2021 NBCA 54, 2021 NBCA 54
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 42-21-CA BRANDT TRACTOR LTD., a body corporate APPELLANT BRANDT TRACTOR LTD., corps constitué APPELANTE - and - - et - ROBERT KITCHEN RESPONDENT ROBERT KITCHEN INTIMÉ Brandt Tractor Ltd., a body corporate v. Kitchen, 2021 NBCA 54 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LaVigne Brandt Tractor Ltd., corps constitué c.
Kitchen, 2021 NBCA 54 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: March 18, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 mars 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 64 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 64 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: September 23, 2021 Appel entendu : le 23 septembre 2021 Judgment rendered: December 2, 2021 Jugement rendu : le 2 décembre 2021
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Clarence Lee Bennett For the respondent: Leah M. Good Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LaVigne Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Clarence Lee Bennett Pour l’intimé : Leah M. Good THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench granted
summary judgment against Brandt Tractor Ltd. (Brandt) in a wrongful dismissal action and found the appropriate period of reasonable notice for termination without cause of its former employee, Robert Kitchen, was 10 months. Brandt is appealing the decision on the grounds that the judge erred in his application of the test for settlement privilege and improperly struck a letter from Brandt’s counsel dated June 2017 (the “June 2017 letter”). This letter contained an offer to extend Mr. Kitchen’s working notice period by 11 months. Brandt submits that, had this letter been admitted, the court would have found Mr.
Kitchen’s rejection of its offer to be an unreasonable failure to mitigate by Mr. Kitchen and would have reduced the notice period. [ 2 ] In my view, the judge was correct in his application of the test for settlement privilege. There is no error in his determination that the facts indicate the June 2017 letter, in both content and context, formed part of settlement discussions, which are protected by settlement privilege. Therefore, the appeal should be dismissed. II. Background
[ 3 ] On July 2, 2013, Brandt purchased the assets of Wallace Equipment Ltd. (Wallace). Mr. Kitchen had been employed by Wallace for eight years. Two weeks before the sale, Brandt offered employment to Mr. Kitchen, and he accepted. Nearly four years later, by letter dated April 6, 2017, Brandt terminated his employment, without cause, and provided him with four-weeks’ working notice. He worked in total 11 years and eight months for both corporate entities. While Mr. Kitchen was working his notice, Brandt offered to extend the notice period by eight weeks.
He rejected this offer and completed his four-weeks’ working notice. He then engaged the services of a lawyer who, in an attempt to settle the issue of damages for her client’s dismissal, forwarded “without prejudice” correspondence to Brandt. Although this correspondence was not part of the record before him, the motion judge found it was dated May 30, 2017 and marked “without prejudice” (para. 15). A letter dated June 28, 2017, was sent from Brandt’s Chief Legal Officer to Mr. Kitchen’s counsel. It rejected Mr. Kitchen’s offer to settle and offered him an additional 11 months’ working notice. Mr.
Kitchen rejected this offer, and Brandt alleges that, by doing so, he wholly failed to mitigate his losses. The motion judge struck the June 2017 letter from the record on the basis that it was subject to settlement privilege, and dismissed the motion for
summary judgment Brandt had brought on the ground there was no merit to Mr. Kitchen’s action for wrongful dismissal. The motion judge granted
summary judgment to Mr. Kitchen and ordered that his damages be based on a period of reasonable notice of 10 months, consisting of 12 months reduced by the eight-week extension of the notice he had refused. Brandt appeals this decision. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 4 ] Brandt submits the issues to be determined are:
a) should the decision striking the June 2017 l etter be reversed? and
b) should the decision be varied to reduce the notice period to reflect the fact that Mr. Kitchen wholly failed to mitigate his damages by refusing to return to work for an additional 11 months? IV. Standard of Review [ 5 ] Whether a communication is subject to settlement privilege and therefore inadmissible in court is a question of mixed fact and law. Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , referred to questions of mixed fact and law as “applying a legal standard to a set of facts” (para. 26).
The majority later describes the standard of review for these issues: […] In our view, it is settled law that the determination of whether or not the standard of care was met by the defendant involves the application of a legal standard to a set of facts, a question of mixed fact and law .
This question is subject to a standard of palpable and overriding error unless it is clear that the trial judge made some extricable error in principle with respect to the characterization of the standard or its application, in which case the error may amount to an error of law. [Emphasis added; para. 37] [ 6 ] In this case, the motion judge made a decision respecting the applicability of settlement privilege to the June 2017 l etter. He also made determinations with respect to reasonable notice periods and any reductions applicable due to any failure on Mr.
