2016 NBCA 4, 2016 NBCA 4
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 57-15-CA IN THE MATTER OF THE ADOPTION OF C.J.C.B. DANS L’AFFAIRE DE L’ADOPTION DE C.J.C.B.
In the matter of the adoption of C.J.C.B., 2016 NBCA 4 Dans l’affaire de l’adoption de C.J.C.B., 2016 NBCA 4 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 5, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 5 juin 2015 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2015 NBQB 117 Décision frappée d’appel : 2015 NBBR 117 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 19, 2015 Appel entendu : le 19 novembre 2015 Judgment rendered: January 28, 2016 Jugement rendu : le 28 janvier 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee
Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For R.C.: Thomas Maillet, Q.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour R.C.: Thomas Maillet, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed without costs. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté sans dépens. Motifs de jugement de la Cour rendus par LA JUGE LARLEE I. Introduction et contexte [ 1 ] R.C. est une mère monoparentale qui a donné naissance à un garçon, C.J.C.B., en septembre 2014 à la suite d’une fréquentation de courte durée avec le père biologique de l’enfant.
R.C. désire adopter l’enfant à son nom seul puisque le nom du père biologique n’est pas inscrit sur le certificat de naissance, celui-ci n’a jamais entretenu de lien parental avec l’enfant, ne désire pas en avoir, et a consenti à l’adoption de ce dernier par R.C. Le juge de première instance a refusé de rendre l’ordonnance sollicitée puisque, en l’espèce, ni la jurisprudence de cette province ni les dispositions de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2 (ci-après la Loi ), touchant l’adoption et l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ne permettent à R.C. d’adopter son propre enfant. R.C. demande que la décision soit infirmée. II. Les moyens d’appel [ 2 ] R.C. soutient que le juge de première instance a commis une erreur : (1) de droit en omettant d’appliquer le critère de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant tel que défini à l’
article 1 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille ; (2) de droit et de fait dans son interprétation de la jurisprudence citée dans sa décision et les dispositions de la
partie V de la
Loi sur les services à la famille ; (3) de droit en n’attribuant pas ou peu d’importance aux opinions émises par R.C. Sans en limiter la portée, le juge n’a pas traité des opinions suivantes de R.C. dans sa décision : a. Il n’est pas indiqué dans la
partie V de la
Loi sur les services à la famille qu’un parent ne peut adopter son enfant à son nom seul; et
b. R.C. fait l’objet de discrimination par l’application par la Cour de la
partie V de la
Loi sur les services à la famille. (4) mixte de droit et de fait en oubliant, négligeant d’examiner ou en ayant mal interprété la preuve de telle manière que saconclusion en a été affectée; (5) de droit en omettant d’examiner et de trancher toutes les questions en litige présentées par R.C.; (6) de droit du fait que sa décision ne répond pas aux arguments présentés par R.C.; (7) en omettant de suffisamment motiver sa décision et il a, plus précisément, omis d’énoncer des motifs suffisants pour permettreune révision valable en appel. III. Analyse [3] Les dispositions applicables de la
partie V de
Loi sur les services à la famille apparaissent àl’annexe A. [4] Bien sûr, l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant est toujours primordial lorsque le juge de premièreinstance décide d’accorder une ordonnance d’adoption. Il n’est donc pas nécessaire de reprendre la définition de l’intérêt supérieur del’enfant retrouvée à l’article 1 de la Loi. Elle est bien connue de tous (voir
annexe A). Par contre, comme le fait valoir R.C., rienn’indique qu’un parent ne peut adopter son enfant en son nom seul. Le paragraphe 65(1) prévoit que « [t]out enfant peut faire l’objetd’une adoption, sous réserve des dispositions de la présente
partie », tandis que le paragraphe 66(1) prévoit que « [s]ous réserve de laprésente Partie, tout adulte peut faire une demande en adoption d’un enfant ». [5] L’argument principal de R.C. est fondé sur l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
Elle fait valoir avecbeaucoup d’insistance qu’il faut en premier lieu continuer d’assurer la stabilité chez l’enfant et que seule l’adoption de son enfant luiassure cette stabilité qui risque d’être rompue si le père devait tenter, plus tard, de s’immiscer dans la vie de l’enfant. [6] En l’espèce, le juge de première instance s’est fondé principalement sur un arrêt de notre Cour, S.N., Re (1994), (NB CA), 154 R.N.-B. (2e) 71, [1994] A.N.-B. no 420 (C.A.) (QL), en appel d’une décision d’unjuge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, pour refuser l’ordonnance sollicitée.
