2020 NBCA 16, 2020 NBCA 16
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 6-19-CA RODNEY J. GILLIS APPELLANT RODNEY J. GILLIS APPELANT - and - - et - CITY OF BATHURST and CITY OFFREDERICTON RESPONDENTS CITY OF BATHURST et CITY OFFREDERICTON INTIMÉES Gillis v. Cities of Bathurst and Fredericton, 2020NBCA 16 Gillis c.
City of Bathurst et City of Fredericton, 2020NBCA 16 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: January 4, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 4 janvier 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2019 NBQB 6 Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBQB 6 , 2019 NBBR 6 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard and Judgment rendered: October 31, 2019 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 31 octobre 2019 Reasons delivered: March 19, 2020 Motifs déposés : le 19 mars 2020
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Drapeau Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Rodney J. Gillis, Q.C. appeared in person For the respondent City of Bathurst: Edwin G. Ehrhardt, Q.C. and Michel L. Arseneault For the respondent City of Fredericton: D. Geoffrey Machum, Q.C., Katherine M. Toner and Lara J. Greenough Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Rodney J.
Gillis, c.r., a comparu en personne Pour l’intimée City of Bathurst : Edwin G. Ehrhardt, c.r., et Michel L. Arseneault Pour l’intimée The City of Fredericton : D. Geoffrey Machum, c.r., Katherine M. Toner et Lara J. Greenough THE COURT On October 31, 2019, the Court dismissed the appeal after hearing the appellant, and without calling on the respondents. We indicated, at the time, that written reasons would follow. Those reasons are set out in the accompanying text.
LA COUR Le 31 octobre 2019, la Cour a rejeté l’appel après avoir entendu l’appelant, sans que les intimées ne soient appelées à présenter leurs observations. Nous avons mentionné à l’époque que les motifs suivraient. Ces motifs sont exposés dans le texte qui suit. The judgment of the Court was delivered by DRAPEAU, J.A. I. Introduction and
Summary [ 1 ] Following a citizen’s complaint and an investigation by police officers with the respondent municipalities, the appellant was charged with attempting to obstruct justice, an offence under s. 139(2) of the Criminal Code , R.S .C. 1985, c. C-46 . He was tried and found guilty by a judge of the Provincial Court. On appeal, this Court set aside the conviction and ordered a new trial: Gillis v. R. , 2014 NBCA 58 , 426 N.B.R. (2d) 1 .
When the Crown failed to adduce any evidence on the retrial, the appellant was acquitted. [ 2 ] He then brought the underlying action in damages against the investigating officers and the respondents, alleging the investigation was carried out negligently and that, but for that negligence, he would not have been charged, tried and convicted. In the Amended Statement of Claim, the appellant contended both municipalities were liable for failing to adequately supervise the investigation and that one, The City of Fredericton, was also liable for failing to appoint a sufficiently experienced
investigator. As well, the appellant claimed the municipalities were vicariously liable at common law for their respective officers’ negligent investigation and pursuant to s. 17 of the Police Act , S.N.B. 1977, c. P-9.2 , which provides a municipality is liable for a “tort” committed by one of its officers in the performance or purported performance of his or her duties.
Significantly, the appellant did not allege the officers acted in bad faith because, as he explained at the hearing on appeal, such an allegation would be difficult to prove. [ 3 ] In their joint Statement of Defence, The City of Fredericton and its officer denied the allegation of negligent investigation and asserted that, in any event, they were immune from suit by virtue of the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act , R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 210 . The City of Bathurst and its officer did likewise in their Amended Statement of Defence.
Both municipalities averred they could not, as a matter of law, be held directly liable, as alleged, or vicariously liable, given the officers’ statutory immunity from suit. The City of Fredericton and its officer applied, under Rule 23.01(1)(
a) of the Rules of Court , for a determination of the following question of law: were the claims against them precluded by the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act ? The two sets of defendants applied for an order under Rule 23.01(1)(
b) striking the Amended Statement of Claim for failure, given the immunity provided by the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act , to disclose a reasonable cause of action. They also sought an order converting the motions into motions for judgment pursuant to Rule 37.10(a). [ 4 ] A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench found the officers were immune from the appellant’s suit in negligence, by virtue of the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act . It followed the Amended Statement of Claim did not disclose a reasonable cause of action against them.
That was, as well, the case with respect to the municipalities because they could not, as a matter of law, be found liable, directly or vicariously. In the result, the judge converted the motions for “summary judgment” into motions for judgment under Rule 37.10(a), and dismissed the action against all defendants (see Gillis v. City of Bathurst et al . , 2019 NBQB 6 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 5 (QL) , at para. 62 ). [ 5 ] There is no appeal from the dismissal of the action against the investigating officers on the basis of their immunity from suit under the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act .
That being so, one might be forgiven for thinking the doctrine of issue estoppel would preclude the appellant from re-litigating the question on this appeal.
However, the point has not been pursued by either respondent. [ 6 ] It is alleged in the Notice of Appeal that the motion judge erred in law: (1) by dismissing the claim in negligence against the respondent municipalities; (2) in failing to find the police in this jurisdiction are not immune from liability for the tort of negligent investigation; and (3) in failing to find a municipality is liable for a tort committed by one of its police officers even if he or she may not be sued by virtue of a statutory immunity. The last-mentioned ground of appeal brings into play s. 17 of the Police Act .
Concerned with the motion judge’s failure to interpret and address fulsomely the effect of that provision, each respondent filed a Notice of Contention, positing his decision to dismiss the action is also sustainable on the basis that s. 17 makes them “immune from suit”. [ 7 ] At the hearing, the appellant added a further objection: in his submission, the decision under appeal is tainted by the motion judge’s failure to appreciate the difference between a judgment pursuant to Rule 37.10(
a) and a
summary judgment under Rule 22. In this regard, the appellant points to instances in the reasons for decision where the expression “summary judgment” is used to describe the nature of the relief sought and granted. Of course, if
summary judgment under Rule 22 was under consideration, the appellant was entitled to proper notice and to lead evidence, which was not an option under Rules 23.01(1)(
a) or (b). [ 8 ] After hearing the appellant, we dismissed the appeal, with reasons to follow. Here are my reasons for favoring that disposition. II. Context A. The legislative context [ 9 ] The relevant sections of the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act are:
Protection of officers acting under law 1 An officer of the law, acting under theauthority and according to the requirementsand direction of
an Act of the Legislature, orof the Parliament of Canada, shall not besubject to an attachment, action, suit, fine orimprisonment for or by reason of any act orthing done by him or her under and by virtueof that Act. Defence of officer 2 In an action, suit or proceeding for, byreason of, or in consequence of any matteror thing done under and according to theprovisions of any such Act, it is a gooddefence that the same was done under andaccording to the provisions of that Act; andthe subject matter of the defence may begiven in evidence under the general issue, orother defence to the action, suit orproceeding.
Protection des fonctionnaires chargés del’exécution de la loi 1 Les auxiliaires de justice qui agissent sousl’autorité et en conformité avec lesprescriptions et les instructions d’une loi dela Législature ou du Parlement du Canada nepeuvent faire l’objet d’une contrainte parcorps, d’une action, d’un procès, d’uneamende ou d’une peine d’emprisonnementen raison d’un acte ou d’une chose qu’ils ontaccomplis en vertu de cette loi.
Défense du fonctionnaire 2 Dans une action, un procès ou une instanceengagé en raison ou par suite d’une chose oud’un acte accompli en vertu et en conformitéavec les dispositions d’une loi, constitue unmoyen de défense valable le fait que cettechose ou cet acte a été accompli en vertu eten conformité avec les dispositions de cetteloi.
Les faits constituant cette défensepeuvent être représentés en preuve lors de ladénégation générale ou lors de toute autredéfense opposée à une action, à un procès ouà une instance. [10] The motion judge correctly pointed out these provisions do not grant immunity from suit for all tortiousconduct by police investigators: The history of the [Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act] in various but similar forms to current legislation extends back to1870 and has been employed repeatedly over the years to render immune from suit those acting in good faith under authority of statute.See: Warren v McLean (1923), (NB CA), 50 N.B.R. 426 (NBSC Appeal Div.).
To the same effect, see: Boucher vMilner (1997), (NB CA), 194 NBR (2d) 59 (N.B.C.A.); Greene v. Province of New Brunswick et al., 2014 NBQB168 (N.B.Q.B.) at paragraphs 134-135 and 142 to name just a few. […] Of course, that legal immunity is not unbridled. As has been previously noted, there are instances in which investigators have acted inbad faith, fraudulently, collusively, deliberately exceeded their jurisdiction or engaged in malicious prosecution. In such cases theimmunity blanket of the [Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act] is stripped from the defendant officer(
s) arsenal of potentialdefences to such claims: Boucher at paragraph 11. None of that sort of behaviour, that is, exhibiting mala fides, would be protected fromcivil liability. Most importantly, none of that sort of activity is directly alleged to have happened here.
