have happened during the golf course meeting of May 6. Because this isclosely related to the alleged use of threats by Mr.
Barros, I will now turn to that point. (ii) The Appellant’s Use of Threats [60] It is true that Mr. Barros did not come right out and say that if the police did not drop the charges against Qureshi the“source” would suffer bad consequences. On the other hand, the law does not require the person accused of extortion to act clumsily andwithout subtlety. What is required is that the message be sent in words definite enough to convey to a person of ordinary intelligence inthe position of Sgt. Brezinski, taking into account his shared police background with Mr.
Barros, a threat of harm to his “secret source” ifthe prosecution was not ended. The trial judge was not prepared to view the alleged threat of Mr. Barros in this broader context. Shestated:
With respect to dropping the charges, in particular, there was no request made, not even Brezinski said so, that Barrosasked for the charges to be dropped. The dropping of the charges was an
interpretation that Brezinski made of Barros’ intention inraising the issue of the informant with Brezinski. [A.R., at p. 10] [61] The key element, as the Court recognized in R. v. Davis, (SCC), [1999] 3 S.C.R. 759, is therelationship between the alleged threats, etc. and the complainant’s freedom of choice: Extortion criminalizes intimidation and interference with freedom of choice.
It punishes those who, through threats,accusations, menaces, or violence induce or attempt to induce their victims into doing anything or causing anything to be done. . . . [T]hevictim may be coerced into doing something he or she would otherwise have chosen not to do. [References omitted; para. 45.] Accordingly, a veiled reference may constitute a threat if it is sufficient, in light of all the circumstances, to convey to the complainantthe consequences which he or she fears or would prefer to avoid: R. v. McClure (1957), (MB CA), 22 W.W.R. 167(Man. C.A.), at p. 172.
The courts have elsewhere adopted a similar contextual
interpretation: R. v. Hodson, 2001 ABCA 111, 92 Alta.L.R. (3d) 262, at paras. 11-13; R. v. Pelletier (1992), (QC CA), 71 C.C.C. (3d) 438 (Que. C.A.). [62] The trial judge emphasized at several points the absence of an explicit demand but Mr. Barros conveyed his threatmore subtly for example by referring to what had happened in other cases where an informer was identified, i.e. the charges weredropped. Mr. Barros himself readily acknowledged in his statement to the police that “[t]he Policeman’s responsibility [is] to protect thesource.
I’ve gone through that, I’ve lost major cases [because] of having to protect my source” (R.R., vol. IV, at p. 35). [63] The trial judge took a functional approach to the existence of a threat, i.e. “whatever is communicated must bedefinite enough that a person of ordinary intelligence would understand it as a threat of injury” (A.R., at p. 11). What is “definiteenough” will depend on the context. Having stated the test, however, the trial judge demonstrably failed to apply it. She talked the talkbut demonstrably failed to walk the walk. Nowhere in the
section of her reasons rejecting the existence of “threats” does she refer to anyof the factual context at all. Instead, the trial judge looked at dictionary
definitions of the words “threat” and “menace” which describedthem as “a determination or disposition to inflict an evil or injury on another person”, or a “declaration of hostile determination or of loss,pain, punishment or damage to be inflicted in retribution for or conditionally upon some course”. There was, it is true, no such “hostiledeclaration”. Nor, as a matter of law, was one required. [64] The question was, as a matter of law, what would a reasonable person in the position of Sgt. Brezinski understand? The recipient of the message, Sgt.
Brezinski, testified that he understood well enough the agenda being pursued by Mr. Barros — “notspecific words, but the situation” (R.R., vol. I, at p. 95). The message had been received and, to Sgt. Brezinski, its meaning was said tobe unmistakable. A refusal to drop the charges would put at risk disclosure of his source, and at least the potential of retaliation. [65] In my respectful view, the trial judge erred in law in concluding that the indirect suggestions and veiled referencesput forward by Mr.
Barros did not in the circumstances here “qualify”, as a matter of law, as “threats” for the purpose of the extortionoffence. Elsewhere in her reasons, the trial judge found as facts that Mr. Barros told Sgt. Brezinski that he knew “for sure who thesource was” (A.R., at p. 16), and noted Sgt. Brezinski’s testimony that “he felt that his back was against the wall” (p. 15). She observed“there is no doubt that Barros knew from his background what kinds of things would probably be going through Brezinski’s mind as thetopic of an informant came up” (p. 15). Moreover, she emphasized the statement of Mr.
