2019 NBCA 61, 2019 NBCA 61
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 2-19-CA MIRAMICHI LUMBER PRODUCTS INC. and DANIEL ANDERSON APPELLANTS MIRAMICHI LUMBER PRODUCTS INC. et DANIEL ANDERSON APPELANTS - and - - et - PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, as represented by the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY AND RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT RESPONDENT - and - J.D. IRVING, LIMITED, AV GROUP NB INC., CHALEUR SAWMILLS LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, as represented by its General Partner CHALEUR SAWMILLS GP INC.
DELCO FOREST PRODUCTS LTD., FORNEBU LUMBER COMPANY INC., MARWOOD LTD. and TWIN RIVERS PAPER COMPANY INTERVENORS PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, représentée par le MINISTÈRE DU DÉVELOPPEMENT DE L’ÉNERGIE ET DES RESSOURCES INTIMÉE - et - J.D. IRVING, LIMITED, AV GROUP NB INC., CHALEUR SAWMILLS LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, représentée par son associée commanditée CHALEUR SAWMILLS GP INC., DELCO FOREST PRODUCTS LTD., FORNEBU LUMBER COMPANY INC., MARWOOD LTD., et TWIN RIVERS PAPER COMPANY INTERVENANTES Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et al. v.
Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Department of Energy and Resource Development et al., 2019 NBCA 61 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et autre c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Ministère du développement de l’énergie et des ressources et autres, 2019 NBCA 61 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird
Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: December 11, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 11 décembre 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 250 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBQB 250 , 2018 NBBR 250 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: April 30, 2019 Appel entendu : le 30 avril 2019 Judgment rendered: August 1, 2019 Jugement rendu : le 1 août 2019
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: David Duncan Young For the respondent: Richard A. Williams and Maya A. Hamou For the intervenor J.D. Irving, Limited: Catherine Lahey, Q.C.
For the intervenors AV Group NB Inc., Chaleur Sawmills Limited Partnership, as represented by its General Partner Chaleur Sawmills GP Inc., Delco Forest Products Ltd., Fornebu Lumber Company Inc., Marwood Ltd., and Twin Rivers Paper Company: Rebecca Marie Atkinson Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : David Duncan Young Pour l’intimée : Richard A. Williams et Maya A. Hamou Pour l’intervenante J.D. Irving, Limited : Catherine Lahey, c.r.
Pour les intervenantes AV Group NB Inc., Chaleur Sawmills Limited Partnership, représentée par son associée commanditée Chaleur Sawmills GP Inc., Delco Forest Products Ltd., Fornebu Lumber Company Inc., Marwood Ltd., et Twin Rivers Paper Company : Rebecca Marie Atkinson THE COURT [ 1 ] The appeal is dismissed with costs to the Province of New Brunswick in the amount of $5,000; costs to the intervenor J.D. Irving, Limited in the amount of $5,000; and one set of costs in the amount of $3,000 to the remaining intervenors.
LA COUR [ 2 ] L’appel est rejeté et la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick a droit à des dépens de 5 000 $; l’intervenante, J.D. Irving, Limited, a droit à des dépens de 5 000 $; le reste des intervenantes ont droit à une seule masse de dépens au montant de 3 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction
[1] Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. and Daniel Anderson assert a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench committed reversible error when he dismissed an application for judicial review on the basis it was time-barred under Rule 69.03 of the Rules of Court .
The application involved a purported decision of the Minister of Energy and Resource Development granting certain Crown timber allocations in the region of Nepisiguit-Miramichi in Crown Timber Licence No. 3. [2] The primary question before this Court is whether a letter from a Minister replying to a request for information under the Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. R-10.6 (“ RTIPPA ”) is a “decision” subject to Judicial Review. In my view, the Minister’s reply providing the information sought did not result in a decision and I would dismiss the appeal. II.
Background [ 3 ] In the summer of 2014, Miramichi Lumber commenced an action against the Province of New Brunswick alleging the Province breached various agreements. In the action, Miramichi Lumber alleged the Province authorized it to harvest 130,000 cubic metres of “saw-logs” from Crown lands each year and subsequently authorized it to harvest a further 37,981 cubic metres of “tree length timber” and 9,339 cubic metres of saw-logs from certain unallocated Crown timber each year.
In response, the Province contended, in part, that it had not authorized the harvesting of saw-logs but, rather, of “saw material.” In its reply, Miramichi Lumber alleged the Province is only permitted to allocate timber from Crown lands in accordance with the “species” and “classes” of timber which are described in the Crown Lands and Forests Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. C-38.1 (the “ Act ”) or the Regulation under the Act and that neither “saw material” nor “tree length timber” is a class of timber referred to therein.
Accordingly, the central issue in the action is whether the Province’s allocations of timber have been made in accordance with the Act and Regulations . [ 4 ] In the action, Miramichi Lumber alleges the Province cannot permit Crown timber sub-licencees to harvest species or classes of Crown timber which are not specifically referenced in the Act or Regulations . Miramichi Lumber commenced other proceedings related to this allegation that the Province has made allocations of certain species or classes of timber which are not authorized by the Act or Regulations :
a) In 2016, Miramichi Lumber filed a motion within the action seeking an order requiring the Province to produce certain industrial plans submitted by the intervenors, J.D. Irving, Limited and Fornebu Lumber Company, containing confidential and proprietary information of these Crown timber sub-licencees for the stated purpose of determining whether these sub-licencees had been allocated species and classes of timber which were authorized by the Act or Regulations ;
b) In February 2018, Miramichi Lumber brought an application seeking a declaration the Crown timber allocation contained in particular Crown timber sub-licences included species and classes of timber which were not provided for by the Act or Regulations and were, therefore, ultra vires the authority of the Minister and void;
c) In the current Judicial Review Application, Miramichi Lumber sought an order quashing some Crown timber allocations on the ground they include a class of timber which is not authorized by the Act or Regulations and that they are invalid. [ 5 ] Miramichi Lumber abandoned both the production motion and the application for a declaration prior to the scheduled hearings, but only after the responding parties were forced to dedicate extensive resources in relation to those proceedings. [ 6 ] The Judicial Review Application was scheduled for September 18, 2018. On August 29, 2018, the Province brought a motion for the following: (
a) the Judicial Review Application be dismissed as it is time-barred pursuant to Rule 69.03 of the Rules of Court ; (
b) the Judicial Review Application be dismissed pursuant to s. 26(9) of the Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2 as it is duplicitous, a collateral attack and an abuse of process; and
(
c) Daniel Anderson be deleted as a party pursuant to Rule 5.04(2) because he lacks standing. [7] The application was heard on December 11, 2018. In an oral decision given on the same date, the applicationjudge dismissed the Judicial Review Application on the basis the three-month limitation period prescribed by Rule 69.03 had expiredprior to its filing and the Application represented a multiplicity of legal proceedings resulting in an abuse of process.
The judge furtherconcluded Daniel Anderson lacked the requisite standing to bring the Application in his capacity as a shareholder of Miramichi Lumber. [8] Miramichi Lumber appeals the decision of the application judge. III. Grounds of Appeal [9] Miramichi Lumber and Mr. Anderson assert three errors by the judge, arguing he misapprehended theevidence and erred in law in finding:
a) there was no decision of the Minister respecting Crown timber allocations in 2018, only one made in 2015;
b) that Daniel Anderson did not have the standing to bring the application;
c) the application created a multiplicity of proceedings and thus an abuse of process. IV. Standard of Review A. Limitation Period [10] In this case, the application judge concluded the Judicial Review Application was time-barred and should bedismissed as it constituted an abuse of process.
This determination is entitled to deference and should not be interfered with absent apalpable and overriding error. [11] With respect to the conclusion of the application judge that the actual decision had been made by the Ministerin 2015, the question of when a decision has been made, for judicial review purposes, is a finding of fact which cannot be interfered withabsent palpable and overriding error (Hall v.
Province of New Brunswick, 2015 NBCA 71, 443 N.B.R. (2d) 197, at para. 6). [12] With respect to the conclusion of the application judge that the Application was time-barred, the jurisprudenceconsistently establishes that the question of whether a legal proceeding is time-barred is one of mixed fact and law which cannot beinterfered with absent palpable and overriding error (Guarantee Co. of North America v. Gordon Capital Corp., (CSC),[1999] 3 S.C.R. 423, [1999] S.C.J. No. 60 (QL), at para. 28; Longo v. MacLaren Art Centre, 2014 ONCA 526, [2014] O.J.
No. 3242(QL), at paras. 38-39; Crombie Property Holdings Limited v. McColl-Frontenac Inc. (Texaco Canada Limited), 2017 ONCA 16, [2017]O.J. No. 142 (QL), at para. 31 (leave to appeal to S.C.C. refused, [2017] S.C.C.A. No. 85); and Fehr v. Sun Life Assurance Company ofCanada, 2018 ONCA 718, [2018] O.J. No. 4513 (QL), at para. 143).