Indeed, the general nature of thesubstantive allegations levelled against both officers in the Statement of Claim is that their investigative work fell below thereasonableness standard for police investigators. [paras. 37 and 40] [11] The appellant did not plead the police investigators acted in bad faith, fraudulently, collusively, deliberatelyexceeded their jurisdiction or engaged in malicious prosecution. The action against them was for damages for the tort of negligentinvestigation, which is part of Canadian common law since Hill v.
Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Police Services Board, 2007 SCC 41,[2007] 3 S.C.R. 129, a case out of Ontario. That decision has no bearing on the application of suit immunity legislation, such as theProtection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act. [12]
Section 17 of the Police Act provides:
Liability of municipality for torts of police officer 17
(1) A municipality is liable in respect of a tort committed by a member of the police force in the performance or purported performance of his or her responsibilities under
section 12 in the same manner as a master is liable in respect of a tort committed by the master’s servant in the course of the servant’s employment […] 17
(2) A municipality may, in such cases and to such extent as it thinks fit, pay any damages or costs awarded against a member of a police force in respect of a tort committed by him in the performance or purported performance of his responsibilities under
section 12, any costs incurred and not recovered by him in any such proceedings and any sum required in connection with the settlement of any claim that has or might have given rise to such proceedings. Responsabilité municipale en cas de délit civil par un agent de police 17
(1) Une municipalité répond, de la même manière qu’un maître est responsable d’un délit civil commis par son serviteur dans l’exercice de ses fonctions, d’un délit civil commis par un membre du corps de police dans l’exercice effectif ou présumé de ses attributions en vertu de l’article 12 […] 17
(2) Une municipalité peut, dans les cas et dans la mesure où elle l’estime approprié, payer tous les dommages-intérêts ou dépens mis à la charge d’un membre d’un corps de police dans une procédure civile intentée à son encontre à raison d’un délit civil qu’il a commis dans l’exercice réel ou présumé de ses attributions en vertu de l’article 12, tous les frais supportés et non recouvrés par lui dans une telle procédure ainsi que toute somme requise pour régler toute demande d’indemnisation qui a donné lieu ou aurait pu donner lieu à cette procédure. [ 13 ] For the sake of convenience, the pertinent Rules are reproduced below:
23.01 Where Available
(1) The plaintiff or a defendant may, at any time before the action is set down for trial, apply to the court (
a) for the determination prior to trial, of any question of law raised by a pleading in the action where the determination of that question may dispose of the action, shorten the trial, or result in a substantial saving of costs, (
b) to strike out a pleading which does not disclose a reasonable cause of action or defence, or […] 37.10 Disposition of Motion On the hearing of a motion, the court may allow or dismiss the motion or adjourn the hearing, with or without terms; or, in the alternative or in addition, may direct (
a) in a proper case, that the motion be converted into a motion for judgment, 23.01 Applicabilité
(1) Le demandeur ou le défendeur peut, avant la mise au rôle de l’action, demander à la cour
a) que toute question de droit soulevée par une plaidoirie dans l’action en cours soit tranchée avant le procès, si la solution de cette question peut régler le litige, abréger le procès ou réduire considérablement les frais,
b) qu’une plaidoirie qui ne révèle aucune cause d’action ni de défense raisonnable soit radiée ou […] 37.10 Décision À l’audition d’une motion, la cour peut accorder celle-ci, la rejeter ou ajourner l’audience avec ou sans conditions. La cour peut prescrire en outre ou dans l’alternative
a) que la motion soit transformée en une motion pour jugement, s’il y a lieu, B. Non-legislative circumstances [ 14 ] In the Notices of Motion, both sets of defendants refer to Rule 23.01(1)(a), but only Cpl. Lord and The City of Fredericton set out the question of law to be determined, namely whether the claims are barred by the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act . Nonetheless, both sets of defendants seek an order striking the Amended Statement of Claim for failure to disclose a reasonable cause of action (Rule 23.01(1)(b)) and articulate the grounds relied on for that relief.
In my view, the appeal can be determined solely on the basis of the motion to strike. In that regard, it bears emphasizing that none of the disputed allegations of fact have been judicially settled.
However, for the purposes of disposing of the motion to strike, those allegations are deemed established and provide the background, admittedly theoretical to a significant extent, against which the appeal stands to be determined. [ 15 ] The appellant was, at all material times, a barrister and solicitor, and a member of the Law Society of New Brunswick. [ 16 ] The City of Bathurst is a municipality with its own police force.
André Comeau was, at all material times, a member of the Bathurst Police Force acting in the course of his duties as a police officer. [ 17 ] The City of Fredericton is also a municipality with its own police force. Mark Lord was, at all material times, a member of the Fredericton Police Force acting in the course of his duties as a police officer. [ 18 ] In 2006, Frank Branch was fired from the North Shore Forest Products Marketing Board. Mr. Branch was charged with a criminal offence in relation to the conduct that allegedly justified his dismissal. He also instituted a civil suit against the
Board for wrongful dismissal and defamation, and the Board counterclaimed for damages. The appellant was counsel for Mr. Branch in respect of both civil and criminal proceedings. [ 19 ] In December 2009, the appellant attended at the Bathurst courthouse for the preliminary inquiry into the charges against Mr. Branch. At that time, Alain Landry was the manager of the Board. On December 10, 2009, the appellant met with Mr. Landry in the hallway outside the hearing room to discuss informal terms for settling the civil suit against the Board. [ 20 ] The appellant handed Mr.
Landry a handwritten note entitled “Offer to Settle”. He explained to Mr. Landry a possible settlement of the civil matter and that, if it could be settled, he would attempt to negotiate with the Crown to have the latter “offer no evidence” at Mr. Branch’s criminal trial. The appellant did not suggest Mr. Landry or the Board would have any role in resolving the criminal charges. The resolution of the civil matter in Mr. Branch’s favor would, however, place the appellant in a better position to negotiate with the Crown for a favorable resolution of the criminal charges. [ 21 ] The appellant left the offer with Mr.
Landry, inviting him to provide it to, and discuss it with, the Board and its legal counsel. The offer was never accepted and the appellant heard nothing further in relation to this offer from Mr. Landry, the Board or its lawyers. [ 22 ] On December 11, 2009, Mr. Landry met with counsel for the Board, to discuss the hallway meeting and settlement offer. Mr. Landry also gave counsel the handwritten note marked “Offer to Settle”. [ 23 ] A week later, Mr. Landry went to the Bathurst Police Force to file a complaint.
He alleged the appellant had attempted to obstruct justice when they met in the hallway on December 10, 2009. Mr. Landry claimed that during the meeting in the hallway the appellant said: “They’re your witnesses, make sure that they don’t testify and the Crown won’t have a case”, or similar words, in substance, to the effect that the appellant was attempting to have Mr. Landry dissuade witnesses in the criminal matter from giving evidence against Mr. Branch. The appellant did not say these words, or any other words directed at dissuading witnesses from giving evidence, or requesting Mr.
Landry to do so. [ 24 ] The defendant, André Comeau, handled the complaint. He interviewed Mr. Landry and made some notes but did not record an initial statement. Mr. Landry provided Sgt. Comeau a copy of the “Offer to Settle” handwritten note and advised that counsel for the Board had the original note. The Bathurst Police Force transferred the complaint to the Fredericton Police Force because of the former’s involvement in the prosecution of Mr. Branch. [ 25 ] In early February 2010, the Fredericton Police Force assigned the defendant, Cpl. Mark Lord, as lead investigator. Cpl.
Lord was a polygraphist. [ 26 ] After being briefed by Sgt. Comeau, Cpl. Lord prepared a General Occurrence Report summarizing his understanding of the case. There were material errors in the information provided by Sgt. Comeau and/or in Cpl. Lord’s understanding of that information. [ 27 ] On February 23, 2010, Mr. Landry gave a KGB statement to Cpl. Lord. Although the Branch criminal and civil proceedings were critical features of the background in the charge against the appellant, Cpl. Lord made no effort to inform himself of these proceedings. Rather, he took Mr.
Landry, a person with no relevant knowledge or experience, at his word regarding his perception that the settlement structure proposed by the appellant was unethical and/or illegal. [ 28 ] On February 23, 2010, Cpl. Lord met with the Board’s counsel, who provided a handwritten statement. He was a critical witness for corroborating or contradicting Mr. Landry’s version of events because he met with Mr. Landry the day after the alleged offence. Cpl. Lord did not ask questions of counsel regarding his recollection of the meeting with Mr. Landry.
