2020 NBCA 25, 2020 NBCA 25
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 124-19-CA BRIAN BENOIT APPELLANT BRIAN BENOIT APPELANT - and - - et - KARINE SAVOIE RESPONDENT - and - DAVID BELL-AUTHIER RESPONDENT KARINE SAVOIE INTIMÉE - et - DAVID BELL-AUTHIER INTIMÉ Benoit v. Savoie et al., 2020 NBCA 25 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlond Benoit c.
Savoie et autre, 2020 NBCA 25 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: November 1, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 1 er novembre 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2019 NBQB 277 Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBBR 277 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: February 25, 2020 Appel entendu : le 25 février 2020 Judgment rendered: April 30, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 30 avril 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the Appellant: Hélène L. Beaulieu Q.C.
For the Respondent Karine Savoie: José Duguay (did not appear) For the Respondent David Bell-Authier: Charles-Antoine Bourgeois Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Hélène L. Beaulieu, c.r. Pour l’intimée Karine Savoie : José Duguay (n’a pas comparu) Pour l’intimé David Bell-Authier : Charles-Antoine Bourgeois THE COURT The appeal is allowed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli avec dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] On January 8, 2013, a motor vehicle accident occurred at the intersection of West Lane and Mountain Road in Moncton, New Brunswick. The motion judge, after hearing a
summary judgment motion under Rule 22, brought by the appellant, Brian Benoit, apportioned liability between the drivers of the two vehicles involved by assessing 85% of it against the respondent David Bell-
Authier and the remaining 15% against Mr. Benoit. [ 2 ] Traffic at this intersection is controlled by traffic lights, which brings into play the
interpretation and application of s. 119 of the Motor Vehicle Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. M-17 . Mr. Benoit’s appeal focuses on whether the judge erred in law in his
interpretation of s. 119 of the Act , in light of the evidence in this case, and whether he made any palpable and overriding errors of fact or of mixed fact and law in the findings he made which led to his apportionment of liability. [ 3 ] Mr. Benoit argues a correct
interpretation of s. 119 could only result in no liability being assessed against him. Mr. Bell-Authier, on the other hand, submits s. 119 does not deal with liability and that, even if it does, a common law exception, given the facts of this case, justifies the apportionment made. [ 4 ] For the reasons that follow, I would allow the appeal and assess 100% of the liability for this accident against Mr. Bell-Authier. I would also award costs against Mr. Bell-Authier in favour of Mr. Benoit in the amount of $2,500. The respondent Karine Savoie, a passenger in Mr. Benoit’s vehicle, took no
part in the appeal. II. Factual Context [ 5 ] The following facts are not in dispute. Mr. Benoit was travelling in the left-hand lane of the two westbound lanes of Mountain Road. He and Ms. Savoie were not particularly familiar with the area. The vehicle was proceeding at approximately 50 km per hour, the posted limit. [ 6 ] As the Benoit vehicle approached the intersection of Mountain Road and West Lane, Mr.
Bell-Authier was in the process of leaving the parking lot of the Papa John’s franchise located on West Lane, near the intersection, with the intention of proceeding up West Lane to effect a left-hand turn on Mountain Road. He was very familiar with the area since he worked at Papa John’s as a delivery person and had gone through this intersection many times. [ 7 ] As Mr. Bell-Authier was leaving the Papa John’s parking lot to enter West Lane, he observed that traffic on West Lane was facing a green light at the intersection.
When he reached the area between the stop line on West Lane and a pedestrian cross-walk beyond it, but located before the first of the two westbound lanes of Mountain Road, his vehicle was either stopped or was crawling ahead very slowly. At that exact moment, two critical facts came into play: 1) Mr.
Bell-Authier noticed his traffic light had turned yellow, but he did not see it go from green to yellow and, therefore, did not know how long it had been yellow; and 2) by his own estimation, a ten-foot-high snowbank obstructed his view of westbound traffic on Mountain Road coming from his left. [ 8 ] Rather than remain where he was, he chose to proceed with his left-hand turn and collided with the Benoit vehicle, striking it in a T-bone fashion on the passenger side between the front and back doors, causing considerable physical damage to the vehicles. [ 9 ] As Mr.
Benoit approached the intersection, he did not notice the presence of the traffic light until he was approximately two car lengths from the stop line in his lane of travel on Mountain Road. At that moment, he applied his brakes, but, before he reached the stop line, his light turned green. As a result, he accelerated to continue his path of travel. Given the point of impact on his vehicle, he was well into the intersection when the accident occurred. [ 10 ] The motion judge found that once Mr. Benoit had the green light, Mr. Bell-Authier had the red. As further found by the judge, Mr.
Benoit had the right of way and Mr. Bell-Authier [TRANSLATION] “ought to have stopped when he saw that the light was yellow and that he did not have a clear view of the traffic coming from his left, on Mountain Road” (para. 18).