In Longo, Hourigan J.A. stated: The question of whether a limitation period expired prior to the issuance of a statement of claim is a question of mixed fact and law.Thus, the issue for determination on this appeal is whether the motion judge made a palpable and overriding error in concluding that theclaim was statute barred. A palpable and overriding error is an obvious error that is sufficiently significant to vitiate the challenged finding of fact. The appellantmust show that the error goes to the root of the challenged finding of fact such that the fact cannot safely stand in the face of the error:Waxman v.
Waxman (2004), (ON CA), 186 O.A.C. 201, at p. 267 (C.A.), leave to appeal refused, [2004] S.C.C.A.
No. 291 . [paras. 38-39] [ 13 ] Consequently, deference is to be afforded in this case with respect to the conclusions of the application judge that the Application should be dismissed because it is time-barred by Rule 69.03 and constitutes an abuse of process. These conclusions are consistent with the evidence and the applicable authorities. No error was made by the application judge in reaching these conclusions, let alone a “palpable and overriding error” which would warrant appellate intervention. B.
Standing of Daniel Anderson [ 14 ] The conclusion of the application judge pertaining to the standing of the appellant, Daniel Anderson, is subject to review on the standard of correctness. In Law Society of New Brunswick v. FCT Insurance Company , 2009 NBCA 22 , [2009] N.B.J. No. 122 (QL), Larlee J.A. stated: The trial judge ruled on four issues. Neither party argued at any length about the deference that this Court owes to the trial judge’s findings because it would seem that the standard to be applied on each issue is self-evident. The trial judge found that FCT had standing to sue for a declaration.
This is a question of law and the standard is correctness (See Housen v. Nikolaisen , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , [2002] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL), 2002 SCC 33 ). […] [para. 24] C. Abuse of Process [ 15 ] The question of whether a legal proceeding constitutes an abuse of process is one of mixed fact and law which is dependent upon the exercise of a judicial discretion and cannot be interfered with absent palpable and overriding error. V.
Analysis [ 16 ] In his journal article, “Freedom of Information in Canada: Implications for Historical Research,” ((Spring 2015) 75 Labour/Le Travail , at p. 102), Dominique Clément writes: ACCESS TO INFORMATION is a legal right to review documents that are not already in the public realm .
More than 120 countries around the world have FOI laws. “The FOI phenomenon is not an end in itself,” explain Andrew Flinn and Harriet Jones: but is intended to help make government institutions more accountable in an age when not only are they holding vast amounts of data and information, but technology gives us an unprecedented ability to identify, interrogate and analyze the data and information effectively. … [FOI] is now generally viewed as a standard tool for increasing transparency and reducing corruption, and is widely perceived to be a basic right in any healthy, democratic system of government. [Emphasis added.] [ 17 ] In this article, Mr.
Clément also explains that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick had passed legislation in the 1970s dealing with basic access rights but did not pass legislation comparable to federal legislation until the 1980s. A review of Hansard respecting the committee discussions of Bill No. 78 ( Right of Information ) reveals former Premier Hatfield’s view on how information would be relayed ( Volume XV: Synoptic Report of the Proceedings of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of New Brunswick, Session of 1978 , No. 60 (June 27, 1978), at p. 6266): Hon. Mr.
HATFIELD: The minister who has the information is responsible, under this Act , for making the decision as to whether information can be released . You will also see that there is a right of appeal. [Emphasis added.]
[ 18 ] Decisions made under the RTIPPA are clearly only decisions respecting whether certain information, not currently made public, will be released and if so, how much.
Section 2 of the RTIPPA states the purposes of the Act are as follows: 2 The purposes of this Act are (
a) to allow any person a right of access to records in the custody or under the control of public bodies, subject to the limited and specific exceptions set out in this Act , (
b) to control the manner in which public bodies may collect personal information from individuals and to protect individuals against unauthorized use or disclosure of personal information by public bodies, (
c) to allow individuals a right of access to records containing personal information about themselves in the custody or under the control of public bodies, subject to the limited and specific exceptions set out in this Act , (
d) to allow individuals a right to request corrections to records containing personal information about themselves in the custody or under the control of public bodies, and (
e) to provide for an independent review of the decisions of public bodies under this Act . [Emphasis added.] 2 La présente loi a pour objet :
a) de donner aux personnes le droit d’accès aux documents dont les organismes publics ont la garde ou la responsabilité , sous réserve des exceptions limitées et précises qu’elle prévoit;
b) de régir le mode selon lequel les organismes publics peuvent recueillir des renseignements personnels auprès de personnes physiques et de protéger ces dernières contre l’utilisation ou la communication non autorisée de ces renseignements par ces organismes;
c) de donner aux personnes physiques le droit d’accès aux documents qui contiennent des renseignements personnels les concernant et dont les organismes publics ont la garde ou la responsabilité, sous réserve des exceptions limitées et précises qu’elle prévoit;
d) de donner aux personnes physiques le droit de demander la correction des documents qui contiennent des renseignements personnels les concernant et dont les organismes publics ont la garde ou la responsabilité;
e) de prévoir l’exercice de recours indépendants à l’égard des décisions prises par les organismes publics sous son régime. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 19 ] With this background I now turn to an analysis of the grounds of appeal. A. Did the application judge err in finding the Minister’s response to the Right to Information Inquiry was not a Decision? [ 20 ] The application judge concluded if there was a reviewable decision, it was made when the Minister granted the Crown timber allocations on June 12, 2015, and not on May 14, 2018, when the Minister responded to a request under the RTIPPA concerning these allocations. The application judge stated as follows:
As I read that, there was no decision by the Minister in May of 2018. There was merely a response to a request for information under the statutory procedure which indicated that the allocations prescribed in the
Schedule F issued on June 12, 2015 are still in effect. That is not the same as a decision of the Minister in 2018. [para. 3] [ 21 ] The application judge was correct in concluding the RTIPPA response was not a decision for purposes of the Judicial Review Application. It was not the decision in which the Minister granted the Crown timber allocations, as the response merely reiterated the previously rendered decision to grant these allocations.
Courts have consistently held that a communication which merely echoes a previous determination (as opposed to actually deciding rights or obligations) is not a decision for purposes of appeal or judicial review proceedings. Correspondence which simply restates a previously rendered decision is not itself a reviewable decision unless it contains a fresh exercise of discretion or decision-making authority. [ 22 ] In Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission of New Brunswick v. Comeau , 2018 NBCA 76 , [2018] N.B.J.
No. 266 (QL), the Commission appealed a decision of the Appeals Tribunal requiring the Commission to render a decision on Mr. Comeau’s capacity to return to work in 2007. Mr. Comeau had been injured at work in 2007 and received benefits. The benefits were terminated a few months later, after it was determined Mr. Comeau could return to work. In 2017, Mr. Comeau notified the Appeals Tribunal he would like to appeal the 2007 decision but did not seek an extension of time. In January 2017, the Commission sent Mr. Comeau a letter explaining the reasons for the 2007 decision to terminate his benefits. Mr.
Comeau decided to appeal, alleging the January 2017 letter was a “decision.” He believed it upheld the 2007 decision. After determining it lacked jurisdiction because the 2017 letter did not involve a decision by the Commission and dismissing the appeal, the Tribunal requested the Commission render a decision regarding Mr. Comeau’s capacity to return to work in 2007. Although the appeal before this Court was made by the Commission on the basis the Tribunal did not have jurisdiction to request the Commission to render a decision regarding Mr.
Comeau’s capacity to return to work in 2007, Drapeau J.A. does discuss the 2017 letter: No one quibbles with the proposition that the Appeals Tribunal cannot hear an appeal which is not authorized under the WHSCC Act . The Appeals Tribunal determined Mr. Comeau’s appeal from the feature of the January 23, 2017 letter pertaining to the August 27, 2007 decision did not involve a “decision, order or ruling” of the Commission. It therefore dismissed the appeal after noting its lack of jurisdiction to hear it. [para. 12] [ 23 ] In Dr. D. Anthony Wade v.
Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Health , 2013 NBCA 55 , 411 N.B.R. (2d) 207, this Court held Dr. Wade could not unilaterally revive the time limit prescribed by Rule 69.03 by requesting further information concerning a decision which had previously been made, stating: In an apparent effort to reset the limitation period Mr. Gillis again wrote to counsel for the Province on March 24, 2011.
He stated in part: Pursuant to the regulations of the Medical Services Payment Act, our client would appreciate receipt of a final Notice of Assessment, so that he may pursue any potential options upon appeal. […] I find there is no merit to Dr.
