2016 NBCA 63, 2016 NBCA 63
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK THOMAS DEWITT APPELLANT 4-16-CA THOMAS DEWITT APPELANT - and - - et - RICHARD G. STRANG, TOWN OF SACKVILLE doing Business under the name and Style of TANTRAMAR VETERANS MEMORIAL CIVIC CENTRE, GREG DEWITT and THE CANADIAN MOTORSPORT RACING CORPORATION RESPONDENTS RICHARD G. STRANG, TOWN OF SACKVILLE, faisant affaire sous la dénomination sociale TANTRAMAR VETERANS MEMORIAL CIVIC CENTRE, GREG DEWITT et THE CANADIAN MOTORSPORT RACING CORPORATION INTIMÉS Dewitt v. Strang et al., 2016 NBCA 63 Dewitt c.
Strang et autres, 2016 NBCA 63 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: January 29 , 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 29 janvier 2016 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 28 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 28 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: June 16, 2016 Judgment rendered: November 10, 2016 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice French Appel entendu : le 16 juin 2016 Jugement rendu : le 10 novembre 2016 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Philippe J. Eddie, Q.C., and Michael R. Cormier For the respondents Richard G.
Strang, Town of Sackville doing business under the name and style of Tantramar Veterans Memorial Civic Centre, and The Canadian Motorsport Racing Corporation: Charles A. LeBlond, Q.C. For the respondent Greg Dewitt: No one appeared Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Philippe J. Eddie, c.r., et Michael R. Cormier Pour les intimés Richard G. Strang, Town of Sackville faisant affaire sous la dénomination sociale Tantramar Veterans Memorial Civic Centre, et The Canadian Motorsport Racing Corporation : Charles A. LeBlond, c.r.
Pour l’intimé Greg Dewitt : personne n’a comparu THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by
The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction and factual overview [ 1 ] This appeal engages Rules 23 and 27 of the Rules of Court which allow for a derogation from the traditional approach through pre-trial determinations of a question of law, and where available, the striking of a pleading. [ 2 ] Thomas Dewitt was fifteen years of age when he was left a paraplegic as a result of an accident which occurred while he was participating in a motocross competition.
Prior to participating in the event, both he and his father had signed a document titled “Minor Participant Waiver” in favour of some of the respondents. Mr. Dewitt commenced an action through his litigation guardian, in which he alleged the accident was the “direct result” of the negligence of the respondents. The respondents deny liability. Those to which the waiver applies rely on it as an absolute defence to the action.
In paragraph 13 of their Amended Statement of Defence and Cross-Claim, Richard Strang, the Town of Sackville and the Canadian Motorsport Racing Corporation pleaded as follows: The Defendants Strang, Sackville and CMRC , state and the fact is that the plaintiff and the defendant, Greg Dewitt, executed a waiver releasing the defendants Strang, Sackville and CMRC , and all organizers of the event in question from any liability in the event of personal injury or death.
The waiver of any liability from personal injury or death was signed by both the plaintiff, Thomas Dewitt, and the defendant, Greg Dewitt, on March 15, 2009. The defendants Strang, Sackville and CMRC plead and rely upon the terms and conditions set out in the waiver signed by the plaintiff and the defendant, Dewitt. [Emphasis in Original.] [ 3 ] Following the closure of pleadings, Mr. Dewitt filed a Notice of Motion in which he invoked Rule 23.01(1) (
a) of the Rules of Court , and he requested the determination of the following question: “Is the Waiver executed by the Infant Plaintiff and his father a bar to the Infant Plaintiff’s right of action?” He also sought an order striking paragraph 13 of the Amended Statement of Defence and Cross-Claim on the basis “it does not disclose a reasonable cause of defense”. The document referred to was titled “Amended Statement of Defence and [Cross-Claim]”; however, I observe the Notice of Motion referred to the document as an “Amended Statement of Defence and Counterclaim”. Mr.
Dewitt submits that paragraph 13 does not contain the essential elements of a defence tenable at law and, as such, it should be struck. [ 4 ] The motion judge summarized the issues to be determined as follows: Paragraph 10 of the Brief of Thomas Dewitt sets out their view as to the issue in this motion. Paragraph 10 reads as follows: 10. The issue in this motion is the following: Should the Court strike paragraph 13 of the Defendants’ Statement of Defence? Paragraphs 11 and 12 of the [Defendants’] Brief set out how they see the issues and how it should be dealt with by the Court: 11.
