2018 NBCA 33, 2018 NBCA 33
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 32-17-CA JEAN-PIERRE LECOMPTE APPELLANT JEAN-PIERRE LECOMPTE APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT Lecompte v. R., 2018 NBCA 33 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Lecompte c.
R., 2018 NBCA 33 CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: October 18, 2016 (conviction) March 2, 2017 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale: le 18 octobre 2016 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 2 mars 2017 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 10, 2018 Appel entendu : le 10 janvier 2018 Judgment rendered: June 14, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 14 juin 2018
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Robert K. McKee For the respondent: Caroline N. Lirette THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelant : Robert K. McKee Pour l’intimée : Caroline N. Lirette LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Jean-Pierre Lecompte and Michel Chiasson were both convicted of trafficking in cannabis (marijuana) ( s. 5(3) (
a) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act , S.C. 1996, c. 19) and being in possession of proceeds of crime over $5,000 ( s. 354(1) (
a) of the Criminal Code ). They have filed separate appeals against their conviction. In his appeal, Mr. Lecompte submits the Provincial Court judge rendered a verdict that was unreasonable and unsupported by the evidence. He also says the judge erred in refusing to stay the proceedings on account of an alleged violation of his right to be tried within a reasonable time, as protected by s. 11(
b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms , and that he erred in declaring a certain RCMP Corporal an expert witness, and then admitting his testimony on an ultimate issue of the trial. For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss Mr. Lecompte’s appeal. II. Background [ 2 ] On April 23, 2014, after receiving information from a confidential source, RCMP officers conducted surveillance of, and eventually intercepted, a vehicle occupied by Mr. Lecompte as the driver and Mr. Chiasson as a passenger.
At the time of interception, the vehicle was travelling on Route 180, a road often used to travel from the northeast of the province to Montréal. They were immediately informed of the reason for the interception and were arrested. The vehicle and the individuals were searched incidental to the arrests. Those searches resulted in the following: 1) A total of 3.34 grams of marijuana in two plastic bags, a cellular telephone and between $1,200 and $1,300 cash were seized from
Mr. Chiasson’s person; 2) Nothing was seized from Mr. Lecompte’s person; 3) The following were found or seized from the vehicle: • From the glovebox: plastic shoe store bag containing bundles of money either wrapped in plastic or in sandwich bags and each individually bound with duct tape, consisting of 14 packets each containing $1,000 and one packet containing $3,980 for a total of $17,980; • From the centre console: a cellular telephone; • From an empty duffle bag located behind the driver’s seat from which came a strong odour: marijuana residue; • A vehicle rental agreement in Mr.
Lecompte’s name showing the vehicle had been rented in Chambly, Québec with an expected return date of that very day; • Discarded fast-food wrappers; and • From a briefcase belonging to Mr. Lecompte: marijuana culture magazines and articles on the legalization of cannabis. [ 3 ] During the period the vehicle was stopped and post arrest, Mr. Chiasson was described as behaving very nervously. The arresting officer offered to call an ambulance to verify Mr. Chiasson’s state of health, but the offer was declined and the investigation continued. [ 4 ] Mr. Lecompte and Mr.
Chiasson were jointly charged for trafficking in cannabis (marijuana) and possession of the proceeds of crime. A lengthy trial ensued, including a voir dire to determine the validity of the arrests and the admissibility of the items seized in the ensuing search.
At one point, they also applied for relief under s. 24(1) of the Charter , alleging their right to be tried within a reasonable time had been violated. [ 5 ] During trial, an RCMP officer was qualified as an expert witness and was allowed to give his opinion on the production, packaging, jargon, methodology, transport, terminology, distribution and cost, including price and value, of marijuana. He opined the actions of Messrs.
Lecompte and Chiasson, as well as the items seized following their arrest, were consistent with the behaviour of people involved in the trafficking of marijuana and who possessed proceeds of crime. The judge admitted this opinion evidence but emphasized the ultimate decision to convict remained with the court, based on the totality of the evidence. [ 6 ] The evidence led at trial suggested both cellular phones belonged to Mr. Chiasson. Mr. Lecompte testified and denied ownership of either phone. Recall one was seized from Mr. Chiasson’s person and the other from the centre console of the vehicle.
Both phones were returned to Mr. Chiasson, but there was no evidence led to prove both actually belonged to him. [ 7 ] Mr. Chiasson did not testify at trial, but Mr. Lecompte testified in his own defence. He attempted to provide an alternate explanation for his travels from Montréal to New Brunswick as well as the large amount of money found within the vehicle he admitted to renting. He had initially stated the money belonged to Mr. Chiasson, but later admitted the money was his. Mr. Lecompte testified the purpose of his trip was to purchase a motorhome and/or a small sports car with his life savings.
He further testified Mr. Chiasson owned the briefcase containing marijuana-related documents and magazines as well as the black duffel bag that contained the marijuana residue. [ 8 ] The trial judge did not believe Mr. Lecompte’s testimony except in one respect: the judge accepted the black duffel bag belonged to Mr. Chiasson. [ 9 ] The trial judge stated all of the evidence presented at trial was consistent with the sale of marijuana by runners and the two accused were ultimately convicted of both counts set out in the Information.
They were eventually sentenced to imprisonment for one year on each count to be served concurrently and subjected to certain ancillary orders. III. Grounds of Appeal
[ 10 ] Mr. Lecompte raises three grounds of appeal in his written submission. He argues the judge: 1. Erred in law by misapplying the principles established in R. v. Jordan , 2016 SCC 27 , [2016] 1 S.C.R. 631, when determining whether Mr. Lecompte’s s. 11(
b) Charter right was violated; 2. Made palpable and overriding errors in his analysis of the evidence which resulted in an unreasonable verdict; 3. Erred in law and mixed fact and law: 1) by qualifying Cpl. Jean-François Martel as an expert regarding drug trafficking when Cpl. Martel did not possess the necessary experience; 2) in the weight he attributed to Cpl. Martel’s testimony ; and 3) by allowing Cpl. Martel’s opinions to usurp his function as a trial judge. IV. Analysis A. Standard of review [ 11 ] The parties are in agreement respecting the standard of review for each of the separate grounds: 1.
The standard of review to be applied in determining whether the judge applied the proper principles when determining the Jordan motion is correctness; 2. The standard of review to be applied in determining whether the verdict is unreasonable is whether it was reasonably open to the trial judge to find the appellant guilty of trafficking and being in possession of the proceeds of crime in excess of $5,000; 3. The standard of review respecting the ground of appeal concerning Cpl. Martel is correctness. B. Alleged violation of s. 11(
b) Charter right [ 12 ] Mr. Lecompte submits he was not tried within a reasonable time as required by s. 11(
b) of the Charter . He contends the judge erred in failing to find an infringement of his Charter right and in not staying the proceeding. [ 13 ] On July 8, 2016, the Supreme Court released its decision in both the Jordan case and in R. v Williamson , 2016 SCC 28 , [2016] 1 S.C.R. 741. These cases establish a presumptive ceiling for trial delays beyond which a s. 11(
b) Charter violation will be presumed. However, because the charges and some of the proceedings in the present case occurred before the Jordan decision, this case is considered to fall into the “transitional” category. In Jordan , the Supreme Court held “[t]he new framework, including the presumptive ceiling, applies to cases currently in the system, subject to two qualifications” (para. 95).
In cases where the delay exceeds the new ceiling, the first transitional exception applies when “the Crown satisfies the court that the time the case has taken is justified based on the parties’ reasonable reliance on the law as it previously existed” (para. 96). The second qualification relates to cases in which the total delay falls below the ceiling. [ 14 ] In Williamson , the Court further discussed the transitional exceptional circumstance: However, since Mr. Williamson was charged before the release of Jordan , we must consider whether the transitional exceptional circumstance applies.
As we said in Jordan , the transitional exceptional circumstance will apply when the Crown satisfies the court that the time the case has taken is justified based on the previous legal framework, upon which the parties reasonably relied. The assessment is necessarily contextual, and should account for the manner in which that framework was applied.
In our view, although this is a close case, the transitional exceptional circumstance does not apply and, therefore, the delay isunreasonable. A variety of factors support this conclusion. [paras. 24-25] [15] In D.M.S. v. R., 2016 NBCA 71, [2016] N.B.J. No. 320 (QL), this Court reviewed the legal frameworkto be applied in s. 11(
b) cases: A synopsis of cases heard in Canada since Jordan by Stephen Coughlan in Criminal law e-Letters, December 9, 2016, provides acommentary respecting early patterns in the application of the new s. 11(
b) framework: […] Broadly, the approach set out in Jordan involves three steps. First, calculate the total time taken. Second, deduct from that any delaycaused solely by the defence. Third, see whether the time that remains was above or below the presumptive ceiling (eighteen months forProvincial Court and thirty months for Superior Court) and assign the burden accordingly.
If it was above, the onus is on the Crown toshow exceptional circumstances in order to avoid a finding of a violation; if it was below, the onus is on the defence to show sustainedefforts and that the case has taken markedly longer than it should have in order to demonstrate a violation. The factors of seriousness ofthe offence or a lack of prejudice to the accused are not to be considered. There is also in the short term a transitional exception, dealingwith cases already in the system. The steps in the analysis can be broken down more specifically (see, for example, R. v.