Wade’s position that the limitation period started to run on March 25, 2011, or any other day after January 24, 2011. [paras. 10 and 17] [ 24 ] In Hall , the Court affirmed the finding of the motion judge that an email which merely confirmed a previously issued decision was not, itself, a reviewable decision, stating: […] the judge found that a decision was made with respect to the 2010 application well before February 26, 2014, contrary to what is alleged by the appellants.
To be exact, the judge ruled the decision was made in August 2012, and therefore the application for judicial review commenced under Rule 69 was therefore time-barred. […] we are of the view that there is ample evidence to support the judge’s finding of fact. [paras. 5-6]
[25] In Dong v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship & Immigration), 2011 FC 1108, [2011] F.C.J. No. 1370 (QL), theFederal Court held that a letter reiterating the status of an application for permanent residence did not constitute a reviewable decision,stating: The fact that the Visa Officer may have characterized the January Letter as a decision is not determinative of whether it was in fact adecision that is subject to review by this Court. What is determinative is whether there was a “fresh exercise of discretion” by the VisaOfficer (Choudhary v.
Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), [2000] FCJ 843, at paras 15-16; Brar v Canada (Minister ofCitizenship and Immigration), (CF), [1997] FCJ 1527, at para 8). […] [para. 19] [26] Just like the individuals in the previous jurisprudence, Miramichi Lumber has attempted to revive the limitationperiod applicable to the Application by submitting a request for information concerning a previously rendered decision and now seeks tocharacterize the response as a reviewable decision, in this case regarding timber allocations, when the actual decision was made in 2015. [27] The application judge was correct in concluding the RTIPPA response was not a reviewable decision forpurposes of the Application.
The response simply conveyed information previously issued. There was no fresh exercise of discretion and,therefore, the response cannot be considered a decision. The determination of the application judge is consistent with the evidence andapplicable jurisprudence. The application judge committed no error with respect to this facet of the decision, let alone a palpable andoverriding error which would warrant appellate intervention. B.
Did the application judge err in law in determining Daniel Anderson did not have standing? [28] Given the Judicial Review Application is time-barred by Rule 69.03, the issue of whether the appellant, DanielAnderson, has standing is moot. In any event, the application judge was correct in finding Mr. Anderson lacked standing in the JudicialReview Application.
His conclusion with respect to this issue is consistent with jurisprudence which consistently establishes anindividual’s status as shareholder of a corporate litigant does not constitute a sufficient nexus to the proceeding to entitle the individual tostanding. In Telecommunications Workers Union v. Canada (Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission), (CSC), [1995] 2 S.C.R. 781, [1995] S.C.J. No. 55 (QL), L’Heureux-Dubé J. cited with approval the decision in Canadian Transit Co. v.Canada (Public Service Staff Relations Board), (CAF), [1989] F.C.J.
No. 527 (QL) (C.A.), at p. 614: […] an individual must be directly and necessarily affected by the decision to be made. His interest must not be merely indirect orcontingent, as it is when the decision may reach him only through an intermediate conduit alien to the preoccupation of the tribunal, suchas a contractual relationship with one of the parties immediately involved. [para. 31] [Emphasis in original.] [29] In Canada (Attorney General) v. Watkin, 2007 FC 745, [2007] F.C.J. No. 990 (QL), aff’d on other grounds,2008 FCA 170, [2008] F.C.J.
No. 710 (QL), Tremblay-Lamer J. held that a shareholder of a corporation did not have standing before ahuman rights commission, stating: It is trite law that a corporation is a separate legal entity, distinct from its shareholders and its directors. Only a corporation can bring aclaim for a wrong done to it; a shareholder in a corporation cannot assert a personal cause of action for damages sustained by thecorporation in which she or he holds shares. […] While Foss v.
Harbottle was decided over 160 years ago, its continuing validity in Canada was affirmed by the Supreme Court of Canadain Hercules Managements Ltd. v. Ernst & Young, (CSC), [1997] 2 S.C.R. 165. Accordingly, the respondent lacks standing in his capacity as a shareholder of Nutraceutical to bring a complaint under the Act regardingthe alleged discrimination by Health Canada against Biomedica. The respondent and Biomedica are separate legal entities, and from alegal standpoint the complaint at issue does not personally involve the respondent.
In choosing to structure his business affairs through the creation of two incorporated entities, Biomedica and Neutraceutical, the
respondent obtained a variety of benefits, not the least of which was limited liability. As stated by the Ontario Court of Appeal in Meditrust , above, at paragraph 31, in so doing one “...must take not only the benefits of that structure, but also the burdens.” [paras. 30-33] The application judge did not err in finding Mr. Anderson lacked standing. C.
The Appellants did not commence the Judicial Review Application within three months of the decision [ 30 ] As the application judge correctly determined, the actual decision which is the subject of the Judicial Review Application is the allocation of Crown timber made in 2015, not the RTIPPA response solicited and received in 2018.
Consequently, the Judicial Review Application exceeded the time limitation as it had been initiated beyond the three-month limitation period prescribed by Rule 69.03 which provides: 69.03 When Proceedings Commenced Subject to any Act , an application under this rule shall be commenced within 3 months from the date of the order, conviction, commitment, warrant, decision, award or refusal to act which is complained of but the court may, (
a) on appropriate terms, (
b) either before or after the expiration of the time limited herein, and (
c) if a delay will not cause substantial prejudice to anyone, extend the time for commencing the application. 69.03 Quand introduire l’instance
Sous réserve de toute disposition d’une loi, toute requête formulée en application de la présente règle doit être introduite dans les 3 mois de la date de l’ordonnance, de la déclaration de culpabilité, de l’incarcération, du mandat, de la décision, de la sentence arbitrale ou du défaut d’exécution contesté. La cour peut cependant,
a) aux conditions qui conviennent,
b) soit avant soit après l’expiration du délai accordé dans les présentes et
c) si le retard ne cause à personne un préjudice sérieux, prolonger le délai pour l’introduction de la requête. [ 31 ] This Court has consistently emphasized the critical importance of strict compliance with the time limit prescribed by Rule 69.03 in order to ensure the stability, efficiency and reliability of the public administration process. In Mourant v. Town of Sackville , 2014 NBCA 56 , 423 N.B.R. (2d) 330, Richard J.A. (as he then was) stated: There are good reasons why judicial review is the exclusive procedure to pursue such relief.
Among them is the fact that there must be some degree of finality in administrative decision-making. An administrative decision must be challenged within a much more stringent time frame than the traditional limitation period for advancing a claim for damages. Bell J.A. emphasized the importance of this in Province of New Brunswick v. LeBlanc, Jeffery, MacMullin and Agnew , 2013 NBCA 9 , 398 N.B.R. (2d) 83, by adopting the following words of MacDonald C.J.N.S. in Central Halifax Community Association v. Halifax (Regional Municipality) , 2007 NSCA 39 , [2007] N.S.J.
No. 135 (QL), leave to appeal refused, [2007] S.C.C.A. No. 279: Effective public decision-making by its very nature commands precision and clarity. Public decisions that are tentative or incomplete will lead to an unreliable public administration and a confused public. Thus to achieve the required stability, finality in the public decision-making process is crucial. Both government officials and citizens alike need to know precisely when and how such decisions can be subject to court interference. [...] [para. 25]
Rule 69.03 requires that an application for judicial review “shall be commenced within 3 months from the date of the order, conviction,commitment, warrant, decision, award or refusal to act which is complained of”. Although the Rule allows for a court to extend the timelimit for commencing such an application, this Court has held that “three months is, except in the most exceptional circumstances, morethan enough time for an aggrieved party to commence an application for judicial review”: Smith v. Human Rights Commission (N.B.) etal. (1999), (NB CA), 217 N.B.R. (2d) 336, [1999] N.B.J.
No. 392 (C.A.) (QL), per Drapeau J.A. (as he then was), atpara. 25. The stringent test governing extensions of time in judicial review matters is a reflection of the need for effective public decision-making.This case perfectly illustrates the type of chaos that might occur if one were able to circumvent judicial review as the exclusive means bywhich one could seek to have the decision of the Town Council set aside.
Without a strict limitation period for having the decision setaside, how could a municipality possibly know when it could safely hire someone to replace the dismissed officer, to avoid the situationof having two individuals in the same role, both with the same security of tenure guaranteed by s. 74(5)? It could not; at least not untilthe limitation for commencing an action also expired. That would certainly not be what one would call “effective public decision-making”, and would certainly not be a model of precision and clarity.
The lack of a strict limitation period would lead to unreliablepublic administration, and to a confused public of the type MacDonald C.J.N.S. spoke in Central Halifax Community Association. [paras.27-29] [32] Similarly, in Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Attorney General and the Minister of Justice v.Charlotte County Barristers’ Society Inc., 2016 NBCA 32, 450 N.B.R. (2d) 310, Richard J.A. stated: In New Brunswick, judicial review of administrative action is governed by Rule 69 of the Rules of Court and is generally subject to astrict limitation period in all but exceptional circumstances.