Barros, heavy with portent, that “[w]e don’twant to get anyone hurt here” (p. 17). “[T]he evidence establishes”, she wrote, “that Barros knew as well as anyone, much better thanthe Court, for example, how dangerous it would be in these circumstances for the identity of an informant to be revealed” (p. 16). [66] It was said that an acquittal on this count may well appear surprising in light of the uncontested evidence before thetrial judge, but, in my view, “the surprise” is readily explained by the trial judge’s misapprehension as to what in law is required toestablish “threats” for the purpose of the extortion offence, and in particular her failure to weigh what was (and was not) said in thecontext of the whole relationship between the individuals concerned. (iii) The Appellant’s Intent [67] As stated, it was the trial judge’s view that because she had concluded that there were no threats, accusations,menaces or violence within the scope of s. 346 then “of course the third element [a culpable intent] also is not proved” (A.R., at p. 12).
As I conclude that she erred in her legal analysis of the conduct of Mr. Barros, her consequential and dependent finding of his lack of therequisite intent cannot stand. I recognize, of course, that the trial judge’s reasons were given orally, and should not be parsed word forword with a nit-picking attitude. Nevertheless, her treatment of the intent of Mr. Barros in approaching the police officers at themeeting at the golf course does not survive scrutiny.
She stated that it had either something to do with bail, clearly something to do with warning the police that information was available in thecommunity and to Mr. Qureshi potentially about who the informant was so that the police could take that into account. [Emphasisadded; A.R., at p. 10.] In short, whatever else he intended, the trial judge found that Mr. Barros intended his declaration of knowledge of the identity of theconfidential informer to influence police decision making. [68] The trial judge’s reference to “something to do with bail” is mystifying.
She had earlier (as noted by Slatter J.A., atpara. 82) intervened during the proceedings to say that there was no factual foundation for raising a question with respect to asking the witness about bail. Bail is not relevant. . . . there is the evidence from the witness [Sgt. Brezinski] that this had nothing -- my recollection of the evidence, againyou’ll correct me where I’m wrong -- the witness said this golf course conversation had nothing to do with bail. [69] More pertinent is her finding that the objective of Mr. Barros was “clearly” to tell the police that information about
the informer’s identity was “available in the community” and that the police “[sh]ould take that into account” (A.R., at p. 10). She then discussed potential police responses. “[T]he police were perhaps going to drop the charges” or “they would have done other things, as indeed turned out to be the case”, or “nothing” (A.R., at p. 10). It is important not to conflate the intent of Mr. Barros which is the legally relevant element, with the possible police responses, which were beyond the control of Mr. Barros and were not legally relevant to his intent.
As there is to be a new trial on this count, I say no more about this element of the case. (iv) Reasonable Justification or Excuse [ 70 ] As to the absence of any reasonable justification or excuse, the trial judge accepted at face value the explanation of Mr. Barros that he was trying to be helpful to the police rather than menacing: The evidence establishes that while Barros said that he knew, he knew for sure who the source was, there was no threat on Barros’ part to reveal the identity of the informant to anyone.
Indeed, the evidence establishes that Barros knew as well as anyone, much better than the Court, for example, how dangerous it would be in these circumstances for the identity of an informant to be revealed. . . . Barros said, We don’t want to get anyone hurt here. And that appears to me to be the case, that Barros was doing what he was doing in an effort to try and make sure that no one would get hurt there. [A.R., at pp. 16-17] [ 71 ] It is true that Mr. Barros said in his statement to the police that he and defence counsel “[did not] want anybody to get hurt”.
He told the police that “I went to Brezinski to prevent that [hurt] from happening or to prevent the possibility of that happening”. However, here again the trial judge, with respect, ignored the legal requirement to view the individual pieces of evidence in the context of the case “in its entirety” ( Natarelli , at p. 546) and to take into consideration “all of the circumstances” ( Alexander , at para. 84 ), leading up to and including the crucial meeting at the golf club. [ 72 ] It is evident that I read the trial judge’s reasons on this extortion count very differently than my colleague Fish J.