This motion raises the following issues: (
a) Determination of the following question of law: Is the Waiver executed by the Infant Plaintiff and his father a bar to the Infant Plaintff’s right of action?
(
b) Should the Court strike paragraph 13 of the Defendants’ Amended Statement of Defence and Crossclaim? 12. The Defendants submit that: (
a) With respect to the question raised on this Motion: (
i) It should be answered affirmatively: the Waiver is enforceable and can be pleaded; (ii) In the alternative, the Court should decline to determine this question on the grounds that it is an unsettled question whose determination would be facilitated by a consideration of evidence. (iii) The Court should therefore not strike paragraph 13 of the Defendants’ Amended Statement of Defence and Crossclaim. [paras. 13-14] [ 5 ] In dismissing the motion, the judge relied heavily on LeBlanc v.
Boisvert , 2005 NBCA 115 , 294 N.B.R. (2d) 325 , where Drapeau C.J.N.B., writing for the Court, observed that Rule 23.01(1) (a) “is unsuited for the resolution of unsettled, complex and difficult questions […]” (para. 35). The motion judge was also of the view that “ any decision would transcend the parties” (para. 37). Applying these principles, the judge refused to determine the question. He also refused to strike out paragraph 13 of the Statement of Defence on the ground Mr. Dewitt had not met the requirements of either Rule 23.01(1)(
b) or Rule 27.09. II. Issues on appeal [ 6 ] Mr. Dewitt raises three grounds of appeal. He alleges the motion judge erred: (
a) in his application of the tests outlined by this Court for motions under 23.01(l)(
a) and 23.01(l)(
b) of the New Brunswick Rules of Court ; (
b) in refusing to determine the following question of law raised by a pleading in this action pursuant to Rule 23.01 (l)(
a) of the New Brunswick Rules of Court : Is a Waiver executed by the Infant Plaintiff and his father a bar to the Infant Plaintiff’s right of action? (
c) in refusing to strike paragraph 13 of the Amended Statement of Defence and Crossclaim of the Defendants, Richard Strang, Town of Sackville doing business under the name and style of Tantramar Veterans Memorial Civic Centre and the Canadian Motorsport Racing Corporation pursuant to Rules 23.01 (l)(
b) and 27.09 of the New Brunswick Rules of Court . II. Standard of Review [ 7 ] This Court’s jurisdiction is limited to the determination whether the motion judge applied the correct legal test, made an error in principle, or made any palpable and overriding error in his assessment of the facts.
[8] The rules pursuant to which Mr. Dewitt sought relief grant motion judges discretionary power. A motionjudge can dismiss a motion under those rules if he or she believes the question is better determined by a trial judge, and this is so even ifthe moving party has met one or more of the requirements: Agnew et al. v. Dow Chemical Co. et al. (1991), (NBCA), 116 N.B.R. (2d) 1, [1991] N.B.J. No. 427 (C.A.) (QL), at para. 37. As stated, this is effectively what the motion judge did in thiscase. Thus, the applicable standard of review on appeal is that which governs discretionary orders.
