2020 NBCA 42, 2020 NBCA 42
Opinion
FINANCIAL AND CONSUMER SERVICES COMMISSION APPELLANT 9-19-CA COMMISSION DES SERVICES FINANCIERS ET DES SERVICES AUX CONSOMMATEURS APPELANTE - and - - et - PIERRE EMOND and ARMEL DRAPEAU RESPONDENTS PIERRE EMOND et ARMEL DRAPEAU INTIMÉS Financial and Consumer Services Commission v. Emond et al., 2020 NBCA 42 Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs c.
Emond et autre, 2020 NBCA 42 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Financial and Consumer Services Tribunal: January 11, 2019 Appel d’une décision du Tribunal des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs : le 11 janvier 2019 COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK
History of case: Court of Appeal: [2011] N.B.J. No. 291 2012 NBCA 73 [2016] N.B.J.
No. 308 2017 NBCA 28 Financial and Consumer Services Tribunal: 2015 NBFCST 5 2015 NBFCST 6 2015 NBFCST 10 2015 NBFCST 11 2016 NBFCST 3 2016 NBFCST 4 2016 NBFCST 7 2016 NBFCST 8 2017 NBFCST 5 Decision under appeal: 2019 NBFCST 1 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Historique de la cause : Cour d’appel : [2011] A.N.-B. no 291 2012 NBCA 73 [2016] A.N.-B. no 308 2017 NBCA 28 Tribunal des services financiers et des services auxconsommateurs : 2015 NBFCST 5 2015 NBFCST 6 2015 NBFCST 10 2015 NBFCST 11 2016 NBFCST 3 2016 NBFCST 4 2016 NBFCST 7 2016 NBFCST 8 2017 NBFCST 5 Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBFCST 1 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Appeal heard: November 21, 2019 Judgment rendered: June 18, 2020 Appel entendu : le 21 novembre 2019 Jugement rendu : le 18 juin 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge en chef Richard
Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: André G. Richard, Q.C. For the respondent Pierre Emond: No one appeared For the respondent Armel Drapeau: Ronald J. LeBlanc, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : André G. Richard, c.r. Pour l’intimé Pierre Emond : Aucune comparution Pour l’intimé Armel Drapeau : Ronald J. LeBlanc, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is allowed but the matter is stayed, all without costs.
LA COUR L’appel est accueilli, mais l’affaire est suspendue, le tout sans dépens. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE EN CHEF RICHARD [ 1 ] Cela fait maintenant plus de onze ans que la Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs a, dans un premier temps, procédé à une enquête, puis poursuivi des allégations formelles dans lesquelles elle accusait Pierre Emond et Armel Drapeau de violation de la
Loi sur les valeurs mobilières , L.N-.B. 2004, ch. S-5.5 , pour avoir illégalement fait la promotion de placements et de valeurs mobilières ou participé à leur vente. Bien que les allégations formelles aient été déposées le 24 juin 2010, le Tribunal des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs n’en a toujours pas tranché le bien-fondé. [ 2 ] Dire que l’affaire n’a pas progressé rapidement devant le Tribunal est le moins qu’on puisse dire. Certes, une bonne
partie du retard peut être attribuée à M. Drapeau; toutefois, il semble qu’une certaine complaisance se soit installée.
Personne n’a cherché avec détermination à obtenir une décision sur le bien-fondé de l’instance; le Tribunal a généralement accueilli différentes demandes d’ajournement et, en l’absence d’une ordonnance de suspension, le Tribunal a ajourné l’instance chaque fois qu’une demande d’autorisation d’appel ou un appel a été introduit devant notre Cour. [ 3 ] Le retard à faire instruire l’affaire sur le fond a amené le Tribunal, de sa propre initiative, à conclure il y a plus de quatre ans qu’il n’était plus compétent et à rejeter l’instance : Nouveau-Brunswick (Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs) c.
Pierre Emond et Armel Drapeau, 2016 NBFCST 8 . Sa décision a par la suite été annulée : Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs c. Emond et autre , 2017 NBCA 28 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 135 (QL) (« Emond 2017 »). Dans cette décision, nous avons appliqué les principes formulés dans l’arrêt Blencoe c. Colombie-Britannique (Human Rights Commission), 2000 CSC 44 , [2000] 2 R.C.S. 307 , et jugé que la preuve ne suffisait pas pour fonder le Tribunal à conclure que les délais écoulés étaient constitutifs du préjudice envisagé par la Cour suprême.
De ce fait, nous avons décidé « de lui renvoyer l’affaire, qu’il jugera sur le fond » (par. 43). [ 4 ]
Malgré cette directive claire qui a été donnée le 15 juin 2017, aucune décision n’a été rendue sur le fond. L’instance a plutôt de nouveau fait l’objet d’un long ajournement. Celui-ci a été causé par un conflit d’intérêts mettant en cause l’un des membres du Tribunal puis par un délai de près d’un an pour la nomination d’une personne ayant les capacités linguistiques voulues pour entendre l’affaire. Lorsque la composition du Tribunal a finalement été arrêtée, au lieu d’agir conformément à la directive de la Cour
d’appel et de se statuer sur le fond de l’affaire, le Tribunal a une fois de plus soulevé une question de sa propre initiative. Cette fois-ci, le Tribunal a demandé aux parties de se pencher sur l’effet de l’art. 190 de la
Loi sur les valeurs mobilières , abrogé depuis lors, mais qui était alors libellé ainsi : Enforcement orders when registration has expired or been cancelled or surrendered 190 Notwithstanding that the registration of a registrant has expired or been cancelled or that the Executive Director has accepted the surrender of the registration of the registrant, the Tribunal may make an order under subsection 184(1) or (1.1) or
section 185 within 2 years after the later of (
a) the date on which the registration of the registrant expired, the date on which the registration of the registrant was cancelled or the date of acceptance by the Executive Director of the surrender of the registration of the registrant, as the case may be, and (
b) the commencement of a proceeding under this Act or the regulations. Ordonnance d’exécution lorsque l’inscription a expiré, été annulée ou fait l’objet d’une renonciation 190 Même si une inscription a expiré ou a été annulée ou que le directeur général a accepté la renonciation à l’inscription d’une personne inscrite, le Tribunal peut rendre une ordonnance en vertu du paragraphe 184(1) ou (1.1) ou de l’article 185 dans les deux années qui suivent le plus éloigné des événements suivants :
a) la date d’expiration de l’inscription de la personne inscrite, la date d’annulation de l’inscription ou la date à laquelle le directeur général a accepté la renonciation à l’inscription, selon le cas;
b) l’introduction d’une instance aux termes de la présente loi ou des règlements, si cette date est postérieure. [ 5 ] Le Tribunal a alors conclu qu’il y avait lieu de suspendre l’instance au motif qu’il avait perdu compétence étant donné que deux années s’étaient écoulées depuis le dépôt des allégations formelles sans qu’il y ait eu une décision sur le fond : Nouveau-Brunswick (Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs) c. Pierre Emond et Armel Drapeau, 2019 NBFCST 1 .
Cette décision fait l’objet du présent appel. [ 6 ] La Commission fait valoir que le Tribunal a commis une erreur dans son interprétation de l’art. 190. M. Emond n’a pas déposé de mémoire auprès de la Cour et n’a pas assisté à l’audience. Pour ce qui est de M. Drapeau, il affirme que l’interprétation que le Tribunal a faite de l’art. 190 était correcte.