Kitchen’s part to mitigate his losses. [ 7 ] The test for settlement privilege is a legal test, and the application of the test to the facts of the case is subject to the standard of review of palpable and overriding error that applies to questions of mixed fact and law. V. Analysis [ 8 ] In Sable Offshore Energy Inc v. Ameron International Corp. , 2013 SCC 37 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 623, the Supreme Court wrote: The purpose of settlement privilege is to promote settlement.
The privilege wraps a protective veil around the efforts parties make to settle their disputes by ensuring that communications made in the course of these negotiations are inadmissible. [para. 2]
[ 9 ] There is a prima facie presumption of inadmissibility of evidence that meets the criteria for privilege, and exceptions are found only “when the justice of the case requires it” ( Sable , at para. 12). [ 10 ] The parties agree the tripartite test for settlement privilege applied by the motion judge, as found in Sidney N. Lederman, Alan W. Bryant and Michelle K. Fuerst, Sopinka, Lederman and Bryant: The Law of Evidence in Canada , 5th ed. (Markham, Ontario: LexisNexis, 2018), is the appropriate test. This test identifies three conditions for a document to attract settlement privilege: 1.
A litigious dispute must be in existence or within contemplation; 2. The communication must be made with the express or implied intention it would not be disclosed to the court in the event negotiations failed; and 3. The purpose of the communication must be to attempt to effect a settlement.
All three conditions must be met to establish settlement privilege. [ 11 ] Brandt advances two reasons in support of its submission the motion judge erred in finding the June 2017 letter was protected by settlement privilege: 1) the communication was not made with the express or implied intention that it would not be disclosed to the court in the event negotiations failed; and 2) the purpose of the communication was not an attempt to effect a settlement. Mr. Kitchen proffers the June 2017 letter meets the three conditions for the recognition of settlement privilege.
(1) A litigious dispute must be in existence or within contemplation [ 12 ] The first prong of the test is clearly met in that a litigious dispute was in existence or within contemplation at the time Brandt’s corporate counsel wrote the June 2017 letter. Therefore, I will move on to parts two and three of the test.
(2) The communication must be made with the express or implied intention that it would not be disclosed to the court in the event negotiations failed [ 13 ] In Slipp v. Woodstock First Nation Economic Development Corporation , 2020 NBQB 20 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 36 (QL) , a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench found a letter from a plaintiff to the defendant to be protected by settlement privilege: As to the plaintiff’s letter on October 30, 2018 to the defendant, I am of the view that it is caught by settlement privilege.
The very wording of the letter reflects an intent to settle, or at least a “hint of negotiation” as per paragraph 24 of Bellatrix , supra . The letter specifically references the word settlement and it was sent by the plaintiff to, not only the defendant, but also their legal counsel. In the result, I will strike any reference to the plaintiff’s letter. Again, I wish to reiterate that I do not believe anything turns on this issue. [para. 9] [ 14 ] The motion judge determined the June 2017 letter deliberately made reference to the letter sent by Mr. Kitchen’s counsel and directly engaged with it in response.
Again, as the motion judge indicated, the letter from Mr. Kitchen’s counsel contained a settlement offer and was labelled as being “without prejudice.” There is no dispute that settlement privilege applied to this letter. [ 15 ] This is important to the assessment of Brandt’s response. As both parties stated in their written submissions, there is a contextual element to determining whether settlement privilege will extend to the entire correspondence rather than individual documents. This context is critical and must be considered when there are disputes pertaining to the admissibility of correspondence.
Brandt stated in its written submission that “neither the Plaintiff nor the Motion Judge can assume Brandt intended the letter to be
confidential, without some evidence to support this conclusion.” Although the June 2017 letter did not specifically use the word “settlement,” I do not agree the motion judge erred in finding an intention not to disclose the June 2017 letter to the court in the event negotiations failed. This is based on the following facts: the letter was a direct response to Mr. Kitchen’s settlement offer; the correspondence was between counsel; and the offer of 11 months’ additional working notice could be construed as a counteroffer.
Brandt had previously offered to extend the working notice period and did so again after receiving Mr. Kitchen’s settlement offer. The June 2017 letter does not reflect a final position or a “take it or leave it” offer. There was a hint of compromise as the letter stated that, if Mr. Kitchen had concerns about returning to the workplace, he could let Brandt know what those concerns were. In my view, the possibility for further discussion in this context also permitted the judge to infer a willingness to negotiate on the part of Brandt. [ 16 ] In Renzone v. Onyx Homes Inc , 2020 ONSC 7722 , [2020] O.J.