[ 11 ] Following the collision, although the evidence discloses Mr. Bell-Authier denied telling Mr. Benoit he had tried to proceed through the intersection on the yellow light, the record before the motion judge confirms he did say this to the police. [ 12 ] Section 119(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act reads as follow: Traffic control signals 119
(1) Except when otherwise directed by a peace officer, drivers and pedestrians shall obey the instructions exhibited by a traffic control signal exhibiting the words “Go”, “Passez”, “Caution”, “Attention”, or “Stop”, “Arrêt”, or exhibiting different coloured lights successively, one at a time or in combination or with arrows, in accordance with the following provisions: (
a) green alone or “Go”, “Passez”, (
i) the driver of a vehicle facing the signal may proceed straight through or turn right or left unless a sign at such place prohibits either such turn, but shall yield the right-of-way to other vehicles or to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or on an adjacent cross walk at the time such signal is exhibited; […] (
b) yellow or amber alone or “Caution”, “Attention”, when shown immediately following the green or “Go”, “Passez”, signal, (
i) the driver of a vehicle facing the signal is thereby warned that the red or “Stop”, “Arrêt”, signal will be exhibited immediately thereafter, and such driver shall not enter the intersection unless he is so close thereto that it is impossible to stop before so entering ; […] (
c) red alone or “Stop”, “Arrêt”, Signaux de régulation de la circulation 119
(1) Sauf instructions contraires d’un agent de la paix, les conducteurs et les piétons doivent obéir aux instructions données par un signal de régulation de la circulation portant les mots « Passez » ou « Go », « Attention » ou « Caution », « Arrêt » ou « Stop » ou faisant apparaître successivement des feux de couleurs différentes, soit un seul à la fois, soit plusieurs ensemble, soit avec des flèches, conformément aux dispositions qui suivent :
a) feu vert seul ou « Passez » ou « Go », (
i) le conducteur d’un véhicule faisant face au signal peut avancer tout droit ou tourner à droite ou à gauche à moins qu’à cet endroit un panneau n’interdise l’un ou l’autre virage, mais il doit céder la priorité aux autres véhicules ou aux piétons qui se trouvent légitimement dans les limites du carrefour ou sur un passage pour piétons adjacent au moment de ce signal; […]
b) feu jaune ou jaune-orange seul ou « Attention » ou « Caution », quant il apparaît immédiatement après le feu vert ou « Passez » ou « Go », (
i) le conducteur d’un véhicule faisant face au signal est ainsi averti que le feu rouge ou le mot « Arrêt » ou « Stop » apparaîtra aussitôt après; ce conducteur ne doit pas s’engager dans le carrefour à moins d’en être si près qu’il lui est impossible de s’arrêter avant de s’y engager ; […]
c) feu rouge seul ou « Arrêt » ou « Stop », (
i) sous réserve des autres dispositions du présent alinéa, le conducteur d’un véhicule qui approche d’un carrefour et fait face au signal doit amener son véhicule à un arrêt complet à la ligne d’arrêt nettement marquée
(
i) subject to the other provisions of this paragraph, the driver of a vehicle that is approaching an intersection and facing the signal shall bring his vehicle to a full stop at a clearly marked Stop line, or if none, then immediately before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then immediately before entering the intersection, and shall not enter the intersection until the green alone or “Go”, “Passez”, signal is exhibited, but the driver may cautiously enter the intersection for the purpose of making a right turn after bringing his vehicle to a full stop, and shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection[.] […] [Emphasis added.] ou, à défaut de ligne, juste avant de traverser le passage pour piétons qui se trouve de son côté du carrefour ou, à défaut de passage, juste avant de s’engager dans le carrefour, et il ne doit pas s’y engager avant l’apparition du feu vert ou du mot « Passez » ou « Go », mais le conducteur peut s’engager prudemment dans le carrefour, en vue d’effectuer un virage à droite après avoir amené son véhicule à un arrêt complet et il doit céder la priorité aux piétons qui se trouvent légitimement dans les limites d’un passage et à un autre courant de circulation empruntant légitimement le carrefour[.] […] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [ 13 ] The motion judge held s. 119(1)(b)(
i) imposed a clear obligation on Mr. Bell-Authier to stop and, on that basis alone, he held he was liable, at least in part, for the accident. The motion judge made no mention or finding of the critical feature contained in s. 119(1)(b)(i), namely that Mr. Bell-Authier was so close to the intersection that it was impossible for him to stop before entering it. Indeed, as noted, the motion judge found exactly the opposite: Mr. Bell-Authier should have and could have stopped as he was moving very slowly prior to entering the intersection (para. 30). III. Standard of Review [ 14 ] The motion judge’s
interpretation and application of s. 119(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act is a question of law to be reviewed on the standard of correctness. His findings of fact are subject to the review standard of palpable and overriding error. The determination of whether a standard of care was met involves the application of the standard to a set of facts; that is a question of mixed fact and law, reviewable on the standard of palpable and overriding error ( see Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at para. 37 ). IV. Analysis [ 15 ] Section 119(1)(b)(
i) governs the conduct of Mr. Bell-Authier in this case. The motion judge clearly and correctly found he had breached his duty of care by moving into the intersection on what he clearly knew was a yellow light when, under the circumstances then prevailing, he could and should have stopped, as required by this provision. The language of s. 119 is mandatory. [ 16 ] Section 119(1)(a)(
i) governs the conduct of Mr. Benoit. As the driver with the green light, he had the right-of-way and was only required to yield it to another vehicle “lawfully within the intersection.” As correctly found by the motion judge, Mr. Bell-Authier’s vehicle was not lawfully within the intersection at the time of the collision. [ 17 ] Yet, the motion judge proceeded to determine whether Mr. Benoit was contributorily negligent. He found he had lacked “vigilance”, notwithstanding he entered the intersection on a green light. He based this finding on two facts: 1) Mr.