Subsidiairement, il soutient que l’instance devrait être suspendue ou rejetée en raison du délai excessif qui s’est écoulé depuis que notre Cour a ordonné son renvoi au Tribunal en 2017, lequel délai était attribuable au fait qu’il n’y avait pas suffisamment de membres pour entendre l’affaire dans la langue dans laquelle se déroulait l’instance. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je souscris à cette dernière observation. [ 7 ] L’article 190 a été abrogé par la Loi modifiant la
Loi sur les valeurs mobilières , L.N.-B. 2019, ch. 32 , qui a été sanctionnée le 20 décembre 2019. Compte tenu de l’abrogation de cette disposition, je ne vois pas l’utilité de présenter une analyse détaillée des éventuelles erreurs commises par le Tribunal, même si je souscris à certaines des observations de la Commission.
Je me contenterai de dire que même si l’art. 190 était une disposition impérative, et pas simplement directive comme le fait valoir la Commission, sa portée se limiterait au droit de la Commission de rendre une ordonnance en vertu des par. 184(1) ou 184(1.1) (l’art. 185 ayant été abrogé il y a longtemps). Il n’interdirait pas l’exercice de pouvoirs conférés par d’autres dispositions de la Loi .
L’article 190 avait pour objet de maintenir la compétence du Tribunal à l’égard d’une personne inscrite dont l’inscription avait expiré ou avait été annulée ou dont la renonciation à l’inscription avait été acceptée par le directeur général. Il en découle que tout délai de prescription prévu par cet
article était censé s’appliquer aux activités d’une personne en tant que personne inscrite et non interdire les ordonnances contre toute personne qui aurait par ailleurs contrevenu à la Loi . [ 8 ] Dans le cours normal des choses, après avoir appliqué la norme de la décision correcte à l’interprétation que le Tribunal a faite de l’art. 190 et conclu qu’il avait commis une erreur, j’aurais de nouveau renvoyé l’affaire au Tribunal pour qu’il rende une décision sur le fond; cependant, selon moi, les événements qui ont suivi notre décision de 2017 sont tels que nous ne pouvons que suspendre toute autre procédure devant le Tribunal.
[9] Comme la juge d’appel Baird l’a fait dans l’arrêt Emond 2017, mon analyse commence par les principes quela majorité a formulés dans l’arrêt Blencoe, puisque ces principes restent applicables dans les cas où il est plaidé qu’une affaire devraitêtre suspendue ou rejetée en raison d’un retard déraisonnable. [10] La décision rendue dans l’arrêt Blencoe était partagée.
Cinq membres avaient accueilli l’appel et infirmé unedécision de la Cour d’appel qui avait pour effet de suspendre les allégations dont le British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal était saisi.Le juge Bastarache, s’exprimant au nom de la majorité, a indiqué deux manières d’obtenir l’arrêt des procédures devant un tribunaladministratif en raison d’un délai injustifié. La première consiste à invoquer l’art. 7 de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés, et laseconde à recourir aux réparations en droit administratif. Dans le premier cas, la
partie qui sollicite l’arrêt doit établir que sa demanderelève de l’art. 7. Selon la garantie offerte au
titre de la « sécurité de la personne », cela peut se faire en démontrant qu’un gravepréjudice psychologique résulte d’un acte de l’État. Cela n’a pas été prouvé en l’espèce. [11] S’agissant des principes de droit administratif, le juge Bastarache a commencé par se demander si le délaiimputable à l’État constituait une atteinte à l’équité de l’audience. Il a indiqué que « […] le délai ne justifie pas, à lui seul, un arrêt desprocédures comme l’abus de procédure en common law » parce que « mettre fin aux procédures simplement en raison du délai écouléreviendrait à imposer une prescription d’origine judiciaire ».
Dans le contexte du droit administratif, un abus de procédure se produitcependant lorsqu’« il [est prouvé] qu’un délai inacceptable a causé un préjudice important » (par. 101). Il donne des exemples : […] Lorsqu’un délai compromet la capacité d’une
partie de répondre à la plainte portée contre elle, notamment parce que ses souvenirsse sont estompés, parce que des témoins essentiels sont décédés ou ne sont pas disponibles ou parce que des éléments de preuve ont étéperdus, le délai dans les procédures administratives peut être invoqué pour contester la validité de ces procédures et pour justifierréparation (D. J. M. Brown et J. M. Evans, Judicial Review of Administrative Action in Canada (feuilles mobiles), à la p. 9-67; W. Wade et C. Forsyth, Administrative Law (7e éd. 1994), aux pp. 435 et 436).
Il est donc reconnu que les principes de justice naturelle etl’obligation d’agir équitablement comprennent le droit à une audience équitable et qu’il est possible de remédier au délai injustifié dansdes procédures administratives qui compromettent l’équité de l’audience (voir, par exemple, J. M. Evans, H. N. Janisch et D. J. Mullan, Administrative Law: Cases, Text, and Materials (4e éd. 1995), à la p. 256; Wade et Forsyth, op. cit., aux pp. 435 et 436; Nisbett, précité,à la p. 756; Lignes aériennes Canadien, précité; Ford Motor Co. of Canada c. Ontario (Human Rights Commission) (1995), (ON SC), 24 C.H.R.R.
D/464 (C. div. Ont.); Freedman c. College of Physicians & Surgeons (New Brunswick) (1996), (NB KB), 41 Admin. L.R. (2d) 196 (B.R.N.-B.)). [par. 102] [12] Dans la présente instance, ni M. Emond ni M. Drapeau n’ont produit une preuve quelconque d’atteinte àl’équité de l’audience. M. Drapeau a déposé un affidavit dans lequel il affirme que lui-même et sa famille ont subi un préjudice en raisonde la lenteur des procédures, mais il ne donne absolument aucun détail.
Par conséquent, en ce qui concerne l’équité de l’audience, rien nesemble avoir changé depuis notre décision dans l’arrêt Emond 2017 dans lequel nous avions conclu que « la preuve ne suffisait pas pourfonder le Tribunal à conclure que les délais écoulés étaient constitutifs du préjudice que la Cour suprême a défini dans Blencoe » (par.40). [13] S’agissant toujours du recours aux principes du droit administratif, la Cour suprême, dans l’arrêt Blencoe, s’estdemandé si d’autres formes de préjudice pourraient justifier un redressement en cas de délai injustifié.
Le juge Bastarache a commencél’analyse des juges majoritaires en faisant observer que les procédures en matière de droit administratif dont il était question « doivents’être déroulées d’une manière tout à fait conforme aux principes de justice naturelle et d’équité procédurale » (par. 105).
Il a ensuiteposé la question en ces termes : […] Il s’agit de savoir si, aux fins de déterminer s’il y a eu déni de justice naturelle, on peut tenir compte du préjudice psychologique etsociologique causé par le délai et non seulement de l’incidence procédurale ou juridique, c’est-à-dire de la question de savoir si lacapacité de présenter une défense pleine et entière a été compromise. […] [par. 107] [14] Il a poursuivi en faisant observer que cette « question est difficile et il n’y a aucune jurisprudence claire en lamatière » (par. 107).
Après avoir passé en revue les décisions dans lesquelles les tribunaux s’étaient penchés sur d’autres types depréjudices que l’atteinte à l’équité de l’audience, le juge Bastarache est arrivé à la conclusion suivante : Je serais disposé à reconnaître qu’un délai inacceptable peut constituer un abus de procédure dans certaines circonstances, même lorsquel’équité de l’audience n’a pas été compromise.