No. 5481 (QL) , a case dealing with constructive dismissal, the master considered the context of an impugned letter to be important in determining there was an intention that the correspondence be privileged. The plaintiff sought to have portions of the statement of defence struck because they referred to settlement discussions and related communications. The master found that the parties had been engaged in “at least some settlement communications” because the letter was in response to a settlement proposal from the plaintiff (para. 19).
This case is persuasive; however, the June 2017 letter can be distinguished in part from that in Renzone , which, unlike the June 2017 letter, was headed “without prejudice.” In my view, the decision does not turn on this distinction because the words “without prejudice” are not determinative of the parties’ intentions ( Sable , at para. 14).
Additionally, in Renzone , the master determined the letter was not written in a vacuum and was in response to a settlement letter sent by the plaintiff’s lawyer. [ 17 ] Brandt’s intention to have the June 2017 letter be privileged can be inferred from the content of the letter. Not only was it a reply to a “without prejudice” settlement offer, the contents of that offer were partially disclosed. While it did not repeat the amount of Mr. Kitchen’s offer, Brandt said it was unable to pay a lump sum. It then offered to extend the period of Mr. Kitchen’s working notice by 11 months.
This could be easily interpreted as a counteroffer. If Brandt did not intend for the June 2017 letter to be treated as privileged, it should not have included confidential details. Further, the June 2017 letter was not written in a vacuum. It was a direct response to Mr. Kitchen’s settlement proposal. There was an implied expectation that the parties would continue to communicate under the protection of settlement privilege.
All of this provided a basis for the motion judge’s finding that the June 2017 letter was impliedly intended to be protected from disclosure to the court and therefore met the second prong of the test.
(3) The purpose of the June 2017 letter was to attempt to effect a settlement [ 18 ] Brandt relies on Slipp and Bellatrix Exploration Ltd. v. Penn West Petroleum Ltd , 2013 ABCA 10 , [2013] A.J. No. 10 (QL) , to advance its position that the June 2017 letter was merely a statement of position, and it had no intention of compromising or negotiating with Mr. Kitchen. Brandt also submits that the inclusion of a choice in correspondence does not make the correspondence a settlement negotiation.
In Slipp , a termination letter with a conditional severance offer was not subject to settlement privilege because it was a statement of the employer’s position and not part of settlement negotiations.
This case referred to Bellatrix , in which the Court of Appeal of Alberta stated an unconditional assertion of rights without connection to the possibility of settlement or negotiation does not fall within the scope of settlement privilege (para. 24). [ 19 ] Brandt states the June 2017 letter is akin to the termination letter in Slipp because Brandt was asserting its rights by offering the additional 11 months’ working notice. In my view, the termination letter in Slipp is distinguishable from the June 2017 letter for the following reasons: 1.
The June 2017 letter was in response to a privileged settlement offer as opposed to a stand-alone termination letter; 2. The communication was between both parties’ counsel rather than between employer and employee as in Slipp ; 3. The communication in Slipp was not in response to any settlement offers made by the plaintiff; and 4. In this case, Mr. Kitchen’s termination predates the June 2017 letter. [ 20 ] The June 2017 letter is more comparable to the second letter in Slipp , which did attract settlement privilege.
It was struck because it referenced the word “settlement” and was sent to the defendant and its counsel. While the June 2017 letter did not contain the word “settlement,” it did contain “at least a hint of potential compromise or negotiation,” as required in order to be covered by settlement privilege ( Bellatrix , at para. 24). It did so by referencing the settlement offer to which it was responding as well as the
contents of that offer. I find Slipp more compelling to support Mr. Kitchen’s position that the purpose of the communication in the present case was to attempt to effect a settlement. [ 21 ] In its written submission, Brandt refers to Haack v. Secure Energy (Drilling Services) Inc. , 2021 ABQB 82 , [2021] A.J. No. 192 (QL) , where the letter in question provided the plaintiff with the choice between:
a) resigning and receiving a severance package; or
b) being dismissed for cause. This letter was not subject to settlement privilege because it presented an ultimatum, the purpose of which was to pressure the employee to resign. [ 22 ] Brandt contends it did the same thing by offering Mr. Kitchen the opportunity to return to work for 11 months. These situations are not analogous. In this case, it is the context in which the choice – to return for 11 months or not – was offered that attracts settlement privilege. Brandt’s offer was in response to a settlement offer and it indicated the discussion could continue if Mr.