As well, he did not ask questions regarding counsel’s treatment of the settlement offer, his referral of the matter to a lawyer more experienced in criminal matters, and any other actions taken by counsel. Cpl. Lord either did not seize the original “Offer to Settle” from counsel, or lost this document after it was seized. [ 29 ] On March 30 and April 1, 2010, Cpl. Lord took KGB witness statements from Linda Gould-MacDonald. Ms. Gould-MacDonald was the Executive Director of the New Brunswick Forest Products Commission and was in charge of the Board’s
investigation into Mr. Branch. She was in close proximity to the appellant and Mr. Landry during the initial part of the hallway meeting and spoke to Mr. Landry immediately following the meeting. Cpl. Lord did not ask Ms. Gould-MacDonald questions regarding her observations of the hallway meeting, her conversation with Mr. Landry following the meeting, and what, if anything, she did or thought about these encounters afterward. [ 30 ] On September 9, 2011, the appellant attended, at the request of Cpl. Lord, the Saint John Police Station where he was arrested upon arrival.
Until his arrest, the appellant had no notion whatsoever that he was alleged to have committed a criminal offence. In his mind, the discussion in the hallway with Mr. Landry on December 10, 2009 had been a routine and unremarkable settlement offer and he had thought little of it since it was never mentioned again until his arrest. [ 31 ] At any rate, the appellant provided a KGB statement in which he explained that, during the hallway meeting with Mr. Landry, he stated that, as part of the settlement offer, he would approach the Crown and determine if they would be willing to “offer no evidence”.
He asserted this was what was meant by the phrase “offer no evidence” on the written “Offer to Settle” a n d that this phrase was frequently used by lawyers to mean exactly what the appellant described, and is a proper and normal way of resolving criminal charges. The appellant denied asking Mr. Landry to dissuade witnesses from giving evidence and provided an explanation for Mr. Landry’s possible motivation to discredit him; the appellant advised he had been pursuing the Board for audited financial statements for years and that he believed certain members of the Board, including Mr.
Landry, may have mishandled or misappropriated Board fu n ds . The appellant indicated he intended to quest i on witnesses at Mr. Branch’s tr i al on these financial irregularities. The appellant also stated h e did not pressure or influence Mr. Landry with respect to the crimina l charges and that it would have been useless to do so because Mr. Landry would have no influence over it. [ 32 ] During the course of the appellant’s KGB statement, Cpl. Lord acknowledged he had no proof that justice was obstructed. Cpl.
Lord did not pursue any further investigation and did not follow up on any of the points raised by the appellant in his KGB statement. [ 33 ] On November 25, 2011, Cpl. Lord swo r e an information charging the appellant with “attempt[ing] to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice in a judicial proceeding by attempting to dissuade a person by threats, bribes or other corrupt means from giving evidence”, an offence under s. 139(2) of the Criminal Code . [ 34 ] On January 31, 2013, following a trial, at which Mr.
Landry and the appellant provided contradictory evidence regarding the December 10, 2009 meeting, a judge of the Provincial Court convicted the appellant. On September 9, 2014, this Court set aside the conviction and ordered a new trial. As a result, the appellant regained the presumption of innocence. [ 35 ] The trial began on November 16, 2015. The prosecut i on offered no evidence, and the appellant was promptly acquitted. [ 36 ] In the Amended Statement of Claim, the appellant alleges “his being charged, arrested, and wrongfully convicted” was caused by Sgt.
Comeau’s negligence in failing to obtain an in i t i al recorded statement from Mr. Landry when he first made the complaint, in failing to inquire into details and surrounding circumstances regarding the December 10, 2009 meeting in the courthouse hallway and in relying on Mr. Landry’s statement that the appellant had obstructed just i ce rather than independently forming an opinion. The appellant also alleges “his being charged, arrested, and wrongfully convicted” was caused by Cpl. Lord’s negligence, particulars of which include: (1) failing to inquire into the details of Board counsel’s meeting with Mr.
Landry the day after the alleged offence; (2) failing to inquire into the details of Ms. Gould-MacDonald’s observations of the hallway meeting and her subsequent conversation with Mr. Landry; (3) relying entirely on Mr. Landry’s statements and completely discounting what the appellant said in his KGB statement, without seeking evidence to corroborate or refute either statement; and (4) arresting and/or swearing an information against the appellant without reasonable and probable grounds. I hasten to emphasize that even the last allegation is put forward as no more than a particular of negligence.
To be plain, the action is not founded on the torts of false arrest or malicious prosecution. [ 37 ] The appellant asserts, as well, the City of Bathurst is vicariously liable at common law and pursuant to s. 17 of the Police Act for Sgt. Comeau’s negligence, and directly liable for failing to proper l y supervise him. He does likewise for The City of Fredericton with respect to Cpl. Lord, adding it is also directly liable for failing to appoint a more experienced officer as i nvestigator. [ 38 ] As noted, there is no appeal against the judgment dismissing the action against Sgt. Comeau and Cpl. Lord.
As a result, the issue requiring determination is whether the Amended Statement of Claim against the respondent municipalities was properly struck on the basis of its failure to disclose a reasonable cause of action, despite the pleas of vicarious and direct liability adumbrated in the preceding paragraph. In my respectful view, the motion judge did not err in striking the Amended Statement of Claim against the respondents and in granting judgment pursuant to Rule 37.10(a). It is for this fundamental reason that I joined my colleagues in dismissing the appeal from the Bench.
III. Analysis and Decision [39] I begin with the appellant’s submission that reversal is warranted because the motion judge’s decision is basedon Rule 22 considerations that are foreign to the determination of motions under Rules 23.01(1)(
a) and (b), and Rule 37.10(a). Under ourRules of Court, where relief is granted under Rules 23.01(1)(
a) or (b), judgment does not automatically follow. Indeed, an amendment tothe pleadings might cure the problem and breathe life into the action or defence, hence the option, in a proper case, of a conversion orderand judgment pursuant to Rule 37.10(a). For statement of claim purposes, that relief is warranted where no amendment giving rise to areasonable cause of action is appropriate. An order converting a motion for relief under Rules 23.01(1)(
a) and (
b) into a motion forjudgment under Rule 37.10(
a) does not bring Rule 22 into play (see, for example, Kulas (Litigation guardian of) v. Markis, (ON SC), [1999] O.J. No. 4909 (S.C.J.) (QL), at para. 15). [40] Where, as here, the losing party on the motion for relief under Rule 23.01(1)(
b) is an experienced litigator whodeclined to seek leave to amend his carefully drafted pleading, by adding an allegation of conduct falling outside the protective umbrellaof the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act, judgment is a mere formality, wholly unrelated to evidentiary considerations.
Inthose circumstances, it is indisputably appropriate to grant judgment under Rule 37.10(a), thereby sparing the parties the cost of a formalfollow-up motion to achieve that outcome. [41] It is trite law, as the appellant underscores, that the determination of a motion to strike a pleading stands to bemade in accordance with the highly forgiving and accommodating test articulated in Hunt v. Carey Canada Inc., (CSC),[1990] 2 S.C.R. 959, [1990] S.C.J. No. 93 (QL). Neither Hryniak v. Mauldin, 2014 SCC 7, [2014] 1 S.C.R. 87, nor O’Toole v. Peterson,2018 NBCA 8, [2018] N.B.J. No. 58 (QL), both
summary judgment cases referenced by the motion judge, have changed the governingtest. That said, I have carefully reviewed the motion judge’s decision and unhesitatingly conclude he uses the expression “summaryjudgment” as a plain-speak means of describing what he was being asked to grant and what he chose to grant, namely a judgment basedon the pleadings and the applicable law in accordance with Rule 37.10(a). Judges will occasionally make incidental and unnecessaryobservations in the course of delivering their reasons for decision.
However, appeals lie from the decision, not against any suchobservation (see Veno v. United General Insurance Corporation, 2008 NBCA 39, 330 N.B.R. (2d) 237). Despite the references to case-law under Rule 22, the judge acknowledged the test formulated in Hunt v. Carey Canada Inc. was controlling in determining the motionto strike under Rule 23.01(1)(b). There is no merit to the complaint that the motion judge disposed of the motions at issue on the basis ofRule 22. The pivotal issue on the appeal is whether the judgment pursuant to Rule 37.10(
a) in favor of the respondent municipalities isthe product of reversible error. [42] The appeal, as argued, turns on the answers to three legal questions: (1) can direct liability be imposed on amunicipality for failing to supervise a police investigation into an alleged criminal offence and/or for failure to appoint a more competentinvestigator?; (2) may a municipality be found vicariously liable at common law for the negligence of one of its police officers inconducting such an investigation?; and (3) where the action against municipal police investigators is foreclosed by statute, can theirmunicipalities be held liable pursuant to s. 17 of the Police Act?