Rule 69.03 provides that, unless the time limit is extended, an application forjudicial review must be commenced within three months “from the date of the order, conviction, commitment, warrant, decision, awardor refusal to act” that is sought to be reviewed. In any particular case, determining when the three-month time limit begins to run is notan arduous exercise. In the case of a decision, the three months usually begin to run when the decision is pronounced, either at a hearingor by notification to the parties.
However, when what is challenged by judicial review is a government decision communicated to thepublic at large, the date upon which the three-month time limit begins to run may be more difficult to ascertain. This is such a case. […] The situation in that case involved a municipal employee who was seeking reinstatement more than 20 months after his dismissal. Whilethat is very different from the present case, the underlying principles are nonetheless applicable. There needs to be finality.
That finality,as contemplated by MacDonald C.J.N.S. in Central Halifax, Bell J.A. in LeBlanc, and this Court in Mourant, is finality for the decision-maker. The decision-making body must be able to organize its affairs secure in the knowledge that, barring exceptional circumstances, atime will come when its decision is beyond judicial challenge.
This highlights the need for those wishing to challenge a decision byjudicial review – assuming of course that the decision is legally open to such challenge – to act with due dispatch or else risk having theirapplication dismissed. [paras. 1 and 40] [33] In this case, the Crown timber allocations, which are the subject of the Judicial Review Application, wereissued and have been in effect since June 2015. The documents disclosed to Miramichi Lumber in the RTIPPA response (i.e.
Schedule“F” to the Forest Management Agreements for all licences including Licence 3) were issued pursuant to the Act and Regulations in June2015 and were publicly available documents. [34] Moreover, the Province had already produced
Schedule “F” for Licence 3 to Miramichi Lumber in the Actionwhich has been ongoing since 2014.
Schedule “F” for Licence 3 was marked as an exhibit at the examination for discovery of DanielAnderson on September 21, 2015. [35] Miramichi Lumber has specifically acknowledged in various other proceedings which it initiated relating to the2015 Crown timber allocations that it was aware the timber allocations originally made in 2015 remained in effect. [36] As counsel for the intervenor, J.D. Irving, Limited, states in her submission: The instant case illustrates how the stability of the public administration system would be undermined unless the time limit pertaining to
judicial review applications is strictly enforced. In the instant case, the Appellants seek to challenge allocations of Crown timber made tovarious licensees and sub-licensees (who rely significantly upon such allocations for their business operations) years after theseallocations have been made. To allow such an untimely challenge to proceed would not only undermine the stability of the publicadministration system, but would subject it to chaos.
Consequently, the conclusion of the Motions Judge that the Judicial ReviewApplication is time-barred is consistent with the evidence and all applicable authorities and is not characterized by any palpable oroverriding error which would subject it to appellate intervention. [para. 31] I agree. D.
Did the application judge err in law in finding the application was a multiplicity of proceedings resulting in an abuse of process? [37] The application judge determined the Application was an abuse of process and exercised his discretion todismiss it pursuant to s. 26(9) of the Judicature Act, stating: The 2014 action that (sic) has been underway at great expense for a long time. The Province and MLPI are sifting through the evidenceto prepare for trial and getting their experts lined up. They have amended the pleadings repeatedly. They have that case in focus. Thataction is going on.
Here, MLPI and the Province are at it again with MLPI in effect trying to appeal a decision made in 2015 for the allocation of wood, bythis Notice of Application they filed in August 2018. […] This application for judicial review appears to me to be an example of multiplicity of proceedings and what the old cases refer to as abuseof process. What needs to be done here, obviously, is for MLPI to push on with the action which it filed in 2014, and to get this dispute infor trial. This Notice of Application for judicial review of a 2015 decision for an allocation of wood, in my view, is not helpful.
For thesereasons I allow the motion of the Province and this Notice of Application for judicial review by Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. andDaniel Anderson is dismissed. [paras. 18-19 and 24] [38] Section 26(9) of the Judicature Act, provides as follows: 26(9) The Court in the exercise of thejurisdiction vested therein by this Act inevery cause or matter pending before theCourt has power to grant, and shall grant,either absolutely or on such reasonable termsand conditions as to the Court seems just, allsuch remedies whatsoever as any of theparties thereto may appear to be entitled to inrespect of any and every legal or equitableclaim properly brought forward by themrespectively in such cause or matter, so that asfar as possible all matters so in controversybetween the said parties respectively, may becompletely and finally determined, and allmultiplicity of legal proceedings concerningany of such matters avoided. 26(9) Dans l’exercice de la compétence quela présente loi lui attribue à cet égard danstoute cause ou question dont elle est saisie, laCour a le pouvoir d’accorder et doit accorder,soit purement et simplement, soit auxconditions raisonnables qu’elle estime justes,tous les recours auxquels toute
partie à cettecause ou question paraît avoir droitrelativement à toute demande, en equity ou encommon law, que cette
partie a régulièrementporté devant elle dans cette cause ou questionafin, autant que possible, de réglerdéfinitivement et complètement toutes lesquestions en litige entre ces parties t d’éviterla multiplicité des procédures juridiques àl’égard de ces questions en litige. [39] The courts have consistently held that s. 26(9) of the Judicature Act is a statutory direction from theLegislature to interpret the Rules of Court in a manner which, wherever possible, avoids a multiplicity of proceedings (Ferris v.
Marshall(Litigation Administrator of), 2009 NBQB 194, 345 N.B.R. (2d) 273, at para. 12; and Deware (Litigation Guardian of) v. Legg (1993), (NB BR), 142 N.B.R. (2d) 236, [1993] N.B.J. No. 512 (Q.B.) (QL), at para. 5).
[40] In accordance with s. 26(9) of the Judicature Act, courts will typically exercise their discretion to declineconsideration of the same issues involving the same parties in separate proceedings. In Forsythe v. Furlotte, 2016 NBCA 6, 447 N.B.R.(2d) 48, Richard J.A. quoted, at para. 28, from the decision in Toronto (City) v. C.U.P.E.
Local 79, 2003 SCC 63, [2003] S.C.R. 77, inwhich Arbour J. held at paras. 36-37 and 43 that “[t]he doctrine of abuse of process is used in a variety of legal contexts” and “engages‘the inherent power of the court to prevent the misuse of its procedure, in a way that would …bring the administration of justice intodisrepute.’” The primary focus of the doctrine of abuse of process is “the integrity of the adjudicative functions of court.” [41] A court will strike a proceeding as an abuse of process it if raises the same issues already addressed in anotherongoing proceeding. In Perley v.
Sypher (1990), (NB CA), 109 N.B.R. (2d) 427, [1990] N.B.J.
No. 866 (QL) (C.A.),this Court upheld a decision of a motion judge granting a motion for an order striking an action on the ground it raised issues which werealready considered in a separate, ongoing action and was, therefore, an abuse of process. [42] In the Application, Miramichi Lumber is seeking a determination of the principal issue which is pursued in theaction and was raised in the various other proceedings which were initiated: whether certain allocations of timber granted by the Ministerare authorized by the Act or Regulations. [43] As mentioned earlier, the Application is the third in a series of proceedings initiated by Miramichi Lumberwithin approximately the last 18 months which directly or indirectly challenge the validity of Crown timber allocations made to certainlicencees and sub-licencees.
These proceedings included the production motion initiated in 2016 and the Application for a Declarationinitiated in February 2018. [44] The action represents ongoing prior litigation involving the same principal parties and the same issues. It is aprocedure in which Miramichi Lumber has the burden of proof and which is more comprehensive in scope. Applying the test delineatedin EMO (Township) v. Ontario (Clean Water Agency), [2001] O.J.
No. 3059 (S.C.J.) (Q.L.), the application was properly dismissed infavour of the existing action. [45] The conclusion of the application judge that the Judicial Review Application created a multiplicity ofproceedings and constituted an abuse of process is supported by the evidence and is consistent with the applicable authorities.Consequently, there is no basis upon which to interfere with this conclusion based upon a standard of palpable and overriding error orany other standard of review. VI.
Conclusion [46] The determinations made by the application judge are all consistent with the existing jurisprudence and theevidence on the record before him. There is no justification for appellate intervention. VII. Disposition [47] I would dismiss the appeal. With a view to reflecting the participation levels of the respondent and theintervenors, I would order costs payable to Province of New Brunswick in the amount of $5,000. I would award costs payable to theintervenor J.D. Irving, Limited, in the amount of $5,000, and to the remaining intervenors, I would award one set of costs in the amountof $3,000.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG
I. Introduction [1] Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et Daniel Anderson soutiennent qu’un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision lorsqu’il a rejeté une requête en révision pour le motif qu’elle était prescrite en application de la règle 69.03 des Règles de procédure .
