2022 NBCA 4, 2022 NBCA 4
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 27-21-CA COLE EDMONDSON and MICHELLE MACDONALD as litigation guardian for COLE EDMONDSON APPELLANTS COLE EDMONDSON et MICHELLE MACDONALD, tutrice d’instance de COLE EDMONDSON APPELANTS - and - - et - CORY J. EDMONDSON and THE ESTATE OF DOREEN PHILLIPS RESPONDENTS CORY J. EDMONDSON et LA SUCCESSION DE DOREEN PHILLIPS INTIMÉS Edmondson et al. v. Edmondson et al., 2022 NBCA 4 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond Edmondson et autre c.
Edmondson et autre, 2022 NBCA 4 CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: March 9, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 9 mars 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 53 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 53 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2021] N.B.J. No. 129 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2021] A.N.-B. no 129 Appeal heard: October 19, 2021 Appel entendu : le 19 octobre 2021
Judgment rendered: January 27, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 27 janvier 2022 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Green Counsel at hearing: For the Appellants: George A. McAllister, Q.C. For the respondent, Cory J. Edmondson: Michael D. Brenton, Q.C. For the respondent, Estate of Doreen Phillips: Steven R. Barnett, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Green Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : George A. McAllister, c.r. Pour l’intimé, Cory J.
Edmondson : Michael D. Brenton, c.r. Pour l’intimée, la succession de Doreen Phillips : Steven R. Barnett, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is allowed. The motion judge’s decision denying
summary judgment against Cory Edmondson is set aside, and
summary judgment is entered for the liability portion of the action against him. The motion judge’s decision to refuse to award costs against the estate of Doreen Phillips is set aside. Two sets of costs in the amount of $3,000 each are awarded against the Estate and Cory Edmondson respectively with respect to the motions below. Additional costs of $2,500 and $1,500 are awarded on appeal respectively against Cory Edmondson and the Estate. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli. La décision de la juge saisie de la motion dans laquelle elle rejette la demande de jugement
sommaire contre Cory Edmondson est annulée et un jugement
sommaire est inscrit contre lui quant à la
partie de l’action portant sur la responsabilité. La décision de la juge saisie de la motion dans laquelle elle refuse d’adjuger des dépens contre la succession de Doreen Phillips est annulée. Deux masses de dépens de 3 000 $ chacune sont adjugées contre la succession et Cory Edmondson respectivement à l’égard des motions tranchées par le tribunal d’instance inférieure. Des dépens supplémentaires de 2 500 $ et 1 500 $ en appel sont adjugés contre Cory Edmondson et la succession respectivement . The judgment of the Court was delivered by
LEBLOND, J.A. I. Overview [ 1 ] The facts of this matter are relatively straightforward and not in dispute. The legal issues which arise from them are more challenging. For the purposes of this appeal, the Court is required to conduct a review of a motion judge’s assessment of a father’s potential liability for parental negligence with respect to injuries sustained by his son as a result of a motorcycle collision with another vehicle and then, to determine whether
summary judgment against the father ought to have been entered for such liability. [ 2 ] The judge denied the son’s motion for
summary judgment against his father. Leave to appeal that decision was granted. For the reasons set out in the text below, I would allow the appeal, set aside the motion judge’s decision, enter
summary judgment against the father for the liability portion of the action and order costs payable throughout. Damages have yet to be assessed. [ 3 ] The motion judge refused to fix costs against the respondent Estate following the appellant’s successful motion for
summary judgment against it. Leave to appeal that disposition was granted on May 12, 2021. I would allow the appeal on costs against the Estate, set aside the motion judge’s disposition and award costs accordingly. II. Factual Context [ 4 ] On June 30, 2010, the respondent Cory Edmondson decided to go for a ride on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle and to bring along his five-year-old son, the appellant Cole Edmondson as a rear passenger. The motorcycle was not designed to carry more than one person ( s. 199(1) , Motor Vehicle Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c.
M-17 ). [ 5 ] Cory placed Cole on a makeshift seat he fabricated himself and rigged onto the top of the rear fender of the motorcycle. He made the seat by cutting out a piece of Styrofoam, which he had wrapped in leather and fastened to the fender with suction cups. The evidence in the record establishes this was purely his design, and he had not consulted any manual or the manufacturer. This seat did not have a back rest. Moreover, Cole’s feet could not reach the rear foot pegs that had been installed on the bike. It is not disputed this seat was not suitable to transport a child as a passenger.
Moreover, it did not meet the requirements of s. 199(1) . [ 6 ] Rather than dress Cole in protective clothing and equipment, which were available in their home and suitable for him, Cory chose not to use any of it and he placed Cole on the motorbike dressed in plain street clothes and wearing an adult helmet, which was much too big for him, notwithstanding Cole had a properly fitting helmet at home. [ 7 ] Given that Cole’s legs could not reach the foot pegs and that his stability on the motorcycle would be even further compromised beyond the issues created by the makeshift seat, Cory tied Cole to himself with a belt or strap, which he wrapped around the two of them. [ 8 ] The pair then left the subdivision where they lived, heading for Route 102, also known, in the Fredericton area, as the Lincoln Road.
It was acknowledged at the hearing that they travelled a short distance over a brief period before the collision occurred near the intersection of the Lincoln Road and Tamarack Drive. [ 9 ] As the motorcycle was travelling eastbound on the Lincoln Road at approximately 75 kilometres per hour, according to the record, the respondent Doreen Phillips was travelling westbound in her Pontiac Sunfire and intended to turn left onto Tamarack Drive. Conditions were ideal, and there was nothing to obstruct her view of oncoming traffic.
She proceeded into her left turn and failed to yield the right-of-way to Cory’s motorcycle. The record is not clear as to whether Ms. Phillips saw him approaching or whether she fell victim to the well-known phenomenon of the “invisible motorcycle,” but there is no dispute it was there to be plainly seen. Her vehicle did not leave any pre-impact tire marks on the road surface. An eyewitness to the accident asked her what she was thinking in making that turn, to which Ms. Phillips replied she did not know. She later passed away for reasons unrelated to the accident. She was not injured in the accident.
[ 10 ] Upon seeing the Sunfire move into his lane of travel, Cory forcefully applied the brakes, causing the motorcycle to skid over approximately 14 metres until its right side collided with the rear right side of the Sunfire. The force of the impact caused the motorcycle to deflect to Cory’s left and then to topple onto its right side, causing Cory and Cole, still strapped together, to fall to the road surface and continue sliding in a northeast direction. [ 11 ] A third vehicle, a Ford Escape SUV, had been travelling westbound behind the Sunfire.
Its driver had brought her vehicle to a stop prior to Cory and Cole sliding underneath its front end. The two of them came to rest lying on their right sides under the Escape with Cory lying closer to the front of it and Cole lying behind him, indicating the two of them would have rotated in unison post impact with the Sunfire and/or while sliding on the road surface before coming to rest.
When the first responders arrived at the scene to extricate them from under the Escape, Cory and Cole were still strapped together, and the strap had to be cut. [ 12 ] Cole came into contact with the hot exhaust components of the Escape while trapped under it and sustained very severe burns in addition to fractures and other significant injuries. [ 13 ] The motion judge allowed Cole’s motion for
summary judgment against the Estate of Doreen Phillips for her liability in negligence, and that is not an issue in this appeal. However, she refused to fix and award costs against the Estate, and leave to appeal that disposition was granted to Cole. [ 14 ] The judge refused to grant the companion motion for
summary judgment against Cory for liability arising from his parental negligence. She stated she was not sure about the circumstances that led Cory to take Cole for the ride, surmising that, if it was because of some urgency or out of necessity, the assessment of Cory’s actions might be viewed differently (paras. 55-56).
It was on this basis she found there was insufficient evidence to make a determination; she thus concluded there was a genuine issue requiring a trial of that claim. [ 15 ] As will be seen, there was no evidence in the record of any such urgency or necessity and, indeed, the only evidence was that Cory wanted to visit a friend and decided to take Cole with him for the ride. The refusal to grant
summary judgment against Cory was grounded strictly on the judge’s speculation. Counsel before us on appeal, who also appeared before the motion judge, confirmed there was no discussion, let alone pleading, of any notion of urgency or necessity before her. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 16 ] Cole argues the judge erred: A. In failing to correctly state and adjudicate Cory’s standard of care; B. In finding Cole had to prove causation “per injury” to obtain
summary judgment for liability in negligence; and C. In failing to award costs against the Estate. IV. Standards of Review [ 17 ] The first ground requires an assessment of a legal standard. An error with respect to such a finding that results from “a failure to consider a required element of a legal test, or similar error in principle,” is an error of law subject to the standard of correctness: Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , at para. 36 . [ 18 ] The second ground raises a pure question of law reviewable on the standard of correctness.