Kitchen had concerns. [ 23 ] In Haack , there was no indication that the employer was willing to offer anything other than the two options proposed in the letter. The offer stood alone as a “take it or leave it” proposition, with no hint of compromise or negotiation. It concerned an employee who had his position of employment threatened, with pressure to be dismissed for cause if he did not accept the proffered package. [ 24 ] There is no error in the motion judge’s determination that the purpose of the June 2017 letter was to achieve a settlement of Mr. Kitchen’s action.
If Brandt had truly intended otherwise, it should not have referred to the contents of the privileged settlement offer made by Mr. Kitchen. Additionally, it could have responded to the settlement offer in one letter and set out its position in another, which was clearly made with prejudice. The fact that the June 2017 letter contained an offer immediately after the rejection of the settlement offer makes it appear as a counteroffer. A counteroffer following a settlement offer can be interpreted as an attempt by both parties to settle.
In this matter, the justice of the case does not require recognizing an exception to the inadmissibility of settlement communications that would outweigh the public policy interest in promoting resolution of disputes by negotiated settlements (see Sable , at para. 12; Meyers v. Dunphy , 2007 NLCA 1 , [2007] N.J. No. 5 (QL) , at para. 52 ). VI. Conclusion [ 25 ] The three criteria for the recognition of settlement privilege were met in this case, and the motion judge made no errors in striking the June 2017 letter.
There is no extricable question of law upon which the motion judge committed reversible error, and there is no palpable or overriding error made by the motion judge. [ 26 ] I would uphold the decision of the motion judge. The decision to strike the June 2017 letter should not be reversed, nor should the decision be varied to reduce the damages awarded to Mr. Kitchen in lieu of the notice period. VII. Disposition [ 27 ] I would dismiss the appeal with costs in the amount of $3,500 payable by Brandt to Mr. Kitchen. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction
[1] Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rendu un jugement
sommaire à l’encontre de Brandt Tractor Ltd. (Brandt) dans une action pour congédiement abusif et a conclu que la durée appropriée du préavis raisonnable pour le congédiement non motivé de son ancien employé, Robert Kitchen, était de dix mois. Brandt interjette appel de cette décision pour le motif que le juge aurait commis une erreur dans son application du critère dit du privilège relatif aux règlements et a, à tort, radié une lettre de l’avocat de Brandt datée de juin 2017 (la lettre de juin 2017). La lettre en question contenait une offre de prolongation du préavis de cessation d’emploi de M.
Kitchen d’une période additionnelle de onze mois. Brandt prétend que, si cette lettre avait été admise, la Cour aurait conclu que le rejet de son offre par M. Kitchen constituait une omission déraisonnable de la part de ce dernier de limiter ses dommages et aurait réduit la durée du préavis. [2] J’estime que le juge a correctement appliqué le critère du privilège relatif aux règlements. Il n’a commis aucune erreur dans sa décision portant que les faits montrent que la lettre de juin 2017, tant sur le plan de sa teneur que de son contexte, faisait
partie de certaines discussions en vue d’un règlement, lesquelles sont protégées par le privilège relatif aux règlements. L’appel doit, par conséquent, être rejeté. II. Le contexte [3] Le 2 juillet 2013, Brandt a fait l’acquisition des éléments d’actif de Wallace Equipment Ltd. (Wallace). M. Kitchen était employé par Wallace depuis huit ans. Deux semaines avant la vente, Brandt a offert un emploi à M. Kitchen, offre que ce dernier a acceptée. Presque quatre ans plus tard, dans une lettre datée du 6 avril 2017, Brandt a mis fin à l’emploi de M.
Kitchen, sans motif valable, et lui a donné un préavis de cessation d’emploi de quatre semaines. Il a travaillé, au total, pendant onze ans et huit mois pour les deux sociétés. Pendant que M. Kitchen travaillait toujours, durant la période de préavis, Brandt lui a offert de prolonger le préavis de huit semaines . M. Kitchen a rejeté cette offre et a travaillé jusqu’à la fin du préavis de cessation d’emploi de quatre semaines.
Il a ensuite retenu les services d’une avocate qui, dans une tentative visant à régler la question des dommages-intérêts relatifs au congédiement de son client, a fait parvenir à Brandt une lettre portant la mention [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves ». Bien que cette lettre n’ait pas fait
partie du dossier déposé devant lui, le juge saisi de la motion a constaté qu’elle était datée du 30 mai 2017 et portait la mention [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves » (par. 15). Le chef du contentieux de Brandt a fait parvenir à l’avocate de M. Kitchen une lettre datée du 28 juin 2017. Il y rejetait l’offre de règlement de M. Kitchen et offrait à ce dernier un préavis de cessation d’emploi additionnel de onze mois, pendant lesquels M. Kitchen travaillerait. M. Kitchen a rejeté cette offre et Brandt prétend que, ce faisant, il a complètement négligé de limiter ses dommages.