Dans le cas où un délai excessif a causé directement un préjudice psychologiqueimportant à une personne ou entaché sa réputation au point de déconsidérer le régime de protection des droits de la personne, le préjudicesubi peut être suffisant pour constituer un abus de procédure. L’abus de procédure ne s’entend pas que d’un acte qui donne lieu à uneaudience inéquitable et il peut englober d’autres cas que celui où le délai cause des difficultés sur le plan de la preuve. Il faut toutefois
souligner que rares sont les longs délais qui satisfont à ce critère préliminaire. Ainsi, pour constituer un abus de procédure dans les cas où il n’y a aucune atteinte à l’équité de l’audience, le délai doit être manifestement inacceptable et avoir directement causé un préjudice important. Il doit s’agir d’un délai qui, dans les circonstances de l’affaire, déconsidérerait le régime de protection des droits de la personne.
La question difficile dont nous sommes saisis est de savoir quel « délai inacceptable » constitue un abus de procédure. [par. 115] [ 15 ] La mention du « régime de protection des droits de la personne » dans la citation qui précède vise la procédure de droit administratif qui était en cause dans l’arrêt Blencoe .
Il va de soi que ces principes s’appliquent à d’autres régimes de droit administratif. [ 16 ] La majorité a reconnu que « [l’]abus de procédure est une notion de common law qui est invoquée principalement pour mettre fin à des procédures lorsqu’il serait oppressif de permettre leur continuation », notant cependant que l’arrêt des procédures n’est pas la seule réparation possible (par. 116 et 117).
Le juge Bastarache a ajouté ce qui suit : Pour conclure qu’il y a eu abus de procédure, la cour doit être convaincue que [ traduction ] « le préjudice qui serait causé à l’intérêt du public dans l’équité du processus administratif, si les procédures suivaient leur cours, excéderait celui qui serait causé à l’intérêt du public dans l’application de la loi, s’il était mis fin à ces procédures » (Brown et Evans, op. cit. , à la p. 9-68).
Le juge L’Heureux-Dubé affirme dans Power , précité, à la p. 616, que, d’après la jurisprudence, il y a « abus de procédure » lorsque la situation est à ce point viciée qu’elle constitue l’un des cas les plus manifestes. À mon sens, cela s’appliquerait autant à l’abus de procédure en matière administrative. Pour reprendre les termes employés par le juge L’Heureux-Dubé, il y a abus de procédure lorsque les procédures sont « injustes au point qu’elles sont contraires à l’intérêt de la justice » (p. 616). « Les cas de cette nature seront toutefois extrêmement rares » ( Power , précité, à la p. 616).
Dans le contexte administratif, il peut y avoir abus de procédure lorsque la conduite est tout aussi oppressive. [par. 120] [ 17 ] Pour démontrer qu’il y a eu abus de procédure, la
partie qui demande réparation « doit établir que le délai était inacceptable au point d’être oppressif et de vicier les procédures en cause ». « [L]e stress et la stigmatisation résultant d’un délai excessif peuvent entraîner un abus de procédure » (par. 121).
Plusieurs facteurs doivent être pris en considération : La question de savoir si un délai est devenu excessif dépend de la nature de l’affaire et de sa complexité, des faits et des questions en litige, de l’objet et de la nature des procédures, de la question de savoir si la personne visée par les procédures a contribué ou renoncé au délai, et d’autres circonstances de l’affaire.
Comme nous l’avons vu, la question de savoir si un délai est excessif et s’il est susceptible de heurter le sens de l’équité de la collectivité dépend non pas uniquement de la longueur de ce délai, mais de facteurs contextuels, dont la nature des différents droits en jeu dans les procédures. [par. 122] [ 18 ] La majorité a repris les propos tenus par le lord juge Salmon dans Allen c. Sir Alfred McAlpine & Sons, Ltd. , [1968] 1 All E.R. 543 (C.A.) , à la p. 561, selon lesquels [TRADUCTION] « il ne devrait pas être trop difficile de reconnaître un délai excessif lorsqu’il se produit » ( Blencoe , au par. 132 ).
Lorsque l’existence d’un délai excessif est établie, il faut ensuite se demander si le délai a « causé un préjudice réel d’une telle ampleur qu’il heurte le sens de la justice et de la décence du public » (par. 133). [ 19 ] Dissident en partie, le juge LeBel a prononcé les motifs de la minorité dans l’arrêt Blencoe . En bout de ligne, la minorité a conclu que le délai était excessif, mais elle a convenu avec la majorité qu’un arrêt des procédures n’était pas justifié, en précisant cependant que, selon elle, une autre mesure de redressement aurait dû être ordonnée.
Le juge LeBel a commencé son analyse par l’observation suivante : Ce n’est pas d’hier que les délais inutiles dans les procédures judiciaires et les procédures administratives sont qualifiés de contraires à une société libre et équitable. Il s’agit jusqu’à un certain point d’un fléau qui touche presque tous les tribunaux judiciaires et les tribunaux administratifs. C’est un problème qu’il faut régler pour assurer le maintien d’un système de justice efficace et digne de la confiance des Canadiens et des Canadiennes.
La solution à ce problème réside non seulement dans l’application de la Charte , mais également dans celle des principes d’un régime de droit administratif souple et en évolution constante. [par. 140] [ 20 ] Quatre ans plus tard, ces mots seraient expressément adoptés par la majorité dans l’arrêt Giguère c. Chambre des notaires du Québec , 2004 CSC 1 , [2004] 1 R.C.S. 3 , au par. 34 , la Cour exerçant son pouvoir discrétionnaire de refuser de renvoyer l’affaire pour réexamen.
[21] Selon la minorité dans Blencoe, « [c]ette règle de l’abus de procédure en droit administratif visefondamentalement à protéger les gens contre tout traitement inéquitable de la part d’organismes administratifs ». Il s’agit de déterminersi l’« organisme administratif [a] traité des gens excessivement mal » (par. 144). Le juge LeBel a examiné à la fois le contexte historiquede la doctrine et la jurisprudence moderne en droit administratif.
Il a conclu que « [l]e délai administratif abusif est répréhensible, et ce,peu importe qu’il ne ruine que la vie d’une personne sans affecter l’audition à laquelle elle a droit » et que « le délai administratif jugédéraisonnable en raison de sa durée, de ses causes et de ses effets est abusif et contraire aux principes du droit administratif qui existentet qui devraient s’appliquer dans un système juridique équitable et efficace » (par. 154).
Il « n’est pas déraisonnable uniquement dans lecas où le régime [administratif en cause] est déconsidéré en raison d’une atteinte à l’équité de l’audience ou du fait que le délai a franchile seuil d’un abus scandaleux » (par. 155). Compte tenu du fait que les délais ne sont pas tous les mêmes et que les organismesadministratifs diffèrent les uns des autres, une évaluation contextuelle s’impose.
Cette évaluation exige une appréciation de plusieursfacteurs, notamment : (1) le délai inhérent aux affaires dont est saisi l’organisme administratif en cause, ce qui comprendrait lacomplexité juridique et la complexité factuelle, ainsi que les délais raisonnables pour que les parties ou le public bénéficient de garantiesprocédurales; (2) les causes du délai, ce qui comprendrait notamment l’examen de la question de savoir si la personne touchée acontribué ou renoncé à certaines parties du délai; et (3) l’incidence du délai, considérée comme englobant le préjudice établi et les autresatteintes à l’existence des personnes touchées par le délai qui s’écoule. [22] La minorité a conclu que les délais avaient été déraisonnables et justifiaient d’accorder une forme de réparationà M.