Benoit had not noticed the presence of the traffic light until he was approximately two car lengths from his stop line; and 2) once he had the green light, and was again moving at about the speed limit, it would have been more prudent for him to look to his right to make sure no vehicle was approaching.
[ 18 ] With respect to the first fact, there is nothing regarding the point when Mr. Benoit noticed the presence of the traffic light which might inform in what manner, if any, this could have contributed to the accident. There was no evidence before the motion judge dealing with this aspect of the case. [ 19 ] The second fact mentioned in paragraph 17 above ignores the presence of the same obstruction (ten-foot-high snowbank) which would have impeded Mr. Benoit’s visibility of Mr. Bell-Authier’s vehicle. Recall as well, Mr. Bell- Authier’s vehicle struck Mr.
Benoit’s vehicle behind the front passenger door, indicating that Mr. Benoit’s vehicle had almost cleared the intersection before the impact. [ 20 ] With respect to this second fact, that is Mr. Benoit’s failure to look to his right before entering the intersection on a green light, the judge relied heavily on the decision of this Court in McAdam v.
McIlveen, Langille and Bowland , 2002 NBCA 55 , 252 N.B.R. (2d) 35 , in determining there are “exceptions” to the unimpeded right to enter an intersection on a green light, notwithstanding the visibility issues of this case. [ 21 ] McAdam dealt with a situation where the plaintiff had failed to stop at a stop sign at the end of a country road, before entering an intersecting through highway, when it was plainly unsafe to do so.
The apportionment of liability determined by the trial judge was reversed by this Court, in part, because of “the standard of care applicable to dominant and servient drivers approaching contemporaneously a T-intersection formed by a through highway and a side road controlled by a ‘STOP’ sign” (para. 19). [ 22 ] The drivers in McAdam were subject to a different provision of the Act , namely s. 167(
a) in terms of their standard of care. It reads as follows: Right-of-way 167 Notwithstanding the provisions of
section 165, the driver of a vehicle (
a) about to enter or cross the roadway of a through highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian legally crossing the roadway and to any vehicle approaching so closely on the through highway as to constitute an immediate hazard[.] Priorité 167 Nonobstant les dispositions de l’article 165, le conducteur d’un véhicule,
a) lorsqu’il est sur le point de s’engager sur la chaussée d’une route à priorité ou de la traverser, doit céder la priorité à tout piéton qui traverse légalement la chaussée et à tout véhicule qui approche sur la route à priorité et qui est arrivé assez près pour constituer un danger imminent[.] [ 23 ] As is readily apparent, the standard of care for the servient driver in circumstances such as those in McAdam implies far different considerations than those in the appeal before us.
Under s. 167(a), the servient driver, before entering the through highway, must positively determine if any vehicle approaching on the through highway is so close to the intersection as to constitute an immediate hazard. That not only requires the servient driver to make an assessment of oncoming dominant traffic, but it also requires the dominant driver not to recklessly disregard the servient driver.
That is what explains this Court’s findings in McAdam : […] most, if not all, of the reported cases where some liability has been imposed upon a dominant driver for a collision with a vehicle operated by a servient driver at an intersection of the kind that concerns us here feature (1) compliance, albeit perhaps imperfect, with the “STOP” sign’s command, and (2) a reckless disregard by the dominant driver for the safety of the servient driver .
More often than not, that disregard manifests itself by excessive speed and a more than momentary failure to keep a proper lookout . [para. 23] [Emphasis added.] [ 24 ] This is the paragraph the motion judge cited in para. 35 of his decision to support his finding of contributory negligence against Mr. Benoit. He stated McAdam dealt with [TRANSLATION] “the issue of ‘dominant drivers’ liability in situations like the one here ” (emphasis added). That is an incorrect characterization of McAdam .
The case before us deals with an urban intersection controlled by a traffic control signal with a very different standard of care, set out in s. 119(1) . McAdam dealt with a highway
setting and one can well understand this Court’s
interpretation of the standard of care which flows from it.