Le juge saisi de la motion a radié la lettre de juin 2017 du dossier pour le motif qu’elle faisait l’objet du privilège relatif aux règlements et il a rejeté la motion en jugement
sommaire que Brandt avait déposée pour le motif que l’action de M. Kitchen pour congédiement abusif était sans fondement. Le juge saisi de la motion a rendu un jugement
sommaire en faveur de M. Kitchen et a ordonné que les dommages-intérêts auxquels il avait droit soient établis en fonction d’une période de préavis raisonnable de dix mois, soit douze mois dont il a soustrait la prolongation du préavis de huit semaines que M. Kitchen avait refusée. Brandt interjette appel de cette décision. III. Les moyens d’appel [4] Brandt prétend que les questions à trancher sont les suivantes :
a) la décision portant radiation de la lettre de juin 2017 devrait-elle être infirmée?
b) la décision devrait-elle être modifiée afin de réduire la durée du préavis pour qu’il soit tenu compte du fait que M. Kitchen a complètement omis de limiter ses dommages en refusant de revenir travailler pendant une période additionnelle de onze mois? IV. La norme de contrôle [5] La question de savoir si une communication fait l’objet du privilège relatif aux règlements et est donc inadmissible devant un tribunal est une question mixte de fait et de droit. Dans l’arrêt Housen c.
Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , on peut lire que les questions mixtes de fait et de droit « supposent l’application d’une norme juridique à un ensemble de faits » (par. 26). La majorité a ensuite ainsi décrit la norme de contrôle applicable à ces questions : […] À notre avis, il est bien établi en droit que la question de savoir si le défendeur a respecté la norme de diligence suppose l’application d’une norme juridique à un ensemble de faits, ce qui en fait une question mixte de fait et de droit . Cette question est
assujettie à la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante, à moins que le juge de première instance n’ait clairement commis une erreur de principe isolable en déterminant la norme applicable ou en appliquant cette norme, auquel cas l’erreur peut constituer une erreur de droit. [C’est moi qui souligne; par. 37] [6] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a pris une décision concernant l’applicabilité du privilège relatif aux règlements à la lettre de juin 2017.
Il a également pris des décisions en ce qui concerne les périodes de préavis raisonnables et les réductions applicables en raison d’un quelconque défaut de la part de M. Kitchen de limiter ses pertes. [7] Le critère qui régit le privilège relatif aux règlements est un critère juridique et l’application du critère aux faits de l’instance est assujettie à la norme de contrôle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante qui s’applique aux questions mixtes de fait et de droit. V. Analyse [8] Dans l’arrêt Sable Offshore Energy Inc. c.
Ameron International Corp. , 2013 CSC 37 , [2013] 2 R.C.S. 623, la Cour suprême a écrit ceci : Le privilège relatif aux règlements vise à favoriser les règlements amiables.
Ce privilège entoure d’un voile protecteur les démarches prises par les parties pour résoudre leurs différends en assurant l’irrecevabilité des communications échangées lors de ces négociations. [par. 2] [9] Il existe une présomption prima facie d’inadmissibilité de la preuve qui répond aux conditions du privilège, et cette présomption ne souffre d’exceptions que lorsque [TRADUCTION] « les considérations de justice que pose l’espèce le requièrent » ( Sable , au par. 12). [10] Les parties s’entendent pour reconnaître que le critère à trois volets auquel il faut satisfaire pour établir le privilège relatif aux règlements que le juge saisi de la motion a appliqué, tel qu’il a été formulé dans l’ouvrage de Sidney N.
Lederman, Alan W. Bryant et Michelle K. Fuerst intitulé Sopinka, Lederman and Bryant: The Law of Evidence in Canada , 5 e éd. (Markham (Ontario) : LexisNexis, 2018), est le bon critère. Le critère en question comporte trois conditions qui doivent être établies pour qu’un document bénéficie du privilège relatif aux règlements : [TRADUCTION] 1. un litige doit exister ou doit être envisagé; 2. la communication doit être faite dans l’intention explicite ou implicite qu’elle ne sera pas divulguée au tribunal si les négociations échouent; 3. la communication doit viser à parvenir à un règlement amiable.
Les trois conditions doivent être remplies pour que le privilège relatif aux règlements soit établi. [11] Brandt invoque deux raisons à l’appui de sa prétention selon laquelle le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur en concluant que la lettre de juin 2017 était protégée par le privilège relatif aux règlements : 1) la communication n’a pas été faite dans l’intention explicite ou implicite qu’elle ne serait pas divulguée au tribunal si les négociations échouaient; et 2) la communication ne visait pas à parvenir à un règlement amiable. M.