This requires us to determine whetherthe motion judge’s decision is the product of either an error in law, an error in the application of the governing principles, a palpable andoverriding error in the assessment of the evidence, or if it is unreasonable. See The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v. TheBeaverbrook Art Gallery, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161, at para. 4, per Drapeau C.J.N.B., writing for the Court. III. Analysis [9] The relevant rules read as follows: 23.01(1) The plaintiff or a defendant may, atany time before the action is set down fortrial, apply to the court (
a) for the determination prior to trial, of anyquestion of law raised by a pleading in theaction where the determination of thatquestion may dispose of the action, shortenthe trial, or result in a substantial saving ofcosts, (
b) to strike out a pleading which does notdisclose a reasonable cause of action ordefence, or […] 27.09 The court may strike out any pleading,or other document, or any part thereof, at anytime, with or without leave to amend, uponsuch terms as may be just, on the ground thatit (
a) may prejudice, embarrass or delay the fairtrial of the action, (
b) is scandalous, frivolous or vexatious, or (
c) is an abuse of the process of the court. 23.01(1) Le demandeur ou le défendeur peut,avant la mise au rôle de l’action, demander àla cour
a) que toute question de droit soulevée parune plaidoirie dans l’action en cours soittranchée avant le procès, si la solution decette question peut régler le litige, abréger leprocès ou réduire considérablement les frais,
b) qu’une plaidoirie qui ne révèle aucunecause d’action ni de défense raisonnable soitradiée ou […] 27.09 La cour peut toujours annuler uneplaidoirie ou un autre document en tout ou enpartie, avec ou sans permission de lesmodifier et aux conditions qu’elle estimejustes, au motif que l’écrit en question
a) peut compromettre, gêner ou retarder lejugement équitable de l’action,
b) est scandaleux, frivole ou vexatoire ou
c) constitue un usage abusif de la procédurejudiciaire. [10] Rule 23 of the Rules of Court permits a court to determine a question of law prior to trial in specificcircumstances, as noted. In his Notice of Motion, Mr. Dewitt sought a determination prior to trial of what he stated was a pure questionof law, asserting the conclusion would shorten the trial, dispose of the action and result in a substantial saving of costs. In his Notice ofAppeal, he claims the motion judge erred in refusing to answer the question. [11] Counsel for the plaintiffs assert the question of law in the case at bar is plain; that is, whether, or not, the
waiver which was signed by Mr. Dewitt, senior and junior, is binding, and would be a complete defence to the action, as pleaded by thedefendants. [12] The motion judge found this question should not be decided by invoking the process set out in Rule 23. [13] At the hearing of the appeal, Mr. Dewitt’s counsel agreed Rule 23.01(1)(
a) only applied if the question raisedin the Notice of Motion was a question of law. He also agreed the waiver raised a question of contract law and conceded, since theSupreme Court’s decision in Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp., 2014 SCC 53, [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633, a question of contractualinterpretation is now determined on the basis of mixed fact and law, unless there is an extricable question of law. An extricable questionof law exists when a matter “involves the
interpretation of a standard form contract, the
interpretation at issue is of precedential value,and there is no meaningful factual matrix specific to the particular parties to assist in the
interpretation process”: Ledcor ConstructionLtd. v. Northbridge Indemnity Insurance Co., 2016 SCC 37, [2016] S.C.J. No. 37 (QL), at para. 46. [14] I agree it is possible that in this case there is an extricable question of law. A court might conclude that awaiver signed by a minor and by a parent is never, as a matter of law, binding on the minor. This is precisely what counsel for Mr.Dewitt submits. He may, or he may not be right. In the case at bar, however, the question to be determined by the motion judge waswhether “the waiver executed by” Mr. Dewitt bars his right of action.
The analytical framework to determine this question can be brokendown by first asking whether a waiver signed by a minor and his parent is ever binding on the minor. If the answer is no, the analysisends. If the answer is that it sometimes can be binding, depending on the wording of the waiver and the circumstances in which thewaiver was obtained, then the analysis continues by asking whether the particular waiver signed in the circumstances of this case has theeffect of barring the Plaintiff’s action.
The first of these questions is one of law, while the second raises a question of mixed law and factsince it involves the
interpretation of a particular contractual provision and its application to the facts of the case. [15] Although the motion judge did not articulate his approach in terms of this analytical framework, it is clear hewas of the view both questions were more appropriately addressed as part of the entire proceeding. The judge pointed to the complexityof the issues to be determined, and to the fact a decision on such an important point of law could have a far reaching impact. This was anoption available to him, in my opinion. [16] The words of Drapeau C.J.N.B. in Saint-François de Madawaska (Village) v.