Section 167(
a) clearlyassumes 1) both drivers can see each other’s presence, and the dominant driver attracts a portion of liability if he/she shows a recklessdisregard for the servient driver by, more often than not, utilizing excessive speed (not a factor in the appeal before us); and 2) a morethan momentary failure to keep a proper lookout, which, again, stands to reason because the dominant driver, approaching anintersection such as the one in McAdam, will have observed the presence of the servient driver for more than a mere moment. [25] This, in my opinion, distinguishes McAdam from the case before us.
The facts, circumstancesand applicable legislation are completely different, and nothing from McAdam can be extracted to support a finding of contributorynegligence against Mr. Benoit in this case. [26] This Court, in McAdam, nonetheless reiterated the often-stated benchmark, that a standard ofcare is one that would be expected of ordinary, reasonable and prudent drivers in the same circumstances. It went on to reiterate the lawclearly set out in Walker v. Brownlee and Harmon, (SCC), [1952] S.C.J.
No. 56 (QL): […] when A, the driver in the servient position, proceeds through an intersection in complete disregard of his statutory duty to yield theright-of-way and a collision results, if he seeks to cast any portion of the blame upon B, the driver having the right-of-way, A mustestablish that after B became aware, or by the exercise of reasonable care should have become aware, of A’s disregard of the law B hadin fact a sufficient opportunity to avoid the accident of which a reasonably careful and skilful driver would have availed himself; and I donot think that in such circumstances any doubts should be resolved in favour of A, whose unlawful conduct was fons et origo mali. [para. 49] [Emphasis added.] [27] In the case before us, as earlier noted, not only did the motion judge not make the finding of factrequired by s. 119(1)(b)(
i) as to the impossibility for Mr. Bell-Authier to avoid entering the intersection, he also did not make anyfinding that, had Mr. Benoit observed Mr. Bell-Authier’s vehicle prior to the collision, he could have avoided it. To the extent he mighthave had any doubt on that point, he certainly made no finding resolving it in favour of Mr. Bell-Authier. He could not have made such afinding in any event, given the clear obligation on Mr.
Bell-Authier not to enter into the intersection in accordance with the obligationimposed on him pursuant to s. 119(1)(b)(i). [28] Although a finding of contributory negligence is a finding of fact pursuant to s. 4 of theContributory Negligence Act, R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 131, the motion judge’s findings were palpably wrong and amount to an overridingreversible error. As this Court noted in McAdam, it is only if a finding of fault can be shown to have “played a role in fashioning theoutcome” (para. 31) that it can constitute actionable negligence.
There was not, nor could there be, any such finding in the case before us.The negligence of Mr. Bell-Authier, in failing to comply with s. 119(1)(b)(
i) of the Motor Vehicle Act by entering the intersection whilethe light governing his entry was yellow and while he was in a position to stop, was the sole and effective cause of the accident (Lavoieet al. v. Levesque (1976), (NB CA), 16 N.B.R. (2d) 272, [1976] N.B.J. No. 259 (S.C., App. Div.) (QL)). V. Disposition [29] I would allow the appeal with costs of $2,500. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE LEBLOND
I. Introduction [1] Le 8 janvier 2013, un accident de véhicules à moteur a eu lieu au carrefour de l’allée West et du chemin Mountain à Moncton, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Le juge saisi de la motion, après avoir entendu une motion en jugement
sommaire déposée par l’appelant, Brian Benoit, en vertu de la règle 22, a partagé la responsabilité entre les conducteurs des deux véhicules concernés en imputant une part de 85 % à l’intimé David Bell-Authier et la part restante, soit 15 %, à M. Benoit. [2] La régulation de la circulation à ce carrefour est assurée par des feux de circulation, ce qui fait intervenir l’interprétation et l’application de l’art. 119 de la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-17. L’appel de M. Benoit soulève au premier chef la question de savoir si le juge a commis une erreur de droit dans la façon dont il a interprété l’art. 119, à la lumière de la preuve produite dans la présente affaire, et s’il a commis des erreurs de fait ou mixtes de droit et de fait qui sont manifestes et dominantes dans les conclusions qu’il a tirées et qui l’ont amené à ainsi partager la responsabilité. [3] M. Benoit prétend que suivant une interprétation correcte de l’art. 119, aucune part de responsabilité ne saurait lui être imputée. M.
Bell-Authier, quant à lui, prétend que l’art. 119 ne traite pas de responsabilité et que, même s’il en traite, une exception prévue par la common law, étant donné les faits de la présente instance, justifie le partage effectué. [4] Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel et d’attribuer l’entière responsabilité à l’égard de l’accident à M. Bell-Authier. Je suis également d’avis de condamner M. Bell-Authier à verser à M. Benoit des dépens de 2 500 $. L’intimée Karine Savoie, passagère dans le véhicule de M. Benoit, n’a pas pris part à l’appel. II.