My answer is “no” for each question. A. Direct liability [43] In my view, civil liability cannot be imposed on a municipality for failure to appoint competent criminalinvestigators or to supervise an investigation under the Criminal Code by one of its police officers. It has no authority over, and nobusiness getting involved in, those matters. On that score, I make mine the following remarks by the motion judge: In addition, the Police Act of this province at
Section 3.1(2)(
c) vests further power in police investigators in that it specifically prohibitsthe civic authority under whose management police officers work from issuing instructions on the day-to-day work of those policeofficers. It reads: 3.1(2) A civic authority (
c) shall issue instructions as necessary to the chief of police but not to any other member of the police force andthe instructions issued shall not be in respect to specific operational decisions or not in respect of the day-to-day operations of the policeforce. [para. 38] B. Vicarious liability at common law [44] A municipality is not vicariously liable at common law for negligence in the conduct of police investigationsfor offences under the Criminal Code: McCleave v. City of Moncton (1902), (SCC), 32 S.C.R. 106, [1902] S.C.J. No. 9(QL). This well-settled and longstanding proposition provides a complete answer to the allegation that the respondents are vicariously
liable at common law. Hill v. Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Police Services Board has not changed immunity law, at least with respectto municipalities in this province. C. Vicarious Liability pursuant to s. 17 of the Police Act [45] A municipality is liable under s. 17(1) of the Police Act for a “tort” committed by one of its police officers inthe performance or purported performance of his or her duties. In this specific statutory context, and as a matter of
interpretation inaccordance with the contextual approach adopted in Rizzo & Rizzo Shoes Ltd. (Re), (CSC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 27, [1998]S.C.J. No. 2 (QL), “tort” in the English version of s. 17 means more than a wrong simpliciter; it means a wrong that is actionable. I sayso for the following closely related reasons. [46] First, the express condition for municipal liability under s. 17(1) is the commission of a “tort”, not just a wrong.The difference between the two concepts is well known and is forcefully underscored in Angus v. Sun Alliance Insurance Co., (CSC), [1988] 2 S.C.R. 256, [1988] S.C.J.
No. 75 (QL), albeit in a different statutory context. In that case, the main issue waswhether provisions of the Family Law Reform Act, 1975, S.O. 1975, c. 41, which allowed spouses to bring an action in tort against oneanother, operated retrospectively. If they did, the respondent in the appeal was entitled to bring an action against her husband for injuriesshe sustained in a motor vehicle accident resulting from his negligence. At the time of the accident, s. 7 of the Married Women’sProperty Act, R.S.O. 1970, c. 262, precluded an action by one spouse against the other for a “tort”.
The Supreme Court of Canada ruledagainst the retrospective operation of the pertinent provisions of the Family Law Reform Act. [47] In the course of delivering the judgment of the Court, La Forest J. made helpful observations on the meaning ofthe word “tort”: The initial propositions recited by Galligan J. regarding retrospective effects are unexceptionable. There is a presumption that statutes donot operate with retrospective effect. “Procedural” provisions, however, are not subject to the presumption. To the contrary, they arepresumed to operate retrospectively; see E.A.
Driedger, Construction of Statutes (2nd ed. 1983), at pp. 202-3; Howard Smith Paper MillsLtd. v. The Queen, (SCC), [1957] S.C.R. 403. The distinction between substantive and procedural provisions, however, is far from clear. Thus, in the present context, Jessup J.A. in[Manning v. Howard, [1975] O.J. No. 2350 (QL)], determined that s. 7 was a procedural provision. This was done largely on the basis ofLord Denning’s judgment in Broom v. Morgan, [1953] 1 Q.B. 597 (C.A.).
Broom concerned the vicarious liability of an employer forinjuries suffered by a woman due to the negligence of her husband when both husband and wife were employees of the defendant. TheEnglish legislation in question in Broom was essentially identical to that in issue here. Lord Denning had this to say, at pp. 609-10, aboutthe husband’s primary liability: It is plain, to my mind, that the husband owed a duty to everyone lawfully in the house to use reasonable care, and that he was negligentso far as all of them were concerned, including his wife.
If the barman fell down the hole and was injured, the husband would clearly beguilty of a tort and be liable for the damage. So he is when his wife falls down the hole. The only difference is that by statute she is notpermitted to sue him for it. His immunity does not rest on the theory that husband and wife are one. That fiction has no longer any placein our law. His immunity nowadays rests simply on the wording of
section 12 of the Married Women’s Property Act, 1882, which ispreserved in this respect by
section 1 of the Act of 1935. That
section disables the wife from suing her husband for a tort in much thesame way as the Statute of Frauds prevents a party from suing on a contract which is not in writing; but it does not alter the fact that thehusband has been guilty of a tort. His immunity is a mere rule of procedure and not a rule of substantive law. It is an immunity from suitand not an immunity from duty or liability. With respect, the concluding distinction made by Lord Denning strikes me as artificial. There seems to be little content to a “liability”that is unenforceable.
Lord Denning states that the husband has in fact committed a tort, though by operation of the “procedural”provision he simply cannot be held accountable for it. This position seems insupportable. In Maxwell v. Callbeck, (SCC), [1939] S.C.R. 440, the plaintiff, while driving a motorcycle, was injured in a collision with the defendant’s automobile inAlberta. The accident occurred on October 30, 1936, and the plaintiff brought action in negligence against the defendant on October 12,1937.
This Court agreed with the trial judge that the plaintiff was the author of his own misfortune but it further held that even if he werenot solely at fault, his negligence had contributed to the collision. At the time of the accident, the common law prohibition againstapportionment of liability among tortfeasors had not been removed. However, in the interval between the accident and the time when theaction was brought, the province had enacted The Contributory Negligence Act, S.A. 1937, c. 18, which provided for suchapportionment, and the plaintiff contended that he was entitled to rely on its provisions.
The Court, however, briefly dismissed theargument on the basis of the “well established” rule of prospective application of statutes. If Lord Denning’s argument were accepted, acase like Maxwell would have to be decided otherwise, since by contributing to the accident the contributory tortfeasor certainlycommitted a wrong; at common law he was simply not liable for it.
This example in my view exposes the poverty of the attempted distinction between a liability and its enforcement. A “tort” is a legalconstruct and is not to be confused with a “wrong” in the general sense. It only exists where the law says it exists, i.e., where the lawprovides a remedy. While an action may not entail legal liability and yet be “wrong” in many senses, it is only wrong in the senserequired by Lord Denning’s argument if it is actionable. [pp. 262-64] [Emphasis added.] [48] Second, as a general rule, the word “tort” when used in legislation is a technical legal term that means anactionable wrong.
In Lawson v. Wellesley Hospital, (ON CA), [1975] O.J. No. 2443 (C.A.) (QL), affirmed (CSC), [1978] 1 S.C.R. 893, [1977] S.C.J. No. 83 (QL), the issue was whether s. 59 of the Mental Health Act of Ontario (R.S.O.1970, c. 269) barred an action against the defendant hospital for injuries caused to a patient by negligence on the part of the hospital andits servants.
Section 59 provided: “No action lies against any psychiatric facility or any officer, employee or servant thereof for a tort ofany patient” (emphasis added). A five-judge majority in the Supreme Court of Canada concluded it was unnecessary to determine “inwhat sense the word ‘tort’ is meant”.
However, the majority did not disagree with the views on point expressed by Pigeon J. writing for aquartet of justices concurring in the majority opinion that s. 59 had no application to an action for loss sustained by a patient by reason ofnegligence on the part of the hospital and its servants: Phelan, Co.Ct.J., held that the defendant hospital, the appellant in this Court, being a “psychiatric facility”, this enactment barred anaction against it for injuries caused by a patient although this action is founded not on the allegation of any tort committed by the patient,but of negligence of the hospital and of its servants.
He said: Having in mind the legislation in which
Section 59 appears, namely, the Mental Health Act, and that the protection afforded by thissection is to a psychiatric facility which has the care and treatment of persons suffering from mental disorders, that is, from diseases ordisabilities of the mind, if the word “tort” in that
section were given a restricted meaning, covering only those situations where liabilitywould attach to the patient, if sued, we would have the anomalous result that a psychiatric facility would have the benefit of the
section ifthe patient were capable of the intention to commit the tort, but not otherwise. Such an
interpretation would surely defeat the verypurpose and spirit of the section. The true intent meaning and spirit of
Section 59 in my view is that in those cases where a plaintiff’s cause of action against thepsychiatric facility results from some wrongful act on the part of a patient causing damage to another, even though the patient may notbe legally liable for such act, the action against the facility is absolutely barred. To reject this reasoning it might suffice to point out that there is no anomalous result if the enactment is read literally. Accepting, as thelearned judge did, that there can be no vicarious liability for an injurious act of a mental incompetent (Buckley v.