I cannot agree with my colleague’s
interpretation even giving the trial judge’s reasons the most favourable
interpretation. For example, my colleague argues that in relation to this fourth element (“reasonable justification or excuse”), the trial judge did instruct herself “to consider the accused’s entire course of conduct” (para. 90). However, my colleague’s citations are on context drawn entirely from the trial judge’s discussion of that fourth element, and the problem, in my view, is that she failed to apply the same contextual approach in dealing with the other elements of the extortion offence. In particular, she ignored the context in assessing whether what passed between Mr. Barros and Sgt.
Brezinski could qualify as “threats, accusations, menaces or violence” within the meaning of s. 346 of the Criminal Code . [ 73 ] If Mr. Barros had not dedicated himself to identifying the informer, thereby opening up the possibility of a deal with the police to drop the charges, the police “dilemma”, as Mr. Barros described it, would never have arisen. [ 74 ] The legal test for extortion requires a court to delve below the surface of the exchanges between the accused and those whom he or she is accused of threatening, particularly where, as here, the protagonists spring from the same occupational background.
Much that is understood between them need not be stated explicitly. In my respectful view, the trial judge erred in law in failing to consider the issue of the threats or menaces in the context of the conduct of Mr. Barros in its entirety and, in particular, of the longstanding relationship between the two men. [ 75 ] In the result, I agree with Slatter J.A. that the trial judge committed errors of law in her analysis of the elements in the first extortion charge.
The Crown is therefore entitled to appeal under s. 676(1) of the Criminal Code , and, in my opinion, the Crown is entitled to a new trial with respect to the golf club meeting with the police. [ 76 ] No party to this appeal contends — or could contend — that the Crown can appeal what it may regard as an unreasonable acquittal. On the other hand, the Crown has every right to an appeal on errors of law giving rise to the acquittal. Where, as here, such errors of law are established on the record, the acquittal must be set aside, not because it is unreasonable but because the verdict is founded on legal error. E.
Extortion to Obtain Telephone Numbers [ 77 ] The Crown charged in Count 3 that Mr. Barros did without reasonable justification or excuse and with intent to obtain information regarding the identity of a confidential police source, by threats, accusations, menaces or violence induce or attempt to induce Nagman Chak, Tim Shapka, Robin Tran, Mike Kim, Mirza Kassam and others unknown to provide personal information including cellular telephone numbers . . . . Although the trial judge viewed the evidence under Count 3 through the same flawed legal lens as she applied to Count 2, there is an important difference.
Leaving aside the self-exculpatory statement given to the police by Mr. Barros, in which, of course, he denied any intent to extort, the only inculpatory evidence from a witness on the receiving end of the threats was Mirza Kassam, who was disbelieved. The trial judge thus rejected the existence of any factual foundation to which her erroneous legal test could be applied. [ 78 ] On this point, with respect, I disagree with my colleague Cromwell J. that a new trial should be ordered because “there was evidence, apart entirely from the evidence of Mr.
Kassam, which could found a conviction, but which the trial judge, because of her legal error, failed to consider. That being the case, the judge’s legal error may reasonably be thought to have had a material bearing on the acquittal” (para. 107). [ 79 ] My colleague and I are agreed that the proper test for ordering a new trial on a charge on which an accused was acquitted was set out in Graveline , at para. 14 : It has been long established, however, that an appeal by the Attorney General cannot succeed on an abstract or purely
hypothetical possibility that the accused would have been convicted but for the error of law. Something more must be shown. It is theduty of the Crown in order to obtain a new trial to satisfy the appellate court that the error (or errors) of the trial judge might reasonablybe thought, in the concrete reality of the case at hand, to have had a material bearing on the acquittal. [Emphasis added.] See also Vézeau v.
The Queen, (SCC), [1977] 2 S.C.R. 277, at p. 292, which requires the Crown to satisfy the court thathad the errors not occurred, there would not necessarily have been an acquittal, a proposition endorsed in R. v. Sutton, 2000 SCC 50,[2000] 2 S.C.R. 595, at para. 2, which emphasized that “the onus is a heavy one . . . the Crown must satisfy the court with a reasonabledegree of certainty”. In the present case, I do believe the trial judge’s erroneous view of the law — while fatal to the acquittal in the firstextortion count — had nothing to do with her acquittal of Mr.
