2022 NBCA 63, 2022 NBCA 63
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 88-22-CA KENNETH ZINCK APPELLANT KENNETH ZINCK APPELANT - and - - et - HIS MAJESTY THE KING RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LE ROI INTIMÉ Zinck v. R., 2022 NBCA 63 Zinck c.
R., 2022 NBCA 63 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlanc CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from decisions of the Provincial Court: July 24, 2015 and November 14, 2016 (convictions) August 27, 2015 and November 28, 2016 (sentences) Appel de décisions de la Cour provinciale : le 24 juillet 2015 et le 14 novembre 2016 (déclarations de culpabilité) le 27 août 2015 et le 28 novembre 2016 (déterminations de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decisions under appeal: Unreported Décisions frappées d’appel : inédites Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: October 13, 2022 Appel entendu : le 13 octobre 2022
Judgment rendered: November 3, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 3 novembre 2022 Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Ben Reentovich For the respondent: Patrick McGuinty Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Ben Reentovich Pour l’intimé : Patrick McGuinty THE COURT Leave to appeal having previously been granted, the appeal is allowed and the sentences are varied by setting aside the victim fine surcharges. In all other respects, the sentences imposed in the Provincial Court are maintained.
LA COUR L’autorisation d’appel ayant déjà été accordée, l’appel est accueilli et les peines sont modifiées par l’annulation des suramendes compensatoires . À tous autres égards, les peines infligées par la Cour provinciale demeurent inchangées. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] In 2015, Kenneth Zinck pled guilty to six indictable offences, for which he received a custodial sentence of 44 months, and, in 2016, he pled guilty to two further unrelated indictable offences, for which he received a custodial sentence of four years. As part of his sentences, Mr.
Zinck was ordered to pay, for each offence, mandatory victim fine surcharges of $200 or serve two days in jail. [ 2 ] The mandatory nature of the victim fine surcharge has since been declared unconstitutional: See R. v. Boudreault , 2018 SCC 58 , [2018] 3 S.C.R. 599 ; Perley v. R. , 2019 NBCA 88 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 370 (QL) ; Streatch v. R ., 2019 NBCA 68 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 241 (QL) ; and R. v. McKenna 2020 NBCA 71 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 260 (QL) . On appeal, Mr. Zinck seeks to have that portion of each of his sentences set aside. [ 3 ] Counsel for the Attorney General consents to this disposition.
In these circumstances, with leave to appeal having previously been granted, we allow the appeal and vary the sentences by setting aside the victim fine surcharges. In all other respects, the sentences imposed in the Provincial Court are maintained. Version française de la décision rendue par
Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR [1] En 2015, Kenneth Zinck a plaidé coupable à six actes criminels, pour lesquels il a été condamné à une peine d’emprisonnement de 44 mois et, en 2016, il a plaidé coupable à deux autres actes criminels non liés, pour lesquels il a été condamné à une peine d’emprisonnement de quatre ans. Les peines prévoyaient également que M.
Zinck était tenu de payer, pour chaque infraction, une suramende compensatoire obligatoire de 200 $ ou de purger deux jours d’emprisonnement. [2] Le caractère impératif de la suramende compensatoire a depuis été déclaré inconstitutionnel (voir R. c. Boudreault , 2018 CSC 58 , [2018] 3 R.C.S. 599 ; Perley c. R. , 2019 NBCA 88 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 370 (QL) ; Streatch c. R . , 2019 NBCA 68 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 241 (QL) ; et R. c. McKenna , 2020 NBCA 71 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 260 (QL) . En appel, M. Zinck sollicite l’annulation de cette
partie de chacune de ses peines. [3] L’avocat du procureur général consent à cette mesure. Dans ces circonstances, l’autorisation d’interjeter appel ayant déjà été accordée, nous accueillons l’appel et modifions les peines en annulant les suramendes compensatoires . À tous autres égards, les peines infligées par la Cour provinciale demeurent inchangées.