[19] The third ground relates to the application of Rule 59.08(1)(
b) of the Rules of Court. It involves the applicationof legal principles to a judge’s exercise of discretion and is reviewable in accordance with the Court’s direction in Acadia Marble, Tile &Terrazzo Ltd. v. Oromocto Property Developments Ltd. (1998), (NB CA), 205 N.B.R. (2d) 358, [1998] N.B.J.
No.412 (QL) (C.A.). [20] In addition to the first two grounds raised by Cole, this case presents the Court with an opportunity to addressthe issue of the exercise of discretion which, in many cases, will be central to a judge’s disposition under Rule 22 of the Rules of Court.The Court typically treats such a discretionary exercise with deference and will rarely intervene: Babin v. C.J.M. Dieppe Investments Ltd.and TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. and Sood, 2019 NBCA 44, [2019] N.B.J. No. 144 (QL). However, discretion must be exercised judicially. [21] In Goyetche et al. v.
International Union of Operating Engineers et al., 2019 NBCA 16, [2019] N.B.J. No. 36(QL), the Court held that Rule 22 determinations are subject to standards of review applicable following a conventional trial: The standard of review applicable to a determination under Rule 22 is the standard applicable to appeals following a traditional trial.Propositions of law are reviewed on the correctness standard. Findings of fact or mixed fact and law are tested on the palpable andoverriding standard.
Discretionary decisions are reviewed on the Beaverbrook standard (see The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v.The Beaverbrook Art Gallery, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161, at para. 4). Absent a material error of fact, mixed fact and law orlaw, reversal is permissible only where the outcome is unreasonable. [para. 35] [22] In this case, the motion judge made a number of generic remarks relating to concerns over the advisability andavailability of Rule 22 motions and she noted several Queen’s Bench decisions that raise the same concerns (para. 21). The upshot is thatsome motions for
summary judgment are perhaps being denied for reasons that are rooted in misunderstandings of certain elements ofthe Rule. The motion judge touched on some of these elements, and I will therefore begin the requisite analysis by addressing theseissues to hopefully dispel any such misunderstanding so that motion judges will feel comfortable with the continued robust application ofthe Rule in the full spirit of what the Supreme Court intended in Hryniak v. Mauldin, 2014 SCC 7, [2014] 1 S.C.R. 87. I will then dealwith the substantive issues of the appeal. V. Analysis A.
Application of Rule 22 [23] The motion judge was correct in not allowing herself to be deterred by what she considered was a complicatedcase featuring “the unusual element of parental negligence” (para. 5). Indeed, the availability of
summary judgment is not dependentupon the complexity level of any case in the sense that motion judges need not focus on complexity as they work their way through thetwo-part process of Rule 22 as outlined in Russell et al. v. Northumberland Co-Operative Limited, 2019 NBCA 70, [2019] N.B.J. No.285 (QL). [24] In this personal injury action, the respondents opposed the motions for
summary judgment on the issue ofliability because they thought it was “too complicated” to determine without a trial and it could not be separated from the issue ofdamages without a bifurcation order under Rule 47.03(1) or the consent of the parties under Rule 22.04(1)(b) (para. 12). [25] The motion judge addressed this in a preliminary fashion. This is where she notes some of her colleagues onthe Queen’s Bench have struggled with disputed motions for partial
summary judgment either in the absence of consent amongst theparties or in cases involving multiple defendants. She wondered about the point of having the bifurcation provision of Rule 47.03(1) if amatter can proceed toward partial
summary judgment without consent. She also notes Rule 22.04(1)(
a) refers only to
summary judgmentfor a “claim” and not “part of a claim,” whereas Rule 22.04(1)(
b) refers to
summary judgment for “part” of a claim where the partiesconsent to proceed in that fashion. She indicates this Court has not clearly indicated “part of a claim” can be subject to
summaryjudgment as the issue has not been directly before the Court (para. 25). [26] In fact, the Court has opined on the availability of
summary judgment for part of a claim or defence: Cannon v.Lange et al. (1998), (NB CA), 203 N.B.R. (2d) 121, [1998] N.B.J. No. 313 (QL) (C.A.), at para. 10. Moreover,Drapeau J.A., writing for the Court, clearly stated the Rule permits “the court to determine a question of law, and to grant judgmentaccordingly” (para. 11). Determining the issue of Cory’s liability for negligence in this case is a question of law with respect to whichsummary judgment is available.
[ 27 ] With the advent of the revamped version of Rule 22 in 2017, coming on the heels of the Supreme Court’s pronouncement in Hryniak , the Court’s disposition in Lange took on greater significance. As Drapeau C.J.N.B., as he then was, noted in O’Toole v. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 58 (QL) , the objective of the new Rule is to bring about “an early determination where there is no issue requiring a trial with respect to a claim or defence ” (my emphasis; para. 5) [ 28 ] The motion judge distinguished the Court’s decision in Trider v. Galloway , 2020 NBCA 64 , [2020] N.B.J.
No. 225 (QL) , which held liability could be established summarily separately from damages, on the basis it was set in the context of an admission of liability and not of an absence of consent (para. 22). She noted the decision of Ferguson J. in Doucet v. Leblanc & Steeves et al ., 2020 NBQB 254 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 329 (QL) , wherein he denied a motion for
summary judgment in a case with multiple defendants, citing Babin , where Richard C.J.N.B., writing for the Court, noted the unique complication of a single defendant seeking
summary judgment in a multi-defendant action which, as the Supreme Court in Hryniak had observed, presents a risk of duplicative proceedings or inconsistent findings of fact if part of the action is going to proceed to trial in any event (paras. 24-25). [ 29 ] In my view, as was the case in Babin , that risk did not present itself as an obstacle in this case because the plaintiff, Cole, sought
summary judgment for liability in negligence against both defendants but on two distinct causes of action based on distinct facts. There was no possibility for conflicting findings of fact here in terms of the distinct causes of action pleaded against the two defendants. [ 30 ] In Babin , Richard C.J.N.B. refers to the decision of Pepall J.A., of the Court of Appeal for Ontario, in Butera v. Chown, Cairns LLP , 2017 ONCA 783 , [2017] O.J. No. 5267 (QL) , which noted a number of factors to be considered in determining whether to grant partial
summary judgment. Chief Justice Richard listed them in the form of questions for the judge to consider: […] 1) Is this a case where the issue on which judgment is sought is clearly severable from the balance of the case? 2) Is there a risk of duplicative or inconsistent findings at trial, including if the record at trial could be different than that of the motion? 3) Is the granting of partial
summary judgment advisable in the context of the litigation as a whole? 4) Would the motion for
summary judgment delay the main action, considering that there is a possibility of appeal? 5) Are the costs of proceeding with a motion for
summary judgment justifiable? 6) Is it worth the judicial time necessary to rule on a matter that will not wholly dispose of the action? [para. 39] [ 31 ] The Chief Justice then set out the test formulated by Pepall J.A.: […] When bringing a motion for partial
summary judgment, the moving party should consider these factors in assessing whether the motion is advisable in the context of the litigation as a whole. A motion for partial
summary judgment should be considered to be a rare procedure that is reserved for an issue or issues that may be readily bifurcated from those in the main action and that may be dealt with expeditiously and in a cost effective manner. Such an approach is consistent with the objectives described by the Supreme Court in Hryniak and with the direction that the Rules be liberally construed to secure the just, most expeditious, and least expensive determination of every civil proceeding on its merits. [para. 34]
[Emphasis in original; para. 40] He then upheld the
summary judgment judge’s dismissal of the action against only one of the defendants, notwithstanding several of the above-noted factors might have weighed against granting partial
summary judgment against the other. In the end, all factors were processed as part of the judge’s exercise of discretion and, to the extent the decision was correct in law, and there was no possibility of a conflicting trial decision later, no purpose could be served in questioning the judge’s discretion. [ 32 ] The motion judge below, while accepting the conclusion in Babin , observed it did not precisely address the case before her where
summary judgment was sought for only part of a claim on a non-consensual basis, nor did she consider it addressed a case where a remedy may be sought against both defendants, but granted against only one (para. 25). [ 33 ] In the end, she espoused the Hrynia k principles of “open and bold” courts and properly elected to forge ahead to see if, in the circumstances of this case, partial
summary judgment could be granted (para. 26). [ 34 ] I now turn to the procedural issues the motion judge raised with respect to Rules 22 and 47.03(1). [ 35 ] Rule 22.01 states that once a defence is served, the plaintiff can move for
summary judgment “on all or part of the claim” (emphasis added). At paras. 19-26 of her decision, the motion judge wrote that under Rule 22.01 she could not issue a
summary judgment on “part of a claim” without the consent of all parties or a bifurcation order under Rule 47.03(1). Rule 22.01 makes no mention of any such consent requirement as a prerequisite to obtaining partial
summary judgment. In Dupuis v. City of Moncton , 2005 NBCA 47 , 284 N.B.R. (2d) 97 , the Court decided a motion could be brought on any issue, and there is no mention of consent as being a requirement. See also Lange and O’Toole . [ 36 ] At para. 20 of her decision, the judge addresses the issue of the application of Rule 22 without bifurcation under Rule 47.03(1). She questions the point of having Rule 47.03(1) if a party can get
summary judgment on part of a claim without bifurcation. Her premise is incorrect. [ 37 ] In Walsh v. Nicholls and CGU Insurance Company of Canada , 2004 NBCA 59 , 273 N.B.R. (2d) 203 , the Court ordered bifurcation to permit adjudication of a threshold issue before all other issues raised in the action (para. 89). That is the typical objective of bifurcation, while keeping in mind whether the foundational rules of cost effectiveness and timeliness will be met. [ 38 ] In Shanks v.