Blencoe. Rejetant un arrêt des procédures comme réparation appropriée dans cette affaire, le juge LeBel a noté que « [q]uiconquedemande l’arrêt des procédures assume un lourd fardeau », ajoutant qu’une telle réparation devrait se limiter « aux cas où l’équité mêmede l’audience est compromise et où le délai dans les procédures menant à l’audience constituerait un abus de procédure grossier ouscandaleux » (par. 180).
En définitive, la minorité aurait ordonné une audition accélérée et un dédommagement sous forme de dépens. [23] Dans l’arrêt Blencoe, la majorité et la minorité ont toutes deux adopté une démarche contextuelle pourdéterminer si un délai est devenu excessif, et les deux exposés des motifs portant sur les facteurs à prendre en considération sechevauchent jusqu’à un certain point. [24] Le délai en cause dans Blencoe était de 30 mois (cinq ans lorsque la Cour suprême a statué sur l’instance). Lamajorité a comparé ce délai de 30 mois à celui qui était en cause dans des affaires analogues comme : Nisbett c.
Manitoba (Human RightsCommission), [1993] M.J. No. 160 (C.A.) (QL), où le délai était d’environ trois ans; Lignes aériennes Canadien International Ltée c.Canada (Commission des droits de la personne), (CAF), [1996] 1 C.F. 638 (C.A.), où un délai de 50 mois s’étaitécoulé entre le dépôt de la plainte et la nomination d’un enquêteur; Stefani c. College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia, (BC SC), [1996] B.C.J. No. 1818 (C.S.) (QL), où le délai était tout juste inférieur à trois ans; Brown c. Assn. of ProfessionalEngineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia, [1994] B.C.J.
No. 2037 (C.S.) (QL), où trois années s’étaient écoulées avant lasignification de l’avis d’enquête; Misra c. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan, (SK CA), [1988] S.J.No. 342 (C.A.) (QL), où il s’agissait d’un délai de cinq ans pendant lequel il y avait eu une suspension provisoire; et Ratzlaff c. BritishColumbia (Medical Services Commission), (BC CA), [1996] B.C.J.
No. 36 (C.A.) (QL), où un délai de sept ans s’étaitécoulé avant la signification d’un avis d’audience. [25] Si nous devions renvoyer la présente affaire au Tribunal avec la même directive que dans Emond 2017, le délaiqui se serait écoulé avant qu’elle ne soit entendue sur le fond serait de plus de dix ans depuis la date de dépôt des allégations formelles,et de plus de onze ans depuis la date de révocation de l’inscription de M.
Drapeau. [26] Dans l’arrêt Emond 2017, le délai en cause était d’un peu plus de six ans jusqu’à la date à laquelle le Tribunal,de sa propre initiative, avait rejeté l’affaire en raison du délai, et de près de sept ans à la date à laquelle notre Cour lui avait renvoyél’instance pour qu’il l’entende sur le fond. [27] Dans Emond 2017, la juge d’appel Baird avait annexé une chronologie des procédures. Après avoir examinétous les délais, dont un grand nombre était attribuable à M. Drapeau avec l’accord de M.
Emond, la Cour avait déterminé qu’un examenadéquat des critères énoncés par la majorité dans l’arrêt Blencoe l’amenait à conclure qu’il n’y avait pas lieu d’ordonner l’arrêt desprocédures. En arrivant à cette conclusion, la juge d’appel Baird a indiqué ce qui suit : […] M. Drapeau savait que les procédures engagées contre lui demeuraient en instance. Des questions interlocutoires se sont présentéesauxquelles la Commission a dû réagir, et elle a accédé aux demandes d’ajournement de M. Drapeau. M. Drapeau savait quellesprétentions il avait à réfuter.
Jamais il n’a soulevé, avant l’audience, la question de l’abus de procédure attribuable à un retard. Quant àM. Emond, il a soit consenti à toutes les demandes d’ajournement, soit gardé le silence. Il n’a pas présenté la moindre preuve depréjudice. [par. 41] [28] Telle était alors la situation. Une fois que notre décision dans l’arrêt Emond 2017 a été publiée, le Tribunal
s’est empressé de tenir une conférence préparatoire à l’audience. À ce moment-là, l’un des membres du comité qui devait entendrel’affaire s’était déjà déclaré en situation de conflit d’intérêts. Au moyen d’une ordonnance postérieure à la conférence préparatoire àl’audience, le Tribunal a ajourné l’instance indéfiniment jusqu’à la nomination de nouveaux membres au Tribunal de sorte que tous lesmembres du comité d’audience aient [TRADUCTION] « les compétences linguistiques nécessaires pour siéger ».
Cette ordonnancerévélait que la présidente du Tribunal demeurerait incapable de constituer un comité d’audience pour entendre l’affaire en languefrançaise jusqu’à ce que de nouveaux membres soient nommés au Tribunal. Cette ordonnance a été rendue le 26 septembre 2017. Il afallu attendre exactement une année pour que le Tribunal se réunisse de nouveau, non pas pour statuer sur le fond de l’affaire comme illui avait été ordonné de faire dans l’arrêt Emond 2017, mais plutôt pour entendre des arguments au sujet d’une autre question préliminairesoulevée non pas par les parties, mais par le Tribunal.
Le Tribunal voulait savoir s’il avait perdu la compétence en raison des dispositionsde l’art. 190 de la
Loi sur les valeurs mobilières. Plus de trois mois se sont ensuite écoulés avant que le Tribunal ne suspende l’instanceaprès avoir conclu qu’il avait effectivement perdu la compétence. [29] Pour reprendre les propos tenus par le lord juge Salmon dans Allen, que la majorité a adoptés dans l’arrêtBlencoe, il n’est pas difficile de reconnaître un délai excessif lorsqu’il se produit.
Comme Blencoe le précise, les facteurs à prendre enconsidération comprennent notamment la nature de l’affaire et sa complexité, les faits et les questions en litige, l’objet et la nature desprocédures et la question de savoir si l’intimé a contribué au délai ou y a renoncé. Lorsque la Cour a tenu compte de ces facteurs dansEmond 2017, elle a conclu que le délai, à ce stade, ne constituait pas un abus de procédure. Ce n’est plus le cas aujourd’hui.
À mon avis,le temps qu’il a fallu au Tribunal pour constituer un comité d’audience susceptible d’entendre la présente affaire dans la langue françaiseest inacceptable au Nouveau-Brunswick. Dans l’arrêt Blencoe, le juge Bastarache s’est dit préoccupé par le manque d’efficacité de laHuman Rights Commission et par l’absence d’engagement de sa part à traiter plus rapidement les plaintes dont elle est saisie. Ce faisant,il s’est inspiré de la décision que la Cour avait rendue dans R. c.
Morin, (CSC), [1992] 1 R.C.S. 771, [1992] A.C.S. no 25 (QL), dans laquelle elle avait déclaré, dans le contexte de l’al. 11b) de la Charte, que le gouvernement « a l’obligationconstitutionnelle d’attribuer des ressources suffisantes pour prévenir tout délai déraisonnable » (Blencoe, au par. 135). Bien que l’al. 11b)soit limité au contexte du droit criminel, le juge Bastarache avait conclu que « [l]es exigences de la justice naturelle sont pertinentes »(par. 135).