La requête contestait une décision qui aurait été prise par le ministère du Développement de l’Énergie et des Ressources et qui accordait certaines allocations de bois dans la région de Nepisiguit- Miramichi en vertu du permis de coupe n o 3 visant des terres de la Couronne. [2] La question principale dont notre Cour est saisie est celle de savoir si une lettre expédiée par un ministère en réponse à une demande d’accès à l’information faite en application de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection de la vie privée , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. R-10.6 , constitue une « décision » qui est susceptible de contrôle judiciaire. À mon avis, la réponse du ministère, dans laquelle l’information sollicitée était fournie, ne constituait pas une décision et je rejetterais l’appel. II. Contexte [3] À l’été 2014, Miramichi Lumber a intenté une action à la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick dans laquelle elle alléguait que la Province avait violé diverses ententes.
Dans son action, Miramichi Lumber soutenait que la Province lui avait accordé l’autorisation de récolter, chaque année sur des terres de la Couronne, 130 000 mètres cubes de « bois à scier », et qu’elle lui avait accordé, après cette première allocation, l’autorisation de récolter chaque année la quantité supplémentaire de 37 981 mètres cubes de « bois en longueur » et de 9 339 mètres cubes de bois à scier sur certaines quantités de bois des terres de la Couronne n’ayant pas fait l’objet d’allocations.
En réponse, la Province a affirmé, entre autres, qu’elle n’avait pas autorisé la récolte de bois à scier, mais plutôt de « matériaux à scier ». Dans sa réplique, Miramichi Lumber a soutenu que la Province peut uniquement faire des allocations d’« espèces » et de « catégories » de bois des terres de la Couronne, lesquelles sont décrites dans la
Loi sur les terres et forêts de la Couronne , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. C-38.1 (la « Loi ») ou dans son Règlement d’application, et que ni « les matériaux à scier » ni « le bois en longueur » ne sont des catégories de bois qui y sont mentionnées.
En conséquence, la question principale à trancher en l’espèce est celle de savoir si les allocations de bois faites par la Province ont été faites conformément à la Loi et au Règlement . [4] Dans l’action intentée, Miramichi Lumber prétend que la Province ne peut permettre aux titulaires de sous-permis de coupe de récolter sur les terres de la Couronne des espèces ou des catégories de bois qui ne sont pas spécifiquement mentionnées dans la Loi ou le Règlement .
Miramichi Lumber a présenté d’autres demandes ayant trait à cette allégation voulant que la Province ait fait des allocations de certaines espèces ou catégories de bois qui n’étaient pas autorisées par la Loi ou le Règlement : a. En 2016, Miramichi Lumber a déposé une motion, dans le cadre de l’action principale, dans laquelle elle sollicitait une ordonnance prescrivant à la Province de fournir certains plans industriels, présentés par les intervenantes J.D.
Irving, Limited et Fornebu Lumber Company, qui contenaient des renseignements confidentiels et exclusifs pour ces titulaires de sous-permis de coupe de bois sur les terres de la Couronne, dans le but avoué de déterminer si ces titulaires de sous-permis avaient reçu des allocations d’espèces et de catégories de bois autorisées par la Loi ou le Règlement. b.
En février 2018, Miramichi Lumber a présenté une requête afin d’obtenir un jugement déclaratoire portant que l’allocation de bois accordée par certains sous-permis de coupe sur les terres de la Couronne visait des espèces et des catégories de bois qui n’étaient pas autorisées par la Loi ou le Règlement et, par conséquent, que cette allocation était nulle parce qu’elle outrepassait la compétence du Ministre. c.
S’agissant de la requête en révision qui nous occupe en l’espèce, Miramichi Lumber avait sollicité une ordonnance en annulation de certaines allocations de bois sur les terres de la Couronne, au moyen que ces allocations visaient une catégorie de bois qui n’était pas autorisée par la Loi ou le Règlement et qu’elles étaient donc non valides. [5] Avant la tenue des audiences prévues au calendrier, Miramichi Lumber a abandonné tant la motion visant la communication des documents que la requête sollicitant un jugement déclaratoire, mais seulement une fois que les parties intimées eurent consacré des ressources considérables en réponse à ces procédures.
[6] La requête en révision judiciaire devait être entendue le 18 septembre 2018. Le 29 août 2018, la Province a présenté une motion sollicitant les mesures suivantes : a. que la requête en révision judiciaire soit rejetée puisqu’elle est prescrite en application de la règle 69.03 des Règles de procédure ; b. que la requête en révision judiciaire soit rejetée en application du paragraphe 26(9) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2, du fait qu’elle constitue une mesure sournoise, une contestation incidente et un abus de procédure; c. que le nom de Daniel Anderson soit rayé en tant que
partie en application de la règle 5.04(2), étant donné qu’il n’a pas qualité pour agir. [7] La requête a été entendue le 11 décembre 2018. Dans une décision rendue oralement le même jour, le juge a rejeté la requête en révision judiciaire pour le motif que le délai de prescription de trois mois prévu à la règle 69.03 avait expiré avant le dépôt et que la requête constituait une multiplicité de procédures et, par conséquent, un abus de procédure. Le juge a conclu en outre que Daniel Anderson, à
titre d’actionnaire de Miramichi Lumber, n’avait pas la qualité requise pour introduire la requête. [8] Miramichi Lumber interjette appel de la décision rendue par le juge saisi de la requête. III. Moyens d’appel [9] Miramichi Lumber et M.
Anderson soutiennent que le juge a commis trois erreurs, en précisant qu’il a mal interprété la preuve et qu’il a commis une erreur de droit en tirant comme conclusions : a. qu’aucune décision n’avait été prise par le ministère en 2018 concernant les allocations de bois sur les terres de la Couronne, mais qu’une décision avait été prise plutôt en 2015 seulement; b. que Daniel Anderson n’avait pas qualité pour introduire la requête; c. que la requête créait une multiplicité de procédures et donc constituait un abus de procédure. IV. Norme de contrôle A.
Délai de prescription [10] Dans la présente affaire, le juge saisi de la requête a conclu que la requête en révision judiciaire était prescrite et qu’elle devrait être rejetée étant donné qu’elle constituait un abus de procédure.
Notre Cour doit faire preuve de retenue à l’égard de cette décision et elle ne devrait intervenir que si une erreur manifeste et dominante a été commise. [11] S’agissant de la conclusion tirée par le juge saisi de la requête selon laquelle la décision véritable avait été prise par le Ministre en 2015, la question de savoir à quel moment une décision a été prise, aux fins d’un contrôle judiciaire, vise une conclusion de fait au sujet de laquelle la Cour ne devrait intervenir que si une erreur manifeste et dominante a été commise ( Hall c.
Province du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2015 NBCA 71 , 443 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 197 , par. 6 ). [12] S’agissant de la conclusion du juge saisi de la requête selon laquelle la requête était prescrite,
la jurisprudence établit de façon constante que la question de savoir si une procédure judiciaire est prescrite est une question mixte dedroit et de fait au sujet de laquelle une cour ne devrait pas intervenir à moins qu’une erreur manifeste et dominante n’ait été commise (Guarantee Co. of North America c. Gordon Capital Corp., (CSC), [1999] 3 R.C.S. 423, [1999] A.C.S. no 60 (QL),par. 28; Longo c. MacLaren Art Centre, 2014 ONCA 526, [2014] O.J. No. 3242 (QL), par. 38 et 39; Crombie Property Holdings Limitedc. McColl-Frontenac Inc. (Texaco Canada Limited), 2017 ONCA 16, [2017] O.J.
No. 142 (QL), par. 31 (autorisation de pourvoi à la Cour suprême du Canada refusée à [2017] C.S.C.R. no 85); et Fehr c. Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, 2018 ONCA 718, [2018]O.J. No. 4513 (QL), par. 143). Dans l’arrêt Longo, le juge d’appel Hourigan a dit : [TRADUCTION] La question de savoir si un délai de prescription a expiré avant le dépôt d’une déclaration est une question mixte defait et de droit. En conséquence, la question à trancher dans le présent appel est celle de savoir si le juge saisi de la motion a commis uneerreur manifeste et dominante en concluant que la demande était prescrite par la loi.
Il est entendu qu’une erreur manifeste et dominante est une erreur évidente qui est suffisamment importante pour vicier la conclusion defait qui est contestée. L’appelant doit démontrer que l’erreur touche au cœur même de la conclusion de fait qui est contestée et que, enconséquence de l’erreur, le fait ne peut être affirmé sans risque de se tromper : Waxman c.