Shay et al. , 2015 NBCA 2 , 429 NBR (2d) 290 , Larlee J.A. reviewed the authorities and concluded judges in New Brunswick are to apply the “just and convenient” test to determine if bifurcation should occur. Again, this case was within the context of a full trial proceeding on the threshold issue to be determined. Larlee J.A. also notes in Shanks that, from an access to justice perspective, it is always preferable to interpret the Rules “to favour resolution of issues in the most efficient, expedient, and least onerous manner possible” (para. 22).
Judges are to address their minds to the criteria relevant to the case at hand in ultimately deciding if bifurcation under Rule 47.03(1) is just and convenient. [ 39 ] However, nothing in Rule 22 requires the application of the bifurcation process of Rule 47.03(1) in order to deal with
summary judgment for part of a claim under Rule 22. The bifurcation process assumes an issue requires a full trial, whereas Rule 22 exists to permit
summary judgment where there is no genuine issue requiring a trial. While both rules are designed to deal with part of a claim, they do so in very different contexts: Rule 22 is designed to take a claim to judgment without the necessity of trial whereas Rule 47.03(1) is designed to permit taking a threshold issue within a case to a full trial, presumably because it cannot be disposed of summarily under Rule 22. However, if the issue can be disposed summarily once Rule 47.03 has been engaged, nothing in that Rule precludes resort to Rule 22. [ 40 ] Rule 22.01 clearly gives a plaintiff or defendant the right to move for
summary judgment for all or part of the claim in the Statement of Claim . With respect, the motion judge was mistaken in suggesting there is no point to bifurcation under Rule 47.03(1) if a party can move for
summary judgment without the consent of the other parties. [ 41 ] She goes on to find it “peculiar” Rule 22.04(1)(
a) refers only to granting
summary judgment with respect to “a claim or defence,” whereas Rule 22.04(1)(
b) refers to
summary judgment for “part of a claim” where there is “agreement between the parties.” In my view, those provisions need to be interpreted in context. They are the “general provisions” on the manner by which a
judge is to dispose of the motion. Rule 22.04(1)(
a) states the court shall grant
summary judgment if it is satisfied there is no genuineissue requiring a trial with respect to a claim or defence. The phrase “genuine issue” relates to any claim or defence raised as contained inthe Statement of Claim or Statement of Defence. Rule 22.04(1)(
b) states the court shall grant judgment if the parties consent to have allor part of the claim so determined. Rule 22.04(1)(a), therefore, deals with cases where parties do not consent to having an issuedetermined by
summary judgment because that is the only way to give meaning to Rule 22.01: Babin, at para. 33. On the other hand,Rule 22.04(1)(
b) deals with situations where the parties consent. In either case, the judge will need to judicially exercise discretion todetermine whether
summary judgment should be granted. All of this is consistent with Lange and O’Toole as previously noted. [42] Although partial
summary judgments may run the risk of duplication and inconsistent findings of fact, they arenot precluded because of that, and Hryniak certainly supports this. These are factors a judge ought to consider in exercising discretionand determining whether it is “in the interests of justice” to exercise the powers given under Rule 22.04(2) or whether the matter shouldproceed to trial. [43] In the end, the motion judge agreed
summary judgment for part of a claim could be granted absent the consentof all parties and, in my view, that was a proper determination. At para. 25, she expresses concern with the fact Babin does not preciselyaddress the issue before her where the remedy sought may well be against both defendants, but the remedy may be granted against onlyone defendant. The answer to that concern is found in Rule 22.07: a
summary judgment obtained under Rule 22 does not prejudice theplaintiff’s right to proceed against any other defendant for the same or other relief. That is not an issue in this appeal. B. Substantive issues on appeal [44] The two grounds of appeal against Cory are closely connected, and my analysis will therefore deal with themjointly. Cory’s liability at law in negligence depends upon the assessment of tort law principles relating to parental negligence under thefollowing headings: 1) duty of care; 2) standard of care; 3) causation; and 4) remoteness of damage or proximate cause.
(1) Duty of care [45] The oft-cited observation in the Supreme Court’s decision in Arnold v. Teno, (SCC), [1978] 2S.C.R. 287, bears repeating: “[…] parents are […] under a legal duty to exercise reasonable care to protect their child from foreseeabledangers. I do not consider that a parent while present is ever able to shed responsibility for the child’s safety […]” (emphasis in original,at p. 311, quoting from McCallion v.
Dodd, [1966] N.Z.L.R. 710). [46] Although the facts of this case hardly warrant an in-depth analysis of Cory’s duty of care toward Cole, thefollowing synopsis confirms its existence. [47] To be liable, a defendant must owe a plaintiff a duty of care, which is a question of law. Duty has been definedas an obligation, recognized by law, to avoid conduct fraught with unreasonable risk or damage to others: John G. Fleming, Fleming’sthe Law of Torts, 10th ed. (Australia: Thomson Reuters, 2011) at p. 152. [48] The duty must arise out of some “relation” or “proximity” between the parties.
The classic pronouncement,now ninety years old but still strikingly relevant to the circumstances of this case, is Lord Atkin’s speech in Donoghue v. Stevenson,(FOREP), [1932] AC 562 (HL): You must take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions which you can reasonably foresee would be likely to injure your neighbour.Who, then, in law is my neighbour? The answer seems to be – persons who are so closely and directly affected by my act that I ought
reasonably to have them in contemplation as being so affected when I am directing my mind to the acts or omissions which are called inquestion. [p. 580] [49] If Cory had directed his mind to this duty, he would not have placed Cole on the motorcycle in thecircumstances. A prima facie duty of care arises here, where, given his relationship of proximity with his son, carelessness on his partcould reasonably be contemplated to cause Cole damage: Anns v. Merton London Borough Council, [1978] AC 728 (HL). [50] This has been the accepted status of the law relating to duty of care in Canada ever since Kamloops v.
Nielsen,(SCC), [1984] 2 S.C.R. 2, [1984] S.C.J. No. 29 (QL), and Cooper v. Hobart, 2001 SCC 79, [2001] 3 S.C.R. 537. [51] There can be no doubt in this case that, at law, both foreseeability (Donoghue) and proximity (Anns) are presentto establish Cory’s duty of care toward Cole. The two elements of foreseeability that form the basis of the proximity requirement of Anns(that is of harm and to a particular plaintiff) are present. A parent is in a position of control over a vulnerable child and owes that childaffirmative obligations. Indeed, control and vulnerability are what creates this classic duty of care.
(2) Standard of care [52] The formulation of a standard of care involves questions of mixed fact and law and may be influenced by astatutory obligation: Galaske v. O’Donnell, (SCC), [1994] 1 S.C.R. 670, [1994] S.C.J. No. 28 (QL), per Sopinka andMajor JJ. in dissent on other issues.
That principle takes on significant relevance in this case in light of s. 199(1) of the Motor VehicleAct, which states: Motorcycle passengers 199(1) A person operating a motorcycle shallride only upon the permanent and regular seatattached thereto, and such driver shall notcarry any other person nor shall any otherperson ride on a motorcycle unless suchmotorcycle is designed to carry more thanone person, in which event a passenger mayride upon the permanent and regularpassenger seat, or in a side-car. [Emphasisadded.] Passagers d’une motocyclette 199(1) Une personne conduisant unemotocyclette ne doit rouler qu’en positionassise sur la selle permanente et normale quiy est fixée; ce conducteur ne doit transporteraucune autre personne, et personne d’autreque lui ne doit voyager sur une motocycletteà moins que celle-ci ne soit conçue pourtransporter plus d’une personne, auquel casun passager peut voyager assis sur la sellepermanente et normale prévue pour lepassager ou dans un side-car. [C’est moi quisouligne.] [53] It is beyond dispute this provision is safety focused.
Riding on a motorcycle is inherently riskier than being anoccupant in a motor vehicle. None of the protection features of an automobile, such as seat belts, airbags and a metal frame enclosure, isavailable on a motorcycle. Hence, there is much greater risk of catastrophic injuries in the event of an accident. Those are theconsiderations that inform s. 199. I discuss this more fully later under the heading “Remoteness or proximate cause.” [54] This is consistent with other safety-related provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, which exist for the benefit andprotection of children.