Coulter, 2016ONCA 704 (Quicklaw or Canlii), for a very clear structure and description of each of the steps) but this broadly captures the approach. […] In the second step, calculating the time to be deducted from the total time, both delay waived by the defence and delay caused by thedefence are taken into account: waiver is a well-established concept, but deciding what counts as delay “caused solely by the conduct ofthe defence” (Jordan, para. 63) will be important.
The examples offered in Jordan suggest that this category was meant to be quitelimited: “deliberate and calculated defence tactics aimed at causing delay”, for example (Jordan, para. 63). Many courts seem to havetaken this approach to heart. For example, in R. v. Park [2016 SKPC 137, [2016] S.J. No. 567 (QL)] […] the Crown argued that theaccused had caused delay essentially because he had not tried hard enough to obtain counsel before his first appearance in court, but thetrial judge refused to accept this argument.
He acknowledged that an accused might try to delay proceedings by claiming to have tried tohire a lawyer while not actually having taken any steps to do so but, short of that, “legitimate, albeit unsuccessful attempts, to hire alawyer do not qualify as defence delay” (Park, para. 37). Other cases suggest a desire to hold on to pre-Jordan approaches to attributingdelay to the accused (see, for example, R. v. Gandhi, 2016 ONSC 5612 (Quicklaw or Canlii), paras. 17-24, but see also Ashraf, [2016ONCJ 584, [2016] O.J.
No. 5079 (QL)] […], disagreeing with the approach there). [pp. 7-8] [para. 19] [Emphasis added.] [16] Mr. Lecompte contends the trial judge erred in his assessment because he applied the transitionalexceptional circumstance to justify the delay. In reply, Crown counsel submits the period between the date of the filing of theInformation and the end of the hearing amounted to 22½ months; however, when attributing the responsibility for the delays, the delayattributed to the system only amounts to 16 months.
In the alternative, the Crown asserts the judge did not err, as the transitionalexceptional circumstance was triggered and any infringement of the s. 11(
b) right should be determined using the analysis elaborated inR. v. Morin, (SCC), [1992] 1 S.C.R. 771, [1992] S.C.J. No. 25 (QL). [17] The framework the Supreme Court established in Jordan to determine what constitutes unreasonabledelay is as follows: The new framework for s. 11(
b) can be summarized as follows: * There is a ceiling beyond which delay becomes presumptively unreasonable. The presumptive ceiling is 18 months for cases tried inthe provincial court, and 30 months for cases in the superior court (or cases tried in the provincial court after a preliminary inquiry).Defence delay does not count towards the presumptive ceiling.
* Once the presumptive ceiling is exceeded , the burden shifts to the Crown to rebut the presumption of unreasonableness on the basis of exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances lie outside the Crown's control in that (1) they are reasonably unforeseen or reasonably unavoidable, and (2) they cannot reasonably be remedied. If the exceptional circumstance relates to a discrete event, the delay reasonably attributable to that event is subtracted.
If the exceptional circumstance arises from the case's complexity, the delay is reasonable. * Below the presumptive ceiling , in clear cases, the defence may show that the delay is unreasonable.
To do so, the defence must establish two things: (1) it took meaningful steps that demonstrate a sustained effort to expedite the proceedings; and (2) the case took markedly longer than it reasonably should have. * For cases currently in the system , the framework must be applied flexibly and contextually, with due sensitivity to the parties’ reliance on the previous state of the law. [para. 105] [Emphasis in original.] [ 18 ] When deciding whether s. 11(
b) of the Charter has been infringed, the court must first calculate the total delay – the period between the filing of the Information and the end (or anticipated conclusion) of the trial. As stated, if the delay exceeds the ceiling, here 18 months, the court must then deduct delay caused by the defence. [ 19 ] The chronology of the proceedings in the Provincial Court that led to those convictions is as follows: December 8, 2014 An Information was sworn charging Messrs. Lecompte and Chiasson. January 12, 2015 Both co-accused appeared without lawyers. They received disclosure. Mr.
Chiasson requested an adjournment. February 9, 2015 Both accused appeared unrepresented by counsel. Mr. Chiasson opted to proceed in the English language and requested a further adjournment to apply for Legal Aid. Mr. Lecompte chose to proceed in French. Mr. Lecompte was not represented but chose to be tried in the Provincial Court and pleaded not guilty. Mr. Chiasson did not choose his method of trial. The judge warned Mr. Chiasson not to delay in applying for Legal Aid. March 16, 2015 Mr. Chiasson was represented by counsel, who requested an adjournment for a month in order to review the matter.
April 20, 2015 Counsel for Mr. Chiasson requested more time to review the disclosure and Mr. Lecompte informed the judge he had just applied to Legal Aid that same morning. May 25, 2015 Mr. Lecompte, having retained counsel, asked for an adjournment in order to review the matter. Mr. Chiasson’s lawyer informed the judge his client would elect the mode of trial at the next appearance. June 8, 2015 Mr. Chiasson elected to be tried in the Provincial Court. Counsel suggested four days be set aside for trial.
The court had 3.5 days available in November, but the prosecution could not be available until January, but the judge was not available on the proposed dates. Trial was scheduled for February 16 to 19, 2016. November 27, 2015 The judge took the initiative to hold a pre-trial conference, at which the lawyer informed the judge the accused would be applying for relief for alleged violations of rights guaranteed by the Charter . January 31, 2016 Mr. Lecompte filed his application for Charter relief. February 2, 2016 Mr. Chiasson filed his application for Charter relief.
February 16 and 17, 2016 A voir dire was held to determine if any of the rights guaranteed by the Charter had been violated. February 19, 2016 The judge ruled. He found no violation. The lawyers suggested three days for the trial, and it was rescheduled for June 22-24, 2016.
June 22, 2016 The evidence adduced for the voir dire was, by consent, adopted attrial. At the end of the first day of the trial, it was learned theprosecutor had not served one of the lawyers with a notice ofintention to call an expert witness.June 23, 2016 Trial was adjourned to allow for the notice to be given. The courtsuggested dates in early August but they were not convenient for theprosecution. Dates in mid-August were not convenient for one of thedefence lawyers as were dates in September and in the very earlydays of October.
Eventually, trial was scheduled to continue onOctober 6 and 7, 2016.October 6-7, 2016 The trial resumed but only after one of the accused arrived late. Atthis point, the lawyers alleged s. 11(
b) Charter violations. Theevidentiary portion of the trial continued.October 18, 2016 The motions for relief because of s. 11(
b) Charter violations wereargued. The judge rendered his decision that same day anddismissed the motions. He also rendered his verdict and found bothaccused guilty. Presentence reports were ordered and sentencing wasadjourned to December 13, 2016.December 13, 2016 The presentence report for Mr. Chiasson had not been prepared so heasked that sentencing be adjourned. Mr. Lecompte also asked for itto be adjourned to provide him time to review the cases the Crownwould be relying on in support of its position on appropriatesentences.
The matter was adjourned to March 2, 2017.March 2, 2017 Both accused were sentenced to concurrent terms of imprisonmentfor 12 months and were subjected to certain ancillary orders. [20] The time between the Information being filed and the end of the trial is agreed to be 22.5 months. As did theSupreme Court in Williamson, at para. 19, and in R. v. Cody, 2017 SCC 31, [2017] 1 S.C.R. 659, at para. 21, I do not include any delaysrelating to post-verdict proceedings. [21] The next step in the analysis is to determine any delay attributed to the accused.
The trial judge only attributeda delay of one month and three weeks to the defence for the period between August 16, 2016, and October 6, 2016, when the trial couldhave been scheduled but for the unavailability of defence counsel. For some reason, the judge did not pronounce on some of the otherdelays. In my view, there was additional delay attributable to the defence. The initial appearances were marked by glaring failure topursue the retention of counsel and, when each accused had retained counsel, more delays to review the disclosure. This was not acomplicated matter and these delays are unacceptable.
As one judge of the Provincial Court stated on May 25, 2015, it was “absolutelyridiculous” that nothing at all had been done to move the proceedings along since the accused’s first appearance on January 12, 2015,that being a total of four months and 13 days. In my view, the delay between the first appearance and February 9, 2015, cannot beattributed to the accused, but the delay between that appearance and June 8 when counsel are finally ready to
schedule a trial date mustbe attributed to them. I make no distinction between the two accused in this particular case, since neither was ready to proceed toschedule trial dates during this period of time. [22] Once the delay of one month and three weeks as found by the trial judge and the delay I find he should alsohave attributed to the accused (four months) are properly subtracted from the 22.5 months total, it is obvious the total delay falls belowthe presumptive ceiling established in Jordan. As a result, I would dismiss this ground of appeal. C. Unreasonable verdict [23] Mr.