Dans trois paragraphes, notre Cour a statué ainsi: L’appelante a présenté une demande pour adopter l’enfant qu’elle a eue, alors qu’elle était mariée. Elle est maintenant divorcée, et sonex-mari qui demeure au Québec, a consenti à l’adoption. Il n’a démontré aucun intérêt par rapport à l’enfant, et ne paie pas de pensionalimentaire. Le juge a refusé. Nous sommes d’accord avec le juge que la
partie de la
Loi sur les services à la famille L.N.-B. 1980, c. F-2.2 concernant l’adoption n’apas été rédigée dans le but de permettre à un parent d’adopter son propre enfant dans des circonstances comme en l’espèce. Cela pourrait[entre] autres, enlever à l’enfant ses droits de succession par rapport à son père, un droit à une pension alimentaire éventuelle, et enfin,tout autre droit qui relève des devoirs d’un père. Nous rejetons l’appel. [par. 1-3] [7] Le juge du procès a également appliqué le critère ultime de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant :
Il faut se rappeler que le résultat du prononcé de l’ordonnance d’adoption sollicitée serait la perte d’un père au sens juridique. Une telleordonnance a évidemment des conséquences très importantes eu égard à l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant et pourrait priver l’enfant decertains droits. […] La jurisprudence de notre province prévoit que dans des circonstances comme celles qui nous occupent, les dispositions de la
Loi sur lesservices à la famille concernant l’adoption ne permettent pas à un parent d’adopter son propre enfant. [Dans l’affaire de l’adoption deC.J.C.B., 2015 NBBR 117, par. 16-17] [8] R.C. fait valoir que S.N. n’établit pas le principe que l’adoption d’un enfant par son parentbiologique est toujours interdite, et je suis d’accord. Après tout, la Cour dit simplement que la Loi l’interdit « dans des circonstancescomme en l’espèce ».
Dans S.N., puisqu’il y avait eu une certaine relation parentale entre le père et l’enfant, la Cour n’était pas enmesure de conclure que des liens ne s’étaient pas tissés, ce qui constitue peut-être « les circonstances » qui ont apporté la Cour à refuserl’adoption par la mère biologique. Bien sûr, il n’y a aucun lien qui existe en l’espèce entre l’enfant et le père biologique. Toutefois, ilrelève purement de la conjecture que de parler du risque à la stabilité de l’enfant posé par un éventuel retour du père dans la vie del’enfant.
On peut imaginer la facilité avec laquelle un tribunal mettrait fin à un tel danger si l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant le demandait. [9] En ce qui concerne les nombreux moyens d’appel, je les traite de façon globale puisqu’un bonnombre d’entre eux soulèvent les mêmes questions.
Aucun de ces moyens ne m’a convaincue que la décision du juge du procès estfondée sur une erreur de principe ou encore sur un défaut de prendre en considération tous les facteurs pertinents, ou la considérationd’un facteur dénué de pertinence. [10] Le principe que doit appliquer le tribunal est la détermination de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfantselon le critère de l’article 1 de la Loi. Il y a peu d’éléments de preuve pour expliquer pourquoi R.C. voudrait adopter son fils biologique.La preuve est claire.
Cet enfant connaît une vie stable assurée par une mère qui n’a que son bonheur à cœur et rien n’indique que sastabilité est menacée. C’est sur ce fondement et non sur la conjecture que doit se décider l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant (voir à cet égard les commentaires du juge Richard au paragraphe 45 dans J.E.J. c. S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, 318 R.N.-B. (2e) 119). [11] Il peut arriver que des circonstances particulières justifient une ordonnance d’adoptionpermettant à un parent d’adopter son propre enfant dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant comme le prescrit la Loi.
À cet égard les causessuivantes, quoiqu’un peu démodées du fait de la rareté de cette question, donnent certains exemples où l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant apermis de rendre une ordonnance d’adoption : Bertrand c. British Columbia (Superintendent of Family and Child Service), [1985] B.C.J. No. 30 (C.S.C.-B.) (QL); Re M.H.K., [1969] N.S.J. No. 154 (c. de cté N.-É.) (QL); Re X, (BC SC), [1957] B.C.J. No. 175 (C.S.C.-B.) (QL); Re S.M.S., [1983] O.J. No. 2918 (c. de cté Ont.) (QL); Re B, BLD 1812014292, [2001] UKHL 70 (Ch. des lords duR.-U.) (QL).