To the extent a motorcycle is captured by the definition of “motor vehicle” in the Act, safety-related provisionsapplicable to the operation of a motor vehicle are relevant to Cory’s operation of his motorcycle with Cole as his passenger. For instance,s. 200.1(6)(
b) states no one can operate a motor vehicle with a child on board unless that child is properly seated and restrained in a seatsystem prescribed by regulation. Although not directly applicable to this case, s. 200.1(6)(
b) clearly illustrates the intent that children beprotected at all times while being transported by motor vehicles. Another example is s. 140(2) which states no person shall drive on ahighway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. Cole pleadedthis provision and, surely, no one could reasonably dispute that transporting him, at almost any speed, on the subject motorcycle in thecircumstances I have described placed him in real risk of harm.
Section 140 is but another safety-focused provision intended to protecteverybody, and most certainly children. [55] Moreover, motorcycles are less stable during emergency braking and crash avoidance manoeuvres. Most
significantly, they are also less visible on the roadway. These indisputable realities are consistent with the safety-focused sections of theMotor Vehicle Act. The Supreme Court in The Queen (Can.) v. Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, (SCC), [1983] 1 S.C.R. 205,[1983] S.C.J. No. 14 (QL), held that breach of a statutory provision is prima facie evidence of negligence. Such a breach gives rise tocivil liability where the statutory provisions, like those referenced above, are intended to inform or create a standard of care: Ryan v.Victoria (City), (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 201, [1999] S.C.J. No. 7 (QL).
The civil consequences of a breach of statuteare subsumed in the law of negligence. [56] In what manner did Cory breach s. 199(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act? He placed Cole on a motorcycle that wasnot equipped to carry more than one person. This amounted to blatant negligence. Rigging a makeshift seat to the rear fender of his bikewith suction cups for Cole to sit on did not comply with s. 199(1). The Legislature, in its wisdom, determined that failure to comply withs. 199(1) would cross the line of permissive conduct. The result is a breach of the standard of care.
That breach was compounded byCory’s breach of other safety-oriented provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act such as s. 140(2). The evidence before the motion judgecould only lead to a finding of Cory’s breach of his standard of care and, thus, his negligence. Giving effect to that negligence, however,requires further analysis. [57] As noted, proof of negligence is a question of mixed fact and law. Conduct is negligent only if it creates anunreasonable risk of harm: Mustapha v. Culligan of Canada Ltd., 2008 SCC 27, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 114, at para. 7.
The concept ofunreasonableness is measured by balancing the danger created by the conduct against the utility of that conduct. If the former outweighsthe latter, liability typically follows: Allen M. Linden, et al., Canadian Tort Law, 11th ed. (Toronto: LexisNexis, 2018) at § 5.6. [58] There are two components to assessing risk associated with dangerous conduct:
a) the risk of harm; and
b) the severity of the potential harm should an accident occur. In terms of the weighing of the conduct against its utility, two additional elements need to be considered:
c) the purpose or object of the conduct; and
d) the burden or cost to the actor of eliminating the hazard. (
a) Risk of harm [59] The law requires that there be a real or substantial risk of harm. The leading authority on this point continues tobe Bolton v. Stone, [1951] AC 850 (HL). The test to determine risk of harm is to ask whether a reasonable person, standing in theposition of the actor, viewing the matter from a safety perspective, would consider the risk so small as to believe it acceptable not to takeany steps to prevent the danger (at p. 867).
This assessment takes into consideration not only the remoteness of the danger (discussedmore fully below) but also how serious the consequences are likely to be if the plaintiff, to whom the duty of care is owed, is hurt. [60] There is no definition of the “reasonable person.” Linden, et al., at § 5.43, cite the passage of Baron Aldersonin Blyth v. Birmingham Water Works Co. (1856), 11 Ex. 781, to express the notion that defining what a reasonable person would orwould not do is fully dependant on common sense.
The authors incorporate the concept of the reasonable person in a definition ofnegligence which, for the purposes of this appeal, is as follows: “Negligence is […] doing something which a prudent and reasonable [person] would not do. The defendants might have been liable fornegligence if, unintentionally, they […] did that which a person taking reasonable precautions would not have done.” (at p. 784). In sum,“the standard of care in negligence is that of the reasonable person in similar circumstances.”: McLachlin, CJC in Hill v.
Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Police Services Board, 2007 SCC 41 [2007] SCJ No. 41 (at par. 69).
(
b) Severity of the harm [61] The precautions to be taken must be commensurate with the danger. If the potential loss is great, creating evena small risk could result in liability: Montreal Park & Island Railway Company v. McDougall (1905), (SCC), 36 S.C.R.1, [1905] S.C.J. No. 20 (QL). (
c) Object of the conduct [62] It is only in situations where an activity has a high social value that liability for assuming risk may be excused,but that factor does not arise in this case. (
d) Cost to eliminate the harm [63] Finally, the risk assessment must factor in the cost of removing or reducing it. The more minimal the cost, thegreater the likelihood liability will follow. [64] I pause to take stock of how Cory’s conduct stacks up, at law, to this point of the analysis: 1) Did he owe Cole a duty of care? Clearly. 2) Did he breach his standard of care? Yes because: - he was not safety-focused in placing Cole on the rear “seat;” - riding on a motorcycle presents a greater risk than riding in an automobile; and - his conduct placed Cole at unreasonable risk of harm because:
a) a reasonable person would have foreseen the risk of harm in these circumstances;
b) there is greater risk of severe injury for Cole if he is transported on a motorcycle rather than in an automobile in the event of anaccident, particularly in the circumstances of this case, and the risk to Cole increases the greater the speed of the motorcycle, even if it iswell within the posted limit;
c) there is no evidence in this case of any necessity or emergency for Cory having transported Cole in the manner he chose to do it. Tothe extent the motion judge speculated beyond what the evidence in the record before her established as the reason Cory took Cole onthis ride, she did not judicially exercise her discretion under Rule 22 and committed reversible error of law. A finding based on a groundnot pleaded is reviewable on a correctness standard.
She was required to make her determination based on the pleadings and evidence,not on speculation relating to a possible urgency or necessity, none of which was pleaded or argued before her. Had necessity or urgencybeen in play, Cory would have placed his best foot forward by leading evidence of it; and
d) it would have cost nothing to eliminate the risk in this case. Cory should simply not have placed Cole on the motorcycle in thecircumstances. Moreover, he should certainly not have strapped the two of them together. There is nothing “reasonable” about this. [65] Cory’s conduct was therefore negligent. In order for liability to flow from that negligence, I need next toconsider the issues of causation and remoteness of damages.
(3) Causation
[66] This third element to a cause of action in negligence is what counsel for Cory forcefully argued was not presentin this case. His position is that the sole cause of the accident was the negligence of Ms. Phillips. He argues that “but for” her negligence,there would not have been an accident, and Cole would not have been injured. The “but for” test, as will be seen, forms part of theanalysis of this third element. [67] Linden, et al. set out a six-part analysis of causation, some of which have already been referenced above.
Forthe purposes of this case, I would set out the six parts as follows: 1) There is a duty at law to take care: already established above. 2) The defendant is negligent in the sense that he has breached his standard of care: already established above. 3) The plaintiff must suffer some damage: Cole’s injuries are not in dispute. 4) The damage was in fact caused by the negligent conduct (causation-in-fact): this is the sticking point argued by counsel for Cory. 5) The defendant’s conduct must be a proximate cause of the loss (causation-at-law), i.e. the damage should not be too remote a resultof the impugned conduct (this element is discussed in the next segment of these reasons). 6) The plaintiff must not have voluntarily assumed the risk of injury so as to bar recovery: that is not an issue in this case as Cole wasunder the complete control of Cory. [68] I therefore turn to the fourth element: causation-in-fact.
It is, of course, trite law to state that, at a minimum, thedefendant’s conduct must cause some of the plaintiff’s loss; otherwise, there is no liability regardless of how negligent the conduct mayhave been. However, causation-in-fact is not to be confused with proximate cause, often referred to as causation-at-law. That notiondeals with the extent of the defendant’s liability and engages the legal doctrine of remoteness. Again, that is the fifth element notedabove, which I discuss in the next
section of these reasons. [69] The classic test for determining causation-in-fact is the “but for” test established by the Supreme Court inAthey v. Leonati, (SCC), [1996] 3 S.C.R. 458, [1996] S.C.J. No. 102 (QL). It posits that, but for the defendant’s breachof his standard of care, would the plaintiff have suffered some injury? [70] If the harm would have resulted regardless of the defendant’s negligence, the latter cannot be said to be a causeof the loss.
In other words, the defendant’s negligence must have made a difference in order for liability to flow from it. [71] The motion judge disagreed with the position taken by Cole’s counsel that all she needed to find was a causallink to “some” injury in order for the action in negligence against Cory to succeed. She held a causal connection has to be established for“all” injuries alleged (para. 39 of the motion judge’s decision.). With respect, she erred in law on that score. The defendant’s negligencedoes not have to be the “sole” cause of all the harm sustained.