Smith Transport Ltd.[ (ON CA), [1946] O.R. 798]), the result of the enactment is simply that the facility is declared to be in the samesituation whether or not the patient is mentally incompetent: it is not liable for the tort of a patient any more than for his injurious actthat is not a tort. Of course, this is of no assistance to the hospital in the instant case. But s. 59 was, in fact, read by Phelan, Co.Ct.J., as ifit provided that there would be no liability for damages caused by a patient rather than for a “tort” of any patient. The Court of Appeal correctly disagreed with the
interpretation of “tort” otherwise than in its well-known legal meaning, citing theShorter Oxford Dictionary as terming the wider meaning “obsolete”. However they went along with the view that if the act of the patientwas a “tort”, s. 59 barred any claim against the hospital even for its own negligence. Dubin J.A. said: Although the proposition that under no circumstances could a hospital be held vicariously liable for the tort of a patient may beoverstated, I am satisfied that as a general principle it is sound.
I am inclined to the view, therefore, that what was intended by theLegislature was not merely to relieve a hospital of liability in those cases in which at common law there would be no liability, but to baran action which may have previously been successfully brought against the hospital where, by reason of its own negligence or breach ofduty, someone suffers injury by reason of a tort of a psychiatric patient. To hold otherwise would render s. 59 of little avail, if any, to thehospital under such circumstances and would thereby render it for all practical purposes nugatory.
Thus, under the judgment of the Court of Appeal, the result of s. 59 would be that the hospital would be free from liability for damagescaused by a patient owing to its negligence if the patient was mentally competent, but not otherwise because then it would not be a “tort”of a patient. […]
The enactment under consideration is concise and precise. It is in words having a definite legal meaning. “Tort” is now used only in its well known legal meaning of a wrongful act, for which an action lies, as distinguished from a contract . […][pp. 900-01 and 903] [Emphasis added.] [ 49 ] Third, while non-jurists are not expected to understand, let alone employ, the word “tort”, they would, if queried on the subject, conclude the Legislature used the word in s. 17(1) of the Police Act in a technical legal sense.
In that regard, I note “tort” is defined in Canadian Oxford Dictionary (Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1998), as a “breach of duty (other than under contract) for which damages can be obtained in a civil court by the person wronged”. When it included the word “tort” in s. 17(1), the Legislature must be taken to have been alive to the longstanding immunity for negligence conferred on police officers by the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act . Since it did not amend the latter statute, the Legislature must have intended s. 17(1) would apply to a “tort” for which there is no statutory immunity.
As noted by the motion judge, there is no immunity under the Protection of Persons Acting Under Statute Act where police investigators have acted in bad faith, fraudulently, collusively, deliberately exceeded their jurisdiction or engaged in malicious prosecution. There does not appear to be any valid reason for excluding the torts of false arrest and false imprisonment from that list.
In that regard, recall s. 17(1)’s scope of application is broad, embracing conduct in the course of the performance or purported performance of police duties. [ 50 ] Fourth, “tort” is equated to “délit civil” in the French version of s. 17(1). As I understand the expression “délit civil”, it is sufficiently broad to encompass both intentional and unintentional wrongs.
However, in both instances, “délit civil” refers to wrongs that are actionable (see the legal definition of “délit civil” in Le Grand Robert de la langue française , 2nd ed. (Paris: Dictionnaires le Robert, 2001), at p. 1173). [ 51 ] Finally, and most importantly, s. 17(2) states that “in such cases”, that is to say cases under s. 17(1), the municipality may offer compensation for damages or costs “awarded”, costs incurred “and not recovered […] in any such proceedings” and any settlement of any claim “that has or might have given rise to such proceedings.” Section 17(2) is premised on the availability of legal proceedings for the “tort” and, as such, it provides contextual confirmation that the word “tort” in s. 17(1) refers to an actionable wrong.
There is no such wrong here and, therefore, no “tort” within the meaning of s. 17(1). It follows liability cannot be attributed to the respondent municipalities under that provision. [ 52 ] In the result, I agree with the motion judge’s finding that the Amended Statement of Claim does not disclose a reasonable cause of action against the respondents. In my view, the judge prescribed the right disposition when he struck the Amended Statement of Claim, converted the primary motions into motions for judgment under Rule 37.10(
a) and granted judgment dismissing the action. IV. Conclusion [ 53 ] It is for the reasons fleshed out in the preceding text that I joined my colleagues in dismissing the appeal from the Bench. I would wrap up the proceedings by ordering the appellant pay costs on appeal of $2,500 to each respondent. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE DRAPEAU I.
Introduction et résumé [1] Par suite de la plainte déposée par un citoyen et de l’enquête effectuée par des agents de police des municipalités intimées, l’appelant a été accusé d’avoir tenté d’entraver le cours de la justice, soit l’infraction prévue au par. 139(2) du Code criminel , L.R.C. 1985, ch. C-46 . Il a subi son procès et été reconnu coupable par un juge de la Cour provinciale. En appel, notre Cour a annulé la déclaration de culpabilité et ordonné la tenue d’un nouveau procès : Gillis c. R. , 2014 NBCA 58 , 426 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1 .
L’omission du ministère public de présenter de la preuve lors du nouveau procès a mené à l’acquittement de l’appelant. [2] Il a ensuite intenté l’action en dommages-intérêts sous-jacente contre les enquêteurs et les intimées, alléguantque l’enquête a été effectuée de manière négligente et que, n’eût été cette négligence, il n’aurait pas été accusé, jugé et reconnucoupable.
Dans son exposé de la demande modifié, l’appelant prétendait que les deux municipalités étaient responsables d’avoir omis desuperviser comme il se doit l’enquête et que The City of Fredericton était également responsable d’avoir omis de nommer un enquêteursuffisamment expérimenté. L’appelant soutenait en outre que les municipalités étaient responsables du fait d’autrui en common law del’enquête négligente de leurs agents respectifs et responsables en application de l’art. 17 de la
Loi sur la police, L.N.-B. 1977, ch. P-9.2,qui prévoit qu’une municipalité répond d’un « délit civil » commis par l’un de ses agents de police dans l’exercice effectif ou présumé deses attributions. Fait révélateur, l’appelant n’a pas allégué que les agents avaient agi de mauvaise foi, car, comme il l’a expliqué lors del’audition de l’appel, il serait difficile de prouver une telle allégation. [3] Dans leur exposé de la défense conjoint, The City of Fredericton et son agent ont nié l’allégation d’enquêtenégligente et ont affirmé que, de toute façon, ils jouissaient d’une immunité au
titre de la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées del’exécution de la loi, L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 210. La City of Bathurst et son agent ont fait de même dans leur exposé de la défense modifié.Les deux municipalités ont affirmé qu’elles ne pouvaient pas, en droit, être tenues directement responsables, comme il était allégué, niêtre tenues responsables du fait d’autrui, étant donné l’immunité d’origine législative contre les poursuites dont jouissent les agents depolice. The City of Fredericton et son agent ont demandé, en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)
a) des Règles de procédure, que la question dedroit suivante soit tranchée : la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi interdisait-elle les demandesprésentées contre eux? Les deux parties défenderesses ont demandé à la Cour de rendre, en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)b), une ordonnanceradiant l’exposé de la demande modifié au motif qu’il ne révélait aucune cause d’action raisonnable, étant donné l’immunité prévue parla
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi. Elles ont également sollicité une ordonnance transformant lesmotions en motions pour jugement au
titre de la règle 37.10a). [4] Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a conclu que les agents jouissaient d’une immunité contre lapoursuite en négligence intentée par l’appelant, au
titre de la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi. De cefait, l’exposé de la demande modifié ne révélait aucune cause d’action raisonnable contre eux. Ce fut en outre le cas en ce qui concerneles municipalités, parce qu’elles ne pouvaient pas, en droit, être tenues responsables, ni directement ni du fait d’autrui. En conséquence,le juge a transformé les motions en « jugement
sommaire » en motions pour jugement en vertu de la règle 37.10a), et il a rejeté l’action contre toutes les parties défenderesses (voir Gillis c. City of Bathurst et al., 2019 NBQB 6 , 2019 NBBR 6, [2019] A.N.-B. no 5(QL), au par. 62). [5] Aucun appel n’a été interjeté relativement au rejet, sur le fondement de leur immunité contre les poursuitesprévue par la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi, de l’action intentée contre les enquêteurs. Parconséquent, il serait pardonnable de penser que la doctrine de la préclusion pour même question en litige empêcherait l’appelant deremettre en cause la question dans le cadre du présent appel.
Aucune des intimées n’a cependant invoqué le point. [6] Il est allégué dans l’avis d’appel que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit : (1) en rejetantl’action en négligence intentée contre les municipalités intimées; (2) en omettant de conclure que la police dans notre province ne jouitpas d’une immunité contre la responsabilité à l’égard du délit d’enquête négligente; et (3) en omettant de conclure qu’une municipalitérépond d’un délit civil commis par l’un de ses agents de police, même si cet agent ne peut pas être poursuivi du fait qu’il jouit d’uneimmunité d’origine législative.