Le contexte factuel [5] Les faits suivants ne sont pas en litige. M. Benoit circulait dans la voie de gauche des deux voies réservées à la circulation en direction ouest du chemin Mountain. M me Savoie et lui ne connaissaient pas vraiment bien le secteur. Le véhicule circulait à environ 50 km/h, soit la limite affichée. [6] Comme le véhicule que conduisait M. Benoit approchait du carrefour du chemin Mountain et de l’allée West, M.
Bell-Authier était en train de quitter le parc de stationnement du restaurant Papa John’s situé sur l’allée West, à proximité du carrefour, dans l’intention d’emprunter l’allée West pour effectuer un virage à gauche sur le chemin Mountain. Il connaissait très bien le secteur puisqu’il travaillait comme livreur au Papa John’s et avait traversé ce carrefour à de nombreuses reprises. [7] Comme M. Bell-Authier quittait le stationnement du Papa John’s pour s’engager sur l’allée West, il a vu que le feu était vert au carrefour pour les voitures circulant sur l’allée West.
Lorsqu’il est arrivé à l’endroit situé entre la ligne d’arrêt sur l’allée West et un passage pour piétons situé juste après, mais avant la première des deux voies en direction ouest du chemin Mountain, il a soit immobilisé son véhicule soit continué à avancer très lentement. À ce moment précis, deux faits cruciaux sont intervenus : 1) M.
Bell-Authier a remarqué que son feu de circulation était passé au jaune, mais il ne l’avait pas vu passer du vert au jaune, de sorte qu’il ne savait pas depuis combien de temps il était jaune; 2) selon son estimation, un banc de neige d’une hauteur de dix pieds l’empêchait de voir les véhicules venant de sa gauche et circulant en direction ouest sur le chemin Mountain. [8] Au lieu de rester où il était, il a choisi d’effectuer son virage à gauche et est entré en collision avec le véhicule conduit par M.
Benoit, heurtant celui-ci latéralement, du côté du passager, entre les portes avant et arrière et causant ainsi des dommages matériels considérables aux véhicules. [9] Comme M. Benoit approchait du carrefour, il n’a remarqué la présence du feu de circulation que lorsqu’il s’est trouvé à environ deux longueurs de voiture de la ligne d’arrêt dans sa voie de circulation sur le chemin Mountain. À ce moment-là, il a freiné, mais, avant qu’il parvienne à la ligne d’arrêt, son feu est passé au vert. Il a donc accéléré pour continuer sa route.
Étant donné le point d’impact sur son véhicule, il était bien engagé dans le carrefour lorsque l’accident a eu lieu.
[10] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que dès que M. Benoit a eu un feu vert, M. Bell-Authier a eu un feu rouge. Ainsi que le juge l’a également conclu, M. Benoit avait la priorité et M. Bell-Authier « aurait dû s’arrêter lorsqu’il a vu que le feu était jaune et qu’il n’avait pas une bonne visibilité en ce qui concerne la circulation qui provenait de sa gauche, sur le chemin Mountain » (par. 18). [11] Bien que la preuve révèle que M. Bell-Authier a nié avoir dit à M.
Benoit, à la suite de la collision, qu’il avait essayé de traverser le carrefour au feu jaune, le dossier produit devant le juge saisi de la motion confirme qu’il a effectivement dit cela aux policiers. [12] Le paragraphe 119(1) de la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur est ainsi rédigé : Traffic control signals 119
(1) Except when otherwise directed by a peace officer, drivers and pedestrians shall obey the instructions exhibited by a traffic control signal exhibiting the words “Go”, “Passez”, “Caution”, “Attention”, or “Stop”, “Arrêt”, or exhibiting different coloured lights successively, one at a time or in combination or with arrows, in accordance with the following provisions: (
a) green alone or “Go”, “Passez”, (
i) the driver of a vehicle facing the signal may proceed straight through or turn right or left unless a sign at such place prohibits either such turn, but shall yield the right-of-way to other vehicles or to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or on an adjacent cross walk at the time such signal is exhibited; […] (
b) yellow or amber alone or “Caution”, “Attention”, when shown immediately following the green or “Go”, “Passez”, signal, (
i) the driver of a vehicle facing the signal is thereby warned that the red or “Stop”, “Arrêt”, signal will be exhibited immediately thereafter, and such driver shall not enter the intersection unless he is so close thereto that it is impossible to stop before so entering ; Signaux de régulation de la circulation 119
(1) Sauf instructions contraires d’un agent de la paix, les conducteurs et les piétons doivent obéir aux instructions données par un signal de régulation de la circulation portant les mots « Passez » ou « Go », « Attention » ou « Caution », « Arrêt » ou « Stop » ou faisant apparaître successivement des feux de couleurs différentes, soit un seul à la fois, soit plusieurs ensemble, soit avec des flèches, conformément aux dispositions qui suivent :
a) feu vert seul ou « Passez » ou « Go », (
i) le conducteur d’un véhicule faisant face au signal peut avancer tout droit ou tourner à droite ou à gauche à moins qu’à cet endroit un panneau n’interdise l’un ou l’autre virage, mais il doit céder la priorité aux autres véhicules ou aux piétons qui se trouvent légitimement dans les limites du carrefour ou sur un passage pour piétons adjacent au moment de ce signal; […]