It need only be a cause of “some” of the harm for tort liability to attach(see Athey; Resurfice Corp. v. Hanke, 2007 SCC 7, [2007] 1 S.C.R. 333, at paras. 24-25). [72] It is not uncommon for multiple negligent factors to come together to produce a plaintiff’s loss.
Again, for ourpurposes, the causal inquiry focuses on Cory’s breach of his standard of care as the potential cause of at least some of Cole’s injuries.This is perhaps the appropriate juncture to ask the pointed questions that need to be examined with respect to the connection in factbetween Cory’s conduct and Cole’s injuries: 1) Was Cory alive to the fact riding on a motorcycle is inherently riskier than being an occupant in an automobile for the reasons I
discuss above? The only reasonable answer is yes. 2) Was Cory alive to the fact the sort of accident which occurred here was not a freak accident but one which is all too often commonplace given the known phenomenon of the “invisible motorcycle”?
Applying the reasonable person standard, there can be no question he was well aware of this. 3) Was Cory alive to the fact that placing Cole on a makeshift seat, not properly dressing him, strapping him to his body before taking off and driving at speeds up to 75 kilometres per hour would place Cole at significant risk of injury in light of what he already knew with respect to items 1 and 2 above? Again, the only sensible answer must be yes.
His negligence made a difference . [ 73 ] There is no question that Cory exposed Cole to an unreasonable risk of injury and that the type of injuries he sustained was precisely of the nature the negligence created. This characterization of the test has sometimes been referred to as the material contribution test: Resurfice Corp . However, as McLachlin C.J.C. indicated in Clements v. Clements , 2012 SCC 32 , [2012] 2 S.C.R. 181 , the “material contribution” test does not replace the “but for” test. They are distinct tests.
The “material contribution” test has been the source of some criticism but is typically used as part of a policy-driven rule of law to permit a plaintiff to recover when the “but for” test cannot establish causation-in-fact. In my view, by answering the above three questions in the affirmative, the “but for” test is satisfied with respect to the injuries Cole sustained and that is all that needs to be established to prove Cory’s liability. [ 74 ] In the end, it is sufficient if Cory’s negligence was a cause of the harm.
As Major J. noted in Athey , it has never been necessary for a plaintiff to establish the defendant’s negligence was the sole cause of the injury: […] There will frequently be a myriad of other background events which were necessary preconditions to the injury occurring. […] As long as a defendant is part of the cause of an injury, the defendant is liable, even though his [or her] act alone was not enough to create the injury. […] defendants remain liable for all injuries caused or contributed to by their negligence. […] […] Each defendant remains fully liable to the plaintiff for the injury, since each was a cause of the injury. [Emphasis added; paras. 17 and 22] [ 75 ] If there is to be an apportionment of the damages under provincial negligence statutes, such as the Contributory Negligence Act , R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 131 , that occurs at the damages phase of the trial.
However, apportionment is not a barrier to
summary judgment for liability.
(4) Remoteness or proximate cause [ 76 ] With causation-in-fact now established, the final part of the analysis focuses on a determination of whether Cory is liable for the damages relating to the extent of Cole’s injuries. That will only be so if Cole’s injuries are not too remote a consequence of Cory’s negligence. In my view, they are not. The remoteness stage is the third of the three foreseeability analyses which must be made in a tort action.
I have already dealt with the first two: 1) At the duty stage, foreseeability requires asking what category of people might reasonably be at risk in order for a duty of care to be owed. 2) At the standard of care stage, the question is whether that plaintiff is a foreseeable victim. The third foreseeability analysis can be stated as follows:
3) At the remoteness stage, the question is whether this defendant (Cory) could have foreseen his breach of the standard of care would cause the extent of harm suffered by this plaintiff (Cole).
I now explain why, in my view, this must also be answered in the affirmative. [ 77 ] To state the question differently, is Cory’s negligent conduct sufficiently related to the particular harm sustained by Cole to justify liability for it or is it too far-fetched? [ 78 ] The standard to be applied in answering that question has been established for 60 years: “[…] it is the foresight of the reasonable man which alone can determine responsibility […]” (see Overseas Tankships (UK) Ltd v. Morts Dock & Engineering Co. Ltd. (The Wagon Mound) , [1961] AC 388 , at p. 424) .
This standard has consistently met with approval in Canada, most recently by McLachlin C.J.C. in Mustapha . [ 79 ] The Wagon Mound test was refined in the subsequent decision of the House of Lords in Hughes v. Lord Advocate , [1963] AC 837 . The court explained that a defendant need not foresee the exact way an accident occurs as long as he can anticipate the general type of consequence which might flow from it. What must be foreseeable is not the precise injury that did, in fact, occur but rather injury of a given category or description. “The foreseeability is not as to the particulars but the genus”: Jolley v.
Sutton London Borough Council , [2000] 3 All ER 409 (HL) , at 418 . [ 80 ] In my view, there is nothing far-fetched about the types of injuries Cole sustained in this case. They are precisely of the kind typically seen with victims of motorcycle accidents. Cory’s negligence by placing Cole in the position he was in makes him liable for his injuries. On that basis, Cole was entitled to
summary judgment against Cory for that liability. VI. The Appeal on Costs against the Estate [ 81 ] Although Cole was successful in securing
summary judgment against the Estate for its liability, the motion judge did not award him any costs and instead ordered they be “in the cause.” Cole was granted leave to appeal this refusal of costs. Costs ought to have followed the event: Rule 59.03(2). A successful party is presumptively entitled to costs: Acadia Marble . [ 82 ] Rule 59.08(1)(
b) states that, on deciding a motion for judgment, the judge shall fix costs. While Rule 59.01(2) (
b) provides that nothing in the Rule shall be construed to interfere with a judge’s authority to allow or refuse costs with respect to a particular issue or part of a proceeding, the discretion must be exercised judicially. There should be no interference on appeal unless the refusal, in this case, was manifestly wrong. Cole was entirely successful on his motion for
summary judgment against the Estate. Absent justification or reasons for refusing to award him costs to follow that event, it cannot be said the judge judicially exercised her discretion. Her refusal to award costs is based solely on a vague reference to a “mixed result.” There was nothing mixed about the result against the Estate. It ended the liability litigation against it. The refusal to award costs in those circumstances was an error of law and no deference is owed to the motion judge in accordance with the principles set out in Acadia Marble . VII. Disposition [ 83 ] I would allow the appeal, set aside the motion judge’s decision refusing
summary judgment against Cory Edmondson and award
summary judgment in favour of Cole Edmondson for Cory Edmondson’s liability in negligence. Damages and their apportionment are to be determined at a later time. [ 84 ] I would order two sets of costs of $3,000, each payable by the Estate and Cory to Cole for the motions below. [ 85 ] I would make two further awards of costs on appeal, first in the amount of $2,500 payable by Cory to Cole and second, in the amount of $1,500 payable by the Estate to Cole.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Résumé [1] Les faits de la présente affaire sont relativement simples et ne sont pas contestés. Les questions de droit qui en découlent présentent quant à elles plus de difficultés. Pour les besoins du présent appel, la Cour doit proc é der à l’examen de l’appréciation effectuée par la juge saisie de la motion quant à la responsabilité éventuelle d’un père fondée sur la négligence parentale à l’égard de blessures subies par son fils par suite d’une collision survenue entre une motocyclette et un autre véhicule et, ensuite, déterminer si un jugement
sommaire contre le père aurait dû être inscrit en conséquence de cette responsabilité. [2] La juge a rejeté la motion du fils dans laquelle il sollicitait un jugement
sommaire contre son père. L’autorisation de porter cette décision en appel a été accordée. Pour les motifs énoncés ci-dessous, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel, d’annuler la décision de la juge saisie de la motion, d’inscrire contre le père un jugement
sommaire quant à la
partie de l’action portant sur sa responsabilité et d’adjuger les dépens afférents à la motion et à l’appel. Les dommages-intérêts n’ont pas encore été évalués. [3] La juge saisie de la motion a refusé d’adjuger des dépens contre la succession intimée après avoir accueilli la motion en jugement
sommaire de l’appelant contre la succession. L’autorisation de porter cette décision en appel a été accordée le 12 mai 2021. Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel portant sur les dépens contre la succession, d’annuler la décision de la juge saisie la motion et d’adjuger les dépens en conséquence. II. Contexte factuel [4] Le 30 juin 2010, l’intimé Cory Edmondson a décidé d’aller faire une promenade sur sa motocyclette Harley- Davidson et d’y emmener son fils de cinq ans, l’appelant Cole Edmondson, comme passager arrière. La motocyclette n’était pas conçue pour transporter plus d’une personne (par. 199(1),
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-17). [5] Cory a installé Cole sur une selle improvisée qu’il avait lui-même fabriquée et fixée sur le dessus du garde- boue arrière de la motocyclette. Il a fabriqué la selle en découpant un morceau de Styrofoam qu’il a enveloppé dans du cuir et fixé au garde-boue à l’aide de ventouses. La preuve au dossier établit que cette conception relevait entièrement de lui et qu’il n’avait consulté ni un manuel ni le fabricant. La selle n’était munie d’aucun dossier.