Barros on the second extortion count. [80] In approaching the evidence, the trial judge (accurately) acknowledged that, despite the fact that the charge related toa number of named and unnamed persons, “one was all that the Crown needs” and “all the Crown needs is Kassam” in relation to the“threats” issue (A.R., at p. 19). The trial judge then proceeded to find Kassam’s evidence to be wholly unreliable (A.R., at p. 19).
Sheobserved that he has a poor memory, as he acknowledges himself, by reason of the fact that he has abused drugs and by reason of the lapse of time . . .between the events with which we are concerned and the time when Kassam came to testify. [A.R., at p. 19] Accordingly, when Kassam comes down to particulars, I’m of the view that his evidence cannot be relied upon. So, for example, Kassam talks aboutother people being there, being at these meetings, and someone wanting their telephone records.
I am of the view that he is not reliableeven with respect to that. [A.R., at p. 19] Moreover, even on a review of Kassam’s evidence at face value, she “could not see any admission or any evidence from Kassam that[Kassam] knew of the efforts that were going on within I’ll call it the Qureshi group of associates to try and determine about the identityof an informant” (A.R., at pp. 19-20). [81] In contrast to the charge related to the golf club meeting, where the trial judge did not doubt the credibility of thetwo police officers in attendance, there was no satisfactory factual basis on which a conviction could properly be registered on Count 3.
Mr. Barros did not testify at trial. His 62-page statement to the police (placed in evidence) contains fewer than half a dozen pagesrelating to the meeting with group members. The gist of his statement (on which, of course, there was no cross-examination) was that hisdealings with group members were in the nature of requests, not threats: BARROS: . . . When I left the first meeting, I said you guys talk (unintelligible). If you guys want to leave yournumbers, piece of paper, I will collect it later.
So I left (unintelligible), and they wanted to tell me to fuck off, we’re not doing this(unintelligible) . . . . . . BARROS: But are they going to come and trust me when I tell them out front, I have respect for Brezinski and he’s afriend of mine. RAY: Mm hmm. BARROS: So who knows after I left that first meeting whether they’re going to tell me to fuck off. RAY: Mm hmm. BARROS: No, why would we fucking trust this guy? Who’s to say the numbers that I was given are the real fuckingnumbers? . . . RAY: Now were they ever asked if they wanted to take a polygraph? BARROS: Yes. RAY: Okay.
Was there, was there anything in that conversation that will lead them to believe that if they didn’tleave their number for you, that suspicion would be based upon them, and they would have to take a polygraph. BARROS: No, I said, and I was very specific. If asked, would you voluntarily take a polygraph? Kay, half of theseguys, I’m not even sure if they wrote down the right numbers. [R.R., vol.
IV, at pp. 41, 77 and 42] The prosecution was defeated not by the “legal lens” applied by the trial judge but the insufficiency of the evidence — on any view ofthe law — to support a conviction, let alone satisfying the “heavy onus” to satisfy the court “with a reasonable degree of certainty” thathad the trial judge taken a correct view of the law, she would not have acquitted. [82] It would be a serious matter to deprive an accused of the benefit of an acquittal where, as here, the prosecution isfound to have led no credible evidence to support a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt.
The Crown presumably put forward the caseit had on Count 3 at the original trial. The Crown is not entitled to a retrial based on a trial judge’s flawed legal analysis that had noimpact on the outcome of the case. In the circumstances I agree with Berger J.A. that the verdict of the acquittal rendered by the trialjudge on Count 3 should stand. V. Disposition
[ 83 ] The appeal is therefore allowed with respect to Count 3, the Order of the Court of Appeal for a new trial on Count 3 is set aside and the trial judge’s verdict of acquittal is restored. In other respects, the appeal is dismissed, and the Order of the Court of Appeal for a new trial on the obstruction of justice charge (Count 1) and the extortion charge related to the golf club meeting with the police (Count 2) is affirmed.
The following are the reasons delivered by Fish J. ( dissenting in part ) — I [ 84 ] Like Justice Binnie, and for the reasons he has set out, I would order a new trial on Count 1 and enter an acquittal on Count 3. With respect, however, I am unable to agree that a new trial is required on Count 2. In my view, the trial judge committed no error of law in acquitting the appellant on that count. Accordingly, even if it found her decision unreasonable, the Court of Appeal lacked jurisdiction to set it aside. So, too, do we.