Lecompte submits the totality of the evidence before the judge falls short of what is required for proofbeyond a reasonable doubt in order to convict him. [24] The unreasonable verdict test is whether the verdict is one which, looking at the whole of the evidence throughthe lens of judicial experience, the trial judge could reasonably have rendered (see R. v. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 S.C.R.168, [1987] S.C.J. No. 51 (QL); and R. v. Biniaris, 2000 SCC 15, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 381). [25] In R. v. Oland, 2016 NBCA 58, [2016] N.B.J. No. 288 (QL), Drapeau, C.J.N.B., for the Court, explains asfollows:
In R. v. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 S.C.R. 168, [1987] S.C.J. No. 51 (QL), the Court held an appeal could be allowed andan acquittal entered pursuant to s. 686(1)(a)(
i) if, and only if twelve properly instructed jurors, acting judicially, could not reasonablyhave come to the verdict at issue. In a subsequent decision, R. v. Biniaris, the Supreme Court clarified that standard by declaring itrequired appellate courts: (1) “to review, analyze and, within the limits of appellate disadvantage, weigh the evidence” (para. 36); and(2) to carry out this process “through the lens of judicial experience which serves as an additional protection against an unwarrantedconviction” (para. 40). While the latter requirement confirms the test for appellate intervention under s. 686(1)(a)(
i) is “different than theone a trial judge must apply on a directed verdict application” (see R. v. R. (J.S.), 2012 ONCA 568, [2012] O.J. No. 4063 (QL), at para.69), it does not follow that the defence’s considered decision to abstain from requesting a directed verdict of acquittal is meaningless. Iwill return to this topic in short order. More recently, in R. v. W.H., the Supreme Court provides further helpful insights into the review process envisaged by s. 686(1)(a)(i): On the other hand, however, the review cannot be limited to assessing the sufficiency of the evidence.
A positive answer to the questionof whether there is some evidence which, if believed, supports the conviction does not exhaust the role of the reviewing court.
Rather,the court is required "to review, analyze and, within the limits of appellate disadvantage, weigh the evidence" (Biniaris, at para. 36) andconsider through the lens of judicial experience, whether “judicial fact-finding precludes the conclusion reached by the jury”: para. 39.Thus, in deciding whether the verdict is one which a properly instructed jury acting judicially could reasonably have rendered, thereviewing court must ask not only whether there is evidence in the record to support the verdict, but also whether the jury's conclusionconflicts with the bulk of judicial experience: Biniaris, at para. 40. [para. 28] My understanding of the governing standard is summarized in Penney, Rondinelli and Stribopoulos, Criminal Procedure in Canada(Markham, Ont.: LexisNexis Canada Inc., 2011) at pp. 744-745.
The test to be applied by the appellate court under section 686(1)(a)(
i) of the Code has been established by the Supreme Court of Canadaas whether “the verdict is one that a properly instructed jury, acting judicially, could reasonably have rendered.” The test is equallyapplicable to a judge sitting at trial without a jury. Where the verdict rests primarily on circumstantial evidence, Justice Doherty noted inR. v. Mars (ON CA), [2006] O.J.
No. 472 that “the question becomes: could a trier-of-fact acting judicially besatisfied that the accused's guilt was the only reasonable conclusion available on the totality of the evidence?” In considering whether averdict is unreasonable, an appellate court is required to analyze and to some extent, reweigh the evidence adduced at trial. The courtwill do so through the “lens of judicial experience,” which serves as an additional safeguard against unsafe convictions. The burden onthe appellant in establishing an unreasonable verdict has been described as “high” and “difficult”.
Practically speaking, “at the end of theday this is a judgment call [by the court] and not a precise science. A subjective element is invariably involved in the global assessmentof the case.” [para. 18.6] [paras. 25-27] [26] Therefore, the question in the case before us becomes whether a trier of fact, acting judicially, could besatisfied Mr. Lecompte’s guilt was the only reasonable conclusion available on the totality of the evidence. In my opinion, on the facts ofthis case, the response is yes. [27] The evidentiary burden was met by presenting both physical and circumstantial evidence. In R. v.
Villaroman,2016 SCC 33, [2016] 1 S.C.R. 1000, the Supreme Court says: At one time, it was said that in circumstantial cases, “conclusions alternative to the guilt of the accused must be rational conclusionsbased on inferences drawn from proven facts”: see R. v. McIver, (ON CA), [1965] 2 O.R. 475 (C.A.), at p. 479, aff'dwithout discussion of this point (SCC), [1966] S.C.R. 254. However, that view is no longer accepted. In assessingcircumstantial evidence, inferences consistent with innocence do not have to arise from proven facts: R. v. Khela, 2009 SCC 4, [2009] 1S.C.R. 104, at para. 58; see also R. v.
Defaveri, 2014 BCCA 370, 361 B.C.A.C. 301, at para. 10; R. v. Bui, 2014 ONCA 614, 14 C.R.(7th) 149, at para. 28. Requiring proven facts to support explanations other than guilt wrongly puts an obligation on an accused to provefacts and is contrary to the rule that whether there is a reasonable doubt is assessed by considering all of the evidence. The issue withrespect to circumstantial evidence is the range of reasonable inferences that can be drawn from it. If there are reasonable inferences otherthan guilt, the Crown's evidence does not meet the standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
I agree with the respondent's position that a reasonable doubt, or theory alternative to guilt, is not rendered “speculative” by the mere factthat it arises from a lack of evidence. As stated by this Court in Lifchus, a reasonable doubt “is a doubt based on reason and commonsense which must be logically based upon the evidence or lack of evidence”: para. 30 (emphasis added). A certain gap in the evidencemay result in inferences other than guilt. But those inferences must be reasonable given the evidence and the absence of evidence,assessed logically, and in light of human experience and common sense.
When assessing circumstantial evidence, the trier of fact should consider “other plausible theor[ies]” and “other reasonable possibilities”which are inconsistent with guilt: R. v. Comba, (ON CA), [1938] O.R. 200 (C.A.), at pp. 205 and 211, per MiddletonJ.A., aff’d (SCC), [1938] S.C.R. 396; R. v. Baigent, 2013 BCCA 28, 335 B.C.A.C. 11, at para. 20; R. v. Mitchell, [2008]QCA 394 (AustLII), at para. 35.
I agree with the appellant that the Crown thus may need to negative these reasonable possibilities, butcertainly does not need to “negative every possible conjecture, no matter how irrational or fanciful, which might be consistent with theinnocence of the accused”: R. v. Bagshaw, (SCC), [1972] S.C.R. 2, at p. 8. “Other plausible theories” or “otherreasonable possibilities” must be based on logic and experience applied to the evidence or the absence of evidence, not on speculation. Of course, the line between a “plausible theory” and “speculation” is not always easy to draw.
But the basic question is whether thecircumstantial evidence, viewed logically and in light of human experience, is reasonably capable of supporting an inference other thanthat the accused is guilty. […] When dealing with the defence position, the judge correctly stated the law, in my opinion. The judge properly noted that “the accusedcannot ask this Court to rely on supposition or conjecture, that flows from a purely hypothetical narrative to conclude that the Crown hasnot proven he is guilty of the offences with which the Crown has charged him”: para. 47.
The judge’s citation of McIver was intended tomake the same point, i.e. that a reasonable doubt cannot arise from speculation or conjecture. This is perfectly correct. As the Court saidin Lifchus, “a reasonable doubt must not be imaginary or frivolous”; need not be proof to an absolute certainty; and must be based on“reason and common sense”: paras. 31 and 36. The burden on the Crown does not extend to “negativing every conjecture”: R. v.
Paul, (SCC), [1977] 1 S.C.R. 181, at p. 191. [paras. 35-38 and 50] [Emphasis in original.] [28] In this case, the salient circumstantial evidence included: a vehicle rented for only two days, a very quick tripto New Brunswick, fast food consumption in the vehicle to avoid delays, a duffle bag with marijuana residue and a strong smell ofmarijuana emanating from it, and a large sum of money – $17,980 – subdivided and packaged in smaller amounts.
The evidence alsoincluded expert testimony regarding the usual practice of drug runners coming from Québec to New Brunswick, the price of marijuana inboth those provinces, and on how the total amount of money found was consistent with the sale of 10 pounds of marijuana at $1,800 perpound. In my view, once the trial judge rejected as he did the testimony of Mr. Lecompte and determined this testimony did not raise areasonable doubt, the assessment of the circumstantial evidence coupled together with the
interpretation of some of the evidence by thetestimony of the expert witness made a guilty verdict one that was clearly reasonable. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. D. Expert witness [29] In R. v. Mohan, (SCC), [1994] 2 S.C.R. 9, [1994] S.C.J. No. 36 (QL), the Supreme Courtestablished admissibility principles for opinion evidence. The Court stated the admission of expert evidence constitutes an exception tothe general rule that opinions have no relevance.
The criteria necessary to accept expert evidence is: (1) relevance; (2) necessity inassisting the trier of fact; (3) the absence of any exclusionary rule; and (4) a properly qualified expert. Relevance is a thresholdrequirement to be decided by the judge as a question of law. [30] The ground of appeal raised by Mr. Lecompte relates to the first two criteria.
In Mohan, the court instructs thatlogically relevant evidence may be excluded if its probative value is overborne by its prejudicial effect, if the time required is notcommensurate with its value or if it can influence the trier of fact out of proportion to its reliability. The reliability versus effect factor hasspecial significance in assessing the admissibility of expert evidence. [31] A court is required to consider whether the evidence is likely to facilitate the fact-finding task or whether it ismore likely to confuse the trier of fact. This is discussed in Mohan: In R. v.