Or, voici une autre cause où l’ordonnance sollicitée fut refusée : Re Proposed Adoption of E.E.J., 2010 ONCJ 536, [2010]O.J.
No. 4969 (QL). [12] Toutefois, il faut généralement que les tribunaux gardent à l’esprit qu’en rendant une telleordonnance on pourrait priver l’enfant de certains droits comme la perte de la moitié de sa famille légale, la perte de ses droits desuccession par rapport à son père ou à sa mère, la perte du droit à une pension alimentaire éventuelle, et enfin, tout autre droit qui relèvedes devoirs d’un père ou d’une mère. [13] Selon moi, R.C. n’a pas démontré de circonstances particulières en l’espèce et, cela étant, je suisd’avis que le juge qui a entendu la demande d’ordonnance d’adoption a suffisamment motivé sa décision et n’a commis aucune erreur enrefusant d’accueillir la demande d’adoption sollicitée.
IV. Dispositif [14] Pour ces motifs, je rejetterais l’appel sans dépens vu l’absence d’une
partie intimée.
____________________________________ M.E.L. LARLEE, J.C.A. NOUS SOUSCRIVONS À L’AVIS. ALEXENDRE DESCHÊNES, J.C.A. BARBARA L. BAIRD , J.C.A. English version of the decision of the Court delivered by LARLEE, J.A. I. Introduction and background [1] R.C. is a single mother who gave birth to a boy, C.J.C.B., in September 2014, following a brief courtship with the biological father of the child.
R.C. wishes to adopt the child in her name alone, as the biological father’s name is not on the birth certificate, he never developed a parental bond with the child, does not wish to do so, and agrees to the child’s adoption by R.C. The trial judge refused to deliver the order requested because, in this case, neither the jurisprudence of this province nor the provisions of the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 (hereinafter the Act ), concerning adoption and the best interests of the child allow R.C. to adopt her own child. R.C. seeks to have the decision set aside. II.
The grounds of appeal [2] R.C. submits that the trial judge committed: (1) an error in law by failing to apply the test of the best interests of the child as defined in s. 1 of the Family Services Act ; (2) an error in law and in fact in his
interpretation of the caselaw quoted in his decision and of the provisions of
Part V of the Family Services Act ; (3) an error in law by giving little or no importance to the opinions expressed by R.C. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the judge did not address the following opinions of R.C. in his decision: a.
Part V of the Family Services Act offers no indication that a parent cannot adopt a child in his or her name alone; and
b. R.C. is discriminated against through the application of
Part V of the Family Services Act by the Court; (4) an error of mixed law and fact by overlooking, failing to consider or misconstruing the evidence such that his conclusion wasaffected; (5) an error in law by failing to consider and rule on all the issues submitted by R.C.; (6) an error in law given that his decision does not respond to the arguments submitted by R.C.; (7) an error by failing to give sufficient reasons for his decision, and in particular by failing to provide sufficient reasons toallow meaningful appellate review. III. Analysis [3] The key provisions of
Part V of the Family Services Act are reproduced in Appendix A. [4] Of course, the best interests of the child are always paramount when the trial judge decides togrant an adoption order. Therefore, it is unnecessary to reproduce the definition of “best interests of the child” found in s. 1 of the Act. Itis well known to everyone (see Appendix A). However, as is argued by R.C., there is no indication that a parent cannot adopt his or herchild in his or her name alone.
Section 65(1) provides that “[s]ubject to the provisions of this Part, any child may be adopted”, whiles. 66(1) provides that “[s]ubject to the provisions of this Part, any adult may apply to adopt a child.” [5] R.C.’s main argument is based on the best interests of the child.
She argues emphatically thatfirst of all, the child’s sense of continuity must continue to be ensured and that the adoption of her child is the only way to guarantee thissense of continuity, which risks being disrupted if the father subsequently attempts to get involved in the child’s life. [6] In the instant case, the trial judge relied mainly on this Court’s decision in S.N., Re (1994), (NB CA), 154 N.B.R. (2d) 71, [1994] N.B.J. No. 420 (C.A.) (QL), an appeal from a decision of a judge of the Courtof Queen’s Bench to deny the requested order.