Nadeau Poultry Farm Ltd., 2011NBCA 55, 390 N.B.R. (2d) 107, are apposite: Finally, even if there were no genuine disputes over the material facts and the only issue was a question of law, I would probably declineto determine that question. The case at hand raises manifold questions of law, few of which, if any, have been conclusively determined inthe jurisprudence. In LeBlanc v. Boisvert, 2005 NBCA 115, 294 N.B.R. (2d) 325, the Court observed that Rule 23.01(1)(a)(“Determination of Questions before Trial”) was generally ill-suited for the determination of novel, complex and difficult questions ofstatutory
interpretation where that determination would: (1) be facilitated by the contextualization provided through the evidence at trial,including evidence shedding light on the object of the statutory provision at issue and the Legislature’s intention in relation thereto; and(2) benefit “from the refinement and honing of arguments that typically takes place over the course of pre-trial preparation and at thetrial itself” (para. 35). That cautious approach applies perforce to the judgment-justifying determination of a question of law under Rule22.04(3). While judges ought not to shy away from applying settled law to settled facts in disposing of motions for
summary judgment, even wherethe questions of law raised are in dispute, Rule 22.04(3) should not, as a general rule, be employed to determine unsettled, complex anddifficult questions of law that turn, as is the case here, not only on policy considerations but, as well, on the contextual
interpretation ofnumerous multi-sourced legislative provisions that may well have been drafted without regard to the larger context and, in particular, anyliability-associated issues (see the discussion on point in Romano v. D'Onofrio, (ON CA), [2005] O.J. No. 4969(C.A.) (QL) and Nadvornianski v. Stewart Title Guaranty Co., (ON SC), [2006] O.J.
No. 2611 (S.C.J.) (QL), whichdeal with Ontario’s Rule 20 (“Summary Judgment”) that is, in some respects, far more liberal than our Rule 22). [paras. 31-32] [17] As for Rule 23.01(1)(b), the motion judge recognized the principle, set out by Drapeau, C.J.N.B. in Sewell v.ING Insurance Company of Canada, 2007 NBCA 42, 314 N.B.R. (2d) 330, that the question for judicial resolution before him waswhether it was plain and obvious that paragraph 13 of the Statement of Defence did not disclose a reasonable defence.
If that were thecase, it would also follow it could be struck under Rule 27.09 as being frivolous and abusive. [18] Mr. Dewitt argues the motion judge confused the principles that apply to Rule 23.01(1)(
b) with those thatgovern Rule 23.01(1)(a). In particular, in refusing to strike out paragraph 13, the motion judge focused on whether his doing so would
result in a shortening of the trial. This, Mr. Dewitt points out, is a consideration under Rule 23.01(1) (
a) but not one under 23.01(1)(b). That may be so, but, absent a determination of the question of the validity of the waiver, how can it be said it is plain and obvious that the waiver defence cannot possibly succeed at trial?
In my view, it simply cannot. [ 19 ] As was decided in Saint-François de Madawaska (Village) , although I agree with counsel for the appellant the motion judge’s reasons evince some confusion over which rule he relied upon, I conclude any related error is inconsequential, and the resulting decision was correct in light of the judge declining to determine the question of law. [ 20 ] The motion judge’s ultimate determination is clear. He refused to exercise his discretion because he felt the issues could be better determined “following a fulsome evaluation of all the evidence and issues” at trial.
He was left in doubt as to the outcome at trial. In my view, this is not an unreasonable decision. It is one with which we should not interfere. V. Disposition [ 21 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal with one set of costs in the amount of $2,500. ___________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. WE CONCUR: ___________________________ J.C. MARC RICHARD, J.A. ___________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction et résumé des faits
[1] Le présent appel vise l’application des règles 23 et 27 des Règles de procédure , lesquelles permettent la dérogation à la méthode traditionnelle par la prise de décisions préjudicielles sur une question de droit et, le cas échéant, la radiation d’une plaidoirie. [2] Thomas Dewitt avait 15 ans lorsqu’il est devenu paraplégique par suite d’un accident qui s’est produit pendant qu’il prenait part à une course de motocross. Avant qu’il ne participe à l’activité, son père et lui avaient tous deux signé un document intitulé [TRADUCTION] « Renonciation du participant mineur » en faveur de certains des intimés.
Une action a été introduite pour M. Dewitt par son tuteur à l’instance : M. Dewitt prétendait que l’accident était le [TRADUCTION] « résultat direct » de la négligence des intimés. Les intimés nient la responsabilité. Les bénéficiaires de la renonciation l’invoquent comme défense absolue à l’action.