Waxman (2004), (ON CA), 186 O.A.C. 201, p. 267 (C.A.), autorisation de pourvoi refusée à [2004] C.S.C.R. no 291. [Par. 38 et 39] [13] En conséquence, dans la présente affaire, la Cour doit faire preuve de retenue à l’égard desconclusions tirées par le juge saisi de la requête selon lesquelles la requête devrait être rejetée du fait qu’elle est prescrite par la règle69.03 et qu’elle constitue un usage abusif de la procédure. Les conclusions tirées par le juge sont en harmonie avec la preuve et lessources jurisprudentielles applicables.
Le juge saisi de la requête n’a commis aucune erreur en parvenant à ces conclusions, encore moins« une erreur manifeste et dominante » qui justifierait une intervention en appel. B. Qualité pour agir de Daniel Anderson [14] La conclusion tirée par le juge saisi de la requête concernant la qualité pour agir de l’appelantDaniel Anderson peut faire l’objet d’un contrôle fondé sur la norme de la décision correcte. Dans l’arrêt Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick c. FCT Insurance Company, 2009 NBCA 22, [2009] A.N.-B. no 122 (QL), la juge d’appel Larlee a dit ce qui suit : Le juge du procès a statué sur quatre questions.
Aucune des parties ne s’est beaucoup étendue sur la retenue dont notre Cour doit fairepreuve à l’égard des conclusions du juge du procès car il semble bien que la norme qui doit être appliquée dans chaque cas aille de soi.Le juge du procès a conclu que FCT avait qualité pour intenter une action afin d’obtenir un jugement déclaratoire. Il s’agit d’unequestion de droit et la norme applicable est celle de la décision correcte (voir Housen c. Nikolaisen, [2002] 2 R.S.C. 235, [2002] A.C.S. no 31 (QL), 2002 CSC 33). […] [Par. 24] C.
Abus de procédure [15] La question de savoir si l’introduction d’une procédure judiciaire particulière constitue un abusde procédure est une question mixte de fait et de droit que la Cour doit trancher en exerçant son pouvoir discrétionnaire et la décisionrendue ne doit pas être modifiée à moins qu’une erreur manifeste et dominante n’ait été commise. V. Analyse [16] Dans son
article de revue intitulé « Freedom of Information in Canada : Implications forHistorical Research », ((printemps 2015) 75 Labour/Le Travail, p. 102), l’auteur Dominique Clément a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] L’ACCÈS À L’INFORMATION est un droit établi par la loi de lire des documents qui ne sont pas déjà dans ledomaine public. Il y a plus de 120 pays partout dans le monde qui ont adopté des lois sur l’accès à l’information. Selon les auteursAndrew Flinn et Harriet Jones, [TRADUCTION] :
Le phénomène de l’accès à l’information n’est pas une fin en soi, mais il a pour but d’accroître la responsabilisation des organismes gouvernementaux à une époque où, non seulement ces organismes détiennent de vastes quantités de données et de renseignements, mais où la technologie nous procure un moyen sans précédent d’isoler, de remettre en question et d’analyser ces données et ces renseignements de manière efficace. [L’accès à l’information] est maintenant généralement considéré comme un outil ordinaire qui permet d’accroître la transparence et de réduire la corruption et il est perçu dans une large mesure comme un droit fondamental dans tout système de gouvernement sain et démocratique. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [17] Dans cet article, M.
Clément explique aussi que les provinces de la Nouvelle-Écosse et du Nouveau-Brunswick avaient adopté, dans les années 1970, des mesures législatives qui traitaient des droits fondamentaux d’accès à l’information, mais qu’elles n’avaient pas adopté une loi comparable à la loi fédérale avant les années 1980.
Les discussions en comité concernant le Projet de loi 78 ( Droit à l’information ) révèlent la façon dont le Premier ministre Hatfield estimait que l’information serait transmise ( Volume XV : Compte rendu des Débats de l’Assemblée législative de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, session de 1978 , n o 60 (le 27 juin 1978), à la p. 6266) : L’hon. M. HATFIELD : Le ministre détenteur de l’information a la responsabilité, en vertu de la loi, de décider si l’information peut être divulguée .
Vous verrez également qu’il existe un droit d’appel. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [18] Les décisions qui sont rendues sous le régime de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection de la vie privée sont de toute évidence des décisions qui visent uniquement certains renseignements qui ne sont pas actuellement diffusés et qui portent sur la question de savoir si ces renseignements seront diffusés et, le cas échéant, dans quelle mesure. L’
article 2 de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection de la vie privée énonce l’objet de la Loi comme suit :
2 The purposes of this Act are (
a) to allow any person a right of access to records in the custody or under the control of public bodies, subject to the limited and specific exceptions set out in this Act , (
b) to control the manner in which public bodies may collect personal information from individuals and to protect individuals against unauthorized use or disclosure of personal information by public bodies, (
c) to allow individuals a right of access to records containing personal information about themselves in the custody or under the control of public bodies, subject to the limited and specific exceptions set out in this Act , (
d) to allow individuals a right to request corrections to records containing personal information about themselves in the custody or under the control of public bodies, and (
e) to provide for an independent review of the decisions of public bodies under this Act . [Emphasis added.] 2 La présente loi a pour objet :
a) de donner aux personnes le droit d’accès aux documents dont les organismes publics ont la garde ou la responsabilité , sous réserve des exceptions limitées et précises qu’elle prévoit;
b) de régir le mode selon lequel les organismes publics peuvent recueillir des renseignements personnels auprès de personnes physiques et de protéger ces dernières contre l’utilisation ou la communication non autorisée de ces renseignements par ces organismes;
c) de donner aux personnes physiques le droit d’accès aux documents qui contiennent des renseignements personnels les concernant et dont les organismes publics ont la garde ou la responsabilité, sous réserve des exceptions limitées et précises qu’elle prévoit;
d) de donner aux personnes physiques le droit de demander la correction des documents qui contiennent des renseignements personnels les concernant et dont les organismes publics ont la garde ou la responsabilité;
e) de prévoir l’exercice de recours indépendants à l’égard des décisions prises par les organismes publics sous son régime. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [19] Sur cette toile de fond, je passe maintenant à une analyse des moyens d’appel. A.
Le juge saisi de la requête a-t-il commis une erreur en concluant que la réponse du ministère à la demande d’accès à l’information ne constituait pas une décision? [20] Le juge saisi de la requête a conclu que s’il y avait décision susceptible de révision, c’était bien celle que le Ministre avait prise, le 12 juin 2015, concernant des allocations de bois sur les terres de la Couronne, et non la réponse qu’il avait fournie, le 14 mai 2018, à une demande faite sous le régime de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection de la vie privée à l’égard de ces allocations. Le juge saisi de la requête a fourni l’explication suivante : [TRADUCTION] Selon mon interprétation, le Ministre n’a pas rendu une décision en mai 2018. Il s’agissait simplement d’une réponse à une demande d’information faite sous le régime de la procédure prescrite par la loi et qui indiquait que les allocations prévues à l’annexe F et accordées le 12 juin 2015 demeuraient en vigueur. Cette réponse du Ministre en 2018 n’est pas la même chose qu’une décision. [Par. 3]
[21] Le juge saisi de la requête a conclu à bon droit que la réponse à la demande faite sous le régime de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection de la vie privée n’était pas une décision pouvant faire l’objet d’une requête en révision judiciaire. Elle ne constituait pas la décision dans laquelle le Ministre avait accordé des allocations de bois sur les terres de la Couronne, étant donné que la réponse réitérait simplement une décision rendue antérieurement d’accorder ces allocations.
Les tribunaux ont jugé systématiquement qu’une communication qui ne fait que réitérer une décision rendue antérieurement (à la différence d’une décision qui établit réellement des droits ou des obligations) n’est pas une décision pour les fins d’un appel ou d’un contrôle judiciaire.
Une lettre qui réitère simplement une décision prise antérieurement n’est pas en soi une décision susceptible de révision à moins qu’elle constitue un nouvel exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire ou d’un pouvoir décisionnel. [22] Dans l’arrêt Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail du Nouveau-Brunswick c. Comeau , 2018 NBCA 76 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 266 (QL), la Commission avait interjeté appel d’une décision rendue par le Tribunal d’appel ordonnant à la Commission de rendre une décision sur la capacité de M. Comeau de réintégrer le travail en 2007. M.
Comeau avait subi une blessure au travail en 2007 et il avait reçu des indemnités. Il avait été mis fin aux indemnités quelques mois plus tard, après que M. Comeau eut été jugé en mesure de reprendre le travail. En 2017, M. Comeau a avisé le Tribunal d’appel du fait qu’il souhaitait interjeter appel de la décision rendue en 2007, mais il n’a pas sollicité une prorogation du délai imparti pour ce faire. En janvier 2017, la Commission a fait parvenir à M. Comeau une lettre exposant les motifs de la décision qu’elle avait rendue en 2007 de mettre fin aux indemnités. M.