In three paragraphs, our Court held as follows: [TRANSLATION] The appellant applied for the adoption of the child she bore while she was married. She is now divorced and her former husband, whonow resides in Quebec, has consented to the adoption. He has shown no interest in the child and pays no support. The trial judgedismissed the application. We agree with the judge that the part of the Family Services Act, S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2, pertaining to adoption was not drafted in order toenable a parent to adopt his or her own child in circumstances such as those in this case.
This could, inter alia, deprive the child of herinheritance rights with respect to her father, [of] her right to a possible support allowance and of any other right arising from a father’sobligations. We dismiss the appeal. [paras. 1-3] [7] The trial judge also applied the ultimate test of the best interests of the child: [TRANSLATION]
It must be remembered that issuing the requested adoption order would result in the loss of a father in the legal sense.
Such an orderobviously has a very significant impact on the best interests of the child and could deprive the child of certain rights. […] The caselaw of our province provides that in circumstances such as these, the provisions of the Family Services Act concerning adoptiondo not allow a parent to adopt his or her own child. [Dans l’affaire de l’adoption de C.J.C.B., 2015 NBQB 117, paras. 16-17] [8] R.C. argues that S.N. does not establish as a principle that the adoption of a child by his or herbiological parent is always prohibited, and I agree.
After all, the Court merely said the Act forbids this [TRANSLATION] “incircumstances such as those in this case.” In S.N., given that there had been some kind of parental relationship between father and child,the Court was not in a position to conclude that a bond had not developed, which may constitute “the circumstances” that caused theCourt to deny the adoption by the birth mother. Of course, there is no bond here between the child and the biological father. However, itis purely speculative to say that the father’s eventual return into the child’s life would pose a risk to the child’s sense of continuity.
Onecan imagine how easily a court would put an end to such a danger if the best interests of the child so required. [9] With regard to the many grounds of appeal, I will deal with them globally, since a number ofthem raise the same issues. None of these grounds convince me that the decision of the trial judge is based on an error in principle, or thefailure to take into consideration all of the relevant factors, or on the consideration of an irrelevant factor. [10] The principle that the Court must apply is to determine the best interests of the child accordingto the criteria established in s. 1 of the Act.
There is little evidence to explain why R.C. would want to adopt her birth son. The evidenceis clear. This child has a stable life, thanks to a mother who wants nothing but his happiness, and there is nothing to indicate that hissense of continuity is threatened. The best interests of the child must be determined on this basis rather than on speculation (in thisregard, see the comments of Richard J.A., at para. 45 of J.E.J. v.
S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, 318 N.B.R. (2d) 119). [11] It may happen that particular circumstances would warrant an adoption order allowing a parentto adopt his or her own child in the best interests of the child, as is provided by the Act. In this regard, the following cases, although a bitoutdated given that this issue is seldom raised, show some examples where the best interests of the child made it possible to grant anadoption order: Bertrand v. British Columbia (Superintendent of Family and Child Service), [1985] B.C.J. No. 30 (B.C.S.C.) (QL); ReM.H.K., [1969] N.S.J. No. 154 (N.S. Co.
Ct.) (QL); Re X, (BC SC), [1957] B.C.J. No. 175 (B.C.S.C.) (QL); Re S.M.S.,[1983] O.J. No. 2918 (Ont. Co. Ct.) (QL); Re B, BLD 1812014292, [2001] UKHL 70. Additionally, here is one case where the orderrequested was denied: Re Proposed Adoption of E.E.J., 2010 ONCJ 536, [2010] O.J.
No. 4969 (QL). [12] However, in general, courts must keep in mind that by issuing such an order, they could causethe child to lose certain rights such as half of his or her legal family, inheritance rights with respect to his or her father or mother, the rightto a possible support allowance, as well as any other right arising from a father or mother’s obligations. [13] In my opinion, R.C. did not establish special circumstances here; therefore, I am of the view thatthe judge who heard the application for an adoption order gave sufficient reasons for his decision and committed no error in refusing togrant the adoption application.