Abbey, [ (SCC), [1982] 2 S.C.R. 24], Dickson J., as he then was, stated, at p. 42: With respect to matters calling for special knowledge, an expert in the field may draw inferences and state his opinion. An expert’sfunction is precisely this: to provide the judge and jury with a ready-made inference which the judge and jury, due to the technical nature
of the facts, are unable to formulate. “An expert’s opinion is admissible to furnish the Court with scientific information which is likely tobe outside the experience and knowledge of a judge or jury. If on the proven facts a judge or jury can form their own conclusions withouthelp, then the opinion of the expert is unnecessary” (Turner (1974), 60 Crim. App. R. 80, at p. 83, per Lawton L.J.) This pre-condition is often expressed in terms as to whether the evidence would be helpful to the trier of fact. The word “helpful” is notquite appropriate and sets too low a standard.
However, I would not judge necessity by too strict a standard. What is required is that theopinion be necessary in the sense that it provide information “which is likely to be outside the experience and knowledge of a judge orjury”: as quoted by Dickson J. in R. v. Abbey, supra. As stated by Dickson J., the evidence must be necessary to enable the trier of fact toappreciate the matters in issue due to their technical nature. In Kelliher (Village of) v.
Smith, (SCC), [1931] S.C.R. 672, atp. 684, this Court, quoting from Beven on Negligence (4th ed. 1928), at p. 141, stated that in order for expert evidence to be admissible,“[t]he subject-matter of the inquiry must be such that ordinary people are unlikely to form a correct judgment about it, if unassisted bypersons with special knowledge”. More recently, in R. v. Lavallee, supra, the above passages from Kelliher and Abbey were applied toadmit expert evidence as to the state of mind of a “battered” woman. The judgment stressed that this was an area that is not understoodby the average person.
As in the case of relevance, discussed above, the need for the evidence is assessed in light of its potential to distort the fact-findingprocess. As stated by Lawton L.J. in R. v. Turner, [1975] Q.B. 834, at p. 841, and approved by Lord Wilberforce in Director of PublicProsecutions v. Jordan, [1977] A.C. 699, at p. 718: “An expert’s opinion is admissible to furnish the court with scientific information which is likely to be outside the experience andknowledge of a judge or jury. If on the proven facts a judge or jury can form their own conclusions without help, then the opinion of anexpert is unnecessary.
In such a case if it is given dressed up in scientific jargon it may make judgment more difficult. The fact that anexpert witness has impressive scientific qualifications does not by that fact alone make his opinion on matters of human nature andbehaviour within the limits of normality any more helpful than that of the jurors themselves; but there is a danger that they may think itdoes.” The possibility that evidence will overwhelm the jury and distract them from their task can often be offset by proper instructions.
There is also a concern inherent in the application of this criterion that experts not be permitted to usurp the functions of the trier of fact.Too liberal an approach could result in a trial's becoming nothing more than a contest of experts with the trier of fact acting as referee indeciding which expert to accept. [pp. 23-24] [32] In R. v. Bryan, (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No. 1960 (C.A.) (QL), the Ontario Court of Appealrejected the argument that expert evidence regarding drug trafficking be excluded because the evidence went to the ultimate issue of thetrial.
The Court found the expert was properly qualified and his testimony was both necessary and of assistance to the trier of fact. Anexpert similarly testified in R. v. Sekhon, 2014 SCC 15, [2014] 1 S.C.R. 272. [33] In the present case, Cpl. Martel’s testimony was based on the special knowledge he acquired through years ofwork experience investigating drug trafficking operations. The evidence was not presented in scientific terms. He did not provide anopinion as to Mr. Lecompte’s credibility. He merely testified Mr. Lecompte’s explanation of events did not match the factual situationbased on Cpl.
Martel’s work experience. The court accepted that the majority of the evidence offered by Cpl. Martel satisfied therequirements set out in the Mohan framework. Cpl. Martel was found to have expert knowledge on the production, packaging, jargon,methodology, transport, terminology, distribution and cost, including price and value, of marijuana. In his testimony, he said Mr.Lecompte was in possession of proceeds of crime and was involved in the trafficking of marijuana. Defence counsel quite rightlyobjected. The trial judge upheld the objection and said he would not consider that part of the expert’s testimony.
No other objectionswere raised during the direct examination of Cpl. Martel. Other than on the point identified above, Cpl. Martel’s testimony was notinconsistent with that which was found to be acceptable in R. v. Fougère (1988), (NB CA), 86 N.B.R. (2d) 93, [1988]N.B.J. No. 17 (C.A.) (QL). [34] It was up to the judge to decide whether to rely on the expert’s testimony and to draw his own conclusions asto whether the evidence he accepted convinced him beyond a reasonable doubt of Mr. Lecompte’s guilt. In my view, there is noindication the testimony of the expert witness usurped the functions of the judge.
As a result, I conclude this ground of appeal is withoutmerit. V. Disposition
[ 35 ] For the above reasons, I would dismiss the appeal. ___________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. WE CONCUR: __________________________ J.C MARC RICHARD, J.A. __________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Jean-Pierre Lecompte et Michel Chiasson ont été déclarés coupables de trafic de cannabis (marihuana) ( al. 5(3)
a) de la Loi réglementant certaines drogues et autres substances , L.C. 1996, ch. 19) et de possession de biens criminellement obtenus d’une valeur supérieure à 5 000 $ ( al. 354(1)
a) du Code criminel ). Ils ont déposé des appels distincts à l’encontre de leur déclaration de culpabilité. Dans son appel, M. Lecompte soutient que le juge de la Cour provinciale a rendu un verdict qui était déraisonnable et qui n’était pas appuyé par la preuve. Il dit aussi que le juge a commis une erreur en refusant de suspendre l’instance pour motif de violation présumée de son droit d’être jugé dans un délai raisonnable, protégé par l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés , et qu’il a commis une erreur en reconnaissant comme témoin expert un certain caporal de la GRC, puis en admettant son témoignage sur une question fondamentale du procès. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je rejetterais l’appel de M. Lecompte. II. Contexte [2] Le 23 avril 2014, après avoir reçu de l’information d’une source confidentielle, des agents de la GRC ont surveillé, et finalement intercepté, un véhicule occupé par le conducteur, M. Lecompte, et un passager, M. Chiasson.
Lorsqu’il a été intercepté, le véhicule roulait sur la route 180, souvent empruntée pour aller du nord-est de la province à Montréal. M. Lecompte et M. Chiasson ont été immédiatement informés du motif de l’interception et ont été appréhendés. Le véhicule et les deux hommes ont été fouillés accessoirement aux arrestations. Ces fouilles ont donné les résultats suivants :
i. Un total de 3,34 grammes de marihuana dans deux sacs de plastique, un téléphone cellulaire et de 1 200 $ à 1 300 $ en espèces ont été saisis sur la personne de M. Chiasson. ii. Rien n’a été saisi sur la personne de M. Lecompte. iii.
Les objets suivants ont été trouvés dans le véhicule ou en ont été saisis : • Du compartiment à gants : un sac de plastique de magasin de chaussures contenant des liasses d’argent enveloppées dans du plastique ou dans des sacs à sandwichs et attachées individuellement avec du ruban à conduits, soit 14 liasses de 1 000 $ chacune et une liasse de 3 980 $, pour un total de 17 980 $. • De la console centrale : un téléphone cellulaire. • D’un sac de voyage vide trouvé derrière le siège du conducteur qui dégageait une forte odeur : des résidus de marihuana. • Un contrat de location de véhicule au nom de M.
Lecompte, indiquant que le véhicule avait été loué à Chambly, au Québec, et que la date prévue de retour du véhicule était ce jour-là. • Des emballages vides de repas-minute. • D’une serviette appartenant à M. Lecompte : des revues sur la culture de la marihuana et des articles sur la légalisation du cannabis. [3] Pendant que le véhicule était arrêté et après l’arrestation, M. Chiasson a été décrit comme agissant très nerveusement. L’agent qui a effectué l’arrestation a offert d’appeler une ambulance pour vérifier l’état de santé de M. Chiasson, mais l’offre a été refusée, et l’enquête s’est poursuivie. [4] M.
Lecompte et M. Chiasson ont été conjointement inculpés de trafic de cannabis (marihuana) et de possession de produits de la criminalité. Un long procès s’est ensuivi, y compris un voir-dire visant à déterminer la validité des arrestations et l’admissibilité des articles saisis pendant la fouille subséquente.
À un certain moment, ils ont aussi demandé une mesure réparatoire en vertu du par. 24(1) de la Charte , soutenant qu’il y avait eu violation de leur droit d’être jugés dans un délai raisonnable. [5] Pendant le procès, un agent de la GRC a été reconnu comme témoin expert et a été autorisé à donner son opinion sur la production, l’emballage, le jargon, la méthodologie, le transport, la terminologie, la distribution et le coût de la marihuana, y compris son prix et sa valeur. Il a exprimé l’opinion que les actes de MM.
Lecompte et Chiasson, ainsi que les articles saisis après leur arrestation, concordaient avec le comportement de personnes impliquées dans le trafic de la marihuana et en possession de produits de la criminalité. Le juge a admis cette preuve sous forme d’opinion, mais il a insisté sur le fait que la décision finale de déclarer quelqu’un coupable appartenait à la Cour en fonction de la totalité de la preuve. [6] La preuve présentée au procès semblait indiquer que les deux téléphones cellulaires appartenaient à M. Chiasson. M. Lecompte a témoigné, et il a nié être le propriétaire de l’un ou l’autre téléphone.