Au paragraphe 13 de leur exposé de la défense et demande entre défendeurs modifié, Richard Strang, Town of Sackville et The Canadian Motorsport Racing Corporation ont affirmé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Les défendeurs Strang, Sackville et CMRC soutiennent, et c’est un fait, que le demandeur et le défendeur Greg Dewitt ont signé une renonciation dégageant les défendeurs Strang, Sackville et CMRC , ainsi que tous les organisateurs de l’événement en cause, de toute responsabilité dans l’éventualité de blessures ou d’un décès.
La renonciation dégageant les parties susmentionnées de toute responsabilité dans l’éventualité de blessures ou de décès a été signée par le demandeur, Thomas Dewitt, et par le défendeur, Greg Dewitt, le 15 mars 2009. Les défendeurs Strang, Sackville et CMRC invoquent les modalités et conditions énoncées dans la renonciation signée par le demandeur et par le défendeur Dewitt . [Souligné dans l’original.] [3] Après la clôture des plaidoiries, M. Dewitt a déposé un avis de motion dans lequel il invoquait la règle 23.01(1)
a) des Règles de procédure et demandait que la question suivante soit tranchée : [TRADUCTION] « La renonciation signée par le demandeur mineur et son père a-t-elle pour effet d’empêcher le demandeur mineur d’exercer son droit d’intenter une action? » Il sollicitait également une ordonnance prescrivant la radiation du paragraphe 13 de l’exposé de la défense et demande entre défendeurs modifié au motif [TRADUCTION] « qu’il ne révèle aucune défense raisonnable ».
Le document auquel il est renvoyé était intitulé « Exposé de la défense et demande entre défendeurs modifié »; cependant, je remarque que l’avis de motion renvoyait au document comme s’agissant d’un « Exposé de la défense et demande reconventionnelle modifié ». M. Dewitt prétend que le paragraphe 13 ne contient pas les éléments essentiels d’une défense soutenable en droit et devrait donc être radié. [4] Le juge saisi de la motion a résumé les questions à trancher de la façon suivante : [TRADUCTION]
Le paragraphe 10 du mémoire de Thomas Dewitt énonce le point de vue des demandeurs quant à la question en litige dans la présente motion .
Le paragraphe 10 est rédigé comme suit : [TRADUCTION] 10. Voici la question en litige dans la présente motion : La Cour devrait-elle radier le paragraphe 13 de l’exposé de la défense des défendeurs ?
Les paragraphes 11 et 12 du mémoire des défendeurs énoncent leurs points de vue sur les questions en litige et sur la façon dont la Cour devrait les régler : [TRADUCTION] 11. La présente motion soulève les questions suivantes :
a) La question de droit suivante doit être tranchée : La renonciation signée par le demandeur mineur et son père constitue-t-elle un empêchement à l’exercice du droit de poursuite par le demandeur mineur ?
b) La Cour devrait-elle radier le paragraphe 13 de l’exposé de la défense et demande entre défendeurs modifié ? 12. Les défendeurs soutiennent ce qui suit :
a) S’agissant de la question soulevée dans la présente motion : (
i) une réponse affirmative devrait être donnée, c’est-à-dire que la renonciation est exécutoire et peut être invoquée ; (ii) subsidiairement, la Cour devrait renoncer à trancher la question pour le motif qu’il s’agit d’une question non réglée que l’examen de la preuve permettra de trancher; (iii) par conséquent, la Cour ne devrait pas radier le paragraphe 13 de l’exposé de la défense et demande entre défendeurs modifié des défendeurs . [Par. 13 et 14] [5] En rejetant la motion, le juge s’est beaucoup appuyé sur l’arrêt LeBlanc c. Boisvert , 2005 NBCA 115 , 294 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 325 , où le juge en chef Drapeau, au nom de la Cour, a fait observer que la règle 23.01(1)
a) « est une disposition inadaptée à la décision de questions d’interprétation législative irrésolues, complexes et difficiles […] » (par. 35). Le juge saisi de la motion était également d’avis que [TRADUCTION] « toute décision transcenderait le litige qui oppose les parties » (par. 37). Appliquant ces principes, le juge a refusé de trancher la question. Il a en outre refusé de radier le paragraphe 13 de l’exposé de la défense au motif que M. Dewitt n’avait satisfait aux exigences ni de la règle 23.01(1)
b) ni de la règle 27.09 . II. Questions soulevées en appel [6] M. Dewitt invoque trois moyens d’appel. Il prétend que le juge saisi de la motion a commis des erreurs :
a) dans son application des critères énoncés par notre Cour pour ce qui est des motions présentées en vertu des règles 23.01(l)
a) et 23.01(l)
b) des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick;
b) dans son refus de trancher la question de droit qui suit, laquelle a été soulevée dans une plaidoirie dans la présente action en vertu de la règle 23.01(l)
a) des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick : La renonciation signée par le demandeur mineur et son père a-t-elle pour effet d’empêcher le demandeur mineur d’exercer son droit d’intenter une action ?