IV. Disposition [14] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal without costs, since there was no respondingparty. APPENDIX A
1 In this Act […] “best interests of the child” means the best interests of the child under the circumstances taking into consideration (
a) the mental, emotional and physical health of the child and his need for appropriate care or treatment, or both; (
b) the views and preferences of the child, where such views and preferences can be reasonably ascertained; (
c) the effect upon the child of any disruption of the child’s sense of continuity; (
d) the love, affection and ties that exist between the child and each person to whom the child’s custody is entrusted, each person to whom access to the child is granted and, where appropriate, each sibling of the child and, where appropriate, each grandparent of the child; (
e) the merits of any plan proposed by the Minister under which he would be caring for the child, in comparison with the merits of the child returning to or remaining with his parents; (
f) the need to provide a secure environment that would permit the child to become a useful and productive member of society through the achievement of his full potential according to his individual capacity; and (
g) the child’s cultural and religious heritage[.] […] 65
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, any child may be adopted. 1 Dans la présente loi […] “intérêt supérieur de l’enfant” désigne l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant dans les circonstances, compte tenu
a) de l’état de santé mentale, affective et physique de l’enfant et du besoin qu’il a de soins ou de traitements convenables, ou des deux;
b) des vues et préférences de l’enfant lorsqu’il est raisonnablement possible de les connaître;
c) de l’effet sur l’enfant de toute atteinte à la stabilité dont un enfant éprouve le besoin;
d) de l’amour, de l’affection et des liens qui existent entre l’enfant et chaque personne à la garde de qui il a été confié, chaque personne qui a obtenu le droit de lui rendre visite et, le cas échéant, chaque frère ou soeur de l’enfant et, le cas échéant, chaque grand-parent de l’enfant;
e) des avantages de tout projet de prise en charge de l’enfant par le Ministre comparés à l’avantage pour l’enfant de retourner ou de rester auprès de ses parents;
f) du besoin pour l’enfant d’être en sécurité, dans un milieu qui lui permette de réaliser pleinement son potentiel, selon ses aptitudes personnelles et, ce faisant, de devenir membre utile et productif de la société; et
g) du patrimoine culturel et religieux de l’enfant[.] […] 65
(1) Tout enfant peut faire l’objet d’une adoption, sous réserve des dispositions de la présente partie.
[…] 66
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, any adult may apply to adopt a child. […] 76
(1) Subject to subsection (2), no adoption order shall be made without the written consent of […] (
b) if the person to be adopted is under the age of majority, the parent of the child or, if the guardianship of the child to be adopted has been transferred to the Minister by a guardianship agreement or guardianship order, the Minister; […] 82
(1) Where, upon hearing an application, the court determines that an adoption order should not be made, the court may (
a) make an order with respect to the custody of the child that it considers appropriate in the circumstances, or (
b) order that the Minister place the child under protective care and that proceedings be taken under
Part IV. […] 83
(1) Where the requirements of this Part have been complied with and the court is satisfied (
a) as to the truth of the matters stated in the application; and […] 66
(1) Sous réserve de la présente Partie, tout adulte peut faire une demande en adoption d’un enfant. […] 76
(1) Sous réserve du paragraphe (2), aucune ordonnance d’adoption ne peut être rendue sans le consentement écrit […]
b) si elle n’est pas majeure, du parent de l’enfant, ou du Ministre si la tutelle de l’enfant a été transférée à ce dernier par une entente ou ordonnance de tutelle; […] 82
(1) Lorsqu’elle décide à l’issue de l’audition de la demande qu’il n’y a pas lieu de rendre une ordonnance d’adoption, la cour peut
a) rendre à l’égard de la garde de l’enfant l’ordonnance qu’elle estime indiquée dans les circonstances, ou
b) ordonner au Ministre de placer l’enfant sous un régime de protection et d’intenter une procédure en vertu de la
Partie IV. […] 83
(1) Lorsqu’il a été satisfait aux prescriptions de la présente
partie et que la cour est convaincue
a) de la véracité des questions énoncées dans la demande, et
(
b) that the adoption should take place, and where a person under the age of majority is to be adopted, as to (
c) the ability of the prospective adopting parent to care for and educate the child in a proper manner; and (
d) the likelihood that the adoption will provide the child with security, a permanent family relationship and continuity of care, the court may make an adoption order, if (
e) where the Minister is the applicant, thirty days have elapsed since the child was placed for adoption, (
f) where the applicant has applied to adopt the child of his or her spouse or common-law partner, either (