b) feu jaune ou jaune-orange seul ou « Attention » ou « Caution », quand il apparaît immédiatement après le feu vert ou « Passez » ou « Go », (
i) le conducteur d’un véhicule faisant face au signal est ainsi averti que le feu rouge ou le mot « Arrêt » ou « Stop » apparaîtra aussitôt après; ce conducteur ne doit pas s’engager dans le carrefour à moins d’en être si près qu’il lui est impossible de s’arrêter avant de s’y engager ; […]
c) feu rouge seul ou « Arrêt » ou « Stop »,
[…] (
c) red alone or “Stop”, “Arrêt”, (
i) subject to the other provisions of this paragraph, the driver of a vehicle that is approaching an intersection and facing the signal shall bring his vehicle to a full stop at a clearly marked Stop line, or if none, then immediately before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then immediately before entering the intersection, and shall not enter the intersection until the green alone or “Go”, “Passez”, signal is exhibited, but the driver may cautiously enter the intersection for the purpose of making a right turn after bringing his vehicle to a full stop, and shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection[.] […] [Emphasis added.] (
i) sous réserve des autres dispositions du présent alinéa, le conducteur d’un véhicule qui approche d’un carrefour et fait face au signal doit amener son véhicule à un arrêt complet à la ligne d’arrêt nettement marquée ou, à défaut de ligne, juste avant de traverser le passage pour piétons qui se trouve de son côté du carrefour ou, à défaut de passage, juste avant de s’engager dans le carrefour, et il ne doit pas s’y engager avant l’apparition du feu vert ou du mot « Passez » ou « Go », mais le conducteur peut s’engager prudemment dans le carrefour, en vue d’effectuer un virage à droite après avoir amené son véhicule à un arrêt complet et il doit céder la priorité aux piétons qui se trouvent légitimement dans les limites d’un passage et à un autre courant de circulation empruntant légitimement le carrefour[.] […] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [13] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que le ss-al. 119(1)b)(
i) imposait à M. Bell-Authier l’obligation ferme de s’arrêter et, pour ce seul motif, il a conclu que ce dernier était responsable, du moins en partie, à l’égard de l’accident. Le juge saisi de la motion n’a fait nulle mention de l’élément crucial contenu au ss- al. 119(1) b)(i), savoir que M. Bell-Authier était si près du carrefour qu’il lui était impossible de s’arrêter avant de s’y engager, et n’a non plus tiré aucune conclusion à cet égard. D’ailleurs, comme nous l’avons souligné, le juge saisi de la motion a tiré une conclusion exactement contraire : M.
Bell-Authier aurait dû et aurait pu s’arrêter puisqu’il circulait très lentement avant de s’engager dans le carrefour (par. 30). III. La norme de contrôle [14] La façon dont le juge saisi de la motion a interprété et appliqué le par. 119(1) de la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur est une question de droit qui est susceptible de contrôle selon la norme de la décision correcte. Le contrôle de ses conclusions de fait appelle l’application de la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. La question de savoir si la norme de diligence a été respectée suppose l’application de la norme à un ensemble de faits, ce qui en fait une question mixte de droit et de fait, susceptible de contrôle selon la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante (voir l’arrêt Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, au par. 37 ). IV. Analyse [15] Le sous-alinéa 119(1)b)(
i) régit la conduite de M. Bell-Authier en l’espèce. Le juge saisi de la motion a clairement et à bon droit conclu qu’il avait manqué à son devoir de diligence en s’engageant dans le carrefour malgré ce qu’il savait fort bien être un feu jaune et alors que dans les circonstances qui existaient au moment en question, il aurait pu et aurait dû s’arrêter comme l’exige cette disposition. Le libellé de l’art. 119 est impératif. [16] Le sous-alinéa 119(1)a)(
i) régit la conduite de M. Benoit. En sa qualité de conducteur ayant le feu vert, il avait la priorité, qu’il ne devait céder qu’aux autres véhicules « qui se trouv[aient] légitimement dans les limites du carrefour ». Ainsi que l’a correctement conclu le juge saisi de la motion, le véhicule de M. Bell-Authier ne se trouvait pas légitimement dans les limites du carrefour au moment de la collision. [17] Pourtant, le juge saisi de la motion a entrepris de trancher la question de savoir s’il y avait eu négligence contributive de la part de M. Benoit. Il a conclu qu’il avait manqué de « vigilance », malgré le fait qu’il s’était engagé dans le
carrefour pendant que le feu était vert. Il a fondé cette conclusion sur deux faits : 1) M. Benoit ne s’était aperçu de la présence du feu de circulation que lorsqu’il n’était qu’à environ deux longueurs de voitures de sa ligne d’arrêt; 2) une fois le feu au vert et alors qu’il circulait de nouveau à environ la vitesse permise, il aurait été plus prudent de sa part de regarder à sa droite pour s’assurer qu’aucun véhicule ne s’approchait. [18] En ce qui concerne le premier fait, il n’y a rien en ce qui concerne le moment où M.