De plus, les pieds de Cole n’atteignaient pas les cale-pieds arrière qui avaient été installés sur la moto. Il n’est pas contesté que cette selle ne convenait pas pour transporter un enfant comme passager.
En outre, elle ne respectait pas les exigences du par. 199(1) . [6] Plutôt que de vêtir Cole de vêtements et d’équipement de protection à sa taille, qui se trouvaient dans leur maison, Cory a décidé de ne pas s’en servir et d’installer Cole sur la motocyclette dans ses vêtements de tous les jours et avec un casque pour adulte, bien trop grand pour lui, malgré le fait qu’il y avait un casque bien ajusté pour Cole à la maison. [7] Puisque les jambes de Cole ne pouvaient atteindre les cale-pieds, ce qui compromettait davantage sa stabilité – en plus des problèmes créés par la selle improvisée –, Cory a attaché Cole à lui-même au moyen d’une ceinture ou d’une courroie, qu’il a enroulée autour d’eux.
[8] Les deux ont ensuite quitté le lotissement où ils habitaient pour se diriger vers la route 102, aussi connue, dans la région de Fredericton, sous le nom de chemin Lincoln.
Lors de l’audi ence , il a été reconnu qu’ils avaient parcouru une courte distance durant une brève période avant que la collision ne survienne près de l’intersection du chemin Lincoln et de la promenade Tamarack. [9] Tandis que la motocyclette circulait vers l’est sur le chemin Lincoln à une vitesse d’environ 75 kilomètres à l’heure, selon le dossier, l’intimée Doreen Phillips roulait vers l’ouest dans sa Pontiac Sunfire et avait l’intention de tourner à gauche sur la promenade Tamarack. Les conditions étaient idéales et rien ne l’empêchait de voir les véhicules circulant en sens inverse.
Elle a effectué son virage à gauche en omettant de céder le passage à la motocyclette de Cory. Le dossier n’indique pas clairement si M me Philips l’a vu s’approcher ou si elle a été victime du phénomène bien connu du [TRADUCTION] « motard invisible », mais il n’est pas contesté qu’il était clairement visible. Le véhicule de M me Philips n’a pas laissé de traces de pneu antérieures à l’impact sur la surface de la route. Lorsqu’un témoin de l’accident lui a demandé à quoi elle avait pensé en effectuant ce virage, M me Philips a répondu qu’elle ne le savait pas.
Elle est décédée ultérieurement de causes non liées à l’accident. Elle n’a pas été blessée lors de l’accident. [10] En voyant la Sunfire entrer dans sa voie de circulation, Cory a actionné les freins avec force, ce qui a fait déraper la motocyclette sur environ 14 mètres, jusqu’à ce que son côté droit percute le côté arrière droit de la Sunfire.
En raison de la force de l’impact, la motocyclette a dévié vers la gauche de Cory pour ensuite se renverser sur le côté droit, ce qui a fait tomber sur la chaussée Cory et Cole, toujours attachés l’un à l’autre, et les a fait glisser sur le sol en direction nord-est. [11] Un troisième véhicule, un VUS de marque Ford Escape, circulait en direction ouest derrière la Sunfire. La conductrice avait immobilisé son véhicule avant que Cory et Cole ne glissent jusque sous l’avant de son véhicule. Ils se sont tous deux immobilisés sous l’Escape, gisant sur leur côté droit.
Cory se trouvait plus près du devant du véhicule et Cole se trouvait derrière lui, ce qui indique que les deux auraient tourn é ensemble après l’impact avec la Sunfire ou pendant qu’ils glissaient sur la chaussée avant de s’immobiliser.
Lorsque les premiers intervenants sont arrivés sur les lieux pour les extirper du dessous de l’Escape, Cory et Cole étaient toujours attachés l’un à l’autre et il a fallu couper la courroie. [12] Alors qu’il se trouvait coincé sous l’Escape, Cole est entré en contact avec des composants très chauds du système d’échappement de celui-ci, et il a subi de très graves brûlures, en plus de fractures et d’autres blessures importantes. [13] La juge saisie de la motion a accueilli la motion de Cole en jugement
sommaire contre la succession de Doreen Phillips pour sa responsabilité fondée sur la négligence et cette décision ne fait pas l’objet du présent appel. Elle a toutefois refusé d’adjuger des dépens contre la succession, et l’autorisation de porter cette décision en appel a été accordée à Cole. [14] La juge a refusé d’accord er la motion complémentaire en jugement
sommaire contre Cory pour sa responsabilité fondée sur la négligence parentale. Elle a affirmé qu’elle n’était pas certaine des circonstances qui avaient poussé Cory à emmener Cole faire cette promenade, présumant que, si c’eût été en raison d’une urgence ou par nécessité, l’appréciation des actions de Cory pourrait être perçue différemment (par. 55 et 56).
C’est pour ce motif qu’elle a estimé que la preuve n’était pas suffisante pour lui permettre de trancher; elle a donc conclu qu’il existait une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. [15] Comme nous le verrons, il n’y a aucune indication au dossier d’une telle situation d’urgence ou de nécessité; la preuve établit uniquement que Cory voulait visiter un ami et a décidé d’emmener Cole avec lui. Le refus d’accorder un jugement
sommaire contre Cory reposait strictement sur des hypothèses de la juge. Les avocats qui ont plaidé devant nous en appel, les mêmes ayant plaidé devant la juge saisie de la motion, ont confirmé qu’aucune discussion ni plaidoirie n’avait eu lieu sur la question de l’urgence ou de la nécessité devant elle. III. Moyens d’appel [16] Cole fait valoir que la juge saisie de la motion a commis des erreurs : A. En énonçant et en évaluant incorrectement la norme de diligence incombant à Cory;
B. En concluant que Cole devait établir le lien de causalité [TRADUCTION] « pour chaque préjudice » afin d’obtenir un jugementsommaire pour responsabilité fondée sur la négligence; C. En omettant de condamner la succession à lui verser des dépens. IV. Normes de contrôle [17] Le premier moyen requiert l’appréciation d’une norme juridique.
Une erreur à l’égard d’une telle conclusionqui résulte d’une « omission de tenir compte d’un élément essentiel d’un critère juridique ou [d’]une autre erreur de principe semblable »est qualifiée d’erreur de droit et est contrôlée suivant la norme de la décision correcte : Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2R.C.S. 235, au par. 36. [18] Le deuxième moyen soulève une pure question de droit susceptible de contrôle selon la norme de la décisioncorrecte. [19] Le troisième moyen se rapporte à l’application de la règle 59.08(1)
b) des Règles de procédure. Il impliquel’application de principes juridiques dans le cadre de l’exercice de la discrétion d’un juge en matière de dépens et il est assujetti à la [20] En plus des deux premiers moyens d’appel soulevés par Cole, la présente affaire offre à la Cour l’occasiond’aborder la question de l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire, laquelle se trouve souvent au cœur de la décision rendue sous le régime dela règle 22 des Règles de procédure. La Cour fait généralement preuve de retenue à l’égard de l’exercice de ce pouvoir discrétionnaire etelle n’intervient que rarement : Babin c. C.J.M.
Dieppe Investments Ltd. et TG 378 Gauvin Ltd. et Sood, 2019 NBCA 44, [2019] A.N.-B.n° 144 (QL). Ce pouvoir discrétionnaire doit toutefois être exercé judiciairement. [21] Dans l’arrêt Goyetche et autres c. International Union of Operating Engineers et autres, 2019 NBCA 16,[2019] A.N.-B. n° 36 (QL), la Cour a conclu que les décisions rendues sous le régime de la règle 22 font l’objet d’un contrôle suivant lanorme applicable à l’issue d’un procès ordinaire : La norme de contrôle applicable à une décision rendue en vertu de la règle 22 est la norme qui s’applique en cas d’appel découlant d’unprocès traditionnel.
Les énoncés de droit sont examinés selon la norme de la décision correcte. Les conclusions de fait et les conclusionsmixtes de fait et de droit sont assujetties à la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. Les décisions discrétionnaires sont soumises à lanorme de l’arrêt Beaverbrook (voir La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 R.N.-B. (2e) 161, au par. 4).
En l’absence d’une erreur de fait, d’une erreur mixte de fait et de droit ou d’une erreur de droit importantes,la décision ne peut être infirmée que lorsque l’issue est déraisonnable. [par. 35] [22] En l’espèce, la juge saisie de la motion a formulé un certain nombre de commentaires de nature généraleconcernant des préoccupations quant à l’opportunité et à la disponibilité des motions fondées sur la règle 22 et elle a relevé plusieursdécisions de la Cour du Banc de la Reine suscitant les mêmes préoccupations (par. 21).