c) dans son refus de radier le paragraphe 13 de l’exposé de la demande et demande entre défendeurs modifié des défendeurs, Richard Strang, Town of Sackville, faisant affaire sous la dénomination sociale Tantramar Veterans Memorial Civic Centre, et The Canadian Motorsport Racing Corporation, en vertu des règles 23.01(l)
b) et 27.09 des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick . II. Norme de contrôle [7] La compétence de notre Cour se limite à trancher la question de savoir si le juge saisi de la motion a appliqué le bon critère juridique, a commis une erreur de principe ou a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante dans son appréciation des faits. [8] Les règles invoquées par M. Dewitt pour solliciter des mesures de redressement confèrent au juge saisi de la motion un pouvoir discrétionnaire. Le juge saisi d’une motion présentée en vertu de ces règles peut la rejeter s’il est d’avis que le juge du procès
serait mieux placé pour trancher la question, et ce, même si l’auteur de la motion a satisfait à une ou plusieurs des exigences : Agnew et al. c. Dow Chemical Co. et al. (1991), (NB CA), 116 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, [1991] A.N.-B. no 427 (C.A.) (QL), au par. 37. Comme je l’ai indiqué, c’est effectivement ce que le juge saisi de la motion a fait en l’espèce. Ainsi, la norme de contrôle applicable enappel est celle qui régit les ordonnances discrétionnaires.
Nous devons donc déterminer si la décision qu’a rendue le juge saisi de lamotion est le produit soit d’une erreur de droit, soit d’une erreur dans l’application des principes régissant la question, soit d’une erreurmanifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve, ou si elle est déraisonnable. Voir La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 R.N.-B. (2e) 161, au par. 4, le juge en chef Drapeau, au nom de la Cour. III.
Analyse [9] Voici le libellé des règles pertinentes : 23.01(1) The plaintiff or a defendant may, atany time before the action is set down fortrial, apply to the court (
a) for the determination prior to trial, of anyquestion of law raised by a pleading in theaction where the determination of thatquestion may dispose of the action, shortenthe trial, or result in a substantial saving ofcosts, (
b) to strike out a pleading which does notdisclose a reasonable cause of action ordefence, or […] 27.09 The court may strike out any pleading,or other document, or any part thereof, at anytime, with or without leave to amend, uponsuch terms as may be just, on the ground thatit (
a) may prejudice, embarrass or delay the fairtrial of the action, (
b) is scandalous, frivolous or vexatious, or (
c) is an abuse of the process of the court. 23.01(1) Le demandeur ou le défendeur peut,avant la mise au rôle de l’action, demander àla cour
a) que toute question de droit soulevée parune plaidoirie dans l’action en cours soittranchée avant le procès, si la solution decette question peut régler le litige, abréger leprocès ou réduire considérablement les frais,
b) qu’une plaidoirie qui ne révèle aucunecause d’action ni de défense raisonnable soitradiée ou […] 27.09 La cour peut toujours annuler uneplaidoirie ou un autre document en tout ou enpartie, avec ou sans permission de lesmodifier et aux conditions qu’elle estimejustes, au motif que l’écrit en question
a) peut compromettre, gêner ou retarder lejugement équitable de l’action,
b) est scandaleux, frivole ou vexatoire ou
c) constitue un usage abusif de la procédurejudiciaire. [10] La règle 23 des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick permet à la cour, dans des conditions précises qui y sonténoncées, de trancher une question de droit avant le procès. Dans son avis de motion, M. Dewitt cherchait à faire trancher avant le procèsce qu’il déclarait être une pure question de droit, affirmant que la solution de la question abrégerait le procès, réglerait le litige etréduirait considérablement les frais.