Benoit a remarqué la présence du feu de circulation qui puisse nous éclairer sur la manière, si tant est qu’elle existe, dont cela aurait pu contribuer à l’accident. Le juge saisi de la motion ne disposait d’aucun élément de preuve traitant de cet aspect de l’affaire. [19] Le deuxième fait mentionné au paragraphe 17 ci-dessus passe outre à la présence du même obstacle visuel (le banc de neige de dix pieds) qui aurait empêché M. Benoit de bien voir le véhicule de M. Bell-Authier. On se rappellera également que le véhicule de M. Bell-Authier est venu heurter le véhicule de M.
Benoit derrière la portière avant du côté du passager, ce qui donne à penser que le véhicule de M. Benoit avait presque entièrement traversé le carrefour avant l’impact. [20] S’agissant de ce deuxième fait, savoir l’omission de M. Benoit de regarder à sa droite avant de s’engager dans le carrefour sur un feu vert, le juge s’est fortement appuyé sur la décision de notre Cour dans l’arrêt McAdam c.
McIlveen et al. , 2002 NBCA 55 , 252 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 35 , pour déterminer s’il existe des [TRADUCTION] « exceptions » au droit absolu de s’engager dans un carrefour lorsque le feu est vert, indépendamment des problèmes de visibilité qui se sont posés en l’espèce. [21] Dans l’affaire McAdam , il s’agissait d’une situation où le demandeur avait omis de s’immobiliser à un panneau d’arrêt situé au bout d’une route de campagne avant de s’engager sur une route à priorité sur laquelle elle débouchait, alors qu’il était clairement dangereux de le faire.
Le partage de la responsabilité qu’avait effectué le juge du procès a été infirmé par notre Cour, en raison, notamment, de « la norme de diligence applicable aux conducteurs qui ont le droit de passage et à ceux qui doivent céder le passage à l’approche d’une intersection en T formée par une route à priorité et une route secondaire régie par un panneau d’arrêt » (par. 19). [22] Dans l’affaire McAdam , les conducteurs étaient régis par une disposition différente de la Loi , savoir l’al. 167a), pour ce qui concerne la norme de diligence applicable.
Cette disposition est ainsi rédigée : Right-of-way 167 Notwithstanding the provisions of
section 165, the driver of a vehicle (
a) about to enter or cross the roadway of a through highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian legally crossing the roadway and to any vehicle approaching so closely on the through highway as to constitute an immediate hazard[.] Priorité 167 Nonobstant les dispositions de l’article 165, le conducteur d’un véhicule,
a) lorsqu’il est sur le point de s’engager sur la chaussée d’une route à priorité ou de la traverser, doit céder la priorité à tout piéton qui traverse légalement la chaussée et à tout véhicule qui approche sur la route à priorité et qui est arrivé assez près pour constituer un danger imminent[.] [23] Il est d’emblée évident que la norme de diligence à laquelle est assujetti le conducteur qui doit céder le passage dans des circonstances comme celles qui existaient dans l’affaire McAdam fait intervenir des considérations fort différentes de celles soulevées dans l’appel interjeté devant nous.
Aux termes de l’al. 167a), le conducteur qui doit céder le passage doit, avant de s’engager sur une route à priorité, déterminer avec certitude si un véhicule qui approche sur la route à priorité est tellement près du carrefour qu’il constitue un danger imminent. Non seulement cela exige du conducteur qui doit céder le passage qu’il fasse une évaluation des véhicules prioritaires qui circulent dans sa direction, mais cela exige aussi du conducteur prioritaire qu’il ne fasse pas preuve d’une insouciance téméraire à l’endroit du conducteur qui a l’obligation de céder le passage. C’est ce qui est expliqué dans les
conclusions que notre Cour a tirées dans l’arrêt McAdam: […] la plupart, sinon la totalité, des causes publiées où une certaine part de responsabilité a été imputée à un conducteur prioritaireimpliqué dans une collision avec le véhicule d’un conducteur qui devait céder le passage, à une intersection du genre de celle en l’espèce,font état : (1) du respect, quoique peut-être imparfait, de l’ordre d’arrêt et (2) de l’insouciance téméraire du conducteur prioritaire pour lasécurité du conducteur qui devait céder le passage.
La plupart du temps, cette insouciance se manifeste par une vitesse excessive et ledéfaut plus que momentané d’observer une vigilance appropriée. [par. 23] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [24] C’est ce paragraphe que le juge saisi de la motion a invoqué, au par. 35 de sa décision, à l’appuide la conclusion de négligence contributive qu’il a tirée à l’encontre de M. Benoit. Il a dit que l’arrêt McAdam traitait « d’une question deresponsabilité des conducteurs prioritaires dans des situations s’apparentant à celle qui nous intéresse ici » (c’est moi qui souligne). C’estune interprétation incorrecte de l’arrêt McAdam.