Il en va de même en l’espèce. [30] Sur le plan du temps, le délai qui s’est écoulé depuis la décision que nous avons rendue dans l’arrêt Emond2017 était inacceptable, mais est-il susceptible de heurter le sens de l’équité de la collectivité? Je conclus sans aucune hésitation que c’estle cas. [31] Déjà en 2016, le Tribunal avait indiqué que les procédures qui se déroulaient devant lui avaient causé unpréjudice important à M. Drapeau.
Les preuves de ce préjudice sont énoncées dans l’arrêt Emond 2017, au par. 39, et comprennent laperte d’emploi, la perte de revenu et d’occasions d’affaires, le stress et la stigmatisation. Par contre, ce que le Tribunal n’avait pas fait,c’était « se demand[er] si la décision heurterait le sens de la justice de la société » (par. 40). Bien que la Cour ait alors conclu quel’application des critères énoncés dans Blencoe ne justifiait pas une suspension des procédures en raison du délai écoulé, je ne parvienspas à la même conclusion à ce stade-ci.
Les différentes formes de préjudice que le Tribunal a cernées en 2016 sont non seulementtoujours présentes, mais elles ont également été exacerbées par l’incapacité du Tribunal, pendant près d’un an, à constituer un comitépour entendre l’affaire en français.
À mon avis, ce fait suffit à lui seul pour heurter le sens de l’équité de la collectivité dans une provinceoù les droits linguistiques sont garantis non seulement par la loi, mais aussi par la constitution. [32] De plus, cette exacerbation a maintenant été renforcée par le délai supplémentaire attribuable au fait que leTribunal a de nouveau rejeté ou suspendu les procédures en invoquant des motifs qu’il a lui-même soulevés et que nous rejetons ici. [33] Même s’il était et s’il est probablement encore dans l’intérêt public d’obtenir une décision sur le bien-fondédes allégations en cause, cet intérêt est maintenant supplanté par l’atteinte au sens de l’équité de la collectivité qui découle de laperpétuation du préjudice du fait que le Tribunal a été incapable, pendant près d’un an, de constituer un comité de membresfrancophones pour entendre l’affaire en cause et qu’il a encore une fois lui-même soulevé une question qu’il a tranchée d’une manièreque notre Cour juge erronée. [34] Cela ne signifie pas que le Tribunal n’était pas habilité à soulever une question de sa propre initiative.
Cepouvoir a été reconnu dans Emond 2017. Toutefois, lorsqu’un tribunal administratif agit de la sorte et voit ensuite sa décision infirmée enappel, le délai qui en résulte entrera en jeu dans toute évaluation subséquente du sens de l’équité de la collectivité. [35] En résumé, la présente affaire a commencé avec l’introduction d’allégations formelles le 24 juin 2010. Aprèsun certain nombre de délais, dont plusieurs ont été occasionnés par M. Drapeau, l’affaire devait être entendue sur le fond au début dumois de mai 2016. Toutefois, avant cette date, le Tribunal a soulevé la question du délai.
Au lieu de tenir une audience sur le fond, le2 mai 2016, le Tribunal a entendu des arguments sur la question du délai et, le 10 août 2016, il a rejeté l’instance pour cause de délaidéraisonnable. Cette décision a été annulée dans l’arrêt Emond 2017, publié le 15 juin 2017, par lequel notre Cour renvoyait l’affaire auTribunal pour qu’il rende une décision sur le fond. Pendant plus d’un an après le prononcé de notre décision, le Tribunal a été incapablede constituer un comité d’audience composé de membres francophones. Lorsqu’il y est finalement parvenu, le Tribunal a de nouveausoulevé la question de sa compétence.
Cette fois, il a prononcé l’arrêt des procédures. Encore une fois, la Cour conclut que le Tribunal a
commis une erreur. [ 36 ] Plus de dix années se sont écoulées depuis le dépôt des allégations formelles, et quatre années ont passé depuis la date à laquelle l’affaire devait être entendue sur le fond en mai 2016. Entre-temps, MM. Emond et Drapeau continuent à subir le préjudice que le Tribunal a relevé dans sa décision sur le délai et dont les éléments sont énumérés dans l’arrêt Emond 2017 . Même si la cause d’un bon nombre des délais antérieurs au 2 mai 2016 est attribuable à M. Drapeau avec le consentement de M. Emond, tous les délais postérieurs à cette dernière date sont imputables au Tribunal.
Dans ces circonstances, je suis d’avis que le délai en cause est excessif et que le préjudice qui en résulte heurte le sens de l’équité de la collectivité. [ 37 ] Bien que normalement, j’accueillerais l’appel et je renverrais une fois de plus l’affaire au Tribunal pour qu’il se prononce sur le bien-fondé des allégations, cela ne ferait qu’exacerber l’atteinte au sens de l’équité de la collectivité .
Par conséquent, j’accueillerais l’appel et j’annulerais la décision du Tribunal, mais au lieu de lui renvoyer l’affaire, j’ordonnerais la suspension des procédures en raison du délai excessif qui répond maintenant aux critères énoncés dans l’arrêt Blencoe . Je m’écarterais de notre approche traditionnelle en matière d’adjudication des dépens et j’ordonnerais aux parties de supporter leurs propres frais, et ce non seulement parce que chaque
partie a eu partiellement gain de cause, mais également parce que ni la Commission, qui est indépendante du Tribunal (art. 30 de la Loi ), ni MM. Emond ou Drapeau n’ont soulevé la question de l’art. 190 de la Loi . De plus, M. Emond n’aurait pas droit aux dépens étant donné qu’il se représentait lui-même et n’a pas répondu à l’appel. En ce qui concerne M. Drapeau, il a une grande part de responsabilité dans les délais antérieurs qui, ajoutés aux plus récents, aboutissent à la suspension des procédures.
English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by RICHARD, C.J.N.B. [1] For over eleven years, the Financial and Consumer Services Commission has been pursuing first an investigation and then formal allegations accusing Pierre Emond and Armel Drapeau of having contravened the Securities Act , S.N.B. 2004, c. S-5.5 , by illegally promoting or participating in the sale of investments and securities.
Although the formal allegations were filed on June 24, 2010, the Financial and Consumer Services Tribunal has yet to determine their merits. [2] To say the matter did not move along expeditiously before the Tribunal is an understatement. Admittedly, much of the delay can be attributed to Mr. Drapeau; however, complacency appears to have set in.
No one aggressively sought to have the matter promptly determined on the merits; the Tribunal generally acquiesced to various requests for adjournments; and, in the absence of a stay order, the Tribunal adjourned the matter each time an application for leave to appeal or an appeal was filed before this Court. [3] The delay in having the matter adjudicated on the merits caused the Tribunal, on its own motion more than four years ago, to rule it had lost jurisdiction and to dismiss the proceedings: New Brunswick (Financial and Consumer Services Commission) v. Pierre Emond and Armel Drapeau , 2016 NBFCST 8 .
This ruling was subsequently set aside: Financial and Consumer Services Commission v. Emond et al. , 2017 NBCA 28 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 135 (QL) (“ Emond 2017 ”) . In that decision, we applied the principles elaborated in Blencoe v. British Columbia (Human Rights Commission) , 2000 SCC 44 , [2000] 2 S.C.R. 307 , and determined there was insufficient evidence to support the Tribunal’s conclusion that the delay resulted in prejudice of the type contemplated by the Supreme Court.
