G.T.D. Appellant v. Her Majesty The Queen, 2018 SCC 7
Opinion
SUPREME COURT OF CANADA Citation: R. v. G.T.D., 2018 SCC 7, [2018] 1 S.C.R. 220 Appeal heard: February 14, 2018 Judgment rendered: February 14, 2018 Docket: 37756 Between: G.T.D. Appellant and Her Majesty The Queen Respondent Coram: Wagner C.J. and Abella, Côté, Brown and Martin JJ. Reasons for Judgment: (paras. 1 to 6) Brown J. (Wagner C.J. and Abella, Côté, and Martin JJ. concurring) R. v. G.T.D., 2018 SCC 7, [2018] 1 S.C.R. 220
G.T.D. Appellant v. Her Majesty The Queen Respondent Indexed as: R. v.
G.T.D. 2018 SCC 7 File No.: 37756. 2018: February 14.[*] Present: Wagner C.J. and Abella, Côté, Brown and Martin JJ. on appeal from the court of appeal for alberta Constitutional law — Charter of Rights — Right to counsel — Remedy — Exclusion of evidence — Police officer deliveringstandard caution after accused invoked his right to counsel — Wording of caution eliciting incriminatory statement from accused —Trial judge refusing to exclude evidence resulting from statement and convicting accused of sexual assault — Court of Appeal holdingthat accused’s Charter right to counsel was breached but that evidence should not be excluded — Standard caution violating police’sduty to hold off and breaching right to counsel — Breach warranting exclusion of evidence — New trial ordered — Canadian Charter ofRights and Freedoms, ss. 10(b), 24(2).
Cases Cited Referred to: R. v. Grant, 2009 SCC 32, [2009] 2 S.C.R. 353; R. v. Prosper, (SCC), [1994] 3 S.C.R. 236; R.v. Fearon, 2014 SCC 77, [2014] 3 S.C.R. 621. Statutes and Regulations Cited Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, ss. 10(b), 24(2).
APPEAL from a judgment of the Alberta Court of Appeal (Slatter, Veldhuis and Schutz JJ.A.), 2017 ABCA 274, 40 C.R.(7th) 25, 57 Alta. L.R. (6th) 213, [2017] A.J. No. 879 (QL), 2017 CarswellAlta 1549 (WL Can.), affirming the conviction of the accusedfor sexual assault. Appeal allowed, Wagner C.J. dissenting. Ian Runkle, for the appellant. Jason R. Russell, for the respondent. The judgment of the Court was delivered orally by [1] Brown J. — G.T.D. was convicted for the sexual assault of a previous intimate partner and appeals as of right onthe strength of a dissent at the Court of Appeal of Alberta.
The dissenting judge would have ordered a new trial on the ground that thedelivery of the Edmonton Police Service’s standard caution breached G.T.D.’s right to counsel under s. 10(
b) of the Canadian Charter ofRights and Freedoms and that the inculpatory statement G.T.D. offered in response should be excluded under s. 24(2) of the Charteraccording to the test set out in R. v. Grant, 2009 SCC 32, [2009] 2 S.C.R. 353. The majority at the Court of Appeal agreed that G.T.D.’sright to counsel had been breached, but dismissed the appeal on the basis that the statement should not be excluded. [2] The right to counsel under s. 10(
b) of the Charter obliges police to “‘hold off’ from attempting to elicitincriminatory evidence from the detainee until he or she has had a reasonable opportunity to reach counsel” (R. v. Prosper, (SCC), [1994] 3 S.C.R. 236, at p. 269). The first issue in this appeal is whether the question “Do you wish to say anything?”, asked atthe conclusion of the standard caution used by the Edmonton Police Service after G.T.D. had already invoked his right to counsel,violated this duty to “hold off”.
We are all of the view that it did, because it elicited a statement from G.T.D. [3] The next issue is whether this breach warrants the exclusion of G.T.D.’s statement under s. 24(2) of the Charter. Amajority of the Court is of the view that it does, and relies substantially on the reasons of Justice Veldhuis at the Court of Appeal. As shenoted at para. 83 of her reasons, the Crown had ample opportunity to call further evidence about Edmonton Police Service training orpolicy, but chose not to do so.
The majority would therefore allow the appeal and order a new trial. [4] The Chief Justice would dismiss the appeal on the basis that the breach does not warrant the exclusion of G.T.D.’sstatement. The appellant argued that the use of the question “Do you wish to say anything?” as part of the standard caution results in asystemic pattern of Charter breaches. While such a pattern may aggravate the seriousness of the Charter-infringing state conduct, here,the pattern did not, in the Chief Justice’s view, involve the abuse of well-settled rules or negligence in determining what those rulesmandated.
The duty to “hold off” itself is well-settled. [5] In the circumstances, whether this form of caution falls within its scope was, in the Chief Justice’s view, not socertain as to deprive the police error, systemic as it may have been, of the badges of reasonableness or good faith. Nor, in his view, is thisa case where the police have improperly chosen “the least onerous path [through a Charter] gray area” (R. v.
Fearon, 2014 SCC 77,[2014] 3 S.C.R. 621, at para. 94). [6] The Chief Justice concludes that the fact that the question was accompanied by clear information about G.T.D.’schoice to speak to the police attenuated the impact of the state conduct on the Charter-protected interests of the accused to the pointwhere, balanced with the seriousness of the breach and society’s interest in adjudication on the merits, admission of the statement wouldnot bring the administration of justice into disrepute. Judgment accordingly. Solicitors for the appellant: Runkle Law, Edmonton.
Solicitor for the respondent: Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, Appeals, Education & Prosecution Policy Branch,Edmonton.