Je rappelle que l’un a été saisi sur la personne de M. Chiasson et l’autre dans la console centrale du véhicule. Les deux téléphones ont été rendus à M. Chiasson, mais aucune preuve n’a été présentée pour prouver que les deux lui appartenaient vraiment. [7] M. Chiasson n’a pas témoigné au procès, mais M. Lecompte a témoigné pour sa défense. Il a tenté de donner une autre explication de ses voyages de Montréal au Nouveau-Brunswick ainsi que de la grande quantité d’argent trouvée dans le véhicule qu’il a reconnu avoir loué. Il avait commencé par affirmer que l’argent appartenait à M.
Chiasson, mais il a admis plus tard que l’argent était à lui. M. Lecompte a témoigné que l’objectif de son voyage était d’acheter une autocaravane, une petite voiture sport ou les deux avec ses économies. Il a également témoigné que M. Chiasson était le propriétaire de la serviette contenant les documents et les revues concernant la marihuana ainsi que le sac de voyage noir contenant les résidus de marihuana. [8] Le juge du procès n’a pas cru le témoignage de M. Lecompte, sauf sur un point : il a admis que le sac de voyage noir appartenait à M.
Chiasson. [9] Le juge du procès a déclaré que la totalité de la preuve présentée au procès concordait avec la
vente de marihuana par des « passeurs », et les deux accusés ont finalement été déclarés coupables des deux chefs énoncés dans la dénonciation. Par la suite, ils ont été condamnés à une peine d’emprisonnement d’un an pour chaque chef, à purger concurremment, et certaines ordonnances accessoires leur ont été imposées. III. Moyens d’appel [10] M. Lecompte soulève trois moyens d’appel dans son mémoire. Il soutient que le juge : 1. a commis une erreur de droit en appliquant de façon erronée les principes établis dans l’arrêt R. c. Jordan , 2016 CSC 27 , [2016] 1 R.C.S. 631, lorsqu’il a déterminé si le droit garanti à M. Lecompte par l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte avait été violé; 2. a commis des erreurs manifestes et dominantes dans son analyse de la preuve, qui ont entraîné un verdict déraisonnable; 3. a commis des erreurs de droit et des erreurs mixtes de fait et de droit : 1) en reconnaissant le caporal Jean-François Martel comme expert du trafic de drogue alors qu’il ne possédait pas l’expérience nécessaire; 2) dans le poids qu’il a accordé au témoignage du caporal Martel; 3) en laissant le caporal Martel usurper sa fonction de juge du procès par ses opinions. IV. Analyse A.
Norme de contrôle [11] Les parties s’entendent sur la norme de contrôle applicable à chacun des moyens d’appel distincts : 1. La norme de contrôle à appliquer pour déterminer si le juge a appliqué les bons principes en statuant sur la motion fondée sur l’arrêt Jordan est celle de la décision correcte. 2. La norme de contrôle à appliquer pour déterminer si le verdict est déraisonnable consiste à savoir s’il était raisonnablement loisible au juge du procès de conclure que l’appelant était coupable de trafic et de possession de produits de la criminalité d’une valeur supérieure à 5 000 $. 3.
La norme de contrôle relative au moyen d’appel concernant le caporal Martel est celle de la décision correcte. B. Violation présumée du droit garanti par l’ al. 11b) de la Charte [12] M. Lecompte soutient qu’il n’a pas été jugé dans un délai raisonnable comme l’exige l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte . Il soutient que le juge a commis une erreur en ne concluant pas à une violation de son droit garanti par la Charte et en ne suspendant pas l’instance. [13] Le 8 juillet 2016, la Cour suprême a publié ses décisions dans l’affaire Jordan et dans l’affaire R. c. Williamson , 2016 CSC 28 , [2016] 1 R.C.S. 741. Ces arrêts fixent un plafond présumé pour les délais judiciaires, au-delà duquel une violation de l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte sera présumée. Toutefois, puisque les accusations et une
partie de l’instruction de la présente affaire ont précédé l’arrêt Jordan , on doit classer la présente affaire dans la catégorie « transitoire ». Dans l’arrêt Jordan , la Cour suprême a déclaré que « [l]e nouveau cadre d’analyse, y compris le plafond présumé, s’applique aux affaires déjà en cours, sujet à deux réserves » (par. 95).
Dans les cas où le délai excède le nouveau plafond, la première exception transitoire s’applique lorsque « le ministère public convainc la cour que le temps qui s’est écoulé est justifié du fait que les parties se sont raisonnablement conformées au droit tel qu’il existait au préalable » (par. 96). La deuxième réserve s’applique aux affaires pour lesquelles le délai initial est inférieur au plafond.
[14] Dans l’arrêt Williamson , la Cour a traité plus à fond de la mesure exceptionnelle transitoire : Cela dit, puisque M. Williamson a été inculpé avant le prononcé de Jordan , nous devons nous demander s’il y a lieu d’appliquer la mesure exceptionnelle transitoire. Comme nous l’avons expliqué dans Jordan , une telle mesure s’applique lorsque le ministère public convainc le tribunal que le temps qu’il a fallu pour instruire l’affaire est justifié suivant le cadre d’analyse applicable auparavant sur lequel se sont raisonnablement fondées les parties.
L’analyse est nécessairement contextuelle, et elle doit tenir compte de la manière dont ce cadre d’analyse a été appliqué. À notre avis, même s’il s’agit d’un cas limite, le concept de mesure exceptionnelle transitoire ne s’applique pas en l’espèce et, par conséquent, le délai est déraisonnable. Toute une série de facteurs milite en faveur de cette conclusion. [par. 24 et 25] [15] Dans l’arrêt D.M.S. c. R. , 2016 NBCA 71 , [2016] A.N.-B. n o 320 (QL), notre Cour a examiné le cadre juridique à appliquer dans les affaires où l’al. 11
b) est invoqué : Dans la livraison du 9 décembre 2016 du Bulletin électronique de droit criminel , Stephen Coughlan présente, à la suite de
sommaires de causes entendues au Canada depuis Jordan , des commentaires sur les premières tendances observées dans l’application du nouveau cadre d’analyse associé à l’al. 11 b ) : […] De façon générale, l’approche énoncée dans l’arrêt Jordan comporte trois étapes. Premièrement, calculez le délai total écoulé. Deuxièmement, déduisez de ce délai le délai causé uniquement par la défense. Troisièmement, déterminez si le temps qu’il reste est supérieur ou inférieur au plafond présumé (18 mois pour la cour provinciale et 30 mois pour la cour supérieure) et attribuez le fardeau en conséquence.
Si le délai est supérieur, il incombe au ministère public de démontrer l’existence de circonstances exceptionnelles afin d’éviter une conclusion d’atteinte; s’il est inférieur, il incombe à la défense de démontrer qu’elle a fait des efforts soutenus et que l’affaire a été beaucoup plus longue qu’elle aurait dû l’être afin de démontrer l’atteinte. Les facteurs de la gravité de l’infraction ou de l’absence de préjudice pour l’accusé ne doivent pas être pris en considération. Il y a également à court terme une exception transitoire, portant sur les affaires déjà soumises aux tribunaux.
Les étapes de l’analyse peuvent être énoncées de façon plus détaillée (voir, par exemple, R. c.
Coulter , 2016 ONCA 704 (Quicklaw ou Canlii), pour une structure et une description très claires de chacune des étapes), mais cet exposé dresse un bon portrait général de l’approche à suivre. […] À la deuxième étape, soit le calcul du délai à déduire du délai total, le délai auquel a renoncé la défense et le délai causé par la défense sont pris en considération : la renonciation est une notion bien établie, mais déterminer ce qui compte comme délai « qui résulte uniquement de la conduite de cette dernière » ( Jordan , par. 63 ) aura de l’importance.
Les exemples donnés dans l’arrêt Jordan indiquent que cette catégorie se voulait fort limitée : « le recours délibéré à une tactique qui vise à retarder le procès », par exemple ( Jordan , par. 63 ). De nombreux tribunaux semblent avoir pris cette approche au sérieux. Par exemple, dans R. c. Park [2016 SKPC 137, [2016] S.J. No. 567 (QL) ], le ministère public a soutenu que l’accusé avait causé le délai essentiellement parce qu’il n’avait pas essayé suffisamment d’obtenir les services d’un avocat avant sa première comparution à la cour, mais le juge du procès a refusé d’accepter cet argument.
Il a reconnu qu’un accusé pourrait tenter de retarder les procédures en affirmant avoir tenté de mandater un avocat tout en omettant de prendre des mesures pour le faire, mais, hormis ce cas, [TRADUCTION] « les tentatives légitimes quoique vaines de mandater un avocat ne constituent pas un délai causé par la défense » ( Park , par. 37). D’autres arrêts indiquent le désir de s’en tenir aux approches précédant l’arrêt Jordan pour l’attribution du délai à l’accusé (voir, par exemple, R. c. Gandhi , 2016 ONSC 5612 (Quicklaw ou Canlii), par. 17 à 24 , mais voir aussi Ashraf [2016 ONCJ 584 , [2016] O.J.