As a result, we remitted “the matter to the Tribunal for determination on the merits” (para. 43). [4] Despite this clear direction, issued on June 15, 2017, there has not been any determination on the merits. Instead, the matter suffered from another lengthy adjournment. This one was occasioned by a conflict of interest involving one of the members of the Tribunal and the subsequent delay of almost one year for someone to be appointed who had the linguistic abilities to hear the matter.
When the composition of the Tribunal was finally established, instead of proceeding in accordance with the direction of the Court of Appeal to determine the matter on the merits, the Tribunal yet again raised an issue on its own motion. This time, the Tribunal asked the parties to address the effect of s. 190 of the Securities Act , since repealed, but which, at the time, read as follows:
Enforcement orders when registration has expired or been cancelled or surrendered 190 Notwithstanding that the registration of a registrant has expired or been cancelled or that the Executive Director has accepted the surrender of the registration of the registrant, the Tribunal may make an order under subsection 184(1) or (1.1) or
section 185 within 2 years after the later of (
a) the date on which the registration of the registrant expired, the date on which the registration of the registrant was cancelled or the date of acceptance by the Executive Director of the surrender of the registration of the registrant, as the case may be, and (
b) the commencement of a proceeding under this Act or the regulations. Ordonnance d’exécution lorsque l’inscription a expiré, été annulée ou fait l’objet d’une renonciation 190 Même si une inscription a expiré ou a été annulée ou que le directeur général a accepté la renonciation à l’inscription d’une personne inscrite, le Tribunal peut rendre une ordonnance en vertu du paragraphe 184(1) ou (1.1) ou de l’article 185 dans les deux années qui suivent le plus éloigné des événements suivants :
a) la date d’expiration de l’inscription de la personne inscrite, la date d’annulation de l’inscription ou la date à laquelle le directeur général a accepté la renonciation à l’inscription, selon le cas;
b) l’introduction d’une instance aux termes de la présente loi ou des règlements, si cette date est postérieure. [5] The Tribunal then ruled the proceedings should be stayed because it had lost jurisdiction after two years lapsed following the filing of the formal allegations without there having been a determination on the merits: New Brunswick (Financial and Consumer Services Commission) v. Pierre Emond and Armel Drapeau , 2019 NBFCST 1 . This decision is the subject of the present appeal. [6] The Commission submits the Tribunal erred in its
interpretation of s. 190. Mr. Emond did not file a written submission with the Court and did not attend the hearing. As for Mr. Drapeau, he argues the Tribunal’s
interpretation of s. 190 was correct. Alternatively, he submits the matter should be stayed or dismissed because of the inordinate delay following our Court’s 2017 remittal of the matter to the Tribunal, occasioned by the absence of sufficient members to hear the matter in the language of the proceedings. For the reasons set out below, I agree with this latter submission. [7] By An Act to Amend the Securities Act , S.N.B. 2019, c. 32 , assented to on December 20, 2019, s. 190 was repealed.
Considering the repeal of the provision, I see no useful purpose to provide a detailed analysis of any errors by the Tribunal, even though I agree with some of the Commission’s submissions. Suffice it to say that, even if s. 190 were mandatory, and not, as the Commission submits, merely directory, all that would be prescribed would be the right of the Commission to make an order under ss. 184(1) or 184(1.1) (s. 185 having long been repealed). It would not prohibit the exercise of powers under other sections of the Act .
The purpose of s. 190 was to preserve jurisdiction over a registrant whose registration had expired or been cancelled or in respect of whom the Executive Director has accepted the surrender of the registration. It follows any limitation period under that
section would have been meant to apply to the activities of someone qua registrant and not to prohibit orders against anyone for having otherwise violated the Act . [8] In the normal course, applying the correctness standard to the Tribunal’s
interpretation of s. 190, and upon finding error, I would again remit the matter to the Tribunal for determination on the merits; however, in my view, the events following our 2017 decision make it inappropriate for us to do anything but stay further proceedings before the Tribunal. [9] As Baird J.A. did in Emond 2017 , my analysis begins with the principles the majority developed in Blencoe , since these remain applicable in cases where it is argued a matter should be stayed or dismissed on account of unreasonable delay. [10] The decision in Blencoe was divided.
Five members allowed the appeal and overturned a decision of the Court of Appeal pursuant to which allegations before the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal had been stayed. Bastarache J., for the majority, identified two avenues for staying proceedings before an administrative tribunal on account of undue delay. One is via the
right guaranteed by s. 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the other is through administrative law remedies. Underthe former, the party seeking the stay must establish his or her claim falls within the ambit of s. 7. Under the “security of the person”guarantee, this may be done by demonstrating serious psychological harm resulting from the actions of the state. This has not beendemonstrated in the present case. [11] Under the heading of administrative law principles, Bastarache J. first considered whether the state-causeddelay prejudiced the fairness of the hearing.
He noted that “[…] delay, without more, will not warrant a stay of proceedings as an abuseof process at common law” because “[s]taying proceedings for the mere passage of time would be tantamount to imposing a judiciallycreated limitation period.” An abuse of process in the administrative law context occurs, however, when “there [is] proof of significantprejudice which results from an unacceptable delay” (para. 101).
He gave examples: […] Where delay impairs a party’s ability to answer the complaint against him or her, because, for example, memories have faded,essential witnesses have died or are unavailable, or evidence has been lost, then administrative delay may be invoked to impugn thevalidity of the administrative proceedings and provide a remedy (D. J. M. Brown and J. M. Evans, Judicial Review of AdministrativeAction in Canada (loose-leaf), at p. 9-67; W. Wade and C. Forsyth, Administrative Law (7th ed. 1994), at pp. 435-36).
It is thus acceptedthat the principles of natural justice and the duty of fairness include the right to a fair hearing and that undue delay in the processing of anadministrative proceeding that impairs the fairness of the hearing can be remedied (see, for example, J. M. Evans, H. N. Janisch and D. J.Mullan, Administrative Law: Cases, Text, and Materials (4th ed. 1995), at p. 256; Wade and Forsyth, supra, at pp. 435-36; Nisbett,supra, at p. 756; Canadian Airlines, supra; Ford Motor Co. of Canada v. Ontario (Human Rights Commission) (1995), (ON SC), 24 C.H.R.R. D/464 (Ont. Div. Ct.); Freedman v.
College of Physicians & Surgeons (New Brunswick) (1996), (NB KB), 41 Admin. L.R. (2d) 196 (N.B.Q.B.)). [para. 102] [12] In the present case, neither Mr. Emond nor Mr. Drapeau adduced any evidence of prejudice to the fairness ofthe hearing. Mr. Drapeau filed an affidavit in which he asserts that the speed at which the proceedings progressed caused him and hisfamily harm, but he provides no detail whatsoever.
Thus, in terms of fairness of the hearing, nothing appears to have changed since ourdecision in Emond 2017, in which we concluded “there was insufficient evidence to support the Tribunal’s conclusion the delay rose tothe level of prejudice as was described by the Supreme Court in Blencoe” (para. 40). [13] Still under the heading of administrative law principles, the Supreme Court in Blencoe considered whetherother forms of prejudice might justify a remedy for unreasonable delay.
Bastarache J. began the majority’s analysis with the observationthat the administrative law process in issue “must have been conducted in a manner that is entirely consistent with the principles ofnatural justice and procedural fairness” (para. 105).