i) thirty days have elapsed since the application was made, or (ii) the child has resided continuously with the applicant for the previous six months, or (
g) in any other case, the child has resided continuously with the applicant for the previous six months. […] 85
(1) An adoption order, from the date it is made, (
a) for all purposes, including inheritance from the kindred of the adopting parent, gives the adopted child status as a child of his adopting parent, and the adopting parent status as the parent of the adopted child, as if
b) de l’opportunité de prononcer l’adoption, et, dans le cas où la personne susceptible d’être adoptée n’est pas majeure,
c) de la capacité de l’adoptant possible de se charger de l’enfant et de l’élever convenablement; et
d) de la probabilité que l’adoption assurera à l’enfant la sécurité, des liens familiaux permanents et des soins ininterrompus, la cour peut rendre une ordonnance d’adoption,
e) lorsque la demande émane du Ministre, si trente jours se sont écoulés depuis le placement de l’enfant en vue de l’adoption, ou
f) lorsque la personne demande à adopter l’enfant de son conjoint ou de son conjoint de fait, (
i) si trente jours se sont écoulés depuis la demande, ou (ii) si l’enfant a résidé continuellement avec le demandeur durant les six mois précédents, ou
g) dans les autres cas, si l’enfant a résidé continuellement avec le demandeur durant les six mois précédents. […] 85
(1) À compter de la date à laquelle elle est rendue, l’ordonnance d’adoption
a) confère à l’enfant adopté, à tous égards, y compris en matière de succession à l’égard des proches parents de l’adoptant, le statut d’enfant de l’adoptant, et à l’adoptant le statut de parent de l’enfant adopté comme si l’enfant était né de l’adoptant;
the child had been born to the adopting parent; (
b) subject to subsection (4), gives the adopted child the surname of his adopting parent unless the court orders otherwise; and (
c) subject to subsections (3) and (4), where a change of given names has been requested by the adopting parent, changes the given names of the child to those set out in the order. 85
(2) Except where a person adopts a child of his or her spouse or common-law partner, an adoption order, from the date it is made, (
a) severs the tie the child had with his natural parent or guardian or any other person in whose custody the child has been, by divesting the parent, guardian or other person of all parental rights in respect of the child, including any right of access that is not preserved by the court, and freeing that person from all parental responsibilities for the support of the child; (
b) frees the child from all obligations, including support, with respect to his natural parent or any other person in whose custody he has been; and (
c) unless specifically preserved by the order in accordance with the express wishes of the natural parent, severs the right of the child to inherit from his natural parent or kindred; but an adoption order does not terminate or affect any rights the child has that flow from his cultural heritage, including aboriginal rights. […] 96
(1) Subject to subsection (2), for all purposes of the law of the Province a person is the child of his or her natural parents and his or her status as their child is independent of whether the child is born within or outside marriage. 96
(2) An adopted child in respect of whom
Part V applies is the child of the adopting parents as if they were the natural parents.
b) sous réserve du paragraphe (4), donne à l’enfant adopté le nom de famille de l’adoptant, à moins que la cour n’en décide autrement; et
c) porte, sous réserve des paragraphes (3) et (4) lorsqu’un changement de prénoms est demandé par l’adoptant, remplacement des prénoms de l’enfant par ceux qui y sont indiqués. 85 (2) Sauf lorsqu’une personne adopte l’enfant de son conjoint ou de son conjoint de fait, l’ordonnance d’adoption, à compter de la date à laquelle elle est rendue,
a) rompt le lien qui unissait l’enfant à son parent naturel, à son tuteur ou à toute personne qui avait la garde de l’enfant en leur enlevant tous leurs droits parentaux à l’égard de celui-ci, y compris tout droit de visite qui n’est pas maintenu par la cour et en les libérant de toute responsabilité parentale relativement au soutien de l’enfant;
b) libère l’enfant de toutes les obligations, y compris de soutien, qu’il peut avoir envers son parent naturel ou toute autre personne qui avait la garde de l’enfant; et
c) retire à l’enfant le droit d’hériter de son parent naturel ou de ses proches parents, sauf si l’ordonnance maintient spécifiquement ce droit conformément aux voeux formels du parent naturel, mais elle ne met pas fin ni ne porte atteinte aux droits que l’enfant tient de son héritage culturel, y compris les droits aborigènes. […] 96
(1) Sous réserve du paragraphe (2), pour l’application du droit de la province, une personne est l’enfant de ses parents naturels et son statut à ce
titre ne dépend pas du fait qu’il soit né pendant le mariage ou hors du mariage. 96
(2) Un enfant adopté auquel s’applique la
Partie V est l’enfant des adoptants comme si ceux-ci étaient ses parents naturels.