No. 5079 (QL)], qui est en désaccord avec l’approche adoptée dans cette affaire). [p. 8 et 9] [par. 19] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [16] M. Lecompte soutient que le juge du procès a commis une erreur d’évaluation parce qu’il a appliqué la mesure exceptionnelle transitoire pour justifier le délai. En réponse, l’avocate du ministère public soutient que la période écoulée entre la date de dépôt de la dénonciation et la fin de l’audience a été de 22 mois et demi; toutefois, lorsqu’on attribue la
responsabilité des délais, le délai attribué au système ne s’élève qu’à 16 mois. Subsidiairement, le ministère public affirme que le jugen’a pas commis d’erreur, car la mesure exceptionnelle transitoire devait être appliquée, et toute violation du droit garanti à l’al. 11b) devrait être déterminée selon l’analyse formulée dans l’arrêt R. c.
Morin, (SCC), [1992] 1 R.C.S. 771, [1992] A.C.S. no 25 (QL). [17] Le cadre établi par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Jordan pour déterminer ce qui constitue undélai déraisonnable est le suivant : Le nouveau cadre d’analyse applicable aux demandes fondées sur l’al. 11b) peut être résumé comme suit : * Il existe un plafond au-delà duquel le délai est présumé déraisonnable.
Ce plafond présumé est de 18 mois pour les affairesinstruites devant une cour provinciale, et de 30 mois pour celles portées devant une cour supérieure (ou pour les affaires instruites devantune cour provinciale au terme d’une enquête préliminaire). Les délais imputables à la défense ne comptent pas dans le calcul visant àdéterminer si ce plafond est atteint. * Une fois le plafond présumé dépassé, le fardeau est inversé et le ministère public doit réfuter la présomption du caractèredéraisonnable du délai en invoquant des circonstances exceptionnelles.
Il doit s’agir de circonstances indépendantes de la volonté duministère public, c’est-à-dire de circonstances (1) raisonnablement imprévues ou raisonnablement inévitables, et (2) auxquelles il ne peutpas être raisonnablement remédié. Si la circonstance exceptionnelle concerne un événement distinct, le délai attribuable à cet événementdoit être soustrait du délai total. Si la circonstance exceptionnelle résulte de la complexité de l’affaire, le délai est raisonnable. * Lorsque le délai est inférieur au plafond présumé, la défense, dans des cas manifestes, peut faire la preuve que le délai estdéraisonnable.
Pour ce faire, elle doit démontrer deux choses : (1) qu’elle a pris des mesures utiles qui font la preuve d’un effort soutenupour accélérer l’instance, et (2) que le délai a été nettement plus long qu’il aurait dû raisonnablement l’être. * Pour les affaires en cours d’instance, le tribunal doit appliquer le cadre d’analyse selon le contexte et avec souplesse, tout enétant sensible au fait que les parties se sont fiées à l’état du droit qui prévalait auparavant. [par. 105] [Caractères gras dans l’original.] [18] Pour décider s’il y a eu violation du droit garanti par l’al. 11b) de la Charte, la Cour doitd’abord calculer le délai total, ou la période écoulée entre le dépôt de la dénonciation et la fin (réelle ou prévue) du procès.
Comme onl’a dit, si le délai dépasse le plafond, de 18 mois en l’espèce, la Cour doit ensuite déduire le délai causé par la défense. [19] La chronologie des procédures à la Cour provinciale qui ont abouti à ces déclarations deculpabilité est la suivante : Le 8 décembre 2014 Une dénonciation faite sous serment inculpe MM. Lecompte etChiasson.Le 12 janvier 2015 Les deux coaccusés comparaissent sans avocats. Ils reçoivent lacommunication de la preuve. M. Chiasson demande unajournement.Le 9 février 2015 Les deux accusés comparaissent sans être représentés par desavocats. M.
Chiasson opte pour que les procédures se déroulent enanglais et demande un autre ajournement pour faire une demanded’aide juridique. M. Lecompte opte pour que les procédures sedéroulent en français. M. Lecompte n’est pas représenté, mais ilchoisit de subir un procès à la Cour provinciale et plaide noncoupable. M. Chiasson ne choisit pas son mode de procès. Le jugeenjoint à M. Chiasson de ne pas tarder à faire une demande d’aidejuridique.Le 16 mars 2015 M. Chiasson est représenté par un avocat, qui demande unajournement d’un mois afin d’étudier l’affaire.Le 20 avril 2015 L’avocat de M.
Chiasson demande plus de temps pour étudier lapreuve communiquée, et M. Lecompte informe le juge qu’il vientde faire une demande d’aide juridique le matin même.
Le 25 mai 2015 M. Lecompte, après avoir retenu les services d’un avocat, demande un ajournement pour étudier l’affaire. L’avocat de M. Chiasson informe le juge que son client choisira le mode de procès à sa prochaine comparution. Le 8 juin 2015 M. Chiasson choisit de subir son procès à la Cour provinciale. Les avocats suggèrent qu’on réserve quatre jours pour le procès. La Cour aura 3,5 jours libres en novembre, mais le poursuivant ne pourra pas être disponible avant janvier, et le juge ne sera pas disponible aux dates proposées. Les dates fixées pour le procès sont du 16 au 19 février 2016.
Le 27 novembre 2015 Le juge prend l’initiative de tenir une conférence préparatoire au procès, pendant laquelle l’avocat informe le juge que l’accusé demandera une mesure réparatoire pour violations présumées des droits garantis par la Charte . Le 31 janvier 2016 M. Lecompte dépose sa demande de réparation fondée sur la Charte . Le 2 février 2016 M. Chiasson dépose sa demande de réparation fondée sur la Charte . Les 16 et 17 février 2016 Un voir-dire est tenu pour déterminer si des droits garantis par la Charte ont été violés. Le 19 février 2016 Le juge rend sa décision.
Il a conclu qu’il n’y avait pas eu violation. Les avocats suggèrent trois jours de procès, et les nouvelles dates fixées sont du 22 au 24 juin 2016. Le 22 juin 2016 La preuve présentée pour le voir-dire est adoptée sur consentement au procès. À la fin du premier jour de procès, on apprend que le poursuivant n’a pas signifié à l’un des avocats un avis d’intention d’appeler un expert à témoigner. Le 23 juin 2016 Le procès est ajourné pour permettre la signification de l’avis. La Cour suggère des dates au début d’août, mais elles ne conviennent pas au poursuivant.
Les dates à la mi-août ne conviennent pas à l’un des avocats de la défense, de même que les dates en septembre et au tout début d’octobre. Finalement, la suite du procès est fixée aux 6 et 7 octobre 2016. Les 6 et 7 octobre 2016 Le procès reprend, mais seulement après que l’un des accusés est arrivé en retard. Les avocats invoquent alors des violations de l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte . On continue la
partie du procès consacrée à la preuve. Le 18 octobre 2016 On débat les motions visant des mesures réparatoires pour violation de l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte . Le juge rend sa décision le jour même et rejette les motions. Il rend également son verdict et déclare les deux accusés coupables. Le juge ordonne la préparation de rapports présentenciels, et la détermination de la peine est reportée au 13 décembre 2016. Le 13 décembre 2016 Le rapport présentenciel de M. Chiasson n’a pas été préparé, et celui-ci demande donc que la détermination de la peine soit ajournée. M. Lecompte demande aussi qu’elle soit ajournée pour lui laisser le temps d’examiner les précédents que le ministère public invoquera à l’appui de sa position sur les peines appropriées.
L’affaire est reportée au 2 mars 2017. Le 2 mars 2017 Les deux accusés sont condamnés à des peines d’emprisonnement concurrentes de 12 mois, et certaines ordonnances accessoires leur sont imposées. [20] Il est convenu que le délai écoulé entre le dépôt de la dénonciation et la fin du procès a été de 22,5 mois. Comme l’a fait la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Williamson , au par. 19 , et dans l’arrêt R. c.
Cody , 2017 CSC 31 , [2017] 1 R.C.S. 659, au par. 21 , je n’inclus aucun délai relatif aux procédures postérieures au verdict. [21] L’étape suivante de l’analyse consiste à déterminer les délais à attribuer à l’accusé. Le juge du procès a seulement attribué à la défense un délai d’un mois et trois semaines pour la période allant du 16 août 2016 au 6 octobre 2016, pendant laquelle la date du procès aurait pu être fixée n’eût été l’indisponibilité de l’avocat de la défense. Pour quelque raison, le juge ne s’est pas prononcé sur certains des autres délais.
À mon avis, des délais additionnels étaient imputables à la défense. Les premières comparutions ont été marquées par un défaut flagrant de chercher à retenir les services d’un avocat, et, après que chaque accusé s’est trouvé un avocat, il y a eu des délais additionnels pour l’examen de la preuve communiquée. Ce n’était pas une affaire compliquée, et ces délais sont inacceptables.
Comme un juge de la Cour provinciale l’a déclaré le 25 mai 2015, il était [TRADUCTION] « absolument ridicule » que rien du tout n’ait été fait pour faire avancer l’instance depuis la première comparution des accusés le 12 janvier 2015, soit un total de 4 mois et 13 jours. À mon avis, le délai entre la première comparution et le 9 février 2015 ne peut pas être attribué aux accusés, mais le délai entre cette comparution et celle du 8 juin, lorsque les avocats ont enfin été prêts à fixer une date de procès, doit
leur être attribué. Je ne fais aucune distinction entre les deux accusés dans cette affaire, puisque ni l’un ni l’autre n’était prêt à procéder àla fixation de dates de procès pendant cette période. [22] Une fois qu’on a soustrait du total de 22,5 mois le délai d’un mois et trois semaines qu’a cernéle juge du procès et le délai que je conclus qu’il aurait également dû attribuer aux accusés (quatre mois), il est évident que le délai totalest inférieur au plafond présumé établi dans l’arrêt Jordan. En conséquence, je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. C. Verdict déraisonnable [23] M.