Le dernier moyen d’appel fait entrer en jeu l’art. 17 de la
Loi sur la police. Préoccupée par l’omission dujuge saisi de la motion d’interpréter et d’aborder en profondeur l’incidence de cette disposition, chacune des intimées a déposé un avis dedésaccord dans lequel elle affirme que la décision du juge de rejeter l’action peut également être maintenue sur le fondement quel’art. 17 leur accorde [TRADUCTION] « une immunité contre les poursuites ». [7] À l’audience, l’appelant a ajouté une autre objection : selon lui, la décision frappée d’appel est viciée parl’omission du juge saisi de la motion de faire la distinction entre un jugement visé par la règle 37.10a) et un jugement
sommaire visé parla règle 22. À cet égard, l’appelant cite des exemples dans les motifs de la décision où le terme « jugement
sommaire » est employé pourdésigner la nature de la mesure de redressement qui a été sollicitée puis accordée. Bien entendu, si le juge était appelé à trancher unedemande de jugement
sommaire visée par la règle 22, l’appelant aurait eu droit de recevoir un avis en bonne et due forme et de présenterune preuve, ce à quoi il n’avait pas droit dans le cas d’une demande prévue par les règles 23.01(1)
a) ou b). [8] Après avoir entendu l’appelant, nous avons rejeté l’appel en précisant que les motifs suivraient. Voici mes motifsen faveur de ce dispositif. II. Contexte
A. Contexte législatif [9] Les articles pertinents de la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi sont lessuivants : Protection of officers acting under law 1 An officer of the law, acting under theauthority and according to the requirementsand direction of
an Act of the Legislature, orof the Parliament of Canada, shall not besubject to an attachment, action, suit, fine orimprisonment for or by reason of any act orthing done by him or her under and by virtueof that Act. Defence of officer 2 In an action, suit or proceeding for, byreason of, or in consequence of any matteror thing done under and according to theprovisions of any such Act, it is a gooddefence that the same was done under andaccording to the provisions of that Act; andthe subject matter of the defence may begiven in evidence under the general issue, orother defence to the action, suit orproceeding.
Protection des fonctionnaires chargés del’exécution de la loi 1 Les auxiliaires de justice qui agissent sousl’autorité et en conformité avec lesprescriptions et les instructions d’une loi dela Législature ou du Parlement du Canada nepeuvent faire l’objet d’une contrainte parcorps, d’une action, d’un procès, d’uneamende ou d’une peine d’emprisonnementen raison d’un acte ou d’une chose qu’ils ontaccomplis en vertu de cette loi.
Défense du fonctionnaire 2 Dans une action, un procès ou une instanceengagé en raison ou par suite d’une chose oud’un acte accompli en vertu et en conformitéavec les dispositions d’une loi, constitue unmoyen de défense valable le fait que cettechose ou cet acte a été accompli en vertu eten conformité avec les dispositions de cetteloi. Les faits constituant cette défensepeuvent être représentés en preuve lors de ladénégation générale ou lors de toute autredéfense opposée à une action, à un procès ouà une instance. [10] Le juge saisi de la motion a indiqué à juste
titre que ces dispositions n’accordent pas une immunité contre lespoursuites pour toutes les conduites délictueuses des enquêteurs de police : [TRADUCTION]L’historique de la [Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi] dans des formes diverses mais semblables à laloi actuelle remonte à 1870, et [cette loi] a été utilisé[e] à maintes reprises au fil des ans pour accorder l’immunité contre les poursuitesaux personnes agissant de bonne foi en vertu des pouvoirs que leur confère une loi. Voir : Warren c. McLean (1923), (NB CA), 50 N.B.R. 426 (C.S.N.-B., Div. d’appel).
Voir également, dans le même sens : Boucher c. Milner (1997), (NB CA), 194 R.N.-B. (2e) 59 (C.A.N.-B.); Greene c. Province of New Brunswick et autres, 2014 NBBR 168 (C.B.R.N.-B.), auxpar. 134, 135 et 142, pour ne citer que ces décisions. […] Bien entendu, cette immunité d’origine législative n’est pas illimitée. Comme je l’ai mentionné précédemment, il y a des cas où desenquêteurs ont agi de mauvaise foi ou de manière frauduleuse ou collusoire, ont délibérément outrepassé leur compétence ou ontparticipé à des poursuites malveillantes.
Dans tels cas, l’arsenal des moyens de défense de l’agent défendeur ou des agents défendeurspour opposer ces actions est dépouillé de l’immunité conférée par la [Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de laloi] : Boucher, au par. 11. Aucun de ces genres de comportements, à savoir un comportement qui dénote de la mauvaise foi, ne feraitl’objet de protection contre la responsabilité civile. Plus important encore, il n’est pas directement allégué qu’une activité de ce genre sesoit produite en l’espèce.
En effet, la nature générale des allégations de fond soulevées contre les deux agents dans l’exposé de lademande est que leur travail d’enquête ne respectait pas la norme de ce qui est raisonnable pour les enquêteurs de police. [par. 37 et 40]
[11] L’appelant n’a pas plaidé que les enquêteurs de police avaient agi de mauvaise foi ou de manière frauduleuse ou collusoire, avaient délibérément outrepassé leur compétence ou avaient participé à des poursuites malveillantes . L’action en dommages-intérêts intentée contre eux était fondée sur le délit d’enquête négligente, qui est reconnu en common law canadienne depuis Hill c. Commission des services policiers de la municipalité régionale de Hamilton-Wentworth , 2007 CSC 41 , [2007] 3 R.C.S. 129 , une affaire s’étant produite en Ontario. Cette décision n’a aucune incidence sur l’application de la législation en matière d’immunité des poursuites, comme la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi . [12] L’
article 17 de la
Loi sur la police est libellé ainsi : Liability of municipality for torts of police officer 17
(1) A municipality is liable in respect of a tort committed by a member of the police force in the performance or purported performance of his or her responsibilities under
section 12 in the same manner as a master is liable in respect of a tort committed by the master’s servant in the course of the servant’s employment […] 17
(2) A municipality may, in such cases and to such extent as it thinks fit, pay any damages or costs awarded against a member of a police force in respect of a tort committed by him in the performance or purported performance of his responsibilities under
section 12, any costs incurred and not recovered by him in any such proceedings and any sum required in connection with the settlement of any claim that has or might have given rise to such proceedings. Responsabilité municipale en cas de délit civil par un agent de police 17
(1) Une municipalité répond, de la même manière qu’un maître est responsable d’un délit civil commis par son serviteur dans l’exercice de ses fonctions, d’un délit civil commis par un membre du corps de police dans l’exercice effectif ou présumé de ses attributions en vertu de l’article 12 […] 17
(2) Une municipalité peut, dans les cas et dans la mesure où elle l’estime approprié, payer tous les dommages-intérêts ou dépens mis à la charge d’un membre d’un corps de police dans une procédure civile intentée à son encontre à raison d’un délit civil qu’il a commis dans l’exercice réel ou présumé de ses attributions en vertu de l’article 12, tous les frais supportés et non recouvrés par lui dans une telle procédure ainsi que toute somme requise pour régler toute demande d’indemnisation qui a donné lieu ou aurait pu donner lieu à cette procédure. [13] Par souci de commodité, voici les extraits des règles pertinentes :
23.01 Where Available
(1) The plaintiff or a defendant may, at any time before the action is set down for trial, apply to the court (
a) for the determination prior to trial, of any question of law raised by a pleading in the action where the determination of that question may dispose of the action, shorten the trial, or result in a substantial saving of costs, (
b) to strike out a pleading which does not disclose a reasonable cause of action or defence, or […] 37.10 Disposition of Motion On the hearing of a motion, the court may allow or dismiss the motion or adjourn the hearing, with or without terms; or, in the alternative or in addition, may direct (
a) in a proper case, that the motion be converted into a motion for judgment[.] 23.01 Applicabilité
(1) Le demandeur ou le défendeur peut, avant la mise au rôle de l’action, demander à la cour
a) que toute question de droit soulevée par une plaidoirie dans l’action en cours soit tranchée avant le procès, si la solution de cette question peut régler le litige, abréger le procès ou réduire considérablement les frais,
b) qu’une plaidoirie qui ne révèle aucune cause d’action ni de défense raisonnable soit radiée ou […] 37.10 Décision À l’audition d’une motion, la cour peut accorder celle-ci, la rejeter ou ajourner l’audience avec ou sans conditions. La cour peut prescrire en outre ou dans l’alternative
a) que la motion soit transformée en une motion pour jugement, s’il y a lieu[.] B. Circonstances non législatives [14] Dans les avis de motion, les deux parties défenderesses renvoient à la règle 23.01(1)a), mais seul le caporal Lord et The City of Fredericton énoncent la question de droit à trancher, à savoir si les actions sont irrecevables par application de la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi . Néanmoins, elles sollicitent une ordonnance radiant l’exposé de la demande modifié pour omission de révéler une cause d’action raisonnable (règle 23.01(1)b)) et formulent les moyens invoqués à l’appui de cette mesure de redressement. À mon avis, l’appel peut être tranché sur le seul fondement de la motion en radiation. À cet égard, il importe de souligner qu’aucune des allégations de fait contestées n’a été décidée judiciairement.