L’affaire qui nous occupe en l’espèce concerne un carrefour urbain régi par des signauxde régulation de la circulation, ce qui impose une norme de diligence très différente, énoncée au par. 119(1). Dans l’affaire McAdam, ils’agissait d’une route et on peut fort bien comprendre l’interprétation retenue par notre Cour quant à la norme de diligence découlant decette situation.
L’alinéa 167a) suppose clairement 1) que les deux conducteurs peuvent se voir l’un l’autre et que le conducteur prioritairerisque de se voir imputer une part de responsabilité s’il fait preuve d’une insouciance téméraire envers le conducteur qui doit céder lepassage en circulant, la plupart du temps, à une vitesse excessive (ce qui n’est pas un facteur dans l’appel dont nous sommes saisis enl’espèce); et (2) le défaut plus que momentané d’observer une vigilance appropriée, ce qui, là encore, va de soi parce que le conducteurprioritaire, qui approche d’un carrefour comme celui dont il était question dans l’affaire McAdam, aura observé la présence duconducteur qui doit céder le passage pendant davantage qu’un simple instant. [25] J’estime que cela différencie l’affaire McAdam de celle qui nous occupe en l’espèce.
Les faits,les circonstances et les dispositions législatives applicables sont complètement différents et il n’y a rien que l’on puisse dégager del’arrêt McAdam pour appuyer une conclusion de négligence contributive à l’encontre de M. Benoit en l’espèce. [26] Notre Cour, dans l’arrêt McAdam, a néanmoins réitéré le point de référence souvent mentionné,savoir que la conduite correspondant à la norme de diligence est celle que l’on s’attendrait d’observer chez un conducteur ordinaire,raisonnable et prudent dans la même situation.
Elle a ensuite réitéré les règles de droit clairement énoncées dans l’arrêt Walker c.Brownlee and Harmon, (SCC), [1952] S.C.J. No. 56 (QL): [TRADUCTION] […] lorsque A, le chauffeur qui doit céder le passage, s’engage dans une intersection en omettant de se conformer à son obligation decéder le droit de passage et qu’une collision s’ensuit, s’il cherche à jeter une
partie du blâme sur B, le chauffeur qui a le droit de priorité,A doit démontrer que B, après avoir su, ou après le moment où il aurait dû savoir, en agissant raisonnablement, que A n’a pas respecté laloi, avait une possibilité suffisante d’éviter l’accident dont un chauffeur raisonnablement prudent et habile se serait prévalu. À mon avis,un doute dans ces circonstances ne devrait pas être résolu en faveur de A, dont la conduite illégale était fons et origo mali. [par. 49] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [27] En l’espèce, comme je l’ai souligné, non seulement le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas tiré laconclusion de fait exigée par le ss-al. 119(1)b)(
i) quant à l’impossibilité dans laquelle se serait trouvé M. Bell-Authier d’éviter des’engager dans le carrefour, mais il n’a non plus tiré aucune conclusion selon laquelle, pour peu que M. Benoit eût aperçu le véhicule deM. Bell-Authier avant la collision, il aurait pu éviter celle-ci. Dans la mesure où le juge a pu entretenir un certain doute à cet égard, il n’acertainement tiré aucune conclusion dissipant ce doute en faveur de M. Bell-Authier. Il n’aurait de toute façon pas pu tirer uneconclusion de cette nature étant donné la nette obligation qui incombait à M.
Bell-Authier de ne pas s’engager dans le carrefourconformément à l’obligation qui lui était imposée par le ss-al. 119(1)b)(i). [28] Bien qu’une conclusion de négligence contributive soit une conclusion de fait par application del’art. 4 de la
Loi sur la négligence contributive, L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 131, les conclusions du juge saisi de la motion étaient manifestementerronées et constituent une erreur dominante justifiant l’infirmation de la décision. Ainsi que l’a souligné notre Cour dansl’arrêt McAdam, ce n’est que si l’on peut établir qu’une conclusion de faute « a joué un rôle dans le dénouement de la situation » (par.31) que cette faute pourrait constituer une négligence donnant ouverture à des poursuites. Aucune conclusion de cette nature n’a été, nine pouvait être, tirée en l’espèce. La négligence dont a fait preuve M. Bell-Authier, en omettant de se conformer au ss-al. 119(1)b)(
i) dela
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur lorsqu’il s’est engagé dans le carrefour alors que le feu qui le régissait était jaune et alors qu’il avait lapossibilité de s’arrêter, a constitué la cause unique et véritable de l’accident (Lavoie et al. c. Levesque (1976), (NB CA), 16 R.N.-B. (2e) 272, [1976] A.N.-B. no 259 (C.S., Div. d’appel) (QL)).
V. Dispositif [29] Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel avec dépens de 2 500 $.