Résultat : certaines motions en jugementsommaire sont sans doute rejetées pour des motifs reposant sur des incompréhensions de certains éléments de la règle. La juge saisie dela motion a mentionné quelques-uns de ces éléments et, par conséquent, je commencerai l’analyse qui s’impose en examinant cesquestions avec l’espoir de dissiper tout malentendu, de sorte que les juges saisis de motions se sentent bien à l’aise de continuer àappliquer la règle rigoureusement, conformément à l’esprit que la Cour suprême a voulu lui donner dans l’arrêt Hryniak c. Mauldin, 2014CSC 7, [2014] 1 R.C.S. 87.
J’examinerai ensuite les questions de fond soulevées dans le présent appel. V. Analyse A. Application de la règle 22
[23] La juge saisie de la motion, à juste titre, ne s’est pas laissé décourager par ce qu’elle considérait être une affairecomplexe comportant [TRADUCTION] « la présence inhabituelle d’allégations de négligence parentale » (par. 5). En effet,l’opportunité d’accorder un jugement
sommaire n’est pas tributaire de la complexité de l’affaire, au sens où les juges saisis de motionsde cette nature n’ont pas à s’attarder à la question de la complexité dans l’analyse en deux étapes que prévoit la règle 22 et qui estexposée dans l’arrêt Russell et autre c.
Northumberland Co-Operative Limited, 2019 NBCA 70, [2019] A.N.-B. n° 285 (QL). [24] Dans l’action sous-jacente pour préjudice à la personne, les intimés ont contesté les motions en jugementsommaire sur la question de la responsabilité, parce qu’ils estimaient que celle-ci était [TRADUCTION] « trop compliquée » pour êtretranchée sans instruction et qu’elle ne pouvait être séparée de la question des dommages-intérêts sans qu’une ordonnance de disjonctionne soit rendue en vertu de la règle 47.03(1) ou sans le consentement des parties suivant la règle 22.04(1)b) (par. 12). [25] La juge saisie de la motion s’est penchée sur ces arguments à
titre préjudiciel. C’est là où elle a souligné quecertains de ses collègues à la Cour du Banc de la Reine avaient eu peine à statuer sur des motions en jugement
sommaire partielcontestées pour lesquelles les parties n’étaient pas toutes d’accord ou dans des affaires mettant en cause de multiples défendeurs. Elles’est demandé quelle était l’utilité de la clause de disjonction, énoncée à la règle 47.03(1), s’il est possible d’accorder un jugementsommaire partiel sans le consentement de toutes les parties. Elle a en outre indiqué que la règle 22.04(1)
a) ne mentionne que le jugementsommaire à l’égard d’une « demande » et non d’une [TRADUCTION] «
partie d’une demande », alors que la règle 22.04(1)
b) mentionnela possibilité de rendre jugement
sommaire sur une «
partie » de la demande lorsque les parties sont d’accord pour procéder de la sorte.Elle a précisé que notre Cour n’avait pas clairement indiqué si une [TRADUCTION] «
partie d’une demande » pouvait faire l’objet d’unjugement
sommaire, puisque notre Cour n’avait jamais été saisie de cette question précise (par. 25). [26] En fait, la Cour s’est bel et bien exprimée sur la possibilité de rendre un jugement
sommaire à l’égard d’une
partie d’une demande ou d’une défense : Cannon c. Lange et al. (1998), (NB CA), 203 R.N.-B. (2e) 121, [1998]A.N.-B. n° 313 (QL) (C.A.), au par. 10. De plus, le juge Drapeau, au nom de la Cour, a clairement affirmé que la règle autorisait[TRADUCTION] « la cour à trancher une question de droit et à rendre son jugement en conséquence » (par. 11). Statuer sur laresponsabilité pour négligence incombant à Cory en l’espèce est une question de droit à l’égard de laquelle un jugement
sommaire peutêtre rendu. [27] Avec l’arrivée de la version remaniée de la règle 22 en 2017, faisant suite à l’arrêt Hryniak, de la Coursuprême, la décision de la Cour dans l’arrêt Lange a pris encore plus d’importance. Comme l’a souligné le juge en chef Drapeau, tel étaitalors son titre, dans l’arrêt O’Toole c.
Peterson, 2018 NBCA 8, [2018] A.N.-B. n° 58 (QL), l’objectif de la nouvelle règle est de parvenirà « un règlement expéditif lorsqu’aucune question litigieuse afférente à une demande ou une défense n’exige la tenue d’un procès »(soulignement ajouté; par. 5). [28] La juge saisie de la motion a établi une distinction avec la décision de la Cour dans Trider c. Galloway, 2020NBCA 64, [2020] A.N.-B. n° 225 (QL), où la Cour a conclu que la question de la responsabilité pouvait être établie
sommairement defaçon distincte de celle des dommages-intérêts au motif qu’elle s’inscrivait dans le contexte d’une admission de responsabilité, et nond’une absence de consentement (par. 22). Elle a noté la décision du juge Ferguson dans Doucet c. Leblanc & Steeves et al, 2020 NBQB254 2020 NBBR 254, [2020] A.N.-B. n° 329 (QL), qui rejette une motion en jugement
sommaire dans une affaire comportantde multiples défendeurs, citant l’arrêt Babin, dans lequel le juge en chef Richard, rédigeant au nom de la Cour, a souligné le problèmeunique qui se pose lorsqu’un seul défendeur sollicite un jugement
sommaire dans une action mettant en cause de multiples défendeurs :comme la Cour suprême le fait remarquer dans l’arrêt Hryniak, cela présente le risque d’entraîner des procédures répétitives ou de menerà des conclusions de fait contradictoires, si une
partie de l’action va de toute façon être instruite (par. 24 et 25). [29] Selon moi, comme c’était le cas dans l’arrêt Babin, ce risque ne représente pas un obstacle en l’espèce, puisquele demandeur, Cole, sollicite un jugement
sommaire sur la responsabilité pour négligence contre les deux parties défenderesses, maisfonde ses demandes sur deux causes d’action distinctes qui reposent sur des faits distincts. Il n’y avait aucune possibilité d’arriver à desconclusions de fait contradictoires en l’espèce pour ce qui est des causes d’action distinctes invoquées contre les deux partiesdéfenderesses. [30] Dans l’arrêt Babin, le juge en chef Richard renvoie à la décision de la juge Pepall, de la Cour d’appel del’Ontario, dans Butera c. Chown, Cairns LLP, 2017 ONCA 783, [2017] O.J. No. 5267 (QL), où la juge énonce un certain nombre defacteurs dont il faut tenir compte pour déterminer s’il convient de rendre un jugement
sommaire partiel. Le juge en chef Richard les aénumérés sous forme de questions à être examinées par les juges : […]
1) En l’espèce, la question en litige pour laquelle un jugement est demandé peut-elle être séparée facilement du reste de l’affaire? 2) Y a-t-il un risque de tirer au procès des conclusions répétitives ou contradictoires, notamment dans le cas où le dossier d’instruction peut être différent du dossier afférent à la motion? 3) Serait-il recommandé de rendre un jugement
sommaire partiel dans le contexte de l’ensemble de l’action? 4) La motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire aurait-elle pour effet de retarder l’audition de l’action principale, compte tenu de la possibilité d’appel? 5) Les coûts afférents à la motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire sont-ils justifiables? 6) Le temps nécessaire passé en cour pour trancher une question qui ne réglera pas l’ensemble de l’action vaut-il la peine? [par. 40] [31] Le juge en chef a ensuite exposé le critère énoncé par la juge Pe p all : [TRADUCTION] […] Lorsqu’il dépose une motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire partiel, l’auteur de la motion devrait tenir compte de ces facteurs afin de déterminer si la motion est souhaitable dans le contexte de l’ensemble de l’action. Une motion visant l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire partiel devrait être considérée comme une procédure rare, qui est réservée aux cas où une question ou plusieurs questions en litige peuvent être séparées facilement de celles de l’action principale et tranchées de manière expéditive et économique. Une telle démarche concorde avec les objectifs énoncés par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Hryniak et avec la directive selon laquelle les Règles doivent être interprétées de manière souple afin d’obtenir le règlement le plus juste, expéditif et économique de toute action civile au fond. [Par. 34] [Soulignement dans l’original; par. 41] Il a ensuite confirmé le rejet, par le juge saisi de la motion en jugement
sommaire, de l’action contre un seul des défendeurs, et ce même si plusieurs des facteurs énumérés ci-dessus étaient susceptibles de jouer contre l’octroi du jugement
sommaire partiel contre l’autre. En définitive, tous les facteurs ont été traités dans le cadre de l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge et, dans la mesure où la décision était bien fondée en droit et qu’il n’y avait aucune possibilité qu’une décision contradictoire soit ultérieurement rendue à l’instruction, il n’était d’aucune utilité de remettre en question le pouvoir discrétionnaire du juge. [32] La juge saisie de la motion dans l’instance inférieure, tout en retenant la conclusion tirée dans l’arrêt Babin , fait remarquer que cette affaire ne permet pas de résoudre l’affaire dont elle est saisie, où un jugement