Kitchen fait valoir que la lettre de juin 2017 satisfait aux trois conditions qui doivent être réunies pour que le privilège relatif aux règlements soit reconnu.
(1) Un litige doit exister ou doit être envisagé [12] Le premier volet du critère est manifestement rempli en ce sens qu’un litige existait ou était envisagé au moment où le conseiller juridique de Brandt a écrit la lettre de juin 2017. Je passerai donc aux volets deux et trois du critère.
(2) La communication doit être faite dans l’intention explicite ou implicite qu’elle ne sera pas divulguée au tribunal si les négociations échouent [13] Dans la décision Slipp c.
Woodstock First Nation Economic Development Corporation , 2020 NBBR 20 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 36 (QL) , un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a conclu qu’une lettre que la demanderesse avait adressée à la défenderesse était protégée par le privilège relatif aux règlements : [TRADUCTION] Pour ce qui est de la lettre que la demanderesse a adressée à la défenderesse le 30 octobre 2018, je suis d’avis qu’elle est couverte par le privilège relatif aux règlements.
Le libellé même de cette lettre reflète une intention de régler à l’amiable, ou au minimum un [TRADUCTION] « indice de négociation », pour reprendre les termes employés au paragraphe 24 de l’arrêt Bellatrix , précité. La lettre emploie expressément le terme règlement et la demanderesse l’a envoyée non seulement à la défenderesse, mais aussi à l’avocat de cette dernière. Par conséquent, je radie tout renvoi à la lettre de la demanderesse.
Encore une fois, je répète que je ne pense pas que cette question ait une conséquence quelconque. [par. 9] [14] Le juge saisi de la motion a estimé que la lettre de juin 2017 faisait délibérément allusion à la lettre envoyée par l’avocate de M. Kitchen et y répondait directement. Là encore, comme l’a indiqué le juge saisi de la motion, la lettre de l’avocate de M. Kitchen contenait une offre de règlement et elle portait la mention [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves ».
Le fait que le privilège relatif aux règlements s’appliquait à cette lettre n’est pas contesté. [15] Cela est important pour l’appréciation de la réponse de Brandt. Comme les deux parties l’ont dit dans leurs mémoires, pour trancher la question de savoir si le privilège relatif aux règlements s’appliquera à l’ensemble de la correspondance plutôt qu’à des documents individuels, il faut prendre en compte le contexte. Ce dernier est essentiel et il doit être pris en compte lorsque l’admissibilité d’une lettre est contestée.
Brandt a dit dans son mémoire que [TRADUCTION] « ni le demandeur ni le juge saisi de la motion ne peuvent tenir pour acquis que Brandt voulait que la lettre soit confidentielle, sans une preuve quelconque à l’appui de cette conclusion ». Bien que le mot [TRADUCTION] « règlement » n’ait pas été expressément employé dans la lettre de juin 2017, je ne suis pas d’accord avec Brandt pour dire que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur en concluant à l’existence d’une intention de ne pas divulguer la lettre de juin 2017 au tribunal si les négociations échouaient.
Je me fonde à cet égard sur les faits suivants : la lettre était une réponse directe à l’offre de règlement de M. Kitchen; il s’agit d’un échange de lettres entre avocats; et l’offre d’un préavis de cessation d’emploi additionnel de onze mois pendant lequel M. Kitchen travaillerait pouvait être interprétée comme une contre-offre. Brandt avait précédemment offert de prolonger ce préavis de cessation d’emploi et elle a réitéré cette offre après avoir reçu l’offre de règlement de M. Kitchen.
La lettre de juin 2017 ne fait pas état d’une position définitive non plus que d’une offre [TRADUCTION] « à prendre ou à laisser ». On y trouve l’indice d’un compromis puisqu’on dit dans cette lettre que, si M. Kitchen entretenait des préoccupations ou des inquiétudes à propos d’un retour à son lieu de travail, il pouvait faire part de ces préoccupations à Brandt. À mon avis, la possibilité que de plus amples discussions aient lieu dans ce contexte permettait aussi au juge d’inférer une volonté de négocier de la part de Brandt. [16] Dans la décision Renzone c. Onyx Homes Inc. , 2020 ONSC 7722 , [2020] O.J.
No. 5481 (QL) , où il était question d’un congédiement déguisé, le protonotaire a estimé que le contexte d’une lettre contestée était important afin de déterminer l’existence d’une intention que la correspondance soit privilégiée. La demanderesse voulait faire radier certaines parties de la défense parce qu’elles se rapportaient à des discussions en vue d’un règlement et à des communications connexes.