Toutefois, lorsqu’il s’agit de rendre une décision sur la motion en radiation, ces allégations sont réputées établies et elles fournissent le contexte, certes théorique dans une large mesure, sur lequel se fonde l’appel que la Cour doit trancher. [15] L’appelant était, pendant toute la période pertinente, un avocat membre du Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick. [16] La City of Bathurst est une municipalité qui dispose de son propre corps de police.
André Comeau était, pendant toute la période pertinente, membre de la Force policière de Bathurst agissant dans l’exercice de ses fonctions d’agent de police. [17] The City of Fredericton est également une municipalité qui dispose de son propre corps de police. Mark Lord était, pendant toute la période pertinente, membre de la Force policière de Fredericton agissant dans l’exercice de ses fonctions d’agent de police. [18] En 2006, Frank Branch a été congédié de l’Office de commercialisation des produits forestiers du Nord. M.
Branch a été accusé d’une infraction criminelle relativement à la conduite qui aurait justifié son congédiement. Il a également intenté une action civile contre l’Office pour congédiement abusif et diffamation, et l’Office a formé une demande reconventionnelle en
dommages-intérêts. L’appelant était l’avocat de M. Branch tant dans l’instance civile que dans l’instance criminelle. [19] En décembre 2009, l’appelant s’est présenté au palais de justice de Bathurst pour l’enquête préliminaire relative aux accusations portées contre M. Branch. À cette époque, Alain Landry était le directeur de l’Office. Le 10 décembre 2009, l’appelant a rencontré M. Landry dans le corridor à l’extérieur de la salle d’audience pour discuter de clauses informelles en vue du règlement de l’action civile intentée contre l’Office. [20] L’appelant a remis à M.
Landry une note manuscrite intitulée [TRADUCTION] « Offre de règlement amiable ». Il a expliqué à M. Landry un possible règlement de l’affaire civile et lui a dit que, si celle-ci pouvait être réglée, il tenterait d’amener le ministère public à [TRADUCTION] « ne présenter aucune preuve » au procès criminel de M. Branch. L’appelant n’a pas laissé entendre que M. Landry ou l’Office aurait un rôle à jouer pour régler les accusations au criminel. Le règlement de l’affaire civile en faveur de M.
Branch placerait cependant l’appelant dans une meilleure position pour négocier avec le ministère public un règlement favorable relativement aux accusations . [21] L’appelant a laissé l’offre à M. Landry, en l’invitant à la remettre à l’Office puis à en discuter avec l’Office et son conseiller juridique. L’offre n’a jamais été acceptée et l’appelant n’en a pas entendu parler de nouveau, ni de M. Landry ni de l’Office ou de ses avocats. [22] Le 11 décembre 2009, M. Landry a rencontré l’avocat de l’Office pour discuter de la rencontre ayant eu lieu dans le corridor et de l’offre de règlement amiable. M.
Landry a également remis à l’avocat la note manuscrite intitulée [TRADUCTION] « Offre de règlement amiable ». [23] Une semaine plus tard, M. Landry s’est présenté à la Force policière de Bathurst pour y déposer une plainte. Il alléguait que l’appelant avait tenté d’entraver le cours de la justice lorsqu’ils se sont rencontrés dans le corridor le 10 décembre 2009. M.
Landry soutient que durant la rencontre dans le corridor, l’appelant a tenu les propos suivants : [TRADUCTION] « Ce sont vos témoins; faites en sorte qu’ils ne témoignent pas et le ministère public n’aura pas de preuve », ou des propos semblables, en substance, selon lesquels l’appelant tentait de convaincre M. Landry de dissuader des témoins dans l’affaire criminelle de fournir une preuve contre M. Branch. L’appelant n’a pas tenu ces propos ni d’autres propos en vue de dissuader des témoins de témoigner ou de demander à M. Landry de le faire. [24] Le défendeur, André Comeau, a traité la plainte.
Il a interrogé M. Landry et a pris des notes, mais il n’a pas enregistré de déclaration initiale. M. Landry a fourni au sergent Comeau une copie de la note manuscrite intitulée [TRADUCTION] « Offre de règlement amiable » et il l’a informé que l’avocat de l’Office avait la note originale. Étant donné la participation de la Force policière de Fredericton dans la poursuite de M. Branch, la Force policière de Bathurst lui a transféré la plainte. [25] Au début de février 2010, la Force policière de Fredericton a désigné le défendeur, le caporal Mark Lord, comme enquêteur principal.
Le caporal Lord était polygraphiste. [26] Après avoir reçu les instructions du sergent Comeau, le caporal Lord a préparé un constat général résumant sa compréhension de l’affaire. Les renseignements fournis par le sergent Comeau ou la compréhension par le caporal Lord de ces renseignements comportaient des erreurs substantielles . [27] Le 23 février 2010, M. Landry a fait une déclaration de type K.G.B. au caporal Lord. Bien que les instances en matière civile et criminelle auxquelles M. Branch était
partie soient des éléments essentiels du contexte de l’accusation déposée contre l’appelant, le caporal Lord n’a déployé aucun effort pour se renseigner sur ces instances. Il a plutôt cru la parole de M. Landry, personne sans connaissance ni expérience pertinentes, sur sa perception selon laquelle la structure du règlement proposée par l’appelant était contraire à la déontologie ou illégale. [28] Le 23 février 2010, le caporal Lord a rencontré l’avocat de l’Office, qui lui a fourni une déclaration manuscrite. Il était un témoin essentiel pour corroborer ou contredire la version des événements fournie par M.
Landry, car il l’a rencontré le jour suivant l’infraction alléguée. Le caporal Lord ne lui a pas posé de questions sur son souvenir de la rencontre avec M. Landry. Il ne lui a pas posé de questions non plus sur son traitement de l’offre de règlement amiable, sur son transfert de l’affaire à un avocat plus expérimenté en matière criminelle ni sur les autres mesures, s’il en est, qu’il a entreprises. Soit le caporal Lord n’a pas saisi la version
originale de l’[TRADUCTION] « Offre de règlement amiable » de l’avocat, soit il a perdu ce document après l’avoir saisi. [29] Le 30 mars et le 1 er avril 2010, le caporal Lord a recueilli la déclaration de type K.G.B. de la témoin Linda Gould-MacDonald. M me Gould-MacDonald était alors directrice administrative de la Commission des produits forestiers du Nouveau-Brunswick et chargée de l’enquête de l’Office menée sur M. Branch. Elle était très près de l’appelant et de M. Landry durant la première
partie de la rencontre dans le corridor et elle s’est entretenue avec M. Landry juste après la rencontre. Le caporal Lord n’a pas posé de questions à M me Gould-MacDonald sur ses observations de la rencontre dans le corridor, sur sa conversation avec M. Landry après la rencontre ni sur ce qu’elle a fait ou a pensé, le cas échéant, à l’égard de ces rapports par la suite. [30] Le 9 septembre 2011, l’appelant s’est présenté, à la demande du caporal Lord, au poste de police de Saint John, où il a été arrêté à son arrivée.
Jusqu’à son arrestation, l’appelant n’avait aucune idée qu’on alléguait qu’il avait commis une infraction criminelle. Dans son esprit, la discussion qu’il a eue avec M. Landry dans le corridor le 10 décembre 2009 constituait une offre de règlement amiable courante et insignifiante, et il y avait pensé peu depuis puisque personne ne la lui avait mentionnée de nouveau jusqu’à son arrestation. [31] Quoi qu’il en soit, l’appelant a fait une déclaration de type K.G.B. dans laquelle il a expliqué avoir déclaré, durant la rencontre avec M.
Landry dans le corridor, que dans le cadre de l’offre de règlement amiable, il irait voir le ministère public afin de déterminer si ce dernier était disposé à [TRADUCTION] « ne présenter aucune preuve ». Il a affirmé que c’est ce qu’il entendait par [TRADUCTION] « ne présenter aucune preuve » sur le document intitulé [TRADUCTION] « Offre de règlement amiable », que cette phrase est souvent utilisée par les avocats dans le sens décrit par l’appelant, et qu’il s’agit là d’une façon appropriée et normale de régler des accusations au criminel. L’appelant a nié avoir demandé à M.