Lecompte soutient que la totalité de la preuve présentée au juge ne satisfait pas auxexigences de preuve hors de tout doute raisonnable qui permettraient de le déclarer coupable. [24] Le critère du verdict déraisonnable consiste à savoir si, après avoir examiné l’ensemble de lapreuve à la lumière de l’expérience judiciaire, le juge du procès aurait pu raisonnablement rendre ce verdict (voir R. c. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 R.C.S. 168, [1987] A.C.S. no 51 (QL), et R. c. Biniaris, 2000 CSC 15, [2000] 1 R.C.S. 381). [25] Dans l’arrêt R. c.
Oland, 2016 NBCA 58, [2016] A.N.-B. no 288 (QL), le juge en chef Drapeau,au nom de la Cour, donne l’explication suivante : Dans l’arrêt R. c. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 R.C.S. 168, [1987] A.C.S. no 51 (QL), la Cour a conclu qu’un appel pouvaitêtre accueilli et un acquittement inscrit conformément au ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) dans le cas où, et seulement dans le cas où, douze jurés ayantreçu les directives appropriées et agissant d’une manière judiciaire n’auraient pas raisonnablement pu rendre le verdict en cause. Dansune décision subséquente, R. c.
Biniaris, la Cour suprême a clarifié cette norme en déclarant qu’elle obligeait les cours d’appel : (1) « àexaminer, à analyser et, dans la mesure où il est possible de le faire compte tenu de la situation désavantageuse dans laquelle se trouve untribunal d’appel, à évaluer la preuve » (par. 36); et (2) à mener ce processus à bien « à la lumière de l’expérience judiciaire qui est unautre moyen d’éviter les déclarations de culpabilité injustifiées » (par. 40). Bien que cette dernière exigence confirme que le critère quirégit l’intervention en appel visée au ss-al.686(1)a)(
i) est [TRADUCTION] « différent de celui que le juge du procès doit appliquer lorsd’une demande de verdict imposé » (voir l’arrêt R. c. R. (J.S.), 2012 ONCA 568, [2012] O.J. No. 4063 (QL), au par. 69), il ne s’ensuitpas que la décision mûrement réfléchie de la défense de s’abstenir de demander un verdict d’acquittement imposé ne veut rien dire. Jereviendrai à cette question sous peu. Plus récemment, dans l’arrêt R. c.
W.H., la Cour suprême a jeté un éclairage utile sur le processus de révision envisagé au ss-al. 686(1)a)(i) : D’autre part, le tribunal d’appel ne peut se contenter d’apprécier le caractère suffisant de la preuve. Il ne s’acquitte pas de la tâche qui luiincombe en concluant qu’il existe des éléments de preuve qui, s’il leur est ajouté foi, étayent la déclaration de culpabilité.
Il doit plutôt« examiner, analyser et, dans la mesure où il est possible de le faire compte tenu de la situation désavantageuse dans laquelle se trouve untribunal d’appel, […] évaluer la preuve » (Biniaris, par. 36) et se demander, à la lumière de son expérience, si « l’appréciation judiciairedes faits exclut la conclusion tirée par le jury » par. 39 […].
Ainsi, pour déterminer si le verdict est de ceux qu’un jury ayant reçu lesdirectives appropriées et agissant de manière judiciaire aurait raisonnablement pu rendre, le tribunal d’appel doit se demander nonseulement si le verdict s’appuie sur des éléments de preuve, mais également si la conclusion du jury ne va pas à l’encontre de l’ensemblede l’expérience judiciaire : Biniaris, par. 40. [par. 28] Ma compréhension de la règle applicable est résumée dans l’ouvrage de Penney, Rondinelli et Stribopoulos, intitulé Criminal Procedurein Canada (Markham, Ont. : LexisNexis Canada Inc., 2011), aux p. 744 et 745. [TRADUCTION]Le critère que le tribunal d’appel doit appliquer sous le régime du ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) du Code a été établi par la Cour suprême du Canada;il consiste à déterminer si « le verdict est l’un de ceux qu’un jury qui a reçu les directives appropriées et qui agit d’une manière judiciaireaurait pu raisonnablement rendre ». Ce critère s’applique également à un juge qui préside un procès sans jury. Le juge Doherty asouligné dans l’arrêt R. c.
Mars que lorsque le verdict repose principalement sur une preuve circonstancielle, [TRADUCTION] « laquestion devient celle-ci : le juge des faits, agissant d’une manière judiciaire, pourrait-il être convaincu que la culpabilité de l’accusé étaitla seule conclusion raisonnable susceptible d’être tirée d’après la preuve dans son ensemble? ». Lorsqu’il examine la question de savoirsi un verdict est déraisonnable, le tribunal d’appel doit analyser et, dans une certaine mesure, apprécier de nouveau la preuve produite au
procès. Le tribunal doit le faire « à la lumière de l’expérience judiciaire » qui est un autre moyen d’éviter les déclarations de culpabilitéerronées. Le fardeau dont l’appelant doit s’acquitter pour établir que le verdict est déraisonnable a été qualifié de « lourd » et de« difficile ». Sur le plan pratique, [TRADUCTION] « il s’agit, au bout du compte, d’une décision [que prend le tribunal] et non d’unescience exacte.
L’évaluation globale de l’affaire comporte toujours un élément subjectif ». [par. 18.6] [par. 25 à 27] [26] En conséquence, la question dans l’affaire qui nous occupe consiste maintenant à savoir si lejuge des faits, agissant d’une manière judiciaire, pouvait être convaincu que la culpabilité de M. Lecompte était la seule conclusionraisonnable susceptible d’être tirée d’après la preuve dans son ensemble. À mon avis, compte tenu des faits de l’espèce, la réponse estaffirmative. [27] On a satisfait au fardeau de la preuve en présentant des preuves tant matérielles quecirconstancielles. Dans l’arrêt R. c.
Villaroman, 2016 CSC 33, [2016] 1 R.C.S. 1000, la Cour suprême a affirmé ce qui suit : Il est arrivé que des tribunaux ont affirmé que, dans les affaires reposant sur des éléments de preuve circonstancielle, [TRADUCTION]« les solutions compatibles avec l’innocence de l’accusé doivent être logiques et fondées sur des déductions tirées des faits prouvés » :voir R. c. McIver, (ON CA), [1965] 2 O.R. 475 (C.A.), p. 479; conf., sans analyse de cette question, par(SCC), [1966] R.C.S. 254. Toutefois, ce point de vue n’est plus accepté.
Pour évaluer une preuve circonstancielle, des inférencescompatibles avec l’innocence n’ont pas à découler de faits établis : R. c. Khela, 2009 CSC 4, [2009] 1 R.C.S. 104, par. 58; voirégalement R. c. Defaveri, 2014 BCCA 370, 361 B.C.A.C. 301, par. 10; R. c. Bui, 2014 ONCA 614, 14 C.R. (7th) 149, par. 28. Exigerque des faits établis appuient des explications autres que la culpabilité a pour effet d’imposer à tort à l’accusé l’obligation de prouver desfaits et va à l’encontre de la règle selon laquelle l’existence ou non d’un doute raisonnable est déterminée eu égard à l’ensemble de lapreuve.
Pour ce qui est de la preuve circonstancielle, il s’agit de considérer l’éventail des conclusions raisonnables qui peuvent êtretirées de cette preuve. S’il existe d’autres conclusions raisonnables que la culpabilité, la preuve du ministère public ne satisfait pas à lanorme de la preuve hors de tout doute raisonnable. Je suis d’accord avec l’intimé pour dire qu’un doute raisonnable, ou une autre thèse que la culpabilité, ne devient pas « conjectural » duseul fait que ce doute ou cette thèse repose sur une absence de preuve.
Comme l’a fait remarquer notre Cour dans l’arrêt Lifchus, undoute raisonnable « est un doute fondé sur la raison et le bon sens, et qui doit reposer logiquement sur la preuve ou l’absence depreuve » : par. 30 (je souligne). Une lacune particulière dans la preuve peut fonder d’autres inférences que la culpabilité. Mais cesinférences doivent être raisonnables compte tenu d’une appréciation logique de la preuve ou de l’absence de preuve, et suivantl’expérience humaine et le bon sens.
Lorsqu’il apprécie des éléments de preuve circonstancielle, le juge des faits doit considérer [TRADUCTION] « [d’]autre[s] thèse[s]plausible[s] » et d’« autres possibilités raisonnables » qui ne sont pas compatibles avec la culpabilité : R. c. Comba, (ONCA), [1938] O.R. 200 (C.A.), p. 205 et 211, le juge Middleton, conf. par (SCC), [1938] R.C.S. 396; R. c. Baigent, 2013BCCA 28, 335 B.C.A.C. 11, par. 20; R. c. Mitchell, [2008] QCA 394 (AustLII), par. 35.
Je conviens avec l’appelant qu’il peut donc êtrenécessaire pour le ministère public de réfuter ces possibilités raisonnables, mais il n’a certainement pas à « réfuter toutes les hypothèses,si irrationnelles et fantaisistes qu’elles soient, qui pourraient être compatibles avec l’innocence de l’accusé » : R. c. Bagshaw, (SCC), [1972] R.C.S. 2, p. 8. Une « autre thèse plausible » ou une « autre possibilité raisonnable » doit être basée surl’application de la logique et de l’expérience à la preuve ou à l’absence de preuve, et non sur des conjectures.