He then posed the question as follows: […] The question is whether one can look to the psychological and sociological harm caused by the delay rather than merely to theprocedural or legal effect, namely, whether the ability to make full answer and defence has been compromised, to determine whetherthere has been a denial of natural justice. […] [para. 107] [14] He continued by noting that the “issue is a difficult one and there is no clear authority in this area” (para. 107).After reviewing cases where courts had addressed prejudice, other than that affecting the fairness of the hearing, Bastarache J. came tothe following conclusion: I would be prepared to recognize that unacceptable delay may amount to an abuse of process in certain circumstances even where thefairness of the hearing has not been compromised.
Where inordinate delay has directly caused significant psychological harm to aperson, or attached a stigma to a person’s reputation, such that the human rights system would be brought into disrepute, such prejudicemay be sufficient to constitute an abuse of process. The doctrine of abuse of process is not limited to acts giving rise to an unfair hearing;there may be cases of abuse of process for other than evidentiary reasons brought about by delay. It must however be emphasized thatfew lengthy delays will meet this threshold.
I caution that in cases where there is no prejudice to hearing fairness, the delay must beclearly unacceptable and have directly caused a significant prejudice to amount to an abuse of process. It must be a delay that would, inthe circumstances of the case, bring the human rights system into disrepute. The difficult question before us is in deciding what is an“unacceptable delay” that amounts to an abuse of process. [para. 115] [15] Reference to the “human rights system” in the foregoing refers to the administrative law process at issue inBlencoe.
Obviously, the principles apply to other administrative law regimes. [16] The majority recognized that “[a]buse of process is a common law principle invoked principally to stayproceedings where to allow them to continue would be oppressive”; noting, however, that a stay is not the only possible remedy (paras.
116-17). Bastarache J. continued: In order to find an abuse of process, the court must be satisfied that, “the damage to the public interest in the fairness of the administrative process should the proceeding go ahead would exceed the harm to the public interest in the enforcement of the legislation if the proceedings were halted” (Brown and Evans, supra , at p. 9-68). According to L’Heureux-Dubé J. in Power , supra , at p. 616, “abuse of process” has been characterized in the jurisprudence as a process tainted to such a degree that it amounts to one of the clearest of cases.
In my opinion, this would apply equally to abuse of process in administrative proceedings. For there to be abuse of process, the proceedings must, in the words of L’Heureux-Dubé J., be “unfair to the point that they are contrary to the interests of justice” (p. 616). “Cases of this nature will be extremely rare” ( Power , supra , at p. 616).
In the administrative context, there may be abuse of process where conduct is equally oppressive. [para. 120] [17] In order to establish abuse of process, the party seeking a remedy “must demonstrate that the delay was unacceptable to the point of being so oppressive as to taint the proceedings.” “[S]tress and stigma resulting from an inordinate delay may contribute to an abuse of process” (para. 121).
Several factors must be considered: The determination of whether a delay has become inordinate depends on the nature of the case and its complexity, the facts and issues, the purpose and nature of the proceedings, whether the respondent contributed to the delay or waived the delay, and other circumstances of the case.
As previously mentioned, the determination of whether a delay is inordinate is not based on the length of the delay alone, but on contextual factors, including the nature of the various rights at stake in the proceedings, in the attempt to determine whether the community’s sense of fairness would be offended by the delay. [para. 122] [18] The majority adopted the words of Salmon L.J. in Allen v. Sir Alfred McAlpine & Sons, Ltd. , [1968] 1 All E.R. 543 (C.A.) , at p. 561, “‘it should not be too difficult to recognise inordinate delay when it occurs’” ( Blencoe , at para. 132 ).
When inordinate delay is established, one then looks to see if the delay “caused actual prejudice of such magnitude that the public’s sense of decency and fairness is affected” (para. 133). [19] Dissenting in part, LeBel J. delivered the minority reasons in Blencoe . In the result, the minority found the delay had been abusive but agreed with the majority that a stay of proceedings was not warranted, though it opined some other remedy should have been ordered.
LeBel J. began his analysis with the following observation: Unnecessary delay in judicial and administrative proceedings has long been an enemy of a free and fair society. At some point, it is a foe that has plagued the life of almost all courts and administrative tribunals. It ’ s a problem that must be brought under control if we are to maintain an effective system of justice, worthy of the confidence of Canadians.
The tools for this task are not to be found only in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms , but also in the principles of a flexible and evolving administrative law system. [para. 140] [20] Four years later, these words would be expressly adopted by the majority in Giguère v.
Chambre des notaires du Québec , 2004 SCC 1 , [2004] 1 S.C.R. 3 , at para. 34 , as the Court exercised its discretion not to send a matter back for reconsideration. [21] According to the minority in Blencoe , “[a]dministrative law abuse of process doctrine is fundamentally about protecting people from unfair treatment by administrative agencies.” The question is whether the “administrative agency treated people inordinately badly” (para. 144). LeBel J. considered both the doctrine’s historical context and modern developments.
He concluded that, “[a]busive administrative delay is wrong and it does not matter if it wrecks only your life and not your hearing” and that “administrative delay that is determined to be unreasonable based on its length, its causes, and its effects is abusive and contrary to the administrative law principles that exist and should be applied in a fair and efficient legal system” (para. 154). It “is not limited to situations that bring the [particular administrative] system into disrepute either by prejudicing the fairness of a hearing or by otherwise rising above a threshold of shocking abuse” (para. 155).
Because not all delay is the same, and because of the varying nature of administrative bodies, a contextual assessment is apposite.
The assessment requires weighing several factors, including the following: (1) the inherent time requirements for matters before the particular administrative body, including the legal and factual complexities of the case, as well as reasonable periods for procedural safeguards that protect the parties or the public; (2) the causes of the delay, including whether the affected individual contributed or waived part of the delay; and (3) the impact of the delay in terms of both proven prejudice and other harms to the lives of the people affected by the delay. [22] The minority found the delays had been unreasonable and entitled Mr.
Blencoe to some kind of remedy. Rejecting a stay of proceedings as the appropriate remedy in that particular case, LeBel J. noted that “[w]hoever asks for a stay of proceedings carries a heavy burden,” adding that such a remedy should be limited “to those situations that compromise the very fairness of the hearing and to those cases where the delay in the conduct of the process leading to it would amount to a gross or shocking abuse of the process” (para. 180). In the end, the minority would have ordered an expedited hearing and compensation in the form of costs.
[23] Both the majority and minority in Blencoe adopted a contextual approach in determining whether a delay hasbecome inordinate, and there is some overlap to be found in both sets of reasons regarding the factors to be considered. [24] The delay at issue in Blencoe was 30 months (five years by the time the matter was decided in the SupremeCourt). The majority compared the 30-month delay to analogous cases, such as: Nisbett v. Manitoba (Human Rights Commission),[1993] M.J. No. 160 (C.A.) (QL), where the delay was approximately three years; Canadian Airlines International Ltd. v.
Canada(Human Rights Commission), (CAF), [1996] 1 F.C. 638 (C.A.) (QL), where there had been a 50-month delay betweenthe filing of the complaint and the appointment of an investigator; Stefani v. College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia, (BC SC), [1996] B.C.J. No. 1818 (S.C.) (QL), where there was a delay of just less than three years; Brown v. Assn. ofProfessional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia, [1994] B.C.J. No. 2037 (S.C.) (QL), where three years had elapsed priorto serving the notice of the inquiry; Misra v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan, (SK CA), [1988]S.J.
No. 342 (C.A.) (QL), which involved a five-year delay during which there was an interim suspension; and Ratzlaff v. BritishColumbia (Medical Services Commission), (BC CA), [1996] B.C.J.