Dans son avis d’appel, il prétend que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur en refusant detrancher la question. [11] L’avocat des demandeurs soutient que la question de droit en l’espèce est simple, à savoir si oui ou non la renonciation signéepar MM. Dewitt, père et fils, est obligatoire et constituerait donc un moyen de défense absolu à l’action, comme le prétendent les
défendeurs. [12] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que cette question ne devrait pas être tranchée sous le régime prévu à la règle 23. [13] À l’audition de l’appel, l’avocat de M. Dewitt a reconnu que la règle 23.01(1)
a) ne s’appliquait que si la question soulevéedans l’avis de motion était une question de droit. Il a également reconnu que la renonciation soulevait une question ressortissant au droitdes obligations contractuelles et que, depuis la décision de la Cour suprême dans l’affaire Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp.,2014 CSC 53, [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633, une question relevant de l’interprétation contractuelle doit être tranchée comme une question mixtede fait et de droit, à moins qu’il ne se dégage une question de droit isolable.
Il existe une question de droit isolable lorsqu’une affaire« porte sur l’interprétation d’un contrat type, que l’interprétation en litige a valeur de précédent et que l’exercice d’interprétation nerepose sur aucun fondement factuel significatif qui est propre aux parties concernées » : Ledcor Construction Ltd. c. Société d’assurance d’indemnisation Northbridge, 2016 CSC 37, [2016] A.C.S. no 37 (QL), au par. 46. [14] Je conviens qu’il est possible qu’il y ait une question de droit isolable en l’espèce.
Un tribunal pourrait conclure qu’unerenonciation signée par un mineur et un parent n’est jamais, en droit, obligatoire à l’égard du mineur. C’est précisément ce que fait valoirl’avocat de M. Dewitt. Il pourrait ou non avoir raison. En l’espèce, toutefois, la question que devait trancher le juge saisi de la motionétait celle de savoir si [TRADUCTION] « la renonciation signée par » M. Dewitt constituait un empêchement à l’exercice de son droitde poursuite.
Il est possible de décomposer le cadre analytique permettant de trancher cette question en se demandant d’abord si unerenonciation signée par un mineur et par son parent peut, dans certains cas, être obligatoire à l’égard du mineur. Si la réponse est non,l’analyse s’arrête là.
Si la réponse est qu’elle peut parfois l’être, selon le libellé de la renonciation et les circonstances dans lesquelles larenonciation a été obtenue, l’analyse se poursuit et il faut alors répondre à la question de savoir si la renonciation en question signée dansles circonstances de la présente affaire a pour effet d’interdire l’action du demandeur.
La première de ces questions est une question dedroit tandis que la deuxième soulève une question mixte de droit et de fait puisqu’elle porte sur l’interprétation d’une dispositioncontractuelle particulière et son application aux faits de l’espèce. [15] Quoique le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas explicité sa pensée en ce qui concerne ce cadre analytique, il est manifeste qu’ilétait d’avis que les deux questions pouvaient être mieux examinées dans le cadre de l’instance dans son ensemble.
Le juge a signalé lacomplexité des questions à trancher et le fait qu’une décision sur un point de droit aussi important pourrait être lourde de conséquences.Cette option lui était ouverte, à mon avis. [16] Les paroles du juge en chef Drapeau dans l’affaire Village de Saint-François de Madawaska c.
Nadeau Ferme Avicole Limitée et Maple Lodge Farms Limited, 2011 NBCA 55, 390 R.N.-B. (2e) 107, vont dans le même sens : Finalement, même s’il n’existait aucun litige véritable concernant les faits déterminants et si la seule question en litige était une questionde droit, je refuserais probablement de trancher cette question. L’affaire qui nous occupe soulève de multiples questions de droit dont trèspeu, si tant est qu’il y en ait, ont été résolues de façon concluante dans la jurisprudence. Dans l’arrêt LeBlanc c.