Comeau a décidé d’interjeter appel en soutenant que la lettre de janvier 2017 constituait une « décision ». Il estimait que cette lettre confirmait la décision rendue en 2007. Après avoir conclu qu’il n’avait pas compétence pour entendre l’affaire du fait que la lettre de 2017 ne mettait pas en cause une décision de la Commission, le Tribunal a rejeté l’appel et a demandé à la Commission de rendre une décision concernant la capacité de M. Comeau d’effectuer un retour au travail en 2007.
Même si l’appel que la Commission a interjeté devant notre Cour invoquait comme moyen que le Tribunal n’avait pas compétence pour demander à la Commission de rendre une décision concernant la capacité de M. Comeau d’effectuer un retour au travail en 2007, le juge d’appel Drapeau a examiné la lettre de 2017 et fait les observations suivantes : Il est acquis aux débats que le Tribunal d’appel ne peut être saisi d’un appel qui n’est pas autorisé aux termes de la Loi sur la CSSIAT . Le Tribunal d’appel a décidé que l’appel de M. Comeau à l’encontre de la
partie de la lettre du 23 janvier 2017 qui porte sur la décision du 27 août 2007 ne met pas en cause une « décision » de la Commission. Il a donc rejeté l’appel après avoir constaté son manque de compétence pour l’entendre. [Par. 12] [23] Dans l’arrêt D r D. Anthony Wade c.
Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau- Brunswick, représentée par le ministère de la Santé , 2013 NBCA 55 , 411 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 207, notre Cour a conclu que le D r Wade ne pouvait unilatéralement faire courir à partir d’une date nouvelle le délai de prescription prévu par la règle 69.03 en sollicitant des renseignements supplémentaires concernant une décision qui avait déjà été rendue. Notre Cour a dit ce qui suit : Dans le dessin apparent de faire courir le délai de prescription à compter d’une date nouvelle, M e Gillis a récrit à l'avocat de la Province le 24 mars 2011.
Il lui a demandé, entre autres, ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Notre client aimerait recevoir l’avis d’évaluation finale prévue par les règlements de la
Loi sur le paiement des services médicaux , de sorte qu’il puisse exercer les choix qui pourront s’offrir à lui en appel. […] Je conclus que la thèse d’un délai de prescription qui aurait couru à compter du 25 mars 2011, avancée par le D r Wade, ou d’un délai qui aurait couru à compter de tout autre jour après le 24 janvier 2011, est sans fondement. [Par. 10 et 17] [24] Dans l’arrêt Hall , notre Cour a confirmé la conclusion tirée par le juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle un courriel qui confirmait simplement une décision rendue antérieurement n’était pas, en soi, une décision susceptible de révision.
Voici ce qu’a dit la Cour : […] le juge a conclu qu’une décision à l’égard de la demande de 2010 avait été rendue bien avant le 26 février 2014, contrairement à ce que prétendent les appelants. Plus précisément, le juge a conclu que ladite décision avait été rendue en août 2012, et que, par conséquent, la demande de révision judiciaire sous le régime de la [r]ègle 69 était prescrite.
[…] nous sommes d’avis qu’il existe une preuve abondante pour étayer la conclusion du juge quant à cette conclusion de fait. [Par. 5 et6] [25] Dans la décision Dong c. Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration), 2011 CF 1108, [2011] A.C.F. no 1370 (QL), la Cour fédérale a conclu qu’une lettre confirmant le statut d’une demande de résidence permanente ne constituait pas unedécision susceptible de révision.
La Cour s’est exprimée en ces termes : Le fait qu’il est possible que l’agente des visas ait qualifié la lettre de janvier de décision ne permet pas de savoir si cette lettre constituaitréellement une décision susceptible de révision par la Cour. Ce qui est déterminant, c’est la question de savoir si l’agente des visas aprocédé à un « nouvel exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire » Choudhary c. Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration), [2000] A.C.F. no 843, aux paragraphes 15 et 16; Brar c.
Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration), (CF), [1997] A.C.F. no 1527, au paragraphe 8). [Par. 19] [26] Tout comme les personnes dans les causes citées précédemment, Miramichi Lumber a tenté deranimer le délai de prescription applicable à la requête en présentant une demande d’information concernant une décision rendueantérieurement et elle cherche maintenant à qualifier la réponse fournie de décision susceptible de révision, décision qui porte en l’espècesur des allocations de bois, alors que la véritable décision a été rendue en 2015. [27] Le juge saisi de la requête a conclu, à bon droit, que la réponse à la demande présentée sous lerégime de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection de la vie privée n’était pas une décision susceptible de révision aux fins de larequête. La réponse contenait simplement l’information déjà fournie. Il ne s’agissait pas d’un nouvel exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaireet, en conséquence, la réponse ne peut pas être considérée comme une décision. La décision rendue par le juge saisi de la requête est enharmonie avec la preuve et les sources jurisprudentielles applicables.
Le juge saisi de la requête n’a commis aucune erreur sur cet aspectde la décision, encore moins une erreur manifeste et dominante qui justifierait une intervention en appel. B. Le juge saisi de la requête a-t-il commis une erreur de droit en concluant que Daniel Anderson n’avait pas qualité pouragir? [28] Étant donné que la requête en révision est prescrite par la règle 69.03, la question de savoir sil’appelant, Daniel Anderson, a qualité pour agir est sans portée pratique. Quoiqu’il en soit, le juge saisi de la requête a conclu à bon droitque M. Anderson n’avait pas qualité pour agir dans la requête en révision.
La conclusion qu’il a tirée sur cette question est en harmonieavec les sources jurisprudentielles qui établissent systématiquement que la qualité d’actionnaire au sein d’une société qui est
partie à uneaction ne crée pas un lien suffisant par rapport à l’action pour conférer à la personne la qualité nécessaire pour être
partie à l’action. Dansl’arrêt Telecommunications Workers Union c. Canada (Conseil de la radiodiffusion et des télécommunications), (CSC), [1995] 2 R.C.S. 781, [1995] A.C.S. no 55 (QL), la juge L’Heureux-Dubé a cité en l’approuvant la décision Canadian Transit Co. c. Canada (Commission des relations de travail dans la Fonction publique), (CAF), [1989] A.C.F. no 527 (QL) (C.A.),à la p. 614 : […] un particulier doit être touché directement et nécessairement par la décision à rendre.
Son intérêt ne doit pas être simplementindirect ou éventuel, comme c’est le cas lorsqu’une décision peut l’atteindre par un intermédiaire étranger aux préoccupations dutribunal, tel un rapport contractuel avec une des parties directement concernées. [Par. 31] [Souligné dans l’original.] [29] Dans la décision Canada (Procureur général) c. Watkin, 2007 CF 745, [2007] A.C.F. no 990 (QL), confirmé pour d’autres motifs à 2008 CAF 170, [2008] A.C.F. no 710 (QL), la juge Tremblay-Lamer a conclu qu’un actionnaired’une société n’avait pas qualité pour agir devant une commission des droits de la personne.
Plus précisément, elle a dit : Il est de jurisprudence constante qu’une société a une personnalité juridique distincte de celle de ses actionnaires et de sesadministrateurs. Seule une personne morale peut présenter une demande pour obtenir réparation du préjudice qui lui a été causé; lesactionnaires d’une société ne peuvent exercer un droit de recours individuel pour le préjudice subi par la société dont ils détiennent des
actions. […] Bien que l’arrêt Foss c. Harbottle remonte à plus de 160 ans, la Cour suprême du Canada a réaffirmé son applicabilité au Canada dansl’arrêt Hercules Managements Ltd. c. Ernst & Young, (CSC), [1997] 2 R.C.S. 165. En conséquence, le défendeur n’a pas qualité, en tant qu’actionnaire de Nutraceutical, pour déposer une plainte en vertu de la Loi au sujetdu traitement discriminatoire que Santé Canada aurait fait subir à Biomedica. Le défendeur et Biomedica sont des entités juridiquesdistinctes et, du point de vue juridique, le défendeur n’est pas personnellement concerné par la plainte en litige.
En choisissant de structurer ses affaires commerciales par la création de deux personnes morales distinctes, Biomedica et Neutraceutical,le défendeur a retiré de nombreux avantages, dont la limitation de sa responsabilité n’est pas le moindre. Ainsi que la Cour d’appel del’Ontario l’a expliqué, dans l’arrêt Meditrust, précité, au paragraphe 31, en agissant de la sorte [TRADUCTION] « […] on doit accepterles inconvénients de la structure en question, pas seulement ses avantages. » [Par. 30 à 33] Le juge saisi de la requête n’a pas commis d’erreur en concluant que M. Anderson n’avait pas qualité pour agir. C.