II [ 85 ] Count 2, which concerns us here, alleges that the appellant, Ross Barros, threatened to disclose a confidential informant’s identity in order “to induce Detective Kevin Brezinski to take steps to cease criminal proceedings against Irfan Qureshi, thereby committing extortion, contrary to section 346(1.1) (
b) of the Criminal Code of Canada ” (R.R., vol. I, at p. 13). [ 86 ] The trial judge entered an acquittal on this count because the evidence left her with a reasonable doubt regarding two essential elements: (1) that Mr. Barros’s purpose in meeting with Sgt. Brezinski was to induce Sgt. Brezinski to stop the proceedings against Mr. Qureshi; and (2) the presence of a “threat” within the meaning of s. 346(1.1) ( b ). [ 87 ] In concluding that Mr. Barros’s acquittal on this count should be set aside, Justice Binnie imputes two errors of law to the trial judge: First, that she failed to consider Mr.
Barros’s conduct “in the context of his entire course of behaviour”; second, that she misdirected herself as to whether Mr. Barros’s conduct was capable in law of constituting a threat (para. 58). [ 88 ] In my respectful view, the trial judge’s reasons, read as a whole, disclose neither error. [ 89 ] First, it seems to me apparent from the trial judge’s reasons that she did in fact consider Mr. Barros’s conduct contextually .
As the Crown had suggested, she related the evidence to the essential elements of extortion in accordance with the Ontario pattern jury instructions for that offence. [ 90 ] She expressly directed herself in accordance with those instructions (A.R., at p. 9), noting that she was required, as a jury would be, “to consider the accused’s entire course of conduct” (p. 13). In considering whether Mr.
Barros had a reasonable justification or excuse for his conduct, the trial judge explicitly recognized the need to assess “the reasonableness of the conduct of the accused in the circumstances ”, as required by the pattern instructions, and stated that she had indeed “reviewed all of the circumstances” (p. 15 (emphasis added)). [ 91 ] More particularly, in her detailed review of the circumstances and in evaluating Mr. Barros’s conduct contextually, the trial judge specifically adverted to the evidence: (1) that Mr.
Barros was a “former senior police officer with seven years active service in the drug investigation area”; (2) that he and his police interlocutor, Sgt. Brezinski, knew one another well; (3) that “there is no doubt that Barros knew from his background what kinds of things would probably be going through Brezinski’s mind as the topic of an informant came up”; (4) that Mr. Barros “invited Brezinski to bring along another police officer as a witness to [their] meeting”; (5) that “there was a good deal of openness as between Barros and Brezinski and Krewenchuk [the other officer]”; and (6) that Sgt.
Brezinski “felt that his back was against the wall” (A.R., at pp. 8, 15 and 16). [ 92 ] With the greatest of respect, I am unable in this light to agree with Justice Binnie that the trial judge failed to consider whether Mr. Barros’s actions would have conveyed a threat to “a person of ordinary intelligence in the position of Sgt. Brezinski , taking into account his shared police background” (para. 60 (emphasis in original)). On the contrary, the trial judge referred at least four times to the shared police background of Sgt. Brezinski and Mr.
Barros immediately before turning to consider Count 2 and again later while considering that count. She could hardly have excluded from her reasoning what she took care to include in her reasons. [ 93 ] In short, I see no basis for inferring that the trial judge, in dealing with Count 2, ignored any of the evidence to which she explicitly referred in deciding as she did. Nor am I able to discern in my colleague’s reasons any significant fact or circumstance that the trial judge ignored in applying the law to the facts as she found them.
III [ 94 ] The second error in law attributed by Justice Binnie to the trial judge is that she misdirected herself as to whether Mr. Barros’s conduct was capable in law of constituting a threat. [ 95 ] In this regard, my colleague finds that the trial judge adopted an “erroneously narrow view” of what constitutes a threat at law (para. 58). He concludes that the trial judge erred in finding “that the indirect suggestions and veiled references put forward by Mr.
Barros did not in the circumstances here ‘qualify’, as a matter of law, as ‘threats’ for the purpose of the extortion offence” (para. 65). [ 96 ] With respect, I am not persuaded that the reasons of the trial judge disclose any error of this sort. Nowhere did the trial judge indicate that, as a matter of law, explicit threats or demands were an essential element of e