Boisvert, 2005 NBCA 115, 294 R.N.-B. (2e) 325, la Cour a fait observer que la règle 23.01(1)a) (« Décisions préjudicielles ») était généralement mal adaptée àla décision de questions d’interprétation législative inédites, complexes et difficiles lorsque la solution de ces questions serait : (1)facilitée par la mise en contexte découlant de la production de preuves au procès, y compris une preuve qui éclairera l’objet de ladisposition législative en question et l’intention du législateur relativement à cette disposition; et (2) profiterait « de l’épuration et del’affinement de l’argumentation constatés d’ordinaire au fur et à mesure de la préparation du procès, et au procès proprement dit »(par. 35).
Cette démarche prudente s’applique forcément à la décision d’une question de droit qui justifie un jugement en vertu de larègle 22.04(3). Bien que les juges ne doivent pas hésiter à appliquer des règles de droit établies à des faits établis aux fins de trancher une motion enjugement
sommaire, même lorsque les questions de droit soulevées restent en litige, ils ne devraient pas, en règle générale, recourir à larègle 22.04(3) pour trancher des questions de droit irrésolues, complexes et difficiles dont la solution dépend, comme c’est le cas enl’espèce, non seulement de considérations de principe mais également de l’interprétation contextuelle de nombreuses dispositionslégislatives provenant de sources diverses qui ont fort bien pu être rédigées sans égard au contexte plus large et, en particulier, à desquestions touchant la responsabilité (voir la discussion à ce propos dans l’arrêt Romano c.
D’Onofrio, (ON CA),[2005] O.J. No. 4969 (C.A.) (QL), et la décision Nadvornianski c. Stewart Title Guaranty Co., (ON SC), [2006]O.J. No. 2611 (C.S.J.) (QL), lesquels concernent la règle 20 des Règles de procédure civile de l’Ontario (« Jugement
sommaire ») quiest, à certains égards, beaucoup plus libérale que la règle 22 en vigueur au Nouveau-Brunswick). [par. 31 et 32] [17] Pour ce qui est de la règle 23.01(1)b), le juge saisi de la motion a reconnu le principe, énoncé par le juge en chef Drapeau
dans l’affaire Sewell c. Compagnie d’assurance ING du Canada , 2007 NBCA 42 , 314 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 330 , selon lequel la question qu’il devait trancher était celle de savoir s’il était évident et manifeste que le paragraphe 13 de l’exposé de la défense ne révélait aucune défense raisonnable. Si tel était le cas, il s’ensuivrait également que ce paragraphe pourrait être radié en vertu de la règle 27.09 au motif que son contenu était frivole ou qu’il constituait un usage abusif de la procédure judiciaire. [18] M. Dewitt fait valoir que le juge saisi de la motion a confondu les principes qui s’appliquent à la règle 23.01(1)
b) avec ceux qui régissent l’application de la règle 23.01(1) a). Plus précisément, en refusant de radier le paragraphe 13, le juge saisi de la motion a surtout examiné la question de savoir si le fait de radier ce paragraphe aurait pour conséquence d’abréger le procès. M. Dewitt souligne qu’il s’agit là d’un critère prévu à la règle 23.01(1)
a) mais non à la règle 23.01(1) b). C’est peut-être vrai mais, sans que soit tranchée la question de la validité de la renonciation, comment peut-on affirmer qu’il est évident et manifeste que la défense de la renonciation est vouée à l’échec au procès ?
À mon sens, on ne peut simplement pas l’affirmer. [19] Bien que je convienne avec l’avocat de l’appelant que les motifs du juge saisi de la motion portent à confusion sur la règle sur laquelle il s’est fondé, tout comme la Cour a conclu dans Village de Saint-François de Madawaska , je conclus en l’espèce que toute erreur en découlant est sans conséquence et que la décision qui en a résulté était correcte étant donné que le juge a refusé de trancher la question de droit. [20] La décision finale du juge saisi de la motion est claire.
Il a refusé d’exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire, car il était d’avis que les questions pouvaient être mieux tranchées au procès, [TRADUCTION] « à la suite d’une évaluation complète de toute la preuve et de toutes les questions ». Il avait un doute quant à l’issue du procès. Selon moi, il ne s’agit pas d’une décision déraisonnable. C’est une décision à l’égard de laquelle nous ne devrions pas intervenir. V. Dispositif [21] Pour ces motifs, je rejetterais l’appel avec une masse de dépens de 2 500 $.