Landry de dissuader des témoins de témoigner et il a expliqué la raison pour laquelle M. Landry pourrait souhaiter le discréditer : l’appelant a indiqué qu’il poussait l’Office à fournir des états financiers audités depuis des années et qu’il estimait que certains membres de l’Office, y compris M. Landry, avaient peut-être mal géré ou détourné des fonds de l’Office. L’appelant a indiqué qu’il avait l’intention d’interroger des témoins au procès de M. Branch sur ces irrégularités financières. L’appelant a également mentionné qu’il n’avait pas mis de la pression sur M.
Landry ni ne l’avait influencé relativement aux accusations au criminel, et que ces démarches n’auraient servi à rien parce que M. Landry n’aurait aucune influence à cet égard. [32] Dans le cadre de la déclaration de type K.G.B. de l’appelant, le caporal Lord a reconnu qu’il n’avait aucune preuve d’entrave au cours de la justice.
Le caporal Lord n’a mené aucune autre enquête et n’a pas effectué de suivi sur aucun des éléments soulevés par l’appelant dans sa déclaration de type K.G.B . [33] Le 25 novembre 2011, dans sa dénonciation sous serment, le caporal Lord a accusé l’appelant d’avoir [TRADUCTION] « tent[é] d’entraver, de détourner ou de contrecarrer le cours de la justice dans une procédure judiciaire en essayant, par des menaces, des pots-de-vin ou d’autres moyens de corruption, de dissuader une personne de témoigner », acte criminel prévu au par. 139(2) du Code criminel . [34] Le 31 janvier 2013, à l’issue du procès, au cours duquel M.
Landry et l’appelant ont fourni des éléments de preuve contradictoires concernant la rencontre du 10 décembre 2009, un juge de la Cour provinciale a déclaré l’appelant coupable. Le 9 septembre 2014, notre Cour a annulé la déclaration de culpabilité et a ordonné la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Par conséquent, l’appelant bénéficiait de nouveau de la présomption d’innocence. [35] Le procès a débuté le 16 novembre 2015.
La poursuite n’a présenté aucun élément de preuve et l’appelant a été promptement acquitté. [36] Dans l’exposé de la demande modifié, l’appelant allègue que [TRADUCTION] « le fait d’avoir été accusé et arrêté puis d’être déclaré coupable à tort » découle de la négligence du sergent Comeau du fait qu’il n’a pas obtenu une déclaration initiale enregistrée de M. Landry lorsque ce dernier a formulé la plainte à l’origine, qu’il n’a pas obtenu les détails et les circonstances de la rencontre du 10 décembre 2009 qui a eu lieu dans le corridor du palais de justice et qu’il s’est fondé sur la déclaration de M.
Landry selon laquelle l’appelant avait entravé le cours de la justice plutôt que de se faire, de façon indépendante, une opinion. L’appelant allègue également que [TRADUCTION] « le fait d’avoir été accusé et arrêté puis d’être déclaré coupable à tort » découle de la négligence du caporal Lord, dont voici notamment les détails : (1) il a omis d’obtenir des détails sur la rencontre de l’avocat de l’Office avec M.
Landry le jour suivant l’infraction alléguée; (2) il a omis d’obtenir des détails sur les observations de M me Gould-MacDonald relativement à la rencontre ayant eu lieu dans le corridor et à sa conversation qui a suivi avec M. Landry; (3) il s’est fié entièrement aux déclarations de M. Landry et a complètement écarté celles de l’appelant faites dans sa déclaration de type K.G.B. , sans avoir obtenu de preuve pour corroborer ou réfuter l’une ou l’autre des déclarations; (4) il a mis l’appelant en état d’arrestation ou l’a accusé dans sa dénonciation sous serment, sans avoir de motifs raisonnables et probables.
Je m’empresse de souligner que même la dernière allégation est présentée tout au plus comme une allégation de négligence. Pour être clair, l’action n’est pas fondée sur les délits d’arrestation illégale ou de poursuite malveillante.
[37] L’appelant fait également valoir que la City of Bathurst est responsable du fait d’autrui en common law et parapplication de l’art. 17 de la
Loi sur la police à l’égard de la négligence du sergent Comeau et qu’elle est directement responsable d’avoiromis de le superviser correctement. Il a invoqué le même argument contre The City of Fredericton en ce qui concerne le caporal Lord eta ajouté que celle-ci également est directement responsable d’avoir omis de nommer un agent plus expérimenté comme enquêteur. [38] Comme je l’ai mentionné, aucun appel n’a été interjeté relativement au jugement rejetant l’action contre lesergent Comeau et le caporal Lord.
Par conséquent, la question à trancher est de savoir si l’exposé de la demande modifié formulé contreles municipalités intimées a été radié à bon droit sur le fondement qu’il ne révélait aucune cause d’action raisonnable, malgré lesplaidoiries de responsabilité du fait d’autrui et de responsabilité directe qui sont exposées au paragraphe précédent. À mon humble avis,le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur en radiant l’exposé de la demande modifié formulé contre les intimées et en accordantun jugement en vertu de la règle 37.10a).
C’est pour cette raison fondamentale que je me suis joint à mes collègues pour rejeter l’appelséance tenante. III. Analyse et décision [39] Je commencerai par la prétention de l’appelant selon laquelle l’infirmation du jugement est justifiée parce quela décision du juge saisi de la motion est fondée sur des éléments de la règle 22 qui sont étrangers à la détermination des motionsconformément aux règles 23.01(1)
a) et
b) et à la règle 37.10a). Selon nos Règles de procédure, lorsqu’une mesure de redressement estaccordée au
titre des règles 23.01(1)
a) ou b), un jugement ne s’ensuit pas automatiquement. En fait, une modification des plaidoiriespourrait régler le problème et donner un fondement à l’action ou la défense, d’où l’option, dans certains cas, de rendre une ordonnancede transformation et un jugement en vertu de la règle 37.10a). Pour ce qui est de l’exposé de la demande, la mesure de redressement estjustifiée lorsqu’aucune modification donnant lieu à une cause d’action raisonnable n’est appropriée. Une ordonnance transformant unemotion visant l’obtention d’un redressement prévue par les règles 23.01(1)
a) et
b) en une motion pour jugement prévue par larègle 37.10a) ne donne pas lieu à l’application de la règle 22 (voir, par exemple, Kulas (Litigation guardian of) c. Markis, (ON SC), [1999] O.J. No. 4909 (C. sup. Ont.) (QL), au par. 15). [40] Lorsque, comme en l’espèce, la
partie qui n’a pas eu gain de cause dans la motion visant l’obtention d’unredressement présentée en vertu de la règle 23.01(1)
b) est un plaideur expérimenté qui n’a pas demandé l’autorisation d’apporter desmodifications à sa plaidoirie soigneusement rédigée pour y ajouter une allégation de conduite qui n’est pas visée par la protection prévuepar la
Loi sur la protection des personnes chargées de l’exécution de la loi, le jugement n’est qu’une simple formalité, sans aucunrapport avec des considérations en matière de preuve. Dans ces circonstances, il est incontestablement justifié de rendre un jugement envertu de la règle 37.10a), épargnant ainsi aux parties les frais d’une motion de suivi formelle pour atteindre cet objectif. [41] Il est connu en droit, comme l’appelant le souligne, que la détermination d’une motion en radiation d’uneplaidoirie se fait conformément au critère hautement clément et accommodant énoncé dans Hunt c.
Carey Canada Inc., (CSC), [1990] 2 R.C.S. 959, [1990] A.C.S. no 93 (QL). Ni Hryniak c. Mauldin, 2014 CSC 7, [2014] 1 R.C.S. 87, ni O’Toole c. Peterson, 2018 NBCA 8, [2018] A.N.-B. no 58 (QL), deux affaires en matière de jugement
sommaire citées par le juge saisi de la motion, n’ontmodifié le critère applicable. Cela dit, j’ai soigneusement passé en revue la décision du juge saisi de la motion et je conclus sanshésitation que ce dernier a utilisé le terme « jugement
sommaire » comme moyen de décrire en termes clairs ce qu’on lui demandaitd’accorder et ce qu’il a choisi d’accorder, à savoir un jugement fondé sur les plaidoiries et le droit applicable conformément à larègle 37.10a). Les juges formuleront parfois des observations incidentes et superflues dans leurs motifs de décision. Néanmoins, c’est ladécision, et non de telles observations, qui peut faire l’objet d’un appel (voir Veno c. La United, Corporation d’assurances générales, 2008 NBCA 39, 330 R.N.-B. (2e) 237).
Malgré les renvois à la jurisprudence portant sur la règle 22, le juge a reconnu que le critèreénoncé dans Hunt c. Carey C