Le protonotaire a conclu que les parties s’étaient engagées [TRADUCTION] « à tout le moins dans certaines communications en vue d’un règlement » parce que la lettre constituait une réponse à une proposition de règlement amiable de la demanderesse (par. 19). Cette décision est persuasive; toutefois, on peut en
partie établir une distinction entre la lettre de juin 2017 et celle dont il était question dans l’affaire Renzone , cette dernière portant en rubrique la mention [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves », contrairement à la lettre de juin 2017. J’estime que la décision ne dépend pas de cette distinction parce que l’expression [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves » n’est pas déterminante en ce qui concerne l’intention des parties ( Sable , au par. 14).
De plus, dans la décision Renzone , le protonotaire a jugé que la lettre n’avait pas été rédigée dans le vide, mais en réponse à une lettre en vue d’un règlement amiable qu’avait envoyée l’avocat de la demanderesse. [17] L’intention de Brandt de faire de la lettre de juin 2017 une communication privilégiée peut être inférée du
contenu de cette lettre. Il s’agissait non seulement d’une réponse à une offre de règlement faite [TRADUCTION] « sous toutes réserves », mais la teneur de cette offre a en
partie été divulguée. Bien qu’elle n’y répétât pas le montant de l’offre faite par M. Kitchen, Brandt y disait qu’elle n’était pas en mesure de verser une somme forfaitaire. Elle proposait ensuite de prolonger de onze mois le préavis de cessation d’emploi de M. Kitchen. Cela pouvait aisément être interprété comme étant une contre-offre. Si Brandt n’avait pas l’intention que la lettre de juin 2017 soit considérée comme privilégiée, cette lettre n’aurait pas dû contenir des renseignements confidentiels. De plus, la lettre de juin 2017 n’a pas été rédigée dans le vide.
Elle constituait une réponse directe à la proposition de règlement de M. Kitchen. On s’attendait implicitement à ce que les parties continuent de communiquer sous la protection du privilège relatif aux règlements. C’est sur l’ensemble de ces éléments que reposait la conclusion du juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle la lettre de juin 2017 avait été rédigée dans l’intention implicite qu’elle ne serait pas divulguée au tribunal et elle satisfaisait donc au deuxième volet du critère.
(3) La lettre de juin 2017 visait à parvenir à un règlement amiable [18] Brandt invoque la décision Slipp et l’arrêt Bellatrix Exploration Ltd. c. Penn West Petroleum Ltd. , 2013 ABCA 10 , [2013] A.J. No. 10 (QL) , à l’appui de sa prétention selon laquelle la lettre de juin 2017 n’était qu’un énoncé de position et elle n’avait nullement l’intention de trouver un compromis ou de négocier avec M. Kitchen. Brandt fait également valoir que l’inclusion d’un choix dans une correspondance ne fait pas de cette correspondance une négociation en vue d’un règlement.
Dans l’affaire Slipp , une lettre de licenciement contenant une offre conditionnelle d’indemnité de cessation d’emploi n’était pas assujettie au privilège relatif aux règlements parce qu’il s’agissait d’un énoncé de la position de l’employeur et qu’elle ne faisait pas
partie de négociations en vue d’un règlement. Dans la décision Slipp , on s’est reporté à l’arrêt Bellatrix , dans lequel la Cour d’appel de l’Alberta a dit que le privilège relatif aux règlements ne naît pas d’une affirmation inconditionnelle de droits qui n’est pas liée à la possibilité de parvenir à un règlement amiable ou de négocier en ce sens (par. 24). [19] Brandt affirme que la lettre de juin 2017 s’apparente à la lettre de licenciement dont il était question dans l’affaire Slipp parce que Brandt affirmait ses droits en offrant un préavis de cessation d’emploi additionnel de onze mois.
Je suis d’avis que la lettre de licenciement dont il était question dans la décision Slipp est différente de la lettre de juin 2017 pour les raisons suivantes : 1. La lettre de juin 2017 était une réponse à une offre de règlement privilégiée par opposition à une lettre de licenciement indépendante; 2. Il s’agissait d’une communication entre les avocats des deux parties plutôt que d’une communication entre employeur et employé comme dans l’affaire Slipp ; 3. Dans l’affaire Slipp , la communication n’était pas une réponse à une quelconque offre de règlement faite par la demanderesse; 4.