No. 36 (C.A.) (QL), involving a seven-year delaybefore a notice of hearing was served. [25] If we were to remit this matter to the Tribunal with the same directive as in Emond 2017, the delay in havingthis matter heard on the merits would exceed 10 years from the date the formal allegations were filed, and 11 years from the date Mr.Drapeau’s registration was revoked. [26] In Emond 2017, the delay at issue was just over six years to the date the Tribunal, on its own motion, haddismissed the matter for delay, and almost seven years to when our Court remitted it back for a hearing on the merits. [27] In Emond 2017, Baird J.A. appended a chronology of the proceedings.
Examining all the delays, many ofwhich were caused by Mr. Drapeau with the acquiescence of Mr. Emond, the Court concluded proper consideration of the criteriaestablished by the majority in Blencoe led to the conclusion the proceedings should not be stayed. In coming to this conclusion, BairdJ.A. noted the following: […] Mr. Drapeau was aware the proceedings against him were ongoing. The Commission dealt with a number of interlocutory mattersand it accommodated Mr. Drapeau’s adjournment requests. Mr. Drapeau was aware of the case he had to meet.
He did not raise the issueof abuse of process by reason of delay at any time prior to the hearing. As for Mr. Emond, he either consented to all requests foradjournment or remained mute. He did not adduce any evidence whatsoever of prejudice. [para. 41] [28] That was then. Following the release of our decision in Emond 2017, the Tribunal promptly held a pre-hearingconference. By then, one of the members of the panel that was to hear the matter had declared a conflict of interest.
In an order followingthe pre-hearing conference, the Tribunal adjourned the matter indefinitely pending the appointment of new members to the Tribunal sothat all panelists would have “the necessary language skills.” The order reveals that the Chair of the Tribunal would be unable toestablish a hearing panel to hear the matter in the French language until new members were appointed to the Tribunal. This order wasissued on September 26, 2017.
It was not until exactly a year later that the Tribunal would reconvene, not to determine the matter on themerits as it had been directed to do in Emond 2017, but rather to hear arguments regarding another preliminary issue raised not by theparties, but by the Tribunal itself. The Tribunal asked whether it had lost jurisdiction on account of the provisions of s. 190 of theSecurities Act.
Over three months later, the Tribunal ruled it had indeed lost jurisdiction and stayed the proceedings. [29] Applying the statement of Salmon L.J. in Allen, adopted by the majority in Blencoe, it is not difficult torecognize inordinate delay when it occurs. As Blencoe establishes, the factors to be considered include the nature of the case and itscomplexity, the facts and issues, the purpose and nature of the proceedings, and whether the respondent contributed to the delay orwaived the delay.
When those factors were considered in Emond 2017, the Court concluded the delay, to that point, did not amount to anabuse of process. The same can no longer be said. In my view, the time it took for the Tribunal to be able to constitute a panel that couldhear this matter in the French language is unacceptable in New Brunswick. In Blencoe, Bastarache J. expressed his concern with the lackof efficiency of the Human Rights Commission and its lack of commitment to deal more expeditiously with complaints. In doing so, hedrew upon the Court’s decision in R. v. Morin, (CSC), [1992] 1 S.C.R. 771, [1992] S.C.J.
No. 25 (QL), where the Courtstated, in the context of s. 11(
b) of the Charter, that the government “has a constitutional obligation to commit sufficient resources toprevent unreasonable delay” (Blencoe, at para. 135). While s. 11(
b) is limited to the criminal law context, Bastarache J. held “[t]hedemands of natural justice are apposite” (para. 135). The same applies here. [30] In terms of time, the delay that followed our decision in Emond 2017 was unacceptable, but does it offend thecommunity’s sense of fairness? I unhesitatingly conclude it does.
[31] Already in 2016, the Tribunal had identified significant prejudice to Mr. Drapeau resulting from the proceedings before it. These are laid out in Emond 2017 , at para. 39, and include loss of employment, loss of income and business opportunities, stress and stigma. What the Tribunal had not done, however, was “consider whether the community’s sense of fairness would be offended” (para. 40). While the Court then concluded the application of the Blencoe criteria did not justify staying the proceedings for delay, I do not reach the same conclusion at this point.
The various forms of prejudice the Tribunal identified in 2016 not only remain but have also been exacerbated by the Tribunal’s inability, for almost a year, to constitute a panel to hear the matter in the French language.
In my view, this alone offends the community’s sense of fairness in a province where linguistic rights are not only statutorily but also constitutionally guaranteed. [32] Moreover, the exacerbation has now been increased by the additional delay caused by the Tribunal again having dismissed or stayed the proceedings on grounds it itself raised and which we hereby reject. [33] While there was and likely remains public interest in having the allegations determined on the merits, that interest is now outweighed by the offence caused to the community’s sense of fairness in allowing the prejudice to be perpetuated because the Tribunal was unable to, for almost a year, constitute a panel of French-speaking members to hear the matter and because the Tribunal itself again raised an issue and determined it in a manner this Court finds to be in error. [34] This is not to say that the Tribunal did not have authority to raise a matter on its own.
That power was recognized in Emond 2017 . However, when an administrative tribunal does so and its decision is later reversed on appeal, the resulting delay will factor into any subsequent assessment of the community’s sense of fairness. [35] In sum, this matter began with the filing of formal allegations on June 24, 2010. After a number of delays, many occasioned by Mr. Drapeau, the matter was to be heard on the merits in early May 2016. However, before then, the Tribunal raised the question of delay.
Instead of a hearing on the merits, on May 2, 2016, the Tribunal heard arguments on the question of delay and, on August 10, 2016, dismissed the proceedings for unreasonable delay. That decision was set aside in Emond 2017 , released on June 15, 2017, by which the Court remitted the matter to the Tribunal for determination on the merits. For over a year following the release of our decision, the Tribunal was unable to constitute a panel of French-speaking members. When it finally did, the Tribunal again raised an issue regarding its jurisdiction. This time it stayed the proceedings.
Again, our Court finds the Tribunal was in error. [36] Over ten years have lapsed since formal allegations were filed, and four years since the matter was to be heard on the merits in May 2016. Meanwhile, Messrs. Emond and Drapeau continue to suffer the prejudice the Tribunal identified in its decision on delay and which are enumerated in Emond 2017 . While the cause of many of the delays encountered before May 2, 2016, was attributable to Mr. Drapeau with the acquiescence of Mr. Emond, all of the delays since that date are attributable to the Tribunal.
In these circumstances, I am of the view the delay is significantly inordinate and the resulting prejudice offend the community’s sense of fairness. [37] While I would normally allow the appeal and once again remit the matter to the Tribunal for determination of the allegations on their merits, doing so would only serve to exacerbate the offence caused to the community’s sense of fairness.
In the result, I would allow the appeal and set aside the Tribunal’s decision but, instead of remitting the matter to the Tribunal, I would order that the proceedings be stayed on account of the inordinate delay, which now meets the criteria set out in Blencoe . I would deviate from our usual approach to costs and order the parties to each bear their own. I would do so not only because success was divided, but also because neither the Commission, which is independent from the Tribunal (s. 30 of the Act ), nor Messrs. Emond or Drapeau raised the issue of s. 190 of the Act . In addition, Mr.
Emond would not be entitled to costs since he was self-represented and did not respond to the appeal. As for Mr. Drapeau, he bears significant responsibility for the earlier delays, which, combined with the more recent ones, result in the stay of proceedings.