sommaire est sollicité pour une
partie seulement de la demande sans que les parties y consentent, pas plus qu’elle ne permet de résoudre une affaire où une réparation peut être demandée contre les deux défendeurs, mais accordée seulement contre l’un d’entre eux (par. 25). [33] En fin de compte , elle fait siens les principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Hryniak selon lesquels les tribunaux doivent faire preuve [TRADUCTION] « d’ouverture et d’audace » et choisit à bon droit de procéder afin de déterminer si, au vu des circonstances de l’espèce, il convient de rendre un jugement
sommaire partiel (par. 26). [34] J’examinerai à présent les questions d’ordre procédural soulevées par la juge saisie de la motion concernant les règles 22 et 47.03(1). [35] La règle 22.01 dispose que, lorsque le défendeur a signifié l’exposé de sa défense, le demandeur peut solliciter un jugement
sommaire « sur tout ou
partie de la demande » (soulignement ajouté). Aux paragraphes 19 à 26 de sa décision, la juge saisie de la motion écrit que, en application de la règle 22.01, elle ne peut pas rendre de jugement
sommaire sur une [TRADUCTION] «
partie
d’une demande » sans le consentement de toutes les parties ou une ordonnance de disjonction rendue en vertu de la règle 47.03(1). La règle 22.01 ne mentionne pas cette obligation de consentement comme condition préalable à l’obtention d’un jugement
sommaire partiel. Dans l’arrêt Dupuis c. City of Moncton , 2005 NBCA 47 , 284 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 97 , la Cour a jugé qu’une motion pouvait être introduite sur toute question, sans aucune mention d’une quelconque condition préalable de consentement. Voir aussi les arrêts Lange et O’Toole. [36] Au paragraphe 20 de sa décision, la juge examine la question de l’application de la règle 22 sans recours à la disjonction prévue à la règle 47.03(1). Elle s’interroge sur l’utilité de la règle 47.03(1) s’il est possible pour une
partie d’obtenir un jugement
sommaire sur une
partie d’une demande sans avoir recours à la disjonction. Sa prémisse est incorrecte. [37] Dans l’arrêt Walsh c. Nicholls et CGU, Compagnie d’Assurance du Canada , 2004 NBCA 59 , 273 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 203 , la Cour a ordonné la disjonction afin de permettre qu’une question préliminaire soit tranchée avant l’ensemble des autres questions soulevées dans l’action (par. 89). Il s’agit là de l’objectif habituel de la disjonction, tout en veillant à respecter les règles fondamentales selon lesquelles un procès doit être économique et expéditif. [38] Dans l’arrêt Shanks c.
Shay et autres , 2015 NBCA 2 , 429 R.N. - B. (2 e ) 290 , la juge Larlee passe en revue la jurisprudence pour conclure que les juges du Nouveau-Brunswick doivent appliquer le « critère de l’ordonnance juste et opportune » pour décider s’il convient d’ordonner la disjonction. Encore une fois, cette cause s’inscrivait dans le contexte d’un procès en bonne et due forme portant sur la question préjudicielle devant être tranchée.
La juge Larlee observe en outre, dans l’arrêt Shanks , que, du point de vue de l’accès à la justice, il vaut toujours mieux interpréter les Règles « dans le but de favoriser le règlement des questions en litige de la façon la plus efficace, la plus rapide et la moins onéreuse possible » (par. 22).
Les juges doivent se pencher sur les critères pertinents à l’égard de la cause dont ils sont saisis en décidant, au bout du compte , s’il est juste et opportun d’ordonner la disjonction en vertu de la règle 47.03(1). [39] Cependant, rien dans la règle 22 n’exige l’application du processus de disjonction prévu à la règle 47.03(1) pour traiter une demande de jugement
sommaire fondée sur la règle 22 et portant sur une
partie d’une demande. Le processus de disjonction présuppose l’existence d’une question exigeant la tenue d’une instruction complète, tandis que la règle 22 existe pour permettre de rendre jugement
sommaire en l’absence d’une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. Bien que les deux règles soient conçues pour traiter une
partie d’une demande, elles le font dans des contextes fort différents : la règle 22 est conçue pour que jugement soit rendu à l’égard d’une demande sans qu’il ne soit nécessaire de tenir un procès, tandis que la règle 47.03(1) est conçue pour permettre d’extraire d’une cause une question préjudicielle pour l’instruire en bonne et due forme, sans doute parce que cette question ne peut être tranchée par voie
sommaire sous le régime de la règle 22. Cependant, si la question peut être tranchée de façon
sommaire après que la règle 47.03 a été appliquée, il n’y a rien dans cette règle qui empêche de recourir à la règle 22. [40] Il est évident que la règle 22.01 donne au demandeur ou au défendeur le droit de solliciter un jugement
sommaire sur tout ou
partie de la demande formulée dans l’exposé de la demande . Avec égards, la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur en laissant entendre que la disjonction prévue à la règle 47.03(1) n’est d’aucune utilité si une
partie a la possibilité de solliciter un jugement
sommaire lorsque les autres parties ne sont pas d’accord. [41] Elle poursuit en mentionnant qu’elle trouve [TRADUCTION] « particulier » le fait que la règle 22.04(1)
a) ne mentionne que la possibilité de rendre un jugement
sommaire sur une « demande ou une défense », alors que la règle 22.04(1)
b) mentionne la possibilité de rendre jugement
sommaire sur une «
partie de la demande » lorsque « les parties sont d’accord ». Je suis d’avis que ces dispositions doivent être interprétées dans leur contexte. Elles constituent les [TRADUCTION] « dispositions générales » quant à la façon dont un juge doit statuer sur une motion. Aux termes de la règle 22.04(1)a), la cour rend un jugement
sommaire lorsqu’elle constate qu’une demande ou une défense ne soulève pas de véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. La formulation « véritable question en litige » se rapporte à n’importe quelle demande ou défense soulevée et contenue dans l’exposé de la demande ou l’exposé de la défense. La règle 22.04(1)
b) dispose que la cour rend un jugement
sommaire lorsqu’elle constate que les parties sont d’accord pour que tout ou
partie de la demande soit tranché de la sorte. Par conséquent, la règle 22.04(1)
a) traite des affaires où les parties ne sont pas d’accord pour qu’ une question soit tranchée par voie de jugement
sommaire, puisqu’il s’agit de la seule interprétation qui donne un sens à la règle 22.01 : Babin , au par. 33 . D’un autre côté, la règle 22.04(1)
b) régit les situations où les parties sont d’accord. Dans un cas comme dans l’autre, le juge devra exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire judiciairement pour déterminer s’il convient de rendre un jugement
sommaire. Tout cela concorde avec les principes qui se dégagent des arrêts Lange et O’Toole , comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment. [42] Même si les jugements
sommaires partiels présentent le risque que soient tirées des conclusions de fait répétitives et contradictoires, ils ne sont pas interdits pour cette raison, ce que l’arrêt Hryniak appuie assurément. Ce sont des facteurs dont le juge doit tenir compte dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire et pour déterminer s’il est dans « l’intérêt de la justice » d’exercer les pouvoirs que lui confère la règle 22.04(2), ou si un procès devrait avoir lieu.
[43] En définitive, la juge saisie de la motion reconnaît qu’il est possible de rendre un jugement
sommaire pour unepartie d’une demande sans que toutes les parties y consentent, et j’estime que cette conclusion est juste. Au paragraphe 25, elle exprimeune inquiétude quant au fait que l’arrêt Babin ne répond pas précisément à la question dont elle est saisie, à savoir que la réparationpourrait être demandée contre les deux parties défenderesses, mais n’être accordée que contre l’une d’elles. Cette inquiétude est dissipéepar la règle 22.07 : un jugement
sommaire obtenu en vertu de la règle 22 n’empêche pas le demandeur de poursuivre un autre défendeurpour obtenir contre lui des mesures de redressement identiques ou différentes. Il ne s’agit pas d’une question litigieuse dans le présentappel. B. Questions de fond en appel [44] Les deux moyens d’appel contre Cory sont intimement liés et je les examinerai donc conjointement dans monanalyse.
La responsabilité juridique pour négligence de Cory repose sur une évaluation des principes de droit de la responsabilitédélictuelle applicables à la négligence parentale, lesquels sont exposés aux rubriques suivantes : 1) le devoir de diligence; 2) la norme de diligence; 3) la causalité; 4) l’éloignement du préjudice ou la cause proche. 1) Le devoir de diligence [45] Les propos de la Cour suprême tenus dans l’arrêt Arnold c. Teno, (SCC), [1978] 2 R.C.S. 287,souvent