En l’espèce, la cessation d’emploi de M. Kitchen est antérieure à la lettre de juin 2017. [20] La lettre de juin 2017 est davantage comparable à la deuxième lettre dont il était question dans l’affaire Slipp et à laquelle s’appliquait le privilège relatif aux règlements. Elle avait été radiée parce qu’on y employait le mot [TRADUCTION] « règlement » et qu’elle avait été envoyée à la défenderesse et à l’avocat de cette dernière.
Bien que le mot [TRADUCTION] « règlement » n’ait pas été employé dans la lettre de juin 2017, celle-ci contenait [TRADUCTION] « à tout le moins un indice d’une possibilité de compromis ou de négociation », comme elle le devait pour être couverte par le privilège relatif aux règlements ( Bellatrix , au par. 24). Elle contenait l’indice requis parce qu’elle faisait mention de l’offre de règlement à laquelle la lettre répondait ainsi que de la teneur de cette offre. Je conclus que la décision Slipp appuie de façon plus convaincante la position de M.
Kitchen selon laquelle la communication visait, en l’espèce, à parvenir à un règlement amiable. [21] Dans son mémoire, Brandt invoque la décision Haack c. Secure Energy (Drilling Services) Inc. , 2021 ABQB 82 , [2021] A.J. No. 192 (QL) , où la lettre dont il était question donnait au demandeur le choix entre :
a) une démission accompagnée d’une indemnité de départ; ou
b) un congédiement motivé. Cette lettre ne faisait pas l’objet d’un privilège relatif aux règlements parce qu’elle lançait un ultimatum, lequel avait pour but de faire pression sur l’employé afin qu’il donne sa démission. [22] Brandt prétend qu’elle a fait la même chose en offrant à M. Kitchen la possibilité de revenir au travail pour une période de onze mois. Les deux situations ne sont pas analogues. Dans le cas qui nous occupe, c’est le contexte dans lequel le choix – celui de revenir ou non au travail pour une période de onze mois – a été proposé qui fait naître le privilège relatif aux règlements. L’offre
de Brandt a été faite en réponse à une offre de règlement et la lettre indiquait que la discussion pouvait se poursuivre si M. Kitchen entretenait certaines préoccupations. [23] Dans l’affaire Haack , rien n’indiquait que l’employeur était disposé à offrir quoi que ce soit d’autre que les deux possibilités exposées dans la lettre. L’offre avait été faite isolément et la proposition était [TRADUCTION] « à prendre ou à laisser », sans aucun indice de compromis ou de négociation.
Elle concernait un employé dont le poste était menacé et sur lequel on faisait pression afin qu’il accepte l’indemnité proposée sous peine de faire l’objet d’un congédiement motivé. [24] Le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur en concluant que la lettre de juin 2017 visait à parvenir à un règlement amiable de l’action engagée par M. Kitchen. Si l’intention de Brandt était réellement autre, elle n’aurait pas dû mentionner la teneur de l’offre de règlement privilégiée faite par M. Kitchen.
En outre, elle aurait pu répondre à l’offre de règlement dans une lettre et exposer sa position dans une autre, clairement écrite sans réserve. Le fait que la lettre de juin 2017 ait fait état d’une offre immédiatement après le rejet de l’offre de règlement lui donne l’apparence d’une contre-offre. Une contre-offre faite à la suite d’une offre de règlement peut être interprétée comme une tentative de la part des deux parties de parvenir à un règlement amiable.
Dans l’affaire qui nous occupe, les considérations de justice que pose l’espèce n’exigent pas la reconnaissance d’une exception à l’inadmissibilité des communications en vue d’un règlement qui l’emporterait sur la considération d’intérêt public voulant que l’on favorise la résolution des différends au moyen de règlements amiables négociés (voir les arrêts Sable , au par. 12; et Meyers c. Dunphy , 2007 NLCA 1 , [2007] N.J. No. 5 (QL) , au par. 52 ). VI.
Conclusion [25] En l’espèce, les trois critères qui régissent la reconnaissance du privilège relatif aux règlements sont remplis et le juge saisi de la motion n’a commis aucune erreur en radiant la lettre de juin 2017. Il ne se dégage aucune question de droit isolable à l’égard de laquelle le juge saisi de la motion aurait commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision, et ce dernier n’a commis aucune erreur manifeste ou dominante. [26] Je suis d’avis de confirmer la décision du juge saisi de la motion.
Il n’y a pas lieu d’infirmer la décision de radier la lettre de juin 2017, non plus que de modifier la décision afin de réduire le montant des dommages-intérêts tenant lieu de préavis accordés à M. Kitchen. VII. Dispositif [27] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel avec dépens de 3 500 $ que Brandt devra payer à M. Kitchen.