Les appelants n’ont pas introduit la requête en révision judiciaire dans un délai de trois mois après la décision [30] Ainsi que l’a décidé à bon droit le juge saisi de la requête, la décision véritable qui fait l’objetde la requête en révision est la décision rendue en 2015 concernant l’allocation de bois sur les terres de la Couronne, non pas la réponsedemandée et reçue en 2018 sous le régime de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection à la vie privée. En conséquence, larequête en révision a été présentée après la date limite puisqu’elle a été introduite en dehors du délai de prescription de trois mois prévupar la règle 69.03, qui est rédigée ainsi : 69.03 When Proceedings Commenced Subject to any Act, an application under thisrule shall be commenced within 3 monthsfrom the date of the order, conviction,commitment, warrant, decision, award orrefusal to act which is complained of but thecourt may, (
a) on appropriate terms, (
b) either before or after the expiration of thetime limited herein, and (
c) if a delay will not cause substantialprejudice to anyone, extend the time for commencing theapplication. 69.03 Quand introduire l’instance
Sous réserve de toute disposition d’une loi,toute requête formulée en application de laprésente règle doit être introduite dans les 3mois de la date de l’ordonnance, de ladéclaration de culpabilité, de l’incarcération,du mandat, de la décision, de la sentencearbitrale ou du défaut d’exécution contesté.La cour peut cependant,
a) aux conditions qui conviennent,
b) soit avant soit après l’expiration du délaiaccordé dans les présentes et
c) si le retard ne cause à personne unpréjudice sérieux, prolonger le délai pour l’introduction de larequête. [31] Notre Cour a sans cesse insisté sur l’importance primordiale de se conformer strictement au
délai prescrit par la règle 69.03 afin d’assurer la stabilité, l’efficacité et la fiabilité du processus d’administration publique. Dans l’arrêt Mourant c. Town of Sackville, 2014 NBCA 56, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 330, le juge d’appel Richard (tel était alors son titre) s’est exprimé ences termes : La révision judiciaire constitue la procédure exclusive pour obtenir pareille réparation pour de bonnes raisons, notamment le fait que laprise de décision administrative doit revêtir un certain caractère définitif.
Une décision administrative doit être contestée dans un délaibeaucoup plus rigoureux que le délai de prescription normal prévu pour présenter une demande en dommages-intérêts. Le juge Bell asouligné l’importance de cette différence dans Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c. LeBlanc, Jeffery, MacMullin et Agnew, 2013 NBCA 9, 398 R.N.-B. (2e) 83, en faisant siens les propos suivants du juge MacDonald, juge en chef de la Nouvelle-Écosse, dans CentralHalifax Community Association c. Halifax (Regional Municipality), 2007 NSCA 39, [2007] N.S.J.
No. 135 (QL), autorisation de pourvoi refusée, [2007] C.S.C.R. no 279 : [TRADUCTION] Une prise de décision publique efficace commande, par sa nature même, précision et clarté. Des décisions publiques inabouties ouincomplètes deviennent source d’inconstance dans l’administration publique et de confusion du public. Pour parvenir à la stabilitérequise, il est crucial que le processus de prise de décision publique revête un caractère définitif.
Fonctionnaires et citoyens doiventsavoir précisément, les uns et les autres, quand et comment les tribunaux pourront intervenir par suite de ces décisions. [...] [Par. 25] La règle 69.03 prévoit qu’une requête en révision « doit être introduite dans les 3 mois de la date de l’ordonnance, de la déclaration deculpabilité, de l’incarcération, du mandat, de la décision, de la sentence arbitrale ou du défaut d’exécution contesté ».
Même si la règlepermet au tribunal de proroger le délai prévu pour l’introduction de cette requête, notre Cour a déclaré que [TRADUCTION] « en dehorsde circonstances très exceptionnelles, un délai de trois mois est amplement suffisant pour permettre à la
partie lésée de présenter une requête en révision » : Smith c. Human Rights Commission (N.B.) et al. (1999), (NB CA), 217 R.N.-B. (2e) 336, [1999] A.N.-B. no 392 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Drapeau (tel était alors son titre), au par. 25. Le critère d’application rigoureuse régissant la prorogation du délai dans les affaires de révision judiciaire reflète la nécessité d’une prisede décision efficace de la part des instances publiques.
La présente affaire illustre parfaitement le type de chaos susceptible de survenirs’il était possible de se soustraire à la procédure de révision judiciaire, seul moyen par lequel il est possible d’obtenir l’annulation de ladécision du conseil municipal. Sans délai de prescription strict pour faire annuler la décision, comment une municipalité pourrait-ellesavoir quand elle peut remplacer le fonctionnaire renvoyé sans risque de se retrouver avec deux personnes occupant la même fonction etbénéficiant de la même stabilité d’emploi garantie par le par. 74(5)?
Elle ne le pourrait pas, du moins pas avant que le délai prévu pourintenter une action ne soit lui aussi expiré. Ce ne serait certainement pas ce que l’on appelle une « prise de décision publique efficace » niun modèle de précision et de clarté. L’absence d’un délai de prescription strict deviendrait une source d’inconstance dansl’administration publique et de confusion du public, comme l’a indiqué le juge MacDonald dans Central Halifax CommunityAssociation. [Par. 27 à 29] [32] Pareillement, dans Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Procureur général et le ministre de la Justice c.
Charlotte County Barristers’ Society Inc., 2016 NBCA 32, 450 R.N.-B. (2e) 310, le juge d’appel Richard a dit cequi suit : Au Nouveau-Brunswick, le contrôle judiciaire des mesures administratives est régi par la règle 69 des Règles de procédure et estgénéralement assujetti à un délai de prescription rigoureux, sauf circonstances exceptionnelles.
La règle 69.03 dispose qu’à moins que ledélai ne soit prolongé, une requête en révision doit être introduite dans les trois mois « de la date de l’ordonnance, de la déclaration deculpabilité, de l’incarcération, du mandat, de la décision, de la sentence arbitrale ou du défaut d’exécution » dont on sollicite la révision.Dans une instance précise, il n’est pas difficile de déterminer à quel moment le délai de prescription de trois mois commence à courir.Dans le cas d’une décision, le délai de trois mois court habituellement à compter du moment où la décision est prononcée, que ce soit enaudience ou par notification de la décision aux parties.
Toutefois, lorsque ce que l’on conteste au moyen de la requête en révision estune décision du gouvernement communiquée au public, la date à laquelle le délai de prescription de trois mois commence à courir peutêtre plus difficile à déterminer. C’est le cas en l’espèce. […] Il s’agissait dans cette affaire, d’un fonctionnaire municipal qui sollicitait sa réintégration plus de vingt mois après son congédiement.Bien que cette situation soit très différente de celle qui nous occupe, les principes sous-jacents sont néanmoins applicables. Un certaincaractère définitif est nécessaire.
Ce caractère définitif, qui est envisagé par le juge en chef MacDonald dans l’arrêt Central Halifax, parle juge Bell dans l’arrêt LeBlanc, et par notre Cour dans l’arrêt Mourant, est le caractère définitif de la décision que prend le décideur.L’organisme décisionnel doit être en mesure d’organiser ses affaires en ayant la certitude que, sauf circonstances exceptionnelles,
viendra le moment où sa décision sera insusceptible de contestation judiciaire. Cela montre donc la nécessité pour les personnes qui souhaitent contester une décision par voie de requête en révision – à supposer, bien sûr, que la décision puisse légalement faire l’objet d’une contestation de cette nature – d’agir avec la diligence voulue, sans quoi elles risquent de voir leur requête rejetée. [Par. 1 et 40] [33] En l’espèce, les allocations de bois qui font l’objet de la requête en révision ont été accordées déjà et sont en vigueur depuis le mois de juin 2015. Les documents communiqués à Miramichi Lumber dans la réponse à la demande faite en application de la
Loi sur le droit à l’information et la protection de la vie privée (c’est-à-dire l’annexe « F » jointe aux ententes d’aménagement forestier pour tous les permis, notamment le permis n o 3) ont été fournis en application de la Loi et du Règlement en juin 2015 et le public avait accès à ces documents. [34] Qui plus est, la Province avait déjà communiqué à Miramichi Lumber l’annexe « F » jointe au permis n o 3 dans le cadre de l’action qui est en instance depuis 2014.
L’annexe « F » jointe au permis de coupe n o 3 a été cotée comme pièce à l’interrogatoire préalable de Daniel Anderson le 21 septembre 2015. [35] Miramichi Lumber a précisément reconnu, au cours des diverses instances qu’elle a intentées relativement aux allocations de bois accordées en 2015 sur les terres de la Couronne, qu’elle était au courant du fait que les allocations de bois faites à l’origine en 2015 demeuraient en vigueur. [36] Ainsi que l’indique dans ses observations l’avocate de l’intervenante J.D.
Irving, Limited : [TRADUCTION] La présente affaire illustre à quel point la stabilité du système d’administration publique serait affaiblie si le délai de prescription relati