Il va de soi que la ligne de démarcation entre une « thèse plausible » et une « conjecture » n’est pas toujours facile à tracer. Cependant,la question fondamentale qui se pose est celle de savoir si la preuve circonstancielle, considérée logiquement et à la lumière del’expérience humaine et du bon sens, peut étayer une autre inférence que la culpabilité de l’accusé. […] Lorsqu’il a examiné la thèse de la défense, le juge a selon moi énoncé correctement le droit. Il a à juste
titre souligné que[TRADUCTION] « l’accusé ne peut demander au tribunal de s’appuyer sur une supposition ou conjecture découlant d’un récit purementhypothétique pour conclure que le ministère public n’a pas prouvé qu’il est coupable des infractions qu’on lui reproche » : par. 47. Lepassage de l’arrêt McIver cité par le juge vise à établir le même point, à savoir qu’un doute raisonnable ne peut découler d’uneconjecture ou d’une hypothèse. C’est tout à fait exact.
Comme l’a dit notre Cour dans Lifchus, « un doute raisonnable ne doit pas êtreimaginaire ou frivole », les accusations n’ont pas à être prouvées avec une certitude absolue, et le doute raisonnable doit plutôt reposersur « la raison et le bon sens » : par. 31 et 36. Le fardeau du ministère public ne lui impose pas l’obligation de « réfuter touteconjecture » : R. c. Paul, (SCC), [1977] 1 R.C.S. 181, p. 191. [par. 35 à 38 et 50]
[Soulignement et italique dans l’original.] [28] En l’espèce, les preuves circonstancielles principales étaient un véhicule loué pour seulementdeux jours, un voyage très rapide au Nouveau-Brunswick, la consommation de repas-minute dans le véhicule pour éviter les retards, unsac de voyage contenant des résidus de marihuana et dégageant une forte odeur de marihuana, et une forte somme d’argent (17 980 $)subdivisée et emballée en montants plus faibles.
La preuve incluait aussi un témoignage d’expert concernant la pratique habituelle despasseurs de drogue qui viennent du Québec au Nouveau-Brunswick, le prix de la marihuana dans les deux provinces et le fait que lemontant total d’argent trouvé concordait avec la vente de 10 livres de marihuana à 1 800 $ la livre. À mon avis, une fois que le juge duprocès a rejeté comme il l’a fait le témoignage de M.
Lecompte et a déterminé que son témoignage ne soulevait pas un douteraisonnable, l’évaluation de la preuve circonstancielle ajoutée à l’interprétation de certains éléments de preuve lors du témoignage del’expert rendait clairement raisonnable un verdict de culpabilité. Je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. D. Témoin expert [29] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Mohan, (SCC), [1994] 2 R.C.S. 9, [1994] A.C.S. no 36 (QL),la Cour suprême a établi les principes d’admissibilité de la preuve sous forme d’opinion.
La Cour a affirmé que l’admission d’unepreuve d’expert constitue une exception à la règle générale voulant que les opinions n’aient aucune pertinence. Les critères qui doiventêtre satisfaits pour accepter une preuve d’expert sont : 1) la pertinence; 2) la nécessité d’aider le juge des faits; 3) l’absence de toute règled’exclusion; 4) la qualification suffisante de l’expert. La pertinence est une exigence liminaire qui doit être déterminée par le jugecomme question de droit. [30] Le moyen d’appel soulevé par M. Lecompte touche les deux premiers critères.
Dans l’arrêtMohan, la Cour affirme que la preuve logiquement pertinente peut être exclue si sa valeur probante est surpassée par son effetpréjudiciable, si elle exige un temps excessivement long qui est sans commune mesure avec sa valeur ou si son effet sur le juge des faitsest disproportionné par rapport à sa fiabilité. Le facteur fiabilité-effet revêt une importance particulière dans l’appréciation del’admissibilité de la preuve d’expert. [31] La Cour est tenue de se demander si la preuve est susceptible de faciliter la tâche de recherchedes faits ou s’il est plus probable qu’elle embrouille le juge des faits.
Cette question est discutée dans l’arrêt Mohan : Dans l’arrêt R. c. Abbey, [ (SCC), [1982] 2 R.C.S. 24], le juge Dickson, plus tard Juge en chef, a dit à la p. 42 : Quant aux questions qui exigent des connaissances particulières, un expert dans le domaine peut tirer des conclusions et exprimer sonavis.
Le rôle d’un expert est précisément de fournir au juge et au jury une conclusion toute faite que ces derniers, en raison de latechnicité des faits, sont incapables de formuler. [TRADUCTION] « L’opinion d’un expert est recevable pour donner à la cour desrenseignements scientifiques qui, selon toute vraisemblance, dépassent l’expérience et la connaissance d’un juge ou d’un jury. Si, àpartir des faits établis par la preuve, un juge ou un jury peut à lui seul tirer ses propres conclusions, alors l’opinion de l’expert n’est pasnécessaire » (Turner (1974), 60 Crim. App. R. 80, à la p. 83, le lord juge Lawton).
Cette condition préalable est fréquemment reprise dans la question de savoir si la preuve serait utile au juge des faits. Le mot « utile »n’est pas tout à fait juste car il établit un seuil trop bas. Toutefois, je ne jugerais pas la nécessité selon une norme trop stricte. L’exigence est que l’opinion soit nécessaire au sens qu’elle fournit des renseignements « qui, selon toute vraisemblance, dépassentl’expérience et la connaissance d’un juge ou d’un jury » : cité par le juge Dickson, dans Abbey, précité.
Comme le juge Dickson l’a dit,la preuve doit être nécessaire pour permettre au juge des faits d’apprécier les questions en litige étant donné leur nature technique. Dans l’arrêt Kelliher (Village of) c. Smith, (SCC), [1931] R.C.S. 672, à la p. 684, notre Cour, citant Beven on Negligence (4e éd. 1928) à la p. 141, a déclaré que la preuve d’expert était admissible si [traduction] « l’objet de l’analyse est tel qu’il est peu probableque des personnes ordinaires puissent former un jugement juste à cet égard sans l’assistance de personnes possédant des connaissancesspéciales ». Plus récemment, dans l’arrêt R. c.
Lavallee, précité, les passages précités des arrêts Kelliher et Abbey ont été appliqués pouradmettre une preuve d’expert sur l’état d’esprit d’une femme « battue ». On a souligné qu’il s’agissait là d’un domaine que la personneordinaire ne comprend pas. Comme la pertinence, analysée précédemment, la nécessité de la preuve est évaluée à la lumière de la possibilité qu’elle fausse le
processus de recherche des faits. Comme le lord juge Lawton l’a remarqué dans l’arrêt R. c. Turner, [1975] Q.B. 834, à la p. 841, qui aété approuvé par lord Wilberforce dans l’arrêt Director of Public Prosecutions c. Jordan, [1977] A.C. 699, à la p. 718 : [traduction] « L’opinion d’un expert est recevable pour donner à la cour des renseignements scientifiques qui, selon toute vraisemblance,dépassent l’expérience et la connaissance d’un juge ou d’un jury. Si, à partir des faits établis par la preuve, un juge ou un jury peut à luiseul tirer ses propres conclusions, alors l’opinion de l’expert n’est pas nécessaire.
Dans un tel cas, si elle est exprimée dans un jargonscientifique, elle rend la tâche de juger plus difficile. Le seul fait qu’un témoin expert possède des qualifications scientifiquesimpressionnantes ne signifie pas que son opinion sur les questions de la nature et du comportement humains dans le cadre de la normalitéest plus utile que celle des jurés eux-mêmes; ces derniers risquent toutefois de croire qu’elle l’est. » La possibilité que la preuve ait un impact excessif sur le jury et le détourne de ses tâches peut souvent être contrecarrée par desdirectives appropriées.
Il y a également la crainte inhérente à l’application de ce critère que les experts ne puissent usurper les fonctions du juge des faits. Uneconception trop libérale pourrait réduire le procès à un simple concours d’experts, dont le juge des faits se ferait l’arbitre en décidantquel expert accepter. [p. 23 et 24] [32] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Bryan, (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No. 1960 (C.A.) (QL), laCour d’appel de l’Ontario a rejeté l’argument voulant que la preuve d’expert concernant le trafic de drogues soit écartée parce que cettepreuve portait sur la question fondamentale du procès.
La Cour a conclu que l’expert était suffisamment qualifié et que son témoignageétait à la fois nécessaire et utile au juge des faits. Un expert a pareillement témoigné dans l’affaire R. c. Sekhon, 2014 CSC 15, [2014] 1R.C.S. 272. [33] En l’espèce, le témoignage du caporal Martel était fondé sur les connaissances spécialisées qu’ilavait acquises au fil de ses années d’expérience de travail comme enquêteur sur les opérations de trafic de drogues. Sa preuve n’a pas étéprésentée en termes scientifiques. Il n’a pas formulé d’opinion sur la crédibilité de M. Lecompte.
Il a simplement témoigné quel’explication des événements donnée par M. Lecompte ne correspondait pas à la situation factuelle d’après l’expérience de travail ducaporal Martel. La Cour a admi